3.9/5 (2785 ratings)

About Dell Laptops

Dell was founded in the early 1980s and was a pioneer in the home computer and technology industry. It has been a leader in high-tech computers, monitors, workstations, tablets, printers and laptops for decades.

Pros

• High-end features available
  • Multiple price points
  • Wide range of models

Cons

• Heavier than some other laptops
  • Budget laptops can break easily

Bottom Line

Dell is a worldwide leader in computers, monitors, systems, laptops, printers and innovative technology. It offers a wide range of stylish laptops perfect for school, home and business.

Top Dell Laptops Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I have had Dell forever. They are very sturdy and you can trust them. My kids dropped them several times and they keep working. For college students they are a plus because come i...

Verified

This has been a very good laptop. Good battery life, and great features. I would buy one again. I went from a desktop computer to this laptop, and never looked back. this is a lap...

What is Dell?

Dell offers laptops for work and home, and its products include features that are important to students, fast-paced professionals and entrepreneurs. Some of the most popular laptops are:

• Dell XPS 13: This 2.8-pound laptop has an extended battery life and an attractive and sleek exterior frame. The screen is close to borderless, which adds flair to the design. It has a large screen, comfortable keyboard and 10th-generation Intel Core i7 processor
  • Dell XPS 15: This 4.5-pound laptop has an industrial design and high-level graphics performance. The keys and touchpad are larger than most other models, and it has a four-border InfinityEdge bezel on the screen.
  • Dell Inspiron 15 3000: This 4.96-pound laptop can replace many people’s desktop computers. It’s bulkier and heavier than some other laptops, but it offers a strong build, 6 GB of memory and an eight-hour battery. For the price (around $329), it is a solid laptop with basic features and a sleek design
  • Alienware M17: This 5.8-pound laptop is great for gaming because it features a ninth-generation Intel Core processor and DDR4 RAM. It comes in a variety of configurations that meet the needs of the serious gamer. While the battery life only lasts an average of 2½ hours for moderate gaming use, the slim design, dark colors and high-resolution display are added perks. This gaming computer starts at $1,349.99, and customized laptops can cost up to $4,229.99

How do Dell laptops work?

Dell laptops range from budget desktop replacement computers to sleek and innovative gaming PCs. Dell’s expansive line of computers lets you pick and choose the features that are important to you.

• Memory: Dell laptops come with many different memory options, ranging from 4 GB of RAM to 64 GB.
  • Storage: Storage drive sizes range from 500 GB to 2 TB and up.
  • Operating system: Dell laptops come with four different operating system options: Windows 10, Linux Ubuntu, Chrome and Chrome Enterprise Upgrade.
  • Display: Screen sizes range from 11 inches to 17 inches. There are touch screen and non-touch screen options. You can also choose the display resolution that works best for your eyes, ranging from HD and HD+ to Full HD, Full HD+, 4K and UHD+.
  • Processor: Dell laptops use seventh generation Intel Core to 10th generation Intel Core processors.
  • Life span: The average life span of a Dell laptop is three to five years.

Dell laptops prices

Dell laptops offer innovative, streamlined computers made for work, personal use and school. The most budget-friendly Dell laptops average around $350 to $400, while premium models, such as the Dell Alienware M15, can retail for over $2,000.

Consumers who want the style and functionality of a Dell laptop without paying retail prices can purchase refurbished laptops, desktops, monitors and servers at the online Dell Outlet. These refurbished laptops are 15% less than new computers and have the same impressive specs.

Dell also offers a price-match guarantee. If you find a lower-priced (and similarly configured) computer, tablet or monitor advertised online, Dell matches the price. It doesn't matter if it is from Dell, HP, Lenovo or Apple — Dell will match it.

Here are some of the most popular Dell laptops and the average cost at the time of publishing:

ModelPrice
Dell XPS 13$1,149
Dell XPS 15$1,299
Dell Inspiron 15 3000$229
Dell Precision 5750 Mobile Workstation$1,879
Alienware M17$1,599

Dell laptops FAQ

Where are Dell laptops made?
Dell computers are made in factories all across the world, including Ireland, Brazil, China, Malaysia and the U.S.
Are Dell laptops good for gaming?
Dell has specific laptops that are geared toward gamers. Dell computers aren’t specifically gaming computers, but its Alienware brand is a popular choice for gamers looking for power and speed.
Do Dell laptops come with Microsoft Office?
Yes. Most Dell laptops are equipped with a basic version of Office named Starter and can be upgraded to a more advanced version of Microsoft Office.
Are Dell laptops reliable?
Yes. Dell laptops are reliable, made of high-quality materials and have long battery life. They’ve been a trusted tool for students, business owners, bloggers and entrepreneurs for decades.

Are Dell laptops good?

Yes. Dell laptops are high-quality computers with strong batteries, sleek designs, high-end internal hardware and a variety of extras that make them a convenient tool for work or business. Dell laptops are sleek and portable, and there are many models to choose from to suit your needs and budget.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dell Laptops?

Original review: Sept. 8, 2022

Friends, please please please do not buy Dell Alienware Laptop. In my laptop it's throwing blue screen error 2-3 times in a day. Once it throw error it automatically restart and you lose all your work because of sudden restart. I approached Dell Support Centre but no one is able to solve this issue. All the time they are giving different tips but they can not solve the issue. As you know these laptops are costly so do not waste your money. They are making fool you. They know very well that their hardware parts, Graphics, Memory, Processor and its Drivers are not match perfectly. So they are not able to solve the problems. Don't be fool.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2022

It was gift for my son. I was very surprised that the order was canceled. Nobody informed me about that on email, or messages. Despite the fact that the order was canceled, I don't have any money back on my bank account. Nobody called me and ask if I wanted to change my order or offer any other product. Very russian style of business, I didn't I expect such of behavior from a respected company.

Get buying tips about Computer Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2022

When reviewing Dell warn readers of their abysmal lack of customer service. I ordered a laptop and wireless mouse on July 4th directly from Dell with estimated delivery by 7/27; received the mouse within a week got email laptop shipped early with 7/17 estimated delivery. After several calls and “case specialist” assigned got an email that the laptop was returned and they issued a refund. I never received the laptop and sent email requesting prepaid return and full refund of the mouse. No reply called and was told it was over 30 days so it couldn’t be returned.

Escalated the call to a manager Ravi who said there would be a restocking charge. Told him they had held on to my $3300 for over a month and I called the Same week I found out they did not deliver as promised. He said he would try and call me back. It’s been a week and no word. I have never dealt with a company who takes your money for over a month doesn’t deliver the main product and expects you to get stuck with a $58 wireless mouse. Maybe if they made their laptops in the USA they could actually deliver and since when do you ship the accessory and not the product it was made for. I will never buy Dell and will post this message wherever I can to let people know not to waste their money on such an untrustworthy company.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2022

Take the value they offer you, then times that by 65% and that is the actual value you'll get. I'm sure they will resell it for 200% markup. There is absolutely nothing you can do about it, at least Amazon will send the product back.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2022

I am writing a honest review of DELL LATITUDE experience. I own a DELL LATITUDE LAPTOP provided by my company for less than 1 year. Suddenly I am seeing flickering of screen sometimes (This is not such a bad thing to happen). One day hard disk is not recognized by BIOS and laptop does not boot. (What will be your experience when Apple Mac goes blank?) After calling customer care and a number of calls technician comes after one week and opens the back case and tightens the SATA cable and hard disk starts working. (Does this happen often on MAC?)

After two days battery is not recognized by the BIOS. Laptop have to be on power always. Calling customer care tells that battery is gone. When questioned how it can happen as I run laptop for 4 HRS the previous day. This is not understood by customer care, they are bothered only with what they want and close the service ticket. Technician will not come with a day/two as per DELL they need 4 to 5 days to visit. Overall a pathetic quality of LAPTOPS and pathetic customer care.

Original review: July 19, 2022

I have had my most recent Dell workstation for 6 years, and pretty much every single year this laptop has had a hardware failure. Luckily I had the extended warranty, but at this point the warranty is up and now I do not have a laptop because I cannot afford these continuous repairs. This laptop was not cheap either, and it has experienced logic board, battery, hinge, hard drive, and other failures. This laptop lived on my desk; it was never dropped and nothing was ever spilled on it. Customer service just kept sending me from person to person for hours refusing to help me. Super frustrated, Dell computers used to be highly reliable (at least for me) but for the past several years it has been nothing but issues. Based on my experience with this laptop, I cannot and do not recommend any dell products until they decide to provide hardware that does not fail extremely frequently.

Original review: July 18, 2022

Dell has designed some extremely poor laptops recently and unfortunately I purchased one and am now regretting ever buying a Dell product. The hardware that keeps the laptop together i.e. the hinges are complete junk and break within a few months. The hinges are screwed into the plastic housing which is a terrible design, so normal use will cause them to break and separate. I now have an unusable laptop and It's going to take them 5 weeks to get a replacement hinge (what a joke). I am unable to return the computer if it exceeds 30 days of ownership, That's the worst warranty I have ever heard of. I would highly suggest looking at other manufacturers when purchasing a laptop. Personally will never buy a dell product again.

Original review: June 27, 2022

Dell used to be a great brand. I had Dell laptops before and repurchased them. Sadly the brand is no longer the quality it was and the customer service is no existence. I have had dozens of customer care reps hang up on me or transfer me while I was in the middle of speaking. They have put me on hold never to come back. Dell is no longer the great company it was - DONT BUY A DELL. I will never buy a Dell again.

Original review: June 24, 2022

I've been using Dell laptops for year, but this piece of junk has soured me on the company forever. For the past ~6 months the laptop freezes. I used to be able to use a USB mouse to regain control, now that doesn't work either. The only thing I can do is force a reboot which, most of the time, gets it running again. I've spent hours on the phone with Dell since I have premium support. All that means is that you can get a polite person somewhere on the other side of the world say nice things to you about how sorry he/she is about what you are going through. Nothing gets fixed, though.

Today we reinstalled the operating system but within a couple of hours it started freezing again. The nice person on the phone wants me to mail it in, but I have little confidence that they will be able to diagnose an intermittent problem such as I have. Since I use this device for work from my home, having it not working is a serious problem, but it's not as if anyone at Dell actually cares. I'm about ready to write it off as a $1500 bad investment.

Original review: June 9, 2022

Had Dell Laptops for years. "NEVER AGAIN". Never delt with such a terrible company. First they sold me a laptop they knew it had issues with hinges. 3 months after purchase hinge broke and also damaged the screen. Contacted Dell and after 2 days of calling and several transfers, they said they would cover hinge but not screen, which hinge broke. Finally was told they would cover hinge so I sent laptop for repair. Now it took 2 weeks just to get text stating part not available. Back to calling and transfers. Finally get text stating part is in. Week later get another text stating part not in until Aug (sent for repairs in May).

Back to calls and transfers. They would not send me new laptop only refurbished one and Get This old warranty that did not cover my laptop will be transferred to refurbished laptop. Also in case you're wondering, none of the reps I spoke to are in U.S. they have no reps you can deal with in US.. Never again and also making sure company I work for starts looking for another computer company to work with. Like they say "Buy cheap, buy Twice. Sam R.

Dell Laptops Company Information