1.09/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

HP Printers

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 15, 2017

532 HP Printers Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 15, 2017

I would NEVER EVER buy any HP products again. For me to have a printer only 1 year and the printer head completely goes out and I can’t get any help from tech support or customer service is not ok. Tech support and customer basically didn’t show any concerns of my issue and basically told me I would have to buy another printer. Didn’t offer any discounts to purchase another printer or anything. Whoever is the director of operations both need to send a memo to your tech team and your customer service team. They need to work on their customer service skills. I will never buy anything HP Again.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

My goal is to warn the world NOT TO BUY HP PRINTERS!!! We purchased this HP 4630 printer on Black Friday about 2 years ago. This loaded up and seemed to connect to my computer without a hitch. I used it for a few weeks and then it lost connection with my computer. My computer is a laptop and whenever I take my laptop out of the house, which I do at least once per week, the connection between the laptop and the printer needs to be fixed by a support technician. They literally take control of my laptop and work on it for hours before it is ready to be used. I got tired of this chaos so I go for months without using it.

I had signed up for the instant ink program and loved the fact I didn't have to go out for ink replacements. However, with the hassle that using the printer is, it's just not worth the trouble. I can go to a friend's house and use the Canon printer every time without need to uninstall and reinstall or call tech support or have the representatives "accidentally" disconnect the call before a resolution has been made. Extremely HORRIBLE customer support and an even WORSE product.

They finally decided they would give me a new upgrade of the printer... but there is no way I'd ever buy another HP nor will I advise anyone to... I'D ADVISE EVEN MY NOT-FRIENDS TO STAY AWAY FROM HP!!! Absolutely terrible junk. What pushed me over the edge was the last two weeks an error has come on the printer stating the ink cartridges that are installed are not meant for this printer... It's the ink they sent me!!! HP does not even deserve 1 star but I had to choose something.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

While I have an HP Laser 1022n printer (black only) which has always and continues to function beautifully after thousands of copies, the more recently purchased wireless Photosmart 7520 (colour printer) is so expensive to operate, due to ink cartridge life, that I can no longer afford to use it. The yield from ink cartridges is terrible and defeats the whole purpose of having a colour printer. I find it more efficient to take my documents to a retailer to print them for me. After all, if I print them myself, I'll have to drive to the retailer to buy more ink anyway.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2017

My husband and I purchased a new printer, we got home, installed the new printer with the INK that CAME WITH the printer. We then enrolled in the instant ink program, they started to charge us for USING OUR INK! We realized that it was not going to be cost efficient for us to use the program so we cancelled it that next day. I just noticed that we are being charged for every page that was printed after we cancelled our subscription. I contacted them today to tell them I cancelled it 20 days ago and I should not be getting charged for the pages printed and the use of MY INK. They informed me that I am being charged because they don't bill until the end of 30 days so therefore my cancellation is not effective until after the first 30 day billing period.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

I have been using HP products for decades. The one thing I always liked about them was their customer service. No matter what problem I had they always fixed quickly and efficiently. That has changed! I am a photographer and have been using HP wide format printers since they came out. The print up to 13X19 inches. I am now on my 3rd printing head for a 3 yr old officejet 7000. I put the last one in about a week ago and it was working fine.

I also bought a new HP laptop a couple of months ago. Last night I tried print a display but couldn't find the 13X19 paper size on the printer's menu. I've been on the phone with HP customer service all day and finally they said they could fix it for $99. I said no way. I was going to print the display 81/2X11 instead and now find the printer doesn't work at all since I let the jackass from HP into it remotely. I'm sure he screwed it up because it was working fine last night except for not being able to find the right paper size. If I wind up needing a new printer it WON'T be another HP.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hewlett Packard?

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

I am on my 3rd ENVY 7640 printer in 9 months. The original printer refused to print anything except copy or photo paper. After calling HP support 20 times in 3 days, I finally got ahold of someone who spoke English well enough to answer my questions. By then I was 2 days past the warranty. After arguing with the supervisor for over an hour about whether I should get a refurbished printer or a new one, he finally agreed to send me a new one. A few weeks after it arrived, the paper jammed and caused the color cartridge holder to break. I was sent a refurbished printer that prints horrible photos, even on their advanced photo paper. I will NEVER purchase another product from HP! When they were based stateside, HP had the best customer service of any printer company. Now it's lower than a 1 star!

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

I had a big print job coming up. About 5000 pages. All black and white. Told the salesperson what I need and did not want to spend an arm on replacement ink. I got a new 6968 HP All-in-One printer and $150.00 more in black ink. The great salesperson told me about instant ink. And if this big job was a one time thing instant ink would be for me. ($9.00 for 300 pages) And as long as I did not use their ink it would not count. They gave me 3 months free ink if I signed up in 3 days. I go home set up the printer. Started printing run out of black. I Put a new one in that I bought from the store $49.99. About 4 days later I received ink in the mail. I remember the young man telling me I was good to print if I did not use their ink. Printing away. Now have spent almost $400.00 on black ink. Never opened the ink they sent because I had color for when I got the printer. And the black they sent was a small one.

I bought the extra big ones. I will save their until I am done with this job. I got a notice stating I owe almost $200.00 on printing. I call 4 times before they told me the ink that came with the printer was theirs and as soon an I put it in it started counting and as long as one of the color inks was in there it counted even if I was not using it. We all know that the printer will not work if one or more ink cartridge is empty let alone missing. All the ink I used I bought. How can they tell me I owe them. My printer, My ink, My paper, My electric. I even told them I can send them their ink back. Did I miss something. So Pissed. I have great credit. Not anymore. I refused to pay this salvage company.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2017

I currently have a HP Envy 7640 all in one. It will continuously go "offline" requiring it be re-installed to be able to print. Now it won't even install the driver because it can't establish a connection. There are abundant reports from many people with the same unresolved issue. This is not my first issue like this with a HP printer. I had a HP printer (model I don't remember) that stopped recognizing that it has a brand new HP printer cartridge installed in the yellow position and would not print in color. Again, research showed this problem was quite wide-spread. It has become apparent to me that HP printers are junk and HP doesn't care if they make good products. I am going out to buy a new printer today. I can guarantee it will not be Hewlett Packard. They have gotten all the money they will from me.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2017

I had a Hewlett Packard Deskjet 2540 and the software was not working so I rang HP and they were unable to get it working also. The operator convinced me to upgrade my printer to HP Envy 4520 and after it was delivered she rang me up as promised to help me set it up but that was not needed. She then told me that she could give me a good deal on XL ink for my new printer. A few days later the ink arrived and it was the wrong ink. They sent me 61 XL instead of 63 XL. The support at HP is the worst that I have ever encountered and the operators are so nice until they have your money and then don't want to know you. I will NEVER buy a HP product again. The service is worse than Telstra overseas call centres and I use the term SERVICE loosely. NEVER AGAIN HEWLETT PACKARD.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2017

I bought a new iMac in March of this year and an HP Envy 5664 printer/scanner/copier to use with it. The quality of the print was always inferior, but adequate for my use. Finding the right ink requires a college degree to go through a chart as thick as the old Yellow Pages to find the right ink for the right printer. At first, I thought this was simply the company needing to streamline its product line to be more user-friendly. However, my problem started today when I simply couldn't print! My computer just couldn't locate the printer. Not being tech savvy, I tried as many solutions as I could come up with, including downloading an upgrade from the HP internet site. Failing everything, I miraculously found a telephone number for a customer service representative. Before hearing out my problem, the representative informed me that my printer was out of warranty and I would have to pay $20 for his help.

I asked how long the warranty was good for and he said a year. I told him that I bought this printer in March of 2017 and should be covered by the warranty (I even verified the date of purchase on my credit card statement). The representative insisted that, according to their records, I had purchased it in April of 2016 (before moving to Atlanta and before purchasing my iMac). I hung up and decided, instead, to pay the $20 towards the purchase of a new printer as long as it would not be HP. I don't know how this company remains in business! Their product is inferior, it is poorly designed from a user point of view, matching their ink is virtually impossible, and their customer service borders on fraudulent. My advice to anybody contemplating purchasing an HP product is, simply: DON'T!

Original review: Sept. 8, 2017

I purchased from Sainsbury's a double pack of HP Inkjet cartridges 301 for HP Desktop Series 2540 as unfortunately could not get on laptop to order. The cartridges are fine. I checked the levels and Tricolor was okay but black out. I replaced the black, printer would not work. I then took out the Tricolor which did not need replacing and replaced it with the new one. Printer worked. Still plenty ink left in replaced Tricolor cartridge. This is not value for money and I wish some recompense for this. A free set of 301 in the post would be good. This is not Sainsbury's fault.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2017

My experience is almost identical to Robert from Reno - when I bought this piece of junk (7612 printer) all-in-one printer/scanner/copier I hoped that I was paying for a quality product but from the day I bought it if you let the machine sit for more than a few weeks the next time you tried to use it it would say it was out of ink and wouldn't let you print anything until you went out and plunked down a lot of cash for new replacement ink cartridges. It didn't matter if the previous cartridges had only printed, like 20 black and white prints, every time I tried to use this piece of crap it was demanding more ink. It was like that damned plant in "Little Shop of Horrors" constantly yelling "FEED ME" any time you got near it. I've tried downloading new drivers from HP's support site, no luck.

I wrote a complaint to HP and they never even responded. I've tried calling HP several times to get help and all they ever do is try to get me to buy a new unit "at a big discount". Hey, I wasn't happy with the product or the service the first time, why in the hell would I invest any more in their products? Today I called them again, twice, and both times they tried selling me a new unit. Then I tried once more to download an updated driver from their site and now the piece of crap doesn't work at all. If I unplug it, then plug it back in the screen lights up, then goes blank and all lights on the machine go off.

When I called HP they tried to tell me it sounded like a hardware problem (I suppose that's possible, since it appears that HP makes crap) but since it happened immediately after I downloaded their new driver I suspect that there is something in their software that deliberately shut my printer down. It looks like my only option is to buy a new printer but I'll be damned if I'd even look at an HP product now. They would have to go way out of their way to ever prove to me that I should trust them and their products again.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2017

We bought the HP printer for my son who is a college freshman. He was having trouble getting the printer set up so he went on HP help chat. An agent called him and said he could help him but it would cost $60 for everything he tried. My son said no he just needed some guidance and asked for the steps. The agent said only he could do the steps and it was $60. My son finally agreed to let the agent try one try.

I contacted HP and asked why they charged $60 to get their products set up. They sent me the 4 steps to connect the printer AT NO COST that the agent "helping" my son would not provide. I asked they refund my son's money and they said that was not their responsibility even though my son went through the HP help chat provided by HP. My family will not buy HP products again.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2017

I have a business printer in my office. It was registered under my manager. I tried to handle this situation on a recall printer. 1st timed I had called I was transferred to a tech support. The female told me that I needed to take the printer back where it was purchased and the recall is covered under the factory warranty and there was nothing they could do. Apparently, the warranty had expired and if I could provide a receipt then they can extend the warranty. I told her repeatedly that it wasn't my printer and that it was a business printer. Then she said there was nothing they could do. Also she had said repeatedly that this was procedures she was following.

I called back the following Monday to see if I could talk with someone different because I found out a recall is different than a warranty. The number that I had called 1-650-857-1501. The operator of the HP did verify that the HP OfficeJet Pro 6830 is a recalled item. Then the operator said she would transfer me to a Case Manager Ryan. I ended up speaking with a Alejandro (female). Alejandro told me that it was not a recall item. I told her yes it is and the person that transferred me said it was also. Then Alejandro said that the item it is not recalled but it was faulty with the printhead. I told her to hold a minute, so I that I could turn on the machine and verify that is says that - in which it did. Then she puts me on hold for a good 5-10 minutes just to state that there is an expiration date on that recall July 2016. There is nowhere on their the web site that states that it had expired for that recall.

When I had ask to speak with someone higher - Alejandro told me that her boss is in a meeting and there is no one higher than them. I told her there is always someone higher. Then she finally gave me this number 1-877-917-4380 ext ** and the person's name is Eddie. She had said it very fast; and I am not sure that it is even accurate. I had tried repeating it back and when she was responding back it sounded that she wasn't trying to hear me and was just trying to get me off the phone. My Manager says to let it go; however, what HP customer service has done for me is they had left a me is bitterness. I am going to tell everyone and post to every site about their unethical business decision making on a recall product that no one would had known. Thank you for your time.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

PageWide MFP 377dw - High volume printer that you can't use the high volume ink cartridge in even though it's available! Can't print in black and white because one of the colors is out! Can't get faxes because one color is out and all else are full! When I was shopping for a printer I went to Staples and there happen to be a HP rep in the store. Basically told me how amazing this new technology is and unfortunately I believed him!

I rely on this printer for my small businesses and I have a report to print for a meeting this morning. I can't print even though I have a full black cartridge, because ALL the colors have to be full too to print a black on white report!!! I'm also not getting faxes, which is how my orders come in!!! HP could care less about my business!!! HP's effort to bring in more revenue with no regard to the impact on the consumer is going to back fire! I'm stuck for the moment, as to buying a new printer however, that will be short lived and I will NEVER buy another HP product printer or otherwise. Too many other options to choose from.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2017

HP OfficejetPro 8610 - Can only use their cartridges from instantink.com. The machine won't let you print using any other cartridges. You can cancel using instantink.com, but still it won't let you print from your own printer. Worst company idea ever to force people to use a monthly ink program and buy only their expensive ink cartridges! Horrible way to do business!

Original review: Aug. 2, 2017

I bought a 6830 HP Officejet Pro printer in July 2015 with one year standard warranty. The so called professional machine's printhead failed in July 2017... exactly two years after. I called customer support 8.2.17 and was told my options are 1. Go to hp.com/go/support to see if there is any troubleshooting that can help, (Really!) the screen is already showing a 0xc19a0003 "There is a problem with printhead" 2. Buy a new printer. Really! Now I would have to buy a new printer and new types of print cartridges since they don't make the 6830 anymore. What the heck am I supposed to do with all the unused cartridges!! DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY BUYING HP OFFICE JET PRO PRINTERS... unless you like donating your money to HP.

Original review: July 29, 2017

My hp printer 6700 is a complete scam. They will steal your money over and over. If you don't use it for more than a few weeks it will say cartridge is empty. I went through two complete printer sets and over $60 each in less than three months on around 10 print jobs of 1-2 pages each. Mostly text. There is clearly enough of you getting scammed as well. There's enough of us getting ripped off that if we group together we can file a class action lawsuit.

Original review: July 27, 2017

I bought this HP ENVY 7640 series all in one printer 3 mos. ago for my iMac through Amazon. It prints satisfactorily. However, the fax machine is constantly ringing with calls from HP to the printer display that ink will soon be needed. Because this is an complete assault on the senses, startling me, I must completely unplug it. I have complained via email to HP that if this is not corrected, (and I will not do it on my end) I will trash and stomp it, then buy an Epson.

Original review: July 24, 2017

HP 8715 - Just spent/wasted $46 on a black ink cartridge that "needed" replacing. Now it demands I replace the color ink cartridges ($65) when I never print in color. The color levels are fine (there's ink leaking from its nozzles) and I just want to print in black and white. That's all it does is print in black and white. The software driver is taken down from the available drivers online, so essentially it wants me to buy a new OS system (more $). I call the DCA and they literally take the company's side and don't file any complaint. Stay far away from this hell hole of a device. This company intentionally sets you up to spend more and more money every way it can. Nightmare is an understatement--this device is made in h-e-double L. The printer also requires your information for it to even work. No more privacy folks.

Original review: July 17, 2017

I have owned a HP office jet 8610 for 1 year. I have not been able to print from my iPad or iPhone without rebooting my router. This problem occurs intermittently with my Mac Book Pro. I have seen complaints dating a year back without HP fixing the problem. The older software worked satisfactory but won't work anymore. After trying several fixes recommended by HP which didn't work. I am finished with HP. When my printer ink is used up, I am tossing the printer in the trash and buying a Epson printer. Wireless printing works with Epson printers and the ink is cheaper.

Original review: July 15, 2017

I am a teacher and the state doesn't actually provide funding for our educational system. So, I find myself interested in HP instant ink so I can make copies at home. I purchased an HP Envy 3700 series only to find it won't install... It downloads "basic software" for over an hour, then it starts back over at 0. This happened three times, then it apparently gave up and skipped to "web connection" which I had done before software installation but whatever. It claimed to be on my wifi and NOT on my wifi simultaneously. Took my debit card info without a hitch, then claimed it couldn't establish a connection. Right, but somehow I'm positive they will establish a connection with my bank and charge me for a monthly instant ink subscription despite the fact that I am returning this trash tomorrow. Please don't give this pathetic company your money, time, or energy.

Original review: July 14, 2017

I have a HP Deskjet 3520. It worked fine. Then I signed up for instant ink. I realized after having it a bit that it was too expensive and I didn't like having it. So I cancelled. I took out their cartridges like they requested and sent them back. However when I bought new cartridges that were HP ink my printer no long printed the black ink! No matter what I have done I cannot get it to print correctly. I had no problems with my printer until after the instant ink program. Somehow they have broken my printer! I thought maybe it was the cartridges so I bought more as I ran out of ink just testing it. The black cartridge always read full. Because it was not printing at all. So I tried again... nope not gonna work, no way, no how. Tried reinstalling printer cd after removing all the software hoping it might reboot. But nada! This is infuriating! So much money down the drain and this printer is only about 2 years old. I'm not buy any more HP printers! This is a big scam.

Original review: July 5, 2017

7640 series - ROYAL pain the arse. STILL not working after DAYS of attempting to install - wireless, cable, AND CD. Not good customer service number. LUDICROUS operation. Intend to purchase a different printer by ANY OTHER MANUFACTURER.

Original review: June 21, 2017

Worst printers. This will be the 3rd broken printer received. I have had to box up two broken printers within the last 10 days! Complete waste of time and they don't compensate for their default printers. You think re-boxing and shipping big printers is fun and efficient?? No compensation. Just time wasted. Never purchasing HP products again. Nikko the supervisor can is suspect. Not sure who put him in charge.

Original review: June 19, 2017

I spent 2 hours troubleshooting with an outsourced community overseas and afterward the item needed replacement. I proceeded with the process and could not continue because it required a collateral for the warranty from the factory. I refused to give my personal info overseas and they declined me from receiving my free replacement. My repair ticket was then canceled against my will and now there is no one to help me with this issue. I write this to show the issue exist. If someone hear of this please be advised.

Original review: June 18, 2017

I bought a new tricolor cartridge for my HP 3630 Deskjet printer. 6 copies in, yes you saw that right, SIX measly, pathetic, half sheet copies, the cartridge was empty!! $30 of my hard earned money, completely wasted! The ink cartridge I replaced, lasted for over 6 months, and just the day before, at the end of its life, having been used frequently, printed 14 full color pages! Over double what the brand new cartridge printed! Complete garbage! I used to be an avid fan of HP products. Bought them exclusively. I actually own 3 HP printers. But I have noticed as of late, that their product is beginning to lack, especially in the area of customer service. I am done!!!

Original review: June 17, 2017

If you're considering an HP printer, find another one. I bought one for home and work, and it only allows you to use the HP Instant Ink on the printer that is signed up for HP Instant Ink. I'm a teacher and told the customer service rep, and she told me it didn't matter. Worst customer service.

Original review: June 14, 2017

Do not buy HP's instant ink program. Paid for ink that never came. Refused to refund credit card recurring fees. Customer service is an oxymoron. Big brother is on your printer. My mistake. Don't say you weren't warned.

Original review: June 4, 2017

Don't get suckered into this monthly subscription program! If you decide to cancel, HP disables your current cartridges, even if you have not opened them. I've paid into the program for a year and a half and just now opening my first tri-color cartridge. But since I am cancelling the service, HP is disabling the brand new cartridge even though I've been paying about $4 per month for 1 months! What a rip-off!

Hewlett Packard expert review by ConsumerAffairs

HP Printers are created by Hewlett-Packard, a large technology company founded in 1929 and headquartered in Palo Alto. The company manufactures and sells a wide range of printers in addition to laptops, desktops, tablets and more.

• Ink types: HP Printers come in a wide variety of ink choices, including laser printers, ink jets and more. This means the company is a good choice for people who are looking for a printer that uses nearly any type of ink.
    • Community-focused: HP is focused on doing good in the world, and they are committed to environmental initiatives that can help strengthen the environment and improve the earth's future.
    • Varying capacity printers available: The company has created a wide range of printers, from those that can handle a very high capacity, to small individual job printers. This makes it a good choice for anyone from large businesses to individual PC owners.
    • Reputation: HP is one of the oldest technology companies that still creates and sells products, and their years of success have proven that they are a forward-thinking company that makes high-quality and well-regarded products.
    • Accessories: The company sells a wide variety of accessories that can accompany printers and computers, so it is a convenient one-stop shop for those in the market for a printer.
    • Best for: Large offices, homeowners with computers, photographers, students and schools.
    Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs