3.05/5

Printer/Copier/Scanner/Fax

926 HP Printers Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 23, 2019

Bought an HP Officejet 6962 in August 2017. Spent a little more money to get one that said "Built for business" on the box, thinking it would last longer---WRONG! This printer was often very slow to print, and would frequently go thru a 7-8 minute 'performing printer maintenance' routine about every 3rd time I would use it. This is very annoying when you want to print a boarding pass for a flight or a ticket for some event and then get out the door to go there, and you have to repeatedly wait for the 7-8 minute 'printer maintenance' to finish. Never had such issues with my prior Epson printer that last me 4 years before it went out. Now this HP printer has gone out at 20 months old, as described below. 20 months old and just after I used up the first black ink cartridge. If this is HP's idea of 'BUILT FOR BUSINESS', I hate to think how cheap their 'Built for home' printers must be.

About 3 weeks ago I finally used up the first ink cartridge it came with, so you know I didn't use it very heavily. On April 14, the day before tax day, the printer quit reading paper in the tray and kept giving me an 'out of paper' reading, even though I would load 15-20 pages into it. The printer would work fine if it could 'read' that there was paper in it, but whatever it uses to sense the paper obviously went bad. I went thru all of the online 'solutions' that HP has to correct the issue and none worked. I got to the last 'solution', "Repair or replace your printer", so I will have to do that---but I will NOT be replacing it with another HP printer of any kind. I believe they build them cheap (i.e. Disposable) to quit working within 2 years, in hopes that people will go buy another HP unit. Not going to do that---I'm going back to Epson which last twice as long as an HP, or more. HP home printers have proven to be garbage.

Original review: April 20, 2019

For over a year now my wife and I have used an HP Envy 7800 printer. As I myself am in the middle of a return to university to increase my job options, I frequently use the printer multiple times in a day. Yesterday, I was prompted by the HP Assistant to install software and firmware updates for my 7800 Envy. Making the mistake of believing that the HP programmers know what they were actually doing, I installed the updates as requested. My laptop has not been able to connect to my printer since and although the printer does show up in my printer list when in the Control Panel, I am plagued by a validation error each and every time I have tried to print a job since.

Being a currently enrolled student, and with finals week closing and multiple papers due in a few days, this is beyond annoying. As an additional insult to injury, as I finally in an exasperated state selected a system restore to remove the garbage update from my system, the installation files are so embedded in the system registry that after 30 minutes my system restore has STILL not finished cleaning the junk that is this HP printer update from my system, thoroughly rendering my laptop useless and forcing me to install files needed for me to accomplish my work onto a 10 year old desktop I keep around for occasional work. As soon as this printer dies, my wife and I are returning to the Brother product line and not looking back. Last time I buy a printer due to a low price. I should have known the programming would be of a matching quality.

Get expert buying tips about Printers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 17, 2019

I have limited internet, paper and ink. When HP has a software update they interrupt my print job on the last page. When I say no to the update the print job doesn't finish. When I try to print the last page, the printer starts the job again wasting ink and paper. If you have limited internet, paper and ink this printer is not for you. HP doesn't put the customer first they put auto ink sales first. I don't need and can't afford INK on their schedule. They have fixed the software so you can't use generic ink and they stop you from printing when you still have ink. When you run out of ink the printing gets lighter. HP just stops your print job and says you are out of ink. AGAIN HP IS ALL ABOUT SELLING INK NOT ABOUT THE CUSTOMER!

Original review: April 3, 2019

My warranty expired so HP messaged that I call their phone support. I waited 45 min and was told my printer was out of warranty and I have to pay $19.99 for their tech support. My printer is 1.5 years old. We have 4 HP printers and this is the last time I will buy anything from them.

Original review: April 1, 2019

Sales agent encouraged me last year to buy two Cyan color cartridges at once. Finally used the new one this year and it leaked. HP would not replace it because I bought it a year ago and it was "against policy." Offered only a $10 discount on a new one. NO more HP!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hewlett Packard?

Original review: March 31, 2019

WIFI – Random connectivity, two different laptops, sometimes one connects but not the other. Same issue with home Wi-Fi, retail store Wi-Fi, iPhone hotspot, and HP WI-FI direct print. Ethernet and USB connections print fine. Printer state is reported as off-line. Color cartridge level status does communicate via WI-FI with HP Smart, etc.

Color LaserJet cartridge levels indicate we are getting about 50% of the estimate number of printed pages per cartridge (HP 202A). For people that do not check this information and simply reorder cartridges when needed, HP should be making a killing on money just because of their advertised specs for estimated number of pages per cartridge – 1300 pages – which is actually about 700 pages. I have spent 6 hours trying to get phone support from HP. At my first try, we had a bad audio connection and she could not hear me on my iPhone. The second time, our line was dropped shortly after we started talking, the remaining 3 times I remained on hold until I received a message to call back at another time. Arg! What has happened to HP? This is not the same company that developed the first scientific calculator to replace slide rulers or the HP1000/HP9000 company of years past.

Original review: March 14, 2019

Bought a three pack of new black ink xl. The printer refuses to ink or show ink. HP very disappointing. The 3 pack of ink costs almost as much as a new printer. Another rip off. The machine is obsessed with providing HP brand ink only. A lot of their programming goes into identifying non HP ink cartridges. I wish more went into identifying why it will not ink. Very disappointed. Mike **

Original review: March 8, 2019

Hi sir, I am Abhin, your product are super cool. I am using HP printer too. Is great and its printing speed and print quality is also great. Your colour 680 ink is best in class and at I want to say that if you print above 100 copies the printer get heated. That's all and I have a request. I have a YouTube account, I want to give a review on your product if you send me your product for my YouTube review and I will give some feedback and review to my viewers. And I feel so proud to work with you. I think you will definitely say yes!! #hp. Thank you.

Original review: March 6, 2019

I had a Epson printer prior to this HP printer and the Epson was far better. The HP printer prints adequately WHEN you can get it to print. However, you must reboot it each time you want to print something. It is a time waster for sure. I looked up this problem on the HP website and most everyone has this same issue. DO NOT BUY!

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

All they want is your money. If you cancel the service they hold your printer hostage. I had this service for about a year and I barely use my printer so I decided to cancel it and now my printer won’t work. They told me I need to buy new cartridges even though the ones I have still have plenty of ink in them but since I don’t want the subscription anymore they blocked them. HIGHWAY ROBBERY??? I wish there was a way to give it no stars. They don’t deserve any.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

I purchased the HP 6978 DeskJet Pro printer in August for college work. It was fine for 6 months, good quality, lots of features. Then one day it told me it was offline from my laptop, so I hardwired it and figured I'd get back to that issue and made an appointment with Best Buy. Then it kept telling me of paper jams that didn't exist and stopped working altogether telling me to get in touch with HP and gave me a code on the screen. I called them, gave them the code, they said they would be sending me a replacement in 3 weeks. I called about a 2 weeks later to see if they could speed it up. He said they're on back order but he'd see what he could do. I get a return call that they'll be sending it out and I should have it by Tuesday the latest. That was on Thursday and it is now Tuesday.

I called yesterday since I hadn't received the tracking info I was promised, she said someone will get back to me in a few hours. Never happened. I spoke to 3 different people today who were very polite but none of which could help me. Everyone had a different story and no one knew if I could get a refund. I was told to look up and contact corporate. What a joke. There is no corporate number to call. I call to complain and was told I could not get a refund and I'll just have to wait for my 'case manager' to get back to me. I said, "When will that be?" He didn't know. I can now safely assume that not one of the employees at the call centers knows anything and that HP doesn't care about its customers. All I can say is that I'm glad I bought an Asus laptop. HP is no longer getting any business from me.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

HP has a terrible business model, and I hope karma will be coming back soon. I have had problems with HP printers for years, but they keep getting worse. I realized the problem when my computer kept requiring cyan ink, even though I only printed B&W. Then HP stopped selling cyan, forcing customers to buy the full color suite, even though only B&W was used, and all other colors were full. Then HP stopped allowing generic ink, and started producing error messages if off-brand cartridges were installed. Then I had to start using the "Instant Ink plan" which charged me per month, even though my printing needs were minimal (and almost always B&W).

Now my “printer head is malfunctioning", and looking online, I see that this is the latest scam for HP, to force your loyal customers to keep purchasing HP products. Your business plan is terrible, and I hope it leads to more class-action suits and bankruptcy. Planned obsolescence is not a principle that the modern economy was founded upon; as long as there are other options available, competition will hopefully take care of this terrible business practice. Instead of falling for HP’s “this part is no longer available so we’re offering you this updated model for a sale price" (which is the same price as I could get it from OfficeMax), +$35 for a 2-yr warranty (since we all know it will fail if I don’t purchase it), I just ordered a different brand from Amazon Prime, with a 1 day delivery time.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

I had a heart attack on December 23rd. I was in the hospital until about January 12... I received statement being billed for more than 100 pages... I explained that I had not been here to be printing anything and that was an error. Agent stated, "When we did have a loss of communication for 5 days and then your computer notified us of what you had printed." I restated the circumstances and he said there was nothing he could do. Idiots. So printer going in the trash, cancel account or change brands.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

I've gone through 3 HP printers in the last 2 years and I truly feel like this brand is terrible. They just randomly stop working for no apparent reason. I did all of the online tech support that was available to me, tried to use the service center that was provided through the online search and then finally called tech support. Although Akash was nice, he did not make it clear that HP stands behind their product. He kept telling me that there was a hardware issue and that I should upgrade to a new printer. When I buy a product, I want it to be a product I can count on. I don't want to have to keep buying new products every 6 months to a year. Not only is this frustrating, but it is wasteful. I advise anyone considering an HP product to look elsewhere. I will NEVER buy an HP product again - why invest in a brand that doesn't stand behind its products? Very disappointed.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

I have gone thru 5 HP printer in 6 years. Some were replaced under warranty but they send refurbished and they do not last. I will never use HP products again. The models are HP Officejet 8600, 8620 and 6970.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2019

After trying for 2 hours to fix my printer I finally called support. Only to find out that I have to pay now and EVERY MONTH in order to get it up and working. NO help was given and zero support offered after finding out my purchasing warranty was expired. What happened to pride in your company name? What happened to loyalty your customers? I always looked for HP products -paper, cartridges, fax machine, etc. I WON'T SUPPORT A COMPANY THAT DOES NOT STAND BEHIND THEIR PRODUCT. Sad that they are just out to make more off of the customers that already showed their loyalty to HP. They lost me as a customer and I will make sure word is spread about their lack of customer support (no matter the age of product). I'll start at the store when I buy a new printer - guaranteed NOT to be an HP!

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

I've owned this HP LaserJet Pro MFP M278-M281 printer for 1 week, a vertical line is showing up on every one of my feeder scanned documents. 2 days later and still can't get a live person to help me. Returning & no longer an HP customer.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

On January 2, 2019 I purchases an HP OfficeJet 5200 All-in-One printer at Best Buy. It was defect and would not install. I returned it to Best Buy and they gave me another. It installed but the printer screen did not show anything but blueish light. I contacted HP Support and was first on extended chat with ALEX. After trying everything he could think of, he informed me that I had not removed the plastic cover over the window and hung up. He was wrong, and I later tried Support again and got on Chat with SAM. We again went through everything and after what seemed like an eternity. He finally asked me to email him a photo of the printer window. Which I did.

The next day I contacted SAM again and he told me his supervisor would call me and asked what time “tomorrow” would suit me best. I said between 8 and 10AM. Several days passed and one evening at 9PM I got a call that the printer Window was defect and they would send me a new printer. After a week or so, I received the computer, not a new one but a refurbished one. I bought and paid for a new printer and after weeks of hassle, I end up with an older refurbished machine.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

A c/s rep who can't speak understandable English was the first hurdle. My printer not being in warranty apparently makes me a nonperson at HP. I was told I had to pay for a solution over the phone with no refund if it didn't work. Mostly the rep pushed me to "upgrade" to a new printer. Lousy, sucky service, will never purchase another HP product and will junk this printer for a different brand.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

Purchased a Samsung laser printer. The division was absorbed by HP. Wireless function on the printer has gone from sporadic to non-functioning. Setup was always far more complex than necessary. Now that it has stopped entirely, HP refers me to online help only, which is useless. Pro tip: Do not purchase Samsung or HP printers. Plenty of other reliable options out there with dedicated support that will help solve your problem.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

The HP printer consistently refuses to recognize compatible cartridges from manufacturers other than HP which makes the printer unusable. Of course HP wants the user to purchase their much more expensive cartridges and I don't need the added expense. My HP printer is now at my local county recycler and I have purchased a better printer for well under $100 from Brother. The new printer will pay for itself after 2 or three cartridge changes. Bye, bye HP.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

Will not stand behind their product. As a Real estate agent I need my printer and scanner daily. From the very first day I had problems with it. It went into fax mode, constantly went off-line, The printer rollers would not catch the papers something new every time. I spent hours on the phone with support until my time ran out and then was forced to join InstaJet in order to get any more help. Shortly after I bought it I had a heart attack, my life went on hold, and when I finally quit covered enough to go back to my printer saga, I was told my warranty ran out three months ago and they would not help me anymore. The machine is defective, frustrating and HP will not help, even after reviewing the many many phone calls for help, and taking into consideration that I had a heart attack during the year. Despicable! I will never buy or recommend HP again.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

I have purchased 2 HP printers that have failed to operate within 1 1/2 to 2 years from the time of purchase. I initially purchased the HP 4630 it failed, so I purchased the 6970 and it has also failed after 1 1/2 years of purchased. Contacted HP and was advised the warranty had expired and there is no further assistance they can provide. Please be advised, both printers were used in a limited manner for personal use, not used on a daily or even weekly basis. The operating failure for both printers is a manufacturing issue from HP. I cannot continue to replace printers that fail with limited use. The response from HP is extremely poor and unacceptable.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

I contacted HP about the Officejet 8720 printing horizontal lines through photos printed on glossy photo paper and was told something different every time I got to the next representative. Like many others on this discussion board I too have hit my limit with HP’s poor customer service and I will never give my hard earned money to HP again. We spent $400 on this printer and only had it just over a year. When I spoke with HP the last two times both a supervisor named Mark’s (badge # **) and case manager named Alejandra’s (HP Inc. AMS Consumer Escalations Team) resolution was to give me a $75 coupon so I could waste more money buying another piece of junk HP printer. I was also an HP instant ink customer, not anymore. Never again HP, and I will make it my mission to spread this news on every outlet I can get to post it, to warn other families so that they don’t make the same mistake buying from Hewlett-Packard.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

I purchased a laserjet printer...model M277DW. After 1 year and 1 month a little plastic part broke on the bottom and I was told it is not repairable. We had also purchased 5 extra ink cartridges that cost $104 each. It was so hard to actually talk to a human at HP. When I finally was able to reach someone they said the warranty on the printer expired. I was also told that I cannot return the 4 unopened ink cartridges because they have a 30 day return policy. OMG. So the printer that cost $547 and broke after 13 months is not repairable. And the ink cartridges that cost over $400 are not returnable.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

I owned a HP 2655 Home Printer and Subscribed to HP Ink service for more than a year. For about a year everything went well, until one day we ran out of ink, more than a month went by and never received any replacement cartridges. Had to go buy ink from another source and installed in our printer. Next day I received a E-mail from HP stating that they could not communicate with my ink cartridge and they also charged me my monthly fee for their service. I called and was told that it was an error on their behalf and ink cartridges were being shipped out immediately. Told the rep I planned on using my ink I paid for before using theirs since I paid for it. Was told that was ok.

Then they billed me a monthly fee for using the ink I purchased elsewhere. I called again and was told it's a service they provide and I still had to pay. I refused to pay them for ink I'm using that did not come from them. They then disable my printer so that it would not print with anybody's ink (theirs or mine). They also want me to pay them 3.25 to cancel my account. In the trash the printer goes and I will never own a HP product again! I'm out 54.95 plus tax for the ink I purchased from another source plus the cost of the printer because they can disable it, and they want me to pay them 3.25 to cancel. NEVER AGAIN HP. NEVER AGAIN!

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

The printer costed about $300. I immediately had to return and contact HP for a return as just after the date past the printer malfunctioned and had to be returned for another. Since then it has worked off and on. Loss of internet with strong signal, carriage jams, and the other day the auto feeder assembly broke. I took it twice to a HP repair shop. This last time the assembly wasn't available. I did find an 8500 ADF with lid on eBay purchased and when I tried to put it in same problem the blue plastic clip broke. It should have never broke in the printer due to no heat or sunlight exposed and only a piece of typing paper goes through the ADF one sheet at a time.

So I have over a hundred bucks for repair on an old printer. Even though this printer is used by businesses but if cheap plastic parts and parts that shouldn't break HP should honor some sort of warranty beyond the generic one. I am considering a cheap printer to just use for what I need or going away from HP to a more reliable printer which will last longer and ink isn't as expensive. If HP wants to reach out to make some sort of compromise then we shall see and the review would be updated.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

This is my third, and last HP printer. Out of the box they are great. My latest, a 2540 series all in one wireless, did as all do. It worked until the 90 day/1 year warranty expired. First the wireless stopped, then it just won't do anything. HP help is as useless as the printer itself. I know printers are not inherently a good or cost effective product, but it is a necessary tool for me. So, good or bad, I will NEVER buy another HP printer. If there is such a thing as a "ghost in the machine", HP is the evidence of it. Warranty dies, printer dies.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

It seems that HP has made it impossible for consumers to use lower priced, competitive, third party ink cartridges. My Envy 5540 will simply NOT work with remanufactured or "other brand" cartridges. Once the printer has "detected" a non-HP ink cartridge, even though it is a fully functional cartridge, it simply will not allow you to print anything. If one doesn't mind paying top dollar for ONLY brand new HP ink cartridges, then this is an "OK" printer, but I'm not "OK" with HP leaving me without choices that a consumer should be allowed to make when refilling the printer they have already purchased. I've dumped my HP Envy and now have a Brother HL-L2350.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

Very frustrated by my recent experiences. I own a painting company and I needed a new printer to print my contracts and estimates. Again, I am a painter - not an electrical engineer or computer programmer. I was simply looking for an easy-to-install basic printer that I could use while offline. No luck. I spent 45 minutes downloading drivers, testing the printer, following prompts to nowhere. Sick and tired of technology getting less and less user friendly. Is it too hard to ask for a printer I can plug in, connect to my computer, and use?

My 7000 series Deskjet is now smashed into 1000 pieces. It felt great. It smashes really easily, but yet parts do not fly out dangerously - so you can smash this printer with no protective gear required. I chose to pick it up above my head and drive it to the ground with as much force as possible. Again, it felt great. I then punted it into a wall - with no shoes on. This flimsy piece of plastic garbage disintegrated upon contact with my sock. Extremely gratifying. 2 stars.

Hewlett Packard expert review by ConsumerAffairs

HP Printers are created by Hewlett-Packard, a large technology company founded in 1929 and headquartered in Palo Alto. The company manufactures and sells a wide range of printers in addition to laptops, desktops, tablets and more.

• Ink types: HP Printers come in a wide variety of ink choices, including laser printers, ink jets and more. This means the company is a good choice for people who are looking for a printer that uses nearly any type of ink.

• Community-focused: HP is focused on doing good in the world, and they are committed to environmental initiatives that can help strengthen the environment and improve the earth's future.

• Varying capacity printers available: The company has created a wide range of printers, from those that can handle a very high capacity, to small individual job printers. This makes it a good choice for anyone from large businesses to individual PC owners.

• Reputation: HP is one of the oldest technology companies that still creates and sells products, and their years of success have proven that they are a forward-thinking company that makes high-quality and well-regarded products.

• Accessories: The company sells a wide variety of accessories that can accompany printers and computers, so it is a convenient one-stop shop for those in the market for a printer.

• Best for: Large offices, homeowners with computers, photographers, students and schools.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs