Dell Laptops

Compare Computer Brands

Research top Computer Brands recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I bought Dell laptop in Dec 2015 and just found out the hard drive is broken. Dell is telling me there is no guarantee on the drive. It could go bad anytime. I spent 500 for the laptop and I used 50 times at most. It is not a good quality laptop from A to Z. Never again after 20 years of Dell loyal customer. I am going to find something else.

I originally had an HP laptop that I sent to service under warranty. Well I guess Asurion fixes basically all electronics under warranty and when they send back my "fixed" HP instead of screwing it back together I opened the laptop and the whole front of screen the glass and bezel all fell out. They taped it with scotch tape! I was infuriated. They said they would replace it with a comparable item. It was a crappy Dell. I knew I was going to have a ton of problems with it. It didn't even have an optical drive which right there alone proved it was nowhere beat comparable to the HP I had.

Fast forward 3 months later and the Dell will not charge. When I called Dell they told me "Sorry that’s not covered under the warranty" and that was the end of the conversation. It was just a malfunction. Or accident, drop, or liquid spilled on the thing. I didn't even get a copy of the warranty because it was refurbished. Dell and Asurion working hand in hand to make people's tech experiences as bad as possible.

I have been using the Dell Inspiron for 13 years with problems here and there nothing I couldn't handle. I also own an XPS 13 and I love it except for the camera position. People categorically complain about Dell products, an important thing is to do an extensive research on the laptop before buying it. Dell has crappy computers, a lot of the Inspiron ones and I constantly write about them on Accatech but they also have good ones. It takes a bit of research to find good ones. Their business line of laptops are pretty reliable. Maybe am not experiencing what others experience since am a techie and usually fix most of the problems myself without calling Dell customer.

I bought a Dell XPS 13 approximately 3 years ago. The battery went bad causing swelling and the finger pad is damaged. I sent to Dell for repairs (after a long conversation on the phone). They charged me $179.00 to fix (I did receive a refund) - 2 weeks later they contacted me and said they did not have the parts and didn't know when they would get them. Suggesting to take it to "Geek Squad" to fix - tried that. Looked up the part on Dell site - they no longer make the replacement battery for this model. So a laptop less than 3 years old has no battery - it can be used with the power cord - however it tips over due to no battery. Done with Dell.

Laptop is now back at depot for the second time since purchased in dec 2016. Defective from the start, Dell will not refund or replace, they keep sending me "fixed" motherboard and hard drive that lasts 4 months before machine wouldn't even power up. Tech support is awful and so is the escalation dept and the Round Rock Texas corporate offices! NEVER NEVER NEVER buy a Dell computer, they routinely sell defective computers and then refuse to make it right. Please read the other problems people have had. This was a gift from my boyfriend which has turned into a nightmare. My only option at this point seems to be to cut my losses of countless hours of my time and energy and buy a different company: anybody but Dell.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dell ?

IF YOU ARE THINKING ABOUT BUYING A DELL… RUN… DO NOT DO IT. PLEASE SAVE YOURSELF THE HEADACHE. I purchased a laptop from Best Buy less than a year ago. The laptop is a Dell Inspiron 17, 7000 series. Just recently, after I believe a Microsoft update, I started having issues with my laptop. The mouse on the laptop is erratic and jumps all over the screen. It is as if someone has control of my computer. The mouse clicks on boxes, closes pages out, and just operates on its own. I thought maybe I had a virus so I ran a scan using my virus protection. Nothing, no viruses. So, I contacted Microsoft support who remoted into my computer and downloaded a bunch of crap. They claimed the issues was fixed. As soon as they logged out of my computer, the issue was back again.

I then contacted Dell support, who is in India, go figure. Dell did a bunch of diagnostic testing, checked the drivers, and a bunch of other stuff. Still nothing worked. While on the phone with the Dell tech support rep, he saw the issue with his own two eyes. So now they tell me that I need to send my computer in to be repaired, which will take 7-10 business days. WHAT??? You have to be kidding me. I work from my computer, so now I will be without my computer for 7-10 business days? That is customer service?

I have had this laptop for less than and year and it barely moves from my office desk. So how does a less than year old computer start having mouse/touch pad issues? How is it that tech support doesn’t know why the issue started? How is it that in 2017 Dell doesn’t have local repair stores like Apple? Perhaps Dell has outsourced repairs as well. Naturally, I am LIVID as this issue has already consumed 2 days of my life on the phone with Dell tech support and chat with Microsoft. And now I am being asked to be inconvenienced and to miss out on money. I bet Mr. Dell has working computers and super-fast tech support. He probably uses a MAC.

I sent an e-mail to Mr. Michael Dell regarding my issue. Only to have someone from India who claims to work in Michael Dells office contact me back. What a joke! Dell has the absolute worst customer and technical support that I have ever encountered. I have filed a complaint with the BBB, the Attorney General, and next up is the FTC. I WILL NEVER BUY ANYTHING FROM DELL AGAIN.

Dell should hang their heads in shame and embarrassment that they cannot provide service in English!! I never got my order!! Ordered online, got automated confirmation, a week later no shipping notice nor was it on the CC. Echat is useless. They just say "call," good luck getting past the voicemail, keeps asking for an order # but the automated confirmation only gives a DPID# that is not what they need. Most phone reps speak little to no English, they babble so fast I cannot understand them, one gal after 3 times asking her to slow down and speak up, I finally asked to speak to someone else so she got super snippy then hung up.

One said there was a "hold" on the order due to a problem with the address, but no one contacted me in over a week? No, the address is right. After six people giving me the run around I gave up and cancelled the order. I did find the same computer elsewhere (brand new in the original box) for $100 less and had it in 48 hours, it pays to shop around.

2 months ago I purchased a Dell Inspiron Laptop. It worked okay for the first 2 weeks. After that it would not perform, I could barely boot it up. It is under warranty but Dell will not allow me to send it back to them so they can fix it. So I spent no less than 15 hours with Dell technicians trying to fix the laptop with the Dell Connect, where they take over your computer remotely. After numerous emails where they basically ignored my request to send the computer back I finally spoke to a manager at Dell. He told me Dell would not let me send the laptop back to be fixed, (even though it is under warranty).

I spent $550.00 for a broken laptop. Basically Dell stole that money from me. And now Dell is stealing my time by forcing me to spend countless hours with the computer "experts" attempting to fix my laptop. Since I was unwilling to waste any more time with Dell's futile attempts to fix my computer, I have dropped it off at my local computer repair shop so they can fix it. I also filed a report with the Attorney General's Consumer Complaint Department in my state.

I have bought less expensive laptops with smaller hard drive and none of the fun features such as touch screen for my kids and they have lasted longer. I only used this LT for my Part time enrollment in College and got about 9 months of actual use out of it and one day it would not turn on and after I took it to two places, they both said it was a faulty port or the motherboard but due to the way they are manufactured even if it was just the port, I would still have to replace the motherboard.

With the cost to replace it, I might as will buy a different computer. Due to the Dell quality, I will never buy another one. It ran slow, was restarting, always needed updating, the keys (1QAZ) most of the time would not work (I have never spilled anything on it). I am embarrassed to say that 10 years ago I had a Dell that I paid almost $1000 for and it gave me a lot of problems. I said back then I did not want another Dell but I thought with the years that had passed maybe their quality had improved but now I realize I just forgot how crappy the computer really was. I will not make that mistake again.

I own a Dell XPS 13 laptop and I am being informed that the hard drive is at risk of failure by technicians at the Microsoft store and by Dell diagnostic scan. Furthermore my USB port and touchscreen are not working. I have owned this machine for less than three years ago as a retirement gift from my children. I am surprised and disappointed that the hard drive would be at risk of failure so early in its life span. This was my first experience with owning a Dell laptop and it has been a frustrating one. Dell technician advised me to get a new SSD, but she also said it is out stock now. How you can best help me resolve this situation. BTW, my next laptop purchase will not be a Dell.

I ordered two new computers from Dell just this month (July 2017) and found that the Adobe was not included and called customer support when it arrived. I thought it was checked off when I ordered it. It was offered for $70.00 at the time of purchase, but it did not seem to be on the receipt. The $70 Adobe is still offered on the website with new computers. As I opened it, I called. Was on the phone for over an hour with tech support in India as I noticed it was not installed. I rechecked the receipt and did not see it there. The call was rerouted numerous times only to be told it could not be had for under $300.00 for each computer. The price of the computer had changed and was hundreds higher as well so I could not send it back and get a new one with it purchased on it.

It is still offered for new computers at the time of purchase as it was offered, but the price is not accepted at what I bought it at, even though the computer had just arrived that day to my home. When I opened the computer, the laptop power switch on one computer seemed to stick and was hard to get started. The second computer did not have this issue and restarted fine. I started it a few times with no problem, but the next day the computer power switch was still sticking so I decided to return the computer for repair. This too was another call to India for over an hour, going from tech support to consumer support and all that was needed was a return label.

Dell knew within minutes that all I needed was a return label, but it required over an hour to get the right department and have an email sent days later for the repair label. I have returned the one computer for repair, and it is a brand new computer, just opened and out of the box, but the lack of customer service is making me wish I had bought a different one from a different company. It kind of feels like bait and switch as I cannot get what was offered to me at the time of purchase. Dell did give a $100 refund but the software would be over $300 to purchase on each computer or $600 total and my time spent on this is too extreme. When the calls transfer to India, they transfer back and forth and don't get resolved. It is very frustrating. When you cannot get what you felt was ordered as you open the computer it is very frustrating. It should have been a 5-minute call to get a label to send back the defective computer.

My son purchased the Inspiron 15 5000 series for me for Christmas 2016. By April 2017 I discovered the screen pulling away on the left side. I now have several heavy duty rubber bands at the base of the screen by the hinge keeping it together and must hold hinge and screen when opening and closing or the whole thing will fall apart! Of course the warranty is up.

Judging by the amount of complaints regarding the Dell hinges these laptops should be recalled and be repaired at no cost. I'm a 57 y/o woman who lives alone and I'm the only person to touch this laptop and I certainly never dropped it or damaged it in any way. I'm really sorry my son spent his money on something that's so poorly made and will have to be replaced by a non Dell less than 2 years out.

It disheartens me to write this, but I want other buyers to be aware of what is on the computer market right now. I made a purchase via Dell of a brand new All-In-One, not even refurbished on their website. I mean the kind that still has that factory certified smell and sticker proudly protruding from the nice card board box dawning Dell's famous logo. Well darn it! This Trekkie wanted to see what this thing could do! Ohhh and Awww were everywhere. It is even touch screen! I could barely believe it. (My last purchase was 8 years ago!).

Now with a grimace, it had not even been week two, I had two programs going, Maya 3D Animation and Spotify. Complete freeze and crash. Now this machine should be well capable of handling these functions. I went on to close other programs and left Spotify open. Spotify was not streaming appropriately as if it could not handle a simple song load. Very disappointed. Now on to the Customer Service conversation... to be continued for the resolution on this one.

I absolutely hate this laptop (Inspiron 15 5000 Series). Stupidly, I bought this because it was the cheaper option at the time and I needed a laptop immediately for work. Last time I'll ever buy a Dell. I've always loved my HP laptops, and this is my first AND LAST Dell. This laptop is slow, sluggish, and freezes all the time. Almost every other time you turn it on or shut it down, it forces you to do an update which sometimes takes up to 30 minutes. So if you ever need to use your laptop right away, forget it. You'll turn it on and have to leave it for up to 30 minutes before you can even log in.

And I've tried to find settings to adjust the automatic updates, you can't control it. Then after it does an update, half the time it says it can't load my personal settings and I either have to shut down, go through the whole process again! I do not recommend this product, nor would I ever recommend any other Dell computer. Do yourself a favor, spend a few hundred more on an HP and save yourself the headache and aggravation.

When I ordered a laptop on 6 they promised it will be delivered in between 9-14 but I got my laptop on 27th of June after 5 canceled orders. I don't know why they won't even contact us before canceling the order or at least sent us a reason for cancellation. Got my laptop delivered 2 weeks after the promised delivery date and my order got canceled 5 times.

I sent so many emails to Dell but I did not get any response from them regarding the status of my order. Every day I spent 2 hours contacting the sales support and some of the sales people are disconnected the calls when I am on call. At the end I got 3 laptops in 2 days, among these three 2 of the laptops are from canceled orders. I tried to contact sales department head for North America but the sales department did not provided me any. I have sent a mail to person who initiated my order she did not responded and got a return mail that she is out of office and shared some mail id and I contacted then also I got the same reply, I have sent email to about 10 of them but I got the same reply OOO (out of office). This is my fifth order: ** (laptop delivered for this order)

I purchased a laptop before 1 year ago. They provide good service but after warranty they very, very bad service because my laptop is Windows 8.1 with genuine license copy. They do not provide product key and I want to reinstall again Windows 8.1. They told download and install single language but other than single language you can download all other but not single language which is for license copy and they told me if you want to install then you pay for it but why I am pay for it because I already pay 8000 for license copy. I pay 8000 means I can download anytime and I can install many time why getting issue for it so don't purchase Dell laptop. At the time of purchasing these is the issue

I have a 10 month old Inspiron 5500 computer that has failed three times and is presently in the Houston repair facility waiting on a part from "China". I have now been without a computer for 10 days and have no predicted delivery date. I obviously have a lemon. No one speaks English as a first language. No one wants to discuss an extended warranty or a replacement computer. I cannot get passed up to a supervisor.

I bought two Dell Inspiron 15 about a year ago and both of them have given me way too many problems than I expected. First connecting to WiFi was an issue and I tried to get it replaced but no luck so I had to get it fixed from outside. Then the hard drive for one of the laptops stopped working. I am a student with a busy schedule yet I had to waste time to get help for my products. The speaker quality wasn't so good either so I asked for an exchange or my laptop be fixed.

The other laptop still functioned but was in a much worse shape. When I got the laptop the hinges that connect the screen and the keyboard was tight and whenever I tried to close the laptop the be such that it would rip open. I tried to contact Dell for it but I got a trail of phone numbers to contact. I have spent hard earned money in a bad manufactured product which should have been replaced immediately.

Having been with Dell for more than 7 years now I never expected such poor customer service. I am posting this review that because the one side has already almost ripped and the other one is starting too. A bad product is helpless. It should have been replaced right away. Instead of confusing the consumer in a loop of helpless phone numbers.

Motherboard crashed after 30 days. The "expedited" repair took 2 weeks. Replaced motherboard and fan. When it was returned I had to spend another hour online updating various drivers. Now I have a refurbished computer less than 2 months old and nobody from Dell will return my call. I see someone else's motherboard crashed in another review. My techie friends says they haven't encountered the complete crash of a brand new computer this millennium. Quality control at Dell must be TERRIBLE for this to happen so frequently. My estimation - product is garbage, tech support is awful, consumer redress non-existent. First and last Dell product I will ever buy. I own 12 other computers.

Poor customer service and refusal to issue refund on the laptop that broke down in less than 30 days. Ordered a laptop from Dell on April 4, 2017. Received an email from Dell on April 14 requesting I call because there was going to be a delay in shipping the laptop I ordered. I called Sandeep ** at Dell on April 15, 2017 and the rep and said they no longer had the processor for the laptop I originally ordered and the newer processor was going to increase the price by $80. I said I could not afford to pay more and wanted to cancel the order. The rep decreased the price for the laptop by $40 and I decided to make the purchase. The new laptop was shipped out on April 25th and arrived at my home on April 28, 2017.

On May 18, 2017 I was using the laptop to send out an email and the screen went black and the power went off after the laptop made a clicking noise. I tried restarting the laptop without success and called Dell technical support and talked to Jefferson. After doing the tests Jefferson asked me to do the laptop did not turn on. I was emailed a FedEx label 24 hours later to send the laptop back to Dell. I emailed Jefferson and asked who I needed to contact in order to receive a refund. His email reply was to contact customer care. I called the 800# for customer care and was told I could not receive a refund because I had the computer over 30 days.

The computer arrived on April 28 and was sent back on May 25, 2017. I had the laptop in my possession for 28 days. I believe they are looking at the original order I placed on April 4th, which was canceled on April 15th because Dell no longer had the processor. I purchased the laptop through Dell Financial Services. On May 2, 2017 I paid $187.25 to Dell Financial Services, which is half of what the laptop cost. Because I did not have the laptop over 30 days I feel a request for a refund is not unreasonable, especially since Dell sent me a defective laptop.

I have emailed customer care regarding the refund a second time and was told to contact technical support regarding the refund. I emailed technical support and told them I was told by customer care to contact them regarding a refund and technical support emailed me stating I needed to contact customer care. I am getting the runaround. I have not heard from any representative from Dell for 9 days regarding a refund or at least a replacement on the laptop I sent out on May 25, 2017. I feel I have been treated with disrespect. They have my money and I have no laptop.

Price and overall reputation and features it had made it easy to work with and a sale on the product made it an easy decision, plus its reputation was that it was easy to work which I discovered was true. I also liked the warranty that was offered. It is fast and more reliable and held up for close to five years and only stopped working when it was dropped and broke. Hard to find replacement parts when it needed repair and they were expensive so most repairs had to be sent to shop when it broke. It would have cost too much to repair so we bought another brand.

My Dell laptop is 1 year old... I have had nothing but problems from day one. I have spent more time on the phone with people (outside of the United States) than I have spent being able to use my computer. I now have a useless computer. I have the premium warranty, they have replaced the motherboard. Still not working. Now they want to replace the hard drive which means I lose everything. I run a business from this computer and want a justified replacement which they are fighting me on. I am now waiting for a call back to file a complaint. DO NOT BUY A DELL PRODUCT.

Price and quality were my main factors for choosing Dell. It's not a high quality brand but it's good for the price point. I like they run on Windows platform. I am use to Windows so that helps. The size of the screen was bigger than the competitors' at the same price range. Even though it made the computer bigger, it was worth it. I watched a lot of shows on it, so screen size mattered. Dell met my initial expectations. However, I would like a high resolution web camera built in. My web camera was okay but it wasn't great. Especially for connecting with people from afar. Tech support free for the life of the product would good as well.

I received my Dell XPS 9365 Feb. 13, 2017. I immediately noticed a random beep that would come out of the right side of the laptop. It got worse and worse over time so I first contacted Dell on April 3rd, at this point the high pitch half second beep was so loud my girlfriend could hear it 3 rooms away across the house. I stopped using the laptop from this point so it has been sitting unused or has been at Dell support. I have also been having an overheating issue when I use it in my lap that cause CPU/CPU throttling, I don't believe this is something Dell can fix since the laptop is passively cooled.

1st attempt. I sent laptop in first time only to have the OS re-installed. The beeping issue persists. 2nd Attempt. They replace the motherboard, the beeping problem persists and now I have a bad pixel in the middle of the screen. They assume me they would fix this. 3rd Attempt. They replace the hard drive and the case. They didn't fix the screen that now has 9+ dead pixels. The L in the Dell logo on top of the laptop was missing. the bottom of the laptop is very scratched up and so is the area around the screws. Beeping is now quieter again like it was when I first purchased the laptop so it's likely to come back.

4th Attempt. They send someone out to my work to replace the screen. When I get it home I notice the plastic at the back of the laptop is broken and multiple tabs are missing so you can see into the laptop and it won't snap closed. Over the course of this I've had two emails go without response in over 48 hours and they tell me they never got them yet they responded to my reply of that email!

I won the Dell laptop on a scholarship at work for school. All I had to do was an essay with a few of my coworkers trying to win the scholarship as well. I worked hard for it and it was worth the while. The laptop is cool, fun. Music and speakers sounds great. Video and graphics are better than expected. App and programs run smooth and it's also fast working. I liked it. It's useful. I do a lot of school work, office work and personal too. It's fun using it in projects for parties and family reunion as well. Use it for photo albums too and pic videos, music, movies.

My experience with a Dell laptop was fair and the Windows features were great. Although the operating system crashes frequently it was my first time using a Dell. It is slower than most laptops and smaller memory. Its system was vulnerable to viruses and is costly for rebooting. The system blue screened four times during my ownership. Bigger drives and memory. My ex-husband bought the laptop. I was inexperienced with laptops at the time but it served the purpose for the use of the product. Although Dell was a major name at the time of purchase. I'm not pleased with it, I prefer Apple products.

I got a Dell laptop as a present from my family. They knew I wanted a laptop to get work done so they picked a laptop they thought could do that. They also knew I would be letting children handle it at times so they picked a laptop to accommodate for that and brought me a very durable laptop. It's a laptop that can be used to get a lot of different tasks done. It is especially good for students because of affordability and great performance. It was a very good product. Their logo is very familiar one, it's like from the logo you can trust that the laptop will be very durable. But it would be nice if more was done to make the laptop look more pleasing to the eye. As is now it looks a bit generic and just like another regular laptop.

The cost of the laptop was better at the time of purchasing. The commercials on TV helped to increase interest in laptop as well. The price of the Dell laptop (Inspiron) was good and was lower than other models at that time. The power cord frayed very quickly and had to be replaced. Also, the battery life is horrible. The laptop did not hold a charge well at all and many times the battery itself got too hot. The laptop did not meet or match my expectations. It did not work well over long periods of time. Nevertheless, the price was low compared to other models and Dell offered free shipping and other upgrades as well.

I had previously owned a Dell laptop and loved it. Once it was finally time to upgrade to a newer laptop, I did some research but still stuck with Dell. I like that my laptop can fold in half and act like a tablet or a laptop. It's also very easy to type on the keyboard. I like that the display brightness gets very bright so it's never hard to see what's on my screen. But while the brightness is a plus it is also a negative. If I'm sitting in a dark room, the darkest setting for the display brightness is too bright. Another problem I have is that the tablet mode sometimes gets messed up and I can't open the keyboard while in tablet mode.

My Dell Laptop was on sale at Best Buy and couldnt beat the price on a name brand laptop. The price was reasonable and it was ideal for the things I would be doing on it like surfing the web, email and burning home movies. It is easy to set up and use and durable. The built-in DVD-R drive has helped me burn home videos effortlessly. Without fail. The connection by WiFi makes Internet surfing easy. However, its graphic cards for gaming should be improved. It cannot handle a lot of high-end graphic games like games on Stream but people who are going to be gaming would probably get a higher end more expensive gaming laptop or computer desktop. Otherwise, my Dell Laptop has been very reliable.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Dell, now renamed Dell Technologies, is a computer company that was founded in Round Rock, Texas in 1984. Dell was started with the goal of making technologies like computers more accessible and affordable to consumers. Dell's various lines of laptops can fit consumer needs from basic application functions to business solutions.

• Inspiron 3000: Dell’s Inspiron 3000 series is an ultra-portable 2-in-1 laptop series designed to perform basic computer functions.
  • Inspiron 5000: The Inspiron 5000 is a 2-in-1 laptop that is capable of displays at stronger resolutions due to a more powerful processor than the basic model.
  • Inspiron 7000: The Inspiron 7000 is a high-performance laptop capable of running more taxing applications and some light gaming. The Inspiron 7000 15 is Dell’s most powerful Inspiron model.
  • XPS: The Dell XPS is a laptop designed for powerhouse visual quality. They are built to be durable despite their thin size.
  • Chromebook: Dell’s Chromebook 11 and Chromebook 13 are lightweight computers designed for home or business use.
  • Best for Dell laptops are best for casual users, home offices and businesses.

Compare Computer Brands