4.7/5 (1634 ratings)

About iBUYPOWER

iBUYPOWER Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about iBUYPOWER?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about iBUYPOWER?

Original review: June 24, 2021

I bought my PC back in November and am now giving an 8-month review and revisiting my buying experience. I initially decided to get a high-end gaming PC as a gift to myself for my 50th birthday. I had several specs in mind, including a decent graphics card, an Nvme m2 drive (2 tb), an additional storage HD, and a high-end AMD processor (a 9+). I ended up with all this and more but had to go through some growing pains with the company.

I called in early October and asked if the Black Friday deals were really worth it. At that point my system was around $2.1k (base, before extras and taxes) and I had to settle for 2nd best on a couple of things and an average graphics card but was getting my m2 drive. The salesperson told me I should wait as I’d get a much better deal in November. Heeding his advice, the next week the new Nvidia graphics cards came out. Boy, was I glad I waited! The next month I purchased the following system for approx. $2.6k (included some other minor items not listed):

Case: iBUYPOWER Element MR Mirror Finished Tempered Glass ARGB Gaming Case
Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X Processor (12X 3.7GHz/64MB L3 Cache)
Motherboard: ASUS PRIME X570-P - ARGB Header (1), USB 3.2 Ports (6 Type-A), M.2 Slot (2)
Memory: 32 GB [16 GB x2] DDR4-3200 Memory Module - Certified Major Brand Gaming Memory
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 - 8GB GDDR6 (VR-Ready)
Power Supply: 750 Watt - CORSAIR RM750 - 80 PLUS Gold, Full Modular
Processor Cooling: iBUYPOWER 240mm Addressable RGB Liquid Cooling System - Black - Free Upgrade to iBUYPOWER DEEPCOOL GAMER STORM RGB 240mm CASTLE 240EX Liquid Cooler
Primary Storage: 2TB SEAGATE FIRECUDA 520 M.2 PCI-E 4.0 NVME Gen 4 SSD - Gen4 Read: 5000 MB/s, Write: 4400 MB/s, Gen3 Read: 3450 MB/S, Write: 2500MB/s
Secondary Storage: 2TB Seagate Barracuda Hard Drive -- 256MB Cache, 7200RPM, 6.0Gb/s - Single Drive
Sound Card: 3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard
Network Card: Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100)
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro w/ Windows Recovery USB - (64-bit)
Warranty: 3 Year Standard Warranty + 1 Year Return Ground Shipping Coverage (US ONLY)
iBUYPOWER SafeGuard Packaging: iBUYPOWER Specialized Advanced Packaging System - Protect your investment during transportation!

Advanced Cabling Options: Professional Wiring - for all standard default cables inside the system

The cost was $500 higher than I initially budgeted, but I was getting almost all the items at deep discounts and that was a final price, so I went ahead and purchased. Over the next 2 weeks iBuyPower sent regular updates as to the build status and the PC arrived two weeks ahead of schedule. It was delivered in a well-packed box. After removing the PC, I saw that there was foam underneath the graphics card and had to unplug the card to remove it. I forgot where the pins went in which became a problem later on. Not knowing anything about graphics cards and it being 11 pm, I was forced to do a crash course on my old PC. I was terrified about breaking my new PC and having to wait a month for it to be replaced. I didn’t do the connections right anyway, and by the time I got through to customer service the next day several hours later, I was pretty pissed – I had specifically had them build the PC so I wouldn’t have to screw with this.

The tech guy calmed me down and explained I wasn’t going to break the PC and how to connect it (the pin sleeves were very hard to maneuver on). As it turns out, I had connected the monitor in the wrong port (a misleading sign pointing down made me look directly beneath the arrow and not at the panel below). It all worked out in the end, but the frustration with hold times and dealing with the packaging left a bad taste in my mouth.

The PC performed very well over the next six months. I actually had to learn some things (gasp!) and do stuff myself to maintain the PC; most of it was automatic, however. I found the Nvidia people extremely helpful. I hesitated to call iBuyPower tech support due to the long hold times during workday hours. The only real problem I had was an occasional complete freeze of the system – even the colored lights on the desktop facing froze in place. The only way past it was a hard reboot. This happened maybe once a month during hard use with Daz studio, a 3d rendering program, running in most cases and several windows open.

Yesterday I got a pair of audio port speakers to replace my USB soundbar speaker (which had bad quality). When I did, my headset, which has only one audio jack, quit working. I was forced to use Discord over the phone and after several Google searches and speaking with a Mircosoft tech, I decided to call iBuyPower in the morning and solve these two issues.

When I called, I was VERY pleasantly surprised. Gone were the phone menus and messages. Instead, a pleasant voice recited my RMA number and connected me after a 45 second wait. The operator patiently listened to me and transferred me to tech support, which I figured would be at least 30 minutes. This time, the line was answered in a minute. The tech listened to me explain my audio issues and gave me advice on how to solve them, first by making sure I had done everything I could (like download the driver, mess with settings, etc.). When he determined that there was no mic setting appearing when I plugged in the single cord headset, he advised me to buy a $6 Y-cord from Amazon if I wanted to use the headset.

As for the other issue, he directed me to test my memory, figuring the graphics card would show pixilation or some other visible effect before the screen froze. He explained if the memory was bad I had several options on how to replace it and what the process would be. He asked if I had any questions and listened patiently as I complimented in the 180-degree turn-around in service times. He explained that this was their post-Covid phone system and that they had finally caught up.

I did the one-hour memory test and found the memory was fine – I suspect the 3d rendering program is the culprit here. I was very impressed, however. The company saw that there was a problem with their customer service, and they fixed it rather than invest more in sales. Moreover, the tech support person was patient and explained everything in detail, never saying that none of this was iBuyPower’s problem and to look it up on the internet. Btw…I looked up the system on their website with just the main features and it is now $3.3k (before tax). I had priced the system before and iBuyPower was the lowest by a couple of hundred – I am confident that other custom build sites won’t be able to go much lower than the new price tag with BitCoin operators buying up all the graphic cards. So, if you want a custom-built PC built right at an excellent price and with excellent customer support, I suggest you choose iBuyPower.

Disclaimer: I had bought my previous PC from iBuyPower after shopping around and had a much better initial experience with customer service, which is why I was so disappointed by the extended hold times in November. I feel it also worth mentioning that I had gone with iBuyPower after their competitor sent me a PC someone had obviously dropped and put in the box anyway. The competitor would not take the PC back and I had to cancel the charge on my credit card. I am not sure if I am supposed to mention names in reviews, but they have since changed their name (and raised their prices). I am receiving an Amazon gift card for submitting this review.

Original review: March 3, 2021

I ordered the computer with all of the parts I wanted and at the time it was at the beginning waves of the RTX 30 series cards shelling out and it was in the early stages of the Miner/Scalper craze. I expected upfront I would be paying a premium having the computer being built by someone else but I didn't want to deal with the headache of trying to procure the parts myself and I am glad that I did as I am sure if I didn't go with them I may still be waiting on some of the parts I desire today.

Overall, I love the fact that my unit came in fully intact with no parts visibly damaged. Even more impressive as the exterior box did have some damage during transit. I will state some of the minor details that were missed mostly because I feel that while it doesn't inhibit the ability for the unit to function properly, I do believe that awareness of these details could help improve the quality of labor to ensure that these minor details aren't missed later on.

The first issue that came up was that the only M.2 drive screw I received with the system was the one being used by the drive I ordered with the system. Because of this... I don't have the correct screws for securing a drive in my second M.2 drive slot and if it were not for my motherboard's M.2 heat sink for that slot I'd have nothing holding the drive in place. I know that not every customer that orders through iBuypower may be knowledgeable enough to notice but details like this can be embarrassing if in a GPU shortage like we have now... more knowledgeable customers have to order through them and they notice these things. I would not be bothered to make a specific mention of this if iBuypower offered replacement screw/hardware kits to fill such needs as M.2 slot screws.

The second issue that came up, my selected motherboard has a specific fan header set aside for liquid cooler pumps as it has presets in the motherboard BIOS to make that header more efficient for All-in-One liquid coolers. The system as I ordered it had an AiO and the fan header cable for it was not attached to the AiO pump header but instead to the CPU_OPT slot. Instead the AiO slot had a couple of the case fans plugged into it. I understand that not all motherboards have an AiO optimized fan header, but system builders that have as their job to build systems should at least have the ability to receive the information they need to most efficiently utilize the included parts. Again, I feel that it is likely a lack of access to information for the specific motherboard that may have been part of the cause of this small oversight.

While the second issue I was able to fix myself, the first issue I have yet to be able to find what I need and my attempts to reach through the motherboard's manufacturer has not been very promising. In the end, no issues with the BIOS or the system's ability to boot properly. It worked right out of the box and I am happy that I have the hardware that I wanted without the headache of trying to beat the scalper bots trying to get the hardware myself. The issues that came up I feel the greater share of buyers may not notice. And overall the positives far outweigh the negatives. I plan to recommend them if there is anyone hoping to get a gaming system that either is unaware of the current situation with GPUs and high end CPUs or they are aware and are looking for alternatives than dealing with the headaches of trying to acquisition the parts themselves fighting with scalpers and miners.

Get buying tips about Computer Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 2, 2021

Buying from iBuyPower was great. There is a reason that they have won Secret Shopper (done by LinusTechTips) two times in a row. iBuyPower is aptly named because you do buy a lot of power for a very reasonable price. I built a custom PC from them, and it is great. Given the current chip shortage and scalpers, buying a prebuilt is really the cheapest way to get a gaming PC in early 2021.

That is not to mention that iBuyPower usually has deals, which make buying a PC from them super affordable (all things considered). For example, I got a 2080 super, a Ryzen 5 5600 x, and 32 gb of RGB ram for around $1,300. Buying it new, a 2080 super would equal the total cost of my system. Obviously, the 2080 super is an older generation card, so I could've opted for a 3060 ti which has around the same performance. However, even in a normal GPU environment, my iBuyPower build would have been cheaper by a significant margin. I cannot promise that you will be able to get as good a deal as I was because the 2080 super was likely discounted because they were getting rid of stock to move to the newer generation GPUs. Nevertheless, given the current environment and the regular deals that iBuyPower holds, buying from iBuyPower is still probably going to be cheaper than building your own for most of 2021.

Because many people are working from home, you will find that build times on custom PCs as opposed to their same day ready systems are quite long. It took around 4.5-5 weeks to get my system built which is pretty long. That's not to mention that my shipment was slowed down by the winter storm that hit the middle of the US which caused a couple weeks of delay on my shipment. As a result, in total, it took around 7-8 weeks for me to get my order. I can't fault iBuyPower much because they can only handle so many orders, and they cannot control the weather. You should factor in this time as you make your buying decision.

The only qualm I had with iBuyPower was their customer service. After a few weeks, I had seen no progress on my build, which I think is pretty normal given the amount of orders they are receiving. I tried to call them multiple times, but it always said their line was busy. It seems like they don't have a "hold" system for their phones, where you can wait until the next available representative. After a few days of attempting to speak to someone, I finally did, but it is pretty mind blowing that a company like iBuyPower has this problem. For this review, I called in, and the same thing happened. Although this was pretty frustrating, my overall experience was phenomenal, and I cannot recommend iBuyPower enough.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2020

Great custom built PCs. You pick the components and hardware, their professionals build it for you. High quality build for a really decent price. The customization process was really easy and helps you stay within your budget. They make sure that all of the components and hardware you select is compatible with each other and with the tower you choose. This helps a lot in making sure you get the best possible build. They do various steps of quality checking once the build is complete to make sure that everything runs properly and it meets their high quality standards.

I'm really impressed with just how fast my build is and compared to pre-built PCs I got it for a really good price. They also sell the parts individually so if you know how to build your own PC you can do so. I opted to have them build it for me as I know nothing about building my own PC. All components and hardware are listed in their customization process so you can easily do your research on them to pick out what will work best for you.

Packaging for shipping was also really good. They packaged my build to make sure it was fully protected from any possible damage during shipping. They do offer additional protective packaging if you want to be extra safe, but their standard packaging did an excellent job protecting my build. They are dealing with some delays because of COVID, but my build was on schedule through the entire process. It even shipped to me sooner than I expected! I got it four days early! They offer both email and text message updates so you can track the progress of your build from beginning to end.

If you're in the market for a new PC, whether you are a gamer or someone who just needs a good PC without spending thousands of dollars, I highly recommend this company. All of the components/hardware they offer are comparable to, if not better than, what you would get with a pre-built PC. I was going to go with a pre-build, but a friend recommended this company and said that they were way better than some of the other companies out there offering pre-built PCs. I am confident that I made the right choice.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2020

Great Deal on a custom Gaming PC. Ordered on Black Friday, and the total PC cost was cheaper that I could buy the parts myself by quite a bit. Took 3 weeks to arrive but with how busy the site was on Black Friday I'd assume that's pretty good time. I inspected the build when it arrived, and I was impressed with the build quality and cable management. I was especially impressed with the fact that the radiator on the AIO was installed tubes side down. Most builds I've seen on the internet and even most AIO instructions that I've seen show the tubes on the top.

Watching Gamers Nexus and Linus Tech Tips on YouTube they've mentioned that this is the preferred way because if there happens to be any bubbles of air in the system it will stay at the top of the radiator and won't ever get into the flow of the liquid cooling cycle. Little things like this tell me that the person building my PC really knew what they were doing, or at least were trained by someone who really understands the parts. It's little things like this that give a really good impression.

The only negative point that I have so far is that upon starting the system, Windows was not activated. Further the Windows Product Key is attached to the BIOS so I do not have a written form of it in my documentation. The Key in the system was a generic one that they use for all builds. iBuyPower's Customer Service and Tech Support is only M-F and I received my system on a Saturday. I was stuck resolving this myself. Lucky for me, I just happen to be an IT professional so a quick search led me to a Microsoft forum page for someone experiencing the same issue. A quick command prompt entry later and I had my product key and I was able to activate Windows.

This is something that either there should be documentation on how to perform or at the very least the product key should be properly placed into Windows by the build technician. I can imagine someone buying a PC for their kid but not being overly tech savvy themselves and being frustrated to have a problem that they have to wait two days for customer service to be available to fix on their brand new out of the box expensive PC. That said, while it was annoying, it was extremely minor and would not have stopped the system from performing during that time just would have been a minor annoyance so I still give five stars if only because the site won't let me give 4.9. I have otherwise been extremely impressed with everything about this PC. Overall, Fantastic Job iBuyPower!!!!

Original review: Sept. 14, 2021

Me and my husband both own an iBUYPOWER desktop. If used CORRECTLY you will find that they are made well and can withstand a lot of gaming requirements. The only problem I have had is when we purchased my husband's desktop we got a mouse that does not work in the pack we purchased. Small problem that is easy to fix.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2021

Great customer service and fast delivery! If you are looking for a fast reliable computer this is the way to go. The prices are good and it eliminates all the hassle or unknowns of having to build yourself or buying from major company.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2021

I have been looking for a year trying to find parts to build a gaming PC and the lack of parts or lack of decent pricing has made it difficult. I started looking into prebuilt computers since there is so many companies that have a decent selection and actually have parts the task was tedious at best selecting what company was best for me and my budget. I kept coming back to iBUYPOWER and given the options (many) they had available and the ONLY company that did proper pairing of parts and best price to performance it was a no brainer. The shipping came in 3 days and was packaged well and no damage. Everything was already installed and correctly installed and up to date which is nice to see for a change.

All in all waited to see after a couple of weeks with some stress testing to see if the system stood up and so far it has performed flawless due to the fact that this is the only company that actually uses quality parts and does not skimp out on the cheaper end, also they put in detail what parts and specs they use in the computer unlike the other companies that are vague at best about what is in it as far as brand and specs. They just give you a ball park and on further review seems they side on the low end part high end price. So if you're in the market for a PC, Gaming PC (custom, prebuilt) I highly recommend starting here since you will most likely be back at the finish.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2021

I got a computer for my husband and after using it for quite some time we can honestly say we are extremely happy with it. The computer that we got was a custom build, and the end result was both beautiful to look at as well as efficient for hardcore gaming. If we could change anything, it would be the case, as my lack of knowledge when choosing the case did lead to some venting issues; which we simply solved by removing the glass panel (not a big deal for us). All in all, would definitely recommend.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2021

I bought a heavily customized prebuilt system from iBuyPower earlier this year. The amount of customization options was staggering and it was the perfect fit for someone like me that wanted to build my own PC but didn't want to deal with the GPU shortage happening throughout this year. The process was super easy and user friendly.

Unfortunately, a week after the system arrived, my GPU died. I tried all sorts of troubleshooting on my own, but in the end decided that the card itself had to be defective. I reached out to iBuyPower customer service and they offered to RMA the graphics card for me. I sent them back the defective one, and they sent me a new one a few weeks later and I haven't had any issues since. Very happy with the service I received and with the PC as well.

iBUYPOWER author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

iBUYPOWER was founded in 1999 to offer custom PCs that are focused on power and cutting edge technology to keep up with the demands of the growing gaming market. Located in City of Industry, Calif., iBuyPower is now one of the leading manufacturers and retailers of gaming PCs for consumers in the United States.

• Easy Builder: iBUYPOWER's Easy Builder walks consumers through the steps of finding the right computer rig for their gaming needs. Based on consumers’ gaming habits, iBuyPower makes suggestions for the right system.

• Custom liquid cooling: Gaming PCs require a lot of power, and without proper cooling and ventilation systems, they can overheat quickly. iBUYPOWER’s liquid cooling systems can keep a custom PC running at peak performance.

• Refurbished: iBUYPOWER offers a selection of refurbished computer systems at discount prices. Each system is guaranteed and comes with a 14-day return policy along with a 90-day warranty for laptops and a six-month warranty for desktops.

• Weekly specials: iBUYPOWER holds weekly rotating sales on desktop PCs, laptops and other computer equipment and hardware. Products are subject to availability.

• Laptop lines: In addition to its line of Battalion gaming laptops, iBuyPower sells ASUS and MSI gaming laptops. Screen sizes range from 14-18.4 inches.

iBUYPOWER Company Information