1.26/5

Printer/Copier/Scanner/Fax

952 HP Printers Consumer Reviews

Original review: Aug. 14, 2019

I bought an HP OfficeJet Pro 8710 all in one wireless printer in Sept. 2018. When I had difficulty with set up, I phoned the number on the HP setup page. I spoke with a technician who forwarded me to a company I was told HP does business with — Infini Computer Security LLC, out of Santa Clara, CA. They looked at my in home wi-fi and told me my IP address had been hacked and corrupted, making connecting with the wireless printer impossible. For a $1200 lifetime fee they would correct the problem and prevent it from ever happening again. I’m embarrassed to say I paid the fee. My printer works fine. Infini is not a vendor HP uses. I called them recently with a fake problem; they offered the exact same diagnosis and tried to seek me the same bogus system again. BEWARE. I have tried to raise the issue with higher levels within HP with no success.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2019

I replaced my last HP printer with another HP because I thought I'd just purchased an isolated lemon. Lo and behold, I have the same problems with this second printer (different model than the first) -- plus some new ones. Even though it registers as connected to WiFi, it doesn't print! Sometimes it doesn't recognize the printer. Sometimes it says the printer isn't responding. It'll work at random times, but I can never figure out why it works when it does.

I've downloaded the printer driver five times, and still nothing. And yesterday it just started spewing blank pages out in a frenzy, like something from an episode of I Love Lucy. I have a MAC, and HP's printer scan "doctor" only works for PCs. They have no equivalent for Macs. I followed all the direction on their help page such as putting in a permanent IP address, but nothing has worked. Oddly, my husband can print from his phone, even though he didn't install any printer software. I don't plan on buying an HP again. Ever.

Get expert buying tips about Printers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2019

HP Desk Jet 2626 Model printer. First the box and directions inside the box say nothing about requiring a 2.0 USB cable. It is supposed to be a wireless printer.

Attempts to load the installation software do not work. First chat session person says buy the stated USB cable that he provides in the chat session and all will work. I bought the stated cable. (It was $40) I plug the cable into the printer and laptop. I can get the laptop to see the printer. But it does not want to accept it as a default printer. Attempt to load the installation software on the laptop do not work.

HP customer only gives me preposted responses to use. None fit the situation as I see it. Requests to talk with a manager is denied. Requests to see if a return number is required again it is denied but they use a series of drop down screens are used to confuse the situation. Even if the Geek Squad can make it work, HP can not support their product.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2019

HP designed this horrible printers to waste waste waste your money & to make you waste ink & paper. EVERY time you have to change a cartridge (which is all the time!) it wastes the tiny amount of ink by printing this ridiculous page & forcing you to then scan it (for best color quality, which is total BS!). So right out of the package, they have wasted your ink. Sometimes a brand new & way overly expensive cartridge will print only 10 pages before it runs out. Printers only hold a little bit of paper too. Also, if you try to save money & go somewhere like eBay to get generic & much cheaper ink cartridges, the HP printer will do all kinds of things to screw up your print job & not let you save money.

I absolutely hate HP & their scam. Will NEVER buy another HP product & have warned many people not to & will continue to do so. Printers used to print lots & lots of pages w/ just a single cartridge. Oh yea, I if you want to only use the black ink cartridge, this horrible machine will not work unless you buy a color one too. Lots & lots of other problems. Run, don't walk, away from anything having to do with this scam of a company. That's my opinion.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2019

This is my 2nd and LAST HP printer. BOTH are supposed to be supported and provide wireless connection for printing and both have failed miserably. HP support is virtually non-existent and very definitely not able to solve this recurring issue with the printers. A huge frustration and waste of money for a product that simply doesn't work. Their own website says the IP address is incorrect and they don't offer any reasonable support to fix the issues. I have tried multiple fixes, wasting hours, and it always quits again. NEVER buying HP again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hewlett Packard?

Original review: Aug. 2, 2019

The printer did not function properly from the start. However I also try to be involved in keeping our environment healthy by trying to start buying refills which makes sense if you want to do your thing to keep our earth in balance. I certainly will not buy another HP Printer. There must be printers that are environmentally friendly and of better quality.

Original review: July 31, 2019

Purchased new HP printer in March of this year. Had previous one for 3 years or more and it worked fine until it died. New printer took months to get it to print--and now in July it will not print and tech support is unavailable due to their system problems. Strongly caution about buying this model (Officejet Pro 6978) as you will not access support easily. I have called tech support four times this year about a printer that is only 5 months old and has only worked 50% of time.

Original review: July 26, 2019

I bought this to ensure that I had a printer that worked. Upon initial installation it did work... and then almost immediately stopped working. The printer requires a restart every time we want to use it. The online 'static IP' that should prevent it... simply does not. Worse, period 'updates' randomly hit the system with no warning and shut down the entire print process. Having a printer just stop working and having to go through troubleshooting steps to figure out why is time consuming, and, when in a hurry, needless aggravating. It can hours to work through the process and discover that an 'update' was pushed out that requires you to completely remove the printer from your system, download all updates onto both the computer and printer, and then re-add the printer and drivers from scratch. Afterward, there is no additional functionality; there is no fix for previous errors and you still have to restart the printer every times you want to use it.

It appears to just be a random push to break the printing process and deliberately antagonize HP users. Every time this has happened, there has been absolutely no increase in functionality, efficiency, user interface... nothing. Worse, HP appears to know this and has decided to respond by blocking customers complaints from reaching it. Getting to an actual customer service agent is next to impossible. The online 'solutions' are tedious, outdated, and often do not solve the problem. When you raise these issues up to the Executives, the response to to dump the customer into a generic CS system where they want to talk to you... but really don't actually say anything. Customers want a printer that will print - pretty easy. HP's response? “We don't really care whether or not our product works.” Gotcha. My wife and I are ready to purchase a new printer, and there is no way it'll ever be an HP again.

Original review: July 22, 2019

I purchased an HP Envy 4512 all-in-one printer. Twice now after using half the cartridge ink I have gotten an error stating the cartridges installed are not correct. I tried their online remedies which did not work. I ended up buying new cartridges last time. I will not do so again. I am buying a new printer and it will NOT be an HP.

Original review: July 20, 2019

These HP printers seem to only last a year, these are garbage printers that stop working even with little use. Would not recommend to anyone. I will be trying a different brand, I have HP 3 tries and enough is enough. Do not buy!

Hewlett Packard expert review by ConsumerAffairs

HP Printers are created by Hewlett-Packard, a large technology company founded in 1929 and headquartered in Palo Alto. The company manufactures and sells a wide range of printers in addition to laptops, desktops, tablets and more.

• Ink types: HP Printers come in a wide variety of ink choices, including laser printers, ink jets and more. This means the company is a good choice for people who are looking for a printer that uses nearly any type of ink.

• Community-focused: HP is focused on doing good in the world, and they are committed to environmental initiatives that can help strengthen the environment and improve the earth's future.

• Varying capacity printers available: The company has created a wide range of printers, from those that can handle a very high capacity, to small individual job printers. This makes it a good choice for anyone from large businesses to individual PC owners.

• Reputation: HP is one of the oldest technology companies that still creates and sells products, and their years of success have proven that they are a forward-thinking company that makes high-quality and well-regarded products.

• Accessories: The company sells a wide variety of accessories that can accompany printers and computers, so it is a convenient one-stop shop for those in the market for a printer.

• Best for: Large offices, homeowners with computers, photographers, students and schools.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs