1.65/5

642 Epson Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 2, 2018

I recently purchased Epson XP-830 to replace a previous Epson printer. I sincerely love the printer. I appreciate the fact that it uses separate ink cartridges for each color. Copies are sharp and color photos are outstanding. I have used several brands of printers, but feel Epson provides the best quality.

Original review: May 29, 2018

I like the Epson printer but the cost of ink is outrageous. No matter where you get it, it is almost 50.00, that is crazy. Also, it is easily jammed even when there is no paper. I enjoy the printers, but after they break they're worth nothing. You cannot even recycle the thing, it sits in the landfills.

Get expert buying tips about Printers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 28, 2018

The Epson printer I bought to replace my old one. I chose it because of the reasonable price but I found it to be more than what I expected. It is very easy to use... puts out quality printing and is an excellent printer for its price. Overall the best I've ever had. It also includes Wi-Fi which I always use now from my android phone. Very convenient for me.

Original review: May 28, 2018

Have had 2 Epson in the last 7 years & the only reason I got another one is that the older is out of date for the times... I buy the OEM ink off of eBay for quite a bit less than the original. Works on Android/Chrome/Anything Google can Scan to Cloud/Print from email. Lots & lots of options, always works great. The old one is in the closet still working as a backup.

Original review: May 27, 2018

Epson is the best printer that I have ever owned. I have had it for several years and have not had a problem with it. It is easy to use, printer is easy to load, it does not seem to use much ink. Cartridges are easy to change as well.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Epson?

Original review: May 4, 2019

Purchased another Epson printer. This is about the fourth one, and how about that, another total piece of junk. This time it was the XP-320. Ink continuously clogged and every time you clean the head it uses have the ink cartridge and the best part is, it still does not clean the head. I have taken it totally apart twice and manually cleaned the heads. Works for about a month and then - bam - stopped up again. This time I simply threw it out my second story window. Best part is, that did not even un-clog the print head. Do yourself two favors, 1, don't be as stupid as me, and 2, NEVER, let me say it again, NEVER buy an Epson Printer - of any style, make, or model - total waste of your time and money. The only reason I gave it 1 star is because I cannot give Epson a negative rating.

Original review: April 23, 2019

As a reseller I recommended this printer to my customer. Problems from day one, ADF would not pull documents straight and marks on plastic cover meant a streak would appear on output, this is a very common occurrence. The ink refill really appealed to me from a cost to run point of view. I've since switched to Canon and have been suitably impressed. My advise...stay away from the Epson L Series printers. Epson's excuses were poor and support limited and at sometimes they simply did not give a damn.

Original review: April 19, 2019

Not a good printer even by today's standards. Don't waste your money here. Beware. You get what you pay for. Spend a little more for quality. The quality of Epson and their demand that you must use their ink are the main problems.

Original review: March 23, 2019

Don't Buy Refurbished Epson Perfection V800. I bought it March 4th and received it 4 days later. Great shipping speed. Unfortunately the transparency unit was faulty. I called to obtain a replacement and they didn't have any in stock. Epson refused to issue a refund on Saturday without a call on Monday. After a followup call they agreed to refund my money. The scanner has been returned and the refund hasn't appeared. The website says they will send a comparable model if out of stock, but a V850 is not a comparable model. There is no comparable model.

I have never done a review before but am that unhappy with Epson. I had to redirect the package to a FedEx facility and drive to pick it up because it required a direct signature. I have spent hours driving to pick up the package, unpacking, installing drivers, connecting a faulty scanner, troubleshooting, calling customer service, having to go through a poorly trained tech support phone call, again talking to customer service who couldn't send me a replacement and refused a refund, calling again to be told I would receive a refund, print a shipping label, disconnect the scanner, repack the scanner with my supplies, drive the package back to FedEx, not receive my refund, ask for a comparable model and be told there isn't one.

I still wait for a refund two weeks after my phone call. If they stocked a replacement model, they were willing to send it immediately. Because they didn't I am still waiting for a refund. I have spent significant time and money receiving a defective product and negotiating a return of the product. I have a small business and I currently own 3 Epson scanners and 2 Epson printers. I have been a loyal Epson customer for over twenty years. I would never recommend Epson again and specifically would never buy a refurbished Epson product.

Original review: March 14, 2019

Epson not only shafted its customers with exorbitantly priced inks, we now have a problem with our ink pad. We have an xp365 printer which we have had for some time, and the only complaint until now is the cost of the inks. Now we have a sign up saying end of life of printer ink pad. According to Epson they can replace this for £118. We have found an Epson dealer who has replaced it for £30, and there were several others locally who would do it for the same price. Where do these printer manufacturers get off charging so much.

Original review: March 7, 2019

I paid $33.00 for extended use black ink cartridge, instructions say you must install immediately after removing the old. It took less than 5 minutes to install the new but it doesn't print anything. Yet the monitor shows that it is installed and full of ink. A lousy product and I am so sorry I purchased the Workforce 2750 -- what a wasted of money.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

I bought the XP-434 series printer over a year ago. I really wanted just a black and white printer but it was on sale, why not. I printed less than 20 pages when the black ink cartridge was depleted. I figured it was a factory cartridge, nice of them to include ink so no big deal. I bought a black cartridge. Even though I only use black ink in my printing, I printed less than ten pages and the yellow cartridge was empty, it was from the factory. The printer will not allow you to do anything until you replace the ink cartridge, not even scan to the computer. It stays on the need ink section until you fulfill its demands. A little upset since I just purchased black, I then purchased yellow.

Everything in order, a few pages later the black is empty again. I'm upset now. I decided to purchase the four pack and regardless of the amount they contained I placed all four cartridges in at the same time. All new, all installed at the same time, perfect. I printed 12 pages of test results, 6 of which were less than 1/4 of the page. 3 patterns of the outline of birds in various sizes, two outlines of circles with 32 numbers, in small print, a little skeleton pattern, an outline of a little birdhouse pattern and three colored pictures a 4x6, a 3x5, and a wallet size. I'm out of black ink. So do yourself a favor. Do not buy Epson printers as the ink doesn't last. It cost me near $40 for the four cartridges which I purchased on the 16th of February, that's ten days of usage, less than 35 printed pages. Imagine how many photos it prints out, no doubt only 5.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2019

Printer is good but cost of ink is unacceptable. Avoid! Avoid! And shop wisely when buying your next printer. I'm off to read reviews to help me decide which printer to buy. Listen to the people! I will base my decision not on initial cost of printer but after costs i.e. ink, quality and CUSTOMER SERVICE!

Original review: Feb. 24, 2019

My saga started about three years ago when I bought the predecessor to the WF4730. It didn't work properly from the beginning. I returned it to Best Buy and got the same model thinking the issues with the first purchase were just a fluke. I was wrong. The first issue was with the hard drive. With the second printer, there were lines in the color photos I printed. After spending an hour on the phone with Customer Service it was decided that, because it was still under warranty, they would send me a new printer and I would return the old one. Awesome. New one came, sent old one back. New one worked for about two months then the same lines-in-photos issue popped up. More time with Customer Service. They were unable to resolve the problem but because I was still under warranty, a new printer was sent, old one returned.

At this point, I am now on printer number four. Unbelievably, the same issue returned. This time, I told Customer Service I didn't want the same model. They sent me the updated model which was the WF4730. The new printer arrived and worked well for several months. I was encouraged...but not for long. It stopped scanning. Scanned like a champ one day; next day, not so much. I called Customer Service, now on speed dial on my phone, and explained the situation to the rep. His solution was that I take the printer to the closest Epson repair shop about 25 miles from my home and I would be responsible for the cost of the repairs. I asked about the warranty. He informed me the warranty had expired. The three years was up. I explained that the printer I was currently having problems with was nearly brand new. He checked and said yes, it wasn't even a year old.

The problem was that the warranty from the piece of crap printer I had initially had expired. I told him I understood that but that THIS printer is less than a year old and the warranty should still be in place. Well yes and no. My warranty was from the first printer from three years back. I said, "So let me confirm this. You sent me a brand new printer to replace the fourth in a series of crappy printers and even though it's less than a year old, you will not honor the warranty. Is that correct?" He tried to give me the, "I am sorry for the inconvenience... I understand your frustration... I appreciate your frustration..." speeches when I finally said, "It's a simple yes or no question: Will you honor the warranty or no?" His response was no at which point I hung up.

Absolutely not worth it for me to drive 25 miles to get this stupid thing repaired (and pay for the repairs) when I have absolutely no doubt whatsoever that something else will go wrong. I appreciate that Epson was willing to send me replacement printers however it's absolutely ridiculous that I should have FIVE printers in less than three years and every single one of them had issues. I am so over Epson. I purchased a new HP Envy Photo 7855 and I love it. It's about half the size of the HUGE Epsons and does everything the Epsons did. Only it does it better because it works! If I were to win free Epson printers for the rest of my life, I would politely decline. I will not purchase nor will I recommend an Epson product. Ever.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

My last order from Epson included a High-Capacity Black Ink Cartridge that was almost expired. When I called to ask if I could have a replacement, I was refused. I was told that all High-Capacity Black Ink Cartridges in the warehouse were from the same batch, so a replacement would be comparably aged. And, I could, indeed, send my cartridge back for a credit, but I would have to pay for the shipping. Wouldn't you think that ordering directly from the manufacturer would provide the newest, freshest product? Next time I'll go to Staples.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

Two problems with this Workforce 3-in-1. First off, I ALWAYS select 'black ink only' on the computer and 'black and white' directly on the printer. So why do all three colour cartridges empty so much sooner than the black? And I do mean waaay sooner. Almost as if it's not using any black ink at all but using ONLY the colour inks to make black. And then when I switch out the supposedly empty cartridges after much fewer than the 100s of printed pages they advertise, they feel and sound half full still! I can't even begin to estimate how much ink I've gotten rid off in these 'empty' cartridges.

This is ridiculous. I've been scammed and they know it. And on top of all that, the printer doesn't work unless you replace the cartridges, and you can't just put black in all four spots. No choice but to buy more and more ink. Did I already mention I've been scammed? I don't know about their other printers or other products and I don't care - DO NOT buy Epson.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

2 yrs ago we purchased the Epson printer. The second time printing on it, I was alerted that the ink was low. So I just figured ok, bad box. I went out and purchased new ink. NOT CHEAP BY THE WAY. Used it a few times (3 to be exact) printing out no more than 20 pages, and I again am given an alert that the black and one of the colored ones was low. So I replaced those 2. Called customer services and was put on hold for 15 min. just to get hung up on. So we stopped using the printer and would go to our neighbors when needing to print something out.

My kid needed to print something for a project. Get all new ink. He prints out 2 pages (in all black) and I am told it is all out of ink. Even with the color cartridges FULL it would not print anything out. I call customer service, for 20 min I am on hold, someone answers and puts me on hold again. I eventually had to hang up after 30 min... I would never purchase an Epson product again, nor would I ever recommend such a terrible product either.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

I spent $400 on a "good" printer for my family. Within a year, I had to spend countless hours troubleshooting over the phone before Epson agreed to send me a refurbished replacement. Refurbished model doesn't work either. After ANOTHER call and more troubleshooting, still no success. I have just spent over an hour on the phone, refusing to do any more troubleshooting to be told that it is no longer under warranty. Of course not, I've spent TWO YEARS and MANY hours trying to get a working printer from Epson! Never ever again. My children's education requires dependable products for success.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

Most of us know, inkjets clog without regular use... But why? Why not program the printer to detect when it has not been in use and the proper functioning of the machine is in peril? Epson includes an Eco Mode which is great should you not remember to turn the printer off every night to conserve energy which summons the question, why not program the printer to wake itself up from Eco Mode and print a couple of test pages to prevent it from clogging? It is important to know that the head cleaning feature is hit and miss and each procedure blows approx. $10.00 worth of ink. Not to mention the disruption in workflow and frustration of a technical issue. I see two reasons, either they haven't thought of it, or they have and keep the printer functioning this way to promote ink sales. I hope the first is true for this could be remedied, if not, ouch, I will never purchase another Epson product again knowing that a company would do this.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

This printer cost way too much to be such a DUD. Epson needs to relentlessly test their products before allowing the public to discover they wasted their money on a product made for the garbage heap! At one time I thought Epson constructed excellent printers. Whoever designed WF-4734 should be relieved of his/her position along with the person who OKed this product!

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

Having same issues as other people, going through ink like crazy and only printing a few times. I bought ink from Walmart and on the box it says Workforce 310 and my printer is a 310, well I'm thinking I can use it in my printer - wrong. It won't fit, so I took it back and beings I opened it Walmart will not give me a refund and it's a box of four cartridges $$$. So I called Epson and got the run around of why they won't refund it because I didn't buy it from them! I feel like they are a scam and my printer's going in the trash and never again will I buy another Epson product.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

I bought this printer when I opened my small business three months ago. From the jump, it did not do as advertised, couldn't scan to my computer, couldn't connect wirelessly, would not fax, basically I could only copy and print, when I connected to the printer with a USB cable. I've called the tech support like five times and every time they tell me different things, but it boils down to "Your wifi is incompatible with our product." Since I get my wifi from the building that I lease space from, I cannot change or control that at all, so this printer is a very expensive piece of junk that is useless to me. I'm currently on hold now, pushing on three hours, trying to find someone who will give me a refund for this defective product so I can purchase a piece of equipment that I can actually use. I will never use an Epson product again.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

The printer seems to be set up to cost the user/owner A LOT of money on ink. Additionally, it just stopped working all together after two years. Even after software updates and driver updates the printer just stopped working!

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

Have had issues with printing and Epson says it was due to other brand of cartridge. Bought Epson cartridges at Office Depot for over one hundred dollars! Performed maintenance task per Epson support. Made 2 black copies. Now two cartridges say low ink. WTF! You have to be joking! I wasted more money on ink than a new printer cost! Total fraudulent company and product!

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

Never again do I want to support or buy your products again. My Mother bought an Epson printer with an error code 10016 that appeared on December 2018. Now the printer is useless and there is no value in the thing. My Mother and I can't even trade in the ink cartridges for a little cash. It is no wonder why you all are not mentioned. Not only does your customer service tank, but your warranty is an absolute disappointment. This is the 3rd-4th Epson printer that we bought and it didn't even last less than 5 years. I know you all are reading this and you all probably don't care about what we want. So good luck to you all but trust me. I will NEVER buy another Epson product EVER again. Happy early 2019!

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

I purchased the WF 2760 new from Best Buy. After printing nine pages in black ink the printer stopped and demanded I replace the black ink cartridge. I went back to Best Buy and they were sold out of the black ink cartridge I needed. I went back to my office and ordered the ink from Amazon. I installed the ink. Now after 3 copies it again demanded I replace the blank ink cartridge. Epson is running a scam to sell ink. It is clear that there are others offended by this scam. On top of the purchase price, the time, money and huge inconvenience merits punitive damages to be paid by Epson. This is similar to the Volkswagen scam. If you have any information on a class action lawsuit against Epson I would gladly join.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

Last printer cartridge order (their fault) but requiring me to wait 72 hours to investigate. It’s been over 2 weeks since order placed, and with New Years, another week will go by. Instead of reissuing the order and keeping a customer happy, they’d rather screw around, inconvenience a customer over a few dollars worth of ink. When I’m done with these cartridges I’m trashing all 4 of my Epson printers and replacing with HPs.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

This printer worked very well for a short while. Then started going through ink cartridges like crazy! I very seldom make color prints, yet the color cartridges keep "running out." And it won't allow me to print only black if any of the color cartridges are low. Very frustrating and expensive dance! I hope they fixed this issue on subsequent models! But I probably won't try them. Going to another brand. Sorry Epson!

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

I've had this printer less than 6 months. I very, very, very rarely print. When I do print, it is in draft mode, grayscale. I NEVER print in color. Still, I've had to replace ALL of the cartridges twice. I'd love to find out that I am doing something wrong. Also went through EPSON's step by step in selecting new ink. Their guide instructed me to buy the wrong ink. They said I could return the unopened boxes but not the opened box even though I didn't open the cartridge. They also said I would only get a percentage returned. After a Windows Update "Can't communicate" message that prevents me from using the printer menu. I need to go through the Epson application to scan. I can't just click the Scan button on the printer. I thought I did my homework before buying this. Wrong. I HATE, HATE, HATE this printer.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

I bought this Epson XP-430 printer a few years ago, an all-in-one. It was so very gently used. I have taken great care of it. Now, all it wants to do is print in pink. All it is good for now is scanning. I plan on throwing it in the dumpster and researching other brands.

Epson expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Epson, formally known as Seiko Epson Corporation, is a Japanese technology company known for producing high-quality printers. The company, which is headquartered in Shinjuku, was founded in 1942.

• Professional and amateur grade: Epson sells both professional imaging devices and amateur-grade printers, so it's a good option for a wide range of consumers.

• Award winning: Epson printers have won a slew of awards from places like PCMag.com, Computer Shopper, CRN and more.

• One-stop shop: Epson sells its own ink, paper and other accessories, so it's a convenient place for a shopper to buy all the necessary printing supplies at once.

• Specialized printers: Since Epson is a printing focused company, they offer more specialized printers than many other companies. One of the most popular specialized printers sold by Epson is its suite of label printers.

• Excellent all-in-one printers: The company is known for creating a line of high-quality all-in-one devices, and many of their devices can print, scan, fax and more.

• Best for: Large offices, homeowners with computers, photographers, students and schools.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs