HP Computers

Compare Computer Brands

Research top Computer Brands recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Called HP to see how to dump the memory on my HP LaserJet printer. Followed the Online Instructions. See this is an ongoing problem. Has nothing to do with me. Called said I could pay HP $19 to fix this ongoing problem. Supervisor please! Sent me a link, a link for the support page only. Joke was on me. I call back Now you want $40. Ok supervisor please. "Sir the more you call the higher the price will go." Hmmm I am not a legal guy but that's straight up Extortion. I get a chance to Blog it. They remove my blog. I am wondering how many people have paid this and how many millions they are making off of their software "Not fixed" problems. They even tried to blame Apple and my MAC. State Attorney General please!

I order my computer and dock and two monitors on May 19th and the sales rep said I could have the order in a few days. It is now June 7th and my computer is still not here. HP has lied to me ten times on when I would receive it from the purchase day all the way to their latest emails... see below. I understand you want to know why we are cancelling your order. I can see that the HP EliteBook Folio G1 Notebook PC is now in transit and scheduled to be delivered by Friday, 06/02/2017. The UPS tracking number. They refuse to compensate me any further and I wonder if I will ever receive what I paid 1700 dollars for. They have no information on how to contact anyone outside of their outsourced overseas customer service department which helps with nothing.

I purchased a HP- N/BOOK. HPPCL15ACI3M Serial 1:CND5373MPX in December 2015 from Singhagiri (Pvt) Ltd, Colombo 04, Sri Lanka with a 4-year warranty,

After four months I noticed a black dot on the screen and also malfunction of the battery charging slot, the repair center in T.B. Jaya Mawatha, Colombo 10. is very unprofessional and the front desk staff knowledge about computers were very poor, they wanted to put the blame on me and charge for the repair, I did not want to risk my laptop with them and I took it back.

Another few months later I found the USB ports was rusted and took this back to same place as I did not have any alternation, the front desk staff attitude was same and this time I managed to take this to the manager who had a good understanding, but he was reluctant to take any action as he was only few weeks on that seat. He gave me another repair center address and asked me to take it to that place. My advice to anyone who want a buy a HP Laptop, please think twice about the seller's reputation, service center responsibility. I do not blame machines but I am very disappointed with HP laptops service providers irresponsibility.

We purchased a HP 6831 in May of 2016 from MicroCenter in Chicago. For an additional $20 we purchased a 3 year warranty extension. Now, a little over 1 year later, the printer fails and I go to MicroCenter to get a replacement unit. (1) HP has discontinued the model, (2) the nearest model requires extra $30, (3) I must purchase a NEW warranty extension on the new printer, but - and this is really the reason for this post - (4) the old cartridges no longer work with the new HP Office Jet Pro 6978 though they fit perfectly. So we have $125 of ink that will not work with the new unit. This is planned obsolescence and just gouges the customer. We tried the "unlimited ink" option and found that to be very expensive - NOT a savings, as advertised. This is a a slam on HP and MicroCenter - a place my family has been patronizing for over 10 years.

I would not purchase another HP Envy printer. I have it for a while and the scanner just stopped working suddenly. The customer service wouldn't tell me how to fix one little step. They wanted me to pay!9.95 to get help. I paid $40 for the printer. They could be nicer and help people out. I would not recommend an HP product.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hewlett Packard?

Bought the laptop HP Pavilion 15au624TX icore5, 7th gen in Feb 2017. By now three times complaints have been made for slow response, hard touch pad etc. Today, finally the support guy said, "You have a serious problem," after making me go through a 2-hour process to fix it over the telephone and through remote access. The problem, according to him was a faulty OS. He wanted me to go through another hour of resetting and further time for formatting and loading the OS afresh, with no guarantee that it would work well. I requested him to send an technician, as they did to rectify the touchpad, but he would not agree. That he said would be done if we reach the third stage of their hierarchy!!!

Did I pay Rs 59,000 (almost $950) to be treated like this? If they find there is a genuine problem why do they not send someone? I don't have to spend 5 hours following their instructions just because I made the mistake of paying them so much money. Why don't they just replace the laptop and do what they like to fix of cannibalise the parts for other machines? Very very insensitive of them. For me HP is dead.

Just a few short months after purchasing this computer I started experiencing problems which they gladly fixed because it was still under warranty. After the warranty expired the computer started with issues which they completely refused to fix unless and pay an exorbitant price to fix. Now, today, 5/2/17 the both the shift keys are not working so therefore I am not able to type any of the character keys. I called HP tech support and they are telling me I have to pay to get this fixed... Like seriously... What a ripoff... As you can see I am not able to use any of the character keys to express my anger and frustration at this. I would highly suggest for you not to purchase any HP products and their products and service. Both is ridiculous and a complete ripoff.

Don't waste your money on an HP. They send me an update which promptly screws up my laptop. Then when I call them about it, they say "Well, it's out of warranty and we did not tell you to install the update. So now you have to pay us for help to fix the problem our update created." What a frigging ripoff. If you ever think about buying an HP don't.

In March of 2016, I purchased an HP ENVY Desktop touchscreen. 1 year and 61 days (apparently 61 days too late), I call to get support with a mouse that is clicking on its own and white bubbles are popping up in the bottom right hand corner of my screen. It's also opening programs on its own and clicking out of text boxes when I'm typing. The response I got from HP solutions was that I was "out of date" and I would need to call a 3rd party for technical support, which I did, only to be pitched a line about purchasing Virus protection at $15/month and a $35 start up fee. Unbelievable at this point. Keep in mind, I paid over $1,600 for this computer and I've kept virus protection up to date the entire time. The 3rd party tried to tell me that someone has hacked my computer HP case # **. Apple here I come.

I bought an HP Streambook for 200 dollars a couple of months ago. It was pretty slow when I first used it, slower than the 4-year-old Chromebook I replaced it with. It also came with only one working speaker, and when I use the headphone jack only one headphone works. It lags often and the mousepad gets stuck. Though the keyboard is pretty good. I can say the thing I liked most about this product is the ridges on the cover of the laptop. It's pretty cool when I drag my nails across them, it sounds like a record being scratched. Yeah, but that's about it. There was no water damage initially, but I recently spilled some orange juice on it. It doesn't seem to have made a difference though. Don't think I can do anything about returning it.

I've had nothing but issues with this HP laptop Product # Z4L82UA#ABA. First after only a few weeks the HD failed and I had to return it to HP where they replaced the HD. Now after a few weeks of its return I am now experiencing a performance issue where after it's on for a few hours the typing lags, web pages crash as does my Paperport software.

I contacted HP support and now after spending over $500 for the computer and then almost another $100 for an extended warranty the phone support is telling me they cannot help me and transferred me to a dept that wanted me to pay to see if they can figure out what the problem is. These problems never occurred when I purchased it or after it was returned to me. I will not pay another penny for this "money eater" and will take the loss and resell it on eBay and buy a Lenovo and NEVER purchased another HP product and will do all I can to dissuade anyone that I know and don't know to NEVER BUY HP. I will lose a lot on this deal and write off as a poor decision. They will not even allow me to offer the extended warranty to the next buyer! HP=RIPOFF SCAM!

I bought an HP all in one computer and the screen one day would not turn on. And there a software error because it was software problem only HP has as the guy from BestBuy told me. I called in and they told me I needed to pay $99.99 for HP SmartFriend for them to be able to fix it. So I did and the technician said my computer could not be fixed. I asked for a refund because they did nothing to fix my problem. The escalation manager said that they are a best effort support, so because they used the best effort, I will not get a refund. HP is one big scam. They will do literally anything to scam you for your money.

I purchased my laptop brand new, straight from an electronics store, no refurbished model or any type of defects. It was a $500 laptop, on sale for $399, due to a holiday sale. It worked like a charm for 6-7 months. Shortly thereafter, it became two years of the SAME issues over and over. HP did the same ploy I find cell phone companies will try, acting like the issues are user error or on the owner side. Wrong! I am very savvy with computers, and I got 5-6 years out of my previous brand laptop.

HP just proved how cheap they are by refusing to admit that they item was a defective lemon and should be replaced entirely. It took two Better Business case filings (?), and shipping it back to HP headquarters before they FINALLY fixed it. A week of no laptop, which I need to job hunt at the time, and the repairs only lasted a few months. The newer problems had gone, but the original issues re-appeared after about 3 months. Now... the laptop is on its last leg, even though it's been very gently used in 3-4 years. I don't game. I work a lot so I do not spend much time on it.

Now... on top of it all, I received a letter stating my laptop is part of a battery recall due to safety issues. Are you kidding me??? I am not even going to bother dealing with HP, as it is time to replace my unit and I don't believe I will go with HP again. A friend of the family used to be employed with HP. This person told me they left the company due to the poor quality of products HP had started cranking out. My printer is also an HP product, and I had consistent issues with it disconnecting from my laptop and losing all settings. And the printer cartridges were $15 for tiny cartridges that ran out super fast. Anything to earn a quick buck. I don't know that I will be buying another HP product.

I purchased an HP ENVY dv7-7304tx Notebook. Within 3 weeks the hinges failed. They fixed them after countless phone calls, emails and legal threats - But at the same time somehow they fried the memory and wiped the whole laptop! Got it back after another month. Not long after, the battery failed. That got replaced eventually after once again calls, emails and as last resort legal threats. Then I received an HP email saying their batteries were faulty and they were doing a worldwide recall. So I got sent a new battery... Which by the way after 3 months doesn't hold a charge. I get another email saying their power adapters are also being recalled because they are faulty. So a month later that turns up. And guess what just blew up in a puff of acrid smoke, sparks and fizzing? The replacement power supply!

I'm buying another laptop this week once I back up this piece of troublesome crap. My main issues are...A. There seems to be a worldwide problem with build quality which isn't being addressed. B. There seems to be a worldwide problem with Peripheral component quality which isn't being addressed. C. Customer service via their customer communication system is designed to IMPEDE AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE any quick resolutions to problems. D. My daughter uses this laptop. Imagine if it had caught fire in the middle of the night while she slept? I will never purchase another HP product again. Don't make my mistake. There are plenty of other quality laptop manufacturers you can shop with.

Hello and thank you for the opportunity to share. Today at around 4.00pm Melbourne time the following happened. I contacted HP through their Website regarding the connectivity problem I was having with the HP officejet 8600 pro and I connect via their website chatting area. Once I told the person about the problem she said one of their technicians would ring me within 30 minutes and this happened. I gave him remote access to my computer as I trusted HP. Now within seconds he downloaded corrupted files but by the time I realized what was happening it was too late. I told him I had seen what he had done and then he went on to inform me for $499 US the problem can be fixed.

Now I have been scammed before so I'm very careful about downloads. My computer is checked by my IT person every week and I run the top Norton programme. I saw the person do it and well next problem and only since then I receive warning from fake Microsoft. How can a company allow such conduct from their employees or is this big business for HP. Please see if someone can stop this very dishonest person from hurting people. Thanking You.

Laptop screen stopped working (may have been my fault). Spoke to HP who arranged a courier to collect. Collected Monday from UK by UPS. Taken to HP Poland for repair, and back on my desk by 5 pm Thursday. I was kept updated throughout. All I can say is Amazing!

When you need tech support they are a rip-off. You talk to people for tech support. They cannot help you until you sign up for it. They do not tell you there is a upfront charge and then the monthly charges and they do not tell you if you cancel before the year is out then there is big cancellation charge. I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER HP PRODUCT AGAIN. I had similar problems with a wireless printer. Threw it away and now own a Kodak and am very pleased.

I purchased two laptops. One has an overheating fan, and unable turn on drivers such as to do any recovery or make CDs, among other things. I had sent one of them for repairs. The other has the same problem with the hard drives. They called me back to say my problem is not covered under warranty. They said it was caused by liquid spilled in the computer and would cost about $400.00. Why would someone be so stupid as to pay the price of a new one to have it repaired. The other laptop has the same hard drive problem except it does not overheat. So you're telling me that both laptops have liquids spilled in them.

I do not recommend anyone to purchase any HP notebook. I paid almost $1000.00 for both of them. I feel that's the most money I have wasted in my life. So I have told them "just send it back," at least when it comes back I can have the satisfaction of throwing both of them in the trash where they belong. And I will go back to Toshiba notebooks which I have found to be a better product. My wife won't be happy until I get her a new Toshiba but it will be worth it even if I had to spend a little more. She will have to wait a little longer but it will be worth the wait.

My computer was almost 1000.00 dollars, and just over 1 year old, kept in pristine condition, no spills, no dropping, and kept in a computer bag. I was working one day on it and it said 14 mins. left on battery. I plugged in adapter and it went out. No power, no lights. Called HP. I was transferred to 7 different reps. The last telling me to send 450.00 for a box to send it to them, out of warranty and that I am responsible. I was told this computer would last me 10 years by the salesman at hp. The computer repairman just called me and said be looking into buying a new computer. I have read many reviews on this and many people are having problems with this same model computer (HP ENVY 17T K200). One man only owning his 3 weeks, same problem... I will never buy another hp product after owning 3.

HP Stream Notebook - This is a $220 laptop, so I wasn't expecting much. What I wasn't expecting is to spend countless hours trying to get HP to fix the broken keyboard keys that were broken within 6 months, and would not work. Their warranty is a measly 1 year, and it's limited, and they fight you tooth and nail to get support. The mouse pad also didn't function/click properly after about 6 weeks. We noticed if you click anywhere to the right of the middle, it initiates a right-click instead of a standard mouse click. Overall, horrible quality and a waste of money. We ended up just buying an external keyboard and mouse, which work much better. The computer still is slow, lags, and barely usable with more than 3 browser tabs open. DO NOT BUY.

Never ever buy a computer/laptop from HP. They will use any excuse to not fix their junk. I bought and paid five hundred dollars and something for a laptop new from the college where I attend. I've had it less than a year. The computer was fine and all of a sudden it shut completely off. I couldn't get it to turn back on. After contacting them and taking many steps they provided on the phone, I was told it was internal issue. I had to pay close to 16.00 out of my pocket to ship it back to them. Only to receive a phone call stating they couldn't fix my computer and their tech said it had liquid stains on it. Wrong. It didn't. They went as far to say as it could have happened while it was being shipped back. Wrong.

This is nothing but pure out lies. All he can do is say "Sorry, we can't fix it." I know beyond a shadow of doubt that laptop had no liquid damage to it while in my possession. To me it appears they are making excuses to keep from repairing their junk. Terrible customer service and terrible gm service. I will never buy another laptop from them ever. I know this isn't what happened and I have no doubt it's because they don't want to stand behind their product. Terrible.

I saw the Envy/Beats logo and thought it would be awesome. But it wasn't. Laptop overheats, crashes, shuts down, goes into a black screen, won't update BIOS (not even with USB troubleshooting), battery is internal (unremovable) and has clearly overheated within the laptop. I checked the recall and was told my battery is fine, even though my model is in the recall. I knew upgrading to Windows 10 was iffy, but never did I imagine all these issues! I should've never upgraded it! Worst 1st notebook/laptop experience. And it's past warranty so I can't get any serious help. Taking this junk to the Geek Squad and unless repair is affordable, NEVER AGAIN HP!

I'm not computer illiterate either. I tried ALL the troubleshooting advice. If my product melted inside through no fault of my own, it should be replaced by HP or credit towards a new laptop. I do not have receipts as I bought this a couple years ago. I've been having all my issues right after the 1yr warranty expired. Go figure!!!

I got HP laptop for Christmas (4 month ago). So far I have been very unhappy with it. The battery lasts about 1/2 hour on a good day, the wifi keep cutting out and the touch pad dosent always work. I do not recommend this brand to anyone.

My screen was damaged. I called customer service to find the closest service rep. They told me that in spite of the fact that my laptop was 8 mo. old and still under warranty, they no longer made or carried parts for it and therefore, it could not be fixed. I would have to purchase a new laptop. They would have a sales rep call me the next day after 5 p.m. Never called - all night. Next night, I spoke to a new rep who finally admitted that I had purchased this laptop. I purchased a new one without frills - warranty was not available at the same price it was on my screen, so I declined. Cure to transfer files cost me another $50 and when it came to paying for the old laptop (under warranty) they gave me $50 credit - $50! I argued them up to $65. For a $550 laptop that was silly and not acceptable.

2017 HP Premium High Performance 17.3 inch HD+ (1600 x 900) Laptop PC | 7th Intel Core i7-7500U Processor| 2.7 GHz | 8GB DDR4 RAM | 1TB HDD | HDMI | DVDRW | WIFI | Windows 10 (Black) (Personal Computers). Horrible, slower than my old I3, and support has been worse. I have always been a fan of HP but absolutely disgusted with this purchase. Countless hours trying to get this machine to perform. Machine should be a rocket on the internet. I have 100MB service and the best this has performed is 50MB. Image below.

Update: 4/18/17. Just got off the phone with John at HP for the last time (I think this was the 6th and final; case **). This was 2 levels of customer service management that said solution would be identified after I paid for the service and be diagnosed over the phone. They would not allow me to ship to them to diagnose and repair. Even with me paying for the shipping so I wouldn't have to waste any more of my time. I also had this machine with 3 different computer techs, the last providing documentation the machine does not perform. Also spent time on their website users group blog with all suggestions implemented. I have wasted countless hours now and will end up never placing the machine into service. I'm done with this machine, and done with HP. Their warranty is worthless and HP has no integrity. Never again.

We bought an HP Pavilion laptop from Best Buy in Sept. 2016, and right from day 1 there was an issue with the device. In November - almost exactly two months later - the laptop completely crashed. We suspect that the issue is the RAM which apparently, would be about a $100 repair. We phoned Best Buy; they would not do anything more to resolve the situation than to inform us that the device had a 1-year manufacturer's warranty.

We contacted HP Support immediately and spent nearly 90 minutes on the phone with HP Support; the first person we spoke with repeatedly told us to restart the computer while pressing various buttons, which we tried to no avail. The person on the phone did not seem to believe that we were following her instructions (which we were) and began to grow very impatient with us. After being put on hold, we were transferred to a supervisor and it was determined that we would have to send in the laptop to HP for repair. This process would take several weeks (far from ideal though it seemed we had little choice if we wanted it repaired under the warranty) and apparently they would send a box for us to put the laptop in and mail it.

Well, it's mid-April, and no box has come yet! Since phoning HP support, we have tried contacting them through their website, as well as messaging them through Facebook. Each time someone from HP Support responds, asks for the same information, informs us that they will look into it and get back to us, but then they never do get back to us, and no box shows up either. We have been at this for months and no box has been sent and the device is still entirely useless. Trying to get the laptop fixed under its warranty has been a horrific experience that has wasted hours of our time. It is becoming increasingly clear that HP's approach to fixing faulty devices under warranty involves dragging the process out for months so that the warranty either expires, or the customer gives up- which ever happens first.

And now to top it off, we inadvertently learned over the weekend that HP Support was hacked and customers' data was stolen and that the company hushed this up - this is interesting because in the past month, we have been bombarded with a ridiculous number of fraudulent text messages and emails. We were wondering what was going on, but upon learning of the security breach, we suspect that this might have something to do with it, since we had given HP Support our phone number and email address.

So while our device has not been fixed yet under the warranty, we do suspect that our personal data was stolen during this ordeal. We are somewhat concerned and of course nobody at HP Support will respond to questions about this either. After this experience, we would never buy an HP product again. Based on the company's horrific customer service, it is clear that they do not value those who support their business by buying their products, so we will be taking our business elsewhere.

My experience was terrible. I sent my HP Pavilion 17" screen Notebook to HP to have it repaired for a faulty keyboard in which my shift key stuck (did not physically stick, systematically stuck). After receiving my product, and it being in their care for 5 days, I received a phone call the day after Easter, stating that my computer was irreversibly damaged. They told me that the motherboard was fried, the fan was fried, the battery was fried, and I was required to pay $640 to fix it. Keep in mind, the only problem I had when I sent it to HP was my shift key not properly functioning. They had told me, "the only way this damage could have occurred was for somebody to have opened up the computer and spilled something inside of it."

So you would think that HP would take fault. No, instead they offered me a $250 coupon and Accidental Damage Coverage for a computer I could purchase through HP. I spent $1100 on my laptop. It was not even one year old. They noted the damage as "accidental" that it was something I did to cause the malfunctions. The computer was in working fashion when I shipped it to them. Now apparently, it is not functioning at all. I am waiting for the delivery of my "destroyed" product so I can assess the damage myself. I declined their offer for the $250 coupon and warranty and chose to go through the American Consumer Association to try and settle this claim. Keep you posted. Don't buy HP.

I purchased laptop. Forgot password, called number and got service. Lady said could fix password and was doing special on fee. I purchased the fee and then was on hold for over hour and half just to be told that could not reset password to take repair shop which would cost more money. Tech said could call billing office on Monday and stop payment. I called billing office and was told there was a early fee charge of 75 dollars. Billing lady said tech had no authority to tell me that. I called place I purchased the laptop and the man said just to hit f10 to get back to factory reset. Not happy with HP and will not purchase anything else from them and wished I had read these reviews since most are not favorable.

Had laptop 2months or less screen messed up. I called customer service and was told out of warranty which was crazy. Talk to supervisor all representatives with broken English but I'm not one to judge that. Got the run around until I was just fed up and gave up. Now I have a laptop that's sitting up collect dust. Such a waste of money. Sigh.

I am extremely frustrated by HP's service and refusal to help customers even when it is HP's own mistake. I used to have a lot of faith in HP's laptops due to their good specifications and moderate prices but I had really bad experiences recently... I ordered an Envy laptop that arrived after almost a month which was understandable since they gave me that estimated time to begin with. But the laptop had a problem with hard disk and after an HP tech representative couldn't solve it, I was advised to exchange the product...

I placed an order for a new laptop which arrived after 1 and a half week but that new laptop also has a problem with touchpad now. Upon chatting with a representative, they said I would have to send the laptop back for about a week to get it fixed. I told them I have a lot of college work that I can't do without my laptop but They refused to provide on-site service without charging me for it... Extremely frustrating experience... For almost 2 months I have been experiencing issues now and they are not helpful enough to expedite the process to get my product fixed. I don't trust HP products anymore and would likely not buy one in future.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Formerly known as the Hewlett-Packard Company, Hewlett Packard Enterprise, or HP, is a multinational technology company headquartered in Palo Alto, Calif. Their line of desktop, tablet and laptop computers offer consumers a wide selection of devices to fit any computer need.

• HP Pavilion: The HP Pavilion is the basic model of desktop and laptop PCs for home use. The Pavilion line of laptops offers the same type of performance in a portable computer.
  • HP Envy: The HP Envy, a more powerful computer than the Pavilion, is designed to run programs that require more powerful hardware. The Envy is also available as an all-in-one computer and a laptop.
  • HP Omen: The HP Omen is the company’s performance line of PCs. The Omen tower desktop is built for power while the Omen X gaming machine is a cube-shaped high-performance PC. HP’s Omen laptop is the company’s portable gaming computer.
  • HP Z2 mini: The HP Z is a workstation PC designed to run business applications and maximize productivity. The Z2 Mini is a small workstation in a compact case. HP also offers Z model laptops for businesses.
  • HP Sprout Pro: The HP Sprout Pro is a 3-D scanning PC designed for educational and creative purposes. It is an all-in-one PC built to be easy to use, combining 3-D capture and editing tools to keep manageability and workflow accessible.
  • Best for HP computers are best for casual users, businesses, gamers and anyone else looking for a PC.

Compare Computer Brands