2.53/5

Last updated: April 18, 2018

546 Epson Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 18, 2018

I recently got an Epson XP-410. I have not had it long, but already I found where I'm going to put it; directly into the trash. Yesterday I had to change the ink cartridges, as I was out of yellow and apparently needed it to print in black and white. So I purchased a new pack of 3 (they don't let you buy each color individually) and picked up a black one as well for the full set. I brought everything home, loaded up the yellow and attempted to print a page. Nothing came out. I tried again, but still nothing happened. The page was a simple pattern, just 4 black lines and a few words. I thought maybe something was wrong with the black ink cartridge so I reluctantly replaced that one as well. Still, nothing came through but a blank sheet of paper.

I've used the printer before, so I'm not sure where the issue was coming from. I did the pre-programmed cleaning, then tried a quick test. I got a page back with 3 small boxes; blue, magenta, yellow. No black. It was getting late and I was frustrated, so I thought I'd come back to it the next day. Today, I found myself in the exact same situation. This time I tried printing a paragraph. Nothing but a blank page came out again. Diagnostics, done. Cleaning, done. Ink check, done, but same issue. Just the three colors. So I went to try to print again. I wish I could say that I had the same issue, but sadly I got a different result - an error popped up telling me my yellow ink cartridge was empty. How? I have no idea.

So I went to Epson for help. Maybe the product was just defective, or there was a bug or something. I spoke with one of the representatives who did not understand the problem at all. I was continuously asked to replace the cartridges. After the fourth time explicitly stating that I had just replaced the cartridges, the representative finally got the message. At that point I was told nothing other than "This would indicate the nozzle for the black is really clogged." I was then given a number to call for help. Not sure why they have a help chat if it is a long way to get a phone number. I'm still undecided whether or not I will call.

At this point, it seems like a better idea to just try a different company. My recommendation for those thinking about buying any Epson printer is to make sure you can solve your own problems. If they come up, Epson is useless. Also, get ready to spend a lot of money on printer ink, because apparently 1 day and two tests is all it takes for the cartridges to run out.

Original review: April 18, 2018

WF-4630: I have rated this as one-star because there is not a lower rating. Photo prints were of unacceptably poor quality (so I bought a Canon photo printer which is awesome!). Unable to print envelopes. Paper jam error messages with no paper jam so now I am unable to print. What an awful product, Epson should be ashamed. My third Epson - the previous two were fantastic (a scanner which is 10 years old and still perfect, and a printer which just wore out from use), which is why I bought this one - and my absolute last.

Get the news you need delivered right to you!

Join over 300,000 subscribers and receive the latest expert advice, consumer news, and recall notices in your inbox.

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: April 18, 2018

I purchased an Epson XP-640 printer based largely on Consumer Reports reviews. Until a recent firmware update, the printer worked fine. Immediately after the firmware update a message appeared, “Ink cartridge is not recognized. Please replace cartridges.” Three of the five cartridges were no longer “recognized” after the firmware update.

After spending considerable time making sure all cartridges were properly seated I looked on-line to find out that this is a well known issue with the latest firmware update – and many dissatisfied customers. I contacted Epson tech support who referred me to customer service. The customer service rep said that the only solution was to buy Epson ink cartridges. I mentioned to him that based on a Supreme Court ruling, it was illegal for Epson and others to prevent 3rd party manufacturers from providing supplies and replacement ink. He had no explanation and simply repeated that the only solution was to purchase Epson Ink cartridges which cost $60 for a full replacement set.

A new XP 640 cost $80. At this point CONSUMER REPORTS should NOT RECOMMEND THE XP-640 and issue a warning about EPSON's illegal practices. PLEASE NOTE: THE PRINTER WAS WORKING FINE WITH 3RD PARTY CARTRIDGES UNTIL THE FIRMWARE UPDATE. A class action should be started. Also below is Epson's STANDARD ANSWER to others who have had the same problem after the firmware update...

"I apologize for the disappointing experience you’ve encountered with your Epson printer. From time to time, Epson updates its firmware to ensure the printer operates as designed. The Epson XP-640 is designed to use only genuine Epson-brand ink cartridges. Other brands of ink cartridges and ink supplies are not compatible and, even if described as compatible, may not function properly or at all. Please ensure you have installed Epson genuine cartridges. If you are still having problems we have created a special advanced technical support team that can provide assistance. Please contact us at 800-241-5794." FINAL NOTE: Epson Customer services had NO remedy to their illegal firmware update other than buy Epson cartridges.

Original review: April 16, 2018

I bought an Epson printer because it was recommended. However after every print run it gives off a high pierced noise. It drives me crazy. I run a small business and even though it was bought brand new and is not working properly from day 1. Their only solution was to have it collected and sent off for a service. I explained I run a small company and it is my only printer so I cannot be without a printer for 10 days, not even one day. They told me that is their only solution which is no solution at all. So all I can do is put up with the noise. They should send out an engineer to service on site, give a replacement in the meantime, or just change it given the fault is from new. The company would not offer any of these as a solution. I am appalled by the lack of customer service I received and will never buy another of these printers again.

Original review: April 16, 2018

So I have 2 All In One Printer by Epson. Both purchased after reading many reviews and doing research for my needs that of a small business owner for use at my day office and my home evening office. I think both of these performed at a 4 star rating until I made the mistake of updating the firmware. I can no longer use aftermarket cartridges, and help keep Earth a greener place. When you update the only thing it changed was the entire function of each printer to acknowledge aftermarket ink cartridges. So it will no longer allow you to print until you install Epson cartridges...

FYI not just Epson refilled cartridges as mine all have the Epson stamp on its body as refilled cartridges. But the internal chips in the cartridges must notify them, and the update rendered the All In One printers useless in the printer function (for me its primary function) due to the use of remanufactured cartridges (for the record same cartridges functioned and printed fine before update). Time to see what kinds of class action suits are against Epson for its shady businesses practices.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Epson?

Original review: April 12, 2018

Beware - DO NOT ALLOW SOFTWARE UPDATE ON YOUR EPSON Printer (XP-434)! FIRMWARE DISABLES NON-EPSON INK CARTRIDGE USE! Prior to update of April 9, 2018, non-Epson ink cartridges worked without issue. With the recent update, Epson is forcing users to purchase and install their ink cartridges, or the printer will remain disabled and unable to print. THIS IS OUTRAGEOUS and UNETHICAL! I will never buy Epson again and I will join the growing community to spread this issues far and wide!

Original review: March 26, 2018

I bought 2 printers of Epson (Epson SureLab D700 & Epson Stylus Pro 4900) in 28 Nov 2017 but I am in totally loss. There is no work for this printer. And now nobody purchase my printer in all over India.

Original review: March 23, 2018

I bought this printer (wf-5621) because it has high monthly usage and was advertised as low cost, Epson gives you starter cartridges in the box which don't even give you 1000 copies. Then being in the Philippines where I bought it is almost impossible to get new Epson ink cartridges. When you find them it will cost you almost as much as the printer original cost. It's advertised by Epson as a low cost office pointer. They suck.

Original review: March 20, 2018

Have had this ** Epson printer for a rather short time (maybe 4 months), and as of yesterday have needed to replace the ink cartridges - and yes these are "Epson" ink cartridges supplied with the printer when I bought it. Continuously since yesterday (I can't tell you many times - maybe 15 or 20) I have tried to install the new cartridges to no avail - "Cannot recognize the following ink cartridge(s). Try installing them again." I've had it! I will not try installing them again! If I could hand it to them, I would tell Epson to take this printer and shove it! I will now throw it away, and find a more reliable/easier to use/easier to replace ink cartridges - printer. What a piece of crap this is! I did not keep the receipt. I did not in my wildest dreams think I would need it. If it makes any difference, here is the serial# w57y255478.

Original review: March 18, 2018

FIRMWARE DISABLES NON-EPSON INK CARTRIDGE USE!! Epson is forcing users to purchase their ink in the form or a firmware update. THIS IS OUTRAGEOUS!! I will never buy Epson again and will make it my mission to spread this issues far and wide!

Original review: March 16, 2018

Epson WF-2630 Printer - Epson mandates, through their software, that you must purchase and install color ink for your printer in order to print in black. Even if you never print in color, you MUST purchase color ink. DON'T EVER PURCHASE AN EPSON PRINTER.

Original review: March 12, 2018

From the first day I purchased a l380 printer with problem and now one year passed and excused is out of warranty. ** so poor service from your service engineer like a unexperienced person, in one year they did, "Sir we need to change this part." That part nothing else that, now problem same from first day to last and now they say out of warranty.

Original review: March 9, 2018

I have had my Epson 3640 for 3 years and it's still working as good as new. Print quality is outstanding and speed is good for this printer. Replacement of the ink is very easy.

Original review: March 9, 2018

Appears to run out of ink even when you barely use it. If one color is out, you don't have the option to print in black only even if the cartridge is full. Prints pages sideways and causes you to have to stand up all the time and straighten it out.

Original review: March 9, 2018

I find separate cartridges a pain in any printer. I don't print too often but generally it has been good. I have an all in one -fax, scanner, copier, printer that is wireless and has an app. to use on your phone but you have to be nearby (home or in vicinity of unit).

Original review: March 8, 2018

I work in IT Desktop support so have dealt with a lot of printers. The is by far the worst when it comes to ink clogging up, destroying heads, or ink drying out. Just leaving a brand new ink cartridge sit for one week unused causes the printer to require maintenance. Ink is constantly used up not by printing, but by head cleaning. Went through 3 cartridges just performing maintenance. Stay far away from this printer. I am surprised with the amount of negative reviews that there has not been a class action suit against Epson yet.

Original review: March 8, 2018

The last two Epson printers I have owned stopped working when I had to change the ink cartridges. Not only did I lose the use of the printers, I was out the cost of the ink. I contacted Epson but they could care less. I had only owned Epson printers up to that point but never again.

Original review: March 8, 2018

I have the Epson Workforce 845. Mostly print documents. Good printer but uses too much ink... May sell it and get a laser printer.

Original review: March 7, 2018

I switched from a Canon Pixma that broke down before I even went through a ream (500 sheets) of paper. So I bought an Epson printer since I had used one before and liked it. I have to say that the new Epsons though available with more features, are not as easy to navigate sometimes like the ones from the early 2000's till 2012.

What I dislike about my new Epson is the darn paper tray that feeds the printer is not very well made. If you reinsert the tray and the stack of paper moves, the pickup roller won't be able to pick up the paper on the tray to print. This is terrible if you have the printer in standby and randomly receive faxes and other documents when you are gone. They have also become ink hoggers. You have to constantly modify settings to reduce ink consumption. The standard settings actually saturates the paper in some areas and will smudge and run if you don't give it a few minutes to absorb and dry. They are put on sale quite often. For the price, I think they do well. Next time I will try the HP OfficeJet Pro models. I just need to make sure they don't require OEM cartridges to work.

Original review: March 7, 2018

I love the way the computer does print on both sides and that I can scan from the printer... The only issue that I have is that the computer seems to not stay connected as I would like but I think it the distance of the computer from the printer.

Original review: March 6, 2018

This year, I bought an Epson XP-640, replacing my old faithful, an Epson R-220 Photo. The XP is very good, but the R-220 was great! In addition, online support for the R-220 was outstanding. So far, the XP-640 has functioned well, but photo quality does not seem as good as with the R-220.

Original review: March 6, 2018

This printer is the worst I have owned when it comes to being able to change between different types of paper and printing. Very confusing. Hard to reset so it works with the next type of paper or project.

Original review: March 5, 2018

It's ok. This is my 2nd one. The 1st stop working altogether. Don't know why. But they did send me a new one. Just had to wait for it to come in the mail. Overall it is a good printer.

Original review: March 5, 2018

Epson printer with WiFi is amazing. You can hook up your phone, tablets to print. Color pictures are fantastic. WiFi never goes out and always connected.

Original review: March 4, 2018

Have printer for 2 years. It's a nice looking printer but I can't make it work. Do you know how to make it work? Help. Help. Help.

Original review: March 4, 2018

I purchased the Epson Artisan 835 several years ago. It is a multifunctional printer and scanner. It has the capability of printing on paper up to legal size and also has a photo print feeder for up to 4x6 photo prints. There is also the capability to print CD/DVD labels. It is easy to replace the ink cartridges, add paper or photo paper. Easy process to quality print documents, photos and CD/DVD labels. There are no problems with paper jams. Very pleased with this printer.

Original review: March 3, 2018

The Epson is portable and easy setup. It is pricey but well worth it and it fits into a carry-on or checked luggage. (I wrap mine in bubble wrap.) About 6x2x15 at max and has a quality print.

Original review: March 3, 2018

We have had this Epson printer For approximately 6 years. Living in a rural area, it has been beneficial having a printer with a fax. It is a wireless printer, so being able to print from your phone or tablet is a plus. We have had zero problems with our printer.

Original review: March 2, 2018

Ink is easy to install, prints match what is on screen. Bluetooth is temperamental. Rodin does send out a lot of firmware updates... Which I think is good.

Original review: March 2, 2018

To buy ink is so expensive. I'm on a fix income and it is hard to find the money to replace it. Wish there was a way you could make it affordable.

Epson expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Epson, formally known as Seiko Epson Corporation, is a Japanese technology company known for producing high-quality printers. The company, which is headquartered in Shinjuku, was founded in 1942.

• Professional and amateur grade: Epson sells both professional imaging devices and amateur-grade printers, so it's a good option for a wide range of consumers.

• Award winning: Epson printers have won a slew of awards from places like PCMag.com, Computer Shopper, CRN and more.

• One-stop shop: Epson sells its own ink, paper and other accessories, so it's a convenient place for a shopper to buy all the necessary printing supplies at once.

• Specialized printers: Since Epson is a printing focused company, they offer more specialized printers than many other companies. One of the most popular specialized printers sold by Epson is its suite of label printers.

• Excellent all-in-one printers: The company is known for creating a line of high-quality all-in-one devices, and many of their devices can print, scan, fax and more.

• Best for: Large offices, homeowners with computers, photographers, students and schools.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs