1.85/5
Based on 41 reviews that contain star ratings

41 iBUYPOWER Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

I spent a lot of money on this pc. I like the pc a lot. Very quiet but and is fast. I called them because my mic was not working. The guy on the phone was rude and acted like he did not wanna help. So I have spent hours trying to get it to work properly. Long story short I'll never buy from them again. These people don't care about the customer. I'm probably going to take it back. Keep in mind the store I bought 3000.00 when I was there. I got treat like that as far as this whole experience has been a nightmare.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

Needed a new high end computer for work, was recommended to iBUYPOWER to customize a machine. Built up what I needed, added the 3 day rush and 1 day shipping as I needed the machine quickly. Was reassured by phone support multiple times that "No problem. Everything’s in order. We’ll have it out ASAP." On day 4 of no update I contact them, “sorry sir the power supply you wanted is out, we were waiting for it to come in.” I went ahead and bought the next one up and was assured that with this upgrade they’d have it out the next day.

Next day comes and goes no update, again I call, “sorry sir we see you upgraded the power supply but that one is out of stock too.” Frustrated beyond belief. They find one that has multiple in stock, he assures me he is putting a rush “note” on it, and that “it’s no problem. It’ll ship the following day. You can call and confirm it made it on the truck tomorrow.” So I do just that, I call the following day to get the same exact runaround I’ve been getting every step of the way. If at any moment they attempted to be honest with me It would of been one thing but the constant deceit and runaround every step of the process. So finally I again asked for a supervisor, explained the situation and asked for a solution, between his attitude and disingenuous responses I canceled my +$4k order. These people just don’t care, I wish I had read their reviews beforehand.

Get expert buying tips about Computer Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 17, 2018

So I build my pc and placed my order on 5/16/2018. Then problems started. I wanted it shipped to my sister's address because I work odd hours and often out of town. So when I typed in shipping and billing addresses something went wrong and even though it was displayed properly on my end they said the billing address did not match my credit card's address so after 20 minutes on the phone we got that all fixed. On the 5/23/2018 they finally finished gathering parts for my pc. But then it was not till I called them 5/31/2018 that they actually got around to assembling it! The next day it shipped out! Yes finally! Wait. It's going to my billing address. _-_ Another call. They decide to inform me that for out of country shipments (Canada) they can only ship to billing address. Still don't know why.

So finally it come in on the 15th! I open it up, take out the foam thing and realize the usb expansion card they velcroed in has been bouncing around the case this whole time... so I fix that. I look at the fans and the bottom fans are supposed to have a screen cover but there is 2 spots one cover... Yesterday I went to use my Bluetooth on the Bluetooth/WiFi card. Guess what? The computer doesn't recognize the Bluetooth part. After installing the drivers etc I call them and they just tell me to install the drivers. O.O

So now I made my own screen and I'm using a 10 dollar Bluetooth usb key I got off Amazon. I re-glued the Velcro and redid some wiring so the wires are not pushing the usb card. Oh and when I saw the bill I was surprised 'cause when I see $2370 I don't expect to see a bill for 3129$ CAD and yes I realize the $ is on the opposite side of the amount but a USD would have been reaaall nice. Sorry for the rantyness but it was just a whole month of bad experience.

Original review: July 8, 2018

I received my new system on June 26, 2018. The order process was simple enough and it seemed I was getting a good deal. Once the payment process had taken place, it took about two days for the picking and assembly process to take place. It then sat waiting to be shipped for five days. I received it 3 days later than quoted. That was just the start of my troubles. Once I had it out of the box, I took off the side panels to inspect it. I noticed right away that the case fans weren't arranged according to my request. As I began to re-arrange them I noticed that the case fans had only two screws a piece. The pusher fan for the radiator only had three screws. Apparently someone was feeling lazy that day.

Once I had looked everything over and had the fans where I wanted them I got the system hooked up. I powered it on and the monitor couldn't see it as a source. I powered down, checked connections and tried again. This time I got a message saying to power down the system and attach the PCIe power cable to the graphics card. I checked the connection to the GPU and found that one of the connectors (the card needs two cables) had a small gap between it and the card. It would not properly seat. After detaching the cable I noticed that one of the pins on the card was bent down. The corresponding receptacle was mangled. Rather than making sure it seated properly, or stopping to wonder why it went on so hard, whoever had connected the cable had forced it on, which in turn forced the pin under the receptacle. That's very sloppy work. It also wasn't the problem.

Apparently I overestimated these people, because I hadn't recognized stupid when it was right in front of me. I removed the side panel again in order to replace the power cable to at least get the system working. They had attached the regular power cables to the PSU and used braided cable extensions, which I paid extra for, to complete the run out to the GPU. The extension with the bad connector was attached to nothing. They didn't just forget to plug it in, there was only one PCIe cable attached to the PSU. That's beyond sloppy. Just to make matters worse, one of the cables pulled free of the intact connector when I removed it from the card. Understand the implications of what I'm saying. It's impossible for this machine to have been put through quality control. It's also impossible for burn-in to have taken place. That's not merely a mistake, that's fraud.

I would hope that I could return the system to have the problems fixed at their expense, though I wouldn't count on that, but the way they do things it would be a month before I got it back. I'd return it outright, but there's no way they would waive the restocking fee and I'm not about to pay them for their mistakes. This is the Wal-Mart of custom gaming computer sites. Good selection, good prices and absolutely nothing else. They do shoddy work, there's no quality control and customer service is incompetent. I managed to fix the problems, but I can assemble a system on my own. If you can't, buy elsewhere. If you want a system you can use without worry out of the box, buy elsewhere. If you might need help with setup or getting started, buy elsewhere. The time and frustration you save yourself will be worth far more than saving a few dollars.

After finally getting it running, I settled into performing the many tasks that need to be completed to get the system running smoothly. I quickly remembered that there was one other action that needed to be taken. I got up, took the front panel off of the case, doused the iBUYPOWER logo plate with rubbing alcohol, and tore it off. Now it's good to go.

Original review: July 6, 2018

This being my third new iBuyPower system over ~10 years I expected the same great experience as the previous two times, and am disappointed enough to have to write a negative review. Ordered system on 5/26, received on 6/13, package and system looked good, inside looked good (nothing obviously disconnected). Installed software for my daughter as it's her first new PC (previously got my hand-me-downs) as a gift for great school performance. Worked fine until late June, then started randomly shutting down, sometimes successfully rebooting, doing more frequently as time went on, finally not staying on for more than a few minutes at a time. Checked Event logs and found common error for power supply.

Called IBP yesterday at first opportunity (their hours are M-F during workday Pacific) for Tech Support, expecting remote access and diagnostics to confirm problem, something my own company in Sales and Marketing does. Told no such software or capability for IBP. Told could be power supply or mobo, no way to tell, have to try replacing one at a time until find problem. Told could ship same PS if I paid for it, to be refunded upon return of defective part, or they'd e-mail me RMA label, I could find box and packing material and ship PS to them, and upon receipt they'd ship replacement I can install.

Went with option B as not letting them cost me any more money, and although called with a couple hours to go in their business day, still haven't gotten e-mailed RMA label. Also told not enough complaints about this power supply to warrant a different manufacture or model, despite my expressing concern problem could reoccur if defective batch, in my experience a common issue from component manufacturers.

Meanwhile have to set daughter up on my PC, excluding my use, as she's off on summer vacation in a 90's degree heatwave and trying to utilize a Fortnite BattlePass that expires if not completed in time. All this within 30 days of receipt of new system, so giving serious consideration to returning entire system for refund and buying elsewhere for this and fairly frequent future systems. Unless wowed by Customer Service moving forward will likely be my last IBP system anyway. Don't have time or patience to pay thousands of $ to troubleshoot and rebuild defective product.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about iBUYPOWER?

Original review: June 23, 2018

I bought an ASUS laptop. It was OK at first then the keyboard started to act up. I called the 800 number no answer for 3 days trying off and on. Finally got a ** on the phone whose job it was to piss off the customer. Mission accomplished. He gave a website to go to and sign up for service. I did all he said and now 4 months later NO RESPONSE. I WILL NEVER BUY FROM THIS RIP OFF AGAIN. This company need to be sued.

Original review: June 21, 2018

I purchased a computer from them that after 4 months, it started to act up and would give my daughter a blue screen. It then wouldn't let us sign back on. I took it to a local computer repair place that had to reload Windows 10 onto it and they also told me that the stick of RAM was bad as well as two of the cores in the processor. This cost me about $150 to find this out. But since it was under warranty I contacted iBUYPOWER about the problem, and the guy was very short with me and talked down to me. He asked if I was in front of the computer, I told him I wasn't due to me being at work but that I had all of the information like the serial number and what the repair place said was wrong with it. But he told me he couldn't help me if I did not have the computer in front of me and told me to call back tomorrow.

I called back the next day and this time I dealt with a young lady, who apparently didn't care if I was in front of the computer or not, but she told me that I had to register the problem online. She gave me a special code to register with and then they would email me an "RA" number. She told me my two options were that I had to pay to ship it back to them in California (As they have no authorized repair locations) or I could have the parts shipped to me, but I would have to purchase them and just get refunded once I sent the defective parts back. But since I don't have several hundred dollars laying around to purchase the parts my only option was to ship it back to them. I did the online register thing like she talked about and then waited for the email with the "RA" number.

After a week and no email, I placed call number 3 to them, and this time asked to speak to a supervisor. Once this guy gets on the phone I explain the situation to him and he states that he sees my "RA" number but couldn't tell me why I never received an email with it. He gave this to me over the phone and then I proceeded to the shipping store with the computer. It cost me about $170 to have it packed and shipped to iBUYPOWER. On Monday I received an automated email from iBUYPOWER stating that they received my computer and that it will take about five days for the repair.

Then the next day I receive another email from iBUYPOWER stating that my computer suffered some damage during shipment, along with a couple photos of a cracked case, and stated that they were suspending any repairs to my computer until I file a claim with my carrier, and that such claims could take up to four weeks. This is absolutely poor service in my opinion. After that I was completely done with any future dealings with this company. Since I had purchased this through Amazon, I contacted them and told them about the poor customer service I was receiving from iBUYPOWER, and they were not very pleased that they were treating their customers that way.

I was instructed to contact iBUYPOWER and have them send the computer back to me as is and that they were going to issue me a full refund on the computer. So be warned if you choose to purchase a computer from iBUYPOWER, don't expect the greatest of customer service when you have an issue. This company needs to learn that customer service is what gets them return business, and word of mouth and social media today, bad customer service can have an impact on their business. I for one, will never purchase another computer from them again.

Original review: June 17, 2018

This computer is alright for playing games, but you are forced to have Windows 10 which is awful, changing the desktop is difficult, finding picture albums is difficult, making a search for something is impossible, instead of finding for example, "favorite songs", it goes online to websites instead of something you already have on your PC.

Original review: June 16, 2018

Called for support because system was in a boot loop. The laptop does not have an optical drive but they gave me a Windows install disc. I digress. Tech support answers, says, "How can I help you." I explain the issue and they disconnected the call. All I wanted was a solution to turning the disc into a form I could use and info on how to install Optane drivers. Do not get a computer here or pay extra for support help. Also there is no quality control check. Out of the box and there were issues. (Pictures are of the first day turning it on.)

Original review: June 8, 2018

I recently bought a pc from iBUYPOWER and on the box it says 16 gigs of ram. When I got it home and after having loaded my software onto it, I noticed that is only had 8 gig. I have tried contact support after work but they are gone for the day and I have tried at 8:15 am before work to contact them and they are not in. This is very annoying as I cannot contact them between 9 to 5 due to work, which I suspect is when they might actually be in.

Original review: June 3, 2018

Both companies provide a fine device. I like the iBUYPOWER because I can select what I want in my system rather than getting a box set. There are times when a box set is above average but it is best to build what you want rather than what they sell. My Dell Laptop was a box set but had the right equipment for my needs.

Original review: May 29, 2018

I ordered this brand new $2300 GE73 Raider two weeks ago, got it a week ago, and it crashed within a week. It froze when playing a video game (of which it can play, this is a top-of-the-line laptop) and after a shutdown it was inoperable. I called MSI for technical support and they did all they could, nothing worked, and said I need to contact iBUYPOWER and ask for a fix or a refund. I contacted them and was told by the first customer service rep that there's nothing he can do to help me. He was short and doubting when talking to me, and said that if it comes damaged the cost is on me (even though I said I was sending it back in the original packaging and I have a warranty, the laptop is 6 days old). So I asked to speak to a supervisor and he patched me through.

This supervisor told me yes I can get a refund as long as I send back everything that came with the laptop as well, and that it's allowed within 30 days. He sends me a FedEx label in the email and I am to put that on the box to send back. At FedEx, they tell me the package may not be insured and that they don't know. I called back iBUYPOWER and their customer service rep kept speaking in circles, not saying "yes" or "no" but speaking in a way without giving me a definite answer. I asked again to clarify further and he finally told me that "yes, the package is insured" in those exact words. I asked one more time ad nauseam and he said "yes, it is insured". So, I told FedEx "okay, ship it out". The service rep was still on the phone with me and said "don't just throw the parts in the box okay?". "Make sure you don't just throw it in a box". This comment was unsolicited, and demeaning, so I asked to speak to his supervisor.

At this point the package is at FedEx and I am on a 10 minute hold to speak to the supervisor. Once on the phone, I find out that the label does NOT insure the package and I was lied to. I just made FedEx shipping times, so my package has already shipped. The supervisor goes on to say that I have to pay $69.99 for shipping, when earlier I was told it was covered. He said this is in the policy; however, when another supervisor tells me it will be covered I was under the impression that he was working with me because of a bad computer after only having it for 6 days.

This first supervisor told me on the phone, with his voice, that shipping is covered for me in this case. Now, this other supervisor is telling me I have to pay them $70 to get my refund (minus the 70$). Now, I have to pay a $69.99 charge on a $2300 gaming laptop that is broken and that I am getting a refund for. To ship it myself, AND INSURE IT, would have cost less than $50.

Don't buy from this company. They do not value their customers. I was treated rudely and coldly on the phone by up to four different customer service representatives, two of which were "customer service supervisors". They did not help me, they hindered the process with incomplete information when handling at FedEx, and they showed no remorse. The company told me at the end of the last call that there is no "higher up" I can go and that it is what it is. I can't wait for my refund so I can spend that money on a good computer company that cares about their customers. $2300 is a huge purchase, especially for a laptop, and it is a shame to be treated so poorly when choosing to hand a company that much of your money. I am really disappointed.

Original review: May 19, 2018

I have purchased 3 computers from iBuyPower and my experience has been the same each time. You start with a computer that is "close" to the perfect rig you want and then you customize it to make something more akin to what you actually want. Their helpful tips make sure you don't make mistakes but if you're moderately savvy you can navigate this just fine. If you are a complete novice to building a gaming PC you may wish to go elsewhere where you can get more one on one help. For me, I'm savvy enough to understand what I'm reading but not so much that I want to build it myself or take risks on individual parts. I want a computer to come whole not piecemeal through the mail. iBuyPower is perfect for someone like me.

After making my selections and purchasing the product the waiting game begins. Unlike the first computer I bought from them where updates were rare, if ever unless you called in they now have an automated update service that sends me an email through each step in the process. It takes at LEAST a month for me to receive my final product which unlike Dell who churns out hundreds of cookie cutter basic computers rapidly this does seem like a long time but what I get in the end result has usually been worth it. My 2nd computer from them I received and it died within 2 weeks and I had to send it back. A time consuming process that took another 2 months. At the time this was very frustrating but that computer has stood the test of time.

5 years later my 2nd computer is still in operation though along the way I've upgraded individual pieces (such as the graphics card, RAM, power supply, a fan that died). The case is well built and very easy to get into to upgrade. In conclusion if you want a "custom built" gaming rig that offers power, scalability without the hassle of doing it yourself it's a great company but they are exceptionally slow. Their prices are cheaper than many other sources but a little patience can save you money.

Original review: May 17, 2018

I bought a PC from them in March 2018. The power supply died in less than 2 weeks. Called the technician and he asked me to check the power supply. Tried to trick me into voiding my 3 year warranty. I said I couldn't do it so he got really impatient with me and was rude. I sent the PC to them completely clean and the box was clean. They receive it and somehow it has 2 roaches inside it. So they blame me for it and refuse to fix it. Obviously not a good company to blame me for something that was not there when I shipped it.

Updated on 05/24/2018: So they sent the PC back to me IN PIECES. One of the bottom corners is broken off. This is really bad. I'm having to hold the broken corner up with a package. Front completely off and exposed.

Original review: April 20, 2018

Ordered in February (warranty/return policy is effective at time of purchase!). Received a computer that randomly locks up and needs restarted multiple times a day. Returned the computer, they "fixed" it by "swapping the processor." Got it back 3 weeks after it was sent back, still does the same thing. Was told they would not authorize a refund because it has been past the 30 day period. I have had physical possession of this paperweight for a total of 23 days, none of which it worked properly. My bank took care of me and issued me a refund and went after them so I didn't have to. I sent the computer to the bank's dispute company. NEVER ORDER FROM THESE PEOPLE!

Original review: April 16, 2018

I was skeptical at first, as I am with any big purchase approaching 2,000 dollars. Of course, many negative reviews didn't help, but I gave them a shot anyways.

The ordering process was actually very smooth and kind of fun to be honest. Now, afterwards, it began to take a while. However, after a quick chat with customer service (which so many people talk negative of), everything was cleared up and they even apologized for the wait (not even two weeks) and upgraded the shipping, which I was not expecting at all (I simply asked for an update).

Not only that, but they dealt with MULTIPLE order changes while it was in production, and the guy I chatted with was extremely honest and helpful in giving me advice for changes to make. (Once I double checked other sources afterwards, it turns out he was absolutely right). I have not received the system yet, as that call was a very short time ago, but so far IBP has been excellent to do business with, and I am sure that I will be satisfied when it arrives. Of course, I'll update if something bad occurs.

Original review: March 23, 2018

I bought a PC on Cyber Monday of 2013. It was delivered DOA (Dead on Arrival) and I called the tech support who asked me if I was capable to make repairs myself. As I'm about to open the case/tower he admits it will void any warranty once opened by the consumer... I paid for a 3-year warranty service (I have proof of this on my receipt.

I told the tech I would not be operating my computer myself since I have paid for this service even though I have a background in computers. I asked iBuyPower to email me a shipping label to return the desktop and he agreed. Not only did I not receive an email but this continued for over a year trying to get a shipping label and they would continually say "we will email it you".

I finally I get a shipping label and I call to confirm how to properly pack my computer (it's been a year since then) and the tech support says they will cover the shipping but the cost of labor and repairs are my responsibility at this point. I took this to the top with a manager and explained how it was DOA and I've called almost monthly to get a shipping label to return it and he did not care. TLDR: iBuyPower sell very expensive paperweights.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2018

I order my Computer back on 2-7-18 with a "Ship Out in 12-15 Business Days", It is now 2-24-18 and my status is still showing "2/16/2018 11:03 AM, Processing, Materials are now being gathered to complete the order." (The person pulling the order must have gotten lost.) I have called a couple of times to check on what is going on and they tell me there are more customer builds in front of me still with no other information. I asked if they could expedite the build and shipping method to get the system to me. They informed me any changes would delay the shipping? After I was hung up on by Customer Service on 2-23-18, I kept calling back. They would never answer their phone, so I borrowed the wife's cell phone while I was still in the next to be answered cue and got them to answer immediately on her phone.

I unfortunately got the same guy and then he put me on hold for almost an hour. I called back for another phone and got sales, there the gentleman did some researcher for the first time and stated the Video Card had be on back order. And they would start building the system yesterday 2-23-18, and it would ship Monday 2-16-18 and it would be delivered in about 5 business days.

As of today, the status had not changed as of 2-16-18 and it looks like it won't be delivered on 2-28-28. I am considering canceling my order and with this kind of problem and lack of communication, I am wondering how good the system will be built and what kind of Tech Support I will receive. I will never order from iBUYPOWER again, nor will I recommend them to anyone. I am already getting prices for a couple of other companies and their price is about the same and have all the parts in stock with a ship date after order is placed of 3 or 4 days. What is iBUYPOWER's problem?

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

I purchased a system from Ibuypower directly in summer of 2017, 3 weeks later it still had not been assembled. When I called to inquire as to why, I was told the video card was out of stock, and offered a downgrade as a substitute, which I refused. I told the person I spoke to that I expected either the card I ordered, or a substitute of at least equal performance, and they told me they would have to look into it and call me back. Later that day they called me back to say they had found the correct card in the assembly shop that had not been listed in their inventory system.

Fast forward 6 months later, the video card's fan bearing fails and begins making a very loud obnoxious noise. I called tech support, who agreed that the card was bad and needed to be replaced, was set up with an RMA, and sent the card back to them. They received the card on Monday the 5th, by Friday the 9th I had not received any notification of a replacement being shipped, so I called to ask for a status update, only to be told that nobody had even entered it into their system as having been received. I am convinced that if I did not have the tracking information proving their man signed for it they would have denied receiving it at all.

They wait until after their phone lines close for the week Friday evening to send me an email saying the serial number sticker had been removed and replaced and would not be honoring the warranty. I never touched the stickers, either they installed the card in the tower that way when they assembled it, or they removed the stickers themselves to avoid having to warranty it. It seems to me the most likely explanation is that the video card had been pulled from the inventory system for not being able to be warrantied, and was subsequently installed in my order as an expedient solution to getting an order that was already several weeks late out the door, gambling that the card would not fail before the 3 year warranty I purchased had expired...a bet they lost. Either way they adamantly refused to do anything about it.

I strongly recommend that you not purchase anything from this company. Their practices are shady at best, possibly even illegal, but since I do not have any pictures to prove that the stickers on the card are unmodified from how they were when I first received it, I don't have any proof that would stand up in court. Now I am stuck with defective hardware.

Fortunately I am an experienced mechanic and electrician, I have the skills to be able to buy a replacement fan off the internet and repair the card myself (And I never would have bothered to spend the $20 shipping it back to them had I known they would pull this BS), which should only cost a few dollars. Others are not likely to have these skills.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2018

When I first bought the iBUYPOWER WA8140A Gaming PC I was very excited for it (I still am). It took about a month for it to arrive. (Ordered through BestBuy and ordered on December 3rd received December 28th.) I used it for a while. Could run all of the games I wanted to on high setting but it cause me stress because it didnt come with wifi or a CD-ROM drive. Then I had problems with the monitor showing no signal but that was just an old monitor from 2008 but I just got a new monitor, it work just like it should having no problems.

Except I just have to turn on the PC then wait like 10 seconds then turn on the monitor. Overall I love it I can run games like FortNite on high and epic with about 100 fps CSGO on all high and get about 200-300 fps. It can run Rocket League on all high with on about 150 FPS. I love the computer. It can do everything I need it to and is very easy to upgrade! Very happy with purchase besides those problems!

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

I purchased a new iBUYPOWER computer at Best Buy and it worked fine for two weeks then would crash and reboot with a message saying computer hardware or software fault. I sent back to iBUYPOWER as Best Buy would not help me at all or even look at the computer. I got the computer back three weeks later and it was worse than before. Even opening a picture file would crash it. I called iBUYPOWER and they said they had replaced the hard drive which was an outright lie as the software on it was just as it was before I got another RMA # from them and sent it back. I am still waiting to receive it and after reading all the reviews on the company I am expecting it to not be right. I would advise anyone to NOT buy from iBUYPOWER as their products are clearly inferior and the people who work there could not care less about customer service.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2018

I purchased an iBUYPOWER computer and eventually bought an Xbox One/pc gaming headset. However, for some reason, this computer does not work with any headset, yet they claim to be a "gaming computer" seller. I paid 100$ for a headset with only one aux male part. For some reason this computer which is so "new and innovative" has outdated aux. Plugging my headset into the towers headset allowed for sound, but the mic would not work. So I spend 4 hours going to about 6 different stores to trying to find an adapter for the tower which has both a separate microphone and sound aux input.

I then had to buy an adapter online because all stores even said "they dont sell/use these anymore". Adapter comes into today 1/14/18 and tried it many different ways from the tower to the aux in back of the monitor. I even went online and changed all my settings and properties around within the devices and still nothing. Extremely displeased customer. So much I'd say this is a sham of a product.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2018

I get one. Paid 1200$ and worked great but I live in Florida and we have a lot of bugs and with the motherboard laying down they get on it and will burn it out. Had this happen 2 time in 2 weeks so I went back to Dell, motherboard is upright and never had it happen again and it had never happen before.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

Attempted to buy TWO different systems from iBuyPower for Christmas present for son. First arrived with non-functioning motherboard. Could not replace as they were out of stock, so had to UPGRADE. Upgraded system arrived just in time for Christmas - and with a non-functioning SSD (which is where the operating system was loaded). They were unable to replace until I filed a claim and received an "RMA" number - which didn't arrive until Dec 26. I called 3 times Dec 26-27 before I got someone on the phone. Who proceeded to tell me I'd have to PAY to have the replacement SSD sent to me even though the rep I had spoken to prior to Christmas explicitly said it would not cost me a dime to get the replacement and that'd I'd have it by Dec 28 if I called them on Dec 26. It's a scam. They have crazy high specs and terrible quality & customer service. Pick ANY other brand.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2017

I was hesitant on purchasing a $2,000 computer from iBuyPower after reading a lot of reviews. However, based on the incredible price, I decided to pull the trigger. iBuyPower kept me updated through email throughout the whole building/shipping process, which was very convenient. When my computer arrived about 10 business days later by FedEx, the very durable box was in great shape. I unpacked everything and did not notice any damage or inconsistencies. After powering on the computer, it booted up within seconds and I was on my way setting it up.

Overall, I could not be more pleased with my purchase and am glad I decided to going with iBuyPower for my purchase! (8700k/1080ti). I think one issue with the overwhelming negative reviews is that most people who receive a great product do not leave a review... but, anyone with any problem almost always leaves a negative review. Thank you, iBuyPower. You’ve earned a customer for life!

Original review: Dec. 20, 2017

Had the computer for less than a month, and I had to re-image it. That was not common. Right after the 1 year warranty was up, I had the sound card fighting with the system board. I had to remove it to get the computer to reboot. Then I had to do the same with the network card. in the last 8 months 3 of the case fans have died, and I have to replace them myself. I've bought computers from Dell, and HP, and never had these sort of issues. This was supposed to be a serious gaming computer, and it's been more of a series piece of junk. I would NEVER buy from them again. It came in on time, but the amount of frustration hasn't been worth it at all. It's been 2 years almost, and I can't afford to buy another computer, but if I could I would, and I wouldn't give this piece of garbage to anyone. It's only fit for the trash.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2017

They charged my account, money was transferred (not a pending transaction hold, they had the money, my bank sent it). They decided they couldn't confirm the address (my bank has blocked transfers because someone had "St" instead of "Street"). Called in, they confirmed everything was entered exactly. So they tried charging me two more times, which since they had my 1300 USD already, bounced. After waiting another 20 minutes on hold I get an agent insisting they couldn't verify the address (again, if that were the case, they wouldn't have my 1300 dollars). I got fed up and told him to cancel the order, to which the agent responds with "I hope we can survive the holiday without you" and promptly hung up on me. Spent another 30 minutes on hold to confirm that the order had actually been cancelled and they claim my order was the fraud.

Now they're saying my refund will take at least 1-2 weeks, meanwhile I'm out 1300 bucks AND a computer until then. Will never try to use or recommend to others, this company again. Their prices are only slightly more than ordering parts yourself, but the convenience of not having to assemble used to be worth something. Racking up bounce fees and having my money effectively stolen for multiple weeks until they deign to release it for their screw-up, on the other hand, is anything but.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

We bought a laptop from them and it came to us broken. We returned it to them and they blamed US for the damage and refused to give us a refund. When we spoke to customer service, the guy said he was the only one to speak to, that he didn't have a supervisor, that he couldn't give us the name of their legal team, and that there was nothing they would do. The guy was sarcastic and passive-aggressive. Needless to say, we will NEVER buy from this company again! $1100 down the drain. I'd give them a zero if I could. DON'T DO IT!

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

I was very excited to build a computer using this company as I had heard great things. Placing my order online went smooth, but it quickly turned bad after that. I started getting notifications that I would be receiving my order in pieces spread out over 4 days. I called to see what was going on, and was informed at this point that the chair I ordered was on backorder and they were not sure when it would be back in stock. Over the three week assembly and shipping process they never attempted to contact me to inform me of the item on backorder. Once everything did arrive and I was able to use my new amazing system I was happy for a little less than 30 days. It was then that my amazing custom built super powered gaming system was unable to run the most basic game without drastic lag. I figured this had to be a software or driver issue since the computer was literally brand new.

After spending a few months of my free time troubleshooting with no results, I woke up one morning to the smell of an electrical burn. My video card smoked. To their credit, iBUYPOWER immediately generated a shipping label for me to send the system in for service. This is where the real fun begins. I contact them to verify receipt and explain the situation to the tech. After about a week of nothing, I contact them again to have a "customer care" person tell me he could not help me without my RMA number and hung up on me.

I immediately called back and the next person was magically able to find my account with my name. He transferred me to a tech where I was once again told that my video card was not in stock and they had no idea when it would be in stock. He also went on to explain that they were replacing my power supply, and it was also not in stock. Oh, and apparently the liquid cooling system I ordered had a tendency to leak and they would be replacing it as well. At least this item was in stock.

At this point I requested to speak to a supervisor. This was a mistake. This guy has no business speaking to customers ever. I'm told that they are unwilling to upgrade the video card in order to expedite the process. I am now emailing anyone in the company that I can find information on. Darren Su, a cofounder, clearly does not care about the success of his company as he refuses to interact with a customer. Although I am assuming he got involved after receiving my first email because our super helpful supervisor that I spoke of earlier was suddenly willing to upgrade my video card to one that was in stock. His demeanor over the phone had also completely changed.

So once again I am excited that my computer is finally back in my possession. One more time my excitement was met with disappointment. The box they used to ship my computer in was oversized and the packing inside was lacking. I'm sure you can guess that this led to physical damage to the computer housing. The pins used to secure the top plate to the box frame were all completely shorn off. The front plate was disengaged as well with one of its pins also broken. The custom wiring I paid extra for was done so poorly that the metal plate cover cannot be placed on the box without it visibly bowing. This is if you can even get it back on at all. Guess who I have the pleasure of speaking with again? Surprise surprise they want me to send it back to them again so they can fix the damage that they caused. Save yourself the headache and buy your computer somewhere else.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

This is the third computer I have bought from IBP over the years. Each about 4 years apart or so. The first 2 purchases went fine. Simple, I picked what I wanted from their options, paid a nice sales price, and had it eventually shipped to me, and it arrived good-to-go. These days however? Absolute freakin NIGHTMARE. This has been the single worst purchasing experience of my life.

It all started back in early June (I just got the computer and it is now September). I was getting married soon, and my now wife was preparing to go back to school for another degree. We decided it would be fun to get her a new computer, for those nights where we would have no social life with work and school, and she could just play with me. I spoke both online, and over the phone with different members of their teams, brainstorming what I wanted to do with this computer. I was told by multiple people that all my requests were acceptable, and even had a guy clear it with his supervisor. So I went ahead and ordered the PC.

Weeks later I was told they were refusing to do anything I had asked, even down to the simplest detail. Even on things every person I spoke with said I could have modified, without fail. Initially I balked, I was paying 1700$, surely I could get some better treatment than this, right? Wrong. The technician working on my computer threatened to cancel my order. His supervisor threatened to cancel my order. I was being strong-armed into just accepting whatever they would give me. In the end, I gave up, I just wanted the PC finished and the calls and emails with horrible employees to end.

Weeks more go by, and me and my wife got to go on a honeymoon. We aren't well-to-do, this PC was a big deal on our accounts, as was getting married this year. We had never been out of the country before, and were having a blast. Then they cancelled my order. No call. No Email. No nothing. Weeks of working on it, after I told them specifically in an email responding to one of their threats, "I'm not authorizing anyone to cancel anything. Just finish the build however you have to, do it your way. ", they simply cancelled my entire order out of the blue. It took days of calling/emailing/ and arguing for them to resuscitate my order. No one could tell me why it happened, all they would tell me is that it was in fact the supervisor who had been threatening to cancel my order that did so.

At this point they had to start from scratch again. I had come after them within an hour of the cancellation email, but they had still scrapped everything apparently (If the trash service is any indication - they probably never even started!!!). Weeks more go by when I get an email saying it will arrive on Thursday at some random time - despite paying like an extra 100$ for appointment delivery. I then take a day off work to make sure 1700$ isn't sitting on my apartment's front porch in a city of over 600,000 people. While waiting I receive a phone call where I'm told that I will have to drive a half an hour out of the way to get my order from the FedEx shipping facility. Neither FedEx nor IBP were interested in reimbursing me for the shipping fee I paid for when I didn't get the service I paid for.

Then I finally get it home, unbox it, and assemble it, happy to think the nightmare is almost over at this point. Wrong AGAIN. The device refused to boot. Confused I call their tech support, wondering if the drives were bogus on arrival? Their first question, "Did you buy it without an operating system?" WHY THE HELL would I do that? I literally bought this from their FRONT PAGE, as a special flash sale event the week or so before the 4th of July. Wanna know why it was such a good deal? Because it didn't come with a ** OPERATING SYSTEM!!! NOWHERE DID IT DETAIL THIS EITHER!!!

So here I am, about drive across town to spend another 100+$ to get a copy of Windows 10, so that maybe this nightmare can have a happy ending before the holiday weekend begins. I will never buy from iBUYPOWER ever again. No one I know will either if I have any say in it. AVOID AT ALL COSTS. RUDE, SCAMMING, INCOMPETENT, BUNGLING MORONS WORK THERE.

iBUYPOWER expert review by ConsumerAffairs

iBUYPOWER was founded in 1999 to offer custom PCs that are focused on power and cutting edge technology to keep up with the demands of the growing gaming market. Located in City of Industry, Calif., iBuyPower is now one of the leading manufacturers and retailers of gaming PCs for consumers in the United States.

• Easy Builder: iBUYPOWER's Easy Builder walks consumers through the steps of finding the right computer rig for their gaming needs. Based on consumers’ gaming habits, iBuyPower makes suggestions for the right system.

• Custom liquid cooling: Gaming PCs require a lot of power, and without proper cooling and ventilation systems, they can overheat quickly. iBUYPOWER’s liquid cooling systems can keep a custom PC running at peak performance.

• Refurbished: iBUYPOWER offers a selection of refurbished computer systems at discount prices. Each system is guaranteed and comes with a 14-day return policy along with a 90-day warranty for laptops and a six-month warranty for desktops.

• Weekly specials: iBUYPOWER holds weekly rotating sales on desktop PCs, laptops and other computer equipment and hardware. Products are subject to availability.

• Laptop lines: In addition to its line of Battalion gaming laptops, iBuyPower sells ASUS and MSI gaming laptops. Screen sizes range from 14-18.4 inches.

• Best for: iBUYPOWER is best for high-level performance enthusiasts and consumers who want a powerful gaming PC.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs