Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.67/5

Dell was founded in the early 1980s and was a pioneer in the home computer and technology industry. It has been a leader in high-tech computers, monitors, workstations, tablets, printers and laptops for decades.

BOTTOM LINE

Dell is a worldwide leader in computers, monitors, systems, laptops, printers and innovative technology. It offers a wide range of stylish laptops perfect for school, home and business.

PROS

• High-end features available
  • Multiple price points
  • Wide range of models

CONS

• Heavier than some other laptops
  • Budget laptops can break easily

Top Dell Laptops Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dell Laptops?

I have had Dell forever. They are very sturdy and you can trust them. My kids dropped them several times and they keep working. For college students they are a plus because come in many different formats. Very good job Dell. You have here a well satisfied customer. Thanks.

This has been a very good laptop. Good battery life, and great features. I would buy one again. I went from a desktop computer to this laptop, and never looked back. this is a laptop with many features that most computers do not have.

What is Dell?

Dell offers laptops for work and home, and its products include features that are important to students, fast-paced professionals and entrepreneurs. Some of the most popular laptops are:

• Dell XPS 13: This 2.8-pound laptop has an extended battery life and an attractive and sleek exterior frame. The screen is close to borderless, which adds flair to the design. It has a large screen, comfortable keyboard and 10th-generation Intel Core i7 processor
    • Dell XPS 15: This 4.5-pound laptop has an industrial design and high-level graphics performance. The keys and touchpad are larger than most other models, and it has a four-border InfinityEdge bezel on the screen.
    • Dell Inspiron 15 3000: This 4.96-pound laptop can replace many people’s desktop computers. It’s bulkier and heavier than some other laptops, but it offers a strong build, 6 GB of memory and an eight-hour battery. For the price (around $329), it is a solid laptop with basic features and a sleek design
    • Alienware M17: This 5.8-pound laptop is great for gaming because it features a ninth-generation Intel Core processor and DDR4 RAM. It comes in a variety of configurations that meet the needs of the serious gamer. While the battery life only lasts an average of 2½ hours for moderate gaming use, the slim design, dark colors and high-resolution display are added perks. This gaming computer starts at $1,349.99, and customized laptops can cost up to $4,229.99

How do Dell laptops work?

Dell laptops range from budget desktop replacement computers to sleek and innovative gaming PCs. Dell’s expansive line of computers lets you pick and choose the features that are important to you.

• Memory: Dell laptops come with many different memory options, ranging from 4 GB of RAM to 64 GB.
    • Storage: Storage drive sizes range from 500 GB to 2 TB and up.
    • Operating system: Dell laptops come with four different operating system options: Windows 10, Linux Ubuntu, Chrome and Chrome Enterprise Upgrade.
    • Display: Screen sizes range from 11 inches to 17 inches. There are touch screen and non-touch screen options. You can also choose the display resolution that works best for your eyes, ranging from HD and HD+ to Full HD, Full HD+, 4K and UHD+.
    • Processor: Dell laptops use seventh generation Intel Core to 10th generation Intel Core processors.
    • Life span: The average life span of a Dell laptop is three to five years.

Dell laptops prices

Dell laptops offer innovative, streamlined computers made for work, personal use and school. The most budget-friendly Dell laptops average around $350 to $400, while premium models, such as the Dell Alienware M15, can retail for over $2,000.

Consumers who want the style and functionality of a Dell laptop without paying retail prices can purchase refurbished laptops, desktops, monitors and servers at the online Dell Outlet. These refurbished laptops are 15% less than new computers and have the same impressive specs.

Dell also offers a price-match guarantee. If you find a lower-priced (and similarly configured) computer, tablet or monitor advertised online, Dell matches the price. It doesn't matter if it is from Dell, HP, Lenovo or Apple — Dell will match it.

Here are some of the most popular Dell laptops and the average cost at the time of publishing:

ModelPrice
    Dell XPS 13$1,149
    Dell XPS 15$1,299
    Dell Inspiron 15 3000$229
    Dell Precision 5750 Mobile Workstation$1,879
    Alienware M17$1,599

Dell laptops FAQ

Where are Dell laptops made?
    Dell computers are made in factories all across the world, including Ireland, Brazil, China, Malaysia and the U.S.
    Are Dell laptops good for gaming?
    Dell has specific laptops that are geared toward gamers. Dell computers aren’t specifically gaming computers, but its Alienware brand is a popular choice for gamers looking for power and speed.
    Do Dell laptops come with Microsoft Office?
    Yes. Most Dell laptops are equipped with a basic version of Office named Starter and can be upgraded to a more advanced version of Microsoft Office.
    Are Dell laptops reliable?
    Yes. Dell laptops are reliable, made of high-quality materials and have long battery life. They’ve been a trusted tool for students, business owners, bloggers and entrepreneurs for decades.

Are Dell laptops good?

Yes. Dell laptops are high-quality computers with strong batteries, sleek designs, high-end internal hardware and a variety of extras that make them a convenient tool for work or business. Dell laptops are sleek and portable, and there are many models to choose from to suit your needs and budget.

Dell Laptops Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dell Laptops?

Original review: Dec. 29, 2020

I'm on my second computer from Dell. Their products last a long time and are well made. They also have excellent technical support for a very low yearly price which is worth every penny as your computer gets older and has occasional issues. I chose to buy again from Dell when my 10 year old laptop finally became too old to safely use anymore because I trust their products and find their technical support outstanding. It is invaluable for someone who doesn't understand the inner workings of a computer to be able to call and receive technical support 24/7. I'd recommend Dell to everyone. If someone wants a reliable, long lasting laptop I trust Dell to deliver exactly that. I was very happy with my first Dell laptop, as well as pleased that it worked well for 10 years. I am just as happy with my second one from Dell.

Original review: June 15, 2020

I bought a new all in one Dell for myself that I basically use as a desktop but it is also able to be used as a laptop on battery power. It is touch screen and saves a lot of room! My husband bought a refurbished dell desktop and he loves it. Very fast and reliable. I have literally messed up so many computers prior to getting a dell that we ended up trashing them and buying another one that might last a year or two. My dell is over 5 years old now and my husbands is over 4 years old. Both are going strong and we are now dedicated 'dell' fans!

Get buying tips about Computer Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 10, 2020

Dell computers are reasonably priced, especially from 3rd party sellers such as Costco, where I got my XPS 8700 for $350 less than on Dell site (the savings would also pay for nearly 6 years of future Costco membership renewals!). When these gets older & needs repair, parts are readily available on eBay at very low prices, as are upgrades to the CPU, GPU, etc. Although today with laptops, all OEM's usually has the CPU & one stick of RAM soldered in place, if not all. Still one can upgrade their mini tower PC with ease. Have purchased several business or enterprise computers with physical TPM for securing drives for 5% or less of original price (last one was $105 for an over $3,000 as shipped 5 year old Optiplex PC).

Original review: June 9, 2020

I have used Dell laptops for years and built my own desktops. I have found Dell laptops to be very reliable, easy to use, great features and reasonably priced. They are also easy to upgrade. There are several online vendors which specialize in Dell upgrades and repair parts. The best deals on Dell laptops and tablets is to purchase from a quality aftermarket dealer of Dell computers. I have purchased many of my Dell laptops from **. I have never had a problem from this vendor and they offer a one year warranty on the Dell products they sell.

Original review: June 6, 2020

I was a HP diehard user until about 5 years ago when I received my first Dell I have been in love ever since. They run well have excellent customer service and stand behind their warranty. I use one for my business and one for every day games and life I can't begin to sing the praises of how well they work. Lots of memory and storage even for the less expensive ones. You can't go wrong owning a Dell. Easy to set up right out the box. Dell makes sure you keep it updated. And if for some chance you have trouble just call for a customer service rep to happily walk you through your problem.

Original review: April 6, 2021

I am looking for a new laptop and Dell Computer looked like they have the best pricing for value. Then Dell decided to get political in Texas. Companies should sell products and stay away from politics. I will not be buying a laptop from Dell, even is it costs me more.

Original review: April 6, 2021

I had an issue with my speaker on my laptop. In the speaker, the sound is cracking. It's been a month I have bought my laptop and facing this issue and they take remote access on my laptop but no resolution nothing I am very fed up with dell. Every friend says to me that don't take Dell but I don't know this is the service of Dell. plz, I recommend you don't take Dell.

Original review: April 4, 2021

I am 65 years old and Dell has proven to be my worst nightmare, as a consumer. I bought an Alienware computer for 2200.00 and it started giving me problems right from the start. I had premium tech support so I would call them. When I needed an onsite tech, they scheduled one and the guy didn't show or call. At that point I called my credit card company and they cancelled the transaction. Then they sent 2 techs out and fixed it. Before that the scammed me on the warranty and overcharged me by 26 dollars a month, then double billed me. All I can do now is sue, because if I cancel the transaction they will cancel the warranty. I wish I never bought the thing.

Original review: March 15, 2021

2 years ago I purchased a Dell Laptop, thinking that I bought good quality. Well, not quite true. I don't use it a lot but after a year the troubles began. I'm having issues typing the letter "i", it just doesn't take it, only after hammering 3-4 times, the same issue with the "9" key. Also, the laptop started to shut down in midst of writing or reading. I never experienced things like that on cheaper laptops, I am really disappointed. No, I do not recommend this Laptop Brand.

Original review: March 3, 2021

TERRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE. Beware! I bought a laptop direct from Dell with a warranty. It has broken within its warranty with a hardware fault (broken charger socket) but Dell refuse to honour their warranty. This is not the Company it used to be.

Dell Laptops Company Information