2.87/5

611 Epson Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

I have a problem with my Epson printer WF3720, eats black ink like a crazy, 3 inks, 30 pages printed. You cannot use 3th parity inks, you have to buy Epson's very expensive ones. I called customer service and they said they will fix my problem for $149.90, but my printer is couple of months old and still under warranty.

Never again Epson.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2018

I will NEVER buy an Epson product again! What a nightmare I’ve had with this company. I hope anyone who does has patience of steel, because you’re going to need it. I purchased an all in one printer from Office Depot a few months ago and it became faulty. After spending an hour on the phone with a support specialist who asked the same questions five times, and who obviously couldn’t troubleshoot it, they decided to send me a,”New” one. I had to pay a $197.00 deposit before they’d ship it. They sent another defective printer. Another hourly on the phone with an idiot just to realize it too was defective. NOW I had to sent two defective printers back! What a nightmare. Please be aware.

Get expert buying tips about Printers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

The Epson Et 2550, a rolling disaster of a so-called printer. AVOID at all costs, the wifi function is absolute garbage, faster to write everything out. The wifi is trash, with a range of about 10 feet, and the printer loses the entire wifi config everytime it loses connection...which can be achieved by simply shutting a door. It's the worst experience I have ever had in 30 years of computing, and I've owned 2 software companies... I have experience. Save yourself the trouble and avoid Epson at all costs.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

I followed all instructions per ** and **, and still cannot print with only my black cartridge when any of the other color cartridges are completely empty. Epson even says it on their website (**): "Even if you select Black/Grayscale or Grayscale, some color ink is still being used." How pathetic!

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

I had to replace an old HP printer so I bought an Epson WF-3640 all in one. It was the most miserable experience I had EVER had owning ANYTHING! From day one, the print quality was always bad. Whenever I tried to use it, I would inevitably spend more time cleaning and aligning the heads and maintaining the unit than I did actual print jobs! It was always running out of ink, even when sitting for a long time without printing. Needless to say, this is the LAST EPSON PRODUCT I WILL EVER OWN!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Epson?

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

I rarely, if ever, review things. But this printer is that bad. It has never printed more than one job (basic black and white documents) without the printer having problems. Paper jams constantly. Ink might last 50 pages if you're lucky. Buggy software updates that I have to then wire to my laptop and delete. If you are trying to train yourself in advanced anger management, try this printer. If not, buy any other printer on the planet.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

After updating firmware, printer sent "cartridge not recognized" message. Changed cartridges, same thing. I've now tried several brands of ink (all of which used to work) plus the oem ink. Nothing works. Unable to contact Epson from their site, which has several dead links. Chat not available. I've already wasted a day and a half trying to get the printer to work. Printer is now unusable and I don't feel like spending another $50+ for ink if it's an issue related to the firmware update.

People who own their own business cannot afford to waste this kind of time because someone screwed up the firmware! Will buy a different printer. Done with Epson!

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

Even though this printer is cheap, save your money and buy a different one. I don’t recommend the Epson printers at all, but especially not this one. It eats ink, no matter what setting it is on. The print lines will never be clear and gap-less regardless of how many times you align it. If you are using paper that’s of ANY kind, nothing will print 100% clearly on it. It says it’s wireless and it took me 4 days and 3 different specialists on the phone to set up the wireless aspect, and once I moved I had to do the entire process again.

No matter what you are trying to print, it will not be a clear or quality level image or text. Even if you do change the print quality to best quality. It is a very frustrating printer and I cannot wait to save my money and buy from a different brand. Again, I’ve tested many Epson products, and even though they all perform sub-par, this one is the absolute worst. Please please save your money and save yourself from the headache I’ve dealt with for 2 YEARS (yeah I’ve only had it 2 years).

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

I use this printer occasionally, I don't have large print jobs but smaller ones. Every time I have installed ink cartridges in this printer, the print heads take over an hour and several passes to come clean. By the time I can begin using it the ink status indicator says I am out of ink. I use genuine Epson 200XL cartridges, not some knock off brand. Yesterday, September 3, 2018 I installed the ink cartridges and came up with nothing, not even the black would print. This is yet another garbage printer from Epson, a cheap throwaway. It isn't even worth the shipping package.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2018

EPSON WF-7720 PRINTER - Bought new April 2018. August 2018 started sending out crumpled paper. Called Epson... on phone an hour. Said they would replace it... with a REFURBISHED one only! Not happy, talked to corporate headquarters, no change... so I got a refurbished printer. Told me to PRINT out a shipping label... with a printer that didn't work. Tried to call FedEx, got no help. When new printer arrived there sat the shipping label in the box... could have saved myself much anguish had I known that & that FedEx would pick up old one so I didn't have to carry the 50-pound printer to another location. NONE of this was told to me on phone... so had to work all this out for myself thru the week.

Printer does work great although they sent two short paper trays so kept my long one... but uses a lot of ink & very expensive but then it all is & if you use generic ink it voids the warranty... which isn't much to begin with as it only lasts 30 days... & then you only get a refurbished one in return! And I have a feeling there will be more problems down the road, paper jams, nozzles needing cleaned with valuable ink, it is very sensitive also, very picky! Needed the two size paper trays so picked this particular one. Most don't have that option anymore. AT this point... only 4 months into owning one I'm not sure I'd buy another Epson... we will see!

Original review: Sept. 1, 2018

Software installation issues; Paper jams; Limited printing options; Ink supply depletes unreasonably fast; Horrible customer service (more than 4 hours of troubleshooting with Epson reps and NO resolution. I purchased this printer directly from Epson.com. The trouble occurred (and I contacted Epson) within the 30 day post-purchase time frame, yet they refuse to allow me to return it. A rep actually offered to replace a printer cartridge to resolve the paper jam problem and another rep offered to go through cleaning the nozzles for a printer software installation problem-REALLY EPSON?!

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

Purchased an Epson ET4550 July 2016. We were willing to pay more for the machine so we didn't have to replace expensive ink cartridges every few months. Lasted two years - only printing 1900 pages - and will not print color. Epson customer service stated it was a hardware issue and refused to offer assistance except a discount on a new printer from their website and emailing printer repair places in my area (that were over an hour away). They would honor a two year extended warranty only if I could send them an original Epson email sent when I registered the product. Not an original receipt, that I have, but their email. I do not save emails for two years. Then they stated that wouldn't matter anyway because the machine malfunctioned 2 weeks after any extended warranty would have been effect. Poor customer service, poorly made expensive product. More toxic materials headed to the trash. Do not buy.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

I have put a lot of time into maintaining this product. It is two years old and is not used very often, but is always unable to print in color. After multiple replacements of ink cartridges, I am unable to print anything in color. The pages have streaks down them so I am unable to use them. After spending hundreds on this printer and ink, I am never buying an Epson product again.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

We bought two of these for our non-profit back in June. Worst experience ever. The WF-2750 stopped working within two weeks of purchase. Consistently says that the black ink cartridge has been depleted. I replaced it (even though the new one had only been installed within days) and the new one doesn't register so for weeks we haven't been able to use that printer. With regard to the WF-3640. Same issue. Doesn't read the ink cartridges and these are all Epson brand cartridges. In addition to that, I keep getting a message to please close the scanner unit. I've done everything but break it from closing it so hard and so many times. Worst purchase ever.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

At a price of over $200, this is the worst choice for a scanner/printer "all-in-one" wireless device. Our old Epson scanner (over 15 years old) is now obsolete, so I purchased this new Epson wireless all-in-one from Walmart and have been extremely disappointed in its performance for any of its uses, including scanning, printing and its poor wireless connectivity. Not only does the wireless feature rarely work (so I find myself trying to print a document with a USB cable running from the Epson to the laptop I'm dangerously balancing in one hand), the scanner often crashes on our new desktop, and the printer has only worked for the first set of photos we printed when we first purchased this unit.

When the ink ran out we replaced it with Epson ink cartridges and it has never printed anything except poor quality "test" pages or blank pages since. Epson was my favorite scanner up till now, and as far as a printer goes, I'm sorry I ever swayed from my favorite HP for my printing needs. Poor quality all the way around. Signed, Former service tech for a large corporation in Los Angeles.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

Epson SureColor P800 is a wide format inkjet printer to professional. A user also able to print from Photoshop. Quality of printers page is good and setup was easy. If you are interested to get more information about the printer so you can easily find us at **.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2018

After counter of printed pages reaches some number, printer (XP-820) locks itself with a message "ink pad reached the end of lifetime". They brazenly advise you to buy another one. Can you imagine your car stopped in the midst of a highway telling you that you have to buy another car? I am looking to file class action.

Original review: July 17, 2018

I had bought an Epson SureColor 400 as a backup printer but hadn't needed it for a while. After a bit over a year I opened the box to use it and nothing worked. No help from Epson because of when I bought it even though it was obviously never used! They were very polite in telling me I was just out of luck and should pay to get it fixed because "it's a nice printer". Well I tried and ended up spending a couple more hundred dollars for nothing from their recommended certified repair facility! NEVER AGAIN!

Original review: July 12, 2018

WARNING. BUYER BEWARE!!!! I was given a Epson Printer as a gift, worst gift ever due to the fact it never worked. For over an hour it kept getting a paper jam because the paper (standard 8/11 white printing paper) would not feed pass the first feed tray. However, I could manually feed paper through with the printer open, but of course that means I couldn't print. So I called tech support and John said that since I had followed all the steps for fixing a paper jam, including watching a video of someone do it, that he needed to check the warranty. Since it was a gift, of course it was out of warranty and of course there was no convenient service location.

BIGGEST PROBLEM I EVER HAD WITH A PRINTER WAS TRYING TO UNINSTALL THE EPSON PRINTER AND DRIVER. It took me another hour and half during different thing to I personally discovered that the printer had to be turned and plugged into my laptop for Epson to be uninstalled. Now tech support should have told me this over the phone when we discussed that I needed to get a new printer. I should not have had to search for the answer on my own. This is why I stay with HP and DELL, easy setup and removal if needed.

Yes, I understand all printers have programs, but not all printer problems take 2 1/2 hours to fix. The home business printer was harder to fix and remove from the computers than any other printer company that I have used. So if you choose to spend your dollars and coins on Epson you have been be forewarned that their tech support is bad and don't forget to keep everything on before you uninstall or it won't be done. If printer problem is no power, I guess you will out of luck get it uninstalled.

Original review: June 22, 2018

I would not recommend buying Epson brand printers. If you read reviews they are always clogged and will not print a particular color. I’m currently experiencing problems printing black. You would think as much as this brand cost you wouldn’t have a issue. Better off buying a cheap printer and replacing it. Epson cost too much for what you have to deal with!!

Original review: June 19, 2018

Selling a product without the key to unlock after the warranty expires. Same as selling an automobile without the keys, operates until it reaches the out of warranty time locking the owner out being subjected to take to one of its service places holding the keys. Failure for the owner to repair his own purchased property (Printer ET2550). The law has already been argued and ruled, is mandatory to make parts available to consumer for 10 years after a major product is no longer produced. Epson has broken the law, including lemon law. Has to refund the cost.

Original review: June 13, 2018

Epson 820 cartridges - forced replacement: I was looking for the simplest desktop printer I could find as I use the printer very infrequently. Set up was reasonable verging towards difficult. What infuriated me was that after several months it declared that the cartridges were empty, which of course they weren't. Having replaced them and used very occasionally in the course of the next few months the printer then threw up an error (0x81 if I remember correctly). This led me down a path of various website scams and attempts to update the software. Eventually discovered it was just a paper jam! Why on earth couldn't they say that?

Print quality was lousy so went through the setup process, cleaned heads etc. Print quality improved somewhat and It reported ink cartridges fine. I reseated them anyway. Guess what?!? It is now telling me again that I should replace the cartridges and refuses to proceed. I am absolutely infuriated with the time I have spent trying to use this product over the past year. I will NEVER buy another Epson product as long as I live!

Original review: June 11, 2018

O man where to begin? Well is you already know all printers have problems. All printers are very special at that where you always have to call customer service. But here is the problem with Epson. They have hire a bunch of sassy girls that feel that they are better than you have they will treat you that way. I have call 12 time at this point for one little problem that it can be solve really easily, but guess what? These girls turn this little problem in to a huge problem and you waste like 1 hour doing a bunch stuff and guess what, your problem was never fix, and why you may ask well at this point is everyone else and one thing they always make sure is that you feel dumb and you tell them things like maybe the problem is x or y but they remind you that you are dumb and they are the expert and you are just a person, well two hours later guess what the problem was. It was (x). I have been saying that for two hours but they don't listen. Worst customer service ever.

Original review: June 11, 2018

Besides being the very loudest printer (2750 Series) I've ever owned, I absolutely am disgusted by a copy/machine that holds your print jobs hostage because a unnecessary color cartridge is empty. Here I am 11:00 PM with a morning deadline and unable to print a B&W copy I need because the printer wants a magenta color cartridge. Buying a new printer and it won't be because this printer broke and it won't be an Epson.

Original review: June 3, 2018

I bought Epson wf 3640 June last year from Target, paid cash and did not keep the receipt. Now less than a year printer stopped working and Epson would not take a responsibility and I lost $300 buying this junk. I did some research and many people having the same problem especially with error code 97. Be aware of this company when you need a printer.

Original review: June 2, 2018

I don't like it when the Epson printer runs out of a color ink and it won't let you print, even if only in black and white, but the black ink is fine.

Original review: June 2, 2018

I recently purchased Epson XP-830 to replace a previous Epson printer. I sincerely love the printer. I appreciate the fact that it uses separate ink cartridges for each color. Copies are sharp and color photos are outstanding. I have used several brands of printers, but feel Epson provides the best quality.

Original review: June 2, 2018

Epson is difficult to operate. Had to reinstall drivers download the icon unplug & restart computer many times. Complicated unless you use the machine every day. Not user friendly.

Original review: June 1, 2018

The Epson ink cartridges are costly and even if you only print black and white, you still need the color cartridges or else it won't print right. That's the downfall.

Original review: June 1, 2018

The color isn't very defined... Plus it runs out of ink too often. Would not recommend you purchase a Epson printer. The ink is hard to find also. I like Canon much better.

Epson expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Epson, formally known as Seiko Epson Corporation, is a Japanese technology company known for producing high-quality printers. The company, which is headquartered in Shinjuku, was founded in 1942.

• Professional and amateur grade: Epson sells both professional imaging devices and amateur-grade printers, so it's a good option for a wide range of consumers.

• Award winning: Epson printers have won a slew of awards from places like PCMag.com, Computer Shopper, CRN and more.

• One-stop shop: Epson sells its own ink, paper and other accessories, so it's a convenient place for a shopper to buy all the necessary printing supplies at once.

• Specialized printers: Since Epson is a printing focused company, they offer more specialized printers than many other companies. One of the most popular specialized printers sold by Epson is its suite of label printers.

• Excellent all-in-one printers: The company is known for creating a line of high-quality all-in-one devices, and many of their devices can print, scan, fax and more.

• Best for: Large offices, homeowners with computers, photographers, students and schools.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs