2.43/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

627 Epson Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

Having same issues as other people, going through ink like crazy and only printing a few times. I bought ink from Walmart and on the box it says Workforce 310 and my printer is a 310, well I'm thinking I can use it in my printer - wrong. It won't fit, so I took it back and beings I opened it Walmart will not give me a refund and it's a box of four cartridges $$$. So I called Epson and got the run around of why they won't refund it because I didn't buy it from them! I feel like they are a scam and my printer's going in the trash and never again will I buy another Epson product.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

I bought this printer when I opened my small business three months ago. From the jump, it did not do as advertised, couldn't scan to my computer, couldn't connect wirelessly, would not fax, basically I could only copy and print, when I connected to the printer with a USB cable. I've called the tech support like five times and every time they tell me different things, but it boils down to "Your wifi is incompatible with our product." Since I get my wifi from the building that I lease space from, I cannot change or control that at all, so this printer is a very expensive piece of junk that is useless to me. I'm currently on hold now, pushing on three hours, trying to find someone who will give me a refund for this defective product so I can purchase a piece of equipment that I can actually use. I will never use an Epson product again.

Get expert buying tips about Printers delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

The printer seems to be set up to cost the user/owner A LOT of money on ink. Additionally, it just stopped working all together after two years. Even after software updates and driver updates the printer just stopped working!

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

Have had issues with printing and Epson says it was due to other brand of cartridge. Bought Epson cartridges at Office Depot for over one hundred dollars! Performed maintenance task per Epson support. Made 2 black copies. Now two cartridges say low ink. WTF! You have to be joking! I wasted more money on ink than a new printer cost! Total fraudulent company and product!

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

Never again do I want to support or buy your products again. My Mother bought an Epson printer with an error code 10016 that appeared on December 2018. Now the printer is useless and there is no value in the thing. My Mother and I can't even trade in the ink cartridges for a little cash. It is no wonder why you all are not mentioned. Not only does your customer service tank, but your warranty is an absolute disappointment. This is the 3rd-4th Epson printer that we bought and it didn't even last less than 5 years. I know you all are reading this and you all probably don't care about what we want. So good luck to you all but trust me. I will NEVER buy another Epson product EVER again. Happy early 2019!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Epson?

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

I purchased the WF 2760 new from Best Buy. After printing nine pages in black ink the printer stopped and demanded I replace the black ink cartridge. I went back to Best Buy and they were sold out of the black ink cartridge I needed. I went back to my office and ordered the ink from Amazon. I installed the ink. Now after 3 copies it again demanded I replace the blank ink cartridge. Epson is running a scam to sell ink. It is clear that there are others offended by this scam. On top of the purchase price, the time, money and huge inconvenience merits punitive damages to be paid by Epson. This is similar to the Volkswagen scam. If you have any information on a class action lawsuit against Epson I would gladly join.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

Last printer cartridge order (their fault) but requiring me to wait 72 hours to investigate. It’s been over 2 weeks since order placed, and with New Years, another week will go by. Instead of reissuing the order and keeping a customer happy, they’d rather screw around, inconvenience a customer over a few dollars worth of ink. When I’m done with these cartridges I’m trashing all 4 of my Epson printers and replacing with HPs.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

This printer worked very well for a short while. Then started going through ink cartridges like crazy! I very seldom make color prints, yet the color cartridges keep "running out." And it won't allow me to print only black if any of the color cartridges are low. Very frustrating and expensive dance! I hope they fixed this issue on subsequent models! But I probably won't try them. Going to another brand. Sorry Epson!

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

I've had this printer less than 6 months. I very, very, very rarely print. When I do print, it is in draft mode, grayscale. I NEVER print in color. Still, I've had to replace ALL of the cartridges twice. I'd love to find out that I am doing something wrong. Also went through EPSON's step by step in selecting new ink. Their guide instructed me to buy the wrong ink. They said I could return the unopened boxes but not the opened box even though I didn't open the cartridge. They also said I would only get a percentage returned. After a Windows Update "Can't communicate" message that prevents me from using the printer menu. I need to go through the Epson application to scan. I can't just click the Scan button on the printer. I thought I did my homework before buying this. Wrong. I HATE, HATE, HATE this printer.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

I bought this Epson XP-430 printer a few years ago, an all-in-one. It was so very gently used. I have taken great care of it. Now, all it wants to do is print in pink. All it is good for now is scanning. I plan on throwing it in the dumpster and researching other brands.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

Why in the world won't a printer print in black and white when the black ink is full! The printer says I need to fill the other colors or no dice! The overpriced ink that I don't need to print in black and white is just another ploy to have me spend my money for nothing. This is the only brand of printer that I have had this problem with and will be the last Epson product I purchase...

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

I have an Epson WF 3640 printer. The print head is partially blocked (black) and the head cleaning utility will not clear it. I decided to take it myself to their local service center, to have it serviced. As it turns out, the nearest Epson service center is in Omaha... Nebraska. If I left now to drop it off... I could be back by 7PM tonight. I live in Kansas City, MO... not a small metropolis. When I called Epson service to see if this was a bad joke... The courteous agent suggested I try a regular printer repairs store locally. I tried 5... They all emphatically said they would not touch an Epson. Time to buy a new printer... Not an Epson.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

Bought a replacement ink cartridge from Epson for my Epson XP400 series printer and inserted it. Got a "cartridge not recognized" message. Removed and replaced several times - same thing. Put the old cartridge back in - no error message. Called Epson to return the defective cartridge. Return is refused. The time limit on opened items is 30 days. Of course, I couldn't know the cartridge was defective UNTIL I opened it. Despite explanation, the CS rep was firm -- I'm out of luck. Miserable customer service. That's the end of Epson for me.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2018

Don't buy this printer. It's a scam. If one of the color cartridges is empty. It will work temporarily in black ink only setting. I have plenty of black ink, but after a few black prints, it shuts down the printing process by saying I must replace all the cartridges. I HAVE PLENTY OF BLACK INK, THAT'S ALL I NEED TO USE. What a waste of time and money... Epson's ink is outrageously expensive. Do yourself a favor... Buy something else. This printer SUCKS!!

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

Epson printer broke within warranty but Epson refused to honor the warranty and replace the broken machine. I spent hours on the phone waiting for supervisors who did not help and refused to give me the information I needed to pursue the case. I will be taking them to small claims court to get my money back and I will NEVER buy another Epson product.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

I wish I read the reviews prior to purchase. It never worked correctly; and I chalked it up to my lack of tech savvy until I had a project I needed to complete and thought it ridiculous to keep going to Kinkos when I had a printer at home. I worked on it three hours following the website assistance prompts. It still, as noted by another reviewer would not recognize the new cartridge I installed. I then called in for assistance only to learn the head was likely defective, which indicates they sold a defective product. The number of complaints also indicates they knowingly sell defective products or simply do not care about the product, the brand or both.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

I have a problem with my Epson printer WF3720, eats black ink like a crazy, 3 inks, 30 pages printed. You cannot use 3th parity inks, you have to buy Epson's very expensive ones. I called customer service and they said they will fix my problem for $149.90, but my printer is couple of months old and still under warranty.

Never again Epson.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2018

I will NEVER buy an Epson product again! What a nightmare I’ve had with this company. I hope anyone who does has patience of steel, because you’re going to need it. I purchased an all in one printer from Office Depot a few months ago and it became faulty. After spending an hour on the phone with a support specialist who asked the same questions five times, and who obviously couldn’t troubleshoot it, they decided to send me a,”New” one. I had to pay a $197.00 deposit before they’d ship it. They sent another defective printer. Another hourly on the phone with an idiot just to realize it too was defective. NOW I had to sent two defective printers back! What a nightmare. Please be aware.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

The Epson Et 2550, a rolling disaster of a so-called printer. AVOID at all costs, the wifi function is absolute garbage, faster to write everything out. The wifi is trash, with a range of about 10 feet, and the printer loses the entire wifi config everytime it loses connection...which can be achieved by simply shutting a door. It's the worst experience I have ever had in 30 years of computing, and I've owned 2 software companies... I have experience. Save yourself the trouble and avoid Epson at all costs.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

I followed all instructions per ** and **, and still cannot print with only my black cartridge when any of the other color cartridges are completely empty. Epson even says it on their website (**): "Even if you select Black/Grayscale or Grayscale, some color ink is still being used." How pathetic!

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

I had to replace an old HP printer so I bought an Epson WF-3640 all in one. It was the most miserable experience I had EVER had owning ANYTHING! From day one, the print quality was always bad. Whenever I tried to use it, I would inevitably spend more time cleaning and aligning the heads and maintaining the unit than I did actual print jobs! It was always running out of ink, even when sitting for a long time without printing. Needless to say, this is the LAST EPSON PRODUCT I WILL EVER OWN!!!

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

I rarely, if ever, review things. But this printer is that bad. It has never printed more than one job (basic black and white documents) without the printer having problems. Paper jams constantly. Ink might last 50 pages if you're lucky. Buggy software updates that I have to then wire to my laptop and delete. If you are trying to train yourself in advanced anger management, try this printer. If not, buy any other printer on the planet.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

After updating firmware, printer sent "cartridge not recognized" message. Changed cartridges, same thing. I've now tried several brands of ink (all of which used to work) plus the oem ink. Nothing works. Unable to contact Epson from their site, which has several dead links. Chat not available. I've already wasted a day and a half trying to get the printer to work. Printer is now unusable and I don't feel like spending another $50+ for ink if it's an issue related to the firmware update.

People who own their own business cannot afford to waste this kind of time because someone screwed up the firmware! Will buy a different printer. Done with Epson!

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

Even though this printer is cheap, save your money and buy a different one. I don’t recommend the Epson printers at all, but especially not this one. It eats ink, no matter what setting it is on. The print lines will never be clear and gap-less regardless of how many times you align it. If you are using paper that’s of ANY kind, nothing will print 100% clearly on it. It says it’s wireless and it took me 4 days and 3 different specialists on the phone to set up the wireless aspect, and once I moved I had to do the entire process again.

No matter what you are trying to print, it will not be a clear or quality level image or text. Even if you do change the print quality to best quality. It is a very frustrating printer and I cannot wait to save my money and buy from a different brand. Again, I’ve tested many Epson products, and even though they all perform sub-par, this one is the absolute worst. Please please save your money and save yourself from the headache I’ve dealt with for 2 YEARS (yeah I’ve only had it 2 years).

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

I use this printer occasionally, I don't have large print jobs but smaller ones. Every time I have installed ink cartridges in this printer, the print heads take over an hour and several passes to come clean. By the time I can begin using it the ink status indicator says I am out of ink. I use genuine Epson 200XL cartridges, not some knock off brand. Yesterday, September 3, 2018 I installed the ink cartridges and came up with nothing, not even the black would print. This is yet another garbage printer from Epson, a cheap throwaway. It isn't even worth the shipping package.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2018

EPSON WF-7720 PRINTER - Bought new April 2018. August 2018 started sending out crumpled paper. Called Epson... on phone an hour. Said they would replace it... with a REFURBISHED one only! Not happy, talked to corporate headquarters, no change... so I got a refurbished printer. Told me to PRINT out a shipping label... with a printer that didn't work. Tried to call FedEx, got no help. When new printer arrived there sat the shipping label in the box... could have saved myself much anguish had I known that & that FedEx would pick up old one so I didn't have to carry the 50-pound printer to another location. NONE of this was told to me on phone... so had to work all this out for myself thru the week.

Printer does work great although they sent two short paper trays so kept my long one... but uses a lot of ink & very expensive but then it all is & if you use generic ink it voids the warranty... which isn't much to begin with as it only lasts 30 days... & then you only get a refurbished one in return! And I have a feeling there will be more problems down the road, paper jams, nozzles needing cleaned with valuable ink, it is very sensitive also, very picky! Needed the two size paper trays so picked this particular one. Most don't have that option anymore. AT this point... only 4 months into owning one I'm not sure I'd buy another Epson... we will see!

Original review: Sept. 1, 2018

Software installation issues; Paper jams; Limited printing options; Ink supply depletes unreasonably fast; Horrible customer service (more than 4 hours of troubleshooting with Epson reps and NO resolution. I purchased this printer directly from Epson.com. The trouble occurred (and I contacted Epson) within the 30 day post-purchase time frame, yet they refuse to allow me to return it. A rep actually offered to replace a printer cartridge to resolve the paper jam problem and another rep offered to go through cleaning the nozzles for a printer software installation problem-REALLY EPSON?!

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

Purchased an Epson ET4550 July 2016. We were willing to pay more for the machine so we didn't have to replace expensive ink cartridges every few months. Lasted two years - only printing 1900 pages - and will not print color. Epson customer service stated it was a hardware issue and refused to offer assistance except a discount on a new printer from their website and emailing printer repair places in my area (that were over an hour away). They would honor a two year extended warranty only if I could send them an original Epson email sent when I registered the product. Not an original receipt, that I have, but their email. I do not save emails for two years. Then they stated that wouldn't matter anyway because the machine malfunctioned 2 weeks after any extended warranty would have been effect. Poor customer service, poorly made expensive product. More toxic materials headed to the trash. Do not buy.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

I have put a lot of time into maintaining this product. It is two years old and is not used very often, but is always unable to print in color. After multiple replacements of ink cartridges, I am unable to print anything in color. The pages have streaks down them so I am unable to use them. After spending hundreds on this printer and ink, I am never buying an Epson product again.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

We bought two of these for our non-profit back in June. Worst experience ever. The WF-2750 stopped working within two weeks of purchase. Consistently says that the black ink cartridge has been depleted. I replaced it (even though the new one had only been installed within days) and the new one doesn't register so for weeks we haven't been able to use that printer. With regard to the WF-3640. Same issue. Doesn't read the ink cartridges and these are all Epson brand cartridges. In addition to that, I keep getting a message to please close the scanner unit. I've done everything but break it from closing it so hard and so many times. Worst purchase ever.

Epson expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Epson, formally known as Seiko Epson Corporation, is a Japanese technology company known for producing high-quality printers. The company, which is headquartered in Shinjuku, was founded in 1942.

• Professional and amateur grade: Epson sells both professional imaging devices and amateur-grade printers, so it's a good option for a wide range of consumers.

• Award winning: Epson printers have won a slew of awards from places like PCMag.com, Computer Shopper, CRN and more.

• One-stop shop: Epson sells its own ink, paper and other accessories, so it's a convenient place for a shopper to buy all the necessary printing supplies at once.

• Specialized printers: Since Epson is a printing focused company, they offer more specialized printers than many other companies. One of the most popular specialized printers sold by Epson is its suite of label printers.

• Excellent all-in-one printers: The company is known for creating a line of high-quality all-in-one devices, and many of their devices can print, scan, fax and more.

• Best for: Large offices, homeowners with computers, photographers, students and schools.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs