2.79/5
Based on 144 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

1205 Dell Laptops Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

I bought a Dell Inspiron 15R laptop a few years ago and it malfunctioning in over 20 ways. After repeated contact with Dell they managed to send someone over. Very nice guy, took a look at the laptop and asked me some things, in the end he concludes that this laptop either needs to be replaced or needs a new main board. So he calls Dell and explains the situation, then I see him get quiet and turn to me. "Red light", he says. "I'm really sorry, but I can't help you..." he follows, clearly very embarrassed and genuinely apologetic. Knowing he's just Dell's puppet, I tried my best to thank him for at least trying to help and make him feel somewhat more comfortable before he left again.

But the laptop still had these 20+ issues. Did I mention that an almost exactly the same laptop I compared it against, was much faster when it was forced to operate at 800MHz (0.8GHz), where-as the Dell Inspiron 15R was running at a 2.1GHz base clock with turbo-boost up to 3.1GHz? Anyway, more calls with Dell lead to nothing, their promises to call back weren't fulfilled and conveniently their on-site live chat support just so happened to be "currently unavailable" for the ENTIRE YEAR OF WARRANTY. Every day. During their listed work hours.

In the end, I realized I was defeated and ended up paying €750,- for a brick I was already forced to replace with a different brand's laptop before Dell's 'warranty' was over, because it really was THAT unusable. From ethernet and wifi failures, to keyboard failures, and many more oddities that were all daily occurrences. I still have the laptop...in visually pristine condition (after undusting). And it shall always keep its name as the "Dell from Hell". -1000/10 for this utterly lowly company of scammers.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

I purchased a Dell i3567-3243BLK laptop from Staples; however, the laptop battery stopped charging. It rendered this laptop unusable. Since it was under a year from the purchase date, I took it back to Staples and I talked to the Ladera Ranch, CA manager. He wouldn't take it back and told me I had to contact Dell directly. After wasting my time at Staples, I contacted Dell directly and I returned the product to Dell after a $50+ charge to ship and have them troubleshoot it. After reviewing Dell's disposition on the Dell Repair Status website, I was informed there was a hardware issue with the DC power port. They stated it was an "Accidental" issue; therefore, it wasn't covered under the 1 year warranty. Since I purchased the SquareTrade 2 year warranty, I asked Dell to ship the laptop back to me.

I contacted SquareTrade/Allstate about the warranty I purchased based on the Staples Salesman's statement about how SquareTrade would cover everything else that Dell doesn't cover under their warranty. Not True. I submitted a claim within SquareTrade's website and it was immediately rejected. After calling SquareTrade's customer support I was also told they do NOT cover accidental damage. There was no accident on my part. The laptop simply stopped charging based on a hardware failure. This could be based on bad Dell design, use of cheap components, use of cheap materials, poor workmanship in assembly, bad QA dept., etc.

Long story short:
1) Don't buy electronics from Staples, based on their lack of customer service.
2) Don't buy a Dell laptop/desktop based on their lack of service and cheap product.

3) Don't purchase the SquareTrade/Allstate extra warranty.

Get expert buying tips about Computer Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

I bought a Dell Inspiron 15 3521. Motherboard of this product is very bad. Motherboard of this product is around 15000 Rs. It is costly. Under the warranty period product is working and company will give support properly without any cost. But after completed warranty period its services is costly. I don't recommend you to purchase laptop from the Dell.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

I bought a Dell Inspiron, it cost me 1400 and does not even work. I turn on the computer to try to do a simple task like online shop and the screen gets pixelated and freezes. I have great internet service and none of my other devices have issues like this. Should have stuck with a Toshiba.

Original review: July 31, 2018

Our Dell XPS13 for service under warranty and. On 7/24, DELL ARC was working on the system and placed it on a billable hold with a quote provided, on 7/25 he confirmed there were defective components and he would get more clarification as to why they were not covered under warranty, on 7/26 he confirmed the ARC had found customer induced damage, therefore it was not covered by normal warranty. I asked them to send me pictures of the damaged part as I was very sure there was no damage to the palm rest before it was sent out. In the whole week from 7/26-7/30, with numerous emails and pictures showing only watermarks, no medical/physical/drop damage. As I kept asking for an image of the replacement part. They sent me a picture this morning which clearly shows mechanical damage (See picture). Then they changed the story that the mechanical damage there was already there when they received.

In summary, they broke my computer and wanted me to pay the bill. Initially, they did not want to tell me the damage and just pay the bill. They clearly said there was no mechanical/drop damage. After I required for images, again and again, they sent me the picture showing severe drop damage. Then they said it was already there, it was very minor and could not be noticed with normal use. When they received and asked me to provide them with a picture before it was shipped.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dell?

Original review: July 23, 2018

Buyer beware! This is what happen to me; a day after buying the computer on Black Friday 40% sale. I saw that the computer has a lower price tag. I called to get the discount on the XPS 8930 base computer. This was granted. I had gone over the charges and saw that they had charged me for a Blu ray player. On the days that I purchased my computer, I reviewed the items detail list. I had upgraded to a Blu-ray player. I noticed that the listed information for the DVD player did not mentioned Blu-ray. So I called back to ask; "Do these two items, below, constitute a “Tray Load BDRE Drive (Reads and Writes to Blu-Ray disks)”." Tray load DVD Drive (Reads and Writes to DVD/CD) Integrated with WAVE MAXXAudio Pro. On 7/10/18 spoke with Thandrika id# **; she assured me that it is a “Read and write to Blu-Ray disks” unit.

I also wrote back to ** about the Blu-ray DVD player. Tejaswy ** did not respond, so I took it as being correct. When I got around to using the supposed sent Blu ray player it did not work. I called to have it fixed. All of the departments I talked with told me that the DVD player was not broken, hence they did not need to fix it. They refused to refund me the $50 I paid. They claim that the first refund was for the Blu ray player because they knew they had not sent to me the Blu ray player as the upgrade I paid for. My hope is that this explanation will spark a "class action lawsuit," because, if you are reading this you have been scammed as well.

Original review: July 19, 2018

On 7/4/18 we purchased a computer through Dell. We were able to get a great deal as the computer was on sale. The base price of the computer was $1,505. We were even able to pick out delivery date of 7/20/18. Then on 7/9/18 we received an email from Dell stating our order was now going to be shipped on 8/9/18 with an estimated delivery date of 8/15/18. Three weeks later but doable. On 7/17/18 we received an email from Dell asking us to contact them as there was a technical error with our order. When we called we were initially told that there was no problem and our computer would be shipped on 8/9/18. Then the representative said the order had to be canceled and could not be fulfilled as the computer was “end of life” and we had to order another one. We asked if we would still get the same sale deal as we did on 7/4/18 and they could not answer.

During our conversation we priced the new model of the same computer with Dell. The base price increased to $1,749 which is an additional $244. We asked to speak with the manager. He initially refused to speak with us. Eventually Sai said we would have to cancel the order and buy new. This feels like the old bait and switch game or fraud. Why did we get an invoice showing we placed the order followed by an email 5 days later saying our order was in process but the delivery date was postponed to "We don’t have your computer in stock. Buy a more expensive one." Just doesn’t feel right.

Original review: July 17, 2018

India and Philippines are manipulative and ignorant. Don't buy a Dell computer. They change information on your computers and Micheal Dell And Mcfee Antivirus they have your network access. Your privacy is violated whenever you log onto your computers. They should be ashamed of themselves.

Original review: July 17, 2018

Tried to order a new laptop (2nd one in 2 years) and received an email after a week that the original order had "technical difficulties". Tried to call the person back several times, but of course their stated office hours are: Office hours: Saturday-Wednesday 9pm-6am CST. SERIOUSLY? So I found my way through the Dell website maze to finally find a customer service phone number. I was transferred twice - after giving the order number each time - only to have them ask "How can I Help you?" Each time I was put back on hold and then they told me the same thing the original email said. No reason for the technical difficulty, no explanation. Just that we need to place a new order. Sorry, I don't think I want to give my credit card number again... You lost a sale and a customer Dell.

Original review: July 16, 2018

I've had a problem with 100% disk usage with nothing running since purchase. Multiple tech attempts led to returning the laptop for a hard drive replacement. Returned to me weeks later and it was worse than before. Once again multiple tech attempts to remedy. I requested a replacement computer after 8 calls only to be transferred from department to department. Started June 11 2018, now, after 19 calls I am at July 16 2018 with no resolution. If you just thrive on conflict and hate customer support of any kind, you'll LOVE a new Dell. Lonely? Want to talk to all kinds of confrontational tech support from all kinds of countries? Dell is your brand. I can barely type this. The computer is so slow. Just steer clear of Dell. What a huge waste of time and money. I will continue to attempt to get a replacement but I'm getting the same runaround every day I call.

Original review: July 16, 2018

I have had a Dell Laptop for 7 months. It is broken and needs repair. I called 1-800-624-9897. I couldn't understand them and they couldn't understand me. I think the guy pretended to transfer me 6 times changing his voice slightly. They wanted me to pay them 39.99 to look at my computer which is under warranty. I had a Dell many years ago and was very happy with it and their service team but it has really gone downhill. I'm writing this on my old Mac. I guess an old Mac is better than a new Dell. Don't buy a Dell!

Original review: July 13, 2018

Don't buy a Dell laptop or extended warranty from Dell! I have had nothing but problems with the Dell laptop over the last 2 years and now they will not honor the extended warranty that I purchased for a defect with the laptop.

Original review: July 1, 2018

I bought a new Dell Inspiron 7773 laptop - over $1,100 since I wanted something good - something that wasn't going to give me issues. Ends up, it's my fault for not doing my homework and seeing the overall reviews. I started getting pelted with urgent updates, but I couldn't perform any of those updates since SupportAssist froze. After searching it, come to find it's a very well known issue with Dell. I had to uninstall and reinstall SupportAssist (this is a brand new out of the box laptop and now it worked) - and I installed the urgent updates. Then... more updates, and more... and more. BIOS updates are never ending. I get them almost daily and each one requires an install and full reboot. Don't bother with Dell support, they are completely clueless. On top of all of that, it's slow. Very slow. Basically, I have an $1,100 paperweight until I buy another laptop. I'll do more research this time.

Original review: June 25, 2018

Purchased laptop from a College promotion. Paid for laptop and confirmed pricing through email. Once Dell processed payment it came through as declined. Contacted Dell and they said the price has gone up $1500 and the price they confirmed was no longer any good.

Original review: June 22, 2018

I purchased an Inspiron 15 5000 series. It had a good set of features for the price. But buyer beware. I have had nothing but problems since it arrived. Spent most of the first day letting it go through it updating and whatever else they do. Since then the Bluetooth mouse that I purchased with the computer works sometimes but mostly not. I was using it when it decided to quit last time. I have also has problems with it staying connected to my network. I have had to sign in multiple times. And as I guess everyone knows customer service isn't the best. If this doesn't get better I will be sending it back.

Original review: June 18, 2018

We purchased a very high end Dell XPS $3500 System laptop and docking station mid May 2017. We've experienced difficulty with our docking station SEVERAL times. Today it failed. And after calling customer support and being on hold and transferred about for THREE 3 HOURS Dell informs me that the PREMIUM warranty that I purchased along with Accidental damage support DOES NOT cover the DELL Thunderbolt docking station. I've been out of warranty for 9 day. The Thunderbolt docking station is NOT part of the warranty that we purchased and they will not extend the warranty even 9 days. In my opinion this is POOR, POOR customer service.

Original review: June 17, 2018

Bought an Inspiron 15 in 2017, very little use until 4-2018, today the plug inside the pc came loose inside the pc. I have never heard of this, is it a defect? Is it a fire hazard? The pc is for accounts is new, I know Dell isn't going to fix it, but has anyone else had this problem?

Original review: June 7, 2018

Recently I decided to give Windows a full go as I am very into gaming. Decided I'd go with a top competitor, Alienware. DO YOURSELF A FAVOR. READ THE REVIEWS. 2 years on the dot! My R17 decided to ** the bed. I started experiencing driver issues which caused my display to flash consistently along with shutting off completely. I called support and after a week was told I'd have to pay 450$ to reopen a warranty that only provided me with a tech coming to my house to repair. Dell refused to replace my PC. Finally got my display to work long enough to run some updates. Still have display issues to date (flashing solid colors, shutting off etc.).

After that came the overheating issues. Running at temps exceeding 95C. My fans decided to stop running and now I have to take manual control while gaming. Keeping my temps below 90 is almost impossible. Now I don't game much. Due to the high temps, I'm sure this resulted in hardware failure. I've reached out to a few companies to do laptop repairs and at this point I'm better off buying a new mobile rig. Very frustrating. Now I have issues with my audio. No idea what's causing this. Audio cuts in/out while doing just about anything. This is an issue that isn't yet consistent. Although at this point I'm sure it will become an everyday thing. The best part of this, is that I was told by a women working in support who barely spoke English that my laptop was fine. Way to go DELL. You have idiots who work for you. Thanks. Do yourself a favor and stay away from Alienware.

Original review: June 5, 2018

I purchased a brand new Dell Inspiron 7000 Series gaming laptop back in February 2018. Within the first few days of me turning it on, the computer kept giving me the blue screen of death. I would literally be on it for 5 minutes and it would crash, reboot, log back in, and crash again. I immediately called their customer support and I initially wanted to return the computer. However, they convinced me to just send it back to replace the memory card.

Dell's return policy is 30 days, which I knew this. I spoke with the tech person and he assured me that if it still caused me issues when I received back the computer, I will still be able to return it for a full refund. It took almost 2 weeks of my 30 days to send the computer in and get it back only for it to not work again. When I called back the computer, of course it was out of the 30 day window and my only option was to send it back again because it was "a Windows problem; not a Dell problem."

During the next few months, I had them do several remote fixes where they tapped into my computer and remotely figure out the issue and that I show they discovered it must be a Windows problem and that I would need to have windows reinstalled on the computer. I had to send it back in two weeks ago and just received the computer back yesterday. And what do you know; the computer still crashes.

They are still refusing to refund me my money and my only recourse is to exchange the computer... but not for a new one... no, they will only give me back a refurbished one! So not only did I pay for a brand new computer and have been without a computer for almost 6 months; but now I will get a refurbished one for the price of a brand new one!!!

Instead of throwing me around the ringer, they could just have refunded me my money when I first complained the first week. I am really disappointed in Dell. They no longer focus on customer support or quality in their products; it seems they only want to keep your money and do not care about the customer. They used to be my favorite computer company but since this lousy customer service experience and a loss of almost $1400, I will not be a returning customer.

Original review: June 5, 2018

Bought my wife a Dell Latitude for X-mas two years ago and this machine has been getting worse ever since purchased. Shuts down with no warning, doesn't respond to task manager is currently up to date with all recommended Window 10 updates and has had Dell updates and support assist diagnostics completed. I would never buy another Dell product again because all three I and my wife have owned have been a piece of junk during their entire life. Best notebook we ever had was a Compaq that lasted ten years before it became obsolete and wouldn't support newer OSs.

Original review: June 3, 2018

Dell laptop computers have always been dependable for me and my family, they usually become obsolete before they have issues. But I have never had major issues with Dell.

Original review: June 3, 2018

I bought this laptop for traveling and watching videos. It takes a while to get used to the finger pad instead of a mouse. The picture that it gives is very clear. It holds a charge fairly good. For what I paid it was a very good deal from Dell directly.

Original review: June 3, 2018

Dell is excellent especially in business computers. I have purchased four for my family. Durability and performance is great. My only complain is in purchasing and customer service for Puerto Rico customers. We are processed through the Latin America Division and their service is very poor. I am sure Puerto Rico residents would be very happy to see they can buy from the US division. But I know this is just wishful thinking. Thank you very much Dell for your great computers.

Original review: June 3, 2018

I have Dell concierge service and they have helped me when I get into trouble. I have had to have a new motherboard and they sent it back to the factory with no problems.

Original review: June 2, 2018

I always buy my computer from Dell. I have purchased a desktop, laptop, tablet, etc from Dell. They are the best to work with, best value for the money, customer support is the best. I also have an iPad, but always go back to my Dell computers.

Original review: June 2, 2018

The 13" Dell edge-to-edge screen gives me the same visibility of my 15" but in a smaller profile. The solid state drive allows for nearly instant startups. The keyboard is compact but feels great and is sturdy to the touch.

Original review: June 2, 2018

I purchased my laptop from QVC. It included lifetime tech support. That company now wants to charge for things like removing malware, etc. Those services were free. I don't need them to install a program, I can do that myself.

Original review: June 2, 2018

The Dell laptop is fast. Works good for me, some lessening accuracy and timing of touchpad and freezing of cursor and inaccuracy. The lighted keyboard is a plus. But it weighs too much.

Original review: June 1, 2018

I can't stand dell computers anymore, the Dell desktop I had years ago was wonderful and did everything I could possibly need or want. This Dell laptop that I now have doesn't work well with a lot of my software or at all with some. You're constantly required to purchase new versions of their software and computer viruses protection for your computer. This laptop is more of an expensive paper weight than a working computer for me.

Original review: June 1, 2018

I have had overall wonderful use of my Dell. Its durability and memory has been amazingly wonderful, considering my old man has dropped it and accidentally kicked it off the foot of the bed. It still functions 100% and only damage was the calculator on keyboard does not work all the time.

Dell expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Dell, now renamed Dell Technologies, is a computer company that was founded in Round Rock, Texas in 1984. Dell was started with the goal of making technologies like computers more accessible and affordable to consumers. Dell's various lines of laptops can fit consumer needs from basic application functions to business solutions.

• Inspiron 3000: Dell’s Inspiron 3000 series is an ultra-portable 2-in-1 laptop series designed to perform basic computer functions.

• Inspiron 5000: The Inspiron 5000 is a 2-in-1 laptop that is capable of displays at stronger resolutions due to a more powerful processor than the basic model.

• Inspiron 7000: The Inspiron 7000 is a high-performance laptop capable of running more taxing applications and some light gaming. The Inspiron 7000 15 is Dell’s most powerful Inspiron model.

• XPS: The Dell XPS is a laptop designed for powerhouse visual quality. They are built to be durable despite their thin size.

• Chromebook: Dell’s Chromebook 11 and Chromebook 13 are lightweight computers designed for home or business use.

• Best for: Dell laptops are best for casual users, home offices and businesses.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs

Round Rock
TX
www.dell.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business