Epson

Compare Printers

Research top Printers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

After less than a year using this printer and having to buy ink cartridges seemingly every 2 months (I have very low usage requirements), I am ready to get a new printer. I've just ordered another set of cartridges over $40.00 worth. Once I go through these I will donate this printer to trash. By far the worst printer I've ever owned, in terms of ink usage.

Bought a new WF-2650. Within a year it no longer prints due to "ink cartridge not recognized." Bought new cartridge and problem continues. Ended up throwing it in the trash after hours and hours of automatic nozzle cleaning. Bought another new WF-2650 and after 4 months having the same problems. How many DECADES has Epson been making printers? And they STILL have not decided to build reliability into their printers? Do "I" have to tell Epson that reliability is part of the testing and design work? NO, Epson. I don't want explanations about drying ink and running nozzle cleaning cycles. I want a printer designed to handle (or eliminate) the problems and keep on printing. I'm heading out to purchase ANOTHER printer today... and it WILL NOT be an Epson.

I literally tossed my Epson WorkForce printer into the garbage. It sucked ink like crazy. Every time I went to print it said I needed ink. I had this printer for about 1 year. I don't do a lot of printing either, but when I do I want the printer to work. In about a year I did not even go through 1/2 a ream of paper with this thing, but I did wind up buying a lot of ink! With almost every sheet printed you could watch the ink deplete. As a test I replaced the Magenta cartridge and printed out 5 sheets. It indicated that I had used HALF the magenta cartridge already and that is when I decided right there and then to dump it! Additionally I could not find any economy or draft settings to use. This is totally unacceptable! After reading about all the complaints of Epson printers, I believe them.

I purchased an HP Envy and just tossed the Epson into the trash can. Now I see that Epson has come out with their "EcoTank" printers, but the damage is done. Epson made a conscious decision to hose the consumer with their ink-wasters so I'm done with them for good. I don't care what the product is, I will always remember Epson's skullduggery regarding ink management!

I have purchased two WF-4630 Epson printers five months ago. After used one of them to print about 400 pages, started print out blank pages! When I called the customer support about this issue, they said that print head cleaning needs to be performed to fix this issue, so I purchased two Epson ink cartridges for $226.82. After many head cleaning, cleaning consumed my two brand new ink cartridges without fixing my issue!

I asked the tech guy I was talking to over the phone: "I just wasted $226.82 to follow your troubleshooting trying to fix this issue! and I want you to send me two ink cartridges instead of the two that I already consumed based on your troubleshooting!" He said "sorry I can't do this and this is the way we troubleshoot regardless of your loss!!" This product worth nothing. $600.00 for two printers and $226.00 of ink just went to the garbage without fixing the blank page print out!! How many hundreds of dollars need to spend to fix an issue for a printer that cost $300.00?

I had brought epson L 360 printer on 16-06-16. Within 6 month up to 17-11-16, I consumed approx 2.5 liter epson ink (i.e. 43.2 bottle of 70ml epson T664 ink) for my book's 64000 prints. Now Epson head is self destructed. Epson claims in its advertised that its microPizzo head is durable and permanent. But my experience say that, "Epson head is neither durable nor permanent. It is self destruct after 2.5 liter ink firing. Because it life is calculated by me as 128 billion droplet or impulse/22pl droplet size = 2.944 lit. ink firing. After it is self destructed. And it cost is too high (Service center cost is INR Rs. 5000 which is half of printer cost).

So epson claim of high durable, high Volume chief printing cost printer is false as per my experience. Because my printing cost is 1. Printer cost per page = INR Rs.12000/64000 pages = 0.187 per page + Ink cost 0.25 per page + head cost 0.10 per page => TOTAL PRINTING COST = approx. 50 per page (paper cost extra.). So don't buy printer as per epson claims. Epson claims are totally false.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Epson?

This printer worked sufficiently for approximately 2 months. It uses an excessive amount of ink, which I can live with. After about 3-4 months it completely stopped printing, COMPLETELY. It goes through the motions but produces nothing. I have done all the normal maintenance procedures, head cleaning/alignment, change ink (large waste of $), and even performed set up again. NOTHING. Believe the bad reviews concerning this printer. I thought I would save a few bucks and ignore the reviews. Spend the extra $ and get an HP or something. This is a horrific printer. Gave one star because I could not submit with 0.

As normal, my computer prompted me to purchase more ink. However, when I got past the shipping information, the website said that the page can no longer be found. I tried going in several different ways, but the page to purchase ink is always unavailable, even though the website is still up and running. Are they doing maintenance?? I tried to call them, but the website lied about Saturday hours. I sent an email but got a reply stating that my email was considered spam. All I want to do is buy some ink and not pay Staples for the crazy prices it charges. Help!

I have spent over 33 hours with tech support trying to get help communicating with my Epson WF 4640. I have uninstalled software 10 times and have been told three different ways to scan. This is how I have to scan now. See my YouTube video **. I should have read the reviews regarding Epson. Epson you SUCK!!!

I am giving up! I have no idea how to set up the wireless connection for the Epson et-2500 printer. I returned another Epson printer because of the same reason, but the shop man convinced me this one would be easy to set up. Easy? No way! I am not an engineer, I will give Epson that, but I am quite savvy when it comes to it, but setting the wireless connection up on this printer is impossible. Just alone the guides, where are they, which one should I used. I found a network guide. It is 36 pages long... 36 pages long. It is full of technical talk that I have no idea about. No images, if only a few. No Windows 10 guides. NO help... I am returning this expensive Epson et-2500 printer now. Get a HP or a Brother where the setup is so EASY that my child at 9 has done it. Here is an idea. YouTube videos... Video guides showing how to do it. Welcome to 2016 and customer service.

A little over a week ago, I received in the mail Epson's new catalogue "Introducing the Epson Surecolor P-Series." The advertised price of the P800 printer is $845 after rebates. I called to order and the sales rep quoted me a price of $995 after rebates. When I referred to the catalogue, she said she knew nothing about the catalogue but could sell me the printer at $895 in conjunction with my buying a service plan. She also said there was no one higher up I could speak with; then told me the P800 was out of stock.

I contacted Customer Service at a slightly different number and was told that the rep knew nothing about the catalogue and that I would have to email images of the catalogue, which I did. A rep called back and told me that that price was available only through authorized dealers, even though the catalogue doesn't state that and actually says that buying through an authorized dealer could result in additional charges. When I mentioned this, the rep said she would have to get back to me. No one has contacted me yet. I wonder if anyone has had the same experience -- frankly I am thinking of starting a class action against Epson.

I am on my third Epson printer. My last printer, a WF 2650, worked great out of the box despite a few Wi-Fi connection issues. It printed well until about a month ago when it started not printing out yellow. I replaced the cartridge, which did not help. It continued to print my labels, but the colors were off. Yesterday I was doing some printing in black only, and it ran out of magenta, creating poor quality prints. I replaced the cartridge and then it would not print at all. After several head cleanings, the only color that shows up on test prints is cyan.

I called the company and they said the technician, whom I could barely understand due to his poor English, was quite rude and unhelpful, and said that my printer's problem was not fixable, and offered to send me a new printer, at an increased cost. I have only had this printer a year, and it is the third Epson printer I've had and experienced the same issue with. My other two printers lasted for longer than a year though before they stopped printing certain colors or at all. I am very dissatisfied with Epson's poor quality products and service. I did fill out the warranty papers but was told that my printer was already out of warranty. I am now wondering if all printers eventually clog up and quit printing after a year or so.

This printer is absolutely the most unreliable unit ever owned. Can't imagine how much ink is wasted by all the dirty printing. I've never used anything but Epson Ink Cartridges but am constantly disappointed having to run cleaning and maintenance so often, nothing like the dependability of my previous HP printers. Staples, from whom I purchased the printer, never has Epson Cartridges discounted as they do with HP ink. Just FYI.

Workforce 3640 Printer - All of the Office Max Reps hemmed and hawed about this machine and it was great for about 7 months then ** printing, ran all of the cleaning and maintenance utilities, still lousy printing. This really makes me mad. Especially running a small business on a budget this is the last thing you need.

Epson XP-410 - As with countless others, DO NOT BUY THIS PRINTER! Nothing but problems. Yes there are solutions online but who has an hour to devote to trying to fix something that should just simply work? No use reiterating all that has been said already. Suffice to say I have most of the same issues described in this forum. Piece of junk. Terrible waste of money!!

Epson 610 - I'm a photographer and needed a printer that would give me quality photos. I heard this was a good printer for photos but I quickly found out this product leaves a lot to be desired. The scanner was used maybe 5 times and no longer works. It leaves an entire side of any document I scan in completely black. I also noticed my photo colors are now very off. My biggest complaint is the price of the ink and the fact that you can't just replace ONE cartridge when it runs out. It makes me replace all of them. If I only want to print black but the yellow is out, I have to replace the yellow before using the printer. This is just a way to get customers to buy more ink and waste money. I absolutely hate this printer and will definitely be buying a new one soon.

I used the Epson WF-4630 for the first time 4/15/2015 and since then I have printed less than 4000 pages. My printer then started to print extremely poorly. I tried cleaning the heads and re-aligning to no avail. I called customer service and they had me put new ink cartridges in (that cost me over $100). They tried cleaning the heads four times, each time the problem was as bad if not worse than it was before. They then told me that it was a hardware issue and that because the printer was out of warranty there was nothing they could do. They would not reimburse me for the ink nor replace or fix their printer.

I spoke with a supervisor and he apologized for the "inconvenience". It is not an inconvenience when their product doesn't work and I waste money on new ink cartridges. It is poor product design, that may be designed intentionally to break down after a year, and poor customer service. I will never buy or recommend buying an Epson printer ever again. They have lost a customer for life.

This thing prints like it's almost out of ink even though it has 1 and 1/4 cartridges of black ink. Never has printed reliably. I will never ever buy an Epson again. No wonder the Best Buy people were trying so hard to push them off on customers. They knew they sucked. I should have gotten a Brother like I planned. Our office Brother is 10 years older than this POS and has used half as much ink, easy. If you're thinking of buying one, please save yourself the agony and DO NOT BUY!! Repeat: DO NOT BUY AN EPSON!

I am totally disgusted with having to buy ink all the time! Bought a new printer last week and it is demanding ink already. My last printer did the same and I was told it was because it was an old printer. Both are Epson. Bought my cartridges from epson too.

The printer holds 6 colors. When one runs out you can not printer... Until new one arrives. I only need to print in black. Crazy. I will not buy another Epson printer.

I have had this printer sent to your technical services twice and they can't seem to solve the problem. I asked them to give me a new one because I don't trust that they will be able to fix the problem. I think that it's a factory defect situation and am certainly an extremely dissatisfied customer with all the problems I'm having with it. The store I bought it at has sent them several e-mails but they haven't reacted to any of them. If you have any kind of influence with them here I would appreciate it if you would tell me that they will give me a new one since it is one of YOUR products.

Please let me know how you can fix the problems I've had with it because right now I'm not happy about it at all. I returned it to be fixed on July 16th and still haven't heard a thing from them. I'm actually losing my patience and starting to feel quite angry about the lousy service here. All I want is a new one that works without having all these problems. Right now I'm sure not going refer to buying this problem until it's solved like I expect a company like yours normally does in cases like this. Please send me a reply on what you plan to do with my problem.

I had a horrible customer service experience with Epson today. It was supposed to be something easy which was to set up my wireless Artisan 430 to my computer. This was my second attempt since my first Artisan 1430 turned out to be defective. The first person I talked to was a woman in the Philippines. She barely seemed to know what she was doing because the initial steps took over a half hour. Then she told me I needed a WPS button on the BACK of the modem to connect the printer. I never found it because the WPS button was on the FRONT of my modem. This was just the start of my problems.

The next rep from the Philippines also gave me misinformation that wasted a lot of my time. At this point I talked to a supervisor who supposedly gave me the customer service number. No... I got reconnected to tech again... and again.. and again and again. Finally I reached customer service in Long Beach CA and talked to an extremely rude and arrogant person. What she kept doing was asking me questions and then cutting me off every time I tried to answer. It became obvious after awhile that this behavior was intentional. I asked for her name and supervisor. She refused to give me her name and put me on hold. (forget) After 45 minutes I realized nobody was ever going to answer. I called back again and again and kept receiving wrong numbers from their reps.

Altogether nearly 5 hours of my time was wasted... for absolutely nothing!!! Because of the arrogance of every rep I spoke to, I feel like spending 24/7 for a long time spreading the word on the internet against this terrible company who think they're too big to fail.

My EPSON 410 has been nothing but trouble since I purchased it a year ago. Paper jams are common and like the other comments listed here the ink replacement scam has cost me over $200. Like the other owners of these terrible machines they are designed and programmed to use up your ink (whether you use the printer or not) and not operate unless all four cartridges are full. The cartridges are designed to dry out and the printer is designed to clog. Unless you are extremely handy and have lots of time you will be forced to throw this machine out as repairs done at a shop will surpass the cost of the printer itself. EPSON knows this and bets that you will go out and buy it again and again. I guarantee you that they make much more money selling those time little ink cartridges than they do selling printers! Could anyone suggest a GOOD printer??

This hunk of junk was a waste of money... and my valuable time, trying to fix the faulty printer. I hope someone files a class action suit against this company for ripping off customers. I purchased this all in one product from Amazon and, initially, it worked fine. I didn't use it a lot. When the ink ran out and I replaced the cartridges, all of them, which were Epson ink products, the printer no longer worked!

I know enough to trouble shoot... test pages, nozzle check, cleaning, etc. When I called customer service/help desk, the rep., who of course was an outsourced foreigner who barely spoke English, attempted to walk me through everything I had already done. Then suggested I go to a service center. I don't think so. When I checked back on Amazon I see that that this printer has been discontinued. When I sought help online, I see all of the NEGATIVE reviews about this, and several other Epson products - most related to printing! I will NEVER, EVER purchase another Epson product, and will steer everyone I know away from these frauds. I want my money back!

I have an Epson XP 320 printer for 6 months and everything was fine up until recently a software update with the word firmware update on my computer came up when I tried to print a document last week. And when I tried to print that document it kept showing low ink on my magenta color. I tried several times to print but it would print the 1st line on the document and that was it. The black ink was very light also. However, today I tried to print another document in black and white; now it keeps saying same thing - low ink on magenta color. I am just needing to print in black ink. So I tried to call support. No help at all. The rep said this will cost you because Windows now after update does not recognize. I have Windows 8 and as soon as I heard she said this will cost me I just hung up.

It is false advertisement to say printer ALL IN ONE. But, yet you have no choice to use color or black ink as an option for printing just because you are low on ink on one of the cartridge. Also, online when you type your problem in brief it will route you to the screen to buy more cartridge. This is a trick to get you to buy more ink and stops your printer from printing. I have emailed the company and have ask for a refund on this printer. Consumers should be told honestly why an update is needed not to deceive the consumer and force them to buy more ink so that their printer will work properly. With all these complaints of the same nature a class action suit is needed. Big companies should not get away with tricking consumers. Disgusting business.

The printer/scanner is a decent quality. What is the rip is the ink cartridges. I mainly use the scanner, but when I needed to print a black only document, it won't let me because it says the Cyan cartridge is out. I talk to tech support, and they confirm that the printer won't print unless it recognizes all cartridges are not empty. What a bunch of crap. The black cartridge is full. Spent an hour on the phone with tech support from overseas and nothing. I will never buy another Epson product. Epson NX410 All in One. This unit is going to the curb, so trash pickers be aware if you want it. I wouldn't try to sell this piece of junk to my worst enemy.

Have had an Epson WorkForce 610 for a number of years. Have easily used re-manufactured ink cartridges for a great savings. Unit has clogged up one or more head at various times. Have usually unclogged them but uses up a lot of ink of all colors to do so. Here are issues:

1) To clean heads, ALL cartridges must be in the machine and have ink. Cleaning uses up A LOT of ink and you can't just clean a selected color! Attempt by Epson to have one use up ink!

2) New problem occurred of "not recognizing" a cartridge. Tried two Cyan cartridges, no result - but recognizes the one with low ink to be replaced. Cannot print due to low Cyan ink. Epson even disables scanning if an ink is missing or not recognized! What the hell does ink status have to do with scanning? NOTHING - but another Epson way to make you replace and buy cartridges! I now have a color printer all-in-one that is not usable for any function! Common problem I see on internet.

3) Even with a missing color, you cannot tell printer to print ONLY in B/W! Unless all cartridges are there, it prevents printing! Also is the info that Epson Seiko sneaks in printer "updates" which are really disguised updates to FIRMWARE to increase their rejection of 3rd party remanufactured cartridges! You cannot undo firmware once automatically updated! In summary, Epson does everything possible to assure owners always have all inks and buy inks from them.

Do not buy this printer. I bought the R3000 in 2014 believing I was making a good investment. I had used it only a handful of times – for about perhaps 15 prints – before it stopped working. On this occasion the optics were faulty. It was under warranty and it was Christmas Eve when the repairman arrived to fix it. Instead of repairing the brand new machine he replaced it with a reconditioned machine assuring me the problem had been solved. I used it only a few times before it started not being able to load paper properly. I was using artist quality archival paper.

Each time I have used it – and that is only occasionally – I have to load and reload the paper about twenty times before it finally recognizes that it is loaded and pulls the paper through to print. Sometimes it jams once it's inside the machine. I have given up and no longer want to waste time with this printer. It's still almost new as I avoid using it as much as possible. Also, the ink cartridges have a very short lifespan.

Re: A Fix for Epson XP-410 Printing Issues. I just purchased this printer about a year ago and had issues with missing sentences, blurriness, gaps, etc. With my old Windows program, I could select 'Raster Printing' as an option which made everything print beautifully! After my update to Windows 10, I finally figured out that I had to copy everything into 'MS Word' from the Edge menu to print. Also, there is no 'Raster' option, but instead, in the Advanced Printing Options, under Print you must select 'Use Draft Quality'. All my frustrations gone! I hope this helps both the consumers and Epson.

This printer is horrible! With much experience with printers over the years this one is just junk. The printer stops printing when ink is still left. Even when the ink is changed a message displays it is not able to recognize it. This is for official Epson 220 ink replacement from Staples. The printer will print Magenta only and then require replacement. This is just after replacement with a new black cartridge. After replacement the message display will continue to display replace ink or align. You can turn the printer off and on, replace cartridge again and continue to receive these messages. You will run through multiple cartridges and wasted paper and may get lucky to print 20 or so pages and the printer stops and goes through the same bs. How can they sell this kind of c...? Never buy Epson again!

I've had good luck with Epson Printers in past years with excellent print quality. I purchased a new Epson printer expecting the same print quality. I'm a photographer so print quality is important to me. The 220 has terrible print quality and the ink goes way too fast. The Ink is expensive and does not last long. I doubt I will ever buy another Epson printer again.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Epson, formally known as Seiko Epson Corporation, is a Japanese technology company known for producing high-quality printers. The company, which is headquartered in Shinjuku, was founded in 1942.

• Professional and amateur grade: Epson sells both professional imaging devices and amateur-grade printers, so it's a good option for a wide range of consumers.
  • Award winning: Epson printers have won a slew of awards from places like PCMag.com, Computer Shopper, CRN and more.
  • One-stop shop: Epson sells its own ink, paper and other accessories, so it's a convenient place for a shopper to buy all the necessary printing supplies at once.
  • Specialized printers: Since Epson is a printing focused company, they offer more specialized printers than many other companies. One of the most popular specialized printers sold by Epson is its suite of label printers.
  • Excellent all-in-one printers: The company is known for creating a line of high-quality all-in-one devices, and many of their devices can print, scan, fax and more.
  • Best for Large offices, homeowners with computers, photographers, students and schools.

Compare Printers