2.55/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Last updated: April 24, 2018

1136 HP Computers Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 24, 2018

Had bought HP Z238 Microtower Workstation and HP ProBook 445 G2 Notebook PC in 2016 and since then have multiple issues. Mainly unplanned shutdown/restart and blue screen... resulting in unsaved data being lost... so I can't do any serious work on these machines. Each repair time takes a lot of time and presently I am not able to use both of them... Money and time wasted and it's a pain chasing service. Today I raised an issue (case ID:5013367268) and the email with the case has not yet reached even after 1 hr... As an ex-employee of HP was so proud of HP but now I feel they are not bothered of product quality or Service. Hope HP pulls up their act and get back to become the HP that we all admired.

Original review: April 22, 2018

This is the second HP PC (Pavilion) I have had. I had to trade in the first one because it kept breaking down. They are without a doubt the worst computers I have ever used. Their hard drives keep going bad and after I've had a new one for a few months the whole thing slows down again. I can be typing an e-mail or reading online news and the thing just kicks me out of the program I'm in or turns itself off. The only reason I keep it is because I love my HP Envy printer and I'm afraid another brand of PC wouldn't be compatible with it. I buy a year's worth of Geek Squad coverage annually and it's worth every penny.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: April 20, 2018

We are being harassed since 3 months now in the name of repairs for a defective HP Pavilion laptop. We are trying to request refund and are being tortured to follow ** process which is all about making sure customers do not get REFUND at any cost. HP is already BANKRUPT and ** BRAND. This is how they get revenue, NO REFUND POLICY even when the products are DEFECTIVE.

I have tried their way to repair the laptop with 5 to 6 attempts. They were not able to fix the hard drive crash. I do not need to put up with this anymore. Why should I even have a laptop that needs repair twice a month. The escalation team manager tries to fool people making absurd illogical reasoning and justification as the reason for failure. I am done with HP. I want my money back. I have lost my patience with the kind of dumb people I have to communicate to, who are designated as ESCALATION MANAGERS. They are so dumb. Hate the COMPANY SO MUCH. They are the worst company I have ever seen and have disgusting customer service.

Original review: April 19, 2018

I bought my laptop brand new last Thanksgiving 2017. Less than 6 months "January 18, 2018 " I had to contact HP in order to get it repaired. Long story short, a very long story... It took 7 weeks for them to ship to me the return label and box, then once they received my laptop I get a call from "Alex" Case manager at the HP AMS Consumer Escalations Team phone number: 1-877-917-4380 ext. **. And he refused my warranty, said it does NOT COVER the repairs/damages. He said that it would cost me $530 to have it repaired!

I BOUGHT IT "BRANDNEW" For $238.66 AFTER TAX! Why would or should I be forced to pay almost 3x as much as I paid when I bought it brand new! And it's against the law to charge a customer more for a repair than what the total value and or purchase price of an item actually cost! So then he without my knowledge, cancelled out my entire warranty on my laptop and lied to me saying that it had water damage! When asked for proof of such "water damages" he said he will email the proof. That NEVER HAPPENED!! And he closed out my entire case!

Original review: April 13, 2018

Worst computer I've ever bought. Freezes regularly, loses data, keeps updating without my consent. Probably would've been more satisfied throwing my money down the toilet; at least then HP wouldn't have it for such a worthless product.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hewlett Packard?

Original review: April 11, 2018

I bought my HP Envy from HP.com, they estimate a month to build, so I pushed back graduate program start date. To my surprise, it came a week early, however, the next day I noticed (what I assume is the fan), making a clicking/rattling noise, as if something is stuck inside of it. The noise got more frequent so I contacted HP support which required me to download a BIOS update before they would agree to have it shipped back for repair. Now the fan is louder than ever, and I am going to have to pay out of pocket to get my laptop repaired locally because I can not push my classes back again. Should have bought a MacBook, and I will next time. Long story short; buy a MacBook.

Original review: April 8, 2018

Bought new HP laptop from Best Buy for under $500 Oct 2017. The hinge came apart from inside and it became very difficult to open and close it. I called their repair place in INDIA. Took 35 minutes to get an answer. When got an answer from a person on the other end, it went downhill after that. Apparently HP does not support the case the computer comes in, even though they say it is covered for a year. Sent pictures as best I could which was very hard since it was more inside the case then outside. The girl said almost immediately that she showed it to her supervisor and I would have to pay almost $400 to get it fixed. So much for the 1 year that it was supposed to be covered.

I asked to talk to supervisor and he said same thing. I used to supervise a call center. I am fairly sure she handed to the person sitting next to her. HP should not be using INDIA to answer calls of this importance. It is apparent that their job there was to not do any repairs that are covered under HP guarantees. Perhaps they get a commission for refusing. They said it was impossible for me to talk directly to the repair place. That they sent the pictures there already. Keep in mind this is Sunday and they are closed. They said that HP in Indiana told them I would have to pay to get it fixed.

I called Saturday and gave all the same info the gal told me that the computers was down and I would have to call today and they would send me a box for repairs. No problem. Not sure where she was from but not in the same room as the others were in. She never gave me a claim number. Case Number ** was created for me on Sunday. So for a computer that the hinge came apart from inside and made it difficult to open and close is not covered under hardware 6 months after purchase even though they said everything was covered for a year. Screwed over and out $500 and got to buy a new computer. Trust me it won't be HP.

Original review: April 5, 2018

I have to admit HP bends over backwards for customers. I am having trouble with the printer HP 8710 OfficeJet Pro but they have been awesome. Jerry is a case manager and has followed up regularly. The ladies at Instant Ink have been helpful too. I am writing this because this whole thing has been pretty funny even though it has been a real PITA but the customer service has been great. One thing for sure is so far they all speak English and they don't seem to be Muslim.

Original review: April 4, 2018 When I purchased my HP laptop it has a few issues. They took it for repairs. Since then it was very difficult to get any updates regarding my laptop and the repairing status. Customer service doesn't return calls, they don't know what's the status for the repairs etc. It's already almost 4 months since I bought their laptop and I actually don't have it. They asked me if I'd like to have a replacement, and suggested me to have cheaper and worse unit instead of my purchased item.

It's already almost 4 month since I paid my money and I have no computer, no information and no place to appeal. Sounds like a small company fraud, but yes, this is HP service and the real story. Think twice before you buy from HP.

Original review: March 28, 2018

Last year I bought a 17.3-inch Laptop for $1100. Geek Squad text support work on it already over 20 hours. Now it is in repair because the screen is flickering. I also bought another laptop for $350. It is super slow like a ten-year-old computer. Once I loved HP but I guess those times are over.

Original review: March 26, 2018

This is the 4th HP/Compaq computer I've had over the years, the companies I've worked for tend to use Dell, maybe because I worked in Austin. A note on the software, Microsoft loaded 10 on my computer one night without my permission and I hate Microsoft and this piece of ** 10, and could not go back-7 was ok.

Original review: March 26, 2018

Friendly format/easy to use. Durable - we have always bought HP computers and printers due to the excellent quality and reliability. We haven't ever had any serious issues comp with the HP computers or printers.

Original review: March 25, 2018

I thought it would be difficult to use but it was so easy and nice to use. I'm not very good with electronics but I didn't have any problems with it at all.

Original review: March 24, 2018

Bought the HP laptop 5 or 6 years ago - never had an issue with it. My wife and I use it daily. HP provides ongoing updates. My experience is that HP is a durable product whether it is a computer or printer. I have used HP products for about 18 years.

Original review: March 23, 2018

I have had this laptop a year now, started calling support in December which at that time I had only had it for 9 months. I have called support because of blue screen and shutdown issues. First they told me I needed the extended protection (which I had already paid for). Called them again in March after several more blue screens and shutdowns and at first the man told me I would have to pay them to ship me a copy of the Windows program if the Windows on the computer was defective or buy a drive to download it and reinstall it on computer. I told him that just wasn't right as you used to get a copy of the Windows with a computer purchase but those days seem to be long gone. After more testing on the computer drives they finally sent me a box to ship it for repair. Got it back today and it isn't blue screen yet but updates took over 45 minutes before computer would boot up for operation.

Called support while it was trying to configure Windows and the first thing he said is, "We have a pay program that can help you with this. Otherwise you have to wait until updates complete and it may take a while." I told him I am not paying a paid program for something that should be back by their apparent useless warranty since all they want to do is sell you more products and services instead of correcting the original issue with their equipment, it doesn't matter if it is software vs. hardware. It is still their product that all of this is assembled and loaded on. I'm sitting here right now and it tells me the Windows update could not complete. This is the worst computer I have ever owned and I have had many Acer, Dell, Asus, Homebuilt system. I will not purchase another HP due to the poor Customer Service that I have had with this Pavilion Laptop.

Original review: March 23, 2018

I purchased an HP computer last year and it has been plagued with pop ups insisting that I upgrade the drivers immediately after unpacking it. It's unfair to consumers to purchase a brand new computer and be asked to she'll out additional money in order for it to operate properly. I will never purchase another HP computer again.

Original review: March 23, 2018

Many computers do not have great customer support, esp. if you buy online. The HP is very reliable and I have had two in the last 10 or so years.

Original review: March 22, 2018

I am very unhappy with this HP Envy TouchSmart Notebook computer. I've had it now for 3 years. If I knew then what I know now, I would have brought back after I bought it. Even writing this letter is a challenge. The cursor constantly moves on you when composing a letter. Me not being a touch typist, has to constantly find in the passage where my newly typed letters went to a correct...like several times during this letter. I guess because I'm not a college student who has to write a lot of papers and I don't work corresponding, I have tolerated it. However, right now I failed a typing test because of this glitch that will cost me a potential job. Also, there are other inconsistencies I can't describe that gives me no confidence working from home. I am not giving this laptop away or selling it. I'm throwing it in the garbage where it belongs and buying a Dell. Good riddance! Never again.

Original review: March 22, 2018

This is a pared down version which won't even give me audio on YouTube. But has been reliable on the whole. A prior HP was more expensive, but much better and more versatile.

Original review: March 21, 2018

HPs are very durable. I have owned numerous HP products in the past such as monitors, 3 in 1 printers, desktops and I plan to buy another in the future. When I have contacted customer service they were very helpful and polite.

Original review: March 21, 2018

I am not very computer smart or savvy but this HP chrome book I have makes it seem as though I am. Also it is very durable. I know this because my granddaughter loves watching her shows on it and she is only 3 yrs old.

Original review: March 20, 2018

I have use my HP computer for 5 years without any problems. My HP Pavilion run anything I want to use from word processing to games. Looking for a reasonable prices computer, HP has them.

Original review: March 20, 2018

Easy to operate, excellent speed, and works well with Windows. Best bang for the buck when I bought it at Best Buy. Recommended by friends and the staff and never regretted the purchase.

Original review: March 19, 2018

Called HP because my computer was crashing with an error message the video card is failing. 1st person who answered was not helpful & when I asked to please speak to another person he started punching the keypad numbers making an irritating noise that went on for 3-4 minutes before I hung up on him. 2nd person who answered gave me a case number for warranty support and a phone number that was not a working number. I called him back and he said I misunderstood. 3rd person who answered said there was no support for my computer even though I paid for extended warranty on purchase in Dec 26, 2017. No help unless I paid $60 for assistance.

Original review: March 19, 2018

I love my HP. I have had it forever & it has never given me any problems. This is the second HP I have owned, the last one finally died after 7 years & being hacked several times.

Original review: March 18, 2018

I've owned this HP desktop for 10+ years. Initially, I had software difficulty and had data loss. With the newer versions of Windows, operation has improved, but it still hangs regularly now.

Original review: March 18, 2018

I have really enjoyed using my HP computer. It has been very easy to use and learn how to use. And if I ever have any questions at all HP support is always there to give me a helping hand!!

Original review: March 17, 2018

I purchased my current HP Envy x360 laptop in June 2017. Nothing but problems soon after I got it. Constantly shuts down and restarts in the middle of programs, doesn't respond to commands, ads/music will just start playing randomly. At first it was just occasionally then got increasingly worse. Finally took it back to the store I purchased from and they did some work on it (told me it wasn't the computer) but these problems still persist. IT IS THE COMPUTER. My previous laptop was not a HP, had it for approximately 8 years, never a problem. Ready to throw this one out the door. So frustrating to spend this kind of money to have something that is so inferior.

Original review: March 17, 2018

I choose HP because I loved my HP printer so much - always an excellent value. Bought my HP used, have been using it daily for five years, and have had not had any problems with it.

Original review: March 17, 2018

I have owned a number of HPs over the years. Latest is low end laptop (4GB HD, 15.6 screen, AMD processor) for which I paid $199 on sale in December 2016. Complaints on web about how slow it is. But to me it seems plenty fast, but I am not a "gamer" and use for web access and scientific writing and research.

Hewlett Packard expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Formerly known as the Hewlett-Packard Company, Hewlett Packard Enterprise, or HP, is a multinational technology company headquartered in Palo Alto, Calif. Their line of desktop, tablet and laptop computers offer consumers a wide selection of devices to fit any computer need.

• HP Pavilion: The HP Pavilion is the basic model of desktop and laptop PCs for home use. The Pavilion line of laptops offers the same type of performance in a portable computer.

• HP Envy: The HP Envy, a more powerful computer than the Pavilion, is designed to run programs that require more powerful hardware. The Envy is also available as an all-in-one computer and a laptop.

• HP Omen: The HP Omen is the company’s performance line of PCs. The Omen tower desktop is built for power while the Omen X gaming machine is a cube-shaped high-performance PC. HP’s Omen laptop is the company’s portable gaming computer.

• HP Z2 mini: The HP Z is a workstation PC designed to run business applications and maximize productivity. The Z2 Mini is a small workstation in a compact case. HP also offers Z model laptops for businesses.

• HP Sprout Pro: The HP Sprout Pro is a 3-D scanning PC designed for educational and creative purposes. It is an all-in-one PC built to be easy to use, combining 3-D capture and editing tools to keep manageability and workflow accessible.

• Best for: HP computers are best for casual users, businesses, gamers and anyone else looking for a PC.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs