4.8/5 (1480 ratings)

About iBUYPOWER

iBUYPOWER Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about iBUYPOWER?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about iBUYPOWER?

Original review: Dec. 19, 2021

I chose an iBuyPower prebuild after months of comparing different assemblers online. I was upgrading from a 2017 prebuild from a different company and was wary of going this route again. The PC itself is amazing. Runs great, no issues and arrived in near perfect condition. The only thing keeping this review from being 5 stars is that it took roughly a month to get issues with the order straightened out with the company.

The website double ordered the PC causing it to be double charged on my credit card as well. When I tried cancelling online the cancel button was not there. There was a picture on the site about where the button should have been, but no actual button. I tried calling to cancel the duplicate order, but being a Saturday realized I'd have to wait until Monday to get ahold of anyone there. No problem, I called Monday and was told it would be cancelled. Tuesday rolls around and I get an email that both have shipped. Contacted customer support again who apologized and said they would contact FedEx to cancel the shipment.

Both PCs arrived anyways, and I was instructed to reject one so that it could be returned and I could get my refund. I do and keep in regular contact with their support team so I can get the double charge dropped from my card. I also realized they had not included the wifi card on this unit, but after sending a picture of the back of the PC they promptly sent one out. It took roughly a week after it had arrived back to them before the charge was dropped from my card -- after I complained that it had already dinged my credit score.

Overall, I was incredibly displeased with the ordering process. Their support team was very professional and polite, however their website and ordering process needs a major overhaul. But at the end of the day, I have my new PC which I'm hoping will last me many many years. It's fast, plays any games/streaming I want, and the lights and case are very slick.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2021

I've been building my own computers for about 15 years now. Up until the pandemic, it was always the way to go in getting the best bang for my buck and the performance that I want or need without paying top dollar. This year is a whole different story - between the pandemic supply issues and the crypto-miners buying up all the good graphics cards for mining. The cost of a good card is now the same cost as buying a decent gaming rig. So, I decided to investigate about 10 of the custom and prebuilt sites to see what's out there these days.

I started with the usual large chain sites like Dell, Lenovo, and HP and found the normal consumer run of the mill, overpriced stuff, and it did not wow me. I continued to some of the more "custom" sites, including iBuyPower. I used tools to customize different builds on each site to get an idea of the cost, then dug into the "ready to ship" models to see if I could find one in my budget and close to what I would have built myself. Most of these places only had discounts on ready to ship models, not custom builds. Though Black Friday and Cyber Monday discounts weren't the greatest this year, iBuyPower was grabbing my attention more and more. I wanted to keep my budget below $2000, but still have something that will do what I need for a couple years. Then I can upgrade a few components later on when [if] pricing goes back to reasonable levels.

I decided to go with an iBuyPower rig. They offered good pricing and quite a few selections ranging from $900 to $4,000. Shipping was late by a day (2-day became 3, but that was on the shipping company), IBP shipped within 3-4 days of the purchase. The packaging was outstanding. I thoroughly checked to make sure there wasn't any damage, as it was a model that had tempered glass for the front and side. I found everything in order and looking good.

I opened the case and powered it on for the first time to be sure it worked before adding some of my previous drives to the PC to move things over. Everything powered up fine, and it was a nice change having some RBG lighting. Everything was working, and it runs very quiet and cool. Overall, I am pleased that I chose iBuyPower for this prebuilt PC. I wish I waited another day or two, because I later found one with 12th gen Intel CPU and a slightly better graphics card for only $100 more. But, that being said, I am still happy with my purchase for what I got. I will keep iBuyPower in my favorites and be sure to check in often to see what they have in the future.

Get buying tips about Computer Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 24, 2021

I bought my PC back in November and am now giving an 8-month review and revisiting my buying experience. I initially decided to get a high-end gaming PC as a gift to myself for my 50th birthday. I had several specs in mind, including a decent graphics card, an Nvme m2 drive (2 tb), an additional storage HD, and a high-end AMD processor (a 9+). I ended up with all this and more but had to go through some growing pains with the company.

I called in early October and asked if the Black Friday deals were really worth it. At that point my system was around $2.1k (base, before extras and taxes) and I had to settle for 2nd best on a couple of things and an average graphics card but was getting my m2 drive. The salesperson told me I should wait as I’d get a much better deal in November. Heeding his advice, the next week the new Nvidia graphics cards came out. Boy, was I glad I waited! The next month I purchased the following system for approx. $2.6k (included some other minor items not listed):

Case: iBUYPOWER Element MR Mirror Finished Tempered Glass ARGB Gaming Case
    Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X Processor (12X 3.7GHz/64MB L3 Cache)
    Motherboard: ASUS PRIME X570-P - ARGB Header (1), USB 3.2 Ports (6 Type-A), M.2 Slot (2)
    Memory: 32 GB [16 GB x2] DDR4-3200 Memory Module - Certified Major Brand Gaming Memory
    Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 - 8GB GDDR6 (VR-Ready)
    Power Supply: 750 Watt - CORSAIR RM750 - 80 PLUS Gold, Full Modular
    Processor Cooling: iBUYPOWER 240mm Addressable RGB Liquid Cooling System - Black - Free Upgrade to iBUYPOWER DEEPCOOL GAMER STORM RGB 240mm CASTLE 240EX Liquid Cooler
    Primary Storage: 2TB SEAGATE FIRECUDA 520 M.2 PCI-E 4.0 NVME Gen 4 SSD - Gen4 Read: 5000 MB/s, Write: 4400 MB/s, Gen3 Read: 3450 MB/S, Write: 2500MB/s
    Secondary Storage: 2TB Seagate Barracuda Hard Drive -- 256MB Cache, 7200RPM, 6.0Gb/s - Single Drive
    Sound Card: 3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard
    Network Card: Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100)
    Operating System: Windows 10 Pro w/ Windows Recovery USB - (64-bit)
    Warranty: 3 Year Standard Warranty + 1 Year Return Ground Shipping Coverage (US ONLY)
    iBUYPOWER SafeGuard Packaging: iBUYPOWER Specialized Advanced Packaging System - Protect your investment during transportation!

Advanced Cabling Options: Professional Wiring - for all standard default cables inside the system

The cost was $500 higher than I initially budgeted, but I was getting almost all the items at deep discounts and that was a final price, so I went ahead and purchased. Over the next 2 weeks iBuyPower sent regular updates as to the build status and the PC arrived two weeks ahead of schedule. It was delivered in a well-packed box. After removing the PC, I saw that there was foam underneath the graphics card and had to unplug the card to remove it. I forgot where the pins went in which became a problem later on. Not knowing anything about graphics cards and it being 11 pm, I was forced to do a crash course on my old PC. I was terrified about breaking my new PC and having to wait a month for it to be replaced. I didn’t do the connections right anyway, and by the time I got through to customer service the next day several hours later, I was pretty pissed – I had specifically had them build the PC so I wouldn’t have to screw with this.

The tech guy calmed me down and explained I wasn’t going to break the PC and how to connect it (the pin sleeves were very hard to maneuver on). As it turns out, I had connected the monitor in the wrong port (a misleading sign pointing down made me look directly beneath the arrow and not at the panel below). It all worked out in the end, but the frustration with hold times and dealing with the packaging left a bad taste in my mouth.

The PC performed very well over the next six months. I actually had to learn some things (gasp!) and do stuff myself to maintain the PC; most of it was automatic, however. I found the Nvidia people extremely helpful. I hesitated to call iBuyPower tech support due to the long hold times during workday hours. The only real problem I had was an occasional complete freeze of the system – even the colored lights on the desktop facing froze in place. The only way past it was a hard reboot. This happened maybe once a month during hard use with Daz studio, a 3d rendering program, running in most cases and several windows open.

Yesterday I got a pair of audio port speakers to replace my USB soundbar speaker (which had bad quality). When I did, my headset, which has only one audio jack, quit working. I was forced to use Discord over the phone and after several Google searches and speaking with a Mircosoft tech, I decided to call iBuyPower in the morning and solve these two issues.

When I called, I was VERY pleasantly surprised. Gone were the phone menus and messages. Instead, a pleasant voice recited my RMA number and connected me after a 45 second wait. The operator patiently listened to me and transferred me to tech support, which I figured would be at least 30 minutes. This time, the line was answered in a minute. The tech listened to me explain my audio issues and gave me advice on how to solve them, first by making sure I had done everything I could (like download the driver, mess with settings, etc.). When he determined that there was no mic setting appearing when I plugged in the single cord headset, he advised me to buy a $6 Y-cord from Amazon if I wanted to use the headset.

As for the other issue, he directed me to test my memory, figuring the graphics card would show pixilation or some other visible effect before the screen froze. He explained if the memory was bad I had several options on how to replace it and what the process would be. He asked if I had any questions and listened patiently as I complimented in the 180-degree turn-around in service times. He explained that this was their post-Covid phone system and that they had finally caught up.

I did the one-hour memory test and found the memory was fine – I suspect the 3d rendering program is the culprit here. I was very impressed, however. The company saw that there was a problem with their customer service, and they fixed it rather than invest more in sales. Moreover, the tech support person was patient and explained everything in detail, never saying that none of this was iBuyPower’s problem and to look it up on the internet. Btw…I looked up the system on their website with just the main features and it is now $3.3k (before tax). I had priced the system before and iBuyPower was the lowest by a couple of hundred – I am confident that other custom build sites won’t be able to go much lower than the new price tag with BitCoin operators buying up all the graphic cards. So, if you want a custom-built PC built right at an excellent price and with excellent customer support, I suggest you choose iBuyPower.

Disclaimer: I had bought my previous PC from iBuyPower after shopping around and had a much better initial experience with customer service, which is why I was so disappointed by the extended hold times in November. I feel it also worth mentioning that I had gone with iBuyPower after their competitor sent me a PC someone had obviously dropped and put in the box anyway. The competitor would not take the PC back and I had to cancel the charge on my credit card. I am not sure if I am supposed to mention names in reviews, but they have since changed their name (and raised their prices). I am receiving an Amazon gift card for submitting this review.

Original review: March 3, 2021

I ordered the computer with all of the parts I wanted and at the time it was at the beginning waves of the RTX 30 series cards shelling out and it was in the early stages of the Miner/Scalper craze. I expected upfront I would be paying a premium having the computer being built by someone else but I didn't want to deal with the headache of trying to procure the parts myself and I am glad that I did as I am sure if I didn't go with them I may still be waiting on some of the parts I desire today.

Overall, I love the fact that my unit came in fully intact with no parts visibly damaged. Even more impressive as the exterior box did have some damage during transit. I will state some of the minor details that were missed mostly because I feel that while it doesn't inhibit the ability for the unit to function properly, I do believe that awareness of these details could help improve the quality of labor to ensure that these minor details aren't missed later on.

The first issue that came up was that the only M.2 drive screw I received with the system was the one being used by the drive I ordered with the system. Because of this... I don't have the correct screws for securing a drive in my second M.2 drive slot and if it were not for my motherboard's M.2 heat sink for that slot I'd have nothing holding the drive in place. I know that not every customer that orders through iBuypower may be knowledgeable enough to notice but details like this can be embarrassing if in a GPU shortage like we have now... more knowledgeable customers have to order through them and they notice these things. I would not be bothered to make a specific mention of this if iBuypower offered replacement screw/hardware kits to fill such needs as M.2 slot screws.

The second issue that came up, my selected motherboard has a specific fan header set aside for liquid cooler pumps as it has presets in the motherboard BIOS to make that header more efficient for All-in-One liquid coolers. The system as I ordered it had an AiO and the fan header cable for it was not attached to the AiO pump header but instead to the CPU_OPT slot. Instead the AiO slot had a couple of the case fans plugged into it. I understand that not all motherboards have an AiO optimized fan header, but system builders that have as their job to build systems should at least have the ability to receive the information they need to most efficiently utilize the included parts. Again, I feel that it is likely a lack of access to information for the specific motherboard that may have been part of the cause of this small oversight.

While the second issue I was able to fix myself, the first issue I have yet to be able to find what I need and my attempts to reach through the motherboard's manufacturer has not been very promising. In the end, no issues with the BIOS or the system's ability to boot properly. It worked right out of the box and I am happy that I have the hardware that I wanted without the headache of trying to beat the scalper bots trying to get the hardware myself. The issues that came up I feel the greater share of buyers may not notice. And overall the positives far outweigh the negatives. I plan to recommend them if there is anyone hoping to get a gaming system that either is unaware of the current situation with GPUs and high end CPUs or they are aware and are looking for alternatives than dealing with the headaches of trying to acquisition the parts themselves fighting with scalpers and miners.

Original review: March 2, 2021

Buying from iBuyPower was great. There is a reason that they have won Secret Shopper (done by LinusTechTips) two times in a row. iBuyPower is aptly named because you do buy a lot of power for a very reasonable price. I built a custom PC from them, and it is great. Given the current chip shortage and scalpers, buying a prebuilt is really the cheapest way to get a gaming PC in early 2021.

That is not to mention that iBuyPower usually has deals, which make buying a PC from them super affordable (all things considered). For example, I got a 2080 super, a Ryzen 5 5600 x, and 32 gb of RGB ram for around $1,300. Buying it new, a 2080 super would equal the total cost of my system. Obviously, the 2080 super is an older generation card, so I could've opted for a 3060 ti which has around the same performance. However, even in a normal GPU environment, my iBuyPower build would have been cheaper by a significant margin. I cannot promise that you will be able to get as good a deal as I was because the 2080 super was likely discounted because they were getting rid of stock to move to the newer generation GPUs. Nevertheless, given the current environment and the regular deals that iBuyPower holds, buying from iBuyPower is still probably going to be cheaper than building your own for most of 2021.

Because many people are working from home, you will find that build times on custom PCs as opposed to their same day ready systems are quite long. It took around 4.5-5 weeks to get my system built which is pretty long. That's not to mention that my shipment was slowed down by the winter storm that hit the middle of the US which caused a couple weeks of delay on my shipment. As a result, in total, it took around 7-8 weeks for me to get my order. I can't fault iBuyPower much because they can only handle so many orders, and they cannot control the weather. You should factor in this time as you make your buying decision.

The only qualm I had with iBuyPower was their customer service. After a few weeks, I had seen no progress on my build, which I think is pretty normal given the amount of orders they are receiving. I tried to call them multiple times, but it always said their line was busy. It seems like they don't have a "hold" system for their phones, where you can wait until the next available representative. After a few days of attempting to speak to someone, I finally did, but it is pretty mind blowing that a company like iBuyPower has this problem. For this review, I called in, and the same thing happened. Although this was pretty frustrating, my overall experience was phenomenal, and I cannot recommend iBuyPower enough.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2022

Great buy for the price. Super happy with it. It had everything I was looking for in a computer and then some for half the price of the competitors. Absolutely great for a first time pc. I would highly recommend =.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2022

I ordered my gaming desktop via Grover and next thing I knew, the morning after the night I purchased it, surely so, I got a text via UPS that it would arrive today, the 11th of January. So far after unpacking it it's SO SO SO much prettier and sleek than displayed. Not a crack, smudge, dent, nothing wrong with it. And! You know it's brand new just by the smell of the inner box. 5/5 stars! I am recommending you guys wherever I can to whomever is willing to listen. You're the best I've ever worked with.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2022

I was really excited about this PC and it had met my expectations. It runs smoothly when I'm playing my games. The graphics are top notch and you get what you pay for. I was a little skeptical due to the price but I was surprised of the quality. I recommend this product if you're starting out.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2022

Looked for the best and right PC Gaming Computer for my needs and found iBUYPOWER online at Costco. iBUYPOWER provided me the best value, best quality and best price for my budget. Highly recommend.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2022

Love the pc, amazing product. I recommend this product to anyone who wants a very good computer system to game on do work on. This is a very good and trustworthy company. I love them and will continue to buy from them.

iBUYPOWER author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

iBUYPOWER was founded in 1999 to offer custom PCs that are focused on power and cutting edge technology to keep up with the demands of the growing gaming market. Located in City of Industry, Calif., iBuyPower is now one of the leading manufacturers and retailers of gaming PCs for consumers in the United States.

• Easy Builder: iBUYPOWER's Easy Builder walks consumers through the steps of finding the right computer rig for their gaming needs. Based on consumers’ gaming habits, iBuyPower makes suggestions for the right system.

• Custom liquid cooling: Gaming PCs require a lot of power, and without proper cooling and ventilation systems, they can overheat quickly. iBUYPOWER’s liquid cooling systems can keep a custom PC running at peak performance.

• Refurbished: iBUYPOWER offers a selection of refurbished computer systems at discount prices. Each system is guaranteed and comes with a 14-day return policy along with a 90-day warranty for laptops and a six-month warranty for desktops.

• Weekly specials: iBUYPOWER holds weekly rotating sales on desktop PCs, laptops and other computer equipment and hardware. Products are subject to availability.

• Laptop lines: In addition to its line of Battalion gaming laptops, iBuyPower sells ASUS and MSI gaming laptops. Screen sizes range from 14-18.4 inches.

iBUYPOWER Company Information