2.97/5
Based on 382 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

1264 HP Computers Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

Purchase HP Laptop in March 2018. Had problems the first week. Went to Best Buy where the laptop was purchased and was told on three different occasions was told the problem was with the Hard drive. I called HP more than 10 times, and each time was told it was software problem. Last call 4 times in three hours, three hours nonstop... Talked with 5 customer service rep. I asked for a manager. Told no. I followed their instructions, the laptop really acts up, but the rep told me it was my fault, call back when I fix what I did, when I just followed their instruction.

Finally my brother got in contact with a manager. I was told to send in my laptop. I did and it still after its return does not work properly. One major problem I cannot get on the internet. It is not the internet, because my desktops and Apple devices can, so why not a now six month old laptop. Bottom line Customer Service stinks to high heaven and their products are garbage!!!

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

When I changed my internet provider, all of the devices were able to detect and connect to the new WiFi but not my HP notebook-15-ay198nr. I called the HP tech support, the choices are paid service or free diagnosis. When I chose free diagnosis, it told me to go online to run troubleshoot and hang up. When I chose the paid service, the tech wanted me to pay $35 upfront and then $14.99 per month without even diagnose the problem first. I told him that other 9 devices at home were able to connect to the new WiFi but not my notebook, therefore I didn't want to pay. He did not explain anything but insisted that I need to pay for the warranty first before he would help me. I told him I would like to talk to either his manager, supervisor or someone else, but he kept asking me why do I want to talk to them and repeated even if I talked to them they would still ask me to pay for the warranty.

He wouldn't transfer the call even though I have told him many times I would like to talk to someone else. I had to raised my voice and he still wouldn't give up. Then he said "I am going to put a note here saying that you need warranty". After many attempts, I finally had to hung up on him. After that, my husband went to unplugged the server line and plugged it in again. He also restarted my notebook, then the wireless network showed on the network and internet setting. Now, my notebook is connected to the new WiFi. I am not a computer wizard but my notebook has been able to detect and connect to previous and other public wireless networks, and nothing else was changed or broken. I wish no one will pay for unnecessary services.

Get expert buying tips about Computer Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

HP Notebook 14-af11-nr. Purchased with extended warranty. After first update which was to Windows 10, started getting messages that there wasn't enough space for update and I couldn't use. I returned to store and had to fight with them, then with the extended warranty people until the warranty ran out. Contacted BBB and then they 'replaced' it with another that did the same thing AND had someone else's info in it so I can't even be administrator on my own computer. Ran me around with no warranty because it was used up on the first.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

If you're a creator of some sort or if you like to play games on the PC, I would not recommend this. The PC is very slow and isn't very powerful, it will crash if you have a big program or file open. The past few months have been frustrating to me because whenever I work on my stuff for long periods of time, the computer may crash suddenly, even if I only had two small windows open, and I would lose all my hours of work. Also, my HP laptop could no longer work as normal anymore and needs to be charged at all times or it will shutdown. If you use the computer for work purposes or use big files, I recommend not buying this.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

About 7 months ago I purchased my HP laptop from Walmart, about 2 months or so into owning it, it started shutting down unexpectedly so I contacted them to fix it. They went into my computer and turned off MANY processes which caused some of my programs to not run when launched. I tried getting them to undo the changes and they said if they were to go back into the computer they would need to charge me an additional fee.

WHY should I pay more money to fix their screw up? All I want is for them to undo the changes and I will figure out how to resolve the shutting down problem myself. I was passed around 6 different times to just be told there was nothing they would do unless I paid more money for something they screwed up. Unless there is a law that protects me I'm down 800 dollars using a computer that won't run the products I want it to.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Hewlett Packard?

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

I am a recent HP Elitebook user. Having browsed through numerous laptop sites and pamphlets, I zeroed in on the Elitebook 840 G5 i7 model, which clearly seems to be a mistake now. One thing I forgot to factor in was that great specs on paper do not necessarily translate into a fully-functioning laptop. Let me give you some context.

First Elitebook arrives on 2nd July, 2018. While going through the setup, I faced an automatic shutdown issue and a corrupted BIOS. Contacted the HP Support, went through hours of troubleshooting, before it was processed for a replacement on the 4th of July. This replacement too entailed hours gone to a waste - entertaining the engineer who came in to check every single component and to take their snaps and then a second time to pack the laptop which was supposed to be picked up the next day itself, and contacting the HP support to follow-up why the delivery guy won't come to pick up the packed laptop even after 3 days (the support somehow thought it better not to inform me of the delay!). Between sealing of the laptop and receiving the replacement, I was left without a laptop for almost a week, affecting my work.

On 18th of July comes the new Elitebook (yes, it took 2 weeks to process the replacement, that too in Mumbai). Little did I know this one was going to be yet another thorn. Faced issues with the display and the track-pad, spent hours with the support troubleshooting my way through it. But this was not it. I soon discovered that the microphone was no good either. Sensing my exasperation, the support processed this one too for a replacement. But what they don't understand is that it was not fun the first time, and is definitely an excruciating pain this time. Contacted the Customer Relations with the issue, but all I got was a semi-automated email with no follow-up!

So, to sum it up, as a new HP customer all I have been given is disappointment, false promises, betrayal of trust and loads of wasted hours. I fulfilled my end of the bargain by paying the money upfront and following the instructions as provided by the HP support, only to be reciprocated with successive defective products. In the light of recent events it seems that it is too much to ask for a fully-functioning non-defective product.

It takes years to build up the reputation and become into such a behemoth corporation as HP is today. At the same time, over-confidence leads to recklessness and eventually a feeling of betrayal and being cheated upon for the customer, the very people who were instrumental in HP's success. Businesses should be wary of such a situation, as word-of-mouth is the most potent form of advertisement and feedback. Just to add to it, I and my family have been patrons of Dell, Lenovo and Apple, never having to face such issues. No doubt the deviation this time has proven to be a costly experiment, never to be repeated again.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

I got laptop 12/21//2017. It works fine and fast for about 4 months and after that it starts getting slow. I contacted HP, well like a lot of people am out of luck because the software warranty for 90 days only. Finally filed BBB compliant, someone called me, took the computer back to service center and 2 days later send it back. Nothing changed. The computer STILL slow. And now he is talking about the processor (AMD) is slower in general than Intel, but why didn't been that slow in the 3-4 months after I got it???

I got a NEW laptop that I should expect to depend on and it should hold me and work fine for while but not this piece garbage. Did not work fine for more than 3-4 months. It used to be a lot better and faster, and start slowing down and down, it's shame that big company will treat anyone like this and not to honour their warranty and faulty products. It been a bad experience with HP products.

Original review: July 30, 2018

I have been an HP computer user for more than 10 years. Bought a laptop (17" 2017 Laptop) from HSN without the added protection plan due to the previous dependability and quality. After just 14 months my laptop that I only use once a week for about 2 hours had key issues sticking. I called the company and they said it only has a one year warranty. Well, if customer service would be helpful and have a suggestion other than too bad. What is too bad, is that I will no longer purchase your product.

Original review: July 26, 2018

I bought my son this HP STREAM NOTEBOOK 14 INCH on 4/22/2018. He has only used it twice and it’s been running EXTREMELY slow! This was my second attempt to contact HP for help to find out what the issue was. The tech department ran a test and said the hardware was fine but the laptop has a software issue. The hardware has 1 year warranty and software has 3 months warranty. I was 3 days out of warranty on the software and they didn’t even bother to work with me whatsoever. Keep in mind, my prior phone call to them, there was never a software issue! I’ve purchased 3 computers from HP and within time they all tend to run slower and slower. It wasn’t the issue of paying fifty dollars for a software check, it was more about the principle that they were being sarcastic and not working to help a loyal customer. I will NEVER purchase another HP! It’s a waste of money and time.

Original review: July 25, 2018

Disappointed with HP in general. Computer is 2 months old and blacks out if I leave for 10 minutes, unable to tap back into life without the apparent need to restart with the on/off button. VERY slow, although the Staples guy who sold it to me said I would probably not notice the difference from my very old and dying Dell (Intel Core i5). It's a BIG difference.

I have had bad support from HP on a printer issue in the past and read that the same is true with laptop help. I don't even want to get frustrated going there - Staples of course won't do anything because it is outside the 30 days. Sometimes it stops recognizing the scroll bar and I found I have to use the 2 finger scrolling from the touchpad which is awkward. This is a bad computer and I guess a bad company, unfortunately it's everywhere. Had a 7 yr old HP laptop, same speed, and is still working normally for my ex. This HP laptop model 17-by0061st, Intel Core i3 8th Gen is really crappy. I'm going back to Dell.

Original review: July 19, 2018

At least 15 calls for software support for which I had to make initial payment of $53 to even get the support in the first place. Many problems, none of which could be resolved. Finally ended up returning laptop. They refused to refund my $53 for the software support - total ripoff, not to mention the HOURS I spent on the phone with them. Will call bank today and try to get payment refunded.

Original review: July 19, 2018

The worst service is provided by HP. No response when called. Neither do they have knowledge about any problems and issues. Highly incompetent and unskilled. They cut the calls when asked questions repeatedly. I won't recommend anyone to go for HP because of its very poor customer care support.

Original review: July 18, 2018

My HP Pavilion x360 - m3-u101dx has for the 2nd time gone all black with a screen that reads SMART hard drive error. However, the warranty just ended on 6/29/18. Conveniently, this computer died in mid June so I did not get the alerts about the impending warranty. This issue has happened before in December and HP sent a repair person to my home after FedExing a new hard drive to replace the old one. I have only used this computer maybe 8-10x total in 1 year so I was very upset about this situation.

Because I was not under the warranty, I took it to a local IT repair shop this morning and they said it can't be repaired and if they replace the hard drive, there is an electrical malfunction that shuts off the hard drive. They told me it is a manufacturing issue and it is junk. They can recycle this for me, if I choose. Therefore, I spent 1 hour on the phone today with "Mike from Mumbai" who proceeded to talk in circles about the repair, cause for the issues and what the solutions were. He continually talked over me, read off of a script from HP and basically accused me of breaking the computer on purpose.

His solutions were 2 fold: repair the existing computer for $500+ with a 90 day guarantee or purchase a new version for his good price of $429 (I paid $450 for mine). He would not answer questions about guaranteeing the work or who would repair the computer and told me that if on day 91 the computer broke again, it would be another $500 to repair it. I questioned whether this was a good use of my $ since I only paid $450 for the computer and it has broken before and is only just out of the warranty. He hung up the phone on me and I received an email that my case was closed.

I have never encountered such poor customer service, misogyny to a customer (basically called me **) and kept saying "Miss you don't understand. If you bought a car that the wheels fell off after the warranty expired, you would be in the same boat." He made no sense and refused to let me talk with a supervisor and then hung up on me. I will NEVER EVER buy any HP products ever again. Worst company. Worst service. Worst attempt to try and squeeze more $ out of their customers.

Original review: July 16, 2018

Just bought HP comp. model # 24-b223w three days ago. Computer seems to be working fine. Another story for keyboard! Three days after purchase, keyboard randomly started printing continuous lines of script. EG: geooooooooooooooooorgeeeeeeee, etc. Trying to log into anything was a nightmare! Solved problem by buying a Logitech $20.00 wireless keyboard. Shame on you HP!

Original review: July 14, 2018

HP had me send my brand new computer with a cracked screen for repair. It was not covered under warranty, I had never used it. I paid over $400 to have my new computer fixed. They assured me that my repaired computer would be back to me in less than a week. Three weeks later. They called wanted me to pay another $400 for a new computer, because my repair was complicated. They refused to send my computer back. I am frustrated beyond belief and will NEVER purchase HP again.

Original review: July 13, 2018

Notebook worked poorly right out of the box. Apparently the software installed was beyond old the version of Windows 10... So as much of a hassle that was to solve crap software problem (which I did) my biggest gripe now is the quality of their ** HP Envy 4500 printer. Haven't even had the piece of crap 2 years and it's quit working... Won't turn on... changed receptacle outlets and when I do it turns on and starts flashing in its shut down mode and turns off. So it won't turn on AT ALL once it shuts down. Change outlets again same results. I will never EVER buy an HP ANYTHING.

Original review: July 12, 2018

I just purchased an HP Envy 17-bw0003 laptop from Costco a few days ago and am completely flabbergasted by the AWFUL tech support offered by Hewlett Packard. The new laptop is actually quite nice, but I have been unable to wirelessly connect to the internet without my modem constantly resetting/powering off, and was only able to use the internet with an Ethernet cable. After I made sure everything was updated, I figured it was probably an issue with the network adapters, but I did not know how to fix it on my own, so I called their tech support.

Instead of actually helping me with the problem, I was transferred to "level 2 tech support" which is really just their SALES department, and told that my brand new laptop only has a warranty that covers hardware issues, not software so I needed to purchase an additional $49 warranty for software for them to help me. I told the sales rep that there was no way I was buying another warranty just to install proper network adapters and would be returning the laptop. Fortunately, Costco provides their own tech support for electronics and they were able to help me, so thankfully Costco actually provides great customer service, but I've been so soured on HP by this experience that I'm still thinking of returning the laptop.

Original review: July 11, 2018

I purchased this HP Office Jet PRO 8720 in Feb. 2018 for my home based business. A fax is necessary on a daily basis. Troubleshooting was done with an HP tech. Ultimately, my machine has to be replaced. The quickest that I could get a replacement was 2 days as long as I paid for the over-night shipping fee. Otherwise, it would be 5-7 business days. This is ridiculous! I have a business to run and I should have been provided with an immediate replacement or credit so that I could immediately get another one. I should not have to pay for shipping and have to wait 2 days to get it. Apparently, HP isn't concerned with the immediate replacement needs for businesses.

Original review: July 5, 2018

HP I have extended warranty (care pack) to my new computer, that was returned after 15 days, it was replaced for another one exactly as the old one. But after a year the extended warranty has not been transferred to the new one. Even do I have called at least 10 times during this year. And expend so much time.

Original review: July 5, 2018

I have been greatly disappointed with HP in general, and the HP Techs since the purchase of my laptop, now six months ago. It had serious problems, unannounced shutdowns, slow operating and failing to shut down (without updates). Hours upon hours dealing with techs to fix the situation, some of the time repeating fixes that the prior techs did not enter for continuity. Finally the motherboard was replaced after mailing it in for the "final fix". It doesn't shut down now, so far, however it is extremely slow; still doesn't shut down at times when selected. This has been a loser from day one, with no opportunity for a refund. A generally terrible experience.

Original review: July 3, 2018

Pathetic services by HP. I have ordered a 'HP Bluetooth Speaker 400' and 'HP White S6500 Wireless Speaker' and it's been a month and I haven't received my products yet. I have sent an email to HP customer care 'hpestore.in@hp.com' too but I haven't got any response too.

Original review: July 2, 2018

My husband got me a HP laptop, February. Around May every time I turn on the laptop a red and blue line come on the middle of the screen. Then one day I was using it for some reason the screen crack while I was closing it. I call customer service because I have warranty plus my husband got extra warranty and they said I have to pay 500 for a new screen. My question is why HP company write on the warranty information paperwork that it have 1 year parts warranty and 1 year labor if they don't replace the screen if it says parts that include every parts of the laptop. I think HP is a scam, why they ask if we want extra warranty if they can’t help.

Original review: July 1, 2018

Not sure why I am even giving them 2 stars except that after 2 hours of fighting, I finally got what I needed. It seems that the HP Corporation must put MAJOR, MAJOR pressure on the customer service staff to not provide replacements for any product. Trying to save pennies??? I had a print head for an all-in-one that was not working. The print head had a warranty date and serial number printed right on it. I called HP to get this print head replaced and WOW, did they try EVERY trick in the book, every lie, every scam, every idea they could come up with to not replace this print head.

The issue really was black and white. The print head had a warranty date...it was not working...period. It needed to be replaced. After being sent to MANY different operators, employees, departments; and after spending TWO HOURS of arguing... I was finally able to get my print head replaced. My all-in-one is now a happy camper mostly thanks to me not giving up arguing with HP customer service and maybe a little bit thanks to HP (a very little bit).

Original review: June 29, 2018

Frustrated with HP Product never buy this. I bought HP laptop from Staple with below details around 8 months ago to gift someone. During this period I never used this laptop much as I moved to some other location and I am single user staying alone. When I started using this laptop I faced some issue as its Keyboard and touchpad not working as expected. After some time suddenly Keyboard stopped working. When I connected to Tech support they identified Liquid damage and asking for money to repair it. I shocked to listen this words from support team. There is not liquid damage from my side. When I denied to pay and they returned my laptop without repair. This is completely frustrated me as I know that there is wrong happened from my side to this laptop for which HP is asking the money to repair more than its cost.

This is simple business to get the accidental coverage by selling the defected laptop. The only mistake is that I bought the product and never checked thoroughly within 14 days. Please don't ask this penalty for small mistake as I trusted HP and have full faith on HP product. This the reason I haven't checked the laptop and things went so wrong. Case number: **. Product Description: HP Pavilion - 14-bk091st. Product Number: 1KT96UA. Serial Number: 5CD7427RJW.

Original review: June 27, 2018

I bought HP laptop Envy 360 of $814 about 3 months back from Best Buy as recommended by my friend but my experience was with HP is a nightmare. After almost 1.5 month I faced some technical problem in my laptop and I sent to HP for repairing. They changed the HDD and motherboard of laptop and send back to me. When I got back my laptop it was doing fine for 10 days only afternoon that same problem. I contacted to HP customer care and again send my laptop for repair.

I bought a premium laptop and thought HP would be great company and customer services and products but my money wasted. I am waiting for laptop to replace and repaired but today I got call from customer care and they said operating system of my laptop is not compatible with hard drive. That’s why you face some problem. But operating system was inbuilt when I bought from Best Buy so how can this renowned company’s product would be faulty? My college has been started I buy that the costly laptop for study but still I am waiting for its repair or replacement. No local services center who help me out for this situation. My complaint or service order number is **. Very very bad experience and I would warn my friend to not buy the HP products.

Original review: June 27, 2018

The HP Envy laptop I purchased for my wife came with some installed HP repair service contract that I did not ask for when I purchased the PC and when the one year "free" service expired the wireless internet stopped working almost exactly one week later. So I simply connected a wire and bypassed the wireless. One year after that I got another HP service message on the PC WHEN I WAS ON THE INTERNET and suddenly the very next day the PC internet connection stopped working with a wired internet connection and said it had a IP address problem. I have 2 other computers and a TV and all of them work fine with my network provider. The other PCs and the TV all work right now in fact. There is no internet problem in my house whatsoever with wireless or direct connections so I suspect HP is deliberately inserting service problems into their PCs to make the consumer purchase their worthless service contract.

Some of the other complaints on this site seem to allude to this same problem. Even if that is not the case then I'm certain this HP is an unreliable piece of crap that has had 2 problems in the first 2 years. I would never purchase another HP piece of junk after this issue. I will not seek service for this piece of crap. I will simply chalk it up as a loss and consider HP an unreliable garbage company that is unworthy of my business.

Original review: June 26, 2018

I purchased an HP laptop a couple months ago and not been able to use it, which at the time wasn’t an issue because I have an alternate. I finally decide to call customer support to see why nothing will update and they tell me that the company doesn’t provide any software support unless you pay an additional 15$ a month for that service. Seriously? It fails every time I’ve tried to update. Complete GARBAGE! Worthless support, worthless warranty. I will never purchase anything Hewlett-Packard again and highly recommend others do the same.

Original review: June 20, 2018

I purchased a software repair service with Hewlett Packard and canceled it during the same call with the same agent 1 minute after the purchase. I have been getting charged for the service for 3 months. They never canceled it and now want $70 to cancel it on top of what they have charged me already.

Original review: June 19, 2018

I purchased a 17 inch HP Envy at Sam's Club and paid over $800 for laptop. After 6 months computer did not work. Since it was under warranty was returned to HP. In less than 8 months computer stopped working again. Talked with several CS Reps at HP and HP was not willing to fix or replace this defective product. Took computer to local repair shop and was told it was the motherboard and not worth fixing. I believe every company could produce 1 bad product out of an entire assembly line and I believe I got that product. However, was very disappointed that HP would not recognize that possibility.

Original review: June 6, 2018

Within 6 months (low to moderate use) of purchasing this laptop (HP Notebook 15-AP) the hard drive failed. I returned to Best Buy where it was purchased and they sent the computer for repair. A little over 2 weeks later it was returned. Within 3 months, the hard drive crashed. Returned again to Best Buy. They took about 2 weeks or so to fix. Two weeks ago, the hard drive crashed. Since the computer was then a week out of warranty - I was out of luck! Is it paranoia to think that these computer manufacturers and/or repairmen can time the self destruction of the hard drive?

Hewlett Packard expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Formerly known as the Hewlett-Packard Company, Hewlett Packard Enterprise, or HP, is a multinational technology company headquartered in Palo Alto, Calif. Their line of desktop, tablet and laptop computers offer consumers a wide selection of devices to fit any computer need.

• HP Pavilion: The HP Pavilion is the basic model of desktop and laptop PCs for home use. The Pavilion line of laptops offers the same type of performance in a portable computer.

• HP Envy: The HP Envy, a more powerful computer than the Pavilion, is designed to run programs that require more powerful hardware. The Envy is also available as an all-in-one computer and a laptop.

• HP Omen: The HP Omen is the company’s performance line of PCs. The Omen tower desktop is built for power while the Omen X gaming machine is a cube-shaped high-performance PC. HP’s Omen laptop is the company’s portable gaming computer.

• HP Z2 mini: The HP Z is a workstation PC designed to run business applications and maximize productivity. The Z2 Mini is a small workstation in a compact case. HP also offers Z model laptops for businesses.

• HP Sprout Pro: The HP Sprout Pro is a 3-D scanning PC designed for educational and creative purposes. It is an all-in-one PC built to be easy to use, combining 3-D capture and editing tools to keep manageability and workflow accessible.

• Best for: HP computers are best for casual users, businesses, gamers and anyone else looking for a PC.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs

3000 Hanover Street
Palo Alto
www.hp.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business