3.42/5

1371 HP Computers Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 23, 2019

I bought this laptop for school. I work full time, and go to evening classes for my MBA. This has been the worst computer I’ve ever bought. Do not buy it if you are pressed for time or under pressure because it will just add to your stress. Within the first week, it wouldn’t turn on at all because it was not compatible with the Windows update so I had to take it to Best Buy to Geek Squad and was late to a class meeting. It updates frequently and usually takes over an hour—and is always at inopportune times. I’ve reset the timer to only update in the early morning hours but yesterday I turned it on, and it starts updating AGAIN at 5pm, so I couldn’t get to my work.

I feel like every time I turn the computer on, it’s a guessing game to see if it will work properly or not, and if I’ll be able to do my work in the short window of time I have. Yesterday, I had to restart it again because it wouldn’t open my documents. (this happens often) Spend a few extra dollars or go with a different brand. If you are looking for a product that will make your busy life less stressful, this isn’t the one-it’s too undependable. Like how right now, the internet keeps loading and timing out on the computer, even though its working perfectly fine on my phone so I could finally write this overdue review. The one good thing I can say is I like the facial recognition to sign on.

Original review: April 22, 2019

From Oct 2018 thru Dec 14 2018 the drivers keeps failing! MS (Microsoft did a update fixed it). March this year PC crashed multiple times due to an update that was NOT for my PC! Lost $10,000 in MP3s and many other stuff I couldn't get back. When I got my PC back from their REPAIR shop I took it out of the box to see it wouldn't turn on! They sent it back into repair and the manager of the repair shop claimed that the ram sticks was out of the PC socket due to FedEx! After they ran a bunch of tests they shipped it back to me! They USED the same box that it was in the 1st time! They claimed it was a NEW box and FedEx damaged it!

HP I would NEVER EVER EVER buy again! With a 1 star rating at the B.B.B. who knows how many complaints there still are! At this point in time still have nothing but issues! Contacted HP many times with 0 RESULTS! BUYERS BEWARE OF companies like HP! Am thinking of going public with this! Also FYI I sent HP files of proof that my PC wasn't working from my Google drive and when I went into the folder they have been removed! Removed NOT DONE BY ME!!!!!

Get expert buying tips about Computer Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 20, 2019

Terrible customer service. My son's laptop is a month away from the warranty expiring and the screen decides to go black. After trying the self help options (this obviously is common) he had no luck restoring the screen. I've reached out to customer service x 3 and keep getting, "It's been escalated to the management team and someone will call you back." I bet they will as soon as my warranty expires. I will NEVER purchase another HP product again!

Original review: April 18, 2019

I have had these product for 2 years now, and I hate them. They are unstable, extremely slow, and randomly losing Internet connections and/or freezing (and NO, it has nothing to do with my Internet service - it's super fast and reliable). The computer does NOT completely shut down when I command it to do so (it goes to sleep, at best), BUT, it DOES completely shut down when I leave it on, with the lid open. So, I lose battery charge unnecessarily due to the failure to shut down, and I lose all the open windows (Internet and applications) when I am counting on the computer staying on, which forces me to reboot the computer (which takes forever) and create my work. I realize that MS can play a part in this fiasco, and I despise everything made by MS; it is such a piece of garbage, and it is a shame that Bill Gates has made hundreds of billions on it. It speaks to the stupidity of people, including business leaders who continue buying this crap.

Original review: April 18, 2019

I have recently had one of the worst customer experiences ever when dealing with HP. I purchased an HP laptop and an expensive extended warranty. When I started having trouble with the computer the chat tech team seemed to help me. They advised me to use their own HP backup software to back up my personal files and then they wiped my computer. The HP software indicated that the back up was successful yet when I went to restore the files, I get error messages.

When I talked to HP they indicated that only their second level people can assist me with this, and they cost money. The price is $14.95 per month for 12 months. ($179.40). Remember this was HP's software. Software that locks your files and makes them so you can't access them without payment, is known as ransomware. HP is operating a scam using ransomware, so beware!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hewlett Packard?

