2.08/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

1247 Dell Laptops Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

I am so not impressed, Bought a Dell computer in September, received it in November, and it hasn’t been working properly since day one. It takes half an hour to turn on, amongst numerous other problem. Today I got a computer technician to look at it who ran quite a bit of test on it tell me my hard drive is defect. So I called Dell because it’s under warranty. With a less than 30 seconds test they can tell it’s apparently not it, while my computer tech did over 3 hours of testing to come to that conclusion.

So I got transferred to software support where I am told I will have to pay for them to check it... You guys installed the software on it and now you want time to pay to fix something that you may have done wrong on top of paying for a computer that never worked properly since day one... One thing is sure. To anyone that I know that will be looking to buy a computer I will tell buy any other brand than Dell, like seriously my old Sony Vaio that is 9 years old perform better than what I got from you.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

I'm on a fixed income. I can only make minimum payments; 84 percent of which goes to interest. I believe this is Usury. My computer is down for the 3rd time in a year and the fifth time since purchased. I have been promised replacement parts twice, then told the parts are no longer available. I can't afford another laptop. I feel that I'm being coerced into buying even though it will be years before I dispatch my current balance (according to Dell.) This was not my first Dell computer but it is the last.

Get expert buying tips about Computer Brands delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

As a parent, I purchased 2 Dell laptops for my sons for college, and these laptops had to be repaired within 1-2 years due to screen blackouts and hard drives. I will not put myself through this misery of trying to rely on Dell products to work. My sons have a full schedule at school, each son is 3 hours away from us, and this became an issue because of the repairs.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

Used Dell forever. New XPS Dell computer purchased by me November 2018 had software with malware and tracking cookies out of the box. Upon setting up my Wifi connection and email I tried to download the software from Epson to run my new printer. I kept going to a web page telling me that to download drivers I would need a monthly paid subscription. Called Dell support would not help. Found the software in the drop/add programs section from the factory and deleted it. No problem. Then ran software to detect ad cookies. Over 600 of them. Kept happening after I erased them three times a day. Dell would not help. Sent back the computer. Spoke to 10 different people at Dell and they could not grasp the truth or they were not allowed to help. They use to have the best service.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2019

I bought a Dell Inspiron laptop 2.5 years ago for my daughter for her use at college. Worked great for first 1.5 years. Kept crashing. I had to reformat hard-drive and reinstall software. This worked for the next semester until around Thanksgiving of the year. It crashed and would not start up. Took it to PCW - the motherboard died. I had paid over $700 for it. I contacted Dell - they would do nothing. For Cyber-weekend, I went to EBATES.com and then to the DELL site (I have had DELL computers for 25+ years without any problems until now). I was able to get 15% rebate on a new Dell Inspiron 15 inch laptop. After 3 weeks, I got an email indicating there is a DELAY in shipping it.

A couple of days later, I got an email from Dell indicating they CANCELED my order, no explanation as to why. I had to call them and after being transferred to 6-7 people and to a person I could understand -- I was told they did not have the parts. THIS MEANS THAT THEIR ADVERTISED COMPUTERS with no configurations being able to be changed ARE CUSTOM BUILT. They do not have a system to indicate that they do not have the parts to make the computer. I called DELL, they simply said for me to make another order. NO DISCOUNT, NO SUBSTITUTION, NO NOTHING. No present for my daughter's Christmas. I checked other brands - but could not find another computer that was within my price range.

After Christmas, I went to DELL OUTLET. I found a refurbished computer, this time I added the 4 year extended warranty as after she graduates, she will need it for graduate school. I sent Michael Dell several emails. He only passed the email to other people in his company - they would not even give a rebate for the extended warranty. I guess they know, their computers will not last. Dell representatives were not polite either. This is the last Dell computer I will ever buy and I have spread the word to my company (now I know why they stopped buying Dell computers).

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dell?

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

Over the years, I have owned 3 Dell laptops and a multitude of desktops, but I very highly doubt I will ever buy Dell again. Why? I understand an occasional lemon, but it seems this is now their standard - and their customer service is not much to get excited about. (** was extremely rude in her correspondence with me.) I have had this system 8 months... It has frozen up randomly, but I've been patient with that because I know I tend to ask a lot of a system. Now a fan has crapped out and I have the options of sending my laptop away for 10-12 business days so it can be replaced. They can charge me $39.99+ to send a tech out, or they will send parts and I can replace them myself.

I will be replacing them, as I spent way too much money on this to send it off into Lord knows where! Finally, the cords ALWAYS break, even with very careful use. This last one had exposed wires WHEN I RECEIVED it, so I have been extremely careful from Day 1...still it broke. Yes, they're sending a new cord - but obviously they KNOW these cords are a problem, yet they don't do any better? Dell, you used to be the best...now you're just a has-been!

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

We ordered a brand new laptop for Christmas that won’t boot up. Period. The company has no customer service for returns until after the new year! And we have to pay to ship it back which is strong incentive not to exchange it and run the risk of getting another lemon.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

My Alienware laptop stopped working shortly after a year. On site service came out 4 times to fix it and could not. Dell broke the battery after it was sent to the factory, and refuse to fix batteries.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

It started to fall apart 1 month after I got it. Keyboard died in 2 months. Hard drive died in 4 months. Motherboard still alive for 8 months, that surprised me. I paid $800 for this **. DO NOT BUY ANY Dell!!! It's the worst company!! They are selling ** only!

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

I bought a Dell laptop in March of 2018. It crashed in October. Started slowing down for about a week and then froze. It's not a Latitude 5580. Called in for support. What a nightmare. Got transferred around to the wrong people. Finally called the guy who sold me the machine. He got some action going for me but at the end of the day the support was useless. They told me to send the machine and they would fix it. They included form with the box that they sent. I did not check the box on the form giving Dell permission 2 remove my data from the machine.

They sent the machine back with a new hard drive. Obviously my data was gone. I had several calls trying to get the machine running with the new hard drive. They sent me back my old hard drive but would not assist me getting the data off of it. The machine is now running again but extremely slow. I don't really trust it. Don't want to work on it and have it crash and lose data again. I'm going to have to buy a new machine from someone else. Dell will not even consider replacing this even though it is obviously a lemon. Do not buy Dell.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

I am writing this review here because Dell would not publish it - twice! This is what they said both times: "Our staff has read your review and values your contribution even though it did not meet all our website guidelines. Thanks for sharing, and we hope to publish next time!" So here it goes for the consumer public...

I purchased a Dell Inspiron 1500 15 and received it on 12/3/18. As soon as I turned it on, the fan was running. It was loud and ran continuously for the 45 minutes to an hour I was using the computer. Plus, the bottom of the laptop got very hot, very fast. This is a brand new laptop with 8 gen i3 processor, 16GB RAM and 1TB HD. Not what I expected. I have an older Dell Inspiron from 2013 and never had fan or temperature problem. Tried to call Dell last evening but no one is there after 7 pm. Tried again today 12/4 but could not get through during regular business hours until after 11 am. When I finally got a rep, the line had so much static, it was hard to hear him talk. Rep offered to send a replacement. He could not guarantee the replacement wouldn't have the same issues. Not worth it. I will not buy Dell again. I am sending this computer back for a refund.

Post Script: Received timely refund for external Opti drive (approx $46) but not for laptop sent at same time and received in same Dell facility at the same time as Opti drive. After the poor quality and blocked reviews, I am not surprised they are taking their time with my refund. I would not recommend Dell based on quality and service. They are at best incompetent and likely intentionally delaying refund and blocking my feedback in a public forum. Very short-sighted if they want to stay in business.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

Do not buy Dell XPS if you need to get your work done. I would give zero if I could. Mine is brand new and it's garbage. I really do not ask for anything complicated! It's not doing its most basic things (like work as a typewriter and it doesn't even do that)! I really need to study for my exam, but I am so mad and frustrated, so I had the urge to write the review. Three things:

Non-working touchpad: Oh my goodness, there is a 5-10 second delay on the touchpad. I was trying so hard to move the cursor on the touchpad (which should be a non-issue) - it wouldn't move, screen is frozen. Then I noticed that seconds later all of the sudden, the cursor moves like crazy by itself all over the screen, although I wasn't touching the computer at all. To fix this darn issue, I went through hours with the agent to first, set up the time for this fix, and go through the procedure to "fix" this problem. But then, it still happens on and off, I really hate it, I hate myself for ordering this one and spending well over a thousand dollar on this junk.

Speaker: Wow, the basic thing I want is if the headset is plugged in I want sound in the headset and if not, sound should come out of the computer. This machine doesn't get it. When I need the sound out loud, it wouldn't give it unless I plug in the headset. And when I need to be quiet in the library, it blasts out the sound ALTHOUGH THE HEADPHONE IS PLUGGED IN. There is no clear way to fix it. I spent days in the library, trying to turn the machine off and on, to get it working. This is really hilarious.

No USB plugin. You need to buy a special extension to plug USB in for wireless mouse, memory cards, and any other devices. This is a huge inconvenience. Even if you get it connected with the extension cord you bought out of your pocket, THEY DON'T WORK properly and it is so hard to get it to work. How hard is that DELL? What happen to you?

And One More: The keyboard feels so cheap and really makes you feel like you are using a toy when typing letters. I hate it. I hate the fact that I bought this machine after spending hours reviewing other products. I wish someone pointed this out when I was shopping for a laptop. All in all, if you are preparing for a test, a project, or trying to listen to something on the laptop hoping to get the sound out of the laptop, do not buy this machine. This machine, will make YOU work and not the other way around.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

Please, Please, Please do not buy Dell. I bought my $659 laptop in Jan 2018 and Feb 2018 is when the fighting began. I have been fighting with them since 1 month in about getting me a laptop that actually works. It runs slow, it freezes, it works like a 4-year-old laptop. I was on a 3-hour call with their tech team 2 months ago and she crashed my laptop and I lost all kinds of files. I am officially filing a complaint against them with Consumer Affairs and my state's Attorney General about this. I have been reading reviews for the last month and everyone is saying the same thing about Dell's practices. I think it needs to be made more aware.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

I will never buy another Dell computer. Still in warranty but they will not cover its malfunctioning. The call center is staffed in India. Yes, India. Hard to understand. And they can’t do a lot for you in India.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

I will never purchase another Dell. From the time I ordered it, was told they were out of stock, spent another 200 dollars on the next one up, received it without an operating system on it, went through hours upon hours of time before it was downloaded, to now. Now I've had it for a little over a year. One year and 64 days to be exact. I know this because it is beginning to fail, the charger hardly works, the battery life has tanked, and the speed has fallen. I called customer service, and the lady who barely spoke English and read off a script the whole time offered me nothing but an expensive replacement to my charger and a service technician who would only charge me more. Of course my warranty expired after one year, and only two months later it begins to fall apart. A garbage machine with garbage customer service and no care in the world. BUY ANYTHING BUT DELL.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

My Dell laptop is garbage, super sensitive, overheats, loses internet connection all the time, closes pages for no reason, makes noises. You will need a cooling pad if used more than a couple of hours. I would advise everyone not to buy a Dell laptop.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

Within 3 months of buying the product, the touchscreen failed. I went through an exhausting process (6-8 hours) with "out of the country" support to determine if the failure was due to software or hardware. I wanted to send the product back, but the "out of the country" support insisted that I continue the online diagnostics. One diagnostic person took control of my computer. I was unable to boot the computer up again. I had to go to Dell's website and download the software to boot up my machine.

After another lengthy on-line session, I was instructed to send the product in for service. I received the product back with documentation saying the display had been replaced. The product did not work. After another lengthy on-line diagnostic session, they agreed for me to send the computer back in. When I received it this time, the touchscreen worked. Two years from time of purchase, the computer would not turn on. I replaced the ac adapter and battery. It is out of warranty. This time I'm replacing the whole laptop, but NOT with a Dell!! Very Dissatisfied with Product & Service.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

I bought a very expensive Dell laptop --the 15 inch XPS. The problem is that the Battery Charger is cheaply made in China. After only 5 months, the top part started to break. I called Dell and was only able to talk with "out of Country" individuals. I was told that the Battery Charger was not covered by the Dell Warranty unless it failed to charge the Computer. The fact that is was coming apart was not their concern. They stated that I could not talk with anyone in the U.S. My question is why buy a Dell Laptop Computer if the Charger is so poorly made? I know that I would never do this again. My Apple products have never broken down like this Dell.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

It has broken down 3 times in 7 months and the customer service is terrible. Now I am without a computer for 2 weeks again and whenever I called into the call center they tried to sell me on more services.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

This laptop is horrible. It comes with 29MB of memory with NO memory upgrades possible. The memory is built in and there are no memory slots. There is not even enough memory to allow windows upgrades, all I get is not enough memory. I have reverted to factory defaults and still not enough memory. Before opening the computer I went to Dell Support website and it shows how to do a memory upgrade and sells the memory module needed. I got the module, opened up the back of my laptop and discovered the glaring differences between what they show on their website and the real-time computer. My laptop is sitting, collecting dust on my closet shelf. DO NOT WASTE YOUR HARD EARNED MONEY LIKE I DID.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

I bought a DELL Laptop Inspiron 15 5567 in Sep 2016 for 70,000 INR. I also purchased extended warranty till 2020. Just after a year of purchase, the battery started giving trouble. When contacted DELL technical support, they suggested me to replace the battery, for which I have to pay Rs 7793. I was shocked as I have to pay 12% of my total purchase amount within two years and moreover, technical support person said, my extended warranty does not cover battery and its replacement cost. Adding to my shock she said, the replaced battery's warranty will be only for 90 days. Now tell me, should I have to replace the battery for Rs 7793 and what if the battery fails on 91st day, then I have to spend again 8000 bucks. DELL really sucks. I should have gone for HP. My old HP laptop works fine even after 6 yrs. My sincere advice don't go by DELL brand name.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

Dell Inspiron 15. Inoperative since day 1: As replacement to trusty HP, purchased new thru Micro Center. Startup repeatedly downloaded updates, to the point of being unusable. So after a few days, quit using it. Back to the trusty HP. Waited past Micro Center return period, so took it to a local computer repair specialist. Diagnosis: defective hard drive. Dell technical support unable to find problem. Still pretty much unusable due to excessively long startup time. Startup needs patience on your part. Maybe 5 minutes if all goes well. I threw it away. (Yes, will recycle it someday) Back to the trusty HP. Zero stars.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

I purchased a refurbished Dell Latitude E7450 system less than 3 years ago. During this time, I've had many problems with it. Its motherboard had been replaced last year, and it failed, too. The service department changed it last week and when I received the PC it still didn't boot. I don't know why they use defective parts and don't test the system appropriately before sending it. Now they'll send a technician to change it again (3rd time). My warranty will expire next month, and I bet the system will fail again. I don't think I'll ever buy Dell again.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

Dell has the absolute worst customer service. I purchase Dell laptop before 10 months and laptop touchpad not working properly. I visit Dell service center with the complain that touchpad not working properly. She said me that no issue with touchpad. Only you have to format laptop after that laptop work properly and she took my laptop with commitment of 3 days and she return me laptop after 5 days. After that I faced same problem again. I visit service center again that still my touchpad not working properly. She took my laptop for touchpad change for 2 days and today four days left still I didn’t get my laptop. How I trust Dell brand? There is no meaning of your brand. Very disappointed with service and product.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

1st off allow me to help any future buyer of a Dell laptop - Do not waste a single penny on a Dell laptop. Spent close to $1,500.00 on a top of the line XPS for it to operate correctly for one single day - as soon as a update was completed the main screen shuts on and off, on and off and it does this forever!!! Cannot fix it, after I send this review I am going to close it and break this piece of ** over my leg in half. To Dell: ** you and you ** product - never ever ever ever again will you receive another penny from me for any item you sell ever. I hope all other readers of reviews fully understand this and you want 5.00 to get help from customer support?? ** you.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

I have a DELL Inspiron 15 7000 bought November 2017. Constant power problems and turning itself off. Have updated every driver/bios including those sent by Dell tech support but still keeps happening. Have turned off hibernate and readjusted power settings. Still keeps happening. Dell are now IGNORING all of my tech support requests. I guess because it is still in warranty for another couple of months. Have had no problems in the past with desktops but as my first Dell laptop I would not buy again.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

I went into Best Buy looking for a machine with an AMD Ryzen processor and dual band WiFi card. I found this Inspiron 5575 with 8GB of RAM, 1TB HDD, Dual band wifi, touch screen, camera, and HD graphics card all for around $560. After having this product for a couple of days, I am very impressed. It is lightweight, has a lighted keyboard, great battery life, and a decent Radeon graphics card. My only complaint was that I would have liked to have a DVD-RW drive - but I could always get an external drive. This thing is fast too, very responsive and runs cool - I couldn't be happier with my purchase. I highly recommend this machine to anyone looking for a great affordable laptop! :)

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

I purchased Dell Inspiron laptop and I duly extended onsite warranty cover for 2 years. Whereas Dell hesitating to depute service personnel and advising to carry the onsite warranty covered laptop to the franchised service center. Few keys are not functioning then and there for more than 6 months. Service personnel tampered and broken the keyboard due to rough handling. Customer relationship is big zero in Dell.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

I purchased the laptop less than a week ago. The day we set it up we downloaded Office 365, Norton, & Google Chrome...boom, blue screen. Unfortunately, my wife was excited about the new computer and had done a lot of work that day. I contacted Microsoft and, based on the errors "Stop code: Drive IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL", Microsoft explained that it was a driver issue and we would need to contact Dell. I spent 30 minutes on that call, however the Microsoft guy was very helpful. I then called Dell and spent 50+ minutes on a call for them to tell me that, since I didn't buy an extended warranty (but I could right then for just $240!) they wouldn't assist me in retrieving my wife's data. I also had the option of paying $130 for a one time retrieval.

After explaining that it was a brand new computer that we were just setting up, they essentially shrugged their shoulders and said 'bummer dude' (at least that's how it sounded to me). They then said they could elevate my complaint but they would have to call me back. As of this writing, still no call back. They also implied that it was my wife's fault for downloading something that caused the blue screen (My wife has had her previous laptop for 7 YEARS and has never had an issue...she is by far the most careful in our house with what she downloads). I have currently have 6 Dell laptops in my house (2 purchases in the last week and 1 that's about 6 months old). I WILL NEVER EVER BUY A DELL PRODUCT AGAIN based solely on their outsourced, terrible customer service.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2018

I called tech support and it was so difficult to understand the guy and his supervisor. The first guy I spoke was rude so I asked to speak to his supervisor, who was nice but even more difficult to understand. I wish there was tech support in America.

Dell expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Dell, now renamed Dell Technologies, is a computer company that was founded in Round Rock, Texas in 1984. Dell was started with the goal of making technologies like computers more accessible and affordable to consumers. Dell's various lines of laptops can fit consumer needs from basic application functions to business solutions.

• Inspiron 3000: Dell’s Inspiron 3000 series is an ultra-portable 2-in-1 laptop series designed to perform basic computer functions.

• Inspiron 5000: The Inspiron 5000 is a 2-in-1 laptop that is capable of displays at stronger resolutions due to a more powerful processor than the basic model.

• Inspiron 7000: The Inspiron 7000 is a high-performance laptop capable of running more taxing applications and some light gaming. The Inspiron 7000 15 is Dell’s most powerful Inspiron model.

• XPS: The Dell XPS is a laptop designed for powerhouse visual quality. They are built to be durable despite their thin size.

• Chromebook: Dell’s Chromebook 11 and Chromebook 13 are lightweight computers designed for home or business use.

• Best for: Dell laptops are best for casual users, home offices and businesses.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs