HP Computers

Compare Computer Brands

Research top Computer Brands recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I purchased an HP Envy 15T-AE000 CTO laptop in September of 2015. At the end of January 2016, the laptop shut down suddenly. The laptop did not power on even with the AC adapter plugged in. I contacted HP service and went through a diagnostic over the phone. They determined that the problem was caused by a defective AC adapter. They sent me a replacement AC adapter, but the laptop still did not power on. I had to send the laptop to HP for service. They replaced a defective network card and replaced the motherboard.

The laptop functioned correctly until May 2017 when it suddenly shut down again. This time, I purchased a new AC adapter which "fixed" the power on problem. It is now July 2017 and the laptop suddenly shut down again - no power. I am going to purchase yet another AC adapter just so that I can power up the laptop and move my data to an external source. I don't plan to use the laptop again after I move my data. It seems that a laptop should function correctly for at least 2 years. Unfortunately, I have not had such luck with the HP Envy. I don't plan to purchase another HP branded laptop in the future because of the hours that I have squandered trying to troubleshoot, talk to HP support and attempt to recover my data (multiple times) from this laptop. I am so frustrated that I would never recommend the HP Envy or any other HP laptop in the future.

HP Envy laptop locking up every time sleep mode comes on. I have had a previous HP laptop before and had an issue locking up on a previous computer also. I will never buy another HP product again. I have spent a lot of time researching this and spoke to HP customer service about this problem. This computer is a lemon and a lot of people have problems with it from what I have seen on some boards. A couple problems could be the Intel driver when converted from Windows 8 to Windows 10 or the biometric sensor configuration. I finally have had the time to mess with getting the issue addressed with HP and they wanted to charge me $49 to try and fix it and would still charge it if they didn't fix this issue. It locks up every day. I am thinking of filing a formal complaint with the Consumer Protection Agency. Any ideas would be appreciated.

In purchasing an HP Pavillion 17t ab-000 Laptop, I purchased their "Care Pack" extended warranty plan. There are various versions of this. I purposely chose one that included the 24/7 "SmartFriend" live assistance. First, when you purchase this extended warranty, unlike most all other extended warranties, this one did not start when the manufacturer warranty expired. It started immediately, which means you lose a year of a warranty which they neglect to reference to in any way that would alert you to it. Second, after utilizing the "SmartFriend" feature several times in 6 months, I attempted to use it again. I was unable to as the HP Tech I was online with claimed I did not have even the Care Pack. After an hour and a half, and my insistence, considering I had a confirmation email, a card sent snail mail, etc. confirming, they amazingly discovered I did in fact have the Care Pack.

Then they claimed my version of Care Pack, did "NOT" include the 24/7 SmartFriend!! This they would not concede to. I was livid!! HP has the "Personal Service" of an online, or over the phone, live person to take your money with a smile. Then when you need that live person to assist you with an issue, they turn into this incredibly automated unable to talk with a live person "Merry Go Round", except for a Tech support person, that supposedly can not (will not) either investigate a matter as such, nor transfer you to someone that can, only a phone number. I finally was able to talk to someone in the Care Pack "Affiliation", because regardless that you purchased it through HP, it seems that it is a third party. Then, of course they had to transfer me to the "SmarFriend" department.

Incredibly, I was told after some "genuine" investigating from a very helpful, and diligent rep that I "did" have the SmartFriend" included in the package I purchased. Which he proceeded to correct the matter and enter the info onto my account. I inquired about receiving an email, or some form of confirmation. He was unable to email it, but did say it would now be listed in "My Services", in the HP Assistant, and he gave me his name. As you can imagine, I searched My Services, and it was not present!! In an attempt to contact that same rep., I was told how many locations that existed (how convenient for HP) I was attempting to contact. That it was "impossible" to talk to that same rep! Even his name revealed zero! A year later and many attempts at rectifying this and HP has created a "veil" of incredible deception, and "LIES", and still do not have a product I purchased.

Their documentation is so convoluted, that it not only does not make you "obviously" aware of the fact of the extended warranty's start. Along with mixing options and coverage of several different packages, in their Extended Plan Descriptions Package info. I have purchased several Laptops, Desktops, Printers, accessories from HP. This is an unbelievable manner in which they treat customers, especially those that have been a long time customers!!!

The first day I received the laptop product I experienced problems such as black out screens, and camera issues. I called the HP tech who said that this had to do with the computer sitting for an extended period of time. I thought -strange- but ok. After a month, the screen began blacking out, not auto-saving documents, keys were not functioning correctly and there was a rattling sound in the laptop. I sent in the laptop for repairs 3 times before I could get a resolution- I wanted my money back, HP gave me gift cards to purchase another computer from them. I did. This time, I decided on an all-in-one Pavilion desktop. To say the least, I have had the exact same problems. The camera and mic were not working right out of the box, I returned it. Bought another computer from them - same desktop different model because this is what I need.

Currently, I have wasted a great deal of time, effort and money dealing with a company that is more interested in selling poorly manufactured products than pleasing their customers. The mic is not working on the new computer. After spending hours on the phone with the tech and resetting the computer, the screen blinked a few times and blacked out. It is updating drivers constantly that aren't taking effect. Currently I am trying to get my money back to buy another brand of computer. This quality is unacceptable and is inexcusable. I now have no other computer and have to wait to hear back from the company.

So I purchased a HP Touchscreen Notebook from Office Depot on 7/11/2016. For the first 6 months, the computer worked great. By February, we noticed that the touch screen got a little weird. We never used the touch screen at all but we noticed that it started to click around on its own. It was still usable but it was kind of becoming a headache. By March, the touch screen had completely taken over the computer. It would open file folders or keep opening Cortana while trying to use the computer.

I took it to the Geek squad at Best Buy to have the touch screen deactivated on the computer. After they looked at the machine, they said that a sensor was going out in the screen and that very soon the screen would not work at all. I was a bit disturbed seeing as how I had purchased the computer less than a year ago. No more than 3 weeks after having the touch screen disabled, my wife calls me and says that there are all of these weird lines on the screen. I decided to contact HP to let them know that the computer was going out. I had to talk to 3 different guys over the phone and 2 on HP's chat service to finally get them to allow me to send my computer in.

After having my computer for a week, I get a call from a guy (Phillip) at the service center and now he is saying "Your LCD is cracked. That is why you are having the issues and it isn't covered under warranty." Well who cracked the LCD because it wasn't cracked when we sent it in. Then the worst part of the whole situation is the guy said that they could fix the computer for $489.00. I only paid $432.00 for the computer in the first place so why would I pay you more to fix it. This is the LAST time that I buy an HP product.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hewlett Packard?

HP Computers advertise that they offer a printer that you can use wireless, and hook into your WiFi. It worked for the first 8 months, but now whenever I go to print it doesn't work. It will no longer connect to my computer, so if I ever want to print anything I have to take it out of the shelving I had it placed in, put it next to my computer to hook into the one cord I have (looks like I will have to drop another $30 bucks on a long cord ). Turn the computer off, over and over, reprint, test print 10 - 15 time, do the trouble shooting thing over and over till finally after a few hours I can print one thing.

Then if I leave it for a while, and come back I have to go through the same 1 hour 2 hour cycle if you need to print again. Then when you want to contact them to help, it will end up being a week long journey into the abyss of lost time. They don't even have customer service reps answering their phones anymore. Junk, they need to take all wireless printer off shelf till they figure out how to use the technology.

Hp envy 13 ab022tu - Bought this latest model in Mar 2017 and only use it for 3 months not on frequent use (10 times within 3 months). Not able to connect to internet. Notice the screen looks mouldy with the imprint of the keyboard on the screen since day 1. Send it to service center and was told that the wifi card has an issue. The impression of the keyboard on the screen was told not able to do anything. I escalated this to Hp support and after 2 weeks of mail thru and forth finally the resolution given was... "every time when you want to use just use a piece of cloth to clean it and when you are not using it please put a cloth in between."

I have owned 4 HP computers and 5 HP printers. On Black Friday 2016 I purchased HP model number 15-ay196nr, an Intel Core i7 7th Generation laptop from Staples. I have had nothing but problems with this laptop. I recently purchased an HP Care Pack, because I noticed that the computer was sluggish. Tonight, 6/30/17, my volume went completely out on the computer which is still under the manufacturer's warranty as well as the HP Care Pack that I ordered. I called HP and was transferred to several HP representatives that were located in other countries. I was eventually told that the warranties did not cover software. Excuse me??? HP put this software on the volume software on the computer in the factory, not me.

I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER HP PRODUCT AS LONG AS I LIVE. Their service has gone to hell and all foreign customer service representative want to sell you something. Hewlett Packard you are a sell-out and your products do not stand the test of 6 months. If I could rate your product a 'zero', that would be too high. Shame on you for selling a piece of junk and not honoring your warranties! Bye and good riddance. Total waste of money!

Bought this computer new on QVC in February 2017 and it is now June 2017. I have had multiple issues and spent hours with their customer service. Their idea of customer service is sending your call to India and they say, "Yes you have a problem and for $200 we will fix it." Not my idea of customer service! Have taken it to a local computer service tech and he said this computer is 2 years old! It keeps dumping itself off the internet. I called them today and spent 6 hours with their tech from India. They could not figure it out either so they told me to save my files and do a system restore. Now in the 8th hour, I still don't know if it will work. No more HP products in my office! Mac may be my best option...

Under warranty I was given a HP officejet 8610 printer about 30 days ago and it broke down and another replacement was sent. I received it two days after they promised and it was missing the Ink Ctg with springs, Ink Ctg and the black attachment to the back. So I called and requested another one that was complete on 6/23/17 and returned the new incomplete 11:31am, 6/23/17. The customer no service lady never called me back all day so at 5pm I have been on hold for over 1 hr waiting for a supervisor so we could expedite shipment and reduce my personal home business loss since HP will not reimburse me. HP is going downhill and needs to get some USA based Customer Service Representatives to take charge and improve the service. Call me if you have any questions **.

I purchased a HP Flyer Red 15" laptop, I haven't even got to the point of downloading any files. I turned it on maybe five times and it went "Please wait" mode after spending most of a day with customer support (By the way they could barely speak English, big problem) 1-844-301-5828. After a complete check the operating program tanked. After many trips to a supervisor while I was on hold they wanted me to pay 45 to 65 dollars to ship me out a new one. You got to be kidding me!!! Not only did they not stand behind their product, they ship you off to a third party tech support. Bad bad way to run a company. I'm taking it back to Walmart with hopes they give a exchange for one that actually works and I Walmart drops them someday. HP is no good, hard to find without a computer to go online. They are the worst!!!

They wasted my time. Their website declined my cards - even though there were funds available. The next day, I see that HP has charged my cards. No confirmation, but over 1500.00 charged to my card. Contacted HP. Multiple transfers and no one really knew what to do or who I needed to talk to. I was a HP fan, but this has really tarnished their image for me. Now I am at risk of my credit score being compromised. Come to find out all of this because their system did not "like" my email domain?

I bought the laptop 10-pp010nr on December 2017 in Pittsburgh and after 6 months the detachable keyboard stop to work. After all the test suggested became evident that the keyboard must be replaced. I moved from work on UAE and calling the HP Customer Center they indicate a repair shop but they ask for original proof of purchase (using the serial number they already know that is under warranty). I explain the case. Ask why under "international" warranty. I can't have the repair requested. They just say after my request that is a limited international warranty. Very disappointed with the quality of the product and with their service post sell. This will be my last HP purchase.

I purchased this laptop (Hp 15 notebook) a few months ago. I have had software issue from day one. I've called about this issue over and over again. No help. My final call I was fed up and put the laptop on eBay so I can purchase a Dell. I was still having issue again. It runs slow. I can't stream. Same thing I call about every time. This time I couldn't get help because now I am out of warranty. I'm like "but it's the same issue. The same case number". But no progress. It was all about money.

First guy named was John, then Jj, then some lady, another guy and John again. I was told regardless if it's the same problem I need to pay for a care package so they can see what's wrong with it. I stated, "Listen you should have known what was wrong with it when I call before when the warranty was free". They were rude, ignorant. And half the time the English was poor so we couldn't communicate correctly. They had no sympathy, empathy or care. They wanted to make a sale. I have 3 HP laptops. All with extended warranty. I need to sell them because I will never support this company ever again. BUY SOMETHING ELSE. Buyer beware.

For those struggling with an unresolved HP issue, TALK TO THEM ON TWITTER. I learned this the hard way, after many lost hours speaking to people who had no idea what they were doing. I don't really need to detail the extremely negative experience you are in store for when you attempt to call HP customer service, it's well documented here and elsewhere. I don't 'tweet', but I made a Twitter account just to complain about HP. They hooked me up with the 'Escalations Team'. In contrast to the terribly trained and completely unqualified droves of 'customer service' employees HP has, the Escalations Team knows what's up. They speak clear English, have access to every part of the company, and keep in constant contact. Tweet them.

I purchase a HP Laptop 3 years ago from Sam's Club near my home and purchased a 2 year warranty. I guess HP doesn't care much about customer service, from my experience I have to say. If you need a laptop please save yourself some aggravation. Buy a Acer, Lenovo or a MacBook. I am just starting on this. I intend to never stop telling anyone that will listen how bad this experience has been. So my laptop works when it wants to. It has developed a problem with powering on and when on it wouldn't connect to WiFi. So after this issue was resolved, it now has a overheating problem and works for a few hours and shuts down and will not power on for a week or so. Needless to say what good is it to have a laptop that works like this.

I do not recommend any one to buy HP laptop. Customer service is a scam. They make you send your laptop if you have a problem with it which suppose to cover by their warranty and they want to charge you for it.

Called HP to see how to dump the memory on my HP LaserJet printer. Followed the Online Instructions. See this is an ongoing problem. Has nothing to do with me. Called said I could pay HP $19 to fix this ongoing problem. Supervisor please! Sent me a link, a link for the support page only. Joke was on me. I call back Now you want $40. Ok supervisor please. "Sir the more you call the higher the price will go." Hmmm I am not a legal guy but that's straight up Extortion. I get a chance to Blog it. They remove my blog. I am wondering how many people have paid this and how many millions they are making off of their software "Not fixed" problems. They even tried to blame Apple and my MAC. State Attorney General please!

I order my computer and dock and two monitors on May 19th and the sales rep said I could have the order in a few days. It is now June 7th and my computer is still not here. HP has lied to me ten times on when I would receive it from the purchase day all the way to their latest emails... see below. I understand you want to know why we are cancelling your order. I can see that the HP EliteBook Folio G1 Notebook PC is now in transit and scheduled to be delivered by Friday, 06/02/2017. The UPS tracking number. They refuse to compensate me any further and I wonder if I will ever receive what I paid 1700 dollars for. They have no information on how to contact anyone outside of their outsourced overseas customer service department which helps with nothing.

I purchased a HP- N/BOOK. HPPCL15ACI3M Serial 1:CND5373MPX in December 2015 from Singhagiri (Pvt) Ltd, Colombo 04, Sri Lanka with a 4-year warranty,

After four months I noticed a black dot on the screen and also malfunction of the battery charging slot, the repair center in T.B. Jaya Mawatha, Colombo 10. is very unprofessional and the front desk staff knowledge about computers were very poor, they wanted to put the blame on me and charge for the repair, I did not want to risk my laptop with them and I took it back.

Another few months later I found the USB ports was rusted and took this back to same place as I did not have any alternation, the front desk staff attitude was same and this time I managed to take this to the manager who had a good understanding, but he was reluctant to take any action as he was only few weeks on that seat. He gave me another repair center address and asked me to take it to that place. My advice to anyone who want a buy a HP Laptop, please think twice about the seller's reputation, service center responsibility. I do not blame machines but I am very disappointed with HP laptops service providers irresponsibility.

We purchased a HP 6831 in May of 2016 from MicroCenter in Chicago. For an additional $20 we purchased a 3 year warranty extension. Now, a little over 1 year later, the printer fails and I go to MicroCenter to get a replacement unit. (1) HP has discontinued the model, (2) the nearest model requires extra $30, (3) I must purchase a NEW warranty extension on the new printer, but - and this is really the reason for this post - (4) the old cartridges no longer work with the new HP Office Jet Pro 6978 though they fit perfectly. So we have $125 of ink that will not work with the new unit. This is planned obsolescence and just gouges the customer. We tried the "unlimited ink" option and found that to be very expensive - NOT a savings, as advertised. This is a a slam on HP and MicroCenter - a place my family has been patronizing for over 10 years.

I would not purchase another HP Envy printer. I have it for a while and the scanner just stopped working suddenly. The customer service wouldn't tell me how to fix one little step. They wanted me to pay!9.95 to get help. I paid $40 for the printer. They could be nicer and help people out. I would not recommend an HP product.

Bought the laptop HP Pavilion 15au624TX icore5, 7th gen in Feb 2017. By now three times complaints have been made for slow response, hard touch pad etc. Today, finally the support guy said, "You have a serious problem," after making me go through a 2-hour process to fix it over the telephone and through remote access. The problem, according to him was a faulty OS. He wanted me to go through another hour of resetting and further time for formatting and loading the OS afresh, with no guarantee that it would work well. I requested him to send an technician, as they did to rectify the touchpad, but he would not agree. That he said would be done if we reach the third stage of their hierarchy!!!

Did I pay Rs 59,000 (almost $950) to be treated like this? If they find there is a genuine problem why do they not send someone? I don't have to spend 5 hours following their instructions just because I made the mistake of paying them so much money. Why don't they just replace the laptop and do what they like to fix of cannibalise the parts for other machines? Very very insensitive of them. For me HP is dead.

Just a few short months after purchasing this computer I started experiencing problems which they gladly fixed because it was still under warranty. After the warranty expired the computer started with issues which they completely refused to fix unless and pay an exorbitant price to fix. Now, today, 5/2/17 the both the shift keys are not working so therefore I am not able to type any of the character keys. I called HP tech support and they are telling me I have to pay to get this fixed... Like seriously... What a ripoff... As you can see I am not able to use any of the character keys to express my anger and frustration at this. I would highly suggest for you not to purchase any HP products and their products and service. Both is ridiculous and a complete ripoff.

Don't waste your money on an HP. They send me an update which promptly screws up my laptop. Then when I call them about it, they say "Well, it's out of warranty and we did not tell you to install the update. So now you have to pay us for help to fix the problem our update created." What a frigging ripoff. If you ever think about buying an HP don't.

In March of 2016, I purchased an HP ENVY Desktop touchscreen. 1 year and 61 days (apparently 61 days too late), I call to get support with a mouse that is clicking on its own and white bubbles are popping up in the bottom right hand corner of my screen. It's also opening programs on its own and clicking out of text boxes when I'm typing. The response I got from HP solutions was that I was "out of date" and I would need to call a 3rd party for technical support, which I did, only to be pitched a line about purchasing Virus protection at $15/month and a $35 start up fee. Unbelievable at this point. Keep in mind, I paid over $1,600 for this computer and I've kept virus protection up to date the entire time. The 3rd party tried to tell me that someone has hacked my computer HP case # **. Apple here I come.

I bought an HP Streambook for 200 dollars a couple of months ago. It was pretty slow when I first used it, slower than the 4-year-old Chromebook I replaced it with. It also came with only one working speaker, and when I use the headphone jack only one headphone works. It lags often and the mousepad gets stuck. Though the keyboard is pretty good. I can say the thing I liked most about this product is the ridges on the cover of the laptop. It's pretty cool when I drag my nails across them, it sounds like a record being scratched. Yeah, but that's about it. There was no water damage initially, but I recently spilled some orange juice on it. It doesn't seem to have made a difference though. Don't think I can do anything about returning it.

I've had nothing but issues with this HP laptop Product # Z4L82UA#ABA. First after only a few weeks the HD failed and I had to return it to HP where they replaced the HD. Now after a few weeks of its return I am now experiencing a performance issue where after it's on for a few hours the typing lags, web pages crash as does my Paperport software.

I contacted HP support and now after spending over $500 for the computer and then almost another $100 for an extended warranty the phone support is telling me they cannot help me and transferred me to a dept that wanted me to pay to see if they can figure out what the problem is. These problems never occurred when I purchased it or after it was returned to me. I will not pay another penny for this "money eater" and will take the loss and resell it on eBay and buy a Lenovo and NEVER purchased another HP product and will do all I can to dissuade anyone that I know and don't know to NEVER BUY HP. I will lose a lot on this deal and write off as a poor decision. They will not even allow me to offer the extended warranty to the next buyer! HP=RIPOFF SCAM!

I bought an HP all in one computer and the screen one day would not turn on. And there a software error because it was software problem only HP has as the guy from BestBuy told me. I called in and they told me I needed to pay $99.99 for HP SmartFriend for them to be able to fix it. So I did and the technician said my computer could not be fixed. I asked for a refund because they did nothing to fix my problem. The escalation manager said that they are a best effort support, so because they used the best effort, I will not get a refund. HP is one big scam. They will do literally anything to scam you for your money.

I purchased my laptop brand new, straight from an electronics store, no refurbished model or any type of defects. It was a $500 laptop, on sale for $399, due to a holiday sale. It worked like a charm for 6-7 months. Shortly thereafter, it became two years of the SAME issues over and over. HP did the same ploy I find cell phone companies will try, acting like the issues are user error or on the owner side. Wrong! I am very savvy with computers, and I got 5-6 years out of my previous brand laptop.

HP just proved how cheap they are by refusing to admit that they item was a defective lemon and should be replaced entirely. It took two Better Business case filings (?), and shipping it back to HP headquarters before they FINALLY fixed it. A week of no laptop, which I need to job hunt at the time, and the repairs only lasted a few months. The newer problems had gone, but the original issues re-appeared after about 3 months. Now... the laptop is on its last leg, even though it's been very gently used in 3-4 years. I don't game. I work a lot so I do not spend much time on it.

Now... on top of it all, I received a letter stating my laptop is part of a battery recall due to safety issues. Are you kidding me??? I am not even going to bother dealing with HP, as it is time to replace my unit and I don't believe I will go with HP again. A friend of the family used to be employed with HP. This person told me they left the company due to the poor quality of products HP had started cranking out. My printer is also an HP product, and I had consistent issues with it disconnecting from my laptop and losing all settings. And the printer cartridges were $15 for tiny cartridges that ran out super fast. Anything to earn a quick buck. I don't know that I will be buying another HP product.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Formerly known as the Hewlett-Packard Company, Hewlett Packard Enterprise, or HP, is a multinational technology company headquartered in Palo Alto, Calif. Their line of desktop, tablet and laptop computers offer consumers a wide selection of devices to fit any computer need.

• HP Pavilion: The HP Pavilion is the basic model of desktop and laptop PCs for home use. The Pavilion line of laptops offers the same type of performance in a portable computer.
  • HP Envy: The HP Envy, a more powerful computer than the Pavilion, is designed to run programs that require more powerful hardware. The Envy is also available as an all-in-one computer and a laptop.
  • HP Omen: The HP Omen is the company’s performance line of PCs. The Omen tower desktop is built for power while the Omen X gaming machine is a cube-shaped high-performance PC. HP’s Omen laptop is the company’s portable gaming computer.
  • HP Z2 mini: The HP Z is a workstation PC designed to run business applications and maximize productivity. The Z2 Mini is a small workstation in a compact case. HP also offers Z model laptops for businesses.
  • HP Sprout Pro: The HP Sprout Pro is a 3-D scanning PC designed for educational and creative purposes. It is an all-in-one PC built to be easy to use, combining 3-D capture and editing tools to keep manageability and workflow accessible.
  • Best for HP computers are best for casual users, businesses, gamers and anyone else looking for a PC.

Compare Computer Brands