HP Computers

Compare Computer Brands

Research top Computer Brands recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Had laptop 2months or less screen messed up. I called customer service and was told out of warranty which was crazy. Talk to supervisor all representatives with broken English but I'm not one to judge that. Got the run around until I was just fed up and gave up. Now I have a laptop that's sitting up collect dust. Such a waste of money. Sigh.

I am extremely frustrated by HP's service and refusal to help customers even when it is HP's own mistake. I used to have a lot of faith in HP's laptops due to their good specifications and moderate prices but I had really bad experiences recently... I ordered an Envy laptop that arrived after almost a month which was understandable since they gave me that estimated time to begin with. But the laptop had a problem with hard disk and after an HP tech representative couldn't solve it, I was advised to exchange the product...

I placed an order for a new laptop which arrived after 1 and a half week but that new laptop also has a problem with touchpad now. Upon chatting with a representative, they said I would have to send the laptop back for about a week to get it fixed. I told them I have a lot of college work that I can't do without my laptop but They refused to provide on-site service without charging me for it... Extremely frustrating experience... For almost 2 months I have been experiencing issues now and they are not helpful enough to expedite the process to get my product fixed. I don't trust HP products anymore and would likely not buy one in future.

I bought a HP Envy 2 years ago in May 2015. Had it for one mo. when had trouble. Called HP and they fixed it. A few mos. later had more trouble. I could not shut my computer down. It kept saying it was going to crash. Well called HP again. This time they said it’s not covered I would have to pay 300.00 for a 3-year contract. Which I bought because I did not even have this a year and paid over 1000.00 for it. They fixed it and said now it would be covered even if I drop it. Well it was good for about 6 mos. same thing happens again. This time they told me it was not covered and it was a virus and I would have to pay another 300.00 for them to fix it. I called them 3 times. They got real nasty yelled at me. Said that they could not do anything unless I paid them 300.00.

I was not giving them another dime as this computer not 2 years old yet and it was to be covered 3 years. So I took it today and it cost me 137.00 to get it fixed there. HP told me my virus was no good today. The man said nothing wrong with the virus plan I have. I think once they get in your computer to fix it they keep doing things to it that you have to call them to fix it. And they just want more money every time, they are a big rip-off. I will never buy another HP. Had a desktop and now laptop and had nothing but trouble.

I bought this computer Pavilion Desktop 510 - A010 in October 2016 and it has given me problems ever since. I have contacted HP support twice and have allowed them to remotely fix my computer and still it's a piece of crap. I have minimal things that I have downloaded. I know other people who have HP computers and they don't have any issues, but this one is the worst computer I have ever owned.

This printer (HP X476 All In One Printer) cost a great deal of money and requires very expensive ink. It is relatively new, my warranty just ran out about two months ago. I downloaded the repair manual and followed several steps to fix my printer issues. Only about a quarter of black ink is visible on each side of the page, the rest is just an empty block. I called HP support and they wanted to charge me $39 to walk me through the repair manual. How ridiculous! They have so many complaints. A problems with their products that they have to charge to have people repair them themselves? I am truly appalled.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hewlett Packard?

Purchased a HP Pavilion laptop on April 18, 2015. Has not been used much. Checking e-mails a couple times a month. Hard drive died. I had HP run diagnostics and proved it (initially wanted $59.95 to do so). Said they could fix it for $400.00. They won't send software either (unless it's paid for). Will be pursuing Maine's Implied Warranty Law thru the Attorney General. Will never purchase HP products again... ever.

My son bought me the HP laptop for Christmas 2015 From Best Buy. Took it in almost a year later because the letters i, k & 8 don't work, have to add pressure sometimes over a minute. They told me to just reset the computer to factory setting. Have done that now multiple times, Doesn't work. What can I do to get this fixed. Any recalls on this product? Ready to trade this in now!

Hello HP. 1 month ago, I ask to repair my boys laptop as the power socket was broken. I never asked for any replacement screws, only to fix broken power. I had 2 phone calls from Hp telling me that the repair is ongoing. Not one time did anyone inform me that you are replacing screws of which there was 2 screws missing from the outside of the case.

Finally I got a call that I can collect the laptop. When I got there I was given a bill that included over 2,000 THB for replacement screw set!!! Again, I never asked for this to be replaced. The tech guy in your Phuket town office says they order screws from Singapore and I must pay!!! I told him to look at the repair request and show me where I ask for any screws and that 2,000 THB for screws is ridiculous.

I spent almost 1 hour in this shop trying to contact your English speaking support. Every number I dial says press 1 for English yet never anyone speak English, only put me on hold for almost one hour then put the phone down on me. Is this how you treat your customers??? In all HP Thailand, you have not one English speaking person even though you offer English in your phone menu, unbelievable!!!

The Tech says "ok, I send laptop back to Bangkok and take out screws"!!! I says “no, I don’t waste my time and need the laptop for my boys school. It is HP mistake to replace screws and not once inform me of this additional work and price that again, I did not ask for”. I could see that I am not getting any sense from anyone at HP no matter what office or number I called, no English speakers so I paid 3,000 THB and left the shop as my boy was waiting for me to collect him from school. HP technician threaten me to call the police and I told him he should because this is a fraud case so let them contact me. I truly cannot believe that HP Thailand has the audacity to charge over 2,000 THB for a few screws that I never asked for. I can fly to Singapore for 2,300 THB and you charge me this for screws!!! Checking on Ebay, I can buy a set of OEM replacement screw set for less than $10 instead of HP's cost of $58.00 (2,000 THB).

My husband bought me an HP laptop as a gift (We have warranty). My screen ended up having a crack! Well wouldn't you know that's not COVERED!! I have to pay $498 for repairs on a $596 laptop. So let's break this down... In 33 days (because of course it's been a process until today) I have to spend $1,000 on a laptop that I bought insurance for! With no remorse with no actual help but oh so willing to take my money?!? Yeah, no! I would never recommend HP to any buyer! I was very disappointed in the way this was handled, Shame on HP! You are basically stealing our hard working money!

I never get the extended warranty since problems usually arise within the limits of the one year warranty. I'm sorry now. I bought an HP Pavilion laptop 17' a little over 2 years ago from QVC who gave me lifetime fix on the computer. A little after the warranty expired the problems started. First the paint on the keyboard came off and I couldn't see what the letters were (had to buy stickers). Then, the battery only lasts about 20 minutes, then the port on the one side won't work. But, my biggest problem is that there is a green or red film on the screen whenever you wake it up from sleep that takes a few minutes before it clears enough to see the screen.

Called my 'lifetime' fix, was on hold for an hour only to be told it is a hardware problem and the fix is only for software. Called HP and they said I had to send it back and it would be about $159 to fix. Filed a complaint with the BBB and HP just called and said they quoted me the wrong price. It would be over $350 to fix but they would give me a 30% discount. When I said that was too much they said they would give me $75 off a new HP computer. Can't stop laughing that they think I would ever buy HP again. This is my fourth computer (the others lasted at least 6 years) but first and last HP.

I contacted HP. My laptop was purchased 8/15/16, it is only 7 months old and should still be under warranty. I got transferred 5-6 times and they state that it is a software issue and I needed to pay $50 upfront and then $15/month. I was told it is a software issue. I don't know how they can say that when they have not even looked at the computer at all. Now I have a worthless metal box that cost me over $500 and it should be under warranty. HP does not stand behind its products or warranties. I will never ever purchase another HP product in my life. Very poor customer service provided. This computer was purchased for college now what am I to do.

I used to think very highly of HP but that changed when I bought an hp notebook 15. It had problems updating the bios menu and caused it to be useless unless I installed Windows 10 from a flash drive which I did. I talked to customer service about it. But they were rude and argued a lot. My laptop now randomly crashes and I had to reset it for the 6th time since the start of 2017. Hp doesn't care about their paying customers. They just want your money.

I bought the HP Pavilion all-in-one desktop computer about a year and half ago at Costco. The computer itself is a piece of **. The first time when I encountered the issue, called HP, sent it back for repair. Got the computer back. Still didn't work. Called the HP. Sent it back for repair. Got the computer back again, then still have the problem. I called HP and asked them if they can either return my money or just simple to send me a new computer for the same model, I'll be just fine with that. But the case manager said that it's not an option. My option at this point is now sending it back for repair. If after this 3rd time, the computer still does not work, they will refund me the money but will prorate the refund. REALLY? FOR REAL? THIS PIECE OF ** was defect from the day one. I couldn't use it for my business and he said prorate my refund? NEVER any HP PRODUCTS.

My HP Envy that is 15 months old and 3 months out of warranty hard drive just died. After calling tech support and paying $60, they confirmed it was dead. They refunded the service call cost and informed me that the new hard drive will cost $450!!! It's only 15 months old!!! I say, "Sorry sir, out of warranty and no extended warranty. Do you want to purchase a new hard drive?" Uh, no. Thanks for nothing HP, what a piece of garbage. First and last HP product I ever buy. Should've headed online warnings about poor hard drives, but assumed that quality had improved. Nope.

I was trying to download printer software from their site for my model and version of Linux. I could not find my model number so I decided to call HP support to see if they could help. The first time the call was misdirected. The second time, the agent claimed he couldn't hear me. The third time, I was told that they couldn't answer my question because my printer was no longer under warranty and I'd have to pay $20 for help or buy another printer over the phone.

3 years ago I updated from my Dell computer to HP because MS would no longer support XP. I updated a month later to a different HP printer so I could print from any device. (And there wasn't anything wrong with printer that I replaced). I have had nothing but trouble from the computer since day 1. The 2 devices would not recognize each other in printing, esp e-printing. I called HP tech support; of course their so-called customer service answered and opened a repair ticket. Then she connected me to a tech (at least he was supposed to be). He worked on the problem remotely little more than an hour. Finally got printer to e-print 1 time. Closed conversation. I tried it, didn't work. I called back, was connected to same tech. Then he could not get it to work. He said I must have an alternating IP address and closed.

I called Cust Serv, she had closed the ticket. That was the beginning of a terrible relationship. Now another new problem has arisen (one of many in past 3 years). I am literally going to destroy this not-so-cheap computer and buy a new one tomorrow. I will NEVER have another HP product in my home! Their cust service is a joke and I stupidly knew that when the store salesman talked me into buying this excuse of a computer. Never had problems with my Mac, my Gateway, or my Dell that was not resolved by tech and cust serv of any of those companies (and those were very few). I loved XP because it was problem free. Windows 10 has been another joke. Thanks MS for nothing. I would advise ANYONE who cannot afford to buy a computer from a reputable company, to save their money until they can. DO NOT BUY HP FOR ANY REASON.

I bought HP LED last week on Wednesday 22nd Feb 2017. It's very bad resolution. I called in HP TOLLFREE number. Your representative said, "Sir it's a default setting of this HP LED. We can't do anything." If you can't do anything so why are you selling bad products. Now I realized I just wasted my money on HP MONITOR 19KA serial no is CNC6420R16? Just get back your product and give me my money back I will look for another company LED. Very very bad service of this company.

Purchased a new 510 desktop today. After Windows 10 update computer would not recognize the log-in password. Apparently a common problem but not, according to HP Support, a set-up problem. To fix it must buy the $14.99 per month technical support. Thanks but no thanks, back to the store tomorrow and that's it for HP.

I bought an HP notebook brand new because I had a Dell that looked very outdated but worked fantastic, which I sold to upgrade! Bought my HP notebook, worst purchase of my life! Slowest thing ever. I have only used it about 10 times because it is so slow I want to rip my hair out & throw it against a wall by the time I'm done! I have antivirus protection & have reset. It still sucks! Absolute garbage. Total waste of money. I will never purchase HP again.

I have had this HP computer for 2 years and have had issues with it for most of the years. I paid 999.00 for it and it has been nothing but problems. I had to reset it 3 times to factory settings. I just purchased an APPLE and will never go back to HP again.

I bought a new HP Envy laptop. It is hardly 90 days old. It ended up with an unmountable boot volume error. My laptop is under warranty and it is very new. When I called first, a representative named Vivek told me it would cost $120 for them to immediately help me out. Let me remind you that I paid close to $800 for this laptop and I am now being asked to pay a hundred more. I might as well have gotten a Mac instead. So I am refused any help and then hanged up. In my second call I speak with Arthur. He tried helping me by remotely accessing this other laptop of mine to get hold of the new one that is not working. But again he ends up telling me that the service to get my laptop up and running will cost $100. I am just furious. I am a student and spent all my saving getting a new laptop only to be met with even more expenditure! This does not make sense. I am almost in tears now.

Then I call one last time hoping to get some help, but this guys was outright rude and was very unprofessional. He did not introduce himself, neither did he ask for the problem. He just put me on wait and in spite of asking persistently he had a machine like response asking me to wait. I was just frustrated and hung up. I called again and then as soon as I opened my mouth about needing help with my HP Envy, the guy on the other side hung up on me. What sort of customer service is this?! Who does that! Extremely disappointed with HP.

One last call before I lose my mind. One lady greets me on the other side and she does what Arthur did and I had some hope that she would help me out. But no, unless I pay $150 for the service! This is daylight robbery that these IT companies are involved in. As long as I am in the warranty period why can't you help me? Extremely disappointed with you HP, you left me teary eyed and I feel hopeless right now. I will definitely never ever recommend HP to anyone.

Had a simple problem having never had an HP computer. Customer service refused to answer a simple 'uninstall' question. They wanted to charge me $60 to help me with a simple problem. Their customer representatives were rude, I was disconnected purposefully 3 times, I was on the phone with them for 75 minutes while they shuffled me from place to place. I would never buy an HP product again, and I'm returning this computer.

So many people are starting to have problems printing with generic cartridges. On HP forum the staff repeat platitudes like "We can't support low quality cartridges. Get a genuine one." I posted the following reply which was deleted by them straight away (twice): "I also have a HP Laserjet MFP1217 that on my brand new HP Windows 10 laptop would not print. When you troubleshoot it says incompatible Cartridge. The printer prints from an old XP computer. What I did was fish out old software drivers that I had from 18 months ago and installed them on my new Win 10 laptop and voila it prints. This means that HP is underhand and dishonest in putting software in their new driver that blocks generic cartridges. I think they have also put a date activation in so that like the aids virus it gets embedded then suddenly activated. If they want to do that they should be upfront and honest about it so that people can decide whether they want to stay with HP or not!!

"It's not a firmware thing as the firmware has not been changed since 2015 -- it is software on the computer. Their genuine cartridges are sold at ripoff prices. HP you are not doing yourself any favors by doing this -- it will get out, it will do your reputation no good and there will be a lot of angry HP users who will lose all loyalty to the HP brand -- like me! Very short sighted and it will damage you where it hurts most (your pocket) in the long run. Your answer makes me angry as you seem to know this is what is happening and your reply sounds like official HP propaganda!"

I have bought a laptop and I have received a damaged product and I have called HP about it and the customer service is worst. Never buy a laptop from HP again. I have to pay the price for their mistake?

HP is fraudulent with their activities. They need to be stopped. Consumers purchase products. After a few use system begins to fail, parts used on their products is bad, they don't attend to calls or pretend they can't hear you to refuse repairs. Even when they accept to repair goods they use defective parts just to have the product run for few days or months. Mine was sent in for fixing and returned the next day with a notice item was repaired. After a week the computer issues were worse than before. This is a business tactic they use to manage product. After warranty expires they request you pay 200-300$ to have it fixed or buy extra warranty. Why are we allowed to suffer. After spending our hard earned money they care less. The government needs to stop them or better still stop their products from selling till they take full responsibility.

Avoid HP laptops at all cost. I purchased an HP Pavilion laptop a year ago, and after a couple of months it was clear that the battery was not charging despite being plugged in. After an extraordinarily difficult experience working with HP "customer support", they eventually sent me a new battery. It worked for a few months, then it stopped retaining a charge also. I contacted HP to request a new battery, but they informed me that my warranty had expired 4 days previously. "You should have purchased the extended warranty," they told me.

I tried to explain that this wasn't a new problem, it was a recurrence of a problem that originated while the computer was till under warranty. They told me that they disagreed with my assessment and that I was out of luck. If I wanted a new battery I would have to pay for it. I spoke with several of their reps over the phone, each more obnoxious and arrogant than the previous one. I caution anyone considering purchasing an HP product to THINK AGAIN.

I was having problems with my laptop that I couldn't repair on my own. The tech support rep was asian with a strong accent. He asked me if I wanted $9.99 one time payment for smart friend. It turns out he was saying $99.99. It sounds much like $9.99. I am in a process to get my money back since I stopped the service before it was started. I'll have to wait until tomorrow to hear from a case manager. Next time please get someone that speak English ugh.

In September 2015 I bought an expensive HP laptop of a very nice design. This laptop was at least two times more expensive than the Toshiba and MSI machines, which I already owned. From the very beginning the laptop was a big disappointment. The Intel Dual band WiFI card was not reliable, the battery of the laptop deteriorated very fast and now after 15 months two of the keys of the keyboard no longer work. When I asked HP for help they only provided me the tools to confirm that the keyboard was defect. Warranty after 1 year was expired!! This for a machine of 1500 euro. If I would summarise the price/quality ratio of HP I would say this is the worst machine I ever bought. Frankly speaking I think that HP can learn a lot from the Japanese / Asian computer manufactures. My conclusion: I will never buy expensive HP again.

Bought an HP OMEN (meant to be top of the line) computer in March/April 2016. It's been terrible ever since. Currently returned it to HP 5 times in 10 months. Display drivers not operating correctly, kernel issues, screen becoming detached from the casing, touch screen errors and so on. In addition, twice it has been returned to HP due to HP not fixing the issue it was sent for. Once, HP's technical team reinstalled Windows 8, even though the computer has never had Windows 8. A complete disaster of customer support and technical support. I have long been a supporter of HP, with all three of my most recent purchases, in addition to this one, being HP's. However, this experience and particularly the customer and technical support experience, will result in my buying a different brand next time.

After dishing out roughly $1000 for a computer (HP Spectre) to begin college, I expected great things. However, this computer has been nothing but problems. Within one year the motherboard for my computer crashed and luckily the warranty covered it. It took 3 weeks to get it back. (As you can imagine being in a school on the quarter system, 3 weeks without a laptop is terrible!!!) My computer continues to crash on me and says it needs to restart. I have received multiple zeroes on assignments due to this terrible gadget. If you are looking for a computer with touchscreen capabilities, this is not the one for you, the touchscreen features are very limited. Save your money and buy a Mac.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Formerly known as the Hewlett-Packard Company, Hewlett Packard Enterprise, or HP, is a multinational technology company headquartered in Palo Alto, Calif. Their line of desktop, tablet and laptop computers offer consumers a wide selection of devices to fit any computer need.

• HP Pavilion: The HP Pavilion is the basic model of desktop and laptop PCs for home use. The Pavilion line of laptops offers the same type of performance in a portable computer.
  • HP Envy: The HP Envy, a more powerful computer than the Pavilion, is designed to run programs that require more powerful hardware. The Envy is also available as an all-in-one computer and a laptop.
  • HP Omen: The HP Omen is the company’s performance line of PCs. The Omen tower desktop is built for power while the Omen X gaming machine is a cube-shaped high-performance PC. HP’s Omen laptop is the company’s portable gaming computer.
  • HP Z2 mini: The HP Z is a workstation PC designed to run business applications and maximize productivity. The Z2 Mini is a small workstation in a compact case. HP also offers Z model laptops for businesses.
  • HP Sprout Pro: The HP Sprout Pro is a 3-D scanning PC designed for educational and creative purposes. It is an all-in-one PC built to be easy to use, combining 3-D capture and editing tools to keep manageability and workflow accessible.
  • Best for HP computers are best for casual users, businesses, gamers and anyone else looking for a PC.

Compare Computer Brands