Get matched with the best Tax Relief company for you!

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

Intuit - TurboTax
3.46/5
Based on 1,873 ratings submitted in the last year

Intuit - TurboTax

Intuit - TurboTax Reviews

Original review: March 24, 2018

I paid the $24.99 "Maryland State" fee to e-file, and then found out it is really an Intuit fee! What a rip-off! After I spent $89.99 for the software. I WILL NEVER BUY TURBOTAX AGAIN. Then both the federal and state returns came back "rejected." I have wasted so much time trying to correct the error (which is an IRS date of birth error) and no luck. Intuit won't even discuss refunding my e-file fee which was so misleading to begin with.

Original review: March 24, 2018

I have used Turbo Tax for the past 10+ years, but the Turbo Tax Premier 2017 has me questioning whether I will continue in the future. The "Search Engine" for help is virtually non-existent. It Searches and continues looping never coming up with the item I searched for. They might as well not have the Help option because you can get NO HELP!! And besides that, my 2015 FIT which I filed electronically was either hacked at the Turbotax site or the IRS site. I was a victim of identity theft and it stemmed from the electronic filing of my income tax return. Starting in 2016 it has been paper filing for me! I would advise others to do the same!

Original review: March 23, 2018

For the first time our daughter filed her taxes on her own with TurboTax, though her refund was only a mere 200.00. TurboTax, said federal and state were free, then at the end added a 59.00 charge for state, and then another 40.00 fee to process the payment out of her refund. Being as this is her first time she agreed to it... This is ridiculous!!! We have been using TurboTax since 2005 and to see they are scamming her out of 100.00 out of a 200.00 refund, we will NEVER use their services again!!! We spend a lot of money with our taxes having several businesses and our fees are usually around 100.00 which we expect, but not someone who made less than 2000.00 and no business, EZ filing.

We have decided to take our business to a local CPA after this, because I see now TurboTax has joined the ranks of money hungry companies, who have divided up their products and taken items off old ones to try and sell more. I tried calling and was on endless automated systems. So disappointed, this also disappointed our daughter who felt on her first try at taxes she failed to see, the scam, and HIDDEN FEES to get to her refund... sad.

Original review: March 22, 2018

I used Turbo Tax for a few years, was OK, but last year it became very bad, full of bugs. This year- even worse, impossible to use at all. Their support is useless. Don't waste your time and money! Awful!!!

Original review: March 22, 2018

I used TurboTax to file my 2017 return. This year they have done a poor job of ensuring the necessary forms are in place to complete healthcare info, especially for Obamacare users. Due to a lump sum SS disability I received which is non-taxable and does not affect my Obamacare subsidy their return indicated I owed all $8,200 back. Completely wrong - customer service and their CPA’s were useless. Used a better and cheaper online product and my Fed Tax was $8. Will never use them again. Be warned!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Intuit?

Original review: March 22, 2018

I was charged $29.99 for preparing and filing state taxes and the program wouldn't allow me to complete the process. They then wanted to charge me another $19.99 to complete the process. It was difficult getting through to speak with someone about the problem and when I did I was on the phone 25 minutes and put on hold three times only to be told they don't give refunds. I asked to speak with a supervisor and was told one would call me back within 24 hours and of course I never received a call back.

I was charged $29.99 for preparing and filing state taxes and the program wouldn't allow me to complete the process. They then wanted to charge me another $19.99 to complete the process. It was difficult getting through to speak with someone about the problem and when I did I was on the phone 25 minutes and put on hold three times only to be told they don't give refunds. I asked to speak with a supervisor and was told one would call be back within 24 hours and of course I never received a call back.

Original review: March 22, 2018

Can't neither see nor enter data directly into forms. Much of the data they want manually entered is only partially described. Always tons of bugs, but this year seems worse than ever. I'm thinking of buying one of the other competitor's packages and giving it a go. Could not possibly be worse than this year's TurboTax Premium.

Original review: March 21, 2018

I have used Turbotax for several years and have thought of it as a reliable service, this year however when I got to the end of my taxes there were hidden fees to the tune of $189.00. I filed in Feb and my taxes still continue to be processing, but this company who was supposedly taking their payment from my refund sent me a bill for their money. There is something that does not feel right about this and I will never do my taxes with this company again.

Original review: March 20, 2018

This is certainly not free and frankly it would have been easier to file taxes myself. I filed and they claimed the government rejected my return because they could not verify my identity. Ironically once I paid them $59.99 the issue with my identity disappeared. At that point I just wanted it to be over so I paid. I got my taxes prepared by a professional in person last year and that is what I am doing next year. They might claim they will take your fees from your return but do not believe it. After looking over reviews this is a common bait and switch tactic. Your return will get rejected until you pay. If I had known that from the start I might have just gone to a real professional and got my taxes prepared for less. TurboTax will get the job done but buyer beware: You will feel cheated by the time it is over.

Original review: March 20, 2018

I filed with TurboTax online for 2016. Went to file this year. Realized they deactivated my account. Stayed on the phone from 8 AM to 4 PM with customer support. No one could help me. Talk to four different people. They will not reactivate my account so I can get my information from 2016 and will not tell me why. All I know is I tried to stay very calm but they pissed me off. I do not recommend them. I do not want anything to do with them. They are the worst.

Original review: March 20, 2018

I was overcharged. I spent 30 minutes on the phone with them. They told me to call back in a few days. I filed in the meantime. Now I am told there is no one to help me until April 18th. Do not use them!

Original review: March 20, 2018

I am a long time user of TurboTax software (20 years). I was disappointed this year to have to file online, the software I usually purchase was not available. I prefer to keep my data private. Adding to further disappointment was that I couldn't import my past data into the online form, thus I had to enter routine data again. The worst part, however, was when I reached the end of the process, ready to file, I found out that I had to file my state tax form online for an extra fee or TurboTax would DELETE my state data! This is terrible not to alert me to the required payment upfront.

Original review: March 20, 2018

Like many others I had used this for several years but this year it's very difficult and they are creating more pricing levels to be sure to get more out of you. I'll be looking for new tax software... bye bye TurboTax.

Original review: March 19, 2018

My husband and I have used TurboTax since 1995 except 2 years and have had overall very Positive results. Bought TurboTax Deluxe March 2018/Amazon and noticed though I entered my W2 income correctly in Federal return (I retired late in 2017) and entered my husband (and my) retirement income properly, TurboTax transferred/added my husband's state retirement income to my W2 income.

This messed up our federal tax minimally, was able to efile and it was accepted. HOWEVER, what was transferred into our NYS tax form has my W2 income and my husband's retirement income as a grand total of W2 income which increased our income by that amount and we resultantly owe a lot. Worse yet, we can NOT edit the income and even leaving the wrongly transferred amounts disallows me to efile. NOT happy. Spent about six hours on it yesterday and six hours today back and forth on my desktop and laptop to edit and correct error. Turbo Tax WILL NOT ALLOW ME TO EDIT. HELP!!! I had printed state forms and may photocopy and use white out and correct, but will NOT be able to efile this way.

Original review: March 19, 2018

I have entered at length my taxes on TurboTax with multiple W-2s and a 1099 and got to the end it won’t let me remove the “free trial” of Quickbooks. They did this a couple of years ago to me and I didn't realize they could automatically charge my credit card. I even called for help from a TurboTax rep and was on the phone over an hour and she never could get it removed. It will be removed or I will not be using them anymore.

Original review: March 18, 2018

You know it's bad when someone makes an account JUST to complain about your company, Intuit. I'd been using TurboTax for years now, as they had always seemed to be easy to use and relatively cost efficient. Now? I am in the same state of bewilderment as the other customers that have recently left reviews: What happened to this company???

I suppose that I should be thanking my lucky stars that I was on unemployment benefits for most of 2017, because I was able to offset their ridiculous and MULTIPLE $35 costs with my Federal Tax Return. I am also glad I caught their insidious bait and switch $35 EXTRA charge for using your FTR to pay for their services. Absolutely unbelievable. It doesn't help that now, more than any other year, TurboTax seems adamant about shoving services and extra costs in your face every step of the way. I don't know what this company is thinking, but it has completely turned me off from ever using their services again. Great job, Intuit. Enjoy your extra hidden fee trickery; hope it was worth losing another customer.

Original review: March 17, 2018

I spent $29.95 to efile the State taxes. I had to print the Federal first. Fine. I did that and told it to wait on the state. It did BOTH on paper. I tried to go back into efile the state, but THERE IS NO OPTION to continue or efile. They took the $29.95 without actually efiling!!! I called their automated system. They want another $19.95 for me to talk to a human about it!!!

Original review: March 16, 2018

I filed my taxes on Jan 31st, 2018 and asked for my refund to be put on a NetSpend prepaid card through TurboTax. It came in the mail but was returned due to an error on USPS's part. I have since contacted the prepaid card customer service 5 times to have another card sent to me but still have not received it. They tell me every time that they have sent it via FedEx Expedited, which should only 3 business days, but after waiting 5 days for it, it never comes. They also tell me that they don't have access to any tracking info and don't know who would within their company. After the waiting period I call the customer service number and they repeat the process.

After 5 attempts and 5 failures, I contacted FedEx to see if they have any info regarding my name or address and they told me that the last time anything was shipped to my address was over 2 months ago which I received without any problems. So, I contacted the prepaid card customer service again and I get the same thing again, as I always do, where they instruct me to wait a few more days because their records show that it has been shipped. I am about to lose many things in my life because of their lack of interest in helping the consumer get their money. I keep getting lied to by everyone I speak with there including the "account supervisors" by telling me that "it's on its way" but it never shows up.

My recommendation is to never get your refund on the prepaid card. TurboTax won't even speak with me about this because I used the free version to file my taxes and I have to be a paying customer to use their services. Never, ever again will I use TurboTax to file my taxes as they truly don't care about the consumer and only care about making money. I have informed everyone I know, including the local media about the above issues and why they should never use this recommended agency.

Original review: March 16, 2018

Any military personnel stay away from these people. Rip off. I am retired military. They screwed up my taxes e-filing to IRS. I was on phone for 1 hour with IRS now. I have to refile by paper and TurboTax wants 78.89 for e-filing that they screwed up so I am asking all government and military personnel do not use them. Hit it where it hurts in their pockets.

Original review: March 15, 2018

I have used TurboTax for MANY years, and have never had a problem. This year, however, printing the returns was a nightmare. First I had to save it as a PDF, then I had to add my personal printer in order to print the returns I wanted to mail. I attempted to contact TurboTax to let them know about the printing, but the form allowed only about a hundred characters and then just stopped. So I shortened my complaints, and then found that the form (and complaints) would be going out to people who couldn't help. I'm frustrated. Next year I'm looking for another tax preparation product.

Original review: March 15, 2018

This year is the 8th year I have used TurboTax and by far the worst ever. First, you have no easy way to contact anyone. If you get lucky, they can only see system transmission. No one is capable or knowledge to resolve a solution to your issue. They are increasing their fees, without you knowing. Offer all these options that they will not support. When you are taking money from being and they need resourceful people, HIRE THEM. I do not need a person WFM reading a script to me with no solution for where my money is. DO BETTER AND FIND TRUE PROFESSIONALS WITH A VALID NUMBER TO CALL IN AND SPEAK WITH A LIVE BODY WITH EXPERIENCE.

Original review: March 15, 2018

The product seemed good in working through taxes. When it came time to e-file federal return, it was extremely difficult and needed a lot of troubleshooting to simply e-file. Did not want to e-file state as that was another $24.99. I have received five emails telling me I have a 3/15 deadline to file state taxes for free, but when I clicked on link there was no instruction how to do so. I replied to an email--received no response. After 5th email today I called their customer service. After 35 minutes on the phone, I was told that I do not have the capability to file for free since I used the CD download--not online. Terrible practice to send many emails for a service they will not provide. Will definitely not use this product again next year.

Original review: March 15, 2018

When I was filing with TurboTax for 2017 because I've always had a positive experience in the past. I was filing for free through USAA. TurboTax would not let me file without the "Premium" upgrade because I had to file for gains made from my investment last year (1099-B). Apparently, that would have kept me from fees for filing federal and state together, and they tried to fleece me on paying with my return--not only was I already paying 104 more dollars than I had been lead to believe, but they wanted a forty dollar fee for processing my fees! Outrageous! Thankfully I caught the extra fee and paid with my card.

Additionally, the website would not accept my address for billing, so I tried making my address billing friendly two more times. I checked my online banking statement after payment was successful, and even though they "couldn't process my card", the other three charges were listed on my statement. I will never use TurboTax again. I know I'm being petty at this point, but I was a little more than upset at the point that I read my order confirmation, and saw that I paid sales tax to file for my taxes....a tax that shouldn't have been there if I wasn't paying for anything as advertised.

Original review: March 15, 2018

Last year I used this service without any issues. However this year I found out that there were hidden fees. They ended up charging me to file state (which my emails clearly stated was free to file) as well as for services that I didn’t even want to use. In total they ripped me off for $200, and for that price I could've had it done professionally. Customer service was a joke. They weren't very helpful and at sometimes I felt like I knew more about my questions than they did. And I'm not the only one either. They overcharged my Mom this year too for services she didn't use! It’s madness. I'll definitely be using another service moving forward. It isn't worth having to pay for services I didn’t even want out of money I worked hard for so they can just rip me off at the first opportunity for a subpar service.

Original review: March 14, 2018

I love Mint, and after buying a house 8 years ago, TurboTax was a very helpful product. But my experience this year has left me angry enough to leave this review and likely searching for an alternative next year. My main complaint is that Intuit is not upfront about the fees. This year it cost me $164 to file my taxes, and I still have to mail my state tax filing myself. $45 dollars of that was a product called "Premium Services Benefits". It tacks on when you select pay out of my federal refund, although it won't quote a price for the service. Merely unchecking that option and paying with a credit card will not remove that add on. Intuit's knowledge base gives instructions on how to remove the add on from your order summary page. But you won't see this page if you hop back on the prompts to change to the credit card option.

Searching about this service, which I did so I can find out what I paid for and take advantage of what I've bought brings up only complaints about the service add-on. It indicates to me that the company isn't even acting in good faith to provide a viable product. It's about on the same level as that dealer clear coat spray for $1,000 that car salesmen kill to sell you. The point of using TurboTax is for the ease of use, accuracy, not having to deal with paper returns and rapid processing of refund if entitled. This kind of tack on just negates that and kills more time trying to figure out how to rectify the situation, hence why I will be looking somewhere else next year. In the end the value is just not there and it's pretty clear when the company resorts to these kinds of tactics to sell their product.

Original review: March 13, 2018

When we started to do our taxes in the "free" version, I logged in with my password, since we had used TurboTax last year. It imported a bunch of info from last year. Then I choose "free" and it deleted all of that information. So I entered all of that plus all of the income data and interest ( a couple of hours). It goes through a review and it comes to a window that says you have to use the long form 1040, for $49.99 but doesn't tell you why (had to Google search it). It turns out that I'm married and because we were going to file separately we needed another form. So we decided to go ahead and file jointly.

If I knew ahead of time I wouldn't have entered everything by hand or we would have just filed jointly to start with. So... we filled out all of the stuff for filing jointly (another couple of hours) and ran through the checks for Federal and State. Everything looks good, but suddenly we are being charged the $80+ and we are in the deluxe version, and we can't finish for free. We feel like they are holding our information hostage. There is no reason we should have to pay. But the only way out would be to start over and reenter all of the data. They should have a set of questions at the start to let you know if you need to do the long form, rather than at the end of hours of work. It is a bait and switch program. TurboTax never again.

Original review: March 11, 2018

My customer service experience this year is much worse from the good service I received in past years. I paid more this year for the application that provides the most online help, because I have a slightly more complicated tax return. The 1st page (Income) of my online tax return has 3 obvious problems. There are 2 columns of data, last year 2016 and this year 2017. (1) My capital loss carryover shows the same exact amount for 2016 (history) as for 2017. This is obviously wrong. (2) My Social Security income for 2016 is blank. Obviously wrong. (3) My rental Income for 2016 is blank. Obviously wrong.

My Turbotax telephone help was worthless. I was told she didn't know why the numbers weren't right, but I shouldn't worry about those issues. I was shocked by this response and asked that she follow up to get this problem fixed. I was told that I should talk to another department - they'd probably be more responsive to me. Then I asked to talk to her supervisor. She said she couldn't do that and said goodbye. I received no email summary of our talk.

On a different issue, I previous did get an email summary. I searched for a way to email TurboTax with my complaint. Apparently TurboTax has discontinued email communications with customers - to protect themselves? No way to escalate problems now. No documented trail of customer communication. In a previous year I paid extra only when I needed extra help. That worked well. One time a TurboTax customer support person made a mistake when answering my question. My email summary from TurboTax helped me get this resolved through escalation. Not only did I get an email of confirming the error, I got the right answer for free. TurboTax customer service has really deteriorated.

Original review: March 11, 2018

I completed my tax return this morning, thinking that I would take advantage of the TurboTax® Absolute Zero® offer. According to the company "over 60 million Americans have the ability to file their federal 1040A or 1040EZ returns, as well as their state tax returns, for absolutely $0" until March 15. I have a simple return that took me no more than 30 minutes to complete.

By time I was done, I had incurred a cost of almost $100. In addition to having to bump up to TurboTax Deluxe ($54.99), I was charged a $39.99 fee for choosing to pay the TurboTax fee with my refund. (Read the fine print closely, especially after you read all their hype about simplifying the process by choosing this route.) I am extremely disappointed that Intuit made it so difficult to understand the fee before I submitted my return. I could easily have covered the fee with my debit card. In any case, I will not be using TurboTax in the future. Seems like a lot of "bait and switch" tactics are in place.

Original review: March 11, 2018

My son lives with me, but his mom pays for his Obamacare because she has Obamacare and it is only about $20 more per month vs $160 per month if I add him to my work insurance. BUT, TurboTax Premiere doesn't have a form to distinguish the fact that I pay 100% of his care and claim him except for the $20 per month she pays for his Obamacare. Now, my refund is hung up at the IRS and I have to call them to discuss the issue and fill out a form before I get my refund in approximately 6 to 8 weeks instead of this week like I should have. TurboTax failed me BIG TIME. NEVER AGAIN TurboTax!

Original review: March 11, 2018

I purchased TurboTax Deluxe in February 2018 to do our tax returns. There is a glitch with this program in that it continually wanted employer information but my husband and I are retired as of 5 and 6 years ago, so couldn't provide that. Unable to efile after filling in all the information due to this "employer" issue that could not be fixed. So ended up printing my returns (Fed & State) and then mailing them in but was charged $24.99 apparently just for the program to figure the state return. Already paid plenty for the Deluxe program that I purchased and resent having to pay the additional $24.99 for basically nothing. Used TurboTax years ago for many years until the last five years when had a CPA do our taxes. Decided this year I could use TurboTax again but am extremely disappointed in TurboTax and would never recommend it. WILL NOT EVER USE TURBOTAX PROGRAMS AGAIN AND WOULD SUGGEST YOU PURCHASE SOMETHING ELSE.

Intuit - TurboTax Company Information