Learn More
Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.23/5

TurboTax is a user-friendly tax preparation software program. TurboTax walks you through your state and federal taxes with clear prompts, letting you pay, file and receive returns immediately. TurboTax subtracts its fees from your federal refund with your permission. TurboTax also guarantees to cover any IRS or state debt resulting from a calculation error.

Intuit - TurboTax Reviews

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

I never had any problems with TurboTax till now. My refund was 4,000 less. I called the IRS. They said I don't owe any money. I called the Bureau Fiscal Services. Put in my SS#. It said no offsets are added on the account. The IRS gave me the number to the bank of TurboTax. This people will not answer. When they answered they hung up twice.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

I used TurboTax this year, because of my filing it wasn't free as stated!! So they told me to upgrade to 39.99 which I did, then they took another 39.99 off to direct deposit for money! This is horrible, so the 83.28 it cost me to file my taxes, I will not use them again, and I don't recommend them to anyone. When you need the money and they do this to you. This is not good!!

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

What a nightmare this year. I have never had any problems with TT 'til now. I was automatically entered into the self employment version, something new. Twice the cost. I was ok until I noticed that they had me paying a self employment tax despite the fact that I ran a deficit. No one could fix it despite talking to 5 different staff members. I tried to talk to Tech support but first they didn't call me back, then on a second try they called, I answered the phone and the recording said sorry. That was the last time they would try to reach me and I was disconnected.

Finally reached another regular support person who said I had to delete everything and start over after spending hours completing my return. I cried but followed instructions to use Premier version. Much to my horror I discovered that I could not take any deductions for expenses on my 1099K earnings with that version and I would be paying more than $6K more in tax. So back I went to the original Self Employment version. Still had me paying the stupid SE tax which I don't owe. Now I don't know how to proceed. Seems easier to just pay the extra tax and be done with it.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

They've charged me $122.00 just for regular basic returns. It took me three damn days to find the right person, a supervisor. She gracefully processed me a refund fee check. TurboTax services is just horrible.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

I called customer service due to a declined transaction from my bank's teller and the atm. The women was no help. She kept telling me to go to a different bank or Walmart...WTF? They are going to decline it too!!! Then she tells me there's a daily limit on my refund withdrawal! Are you kidding me??? She was no help at all and did not know anything! She couldn't even tell me why my withdraw was declined! Her excuse? My bank has their own regulations. God I wish I never got this card. I will never ever ever use this service again! In what world does this make any sense??? Holding someone's money from them?

So basically I can't pay any of my bills or have cash on hand! I would have never agreed to this had I known this was what I was signing up for! I am very very angry at TurboTax for even considering this joke of a company for their customers! And the worst part when I asked the women to speak with a supervisor she said he was unavailable and she could put in a priority call back within 24 hours! That is not priority! What kind of service is this! This company has screwed me over completely!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Intuit - TurboTax?

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

TurboTax charge me Completed taxes however I received a letter from the IRS stating they did not have form 8962. Try to contact TurboTax but could not reach anyone but a recording. They did not complete form 1092A and I cannot get my refund unless it is completed. Still trying to reach someone to assist with this form. Not worth the money.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

Can't get a hold of a live customer service rep. Been on hold for over 3 hours and counting. Can't use my card. Can only withdraw $3,000 a month off card. This is ridiculous. Please don't go with them. I have used TurboTax for years now. I will not use them ever again after this!!!

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

Received my return on the prepaid card. Went to my bank to withdraw funds and it was declined. Called CS. No one knows what they are talking about plus I had to wait over 45 minutes on hold. After talking to 3 different people and a supervisor nothing was taken care of. Pretty sad that you can only withdraw $3000 in one month either teller withdrawals or ATM!!! Will never use the prepaid card again!!! Beware!!! Not all it's cracked up to be!!! Plus none of this is disclosed when you sign up for the card... Plus the fact that they don't even care.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

I used TurboTax this year for my federal only and they still took out 80 dollars instead of 40. But they want 40 dollars just to talk to a live agent! I will never use them again! We need to start an class action suit against them!

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

The amount they charge you isn't even shown on the page when you submit the payment. They have a discount for doing taxes early, and also you can get a discount through certain financial institutions. They don't clearly show which discount you're getting, if any. When I called to ask about which discounts were available, or whether there was a deadline for the financial institution discount, or whether the discounts could be combined, the rep started reading a rote answer that was not to the point.

On the website it says "discount up to X" but that could mean nothing -- they don't give the exact amount. Especially since they cost more than other tax software, they should be clearer about this. Also, they keep trying to sell you up throughout the data entry process, they ask repeatedly if you want to pay something like $100 more for audit support. At the end, they give you the opportunity to write a review, but they are intrusive in how much information they ask - all about your personal tax situation, which you don't necessarily want to share in a review.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

For the 2nd year I have incurred problems with the state of Wisconsin in the business version. Last year they kept telling me that the forms were not available and that was why I could not e-file the state of Wisconsin. I called both the IRS AND the state of Wisconsin and was told that TurboTax was not telling the truth. It took almost a month before they finally corrected the situation.

Now this year I paid for the state of Wisconsin but it will not download. I've called TurboTax 3 times now and have been on the phone over 5 hours and accomplished nothing. They did tell me today that the problem was because the forms were not available. I told them that was the same excuse I got last year which was not true. This will be my last year with TurboTax. I'm tired of their excuses. I was hung up on tonight on my phone call to TurboTax.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

TurboTax is very misleading and does not make it clear that you are paying $84.78 to use their program to file your state and federal return. Do not use them!!! You can go to H&R Block for this charge. This is the first time TurboTax has done this and from the almost 3000 complaints I hope a class action lawsuit will refund everyone's money. It's a shame that companies that at one time did things the correct way turns into crooks and decides to rob and cheat people. I have used them previously with no problems, so I didn't check online reviews. I called the customer service number and they refuse to refund your money. Check the online reviews and don't get ripped off like I and almost 3000 other people have. Beware this company!!

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

I purchased the deluxe version for 39.99 because that was going to give me my best refund and the most money. I should have checked with a different company because I could not figure out how to file and mail my state with them. I went and looked at freetaxusa.com and found I would have gotten five dollars more on my taxes and not paid any fees. When I called the company I was hung up on three times and when I finally got a reply it was sorry but you filed and the guarantee is only if you pay the fee but don't file which makes no sense because the only reason you would pay the fee is if you filed. I have proof from the other company that I did not need to pay a 40 deluxe fee to get the amount I got on my taxes. I will never use the company again and I would suggest if you go to use this company try other companies first like Freetaxusa.com who will probably have a bigger refund and no fees.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

I'm a moron for using TurboTax this year, I'll admit it. Taken for a ride, I was. I had it in my head that they offered a good service for next to free based on years of use, but after they ate my $120 this year, that reputation is ruined in my mind. Infuriating.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2019

My first year with TT. Multiple SOFTWARE problems. Modules don't work together on property sales. Doesn't accurately handle land and improvements depreciation. My version is taking depreciation on the land. Also when sale is entered in business property sales module it automatically puts one full year's depreciation into the property expenses section. I only owned property for 80 days and dep should be prorated. When I go in to manually prorate it the software doubles up the gain I have on the sale.

On phone with TT their first rep was really good, much better than the rep he escalated the problem to. After a long time I was able to get all info removed so I could start over. Put in info again in a different order and still have same problem. I may have to print out the return from TT, replace the wrong pages with pages done by hand and manually file. I am very serious about providing accurate info to the IRS and it doesn't look like TurboTax software can do this on its own. This is a real bummer.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2019

The Intuit card will not let me go inside and make a cash advance at all. Only lets me pull 1000 a day at the atm and now won't let me at all. We are trying to buy a car because mine blew up and we are gonna lose our chance to do it. Plus we are losing money because of atm fees. This is **!!! I can't stand the ** anymore!!! These people are ** horrible. The Intuit cards are **. Last year the day it got on the card we were able to go down and pull all of our cash off immediately. This year they have blocked our ability completely!!! We sat on the phone for 3 hours and never talked to a single live person during a weekday from 1030 am to 130 am. We finally hung up. We have screenshots and everything. The banks we are going to have no limit withdraw and a no limit cash advance. So the fault is the card company.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2019

I have used TurboTax the past 2 years. Everything was fine, no problem. It always charges a fee - NOT FREE, FREE, FREE. Lol...I expected that, but my refund was for 4,100.00. When finished, the amount deposited in my account was 3,526.00!!! I never would have accepted that fee! I didn’t even file my state taxes! After almost 4 years, I finally quit my job. So I have no income and REALLY needed this money - MY money. I feel like I was just robbed! How is that justified? I understand there is a fee for the new form to be filed for health insurance, ok. That’s maybe 100.00? And a fee for the TurboTax card - 100.00? Where’s the rest?

Original review: Feb. 24, 2019

Incompetent people working for TurboTax. First I bought the deluxe version CD off Amazon for $29. After doing my taxes and ready to e-file they had me pay $39.99+tax to file state then right before I file federal it's charging me another $40 to file state and get my federal return. VISA BILLING FRAUD CASE COMING YOUR WAY TURBOTAX!

Original review: Feb. 23, 2019

It doesn't get you your money faster - in fact it's slower. The IRS releases the money - Santa Barbara Bank still holds it until they release it to you. Mailing it in you get it faster and free. TurboTax sucks even more each year. Don't waste your money.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2019

They force you to spend over eighty dollars to file both federal and state taxes. Don't use this service. Go to IRS website and use another free service. TurboTax is a scam. They make you think it's free then in order to continue sell you on paying 39 dollars for some phony deluxe package and then double the amount to file state return. Use company called FreeTaxUSA.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2019

I have been using TurboTax for a few years, I have taught a lot of people how to do their own taxes through TurboTax, these people are low income to the lower end of middle class, I am so angry with TurboTax and other tax software for taking advantage of these taxpayers. These people are barely getting by and are all receiving refund of all their taxes they paid, because they are low income, and for TurboTax to charge $39.00 is appalling!

I have one client that made 21,000.00 this year working with one child, a single mom, who had child care expenses and because she needed that one form, TurboTax is charging her 39.00. Another person who has 4 dependents put a bit away in a retirement fund, also getting the EIC and is on state help for his family, but because he needed this one form to get $80.00 back, TurboTax charged him $80.00, 40. for federal and 40. for state and to pay it with his refund it would be another 40.00. So obviously he paid it out of pocket and is now $80.00 less for food this week! And the form only allowed TurboTax to get money because it benefited him zero, TurboTax took all of it. Is someone going to do something about this? You don't even get forms in the mail anymore to do your taxes long hand if you wanted to. Wake up people, wake up government, you are pissing people off and someone needs to sue Turbo tax.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

TurboTax online does not work if you make estimated payments and need Form 2210. The online program does not work at all, and I believe the desktop version is not much better. You have to print out your returns and mail them in because of the errors. Save your time and money and use a different tax prep software that will permit you to efile with Form 2210.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

I have used Turbo Tax for years. Last year I had marketplace insurance. I had never used it before and didn't completely understand it. It turns out part of the year was private healthcare and part of the year was state Medicaid. IRS wants me to reconcile 1095A with Form 8962. Turns out they have done this for the last 3 years so this is not new to TurboTax according to IRS.

I have 20 days from 2/15/19 to reply and submit said paperwork. I turn to Turbo Tax to see if they have any answers as 8962 is quite complicated, esp. since I have depended on TurboTax to catch things. TurboTax says they can help me fill out the 8962 form. I follow instructions, oh no they can't because according to TurboTax the amendment form (which I have been instructed by the IRS to NOT do) isn't available at this time, 2/22/19 and will NOT be available until 3/7/19!!!! This is 2 DAYS after I have to have this paperwork submitted! I paid for TurboTax this year and it's become useless to me quickly. I will NEVER EVER recommend TurboTax to anyone ever again nor will I use it after this year. I trusted your help and it was a MISTAKE that may cost me a great deal!

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

Do not use this card to get your refund. Every time I have used it the money hits the card before you even get the card. I don't understand how they don't count Saturdays on their mailings for the the post runs on that days as well and it's not a business day. But I am Never using this card again. I will order a Netspend card a month before filing my taxes and have them put on there.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

In my 2017 taxes using Turbo Tax, the software calculated my taxes using both federal and AMT tax amounts (you are only supposed to pay the higher amount, not both). I ended up paying double the amount I owed and a fine. I also had to pay another tax company to find the mistake and file an amended return. Read the small print on their accuracy guarantee. You have to find their mistake within 60 days. You also can't call and talk to anyone.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

Someone hacked into my account and stole my information from my 2017 tax return. I never received an email stating that my account had been used. In addition, the person/people who filed in my name completed the tax return on 2/10, yet I received an email from TurboTax on 2/14 warning me to use the same account I used the previous year to file taxes. TurboTax does not seem to be worried about their consumer's personal information. I am disappointed that TurboTax emailed me four days after the fraudulent return had been accepted by the IRS. If I had received the email the day of, I could have stopped this in time.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

I am a first time user and imported my investment data from my provider. I was prepared to fill out Form 1116 to enter Foreign dividends and withholding taxes by country. I listed 4 countries, but the system entered a loop and would only allow 3. On Feb 20 I called the help line and posted my issue and received no response. Later I called the help line and waited 90 minutes for a tech person who tried to log onto my screen but failed. He was unable to help and "escalated" it. 20 minutes later the "escalated" responder was able to view my screen and tried to resolve the issue. After a long time and noting the loop we were in simply dropped my call without warning me. A recording at approximately 5:30pm informed me TurboTax would call back. By 10pm no call. This morning I saw a message that TurboTax had called at 10:49pm after I had gone to sleep and basically said to try again. This is not the TurboTax experience I had bargained for.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

While filing my federal and state income taxes this year, I kept looking out for the “pay with your federal return” option to not pay their hidden $30 fee. The option to pay now never appeared on any page, so I kept going to the next step waiting and looking for it. The submission then went through, so I tried to contact them. First it told me to enter my problem, then call and reference a code so the employee would have easy access to my information and issue. Of course, that just ended up being a time wasting, unhelpful automated message. I tried their website again and was eventually able to have someone call me. She was rude, unhelpful, unknowledgeable; and told me it’s too late, they have my money, and they would not do anything for me. She did not explain any of the reasons or policies why. When I asked why it was too late since I had just submitted and that I was specifically looking for that hidden fee on every page, she got attitude. I will never be using TurboTax again, they cheat you out of money and rub it in your face.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

I completed the tax return with relative ease and no problems until the end when I wanted to e-file which is supposed to be free for federal return. It asked me if I wanted to add Audit Defense for $44.99. I declined it. But then it gave me the option of deducting $44.99 from either my credit card or my refund. In other words, it was going to charge me even though I didn't click on anything that said I wanted it. I could find no way to opt out. The information in the "Help Center" didn't apply to my program. I could not find a phone # to call anyone. So I decided to mail the returns, but still, they should have fixed this error and not required me to purchase a $44.90 product I didn't need and didn't want, in order to get "free" e-filing. I purchased the online version program on the Turbotax website. Maybe the CD would not have had this problem. But too late now.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

My daughter filed her taxes with them and immediately got a "rejected" from the IRS. When logging back in expecting to be walked through it, they suggested she print and mail her returns after nothing on the website actually showed her how to fix it. The nerve of them trying to charge her $80 just to print the documents!!! NOTHING BUT A SCAM AND A FRAUD!!! I will be looking into this with legal help!

Intuit - TurboTax Company Information