HP Computers

HP Computers
Shop on Amazon
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.35/5

HP Computers Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about HP Computers?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hewlett Packard?

Original review: June 18, 2020

My computer is an HP Pavilion 2000 which I purchased in 2014. It's very good and I was able to upgrade from 8.1 Windows to the Windows 10 when it first came out. Unfortunately due to Windows 10 needing so many "holes" and bugs updated and fixed, my computer was having major issues and then a Microsoft Tech brought it to a blue screen while trying to correct issues from a recent update. I was directed to contact HP to see if they could help me restore my computer. HP would not help me without a substantial payment for tech support despite it being a problem due to their cohorts' error.

They also advised me that part of the problem was that HP had chosen to not rewrite the drivers for the HP Pavilion, despite the fact that they were writing new drivers for so many other models that were just as old (happened in 2018). I like HP products but I don't like the way HP treats its customers, especially one that has been doing business with them for over 40 years! This is why I gave them a lower score on their overall rating.

Original review: June 18, 2020

This is the 2nd HP laptop I have purchased not including 2 desktops and 1 laptop for my son. We both love the quality and while the pricing may be higher than some other brands we have never experienced any abnormal issues with the equipment. Only once did I purchase another brand but I kept having problems so I feel you get what you pay for and sometimes paying more will give you peace of mind. While I would prefer to pay less money it is not always the best option especially when you have to keep taking the equipment back for repairs which is a big hassle and inconvenience.

Get buying tips about Computer Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 8, 2020

I recently purchased a new HP desktop computer with all the latest and newest features. I found was I was looking for on the HP website. When I purchased it HP gave me a big discount with free shipping to my home and it was delivered within 3 days. When I got it I unpacked everything and I had the entire new HP desktop computer setup within 20 minutes. 2 days later I actually got a phone call from HP asking me if I needed any help or assistance and the person gave me a 24 hour toll free number for support. I am very happy with my new HP desktop computer and it was a pleasure to do business with HP.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2019

I got my first gaming computer, a HP DV7 for a high school graduation/birthday/Christmas present back in 2008z after that thing became obsolete (gaming computers last about 5 years before technology exceeds their value, this is acceptable, not HPs fault) I bought a HP envy, and now I own an HP omen. Its warranty expired a few days ago. I shipped it out a week prior to warranty expiration (I have always bought the high end warranties, I’ve never needed to use it before) I sent it out on Friday and got it back Wednesday, basically brand new. They replaced most of it (it had some “gamer wear and tear”).

I will continue, as a computer technician of almost ten years, to purchase HP computers. They are an awesome brand. Very loyal customer here, not sure why so many reviews are bad, this is a five star company coming from a career computer tech. Also wanna give a shoutout to Shadow gaming streaming service, if you can’t live without a computer for a few business days, they are a great buy, recommend them. I will continue to but HP products. Thanks HP!

Original review: Sept. 23, 2019

I always knew HP products were good products but had never experienced the consumer support. Via chat, Simon was extremely patient with my limited computer abilities & went above and beyond with incredible patience to assist me. Not only did he reinstall the printer software which I hadn't downloaded properly, but controlling my desktop, he made sure both my computers had all issues resolved to print wirelessly. After this great length of time, he asked about my abilities to scan - a topic I hadn't brought forth. Micromanaging my steps, he once more navigated me through that process! Had I know this terrific support was available, I wouldn't have wasted the time & frustration the preceding days messing with my printer. Thanks a billion!!!

Original review: Aug. 10, 2020

I purchased an HP Pavilion x360 through Amazon. The battery was defective in the first month. As I am Foreign Service, posted overseas, I could not return the product - but I had called and explained my situation. Lithium batteries can't be mailed from overseas, so I had to wait until I was in the U.S. Upon entering the U.S., my warranty is 7 days past the 1 year mark, so HP will do nothing. I called Amazon - they will do nothing - even though I have a 2 year warranty. They gave me a $35 credit to buy a new battery, however, it cost between $150-200 to have a new battery put in. Total rip off. Terrible product - terrible service - both from HP and Amazon. I am very unhappy with this product and customer service on it. DO NOT buy HP anything.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2020

To start, there are NO positives except maybe screen resolution and graphics. I can't run anything without freezing and black screening. From a music production software and photoshop to simple websites like Google docs (almost completely unusable) and YouTube on a simple browser like Firefox. I've had an HP bought for approximately 400 USD for 4 years and after the first year everything went terribly wrong. Please save your sanity and just get a Dell, they actually use lasting, quality components for their consumers (yep, even in their cheaper models). I will never be purchasing another HP device again.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2020

I bought an HP Pavilion laptop in 2008 and loved it until it crashed in 2016—eight years. I then bought this HP Envy in 2016—and I know it's four years old. However, since the first year I have regretted that I bought it at all. I am about ready to buy a new one, but I guarantee that it won’t be an HP. The screen hinge has always been a problem---unstable and out of alignment. About a year ago I was closing it and, even with the light amount of pressure I used, the screen cracked all the way from the lower right-hand corner to the upper left-hand corner. Touchscreen goes haywire when it's cold. Had to restart and warm it up with my hands. Finally I just disabled that and have been only using the touchpad and directional arrows.

I’ve been typing since at least 1968 and have never experienced a keyboard touch that is so completely nondescript. No resistance or click to know you’ve actually pressed a key. Laptop and adaptor both have been overheating for at least the past two years—almost too hot to touch after 30 minutes. I have to use an external fan to keep it from shutting down. Battery began to not hold a charge about two years ago. Now the battery is useless and the laptop can only be operated when plugged in to an electrical outlet.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2020

On my HP ENVY Laptop 13, the left half of the frame around the screen separated from the screen with an alarming cracking noise. The left hinge also came off. Now, half the frame is unattached and bent; the cover cannot be closed; the hinge is unattached. This happened when I simply opened the screen in May 2020, 21 months after buying the laptop ($1,023). Laptops should last longer than 2 years.

I spoke to 4 HP reps; all insisted I have to pay for the repair since the laptop is “out of warranty.” As the laptop is clearly defective, I requested HP fix it without charge. The last rep offered a 40% discount off the $512.99 repair (half the original cost). I declined. That rep later said the standard 1-year warranty does not even cover this damage "because it's been determined that this isn't normal wear and tear." So, if this had happened 1 month after buying the laptop, the repair wouldn’t be covered. He added, "The case coming apart wouldn't be covered without an accidental damage warranty." Wow. How many warranties does an HP consumer need to buy? Quality clearly is not a priority for HP. Buyer beware!

Original review: July 31, 2020

I bought this HP LAPTOP 14-DQ1039WM in 2019 in USA, and after using only a few months, it got problems with its battery. However, the things I want to point out here is how bad HP customer service is. First, the staff at HP customer services said my laptop could be used up to 8 HOURS, but in fact when I used it first time, it only lasts 4 HOURS and after 5 months using, its battery decreases to only 2-HOUR using which is so much affects my work.

After talking with the HP staffs to solve my laptop problems (but nothing is solved in fact), they REQUIRED me to send my lap to their working office for conveniently repairing and PROMISED that all the things will be processed within 1 week from the days I send to them and they send back, so I believed and sent my laptop to them. But that promise is such a liar, over 1 week, my laptop hasn't sent back and I was delayed with my work just because of believing in their promise.

After 2 weeks, my laptop finally came back but in a dirty cover that they didn't clean my laptop at all, and also my laptop problems aren't not solved since I used to check whether it is repaired well or not, and my laptop only lasts for 4 HOURS using. They're such liars to promise me everything from its battery using up to 8 HOURS to its customer service about delivery days and repaired laptop. I will not buy any HP anymore from now on. And you guys should believe my advice when you're going to buy laptop, I will not suggest HP laptop.

Hewlett Packard author review by ConsumerAffairs

Formerly known as the Hewlett-Packard Company, Hewlett Packard Enterprise, or HP, is a multinational technology company headquartered in Palo Alto, Calif. Their line of desktop, tablet and laptop computers offer consumers a wide selection of devices to fit any computer need.

• HP Pavilion: The HP Pavilion is the basic model of desktop and laptop PCs for home use. The Pavilion line of laptops offers the same type of performance in a portable computer.

• HP Envy: The HP Envy, a more powerful computer than the Pavilion, is designed to run programs that require more powerful hardware. The Envy is also available as an all-in-one computer and a laptop.

• HP Omen: The HP Omen is the company’s performance line of PCs. The Omen tower desktop is built for power while the Omen X gaming machine is a cube-shaped high-performance PC. HP’s Omen laptop is the company’s portable gaming computer.

• HP Z2 mini: The HP Z is a workstation PC designed to run business applications and maximize productivity. The Z2 Mini is a small workstation in a compact case. HP also offers Z model laptops for businesses.

• HP Sprout Pro: The HP Sprout Pro is a 3-D scanning PC designed for educational and creative purposes. It is an all-in-one PC built to be easy to use, combining 3-D capture and editing tools to keep manageability and workflow accessible.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team