3.64/5

Printer/Copier/Scanner/Fax

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

900 HP Printers Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

The printer costed about $300. I immediately had to return and contact HP for a return as just after the date past the printer malfunctioned and had to be returned for another. Since then it has worked off and on. Loss of internet with strong signal, carriage jams, and the other day the auto feeder assembly broke. I took it twice to a HP repair shop. This last time the assembly wasn't available. I did find an 8500 ADF with lid on eBay purchased and when I tried to put it in same problem the blue plastic clip broke. It should have never broke in the printer due to no heat or sunlight exposed and only a piece of typing paper goes through the ADF one sheet at a time.

So I have over a hundred bucks for repair on an old printer. Even though this printer is used by businesses but if cheap plastic parts and parts that shouldn't break HP should honor some sort of warranty beyond the generic one. I am considering a cheap printer to just use for what I need or going away from HP to a more reliable printer which will last longer and ink isn't as expensive. If HP wants to reach out to make some sort of compromise then we shall see and the review would be updated.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

This is my third, and last HP printer. Out of the box they are great. My latest, a 2540 series all in one wireless, did as all do. It worked until the 90 day/1 year warranty expired. First the wireless stopped, then it just won't do anything. HP help is as useless as the printer itself. I know printers are not inherently a good or cost effective product, but it is a necessary tool for me. So, good or bad, I will NEVER buy another HP printer. If there is such a thing as a "ghost in the machine", HP is the evidence of it. Warranty dies, printer dies.

Get expert buying tips about Printers delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

It seems that HP has made it impossible for consumers to use lower priced, competitive, third party ink cartridges. My Envy 5540 will simply NOT work with remanufactured or "other brand" cartridges. Once the printer has "detected" a non-HP ink cartridge, even though it is a fully functional cartridge, it simply will not allow you to print anything. If one doesn't mind paying top dollar for ONLY brand new HP ink cartridges, then this is an "OK" printer, but I'm not "OK" with HP leaving me without choices that a consumer should be allowed to make when refilling the printer they have already purchased. I've dumped my HP Envy and now have a Brother HL-L2350.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

Very frustrated by my recent experiences. I own a painting company and I needed a new printer to print my contracts and estimates. Again, I am a painter - not an electrical engineer or computer programmer. I was simply looking for an easy-to-install basic printer that I could use while offline. No luck. I spent 45 minutes downloading drivers, testing the printer, following prompts to nowhere. Sick and tired of technology getting less and less user friendly. Is it too hard to ask for a printer I can plug in, connect to my computer, and use?

My 7000 series Deskjet is now smashed into 1000 pieces. It felt great. It smashes really easily, but yet parts do not fly out dangerously - so you can smash this printer with no protective gear required. I chose to pick it up above my head and drive it to the ground with as much force as possible. Again, it felt great. I then punted it into a wall - with no shoes on. This flimsy piece of plastic garbage disintegrated upon contact with my sock. Extremely gratifying. 2 stars.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

So let me get this straight - HP has allowed me to use my Officejet Pro 8600, in the past, to print black ink only when the color cartridges were out. However, now (due to software changes) they've decided to get greedy and ONLY allow you to print ANYTHING when you have ALL cartridges installed. When you attempt to print, you are greeted with a nice message telling you how you can easily click the link to go to HP's website to order more ink... this is an absolute SHAM and should be reported to the FTC as a predatory tactic! I don't want to hear HP's excuses on how it's set up to protect the printer by keeping it from damaging the print heads... that's a garbage excuse and doesn't fly!!

There was never a problem over-riding this option in the past, and I've even done it several times... all without ever damaging my printer! It's time to consumers to trash these underhanded and predatory companies, like HP, that think it's OK to do this type of behavior!! If you're looking for a quality product, stay away from HP!! I know I'm going to smash my HP printer with a sledgehammer and buy a printer from a company that doesn't subscribe to this way of doing business! I was forced to pick at least 1 star. However, in my opinion, HP and their ridiculous, underhanded, bait/switch tactics aren't even worth a one star review!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hewlett Packard?

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

I was unable to contact a live person to ask a question regarding my new printer. Chat is automated and useless. Telephone assistance not available. Goes in circles. I was able to get my question answered only by calling sales and pretending to be interested in purchasing the printer I now have. I have no issues with the product, but they're no help. HP asked for my review, which I submitted twice. They rejected both reviews because they didn’t like them.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

I bought two of these on sale at Target. Both are less than one month old and I have had 10,000 problems with both of them. The first one, if you touch the paper feed try to fill it, it will never work again. It spits out 500 pieces of paper even after shutting it off, removing jammed paper, unplugging it while on, uninstalling and reinstalling and 5000 more jammed papers requiring you to lift the lid, remove the paper and start over. It's brand new!!! Now, to scan, I have to turn it off, back on 20 times, then it doesn't recognize the USB, so off, on, off, on unplug 30 times and it works 1 out of 10 times. It's taking me 6 hours to scan 5 documents. The second printer won't print black, and then it does, and then it prints nothing. It's less than a week old and suddenly it prints! 5 pages, and nothing. The cartridges are brand new, I haven't printed 30 pages with it yet. DON'T BUY THIS PRINTER FOR $1. It's totally NOT WORTH IT!!!

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

The worst experience I have ever had. I will never buy another HP printer or all in one until the day I die. I brought this printer in 2017 April, according to the printer the scanner is jammed. Even though there is nothing in the scanner, so I called HP to do some troubleshooting. Which was basic turn it off and on again, that was listed online. That didn't help the problem, the customer service tech didn't even bother to find any different solution once I told him that I followed the troubleshooting that is listed online. Then they are telling me that the printer warranty was only for one year and in March 2018 the printer was over. Today is September 25 2018, the printer according to them is no longer working and the best they can do for me is offer me a upgraded printer for 400.00 dollars.

This is ridiculous service. Their printers don't last, expect to be paying for a new printer every year. In fact they have trained their customer service reps to be selling you a new printer versus fixing the problem that is wrong with the current one that you have. As I have stated before I will not be purchasing another printer from them. I have a Brother printer that is excellent and is still alive after 4 years.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

Attempting to set-up my Office Jet Pro 6968 printer. I attempted to download the 123 hp installation hardware. After several attempts I was unable to access the download. I called tech support and after explaining my situation, they indicated I had a "coding" issue with my devices and for $99. They could solve my problem. I refused the help. After contacting a local computer tech, he also attempted to download the installation hardware. It was difficult, but when I was finally successful, it was obvious all I had to do was set-up the Wifi on the printer itself. It took 5 min. and was free. HP tech support is provided by a sub contractor who has no knowledge of their product. I have found every problem is solved by them for $99 even if they don't know what they're talking about. Beware!

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

I cant say enough about how terrible my experience was with HP. I bought what I thought was a great printer an HP Office Jet 6830. After just 2 months of use it stopped printing ink. After hours and hours of online chatting, phone, and email they finally decided to send me a new printer under warranty. GREAT RIGHT? Wrong. I get a new one, works fine, then the first time I need to change the ink after spending over $100 on HP cartridges the same thing happens. This time I'm out of warranty so they literally make you PAY THEM for help to determine your printer is once again bad!! What kind of customer support is that. It's an embarrassment!

I decided to forcibly throw this HP printer in the garbage, went to my local superstore and purchased a Epson printer. My new Epson is cheap, works perfectly, and only took moments to set up. ALSO the HP installed tons of bloatware onto my computer, help programs that don't help, links to HP ink stores, HP this Hp that. DO NOT EVER BUY AN HP PINTER! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

I had bought an HP DeskJet Ink Advantage Printer 3636 in January, 2017. Within a year the printer started to malfunction. Such a poor quality of product, is not expected from a big brand. Even now, when I called up the support for a Care Pack, they took the payment but are not responding to my repeated requests. Support too is really terrible. I would advise everyone to not buy any HP Product.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

I bought HP devices (Pagewide 377dw & 452dw) for my business. When replacing the 4 toner cartridges (972A), I discovered HP has dynamic security BLOCKS you from using non-HP OEM cartridges. HP sells cartridges that cost 2 times other 3rd party compatible providers. Talk about trying to block free markets and rip-off consumers and small businesses! I would strongly recommend you look at Brother, Xerox or other companies providing business printing/copying/scanning solutions.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

A 2014 buy via TV shopping. Wanted HP reliability & TV bargain but problems with it ever since. Big mistake. Neither HP or the TV show were reliable—no more buys from either. Big and bulky, & unreliable. Poor customer service; more like Customer marketing. Lots of paper jams; especially with duplex printing. Often feeds multiple sheets of paper at once too. VERY expensive ink. Designed to push auto-buy & reject refilled ink cartridges; forcing EOM pricing. Built-in obsolescence; always pushing a newer model. HP Pop-ups on monitor that I can’t get rid of.

Limited/poor instructions make connections difficult for this “dummy” who had to troubleshooting several times a month. "Instant Ink" program made things worse... The printer only works while internet is working and printer is powered on. They "hijacked" my printer and pocketbook; sending ink when I didn’t need it. Sent disable messages to printer thru internet and then tried to sell other HP products whenever I complained about having troubles. Subscriptions canceled before ink cartridges are depleted force immediate ink purchase. Was told the program only works with regular usage—not for me because my use is too variable (some months little usage, some heavy).

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

I should have know better after the terrible experience I had with the notebooks but I purchased the all in one scanner/printer HP Officejet 4630. The scanner won't stay connected and I have to uninstall and reinstall it almost daily. And although the print is decent, the ink cartridge is expensive and prints few than 50 black and white typed pages before the 'ink low' messages start appearing. My old Lexus printed an entire book manuscript without that happening for half the cost. They run out the warranty pretending to care and then ignore me.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

I bought an HP OfficeJet Pro X476dw MFP. After less than a year and half of VERY light usage (say under 20 prints per month). I get the message 'missing or failed printhead' about a month after I'd spent over $500.00 on new ink. More than I paid for the printer itself of course. I am pretty handy with this stuff. So I go about cleaning the printhead. Looking up a bunch of YouTube videos when that doesn't work. As a LAST resort I broke down and phoned HP Support. Since I knew how crappy and frustrating that experience would be.

HP stayed true to my expectations. Incredibly long waits and getting passed like a hot potato from one area to another each after more long waits. Finally I get through to a person who walks me through diagnostics and asks me to read the error code. When I read it back she admits it's a known HP flaw and there is NOTHING that can be done to fix it that isn't far more expensive than new printer. Since I don't have extended warranty... Too bad so sad. If I had used the printer more I probably would have broken down under warranty.

I'm offered a mild discount off MSRP that is FAR more expensive than the sale price at Staples or Best Buy on any given week. I'm out over $800.00 on this printer including printer and ink and they refuse to help at all. Losing my business alone for the rest of my life will cost them a lot more than $800.00. My bad opinion of HP to my colleagues, family, and friends will cost HP several thousand dollars in lost revenue. A shortsighted company, that refuses to do the right thing and make amends for their own poor product... Even when it's financially in their own best interests.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

The printer has only 21K prints (in two years) and started having issues with printing on the right side. HP says the head is good for at least 50K prints. Two different technicians looked at it and said it wasn't fixable. (parts cost more than a new printer). But then I called HP and the printer support technician is helping me "clean" the print head using the hidden menu special codes to clean it. So far I have performed the following sets of special cleaning maintenance codes (21, 23 and 22) multiple times and each time a little more of the print head comes back. There needs to be an easier way to do this... If it saves the printer though I will be happy. And there needs to be information about how often to do it and a way to program it to do this once a month, once a week, or once a day as needed to keep the printer working. It could do it automatically at midnight.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

I had a HP Photosmart before & Loved it. But it eventually would no longer feed paper so I purchased a HP ENVY ALL-IN ONE PRINTER. Took a little while to set up & get used to... But after a few times, I now have to continually reload the software to get the thing to work. Before that, there was no way to change the size of the paper you wanted to print on. Would not change from plain to photo paper until I reloaded the software... and now it seems to require this every time. Have yet to make a photocopy by just laying it on the screen... has to be scanned to card first & then printed. It is not used every day, maybe only 1-2 times per week but this is so annoying especially if you just need to print 1 page. Just takes too much time.

Original review: July 29, 2018

Don't bother with this printer (HP DeskJet 2540). It only prints every other line even after I tried every troubleshooting option online including cleaning the cartridge heads and contacts, uninstalling and re-installing with the most recent version, everything HP Print and Scan Doctor suggested, deleting the driver from the printer Server Properties, then deleting the printer from the Device and Printers, and then re-adding it again, and nothing worked.

Original review: July 24, 2018

I enrolled and ordered the 50 page $2.99 a month HP ink subscription on July 17, 2018, with a 3-6 day shipping. It's getting to me by FedEx on July 30, 2018!! That's not 3-6 days. That's a complete lie! That's 13 days. So I'm making a complaint with HP and BBB and wherever else I can.

Original review: July 9, 2018

I will never buy an HP printer again and I strongly suggest no one else buy one either. I feel like I have been SCAMMED by them. I only use my printer for black and white shipping labels but it has been using my color ink cartridges for black ink... And there is "no way" to fix that according to their overseas support team. HP you have lost a long time customer and I won't return due to your immoral business practices. Buying expensive ink is a SCAM and you know it. I'm going to tell all of my business associates to change their printers too, even if I have to buy them new ones. DON'T BUY AN HP PRINTER!!!

Original review: July 8, 2018

Recently purchased the HP Laserjet Pro MFP M26nw printer and have never been able to use it despite support. I have never experienced problems with a computer or printer as much as this printer. Support is useless. This printer would better serve as a boat anchor. It definitely soured my taste for any HP product in the future.

Original review: June 23, 2018

Have several HP ink jet printers, no laser printers. Usually they are very reliable. But when things start to go bad, problems seem to cascade.

Original review: June 23, 2018

The wireless HP Printer is at times very unpredictable and unreliable, Sometimes it takes a few days to print a coupon. Other times it works great. It doesn't seem to respond to the router, and even after calling customer service, they can't figure it out either. I've watched numerous videos on their website, but it still works sporadically. Plus, The Ink is expensive.

Original review: June 23, 2018

I have had this printer for about 3 years and have had no problems with it so far. I have even purchased another PC and was able to easily transfer the capability over to the new PC.

Original review: June 23, 2018

After trying lower priced machines, I bought HP’s Officejet Pro 8600. Print, photos & copies all perfect. It has been super reliable.

Original review: June 22, 2018

Does anyone else absolutely detest HP Printers? Absolutely the worst product experiences of all electronics I have bought. This printer which I just bought to replace another failed deskjet had to be replaced the minute I bought it... it missed half the lines on every printed page. The replacement is just as bad. Getting the paper loaded is a nightmare... it tries to suck down all the loaded pages and just will not correct itself no matter what I try to do. This is it for me... the very last product from HP I will ever buy. This company deserves to go out of business... soon!

Original review: June 22, 2018

HP OfficeJet Pro 6968 works fine. I can scan, copy documents and print wirelessly. Only issue, it can be noisy. Paper tray needs to be redesigned, to make it easier to remove. Lastly, seems to use up a lot of ink cartridges.

Original review: June 22, 2018

It's a printer much like the rest. It works well until you need it badly, and then it's out of ink. It works better than others I've owned but is also more expensive.

Original review: June 22, 2018

I have an HP all-in-one printer/scanner/copier which I've owned & used often since 2006 without any issues or problems to date. It is easy to use & very dependable. If anything ever happens to it I would want the same exact model.

Original review: June 22, 2018

For the price, I am not sure that I can find a printer with equal quality with the HP printer. There's ease of set-up, print and picture quality, both side printing, faxing and copying. The only thing I would change is size of the machine. It is largely odd.

Hewlett Packard expert review by ConsumerAffairs

HP Printers are created by Hewlett-Packard, a large technology company founded in 1929 and headquartered in Palo Alto. The company manufactures and sells a wide range of printers in addition to laptops, desktops, tablets and more.

• Ink types: HP Printers come in a wide variety of ink choices, including laser printers, ink jets and more. This means the company is a good choice for people who are looking for a printer that uses nearly any type of ink.

• Community-focused: HP is focused on doing good in the world, and they are committed to environmental initiatives that can help strengthen the environment and improve the earth's future.

• Varying capacity printers available: The company has created a wide range of printers, from those that can handle a very high capacity, to small individual job printers. This makes it a good choice for anyone from large businesses to individual PC owners.

• Reputation: HP is one of the oldest technology companies that still creates and sells products, and their years of success have proven that they are a forward-thinking company that makes high-quality and well-regarded products.

• Accessories: The company sells a wide variety of accessories that can accompany printers and computers, so it is a convenient one-stop shop for those in the market for a printer.

• Best for: Large offices, homeowners with computers, photographers, students and schools.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs