Epson

Compare Printers

Research top Printers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Their site was awful! No way to contact CS except by writing a letter, really? If I don't use my printer frequently, it will not print and you have to clean the printer heads which means you have to spend the money on cartridges, which are so costly you might as well buy a new printer.

Epson XP 630 scanner printer - Black ink tanks shut down when there is around 25% left. Ridiculous. Not wanting to pay their extorted prices for everyday print chores I get some aftermarket tank replacements. That's what I make the discovery that no matter what you do none of the little tricks work anymore to make it recognize the printer cartridges. Their self destructing microchip makes using any other brand impossible and I could see no reason workaround and I did hours of searching. So you are stuck. Either buy their insanely priced cartridges or just throwing this trash away which is what I'm gonna do because I refuse to be robbed by these criminals. NEVER, EVER AGAIN EPSON.

XP 410 All in one - I've owned my printer for about a year and suddenly the black doesn't print. This began after an Epson software update. I called Epson Tech Support, followed their instructions, and it still doesn't work. I asked the woman at Epson if she was aware that this is a common problem and she said she was aware. I have new Epson ink cartridges as some were empty. The black was about half full but I replaced it anyway to see if it would help. It had no effect.

I am Karthik. Past two days I was try to installed the Epson label printer. Some label problem. So many time I try to customer help line. Take one person... give another number... that person give another number... continuously repeated. Not solve my problem. Worst worst performance.

Epson printer workforce 2630 - Don't buy this printer. Worked on it for hours to set up. Just bought for my son as a Christmas present. Quality of print is very poor. Ran out of black ink after 40 or so pages. Replaced that cartridge. Kept getting message that the printer did not recognize the new cartridge. When I finally got it to print, the quality remained poor.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Epson?

Workforce XP-610 Printer - I have spent so much money on ink for this printer. I bought ink about 2 months and have probably printed 10 photos since then. It is now out of ink again and will not print. This printer is becoming the most expensive item in our house. It may be time to pitch it.

The printer will not allow you to print in black and white if a color cartridge runs out. They are running a big game forcing people to buy ink they don't need. I spoke to two different people at Epson, was told that MAGENTA is needed to print in black, and was then put on hold for over half an hour waiting to speak to a Supervisor who (surprise surprise) never came to the phone. I will never buy an Epson printer again, nor will I ever recommend them to anyone else.

I purchased my first Epson XP-320 for a low clearance price and was bragging to everyone that I barely had to pay for it and I got the deal of deals however within a few days it was not working correctly so I called Epson and they walked me thru an endless amount of different tests to fix it over the phone but the majority of the time was spent just trying to understand the tech guy because he barely could speak English well. The end result was it was not repairable. Customer Service to their credit was easy to deal with and they would send me another printer. I was happy another one was being shipped right away even though I needed the printer for copying resumes for a job search. They did not want the broken one back so I saved it for parts I may need later and the left over ink that I had not used yet.

The new one arrived and I was back in business excited to print my own resumes again saving money from paying someone else to print them. I had probably copied less than 100 resumes and was getting low ink warnings for the black ink and then the printer started copying in super slow motion and I thought this replacement printer was broken also. It wasn't broken it was empty of black ink already! I thought it was just a fluke so instead of using the other broken printer's ink my landlady offered to buy me some more ink because she needed a few copies made so we went to the store, found the ink which was not as expensive as I thought it would be so I was feeling good again about Epson and that it was just bad luck that these issues happened to me. Got home, replaced the black ink cartridge, no problem with that and I was back in business again YIPPEE!!!

I am happy even confident the worst is behind me. My resumes now printed from my almost free Epson printer that would save me money from having to pay someone else for copies. I could print endless copies of important documents so off I went to copying once again. Well funny thing happened during my moment of elation, I copied less than 100 sheets of paper and the black ink started warning me AGAIN that it was almost empty! I started to panic because I was on a limited budget and wondered if I got ripped off and was caught in a money pit for buying replacement ink. If I needed more resumes could I even afford printing them but some good luck happened.

Finally I found a new job and forgot about the printer putting it in my closet along with the broken one until today when I once again needed to make resume copies for yes finding another job, no I am not a loser but I am the Born Loser because I have the worst luck of anyone on this planet especially with printers! So I once again got the printer out of the box and took the remaining ink from the broken one, got about 100 copies done when the black ink starts to warn me it's almost empty but this time I was already expecting that and at least I know what the real problem is...Epson and their ink racket they have. I do like the printer and the features but not the hassle and high ink cost to replace the cartridges so I am going to figure out a way to refill the ink myself with the empty cartridges.

Wait I have a better idea. I am in need of a good job so I am going to be a mobile ink refill truck and take away Epson's profits with a more reasonable price for ink refills with home and business service. I think I will call my new business "Rinkadinky" my first name being Ray with ink in the name twice and the subliminal message of how this experience describes the Epson overall product "rinkadink" or cheap.

To start with the good part, unlike other reviews I've read, I have not had any problems with hooking this printer up with our WiFi. It disconnects sometimes and I've had to reconnect it, but it usually goes pretty smoothly. I have never had to call customer support either so I have nothing negative to say about that either. The bad part is of course the ink usage. I have to constantly replace the ink so this printer, as inexpensive it may have seemed when I purchased it, is very expensive because of all the ink cartridges I've had to replace.

And if it's turned off for a day, the print heads gets clogged and it has to be cleaned several times before it prints correctly again. Today I had to do the print head cleaning 4 times before it started to print the yellow again. Another part that I don't like is that when I have to reconnect it to WiFi and type in my password, I have to push each button 7 times before it comes to the number. For example if I need to press 2 it goes through A, a, B, b, C, c before it finally reaches the number 2. Maybe there is a way to change it that I'm not aware of.

We bought the 2630 about six months ago. Initially it worked well. But for the past two months or so the printer is always demanding ink. This week we installed black and magenta cartridges. When I sat down today to print Christmas cards, the printer told me both M and B are low! This has occurred with all colors. I get a msg that colors can be combined to print - but I do not want to send out black Christmas cards. I can't afford to keep spoon-feeding this printer. Maintenance option to clean the print head does not fix the problem. I also get a msg that I am not using Epson cartridges when I certainly am and yet another msg that says the cartridge is empty when it is newly installed. Someone please suggest a reliable printer for a home office. Thank you!

I purchased an Epson for supposedly better photo quality. First, it took about two weeks to connect it wirelessly... marginal customer service. Second, it worked well a few months, maybe 100 sheets of paper. Then it said I needed magenta ink. So I ordered, directly from Epson, a Multipack Plus, two additional black cartridges. After installation, it still said I needed to replace the magenta. Several hours of wasted time with their "service reps" was aggravating and unfruitful, not to mention language barriers. So they offered to send me a new magenta cartridge. Mind you I had already purchased a new one that failed. So today I replaced ALL the cartridges and the machines says I need to replace ALL THE CARTRIDGES STILL! I agree. This thing is temperamental junk and I will toss it like so many others have. HP has always been reliable and I will purchase a new one today.

After less than a year using this printer and having to buy ink cartridges seemingly every 2 months (I have very low usage requirements), I am ready to get a new printer. I've just ordered another set of cartridges over $40.00 worth. Once I go through these I will donate this printer to trash. By far the worst printer I've ever owned, in terms of ink usage.

Bought a new WF-2650. Within a year it no longer prints due to "ink cartridge not recognized." Bought new cartridge and problem continues. Ended up throwing it in the trash after hours and hours of automatic nozzle cleaning. Bought another new WF-2650 and after 4 months having the same problems. How many DECADES has Epson been making printers? And they STILL have not decided to build reliability into their printers? Do "I" have to tell Epson that reliability is part of the testing and design work? NO, Epson. I don't want explanations about drying ink and running nozzle cleaning cycles. I want a printer designed to handle (or eliminate) the problems and keep on printing. I'm heading out to purchase ANOTHER printer today... and it WILL NOT be an Epson.

I literally tossed my Epson WorkForce printer into the garbage. It sucked ink like crazy. Every time I went to print it said I needed ink. I had this printer for about 1 year. I don't do a lot of printing either, but when I do I want the printer to work. In about a year I did not even go through 1/2 a ream of paper with this thing, but I did wind up buying a lot of ink! With almost every sheet printed you could watch the ink deplete. As a test I replaced the Magenta cartridge and printed out 5 sheets. It indicated that I had used HALF the magenta cartridge already and that is when I decided right there and then to dump it! Additionally I could not find any economy or draft settings to use. This is totally unacceptable! After reading about all the complaints of Epson printers, I believe them.

I purchased an HP Envy and just tossed the Epson into the trash can. Now I see that Epson has come out with their "EcoTank" printers, but the damage is done. Epson made a conscious decision to hose the consumer with their ink-wasters so I'm done with them for good. I don't care what the product is, I will always remember Epson's skullduggery regarding ink management!

I have purchased two WF-4630 Epson printers five months ago. After used one of them to print about 400 pages, started print out blank pages! When I called the customer support about this issue, they said that print head cleaning needs to be performed to fix this issue, so I purchased two Epson ink cartridges for $226.82. After many head cleaning, cleaning consumed my two brand new ink cartridges without fixing my issue!

I asked the tech guy I was talking to over the phone: "I just wasted $226.82 to follow your troubleshooting trying to fix this issue! and I want you to send me two ink cartridges instead of the two that I already consumed based on your troubleshooting!" He said "sorry I can't do this and this is the way we troubleshoot regardless of your loss!!" This product worth nothing. $600.00 for two printers and $226.00 of ink just went to the garbage without fixing the blank page print out!! How many hundreds of dollars need to spend to fix an issue for a printer that cost $300.00?

I had brought epson L 360 printer on 16-06-16. Within 6 month up to 17-11-16, I consumed approx 2.5 liter epson ink (i.e. 43.2 bottle of 70ml epson T664 ink) for my book's 64000 prints. Now Epson head is self destructed. Epson claims in its advertised that its microPizzo head is durable and permanent. But my experience say that, "Epson head is neither durable nor permanent. It is self destruct after 2.5 liter ink firing. Because it life is calculated by me as 128 billion droplet or impulse/22pl droplet size = 2.944 lit. ink firing. After it is self destructed. And it cost is too high (Service center cost is INR Rs. 5000 which is half of printer cost).

So epson claim of high durable, high Volume chief printing cost printer is false as per my experience. Because my printing cost is 1. Printer cost per page = INR Rs.12000/64000 pages = 0.187 per page + Ink cost 0.25 per page + head cost 0.10 per page => TOTAL PRINTING COST = approx. 50 per page (paper cost extra.). So don't buy printer as per epson claims. Epson claims are totally false.

This printer worked sufficiently for approximately 2 months. It uses an excessive amount of ink, which I can live with. After about 3-4 months it completely stopped printing, COMPLETELY. It goes through the motions but produces nothing. I have done all the normal maintenance procedures, head cleaning/alignment, change ink (large waste of $), and even performed set up again. NOTHING. Believe the bad reviews concerning this printer. I thought I would save a few bucks and ignore the reviews. Spend the extra $ and get an HP or something. This is a horrific printer. Gave one star because I could not submit with 0.

As normal, my computer prompted me to purchase more ink. However, when I got past the shipping information, the website said that the page can no longer be found. I tried going in several different ways, but the page to purchase ink is always unavailable, even though the website is still up and running. Are they doing maintenance?? I tried to call them, but the website lied about Saturday hours. I sent an email but got a reply stating that my email was considered spam. All I want to do is buy some ink and not pay Staples for the crazy prices it charges. Help!

I have spent over 33 hours with tech support trying to get help communicating with my Epson WF 4640. I have uninstalled software 10 times and have been told three different ways to scan. This is how I have to scan now. See my YouTube video **. I should have read the reviews regarding Epson. Epson you SUCK!!!

I am giving up! I have no idea how to set up the wireless connection for the Epson et-2500 printer. I returned another Epson printer because of the same reason, but the shop man convinced me this one would be easy to set up. Easy? No way! I am not an engineer, I will give Epson that, but I am quite savvy when it comes to it, but setting the wireless connection up on this printer is impossible. Just alone the guides, where are they, which one should I used. I found a network guide. It is 36 pages long... 36 pages long. It is full of technical talk that I have no idea about. No images, if only a few. No Windows 10 guides. NO help... I am returning this expensive Epson et-2500 printer now. Get a HP or a Brother where the setup is so EASY that my child at 9 has done it. Here is an idea. YouTube videos... Video guides showing how to do it. Welcome to 2016 and customer service.

A little over a week ago, I received in the mail Epson's new catalogue "Introducing the Epson Surecolor P-Series." The advertised price of the P800 printer is $845 after rebates. I called to order and the sales rep quoted me a price of $995 after rebates. When I referred to the catalogue, she said she knew nothing about the catalogue but could sell me the printer at $895 in conjunction with my buying a service plan. She also said there was no one higher up I could speak with; then told me the P800 was out of stock.

I contacted Customer Service at a slightly different number and was told that the rep knew nothing about the catalogue and that I would have to email images of the catalogue, which I did. A rep called back and told me that that price was available only through authorized dealers, even though the catalogue doesn't state that and actually says that buying through an authorized dealer could result in additional charges. When I mentioned this, the rep said she would have to get back to me. No one has contacted me yet. I wonder if anyone has had the same experience -- frankly I am thinking of starting a class action against Epson.

I am on my third Epson printer. My last printer, a WF 2650, worked great out of the box despite a few Wi-Fi connection issues. It printed well until about a month ago when it started not printing out yellow. I replaced the cartridge, which did not help. It continued to print my labels, but the colors were off. Yesterday I was doing some printing in black only, and it ran out of magenta, creating poor quality prints. I replaced the cartridge and then it would not print at all. After several head cleanings, the only color that shows up on test prints is cyan.

I called the company and they said the technician, whom I could barely understand due to his poor English, was quite rude and unhelpful, and said that my printer's problem was not fixable, and offered to send me a new printer, at an increased cost. I have only had this printer a year, and it is the third Epson printer I've had and experienced the same issue with. My other two printers lasted for longer than a year though before they stopped printing certain colors or at all. I am very dissatisfied with Epson's poor quality products and service. I did fill out the warranty papers but was told that my printer was already out of warranty. I am now wondering if all printers eventually clog up and quit printing after a year or so.

This printer is absolutely the most unreliable unit ever owned. Can't imagine how much ink is wasted by all the dirty printing. I've never used anything but Epson Ink Cartridges but am constantly disappointed having to run cleaning and maintenance so often, nothing like the dependability of my previous HP printers. Staples, from whom I purchased the printer, never has Epson Cartridges discounted as they do with HP ink. Just FYI.

Workforce 3640 Printer - All of the Office Max Reps hemmed and hawed about this machine and it was great for about 7 months then ** printing, ran all of the cleaning and maintenance utilities, still lousy printing. This really makes me mad. Especially running a small business on a budget this is the last thing you need.

Epson XP-410 - As with countless others, DO NOT BUY THIS PRINTER! Nothing but problems. Yes there are solutions online but who has an hour to devote to trying to fix something that should just simply work? No use reiterating all that has been said already. Suffice to say I have most of the same issues described in this forum. Piece of junk. Terrible waste of money!!

Epson 610 - I'm a photographer and needed a printer that would give me quality photos. I heard this was a good printer for photos but I quickly found out this product leaves a lot to be desired. The scanner was used maybe 5 times and no longer works. It leaves an entire side of any document I scan in completely black. I also noticed my photo colors are now very off. My biggest complaint is the price of the ink and the fact that you can't just replace ONE cartridge when it runs out. It makes me replace all of them. If I only want to print black but the yellow is out, I have to replace the yellow before using the printer. This is just a way to get customers to buy more ink and waste money. I absolutely hate this printer and will definitely be buying a new one soon.

I used the Epson WF-4630 for the first time 4/15/2015 and since then I have printed less than 4000 pages. My printer then started to print extremely poorly. I tried cleaning the heads and re-aligning to no avail. I called customer service and they had me put new ink cartridges in (that cost me over $100). They tried cleaning the heads four times, each time the problem was as bad if not worse than it was before. They then told me that it was a hardware issue and that because the printer was out of warranty there was nothing they could do. They would not reimburse me for the ink nor replace or fix their printer.

I spoke with a supervisor and he apologized for the "inconvenience". It is not an inconvenience when their product doesn't work and I waste money on new ink cartridges. It is poor product design, that may be designed intentionally to break down after a year, and poor customer service. I will never buy or recommend buying an Epson printer ever again. They have lost a customer for life.

This thing prints like it's almost out of ink even though it has 1 and 1/4 cartridges of black ink. Never has printed reliably. I will never ever buy an Epson again. No wonder the Best Buy people were trying so hard to push them off on customers. They knew they sucked. I should have gotten a Brother like I planned. Our office Brother is 10 years older than this POS and has used half as much ink, easy. If you're thinking of buying one, please save yourself the agony and DO NOT BUY!! Repeat: DO NOT BUY AN EPSON!

I am totally disgusted with having to buy ink all the time! Bought a new printer last week and it is demanding ink already. My last printer did the same and I was told it was because it was an old printer. Both are Epson. Bought my cartridges from epson too.

The printer holds 6 colors. When one runs out you can not printer... Until new one arrives. I only need to print in black. Crazy. I will not buy another Epson printer.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Epson, formally known as Seiko Epson Corporation, is a Japanese technology company known for producing high-quality printers. The company, which is headquartered in Shinjuku, was founded in 1942.

• Professional and amateur grade: Epson sells both professional imaging devices and amateur-grade printers, so it's a good option for a wide range of consumers.
  • Award winning: Epson printers have won a slew of awards from places like PCMag.com, Computer Shopper, CRN and more.
  • One-stop shop: Epson sells its own ink, paper and other accessories, so it's a convenient place for a shopper to buy all the necessary printing supplies at once.
  • Specialized printers: Since Epson is a printing focused company, they offer more specialized printers than many other companies. One of the most popular specialized printers sold by Epson is its suite of label printers.
  • Excellent all-in-one printers: The company is known for creating a line of high-quality all-in-one devices, and many of their devices can print, scan, fax and more.
  • Best for Large offices, homeowners with computers, photographers, students and schools.

Compare Printers