HP Computers

Compare Computer Brands

Research top Computer Brands recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I opened my new laptop purchased from Harvey Norman and wifi does not work properly. After 3 hrs of troubleshooting, problem still persists. Dead upon arrival and company still does not want to replace this. I was promised twice that this laptop will be replaced.

I have had HP Computers for at least 30 years, I have never had such bad experience with this support team this go around!!! I got lock out of my hp today, they wanted to charge my credit card over a 100.00$, not only that, I ask what is my warranty for, they said hardware. This is going on while trying to get them to help me in the lock out. THEY HAD ENOUGH NERVE TO TRY TO SELL ME A SOFTWARE WARRANTY IN THE PROCESS!!! I told them why would I want to buy another warranty when I can't get the help I need with the one I have... The bottom line is I would never buy another hp in my life, I would take an acer over an hp at the moment... The price you pay for this computer is a rip off, consumer service included!!! HP you have lost a consumer, NEVER WILL I BUY ANOTHER HP!!! This one is going out the door!!!

So I bought a HP Pavilion 15 laptop at Staples. First day I had it I knew something was wrong. HP says in specs that up to 9 hours 15 minutes battery life can be expected. I used mine for 4 and half hours and it was warning me to connect to adapter to charge battery. So I set up a chat session through HP's support site and a person connected and proceeded to gain access to my laptop via remote access. The support person downloaded a bios update and uninstalled and reinstalled a couple drivers related to power management. Then ask if I could be contacted the next day to see if battery life improved. So I set up a agreed time in the AM and proceeded to use my PC and run the laptop through a couple complete drains as instructed to calibrate battery.

Well the next day the time rolled around for the tech to call and yet nobody called. I still had problems and another issue had shown itself. My power adapter would get really hot while charging battery and using laptop. I mean hot enough you wouldn't want to hold it very long. Of course since the tech never called back it was problem knowing what to do next. On top of that I noticed my HP support assistant indicated that my warranty was activated a month earlier than I even owned the PC? Even though I thought it was brand new. Of course that led to filing a dispute with warranty over that issue.

After deciding to tell my story I was not surprised by how many people have had similar problems with HP over technical support. I read that HP hires a outside support company to handle problems and I'll bet it's not in the US either. I have worked with support from Dell, Acer, and Samsung. None of them perfect with their own issues. Heck Samsung lost a Chromebook I sent in for repair. But HP takes the award for least amount of satisfaction solving a problem. When the tech person can't even tell if I have a removable battery or an internal one that makes me think they know very little about the product itself. How would you feel taking your car in to a shop and they asked you if the motor was in front or in the back? You probably would run far away from that shop right?

I think you're better off skipping basic technical support and call up HP and asking for your problem to be escalated to actually tech's that can solve your problem. Not those who follow basic flow charts and provide you with basic 101 troubleshooting. Also, if you have any issues at all that show up after you buy it. Take it back and get a refund. Don't bother with support, HP doesn't know how to provide support. Probably get better solutions on their forums than talking with a support rep.

I wish there was a way to give this company negative stars. I am the unfortunate owner of several HP products to include three HP Envy 17" laptops, two HP all-in-one printers, and one HP Phoenix Desktop. With the exception of the printers, I have had to deal with the corporate resolutions (a completely ludicrous title) and technical services for these items. I have had major problems with the computers and now that the warranty was barely out I get no resolution to issues that I complained about during the warranty. The company had the audacity to tell me that the average life of their products is 2-3 years. ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?!

When a consumer spends hundreds and thousands of dollars on a product that is supposed to be the company's top of the line, one would infer that it would be an investment that would last a bit longer than that. I will NEVER buy or recommend this company's products to anyone. Please avoid them like the plague and spend your money on a more worthwhile product. This company's products and service are absolutely garbage.

I bought an HP Envy 12 months ago. And like 9 days. It started messing up 6 months in. I contacted HP, a person was able to go into computer over the phone and delete then download some new software update or something. It sort of fixed it. But not exactly. I dealt with it but when it stopped again, I got with HP and they wanted me to buy some 2 or 3 hundred dollar warranty extension! I wouldn't, they told me what to do this time to fix it, I couldn't, they said I'd need to contact a service repair center. That it was past warranty.

This computer is JUNK. It's been 12 months and about 9 days, here's exactly what is wrong: Screen blank, black, I've done everything you can do to fix it BUT take it to a repair place somewhere to fix it! When you type, cursor jumps all over the place! You can be a couple words in and if you aren't careful you will have ended up in something somewhere while you're typing away! I have got with HP about this as well, like 3 or 4 months in. They do some stuff or whatever (say they did) then tell you to do this or that, then after an hour or a day or a week or a month, it ALWAYS starts the cursor jumping AGAIN!!

Anyone that has EVER dealt with the cursor jumping around while they're typing KNOWS what that does! It ruins whatever you're writing, so you have to fix and correct it all the time, it can end up somewhere where you're not typing an email or letter or whatever and everything you're typing will be in some other part of the computer, causing MAJOR computer problems and lastly, makes you want to throw the computer into the street, beat it to death with a hammer, then run over it with a huge truck. (Imagine the mental frustration or pain that causes someone.) They of course want a fortune to fix it and it already cost 650 dollars only 12 months ago, and ship it, so no thanks HP. It shouldn't cost me almost a thousand dollars a year to have a regular computer. I should have one of best for that much if I'm paying an average of a thousand dollars every year!!! It should last over a year anyway!!!

So, I could go on about a couple of other smaller things but those I can live with, I just wish the screen worked and that I could type a few things. I don't play ANY computer games, I'm 51 years old and don't know how! There's absolutely no reason why the screen won't work but they are saying now that it's probably the LCD something or another, that the BIOS recovery didn't fix, the other things tried didn't fix it so that it's probably the LCD or whatever and to give another 300 bucks, mail it, wait, etc, etc.

Honestly, this has been a horrible experience, with the customer service, the insinuations I may have played games and the screen broke, and all the money traps they try to get you in. If you buy an HP, you'll see, you'll find out. It is awful and they don't give 2 cents! All I can say is if it's on sale at Best Buy, that don't mean you're getting any kind of deal! HP will never get another dime from me or anyone I can warn!! BTW, it took like an hour to type this due to the cursor jumping all around and me having to stop each time to fix stuff, also, the only way I am able to use this computer is to use my HDMI cable to my tv until I can get a monitor, but not an hp one of course! Sorry so long, have a good day!! :)

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hewlett Packard?

If I could do a negative review on this company and experience, I would. We buy thousands of dollars a month of computers, printers, ink for our company. I bought 15 new desktops, average per desktop $800 each, printers on a regular. I call customer support and they transferred me about 6 times and then hung up. Call back and then he put me to some voicemail. I will never buy another HP product again from here on out and I can't wait till the day arrives where I don't have one piece of HP products in our stores.

If I could give zero stars I would for the HP's Technical Company. HP does not have their own technical department so they have a contract with another company to handle technical issues. When I called I was provided with different cost and inaccurate information. My wireless was not connecting. I did everything I knew manually to try and override the command. When I called tech support they ran me thru the same procedures and some extra steps. By the end of the call and a restart my wireless was still not working. Instead they requested I run to the store and purchase a cord to connect from my laptop to the router itself. I requested a refund since the issue was not resolved. I was not going to run around town dealing with this. The refund was denied so I called corporate. It was not cheap to speak with the technician who couldn't even fix the problem. Needless to say I continue to get the runaround and no resolution.

Point, do not use tech support for HP. They are not affiliated with the company so if the problem does not get resolve they will still keep your money. They will either charge one time flat rate or monthly payments for a year. Either way money is being thrown away. I will NEVER EVER use the tech support again. Customer service is HORRIBLE and because they are not part of HP the company can not assist whatsoever. The only thing HP does is continue to forward my complaint and request that the second hand tech company refund me. I hope this helps anyone who is thinking of calling or reaching out for tech support through HP.

I got this cool computer on my last birthday. My husband spent over 1000$ for it; it was cool and reliable so he got refurbished one with the warranty 90 days. I was using it less than a year when it completely died. Totally. No power, nothing. I tried everything, restart, hard reset, then I went to technician store and he said it might be pc jack but can be motherboard. In a week he called me and said, "It's the worst, you need a new one." I tried to contact HP customer service and talked to them if they can fix it. Well, first I was told I can send it for 99$ and if they don't fix it they will send it back. Well, I missed that guy called and when I called back to talk where I should send it I was told absolutely different story technician for $150 + whatever need to be fixed. I asked for supervisor. He did not introduce himself, was rude, angry and said he does not care if I buy from HP again. HP will stand no matter what.

Well, the computer can't be repaired, I will get a new one and I am sure it will not be HP. Because customer service should take care of customers. I strongly believe that I don't need to buy a new computer every year. I also believe that one year old computer is not an expectancy for laptop. My computer was refurbished but we got it on amazon from HP. Will I buy from HP again? Never. Because I want someone to take care of me. By the way, the customer service does not speak properly English, has attitude and have no idea what is the problem.

I had trouble with the All-in-One Desktop Pavilion Computer from the day I bought it. It finally just kept telling me to reboot the system but it doesn't reboot. I called them for help, my warranty had expired 11 days prior, which I have been having problems the whole year. It has probably been the hard drive the whole time but HP wanted another $300, for a hard drive that had been malfunctioning the whole time. No customer service, no help. Best Buy told me it was not worth fixing. $800 wasted on an HP!! I bought it from OfficeMax. They would not help.

I bought a 'new' HP laptop and found out that it had been sold before, registered with HP by that person in August of 2016 and then I bought it from Walmart as new in December 2016. I have notified HP customer support & was on their site for more than 3 hrs. last night trying to get helped with this to no avail. I keep getting no reply emails that say my warranty has been fixed but nothing about the way I was cheated. I first sought help Dec. 22, 2016 I believe & this is still not fixed. I own 2 other HP products & unless this is fixed right away I will not be buying anymore & will voice my opinion about this even more.

My daughter bought herself a HP notebook 250 G4 Core i5 for her A levels and university course. Right from the start there was a problem with the sound but as it was intermittent, she decided to live with it. Big mistake as HP only replace faulty items if notified within 30 days. Having tried to get the problem fixed we have had the unit sent back to Poland and worked on by two engineers in the UK at on-site visits as well as spending hours on the phone to the Support team. The problem has not been solved and now HP want files and information sending over and are talking about the laptop having to be sent back to Poland again. This is totally unacceptable and I will never purchase a HP product in the future and would advise you not to either. Customer service is very poor and to refuse to replace a faulty product is a disgrace.

HP Envy 750-167c - First, the idiot who designed this DVD reader/writer should be fired! Mounting it vertically instead of horizontally is inviting a dropped and broken DVD. Windows 10 is a bloody disaster! The question is not what is wrong, but what is right about it. Today with a 1 page word docx open, my computer locked up. Even control/alt/delete would not help in escaping, so I pulled the plug. This is only one of about 500 failures experienced so far within 1 year of using this HP PC. Every day I have to reboot to escape/avoid another lockup.

The Microsoft messages boards are full of ANGER over endless problems with Windows 10. I have posted about 20 issues with Windows 10 on this MS website. Now the lawsuits against Microsoft and HP have begun. I damn sure want my revenge too, and am looking for a class action lawsuit to recover damages against my home business.

Tower less than 1 yr old. Crashed in 2 weeks after taking it out of the box. Sent it back. 2 months later yes, crashed again. They sent a flash drive. 4 hrs. later, got it back. Another 5 hrs. to reload it. Then on Sunday 1/08/17, crashed again. 3 times in less than 1 year. Watch for me on Youtube taking my shotgun to it. NEVER AGAIN will I buy an HP product.

I liked my HP Envy 15T when it worked. However, I've had to send it in 3 different times last year with the 3rd two weeks ago. Sad to write, each time I've sent it in, it has been for the Exact Same issue - bubbles in the screen. Being a Career IT Professional myself for the past 17 years, I initially re-imaged the laptop myself in June before sending it in to see if this would resolve the issue and save HP some postage as well as my time without the laptop. Re-imaging didn't resolve the bubbles so, I sent it in to HP detailing exactly what the laptop was experiencing as well as informing them that I also re-imaged the laptop which is what the tech over the initial chat recommended.

Lo and Behold, HP received my laptop, only re-imaged the system and sent it back to me only to experience the bubbles in the screen once again. So, I ended up purchasing a Dell Precision Laptop. Regardless, I attempted to contact HP again regarding the bubbles appearing on the Envy 15T's screen and they ONCE AGAIN, had me send the laptop in to them only to - You Guessed It, re-image and send back to me of which, Did Not Resolve the bubbles in the screen. Unfortunately, I nor my employees will NOT be ordering from HP again since, HP leans heavily on an Albert Einstein script: "Doing the same thing over and over again IS the definition of insanity."

My HP Compaq has not failed me. I had guidance from a friend that knew ins and outs of computer and internet. Only problems now are I tried to get online. It's not allowing. People say too old and new New Computer. Can't afford New one. Besides this Compaq stayed packed away and not used for years.

I am leaving this review to highlight the accuracy and efficiency of the in-store insurance and repair plan. As well as the high level of customer service provided by the staff. My refurbished HP AMD A8 gaming laptop purchased in the store in Orange County California had fan issues two years into the three year plan. They quickly fixed the fan even though there was an issue finding my insurance plan right away. They sorted it out and I was only charged a small co-pay. I got my laptop back and they had also fixed a previously non-functioning camera and speaker at no extra charge. Way to go!

Purchased another HP laptop (shame on me). Second one in three years to stop working. HP phone support was rude and useless. Best he could do was get credit card number to pay for shipping. Still under manufacture warranty. Done with HP everything.

Haven't had any problems as of yet. Like the ease of operation of the the device. This is my third computer. I owned Dell and Acer computers in the past; both gave me problems that required costly repairs after less than a year. So far all is well with my HP desktop computer.

I am having a horrible time with my new HP ENVY Laptop. It cannot stay connected to the internet. I sent the computer in for repair; they kept it 2 months then returned it in the same condition. Now they have sent me a new internet card, but the technician that is supposed to install the part has made no contact. My twin granddaughters each got a small RCA tablet for Xmas. I can connect both of them, my old laptop and the smart tv but when I turn on this new HP ENVY it sucks up all the wireless service and nothing can connect! It's like a black hole sucking up all the internet signal! This laptop is ruining my life. I am 3 months behind on my business books. I want to boot it out into a snow bank but I have $1000.00 investment in it! Don't waste your money on HP! I bought at Costco and they won't back it because 3 months had passed before I noticed what was happening.

I have two HP products in my home. I have an HP all in one and HP laptop. I have had both for about two yrs. For unknown reasons both HP computers will not connect to the internet through wifi or Ethernet. I have tried every fix known to man and the computers will not work. I have other computers that are not HP that are working without a problem. I have also researched and found that thousands of other consumers are having the same problems, if not worse. I will never buy an HP product again.

The Thinkpad is too large and too close to the palm of the hands. It gets bumped numerous times when using the keyboard. Other than the Thinkpad being in the way, the laptop has been a durable product.

HP does the job that I want it to do. It is fast & quick. I would recommend this to my family's, friends about HP Laptop. HP Laptop have a good performance, clear picture, it get the job done. The battery life is longer than I expected.

We use HP products for 17 years. A few years back the products and the service are the worse ever. They let you 30... 40 minutes waiting, when finally you can talk to a technical support agent, he/ she doesn't do much asking the same questions over and over and transfer us from one department to other like playing with you and your time. All calls are sending to India, this is just ridiculous.

HP ENVY ALL-IN-ONE 27-b0xx desktop - HP quality control is slipping badly. I purchased two of these computers on Black Friday. One works; one doesn't. The one that doesn't had "out-of-the-box" problems including: a) microphone not working, b) intermittent ethernet issues, c) bad keyboard. I spent days with 5 different support engineers trying to determine that these were indeed hardware vs software problems. The unit was shipped back. The replacement unit had the same problem with the microphone not working. Cordana couldn't hear anything from the internal microphone UNLESS I connected a headset to the audio port. (Sounds like a misconfiguration issue.) Now I need to return this unit as well. Needless to say, I will NOT be buying HP computers any longer. I've been a customer for 20 years and am amazed at the bad "out-of-box" experience. What a waste of time!

Love my HP laptop. User friendly. Great value. Always great customer support from HP. Lit keyboard is great as I can use my computer in the dark. Also, enjoy the touchscreen and keyboard.

I contacted them and they have not helped me with my problem but referred me to McAfee. HP sold me it. And, they did not look into the problem. Then McAfee scammed me. I am afraid to buy another HP computer laptop since they give you a trial of McAfee on their computers which are the worst people to deal with, and end up referring you to get your computer infected with malware and everything else. I would never buy another HP for that reason. My issues have gone on for almost a year now, unresolved by either company.

I never had any issues yet with the computer and it was the best value for the storage and processor compared to other similar brands. It is easy to operate and the touch screen is awesome. The computer came with an i7 processor and 1TB of storage so the computer is pretty fast, the 27 inch HD touchscreen is amazing and it was easy to set up. The all-in-one desktop makes a neat appearance. The only downside is that the USB ports are on the back and bottom of screen but that is only a minor detail.

The HP computer works well. The support group is out of the US and the people manning the phones so not always understand the question/problem. Also their accents are most of the time, very heavy and difficult to understand. When I ask to be transferred to a person in the US, they only transfer me to another of their group out of the US. HP has made a good laptop computer. I enjoy using it very much. I find the upgrade to Windows 10 has been remarkable easy. I do feel that the support group greatly lacks in the fact that they do not always understand what is being asked and they seem to resent the fact that they have been asked to be transferred to a human in the USA. I resent the fact that I cannot talk to a USA human to resolve the issue in a timely manner. IT is extremely frustrating.

I had this desktop HP Envy 20 all in one computer for little over 2 years. The noisy fan started way before the warranty went out. Two months after the warranty expired the fan really got loud. I did not know that the fan was going to get louder. I called HP and they wanted to replace whatever was wrong for $300.00. The Computer cost about 400.00. What a ripoff. I have worked with HP products for years. I then bought a HP I7 27 inch all in one desktop and had it for two weeks when where you put your dvd movies broke and my dvd disk got stuck. So I had to take it back. HP has become very inferior with their products. I have always spoke highly of HP. This will probably be my last. By the way I did not mention my HP laptop broke where the screws were, because the plastic does not hold up well under heat. I got that fix and it broke again. I think I should get the message don't you?

Excellent durability. It has lasted several years without any loss of function, far above average in functionality. Present HP laptop, without putting further cash into it, has kept up with technology, has adequate speed, and so far has been flawless in service for 7 years.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Formerly known as the Hewlett-Packard Company, Hewlett Packard Enterprise, or HP, is a multinational technology company headquartered in Palo Alto, Calif. Their line of desktop, tablet and laptop computers offer consumers a wide selection of devices to fit any computer need.

• HP Pavilion: The HP Pavilion is the basic model of desktop and laptop PCs for home use. The Pavilion line of laptops offers the same type of performance in a portable computer.
  • HP Envy: The HP Envy, a more powerful computer than the Pavilion, is designed to run programs that require more powerful hardware. The Envy is also available as an all-in-one computer and a laptop.
  • HP Omen: The HP Omen is the company’s performance line of PCs. The Omen tower desktop is built for power while the Omen X gaming machine is a cube-shaped high-performance PC. HP’s Omen laptop is the company’s portable gaming computer.
  • HP Z2 mini: The HP Z is a workstation PC designed to run business applications and maximize productivity. The Z2 Mini is a small workstation in a compact case. HP also offers Z model laptops for businesses.
  • HP Sprout Pro: The HP Sprout Pro is a 3-D scanning PC designed for educational and creative purposes. It is an all-in-one PC built to be easy to use, combining 3-D capture and editing tools to keep manageability and workflow accessible.
  • Best for HP computers are best for casual users, businesses, gamers and anyone else looking for a PC.

Compare Computer Brands