HP Printers

Printer/Copier/Scanner/Fax

Compare Printers

Research top Printers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

HP OfficejetPro 8610 - Can only use their cartridges from instantink.com. The machine won't let you print using any other cartridges. You can cancel using instantink.com, but still it won't let you print from your own printer. Worst company idea ever to force people to use a monthly ink program and buy only their expensive ink cartridges! Horrible way to do business!

I bought a 6830 HP Officejet Pro printer in July 2015 with one year standard warranty. The so called professional machine's printhead failed in July 2017... exactly two years after. I called customer support 8.2.17 and was told my options are 1. Go to hp.com/go/support to see if there is any troubleshooting that can help, (Really!) the screen is already showing a 0xc19a0003 "There is a problem with printhead" 2. Buy a new printer. Really! Now I would have to buy a new printer and new types of print cartridges since they don't make the 6830 anymore. What the heck am I supposed to do with all the unused cartridges!! DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY BUYING HP OFFICE JET PRO PRINTERS... unless you like donating your money to HP.

My hp printer 6700 is a complete scam. They will steal your money over and over. If you don't use it for more than a few weeks it will say cartridge is empty. I went through two complete printer sets and over $60 each in less than three months on around 10 print jobs of 1-2 pages each. Mostly text. There is clearly enough of you getting scammed as well. There's enough of us getting ripped off that if we group together we can file a class action lawsuit.

I bought this HP ENVY 7640 series all in one printer 3 mos. ago for my iMac through Amazon. It prints satisfactorily. However, the fax machine is constantly ringing with calls from HP to the printer display that ink will soon be needed. Because this is an complete assault on the senses, startling me, I must completely unplug it. I have complained via email to HP that if this is not corrected, (and I will not do it on my end) I will trash and stomp it, then buy an Epson.

HP 8715 - Just spent/wasted $46 on a black ink cartridge that "needed" replacing. Now it demands I replace the color ink cartridges ($65) when I never print in color. The color levels are fine (there's ink leaking from its nozzles) and I just want to print in black and white. That's all it does is print in black and white. The software driver is taken down from the available drivers online, so essentially it wants me to buy a new OS system (more $). I call the DCA and they literally take the company's side and don't file any complaint. Stay far away from this hell hole of a device. This company intentionally sets you up to spend more and more money every way it can. Nightmare is an understatement--this device is made in h-e-double L. The printer also requires your information for it to even work. No more privacy folks.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hewlett Packard?

I have owned a HP office jet 8610 for 1 year. I have not been able to print from my iPad or iPhone without rebooting my router. This problem occurs intermittently with my Mac Book Pro. I have seen complaints dating a year back without HP fixing the problem. The older software worked satisfactory but won't work anymore. After trying several fixes recommended by HP which didn't work. I am finished with HP. When my printer ink is used up, I am tossing the printer in the trash and buying a Epson printer. Wireless printing works with Epson printers and the ink is cheaper.

I am a teacher and the state doesn't actually provide funding for our educational system. So, I find myself interested in HP instant ink so I can make copies at home. I purchased an HP Envy 3700 series only to find it won't install... It downloads "basic software" for over an hour, then it starts back over at 0. This happened three times, then it apparently gave up and skipped to "web connection" which I had done before software installation but whatever. It claimed to be on my wifi and NOT on my wifi simultaneously. Took my debit card info without a hitch, then claimed it couldn't establish a connection. Right, but somehow I'm positive they will establish a connection with my bank and charge me for a monthly instant ink subscription despite the fact that I am returning this trash tomorrow. Please don't give this pathetic company your money, time, or energy.

I have a HP Deskjet 3520. It worked fine. Then I signed up for instant ink. I realized after having it a bit that it was too expensive and I didn't like having it. So I cancelled. I took out their cartridges like they requested and sent them back. However when I bought new cartridges that were HP ink my printer no long printed the black ink! No matter what I have done I cannot get it to print correctly. I had no problems with my printer until after the instant ink program. Somehow they have broken my printer! I thought maybe it was the cartridges so I bought more as I ran out of ink just testing it. The black cartridge always read full. Because it was not printing at all. So I tried again... nope not gonna work, no way, no how. Tried reinstalling printer cd after removing all the software hoping it might reboot. But nada! This is infuriating! So much money down the drain and this printer is only about 2 years old. I'm not buy any more HP printers! This is a big scam.

7640 series - ROYAL pain the arse. STILL not working after DAYS of attempting to install - wireless, cable, AND CD. Not good customer service number. LUDICROUS operation. Intend to purchase a different printer by ANY OTHER MANUFACTURER.

Worst printers. This will be the 3rd broken printer received. I have had to box up two broken printers within the last 10 days! Complete waste of time and they don't compensate for their default printers. You think re-boxing and shipping big printers is fun and efficient?? No compensation. Just time wasted. Never purchasing HP products again. Nikko the supervisor can is suspect. Not sure who put him in charge.

I spent 2 hours troubleshooting with an outsourced community overseas and afterward the item needed replacement. I proceeded with the process and could not continue because it required a collateral for the warranty from the factory. I refused to give my personal info overseas and they declined me from receiving my free replacement. My repair ticket was then canceled against my will and now there is no one to help me with this issue. I write this to show the issue exist. If someone hear of this please be advised.

I bought a new tricolor cartridge for my HP 3630 Deskjet printer. 6 copies in, yes you saw that right, SIX measly, pathetic, half sheet copies, the cartridge was empty!! $30 of my hard earned money, completely wasted! The ink cartridge I replaced, lasted for over 6 months, and just the day before, at the end of its life, having been used frequently, printed 14 full color pages! Over double what the brand new cartridge printed! Complete garbage! I used to be an avid fan of HP products. Bought them exclusively. I actually own 3 HP printers. But I have noticed as of late, that their product is beginning to lack, especially in the area of customer service. I am done!!!

If you're considering an HP printer, find another one. I bought one for home and work, and it only allows you to use the HP Instant Ink on the printer that is signed up for HP Instant Ink. I'm a teacher and told the customer service rep, and she told me it didn't matter. Worst customer service.

Do not buy HP's instant ink program. Paid for ink that never came. Refused to refund credit card recurring fees. Customer service is an oxymoron. Big brother is on your printer. My mistake. Don't say you weren't warned.

Don't get suckered into this monthly subscription program! If you decide to cancel, HP disables your current cartridges, even if you have not opened them. I've paid into the program for a year and a half and just now opening my first tri-color cartridge. But since I am cancelling the service, HP is disabling the brand new cartridge even though I've been paying about $4 per month for 1 months! What a rip-off!

Had problems within the warranty period. Called. Got a case number. They tried to resolve the issue and couldn't. Called back, no information related to my case. Tried again to resolve prob. Didn't work. Were going to send info to return printer to be fixed. Never received it. Tried calling again. Still no info on my case number and after 2 hrs got disconnected. Called back, no record of who I was dealing with and to my amazement no info on my case no. Tried again to be told I am out of the warranty period. Nothing could be done and yes you guessed it no info in my case file. Thanks HP for nothing but aggravation and wasting many hours of my time. Will never buy anything ever again from HP. Pathetic customer service and I bought extra warranty!!!

I'm on my 2nd HP printer (HP OfficeJet Printer). Gave them the benefit of the doubt. Same issues. Goes offline every time it's not printing. I've followed all the instructions, I've reinstalled printer drivers, etc. Same thing happened with first one. Their quality stinks. They are in the business of disposable printers. I detest this company!

Just dropped 70$ on new ink for a printer that is defective. When I called customer service after going through all the troubleshooting on their site, they told me I need to buy a new printer. They would not even refund me the 70$ I spent on the ink for the HP printer I have had for only a year. Terrible product. I will never waste my hard earned $$ on an HP product ever again - I suggest going with anything other than HP if you are in the market for a computer, printer, tablet, or TV.

I ordered a replacement charger online through HP. The charger came in incomplete with a piece missing. I spoke with a sales rep who said they would send the missing piece. Days later (after receiving no new part) I called to check on the order. The replacement order was never processed and the part was currently out of stock. I spoke with 6 different sales reps who kept transferring me elsewhere to "get rid of the problem". After all of this, I still did not receive a replacement part, and I had to return the whole product for a refund. I could not even get the part exchanged. This was a business purchase, and my boss had to pay me for 4 hours wasted on the phone with this company. The customer service was one of the most terrible business experiences I have ever encountered. I will never buy an HP again.

When I bought my latest printer I bought HP because I always "used to" buy HP for all of my desktop, laptops and printers. I joined the Instant Ink Program because my youngest son is still in school and I wanted to always have the printer ready for him. When I received my first monthly ink replacement in the mail, I realized that we had not printed very much. I decided to cancel the Instant Ink Program so that I would not continue to receive cartridges that would most likely dry up before they were used.

So I try to use my printer today and get a message that my Instant Ink Program cartridges won't work. Not only is it ridiculous that the cartridges I received while I was still a paying Instant Ink customer don't work. The cartridges still in the printer are the originals that came with the printer, and they are not even close to empty but they don't work because I'm not in the Instant Ink Program. How's that for HP giving me the middle finger! I will no longer buy HP products! What a terrible way to treat a long-time customer or any customer for that matter!

Purchased an HP LaserJet printer and an extended warranty from hp.com. Scanner stopped functioning correctly. Tech department determined it could not repaired after I turned it off, disconnected it from the network, reloaded driver and software, unplugged and blew on the plug... you get it. The replacement did not use the same cartridges I purchased. HP representative said they would send the link to return the cartridges for replacement. No link. Now they have no record of my purchase. Funny, always thought HP had a database since they send promotional information. My recommendation, purchase from a reputable retailer who has knowledge regarding the best manufacturer. Oh, and I purchased the extended warranty due to the fact that initially I had to return the tower twice for replacement. Neither tower would work with dual monitors-upgrade was required.

The last 2 HP printers I've purchased haven't been worth a flip. The last one I had (An 8600 I believe) broke down after only 6 or 7 months. I called HP and they said they would replace it. It was replaced and it broke down in less than a year. I replaced it with an HP8710 and from day one it would feed through multiple pages at a time and jam the machine up. I've tried every kind of paper known to man and it all does the same. The fact that you can't print B&W if one of the color cartridges is empty is a scam too. You should be able to set your printer to print only B&W and not have any color cartridges, but it will NOT work without color cartridges. The quality for HP printers the worst of the worst. Every time I buy a new HP printer the quality continues to deteriorate. I will NOT be buying another HP printer. I will be looking at Consumer Reports before I buy my next printer.

Defective ink cartridge - Attempted to print tax return, ran out of ink. Purchased new cartridge. Return was approx 68 pages. Next print was less than 10 pages, got cartridge empty window before completion. THIS WAS IN FEBRUARY! Still no support!

The last two HP printers I have purchased have a very annoying printing error. No error is noted on the screen but they are not printing correctly. There are random voids on my documents. Not in the same place or on the same page – very random. I have spent in excess of 10 hours trying to correct both printers. The last one was returned and the new one has the same problem. The last one was a 8600 series and this one is a 8700 series.

HP has placed unreasonable (if not illegal) controls on my printer ink usage. A year or so ago, I suddenly received a message that I was not using genuine OEM HP ink and the printer would not work. After numerous tries, I got a message asking if I was sure I wanted to use non-HP ink. I responded, "Yes" and the printer worked until the ink was gone about three months later.

After that, I was never able to get back to the message that allowed me to use non-HP ink. Shortly after that, my "original HP ink cartridge" ran out of ink in a very short time. Assuming this was a manufacturing problem, I bought more "original HP ink" and experienced the same problem. The "genuine HP ink cartridge" lasted only about 25 days whereas a refilled cartridge would last about 3.5 months. I researched the problem and learned that HP had developed new tactics to advance their profits. HP had cut the ink in the cartridge way down. At that point, I pried open my own black cartridge and found that this was true. I estimate that I had about 1/4 to 1/3 of the amount of ink that the cartridge would hold. I tried another depleted HP cartridge and found the same thing. Further research revealed a comment that HP maintains that "improvements had been made in the print head that would essentially make up for this". HELLO!

NOW, I have just discovered a third way HP advances their ink sales. I just installed a new "genuine" HP black ink cartridge" and when I reviewed the resultant test page, I thought the ink looked way too dark, particularly, the black. So I copied a full page document to get a better look at the ink usage. It was also very, very dark so I checked the ink usage setting and found it was set on "Normal". I changed it to "Lighter" and re-ran the document in copy mode and found it very satisfactory. Unfortunately, I soon found that the "Light" setting automatically reverts back to "Normal" a couple minutes after you have stopped copying. Is it legal to lessen the capabilities of a product after a person has purchased it? I will get rid of the HP printer, BUT I WILL BUY HP STOCK and be prepared to SELL the stock on short notice when all this becomes public knowledge.

I'm going to join this Greek chorus of complaints about HP. A few years ago I bought an HP5740 All-in-One. It was adequate to the task, relatively inexpensive, and generally satisfactory. July 2016 the 5740 packed up. It was out of warranty, and I figured not worth repairing, so I bought a new one same model, except this one was an HP5741 (HP's website doesn't seem to recognize the 5741; everything even the machine's literature refers to 5740). Strange, but true.

First problem is their horrid ink subscription service. When the new machine arrived (ordered directly from HP with the extended 3-year tech support) I couldn't use the ink cartridges that had been sent with it unless I enrolled in the "Instant Ink" HP subscription service. I didn't want to do that: I don't print as much stuff as I scan, PDF, fax, email, whatever. I knew I was never going to use ink fast enough to make that service worthwhile for me or for HP. The alternative was to drive 40 miles to a store to buy ink cartridges. It's 2 in the morning, all right, all right, I sign up for the service just to have cartridges that work. But it feels like I'm being blackmailed.

Second problem is the HP5741 doesn't want to talk to my computer. No matter what I did it would not link up. I called tech support. He tried to give me the "Your computer is outdated" line. "No, buddy, it's not - I bought it in June, the month before I bought this printer." Then he tried to tell me my router was outdated. "No, buddy, it's not. I just got this in April, and it's a top-of-the-line highspeed. I've got 50mbps, slick, clean, no lags, perfect." Too far from the router? Nope, sitting right next to it, with computer and printer both. Got the 5741 plugged into a surge protector? Nope, directly to the wall, I fear no electrical surges. Too many devices on the network? Nope, just one. And on it went. Finally he allows as there might be a glitch somewhere. He does the control thing and two-and-a-half hours later has it linked. Finally.

Two weeks go by. During this time every ten minutes, half hour, whatever, a black bar comes up in the lower right-hand corner of my monitor "Scan to computer no longer activated!" Annoying as all get out. I check the self-help forums (Notice how every company has glommed onto that? They don't have to do anything or pay anyone to help the poor saps struggling with their inferior products. Blind leading the blind.) and apparently a lot of people have the same problem. Seems to be something in the software. HP hasn't been able to find/fix it. Real confidence-inspiring there. Fifteen days the link from the printer to the computer disappears.

I try everything because I do not want to call those tech people again, but it's no use. I call. I really should just copy and paste here, because this conversation went just like the first, and finally the tech guy allowed as how there was a problem, and he took control of the computer for two-and-a-half hours and got it working. Two weeks of black bar in the corner and the link dropped again. Meanwhile, I start getting notices from HP saying "Doncha need ink? Huh? Doncha doncha doncha? Is your printer hooked up? Is it on? Is it plugged in? How are you cheating our system?" No amount of explaining "No, I haven't used more than 10% of the ink from these cartridges because the printer doesn't work half the time!" gets through to them.

Over the next few months here were a couple more repeats of the tech calls... They get it going after two-and-a-half hours... it disconnects again... etc. By April I've had enough. The fix didn't last two days this time. I called and demanded either a new machine or a refund. They finally sent a replacement ("reconditioned" bet they have quite a few of those) machine, a true 5740, not a 5741. They probably realized the "updated" model was useless. I carefully unpack it, taking photos so I can pack up the duff one and return it. I go through all this, getting the new one set up, the old one packed up, only to find the cartridges won't work in the new one.

Why? Because they're used. I call Instant Ink. "Oh yes, we must send you new ones. But we will not charge you." And they couldn't have sent those with the replacement. "When will I have them?" "Two-to-five business days." "WHAT?!? You ship those suckers to me express. Don't give me this one-week stuff." They would not budge. I emailed the CEO's office a blistering letter. They turned my complaint over to a "dedicated case manager." He said they couldn't do it. They're in Arizona, not Timbuktu! I finally suck it up "Yes, yes, all right, just send 'em already." Of course, the machine won't do anything without cartridges even if all I want to do is scan. So I wait.

Meanwhile, I'm thinking (fool that I am) that maybe I can set it up with FedEx to pick up the old printer when they deliver the cartridges. There was a big orange envelope with a large print message "Pre-Paid Label Inside." And on the instructions for unpacking/repacking in itty-bitty print it says "Customer is responsible for shipping fees on returned products." I've had it. I called and told my dedicated case manager not to bother sending ink cartridges. "But I've already ordered them." "Tough. I'm going to refuse the delivery. I'm going to send this old printer back, all right. I'll eat the cost. I'm going to send HP the replacement machine, too. I'll eat that cost, and the three years of tech support. You can take both machines and --." Yes, I did, I said it. And I've sent them back.

Now, I'm leaving sour reviews everywhere I find. The inferior quality of their products at least, these all-in-one machines is surpassed only by the inferior customer non-service they provide. The moral of my story? Don't - buy - HP. Anything. Ever. You will be left holding the bag.

I paid over 1500.00 for this HP Pagewide Pro MFP 577dw printer and it doesn't work right. Stalls, won't scan and won't print. Have logged (by cell phone) 545 minutes with HP customer support since April 12, 2017 and today is May 2, 2017. After all this, they said they would give me a new printer refund the original $1500.00 but they would charge 4 or 500 more for the replacement printer. Told them to take their printer back, no replacement and refund the full amount. After I told them I was disputing the charges on my Discover card they said okay. I don't recommend HP to anyone and will never own another of their products.

I bought this printer (HP workforce printer 7640) last week and have gone through 2 print cartridges, printing only 75 black text pages. HP is likely not filling their ink cartridges appropriately. Save your money and dump HP. They are scammers. The printer does work fine however.

I bought this ENVY HP printer in March 2017 and set it up at home with no problem. However, there is one paper jam after another even though the paper's been loaded correctly. The worthless machine doesn't print squat and it wastes my time. Removing the jam means trying to pull out a ruined sheet of paper for awhile. Then the stupid machine goes into sleep mode. I will buy another brand of printer since the ENVY one is WORTHLESS. It doesn't print or do squat.

Had an Envy printer Series 5660 which the printer head became defective. I used the website troubleshooting methods but nothing seemed to change. Called repair and explained what was going on with the printer. The agent said since it was still under warranty they would just replace it. I was never told that I have to be without a printer until the defective printer was received at their facility. I found this out when I received email with the return label.

I waited until FedEx had the printer in their possession to call and ask for the to go ahead and mail me my replacement. The young lady I talked to was was so condescending and treated me like I was a child. I talked to her supervisor and all he did was make excuses for her and there was no way they would release the printer to be mailed to me. It seems to me I am being punished for their defective product. I will no longer buy another HP product. They do not care about their customers. Buyer beware.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

HP Printers are created by Hewlett-Packard, a large technology company founded in 1929 and headquartered in Palo Alto. The company manufactures and sells a wide range of printers in addition to laptops, desktops, tablets and more.

• Ink types: HP Printers come in a wide variety of ink choices, including laser printers, ink jets and more. This means the company is a good choice for people who are looking for a printer that uses nearly any type of ink.
  • Community-focused: HP is focused on doing good in the world, and they are committed to environmental initiatives that can help strengthen the environment and improve the earth's future.
  • Varying capacity printers available: The company has created a wide range of printers, from those that can handle a very high capacity, to small individual job printers. This makes it a good choice for anyone from large businesses to individual PC owners.
  • Reputation: HP is one of the oldest technology companies that still creates and sells products, and their years of success have proven that they are a forward-thinking company that makes high-quality and well-regarded products.
  • Accessories: The company sells a wide variety of accessories that can accompany printers and computers, so it is a convenient one-stop shop for those in the market for a printer.
  • Best for Large offices, homeowners with computers, photographers, students and schools.

Compare Printers