HP Printers

Printer/Copier/Scanner/Fax

Compare Printers

Research top Printers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I purchased an HP Envy printer model # 5530 in August of 2016. This purchase was thru Amazon. The printer is for home use and has been used very little to this point. The original set of ink cartridges were just replaced this week. The scan & copy functions both stopped working. I made an inquiry online and found that my warranty had expired in 2014. As I said I bought the printer new in Aug. of 2016. With that information I contacted HP customer service and that is when the real waste of my time started. I spent approximately 1 1/2 hours on the phone troubleshooting this printer. Keep in mind this printer is worth $99.

After wasting an hour and a half I was then put on hold for the shipping supervisor who I was told would ship me another printer. I was on hold for another 35 minutes before he picked up the call and had such a bad connection he had to call me back. When he did I asked where he was located and he said India, hence the bad connection. We confirmed all my information at which time he wanted my credit card number. This when I finally lost it. I told him there was no way he was getting a cc number from me and told him I expected him to ship me A REPLACEMENT. He tried to explain that they would only charge me a $1. At that point I said some choice words to him and requested his supervisor. He threatened to hang up on me for my language and so I settled down and waited for another 15 minutes for the supervisor to answer.

When the music finally stopped I said hello a couple of times with no answer and then I heard a dial tone. They cut me off. About 10 -15 minutes later there was a message on my phone from the supervisor stating that we were cut off and she would contact me again on Monday. It is only 1:30 CST right now but who knows what time it is in India. Please do not expect any customer service if you purchase an HP product and expect to waste a half of day if you. I am 60 years old and this is the WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE I have ever experienced so far in my life!!!

We purchased an HP Envy 7640 this year; still under warranty. The paper tray that also has a photo tray is not working. I chatted with tech support 3 different times. They want a credit card for security purposes. They said they would send me a refurbished printer. Why would I want to refurbish printer when my new one is only several months old. All I need is a new paper tray to see if it works. They went through all the Diagnostics to make sure it was the paper tray and it is. No resolution. I'm not comfortable sending them credit card number to them for security purposes and I don't want to refurbished machine. I got no resolution.

My HP Officejet Pro X476dw printer stopped printing intermittently with the Error message coming on, then stopped printing completely. We then found out that "HP chief operating officer, Jon Flaxman, said that it was down to a dynamic security feature in selected printers intended to combat counterfeit and third-party ink cartridges that do not contain an original HP security chip and that infringe on our IP" and "However, he confirmed that the company would release an optional firmware update within the next two weeks that will remove the dynamic security feature from HP printers."

Well this never happened with our printer, and we had only used a non HP cartridge in ours for one day, as the quality was poor, and that was 18 months prior to this happening. So HP lost communication twice I had with them, they sent me a quote to fix my printer, then I called to find out what was happening, and after spending 3 hours on the phone was told a new printer was being sent to me. Well it WAS NOT A NEW PRINTER.

IT WAS SOMEONE ELSE'S RECONDITIONED PRINTER, AND THEY TOOK MY PRINTER AWAY, WITH BRAND NEW HP PRINTER CARTRIDGES IN IT. No one said I would have to pay for this until I received a bill for £198.24 yesterday, calling it onsite HP technical support. Seeing that my cartridges cost me £232, I figure they owe me money. I am disgusted with HP over this, it was their fault, they caused it and want to charge us the public for their mistake.

HP 8610 Wireless Printer - Printhead Missing. Have experienced the same "printhead appears to be missing" error that so many on this site, as well as many others, have posted and complained about. We began experiencing this problem a little over a year after purchasing the printer, so the warranty had expired. Tried all the "work-arounds" online and from HP support and nothing worked. Basically, HP support said "these printers are only supposed to last about a year", with the remedy being to replace the printhead at a cost of about the same as the printer itself. And then, of course, they also tried to direct us towards buying a new HP printer. As others have said, we would never consider buying another HP printer again. We have owned much cheaper Dell and Epson printers that lasted years, so we'll lean towards those instead of the one year and done models.

I have an HP Office Jet Pro 8610. From the day I got it I have experienced 2 problems routinely: When I use the sheet feeder to feed documents as I scan or copy, 40%-50% of the time the original "mis-feeds" and is torn/damaged. This causes a great inconvenience for me as I must now manually load critical documents page by page, very inefficient. Frequently when printing the 8610 "errors out" so I must stop what I'm doing, reboot the printer, reload the document I am printing, and proceed... Again, inconvenient and a waste of my time. This product needs to do several things routinely without fail, including loading documents via the sheet feeder and print when asked to. It does neither reliably.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hewlett Packard?

I am cured. I will never, ever, ever own a HP printer again. As with previous HP products, I can count on the product not performing. With the HP Officejet 5746, the printer was set-up and software and wifi links checked and all seemed OK. It never worked right again. Maddeningly, it says there is a problem but does not give you the slightest clue as to what to do or where to do it. HP service is slow and like I said... I am cured, I am a member of the ABHP (Anybody But HP) club.

I bought two printers: HP Officejet pro 8710. The first one had to be set up with a usb cable and it was impossible. I had to spend an hour on the phone with support. Now my husband needs his set up. What a waste of time and money. The printer fails on every other print job. I even just reloaded all the software and it wouldn't even let me set it up with a usb cable. I can't use wireless because of security issues with our home. Beware.

I have an HP printer (6500). It is two years old. It has had 430 pages printed. I have had to replace the print heads and cartridges. Once for the print heads and three times for the cartridges. It uses four cartridges, YCM+K (black). Now after being idle for a month it says one cartridge is a counterfeit and two are empty. It will not print. It won't even print in BW although the K (Black) cartridge is not among the "bad" ones. I can no longer use the printer, even though there is ink and the cartridges are HP. And they have not been refilled. This is likely 6.28*10^23 complaint. Since this has been a common complaint for years, and HP is committing fraud and restraint of trade, how about a class-action to get these folks to stop this felonious practice?

HP Printer Officejet 6600 - Worst printer ever, uses ink and lot, with 99 dollar ink hardly print less than 100 pages, always running testing for 5-10 mts before print one page. Then it goes into testing mode again, HP making money of ink replacements. Breakdown all the time, when you call customer support rude people comes on, stating as courtesy that they are not charging for their service. Also said he has to charge me 19.99 dollars for coming on the phone, no help, then starting to sell a new product. Worst company ever, I WILL NEVER EVER BUY HP.

HP Officejet Pro 6930 printer. This is the worst printer I have ever owned. Consistently, it breaks down, rejects ink cartridges, and disconnects with my computer for no reason so that I have to reinstall software. HP has replaced it twice and both replacement printers have had problems. I am now on my third one. Just out of the box, it is showing a paper jam error. I have watched all of the videos. There was never a jam. I have followed all directions for clearing this phantom jam, but it still does not work. RUN, do not walk, away from this pathetic piece of garbage. I will NEVER buy another HP product again. (I also own an HP desktop, which is nearly as pathetic as the printer.)

This printer lasted through the original set of ink cartridges and as I am a low volume user the warranty has expired. I was told by tech support that I needed a new print head, the cost of a new printer. I won't be buying HP anymore.

I purchased an HP Officejet printer in 2014... it had to be replaced by HP because it was defective. I had problem again a few months later and they replaced it again. I started having more problems after about a year and they replaced it again with an Officejet 5740. Now the printer will not allow me to replace the ink cartridges. It says they are installed incorrectly. They are NOT installed incorrectly and when I call HP they are tell me the HP printer may be defective. This is MY 4TH PRINTER IN A ROW THAT HAS BEEN DEFECTIVE! HP makes substandard products and I WILL NEVER BUY ANYTHING FROM THEM AGAIN! GARBAGE!

HP Officejet Pro 6830 - I was given this printer/fax/copier as a gift. After approx. 8 months, I had an issue arise. An error appeared that stated "There is a problem with the print head." The HP customer support had me install four new ink cartridges (very expensive) only to have them tell me a new printer is on the way. I received a new printer without ink cartridges as promised. The person who promised me these is in India. "I installed the new printer only to have the same issue arise again" after only ten months and one (1) ream of paper. HP did not reset the warranty date. They claim this new printer is not under warranty anymore. Trying to find a support number is impossible as once they have the serial number, you are looped around on the internet and telephone support refers you right back to the HP Website. I am extremely disappointed in HP, in their product as well as support. I do not recommend this product.

HP printer Photosmart 6510. We bought this printer four years ago and now it doesn't accept all new cartridges anymore. We only buy these ridiculously expensive official HP cartridges so the cartridges can't be the problem. We just put two new ones after it said it didn't like the ones we had put in last week, which were therefore still as good as new (another 20 pounds wasted on this nonsense!). Now it works again but who knows for how long. We suspect that it is deliberate policy of HP to make their printers go haywire after a couple of years to force customers to buy a new printer. I totally agree with the other review I read on this website: HP is a nasty company and deserve to go down. I sincerely hope they will be fined by the European Commission in the same way that Apple has. That will teach them a lesson!!! We in any case will never buy an HP product again.

HP 8625 Ink Scam - HP has set the printer so that you cannot print in black or draft. They have done this to sell you more ink. DON'T buy this printer or it will cost you a fortune in ink.

Retired HP employee... Ordered HP ink online (have done it numerous times). HP sent me the wrong ink!! And not even close to what I ordered!!! Spend 45 minutes with online chat support agent, AND THEN she tells me she can't help me and to call a 1-800 for support!!! Really!?! So I called and got a supervisor on the line. He fixed the issue, BUT THEN told me HP wouldn't ship MY INK (that I had paid for) UNTIL they received back the incorrect ink!!! REALLY!?! HP has gone SO FAR DOWNHILL as a company, it's really sad... I will not, repeat NOT, even buy an HP product again... Ever.

My Office Jet Pro 8600 has stopped working because of the changes you made and my non HP ink cartridge. You should be ashamed of yourself for changing the printer in my home so that it no longer works. I think your ethics and business sense are deplorable. The price of your ink is way too high and obviously you are ripping off your customers to make a buck. Guess what? My Office Jet Pro 8600 will be the last HP I buy so you don't have to worry about me using the wrong ink cartridges in future. Sad to see a good company go bad!!!

My wireless printer is printing all right but for the life of me I cannot connect my printer to Web Services and I am now on the verge of getting a printer of another brand. I have tried everything but NOTHING has worked so far. They are asking for a "claim code" but the instructions for getting the claim code are disgustingly inadequate and I cannot understand them. In the meantime I have a printer and cannot fax and cannot scan. I would not recommend HP printers to anyone unless you are willing to spend big bucks to have a computer person come to your home to set it up correctly. HP's instructions are not clear.

On September 7, 2016, an HP representative contacted me in regards to me connecting my HP Chromebook to my HP F4580 Printer. At which time I was informed that my operating system does not work with connecting this printer. I was then told that I would have to pay forty nine dollars to remove other operating system slots in order to include google chrome as my printers operating system. I immediately informed the representative that I refused to pay the forty nine dollars at which time he hung up in my face. The customer service was extremely poor due to the rep not being able to explain in great detail the need for me to pay the forty nine dollar fee plus hanging up on a customer. I purchased this wireless printer approximately two years ago, so I have no clue on why it won't print from a Chromebook computer. If a printer is wireless you should be able to printer from any laptop.

The print option goes directly to the printer via WiFi, but when you need to scan, when it goes from Printer to computer, it all goes through the HP printer main server - meaning, when THEIR server is down, you cannot scan to email, you cannot scan to computer. And there is no option to hard-wire connect the printer to your computer so that you can skip funneling all your documents through the HP Server system.

And why is that??? When your printer communicates with your computer (scan to email OR scan to your personal computer) it goes through the HP Server, from your printer to your computer, it goes through HP - and they can then monitor how much ink you have in your printer - and then they try to sell you their automatic replacement system. This is where they make $$$$. After over an hour on their 'support line' (only open during business hours) I was FINALLY told that the reason why my scans were NOT emailing or coming to my computer was because their server was down. That I should wait a few hours for their server to reboot.

Seems their server is down much of the time, especially on weekends. (This is the second weekend in a row!) They NEVER responded to my emails - - they could have posted on their support website that their own server was down and that was why you can't scan to email or scan to computer. (My printer is 2 feet from my computer, WTF!!!) Until they offer an option where you can hard-wire connect to your personal computer AND also stop monitoring my ink use by forcing me through the HP server, I will NOT invest in this company.

HP, gives a whopping 90 days on software issues on computers. I have HP computer and HP laser printer. THESE WILL BE THE LAST ONES I BUY FROM THIS FRAUD OF A COMPANY! The HP support assistant which provides updates and drivers, will not recognize my HP printer. When I call tech support, the printer people tell me it is a computer issue. So when I call for computer tech support, they tell me the computer is out of warranty and I must pay to have help for so that the HP assistant can recognize my HP printer, from my HP computer.

I just spent another 55 mins being sent in circles. I asked for management, but got sent in another circle. NOT acceptable to keep someone on hold, transfer them around as if you are helping, only for the customer to end back in the queue for the next representative. I will NEVER buy their products again. This company does not value their customer or the customer's time. Again do not buy this garbage. None of their support staff is in the USA! Unless you want a crappy product, with a crappy warranty, with crappy customer service, STAY AWAY FROM HP JUNK!

I have owned a number of HP printers through the years and I feel like they have each been on a slow decline. My latest machine was purchased brand new and has only had problems. Print quality has been poor, the ink ran out incredibly fast even though I barely used it and there was a printing error almost every time I used it. The touch screen seems like a nice feature but has had issues with working and I've had to resort to printing important and urgent documents outside my house because mine either goes on the fritz or the print job doesn't look good at all. I thought HP was supposed to be top of the line but they've really disappointed me, especially as of late.

I have a HP Envy 7640 all-in-one-printer. I went to scan some pages to my computer and I kept getting from the printer that it could not scan to my PC. I brought up their fix it scan, and everything said that it was fine. I still had problems so I uninstalled it then reinstalled it only to my horror, they are telling me that I will have to pay $29.78 to fix it!!!! What a scam!!! I then brought up their tech support online, and asked what goes, and they said that I had to pay this or I couldn't get my 12 drives that I needed to fix my problem!!! I was so D** mad!!! I told them that I was going to tell everyone on the web, not to buy their products, because they will screw you for their services, to use the product!!! Why in the world would these people do this, unless people stopped buying their products!!!

I had an old HP. It still worked! However, they made sure you had to get a new one because you could no longer download the program or its updates. So, I bought a new one. Had to replace the black cartridge pretty fast which I was warned about (they don't even come with good ink cartridges). My replacement cartridge was completely used up on 40 typed pages. These are pages of a Brochure I made, so the font is really large and there just wasn't much information there. Unbelievable! They used to last forever and I mean 100s of pages. I used to teach so I used the printer a lot back in 2003-2014. You also used to be able to shake them and get one more page. No more. HP you should be ashamed of yourselves.

HP has been determined to undermine the generic ink being sold at a fraction of the cost. They initially allow printers to send an error message stating that non genuine cartridges are being used which could result in damages to the printer. This mostly is not true and is a scare tactic! Recently my 8600 Plus has been noted to send a (hp now is sending messages that one or more of your cartridges is damaged) error message claiming it's causing the printer to malfunction? The printer will no longer print and there is NOTHING wrong with the new generic cartridge beside H/P not liking that they aren't purchased from them.

It's amazing how any company can sell you a product and be allowed to control its use as if it is being leased for their purpose. This is illegal and we as a collective have to contact the Attorney General's and BBB locally to have this travesty investigated. In closing I maintain that the printers are great but the company is practicing questionable ethics.

Bought 22 days ago from Office Depot. Unit locks up about 5-6 times a day and I have to use the HP Print and Scan Doctor to clear items I was trying to print (God only knows what they were by the time I get the printer clear and can use it again!). Took me a full day to find a telephone number to call because the online "forums" provided by HP were useless. The Indian guy I got on the phone that took up 30 minutes of my day linked in and told me my computer was "infected" and that they'd have to sell me a protection program... read $$$! IF this printer has a problem with Windows 10 someone tell me. IF IT'S JUST A PIECE OF JUNK it's going back!

Update Aug 2, 2016: HP politely sent me an email with a very long sign in process to establish a Support Case Number. The email stated they would contact me... NOT. It's been 4 days. There is no one on the line at the telephone number given. It only refers you to online solutions (which are not solutions). How in the ** can they run a company like this? My printer locks up after every print job (simple print... 1 page word document). I spend a minimum of 2 hours a day going through the scan/print doctor to clear a print job so I can continue. Who in the gosh darn heck can I TALK to?

The quality of HP printers have been poor lately. I had good results from HP printers 7 years ago (I owned that printer for many years) so I purchased another HP 3 years ago to update to a better system but the ink dried in the jet tubes when not using it in just one month. After getting burned on that sale I still stayed with HP for the next printer & purchased the Officejet Pro 6830. Again a HP printer stopped working. On this printer I was connected through the internet to HP to remind me of changing print cartridges when needed so the issue with ink drying in the printing mechanisms would not be a problem again. I changed all the ink cartridges as told by HP but the old cartridges I removed were still full of ink!

A month later, again I was directed to replace all the cartridges (should be only the ones that are being used more), I could not print due to an print head error code. I looked inside when the print heads moved over and the inside of (what I still considered still a new printer!) was a flood of ink all over the inside of the guts of the printer, no wonder it could not function. I installed the cartridges correctly too! I WILL NEVER BUY A HP PRINTER AGAIN! I guess HP printers are only built to be useful for one year.

These things are super sensitive. I bet all the happy people are because they haven't changed a cartridge yet. We bought this at Costco, it ran great... until the black ink cartridge was empty... Was told I waited too long to refill the cartridge, as it is too dry and sealed to refill. Didn't realize these things have blood platelets. Ok, I guess we're over a barrel, let's buy some more!

We buy some more, $60 for 3 black cartridges!!! I was mad for a week because this took food from our baby's mouth. $60 can buy a lot of food, diapers, etc. They should be $6 each, we all know it costs about 60 cents to make one of these things... The packaging needs a waterjet, industrial shear press, or a gas welder to open. I guess they worry about people stuffing these down their pants and leaving the store but I bet more worried about them returning for store credit to get something that actually works!!!

I put the new cartridge in, and of course it doesn't print black at all. I check online and people mention wipe/soak the loading tray screen down with a warm water and paper towel and it should be good. It doesn't work. I try again, it doesn't work. Move the printer head over damp warm water paper towel. Doesn't work. Tried four times. It doesn't work.

I decide to pull another cartridge from the package, in case the first NEW cartridge was somehow bad. I instantly get a message "Thanks for having genuine HP cartridge". You're welcome, and thanks for marking up this cartridge so high I have to work more to buy my baby diapers. The printer then spouts off all kinds of warnings: "cartridge not functioning, printer head not functioning, can't identify cartridge, cyan not working, yellow not working, does not compute, does not compute..." Done with HP and from their stock it appears a lot of people are done...

I purchased a printer/scanner/fax last month and I am renovating a house I just moved into so I do not have internet connection. Right now, I just need to print documents. The CD that came with the printer would not read. I called and the person I spoke with was so rude. She continued to say, "what do you want me to do?" I asked for a new CD to be sent to me because this one is bad. She again said, "it's isolated." I said, "I don't understand, if I'm the only one then send me a new CD so I can set up my $220 printer I purchased from you." Her response, "I don't understand what you want." I hung up. I'm recently divorced trying to get a second job to get back on my feet. All I want to do is print my resume & I have to deal with this after what I spent. I'm sorry but she spoke broken English. This is sad.

Error: there is a problem with the print head. Bought at Sam's Club 2015, BIG MISTAKE! As reported ad infinitum by others and a friend who has returned THREE (3) of this model HP printer, my printer died today with an error reported: "There is a problem with the print head." NOTHING I have done to solve the problem, and it is considerable, allows print head cleaning, alignment, or any other maintenance activity. I'm through with HP printers permanently. No wonder HP's stock is in the tank. Avoid this HP printer like the plague. I'm through with HP printers.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

HP Printers are created by Hewlett-Packard, a large technology company founded in 1929 and headquartered in Palo Alto. The company manufactures and sells a wide range of printers in addition to laptops, desktops, tablets and more.

• Ink types: HP Printers come in a wide variety of ink choices, including laser printers, ink jets and more. This means the company is a good choice for people who are looking for a printer that uses nearly any type of ink.
  • Community-focused: HP is focused on doing good in the world, and they are committed to environmental initiatives that can help strengthen the environment and improve the earth's future.
  • Varying capacity printers available: The company has created a wide range of printers, from those that can handle a very high capacity, to small individual job printers. This makes it a good choice for anyone from large businesses to individual PC owners.
  • Reputation: HP is one of the oldest technology companies that still creates and sells products, and their years of success have proven that they are a forward-thinking company that makes high-quality and well-regarded products.
  • Accessories: The company sells a wide variety of accessories that can accompany printers and computers, so it is a convenient one-stop shop for those in the market for a printer.
  • Best for Large offices, homeowners with computers, photographers, students and schools.

Compare Printers