1.14/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

4409 Dell Customer Service Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

Ordered toner I needed for work with expedited shipping. Received three emails that I would receive the next day. Did not receive, order did not track, was promised by supervisor I would receive the following day. Following day order still did not track. Now I was told their logistics department needs to find the toner then they will resend order may take 24 to 48 hrs to ship. I told them I needed a refund. They told me it will take 3 to 5 days. Great job Dell!!

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

I purchased a new Notebook Inspiron 7570 from Dell.com, They send a defective laptop and after spending hours on call with them, one technician told me that either it will be motherboard issue or battery issue, then after insisting them to replace the laptop, they sent a replacement laptop with defective touchpad and again after spending a week they finally sent a technician to my place and he replaced a touchpad and told me to return the laptop if possible as on replace touchpad we cannot distinguish the tap and click. looks like Dell don't care quality of their product. And when I asked to replace the second laptop they told me that my one month return policy ended and they cannot replace the laptop and neither I can return it. The only option I am left with is to take this defective laptop and send it to their depot for repair or trash it.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

I have spent 2 hour on 4 different occasions with this laptop. It was running extremely slow and the touch-pad was unresponsive. After failed attempts to fix it, they did a reset that deleted all programs that were added after purchase. A technician explained the problem was the motherboard and you can hear it struggling. Replacing it is not an option and I have lost patience with inconvenient tech support hours that consume 2 hrs at a time with no irresolution. By reading so many complaints with the same outcome, it's apparent that Dell doesn't care.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

For a company which has 24/7 sales support and online purchasing but to only have Customer Service support Monday to Friday, 7am to 7pm (CST) is unacceptable. I have an order in place and tried to call customer service several times during this limited timeframe and waited online for over 30 minutes and then selected to get a callback. Callback never occurred! I then send an e-mail and get a reply with a link to check on the status of the support request. Check the link after not hearing back and find out the support request has not been assigned yet, so I can on Saturday morning. The message states they are closed and hangs up. NO MESSAGE about their hours or when to call back and the original e-mail also states nothing about the limited Customer Service hours!!!

I have a timely Customer Service request and will have to wait till Monday now. By the time Monday arrives the special sale I want to take advantage of will have come and gone. A company that takes orders and sells 24/7 should have Customer Service in place 24/7 as well. I wanted to cancel my order to take advantage of a sale and promotions now occurring. The reason for this. Ordered an Alienware 17R5. It arrived defective, a replacement was setup, the replacement arrived defective as well!!! I had to pay significantly more to order again and wanted to reduce this cost.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

Dealing with DELL customer service has been a terrible experience. Here's my story: I have a DELL XPS 13 9350 ultrabook. The battery has died after only 18 months after purchase (out of warranty). Even though it is out of warranty, I am outraged that the battery on a $1,500 laptop would die after only 18 months (under regular office conditions). It not only died, it got so bloated that it actually damaged the mouse trackpad and laptop plastic a little.

After being told that I would have to buy a new battery for over $100, which is additional to the $100 I had to pay a local tech store to take the previous one out and fix the trackpad (I would have expected that a decent company would take responsibility for the crappy battery), I've been waiting for my new battery for almost a month and a half. Order status says it will ship next week and then it keeps changing to next week all the time for 6 weeks now. When I call customer support they told me that they just don't know when it will ship so I can wait or cancel the order and find the battery somewhere else. In summary, terrible experience, definitely my last DELL product EVER. Not only do they use sub-par component's but they will not own up to it and then, after I pay for the replacement they keep me waiting for so long.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dell?

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

Dell 5559 Core i5 (6th Gen) - This was the first laptop I bought online and I was very apprehensive at first. But it was a good deal and I decided to go for it. It's been a couple of months now since I got it and I decided to put it through its paces before I put a review. The laptop performs very well. No problems so far. I don't game at all so cannot comment on that. It handles typical computing work quite easily: email, browsing, Word, Excel, etc. Videos play nicely and the display is quite good and vibrant. All in all a very good machine. But the same thing can't be said of the packaging.

The package arrived half torn and half open and my heart sank, thinking that the laptop wouldn't have survived such a beating. But after a few days, I am facing a battery issue. For that, I found a website from Google that is https://customer-helpnumber.us/dell-support-usa.html. I visited on that website and call on the given number. In a 1 hour, they solve my battery issue.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

Email to our Rep goes unanswered. Called our rep and had to help him find the service tag model & info. Given new rep but they never return email or calls. Called CS. Disconnected 3 times, transferred 5.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

I have placed a part order for my XPS Laptop, the address they have is old and wrong. It took more than one hour to argue with five different agents to change the address, they still refused to change it. Dell Corp decided to go by India complication old system. The entire system looks like fourth country last century procedures. I will never deal with Dell in any shape and manners. Simply put it; they suck big time. I feel like living and dealing with Company outside the USA unbearable bureaucracy and obstacles to make it hard on customers without any simplified solution. They are doing a great job making customers run away from Dell. Keep up your miserable indecent treatments.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2018

I bought Dell XPS 13 2 in 1 model and it has crackling sound in speakers, headphones, external speakers... Everywhere. This is potentially due to CPU and memory issue and driver reinstallation didn't help. I replaced it and got new laptop on 4th day and guess what I got new product after long wait but the new laptop has exactly the same problem! I think Dell knows about this issue and still just selling their faulty products in huge amount it is not worth for and that is why they shut down 2 in 1 model and launched new XPS. Seriously, this product is like buying a garbage in 2500 dollars. What is the use of 4k screen if you can't listen anything properly? I lost my money and still struggling to refund my money. I will buy Mac now, can't trust Dell anymore.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2018

Contacted Dell via online text...trying to get a replacement battery for the XPS13 - 9350. Was told the battery was no longer in stock and not sure if they ever would get them. My laptop is shy of 2 yrs old. Tried to sell me an $80 battery backup. I asked for the battery # so I could purchase a compatible one from another site. Long back and forth before customer service told me to buy the JHXPY - but I had to ask for a supervisor. Incredible that batteries are not stocked and customers are given a very hard time to get necessary info. I guess they hope people would give up and buy another product from them. Shame on Dell. They just lost a loyal customer.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

I've only had Dell desktop computers, but never again! My computer is just a few years old and my paid extended warranty expired. I see that there are 4 updates that I can't get unless I buy another extended warranty for one of two prices...either $239 for 1 year or $139 for a one-time fix. Why do that when there will continue to be updates. Whenever my computer goes down I'll definitely go to a different manufacturer.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

I have been a loyal Dell customer for over 20 years. My recent experience was so bad I am seriously thinking of going elsewhere. No one is interested in customer service and no one listens to the customer. I specifically stated I needed the order in 1-2 weeks. They processed and sent me a confirmation for shipment in 3 months. I canceled the order and asked for the rep to contact me. No response. Then called Dell to speak to someone else. They would only transfer me to the original rep even though I asked to be transferred to their manager. After a 3rd call I was able to connect with someone that actually listened and processed the order. Absolutely crazy that it took a week to place an order that should have been complete in 20 minutes.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

Bought a Dell laptop. It crashed and took a couple of weeks to repair. Now the USB adapter cable no longer works and despite the fact that I'm under warranty, they won't send me a new one without me sending my whole computer in so they can waste even more of their own time and money to diagnose the obvious. After 30 minutes with the service rep who wanted me to download chipsets, which I did (yeah... That's going to fix the problem) I just hung up. I'm going to buy a new USB adapter cable because Dell is too incompetent to just put something in the mail that costs them $5.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2018

Terrible customer service! My brand new computer (Inspiron 13 7378) stopped working with less than 1 year of very light use. I sent it to Dell to be fixed and they lost it. They first denied my claim and said I never sent it to them, but when I showed them a screen grab of the FedEx tracking that says it was sent, they agreed to give me a refurbished computer. I called to request a free extension on my warranty, since I now have this unknown unit. They passed me around to 6 different people for over an hour (technical to customer care to technical again to customer care again to technical again to out-of-service warranty). They ignored my requests to speak to a supervisor (at least 4 times). One customer care member said he was transferring me to a supervisor, but instead sent me back to technical. And eventually, they hung up on me and did not call back.

Only one person was able to even explain why they didn't want to fulfill my request. (It's not part of their regular policy--I think there is always an exception to a policy with the right circumstances, but even if they can't help me, why did I have to speak to 7 different people to find out?) I asked for details about the warranty before I received the refurbished unit and was told that I would have to call Customer Care after I received it. If the type of warranty is a policy, as they claim, I should have been able to be informed of it before I accepted the replacement.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

Purchased laptop for mom as Christmas present, Runs extremely slow. After 9 months of calling and escalating, all I got was a you're SOL. They talk to you like you're stupid and everything is your fault. BEWARE.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

I got a Dell because it's supposed to be one of the best... yeah right! The first problem was when I ordered it, it never came because they were out of the model I ordered. I had to reorder. Then nothing but problems. Every week it's something new. I will never buy from this company again. Ever!! It's always something. The people in customer service and tech are all stupid and robotic. They read from a script and repair your computer from a book. I am heartbroken. I am sickened. I am angry. This is a 2000 dollar computer. I can't use it properly. I am so upset.

Btw Dell does not give a rats you know what about its customers. They just don't care. And I have the premium customer package. It is not premium. I wonder what regular customer service is like. I am looking into a class action lawsuit if anyone is interested. I hate Dell! I wish there was an option for a 0 star... Do not buy from Dell. You will be scammed. Dell you lost a customer for good. And the funny thing is I was going to buy a laptop and a couple of other things. Glad I didn't!

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

I bought desktop 3-5 years ago from Dell and it was working until last night and it stops. So with computer I received USB stick for Recovery and stuff, and I used that stick last night to recover my Comp. But today it keep asking for a Product Key which I did not received in package. I call "Customer Service" (they are worthless) that after few people and lot of frustration last one tell me that I have to pay for a New Key. Please be smart people. Do not buy from Dell. They are cheaters.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

Clearly this Dell Customer Support Department has been farmed out to a third party in India, as all respondents have the same robotic answers and absolutely no authority to resolve anything, in particular warranty issues. Long story short, I bought my laptop (Dell Inspiron 5000 Series) at Office Depot on Feb. 2, 2018. It had been a floor sample, and I bought it to save some money. What I didn't know is that Office Depot had received and bought the computer from Dell in January 2016, and so by the time I bought it, the computer was 3 years old. Ergo, all warranties by Dell had lapsed. I called Customer "Support" to ask that the Dell warranty start at the time of my purchase as the final consumer, which they absolutely refused to do, claiming that my purchase from Office Depot was a matter between them and me.

In any case they (Dell) allegedly have an agreement with Office Depot and other distributors that all computers need to be sold within 15 months or returned to them. Since this did not happen in this case, technically Office Depot is in breach of its agreement with Dell, but Dell has no interest in pursuing the matter further. The "support" staff at Dell kept telling me to take the matter up with Office Depot, which left me exactly where I was before spending 1 hour with them on the phone to India. What a waste of time! From reading other reviews, my experience is hardly unique with Dell Customer Support. Never again will I buy a Dell computer!!

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

This Dell Inspiron laptop is so frustrating, it is slow, sometimes I cannot even shut it down properly. I bought it to replace an RCA Galileo Pro which had its own problems, but this is even worse than that one. I called customer service, they did a 2 minute diagnostic which they say was inconclusive and was going to do a longer one, well a few minutes into that one the tech said it would take too long for him to stay on the line and abruptly ended the call leaving me stranded with no results. I am pulling the plug on this piece of junk and will never buy a Dell again ever. Sometimes it takes as long as a minute to go from one website to another. Do not ever buy a Dell, by the way only 30 day warranty.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

I received a laptop that was set up incorrectly. The drives are completely messed up to the point where the operating system cannot update. This was an expensive and brand new laptop and Dell customer support is trying to tell me that I have to pay to fix this issue. I have spoken (by means of continually being transferred) to easily 25 people in only a few calls. I will NEVER buy a Dell again. Customer service is absolutely horrible and obviously the computer is total crap! The computer is not even three months old!

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

Microsoft Win 10 is a mobile app not an operating system. Anything with an airplane is for a cell phone. I was on the development team for Microsoft and tested Windows 10 and with a Dell computers. Not a good mix. It's turns into spyware. I have a lot to say about Dell because I have 3 computers that are registered to other people and they want me to pay to get the issue fixed except the one that is under warranty but if I send it back they have all my private information and the motherboard which has it embedded into it and the other people that are saving everything of mine. The name is Gorilla Circuits. They manufacture all motherboards for Dell and they just change them a little for each company that wants to sell motherboards and the more they mess with me and my wife the more I review.

And these are not people from the United States. They are from India and the Philippines. Polite but they have to learn more about customer service. I was hung up on after a 20 minute wait and had to wait another 10. These are honest reviews. I have an network issue and Dell, Microsoft and a couple more companies are involved. I never let them on my network. I think the privacy issue is McAfee antivirus that Dell uses. McAfee reviews their own site. One of my friends used to answer phones at home for them. I have a feeling they are giving me junk back. This machine is heavy duty and the last computer I sent back I had to send it back again.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

Screen had a small damage, took 2 hours just to get a hold of someone with barely comprehensible English. Said I needed to pay 50$ to get the screen shipped and fixed. When it was sent back to me, the screen still did not work. They said they couldn't fix it and they took my brand new battery of 3 months and put in a defective battery. Straight up got finessed, I called them and they said they did not know anything about it (could barely understand them again). Stole 50$, did not fix screen, and stole my battery. Never buying from this company ever again in my life.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

My experience with their customer service has always been awful. They never try to work out a situation, or try to give me a great experience, no matter the situation or person. This time, I called Dell Support since I received a phone call saying I would be getting a refund on my warranty (a warranty that Dell made me purchase - a whole OTHER story) since Dell apparently had a bug in their software. After calling Dell and being transferred 5 separate times, I was finally transferred to the scam and fraud portion of Dell.

At this time, I was very frustrated and confused as to why this person calling me knew ALL of my information that Dell had, and I politely explained this to the woman, who said her name was Janie. She refused to offer any explanation or show any empathy, so I asked for a Supervisor since Janie was of no help. She would pause, say she didn't have a supervisor, so I asked to speak to someone above her, she said there was no one, so I asked if there was anyone to speak to, to which she simply replied, "Yes, my supervisor". At this point, I felt as if she was just stringing me along, so I asked for his/her name and to be transferred over, but she said she would not do that to me.

After some more arguing, I finally requested to have her supervisor call me back, and I gave her my information. The reason I am writing this review was in spite of this rude employee, who refused to help me or acknowledge my issue, and would not allow me to speak to anyone else. I work in an environment where customer service makes a company, and I have to say, with my past experiences with Dell, I can 100% say that their service and company is the worst. This time, it was just the icing on the cake. I have never dealt with a woman such as Janie, and if I ever get transferred to her again, hopefully she will be more helpful or ask to be transferred elsewhere. Hopefully, her supervisor sees this and can properly train her on customer service, as she has none. At this point, I am not sure what to even do; I'll just hope the supervisor calls me back so this issue can be resolved.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2018

I originally purchased a Dell computer and it had to be replaced. They send refurbished trash. Open it up and check out the components. The performance of their XPS models is mediocre and plagued with problems: start times, operational speed, bloated, inability to start, poor built in troubleshooting. I can’t even blame Microsoft at this point, which I would love to do but I’m afraid Dell is at fault. The specs might indicate what should be top notch performance for audio editing, working in after effects etc. but believe me, they are not.

Please just get a MacBook and pay the premium over the Dell. I regret every day that I made the mistake of buying this computer; an extremely expensive mistake. Especially, if you need a solid machine if your work involves multimedia, editing, and so on. Right now I have a $2400 paperweight that at best is able to browse the internet... just don’t open more than five tabs. Do your research, ask friends about experiences, etc. Good luck and I sincerely hope if you buy one that your experience is not like what I’ve been dealing with.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

I purchased a Dell Inspiron 24 3000 all in one on 6/30/18, On 7/29/18 I got a notice to update my computer. After I updated the computer it began to run slow. Start up was slow and videos began to freeze up/I contacted Dell support. I spoke to someone with broken English. I told him what the problem was. He told me to shut the computer off. He then told me to hold the Fn key down and hit the power key. I told him I can't do that because the computer is off and I can't hit the power button. He then transferred me to the software dept. where another broken English person told me it's a software problem and it would cost $200.00 to fix. I said, "I'm not paying that."

I then called Best Buy, where I purchased the computer. I explained to them what happened. They told me to bring the computer to them {they are over an hour away} and they will fix it with no charge. They performed tests on it. They said it was a software problem and it would cost $200.00 to fix. They said it was caused by me updating the computer. They said a virus must have got in while I was updating it. They said I had 2 options. They could fix it or I could send it in to Dell. I said I have the computer here so I told them to fix it.

Now we are without a computer for a couple days and we are out $200.00. We paid $763.17 for this computer plus $40.00 to Best Buy to set up the computer, so all we had to do is bring the computer home and plug it in. I usually don't buy new computers. The last computers we had, we bought at a university trash to treasure sale for $60,00 a piece, we had those computers for several years, This computer we had for 1 Month and it's broke. How can a well known company sell poor quality junk. This computer was to have supposed to have everything on it to fix itself. It also had anti-virus protection and nothing worked.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

I wish I had read these reviews before buying a Dell. I bought the XPS13 laptop in March 2018 and 98 days later the battery died. I was told my warranty was 90 days and when I finally found time to call in I was at 104 days - so I did not qualify to have my laptop replaced, I would have to mail it in to get it repaired. I sent my laptop in, only to get an email from Dell saying "The part(s) needed to repair your system are not currently in stock." How can they not have a battery in stock?

I called "Customer Support" and have been transferred between Philippines to India and back, my request to be transferred to a USA Support number are ignored, and no one is able to help or let me know what timing for repair is. So right now my $1,400 laptop that I need for work is who knows where, I have no way to get it fixed and no way to get it back. And no Customer Service/Support/Retention Department on this continent to call to get answers or assistance. This company is highway robbery, I'll probably never see my broken-from-the-start $1,400 laptop again. DO NOT BUY DELL!!! I repeat - DO NOT BUY DELL!!!

Original review: July 26, 2018

My Dell battery is bad - laptop out of warranty. But because they've had issues with batteries, it has to be replaced at no expense to me. I called on Monday to have someone come out to my business to replace. They said it would take 3-5 business days and I should receive a call to set up a time. Well, on the fourth day I decided to follow up - have not heard from anyone. I called (all operators are in India and I can't understand half of what they're saying). I try to be patient, but it's exhausting. They said that somehow my report or service request was canceled due to a technical issue! Are you kidding me?

Then they say they have to write up another and it will take another 3-5 business days to set this up. I told them that if something happens to my computer before then, they are completely responsible. Now I have to wait for a supervisor to call because there is a problem with creating another service request! Seriously? This company is a complete joke and they do not care whatsoever about their customers. I have been a Dell customer for many years, but now switching. THIS IS BEYOND RIDICULOUS! If you can avoid buying a Dell, please consider another computer company - one that cares about its customers.

Original review: July 24, 2018

Bought a new Dell computer on Amazon. In less than 9 months, the computer stopped working because of what appears to be a memory issue. Can't get support by phone. Each time I call, they give me the runaround. They claim the product is from Canada and they can't help. Can't easily find an email address to follow up. This really bites. Avoid buying Dell. Their customer service is the worst.

Original review: July 20, 2018

Sometimes I try to call Dell official number but that can't pick on the internet. I found that number. They solve my each and every query instantly, if you also want to get instant help or Dell tech support then please call on 1-855-254-6999 toll-free. Also visit on website https://customer-helpnumber.us/dell-support-usa.html.

Original review: July 19, 2018

Below are 2 emails sent to Dell Sales with NO REPLY. From what others have posted here, Dell is such a large company they could care less about the consumer who only purchases couple of computers in their lifetime. Sure wish we the consumers could reach out further than here at Consumers Affairs to make our complaints known about DELL Products.

"On May 10, 2018 I purchased a Dell Inspiron All In One Desktop from my local Staples. It appears to be a model i3464-7403BLK. When I open Dell Support Assist there is a number 3464 A10, Service Tag FDMOYH2. It pisses me off that day one when setting up the computer the Bluetooth Software DID NOT work when trying to pair my Speakers even though all systems indicated they were paired. Next problem my CD/DVD Player DID NOT WORK. Third problem computer took over 2 minutes to boot up.

I have contacted Technical Support 3 times for which 1st time the tech was able to fix the paring of my speakers. Several days later when trying to use same, NOTHING even though everything indicated they were paired. It was then that I also said the CD/DVD player did not work and the LONG TIME it took for computer to boot up. After many minutes the tech was able to fix problem with CD/DVD Player & long boot time. As for the speaker problem he said he was at a loss as to why they did not work and transferred me to another tech. Bottom line here was the tech said Dell DID NOT WARRANTY SOFTWARE problems but I could purchase different plans to cover same. COMPLETE ** on DELL'S part.

Further I have the Dell Support Assist program installed and today it reminded me I needed to run a scan. When doing so and when complete my Malwarebytes NOT OPERABLE. THIS IS NOT ACCEPTABLE!!!! Too when trying to locate a method to locate a DELL REPRESENTATIVE IN AMERICA AND NOT IN ** INDIA, I was prompted to input my service tag. Reply was not valid and I had to load Dell SUPPORT ASSIST when it is already installed. I can not believe the crap I am having to put up with this computer. My last 4 Dells never gave me fits. Bottom line I probably will not hear back from an American Speaking person and have to put up with a $900.00 piece of Electronic JUNK!!!"

Further to the email I sent. LOOKS LIKE I have a legitimate complaint about the Bluetooth Software NOT WORKING and should be fixed under the following warranty from your own warranty policy. (Dell warrants that the Software media (if applicable) will be free from defects in materials and workmanship under normal use for 90 days from the date you receive them. This warranty is limited to you and is not transferable. Any implied warranties are limited to 90 days from the date you receive the Software) I don't appreciate that the last tech person I spoke with and his arrogant manner said DELL DOES NOT WARRANTY SOFTWARE and tries to sell me an overpriced protection plan. I want to know where I can take this piece of semi nonworking computer to explain/show what is wrong with it and have it repaired. PERIOD!!!!

Dell Customer Service Company Information