Original review: April 17, 2019

You will get what you pay. I have Pavilion the laptop. This laptop is no good. There was a problem with the speaker, the Internet and the touch mouse keeps freezing. This morning, the computer did not recognize the earphone when I put it in. I had to restart it. Restarting made my Microsoft office file not being saved properly. You should Never buy HP laptop. You will pay what you pay for. Something is wrong with HP.

Original review: April 14, 2019

I helped my elderly friend who is deaf purchase a laptop from hp.com. I spoke with a salesperson. He messed up the order. I had requested a solid state hard drive. We even had a discussion about the solid state. I was telling him how the solid state was much faster than an HDD hard drive. He agreed with me, and upgraded me to the solid state. Well much to my surprise when it arrived he sent me an HDD hard drive. It was supposed to be customized. I immediately called HP. Spoke with a sales agent. That was fruitless. Demanded a supervisor. Spoke with Jake about it. He tried to convince me to stay with the HDD. I said emphatically NO! Said he had to speak with his team to see what they could do. Said he would call me back same day or at very worst, next morning. He never called.

I called several more departments and finally spoke with a not so friendly supervisor in the resolution dept. She spoke with Jake while I waited on the phone. She came back and said that he was taking care of it and would call me back same day. I said to her, "are you absolutely sure that he will call me back today, because so far no one has returned any of my calls?" She assured me he would call last Friday. It is 3 days later, and he never called me back. I have been on the phone with them for five days now, I believe. They're not honoring their warranty. They don't even have the decency to call me back. Think twice before getting an HP product. Their customer service supervisors, and their resolution dept. supervisors are dreadful. And it appears that they have no intention of honoring our warranty on a brand new laptop computer.

Original review: April 12, 2019

I needed a new laptop for starting my new business. My old Toshiba was getting a little slow, however it gave me 8 years of perfect service! I thought I would upgrade to something that had ZOOM and lots of ram and decided to try an HP. By chance, as I was surfing the web on my good ole reliable Toshiba, I found out that HP was having a blow out sale that was about to end in the next 7 hours and I wanted to take advantage of saving 50%!!!! A $1500 laptop on sale for just below $800 and it was not refurbished!!! After going online and adding all kinds of updates and more Ram with the latest i-7 Intel 8th Gen chip, the total came back up to about $1250. Still a bargain!! I was very happy!

UNTIL!!!! I get an e-mail days later stating that my order was declined and gave no reasons. After calling the 1-888 phone number, and waiting on hold forever, I was finally told that my order was declined because of safety issues with my credit card/mailing address and they thought it could be fraud. They offered to contact my Bank and verify everything with them through a 3-way conversation and I said, “PLEASE! Get on with it.” Another 45 minutes later, with all parties satisfied it was me and my credit card, I was told that the order would go back for approval through the mediator in the credit card department at HP and I should hear back soon!

Forward one week and I decided to call again to see the status of receiving my much needed new laptop. After being on hold again for another eternity, I found out that they decided not to allow the purchase to go through because that is their business policy. I said, “How about if I go back online and reorder the laptop and start from scratch” and they still declined! They told me if I want an HP I should go to Best Buy or Office Depot!!!! ** that! I WILL NEVER PURCHASE ANOTHER HP PRODUCT FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE AND I SUGGEST THAT YOU DON'T EITHER! Customer service does not exist in the United States any longer! And the funny thing is, I was going to purchase about ten more laptops for my office employees if I liked the one I purchased for myself. They just lost about a $20,000 sale! I'm sticking with Toshiba! PS.... and the $1250.00 charge is still on my credit card!!!

Original review: April 7, 2019

I purchased the HP Envy x360 laptop. I have a computer based job and wanted a new laptop to start this job. Decided to give HP a try. The first 2 months I loved the computer, all worked well. Then it started kicking off the internet just randomly. It kept telling me the issue was the wifi network adaptor. After troubleshooting it myself for over an hour I called customer support. They walked me through the steps for fixing it for over an hour and then decided I needed to send the computer to them. They FedEx'd me a box to return it to them in. They said it would be 10 days before I would get it back. If I don't have a computer I do not work...and do not get paid. All I got was a "sorry". I lost a day of work that day. I went to Rent-A-Center and rented a laptop for 2 weeks at a cost of $40.

My computer returned via FedEx and all was good again, for about a month. Then it started kicking off the internet again and saying it was the Wifi network adapter. I called customer support again and asked if they could provide me with a new computer or give me my money back. They said no. My only option was for them to FedEx another box to me and send it to them. I was irate at this point. But it did no good. They FedEx'd me a new box and I sent it to them....and back to Rent-A-Center I went. And that's where I am now....waiting for my laptop to be returned.

If they need to have my computer sent back twice why can't they FedEx me a loaner computer while they fix mine. Obviously they had no problem FedExing an empty box to me....just send me a loaner so I don't have to rent a laptop while they fix their terrible product. I would never buy HP again. They do not treat their customers right.

Original review: April 5, 2019

Brought my laptop about 2 months ago. Have just started my business and have only used the computer about 3 times until it just stopped working. Shocking service and no one seams to be interested in helping. Told them we will bring the computer back and get a refund only to be told that the 7 day warranty is up and they will not refund me. I am horrified that the service and attitude is so disgusting. HP will not hear the last of me!!!

Original review: April 3, 2019

Purchased my HP desktop Pavilion 590 on 10/23/2018 with manufacture warranty. I'm pretty savvy about computers not an engineer or programmer. On 30/18/2018 my desktop become infected with hackers. Only thing first contact with HP online chat kept trying to do was sale me extended warranty when had 9 months on purchased system. Next contact was on call were asked about certified repair options near me HP agent made every attempt to tell me that needed send system into HP. Avoided my question many times and tried sale me extended warranty was getting frustrated with little help.

After 5 attempted recoveries and one rest keeping folders and eventually full reset. My system became more and more filled with issues' HP diagnostic support had been blocking Microsoft updates from minute bought system. When pop ups of successful updates would show completed. HP diagnostic had not allowed any current updates for system or drivers and didn’t display any security alerts. Since October of 2018, found that all HP printers had been compromised to allow access into operating systems. Found details about this along with entire list of units affected this was all of them. Having a HP 2652 printer scanner registered as well with HP both desktop and printer were not shown have issues.

HP during the next few days had called. Spoken several agents 2 different supervisors. By this time 03/22/2019 had supervisor tell me had hackers in my system for sure. They had known about the issues for systems for 3 weeks now and their Tech department had no idea how to fix these issues. Supervisor went on inform me the 18 pages of notes took and sent with desktop for repairs. This call was inform HP hadn’t received shipping box a day after date of delivery had passed. Was instructed ignore box if showed at home. This supervisor was sending a new shipping box and escalated ticket with box. This was not true. The Supervisor never sent another box. Had call again. This supervisor was stern and rude. Was informed to us the original box and found an email from first Supervisor that arrived day earlier using same shipping info.

Was not able to check emails or be online, system was freezing and locking up. After sent system off found info about repair and status check, day after getting email about receiving system with 04/06/2019 return date, next day get email HP is extended my return date. Then watch my computer sit in repair status of being on hold for 4 days. Contacted HP online through another computer asking about status. Got no respectful response but they would take my repair off hold. Original topic of discussion between HP online was changed to nothing that had written and agent closed case when asked for copy of conversation sent to my email. When they replied back they would and they didn’t.

03/31/2019 Where find through HP website put my system info into support to locate my device and look at tabs to left that originally didn’t have much info before. There is list of known security issues that are not a couple more then 20-30 from a range of issues from 10/2018 to current date. Many have listed affected devices as most all laptops, and desktops where this being one of many;

"1. Information Disclosure, Denial of Service, Escalation of Privilege. Source: HP, HP Product Security Response Team (PSRT). Reported by: Seunghun **, National Security Research Institute. VULNERABILITY SUMMARY Potential security vulnerabilities have been identified with the Trusted Platform Module (TPM) that allow an unauthorized third party to modify the TPM configuration following an S3 Resume, allowing unauthorized access to the system and its data.

Pending: Softpaq is in progress. Under investigation: System under investigation for impact, or Softpaq under investigation for feasibility/availability. Not available: Softpaq not available due to technical or logistical constraints."

The not available: HP response due to technical or logistical constraints is most responses regarding many of issues. Last supervisor spoke with told me they were not technical repair or able to repair programs. At best they will replace a driver. Reinstall original operating system. Where HP programs are creating vulnerabilities and security issues along with interfering with Microsoft operating systems to do basic updates and allow Firewall function properly. This allowed disabled Bluetooth, WIFI, radio, mobile broadband all disabled to randomly be abled to reactivated and running in background not aware until run across again. Since the Pavilion 590 desktop has the same operating system as desktop. Allows for Bluetooth be able be used hack the system from anywhere in world with nothing anyone can do stop it.

Contacting Microsoft to on 04/03/2019 due my purchased 365 subscription no longer worked due to using MacAfee Security came with system from full rest and folders using D drive to use the factory partition file create clean start. MacAfee found Microsoft programs had 254 files fraudulent, missing registry over files. HP had 88 files the same and Internet Explorer same with 2 files. That’s with a partitioned part of first set up with clean system supposedly that turned out corrupted from the beginning since had have an internet connection to set up where the computer was supposed work better with email account to get full benefits of full security and operating system.

HP clearly has problem with informing customer the truth and being able to fix issues with their outdated operating programs that are supposed work with others like Microsoft, Intel. HP is well aware that my system had security on it and that their inability fix issues from October 2018 or share with others like Intel and Microsoft to gain needed fix for security vulnerabilities. Why all the previous messages of anger and frustration are posted. when users look up these posted issues under support/troubleshooting register their device to left see list tabs look under known issues there are two different tabs anyone will be able see list of issues with no solutions to many meaning all these instructions to send devices in for repairs will be more likely replaces parts with little to no guarantee issue will be resolved.

Original review: March 30, 2019

Updated on 04/01/2019: Further to my last review on HP Uk I finally got to speak to someone called Gui in customer service about my 31 day old laptop with 3 year care pack costing over £1500 today with its four faults. It's only took 5 days as their customer service does not have a number you can ring. You have to wait for them to ring you. I was told if I wanted HP to do anything I would have to give up my rights of a replacement or refund and expect some small cosmetic damage and they would collect and repair my laptop. Sounded A lot like blackmail and bullying to me so I refused. I did say they can collect and repair but I not agreeing to that and would continue my complaint. Gui refused and said it's that or nothing. HP should be ashamed and Gui should be sacked and charged with blackmail and bullying. He then hung up on me and I no better off. Still broken laptop. Care pack not worth the paper it printed on. I feel ripped off and bullied by HP. More to follow.

Original review: 4 major faults after 30 days of light use. Just do not buy anything from Hp. Cheap rubbish with large price tag. No customer service to talk of. When it breaks down and I mean when not if you try getting Hp to sort it out even if it is only 1 month old they will do anything to get out of fixing it even with 3 year care pack. Total joke.

Original review: March 24, 2019

This laptop was bought 2 years ago. It always has a problem. I've called nearly every 2 months to get assistance due to many different problems. The last several times I was on the phone over 2 hours! Last 2 times due to the problem the tech notion wanted me to remove the battery which is impossible because it takes a certain size of a tool. I am planning on calling HP again to discontinue their support that I have paid each month $14.99. They have recovered the laptop 4 times since it was purchased. I am retired, and am very dissatisfied with this laptop. If you prepare to purchase a laptop, I do not recommend a HP laptop.

Original review: March 24, 2019

I have a HP Notebook - 17-bs025cy. We it was run slow and not opening files. I tried restoring it to a later date. I did that but forgot my phone password. I called HP for help. Well I was told that they would only help me if I would give them $49.95 right now and another 14.95 because I let my warranty expire. This was my second laptop from HP. Never again will I miss them. Hewlett-Packard is running a extortion ring. Over 5 years I’ve been with them. Never again.

Original review: March 18, 2019

I recently purchased an HP PAV 590-P0086 DT PC desk top computer with the Windows 10 operating system. It was set up for me to be as close as possible to the Windows 7 that I was used to. I had everything arranged the way I wanted it and it was doing fine until last night all of a sudden for no reason it reverted back to the tablet format of the windows 10. At the time I bought the computer I was assured that HP would provide free support for one year.

I called HP last night and I was on hold for an hour then got disconnected twice before I finally got an agent. I explained to the agent that I wanted the screen to be brought back to the way I had it as I had no idea where to find any of my documents and folders with the way the screen had changed. She had me plug and unplug power cords, tap the F10 key until a set up screen came up. She then did something else I do not know what, but nothing made any difference. She kept putting me back on hold coming back and still no solution.

It was obvious she knew nothing about computers. I think a two year old had more knowledge than she did. She finally said she would transfer me to another level support. The next agent that came on line said that I would now have to pay a fee for support. I told him that the computer was barely two weeks old and I was not going to pay them another dime. It was not a cheap computer and I was promised support. I then hung up.

The next day I called Tech-to-Us a computer support company based in Conn. It took their agent all of about two minutes to fix the problem. He told me to click on the square in the bottom right hand corner of the screen, check to see if the tablet button was blue and if it was click on it to grey it out. I did what he said and problem was immediately solved and my old screen layout returned. I have had several HP products printers and computers but I am through. I think it is pure fraud to offer support and then hire ignorant and stupid agents under the pretense that they can help you.

As simple as the solution was there is no excuse for you agent not to have solved it. As far as I am concerned HP is fraudulently advertising support by totally unqualified and ignorant agents. Thank goodness for an honest and knowledgeable support company like Tech to Us Support. By the way HP agents also wiped out my external back up hard drive by not advising me how to remove it safely. I will never buy another HP product again and never ever pay for any HP support contract again either. You can consider me and “ex HP customer." TB Florida

Original review: March 16, 2019

Brought my new laptop home and spent the typical day to get it loaded and configured to my liking. Felt pretty good about my purchase until day 3, when one of the keyboard keys stopped working. I should have known what I was in for at that point. After being on tech support for several hours, HP agreed that the keyboard was in fact faulty. I must be a genius, because I knew within the first 5 min. I will say the tech support guy (I think it was Tony from Ahmedabad) was courteous throughout the whole mind-numbing experience. Anyway, I was allowed to return my 3 day old broken machine and get a new one. I think I actually felt lucky at that point. Took another day to get it configured to my liking.

Luckily the hardware has been seemingly trouble-free since day 3. Unfortunately; the software is for crap. I'm not sure if this is a Win 10 issue or a HP/Win 10 issue, but I use this laptop once every week to once a month. I'm sure that somehow this is my fault, but I swear almost every time I try to jump on this laptop to do something, it either forces me to wait for an update, or it takes 5-10 minutes to boot up. I do not have much software on the machine. I have had faster 386's. Something isn't right, but nothing appears to be wrong. Anyway, buy something else unless you have plenty of time to waste. I hope this helps someone make a better purchase.

Original review: March 16, 2019

Received an HP computer laptop for Christmas 2017. Had the laptop not even 6 months. Went away for a weekend, came back, and a couple days later opened my laptop to find cracked screen. They blamed me for doing it, so they refused to fix it, and for me to it fix it, it would cost more than what he paid for it. Not used the laptop for a year, just opened it to get pictures off and the screen is cracked even more and got all kinds of lines going through it. Also the computer runs slow, and takes forever for it to come on because it always has to boot up, and never shut downs when I go off. I am disappointed in HP. I feel they have no pride in their product.

Original review: March 15, 2019

We bought the above PC in December and two months later it kept reading that there was no hard drive available. We contacted HP and they handled the return and repair without a hitch. They were polite, attentive and shipped a return box. Once we shipped it to them it was repaired and shipped back to us within a week. Short of the inconvenience of having your new computer stop working I can say it was a fairly convenient process to get things up and running! Customer service was fantastic. Computer is up and running perfectly!

Original review: March 14, 2019

I bought a customized HP computer for business, delivery date was changed 3x still waiting, already paid in full, 3x contacting costumer service, one told me "I don’t know what to tell you”, when I asked to speak to "so called manager", she told me “everything is fine there is no changes on delivering date and you should get tracking # by tonight (Thursday/Friday)." Monday night nothing, called to find out that manager wrote I was aware that date was changed again and I was ok with it”, remind you this is a portable computer for practice. They all lie, when they talking to you and u confront them with emails/promised dates etc they tell you they gonna transfer you to the “resolve department” just to send you to another costumer service that has no clue.

Worst company to deal with ever, not sure how they still in business with so many other competitors. Will never purchase new computer from them again...FYI they unsure if they could give my money back because it’s a customized computer THAT I STILL HAVE NOT RECEIVED!!! and paid for 2 day shipping extra for it. If I could give it a NEGATIVE??? number I would.

Original review: March 13, 2019

Purchased a new desktop from BB in october of 18. From the first day it has been problematic. Freezes, will not reboot, and lastly will not power on at all. Very tired of overseas tech support, very tired of the "language barrier", very tired of not having a computer that will run when I need it.

Original review: March 13, 2019

My laptop is an HP. I had some issues with it. It doesn’t read Windows 10. I called customer service HP and oh surprise! The guy told me my laptop yes it does read Windows 10 which he was lying! He also told me he is going to ”check” the type of laptop I have to see if it reads it and he still say yes. Well he told me to enroll on the program in order to have technical support which it sucks!!! I got transfer after they charge 50 bucks! And 15 every month until 1 year contract. I was like but whenever I can cancel it right and he say yes. I was ok. Then, he transferred me to a technician and he said that my laptop doesn’t read Windows 10. I was like what’s going on! Why they lie to me just for charging me and sell products and services.

Well this technician he told me that if I purchase Windows 8 it will work! So he sent me a USB recovery Windows 8 for my laptop. I waited 11 days and he charged me 50 bucks again. Then, when I received the USB I called for someone to fix my laptop. Another technician answer me and he told me to install the Windows 8 and blah blah... I did and he told me to call back till 1 hour until the Windows 8 is installed in my computer. Well, I called again the software was installed, it erase everything that I have all my apps and programs everything! And then I called again with another technician by the time I already have so many cases numbers. This technician told me, “Man the usb that you purchased and send you it is not the correct one. It won’t work for your laptop.” I was like so in shock!

These people just want to sell right away! He told me he will refund my money and my money is not in my bank account and he also told me someone else will call me a Manager and nobody at this point call me yet. I decided to call next day and this person Crystal from another phone number I have 1800 474 6836 for customer service supposedly she didn’t hear me over the phone when I say I wanted to cancel my membership. And also the refund of the scam and lies they did to me and she hang up on me because supposedly she couldn’t hear me on an iPhone cellphone. They didn’t fix my laptop.

I was transferred many times and many cases and they sold me products and services that they promise me they will work and my laptop will be fix and it was all scam and lies! I am fighting for my money and I don’t have yet and nobody is doing nothing from HP COMPANY. Bad customer services! They only care for selling products and services that they don’t work!!!

Original review: March 10, 2019

Third class service by HP. Very arrogant executive. I purchased this laptop in India. I got service till today in India. And today HP saying get in touch with UNITED STATE HP support. And he state away cut the call. This is the WORST service by HP. I TOLD THEM will upload a small video on all social media website and write blogs regarding HP laptop and its quality. I will make sure HP laptop sell to be hampered in India as well as everywhere possible.

Please give me contact no and email ID of HP laptop India head and area manager. I want in writing all your problem as a proof. I will present this proof in consumer court. I will make sure your laptop sale to get hampered by YouTube review and Facebook post and other social media in India. STILL I DID NOT RECEIVE ANY SOLUTION. Please do not buy any HP product as they have very bad product quality. Very bad service by service center. No support from HP. Buy Dell laptops not HP at any cost.

Original review: March 9, 2019

In less than 8 months, it has hard drive failure! The first failure was indicated by the apparent inability to move files - they did actually move, but I had to refresh both screens to see that. The diagnostic indicated drive failure. They supposedly replaced the hard drive. That was last month. We are now just starting the second week of this month, and the HP diagnostic announced that the "new" hard drive has critical issues! They did not extend my warranty, since I don't live in California. Note - my laptop is never transported and suffered absolutely no stress or abuse of any kind! Regretfully, I trusted the HP name. Never again!

Original review: March 8, 2019

My latest HP purchase is the 3rd HP device I've owned to date. In the past I've had Dell, Acer, Sony, Apple, Huawei, and maybe one or two others. I've always said HP is the "Ryan Air" of computer products. The equipment is up to code but there is a lot of advertising built in that needs to be deleted before you can enjoy the product. My latest laptop, don't judge my choice, was an HP 15-db0. So, bargain basement touchscreen. It came stock with 8 gigs of ram which I intended to upgrade to 16 with the dual slots on the motherboard. Woops. While everything said the computer had two ram slots, and the motherboard does have room for two, only one is factory installed. To find out for sure that this was intended by HP and not a manufacturing defect I called HP support... Oh God, here we go.

After being bounced around from Canada tech support to Canada sales department, US tech support, back to Canada tech support and finally Canada sales department, I finally had my answer. Canadian built laptops are not designed to be upgraded with dual ram slots; A major downfall in my opinion. My last HP laptop was built for the Australian market, almost the same model, and did have dual slots. So now unless I want to throw away an 8 gig ram chip and replace it with a 16 gig chip... I'm SOL. The irony is my old laptop, now aging from travel and extended use, is actually faster than my new laptop.

Now to shamelessly plug the one HP support person who finally answered my question and didn't just try to shuffle me off to the next department. Lewis ID#: **. He wasn't allowed to give his name for security purposes so he had to give me his ID#. He's actually in the sales department but knew more about computers than the tech department. Give Lewis a raise. It's one thing to sell millions of computers a year, and a whole other to actually keep a customer service department functioning. After talking to 4 different sales and tech department staff, only Lewis got the job done. That's how your customer support! Your (still) loyal HP user, Roger.

Original review: March 8, 2019

Hi guys, Today I am going talk with you about my HP laptop. I am using it from last 5 years but till now technical damage or repair. But from few days the laptop keypad has some problem. If we press any button it is shown twice in PC and mouse has a problem. That's all. Without these it is a great PC for a businessman. Thank you.

Original review: March 5, 2019

I will never buy an HP product. I bought two in the past two weeks. I called HP support due to one not working the same day. The representative offered to replace it with a refurbished one. Then her “‘manager” got on the line and wanted collateral for them to keep their word to send a new one in one business day yet it was going to take 3. Suffice to say I ended the call and with it any business relationship with HP.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

I just got off the phone with HP tech department for over two hours of restarting, rebooting and unplugging for them to tell me I need to buy 32 GB flash drive to repair my computer I purchased on 12/20/18 at Best Buy. I also purchased a care pack warranty from HP. (Waste of money.) I told tech not going to buy a flash drive so I can download a repair file that you want to email me. I asked, "Can you send me one or can you tell me where I can get my computer repaired." No, his response, unless it has been less than 90 days. I told the tech it was! (Which could not understand his accent because was out of the US.)

I registered on 12/20 when I bought care pack warranty. I had to talk to supervisor. He was very rude and told me that was following protocol. I told him it sucks and please fix my computer. Then he said, "For this one time only I send you a repair kit." I said thanks and "I need to cancel the extended care pack warranty since you don't want to fix your computers since it just crashed and now want me to pay for a repair kit to restore my hard drive which now lost everything." WARNING!!! DO NOT BUY HP. IF IT HAS ANY ISSUES THE CUSTOMER SERVICE WILL KEEP BUYING ANOTHER ONE.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

I purchased a certified refurbished computer on November 29th. I spend $1300 on it, and was promised a 90 day warranty to accompany it. I would like to point out at this point, I could have bought a brand new Mac of similar specs for that cost, which would include a 1 year warranty. In December, less than a month after buying it, the left speaker stopped working. I spent about 2 hours doing all the troubleshooting, updating drivers, updating bios, etc. I purchased this computer as a necessary part of my graduate school program, and use it daily to do my school work. So while a broken speaker is annoying, sending it off for weeks for repair really wasn't an option. I decided to let it go, and deal with the fact that it was broken. After all, if I changed my mind, I had until the end of February when my 90 days expired.

On the 12th of February, suddenly my touch screen broke in such a way that it constantly was "touching" a line up and down the center of the screen, it was absolutely unusable and took me several hours to disable to touchscreen so the computer could be used at all. This was the straw that broke the camel's back and I called tech support. Now, I have a temper, but I know better than to let that loose while on the phone with tech support. I was a model customer, very polite and prompt. I was hung up on twice - now an hour into the phone call process, I finally was not hung up on and able to begin hashing out the problem.

FROM THE GET GO I told them exactly what the problem was, why I believed it to be a hardware issue, and what I had done already to prove that. It was all ignored and I proceeded to spend 2 hours doing all the steps I had already done so the technician could tick some little check boxes or something. Before any of that could happen she informs me that my computer is out of warranty. I calmly explain that I bought it on the 29th of November, here it is the 12th of February, it has not been 90 days yet. I send here a receipt showing I purchased it the 29th (A screenshot of my receipt, exactly what she told me to send) and we proceed with the "repair"

Two hours into it the tech tells me we need to reinstall windows and asks me to back up my data... She will call me back in an hour and we will continue. I back up my data, I cancel my afternoon plans, I wait. I keep waiting. I decide to go out to dinner some 5 hours later and I get a call from HP. I answer. There is no one on the line. They call again, no one on the line. They call a third time and I let it go to voicemail, they don't leave a message but stop calling.

Fast forward, the next day I get a call in the middle of the day, I leave work to finish this process. The technician asks me to run some more touch screen tests - I remind her that we disabled my touchscreen so that the computer could be used for ANYTHING, but she insists I run the tests. Obviously the touchscreen tests fail, the damn thing is disabled. She re-enables it (guess what immediately became unusable) and THEN determines I should send it in for repair (if only someone had suggested that BEFORE 6 hours on the phone...).

I get a receipt from HP stating "your shipping material is on the way, it will arrive in 2-3 business days). This was on Friday the 13th (ironic, right?) Here we are on the 22nd of February, and I just got off the phone with HP again trying to figure out where the hell my packaging is so I can SEND IN MY COMPUTER FOR REPAIR, it not only hasn't been fixed yet, it haven't even been able to MAIL it...

So far, I'm about 10 hours of my own time into trying to fix this, 6.5 hours on the phone, and still have nothing. Based on the hundreds of reviews I've seen for crap service, I bet they're running out the clock on my warranty and then will refuse to fix it. DO NOT EVER BUY AN HP PRODUCT. I don't care how good it looks, or how good your luck is, this is not an ethical or responsible way to run a business. I am so upset that I've given them any of my money, I will NEVER make that mistake again.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

I have bought HP notebook 6 months ago, and it's become a piece of garbage which has no use. The kind of service they provide is very worst. I have complained about my laptop about 20 days ago and they haven't provide any solution yet. They just told that "We have registered your complaint and we are working on it." I strongly recommend not to go for HP product. Cheaper brands than HP provide more better product and more better customer service.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

The warranty department makes up every excuse NOT to fulfill their warranty agreement and puts blame on customers to get by with not the not fulfilling whys! I am disappointed in them. They were rude. And didn't want to help fix the laptop.

Hewlett Packard expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Formerly known as the Hewlett-Packard Company, Hewlett Packard Enterprise, or HP, is a multinational technology company headquartered in Palo Alto, Calif. Their line of desktop, tablet and laptop computers offer consumers a wide selection of devices to fit any computer need.

• HP Pavilion: The HP Pavilion is the basic model of desktop and laptop PCs for home use. The Pavilion line of laptops offers the same type of performance in a portable computer.

• HP Envy: The HP Envy, a more powerful computer than the Pavilion, is designed to run programs that require more powerful hardware. The Envy is also available as an all-in-one computer and a laptop.

• HP Omen: The HP Omen is the company’s performance line of PCs. The Omen tower desktop is built for power while the Omen X gaming machine is a cube-shaped high-performance PC. HP’s Omen laptop is the company’s portable gaming computer.

• HP Z2 mini: The HP Z is a workstation PC designed to run business applications and maximize productivity. The Z2 Mini is a small workstation in a compact case. HP also offers Z model laptops for businesses.

• HP Sprout Pro: The HP Sprout Pro is a 3-D scanning PC designed for educational and creative purposes. It is an all-in-one PC built to be easy to use, combining 3-D capture and editing tools to keep manageability and workflow accessible.

• Best for: HP computers are best for casual users, businesses, gamers and anyone else looking for a PC.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs