Gateway

Compare Computer Brands

Research top Computer Brands recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I purchased the all-in-one Gateway desktop early in 2010 for less than $1000, and 6 1/2 years later it is still performing. I've had two more expensive Dells and two HPs, each which began declining after about 2 years--never to recover. In its old age, the Gateway sometimes slows down a little--it has been used for work and shared by two people for several years. I do a little clean-up, and it pops back. Incredible!

I purchased Gateway's NE2204U laptop for school in 2012 and have had nothing but issues with it since purchase. Within 90 days the charger stopped working and of course warranty does not cover that so I had to purchase another charger at $80. Fast forward another 6 months and the charger goes out again. You guess it I had to purchase ANOTHER charger around the same time the mouse stopped working and some of the keys weren't registering. After A LOT of back and forth I sent the laptop in to Gateway to get fixed. Well long story short the mouse chooses when it wants to work and there's a huge lag when typing.

Oh and I forgot to mention it would not install Microsoft office so a rep at Gateway had to remotely try to install Microsoft but every time it would get to the final stage the computer would crash. Still don't have Microsoft. Definitely would not recommend buying Gateway especially for school cause it won't work and Gateway is incapable of fixing the problem and refuses to replace the laptop.

As I use it for only Netflix, it serves its purpose. Lightweight. I just pop it into its little suitcase and go... Plane, ship, car, always by my side. So far no glitches except with Netflix. To date it keeps stopping... and up pops "Netflix is not responding." I think they have overextended their equipt. Get Netflix to install more equipt to accommodate all the new customers they have acquired.

I sent my computer in to be fixed because I uninstalled something I needed. Computer came back with unreadable bios, missing a piece in back and dvd player no longer working. They said to send it back on them and they had it almost two weeks. Sent it back to me claiming all these things were fixed and not one of them were! Still can't use dvd player or read bios! The worst experience I ever had!!!

I just saw all these review (smdh) about Gateway computers. I bought a Gateway years ago. Work good for the first year. Then the trouble started. Oh the service people no help whatsoever. Just a big run around. After letting them into my puter to FIX whatever was wrong with it, they seem to FIX it. After going into parts of my computer I found tons of hidden thing in my puter. I had my internet and cable and phone through our internet provider. Then the things I found hidden I started deleting all of it – everything I found hidden in my puter and when I deleted all that crap out if from my Gateway then with my home phone went nuts. We had calls coming in from all over the U.S., Tennessee, Oregon, California, Pennsylvania, Washington, Florida, Maryland, Georgia and the caller ID. This went on for over a week. Calls were coming in all hours of the night and day nonstop. I never answer the phone to any of the calls.

I unplugged the computer and got rid of the internet and home phone. My internet company (COMCAST) did nothing to help me on this. Either they lie to me on the phone. I now have to go into the office building in my city to do anything with my Comcast service. I can't call in for help. They keep me on hold for over half hour to a hour at a time every time I call in. They have setup service guy to come to my home just check my cable TV. Set me up with appointment for Comcast guy to come to my home. I called later that day to let them know "Don't send guy out. It’s fixed. My son fixed it." and they told me, "I'm sorry ma'am. We never had an appointment setup for you." So that meant I would have took a day off work, no pay for nobody to show up from Comcast. I will never call in when a service guy needs to come out and I DON'T need his help. I will let them easy their time and had just to tell him "It’s fixed." Lol.

The office lady told me when I call in I should get someone different on the phone every time I call in but nope I get the same lady every time. They got my phone number programmed in to go right to that same lady. She had me in HOLD one day. TOLD me to hold my TV remote. Of course I set it down. She said had to check on something. She came back in the offer after having me on hold half hour or longer and said "ARE YOU STILL HOLDING THE REMOTE?” I lied and said yes. SHE SAID "OH GOOD" AND SHE HUNG UP ON ME.

I believe that Gateway computers are being use for storing THEIR stuff into our puters that we don't see or look for and that's why everyone’s Gateway are already breaking down. Gateway and Comcast know my full name and where I live. That why I have terrible connecting with the internet on cell phone. They know my exact location. And it don't matter what I buy they control it and make it not work. $120 tablet $30 month for 6G and $5 for hotspot which I have on cell phone that grandkids already connect to when they are here. All that money and it still DON'T work. It's sitting in the drawer. They know my name and location through Metro company. But the good thing is I don't care about internet. I just read on it. News and reviews. Maybe a game here and there.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Gateway?

I love this computer. I understand what people are going through with their lemon, I bought a 70 inch Sharp television, it is a lemon, thousands wasted on it with a screen issue. This Gateway computer has no issues, it is unfortunate that the company failed and was bought by Acer in 2007. For me Acer is a good company as I would buy another product from them based on having this desktop for over two years, I use it every day all year long for many hours.

Gateway DX4870-UB17 - I also purchased this unit NEW from Best Buy in 2013. It is 2015. The unit starts up when it wants to, not sure if it is the power supply, the hard drive or the motherboard. No one wants to help. I call Gateway. They refuse to take any calls unless you have a warranty. Best Buy said they can test it but is a fee, I purchased it for 499.99. This is a lot of money for this PC to have problems. I think a recall is in order. I do have the original receipt but it is hard to read like faded out.

Paid good money for The PC. Still paying on The Extended Warranty..... Can't get help from the online links for support, or even on Google. I am LIVID!!!!! Also if I had have wished for an ACER PC, in my home, I would have sought This BRAND OUT. I did not, but that is what this GATEWAY DX4870 DESKTOP IS.... That makes me even more ill. Damn near a lie... Sorry is a lie.

I was given a laptop and I loved it (Gateway). I put all my "e" mail addresses and my Netflix on it so when we traveled I could communicate with the scattered family and friends... nothing else is on it. Last May someone tried to update something on my laptop and it did not go through, then they tried to remove it and they could not do that either... it crashed... I lost everything. Microsoft at fault? If not them who?

We had to order a disc and re-do everything... it took almost a week to get the disc then I had to type in all my "e" mail data. Now I am 90 years old and I spend about 8 to ten hours on my two computers. As I am deaf, Netflix closed caption has been my life... when it goes down I am lost. I feel no one should have access to our computers. Now my desk, Gateway computer...

For Christmas a couple of years ago I was also given a new tower... I love it. However about the first of 2015 when I logged off... the pop up said "do not turn off or unplug etc. - there are 30 updates to be entered." I went to bed and it automatically shut off... However every night for months I have been given the same pop up and now must have well over a hundreds new "whatevers" on my computer... my picture albums are a jumble of "crap" amid my pictures.

I write "e" mails and letters on Word endlessly... they have entered my "e " mail and arranged it so I only have about four inches to write on because of the adds on the right flank of my monitor. They have put one whole set of one of a kind pictures from my albums. I have a friend in a wedding dress and the next picture is of some one on a tractor in the middle of loading rolls of hay. Everything is just a mess from their having access without my permission to my computer... My computer before they took over was so easy for me to locate things... now it is one mad jumble. I am the only one who has access to my computers so as I do not do anything destructive to it and no one else touches it... who is destroying it? And please make them stop. This is my only form of entertainment... and they have destroyed my pleasure. Thanks for listening...

I purchased a Gateway laptop from Wal-Mart Dec. 2013 for my daughter. It slowed down and finally crashed May 2015. I tried to contact them online and by phone, but can't get through because the warranty ended 5 months ago. Now they want me to give them $200 to discuss or fix it. I read a lot of the same reviews. The computer says "Please Wait."

In 2013 we purchased TWO (2) exact same Gateways from Best Buy, DX4870-UB17/INTEL I3/Model DX4870-UB17/SKU:7355043, for about $400 each. Fast forward to May 2015, BOTH computer's motherboards fail at the same time. Geek Squad recommends we just go buy new computers as motherboards cost almost as much. UNCONSCIONABLE. I am appalled at Gateway that they would sell a product like this and do nothing to help us just because there is no warranty. I'm sure they know full well that whole line was screwed up. Our office budget is tight and this really threw an unnecessary wrench in our plans. No one in this office will EVER buy a Gateway again in our lifetimes and will advise everyone we know to stay away.

First, I am a experienced Computer Technician. I work on Desktops, and Laptops all the time. So here is my story: I purchase a Gateway NV7915u Notebook in 2011, refurbished. It works great until all the sudden in late 2014, it would just shut off after being used. Just click and OFF. I installed CPUID HWMonitor and SpeedFan, and both showed the CPU reaching 90C idling at the desktop. The fan was on full blast, but blowing COLD air. I immediately shut it down and replaced the thermal paste. This brought the temps down to 80C idling. Still way too high. I pulled out the heat sink, cleaned it, and stuck the CPU end into boiling hot water. The other end where the fan blows out remains room temp. I have now bought 4 heat sinks. One used and tested working, one refurbished, and two brand new.

The used one did the same thing mine did. The refurbished did after a week and a half, both new ones failed in 2-4 weeks. On all 4 when they failed, the fan kicked out cold air instead of warm/hot.This is a major design flaw. I am about to buy some heat pipes and custom make a cooler, since Gateway obviously can't. But I don't have enough time, and need this laptop working. I am unable to reach Gateway over phone, or chat, as my warranty is required. I will continue to try. I have gotten in touch with them via email, but they said and I quote "Gateway is not responsible for any damages happening to the laptop, and it must have occurred by wear damage. A local computer repair shop can replace it for you."

I am a computer repair technician, and I have replaced it 4 times now. On the internet, the NV79 overheating is very common. There are pages of complaints. (Don't believe me, Google it.) I think Gateway owes me a WORKING heat sink with a 1 year warranty. I do not have the money to buy another laptop right now, as I need to buy other more important things. I am for sure not buying another Gateway, or Acer laptop. Should have gotten a Dell or HP or Lenovo.

One of our PCs' hard drive failed and I installed a new one and installed Windows. I went to Gateway's website to download the drivers and they are not available for my PC even though it is only a couple years old. I called support and they wanted to charge me $199 to help me. Our company has over 50 Gateway PCs and I can guarantee that we will NEVER purchase Gateway again. And I will tell everyone I meet about this horrible experience. You've lost a customer for life!!!

I had a sudden issue with the computer unable to connect to the internet. I reached out to the Gateway IT for assistance and after going through a number of steps with the initial individual, I was told my computer was corrupt and the only way I could get it fixed was to speak to a technician, but it would cost me a minimum of $99 for a one day extended warranty. After paying the $99 I was connected to a technician who simply had me do a system restore that fixed the issue. In my opinion, I was misled into believing the issues was much more serious than it was and the first individual could've suggested the same remedy and saved me the cost of the one day extended warranty. That, to me, would've been real customer service.

I reached out to the "customer care" department, who ironically didn't "care" about my situation. I was told there was nothing they could do for me. I tried to reach out to Gateway directly but was unable to speak to anyone in person as I was continually redirected back to the IT department that ripped me off in the first place. After being treated the way I was treated, this will definitely be the last Gateway product I will ever purchase and I will be sharing this experience as much as possible so that I can prevent others from buying a Gateway product and taking the chance to be treated the same.

The computer was broken from the start. Sound so low you had to use ear plugs. Would not come on, had to call customer service many times. The plug would overheat, so I had to buy another one. There was a dent on top of screen. Computer had problems all along. I sent the computer to Texas to have fixed. Cost me $30 to ship. Came back in 6 weeks. I had to find a ride to pick it up 45 minutes away. They put a different cracked screen on. They said I could return it so they could 'look' at it. That would be another ride to Ups and $30 more, another 6 weeks, another ride 45 minutes to pick up. 12 weeks without a computer and $60.

So, I have a cracked screen that made the plastic around the screen loose and is falling off and now the plastic around the bottom is falling apart. The screen wobbles back and forth and ready to fall off. Not to mention dealing with customer service that does not seem to know what they are doing and I cannot understand their thick Indian accent. I've spend too much time dealing with this company for a cheap computer that was defective out of the box and in less than a year is useless! Never Again Gateway.

I call Gateway that my computer was not keeping time and when I turn the computer on it would cut off the dvd burner if not burning. The computer is only 5 month old so when I tell Gateway this they say that I need to pay 299.00 dollar so I say the computer is under warranty and I not going to pay nothing so they put a virus in my computer. How I got to pay to sent it to Gateway? PS tell everybody do not buy Gateway. You see it on QVC SHOPHQ HSN. DON'T BUY.

I purchased this Gateway at Best Buy in Joplin MO on 1/22/2011. The motherboard went out in March of 2012. Best Buy sent it in for me and was fixed for 300.00 plus 34.95 shipping. In June of 2014 the motherboard went out again. Best Buy has sent it in twice for me and both times they send it back unrepaired because they cannot get the part. I will never buy another Gateway computer. Seems the computers overheat and the video chip comes loose from the board. Instead of simply soldering the chip back, they insist on replacing the motherboard.

Almost 2 years ago I bought a Gateway PC at Walmart in Tucson, AZ. 2 weeks ago my PC broke: "Your PC/Device needs to be repaired." I learned that the PC does not come with the recovery tools. At the time of purchased, Walmart did not disclose/fail to notify me that Gateway does not provide the CD recovery. I called Gateway many times and what they do is reroute to another company that it will fix my PC but I have to pay them ($100). I cannot believe some PC companies are doing this without tell the merchants or customers about this policy. I called Gateway again today and I was on hold for 1 hour until my phone ran out of power. Hope someone can provide me with a phone from them that I can plead my case.

I called Gateway to get tech support help for my computer. Since I was out of warranty, I was told I would have to go through an out of warranty dept in order to get help, and in doing so, had to pay upfront in order to speak to tech support. There was a one time fee of $99.00 dollars and $159.00 for a year, consisting of 15 incidents. I paid for 1 year, this was late night Oct 19th 2014. Once the salesman completed transaction, I was connected to Answers by help desk, referred by Gateway. I explained to the rep what was wrong with my computer, that the main issue was not being able to get on to Windows desktop and computer was running very, very slow. I also told them in Windows boot error a message said "A file was missing or corrupt." then the file code. I worked with at least 5 tech reps, including a supervisor, at least four working on my computer, via remote.

After hours and days, not one of these tech supports reps made any improvements on my computer, while via remote. I could see them doing things like deleting, moving things around. Each at different days doing different things to my computer, I could see they seem not to know what they was doing, and I could see my computer getting worse. Then they started telling me in order to help me I need a second computer in order to continue to help me. When I told them this was not a option for me, they said once I get this, give a call back. There was other things they said I needed to do, things that I knew was not needed to be done.

I know some basics of my computer and knew it would just create more issues I did not have. The computer issues I had should have been solved by at least 1 out of 5 reps, including a supervisor! If professionals. I became so stressed dealing with these people, I asked for a refund and in a reasonable frame of time. First they told me I did not have that option, then they offered to take $99.00 and give me what's left. I reminded them I did not buy their one shot deal, which is what they charge, that I paid for the one year 15 incidents deal, which by the way, they had started to take points away from me. When I questioned them about it, reminding them we were working on the same issues, and each attempt made by them failed to fix the problem and each time I called in to them, their phone system asked if this was same issue, or different one, I always said same issue, so why were they cheating me out of points, down to 13 from 15 incidents I paid for, then the rep said the points would be replaced.

I do not know if it was replaced because I stopped the sessions for fear of them harming my computer further. In the amount of time dealing with these people my computer should have been fixed, but it was not, and worse off, I did not accept for them to take 99 dollars because they didn't fix my computer, but lied by saying I benefited from them, participated and got what I asked for. I asked for help to fix my computer. That did not happen. And what benefits? My computer getting worse by them? I do not know what they could mean by I participated? Do they mean my doing what they instructed me to do? Or watching at least four of them, via remote, working inside my computer, causing more bad issues??

This is my questions and response to them thinking this entitle them to take money they did not earn. If my computer was fixed I would not be complaining, I am honest, during the time from their sessions that I made sure enough time so they could not make claims after. On Oct 30th, I contacted Microsoft for help. A tech support rep helped me and in a day and a half me following their instructions, my computer is up and running with no problems to this day. It was professional help from Microsoft. I was told SUTHERLAND GLOBAL CO is connected to this tech support people. I tried to contact them via email, all came back say address unknown, with contact number, everybody and operator acted as if they never heard of anything and connected me to anybody except who I asked for.

So it's plain to see Sutherland Global don't want to be bothered, their contact number 18003884557. I feel these companies should be held responsible for what's going on here and should refund money to customers who did not get what they paid for. And referred the customer to these people, and tell you that it's not them but a third party you are dealing with. Totally acting like they had nothing to do with it. It's very unfair. Sorry details of this needs to be told to know what happened. Receipt was via email.

Consumer Increased Rating!

My issue with Gateway/Acer has more than fairly been resolved. They went out of their way to take care of my complaint and offered me excellent service. I am now very happy and would feel confident in purchasing their products in the future!

Melanie of Laguna Niguel., CA on

Original Review

Both the keyboard and charging port on my Gateway started having problems and stopped working. I contacted Acer online and they told me to send it in for repair under the warranty. After a couple of weeks I received an email stating that I needed to contact them or they were going to ship the laptop back, email did not say why. So I contact them again through the online chat, the customer service representative assures me that everything is fine and they are just waiting on a part to repair the laptop. Thus, I am happy and go about my business and other things that occupy my life. However, apparently the customer service guy made a mistake and apparently sent me another email - saying that there had been liquid spillage on my computer and it was not covered.

I understand liquid spillage would not be covered, I am not even aware how the spillage occurred unless somebody in my house did it and didn't tell me. However, after waiting over two weeks for a computer I desperately need to make money to live on, and because of missing an email I was not expecting or looking for, they went ahead and just sent it back to me. I called through to the corporate office where the lady was nice and offered to reduce the price of repair from over $220 to $125 after much begging on my part for some kind of compensation for this inconvenience. Unfortunately, now I would have to wait another two weeks for the repair, and more time and thus income is lost for me as I use this computer for my home business.

I have to wait for the computer to arrive back to me, and send it in yet again and the price of repairing it, is about the same price they sell for a brand new one on eBay! I am not seeing the point, I might as well just get a different brand online, as I don't think I want to purchase again from this company. It is their fault that their service guy told me the wrong information and wasted my time and they really should repair it free of charge. Their error slowed me down, is costing me lost income - from what I would earn online with my laptop and what I would lose in two weeks without having it - is not even close to a balance and makes no sense! Also, the ridiculously quick time in mailing it back??? I mean really, 2 days I don't see the email and now it is on it's way back when I thought they were waiting for a part!!! I am not happy. If a company makes an error, they need to make accommodations so the customer is not out of money from their mistake.

I purchased 2 Gateway computers (one was an Acer Aspire) at the beginning of summer. About three months later, both computers were unable to complete the MS updates. They locked and needed to be "restored". When you restore a Gateway, everything, including drivers, are removed. You don't even have a mouse and they become unusable. Before I knew this, I purchased another on Monday. By Tuesday, I had the same problem. In an attempt to contact Gateway, I got nothing but outsourced IT Techs willing to fix my computer for $249.

I made an in-store purchase of a Gateway Desktop PC on Sept.7, 2013 from Best Buy in West Mifflin, Pa. I declined their offer of an extended warranty as it was unaffordable, as well as unnecessary with a built-in 1 year factory warranty already included. Having had only purchased (3 to be exact) used computers in the past & never having needed to have Any of those PCs malfunction, figured buying a brand new PC I was pretty safe from having any issues because with technology advancements, I'd certainly be needing to replace my PC within 2 yrs. with a newer model to be up to date anyways.

I set up my PC & followed all instructions that came with it "to a t", installed software as directed, purchasing & adding anti-virus protection immediately, using only Gateway recommended settings to prevent problems, & not visiting any sites Norton flagged as "untrusted". Within 3 weeks, PC acquired a virus, according to Gateway tech support when I called & chatted online with 4 separate representatives with the "resolution" being I must purchase "recovery cd media" from Gateway for $20. I did so & removed all programs from my PC & reinstalled accordingly, added 2 antivirus protecting programs guaranteed through my ISP.

And again PC had "acquired" virus which, according to Gateway, required me to pay for packing & shipping ($67) after hours of troubleshooting with 3 separate representatives, in addition to waiting "7-10 business days once unit received to have issue 'diagnosed', as per the 1 year warranty provided through them (Gateway), which have very specific guidelines for packing & shipping to their "closest repair center" in Texas, more than halfway across the country, about 3000 miles from where I live (& purchased PC).

I have yet to find out IF the warranty will cover cost to repair/replace part(s) necessary to get PC back in usable condition but at this point, I've literally spent more time troubleshooting this PC than I've used it, which I've used it for a total of about 12 hours, troubleshot for a total of NO LESS THAN 60 hours & it has (so far) cost me an out of pocket total of $460 for just the tower (accessories were not included with my purchase, not including then in total cost). I pay $55/mo for high speed internet through my ISP, have paid for internet services for 10 mos now ($550) & have used those services for 12 hours (max) now due to PC issues, not ISP issues whatsoever & not able to disconnect internet services without penalties so basically I've gotten pretty much nothing but pure inconvenience thanks to GATEWAY 's defective product. Because I have done absolutely nothing other than innocently purchase a product & follow recommendations from Gateway just to end up without a PC.

I should have purchased a Dell or Apple computer as they have been both rated far better than Gateway by consumers since Sept 2013. Lesson learned, check consumer reviews very carefully before purchasing expensive electronics & purchase in-store added extended warranties for anything costing more than $100, especially when extended warranty cost is a small fraction of overall cost in comparison! Do NOT rely on factory warranty for GATEWAY for PCs unless you plan on wasting countless hours just to be insulted by company representatives as when I asked to have shipping cost waived due to issue NOT caused by me, was treated as though I was dumb for not purchasing warranty to cover such cost.

I was also told by last tech support agent I contacted (to attempt to have issue resolved) that I "can research through Gateway's website" for contact on my own to get Gateway's customer/consumer service contact info, as IF that isn't common sense, but I was so frustrated having already wasted hours upon hours tried avoiding spending another 20 minutes "researching info" that agent had right there in front of him, refused to help me other than give me address where to ship their defective product to, "for diagnosis". Worst experience with a product in MY LIFE. &, I am 45 yrs old.

Let's see... After locating the product identifier on the back of my Monitor printed in 1 point type (I know, they all do this), the person on the other end of the phone recognized that the Monitor was indeed under warranty, however in order to make a warranty claim, the monitor had to be packed up and shipped AT MY EXPENSE to their center in Texas (I live in Georgia), and it would take two weeks minimum. Seriously??? That's the same thing as saying "Go get another Monitor" since I don't know anyone who would find having having their computer down for 2 weeks acceptable.

I work for a major Telecom and the Warranty process is simple: We ship a refurbished product out and you send the non-functioning one back within 14 days or get charged. SeaGate replaces bad hard drives the same way. It's not a difficult concept, and the way you have it set up shows your utter contempt for the Consumer quite clearly. So, no problem, guys. I will NEVER purchase another Gateway or Acer product. You'll save lots of money on those warranty claims you don't honor when people aren't buying them anymore. I sure as heck won't be and I'll be sure to tell everyone I know the same thing. It really is a shame, Gateway used to be superb equipment.

Your contact support is absolutely terrible. I asked for tech support and I got tech support in India. The person talk to was barely understandable. Both people during two conversation cost me $99.99 and then I ordered discs at $39.99 and guess what... Neither the tech support or the recovery disks worked. Gateway, you are terrible and I will never buy your product again and I NEVER RECOMMEND YOUR PRODUCT TO ANYONE. This is from a 31 year retired disabled veteran of the US Navy.

I will NEVER purchase another Gateway product in my life. I've had my laptop for less than 3 weeks and had to contact customer support numerous times. I tried on multiple occasions to contact their live chat support and their Indian representatives never had a clue as to how to help me. My laptop was shipped with some Trovi malware that I had to find out how to remove myself. And when I've called about technical issues with this defective laptop, they're just as useless on the phone as they are in live chat. I am not confident this laptop will survive more than a year. I really feel they knowingly shipped me a lemon with a virus and their customer support doesn't care either way.

Bought a Gateway Laptop ne71B Thru GROUPON. Receipt says mfg refurbished. Unit does not power on. Gateway website says it can't be registered because someone else owns it... And I can't talk or send it in without it being registered. There was paperwork from LIQUIDATION.COM... Cayman Islands. STAY AWAY FROM GATEWAY.

This has to be the worst laptop I have ever bought. It is SLOW! I am talking dial up slow. It freezes on webpages and they have crammed so much crap on here when it comes to apps. It is negatively impacting the speed that it runs. I lost the receipt so I can return it and I honestly want to throw it out the window. By the way, there is a panel on the side that looks like a disk drive. That is why I bought it. Guess what? No disk drive, you have to pay for it to be installed. Thanks. I am going to save my money and get a laptop that is not a gateway, then this damn thing is being tossed out of an eight story window.

Defect in my laptop NE 522 series - My husband purchased this laptop 12-15-2013 for my Christmas present. I started using it and kept getting locked up in every web page or app that I went into. I called them. They took control of the laptop. Said it was fine. I kept having the problem over and over every day. I kept getting “you’re not connected to the internet” yet everyone else was connected. I would get msg that the web page has stopped responding yet my husband is down the hall on his brand new Samsung laptop playing the same game and he says no he has no interruptions.

I called again. They said for 200.00 they can fix it. They said my internet has a virus. So I called my internet provider and for $12.00 they went and troubleshooted the internet and they said nothing is wrong; if there was then everyone would have a problem. So I called again a few days later and told them I do not want this laptop and they said “No, because you only have a month.” They said for $89.00 (what a difference from the original $200.00) they can fix it. I said “No, I have had other laptops and never had this problem.” So I called my credit card company and they will try to dispute this. I hope they take it back and I think I am going to invest in a Mac.

Bought Gateway One GZ7220 March 2008 for $1350.00. Purchased 2 year extended warranty for $150.00. Within one year, the ink rubbed off the keyboard keys leaving the majority of them blank. Warranty would not replace the keyboard calling it a cosmetic defect. Really? It's a product defect. I replaced it myself! Not long after that, the mouse broke. I replaced it myself. During the third year of ownership, the DVD drive burnt up. Extended warranty did replace that. In 2012 the hard drive went belly up. Past the warranty so I had to replace it myself to the tune of almost $200.00. Had to use the original factory disk to install Vista on the new HD. Started going through Windows updates. Vista service pack one would not install, ntoskernl.exe corrupted during sp1 install and have to run system repair from DVD disk. Windows Update won't work and can't do other updates because sp1 isn't installed. I blame this on faulty Gateway Vista OS. If I could sue Gateway for misrepresenting their product as a reliable product I would do it in a heartbeat.

I have an old HP People PC from 1998 that still works! The keyboard labels are fine!. The CD player is fine! The HD is fine! The mouse is fine! The OS is fine! (Replaced old crt monitor with LCD). I have an old Dell from 2003. The keyboard labels are fine! The HD is fine! The mouse is fine! The CD/DVD player is fine! The OS is fine! GATEWAY IS JUNK and I will never buy another, I will discourage anyone I know from buying one EVER.

My husband and child gave me Gateway for mother's day present. Just because of mother's day present, I still survive to keep it. No matter since the day I opened the package and start using it already have so many issue and trouble. I wanted to return, have to pay open package fee at $70, too much! I have been trying to fix in many ways, but remain so slow even still so much space on it, with any virus and malware software still get attacked, keyboard keep jumping, strange noise when log off/on, cursor freeze most of time and so on and so on and finally just a black screen. Fixing it, spend another $400 and in result remain worst of the worst! They just don't provide any freaking support, nothing! I spent too much money, energy and time already for this crap! Just for a respect I keep it on my desk or else in the garbage bin! One lesson and that's it! Do not walk but RUN!!!

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

From its humble beginning in Midwestern American farmhouse in 1985, Gateway has become one of the most recognizable technology brands in the world. In 2007, Gateway was bought by Acer and the combined companies comprise one of the largest PC companies in the world. Gateway PCs are available for purchase at select retailers.

• SX Series: A more compact version of most tower PCs, the Gateway SX Series is a small desktop computer that can perform any basic task and fit any space or décor.
  • DX Series: The Gateway DX is a more powerful and expandable desktop tower computer than the SX. It is best for multimedia users and creators.
  • Gateway One ZX: Gateway’s all-in-one desktop computer is the Gateway One ZX series. These PCs are easy to use and compact to fit any area.
  • LT Series: The Gateway LT Series is a touch-screen laptop. It is the first 10.1-inch laptop display capable of touch-screen functionality and HD rendering.
  • NE Series: The Gateway NE Series is the company’s all-around laptop. It is a slim model built to handle both daily tasks and entertainment needs.
  • Best for Gateway is best for consumers looking for an all-around computer to suit basic needs.

Compare Computer Brands