2.49/5

1225 Dell Laptops Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

Dell Inspiron 15. Inoperative since day 1: As replacement to trusty HP, purchased new thru Micro Center. Startup repeatedly downloaded updates, to the point of being unusable. So after a few days, quit using it. Back to the trusty HP. Waited past Micro Center return period, so took it to a local computer repair specialist. Diagnosis: defective hard drive. Dell technical support unable to find problem. Still pretty much unusable due to excessively long startup time. Startup needs patience on your part. Maybe 5 minutes if all goes well. I threw it away. (Yes, will recycle it someday) Back to the trusty HP. Zero stars.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

I purchased a refurbished Dell Latitude E7450 system less than 3 years ago. During this time, I've had many problems with it. Its motherboard had been replaced last year, and it failed, too. The service department changed it last week and when I received the PC it still didn't boot. I don't know why they use defective parts and don't test the system appropriately before sending it. Now they'll send a technician to change it again (3rd time). My warranty will expire next month, and I bet the system will fail again. I don't think I'll ever buy Dell again.

Get expert buying tips about Computer Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

Dell has the absolute worst customer service. I purchase Dell laptop before 10 months and laptop touchpad not working properly. I visit Dell service center with the complain that touchpad not working properly. She said me that no issue with touchpad. Only you have to format laptop after that laptop work properly and she took my laptop with commitment of 3 days and she return me laptop after 5 days. After that I faced same problem again. I visit service center again that still my touchpad not working properly. She took my laptop for touchpad change for 2 days and today four days left still I didn’t get my laptop. How I trust Dell brand? There is no meaning of your brand. Very disappointed with service and product.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

1st off allow me to help any future buyer of a Dell laptop - Do not waste a single penny on a Dell laptop. Spent close to $1,500.00 on a top of the line XPS for it to operate correctly for one single day - as soon as a update was completed the main screen shuts on and off, on and off and it does this forever!!! Cannot fix it, after I send this review I am going to close it and break this piece of ** over my leg in half. To Dell: ** you and you ** product - never ever ever ever again will you receive another penny from me for any item you sell ever. I hope all other readers of reviews fully understand this and you want 5.00 to get help from customer support?? ** you.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

I have a DELL Inspiron 15 7000 bought November 2017. Constant power problems and turning itself off. Have updated every driver/bios including those sent by Dell tech support but still keeps happening. Have turned off hibernate and readjusted power settings. Still keeps happening. Dell are now IGNORING all of my tech support requests. I guess because it is still in warranty for another couple of months. Have had no problems in the past with desktops but as my first Dell laptop I would not buy again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dell?

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

I went into Best Buy looking for a machine with an AMD Ryzen processor and dual band WiFi card. I found this Inspiron 5575 with 8GB of RAM, 1TB HDD, Dual band wifi, touch screen, camera, and HD graphics card all for around $560. After having this product for a couple of days, I am very impressed. It is lightweight, has a lighted keyboard, great battery life, and a decent Radeon graphics card. My only complaint was that I would have liked to have a DVD-RW drive - but I could always get an external drive. This thing is fast too, very responsive and runs cool - I couldn't be happier with my purchase. I highly recommend this machine to anyone looking for a great affordable laptop! :)

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

I purchased Dell Inspiron laptop and I duly extended onsite warranty cover for 2 years. Whereas Dell hesitating to depute service personnel and advising to carry the onsite warranty covered laptop to the franchised service center. Few keys are not functioning then and there for more than 6 months. Service personnel tampered and broken the keyboard due to rough handling. Customer relationship is big zero in Dell.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

I purchased the laptop less than a week ago. The day we set it up we downloaded Office 365, Norton, & Google Chrome...boom, blue screen. Unfortunately, my wife was excited about the new computer and had done a lot of work that day. I contacted Microsoft and, based on the errors "Stop code: Drive IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL", Microsoft explained that it was a driver issue and we would need to contact Dell. I spent 30 minutes on that call, however the Microsoft guy was very helpful. I then called Dell and spent 50+ minutes on a call for them to tell me that, since I didn't buy an extended warranty (but I could right then for just $240!) they wouldn't assist me in retrieving my wife's data. I also had the option of paying $130 for a one time retrieval.

After explaining that it was a brand new computer that we were just setting up, they essentially shrugged their shoulders and said 'bummer dude' (at least that's how it sounded to me). They then said they could elevate my complaint but they would have to call me back. As of this writing, still no call back. They also implied that it was my wife's fault for downloading something that caused the blue screen (My wife has had her previous laptop for 7 YEARS and has never had an issue...she is by far the most careful in our house with what she downloads). I have currently have 6 Dell laptops in my house (2 purchases in the last week and 1 that's about 6 months old). I WILL NEVER EVER BUY A DELL PRODUCT AGAIN based solely on their outsourced, terrible customer service.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

I have always been a fan of Dell computers, and finally splurged on the Dell XPS 15 9560! Unfortunately, after less than eight weeks, I woke up one morning and the screen had a small crack in the middle of it. I am not sure if this spontaneously happened or if it was a result of the overly tight hinge? Either way, Dell has taken no responsibility for this and claim their warranty does not cover defective laptop screens. $1500 XPS laptop with non-functioning touchscreen Dell will not cover under 12 months warranty = never buy another Dell.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

For anybody considering buying a Dell XPS - DON'T! I've previously owned one of the first model XPS laptops, I had it for 10 years and it was amazing! 2 years ago I attempted to order a new one, it was faulty and returned for refund...I decided when I saw the new model a few months ago I would give Dell another chance as the machine looked great and the reviews had been pretty good. This was a huge mistake: I purchased an XPS, nearly 12 weeks later I do not have a functioning laptop (despite Dell shipping two different machines out) and I am yet to be refunded.

First XPS: faulty fan (sounded like a jet engine), performance issues, disk issues (kept blue screening with I/O errors). Second replacement XPS: none of the issue of the first machine - great! however could only be used when it wasn't plugged in as when the AC was connected there was a high pitched scratching/buzzing noise from the top left area of motherboard. Dell were notified within a couple of days of delivery of the issues on both occasions. For both systems there was near endless and completely pointless "tech support" and troubleshooting, including sending recordings to Dell. I have received zero Next Business Day support. Dell have scheduled collection on 5 dates for the 2nd machine. They have not arrived to collect the laptop on any of these dates. I have repeatedly requested escalation of the issue without success. I have repeatedly requested a complaint reference, which support staff refuse to provide.

Dell Support staff are now regularly emailing with useful updates such as... "collection team confirmed that it is booked for collection however it was failed. Even yesterday the collection was arranged however it failed again. I need to check with collections team for the reason for failed collection" - this useful information was given with no explanation/apology. 83 emails later (including one which was sent to me in error containing a significant amount of personal data for another customer) and I've had no laptop for nearly 12 weeks, am down €1,449.00 and have suffered considerable personal and financial issues due to the mistake I made in purchasing an XPS from Dell.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

I bought a laptop from Dell last week. I also paid for the next business day warranty. When I received the laptop, the speaker was not working. So, I called customer service. I was told that a technician would come out to help me in 5 business days. I said it was incorrect because I had the next business day warranty.

So, when Dell tells customers that they pay for the next business day warranty, Dell actually means 5 business days? Dell is not honest. Had I known this, I might not have paid for the warranty nor for the laptop. I am considering returning the laptop on the grounds that Dell has provided misleading information. The name of the warranty is "next business day" warranty. What part of it says anything about 5 business days?

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

Going back to school so I decided to use my student loans and get a BRAND NEW laptop. All my laptops before this had been refurbished or hand me downs from my family so I was super excited to get hardware that had never been used before. I get the computer and I decided to play an old game of mine call Dungeon Keepers. So I download the game and I go to play it and it says there's a conflict. I have local data on my computer from 2013 so 5 years ago interfering with my cloud save and they want to know which one I want to keep.

Understandably I'm upset that my new computer isn't as "new" as I thought it was. I go to customer service and they transfer me to technical support, for LATIN AMERICA. The dude finds out I'm in the wrong spot and says he gonna transfer me to the US and then I'm just put in an empty chat room and left to sit there. For twenty freaking minutes. They weren't helpful at all and no one even addressed the issue of my computer, it was all, "Oh I'm sorry. This isn't my department." Dell is ** and I hope no one ever buys a laptop from them ever.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

I just bought an Inspiron and had difficulty setting it up. I called and got some jerk in India, whom I could not understand, and he lied to me, saying that unless I gave Microsoft personal information, such as my date of birth and telephone number, the computer could not be used!!! This jerk simply lied to me, did not provide any tech support, and was guilty of fraud. I made Dell take back the computer and give me a full credit. In the event you consider buying a Dell product, buy it from Costco, since they provide lifetime, that's right...lifetime free tech support. They are located in the U.S., you can understand them, and they are really reliable. Otherwise, do not buy anything from Dell, since there is no such thing anymore as tech support!!!

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

This is a keyboard and mouse combo suggested by Dell for $60 on "sale" to go with your laptop purchase. The mouse quit working at the 5 month mark and customer service advises that outside of 30 days nothing is refundable. The real BS is when you log into Dell on their website and attempt to place a review it freezes so nothing can be said on the product. They have a dozen "token" reviews on the product all at 5 stars. The site is a joke just like the company. Stay away from Dell garbage!

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

I bought a Dell Precision 5530. It took 1 month and 4 days for my computer to stop charging. The computer stated it would not recognize the charger. When you invest your money into a computer, the purchase comes with expectations. One expectation to have when you spend 3k is the reliability/quality of the laptop. For that reason alone I would not recommend this product for anyone.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

Within a year this laptop starts shutting down then my two 2.0 ports stop working. Recently if I want to turn off the laptop I have to take out the battery or let it die. Or else it will just restart. Worse than that, it will not update. Now I am told it will take $170 to fix. Something that is Dell fault, this is not just with my laptop, I see this with others with the same model. Thieves you are Dell, Thief. To fix something that is your fault, I should pay that much money. Thief.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2018

Brand new computer did not come with driver loaded for Nvidia graphic card. Tech support could not fix it till today. He kept repeating the same steps 5 -7 times for installing driver software without changing anything in between, wasted my 5 hours of day and still unsuccessful. Never received the $100 gift card for the student discount code entered. Customer service not available easily. FedEx delivery came unexpected 4-5 days before Dell suggested delivery date. No one was home that time to sign.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

So completely dissatisfied with Dell. I bought my daughter's computer for college a little over a year ago. It quit working just a few days out of warranty. When you spend almost 1000$ for a computer you expect it to last more than a year, right? They did agree to fix it. So she sent it in. 2 months later when she still hadn't received it back she started calling. They found out they shipped it to the wrong address (a Best Buy distribution center in Dublin, GA). When FedEx tried to get it back, they refused to give it back. After weeks more of trying to resolve this situation, Dell still has not sent her another computer or a refund for her computer which is now in someone else's possession with all of her personal stuff on it. So scary! Will never buy another Dell as long as I live!

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

XPS 13 Laptop had a faulty space bar, getting stuck when pressing. Sent it in for warranty repair, took more than 15 days turn around time, they wiped my whole Operating System, changed the trackpad, and sent it back to me. The spacebar issue was not fixed. I called again to ask for on-site service since the first time service was not performed correctly. CSR spent 30 mins "diagnosing software issue" when I clearly stated there's no software involved, just spacebar physically getting stuck. At the end of the 30 mins diagnostics, CSR says they can't send on-site repair, need to resend to service depot again and wait another 2 weeks. This is my work laptop, I can't keep waiting for 2 weeks turn around time on warranty service performed incorrectly. CSR just keeps following "standard procedure". This is really bad warranty service.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

Worst purchase I ever made both with the product and the customer service. The day I received it, it had an error within the first half hour. The Dell Cinema that is supposed to be in it, either is not in it or it doesn’t do what is advertised regarding smooth no buffering video. The tech at tech support said Dell Cinema is not in it yet and his supervisor said the same. Dell head office said it is in there. Someone is lying. Then after 2 techs said my unit is defective, again day it was received, instead of immediately arranging a replacement, the person assigned to my case stalled. She has taken so long that tomorrow ends my 30 day return period which would mean that I would have NO return period. They refused to extend the warranty for having a month gone with no proper XPS 2in1.

Also, they told me in writing that they would provide me a free recovery disk but reneged. Writing Michael Dell or those listed as Dell Canada executives has led to NOT one person having the decency to respond. The unit is being returned. DELL is the worst company I have ever dealt with. My advise: buy from a company that appreciates their customers. Dell does NOT.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

I bought a Dell Inspiron 15R laptop a few years ago and it malfunctioning in over 20 ways. After repeated contact with Dell they managed to send someone over. Very nice guy, took a look at the laptop and asked me some things, in the end he concludes that this laptop either needs to be replaced or needs a new main board. So he calls Dell and explains the situation, then I see him get quiet and turn to me. "Red light", he says. "I'm really sorry, but I can't help you..." he follows, clearly very embarrassed and genuinely apologetic. Knowing he's just Dell's puppet, I tried my best to thank him for at least trying to help and make him feel somewhat more comfortable before he left again.

But the laptop still had these 20+ issues. Did I mention that an almost exactly the same laptop I compared it against, was much faster when it was forced to operate at 800MHz (0.8GHz), where-as the Dell Inspiron 15R was running at a 2.1GHz base clock with turbo-boost up to 3.1GHz? Anyway, more calls with Dell lead to nothing, their promises to call back weren't fulfilled and conveniently their on-site live chat support just so happened to be "currently unavailable" for the ENTIRE YEAR OF WARRANTY. Every day. During their listed work hours.

In the end, I realized I was defeated and ended up paying €750,- for a brick I was already forced to replace with a different brand's laptop before Dell's 'warranty' was over, because it really was THAT unusable. From ethernet and wifi failures, to keyboard failures, and many more oddities that were all daily occurrences. I still have the laptop...in visually pristine condition (after undusting). And it shall always keep its name as the "Dell from Hell". -1000/10 for this utterly lowly company of scammers.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

I purchased a Dell i3567-3243BLK laptop from Staples; however, the laptop battery stopped charging. It rendered this laptop unusable. Since it was under a year from the purchase date, I took it back to Staples and I talked to the Ladera Ranch, CA manager. He wouldn't take it back and told me I had to contact Dell directly. After wasting my time at Staples, I contacted Dell directly and I returned the product to Dell after a $50+ charge to ship and have them troubleshoot it. After reviewing Dell's disposition on the Dell Repair Status website, I was informed there was a hardware issue with the DC power port. They stated it was an "Accidental" issue; therefore, it wasn't covered under the 1 year warranty. Since I purchased the SquareTrade 2 year warranty, I asked Dell to ship the laptop back to me.

I contacted SquareTrade/Allstate about the warranty I purchased based on the Staples Salesman's statement about how SquareTrade would cover everything else that Dell doesn't cover under their warranty. Not True. I submitted a claim within SquareTrade's website and it was immediately rejected. After calling SquareTrade's customer support I was also told they do NOT cover accidental damage. There was no accident on my part. The laptop simply stopped charging based on a hardware failure. This could be based on bad Dell design, use of cheap components, use of cheap materials, poor workmanship in assembly, bad QA dept., etc.

Long story short:
1) Don't buy electronics from Staples, based on their lack of customer service.
2) Don't buy a Dell laptop/desktop based on their lack of service and cheap product.

3) Don't purchase the SquareTrade/Allstate extra warranty.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

I bought a Dell Inspiron 15 3521. Motherboard of this product is very bad. Motherboard of this product is around 15000 Rs. It is costly. Under the warranty period product is working and company will give support properly without any cost. But after completed warranty period its services is costly. I don't recommend you to purchase laptop from the Dell.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

I bought a Dell Inspiron, it cost me 1400 and does not even work. I turn on the computer to try to do a simple task like online shop and the screen gets pixelated and freezes. I have great internet service and none of my other devices have issues like this. Should have stuck with a Toshiba.

Original review: July 31, 2018

Our Dell XPS13 for service under warranty and. On 7/24, DELL ARC was working on the system and placed it on a billable hold with a quote provided, on 7/25 he confirmed there were defective components and he would get more clarification as to why they were not covered under warranty, on 7/26 he confirmed the ARC had found customer induced damage, therefore it was not covered by normal warranty. I asked them to send me pictures of the damaged part as I was very sure there was no damage to the palm rest before it was sent out. In the whole week from 7/26-7/30, with numerous emails and pictures showing only watermarks, no medical/physical/drop damage. As I kept asking for an image of the replacement part. They sent me a picture this morning which clearly shows mechanical damage (See picture). Then they changed the story that the mechanical damage there was already there when they received.

In summary, they broke my computer and wanted me to pay the bill. Initially, they did not want to tell me the damage and just pay the bill. They clearly said there was no mechanical/drop damage. After I required for images, again and again, they sent me the picture showing severe drop damage. Then they said it was already there, it was very minor and could not be noticed with normal use. When they received and asked me to provide them with a picture before it was shipped.

Original review: July 23, 2018

Buyer beware! This is what happen to me; a day after buying the computer on Black Friday 40% sale. I saw that the computer has a lower price tag. I called to get the discount on the XPS 8930 base computer. This was granted. I had gone over the charges and saw that they had charged me for a Blu ray player. On the days that I purchased my computer, I reviewed the items detail list. I had upgraded to a Blu-ray player. I noticed that the listed information for the DVD player did not mentioned Blu-ray. So I called back to ask; "Do these two items, below, constitute a “Tray Load BDRE Drive (Reads and Writes to Blu-Ray disks)”." Tray load DVD Drive (Reads and Writes to DVD/CD) Integrated with WAVE MAXXAudio Pro. On 7/10/18 spoke with Thandrika id# **; she assured me that it is a “Read and write to Blu-Ray disks” unit.

I also wrote back to ** about the Blu-ray DVD player. Tejaswy ** did not respond, so I took it as being correct. When I got around to using the supposed sent Blu ray player it did not work. I called to have it fixed. All of the departments I talked with told me that the DVD player was not broken, hence they did not need to fix it. They refused to refund me the $50 I paid. They claim that the first refund was for the Blu ray player because they knew they had not sent to me the Blu ray player as the upgrade I paid for. My hope is that this explanation will spark a "class action lawsuit," because, if you are reading this you have been scammed as well.

Original review: July 19, 2018

On 7/4/18 we purchased a computer through Dell. We were able to get a great deal as the computer was on sale. The base price of the computer was $1,505. We were even able to pick out delivery date of 7/20/18. Then on 7/9/18 we received an email from Dell stating our order was now going to be shipped on 8/9/18 with an estimated delivery date of 8/15/18. Three weeks later but doable. On 7/17/18 we received an email from Dell asking us to contact them as there was a technical error with our order. When we called we were initially told that there was no problem and our computer would be shipped on 8/9/18. Then the representative said the order had to be canceled and could not be fulfilled as the computer was “end of life” and we had to order another one. We asked if we would still get the same sale deal as we did on 7/4/18 and they could not answer.

During our conversation we priced the new model of the same computer with Dell. The base price increased to $1,749 which is an additional $244. We asked to speak with the manager. He initially refused to speak with us. Eventually Sai said we would have to cancel the order and buy new. This feels like the old bait and switch game or fraud. Why did we get an invoice showing we placed the order followed by an email 5 days later saying our order was in process but the delivery date was postponed to "We don’t have your computer in stock. Buy a more expensive one." Just doesn’t feel right.

Original review: July 17, 2018

India and Philippines are manipulative and ignorant. Don't buy a Dell computer. They change information on your computers and Micheal Dell And Mcfee Antivirus they have your network access. Your privacy is violated whenever you log onto your computers. They should be ashamed of themselves.

Original review: July 17, 2018

Tried to order a new laptop (2nd one in 2 years) and received an email after a week that the original order had "technical difficulties". Tried to call the person back several times, but of course their stated office hours are: Office hours: Saturday-Wednesday 9pm-6am CST. SERIOUSLY? So I found my way through the Dell website maze to finally find a customer service phone number. I was transferred twice - after giving the order number each time - only to have them ask "How can I Help you?" Each time I was put back on hold and then they told me the same thing the original email said. No reason for the technical difficulty, no explanation. Just that we need to place a new order. Sorry, I don't think I want to give my credit card number again... You lost a sale and a customer Dell.

Original review: July 16, 2018

I've had a problem with 100% disk usage with nothing running since purchase. Multiple tech attempts led to returning the laptop for a hard drive replacement. Returned to me weeks later and it was worse than before. Once again multiple tech attempts to remedy. I requested a replacement computer after 8 calls only to be transferred from department to department. Started June 11 2018, now, after 19 calls I am at July 16 2018 with no resolution. If you just thrive on conflict and hate customer support of any kind, you'll LOVE a new Dell. Lonely? Want to talk to all kinds of confrontational tech support from all kinds of countries? Dell is your brand. I can barely type this. The computer is so slow. Just steer clear of Dell. What a huge waste of time and money. I will continue to attempt to get a replacement but I'm getting the same runaround every day I call.

Dell expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Dell, now renamed Dell Technologies, is a computer company that was founded in Round Rock, Texas in 1984. Dell was started with the goal of making technologies like computers more accessible and affordable to consumers. Dell's various lines of laptops can fit consumer needs from basic application functions to business solutions.

• Inspiron 3000: Dell’s Inspiron 3000 series is an ultra-portable 2-in-1 laptop series designed to perform basic computer functions.

• Inspiron 5000: The Inspiron 5000 is a 2-in-1 laptop that is capable of displays at stronger resolutions due to a more powerful processor than the basic model.

• Inspiron 7000: The Inspiron 7000 is a high-performance laptop capable of running more taxing applications and some light gaming. The Inspiron 7000 15 is Dell’s most powerful Inspiron model.

• XPS: The Dell XPS is a laptop designed for powerhouse visual quality. They are built to be durable despite their thin size.

• Chromebook: Dell’s Chromebook 11 and Chromebook 13 are lightweight computers designed for home or business use.

• Best for: Dell laptops are best for casual users, home offices and businesses.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs