Dell Laptops
3.44/5
Based on 1,131 ratings submitted in the last year

Get matched with the best Home Warranty for you!

Dell Laptops

Get matched with the best Home Warranty for you!

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

Dell Laptops Reviews

Original review: Oct. 21, 2019

I've had Dell laptops for the past 8 years. Their Pro support is absolutely phenomenal! Glad I upgraded to Windows 10 before my warranty expired. And their technical support staff are based in the US, not out of the country. Highly recommend Dell!

Original review: June 28, 2019

Very excellent service in buying online and also return with no hassle. I will totally recommend. Got laptop but had to return. Nothing wrong but was not the type was Looking for. I look forward to get something else.

Get expert buying tips about Computer Brands delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
      Original review: June 9, 2019

I have bought so many different brands of laptops over the years and Dell is clearly the best brand. Every laptop I have bought from Dell has met my expectations. Dell makes good quality laptops. I just bought the Inspiron 15 5000 laptop and it's AMAZING! It's FAST and I LOVE it! The keyboard lights up too. Thank you Dell! I will never buy any other brand of computer except Dell.

Original review: April 14, 2019

Same design flaws as the 9550, same build excellence also. I had to recently replace my Dell XPS 15 9550. Since all the other performance laptop manufacturers seem to be aiming at the spoilt teenager market, I got the latest iteration of the Dell XPS 15, the 9570. Reasons why I had to replace the computer: Inability to replace or charge existing batteries - the DC power jack port mechanically failed after three years, which appears to have shorted the power supply diodes and making a battery replacement moot.

MOST IMPORTANTLY after 2 years the hinge suffered a catastrophic mechanical failure. The Dell XPS 15 design has a molded soft steel chassis bonded to the carbon fibre palmrest. This is extremely strong, but also quite flexible. The lid of the laptop requires about 1-2kg force to open, and this not only stresses the connection of the hinge to the chassis, but also puts mechanical stress on the screws that hold the backplate on (the two corner screws on the fan outlet side). The hinge is screwed into a molded screwblock that is bonded to the carbon, and connected to the rest of the chassis with a strip of soft steel only 0.8mm thick. This WILL break over time, absolutely no two ways about it. Your machine therefore has a life of around 3 years, irrespective of the excellent health of the internal components, which are still going strong.

It is a pitiable waste of a machine to throw away something that STILL WORKS just because Dell do not offer more than a 1 year breakage warranty. I'm not suggesting this is planned obsolescence, more like shoddy engineering. It is more than possible to reinforce the chassis with epoxy resin (or an x-brace of molded steel) where the DC power cable runs through to its inlet on the mainboard. Dell have opted not to look at this. They have not replied to several attempts to get their attention.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2019

My son spent all of his graduation money to buy a Dell computer for engineering. It worked great for 2 years. It suddenly stopped working a month ago. We bought the 4 year premium service package because we knew the rigor of his studies and didn’t want him without a computer. One month later, he is still without a computer in the hardest semester of his engineering curriculum. He sent it to the “Depot” once and it immediately came back not working. He had an on call visit from a technician who replaced the motherboard. Again not working.

After hours on the phone working through Dell’s chain of escalation, their solutions are: 1) send another technician. 2) accept another refurbished computer. I said #1 would be acceptable if Dell sends an expert and new parts. I have no reason to believe it will be different this time with the same solution of sending refurbished parts. When I asked why it was not fixed the first time it was sent to the “Depot” in a box Dell provided, I was told that sometimes words jostle on the way back. Really? Dell hasn’t figured out shipping computers? No explanation over why the 2nd attempt to replace the whole motherboard would have failed except let’s keep doing the same thing, this time during finals week, again and again. I was told Dell does not repair with new parts, only refurbished.

As far as accepting another refurbished computer, why? They can’t fix my son’s on 2 attempts. Why would we accept another computer that supposedly has been “fixed.” We paid for this one, with an expensive care package. I expect it fixed after 2 attempts. Now I am asking for a 3rd repair using new parts or a new computer. The last person who called on the “executive escalation team” could not have been more rude. When I pointed out he had never even apologized for my son being without a computer for a month he asked what good that would do and we needed a solution: He then proceeded to give the same solution we got 3 people before him. Unacceptable and extremely disrespectful.

If anyone reads this review, definitely don’t waste your money with the care package. We may just cut our losses and buy my son a different, non Dell, computer. The loss to his education time is worth more than the price tag of this Dell computer. Accepting a refurbished one is an insult. Do your job Dell and either do the work right the 1st (or 2nd) time or make meaningful efforts to remedy the problem.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dell?

Original review: Dec. 4, 2019

It is ** laptop, mine lasted 3 years only with lots of problems! I paid 2000$!! I lost customers and time because of it. It is built wrong, the cable is torn every few months, the products build be spoiled that you will have no choice. I will not buy Dell never again, no one at my family and friend.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2019

Overpromised, underdelivered. Was promised a $100 visa with purchase that never came and it has been a run around at my expense to attempt to contact and have Dell fulfill what they promised on numerous occasions and it continues to be empty promises. Buyer beware of false advertising and terrible customer service.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2019

Purchased a 2 in 1 Dell Inspiron 15 5000 for my out of state college son along with an extended warranty Premier Plus where repairs are made on-site since college students cannot be without laptops to complete work. In less than 6 months the screen went black, the keyboard backlight went dead and the battery charger did not keep battery charged for long. He put in a service ticket on 11/10/19 and wanted him to send his laptop to them to repair which could take up to 15 days to be returned. Ridiculous ask so I called to remind them that I paid for Premier Plus so onsite repair should not be an issue. Well the lcd part that was needed is out of stock until 12/23/19! Un-freakin-believable. They offered to replace with a refurbished model that was equal or better than what I purchased.

15 days later I received a regular laptop (not 2 in 1 like I originally purchased) with slightly upgraded configurations which does not equate to the same equipment type I purchased. Not to mention that Dell’s customer service process is a complete nightmare. They transfer you several times and you have to repeat the same info to various people, none of which have the authority to actually resolve anything effectively. And they send emails which get answered by random Dell reps who don’t actually reply with anything helpful. There is not one single person assigned to the issue for resolution until the end. It’s 12/27/19, 2 days before Thanksgiving and I’ve been on the phone at least 10 times with different Dell people and emailed at least 6 times which is absolutely ridiculous. I will NEVER buy Dell again and I’m warning you not to believe all the high ratings.

I have an HP touch screen, 2 in 1 that’s 4 years old and runs good as new with zero issues. In retrospect I should’ve gotten HP for my son, but after 4 years of college It’s gonna get trashed (if it even lasts that long). Garbage product and poor customer service. Don't spend your money on Premier Plus because you prob won't get onsite service like us. How does a new laptop lcd screen go dark in less than 6 months, how does Dell not maintain a critical part in stock (backordered until 12/23), why is Dell unable to provide onsite service for a customer who paid for Premier Plus service and why couldn’t they expedite the process for replacement with the same equipment type that was originally ordered? And why do I have to talk to 10 different reps and supervisors to make any progress in resolving this issue? Bad customer service process and poor customer service. Terrible experience and it’s still not over.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2019

My laptop has been defective from the day I bought it..I have been asking for replacement since the third month of purchase... in the first two years I have visited the service center 4 times and my laptop still has issues. Now Dell is not even ready to fix any problems, my motherboard, touch pad, hard drive everything has had a problem. Horrible customer care service and horrible product. Will never suggest anyone to use Dell.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2019

After six months, my computer stopped connecting to the internet. I called Dell and spoke to technical support 4 times for a total of 4 hours. One of the techs was competent; the others simply went through a checklist (the same each time, despite the fact that we had done the same thing each time) that was largely irrelevant. Their phone system is horrible--the voice is garbled so understanding (particularly with the heavy accents) is hard. They dispatched an onsite technician twice, but both times the technician did not arrive during the (long) window they provided, and no one even called. I called the dispatch Number twice, and was promised a call back (the "dispatch" is in India), but they still haven't. Unless I hear from them, I've reached the point where I will just buy another computer. It will not be a Dell!

Dell expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Dell, now renamed Dell Technologies, is a computer company that was founded in Round Rock, Texas in 1984. Dell was started with the goal of making technologies like computers more accessible and affordable to consumers. Dell's various lines of laptops can fit consumer needs from basic application functions to business solutions.

• Inspiron 3000: Dell’s Inspiron 3000 series is an ultra-portable 2-in-1 laptop series designed to perform basic computer functions.

• Inspiron 5000: The Inspiron 5000 is a 2-in-1 laptop that is capable of displays at stronger resolutions due to a more powerful processor than the basic model.

• Inspiron 7000: The Inspiron 7000 is a high-performance laptop capable of running more taxing applications and some light gaming. The Inspiron 7000 15 is Dell’s most powerful Inspiron model.

• XPS: The Dell XPS is a laptop designed for powerhouse visual quality. They are built to be durable despite their thin size.

• Chromebook: Dell’s Chromebook 11 and Chromebook 13 are lightweight computers designed for home or business use.

• Best for: Dell laptops are best for casual users, home offices and businesses.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs