Epson

Compare Printers

Research top Printers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I had a little problem with tech support. I received a call from a customer service rep. She apologized and made arrangements for me to receive a new printer and to return the old one. The new one came right on time and I had it up and running in under 10 minutes. I can't say enough about the great response I received from their rep. They really care about their customers.

Work Force 3640 Printers - I have had mine for only about 4 months with less than 250 pages copied or printed. The paper feeder will now only pull from the R side so it pulls paper in at an angle and jams the machine. Restarting it over and over per the screen directions does nothing to fix it. These things are very lightweight, cheaply made machines and unfortunately the working parts must be very cheap and lightweight also, to go bad so quickly. Who cares about warranty when you have to buy another printer while you wait 10-14 days or more to get it back from warranty repair. Maybe Epson's larger business machines are better quality but this unit, a mid-priced unit for home use, is basically disposable garbage.

I own an XP-400 and this machine eats ink so inconsistently. I literally replaced the black ink cartridge and in two day I need to replace it? Less than 200 sheets were printed! This machine is a money pit. Do not buy it!

This is the last Epson printer (after years and years) I will buy. The menu to change ink carts seems to change each time they update the software and continues to lead me in circles until, seemingly by accident, I press the right button. "Just because you can do it doesn't mean you should do it" seems to be especially applicable, and the Epson website doesn't seem to offer a way to ask for help or complain to the corporation. I've had it.

I have been dealing with Epson for approximately six months. I purchased an Epson Printer Online. I have had five Epson Printers shipped to me. Every printer failed. Epson Technical Support refuses to answer the phone. They put a two hundred fifty dollar hold on my Debit Card. Now I am stuck with all these broken printers.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Epson?

I purchased ink for my new Epson XP-960 Printer on 5/13/2017 via Amazon. After waiting over a month for my ink, on 6/16/2017 I get an e-mail saying that the ink has again been delayed for possibly another month. Obviously not happy, I called Epson about 3 different times & got transferred to about 6 different people. Someone tells me that Epson Customer Relations will resolve this issue for me. I speak to the customer relations rep who tells me there's nothing he can do & they're working as fast as they can. He basically tells me that I'll get it in the near future. I now have a relatively new printer that I have not been able to use for over a month because Epson ran out of ink! This is both shocking & unacceptable.

I bought an Epson WF7620 all-in-one about 18 months ago. At first, I was very happy with the device. It did everything it was supposed to. I had no problems with WiFi, printing, copying, scanning, ADF, etc. Then after about 18 months I started to get smeared lines in the printouts. I tried all of the "fixes" recommended by the EPSON in the troubleshooting section of the users manual. Nothing succeeded in fixing it. I aligned heads, I cleaned heads, I disabled "fast print", etc. I went online to find out if anyone in the world had managed to find a workaround or a fix. It was at that point that I noticed a large number of complaints from owners about the same problem. People wrote that they struggled frustratingly with Epson to rectify the problem with no success.

Many people have had multiple printers replaced by Epson. This is apparently a case of the company knowing that the product had major problem but they never managed to correct it. A principal application for me is to print out leases. My tenants have this quirky desire to be able to read the document that they're signing, so in my case the printouts need to be completely legible. This printer does not print legible copies. So when you read a review online that says that this printer is garbage, you better believe it. This printer prints multiple lines per page that are smeared to the point where they are not legible. In spite of the fact that everything else on the all-in-one work fine, it is still useless to me. I'm going to get rid of it. Don't buy this printer.

This printer is an ink hog, and if one of the color cartridges runs out, it will not print in black and white! Left me in a huge bind when I had to print important documents. Also, it smears and streaks and is just generally a sub-par printer. Connection issues abound as well. Pretty much functionally useless! And no help from support - they say it was designed to not print in black and white if color cartridge was out! Worst printer ever!

WF-2630 ruins Epson's reputation. Almost on cue after the one-year warranty was over I was prompted for yet another firmware update which made the printer useless. First it claimed the genuine Epson black cartridge wasn't recognized and wouldn't print at all. Next after replacing the black cartridge it was quite possibly the worst printing I've ever seen a printer deliver. Obviously now there was a problem with the black print head. I tried cleaning repeatedly which afterwards I read often compounds the problem. I'm trying to figure out a solution and it dawns on me that it isn't me who should have the solution but Epson. Apparently Epson and I beg to differ. I thought I try one more new black cartridge and, horror of horrors, I just wasted that money as it actually seemed to make it worse. This printer is a total fail. Epson has put out one product that will do more to discourage me (as well as others which I can see) from ever buying an Epson again.

Just in two weeks it just stop working. I took it back to Walmart for them to offer me $13 dollars refund for this piece of junk. I simply refuse to ever buy from Epson again. Won't buy Workforce 610 XP-434 or anything that is related with Epson. What a piece of **.

I use Epson for 5 years for my business and this is the first time only problem we got. They said they have 1 year warranty but they don't accept it when we ask for repair and they keep saying our fax tone have problem. And I did call our ISP (and they already know it for the fax) and the ISP say that the fax have problem (it really is because I can use other machine to connect to the line without problem just this fax). Then now they told me to call again to my ISP. Now I got so mad because of this. NEVER BUY FROM THEM AGAIN.

Epson WF-7110 - Besides being much bulkier than I thought, WHEN it decides it wants to print, the quality is great. I hit print, it starts, stops, thinks awhile, sometimes it cancels the print, sometimes it prints. Just purchased in March 2017. It can't do a firmware update because 'it' downgraded itself so it can't be updated. Have tried all the things 'support' would have me do, shut it off, unplug it, uninstall, reinstall. No difference. Eats a lot of ink. Will NOT buy another one.

Epson WF 2650 - This thing eats ink cartridges! I put new ones in and after less than ~75 black and white copies it requires a new cartridge. The color is even worse. I do very little color printing yet this thing is always asking for new color cartridges. Yesterday it said I needed a black cartridge - and at the same time it said it needed a magenta cartridge. This whole thing has to be a scam on Epson's part to sell cartridges. I'm hoping to pursue this through the Federal Government agency that deals with unfair business practices. Anyone for a class action suit?

Purchased Ink cartridge for 3880 with manufacturing deficit. Epson phone bank employee: 1) Never said any form of "Sorry," 2) did not understand what I told him without my repeating it four or five times, 3) could not find my part in his system even though it is an extremely common one, 4) put me on hold for-ev-er, 5) would not respond to simple questions without intense cajoling, 5) seemed over all to have intelligence on par with a common lawn robin. What a nightmare... and I was calling and sending photos to help them locate THEIR problem!

I want to first start off with, if you're thinking about buying an Epson printer DO NOT, if you have then welcome to the club. I have an Epson XP-424 and it is hands down the worst printer I have ever had. I guess you get what you pay for, I think I bought the printer for $49... But I've had other cheap printers that have never gave me this much trouble. Now to make this review useful, I cannot for the life of me get the printer to print a nice clean page. I have cleaned the heads and did the alignment, but STILL nothing. It's not like the alignment part should be difficult, it goes in steps - each step the same.

Ok, so I do this... I print and what does my page look like? Still it is missing lines and words are missing, so maybe I did this wrong. NO I repeat EVERYTHING, clean heads and align because just maybe I didn't pick the right number. So to make a long story short, I do this 4-5 times and still it makes no difference and now I've wasted time, ink, and paper trying to get this piece of crap printer to print clearly.

Less than 8 months old Epson XP430 printer. Eats ink cartridges like a hungry dog. Will not print black with a new black cartridge. Wants a new black and one new color. Fixed the problem. Took it to the garage. One blow with a 8 pound sledge and frustration with this pile of you know whatever. Returning box of parts to Best Buy tomorrow.

I have come to the end of my level of tolerance for the Epson company. I have bought three printers from them in a year based on the reviews I read, however my experience has been extremely unsatisfied. Each printer I bought eventually stopped working after the error message I received when I went to change the ink. The message says "Cannot recognize the following ink cartridges". The same message has appeared on all three of my Epson printers every time I have changed the ink. I have only used Epson brand ink. I called customer support and their solution was that they would send me a new cartridge in 3-5 days. It's incredible to me that a company this large, which has had this many complaints with the same issue has no other solutions. I will never buy an Epson product again, and will inform other of Epson's extremely poor quality.

I purchase my Epson XP 400 color printer scanner photocopier. I've had problems with driver downloads and consistent problems with ink drying up within weeks. The printer will not function if any of the cartridges are out of ink and you have to buy four cartridges at a time and they don't last but maybe five to six weeks even when the printer is not being used. They should be recalled. Very problematic since the day I bought it new at Best Buy.

I have never written a review before, but I have 2 Epson printers (WF-7620 & XP-430) that have become essentially paperweights after very little printing. (Both under 3 months of use). The WF-7620 was to be my main multi-document scanner/11x17 color printer for my home business. The print head became clogged after the 1st set of ink cartridges. After many attempts to clear the clog and a few very expensive ink cartridges, the printer will never print again without replacing the printing head; which is almost as expensive as a new printer; and that is if I do all the work myself.

Now, the XP-430 has suffered the same fate. I bought a black ink cartridge and replaced the original. Now the printer does not print anything that needs black. Cleaning the nozzles only made things worse. I have had it with these Epson printers. In my 30 years of professionally dealing with printers and ink, I have never experienced a more easily clogged, low grade, insufficient printing experience ever. I promise to never purchase anything from Epson again and cannot believe they would let the public purchase such poor quality.

I never thought I would be writing a bad review for Epson WF-2750. I have been a loyal Epson user for over 2 decades. This printer is a piece of junk. I haven't got a single acceptable print or copy out of it. Even from day 1. B&W printing was only just passable but seemed to suck colors anyway. Color printing was horrible from the beginning. Banding. I tried everything. Cleaning the print heads, buying new cartridges, etc... Nothing worked. I am immensely disappointed with this printer and with Staples. Worst printer ever. So sad to be saying this but, 'Goodbye Epson and Staples'.

When my IT guy called for support of my scanner (Epson Perfection V600 Photo) that I received for Christmas 2016 the guy said it would be $100 MINIMUM and when my IT questioned that and the support guy hung up on us. Like I said this scanner is not even 6 months old. I clicked on something (Twain) that popped up and it changed everything and we haven't been able to get it back to the original status when it was installed. Will have to think very hard before I EVER buy an Epson product again!

We may need legislation to prevent companies like Epson telling us we need to buy more ink while freezing OUR printers until we do. I just talked to an Epson customer service rep who said yes, until I replace my blue cartridge, I cannot print in black and white even though I have plenty of black ink. Something about how it could possibly damage the printer head. I'm not buying that and if true, fix your printer heads! This is big brother and criminal in my mind. The last time I "had" to replace my yellow cartridge, I took it out back and smashed it with a sledgehammer and guess what? Yellow ink all over the place. Another time they said my black ink was low and needed replacement soon. I then printed a COUPLE HUNDRED simple documents I use in my business with that cartridge they said needed replacement.

Another time I went to Costco and bought the four pack with the three colored and one black cartridge. My already installed blue cartridge showed 3/4 full so I just replaced the others. Guess what, within a few days having done very little printing in color, my blue needed to be replaced! Does their computer show I bought the Costco four pack? You know, make him install the blue too? My first printers were stand alone units and when you ran low on ink, the page showed it. Now you have to link to Epson, HP, etc. and have them control your device.

Some jerk probably figured out if they programmed the ink replacement just right, their ink sales would dramatically increase. And printer ink has to be one of the most expensive substances on earth by weight. The yellow ink all over the rock in my backyard was probably worth $10.00 or so! Google the John Deere repair controversy and see how they are similarly doing this type of thing to their customers. We need legislation my friends.

I have never wrote a complaint to any company before. I just replaced a set of Epson ink cartridges 20 minutes ago. Printed maybe 23 sheets out and now it's asking me to replace the ink cartridge again and won't let me carry on printing anything. This is from your Epson XP-605. Really unimpressed with this company. That's just €45 I've spent on nothing!

Epson Workforce 2630 - I've had nothing but problems with this printer. From trying to print with ease and not all this complicated steps to go through to replacing of ink cartridges. In order for it to work you have to replace all 4 cartridges. I've done that numerous times and now after buying all the cartridges it prints fuzzy light black copies. Technical support said heads are clogged. More $$$ to fix or just buy a new one. I had bought Epson products before with problems. I should've known better with this purchase.

After checking several websites for reviews on printers decided the WF-3620 was perfect for me. Bought at Staples 4/26/17 and in setting up 5/2/17 (knew set up would not go as easy as expected so ensured I had time to get this done). Got a printer error message immediately so retried several times with same and different error message (0x54 and 0x69). Got online chat going with Jasmine via iPad. Had to click on link which did not work so she advised that I needed to get PC ready and call the toll free #. Do not know why I need a PC to set up a printer when instructions state not to hook to your PC. Called 888-304-8988 and got referred to 562-276-4322 by a very crabby operator and it took 3 times to get the referral number communicated. Called the number and with the foreign rep had difficulty understanding along with a very poor connection. Called back, same thing. Called again, poor connection and poor communication.

I am pretty sure the location was not Long Beach, CA or Salt Lake City, UT as indicated on my phone! Finally got a better connection and after much research with error message of 0x69 and being put on hold for over 10 minutes, was advised that I need a new printer! Questioned several times that it could not be fixed as rep indicated a hardware failure. All was good to have a new (refurbed? Not sure!) printer after I finally was able to get my address through to the representative who had difficulty with it all, until he wanted my credit card number to put a hold on for $101 until they got the defective printer back. I understand the issue, but do not want to give it out.

But secondly, the last reviewer said he got a re-furbished unit anyway. I bought a new unit (I think!!) and want a new replacement unit. Will just box this up and return to Staples and look at other brands of printers to purchase. Cannot add a receipt to this to be a "verified buyer" as I have no scanner thanks to Epson! What an ordeal!

OK. I never would have believed this cluster if I had not just gone through it myself. Over this past weekend, when I had tons of work and copies to get out, I received the DREADED 0x97 ERROR MESSAGE on my WF-7610. Today, I just spent over one hour talking to Josh & Felix in the Philippines and finally a supervisor by the name of Milton in California and found out that the computer is DEAD and of no further use to me. Sure; Epson stands behind their product if you agree to have a "refurbished replacement sent to your home" and as long as you allow them to put a hold for $150.00 on your credit card until they receive your old unit back to them.

BUT CUSTOMERS BEWARE. When you return your printer back to them, you are sending all of the stored information that you have used in copying, scanning, and creating your personal stuff from that printer on its hard drive. I have used this WF-7610 for very sensitive documents involving veteran's personal information (i.e. SS#s, Claim Numbers, Medical Information, etc) and that information is all stored inside of my printer. By returning it with the hard drive intact, would be like giving EPSON (or whoever they sell our old printers to) permission to steal my personal identity, and also every other person's identity that I have worked with in the past.

When I explained that returning it back to them was unacceptable to me; they said that there is some kind of process that they have whereby a tech would walk me through a clearing process on the phone to "erase" the data off of the hard drive before I return it back to them. How consoling is that to a person when you are dealing with people over the phone that you do not know and you cannot personally smash the hard drive yourself???

I guess I am returning back to HP as their customer. I'll eat this poor business choice. HP ink is cheaper, lasts longer, and you can buy HP printer ink on sale. You are not constantly "updating" hardware, software, and firmware only to find out that your product has been "downgraded" without your knowledge. And why would I allow Epson to place a $150.00 hold to send me a re-furbished product when that is what the new WF-7610 costs IF THEY HAD THEM IN STOCK. And this problem all happened after I replaced the ink cartridges with Epson products all purchased at Office Depot. Never again and buyers beware!

Our 2014 Epson Workforce Pro4630 Printer keeps showing an error 097 code after it prints one page. Frustrating. Also, the print cartridges are emptying their ink too quickly, e.g., the black ink cartridge is 3/4 gone and I've only printed maybe 200 pages or less!! I'm throwing this piece of crap out. If anyone has suggestions for a better printer that doesn't use tons of ink, please let me know!

I have had nothing but problems with my Epson printer. Every time it is not used for any length of time, the printer says it needs new ink cartridges. I change them and it still does not work. They make you buy ink cartridges even when they still have ink in them when you shake them. It's the worst printer I have ever had. I am throwing it out with the new ink cartridges and all. I will return to HP and never buy an Epson printer again. It's a total rip off. Forcing people to buy ink when they haven't used their printer enough!

The Epson ET-4550 printer stopped working less than a month after I bought it. Customer Service (in the Philippines) will only replace it with a refurbished printer. Customer Service in Long Beach will replace with a new printer. However, if the new one fails as well all I can get is a refurbished printer. As though this is my fault. Unfortunately I bought the printer at Best Buy and cannot find the receipt. Also the nearest Best Buy is 100's of miles away.

I purchased an Epson Workforce 100 portable printer in November of 2016. It stopped working in March 2017. Epson sent a replacement printer. As I was standing in FedEx Office, returning my printer, I realized that they sent me a refurbished unit. I didn't feel that I should have a "refurbished" unit at the "new" unit price, so I called Epson. The representative told me that Epson only send refurbished units to replace warranted ones. She also told me that the warranty was on the new item, not the refurbished one so I decided to send the refurbished one back and keep the new one that may stop working again later.

When Epson inquired about the printer return, I discovered that they provide 2 return labels - one for Canada and one for the US. I inadvertently used the Canadian label. Epson Canada returned the item to me and I had to ship it to the US location. The same group that took my money provided these instructions. Trudy ** also told me that I was misinformed by the other representative.

US location received it and processed it in but 1 day later, Epson still charged me the price of a "new" printer. When I inquired about it, I reached their customer support expert Trudy ** who informed me that once it was processed, my money would be returned in 7-10 business days. This is unacceptable to me. I asked to be transferred to another representative but she declined. Told me that she was in the highest department, yet she scheduled a return call from a manager. Epson has their printer and my money and they can't talk to me about it. 24 - 48 more hours. Buyers beware! They will sell you a junk printer and then take your money too.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Epson, formally known as Seiko Epson Corporation, is a Japanese technology company known for producing high-quality printers. The company, which is headquartered in Shinjuku, was founded in 1942.

• Professional and amateur grade: Epson sells both professional imaging devices and amateur-grade printers, so it's a good option for a wide range of consumers.
  • Award winning: Epson printers have won a slew of awards from places like PCMag.com, Computer Shopper, CRN and more.
  • One-stop shop: Epson sells its own ink, paper and other accessories, so it's a convenient place for a shopper to buy all the necessary printing supplies at once.
  • Specialized printers: Since Epson is a printing focused company, they offer more specialized printers than many other companies. One of the most popular specialized printers sold by Epson is its suite of label printers.
  • Excellent all-in-one printers: The company is known for creating a line of high-quality all-in-one devices, and many of their devices can print, scan, fax and more.
  • Best for Large offices, homeowners with computers, photographers, students and schools.

Compare Printers