3.63/5

Printer/Copier/Scanner/Fax

890 HP Printers Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

I had bought an HP DeskJet Ink Advantage Printer 3636 in January, 2017. Within a year the printer started to malfunction. Such a poor quality of product, is not expected from a big brand. Even now, when I called up the support for a Care Pack, they took the payment but are not responding to my repeated requests. Support too is really terrible. I would advise everyone to not buy any HP Product.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

I bought HP devices (Pagewide 377dw & 452dw) for my business. When replacing the 4 toner cartridges (972A), I discovered HP has dynamic security BLOCKS you from using non-HP OEM cartridges. HP sells cartridges that cost 2 times other 3rd party compatible providers. Talk about trying to block free markets and rip-off consumers and small businesses! I would strongly recommend you look at Brother, Xerox or other companies providing business printing/copying/scanning solutions.

Get expert buying tips about Printers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

A 2014 buy via TV shopping. Wanted HP reliability & TV bargain but problems with it ever since. Big mistake. Neither HP or the TV show were reliable—no more buys from either. Big and bulky, & unreliable. Poor customer service; more like Customer marketing. Lots of paper jams; especially with duplex printing. Often feeds multiple sheets of paper at once too. VERY expensive ink. Designed to push auto-buy & reject refilled ink cartridges; forcing EOM pricing. Built-in obsolescence; always pushing a newer model. HP Pop-ups on monitor that I can’t get rid of.

Limited/poor instructions make connections difficult for this “dummy” who had to troubleshooting several times a month. "Instant Ink" program made things worse... The printer only works while internet is working and printer is powered on. They "hijacked" my printer and pocketbook; sending ink when I didn’t need it. Sent disable messages to printer thru internet and then tried to sell other HP products whenever I complained about having troubles. Subscriptions canceled before ink cartridges are depleted force immediate ink purchase. Was told the program only works with regular usage—not for me because my use is too variable (some months little usage, some heavy).

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

I should have know better after the terrible experience I had with the notebooks but I purchased the all in one scanner/printer HP Officejet 4630. The scanner won't stay connected and I have to uninstall and reinstall it almost daily. And although the print is decent, the ink cartridge is expensive and prints few than 50 black and white typed pages before the 'ink low' messages start appearing. My old Lexus printed an entire book manuscript without that happening for half the cost. They run out the warranty pretending to care and then ignore me.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

I bought an HP OfficeJet Pro X476dw MFP. After less than a year and half of VERY light usage (say under 20 prints per month). I get the message 'missing or failed printhead' about a month after I'd spent over $500.00 on new ink. More than I paid for the printer itself of course. I am pretty handy with this stuff. So I go about cleaning the printhead. Looking up a bunch of YouTube videos when that doesn't work. As a LAST resort I broke down and phoned HP Support. Since I knew how crappy and frustrating that experience would be.

HP stayed true to my expectations. Incredibly long waits and getting passed like a hot potato from one area to another each after more long waits. Finally I get through to a person who walks me through diagnostics and asks me to read the error code. When I read it back she admits it's a known HP flaw and there is NOTHING that can be done to fix it that isn't far more expensive than new printer. Since I don't have extended warranty... Too bad so sad. If I had used the printer more I probably would have broken down under warranty.

I'm offered a mild discount off MSRP that is FAR more expensive than the sale price at Staples or Best Buy on any given week. I'm out over $800.00 on this printer including printer and ink and they refuse to help at all. Losing my business alone for the rest of my life will cost them a lot more than $800.00. My bad opinion of HP to my colleagues, family, and friends will cost HP several thousand dollars in lost revenue. A shortsighted company, that refuses to do the right thing and make amends for their own poor product... Even when it's financially in their own best interests.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hewlett Packard?

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

The printer has only 21K prints (in two years) and started having issues with printing on the right side. HP says the head is good for at least 50K prints. Two different technicians looked at it and said it wasn't fixable. (parts cost more than a new printer). But then I called HP and the printer support technician is helping me "clean" the print head using the hidden menu special codes to clean it. So far I have performed the following sets of special cleaning maintenance codes (21, 23 and 22) multiple times and each time a little more of the print head comes back. There needs to be an easier way to do this... If it saves the printer though I will be happy. And there needs to be information about how often to do it and a way to program it to do this once a month, once a week, or once a day as needed to keep the printer working. It could do it automatically at midnight.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

I had a HP Photosmart before & Loved it. But it eventually would no longer feed paper so I purchased a HP ENVY ALL-IN ONE PRINTER. Took a little while to set up & get used to... But after a few times, I now have to continually reload the software to get the thing to work. Before that, there was no way to change the size of the paper you wanted to print on. Would not change from plain to photo paper until I reloaded the software... and now it seems to require this every time. Have yet to make a photocopy by just laying it on the screen... has to be scanned to card first & then printed. It is not used every day, maybe only 1-2 times per week but this is so annoying especially if you just need to print 1 page. Just takes too much time.

Original review: July 29, 2018

Don't bother with this printer (HP DeskJet 2540). It only prints every other line even after I tried every troubleshooting option online including cleaning the cartridge heads and contacts, uninstalling and re-installing with the most recent version, everything HP Print and Scan Doctor suggested, deleting the driver from the printer Server Properties, then deleting the printer from the Device and Printers, and then re-adding it again, and nothing worked.

Original review: July 24, 2018

I enrolled and ordered the 50 page $2.99 a month HP ink subscription on July 17, 2018, with a 3-6 day shipping. It's getting to me by FedEx on July 30, 2018!! That's not 3-6 days. That's a complete lie! That's 13 days. So I'm making a complaint with HP and BBB and wherever else I can.

Original review: July 9, 2018

I will never buy an HP printer again and I strongly suggest no one else buy one either. I feel like I have been SCAMMED by them. I only use my printer for black and white shipping labels but it has been using my color ink cartridges for black ink... And there is "no way" to fix that according to their overseas support team. HP you have lost a long time customer and I won't return due to your immoral business practices. Buying expensive ink is a SCAM and you know it. I'm going to tell all of my business associates to change their printers too, even if I have to buy them new ones. DON'T BUY AN HP PRINTER!!!

Original review: July 8, 2018

Recently purchased the HP Laserjet Pro MFP M26nw printer and have never been able to use it despite support. I have never experienced problems with a computer or printer as much as this printer. Support is useless. This printer would better serve as a boat anchor. It definitely soured my taste for any HP product in the future.

Original review: June 23, 2018

Have several HP ink jet printers, no laser printers. Usually they are very reliable. But when things start to go bad, problems seem to cascade.

Original review: June 23, 2018

The wireless HP Printer is at times very unpredictable and unreliable, Sometimes it takes a few days to print a coupon. Other times it works great. It doesn't seem to respond to the router, and even after calling customer service, they can't figure it out either. I've watched numerous videos on their website, but it still works sporadically. Plus, The Ink is expensive.

Original review: June 23, 2018

I have had this printer for about 3 years and have had no problems with it so far. I have even purchased another PC and was able to easily transfer the capability over to the new PC.

Original review: June 23, 2018

After trying lower priced machines, I bought HP’s Officejet Pro 8600. Print, photos & copies all perfect. It has been super reliable.

Original review: June 22, 2018

Does anyone else absolutely detest HP Printers? Absolutely the worst product experiences of all electronics I have bought. This printer which I just bought to replace another failed deskjet had to be replaced the minute I bought it... it missed half the lines on every printed page. The replacement is just as bad. Getting the paper loaded is a nightmare... it tries to suck down all the loaded pages and just will not correct itself no matter what I try to do. This is it for me... the very last product from HP I will ever buy. This company deserves to go out of business... soon!

Original review: June 22, 2018

HP OfficeJet Pro 6968 works fine. I can scan, copy documents and print wirelessly. Only issue, it can be noisy. Paper tray needs to be redesigned, to make it easier to remove. Lastly, seems to use up a lot of ink cartridges.

Original review: June 22, 2018

It's a printer much like the rest. It works well until you need it badly, and then it's out of ink. It works better than others I've owned but is also more expensive.

Original review: June 22, 2018

I have an HP all-in-one printer/scanner/copier which I've owned & used often since 2006 without any issues or problems to date. It is easy to use & very dependable. If anything ever happens to it I would want the same exact model.

Original review: June 22, 2018

For the price, I am not sure that I can find a printer with equal quality with the HP printer. There's ease of set-up, print and picture quality, both side printing, faxing and copying. The only thing I would change is size of the machine. It is largely odd.

Original review: June 21, 2018

I bought an HP 6869 printer twice in Jan 2018. I could not get any of them to work right upon initial set-up. I returned them both and got a Canon PIXMA MX922 and it work great!

Original review: June 21, 2018

Our HP printers are always reliable and dependable for our business. We hardly ever had any problems with our HP printers except for paper tray part broken part.

Original review: June 21, 2018

Had a HP Deskjet 2200 that we had bought at Walmart for only $19.99 - worked for at least 10 years - now have a Deskjet 2600 that we also paid $19.99 on Black Friday & so far very pleased with it. We do not even consider any brand but HP.

Original review: June 21, 2018

I have only one other kind of printer over the years and I was not happy with it. On the other hand, I like HP printers. However, I went away for three months and when I got back nothing I did would get it to work again. I was not happy with it. I had it about three years so there was no warranty, I had to get another HP.

Original review: June 20, 2018

I love this printer but the ink is so expensive and it doesn’t print that many pages that I feel like I’m always out of ink when it counts. I cant afford $50+ for the ink all the time. What I love about this printer is that I can purchase refill ink on eBay with all four colors needed for my all in one 5220 HP printer for under $10!!! Works perfect. Just when it prints because they aren’t original inks my phone will give me a notification that the ink is low... it’s not. You just got to hit the “dismiss” button and it prints perfectly. Can’t beat it. There’s absolutely nothing else I don’t like about this printer!!!

Original review: June 20, 2018

Recently had issues at work with HP printer, technician had no idea what was wrong with it and ended up changing parts (and charging company) that didn't need to be changed.

Original review: June 20, 2018

I have a HP DeskJet printer. HP is reliable and they are easy to use so I like this brand. They last a long time and it's easy to change the ink cartridges. I would recommend it to anyone.

Original review: June 20, 2018

The HP printer is the only brand I have ever bought. It is very dependable but it knows when I insert ink cartridges that are not HP and it tells me that the ones I insert may not be reliable. I would recommend an HP printer to anyone who ask.

Original review: June 19, 2018

I have an all-in-one-product. It has failed several times to maintain a wireless connection so I have had to use a USB port to print and scan. Also the print quality is unacceptable unless I use the "best" option which takes very long to download. In addition, the loading tray became detached early on in my ownership through no accident or misuse.

Original review: June 19, 2018

The printer has worked reliably for over four years and online help for minor problems is pretty good. However, if you run out of any one color, the printer will not operate. Also, it guzzles ink.

Hewlett Packard expert review by ConsumerAffairs

HP Printers are created by Hewlett-Packard, a large technology company founded in 1929 and headquartered in Palo Alto. The company manufactures and sells a wide range of printers in addition to laptops, desktops, tablets and more.

• Ink types: HP Printers come in a wide variety of ink choices, including laser printers, ink jets and more. This means the company is a good choice for people who are looking for a printer that uses nearly any type of ink.

• Community-focused: HP is focused on doing good in the world, and they are committed to environmental initiatives that can help strengthen the environment and improve the earth's future.

• Varying capacity printers available: The company has created a wide range of printers, from those that can handle a very high capacity, to small individual job printers. This makes it a good choice for anyone from large businesses to individual PC owners.

• Reputation: HP is one of the oldest technology companies that still creates and sells products, and their years of success have proven that they are a forward-thinking company that makes high-quality and well-regarded products.

• Accessories: The company sells a wide variety of accessories that can accompany printers and computers, so it is a convenient one-stop shop for those in the market for a printer.

• Best for: Large offices, homeowners with computers, photographers, students and schools.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs