Dell Laptops

Dell Laptops
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.37/5
Based on 1,121 ratings submitted in the last year

Dell Laptops Reviews

Original review: Oct. 21, 2019

I've had Dell laptops for the past 8 years. Their Pro support is absolutely phenomenal! Glad I upgraded to Windows 10 before my warranty expired. And their technical support staff are based in the US, not out of the country. Highly recommend Dell!

Original review: June 28, 2019

Very excellent service in buying online and also return with no hassle. I will totally recommend. Got laptop but had to return. Nothing wrong but was not the type was Looking for. I look forward to get something else.

Get expert buying tips about Computer Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 9, 2019

I have bought so many different brands of laptops over the years and Dell is clearly the best brand. Every laptop I have bought from Dell has met my expectations. Dell makes good quality laptops. I just bought the Inspiron 15 5000 laptop and it's AMAZING! It's FAST and I LOVE it! The keyboard lights up too. Thank you Dell! I will never buy any other brand of computer except Dell.

Original review: April 14, 2019

Same design flaws as the 9550, same build excellence also. I had to recently replace my Dell XPS 15 9550. Since all the other performance laptop manufacturers seem to be aiming at the spoilt teenager market, I got the latest iteration of the Dell XPS 15, the 9570. Reasons why I had to replace the computer: Inability to replace or charge existing batteries - the DC power jack port mechanically failed after three years, which appears to have shorted the power supply diodes and making a battery replacement moot.

MOST IMPORTANTLY after 2 years the hinge suffered a catastrophic mechanical failure. The Dell XPS 15 design has a molded soft steel chassis bonded to the carbon fibre palmrest. This is extremely strong, but also quite flexible. The lid of the laptop requires about 1-2kg force to open, and this not only stresses the connection of the hinge to the chassis, but also puts mechanical stress on the screws that hold the backplate on (the two corner screws on the fan outlet side). The hinge is screwed into a molded screwblock that is bonded to the carbon, and connected to the rest of the chassis with a strip of soft steel only 0.8mm thick. This WILL break over time, absolutely no two ways about it. Your machine therefore has a life of around 3 years, irrespective of the excellent health of the internal components, which are still going strong.

It is a pitiable waste of a machine to throw away something that STILL WORKS just because Dell do not offer more than a 1 year breakage warranty. I'm not suggesting this is planned obsolescence, more like shoddy engineering. It is more than possible to reinforce the chassis with epoxy resin (or an x-brace of molded steel) where the DC power cable runs through to its inlet on the mainboard. Dell have opted not to look at this. They have not replied to several attempts to get their attention.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2020

We contacted Dell to inquire about hardware compatibility of the UP3218K monitor and how to obtain one for testing to support a larger purchase. The dialogue with their offshore support was near incomprehensible as sales & tech support had absolutely no understanding of the product nor the market (e.g. content creators) the product is targeting. We commonly use offshore support for our data centers and generally have not had a problem with conversing, but the Dell team barely spoke English and had such a heavy accent we could not understand them without frequent repetition.

As our comms infrastructure is state-of-the-art, so we know the issue was not line quality of the circuit or other comms degradation issue. These people just did not speak English sufficiently to carry a technical dialogue. Sad. Dell has a product that possibly meets our needs, but we just won’t fight a frustrating uphill battle just to give them our money. There are just too many other options with competent support and a low threshold to discuss our needs.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dell?

Original review: Jan. 18, 2020

Here is my honest opinion about Dell. If you are one of the few who receive a perfectly good dell computer and you have no issues, great. For the rest of you, be warned, Dell computers have a multitude of issues some repairable, some not. I ordered a dell xps 13 top with all of the bells and whistles. This laptop is rated the best for your money. It wasn't cheap, about $1600, but I thought it was worth it. Two days after receiving the laptop everything started to fail. The fan is incredibly loud and sounds like I'm standing next to a river and the computer actually doesnt work. It cannot locate the internet.

Here is the major issue. I called dell, was put on hold for over an hour. Technical support walked me through everything to find the solution. We even did a factory reset. The result, no fix, a waste of 2.5 hours and waiting for a new motherboard. I called back the next day to discuss getting my money back and I was placed on hold for over an hour. The end result of the conversation was to wait for the parts and see if that solves the issue. A week passed and the tech installed the new motherboard, still did not solve the issue, he reset the computer again, again, that did not work.

I immediately called customer service. I was placed on hold for over an hour. The operator put me in touch with tech support where I was speaking to him and after 10 minutes the line went dead and when I called back I was told they have left for the evening. The representative hung up on me to go home. If you dont mind wasting precious time on hold and fixing your computer. Go ahead and spend the $1600 on a beautiful sleek brick. I would be incredibly happy if someone from dell would fix this issue. I'm sure dell has enough money to hire some more people in customer service. Especially if they are selling $1600 bricks to their customers.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2020

I had my identity stolen about 3 years ago. The robbers also broke into my Dell account, and changed delivery address to theirs, in South L.A. Watts, Los Angeles. They ordered a computer, about 3000 dollars worth. It was delivered to that address. I talked to Dell's fraud department. They Wanted a copy of police report. I faxed it to them. It was not enough. They wanted a fuller report. Took me months to get the fuller report from Whittier p.d. I spoke to Dell and told them I was having problem getting the final report. They started asking me questions about streets. They named several. I've never lived on any of the streets. Then a couple more questions, I could not say yes to any of the questions. (I'm sure those questions are all computerized.)

All the other 20 or more merchants denied their requests for credit. Except Dell. They, Dell, are crooks. Making those changes without contacting me. I even have the delivery address, right in the middle of worst part of L.A. City. Dell still billing me. My New Year's resolution is get this finished. I'll have to call them to fax the final report. It has caused a lot of anxiety in me. I am at a loss of what else to do. I contacted government authorities. They can't help. Donna

Original review: Jan. 14, 2020

To start, I received a brand new laptop that had a bad keyboard right out of the box (12/11/2019). I used the laptop for a couple of days to see if the issue would have much of an effect on my performance. It turns out, when the "2"/"@" key does not respond to keystrokes consistently, it becomes a problem. So, I contacted support to get this resolved (12/13/2019). Instead of offering to send a new computer, I was given the option of either mailing my computer in for repair or having a technician come to my house to repair it (I got the pro support, but I wouldn't trust Dell's repair technicians again). Not a great start, but I presumed this should not be a difficult fix.

Then, I find out that essentially the entire laptop needs to be moved over to a new palmrest/keyboard, from all of the major interior components to the display to even the power button. I had my reservations and even expressed them to support, but I was advised this was the best course of action to take. So, I agreed. I was starting with a brand new laptop, and if things go according to plan, I would then have a rebuilt laptop. Just what I paid for, ha.

I set up an appointment for 12/16/2019 to get the issue resolved and set aside the entire day to be available for the repair technician. He came in, removed the bottom of my laptop, removed the replacement product out of the box, and then realized that Dell sent the wrong product. This day was already shot, and now I have to set up another appointment to get my laptop fixed, and set aside another full day.

On 12/19/2019, a different repair technician came for this second appointment. He came with the new palmrest/keyboard unit, as well as the wrong keyboard that was sent for the first attempt. I had to initially explain to him why we would not be using that first product that was shipped. After that exchange, I was a bit concerned about whether he had done this type of work on a laptop before. He then spent several hours at my house, taking the bottom off, putting the bottom back on, taking the bottom off, putting the bottom back on, and repeat. This included a time when the display cord was sticking out by the hinge after he screwed the bottom on, and instead of taking the bottom off again, he initially tried to pry it back in with a screwdriver. At last, he decided to give up when he turned the laptop on and it said the hard drive could not be found. After being here for a few hours, he was at his breaking point.

At one point, he told me he believed the new palmrest/keyboard may be defective and that Dell often sends out refurbished parts for repairs. So, the repair technician called the Dell Support line for technicians and told the representative there was not anything more he could do. He had seemingly tried everything and nothing was working. There was something amiss. After a short conversation, the technician handed his phone over to me to talk to the Dell representative, who then told me I would need to send my laptop in for repair. I emphatically told him that was not acceptable. This was a brand new laptop that was already just essentially rebuilt. I was not going to accept what was going to amount to a refurbished laptop. I was sent a defective product which was rendered unusable after their repair technician tried to fix it.

The representative then said he would be willing to order me a replacement and that someone would reach out shortly and that I can expect a new laptop in 7-10 business days. So, after this mess, I actually had to advocate for a new laptop to be sent. On top of that, 7-10 business days is not a short amount of time to be without a laptop (note: it took longer).

I expressed my displeasure with my experience in an email to support that same day on 12/19/2019. In it, I also expressed concern with sending back the laptop with the SSD in it, as I have sensitive information on it (attorney-client and other confidential files). No one responded to this email, ever. I know it was received because that was the message replied to when my designated support representative, Stephanie, stated she noticed I had received "assistance" from Daniel while she was out of the office. I am not sure who Daniel is, as prior to that email I received from Stephanie on 12/23/2019, no one reached out to me after the conversation I had with the Dell representative when the repair technician handed me his phone. Maybe that was Daniel; I did not catch that person's name.

It was not until 12/24/2019 that I received notice that Dell put through the order to have a new laptop sent to me. Thank you for the prompt attention (sarcasm). The new replacement laptop finally arrived on 1/13/2020. I again expressed my displeasure to support in an email similar to this review, and gave them a chance to try to make this experience right. The response was "I am very sorry the original system didn't work out."

Original review: Jan. 4, 2020

I bought laptop. Someone stole laptop from my house door because Fedex guys did not take any signature on laptop. So i complain to Dell customer care and submit police report but they are taking more time to approve my request. They did not give one my update request. I submitted police complain but they taking more time. I pay my full money on my laptop but i am still not getting refund or new order. I really upset about with Dell. I never suggestion to anyone for Dell.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2020

Sent open boxed item without inspection. No shipping damage from outside but there was a big hole between screen and top right bedazzle. Did not sent replacement, full refunded instead and I lost the black Friday deal on it in the meantime. Very unhappy with their service and did not expect such unprofessional manner from a company like DELL.

Avoid expensive home repairs

Take our two minute quiz to find the right home warranty for you.

Dell expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Dell, now renamed Dell Technologies, is a computer company that was founded in Round Rock, Texas in 1984. Dell was started with the goal of making technologies like computers more accessible and affordable to consumers. Dell's various lines of laptops can fit consumer needs from basic application functions to business solutions.

• Inspiron 3000: Dell’s Inspiron 3000 series is an ultra-portable 2-in-1 laptop series designed to perform basic computer functions.

• Inspiron 5000: The Inspiron 5000 is a 2-in-1 laptop that is capable of displays at stronger resolutions due to a more powerful processor than the basic model.

• Inspiron 7000: The Inspiron 7000 is a high-performance laptop capable of running more taxing applications and some light gaming. The Inspiron 7000 15 is Dell’s most powerful Inspiron model.

• XPS: The Dell XPS is a laptop designed for powerhouse visual quality. They are built to be durable despite their thin size.

• Chromebook: Dell’s Chromebook 11 and Chromebook 13 are lightweight computers designed for home or business use.

• Best for: Dell laptops are best for casual users, home offices and businesses.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team