Dell Laptops

Dell Laptops
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.22/5
Based on 1,111 ratings submitted in the last year

Dell Laptops Reviews

Original review: Oct. 21, 2019

I've had Dell laptops for the past 8 years. Their Pro support is absolutely phenomenal! Glad I upgraded to Windows 10 before my warranty expired. And their technical support staff are based in the US, not out of the country. Highly recommend Dell!

Original review: June 28, 2019

Very excellent service in buying online and also return with no hassle. I will totally recommend. Got laptop but had to return. Nothing wrong but was not the type was Looking for. I look forward to get something else.

Get expert buying tips about Computer Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 9, 2019

I have bought so many different brands of laptops over the years and Dell is clearly the best brand. Every laptop I have bought from Dell has met my expectations. Dell makes good quality laptops. I just bought the Inspiron 15 5000 laptop and it's AMAZING! It's FAST and I LOVE it! The keyboard lights up too. Thank you Dell! I will never buy any other brand of computer except Dell.

Original review: April 14, 2019

Same design flaws as the 9550, same build excellence also. I had to recently replace my Dell XPS 15 9550. Since all the other performance laptop manufacturers seem to be aiming at the spoilt teenager market, I got the latest iteration of the Dell XPS 15, the 9570. Reasons why I had to replace the computer: Inability to replace or charge existing batteries - the DC power jack port mechanically failed after three years, which appears to have shorted the power supply diodes and making a battery replacement moot.

MOST IMPORTANTLY after 2 years the hinge suffered a catastrophic mechanical failure. The Dell XPS 15 design has a molded soft steel chassis bonded to the carbon fibre palmrest. This is extremely strong, but also quite flexible. The lid of the laptop requires about 1-2kg force to open, and this not only stresses the connection of the hinge to the chassis, but also puts mechanical stress on the screws that hold the backplate on (the two corner screws on the fan outlet side). The hinge is screwed into a molded screwblock that is bonded to the carbon, and connected to the rest of the chassis with a strip of soft steel only 0.8mm thick. This WILL break over time, absolutely no two ways about it. Your machine therefore has a life of around 3 years, irrespective of the excellent health of the internal components, which are still going strong.

It is a pitiable waste of a machine to throw away something that STILL WORKS just because Dell do not offer more than a 1 year breakage warranty. I'm not suggesting this is planned obsolescence, more like shoddy engineering. It is more than possible to reinforce the chassis with epoxy resin (or an x-brace of molded steel) where the DC power cable runs through to its inlet on the mainboard. Dell have opted not to look at this. They have not replied to several attempts to get their attention.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2020

PLEASE DON'T BUY DELL PRODUCTS. THEY ARE NOT AT ALL CUSTOMER FRIENDLY. I bought a laptop in September 2019. Something went wrong with the laptop and it was not starting at all. So I have to send it to Dell warehouse as they don't have any local representatives anywhere who will provide technical support. So I send the system back to the company. After checking they told me that few of the parts were damaged due to some liquid in it. Now. I remember that there was no incident happened with the system that the liquid have gone inside. Still when they told me that I have to pay for the parts I paid it.

After taking the payment I got an email from the company after a week saying that they don't have parts in stock and it will take some time for them to receive it. So me left with no option have to wait for the parts to come in and the system getting repaired. I requested them for a loaner system as it was because of them that the repair was getting delayed. But they clearly denied to provide me any kind of courtesy help. I received the system after 2 months. When I received the system it was giving me some error immediately after starting. So I called up the Dell technical team. I was on call with them for almost 2 hours 15 mins and I did everything they told me to do. Even we tried to format the system but due to problem the system was not getting formatted. So the technician again gave me one and only option that send us the system and we will repair it and give it back to you.

Not even after payment almost $1,200 I am unable to use the system since last more than 3 months and I don't know still how much longer. This time also they gave me one and only option to send them the system. They didn't even had courtesy of saying that as this was our fault we will send someone on site inspite the guy was telling me to pay money and buy higher level warranty then only someone will come to my office to repair it. I haven't ha this kind of worst service ever even after spending high amount. Till date I have almost spend $1,800 and still the system is not working. And Dell don't support any customer. They just tell you pay money then only we will do something and even after paying money there is no guarantee in their work. Company whose words cannot be trusted.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dell?

Original review: Feb. 1, 2020

I have had my Dell Inspiron laptop for 18 months. I have not had a problem with the computer itself. However I was given notice that there were urgent updates that needed to be made to the system and the drivers and found out that I had to pay Dell extra to get more of a warranty to keep my computer updated. I have not had that problem with Lenovo or HP oh, they seem to be willing to keep their computers updated without additional charges to the customers.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2020

I am not one for reviews. In fact this is my first time. Nevertheless, I am so horrified by the dollar store quality of the Dell XPS 15 2 in 1, that I have no choice but to warn others before they make a horrible mistake. Within one month of purchasing this product, the audio system busted. Sound does not play. Even with earbuds, movies streamed from online including Netflix do not have any sound. As a music producer, you can understand why this is frustrating.

Within three months, the motherboard somehow managed to fry itself. I will say that Dell customer service is good, fast and on top of it, if you are willing to spend money and get the warranty. Specifically, the premium warranty. Nevertheless, the fact that these compounding issues are even happening is pure horror. The negligence that a company must have to just push out this product despite its failings makes me sad. It'd be one thing if this was an isolated issue, however, the sound issue is not mutually exclusive to me, as there are hundreds of others experiencing the same issue (Just look up Dell XPS 15 audio issues). The operating system can be quite glitchy at times, and the numerous bugs affecting the system since day one makes it seem as if they were embedded by Dell to punish its consumers for being so stupid that they would actually think to buy this computer.

There are a few redeeming qualities. The battery life is great, the best I've had of a computer so far. Also, it is very aesthetic, the touch screen is convenient and the screen is sleek. The operating system, when it is not being glitchy and trying to hurt itself, is very fast and kicks the crap out of other computers on the market. Let's not forget though about the adapters you must buy in order to even plug in a USB into your computer. HDMI, heck no that's a goodbye. Unless you're willing to waste more cash on the adapter.

Overall, I am pretty disappointed with Dell on this one. The crappy audio system, seemingly cheap parts, glitchy galoreness and the necessary adapters make me so upset that I never want to buy another Dell product again. I don't like HP in general either so looks like I am going to switch to a Mac. Anyways, If you're looking for a computer, consider buying the old version of the XPS 15 as my friend has it and it seems much smoother. I like Dell itself as a company and majority of their products and values. The quality of this one makes me really upset and it's very disappointing to me. I will not be looking for another Dell product for a very long time. Consider another product by them, or wait until all of these issues have been solved. Besides that, save your money and use it to wipe your behind because that's a better use of your money than the nightmare that this computer has become. Utter nightmare.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2020

RE: new Dell Precision 7730 laptop. I will never buy another Dell product due to the service I have received when buying a high end laptop and have no wireless card installed. After talking to one of your “guru” parts guy about which card is correct for this laptop model, I bought it. After waiting several days for it to arrive (no fast shipping!!!) I was told that the PRO support contract I purchased could not help me out by having one of their guys come out to install. So I went to local repair shop to install. It was the wrong card!!!! I had to buy the correct one at my local PC repair shop and pay them to install. What a freaking disgrace.

DELL has become so big and just does not have the service it did 10 years ago. The guy that sold this laptop to me should be fired. He certainly did not have the customer in mind but seems that all he wanted is a sale!!! If I could afford it I would toss this in the trash and switch to HP or similar. Somebody there has to know what a ** this whole experience was. But I bet you will not pass this up the line. Once again, I am done with DELL.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2020

I got a Dell laptop, there is the worse experience that I have experienced. The worse laptop ever, very slow, additional it comes with McAfee in there, so always bother you all the time when I turn it on. I will never ll buy another DEll computer in my life.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2020

Bought DELL G7 laptop for college student. 4 months later problems. Dell service worked to correct. Problem went away, came back over an over. Dell said to return computer to Houston for service "BUT THIS WOULD LEAVE STUDENT WITHOUT A COMPUTER FOR 6 - 8 WEEKS. No local service center- could spent money for GEEK SQUAD. THIS STILL WOULD REQUIRE 2 WEEKS MIN TO FIX. So now I have to purchase a new laptop in order to get the DELL G7 repaired so student will not be left without a computer.

Avoid expensive home repairs

Take our two minute quiz to find the right home warranty for you.

Dell expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Dell, now renamed Dell Technologies, is a computer company that was founded in Round Rock, Texas in 1984. Dell was started with the goal of making technologies like computers more accessible and affordable to consumers. Dell's various lines of laptops can fit consumer needs from basic application functions to business solutions.

• Inspiron 3000: Dell’s Inspiron 3000 series is an ultra-portable 2-in-1 laptop series designed to perform basic computer functions.

• Inspiron 5000: The Inspiron 5000 is a 2-in-1 laptop that is capable of displays at stronger resolutions due to a more powerful processor than the basic model.

• Inspiron 7000: The Inspiron 7000 is a high-performance laptop capable of running more taxing applications and some light gaming. The Inspiron 7000 15 is Dell’s most powerful Inspiron model.

• XPS: The Dell XPS is a laptop designed for powerhouse visual quality. They are built to be durable despite their thin size.

• Chromebook: Dell’s Chromebook 11 and Chromebook 13 are lightweight computers designed for home or business use.

• Best for: Dell laptops are best for casual users, home offices and businesses.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team