HP Computers

Compare Computer Brands

Research top Computer Brands recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I never get the extended warranty since problems usually arise within the limits of the one year warranty. I'm sorry now. I bought an HP Pavilion laptop 17' a little over 2 years ago from QVC who gave me lifetime fix on the computer. A little after the warranty expired the problems started. First the paint on the keyboard came off and I couldn't see what the letters were (had to buy stickers). Then, the battery only lasts about 20 minutes, then the port on the one side won't work. But, my biggest problem is that there is a green or red film on the screen whenever you wake it up from sleep that takes a few minutes before it clears enough to see the screen.

Called my 'lifetime' fix, was on hold for an hour only to be told it is a hardware problem and the fix is only for software. Called HP and they said I had to send it back and it would be about $159 to fix. Filed a complaint with the BBB and HP just called and said they quoted me the wrong price. It would be over $350 to fix but they would give me a 30% discount. When I said that was too much they said they would give me $75 off a new HP computer. Can't stop laughing that they think I would ever buy HP again. This is my fourth computer (the others lasted at least 6 years) but first and last HP.

I contacted HP. My laptop was purchased 8/15/16, it is only 7 months old and should still be under warranty. I got transferred 5-6 times and they state that it is a software issue and I needed to pay $50 upfront and then $15/month. I was told it is a software issue. I don't know how they can say that when they have not even looked at the computer at all. Now I have a worthless metal box that cost me over $500 and it should be under warranty. HP does not stand behind its products or warranties. I will never ever purchase another HP product in my life. Very poor customer service provided. This computer was purchased for college now what am I to do.

I used to think very highly of HP but that changed when I bought an hp notebook 15. It had problems updating the bios menu and caused it to be useless unless I installed Windows 10 from a flash drive which I did. I talked to customer service about it. But they were rude and argued a lot. My laptop now randomly crashes and I had to reset it for the 6th time since the start of 2017. Hp doesn't care about their paying customers. They just want your money.

I bought the HP Pavilion all-in-one desktop computer about a year and half ago at Costco. The computer itself is a piece of **. The first time when I encountered the issue, called HP, sent it back for repair. Got the computer back. Still didn't work. Called the HP. Sent it back for repair. Got the computer back again, then still have the problem. I called HP and asked them if they can either return my money or just simple to send me a new computer for the same model, I'll be just fine with that. But the case manager said that it's not an option. My option at this point is now sending it back for repair. If after this 3rd time, the computer still does not work, they will refund me the money but will prorate the refund. REALLY? FOR REAL? THIS PIECE OF ** was defect from the day one. I couldn't use it for my business and he said prorate my refund? NEVER any HP PRODUCTS.

My HP Envy that is 15 months old and 3 months out of warranty hard drive just died. After calling tech support and paying $60, they confirmed it was dead. They refunded the service call cost and informed me that the new hard drive will cost $450!!! It's only 15 months old!!! I say, "Sorry sir, out of warranty and no extended warranty. Do you want to purchase a new hard drive?" Uh, no. Thanks for nothing HP, what a piece of garbage. First and last HP product I ever buy. Should've headed online warnings about poor hard drives, but assumed that quality had improved. Nope.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hewlett Packard?

I was trying to download printer software from their site for my model and version of Linux. I could not find my model number so I decided to call HP support to see if they could help. The first time the call was misdirected. The second time, the agent claimed he couldn't hear me. The third time, I was told that they couldn't answer my question because my printer was no longer under warranty and I'd have to pay $20 for help or buy another printer over the phone.

3 years ago I updated from my Dell computer to HP because MS would no longer support XP. I updated a month later to a different HP printer so I could print from any device. (And there wasn't anything wrong with printer that I replaced). I have had nothing but trouble from the computer since day 1. The 2 devices would not recognize each other in printing, esp e-printing. I called HP tech support; of course their so-called customer service answered and opened a repair ticket. Then she connected me to a tech (at least he was supposed to be). He worked on the problem remotely little more than an hour. Finally got printer to e-print 1 time. Closed conversation. I tried it, didn't work. I called back, was connected to same tech. Then he could not get it to work. He said I must have an alternating IP address and closed.

I called Cust Serv, she had closed the ticket. That was the beginning of a terrible relationship. Now another new problem has arisen (one of many in past 3 years). I am literally going to destroy this not-so-cheap computer and buy a new one tomorrow. I will NEVER have another HP product in my home! Their cust service is a joke and I stupidly knew that when the store salesman talked me into buying this excuse of a computer. Never had problems with my Mac, my Gateway, or my Dell that was not resolved by tech and cust serv of any of those companies (and those were very few). I loved XP because it was problem free. Windows 10 has been another joke. Thanks MS for nothing. I would advise ANYONE who cannot afford to buy a computer from a reputable company, to save their money until they can. DO NOT BUY HP FOR ANY REASON.

I bought HP LED last week on Wednesday 22nd Feb 2017. It's very bad resolution. I called in HP TOLLFREE number. Your representative said, "Sir it's a default setting of this HP LED. We can't do anything." If you can't do anything so why are you selling bad products. Now I realized I just wasted my money on HP MONITOR 19KA serial no is CNC6420R16? Just get back your product and give me my money back I will look for another company LED. Very very bad service of this company.

Purchased a new 510 desktop today. After Windows 10 update computer would not recognize the log-in password. Apparently a common problem but not, according to HP Support, a set-up problem. To fix it must buy the $14.99 per month technical support. Thanks but no thanks, back to the store tomorrow and that's it for HP.

I bought an HP notebook brand new because I had a Dell that looked very outdated but worked fantastic, which I sold to upgrade! Bought my HP notebook, worst purchase of my life! Slowest thing ever. I have only used it about 10 times because it is so slow I want to rip my hair out & throw it against a wall by the time I'm done! I have antivirus protection & have reset. It still sucks! Absolute garbage. Total waste of money. I will never purchase HP again.

I have had this HP computer for 2 years and have had issues with it for most of the years. I paid 999.00 for it and it has been nothing but problems. I had to reset it 3 times to factory settings. I just purchased an APPLE and will never go back to HP again.

I bought a new HP Envy laptop. It is hardly 90 days old. It ended up with an unmountable boot volume error. My laptop is under warranty and it is very new. When I called first, a representative named Vivek told me it would cost $120 for them to immediately help me out. Let me remind you that I paid close to $800 for this laptop and I am now being asked to pay a hundred more. I might as well have gotten a Mac instead. So I am refused any help and then hanged up. In my second call I speak with Arthur. He tried helping me by remotely accessing this other laptop of mine to get hold of the new one that is not working. But again he ends up telling me that the service to get my laptop up and running will cost $100. I am just furious. I am a student and spent all my saving getting a new laptop only to be met with even more expenditure! This does not make sense. I am almost in tears now.

Then I call one last time hoping to get some help, but this guys was outright rude and was very unprofessional. He did not introduce himself, neither did he ask for the problem. He just put me on wait and in spite of asking persistently he had a machine like response asking me to wait. I was just frustrated and hung up. I called again and then as soon as I opened my mouth about needing help with my HP Envy, the guy on the other side hung up on me. What sort of customer service is this?! Who does that! Extremely disappointed with HP.

One last call before I lose my mind. One lady greets me on the other side and she does what Arthur did and I had some hope that she would help me out. But no, unless I pay $150 for the service! This is daylight robbery that these IT companies are involved in. As long as I am in the warranty period why can't you help me? Extremely disappointed with you HP, you left me teary eyed and I feel hopeless right now. I will definitely never ever recommend HP to anyone.

Had a simple problem having never had an HP computer. Customer service refused to answer a simple 'uninstall' question. They wanted to charge me $60 to help me with a simple problem. Their customer representatives were rude, I was disconnected purposefully 3 times, I was on the phone with them for 75 minutes while they shuffled me from place to place. I would never buy an HP product again, and I'm returning this computer.

So many people are starting to have problems printing with generic cartridges. On HP forum the staff repeat platitudes like "We can't support low quality cartridges. Get a genuine one." I posted the following reply which was deleted by them straight away (twice): "I also have a HP Laserjet MFP1217 that on my brand new HP Windows 10 laptop would not print. When you troubleshoot it says incompatible Cartridge. The printer prints from an old XP computer. What I did was fish out old software drivers that I had from 18 months ago and installed them on my new Win 10 laptop and voila it prints. This means that HP is underhand and dishonest in putting software in their new driver that blocks generic cartridges. I think they have also put a date activation in so that like the aids virus it gets embedded then suddenly activated. If they want to do that they should be upfront and honest about it so that people can decide whether they want to stay with HP or not!!

"It's not a firmware thing as the firmware has not been changed since 2015 -- it is software on the computer. Their genuine cartridges are sold at ripoff prices. HP you are not doing yourself any favors by doing this -- it will get out, it will do your reputation no good and there will be a lot of angry HP users who will lose all loyalty to the HP brand -- like me! Very short sighted and it will damage you where it hurts most (your pocket) in the long run. Your answer makes me angry as you seem to know this is what is happening and your reply sounds like official HP propaganda!"

I have bought a laptop and I have received a damaged product and I have called HP about it and the customer service is worst. Never buy a laptop from HP again. I have to pay the price for their mistake?

HP is fraudulent with their activities. They need to be stopped. Consumers purchase products. After a few use system begins to fail, parts used on their products is bad, they don't attend to calls or pretend they can't hear you to refuse repairs. Even when they accept to repair goods they use defective parts just to have the product run for few days or months. Mine was sent in for fixing and returned the next day with a notice item was repaired. After a week the computer issues were worse than before. This is a business tactic they use to manage product. After warranty expires they request you pay 200-300$ to have it fixed or buy extra warranty. Why are we allowed to suffer. After spending our hard earned money they care less. The government needs to stop them or better still stop their products from selling till they take full responsibility.

Avoid HP laptops at all cost. I purchased an HP Pavilion laptop a year ago, and after a couple of months it was clear that the battery was not charging despite being plugged in. After an extraordinarily difficult experience working with HP "customer support", they eventually sent me a new battery. It worked for a few months, then it stopped retaining a charge also. I contacted HP to request a new battery, but they informed me that my warranty had expired 4 days previously. "You should have purchased the extended warranty," they told me.

I tried to explain that this wasn't a new problem, it was a recurrence of a problem that originated while the computer was till under warranty. They told me that they disagreed with my assessment and that I was out of luck. If I wanted a new battery I would have to pay for it. I spoke with several of their reps over the phone, each more obnoxious and arrogant than the previous one. I caution anyone considering purchasing an HP product to THINK AGAIN.

I was having problems with my laptop that I couldn't repair on my own. The tech support rep was asian with a strong accent. He asked me if I wanted $9.99 one time payment for smart friend. It turns out he was saying $99.99. It sounds much like $9.99. I am in a process to get my money back since I stopped the service before it was started. I'll have to wait until tomorrow to hear from a case manager. Next time please get someone that speak English ugh.

In September 2015 I bought an expensive HP laptop of a very nice design. This laptop was at least two times more expensive than the Toshiba and MSI machines, which I already owned. From the very beginning the laptop was a big disappointment. The Intel Dual band WiFI card was not reliable, the battery of the laptop deteriorated very fast and now after 15 months two of the keys of the keyboard no longer work. When I asked HP for help they only provided me the tools to confirm that the keyboard was defect. Warranty after 1 year was expired!! This for a machine of 1500 euro. If I would summarise the price/quality ratio of HP I would say this is the worst machine I ever bought. Frankly speaking I think that HP can learn a lot from the Japanese / Asian computer manufactures. My conclusion: I will never buy expensive HP again.

Bought an HP OMEN (meant to be top of the line) computer in March/April 2016. It's been terrible ever since. Currently returned it to HP 5 times in 10 months. Display drivers not operating correctly, kernel issues, screen becoming detached from the casing, touch screen errors and so on. In addition, twice it has been returned to HP due to HP not fixing the issue it was sent for. Once, HP's technical team reinstalled Windows 8, even though the computer has never had Windows 8. A complete disaster of customer support and technical support. I have long been a supporter of HP, with all three of my most recent purchases, in addition to this one, being HP's. However, this experience and particularly the customer and technical support experience, will result in my buying a different brand next time.

After dishing out roughly $1000 for a computer (HP Spectre) to begin college, I expected great things. However, this computer has been nothing but problems. Within one year the motherboard for my computer crashed and luckily the warranty covered it. It took 3 weeks to get it back. (As you can imagine being in a school on the quarter system, 3 weeks without a laptop is terrible!!!) My computer continues to crash on me and says it needs to restart. I have received multiple zeroes on assignments due to this terrible gadget. If you are looking for a computer with touchscreen capabilities, this is not the one for you, the touchscreen features are very limited. Save your money and buy a Mac.

I purchased the HP15 two years ago and now it's a paperweight. It always has 100% disk usage and freezes up even though nothing is running. Going on the internet is too much for it to handle. I called customer support and they wanted to charge me $200 to fix it for 1 year. I just want consumers to be aware that if you purchase this product and want it to work properly it will cost you $200 per year after year two. This is the first and last time I will purchase anything from HP (I'm glad these problems occurred before I purchased a printer and I didn't buy from HP).

I opened my new laptop purchased from Harvey Norman and wifi does not work properly. After 3 hrs of troubleshooting, problem still persists. Dead upon arrival and company still does not want to replace this. I was promised twice that this laptop will be replaced.

I have had HP Computers for at least 30 years, I have never had such bad experience with this support team this go around!!! I got lock out of my hp today, they wanted to charge my credit card over a 100.00$, not only that, I ask what is my warranty for, they said hardware. This is going on while trying to get them to help me in the lock out. THEY HAD ENOUGH NERVE TO TRY TO SELL ME A SOFTWARE WARRANTY IN THE PROCESS!!! I told them why would I want to buy another warranty when I can't get the help I need with the one I have... The bottom line is I would never buy another hp in my life, I would take an acer over an hp at the moment... The price you pay for this computer is a rip off, consumer service included!!! HP you have lost a consumer, NEVER WILL I BUY ANOTHER HP!!! This one is going out the door!!!

So I bought a HP Pavilion 15 laptop at Staples. First day I had it I knew something was wrong. HP says in specs that up to 9 hours 15 minutes battery life can be expected. I used mine for 4 and half hours and it was warning me to connect to adapter to charge battery. So I set up a chat session through HP's support site and a person connected and proceeded to gain access to my laptop via remote access. The support person downloaded a bios update and uninstalled and reinstalled a couple drivers related to power management. Then ask if I could be contacted the next day to see if battery life improved. So I set up a agreed time in the AM and proceeded to use my PC and run the laptop through a couple complete drains as instructed to calibrate battery.

Well the next day the time rolled around for the tech to call and yet nobody called. I still had problems and another issue had shown itself. My power adapter would get really hot while charging battery and using laptop. I mean hot enough you wouldn't want to hold it very long. Of course since the tech never called back it was problem knowing what to do next. On top of that I noticed my HP support assistant indicated that my warranty was activated a month earlier than I even owned the PC? Even though I thought it was brand new. Of course that led to filing a dispute with warranty over that issue.

After deciding to tell my story I was not surprised by how many people have had similar problems with HP over technical support. I read that HP hires a outside support company to handle problems and I'll bet it's not in the US either. I have worked with support from Dell, Acer, and Samsung. None of them perfect with their own issues. Heck Samsung lost a Chromebook I sent in for repair. But HP takes the award for least amount of satisfaction solving a problem. When the tech person can't even tell if I have a removable battery or an internal one that makes me think they know very little about the product itself. How would you feel taking your car in to a shop and they asked you if the motor was in front or in the back? You probably would run far away from that shop right?

I think you're better off skipping basic technical support and call up HP and asking for your problem to be escalated to actually tech's that can solve your problem. Not those who follow basic flow charts and provide you with basic 101 troubleshooting. Also, if you have any issues at all that show up after you buy it. Take it back and get a refund. Don't bother with support, HP doesn't know how to provide support. Probably get better solutions on their forums than talking with a support rep.

I wish there was a way to give this company negative stars. I am the unfortunate owner of several HP products to include three HP Envy 17" laptops, two HP all-in-one printers, and one HP Phoenix Desktop. With the exception of the printers, I have had to deal with the corporate resolutions (a completely ludicrous title) and technical services for these items. I have had major problems with the computers and now that the warranty was barely out I get no resolution to issues that I complained about during the warranty. The company had the audacity to tell me that the average life of their products is 2-3 years. ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?!

When a consumer spends hundreds and thousands of dollars on a product that is supposed to be the company's top of the line, one would infer that it would be an investment that would last a bit longer than that. I will NEVER buy or recommend this company's products to anyone. Please avoid them like the plague and spend your money on a more worthwhile product. This company's products and service are absolutely garbage.

I bought an HP Envy 12 months ago. And like 9 days. It started messing up 6 months in. I contacted HP, a person was able to go into computer over the phone and delete then download some new software update or something. It sort of fixed it. But not exactly. I dealt with it but when it stopped again, I got with HP and they wanted me to buy some 2 or 3 hundred dollar warranty extension! I wouldn't, they told me what to do this time to fix it, I couldn't, they said I'd need to contact a service repair center. That it was past warranty.

This computer is JUNK. It's been 12 months and about 9 days, here's exactly what is wrong: Screen blank, black, I've done everything you can do to fix it BUT take it to a repair place somewhere to fix it! When you type, cursor jumps all over the place! You can be a couple words in and if you aren't careful you will have ended up in something somewhere while you're typing away! I have got with HP about this as well, like 3 or 4 months in. They do some stuff or whatever (say they did) then tell you to do this or that, then after an hour or a day or a week or a month, it ALWAYS starts the cursor jumping AGAIN!!

Anyone that has EVER dealt with the cursor jumping around while they're typing KNOWS what that does! It ruins whatever you're writing, so you have to fix and correct it all the time, it can end up somewhere where you're not typing an email or letter or whatever and everything you're typing will be in some other part of the computer, causing MAJOR computer problems and lastly, makes you want to throw the computer into the street, beat it to death with a hammer, then run over it with a huge truck. (Imagine the mental frustration or pain that causes someone.) They of course want a fortune to fix it and it already cost 650 dollars only 12 months ago, and ship it, so no thanks HP. It shouldn't cost me almost a thousand dollars a year to have a regular computer. I should have one of best for that much if I'm paying an average of a thousand dollars every year!!! It should last over a year anyway!!!

So, I could go on about a couple of other smaller things but those I can live with, I just wish the screen worked and that I could type a few things. I don't play ANY computer games, I'm 51 years old and don't know how! There's absolutely no reason why the screen won't work but they are saying now that it's probably the LCD something or another, that the BIOS recovery didn't fix, the other things tried didn't fix it so that it's probably the LCD or whatever and to give another 300 bucks, mail it, wait, etc, etc.

Honestly, this has been a horrible experience, with the customer service, the insinuations I may have played games and the screen broke, and all the money traps they try to get you in. If you buy an HP, you'll see, you'll find out. It is awful and they don't give 2 cents! All I can say is if it's on sale at Best Buy, that don't mean you're getting any kind of deal! HP will never get another dime from me or anyone I can warn!! BTW, it took like an hour to type this due to the cursor jumping all around and me having to stop each time to fix stuff, also, the only way I am able to use this computer is to use my HDMI cable to my tv until I can get a monitor, but not an hp one of course! Sorry so long, have a good day!! :)

If I could do a negative review on this company and experience, I would. We buy thousands of dollars a month of computers, printers, ink for our company. I bought 15 new desktops, average per desktop $800 each, printers on a regular. I call customer support and they transferred me about 6 times and then hung up. Call back and then he put me to some voicemail. I will never buy another HP product again from here on out and I can't wait till the day arrives where I don't have one piece of HP products in our stores.

If I could give zero stars I would for the HP's Technical Company. HP does not have their own technical department so they have a contract with another company to handle technical issues. When I called I was provided with different cost and inaccurate information. My wireless was not connecting. I did everything I knew manually to try and override the command. When I called tech support they ran me thru the same procedures and some extra steps. By the end of the call and a restart my wireless was still not working. Instead they requested I run to the store and purchase a cord to connect from my laptop to the router itself. I requested a refund since the issue was not resolved. I was not going to run around town dealing with this. The refund was denied so I called corporate. It was not cheap to speak with the technician who couldn't even fix the problem. Needless to say I continue to get the runaround and no resolution.

Point, do not use tech support for HP. They are not affiliated with the company so if the problem does not get resolve they will still keep your money. They will either charge one time flat rate or monthly payments for a year. Either way money is being thrown away. I will NEVER EVER use the tech support again. Customer service is HORRIBLE and because they are not part of HP the company can not assist whatsoever. The only thing HP does is continue to forward my complaint and request that the second hand tech company refund me. I hope this helps anyone who is thinking of calling or reaching out for tech support through HP.

I got this cool computer on my last birthday. My husband spent over 1000$ for it; it was cool and reliable so he got refurbished one with the warranty 90 days. I was using it less than a year when it completely died. Totally. No power, nothing. I tried everything, restart, hard reset, then I went to technician store and he said it might be pc jack but can be motherboard. In a week he called me and said, "It's the worst, you need a new one." I tried to contact HP customer service and talked to them if they can fix it. Well, first I was told I can send it for 99$ and if they don't fix it they will send it back. Well, I missed that guy called and when I called back to talk where I should send it I was told absolutely different story technician for $150 + whatever need to be fixed. I asked for supervisor. He did not introduce himself, was rude, angry and said he does not care if I buy from HP again. HP will stand no matter what.

Well, the computer can't be repaired, I will get a new one and I am sure it will not be HP. Because customer service should take care of customers. I strongly believe that I don't need to buy a new computer every year. I also believe that one year old computer is not an expectancy for laptop. My computer was refurbished but we got it on amazon from HP. Will I buy from HP again? Never. Because I want someone to take care of me. By the way, the customer service does not speak properly English, has attitude and have no idea what is the problem.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Formerly known as the Hewlett-Packard Company, Hewlett Packard Enterprise, or HP, is a multinational technology company headquartered in Palo Alto, Calif. Their line of desktop, tablet and laptop computers offer consumers a wide selection of devices to fit any computer need.

• HP Pavilion: The HP Pavilion is the basic model of desktop and laptop PCs for home use. The Pavilion line of laptops offers the same type of performance in a portable computer.
  • HP Envy: The HP Envy, a more powerful computer than the Pavilion, is designed to run programs that require more powerful hardware. The Envy is also available as an all-in-one computer and a laptop.
  • HP Omen: The HP Omen is the company’s performance line of PCs. The Omen tower desktop is built for power while the Omen X gaming machine is a cube-shaped high-performance PC. HP’s Omen laptop is the company’s portable gaming computer.
  • HP Z2 mini: The HP Z is a workstation PC designed to run business applications and maximize productivity. The Z2 Mini is a small workstation in a compact case. HP also offers Z model laptops for businesses.
  • HP Sprout Pro: The HP Sprout Pro is a 3-D scanning PC designed for educational and creative purposes. It is an all-in-one PC built to be easy to use, combining 3-D capture and editing tools to keep manageability and workflow accessible.
  • Best for HP computers are best for casual users, businesses, gamers and anyone else looking for a PC.

Compare Computer Brands