3.44/5

Printer/Copier/Scanner/Fax

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

916 HP Printers Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

I purchased the HP 6978 DeskJet Pro printer in August for college work. It was fine for 6 months, good quality, lots of features. Then one day it told me it was offline from my laptop, so I hardwired it and figured I'd get back to that issue and made an appointment with Best Buy. Then it kept telling me of paper jams that didn't exist and stopped working altogether telling me to get in touch with HP and gave me a code on the screen. I called them, gave them the code, they said they would be sending me a replacement in 3 weeks. I called about a 2 weeks later to see if they could speed it up. He said they're on back order but he'd see what he could do. I get a return call that they'll be sending it out and I should have it by Tuesday the latest. That was on Thursday and it is now Tuesday.

I called yesterday since I hadn't received the tracking info I was promised, she said someone will get back to me in a few hours. Never happened. I spoke to 3 different people today who were very polite but none of which could help me. Everyone had a different story and no one knew if I could get a refund. I was told to look up and contact corporate. What a joke. There is no corporate number to call. I call to complain and was told I could not get a refund and I'll just have to wait for my 'case manager' to get back to me. I said, "When will that be?" He didn't know. I can now safely assume that not one of the employees at the call centers knows anything and that HP doesn't care about its customers. All I can say is that I'm glad I bought an Asus laptop. HP is no longer getting any business from me.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

HP has a terrible business model, and I hope karma will be coming back soon. I have had problems with HP printers for years, but they keep getting worse. I realized the problem when my computer kept requiring cyan ink, even though I only printed B&W. Then HP stopped selling cyan, forcing customers to buy the full color suite, even though only B&W was used, and all other colors were full. Then HP stopped allowing generic ink, and started producing error messages if off-brand cartridges were installed. Then I had to start using the "Instant Ink plan" which charged me per month, even though my printing needs were minimal (and almost always B&W).

Now my “printer head is malfunctioning", and looking online, I see that this is the latest scam for HP, to force your loyal customers to keep purchasing HP products. Your business plan is terrible, and I hope it leads to more class-action suits and bankruptcy. Planned obsolescence is not a principle that the modern economy was founded upon; as long as there are other options available, competition will hopefully take care of this terrible business practice. Instead of falling for HP’s “this part is no longer available so we’re offering you this updated model for a sale price" (which is the same price as I could get it from OfficeMax), +$35 for a 2-yr warranty (since we all know it will fail if I don’t purchase it), I just ordered a different brand from Amazon Prime, with a 1 day delivery time.

Get expert buying tips about Printers delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

I had a heart attack on December 23rd. I was in the hospital until about January 12... I received statement being billed for more than 100 pages... I explained that I had not been here to be printing anything and that was an error. Agent stated, "When we did have a loss of communication for 5 days and then your computer notified us of what you had printed." I restated the circumstances and he said there was nothing he could do. Idiots. So printer going in the trash, cancel account or change brands.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

I've gone through 3 HP printers in the last 2 years and I truly feel like this brand is terrible. They just randomly stop working for no apparent reason. I did all of the online tech support that was available to me, tried to use the service center that was provided through the online search and then finally called tech support. Although Akash was nice, he did not make it clear that HP stands behind their product. He kept telling me that there was a hardware issue and that I should upgrade to a new printer. When I buy a product, I want it to be a product I can count on. I don't want to have to keep buying new products every 6 months to a year. Not only is this frustrating, but it is wasteful. I advise anyone considering an HP product to look elsewhere. I will NEVER buy an HP product again - why invest in a brand that doesn't stand behind its products? Very disappointed.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

I have gone thru 5 HP printer in 6 years. Some were replaced under warranty but they send refurbished and they do not last. I will never use HP products again. The models are HP Officejet 8600, 8620 and 6970.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hewlett Packard?

Original review: Jan. 20, 2019

After trying for 2 hours to fix my printer I finally called support. Only to find out that I have to pay now and EVERY MONTH in order to get it up and working. NO help was given and zero support offered after finding out my purchasing warranty was expired. What happened to pride in your company name? What happened to loyalty your customers? I always looked for HP products -paper, cartridges, fax machine, etc. I WON'T SUPPORT A COMPANY THAT DOES NOT STAND BEHIND THEIR PRODUCT. Sad that they are just out to make more off of the customers that already showed their loyalty to HP. They lost me as a customer and I will make sure word is spread about their lack of customer support (no matter the age of product). I'll start at the store when I buy a new printer - guaranteed NOT to be an HP!

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

I've owned this HP LaserJet Pro MFP M278-M281 printer for 1 week, a vertical line is showing up on every one of my feeder scanned documents. 2 days later and still can't get a live person to help me. Returning & no longer an HP customer.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

On January 2, 2019 I purchases an HP OfficeJet 5200 All-in-One printer at Best Buy. It was defect and would not install. I returned it to Best Buy and they gave me another. It installed but the printer screen did not show anything but blueish light. I contacted HP Support and was first on extended chat with ALEX. After trying everything he could think of, he informed me that I had not removed the plastic cover over the window and hung up. He was wrong, and I later tried Support again and got on Chat with SAM. We again went through everything and after what seemed like an eternity. He finally asked me to email him a photo of the printer window. Which I did.

The next day I contacted SAM again and he told me his supervisor would call me and asked what time “tomorrow” would suit me best. I said between 8 and 10AM. Several days passed and one evening at 9PM I got a call that the printer Window was defect and they would send me a new printer. After a week or so, I received the computer, not a new one but a refurbished one. I bought and paid for a new printer and after weeks of hassle, I end up with an older refurbished machine.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

A c/s rep who can't speak understandable English was the first hurdle. My printer not being in warranty apparently makes me a nonperson at HP. I was told I had to pay for a solution over the phone with no refund if it didn't work. Mostly the rep pushed me to "upgrade" to a new printer. Lousy, sucky service, will never purchase another HP product and will junk this printer for a different brand.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

Purchased a Samsung laser printer. The division was absorbed by HP. Wireless function on the printer has gone from sporadic to non-functioning. Setup was always far more complex than necessary. Now that it has stopped entirely, HP refers me to online help only, which is useless. Pro tip: Do not purchase Samsung or HP printers. Plenty of other reliable options out there with dedicated support that will help solve your problem.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

The HP printer consistently refuses to recognize compatible cartridges from manufacturers other than HP which makes the printer unusable. Of course HP wants the user to purchase their much more expensive cartridges and I don't need the added expense. My HP printer is now at my local county recycler and I have purchased a better printer for well under $100 from Brother. The new printer will pay for itself after 2 or three cartridge changes. Bye, bye HP.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

Will not stand behind their product. As a Real estate agent I need my printer and scanner daily. From the very first day I had problems with it. It went into fax mode, constantly went off-line, The printer rollers would not catch the papers something new every time. I spent hours on the phone with support until my time ran out and then was forced to join InstaJet in order to get any more help. Shortly after I bought it I had a heart attack, my life went on hold, and when I finally quit covered enough to go back to my printer saga, I was told my warranty ran out three months ago and they would not help me anymore. The machine is defective, frustrating and HP will not help, even after reviewing the many many phone calls for help, and taking into consideration that I had a heart attack during the year. Despicable! I will never buy or recommend HP again.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

I have purchased 2 HP printers that have failed to operate within 1 1/2 to 2 years from the time of purchase. I initially purchased the HP 4630 it failed, so I purchased the 6970 and it has also failed after 1 1/2 years of purchased. Contacted HP and was advised the warranty had expired and there is no further assistance they can provide. Please be advised, both printers were used in a limited manner for personal use, not used on a daily or even weekly basis. The operating failure for both printers is a manufacturing issue from HP. I cannot continue to replace printers that fail with limited use. The response from HP is extremely poor and unacceptable.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

I contacted HP about the Officejet 8720 printing horizontal lines through photos printed on glossy photo paper and was told something different every time I got to the next representative. Like many others on this discussion board I too have hit my limit with HP’s poor customer service and I will never give my hard earned money to HP again. We spent $400 on this printer and only had it just over a year. When I spoke with HP the last two times both a supervisor named Mark’s (badge # **) and case manager named Alejandra’s (HP Inc. AMS Consumer Escalations Team) resolution was to give me a $75 coupon so I could waste more money buying another piece of junk HP printer. I was also an HP instant ink customer, not anymore. Never again HP, and I will make it my mission to spread this news on every outlet I can get to post it, to warn other families so that they don’t make the same mistake buying from Hewlett-Packard.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

I purchased a laserjet printer...model M277DW. After 1 year and 1 month a little plastic part broke on the bottom and I was told it is not repairable. We had also purchased 5 extra ink cartridges that cost $104 each. It was so hard to actually talk to a human at HP. When I finally was able to reach someone they said the warranty on the printer expired. I was also told that I cannot return the 4 unopened ink cartridges because they have a 30 day return policy. OMG. So the printer that cost $547 and broke after 13 months is not repairable. And the ink cartridges that cost over $400 are not returnable.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

I owned a HP 2655 Home Printer and Subscribed to HP Ink service for more than a year. For about a year everything went well, until one day we ran out of ink, more than a month went by and never received any replacement cartridges. Had to go buy ink from another source and installed in our printer. Next day I received a E-mail from HP stating that they could not communicate with my ink cartridge and they also charged me my monthly fee for their service. I called and was told that it was an error on their behalf and ink cartridges were being shipped out immediately. Told the rep I planned on using my ink I paid for before using theirs since I paid for it. Was told that was ok.

Then they billed me a monthly fee for using the ink I purchased elsewhere. I called again and was told it's a service they provide and I still had to pay. I refused to pay them for ink I'm using that did not come from them. They then disable my printer so that it would not print with anybody's ink (theirs or mine). They also want me to pay them 3.25 to cancel my account. In the trash the printer goes and I will never own a HP product again! I'm out 54.95 plus tax for the ink I purchased from another source plus the cost of the printer because they can disable it, and they want me to pay them 3.25 to cancel. NEVER AGAIN HP. NEVER AGAIN!

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

The printer costed about $300. I immediately had to return and contact HP for a return as just after the date past the printer malfunctioned and had to be returned for another. Since then it has worked off and on. Loss of internet with strong signal, carriage jams, and the other day the auto feeder assembly broke. I took it twice to a HP repair shop. This last time the assembly wasn't available. I did find an 8500 ADF with lid on eBay purchased and when I tried to put it in same problem the blue plastic clip broke. It should have never broke in the printer due to no heat or sunlight exposed and only a piece of typing paper goes through the ADF one sheet at a time.

So I have over a hundred bucks for repair on an old printer. Even though this printer is used by businesses but if cheap plastic parts and parts that shouldn't break HP should honor some sort of warranty beyond the generic one. I am considering a cheap printer to just use for what I need or going away from HP to a more reliable printer which will last longer and ink isn't as expensive. If HP wants to reach out to make some sort of compromise then we shall see and the review would be updated.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

This is my third, and last HP printer. Out of the box they are great. My latest, a 2540 series all in one wireless, did as all do. It worked until the 90 day/1 year warranty expired. First the wireless stopped, then it just won't do anything. HP help is as useless as the printer itself. I know printers are not inherently a good or cost effective product, but it is a necessary tool for me. So, good or bad, I will NEVER buy another HP printer. If there is such a thing as a "ghost in the machine", HP is the evidence of it. Warranty dies, printer dies.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

It seems that HP has made it impossible for consumers to use lower priced, competitive, third party ink cartridges. My Envy 5540 will simply NOT work with remanufactured or "other brand" cartridges. Once the printer has "detected" a non-HP ink cartridge, even though it is a fully functional cartridge, it simply will not allow you to print anything. If one doesn't mind paying top dollar for ONLY brand new HP ink cartridges, then this is an "OK" printer, but I'm not "OK" with HP leaving me without choices that a consumer should be allowed to make when refilling the printer they have already purchased. I've dumped my HP Envy and now have a Brother HL-L2350.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

Very frustrated by my recent experiences. I own a painting company and I needed a new printer to print my contracts and estimates. Again, I am a painter - not an electrical engineer or computer programmer. I was simply looking for an easy-to-install basic printer that I could use while offline. No luck. I spent 45 minutes downloading drivers, testing the printer, following prompts to nowhere. Sick and tired of technology getting less and less user friendly. Is it too hard to ask for a printer I can plug in, connect to my computer, and use?

My 7000 series Deskjet is now smashed into 1000 pieces. It felt great. It smashes really easily, but yet parts do not fly out dangerously - so you can smash this printer with no protective gear required. I chose to pick it up above my head and drive it to the ground with as much force as possible. Again, it felt great. I then punted it into a wall - with no shoes on. This flimsy piece of plastic garbage disintegrated upon contact with my sock. Extremely gratifying. 2 stars.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

So let me get this straight - HP has allowed me to use my Officejet Pro 8600, in the past, to print black ink only when the color cartridges were out. However, now (due to software changes) they've decided to get greedy and ONLY allow you to print ANYTHING when you have ALL cartridges installed. When you attempt to print, you are greeted with a nice message telling you how you can easily click the link to go to HP's website to order more ink... this is an absolute SHAM and should be reported to the FTC as a predatory tactic! I don't want to hear HP's excuses on how it's set up to protect the printer by keeping it from damaging the print heads... that's a garbage excuse and doesn't fly!!

There was never a problem over-riding this option in the past, and I've even done it several times... all without ever damaging my printer! It's time to consumers to trash these underhanded and predatory companies, like HP, that think it's OK to do this type of behavior!! If you're looking for a quality product, stay away from HP!! I know I'm going to smash my HP printer with a sledgehammer and buy a printer from a company that doesn't subscribe to this way of doing business! I was forced to pick at least 1 star. However, in my opinion, HP and their ridiculous, underhanded, bait/switch tactics aren't even worth a one star review!!

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

I was unable to contact a live person to ask a question regarding my new printer. Chat is automated and useless. Telephone assistance not available. Goes in circles. I was able to get my question answered only by calling sales and pretending to be interested in purchasing the printer I now have. I have no issues with the product, but they're no help. HP asked for my review, which I submitted twice. They rejected both reviews because they didn’t like them.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

I bought two of these on sale at Target. Both are less than one month old and I have had 10,000 problems with both of them. The first one, if you touch the paper feed try to fill it, it will never work again. It spits out 500 pieces of paper even after shutting it off, removing jammed paper, unplugging it while on, uninstalling and reinstalling and 5000 more jammed papers requiring you to lift the lid, remove the paper and start over. It's brand new!!! Now, to scan, I have to turn it off, back on 20 times, then it doesn't recognize the USB, so off, on, off, on unplug 30 times and it works 1 out of 10 times. It's taking me 6 hours to scan 5 documents. The second printer won't print black, and then it does, and then it prints nothing. It's less than a week old and suddenly it prints! 5 pages, and nothing. The cartridges are brand new, I haven't printed 30 pages with it yet. DON'T BUY THIS PRINTER FOR $1. It's totally NOT WORTH IT!!!

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

The worst experience I have ever had. I will never buy another HP printer or all in one until the day I die. I brought this printer in 2017 April, according to the printer the scanner is jammed. Even though there is nothing in the scanner, so I called HP to do some troubleshooting. Which was basic turn it off and on again, that was listed online. That didn't help the problem, the customer service tech didn't even bother to find any different solution once I told him that I followed the troubleshooting that is listed online. Then they are telling me that the printer warranty was only for one year and in March 2018 the printer was over. Today is September 25 2018, the printer according to them is no longer working and the best they can do for me is offer me a upgraded printer for 400.00 dollars.

This is ridiculous service. Their printers don't last, expect to be paying for a new printer every year. In fact they have trained their customer service reps to be selling you a new printer versus fixing the problem that is wrong with the current one that you have. As I have stated before I will not be purchasing another printer from them. I have a Brother printer that is excellent and is still alive after 4 years.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

Attempting to set-up my Office Jet Pro 6968 printer. I attempted to download the 123 hp installation hardware. After several attempts I was unable to access the download. I called tech support and after explaining my situation, they indicated I had a "coding" issue with my devices and for $99. They could solve my problem. I refused the help. After contacting a local computer tech, he also attempted to download the installation hardware. It was difficult, but when I was finally successful, it was obvious all I had to do was set-up the Wifi on the printer itself. It took 5 min. and was free. HP tech support is provided by a sub contractor who has no knowledge of their product. I have found every problem is solved by them for $99 even if they don't know what they're talking about. Beware!

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

I cant say enough about how terrible my experience was with HP. I bought what I thought was a great printer an HP Office Jet 6830. After just 2 months of use it stopped printing ink. After hours and hours of online chatting, phone, and email they finally decided to send me a new printer under warranty. GREAT RIGHT? Wrong. I get a new one, works fine, then the first time I need to change the ink after spending over $100 on HP cartridges the same thing happens. This time I'm out of warranty so they literally make you PAY THEM for help to determine your printer is once again bad!! What kind of customer support is that. It's an embarrassment!

I decided to forcibly throw this HP printer in the garbage, went to my local superstore and purchased a Epson printer. My new Epson is cheap, works perfectly, and only took moments to set up. ALSO the HP installed tons of bloatware onto my computer, help programs that don't help, links to HP ink stores, HP this Hp that. DO NOT EVER BUY AN HP PINTER! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

I had bought an HP DeskJet Ink Advantage Printer 3636 in January, 2017. Within a year the printer started to malfunction. Such a poor quality of product, is not expected from a big brand. Even now, when I called up the support for a Care Pack, they took the payment but are not responding to my repeated requests. Support too is really terrible. I would advise everyone to not buy any HP Product.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

I bought HP devices (Pagewide 377dw & 452dw) for my business. When replacing the 4 toner cartridges (972A), I discovered HP has dynamic security BLOCKS you from using non-HP OEM cartridges. HP sells cartridges that cost 2 times other 3rd party compatible providers. Talk about trying to block free markets and rip-off consumers and small businesses! I would strongly recommend you look at Brother, Xerox or other companies providing business printing/copying/scanning solutions.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

A 2014 buy via TV shopping. Wanted HP reliability & TV bargain but problems with it ever since. Big mistake. Neither HP or the TV show were reliable—no more buys from either. Big and bulky, & unreliable. Poor customer service; more like Customer marketing. Lots of paper jams; especially with duplex printing. Often feeds multiple sheets of paper at once too. VERY expensive ink. Designed to push auto-buy & reject refilled ink cartridges; forcing EOM pricing. Built-in obsolescence; always pushing a newer model. HP Pop-ups on monitor that I can’t get rid of.

Limited/poor instructions make connections difficult for this “dummy” who had to troubleshooting several times a month. "Instant Ink" program made things worse... The printer only works while internet is working and printer is powered on. They "hijacked" my printer and pocketbook; sending ink when I didn’t need it. Sent disable messages to printer thru internet and then tried to sell other HP products whenever I complained about having troubles. Subscriptions canceled before ink cartridges are depleted force immediate ink purchase. Was told the program only works with regular usage—not for me because my use is too variable (some months little usage, some heavy).

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

I should have know better after the terrible experience I had with the notebooks but I purchased the all in one scanner/printer HP Officejet 4630. The scanner won't stay connected and I have to uninstall and reinstall it almost daily. And although the print is decent, the ink cartridge is expensive and prints few than 50 black and white typed pages before the 'ink low' messages start appearing. My old Lexus printed an entire book manuscript without that happening for half the cost. They run out the warranty pretending to care and then ignore me.

Hewlett Packard expert review by ConsumerAffairs

HP Printers are created by Hewlett-Packard, a large technology company founded in 1929 and headquartered in Palo Alto. The company manufactures and sells a wide range of printers in addition to laptops, desktops, tablets and more.

• Ink types: HP Printers come in a wide variety of ink choices, including laser printers, ink jets and more. This means the company is a good choice for people who are looking for a printer that uses nearly any type of ink.

• Community-focused: HP is focused on doing good in the world, and they are committed to environmental initiatives that can help strengthen the environment and improve the earth's future.

• Varying capacity printers available: The company has created a wide range of printers, from those that can handle a very high capacity, to small individual job printers. This makes it a good choice for anyone from large businesses to individual PC owners.

• Reputation: HP is one of the oldest technology companies that still creates and sells products, and their years of success have proven that they are a forward-thinking company that makes high-quality and well-regarded products.

• Accessories: The company sells a wide variety of accessories that can accompany printers and computers, so it is a convenient one-stop shop for those in the market for a printer.

• Best for: Large offices, homeowners with computers, photographers, students and schools.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs