1.83/5

1356 HP Computers Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

I spent 45 minutes on the phone getting bounced between different departments and even bounced back to the same departments when trying to get something cleared up on an order I was trying to place. Long story short, I never actually got to talk to a human being or find a way of contacting anyone that could tell me about my order. I decided to just cancel my order, and if it magically showed up, I would return it. This has been the worst customer service and customer care of any business I have dealt with in my life.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

I purchased a laptop 2 years ago. It was/is HORRIBLY slow. 60 days or less into warranty period I called and gave detailed issues. Their rep assured me "that's normal." Windows 10 is so complex, it's naturally slow. I'd rather have 7 I told him then. Has only gotten worse with time. It takes sometimes as much as 40 seconds just to open simple apps like email, FB messenger, etc. Most of the time, takes 4 or 5 seconds just for characters typed to appear. Can't even log in right now. Nothing will enter into the address bar for my password.

Tried to call, tells you to hang up and go to website. Website not available it says. Call back, and finally get a human option. Starts explaining how it costs, blah blah, then a free option offered, press 2 for that, bammo, your call is over. If they can't rip you off, they want nothing from you. DO NOT, DO NOT, DO NOT, BY ANY HP PRODUCTS!!! CUSTOMER SERVICE IS WORSE THAN COMCAST AND PRODUCTS ARE GARBAGE!!!

Want to claim this page for your business? Learn More
Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

I am using original cord provided with HP laptop. A few months ago I am getting annoying popups from HP support telling me I need to replace with an original HP Smart adapter, I am assuming at my expense. So I go to their website to find this cord they say I need desperately, surprise they cost anywhere from $25 then they jump up to $70 and more and I get to pay the shipping! I have purchased 3 HP laptops because of price and have had major $$ issues and tons of frustration with the first 2 and now this. I have decided not to buy this HP's another way to rip off their customers and spend more on a no-HP laptop product that is not designed to rip off consumers.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

My new upgraded HP27QD 8th Gen 6 Core 32 GB Ram, 1 TB HDDm 572 GB arrived December 15, 2018. My bad, I had forgotten to check the box, install Windows 10 Pro. So I bought the license from Microsoft Pro and did a clean install--right out of the box, after disabling McAfee. Then I installed office and began. My Logitech keyboard starting typing backward and so did the on-screen keyboard--and the camera and photo apps were crashing. After Microsoft valiantly worked with me for about six hours, I called Logitech, a quick fix got the keyboard working and then I called HP (I had also bought the super warranty, on-site and dedicated phone support) Confidently told, it's Windows 10 Pro. This is a computer for home use, cannot run 10 Pro. Odd, it's offered as an option. Only if it's built in.

So three days later and a factory reset that failed with a download onto a new 32GB flash drive and a promise that a Microsoft rescue drive which would arrive after the New Year because tech support liked to celebrate New Year's (honest!) which failed, they agreed maybe it was a hardware error. They sent a box and managed to pick it up Monday, January 7--It's now back on a bench at HP. I thought, since they had to reinstall an operating system and probably a new bios if they have to replace the hard drive they could be an install of Windows 10 Pro--after all hardware is a blank slate isn't it? (I would pay for the upgrade) Well, HP's hardware apparently isn't.

Today, Thursday, January 10th, supervisor Saman, he said I could quote him, told me that the system was built to run on Windows 10 Home. I could upgrade and do an install to 10 Pro but it would invalidate my warranty and probably crash the machine. And what have they diagnosed as the problem, I inquired. I was informed that would be included in the paperwork when the machine was presumably returned on January 15th!

So I've concluded that HP cannot guarantee the stability and reliability of a $2300 machine that promises to be sufficiently powerful to handle usual home office workloads (I am not a gamer and graphics and streaming are of no interest) and what about the routine upgrades of Windows 10 and the regular patches--will they crash the system and invalidate warranties. The moral of the story I guess is remember to check all the boxes or don't buy the HP Envy if you plan to upgrade or add software as basic as Windows 10 Pro.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

I my computer is about a year old, and the power button went bad. First, let me start with, I have a bachelor’s in computers and have worked for a few repair companies which will remain nameless for this review. I checked my warranty, which was still good until the end of January 2019 and at the time of issue, it was yearly December 2018. When I called the service, the technician told me that my software would not be damaged and they could fix my power button. However, I received a call stating that my laptop would not be covered because it appeared to be dropped and had multiple issues (broken power button, a cracked cover, broken LCD screen) for which they wanted to charge me over $600 on an $800 computer. I missed the call but called back less than a minute after missing call and went straight to voicemail.

I eventually got a hold of a representative to whom I explained that my computer has never been drop and that it was only going in for button repair. The representative then lied to me saying that they do an extensive inspection when damage is found to ensure that it did not happen in their possession, but when I ask for a copy of the report, she then retracted her statement. The representative then proceeded to place the request in again to fix power button, but I received another call later stating that they would give me a 30% discount to repair computer but would not without payment. I fear when my laptop returns it will be more damage than when I sent it in. What I want to know is what legal right to open my display case to inspect my screen. The top and bottom have different casings.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hewlett Packard?

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

We are a business and tried multiple times to get a technician to come out and fix our printer which by the way is not even a year old and already having issues. They kept pushing back the date and every time we called a representative to let them know our issue, they were rude and kept transferring us. I was transferred 6 times! Because no one knew why a technician wasn't coming to our location and couldn't tell us why the delay. It was a stressful situation not to mention we are business that use computers and printers EVERYDAY. This was such a inconvenience for our office and have decided we will no longer purchase from HP.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

I ordered the HP Zbook Studio x360 G5, roughly a $2600 workstation laptop. These laptops are to gain customers in the creative workspace, i.e. photographers, video editing, design... I received my laptop, set it up, and immediately starting having issues. First, the screen would go dark, as if it were going to sleep, during setup. During this process, the keyboard was responsive, but the screen was not, this required a power cycle.

Then after finally setting up the computer, I installed my photo editing software. This software was the only application running, yet the laptop sounded like it was going to blow up. I understand a workstation will be noisy, but this was excessive. After hooking up an external hard drive, it was discovered to have a faulty USB port. Then upon trying to edit pictures, using the CTRL key to select multiple photos, the CTRL key kept getting stuck down.

During all of this, the computer still had the screen go back, which required constant restarting of the laptop. I call HP, I get my repair ticket open, I receive the return box in a timely manner which includes overnight shipping back to HP. I want to say HP would NOT let me buy a care pack where a tech would come to my house until AFTER this issue is fixed, even though it was a factory defect and I sat through a screen sharing session with the tech. I was told I would have FIVE DAY turn around time. That sounded reasonable.

I have had zero contact from HP, so I reach out to them in what's going into the 3rd week. They couldn't tell me what was being fixed without submitting a request and was told they would call back with details. However, they were able to tell me my part was on back order and an expected return date of 1/8/18. All of this took some time, as the original tech put my email in the system incorrectly so my case number and email address was not syncing up in the system. During this entire process, not one person contacted me from HP.

Here it is, 1/8/18 and I log into the system to see my computer return date is now expected to be 1/14/18. HP received my laptop on 12/21/18 with a 5 day turn around. It will be nearly a month before I get it back, assuming I even get it back, and again with ZERO communication from HP letting me know what happened. This is awful customer service and an awful process preventing me from doing the work I intended to do with one of their workstations. I photographed an event two weeks ago, where my photos are essentially useless now as people have moved on and other tournaments have taken place. They have cost me time and money, and not so much as an apology has been issued from HP.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

I personally contact HP by phone & request 2 laptops that I want personally built my way. One is for me, the other a gift for my mother. I spend just a little over $2,000. What I received was nothing as I ordered. When I finally got a response they told me that prices are subject to change & suggested I order something in my price range. A total slap in the face after spending $2,000 & not getting what I ordered.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

My HP laptop computer crashed after upgrading to latest Windows 10, I called HP Tech support and was charged $49.99 for the Smart Friend Team Support service. I was instructed to follow email link for the HP Recovery USB download, but for whatever reason the software did not work or incomplete, the tech support recommended HP Recovery USB flash drive for another $49.99 to send by mail. But, I disagreed to be charged again, so I requested cancellation of service and a refund.

Three (3) days after, the HP department concluded and decided not to refund me the $49.99 to my credit card because according to them the tech support was initiated and my computer was not able to download the HP Recovery software due to my slow computer, therefore it's my fault. The HP department or customer service refused to refund my $49.99 charged to my credit card, knowing the technical support services was not completed or fulfilled. I am giving the HP Technical Support a triple zeros (000) ratings and a warning to the public regarding their tactics or scam to charge the client, even when the so called services was not complete or was not done due to computer download errors.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

I submitted my review of this product a few days ago, and when I went to turn on my computer this morning, it was completely locked up. I called customer service who suggested I go online to fix the problem (can't do that without the computer). Finally spoke with someone in Tech Support who couldn't help and transferred me to someone else. He asked for my case number and I told him I wasn't given one. He was not very knowledgeable and just about when I was going to ask to speak with a supervisor, we were disconnected. I couldn't call back since I had no idea who I was talking to. He had asked for my phone number, but never bothered to call back to reconnect. The only thing worse than my bad experience with this HP product, is my experience with customer service. Don't bother to pay for the HP Care Pack; it's about as useful and my new computer!

Original review: Jan. 1, 2019

Bought HP Spectre x360 15t 16GB RAM 8th Gen i7 for school. Not satisfied. Unfortunately, I will be returning this laptop because of crashing problems. The laptop often restarts and crashes randomly on battery mode as other online reviews pointed out. Discrete Radeon RX Vega M 4GB graphics is very complicated to use and not worth it.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

My wife barely used the brand new laptop I purchased for her in early 2018. She complained that it was just too slow. She just kept bringing home her work laptop. We're both so busy so I didn't bother doing much about it. On Black Friday 2018 I decided to see if I could find her a new laptop. When I was researching I compared with the specs of the HP and discovered it should have had no performance issues. On a whim I called HP, wasted many hours with two different people. Finally, the technician said to send it in and that is was still under warranty. Wonderful!!!

No. Complete waste of time. The laptop that never worked well, that we barely used was claimed to have water damage. The extended warranty I paid for wouldn't actually help with this. I was assured that I would be emailed pictures. These never came. I was assured that I could have them recycle the computer since it was worthless to me. That email never came either. The individual also said that she would talk with her boss to 'see what we can do' to make things right. Yeah, I'm sure she took the time... Don't waste your time. If your computer is a dud, HP is not going to take care of you.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

Hi, I spoke to a Bella with Customer Tech support. Told her my name was Paul, and she kept on saying, "Ma'am, ma'am, ma'am." Very insulting. In addition the technical support team was unable to help me without paying. I'm never purchasing anything HP again. Thanks for nothing.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

I purchased a laptop computer a few months ago. When it no longer would connect to the WIFI, I wasted 3 hours with 3 people, with two of them trying to sell me more stuff. Apparently to get the help I needed I would have to pay for it on a brand new computer. They wouldn't even accept a return. I will never buy HP anything again.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

I purchased a laptop model 15-BW089AX (2VR53PA#ACJ)-HP on 17th May, 2018. Since the purchase the laptop has developed a snag which has not till date rectified by your technician even trying for 5 times. Latest it has been checked and repaired by your technician today morning. The laptop continuously hangs thus hampering the smooth functioning. I am not at all satisfied with the product and have mentally and financially suffered a lot due to this faulty machine. You are requested to please change my machine or refund my money. This mail purports to be a notice of default in service and breach of trust to you for selling me a faulty product. Looking forward to get new machine or refund from you.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

This was from HP after I "rated their service". "Our staff has read your review and values your contribution even though it did not meet all our website guidelines. Thanks for sharing, and we hope to publish next time!" Down below was my experience. I bought this laptop on Cyber Monday. It just arrived on Dec. 18. It was a present for my mom so I wanted it to be set up for her. So I plugged it in, booted it up, got everything going, shut it down. About 10 mins later I remembered I wanted to change the time for her. Plugged it in, booted it up, typed in password & a blank black screen came up. Let that sit for an hour. Turned it off, tried again, same thing.

I'm frustrated at this point so I go to customer service to do an exchange. The agent tries to get me to talk to tech support for 10 minutes. I JUST GOT IT. I'm not dealing with tech support on a brand new laptop! & I'm def not making my mom deal with it! So again after 10 minutes she says I can return it. Thank you... I have to print off a return label, drive an hour+ to a nearest FedEx drop off, & my mom won't have a Christmas present because I won't get a refund until laptop is returned. Worst buying experience I have ever dealt with. Will NEVER buy or recommend HP to anyone.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

On November 22, 2018, I purchased the following product or service (Order #**): I have ordered HP Z2 Mini G4 Workstation - Customizable (product code 3AQ00AV_MB). Original cost of the product was $2,445.0 I ordered it during Black Friday week and I got $855.75 (35%) discount as a part of deal. Total $1694.54 has been debited from bank account. I ordered this product on Nov/22/2018 and due to product was customized, the expected delivery date was Dec/13/2018. I did not received any communication on why product is not yet shipped. HP took my 4 weeks of time and $1694.54 and did not delivered the purchased product.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

Bought as a gift and the recipient was pleased to begin with. After a few days of use, I started to receive complaints about how slow it was running. Didn't think that was possible after such a short time. I looked into it to see what they did but it wasn't anything that the user did. It's the amount of unnecessary bloatware that HP installs into the product. I took the time and went in to uninstall all of the ridiculous apps that just were not needed. Also, I had to go into the application management and disable at least five applications from running on start up. With what little RAM this computer has, this is almost a must do to keep the computer working at a decent speed.

After all of that was said and done, the computer works well. I am sure that this problem is with all HP PCs. As for the delivery I can't say that it was the greatest. It stated 3-6 business days from the day of shipment. I am not sure about the rest of the people on here but I get a little upset if it isn't delivered within that time frame and all I get for a response is an "our apologies". Sorry doesn't really well cut it when you drop a few hundred dollars on a product and it doesn't show up the date projected, even when that date projected was changed twice! I also received a response saying that it is out of their hands after it is shipped. I highly disagree.

A company that offers free shipping is one that is paying that shipping fee or has an agreement with the shipping company under contract but is still paying in one way or the other. If my customer's shipment was late, I would be into contact with the shipping company to figure out what was going wrong and how to expedite that late shipment. That would be a much better solution than offering no answer except for saying I am sorry, restating the shipment delivery date that you already obviously know because that's why you're contacting the customer service, and then doing nothing about it.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

I started setting up my new laptop 2 days ago. I inadvertently set it up with the wrong email address. I contacted HP customer support. After transferring me twice I was told I would have to pay $170.00 for them to help me. After I hung up on him I asked the search box and changed it in 2 min. Very, very disappointed.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

I purchased a HP Envy x360 and paid around $1000 around Aug, 2017. Few months ago, I noticed the video screen near the left hinge came off - computer is working fine after I put a tape up the screen. I took it to Best Buy where I purchased it, paid $85 to diagnose the problem. Geek Squad told me it was a known HP issue and would cost over $500 to fix. They asked me to talk to HP. I opened a case ** with HP and talked to them this morning. They basically said, too bad, my laptop is out of support. I need to pay for the parts and get it repaired by myself. They will not cover for their poor workmanship. So I said, when there is a defect found in the car, manufacturer recalls to fix it even if the car may be out of warranty. So my advice to all HP buyers be aware and please do your research before buying a piece of junk.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

Purchased a HP 15 scarlet red laptop Intel Pentium Silver processor N5000 500GB Hard Drive, Windows 10, 15.6 on 8/26/2018. The only thing good I can honestly say about it, is it is a pretty shade of red. Almost from the start I've had issues, lagging, it is super slow, but the constant updating over and over, to the point where it is a useless paperweight. To get it to work I have to remove the battery and put it back in or it will not turn on at all. I have had this for about a little over 4 months, I don't expect this to last a year. From the online reviews I've read it will be a waste of my time to reach out to them, since other customers are frustrated with the runaround, so this will be the last HP product I will ever purchase, what a waste of $300+.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

Do not purchase a HP computer! I bought this computer a year ago (laptop) as a Christmas present! I have had access to the computer for less than a year! I don’t have the receipt, so they won't help AT ALL! Also, I have used the computer for less than a year; needless to say, it needs a new hard drive! Awful experience! Spend the extra bucks and buy a better brand. My kid is so disappointed, but this will NEVER happen again! #1st time ever writing a product review... Yes, it’s my worst experience ever! I’m a single parent. I Do Not have money to GIVE HP! Also, as a computer company if you can pull up when the computer was assigned an HP registry, you can clearly see that it’s been used less than a year! Honor your word!?

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

Last year for Christmas I bought an HP laptop with mileage plus points. It was a terrible time and money wasting mistake. Clearly they allocate their duds to this program. It has been a year now, I have tried anything, I am left with a pile of junk. At one point a tech opened it and said that it had been meddled with as many wires were no longer connected. Thanks HP!

I am thinking of filming a review where I end the laptops life with a baseball bat. I wasted 50,000 points so I figure that this should bring me a little value for my money as their customer service is beyond terrible. I have lost too much of my life already to this endeavor, If I can save one more person from the HP laptop trap, that would bring me some holiday joy.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

I never write reviews, but I am just so fed up with my "new" Hewlett-Packard "all in one" computer that I had to write something. Yes, that is 0 stars - I had to put in one star but wanted to put zero. I purchased this computer to replace my 12 year old Sony Vaio laptop computer, which was beginning to slow down and was really somewhat no longer up to date. Having said that, I am largely back using that Sony. It is lightning fast compared to this piece of garbage HP I purchased. The issues I have come across with this HP computer are too numerous to list, but among that most annoying is it constantly shutting down windows that I have open. I will go away for a small period of time and come back and every window I had open has been closed, in fact, the browser itself has been closed! It also is as slow as can be imagined despite being new.

I am using my tablet for e-mail now, as this POG (piece of garbage) HP is so slow that I can go away from my computer for five minutes after hitting delete on an e-mail and come back and that e-mail still hasn't been deleted. Also, it is constantly saying websites are not responding or the Internet is not connected, despite the computer saying that it is connected to the internet and my other computer or tablets located in the same place having no issues on that front. I could go on for pages with the various issues with the computer. I have a brand new anti-virus program on the computer that says it is clean, so that is not the issue.

Anyway, I would recommend NEVER purchasing an HP computer, in fact, while looking for a computer for my son, I specifically ignored all HP computers. This computer is slower than my 12 year old laptop and among the ten or so computers I have owned over the year (starting with a Commodore 64), all of which have had various bugs, this is far and away the worst I have ever owned. It is funny, on the front of the computer it says "Redesigned Reliable Ready For You". This is false advertising if I have ever seen it. Please heed my advice and stay away from these computers and you will save yourself from wanting to throw the computer, keyboard, etc., through your window!

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

I order a laptop directly from HP and have not received satisfactory service with anyone so far. I needed a laptop and even with me paying extra for faster delivery, they couldn’t meet their promise. They were suppose to deliver by the 4th of December 2018 when I placed the order and I paid extra to have it delivered within “2 to 4” business days. When the order completed it had the estimated delivery as the 7th of December 2018. This would have still met my needs.

Then on the 5th of December 2018 they moved the estimated arrival date to the 10th of December 2018. Which would be too late. They then tried to get me to pay for another laptop that had a little less features but I could have lived with it but they wanted me to pay for it before refunding me for the undelivered laptop. I will not try to order another laptop from this company directly and I am considering another companies laptop altogether. This company does a poor job at customer satisfaction.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

The first problem came within the first month, when the CD/DVD player "swallowed" a CD. Nowhere on any HP website did I find directions on how to open the computer to get the CD out. I finally used a Korean-language video and I followed notes on the fix (which involved a screwdriver and a credit card). The computer freezes constantly -- it will freeze with the last screen showing any time I stop typing, any time I have more than three tabs open, or sometimes just for the hell of it.

NOTHING works to shut it down except unplugging it and plugging it back it (no ctrl-alt-del, no shaking the mouse, not even loud profanity). It only has 4 USB ports, and does not work with extensions -- I am constantly unplugging one component and plugging in another. This computer is among the worst expenditures of money I ever made, with the possible exception of a '64 Dodge Polara I bought when I was young and foolish. Do not buy an All-in-One computer. I'm stuck with this garbage, since I am not one who can spend that kind of money with any frequency. I certainly won't buy another HP product of any kind.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

I’m having pretty much the worst experience with my new HP laptop. After sending it away for a repair of a power button - a repair that they promised would not involve the software or my data in any way - my computer came back more than a month later with the disc completely wiped, and the computer taking 20 minutes to boot up each time it had to restart as I installed my programs. When I first got the laptop, this was an issue as well, and a tech rep spent many hours on the phone with me updating drivers, BIOS, etc so I wanted to start with doing the same exercise again.

I just waited 30 minutes on hold for tech support, only to have the rep tell me to send it in for repair AGAIN. When I explained that I believed that software updates would help the problem, as it did the first time, the rep HUNG UP on me. Called back and after 30 more minutes on hold, got the same rep (tonight the rep Name of the Night is Shaun). This time he transferred us to a spam site selling life alert buttons. Outrageous. And 30 minutes later again, the new rep (Alan) hung up before my husband got two sentences out. The reps hang up - on my polite, patient husband. Where do we turn? This is just a disgrace.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

I am so very disappointed with the HP Laptop. I bought my Laptop in 2017 and as it completed its 1 year of Warranty period, it started giving an issue. The thing which hurt most is I paid all amount when I bought this laptop and if I am not wrong I paid nearly £700, as I bought a year of McAfee antivirus as well. The issue with my Laptop is having is the Power On problem. I googled a lot about it and tried to fix the problem but being unsuccessful, I took it to the shop to get this fixed and horrible bit is the issue is still remain.

Everyone suggest me to sell my Laptop but I know I am not going to get good price for my laptop. I am so frustrated and angry because I might have totally used this Laptop very few time. I would never ever will recommend to buy HP laptop to anyone. Please if anyone is reading this review, Please don't even make a mistake to even think about of buying it. I had no choice apart of selecting 1 star. If I would have been given a choice I would give rating in minus(-).

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

Purchased an HP Stream Laptop 6 months ago. As with all laptops it required system updates. The updates started on the PC and when it restarted it stated it did not have enough memory and now will not move past the sign in screen without an error stating windows\system32\config\systemprofile\desktop is unavailable. There is not an option to do a factory reset as it did not come with any set up software and can not navigate past the error. Naturally I went to HP Support for help where they told me I needed to contact another support area to sign up for a subscription for a nominal fee to get help. Really? The system is defective and built to not handle updates needed.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

Like the four thousand other people who have complained about broken hinges on HP's Support Community this year alone, my laptop hinge broke after 3 years of extremely careful use. Despite paying to ship the laptop out to get it "repaired" this summer, the hinges broke again three months later. Customer service refused to have it repaired again for free or to give a discount on a new laptop. This is the second HP laptop my family has had that was rendered useless because of a broken hinge. Clearly, they do not build their laptops to last (even though this laptop was a "higher-end" machine at $1200). At that price point, you can buy a MacBook that will last 5-8 years. Save yourself the trouble and don't buy an HP.

HP Computers Company Information