3.65/5
Based on 1,083 ratings submitted in the last year

1398 HP Computers Consumer Reviews

Original review: May 16, 2019

After a complete system wipeout this morning thanks to a system cleanup (hah! See Avast review). I was able to restore absolutely everything with the built-in HP system recovery tool. It took a while, and I had to uninstall and reinstall Chrome (how I hate that pushy loathsome Edge) but everything came back.

Original review: March 15, 2019

We bought the above PC in December and two months later it kept reading that there was no hard drive available. We contacted HP and they handled the return and repair without a hitch. They were polite, attentive and shipped a return box. Once we shipped it to them it was repaired and shipped back to us within a week. Short of the inconvenience of having your new computer stop working I can say it was a fairly convenient process to get things up and running! Customer service was fantastic. Computer is up and running perfectly!

Get expert buying tips about Computer Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 8, 2019

My latest HP purchase is the 3rd HP device I've owned to date. In the past I've had Dell, Acer, Sony, Apple, Huawei, and maybe one or two others. I've always said HP is the "Ryan Air" of computer products. The equipment is up to code but there is a lot of advertising built in that needs to be deleted before you can enjoy the product. My latest laptop, don't judge my choice, was an HP 15-db0. So, bargain basement touchscreen. It came stock with 8 gigs of ram which I intended to upgrade to 16 with the dual slots on the motherboard. Woops. While everything said the computer had two ram slots, and the motherboard does have room for two, only one is factory installed. To find out for sure that this was intended by HP and not a manufacturing defect I called HP support... Oh God, here we go.

After being bounced around from Canada tech support to Canada sales department, US tech support, back to Canada tech support and finally Canada sales department, I finally had my answer. Canadian built laptops are not designed to be upgraded with dual ram slots; A major downfall in my opinion. My last HP laptop was built for the Australian market, almost the same model, and did have dual slots. So now unless I want to throw away an 8 gig ram chip and replace it with a 16 gig chip... I'm SOL. The irony is my old laptop, now aging from travel and extended use, is actually faster than my new laptop.

Now to shamelessly plug the one HP support person who finally answered my question and didn't just try to shuffle me off to the next department. Lewis ID#: **. He wasn't allowed to give his name for security purposes so he had to give me his ID#. He's actually in the sales department but knew more about computers than the tech department. Give Lewis a raise. It's one thing to sell millions of computers a year, and a whole other to actually keep a customer service department functioning. After talking to 4 different sales and tech department staff, only Lewis got the job done. That's how your customer support! Your (still) loyal HP user, Roger.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

My AC charge (150 Watt) quit working. I purchased it from BEST BUY website. I went to BEST BUY and they confirmed that the Charge failed. (LAPTOP was 6 months old and under warranty). I called HP Customer Service. Agent said, "No problem. We will take care of it." (We are out of state and my computer is my lifeline to home and banking services.) I told the agent I will pay for overnight shipping, he stated that HP cannot do that. I had the AC CHARGER and power cord in 2 1/2 days. No charge, replaced under warranty. I use the Computer for Gaming (World of Warships) and is excellent for the intense video requirements. Thank you HP.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

I bought a brand new HP Envy dv6 a few years back and it was a good experience. Purchased on Black Friday. I got a great deal on it, however it started to do this strange thing with the display where it would freeze for minutes after turning on before the computer could be used... No big deal, still works and is a great product however the older it gets the longer the "warm-up". Now it takes over an hour after shutting down to boot back up but that's not the only problem. The hard drive is starting to fail and after opening the service port the problem becomes painfully obvious, a tiny bundle of cords powers the drive and provides the data transfer. The slightest bump causes the drive to disconnect and now the battery is failing and the CPU fan is failing.

This isn't abnormal for an old computer like this however today I called the HP sales department to order replacement parts and after choosing the sales department option it informed me that phone support for parts replacement is no longer available. WHAT??? My computer is in pieces and the fan is ceased up and I'm supposed to somehow GO ONLINE to order parts replacement??? Wtf. I guess they just assume people keep stacks of spare computers on hand in case one of the parts breaks.

Very unhappy that they don't provide phone support for ordering parts. It makes far better sense than providing technical support over the phone. How backwards to operate to provide tech support over the phone and parts replacement online... This is coupled with all the recent reviews I've been reading about HP products online has me hesitant at best about buying a new laptop from HP. Years ago I wholeheartedly supported and trusted this company but it seems the quality is no longer the same. Maybe all the good people left the company or the owner/CEO just doesn't give a care anymore but it's sad to see what has become of HP.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hewlett Packard?

Original review: Aug. 21, 2019

I bought a printer on April 26th this year, moved, and lost the power cord. Upon realizing this, I tried to buy one at Best Buy, Office Max, and Target, as well as contacting my local computer store. None of them sell HP printer power cords separately. All locations told me to contact HP customer support for a new cord - "should be no problem" they said. This seemed reasonable.

I called, and was transferred four different times, sometimes to the same back to the department I was initially talking to, and was then told I needed to do this whole thing over support chat. I tried both the AI chatbot, and the live-support chat (spoke to a CSA named Harpreet), and he told me after a long conversation that I needed to call the marketing support team. The AI chatbot is useless, by the way.

I called, though this department did not seem right to me. I then proceeded to get transferred 4 MORE TIMES! From Marketing sales, to "parts" that turned out to be tech support, back to HP store sales, and then BACK TO TECH SUPPORT. At each step, I was told that separate power cords are not available through any means no matter the circumstance (though I know this is impossible, having received replacement parts from other companies in the past, and my machine is STILL UNDER WARRANTY).

The technician asked what operating system I use (I have both, and it is irrelevant, the printer power cord is the same) then recommended that I buy one on a third party site, so I asked for the specifications, and all he could tell me was that "the product description is: White power cord, 1.8 meters". How helpful. And then he threatened to hang up. I will never buy another HP product. This is embarrassingly bad customer service and I would recommend literally any other company.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2019

Very bad experience, very frustrated. I bought HP laptop on 8 April 2019 and company gave me warranty for 1 year but on 14 August 2019 the warranty shows expired. I contacted the HP team and they told issue will be solved within 24-48 hrs but still after 10 days there is no solution, every time I contacted them they say me to wait for next 24 hr but still after so many days my case has not been solved, very frustrated.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2019

HP customer service are liars. They tell you that they will extend the warranty due to the same overheating problem over and over. Then act like you are lying about it. I will never buy or recommend a HP product.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2019

The only reason I didn't give this 1 star is because most things are functional but I don't know a laptop on this planet that makes it more difficult to set up wireless than an HP laptop. The online manual says there's a wireless on off switch when in fact there is no such button or icon. What laptop doesn't have a wireless button/icon on the keyboard?! Will never buy this junk again, thank God I didn't pay full price.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2019

My HP Envy laptop broke down after 4 months. Their Helpdesk got me to run some tests and found that it was a faulty motherboard. The laptop was bought from overseas (USA) and they said that they had to source the part from HP USA. I contacted them around 6 times over 4 weeks. Each time they promised that they would resolve the issue and call me within a few hours of my call. BUT THEY NEVER DID ON ANY OF THOSE OCCASIONS. Do not fall for their false promises, you need to keep hounding these people - they are completely useless!!! They refused my request for a temporary laptop while this issue was being resolved and didn't offer any kind of compensation.

Hewlett Packard expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Formerly known as the Hewlett-Packard Company, Hewlett Packard Enterprise, or HP, is a multinational technology company headquartered in Palo Alto, Calif. Their line of desktop, tablet and laptop computers offer consumers a wide selection of devices to fit any computer need.

• HP Pavilion: The HP Pavilion is the basic model of desktop and laptop PCs for home use. The Pavilion line of laptops offers the same type of performance in a portable computer.

• HP Envy: The HP Envy, a more powerful computer than the Pavilion, is designed to run programs that require more powerful hardware. The Envy is also available as an all-in-one computer and a laptop.

• HP Omen: The HP Omen is the company’s performance line of PCs. The Omen tower desktop is built for power while the Omen X gaming machine is a cube-shaped high-performance PC. HP’s Omen laptop is the company’s portable gaming computer.

• HP Z2 mini: The HP Z is a workstation PC designed to run business applications and maximize productivity. The Z2 Mini is a small workstation in a compact case. HP also offers Z model laptops for businesses.

• HP Sprout Pro: The HP Sprout Pro is a 3-D scanning PC designed for educational and creative purposes. It is an all-in-one PC built to be easy to use, combining 3-D capture and editing tools to keep manageability and workflow accessible.

• Best for: HP computers are best for casual users, businesses, gamers and anyone else looking for a PC.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs