HP Printers

Printer/Copier/Scanner/Fax

Compare Printers

Research top Printers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I went to this site to complain, only finding out I logged in a few years ago to complain, for HP PRINTERS!!! We got this from Costco. It worked for about less than a year, then ink is all scattered. I put it through clean, then mega clean about 8 times already. The ink levels are still 70%+. I wiped the cartridges with alcohol, and did it again. EIGHT MORE TIMES!!! This is an ultimate scam, in 2017, humanity can't make a decent ink jet printer??? HP, I spent 4 hours trying to get a clean print, at my rate of wages, I could've bought two of your printers. HP, please stop making printers.

I bought new hp computer - it wasn't compatible with old HP printer so bought new hard drive for old computer to use old operating software to run my printer because I had $100 worth of refilled ink cartridges. Yesterday while printing, ran out of ink and installed new refilled ink cartridge. Printer wouldn't print, said I had to use "official hp cartridge only." Apparently a HP update that installed made me unable to use third party ink any longer! When I called company they said they'd have a printer tech call me to fix it so I could use my printer.

I asked for number he'd be calling me from because I want to ID number before answering. Number wasn't the same but I answered anyway. This tech said my computer had been infected thru my IP and he had to fix all of my computer files otherwise he couldn't fix my printer! HP thinks we are all STUPID! When I told him only want printer fixed to use 3rd party ink he then finally said he could not do that! Again tried to get me to let him into my computer! THIS IS SUCH FRAUD BY HP! I WILL NEVER, EVER BUY AN HP PRODUCT AGAIN! WHAT GREED!

HP7640 - After about a year printer has lots of problems. I HARDLY USE IT BUT it goes into wonderland and has to be shut down. Seems to need ink very often. If you're part way through a long print job and it needs more ink, it won't let you resume where you were. It has to start over again and use up the new ink. If you cancel it goes into wonderland and has to be unplugged. Corruption!

I used Chat to guide me in installing Printer driver; spoke to two different agents as I was installing on two different laptops. In each case, I got an error message, and in each case the agent said that the problem was in my computer and that their second-level technician could fix it for $200. I declined, and plowed ahead anyway, and found that both drivers were installed and functioning properly. I will never buy an HP product again.

HP printers have a shelf life and they are not worth buying anymore and I will tell you why. HP is a smart company and they know what they are building and selling and recycling. I purchased a HP PHOTO SMART 6520, worked well out the starting gate the first year, well the second year I noticed, it was a second generation ink with no difference with the package. You will not know this until you opened the ink and put in the printer and you can't use it, and you can't return it to the store. Wow!

Now you stuck to throw it away and buy more INK. Now the print issue is the paper is streaked, so now you align the printer, and clean the ink jets, over and over again wasting more INK. Now you have to buy more INK and start the process again... RIP OFF / SCAM... Whatever you choose to call it. Why all this to print? Another situation. My daughter bought a printer with warranty, GUESS WHAT don't cover INK issue. Her printer will print but won't print black ink. You can't repair these printers. The company says so. Wow! RIP OFF/SCAM.

HP printers can't be repaired, and my current printer have to retire to the TRASH. But I refuse to mess with HP again. HP have a lot of issues going on, and I don't want my money tied up in it. You want to research your printer purchase, But do stay FAR from HP. HP are not too expensive, ink is expensive, but underlying problems in the long run that you can do without. Don't consider warranty. You won't last too long to use it and if so it probably won't cover what's wrong. So Good luck to people that want to Buy HP and long time HP'RS. I have been a HP'R and no longer a FAN.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hewlett Packard?

HP Officejet. If a printer is out of warranty that was purchased from HP, the suggestion from HP support is to have it sent in to be repaired by a certified technician. If a printer is within the warranty period that was purchased from HP, and it malfunctions, then the suggestion from HP support is to have the consumer self install the parts that they send to you. How convenient for HP to pick and choose what option saves them the most money. POOR WARRANTY SERVICE. From what I've experienced, HP cares nothing about taking care of the customer and won't even acknowledge that their product, at times, can be faulty. HP does not stand behind the customer that purchases their product. Buyer Beware.

I am a professional: I am not a computer expert. 10 years ago I purchased an HP Office Jet 8600 and I loved it. The screen went out of it recently, so I went back to HP to purchase another printer like the 8600. I purchased an HP Office Jet 8740. I bought it from a Staples store: they were great. They had it delivered to my home since they didn't have it in stock.

I went to set it up and had problems so I called the 888-540-0720 number listed online with the instructions for help in setting the printer up. The first person I got, Shane, told me that my computer (Mac Pro) was too old so I'd need to purchase a new one. But then he told me that he would call me back himself to help me set it up. He wanted my name and phone number. I thought that was odd, but I gave it to him.

I went out and purchased a new Mac Pro and then again called the Help Support number. This time I got a Ken (sounded a lot like Shane). He told me he had to shadow me on my computer to see what was wrong. He then told me that I had a problem with my wifi and new computer that would require him to "wipe out" and put new drivers in. This would cost me, though. He never gave me a dollar amount. He wanted my name, email and phone number. I told him I wanted to get a second opinion first. I called the wifi company because he told me that I had 28 other people on my wifi (I live out in the country). They denied any problem with my wifi that they could see.

I then called the 888 number again: this time I got Eddie. He checked the "log" and told me I would never be able to get this printer hooked up to my computer because it was "infected" with my bad wifi. He wanted me to let him shadow me and again "wipe out" the bad stuff and redirect my drivers. He said it would cost money, but he wouldn't know how much until he got in there and started it. I declined.

I then called a local computer man and he just made a visit to my home and installed this printer for 50 dollars. He told me this had to be a sham: he found no problems with my wifi, my new computer, or the printer. So far, my printer is doing great. I just wanted to report that I think I got shammed. I will never call the HP support desk again. This is very sad since I had a good experience before with my previous HP printer. I'm worried now about my identity: they do have my name, phone number, and email. Please feel free to call me if you need any further information.

I was unable to connect my laptop to my HP network printer. In fact, even plugging in the USB cable from my laptop didn't work. My Officejet Pro 8610 wouldn't print anything except documents from my phone via the e-print. I finally bit the bullet in January and called HP service. It took a technician more than 2 hours to get the printer to connect to my wireless network. Here we are two months later and I changed ISP's from TW to Google Fiber and the connection problem has re-appeared. The technician I worked with in January assured me that he was extending coverage for this issue since it was a problem with their driver being able to communicate correctly with my computer/network.

Today I called HP Customer Support and they REFUSED to provide service unless I paid. COME ON HP... stand behind your products, especially when you have KNOWN ISSUES. No more HP printers for me. This is the third one I have owned and all had issues. Luckily, printers are cheap... Better to throw mine away and buy a different brand than to pay for HP service now. And again the next time I make any changes... And then again... etc, etc.

I had a Office Jet Pro 6830 printer for 6 months and it failed. HP said they would replace the printer. Well, the second printer has now also failed 2 months later! I had some important documents that I needed to print today, so now it's off to a copy shop... Hewlett Packard no longer makes decent printers as far as I am concerned. I'm gonna throw this one in the recycle bin and go buy a different brand. Shame on you Hewlett Packard...

Consumer Increased Rating!

March 7, 2017 my HP Envy 7640 printer was not printing. I called customer service, who happened to be Broadway Network. A man with a heavy Indian accent and an American name "David" assisted. He remotely accessed my computer and identified it was a bug on my driver and noted that my printer is printing well. He transferred even to a 2nd tech, who began to clean and delete files. Suddenly, my printer displayed an error message "Cartridge cannot print, enroll in instant ink." After several attempts calling and finally connecting, the 5th tech tried and just hung up. When I called back, I was told they had a fire drill and they will call me back. That was three days ago. HP is forcing me to enroll in a program I have no interest. I need my printer to print my plane tickets, my son's homework, etc., and still HP has not resolved what they ruined.

Well HP 5663 printer, 90 days old as of March 1, 2017, well had worked ok till today, and started jumping pages on the scanner and copying, not copying full pages just about 50% of pages. Anyway called HP customer service and went through all the tests of cleaning, etc, and also on maintenance settings it showed return for being defective and so I told it to customer service and he said I needed just black ink, but I got multiple pages that show messed up in black and tricolor. Anyway waiting for supervisors to call back, and still not received any calls, so I see where it goes from here, only had 34 pages scanned, and he saying bad ink, but machine said defective on maintenance settings. Should be returned, it's a defective product.

Hewlett and Packard must be turning in their grave. I bought and registered this HP 5740 printer in September 2016 yet for some reason HP seems to think it is registered since Dec 2015 and I cannot get anyone to fix it let alone contact me. I can't keep count of how many emails, calls, and resending proof of purchase with an email saying I will get a confirmation within 24 hours. Worse, the printer keeps failing! I don't like throwing money away like this. Very disappointed in HP. The old 3100 I had for 14+ years worked just fine. I already donated it to a local charity.

Support Call Center was completely inept. I have purchased the OfficeJet 8720 which is an all-in-one printer. Overall I am happy with how it prints etc. I went to use the Scan to Email feature and needed to set up the Emails online. With somewhat sketchy instructions it took me about 45 minutes to navigate through their scant instructions and entered the emails I wanted to use in our household. Went back to scan and it did not recognize any emails that had been entered. Turned it on and off to reboot. Nothing. Went to the HP website again to see if it had correctly saved the emails. It did.

Now... tried to contact HP Support. Entered all the personal data. Entered Serial Number. Then it asked for Product code (should be under the Serial number as shown on the example). Nope. Nothing on the back resembled anything like the Product code they were asking for. Thankfully, I was able to bypass the product code info. Once through, they were not open. :( Tried again this morning. Received a telephone # 1-888-747-7948.

Was asked early on if I was on a Mac Computer - Yes, transferred appropriately. After transferring me to the laptop division, they transferred me to the printer division, then transferred me to the Windows division, then transferred me to the printer division and then subsequently DROPPED THE CALL! 45 minutes of waiting and repeating the issue and being transferred was unacceptable. Likely my problem would be fixed in 10 minutes with some help and now will need to set aside another hour to deal with the HP NON-Support people again. We are actually also looking into purchasing a HP laptop for our business and will stay far away if their Support Division is so ridiculous.

Purchased an HP PhotoSmart 6510 All-in-One a few years ago. Always thought HP was a good brand for some reason. One selling point was the quality of the photos which was indeed great - for a while. Then like many others who have commented on other HP Printers, disaster struck. Changed cartridges, couldn't get printer to stop printing in red, cleaned print heads multiple times wasting many cartridges. Searched internet over and over again for a solution. Just cleaned print heads again and changed 3 out of 4 cartridges hoping by dumb luck, it would print perfect again. Got the same errors as other commenters mentioned; i.e.: not using a genuine cartridge, not installed correctly, etc. Loaded first 2 cartridges fine, then on 3rd one which was yellow message came up with the symbol of the "pink" color saying it wasn't properly installed - which it was when I installed it a few seconds ago, aaagghh!

I'm done playing with this printer; still prints in red, now mixed with some black on 1st page, 2nd page is red, next page fades out, etc. We're not hard on a printer, we don't use it every day but still need, and expect the printer to be reliable. When we need something printed it should always print a clean copy. This printer, unfortunately appears to be totally unreliable and since there's no cure for its illness, it's going to be replaced. Like others, will never buy an HP Printer again.

Someone commented previously about a class action suit, something to think about since this has been going on for years with HP who has done nothing to address the many concerns. Meanwhile, the consumer keeps trying to believe in this company and gets caught up in the vicious cycle of constantly cleaning printheads sucking up all the ink, leading to buying more cartridges or perhaps buying a different HP model, while this company, in the meantime, is making jerks out of all of us and laughing all the way to the bank. Too many consumers with the same problems on different HP Models for me to stay with this company. It's a crying shame, not everyone can afford to keep going out to buy a new printer nor should we have to be forced to do it because a company blatantly refuses to address the problems.

This thing has been nothing but trouble since I purchased it. First thing it had a recall, ok wasn't worried by that, it happens. They sent a new one, great. Then it goes downhill. Every time I need to print or copy something I have to get hold of support. Have to say support staff is always professional and helpful. But it takes two hours to troubleshoot the issue and I use a lot of ink printing test pages. I don't have two hours every time I need a page copied or something printed. This thing goes through ink fast too. And yes I'm using the recommended HP brand. I'd give it negative stars if possible.

I have an electronic ink with HP for HP Envy 5530. But these days ink seems to finish quickly than my normal usage and start getting emails notifying me bills are coming. I have a feeling that once they have me they are taking advantage and billing excessively. I like HP products and used HP products for a long time. I think it is time to look for another brand. HP is ripping off people on this electronic ink scheme.

You cannot use instant ink cartridges in a printer not enrolled in instant ink. Quite a scam. We have way too many cartridges in our house because 1 printer is enrolled in instant ink and they come way too often so when I tried to use the ink in another printer it would not work unless I enrolled. Just another way to throw your money out the window.

NEVER BUY AN HP PRODUCT!!! I was warned by so many people to stay away from HP and now I'm learning my lesson. I bought an Hp Photosmart 7520 All in One Printer awhile back and well... Besides the fact that you print 3 pieces of paper then have to replace the ink cartridges, the stupid thing never stays connected to my computer. I have spent the last hour and a half trying to get it to connect. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the program 3 times. I went onto the "online setup" which doesn't work! It just asks you what printer you have and when you click ok it just sends you back to the same screen! I have run every single "fix" I could find online and still nothing. Unless you hardline it directly to your computer you're just ** out of luck. Please take my advice! STAY AWAY FROM HP! You won't regret it!

How much ink is inside cartridge? Now they offer over 2x amount, in same size nontransparent cartridge. Two times how much. All these years we were purchasing less than half full cartridges. Are the 2x plus totally full? We have no way of knowing. They have a monopoly and could be selling cartridges only 25% full of ink. I think the amount should be printed and regulated. The products should be spot checked occasionally for compliance. We should be informed of how much ink we are getting.

I bought this malfunctioning HP OfficeJet 6835 at Costco in 2016 and did not use much because I have another one. I suddenly got error message about the printer head, so I contacted Hp customer service through chatting. According to Ginny from the customer service, HP was going to replace it with the refurbished one that is 6830, so I checked the customer review about that product and the review was as bad as 6835.

I asked her to send the new one because I did not want to get another junk product, and without my consent, she said she would create the order for replacement to the refurbished one. According to Hp, this product has warranty until Dec. 2017. I am going to contact Costco and complain why they carry such a bad product. I regret I was lured by Costco's additional discount offer for HP printer at that time. This was not the first time I was so disappointed about HP printers. I hated their products and their customer service. I will never buy HP products again.

I have owned 2 HP printers and refuse to purchase any HP products again. The first printer I had purchased around 2005. I believe the first printer was a 5150 all-in-one. I was overall satisfied with this model. This model allowed you to use non-HP ink. Then about 2 years ago I purchased another one when the first one quit working. So a good 10 yrs of use.

This new printer is an INK hog... model 7525. The price of the printer was quite reasonable. But what I have realized is they make up for the low cost by forcing you to purchase their expensive ink. The ink runs out extremely fast and is very expensive. Buying the necessary ink 2 times cost as much as the printer itself. Furthermore, the printer is designed only to use their ink. If you trying it use other brands of less expensive ink the programming deters you every step of the way. I have purchased so-called compatible ink on 2 occasions and it doesn't work in the machine. And lastly, this is a 4-in-1 and when the ink is out you are unable to use any options such as faxing and scanning which do not require ink. This is a further attempt to make you go purchase their expensive ink.

Conclusion, HP printers are not a good value for your hard-earned money. It seems the first HP printer I had was built for the consumer's long-term use. Seems HP has realized they could make much more money with selling printers at low cost and while making the bulk of their profits off the high-priced ink they force their customers to use. Corporate greed is bad.

Purchased HP 6830 printer on May 2, 2016 - use is for home business. Used every day for copying, printing, sending/receiving faxes. In December 2016, start having "printhead" issues - one day no color ink is printing. Run the required cleaning (a couple of times) and it works, for a day or two! Then the black ink doesn't print. Run the required cleaning (a couple of times) again, and it works for a day or two. Come home on a Friday night, check incoming fax (work) that cannot be read because the black ink wasn't working (this was all within a one week time frame, and $72.00 worth of all new ink, black and three colors).

I went through all that ink in one week because of having to run cleanings constantly, but still not knowing if it was going to work the next time. Had to go to Staples to replace immediately because of work. Purchased a Brother Printer (fingers crossed) - I called HP to ask about the one year warranty, and was told they could troubleshoot my problem and send me replacement parts - I already had to buy a new printer, I already wasted $72.00 in one week on ink. I'm not doing it again, EVER. I will never buy another HP product again. Learned my lesson - Wish I could share this review everywhere so people could be warned to save their money!

HP Photosmart C4790 Printer - I've had this printer for several years and I find it unbelievably difficult to install ink cartridges. Customer Support is zero help. Save yourself grief and purchase from another company that makes product customer-friendly.

HP Officejet Pro 6830 collapsed while still under warranty, and was replaced by HP with a refurbished unit but only after much foot stomping. I was given free ink as "hush money". Are you serious? I missed a work deadline messing around with the thing, between watching tutorials, downloading drivers, and rushing out to buy new printer cables. I don't want a bunch of toxic ink for a printer that I no longer want. Now the replacement printer works sometimes and not other times. I'm through with troubleshooting and tech blogs. I won't have peace until this doorstop is completely out of my life.

I purchased a Hewlett-Packard 7640 a little over a year ago. The setup was far from 1 2 3 as they stated. I was on the phone with a couple of reps some of which were useless for almost 2 hours. Finally got it to work, until now. I needed a new phone. I called customer service. They want $99 for someone to help me set it backup, and the printer was only $65 if I get a new one. I can have free help. What the heck?

I have had two HP printers that lasted 2 years or less where the black ink stopped printing. I spoke to customer support and they recommended to replace the printer which cost $150 or more. Do the math, that's $75 per year. I would not recommend HP printers to anyone other than enemies.

I bought this printer at Sam's Club and extended warranty. 2015, hardly used it, packed away to move. I got it out, start getting code, printer head problem. This is not the cartridge of colors that has problems. I called warranty, thank God I got extended one, because HP would do nothing. Appears they knew of printer head problems. Now, warranty place will send me money. BUT, I don't really want an HP printer again, I have all this ink I bought and opened. So buy extended warranty with a HP.... YOU WILL NEED IT.

I am writing to let you know I had a bad experience shopping online www.walmart.com because as a shopper I experienced bad customer service and bad and faulty products. The product I am referring to is my HP Officejet 4630eAll-In-One Wireless Printer, I need to get my printer replaced due to the fact the printer does not work at all and the drivers of the printer are old and not updated, the carriage of the printer is not working and the cartridges that came with the printer do not work. My printer cost $78.00 plus the care pack for $7.00 for warranty issues, for replacement issues, for repairing a printer which is not being done by HP which manufactures my printer. Also, I telephoned Angel at SDG Distributor and told him I need a shipping label to send my old printer back where my old printer belongs the number at the SDG Distributor is **. My PO number for my printer is **.

I also sent emails to ACE Electronix for three weeks straight without a response. Also I telephoned www.walmart.com and spoke to the customer service and they told me that I would get my problem escalated due to the ongoing issues involving a bad printer and used printer that needed to be replaced with a brand new printer. Also the customer service person told me today that I could not take my receipt to Walmart to get my brand new printer, even though I have been calling there for the last three weeks and going back and forth to Walmart trying to get my old printer replaced with a brand new printer.

I would appreciate it if you could help me to get this problem resolved. It is not right to get bad products, bad service, a bad printer with carriage, old and dirty printer with cartridges that do not work. The phone number to www.walmart.com is 1-800-925-6278. I would appreciate if you work as a liaison to help me get my new printer and send my old printer back to the warehouse in Atlanta. I should not have to drive or even take a plane all the way down there just to get a brand new printer. The address to SDG Distributor is Walmart PO Box 530927 Atlanta GA 30353-0927.

I purchased an HP 7520 Photosmart printer a few years ago and had $200 worth of 564 XL ink cartridges (eleven in total) when my print head became defective. I called HP attempting to find a printer that would use the cartridges but was advised that production was discontinued and that a replacement print head was not available. I attempted to return the extra ink and found that HP Returns would only allow two cartridges since they had been purchased within thirty days. I didn't think it fair but attempted to arrange to return the two.

After about 30 minutes talking with an agent I was afforded the opportunity to print out a FedEx return form but was unable to do so. The agent said she would arrange for FedEx to come by with the label and pick up my package but would need manager approval. After a substantial wait the manager came on the phone and knew nothing at all about the situation so we started over. After giving him the same customer information again I pointed out that the prior agent offered me the opportunity for FedEx to come by my home with the label.

At this point the manager said I would have to click on some link somewhere to perform the activity. I spent over an hour of my time attempting to recoup $40 of $200 investment. I did not appreciate the dismal, inept, and apathetic responses from HP... and will not buy HP products, which are usually good, from a company whose customer service is so bad. And I will relate my experience to as many folks as possible.

Have had the 7520 less than 2 years and don't do all that much printing. Suddenly, when I attempt to copy from the flat bed I get an error message saying no preview available when using the automated document feeder even though I'm not using the ADF. When I try to use the ADF I get a mis-feed message although there is no mis-feed. Went to HP and tried all the "fixes" but none work. Apparently this not an isolated problem since it has been reported by others. Bottom line is it's too costly to have the printer serviced so if I want to copy anything I'll need to buy another printer. Clearly there is something wrong with the ADF mechanisms but HP doesn't care. Reminds me of the planned obsolescence of the American automakers that resulted in cars rusting out faster. My first choice for printers has always been HP, but that ends now.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

HP Printers are created by Hewlett-Packard, a large technology company founded in 1929 and headquartered in Palo Alto. The company manufactures and sells a wide range of printers in addition to laptops, desktops, tablets and more.

• Ink types: HP Printers come in a wide variety of ink choices, including laser printers, ink jets and more. This means the company is a good choice for people who are looking for a printer that uses nearly any type of ink.
  • Community-focused: HP is focused on doing good in the world, and they are committed to environmental initiatives that can help strengthen the environment and improve the earth's future.
  • Varying capacity printers available: The company has created a wide range of printers, from those that can handle a very high capacity, to small individual job printers. This makes it a good choice for anyone from large businesses to individual PC owners.
  • Reputation: HP is one of the oldest technology companies that still creates and sells products, and their years of success have proven that they are a forward-thinking company that makes high-quality and well-regarded products.
  • Accessories: The company sells a wide variety of accessories that can accompany printers and computers, so it is a convenient one-stop shop for those in the market for a printer.
  • Best for Large offices, homeowners with computers, photographers, students and schools.

Compare Printers