HP Computers

HP Computers
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.34/5
Based on 1,077 ratings submitted in the last year

HP Computers Reviews

Original review: Nov. 28, 2019

My son bought an HP Spectre laptop in the summer and had a problem with it in the second month of his school year. Some parts broke, and when we contacted the customer support group, they gave us a quick, free fix, no questions asked. I could tell they respect the customer very much and greatly valued our experience.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2019

I got my first gaming computer, a HP DV7 for a high school graduation/birthday/Christmas present back in 2008z after that thing became obsolete (gaming computers last about 5 years before technology exceeds their value, this is acceptable, not HPs fault) I bought a HP envy, and now I own an HP omen. Its warranty expired a few days ago. I shipped it out a week prior to warranty expiration (I have always bought the high end warranties, I’ve never needed to use it before) I sent it out on Friday and got it back Wednesday, basically brand new. They replaced most of it (it had some “gamer wear and tear”).

I will continue, as a computer technician of almost ten years, to purchase HP computers. They are an awesome brand. Very loyal customer here, not sure why so many reviews are bad, this is a five star company coming from a career computer tech. Also wanna give a shoutout to Shadow gaming streaming service, if you can’t live without a computer for a few business days, they are a great buy, recommend them. I will continue to but HP products. Thanks HP!

Get expert buying tips about Computer Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2019

I always knew HP products were good products but had never experienced the consumer support. Via chat, Simon was extremely patient with my limited computer abilities & went above and beyond with incredible patience to assist me. Not only did he reinstall the printer software which I hadn't downloaded properly, but controlling my desktop, he made sure both my computers had all issues resolved to print wirelessly. After this great length of time, he asked about my abilities to scan - a topic I hadn't brought forth. Micromanaging my steps, he once more navigated me through that process! Had I know this terrific support was available, I wouldn't have wasted the time & frustration the preceding days messing with my printer. Thanks a billion!!!

Original review: March 15, 2019

We bought the above PC in December and two months later it kept reading that there was no hard drive available. We contacted HP and they handled the return and repair without a hitch. They were polite, attentive and shipped a return box. Once we shipped it to them it was repaired and shipped back to us within a week. Short of the inconvenience of having your new computer stop working I can say it was a fairly convenient process to get things up and running! Customer service was fantastic. Computer is up and running perfectly!

Original review: March 8, 2019

My latest HP purchase is the 3rd HP device I've owned to date. In the past I've had Dell, Acer, Sony, Apple, Huawei, and maybe one or two others. I've always said HP is the "Ryan Air" of computer products. The equipment is up to code but there is a lot of advertising built in that needs to be deleted before you can enjoy the product. My latest laptop, don't judge my choice, was an HP 15-db0. So, bargain basement touchscreen. It came stock with 8 gigs of ram which I intended to upgrade to 16 with the dual slots on the motherboard. Woops. While everything said the computer had two ram slots, and the motherboard does have room for two, only one is factory installed. To find out for sure that this was intended by HP and not a manufacturing defect I called HP support... Oh God, here we go.

After being bounced around from Canada tech support to Canada sales department, US tech support, back to Canada tech support and finally Canada sales department, I finally had my answer. Canadian built laptops are not designed to be upgraded with dual ram slots; A major downfall in my opinion. My last HP laptop was built for the Australian market, almost the same model, and did have dual slots. So now unless I want to throw away an 8 gig ram chip and replace it with a 16 gig chip... I'm SOL. The irony is my old laptop, now aging from travel and extended use, is actually faster than my new laptop.

Now to shamelessly plug the one HP support person who finally answered my question and didn't just try to shuffle me off to the next department. Lewis ID#: **. He wasn't allowed to give his name for security purposes so he had to give me his ID#. He's actually in the sales department but knew more about computers than the tech department. Give Lewis a raise. It's one thing to sell millions of computers a year, and a whole other to actually keep a customer service department functioning. After talking to 4 different sales and tech department staff, only Lewis got the job done. That's how your customer support! Your (still) loyal HP user, Roger.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hewlett Packard?

Original review: Feb. 20, 2020

My computer was out of warranty. I've been faithfully updating using the HP update tool that came with the computer. The computer was not great from the start (not upgradeable at all) but It was a replacement computer from my insurance. Today I updated the BIOS, as the HP Support Assistant told me to. And it killed the computer. It turned off the USB ports so I couldn't even use the keyboard shortcuts to get into the BIOS fixit screens. I reset the CMOS, undid the battery, everything I could find on how to fix this problem. But somehow, their BIOS update made it impossible to fix. I should have known better. I didn't WANT to get this product, but was forced to by my insurance. My wife has been wanting me to BUY an HP computer (because they are cheap). But . . . no way! I'd rather go back to making my own than have to deal with this kind of planned obsolescence.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2020

I recently had a serious issue with my HP Pavilion All-in-One desktop. After downloading an HP BIOS update, my computer did not reboot or open. I contacted HP Tech Support, told them the issue, explained that I had a 3 year ON-SITE warranty and needed assistance. The tech said my warranty was not valid and I would have to pay for any repairs. They told me I had to contact sales and warranty services. They, too, said my warranty was not active. I then called HP Headquarters and finally confirmed that the warranty was active. They transferred me to a tech from the Philippines spending over an hour without success.

I then sent an E-mail to the CEO. A repair manager contacted me and told me I had to send the computer in to their repair center even though I had an ON-SITE warranty. I complied and sent it in. It was returned in the same condition. All I received was an "I'm sorry". This company does not care about any inconvenience they cause the customer. Purchase a computer from any other company.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2020

Purchased a Pavilion x360 on 01/16/20. Had issues with their website when I ordered and saw a day later that they charged me for two laptops. I went to cancel one order and they told me they couldn’t cancel it even though it wasn’t even being built for another 3 weeks. After a week or so they sent me a cancellation notification for the one laptop. I noticed that my account kept saying there were two items in my cart but when I click on the cart, it shows nothing. Also had repeat issues logging into my HP account as their site was having issues. My laptop was to ship 02/07/20 but noticed a week later that it was wasn’t even being built yet.

I IM’d customer service as no one had reached out to me and there were no shipping updates. Only after reaching out to them they notified me that the delivery has been pushed out to 02/27/20. 40+ days for a laptop with nothing special is not acceptable to me. Poor experience with the website, customer service, communication, and so on leads me to believe that HP may not have it all together. Truly disappointing as I really needed this laptop before the end of February.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2020

This is a 100% true story. I ordered a HP laptop the day after Christmas and am still waiting for it! The delivery company advised weeks ago it has been lost and to contact HP. Despite numerous calls no-one has done anything about it or seems inclined to take action. I've rung Consumer Affairs Victoria and there seems to be little they can do. Meanwhile my daughter has had to start school without a laptop. One and a half months later still no laptop... I suspect HP products are good however operationally the organisation is pathetic - how someone can order something as expensive as a laptop and simply not receive what they ordered is beyond belief. ZERO for customer service and on this basis I couldn't and wouldn't recommend anyone use them.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2020

I purchased this Chromebook for my daughter for Christmas. She uses it mostly to watch Netflix and Disney Plus. Whether these are played their respective applications or in a browser, the app/browser closes unexpectedly and decently frequently. I had 15 days to return the laptop to BestBuy but didn't get on it quickly enough.

I contacted HP customer service today as it is covered under a 1 year warranty as well as a 3 month initial set up warranty. I have never received such terrible support. The tech didn't even try... he immediately decided it's an issue with the applications, which makes no sense considering it's all of them (including playing videos in a browser). He offered no suggestions and referred me to a paid support service: "At this stage, I recommend contacting HP Smart Friend Services who will be able to assist you further. This premium service can be purchased as either a subscription or a one-time event." That's their manufacturer warranty?? How brutal.

Avoid expensive home repairs

Take our two minute quiz to find the right home warranty for you.

Hewlett Packard expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Formerly known as the Hewlett-Packard Company, Hewlett Packard Enterprise, or HP, is a multinational technology company headquartered in Palo Alto, Calif. Their line of desktop, tablet and laptop computers offer consumers a wide selection of devices to fit any computer need.

• HP Pavilion: The HP Pavilion is the basic model of desktop and laptop PCs for home use. The Pavilion line of laptops offers the same type of performance in a portable computer.

• HP Envy: The HP Envy, a more powerful computer than the Pavilion, is designed to run programs that require more powerful hardware. The Envy is also available as an all-in-one computer and a laptop.

• HP Omen: The HP Omen is the company’s performance line of PCs. The Omen tower desktop is built for power while the Omen X gaming machine is a cube-shaped high-performance PC. HP’s Omen laptop is the company’s portable gaming computer.

• HP Z2 mini: The HP Z is a workstation PC designed to run business applications and maximize productivity. The Z2 Mini is a small workstation in a compact case. HP also offers Z model laptops for businesses.

• HP Sprout Pro: The HP Sprout Pro is a 3-D scanning PC designed for educational and creative purposes. It is an all-in-one PC built to be easy to use, combining 3-D capture and editing tools to keep manageability and workflow accessible.

• Best for: HP computers are best for casual users, businesses, gamers and anyone else looking for a PC.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team