3.09/5
Based on 381 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

1235 HP Computers Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 6, 2018

Within 6 months (low to moderate use) of purchasing this laptop (HP Notebook 15-AP) the hard drive failed. I returned to Best Buy where it was purchased and they sent the computer for repair. A little over 2 weeks later it was returned. Within 3 months, the hard drive crashed. Returned again to Best Buy. They took about 2 weeks or so to fix. Two weeks ago, the hard drive crashed. Since the computer was then a week out of warranty - I was out of luck! Is it paranoia to think that these computer manufacturers and/or repairmen can time the self destruction of the hard drive?

Original review: June 6, 2018

My HP Pavillion All In One (24-r014) is six months old. It has been down since May 5. It is now June 6. Motherboard went bad -- well things happen sometimes. But trying to get this corrected has been a nightmare. HP has been very good at generating case numbers - I have four of them so far but not very good at resolving any of these cases.

They've assigned a case manager -- Jessica -- who seems earnest and diligent, but who knows nothing. She's done the best she can do under the circumstances, but it's simply not enough. I have an extended warranty on this product that is supposed to cover on-site service, but I have still been forced to ship equipment to HP. No on-site service. To me resolution seems simple: Do whatever it takes to fix the computer promptly. If it can't be fixed refund the money. Neither of these options is even on the table. I've been taken. Sometimes that happens, but trust me it won't happen again. And by sharing this information, I'm hoping it won't happen to you either.

Get expert buying tips about Computer Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 5, 2018

Regarding the fan issue of my HP SPECTRE X360 - Firstly, after waiting for more than one and half month and a zillion calls the fan got repaired. The guy who was supposed to fix my laptop doesn't know how to fix the back cover properly. The man who came to fix the issue tore the pin of the back cover in front of me and was reluctant to accept the same though I have the broken pin with me. It's been 2 weeks. I have been waiting and no one came to fix it. Calling the HP manager Lucknow and the Branch manager also of no use at all. Dissatisfied and frustrated... Total money waste and worse experience would never recommend anyone to buy any of HP products as the customer service sucks and they think the customer has enough money and time to waste on their services.

Original review: June 3, 2018

I only bought HP computers in my life. Because of the price, software, hardware and durability. User friendly. The only problem for me was the battery.

Original review: June 3, 2018

Both my HP laptops have a habit of freezing-up which is more than a little annoying and time consuming. Overall they are good machines and have served me well. I don't like that HP updates so frequently making older machines obsolete and in some instances unusable.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hewlett Packard?

Original review: June 3, 2018

My HP computer is a SFF, 64 bit. Love the size and functionality of the computer. I bought mine refurbished and have no problems. It is a workhorse. It came with Windows 7 XP Professional which I loved but upgraded to Windows 10 because support was going away for XP. I have two of these computers and would not trade them for a laptop.

Original review: June 3, 2018

I had a problem with this HP laptop as soon as the warranty expired! First the keyboard had to be replaced, then I needed a new battery and the new battery is less than 6 months old and I'm getting the same warning that its power is low and it needs to be replaced. Now also the left hinge is giving out so I have to open and close the laptop it very gingerly. I am very unhappy with this purchase!

Original review: June 3, 2018

I have a HP at home I use and have had it since about 2011. Before I retired - perhaps it was just pricing in quantity. We previously had Dells and then for the most part went to HP. Didn't have any issues with HP at all.

Original review: June 3, 2018

I use it at work as a preschool teacher. I also have 4 small HP's that the kids use. I have never had a problem with any of them. I used to use a Lenovo touch screen. I miss that function on the HP. I never used customer service.

Original review: June 2, 2018

I purchased HP computer last August. After 30 days or so it was sent back to HP for repair (at my expense). Network adapter was replaced and laptop was returned to me. In February of this year, the computer wouldn't boot. HP said Microsoft problem and Microsoft said HP problem. Took to local repair shop who said HP problem. They shipped to HP who then replaced the motherboard. Of course I paid for their diagnosis and their shipping costs. After the motherboard was replaced it appears that I now have a computer with an Intel i3 instead of Intel i5 which I paid for. I will never buy another HP computer of any type.

Original review: June 2, 2018

I really like my HP TouchSmart. I have had it for eight years... And counting! When it is finally ready to be replaced, I will purchase another HP.

Original review: June 2, 2018

I have always had an HP laptop. They are easy to use, have how to assistance and will help you fix what is wrong with the assistant and ask software that is built. My last computer is 10 years old and still works fine but I wanted some of the updated wireless features that are now available.

Original review: June 2, 2018

From the moment I set up my HP desktop computer, I've had to contend with random system freezes. I'm a student, and many of my classes are online or require homework being done on a site linked to my class's Blackboard shell. On numerous occasions the computer has frozen during an online assignment and at least twice during an important test!! It's the crappiest computer I've ever owned, and the budget price should have been the red flag I needed. It wasn't a refurbished model, but was new.

I also own an HP Stream 13" notebook. What a piece of JUNK! It has minuscule amounts of memory, and cannot even handle a download of MS Office 365 without having to use an external drive. It doesn't freeze up like the desktop does, but the memory makes it far too limiting to be of any use for class projects, research material, photos, videos, or music. It has 2GB Memory and a 250GB hard drive. I overestimated its usefulness, especially once I got into some of my heavier class material and projects. A waste of money for a college student... On both products. HP should revisit their specs for their budget friendly products, because they're putting out garbage.

Original review: June 1, 2018

The HP computer that I bought has very limited memory, which I knew when buying it. I added more memory and it's been fine. My only complaint would be that, as with all PCs, it is not super durable.

Original review: June 1, 2018

HP is reliable and has great value. I am really happy with my HP desktop. I have had HP desktops for years and am very happy with HP products.

Original review: June 1, 2018

I love it, but the battery life could be better. I will purchase a smaller computer next time that is touchscreen and has back lighting. Good speed and accuracy, offers good voice assistance as well.

Original review: June 1, 2018

I love my HP Pavilion desktop computer. I always purchased Dell computers, but I must say HP far exceeds Dell in all aspects. I purchased in 2012 and have never had any problem. I would definitely recommend HP to family and friends.

Original review: June 1, 2018

I am on my 3rd HP and each of them have been durable, user friendly and reasonably priced. Current laptop has great screen definition & long battery life.

Original review: June 1, 2018

HP customer service, not US based, is either for hardware or software but neither office seems willing or trained enough to discuss both -- though both are required for either to work -- neither work alone.

Original review: May 31, 2018

It must be good because I received 2 of the same laptop as gifts from 2 different people! Thus far, it meets all of my needs and no problems, easy to use, comfortable size/weight, and haven't needed customer support!

Original review: May 31, 2018

The Notebook HP was my first purchase for my own personal use. Cost wise everyone was amazed, I did get it during Black Friday sales a few years ago. I have had little issues from the get go that more advanced computer users have had to correct for me. I will say issues and all at my purchase cost this was a great deal for a beginner who really had no interest in becoming "tech" savvy.

Original review: May 31, 2018

HP Computers fits my needs. I have looked up many subjects with great success. Even though I like the Dell, it is usually more money. My HP works just fine. Since I have retired, I don't work on the computer as I once did. I just get on Facebook, YouTube, and email.

Original review: May 31, 2018

I purchased a laptop. I did not research before buying. If you bump this laptop a circuit board comes loose. Please research before you buy. After I repositioned the component it started working again. You never expect your laptop to be that fragile.

Original review: May 31, 2018

I have always used HP computers and when I have had issues have found their customer service to be excellent. I had issues with my laptop and they sent me a box to ship it to them for repairs as it was under warranty. When they sent it back they had removed the hard drive. I contacted them again, they sent another shipping box and repaired it. They were awesome to work with.

Original review: May 31, 2018

The customer service at HP is 1st rate. Their product is excellent. I am 77 years old and I have never had a laptop before. The HP is simple enough to learn to operate. I was advised to buy this by my granddaughter and she was right. So since I had just bought her one for her birthday then I bought one. I am now online most of the time with my new business.

Original review: May 30, 2018

Had this laptop (17 HP touch) 1/6 years over $280.00 with geeks online HP helpers??? Plus $460.00 with Microcomputers to fix every 6 months! DO NOT EVER buy HP laptop! Total nightmare! Bought $1100.00 from Japan plus stupid phone help from HP BS? I am over $2000.00 in this computer! NEVER BUY HP anything!

Original review: May 30, 2018

Purchased 2 Officejet 8600 Pro Plus. They both failed the same week. Used 1 at home and 1 at office. No help with HP consumer affairs. Both had same error message. HP programs these to fail. Consumer affairs is a joke trying to charge me more than office Depot even after discounting for their problems. Total waste of time.

Original review: May 30, 2018

HP laptop computers combined with AMD Quadcore processors and AMD Radeon Graphics are, I think, superior to other computer processor combinations. I wish AMD Quadcore & HP laptops were more widely available at budget prices. I prefer HP Pavilion laptops and desktops with AMD processors because they don't run as hot and they seem to last longer than the competition. Multitasking and transitioning from one task to another is a cinch. I would love to see a return to the Windows 7 platform or something similar because I still do not like the clunky Windows 8 or Windows 10 and I happen to like Windows Media.

The Windows 8 and 10 programs do not flow as instinctively or seamlessly as Windows 7, my favorite to date. I do wish the HP laptop monitors were less fragile or easier/cheaper to replace because mine shattered after less than a 12 inch drop onto carpeted floor. The laptop itself is still good but the monitor is toast. To have it replaced would cost almost as much as a complete replacement which, these days, seems to be an unnecessary, tremendous waste when we should all be doing our part to conserve our resources. Plus, it's a hassle to have to move all of my programs, writing, pictures, and videos.

If I could dispose of just one part of the bloatware, I would make the McAfee and Norton antivirus software completely removable. I don't understand the fuss over Beats Audio and I try to avoid Beats Audio speakers because they sound tinny and cheap. Keep is simple HP. Beats Audio is not your friend and certainly not a selling point to anyone with functioning ears.

I would like to see the manufacturers create a way to retrieve computer passwords for two reasons. First of all, I have a terrible memory and with the constant need to change passwords everywhere else, it's extremely frustrating to deal with a forgotten password. I still can't access one of my own user profiles on my own laptop. If the banks can confirm my identity, why can't my computer manufacturer's customer service? Can't they be trusted? Also, when my mom died, we lost all of her pictures and important financial and insurance data because we could not retrieve her password. Bottom line, forget the Intel processors and Apple hype and give HP and AMD Quadcore a chance. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Original review: May 30, 2018

I have used HP computers for many years. My experience with them has been good. One has never broken down on me. I have changed in order to upgrade.

Original review: May 30, 2018

Great desktop PC. It has a large touch screen and very fast. Easy to use for even a beginner. No tower to take up extra space since everything is built into the screen.

Hewlett Packard expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Formerly known as the Hewlett-Packard Company, Hewlett Packard Enterprise, or HP, is a multinational technology company headquartered in Palo Alto, Calif. Their line of desktop, tablet and laptop computers offer consumers a wide selection of devices to fit any computer need.

• HP Pavilion: The HP Pavilion is the basic model of desktop and laptop PCs for home use. The Pavilion line of laptops offers the same type of performance in a portable computer.

• HP Envy: The HP Envy, a more powerful computer than the Pavilion, is designed to run programs that require more powerful hardware. The Envy is also available as an all-in-one computer and a laptop.

• HP Omen: The HP Omen is the company’s performance line of PCs. The Omen tower desktop is built for power while the Omen X gaming machine is a cube-shaped high-performance PC. HP’s Omen laptop is the company’s portable gaming computer.

• HP Z2 mini: The HP Z is a workstation PC designed to run business applications and maximize productivity. The Z2 Mini is a small workstation in a compact case. HP also offers Z model laptops for businesses.

• HP Sprout Pro: The HP Sprout Pro is a 3-D scanning PC designed for educational and creative purposes. It is an all-in-one PC built to be easy to use, combining 3-D capture and editing tools to keep manageability and workflow accessible.

• Best for: HP computers are best for casual users, businesses, gamers and anyone else looking for a PC.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs