HP Computers
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

HP Computers

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 22, 2017

948 HP Computers Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

I CANNOT TELL YOU HOW UTTERLY INFURIATED I AM. I have been on the phone for over an hour, apparently the printer I bought that I asked would it print on card stock will not. Even though online it says it will print on up to 110 lbs card stock!!! Customer Service has tried different things for several hours, nope and nope. They also wasted TONS of copies, just like I did late last night trying to print on card stock and used TONS of copies. I have Instant Ink. I am now supposed to call and talk to Instant Ink to get credit for those copies. I am now again on hold, so far an hour waiting to speak to a Supervisor. Sherwin is now telling me HP lied and the HP OfficeJet Pro 8710 it will not print on card stock.

So I told him I needed to speak to a supervisor, another half an hour later Sherwin tells me the Supervisor will call me back. I have to interrogate him to ask what a reasonable amount of time is. So in an hour if I do not hear back from a Supervisor in Customer Support I am going to follow through with all forms of HP Customer Support Social media so everyone can know what a crock of lies I was told. Telling a consumer information that is not correct is illegal. Let alone how much I am going to have to pay for the copies that were wasted over and over on Instant Ink. THIS IS A JOKE!!!

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

I really wish someone would shut this company down, because I hate the thought of anyone suffering through the experience of wasting their money on an HP product. I bought a laptop, and almost immediately started having problems, and there is no customer support. The battery barely lasted a year before the life became so short that I have to keep it plugged in all the time. It has been a constant headache.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 19, 2017

Don't buy a HP Notebook (Model#15-ba053nr). We had the hard drive fail on our laptop. We took it to Office Depot and they ran diagnostics and told us the hard drive failed but since it was still under warranty we had to contact HP. My wife called them and even though we had confirmed diagnostics from Office Depot they required her to run through a bunch of diagnostic tests. The last one lasted 4 hours so we had to call back. We called back the next day and they had no records of our previous tests. They put us through all the SAME tests AGAIN. They kept saying "We can't take the computer without an error code." Well literally one hour later they agreed to repair the computer without an error code after about 20 power cycles and various tests. And then they were trying to sell us extended warranty. Horrible!!!! What happened to customer service? NO HP products for us ever again.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

I bought an HP laptop less than a year ago and the program they install on their computers decided not to recognize my screen password that I have used for almost a year. Then to help with a computer less than a year old they charged 19.99 to help reset the computer to day one. It was their software that all of a sudden would not recognize a password used for this whole time. They then say that they do not cover their product because a password was created in their computer, which by the way was their program that asked for me to create one when we bought it. This is not the Microsoft password for programs, just the screensaver password so that I may use my computer. This is by far the worst warranty and company I have dealt with concerning warranty work. I would not recommend a HP to anyone and this will most certainly be the last one I buy.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

2nd try with HP Notebook with Windows 10 - absolutely maddening. Problems immediately. There is so much to know about Windows 10 that I don't know how anyone gets it to work. I bought this computer new this afternoon. It took an hour to get through the basic setup (Chromebook takes under 5 minutes), and immediately began having problems with the Bing search. Tried to change the default search engine to another on and beyond that, it was just one mess after another. I've been trying to find solutions for 7 hours and have been trying to reset the ** thing so I can take it back without my account information on it, and it has gotten stuck twice trying to get even this accomplished. Please think many times over before you buy anything with Windows 10/Edge on it, as they are nothing but misery from the get-go.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hewlett Packard?

Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

I purchased my laptop last October. Within the year, I have had problems with it, and had to send it off (thru Best Buy) for repair three times. The last two times were for the same problem -- it shut off arbitrarily and restarted. The first time, the keyboard just stopped working. I called their representative and told him that the computer was less than a year old and had to be sent for repair three times. He asked what I wanted him to do about it. I said I wanted a new computer. His reply: "That's not gonna happen. The computer is almost a year old."

I asked if he heard how many times it had to be repaired and asked what was I supposed to do with it. He said, "You'll just have to keep sending it for repairs!" So I'm supposed to give them another $200 to extend the warranty and be without a computer for weeks at a time so they can "fix it" when it crashes -- not gonna happen. I spoke with a different agent, who was just a rude. I will never buy another HP. I have a Toshiba, which I LOVE, but it slowed down on me after 7 years!! I should have bought another one, but the salesman at Best Buy assured me that the ENVY was a really good computer. I paid $800 for it! Stay away from Envy laptops and from HP.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

I have two Compact desktop computers - one beige and one black. They get the job done. The black one burn CDs too. It's no deal though but I like it. It's alright for the money. Affordable durable dependable reliable for the money. I take good care of my items so they take good care of me.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2017

I bought this laptop, HP Spectre 13-ac090nz, in July, and it has had a problem from the first time I used it. I have now sent it back 3 times for "repair", the first 2 times it was sent back to me with exactly the same problem, despite being told it was repaired (and the 2nd time they forgot to activate Windows, and couldn't figure out how to do it remotely, so I had to wait another week for them to send me a USB key). They clearly have no idea what the problem is, and just guess and replace various parts. It is currently out for a third repair, and was promised back in 8 days, it has now been several weeks and I've just received a reply that they are waiting for a part (this time, a new screen), but don't know when they will receive it.

I have been out nearly 2000 dollars and without a functioning computer for 4 months, and am powerless to obtain a replacement or refund. Why don't they just send me a new computer?? I wish I had found this website before buying an HP -- given my own experience and those of so many other dissatisfied customers, this will certainly be the last HP product I ever purchase.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2017

I have only had to call HP a few times, or used the "chat", but each time they have been helpful to someone who is not tech-savvy. They start from the easiest point and work with you from there.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2017

I didn't even have this model for a year before it went out. I had a month to go on the warranty. When I bought it, I had reservations. When I first turned it on, someone's name came up. It never came up again, I didn't get the chance to write it down. It also said there were devices connected that I did not have. I took it back to Staples and clerk said I was likely receiving someone else's signals nearby. I believed that at the time, but another red flag was the battery time. It was advertised as lasting up to 8 hours. The clerk made up a story about that one too. It lasted four if that. So, a month before the warranty runs out, it does. I call HP and they do diagnostics over the phone from India which took almost two hours. The conclusion was that I needed a new hard drive. They said to send it back, but it was going to cost me $26 shipping. I got the box and sent it back. They had asked me if I wanted my data saved if possible.

Of course, I did. It was only one day before they replaced it and shipped it back, maybe less. They said they could not recover data. I called and asked why I did not get my hard drive returned to me. I do not think they should just do whatever they want with it. On the HP forum I asked that question and was told that they send the faulty ones back to the manufacturer. I was told that is standard procedure. Well, I don't think it should be. There is my data on there, private and personal stuff, which even though they said they cannot retrieve, I do not believe that. I was also told it was too expensive to do it. I call that bull, these people fix these things all day long, but are rushed to just move along. I don't for a minute believe they could not retrieve it. I don't think that they even bothered. It was shipped back to fast.

They are a multi-billion dollar company and they have to send faulty parts back to the manufacturer will all my info. I am sure they also write it off as a tax loss, so they are double dipping. As to regard for the cost, that is not, my problem, they should not have such cheap parts that are made to last a year. I suggest that everyone that has had a problem with them file a class action lawsuit, because they are just ripping us off, and getting away with it. We could all do it together. Any thoughts or comments? I think someone needs to stand up to these companies. They make these computers like they are disposable and you should buy a new one every year. I have the original receipt, but no way to scan it. I purchased it at Staples 11/24/16.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2017

My company has been using HP desktops and laptops for several years. Overall, I believe they are very good products without many hardware/software issues. I also have a HP laptop that was recently purchased. I always had Toshiba's prior to this and really liked them. However, when I went looking for a new one, I wasn't able to find any new Toshibas. The HP that we bought appears to be designed much like my past laptops. The only thing I dislike about it is the mouse button is built into the mouse pad. Other than that, I am very happy with it.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

After spending 8 hours on the phone with tech support and paying $130, I discovered programs lost and files corrupted. Called back several times and had to wait on hold for so long, I could wait no longer and hung up. Finally got through and was transferred 7 times, and given 6 different numbers to call, which took over 2 hours of my day. Each person told me a different story, and gave me the incorrect number to call next. Ultimately, I asked for a refund, which was not why I originally called, but I was worn out with them and angry by then. I was told by Sefi, the last person, that he would be the last person I would speak with and they would not refund my money. So, bottom line, I gave them $130 to help me, they took my money, and they did not and will not help me. I will NEVER use another HP product in my life. They are there with their hands out to take your money, and after that, you're on your own. Good luck.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

If I could give zero stars I would. The company failed to honor my warrantied laptop. We purchased one of their Laptops during last Year’s holiday season. Well ten months later my daughter went to turn on the Laptop and the whole button pushed it. First, they tried to say it was out of warranty. I had to send documentation for validation. Finally, they agreed and sent a box for repair. Days later I received a call from HP and was told that someone intentionally pushed the power button all the way in. I informed him that we only push the button to turn it on and that this shouldn't happen. It didn't happen ten months prior so why now. They have a team of representative that do everything to avoid warranty repair. We've spent thousands on computers, laptops, etc. But we will never buy another HP product. Please read all the reviews before purchasing. The company really don't understand opportunity cost.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

I have used HP desktops & laptops for over 10 years. Their customer service is great. In two instances I had to have memory on my laptop & a hard drive on my desktop replaced under warranty. It was done in a timely & professional manner. Other than that, I used an HP laptop & desktop in business & personally on a daily basis with out an issue for 8+ years. My wife has used her HP desktop for 5 years without an issue. Their durability is extremely good. I will continue to buy HP.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

I purchased a laptop. It was being repaired more than it was used. There were too many issues for me to list, none of them were software issues. Once out of warranty of course they wanted to charge me to diagnose the issues as well. I disposed of that laptop. Saved me from all the headaches.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

HP systems are great when new and easily upgradeable when the software demands require more from the hardware. I prefer desktop systems; however, I see myself buying a HP convertible system.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

I love my HP ProBook. It does everything I need for it to do plus it's pretty easy to use. It is lightweight. It would be perfect if it came with the keyboard light option though. They do have them but mine doesn't have this option.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

I bought this computer in 2013 and it still works well. I'd occasionally have to call HP support and they fix what is wrong. I am satisfied with it and would buy it again when I need a new computer.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

Always worked and never had any problems. I've had only minor issues with outdated network drivers but that is a normal maintenance item which was easily solved.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

I spent $500 on one of their laptops in September. I have had problems with it from the start. It has had performance issues due to their junk bundleware and Microsoft Windows with Cortana was eating up all of the 4 GB of RAM it has. I have uninstalled Windows and installed Linux and now it has even more issues because of their junk AMD Processors. Please buy something like an ASUS, ACER, or Alienware and don't waste your time or money on these junk HP systems. Spend a little extra and buy a system that works right out of the box...

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

Best and most durable computer on the market, I work on computers and Dell is the one I get the most, so I would definitely recommend buying a HP, you will be happy with your product.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

My laptop computer stopped working 11 months after purchasing so it was still in warranty for 1 month. E-mailed HP's warranty department and was sent an address where my laptop needed to be shipped to. Did that, they received it 9/1/17. Five weeks later, received an e-mail saying they couldn't contact me and that I was to call a number to get in touch with them, not sure why, they HAD MY PHONE NUMBER!

I called INDIA although I shipped my laptop to Indiana. When I called INDIA, I was told they sent my computer back to me already... NO, give me a tracking number... was told to hold on, he came back and told me I had spilled something sweet into my computer... NO, I DID NOT... PROVE IT TO ME! I live alone and no one uses my computer except me! Never sent me anything for two weeks. I called them back and told them to ship my computer back to me NOW. They had it for over 7 weeks and nothing was done, EVER!!! I received it tonight by FedEx... NOTHING was done to my computer and it was under warranty. Now, I am going to have to take it to my computer repair company to have them find out what is wrong. I will never, never, never buy another HP product!!!

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

I love HP computers. I have had several over the years. I like them because they work, and aren't as expensive as some of the "high dollar-high tech" brands. Their support stinks, but the computers are great.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

HP PAVILLION X360 15" - The worst laptop I have ever bought. Since 1 month I faced lot of issues with laptop and I sent to HP repair center twice but the Issues are not fixed and they sent me the laptop with New issues. Now Third time they are asking me to send the laptop again. I asked them to provide at least loaner or send Technician to my home. Almost whole month my laptop is with them or in transit. They aren't even helping me with that, I don't know why they are making such worst products. I will recommend not to buy HP laptops.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

Computer is comparatively new. Therefore no problems. I have been using HP computers for a long while. Very rarely do I have problems with their products.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2017

HP Computers works for me. It is small but efficient. It is used for personal, business only and is probably not recommended for commercial use. Also, I have had to replace routers twice.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2017

I bought 2 Compaq Presario Computers at near $1,000. Box did not say they would change the windows every other 6 months to a year. 1 of the computers was packed during a move. I missed the Windows 10 upgrade which was only offered for a short time & now have to spend near $200 to get the discs needed. HP company told me computer is outdated, when it is only a few years old. Not everyone can buy the latest edition of a computer or program that comes out. Other computer has a design flaw when you push the reset button. If you don't have a certain disc, you're stuck on a page that requires the disc & there is no way to back out of it.

First computer the cheap materials they used falls of the back when you unplug and hook up the wires. HP refuses to help me with a startup disc, a Windows 10 disc, fixing the broken pieces that were cheaply made. Even the screen I am stuck on and can't use the computer. I will never buy HP and or Compaq Presario products again. I even had to write the Better Business Bureau & HP refused to help find these discs to save my thousand dollar computers. Saying they are outdated. Excuse me. I will be leaving my comments and thoughts on every site they have. Very disappointed.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

I bought an HP laptop at Best Buy in December of 2016. In April of 2017, the laptop started to sound like a lawnmower, which indicated to me that there was a problem with the hard drive. I contacted HP customer support and was connected to a representative in India. She told me that, although laptop was under warranty, I would need to go through certain troubleshooting steps with her before they would accept the return of my laptop for "refurbishment."

I agreed to go through the "steps" with her and proceeded to spend more than an hour on the phone with her going through steps that obviously did nothing to correct the hard drive problem. I even let her remotely access my laptop and spend more than an hour running diagnostics. Apparently that wasn't enough for her to document the problem, so she proceeded to call me every evening for the next 3 days to do additional "troubleshooting." At the end of this lengthy process, she agreed that the problem could not be fixed over the phone and said that she would send me a box with a return shipping label.

Three months later, I still haven't received the box to return the laptop. I called the support line again only to be told that they have "no record" that any troubleshooting had been done for this laptop, so they are insisting that I go through troubleshooting with them again before they can accept the return. I have zero confidence that it will get resolved and am incredibly frustrated that I have had to spend hours on the phone with their "support" team in India who seem to have nothing more than a mandate to harass customers and try to prevent returns. I will NEVER buy another HP product and I plan to report them to my state attorney general for fraud.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

If you're lucky your laptop will last a year and a half. The power cords are crap but even if you buy an Extended warranty it doesn't cover the power cord. They have bad customer service as well. Buying a Toshiba next time. My husband has had his for 8 years and it's still going strong as to my 6 HP's. Never again.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

Purchased two HP laptops (one Envy and one Pavilion) in April 2017. The Pavilion failed (hard disk crash) within three months. I had purchased the product in the US but had then relocated to Barbados. Was told I had to return the product to the USA to have the product fixed under warranty. There is an HP service center within five minutes walk of my home. I got someone going to the US to take the product for me and then I was told I should return it to Best Buy (where I purchased it).

Now the Envy has failed (faulty cooling fan) and I am being told I have to take the product back to the USA to have it fixed under warranty. The excuse the product was commercialized in the USA and the service center would not have the part (a cooling fan) nor the training to be able to carry out the repair here in Barbados. I have been using computers for many years and I never encountered a cooling fan that was such a technical marvel that the average technician could not fix. Clearly it does not make economic sense for me to ship a laptop from Barbados to the USA to have a simple cooling fan replaced. Friends be warned HP does everything to avoid honoring its warranties. It is understandable that they do since their products are evidently junk.

Hewlett Packard expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Formerly known as the Hewlett-Packard Company, Hewlett Packard Enterprise, or HP, is a multinational technology company headquartered in Palo Alto, Calif. Their line of desktop, tablet and laptop computers offer consumers a wide selection of devices to fit any computer need.

• HP Pavilion: The HP Pavilion is the basic model of desktop and laptop PCs for home use. The Pavilion line of laptops offers the same type of performance in a portable computer.

• HP Envy: The HP Envy, a more powerful computer than the Pavilion, is designed to run programs that require more powerful hardware. The Envy is also available as an all-in-one computer and a laptop.

• HP Omen: The HP Omen is the company’s performance line of PCs. The Omen tower desktop is built for power while the Omen X gaming machine is a cube-shaped high-performance PC. HP’s Omen laptop is the company’s portable gaming computer.

• HP Z2 mini: The HP Z is a workstation PC designed to run business applications and maximize productivity. The Z2 Mini is a small workstation in a compact case. HP also offers Z model laptops for businesses.

• HP Sprout Pro: The HP Sprout Pro is a 3-D scanning PC designed for educational and creative purposes. It is an all-in-one PC built to be easy to use, combining 3-D capture and editing tools to keep manageability and workflow accessible.

• Best for: HP computers are best for casual users, businesses, gamers and anyone else looking for a PC.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs