Epson

Compare Printers

Research top Printers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

WF-2630 Printer - This is the worst piece of trash printer ever! Epson, via Office Depot, stole my money on this one. It's so absurd that I wouldn't even fight it to try to get a refund. It's super slow, doesn't recognize anything, runs out of ink every 12 seconds. I can't say enough bad things about this. I've had Epson products before, but this has completely turned me off of any other Epson product. I hope they go out of business, if they aren't already. Terrible. As a matter of fact, I have brick on the outside of my house. I'm going to take it and smash it on the brick wall. DO NOT BUY. DO NOT BUY. YOU WILL REGRET IT. The sales pitch is that the ink cartridges are a lot cheaper and you can just replace each color individually.

They don't tell you that the ink runs out after 10 pages of printing. And don't try to print in color. You might get 2 pages before it's skipping and the pages are smeared. It's just terrible. It's one of those products where you ask God to bless you with something else just for having to deal with this. Businesswise, we the consumers are the fools for buying it. But ethicswise, Epson should be completely ashamed - refund all purchases of this garbage, and put out a press release stating that this is the worst decision and piece of production they have ever had. I hate it. I'm going to throw mine against the brick wall now, and hope it smashes into 1,000 pieces.

Been a big fan of Epson Printers but no more... Last 3 has been crab and will never buy an Epson again. Simply spoken, a piece of **. Seems like that Epsons marketing is to sell ink cartridges and not printers that are reliable.

I purchased 3 printers from Epson within 2 years. Once I downloaded Windows 10 the printers are having hardware issues. Even though Epson knows that some of their printers are not compatible with Windows 10 they still sell them and refuse to accept responsibility. I will never purchase an Epson product again. Buyers beware.

Bought an Epson XP-235 and after the sample cartridges run in no time. I bought the set of Epson ink cartridges, placed them in, and started a 32 page print out, and after 10 pages it stopped! Then telling me that I should only use Epson cartridges...??? As I said, this is Epson cartridges that I bought and put in, and they was not cheap! So even now it will not print, not even just in black only. To me Epson is rubbish. I did notify Epson, and told them of my plight, and they thanked me for my comments. No help from them at all. Will have to look for another printer. BUT it will NOT be an Epson.

I am incredibly pissed off after have spoken to 3 representatives and 2 people on the Epson chat board. Printer: WorkForce WF-7620. All I am trying to do is take a 24x36 sheet, at 1/4 inch scale, and print it to half the scale so it prints on 12x18 - which would read as 1/8 inch scale. But every time I try, the scale isn't accurate, and all the representatives can't figure it out. All I want is my money back or a solution. As of right now, I don't have either. Very frustrated and am shocked that Epson has figured a solution. If you are an architect or designer, don't purchase this printer until this problem has been figured out.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Epson?

I had a problem installing a software update for my Epson WF5620 printer. Unable to find a solution on different web forums, I entered Epson customer support site. After completing a lengthy form, including the problem description, I get a screen stating that my e-mail has not been submitted and includes the possibility to view a few useless troubleshooting documents (wonder why they do not appear before!) or watch videos (which do not work) and... No way to send my e-mail. So much for a company who prides itself, and I am quoting Epson's site: "...committed to providing superior customer service..." Inferior customer service would be a better descriptor. Perhaps Kafka advised them how to set up the system. He certainly would be proud!

The worst brand experience I have ever encountered. Software set up is not downloading, so I basically purchased an ugly black box as a decor. The rude respond from their support was; "Try a faster internet." For the record my downloading speed is on 25.3 Mbps.

Purchased an Epson Printer XP-830 just 6 months ago. The color printing is now horrible, despite having cleaned the printer heads and nozzles several times. Spent much time on the phone with Epson (Warranty does NOT have a toll free number?) trying to resolve the issue. They are now going to send me a "refurbished" replacement. NOT at all happy with my experience with Epson! Never going to purchase an Epson printer again.

This is the biggest piece of junk rip off I've ever purchased. It prints 5 pages and runs out of ink. It is constantly having to be restarted to connect to my network. I'll never buy another Epson. I used to brag about my old Epson, that's why I didn't hesitate to buy this WP 2540 or even shop for another brand. Very sad that a company would let this happen.

Horrible printer, always having problems. I just returned from buying a color ink as printer would not let me print in black without it. NOW it wants the other colors replaced as well, still cannot print and I needed the document NOW. HORRIBLE.

We should all drive to where the Epson (Company) factory is and drop off all of these piece of junk printers (the traffic jam into the parking lot would be a sight). I had mine for a little over than a year. Paper jams and will not work. Had to buy a new printer, not Epson of course. These printers are rip offs!! They are so light, should have been an indication it was junk!!! They should sell them with a warning!! These printers are temporary fix if you need something printed.

I have been using Epson printers for years and have usually loved the quality. Recently I bought the WF-7620 and was excited to be able to utilize all of its features for my business. It took a few days to get the WIFI to communicate with my computer. Once I did get it to work everything was going well, but it eats through ink way too fast. I just replaced the Cyan yesterday afternoon, all the other colors showed they were still good (almost full). Between yesterday and today I printed about 50 sheets (white background, text was in color) and now it is saying that I need to replace all the ink including Cyan. This is ridiculous. What am I supposed to tell my clients? "I'm sorry, but due to having to buy ink pretty much every week I will have to raise my prices."

I have owned this Epson WF-4630 printer for a little over a year for home use and use a couple of times a week to print maybe 20 pages max. Suddenly it started printing only an 1/8 of a page and an Error code 0X97 appeared on screen saying to go to Epson.com. Apparently there is a motherboard problem with Epson printers and after a year of ownership they all break. I had owned another Epson before this one and thought if I bought more expensive model I would not have another printer that doesn't work. This should be flat out illegal fraud to design and sell a printer with known defects in the motherboard. I would not recommend anyone buy any Epson printer until they can develop a product with some longevity that actually works. This is not the first problem I have had with it.

I had a little problem with tech support. I received a call from a customer service rep. She apologized and made arrangements for me to receive a new printer and to return the old one. The new one came right on time and I had it up and running in under 10 minutes. I can't say enough about the great response I received from their rep. They really care about their customers.

Work Force 3640 Printers - I have had mine for only about 4 months with less than 250 pages copied or printed. The paper feeder will now only pull from the R side so it pulls paper in at an angle and jams the machine. Restarting it over and over per the screen directions does nothing to fix it. These things are very lightweight, cheaply made machines and unfortunately the working parts must be very cheap and lightweight also, to go bad so quickly. Who cares about warranty when you have to buy another printer while you wait 10-14 days or more to get it back from warranty repair. Maybe Epson's larger business machines are better quality but this unit, a mid-priced unit for home use, is basically disposable garbage.

I own an XP-400 and this machine eats ink so inconsistently. I literally replaced the black ink cartridge and in two day I need to replace it? Less than 200 sheets were printed! This machine is a money pit. Do not buy it!

This is the last Epson printer (after years and years) I will buy. The menu to change ink carts seems to change each time they update the software and continues to lead me in circles until, seemingly by accident, I press the right button. "Just because you can do it doesn't mean you should do it" seems to be especially applicable, and the Epson website doesn't seem to offer a way to ask for help or complain to the corporation. I've had it.

I have been dealing with Epson for approximately six months. I purchased an Epson Printer Online. I have had five Epson Printers shipped to me. Every printer failed. Epson Technical Support refuses to answer the phone. They put a two hundred fifty dollar hold on my Debit Card. Now I am stuck with all these broken printers.

I purchased ink for my new Epson XP-960 Printer on 5/13/2017 via Amazon. After waiting over a month for my ink, on 6/16/2017 I get an e-mail saying that the ink has again been delayed for possibly another month. Obviously not happy, I called Epson about 3 different times & got transferred to about 6 different people. Someone tells me that Epson Customer Relations will resolve this issue for me. I speak to the customer relations rep who tells me there's nothing he can do & they're working as fast as they can. He basically tells me that I'll get it in the near future. I now have a relatively new printer that I have not been able to use for over a month because Epson ran out of ink! This is both shocking & unacceptable.

I bought an Epson WF7620 all-in-one about 18 months ago. At first, I was very happy with the device. It did everything it was supposed to. I had no problems with WiFi, printing, copying, scanning, ADF, etc. Then after about 18 months I started to get smeared lines in the printouts. I tried all of the "fixes" recommended by the EPSON in the troubleshooting section of the users manual. Nothing succeeded in fixing it. I aligned heads, I cleaned heads, I disabled "fast print", etc. I went online to find out if anyone in the world had managed to find a workaround or a fix. It was at that point that I noticed a large number of complaints from owners about the same problem. People wrote that they struggled frustratingly with Epson to rectify the problem with no success.

Many people have had multiple printers replaced by Epson. This is apparently a case of the company knowing that the product had major problem but they never managed to correct it. A principal application for me is to print out leases. My tenants have this quirky desire to be able to read the document that they're signing, so in my case the printouts need to be completely legible. This printer does not print legible copies. So when you read a review online that says that this printer is garbage, you better believe it. This printer prints multiple lines per page that are smeared to the point where they are not legible. In spite of the fact that everything else on the all-in-one work fine, it is still useless to me. I'm going to get rid of it. Don't buy this printer.

This printer is an ink hog, and if one of the color cartridges runs out, it will not print in black and white! Left me in a huge bind when I had to print important documents. Also, it smears and streaks and is just generally a sub-par printer. Connection issues abound as well. Pretty much functionally useless! And no help from support - they say it was designed to not print in black and white if color cartridge was out! Worst printer ever!

WF-2630 ruins Epson's reputation. Almost on cue after the one-year warranty was over I was prompted for yet another firmware update which made the printer useless. First it claimed the genuine Epson black cartridge wasn't recognized and wouldn't print at all. Next after replacing the black cartridge it was quite possibly the worst printing I've ever seen a printer deliver. Obviously now there was a problem with the black print head. I tried cleaning repeatedly which afterwards I read often compounds the problem. I'm trying to figure out a solution and it dawns on me that it isn't me who should have the solution but Epson. Apparently Epson and I beg to differ. I thought I try one more new black cartridge and, horror of horrors, I just wasted that money as it actually seemed to make it worse. This printer is a total fail. Epson has put out one product that will do more to discourage me (as well as others which I can see) from ever buying an Epson again.

Just in two weeks it just stop working. I took it back to Walmart for them to offer me $13 dollars refund for this piece of junk. I simply refuse to ever buy from Epson again. Won't buy Workforce 610 XP-434 or anything that is related with Epson. What a piece of **.

I use Epson for 5 years for my business and this is the first time only problem we got. They said they have 1 year warranty but they don't accept it when we ask for repair and they keep saying our fax tone have problem. And I did call our ISP (and they already know it for the fax) and the ISP say that the fax have problem (it really is because I can use other machine to connect to the line without problem just this fax). Then now they told me to call again to my ISP. Now I got so mad because of this. NEVER BUY FROM THEM AGAIN.

Epson WF-7110 - Besides being much bulkier than I thought, WHEN it decides it wants to print, the quality is great. I hit print, it starts, stops, thinks awhile, sometimes it cancels the print, sometimes it prints. Just purchased in March 2017. It can't do a firmware update because 'it' downgraded itself so it can't be updated. Have tried all the things 'support' would have me do, shut it off, unplug it, uninstall, reinstall. No difference. Eats a lot of ink. Will NOT buy another one.

Epson WF 2650 - This thing eats ink cartridges! I put new ones in and after less than ~75 black and white copies it requires a new cartridge. The color is even worse. I do very little color printing yet this thing is always asking for new color cartridges. Yesterday it said I needed a black cartridge - and at the same time it said it needed a magenta cartridge. This whole thing has to be a scam on Epson's part to sell cartridges. I'm hoping to pursue this through the Federal Government agency that deals with unfair business practices. Anyone for a class action suit?

Purchased Ink cartridge for 3880 with manufacturing deficit. Epson phone bank employee: 1) Never said any form of "Sorry," 2) did not understand what I told him without my repeating it four or five times, 3) could not find my part in his system even though it is an extremely common one, 4) put me on hold for-ev-er, 5) would not respond to simple questions without intense cajoling, 5) seemed over all to have intelligence on par with a common lawn robin. What a nightmare... and I was calling and sending photos to help them locate THEIR problem!

I want to first start off with, if you're thinking about buying an Epson printer DO NOT, if you have then welcome to the club. I have an Epson XP-424 and it is hands down the worst printer I have ever had. I guess you get what you pay for, I think I bought the printer for $49... But I've had other cheap printers that have never gave me this much trouble. Now to make this review useful, I cannot for the life of me get the printer to print a nice clean page. I have cleaned the heads and did the alignment, but STILL nothing. It's not like the alignment part should be difficult, it goes in steps - each step the same.

Ok, so I do this... I print and what does my page look like? Still it is missing lines and words are missing, so maybe I did this wrong. NO I repeat EVERYTHING, clean heads and align because just maybe I didn't pick the right number. So to make a long story short, I do this 4-5 times and still it makes no difference and now I've wasted time, ink, and paper trying to get this piece of crap printer to print clearly.

Less than 8 months old Epson XP430 printer. Eats ink cartridges like a hungry dog. Will not print black with a new black cartridge. Wants a new black and one new color. Fixed the problem. Took it to the garage. One blow with a 8 pound sledge and frustration with this pile of you know whatever. Returning box of parts to Best Buy tomorrow.

I have come to the end of my level of tolerance for the Epson company. I have bought three printers from them in a year based on the reviews I read, however my experience has been extremely unsatisfied. Each printer I bought eventually stopped working after the error message I received when I went to change the ink. The message says "Cannot recognize the following ink cartridges". The same message has appeared on all three of my Epson printers every time I have changed the ink. I have only used Epson brand ink. I called customer support and their solution was that they would send me a new cartridge in 3-5 days. It's incredible to me that a company this large, which has had this many complaints with the same issue has no other solutions. I will never buy an Epson product again, and will inform other of Epson's extremely poor quality.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Epson, formally known as Seiko Epson Corporation, is a Japanese technology company known for producing high-quality printers. The company, which is headquartered in Shinjuku, was founded in 1942.

• Professional and amateur grade: Epson sells both professional imaging devices and amateur-grade printers, so it's a good option for a wide range of consumers.
  • Award winning: Epson printers have won a slew of awards from places like PCMag.com, Computer Shopper, CRN and more.
  • One-stop shop: Epson sells its own ink, paper and other accessories, so it's a convenient place for a shopper to buy all the necessary printing supplies at once.
  • Specialized printers: Since Epson is a printing focused company, they offer more specialized printers than many other companies. One of the most popular specialized printers sold by Epson is its suite of label printers.
  • Excellent all-in-one printers: The company is known for creating a line of high-quality all-in-one devices, and many of their devices can print, scan, fax and more.
  • Best for Large offices, homeowners with computers, photographers, students and schools.

Compare Printers