2.45/5
Based on 131 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Printer/Copier/Scanner/Fax

Last updated: May 22, 2018

629 HP Printers Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 22, 2018

This printer (HP 332) is worthless. True it is a cheap printer, it did work for a while, but is now less than a year old and stopped printing. It had a new cartridge and shows it still has ink, but no printing. I will not buy another HP product if this is the best they can do. The last one I had worked pretty good for many years, it was an HP c4400. Icons are difficult to read and I never did get wifi printing to work from iPad or phone.

Original review: May 18, 2018

8610 All in one printer - I have been purchasing HP products, especially printers since I was old enough to use one. The last 4 printers are nothing but trash. They break down, do not work and are WORTHLESS! If I could give this company a negative 10 stars I would! They do not help whatsoever and their products get worse all the time. They used to be the ultimate company for technology but ever since that Carly whatever her name is took over, she has run the company in the ground. It is TERRIBLY SAD. WORTHLESS WORTHLESS GARBAGE.

Get expert buying tips about Printers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 21, 2018

I reached out to HP online chat because my HP DeskJet 3755 printer wasn't working, brand new out of the box. I was getting dark and over saturated spots on my photos also white streaking from the rollers. I was on chat with HP for THREE HOURS and by the end of the chat they had three people take remote control access of my computer. "Simon" at first agreed he saw the streak lines on the photos, halfway through the chat he had changed his mind and said no he could not see the streaks.

I had two printers hooked up to my computer for work which I cannot print at all anymore on any printer. "Simon" deleted ALL drivers from my computer so I no longer have access to print. He told me I just needed new ink and my computer/printer issue would be fixed. So I told him I took screenshots of the entire conversation and I would be reporting HP the next day.

"Simon" refused to use my warranty on my printer to send me a new part or a new printer. The printer only cost $60 brand new at Best Buy and my warranty is good for another eight months. I specifically asked him 4 times to use my warranty but he assured me new ink would fix all problems. I literally told him I am smarter than that and knew ink wasn't the issue. Now when I try to print on any printer I hook up to my computer it states hardware is not installed to print on my computer.

I asked if he was in another country and he said, "India." I asked for a American rep and he refused. HP only wants to take remote access to your computer or they will not even try to help. I am extremely frustrated because I work from home and must print daily to do my job. I am now 4 days behind. The only thing I can do now is try to get a different IT person to help fix the printing issue so I can work. The printer I purchased for my husband as a Christmas present seems to be a loss of $60. I will NEVER EVER buy HP again. Do not waste your money, buy elsewhere. Samsung has never let me down.

Original review: April 18, 2018

I needed help with my printer I bought 2 years ago. HP customer service are the rudest people I have ever met. They acted like I was wasting their time, hung up on me twice because they didn't want to help me. Then wanted to charge me to tell me how to hook the printer up to wifi??? I will never buy a HP product again!

Original review: April 17, 2018

Purchased a HP All-In-One OfficeJet Pro 6978. When system was installed did not have any issues. As time has passed I am constantly unable to use my all-in-one device. It seems when I can actually use it varies during the day. Reaching out to tech support is even worse, put on hold indefinitely, and when you finally can talk to someone he, she, it doesn’t know what they are talking about. I have owned this device since February 15, 2018 and have nothing but aggravation. Constantly getting the YANK talking to as many as 5 people for approx. 2 1/2 hours and in the end cannot get any resolution. People are undertrained but always want to help you but don’t know what they are doing. Tech reps. need a lot more training!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hewlett Packard?

Original review: April 11, 2018 HP Printers are very nice. HP Customer Service is 10 thumbs down. Instant Ink is 100 thumbs down. I had a Officejet 8610 and got a subscription for Instant Ink. Everything was fine, until I was out of town when I had a problem with my credit card. Therefore, my card stopped and couldn't have a new card. Was out of town.

Therefore, when the CC stopped the Instant Ink payment. I get it. When Instant Ink doesn't get the payment it completely stops the printer. I get it. Except whatever my computer stops, my computer is now changed. So after fixing the Instant Ink people, but the printer didn't work. I had several technical appointments, one of the case numbers **, and after a lot of time, every time the printer was fine. I gave up and paid for the warranty which would expire to 09/21/2018.

After the last technical service appointment people couldn't fix it. The only way was to use the printer was a cable, therefore, the printer couldn't work with wifi, therefore I couldn't print with the phone or laptop. The Tech person told me to call me back. No way, I've never heard a word. When the printer just stopped and called tech department. And they can't fix it. So I threw out this very nice printer because the Instant Ink people, the printer and the computer cannot talk to each other. Yes, I threw out a printer that was still in warranty. Yes, I did get another HP printer, which I love it. But I will never have contact HP customer service. I strongly as much as I can CANNOT suggest Instant Ink.

Original review: April 10, 2018

Tried to get a replacement part for printer. HP no longer makes. Ordered a new printer and ink. Assured it would be delivered in 2 days. Evening of 2nd day, after several calls informed printer was out of stock. Spoke with THIRTY FOUR DIFFERENT PEOPLE OVER A 7 DAY PERIOD plus approx. 14 emails. Most fragmented company, too many silos, no one is responsible, too many lines of business, nonexistent collaboration. Placed on hold for 7-35 minutes, calls disconnected, calls not answered due to 'unforeseen circumstances' per recording! Today it took me 3 hours to cancel order and request shipping label for the $386 of ink. Spoke to rep in the CEO office & he does not have access to all the HP lines of business, REALLY! Advised I would received follow up calls & emails, never occurred. NEVER EVER deal with HP.

Original review: April 9, 2018

I've owned HP products - particularly printers - for, literally, decades. Sometimes I buy "genuine HP" toner/ink; sometimes aftermarket. In 2016 HP pulled a stunt wherein HP released updated firmware that prohibited customers from using anything but HP products. There was such an outcry that HP reverted to the prior firmware. On the exact same day of the following year, HP re-released the same firmware. My printer no longer works... Unless I relent and buy HP's own over-priced toner. Won't happen. I will never again buy ANYTHING offered by Hewlett-Packard. By the number of bad reviews here, it would appear I'm not alone in that sentiment.

Original review: March 16, 2018

Bought the HP Photo Envy 7855 printer 6 weeks ago & signed up for Instant Ink program - have been very happy with it. Then today happened. Company sent the wrong size - didn't realize it until I was in midst of huge work job. Ink cartridge won't fit. Spend 10" finding a phone number for tech support, spent 10 with person #1 trying to have me force the cartridge & insisting it should fit. Then she puts me on hold for a couple mins. She comes back on, I tell her at this point I am sending my husband out from HIS work to BUY me a cartridge at Staples and all I want them to do is to fix the problem from their end.

She says, "Okay let me transfer you over to Instant Ink, I'll let them know about the problem." I get transferred to person # 2 who is told zilch about the problem is NOT in the Instant Ink dept, but is a fresh person who wants to start all over again with my name, phone #, serial # of printer etc. I explain the problem. She says, "Let me transfer you to Instant Ink," before I can say anything we are disconnected. Husband just came home with proper cartridge, and now we are out $41 and have 2 unusable fresh cartridges that don't fit. The level of ** poor service doesn't deserve a star. To say I am disgusted with the service from HP is a gross understatement. Buy a Canon!

Original review: March 13, 2018

Spoke to three reps, they wanted me to spend $640 in ink in order to test whether or not they will replace my $499.00 printer. THEY ARE RIDICULOUS! The second rep I spoke to admitted they have had numerous people call in with issues with these PageWide printers. 6 other people in my office heard her tell me because she was on speaker. The 3rd Rep (claimed MGR wasn't available) denied they had these complaints. They will not replace my printer until I replace all of my "non-HP" ink with HP ink.

I have used my ink company for 5 years now and have never had ANY issues with any of my other HP Printers and on the report that HP had me print the only ink cartridge that showed an issue was the black which I replaced even though I explained to the rep I didn't believe the ink was the issue and after replacing the non-HP ink with a $160 black HP ink the issue was still there. They said they can't do anything for me until I replace the color ink too. SO they want me to spend $640 in ink for them to THINK about replacing my printer!! Yeah right! Just another way for a major company to stick it to the consumer by blaming anyone but their product.

Original review: March 9, 2018

Printer works great. Clean, sharp words and images. My only complain is the price of ink. HP is also customers aware and attempt to be helpful. But I would like a more detailed manual or better cheatsheet.

Original review: March 9, 2018

I like the HP Printer for the Wi-Fi and all the new features it has to offer. It’s very user-friendly. But I think that it’s a lot of wasted time with the Wi-Fi direct.

Original review: March 9, 2018

When everything goes right this printer is great. However, if I haven't used it for a day or so, I have to turn it off, wait a minute or two, turn it back on. I have not figured out how to see what is in line to be printed. They took that off when they improved the site. Sometimes it refuses to scan. Thank God for the Geek Squad!

Original review: March 8, 2018

Cartridges are expensive and not reloadable with confidence at Costco. Printer quality is average. I had trouble making it work with my MacBook Pro and my OS system. Dropped it for a Canon - much happier.

Original review: March 8, 2018

Won't print unless there is about 5 pieces of paper in the tray. Any less and it says it is out of paper. Seems to go through the ink fairly quick and will not accept any ink cartridges other than HP. But prints great photos! All in all a pretty good printer for the price! ($30) And it is also wireless.

Original review: March 7, 2018

HP Color Laser Jet Pro M277dn is a fine printer, easy to use, and good quality output. Technical support is always available. For us, it is a workhorse.

Original review: March 7, 2018

I enjoy my HP printer very much. Others enjoy it too. The setting on the printer help you with whatever you want. It is amazing and I love it. The only thing is that the ink is so expensive.

Original review: March 6, 2018

I really like this HP printer. Photo printing is easy from online sources. One thing is though. The ink for this printer are not cheap. It is about the same price as a new HP printer.

Original review: March 6, 2018

I've had other printers. Dell, Canon etc. I purchased an HP printer and so far it has been my favorite. The printing quality is great. I've copied photos and they have came out great. What I love the most is the ink cartridges are very inexpensive. You can purchase them at your nearest Walmart store. I printed out a 100 page essay and it was clear. I've also uploaded it. Scanning ability is also top notch with me.

Original review: March 5, 2018

The installation was simple and the program easy to use. The picture quality is excellent but the ink smears a little. The cartridge is also easy to install and replace.

Original review: March 5, 2018

The HP OfficeJet 7410 and the HP OfficeJet 4650 have proven to be very good Inkjet printers with very good print heads that are part of the Ink supply cartridge. However, I have had considerable difficulty with the HP 7410 over the last year or more because of the software updates that have destroyed the ability to use the scanner and the ability to use the Maintenance that is built into the hardware. The software updates, and the new software that is available online are both very incompetent, and unable to be properly installed and operated competently.

I have been able to resurrect the HP 7410 only by downloading and manipulating the software, and by creating shortcuts in order to provide scanner operation, and the ability to find the scanned files. Fifteen years ago I had an HP 50 Printer, Scanner, copier that had the ability to rotate a scanned item in one degree increments. The new HP scanner software only allows rotation in 90 degree increments. That is not an improvement.

Original review: March 4, 2018

This program is much like a "Hotel California" in that you can check in any time you want, but YOU CAN NEVER LEAVE! HP literally holds your printer hostage if you end their "program." Have perfectly good ink cartridges that cannot be used, nor can the printer itself be used AT ALL. Spent an hour on the phone with HP, only for them to try to get a new CC # from me to continue the service. This proprietary service, has to be just this side of the law... BE WARNED.

Original review: March 4, 2018

The HP printer is fine. It's easy to set up and use. The print and copy quality are very good. But I don't like the fact the ink cartridges run low so quickly. The test cartridge feature will display a quarter full but documents won't print... Total waste of my money.

Original review: March 4, 2018

Nice printer but ink cartridges are too expensive and refill/rechip ink cartridges not always successful. Easy set up first time but more difficult to reset if system errors force a reboot from the beginning.

Original review: March 3, 2018

This printer was purchased with my AmEx points, so it cost nothing. That said I have no complaints about it at all. I've printed, scanned and faxed, without trouble in the 6 or 7 years I've had it.

Original review: March 3, 2018

I loved it but at first the print quality with the black had a lot issues like drying out or something. Still does but not as much. I am not sure what causes that but it was aggravating.

Original review: March 2, 2018

I've been using the HP 8715 for over a year and it works great 99% of the time. There are times however when it does weird things, like I can scan and print from the printer itself, but I am unable to print from my computer. The WiFi connection is fine. HP's tech help has been great. They log onto the printer and make the needed adjustments. I've asked why things like this happen and was told updates to other programs like Office can affect HP's settings that create the problems. I don't know if HP is the only brand that experiences issues after software updates, but why does it only happen when I really to print something?

Original review: March 2, 2018

Good printer for home use at a reasonable price, although ink is expensive and even with the xl size runs out pretty quickly. But print quality is very good. Compared to other, much more expensive, printers I have had, the HP is the way to go.

Original review: March 2, 2018

Easy to use and set up, the setup disk makes it easy. Is relatively fast. Good print quality and holds a good amount of paper. I haven't printed any photos yet but I am sure it will do a good job. It has wireless capabilities but can also use a cable. There is a nice front panel functions in case you want to scan.

Original review: March 1, 2018

I like the screen messages to assist with understanding the different features of my 4-in-1 printer. This is the second HP I have had (I would still be using the first one, but I dropped it while moving it). I prefer HP printers over other brands that I have used in others places (work, friends' houses, etc.).

Hewlett Packard expert review by ConsumerAffairs

HP Printers are created by Hewlett-Packard, a large technology company founded in 1929 and headquartered in Palo Alto. The company manufactures and sells a wide range of printers in addition to laptops, desktops, tablets and more.

• Ink types: HP Printers come in a wide variety of ink choices, including laser printers, ink jets and more. This means the company is a good choice for people who are looking for a printer that uses nearly any type of ink.

• Community-focused: HP is focused on doing good in the world, and they are committed to environmental initiatives that can help strengthen the environment and improve the earth's future.

• Varying capacity printers available: The company has created a wide range of printers, from those that can handle a very high capacity, to small individual job printers. This makes it a good choice for anyone from large businesses to individual PC owners.

• Reputation: HP is one of the oldest technology companies that still creates and sells products, and their years of success have proven that they are a forward-thinking company that makes high-quality and well-regarded products.

• Accessories: The company sells a wide variety of accessories that can accompany printers and computers, so it is a convenient one-stop shop for those in the market for a printer.

• Best for: Large offices, homeowners with computers, photographers, students and schools.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs