Learn More
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.01/5

Dell was founded in the early 1980s and was a pioneer in the home computer and technology industry. It has been a leader in high-tech computers, monitors, workstations, tablets, printers and laptops for decades.

Dell Laptops Learn More

Dell Laptops Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dell Laptops?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dell Laptops?

Original review: Oct. 20, 2020

I ordered a laptop from Dell on 08/04/2020. First laptop had a malfunctioning mouse pad so dell set up an exchange. On arrival of the second laptop it showed issues with the screen. I called dell and said I have to make a warranty claim. After explaining that I shouldn't have to make a warranty claim when the laptop was defective. They then stated in a stern voice this is the last exchange. On 10/19/2020 I receive an email stating they're going to send me a replacement laptop with a downgraded processor (I paid for i7 8core they are sending me a i7 6 core). It's been 3 months of back and forth and distress. The laptop was for work and I had to borrow a friend's every day because dell failed to give me a working reliable product or my money back. I have been taken for $2200 and unfortunately there is nothing I can do even with my records and email correspondences. This had been the most stressful and hard time with everything going on.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2020

I purchased a laptop for my daughter in late July. She needed a laptop for online classes set to begin after Labor Day. It was supposed to arrive in mid-August. It got delayed to end of August due to a lack of parts disruption due to the Covid pandemic. The Sales support person I spoke to assured me that it will ship in late August, in time for School. Then, a day before the shopping date, it got delayed to end of September! Then again to mid-October. I called them today, and was told that I should cancel the order since it will get delayed yet again! Really!? This is how you treat your customers? After owning three Dell computers, I will NEVER buy Dell again. This kind of dishonesty is sure to pervade all levels of this company.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2020

Dell know they have a faulty battery, they've brought out a replacement! Yet they won't do anything if you tell them a nanosecond after the 12 month warranty. Do NOT buy DELL, their batteries are known by them to be defective. CS were totally useless.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2020

Stay away from DELL! I never thought I would ever say this as I have bought Dell for a few years (from Costco). But, this last 2 weeks have been a nightmare. I purchased a 2 in 1 laptop from Dell website on Sept 14th that was and still is advertised on Dell's website as "In stock and ready to ship." My ship date was for 7 days (Sept 22, 2020)... Each day after the order the shipping date was changed/updated to further in time to the point that we were 2 weeks away. Finally, their customer service (In India) tells me after a 5th date change that they cannot give me a date! This is after nearly a week of having my money (which was actually taken out of my checking account and not "a hold put on that amount").

Now they tell me (again from India) that they never took the $1500! I am hoping no big war with them involving lawyers to get ALL of my money back. This is ridiculous and FRAUD! If Dell doesn't have the products then DON'T ADVERTISE THEM AS READY TO SHIP! Tell me I have to wait a month or 2... as opposed to MISLEADING ME WITH FALSE STATEMENTS & PROMISES. I have never been so disappointed in a brand I thought I knew. The Dell customer service has been one big nightmare. Will update my post if they do give me my money back. But, I strongly advise at this point DO NOT BUY DELL (at least for Canada)!

So to update... I managed to FINALLY cancel my constantly delayed order from Dell and get my money back (a waste of 10 days of my time and money). Then, 2 days later, Jane from Dell from India calls me to ask if I want to rebuy the same model and promised to get it to me in 5 days. She PROMISED I would have it within 5 days as it was in stock, she claimed. I decided to give Dell 1 more chance and stupidly said OK. Well, the 5 days passed and the same thing again... Delayed. The item hadn't even shipped! So, Dell again misled me.

The model finally came 9 days later (after purchase). ONLY to arrive from Purolator (Canada's worst courier) badly damaged! The box was literally bent like a bow as if it had been run over by a Jeep and the computer inside (badly packaged) had been bouncing around unsecured for 10 days! You DO NOT WANT THIS with any hi tech device. When I opened the box up, the laptop was bent/warped. I was shocked. Here I am 3 weeks after my 1st order with DELL's delay after delay and now they send me a damaged/warped laptop. This is DELL quality? I contacted Dell via Facebook to explain what has happened and sent photos. After 3 days of back and forth messaging them, Dell finally agreed to replace the item (which would take weeks no doubt).

At this point, they have wasted weeks of my valuable time and money (I am an executive and have much better things to to with my valuable time). Thus I expected DELL to offer some sort of restitution for all of the trouble, weeks of time waste, and headaches they have caused me. So, I asked for a simple upgrade of the same model (only about a $400 difference). I was shocked when DELL REFUSED outright! So, DELL wastes 3 weeks of my time, gives false delivery promises, sends a bad product to me, wastes my time having to chase them to sort it out, and they won't even offer a cheap free upgrade? So obviously to DELL the waste of my time, stress and headaches they have put me through mean nothing! Wonderful DELL customer service! Not even an apology!

Now they tell me it will take 2-3 weeks to waste MORE of my time and inconvenience arranging to get the item picked up and my money back! What an awful, customer disrespecting brand DELL is! NEVER BUY DELL under ANY CIRCUMSTANCES! Customers, their time and goodwill MEAN NOTHING to DELL. The worst customer centric brand anywhere. The last DELL I ever buy for myself or my company! And now they tell me I have to waste more of my time and money to TAKE THE UNIT to the Purolator depot on the other end of town!

I hate to say this, but DELL is a disgrace! A company and brand are built around their customers, customer service, and looking after them. Any brand that doesn't put the customer first isn't a brand in any way, just a profit first, heartless machine to avoid. After years of buying DELL for myself, family and business I am shocked to say DELL is the latter... I never knew the REAL DELL. Beware.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2020

I would like to show people how one major company responds to customers after the completion of a sale that then becomes a warranty related issue. Let start out by saying that the response shown herein comes from the highest level of Customer Service within Dell Computers and it is for that very reason I felt it necessary to share this incident with Consumer Affairs.

ISSUE: Battery related issues with my Dell G7 17 7790 laptop that was purchased in June 2020 for approximately $3,300. Diagnosed via Dell Online Technical Support followed by a telephone conversation with a Dell Tech. Problem? Possible swollen battery requiring replacement of battery and touch pad. Initial request for service submitted mid-August 2020.

Dell Service Call/Dispatch Number: **

Dell Service Request Number: **

During this process of “waiting” for service, and prior to, I informed Dell personnel, both verbally and in emails, that I was deemed a “Critical Worker” under guidelines established by the City/County of San Francisco during the COVID-19 pandemic. I explained that because of my job title and responsibilities, I could not commit to an eight (8) hour window for a technician to show up and conduct a repair. I suggested that a line of communications be established that would afford me the opportunity to (1) meet with a tech for service while (2) fulfilling my obligation to the residents of San Francisco pursuant to my job. Dell personnel heard nothing. Every suggestion presented was simply ignored. And their emails came everyday (a new one) asking the same thing from the previous day. My responses were (now) the exact same.

The back and forth went on for several weeks with NO RESOLUTION. One day, I get an email from a member to the Executive team. The introduction email was nothing less than finger pointing and accusations that I was not responding to technicians’ emails or telephone calls placed to me. I responded to that email and in no uncertain terms informed that person (1) every email sent to me had gotten a timely response (probably not the response they wanted, but nonetheless it addressed the email) and (2) I have service through Verizon and a call filter that will not allow calls from a number deemed by their system to be SPAM. The only exception being if that number was in a person’s contact list. I had explained this in ALL MY EMAILS. Nobody read that.

This individual from the executive offices of Dell heard nothing that I said. Even when I forwarded emails to him to “read” and then tell me what I did wrong, he continued his tirade. Well, I got a bit peeved (to say the least) and gave that person a piece of my mind – I was too done with the finger pointing. What did I pay all that money for with regards to the warranty – oh yeah, ON-SITE repair!

STATUS: I am done trying to deal with Dell personnel. I have sent my last email to that fine gentleman informing him that pursuant to our agreement, Dell has an obligation to honor its agreement that they received compensation for. I further demanded that they honor that agreement because if they did not, I would be seeking resolution under that section of most agreements entitled “DISPUTES”. Yes, I am all too aware that consumers, today, are limited in their actions against many companies we do business with every day. We are usually limited to either small claims actions (court) or some form of binding arbitration.

Our most important asset is our money! We can take our business to those who will not act the way Dell has in this instance. We have a choice. Dell has since removed any trace of the above-mentioned service ticket numbers from their system, which is fine with me simply because I retain all my emails. There is no way I will purchase another item from Dell. I have never experienced blatant disregard for customer request before and I hope never to in the future. P.S. I wish that one day, individuals operating businesses learn how to treat people. If not, they are bound to realize that the lovely things they HAVE become the lovely things they HAD.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2020

If there were a poster child for horrible customer service, it would be Dell. I didn't think any customer support could be worse than United Airlines, but Dell managed to surpass even United. My Dell computer became so slow over time that it was almost useless. I contacted Dell customer support, described the symptoms and was told they could fix it for $99. They said I wouldn't even have to send the machine out for repair. They would fix it using a remote connection. I figured it was worth the investment since I couldn't buy a new computer for $99, and they guaranteed it. If they couldn't fix it, I would get my money back.

It took a week, and at least three sessions with technicians working on the machine for several hours, and several broken promises to contact me within a certain time range to begin these sessions, and a full reset that required my reinstalling all software and moving all content to my Google Drive ... but at the end of all that, my computer was ... as slow as ever. True to their word, the technical said my $99 would be refunded. When I received my credit card statement nearly a month later, I noticed the charge for the $99 was there from Dell but no refund.

Thus began another ordeal during which I called Dell (all support personnel sounded like they were in India), waited on hold for 50 minutes. I was then told that I would need to talk to the Tech Support team, not the Customer Care team, which I'd called. This seemed very odd. So I was transferred to Tech Support and after a much shorter wait, the call was answered and was told that, in fact, I needed to talk to Customer Care. The Tech Support person did not understand why Customer Care had transferred me to Tech Support. She promised to transfer me to a supervisor.

After another long wait, I ended up back in -- you guessed it -- Customer Care. The agent asked me to hold for a minute or two while he checked "the notes," and after another few minutes on hold the call was disconnected. No one called back, even though they had my phone number. This was the start of Day 1 of three days of waiting on hold and getting the runaround from phone agents and chat personnel.

A supervisor in Customer Care sent me back to Tech Support. Again, Tech Support (a chat agent this time) said I needed to call Customer Care, so I made him stay on the line while I called Customer Care. We waited together an hour and a half on hold until my call was finally answered. I sighed with relief. The voice that answered said the department was now closed. Please call back tomorrow.

I persisted and finally got the refund by the end of the week, but I promised I would take appropriate action against Dell for probably the worst customer service experience of my life. This post is part of that appropriate action. I hope I have convinced you to never buy a Dell. Whatever you might think you are saving on the machine, it isn't worth having to deal with the worst customer service operation on earth.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2020

Updated on 09/26/2020: I'm writing an update to my review I wrote previously just before I had received my laptop bad from the "Dell Depot" for repairs, My laptop is less than a year old with problems from day one. I'd kept it because I had programs pre-installed and didn't want to go through the hassle of ordering another laptop, until it finally would not boot up at all. If the issue is Software it's not covered and I would have to pay a $99 fee which is suppose to be fix it or free. So, I did agree to send it in but not before I took it to the local Staples so I could get what I could if possible saved on to a back up jump drive, I couldn't do it.

The laptop could not be booted up so I needed to see if the tech at Staples could save anything and he was able to retrieve some pictures but no files, that cost me $69.99 (it was suggested by Dell in case they lost everything) and it was returned the next day from Dell Depot and it was the hard drive not a software issue at all, but they say it could have been caused by a software program! Give me a break. When I agreed to pay the $99 for the 'fix it or no fee" I put the charge on my Visa card and I expected it to come off and surprisingly it did, there was a charge for the $99 and then there was a -$99 on my Visa account. Then I get an email that I earned rewards from Dell financial and I'm thinking "What?" I forgot I had even had a Dell credit card, I had only got it to get the $100 rebate when I ordered the laptop and I paid it off in full when I received the statement.

Dell put that $99.00 charge on that Dell financial credit card without my knowledge! I am outraged, I have called Dell Financial Services and told them I never even knew that charge was put on that account and I wanted it taken off ASAP and to close the account out or I would take steps to do so, I gave no consent for that charge to be put through dell financial because I paid for it with my Visa card and it showed on my Visa statement. I am sorry the day I ever bought a Dell and will never buy another one. I am still upset, been on the phone hours at a time and still no answers and they didn't fix my laptop, it does boot up but all my programs are messed up and I am so sick and tired of this mess. I am about ready to toss it out if i didn't have so much money into it.

Dell makes these so cheaply now that they don't last like they used to and there is absolutely no customer service and no one cares, most all service reps are answering from other countries and I can hardly understand a word they're speaking, very annoying to have to keep asking them to repeat themselves and still can't understand them. I have been on the phone for hours/days/nights and they told me that my laptop is working fine, IT IS NOT! It is still not fixed to my satisfaction and if I get a bill/statement from Dell financial service I am telling you someone is going to get an ear full.

Dell has the worst customer support in every area of the company from tech support to sales reps that lie when they sold me the laptop and now the dell financial services is trying to scam me out of $99 for a 'fix it' and it was a hardware problem for one thing and I never authorized any charge for dell financial, I paid with my Visa card and that money should all be returned as it IS covered under the warranty. I would not recommend a Dell to my worst enemy, well may I would. If you are smart don't buy a Dell as they are no good and don't last a year with just basic use, the hard drive went in less than a ye! What does that tell you? Dell's are no longer made quality and absolutely no decent Tech support if you ever get through to them.

Be smart and buy another brand name computer as Dell's are not made like they used to be and there is no customer service cooperation at all, no department has any idea what the other is doing and they should be communicating together. I'm out $99. $69.99 = $170.00 basically and still not satisfied with the way my laptop is running, Keep getting messages this is wrong, this needs update, this is conflicted, there is no D drive, etc.. I am so discouraged, I'm ready to just give up but I won't. I can't send my receipt because it's lost and I can't figure out how to add an email as an attachment but I'll try, they really messed up my laptop. I lost my files and documents. I ordered the laptop built to my specs and Express Service Code: is **. I had all documents but now they are gone. Be smart. Don't buy a Dell.

Original Review: I went on to Dell.com less than a year ago and built a Dell laptop to my specifications and had all the software pre-installed. This laptop cost me close to $1000.00 after all was added to my specs and but I did receive a $100. rebate gift card. So the Laptop from day one was not exactly what I'd expected, I was used to my old Dell which was great but was so old it finally died a natural death (hard drive went) and rather than replace it I ordered the new Dell Inspiron 15 3000 series 3593 which was nothing but problems from day one. The day after I received it I should have shipped it back. So anyway the issues began to get worse and I wasn't able to troubleshoot them anymore and then suddenly one day Aug. 25, 2020 I went to start up the laptop and it would not boot up, nothing. The screen was just black then would turn blue when I tried to turn it off and back on.

I called DELL Tech support's number and was told the wait time could be up to 45 min to 65 mins., this went on for 3 days. I emailed them and asked for someone to call me when they were available and I received an automated reply, finally by the 28th I spoke to someone whom told did some over the phone troubleshooting to no avail and he stated that it must the hard drive or motherboard which is covered under the warranty, a Dell Tech would come to my home and check it out, it took days but a Tech did (I could not understand one word he spoke) but I figured out that he knew it was NOT a hardware problem, I had him write it on the service order in plain simple terms.

He stated that it most likely was a Software issue, So when he left I contacted DELL support again which took many, many calls and wait time. I was transferred from one Tech to another at least 4 time before anyone knew what they were doing, they kept telling me they were transferring me to Software Tech Support and I kept getting routed to Hardware Tech, come to find out there is NO direct transferring or phone number for Software Tech support!

I sent them a threatening email as I meant business, I was done fooling around on the phone each day waiting for a call and with limited access to my husband's laptop it wasn't easy to communicate by email, which they think I can do with a NON working laptop. I explained in the email that if something were not done asap that I was going to get advice from my Brother in law whom is a local Attorney and very good friends with the NYS Attorney General right here in my home town and I gave them his name, number and address as I was not joking around.

I received a call within 30 minutes of that email being sent. I was told that DELL would escalate my issue But any Software problems are NOT covered under the DELL warranty whether I bought it last week or last year, Software issues are not covered and I would have to pay a $99.00 fee to have the laptop checked out to see what the problem is. I was at my wit's end, discouraged and not ready to toss out a new laptop so I agreed to sent it out to this so called Dell Depot, I had a box sent to me the next day. I sent it, it was received and from what I see by the Dell Depot transcript it seem like they looked at it the day they received it, checked it out and the same day sent it back to me, as I am getting it back today 9/10/ 2020.

I can get no more info on it and almost afraid to get it back as it doesn't state they fixed it on the online report. I don't think there is any communication between techs and I know that they do not know what they are doing. I am so upset that I paid money for a laptop, have had it less than a year and it is NOT warranted if a Software issue, If they were to have to replace my hard drive all my pre-installed Software will be gone and I will have to start from scratch, this is just wrong.

I will never, ever buy another DELL, I am using an HP at this time and it's really quite good, actually my first Desktop way back was an HP and never a problem still have it and it still works but not set up for the internet. So, if you are thinking of getting a new computer think twice if your thinking about a DELL, Their Customer, Technical, Hardware, Software and Warranty are useless and I expected more from Dell. They have dropped down on the list of the top computer to buy and I can see why, they are built cheap and the components are only meant to last a year and mine didn't even make it that long.

Dell expects you to buy a new computer each year and I am not one to do that. I have the report from the date I sent from the date it's being returned, I don't see what they did or if they fixed it, it makes no sense to me. I could only copy and paste what you will see from what I could get from the Dell site, I will try to include it below. FYI: They received it on the 8th and I am receiving it back today Sept. 10, I am in upper NY State and it was shipped to Texas!

"We’ve shipped your system back to your return address. You can track the return shipment here with tracking number ** or visit the Track Dispatch link to the right. - Hide history.

08 Sep 2020 19:54

We started repairing your system.

08 Sep 2020 15:06

We began diagnosing your system for repairs.

08 Sep 2020 12:55

Your system was received intact.

04 Sep 2020 12:52

Shipping materials delivered."

Original review: Sept. 8, 2020

I have owned several Dell laptops and must say I loved all of them. Have purchased them from Best Buy and Walmart. This time I purchased directly from Dell, a NEW XPS 15 Creator Edition. I want to upgrade storage but the empty SSD slot does not come with the screw to secure the M.2 2280 NVMe SSD. I am trying to contact Dell but that is an endless maze of dead ends and very long waiting times. Terrible support. Not even worth one star!

Original review: Sept. 2, 2020

After only two years of owning my Dell Inspiron, my laptop had hardware issues that caused my computer to malfunction; my keyboard would light up, but the screen remained black. The whole experience with Dell has been beyond frustrating. After dealing with customer service (I will tell you that in a minute), I was finally told it was a hardware issue, and if I send it in, they will fix it. I spent $40 to send it in, then I chose to spend the $260.00 they quoted me to fix it, and I spent another $80 for an extended warranty. A week later, my laptop was returned, UN-REPAIRED, with THE SAME PROBLEM!

When I tried to call customer service, I was told it is a United States holiday (it is not, today is Wednesday, September 2) and the the customer service department is closed. Every time I have tried to contact Dell, I get put through an inefficient automated system that directed me in circles, got placed on hold for too long, and eventually talked to someone in India who would transfer me again. Dell has caused me so much wasted time, wasted money, stress, and anxiety. The issue remains unresolved. I expected more from Dell.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2020

I purchased a XPS 15 and it is the worst piece of garbage I could ever have, after barely 1 year and a half my battery stopped working out of the blue and the extended warranty (almost more than 200) didn't cover the battery at all. To cancel the order was a ordeal. Never ever I will buy from Dell again.

Dell Laptops Company Information