1.86/5
Based on 14 reviews that contain star ratings
Show rating distribution

iBUYPOWER

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 5, 2017

14 iBUYPOWER Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

We bought a laptop from them and it came to us broken. We returned it to them and they blamed US for the damage and refused to give us a refund. When we spoke to customer service, the guy said he was the only one to speak to, that he didn't have a supervisor, that he couldn't give us the name of their legal team, and that there was nothing they would do. The guy was sarcastic and passive-aggressive. Needless to say, we will NEVER buy from this company again! $1100 down the drain. I'd give them a zero if I could. DON'T DO IT!

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

I was very excited to build a computer using this company as I had heard great things. Placing my order online went smooth, but it quickly turned bad after that. I started getting notifications that I would be receiving my order in pieces spread out over 4 days. I called to see what was going on, and was informed at this point that the chair I ordered was on backorder and they were not sure when it would be back in stock. Over the three week assembly and shipping process they never attempted to contact me to inform me of the item on backorder. Once everything did arrive and I was able to use my new amazing system I was happy for a little less than 30 days. It was then that my amazing custom built super powered gaming system was unable to run the most basic game without drastic lag. I figured this had to be a software or driver issue since the computer was literally brand new.

After spending a few months of my free time troubleshooting with no results, I woke up one morning to the smell of an electrical burn. My video card smoked. To their credit, iBUYPOWER immediately generated a shipping label for me to send the system in for service. This is where the real fun begins. I contact them to verify receipt and explain the situation to the tech. After about a week of nothing, I contact them again to have a "customer care" person tell me he could not help me without my RMA number and hung up on me.

I immediately called back and the next person was magically able to find my account with my name. He transferred me to a tech where I was once again told that my video card was not in stock and they had no idea when it would be in stock. He also went on to explain that they were replacing my power supply, and it was also not in stock. Oh, and apparently the liquid cooling system I ordered had a tendency to leak and they would be replacing it as well. At least this item was in stock.

At this point I requested to speak to a supervisor. This was a mistake. This guy has no business speaking to customers ever. I'm told that they are unwilling to upgrade the video card in order to expedite the process. I am now emailing anyone in the company that I can find information on. Darren Su, a cofounder, clearly does not care about the success of his company as he refuses to interact with a customer. Although I am assuming he got involved after receiving my first email because our super helpful supervisor that I spoke of earlier was suddenly willing to upgrade my video card to one that was in stock. His demeanor over the phone had also completely changed.

So once again I am excited that my computer is finally back in my possession. One more time my excitement was met with disappointment. The box they used to ship my computer in was oversized and the packing inside was lacking. I'm sure you can guess that this led to physical damage to the computer housing. The pins used to secure the top plate to the box frame were all completely shorn off. The front plate was disengaged as well with one of its pins also broken. The custom wiring I paid extra for was done so poorly that the metal plate cover cannot be placed on the box without it visibly bowing. This is if you can even get it back on at all. Guess who I have the pleasure of speaking with again? Surprise surprise they want me to send it back to them again so they can fix the damage that they caused. Save yourself the headache and buy your computer somewhere else.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

This is the third computer I have bought from IBP over the years. Each about 4 years apart or so. The first 2 purchases went fine. Simple, I picked what I wanted from their options, paid a nice sales price, and had it eventually shipped to me, and it arrived good-to-go. These days however? Absolute freakin NIGHTMARE. This has been the single worst purchasing experience of my life.

It all started back in early June (I just got the computer and it is now September). I was getting married soon, and my now wife was preparing to go back to school for another degree. We decided it would be fun to get her a new computer, for those nights where we would have no social life with work and school, and she could just play with me. I spoke both online, and over the phone with different members of their teams, brainstorming what I wanted to do with this computer. I was told by multiple people that all my requests were acceptable, and even had a guy clear it with his supervisor. So I went ahead and ordered the PC.

Weeks later I was told they were refusing to do anything I had asked, even down to the simplest detail. Even on things every person I spoke with said I could have modified, without fail. Initially I balked, I was paying 1700$, surely I could get some better treatment than this, right? Wrong. The technician working on my computer threatened to cancel my order. His supervisor threatened to cancel my order. I was being strong-armed into just accepting whatever they would give me. In the end, I gave up, I just wanted the PC finished and the calls and emails with horrible employees to end.

Weeks more go by, and me and my wife got to go on a honeymoon. We aren't well-to-do, this PC was a big deal on our accounts, as was getting married this year. We had never been out of the country before, and were having a blast. Then they cancelled my order. No call. No Email. No nothing. Weeks of working on it, after I told them specifically in an email responding to one of their threats, "I'm not authorizing anyone to cancel anything. Just finish the build however you have to, do it your way. ", they simply cancelled my entire order out of the blue. It took days of calling/emailing/ and arguing for them to resuscitate my order. No one could tell me why it happened, all they would tell me is that it was in fact the supervisor who had been threatening to cancel my order that did so.

At this point they had to start from scratch again. I had come after them within an hour of the cancellation email, but they had still scrapped everything apparently (If the trash service is any indication - they probably never even started!!!). Weeks more go by when I get an email saying it will arrive on Thursday at some random time - despite paying like an extra 100$ for appointment delivery. I then take a day off work to make sure 1700$ isn't sitting on my apartment's front porch in a city of over 600,000 people. While waiting I receive a phone call where I'm told that I will have to drive a half an hour out of the way to get my order from the FedEx shipping facility. Neither FedEx nor IBP were interested in reimbursing me for the shipping fee I paid for when I didn't get the service I paid for.

Then I finally get it home, unbox it, and assemble it, happy to think the nightmare is almost over at this point. Wrong AGAIN. The device refused to boot. Confused I call their tech support, wondering if the drives were bogus on arrival? Their first question, "Did you buy it without an operating system?" WHY THE HELL would I do that? I literally bought this from their FRONT PAGE, as a special flash sale event the week or so before the 4th of July. Wanna know why it was such a good deal? Because it didn't come with a ** OPERATING SYSTEM!!! NOWHERE DID IT DETAIL THIS EITHER!!!

So here I am, about drive across town to spend another 100+$ to get a copy of Windows 10, so that maybe this nightmare can have a happy ending before the holiday weekend begins. I will never buy from iBUYPOWER ever again. No one I know will either if I have any say in it. AVOID AT ALL COSTS. RUDE, SCAMMING, INCOMPETENT, BUNGLING MORONS WORK THERE.

Original review: July 3, 2017

Laptop purchased through IBuypower is defective. Having to send back in for the 3rd time to have this device repaired. Technical support has said it's been "repaired" it twice. One wonders why a 3rd time to repair the computer is necessary. Customer service only offers to have item sent in for review and then to manufacturer. As a consumer, I've lost countless hours on the phone and over email addressing concerns.

Original review: June 27, 2017

I recently made a purchase from iBUYPOWER direct for 10 high end gaming cpu's for my small business. The initial order went through without issue but I was later contacted stating that $10k+ orders require a wire transfer. I explained that my liquid capital was earmarked for other areas and the sales rep and I agree to split the order. Days went by and I finally received notification that a credit charge authorization letter was needed. Without delay I submitted the required paperwork.

Further time went by without hearing a word. Finally I reached a gentlemen in customer service who helped. Evidently, managers had decided to sit on my order without approving, demanding I pay in cash. As many smack business owners will tell you, initial startups are done mostly on credit. My modest liquid capital is reserved to ensure my employees receive paychecks during the first couple of difficult months before business takes off. Business owners beware, this company cannot support large orders. They lost over $20k on this deal alone. I hope they change their model or it may not last.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about iBUYPOWER?

Original review: June 16, 2017

Three years ago I paid two thousand for a PC from iBUYPOWER. 13 months later the water cooler exploded. It killed my entire computer. Of course the warranty had expired. It had taken me two years to save for that computer (Being handicap my funds are limited). When I contacted them they were extremely rude. Three months of phone conversations did nothing. I walked away fuming. Now you would think I would never buy from them again. Well I did recently. My thoughts: Their PC's are horrible... lets try a laptop. I received the laptop today to find it doesn't come with a CD-ROM Drive. Really... I just gave you 1600 dollars. Doesn't that warrant a CD ROM Drive? Apparently not! Bottomline, RUN. It's not worth the sick and twisted games they like to play. It's not worth the anxiety they cause. This company's name is right on the mark. iBUYPOWER by stealing from my customers.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2017

So 2 years ago I decided it was time for me to buy myself a gaming PC because my old PC couldn't handle the newer games. One transaction later and boom $3000 spent on a Gamer Paladin and a "good" monitor. I was ecstatic at the time but over the 2 years since I've had it it has caused me nothing but agony. For a year and a half I had to deal with the problem of my PC shutting down as soon as I started up a game. We fixed that by manually using MSI Afterburner to control my graphics cards fan so that it wouldn't overheat. And now for the last half of the 2 years I've had to deal with it just randomly crashing. And I will never send it back due to the fact that my friend sent his back and they told him it would be a two week wait turns out he had to wait 2 months. Absolutely awful.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2017

Purchase a computer from ibuypower and they didn't even have the parts in stock. I had to wait 2 months in order to have my computer ship to me. The product was damage on the exterior and they expected me to gave them a 5 out 5 review. If I can give them a 0 out of 5 I would, ibuypower is greedy and they have no pride in their works and poor customer services.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2016

Hopefully by posting this review I help someone else. I purchased a gaming computer in May of 2016 for $800. By late August 2016 the video card was malfunctioning. I emailed the company about the defective card and they sent me an email on how to uninstall, then reinstall the video card. They neglected to tell me to save my pictures to another device and I lost them all! After emailing them back that nothing had changed except for the loss of my files, they asked me to call them with my credit card number. I emailed them back that I work for a hospital, and was not available to call them during their business hours, also that I had no intention of paying for shipping back the defective product they sold me.

When I asked that the customer service representatives superior respond to my emails, I was told to call during business hours. After three weeks of correspondence I finally received a USED video card. They had promised me a new and upgraded one. Big surprise... This one is causing crashes AND pixelated videos. PLEASE... SAVE YOURSELF MONEY, HEADACHES, AND FROM A BAD PURCHASE AND BUY ELSEWHERE!!!

Original review: Sept. 28, 2016

It worked like a charm. I like it very much. I would definitely recommend it to all my friends. I did not think it would be all that great but it was worth getting it. It has great graphics, fast response, great download capability. I not real good with computer but it was very easy to use. This one has been fun to use and a great experience for me. It has helped me learn a lot of things I could not do before I got it. They are really great with helping you to understand how to do things with your computer, all how to set it up and help you get it running.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2016

Computer handled my basic needs. Any heavy computer work I would have to use a different computer. Would not recommend for heavy computer use. Product was very durable. I used it and abused it for many years. The computer held up to many years of use and abuse and still kept on ticking. The unit brought great value into my life at the time I was using it. It accomplished most of the tasks that were needed. I would recommend the unit to others.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2016

Good quality and very easy to understand. Navigating is simply on the computer. I would recommend this to any computer beginner or novice. Good price as well as good customer service if needed. Computer does what it is needed to do with a good speed. The computer is made of good material as is most computers. Havent had any issues with durability but who really bangs their computer around. Easy to wipe clean if dusty and eye pleasing as well. Great price for what you are getting technology wise. All the programs you need are on it and its speed is great. Looks good and is durable. This would be a great addition to the household. If you have any issues the customer support is friendly and well equipped to solve your problems. If you need to you can call them and they will find the issue in a timely manner and get you back on your way.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2016

Unit is quiet and runs smoothly. Provides effective heat management. Unit was very easy to set up. The gaming potential is very powerful. The unit's durability and performance is sufficient for gaming. The unit has a very fast boot time. It will provide many hours of gaming pleasure. Very good value for the money spent, far better than buying a mass manufactured unit elsewhere. It operates very effectively to its tasks needed. I had not had any customer support issues to date with this unit.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2016

I love iBUYPOWER. They provide quality computers at affordable prices. I recently purchased a gaming laptop for my husband and he LOVES it. I recently bought an iBUYPOWER computer from Best Buy. I used to have a CyberPower one but that one always broke down on me. I've had the iBUYPOWER computer for months now and everything works great!! I love it. iBUYPOWER is the crips. I like the Merch they put out. People are nice and helpful. Been to the iBUYPOWER tournament twice now and it's been an amazing experience playing with the pcs. They have such a great experience. Love it and the company. I went on Saturday with some of my friends and I was pretty impressed by all the systems they had set up. Watched people play and played some games myself. Considering on purchasing from them for my next pc. I also wound up getting some free swag like an iBUYPOWER shirt. Thanks guys! Very good service.

iBUYPOWER expert review by ConsumerAffairs

iBUYPOWER was founded in 1999 to offer custom PCs that are focused on power and cutting edge technology to keep up with the demands of the growing gaming market. Located in City of Industry, Calif., iBuyPower is now one of the leading manufacturers and retailers of gaming PCs for consumers in the United States.

• Easy Builder: iBUYPOWER's Easy Builder walks consumers through the steps of finding the right computer rig for their gaming needs. Based on consumers’ gaming habits, iBuyPower makes suggestions for the right system.
    • Custom liquid cooling: Gaming PCs require a lot of power, and without proper cooling and ventilation systems, they can overheat quickly. iBUYPOWER’s liquid cooling systems can keep a custom PC running at peak performance.
    • Refurbished: iBUYPOWER offers a selection of refurbished computer systems at discount prices. Each system is guaranteed and comes with a 14-day return policy along with a 90-day warranty for laptops and a six-month warranty for desktops.
    • Weekly specials: iBUYPOWER holds weekly rotating sales on desktop PCs, laptops and other computer equipment and hardware. Products are subject to availability.
    • Laptop lines: In addition to its line of Battalion gaming laptops, iBuyPower sells ASUS and MSI gaming laptops. Screen sizes range from 14-18.4 inches.
    • Best for: iBUYPOWER is best for high-level performance enthusiasts and consumers who want a powerful gaming PC.
    Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs