Dell Laptops
3.27/5
  • 1 star
Based on 358 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Dell Laptops

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Jan. 17, 2018

1095 Dell Laptops Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Jan. 17, 2018

In 8 Months of purchase, DELL has offered to replace Mother Board, TouchPad, Battery, Cables, Screen of a faulty laptop. And the best part...these parts will be refurbished. So you don't know if you get a 2 year old reconditioned Mother Board and other parts. First they supply a defective Laptop (over other companies I have Experienced, DELL is the most low Quality Product) then they Show you the rule book of Refurbished Part replacement under their one sided terms. Do you as a Consumer have a choice? You are stuck with a Laptop that doesn't work, DELL shows you rulebook that repaired parts will be put into your system with only a 90 day warranty on these, and no guarantee that your Laptop won't give you problems again. Man has reached the Moon, DELL is still producing Cheap Low Quality laptops that are bound to give you trouble. Guys, AVOID THIS BRAND!

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

June 15 2017 I purchase a new Dell Inspiron 15 2 in 1 computer model 5578. Our son had a Dell and it worked well. I switch from HP. My HP worked well, but one hinge had broken and it became hard to turn on. My new Dell has nothing but trouble. Within the first week I had to call support and a tech remote into my computer. They said the problem was an operating system that was corrupted. So they installed a new one on the computer. That didn’t work. After calling in 3 more times and no fix. This laptop locks up on screensaver, when I'm on the internet or not. I have a good virus program and they have remote into my laptop and found nothing, I have run Microsoft malware program and nothing. I should have sent it back and ask for a refund. Don’t buy a Dell; their customer support is useless. DON’T buy.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Dec. 9, 2017

I researched computers for MONTHS before entering into med school to try and get a laptop that would keep up with my needs. I decided on the Dell Inspiron 13 7000 series with the core i7. Obviously I use this laptop a lot but given its specs there should've been NO problems but after using it for about 8 months I started having an issue with the charger. An error message popped up saying the adapter wasn't recognized and that the system would run slower and the computer wouldn't charge.

This issue started happening after owning my laptop for about 8 months. It was under warranty for a year, so it was "fixed" and sent back to me. I had to send this computer back to Dell 2 more times before the issue finally stopped. Now, 4 months later, with an expired warranty, the same issue is happening and Dell will only fix it if I pay them to. A computer less than a year and a half old should not be having these problems. I will never buy a Dell again, and plan to tell everyone I know the same.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2017

I bought a laptop last black Friday. The estimated delivery day are between 12/5/2017 - 12/8/2017. It is already late, and I contacted with a customer representative three times. He said to me, "We are waiting confirmation for the shipping from the shipping company". Later he sent me an email, which states that my laptop is still being assembled. I should wait for assemble it. After that, it might be delivered to a day who knows. How could be happened this kind of unprofessional think such a big company for Dell. Shame on you Dell...

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

I researched for weeks to find the perfect gaming laptop for my sons Christmas. I finally decided on the Alienware and ordered through dell.com. I woke up this morning to an email saying my card was declined. I spoke immediately with the bank who verified the payment was authorized and Dell tried to run the payment again 3 more times after the initial approval? The charged amount was different than my purchase price. I had to speak to 3 different people at Dell before someone could explain this. Meanwhile I ended up canceling the order because the second person told me I had to even though my bank already approved payment. Now I have to wait for the money to return to my account and I will pay the extra and go purchase it at Best Buy because I am sure they will do the same thing. I am very dissatisfied with my Dell experience!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dell?

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

After 30 years of PCs & Laptops of which I don't ever remember owning anything except a Dell, I've reached a point that I'll be moving to a MAC. DELL's computers not only die a "slow down" death by the time the warranty runs out, but conveniently seem to crash and get told it's old by the 2nd year. My adult son who also owns his own business has had the same MAC for 8 years and still loves it with no slow down and updates that actually improve the performance. My Dell updates have created slowdowns and glitches instead of improvements. Additionally, after my computer crashed due to a Dell update, I called for help and they tried to charge me for helping me correct something due to THEIR update. Really?!?! Then a few weeks later, I get a call saying they are helping customers who had problems after the update.

Turns out it was a scammer trying to get control of my computer to hold it hostage until I paid. I was smart enough to shut it down, but HOW did they get all my Dell information? So now Dell security is lacking. AND... When I decided to finally give in and purchase DELL backup & recovery, it turns out that it wasn't DELL backup & recovery at all. Instead of paying what I thought was a 'branch' of DELL, I found out AFTER the purchase that I had just paid a company out of Germany that was NOT a DELL company. Additionally, they were NOT a cloud or backup & recovery "system", rather it was just a program for which I had to purchase my own additional hardware & external drives for backup. WELL I DON'T need to pay someone else for me to backup and recover my own data and system. TOTALLY misleading!!!

So yes, it's time to make a move to a MAC. I figure this computer is only 2 years old and my Dells seem to slow down and crash or become outdated in about that 2 year time frame. So if I have to keep buying a new PC every two years, seems it would be more economical and save a lot of time if I just learn the MAC and quit dealing with all this Dell & Microsoft hoopla. They are great at marketing... The ONLY reason they are used more than MAC.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

I purchased my Dell laptop directly from Dell along with 2 year premium support including on site tech support if problems could not be solved remotely. Problems began almost immediately, it would not stay connected to internet and ran very slow. They kept suggesting it was a problem with my wireless but I have No problems with my phone and tablet, 4 month later, countless hours on ph and hrs of remote access, replaced os, replaced bios systems, one REPLACED wireless card, they wanted me to send it back so they could replace more parts! I refused and requested a replacement laptop, now the new laptop I received yesterday barely out of the box, 2 hrs on ph we have replaced os system in this one, still not working, they want me to send it back now. Are you KIDDING. Are they getting junk laptops and refurbishing them? Terrible product. I am disappointed to tears not only losing hours I have lost business.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2017

I will never purchase another Dell product. Their customer service is the worst. I purchased the laptop last year. Was promised a gif card of %10 and I get one for only $100. Their cust service did not know much of anything. Finally after being bounced around for days someone tell me that the gift card was only for $100. Not the case. Got tired of the BS so just accepted it. Then I was not even able to use it! Every single time I tried to use it to place an online order it would not take.

Then again given the runaround and bounced around from one person who did not know what they were doing to others who did not know what they were doing either. After about a month or so gave up and then lost my gift card. Also chose the extended warranty which I am not told my laptop does NOT have the extended warranty and I can order it for an extra cost. What a ripoff from the gift card to the warranty. I will never order anything Dell ever again and will advise everyone I know to do the same.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2017

All around good experience with this XPS 13". Went from a desktop to this and it does the job. Light computing, no games. Had one issue when it lost its wireless function but an upgrade took care of that.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2017

I love Dell but the computers slow down super fast. And no matter what you do once it does there's nothing you can do that not just a temporary... But the customer service people are very useful and patient.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

The computer is durable and easy to use. I love that it is backlit on the keyboard so, it works in low-light situations. It is very portable. The screen is clear.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

I never had any problems with Dell computer or laptops. They do just fine for me. The only brand I prefer, the only brand I ever used.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

This Dell Inspiron touchscreen laptop has never done more than complete tasks that revolve around school work or store photos I have taken with my phone. It is only 2 years old, and I have babied this laptop from the beginning to make sure there was no chance of there being a problem. Yet Dell has once again proven to be garbage (this is my 2nd, and the first had other issues). 20% of the time my Dell laptop will not get past the Dell logo when I turn it on. I have had it looked at by Geek Squad, as well as my friend who has built and managed computer networks for over 20 years. Both did diagnostics and find nothing wrong with my laptop, and say they do not know why this occurs.

Then, they both advised me to buy a better quality brand for my next laptop. This unfortunately is not easy because I am a college student who spends all his money on books, food, rent, and transportation. I am stuck with this horrible unreliable product. Now, with a project stuck on my laptop that needs to be completed and turned in in one day, It is frozen yet again. My GPA, and possibly my ability to transfer to the college I want are sadly in the hands of Dell's $800 paperweight they call a laptop. I'm never looking at a Dell again, and if I can convince everyone I know to spend just a little more money and buy something quality it will be time well spent.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2017

Purchased my Dell laptop (Inspiron 15, 3000 series) 11 months ago. Worked fine for the most part, until it started randomly shutting off in the middle of working (full battery... happened when unplugged and plugged in). I had a tech guy look at it, and he concluded that it was a hardware issue (but he couldn't open the computer because it voids the warranty).

I spent an hour and a half on the phone with Dell, who went in, cleaned it up, and it seemed to sort of be working. The issue was that it would only MAYBE work on a flat surface. As soon as you moved it, it shut off (sometimes this even happened on a flat surface). They actually told me to try to use it on a flat surface. Sorry, but what is the point of having to use this only on a flat surface??? If a laptop only (sort of) functions in this way, it does not work properly! They did follow up via email and phone, but I was told that since it was over 30 days, I could not get a credit towards a new one or a replacement. So basically, they are saying that they are selling a product for hundreds of dollars that they only guarantee to work for 30 DAYS. That is not only shady, it's deceptive and just wrong.

How can a company be allowed to sell a product like this and not be liable for selling a piece of garbage? I've added nothing to this computer, changed nothing, and added no additional programs. They MIGHT allow me to mail it in, but if I do (if they even let me at this point), I would have to pay for shipping and insurance (because of an issue with THEIR FAULTY PRODUCT). Then, it can take weeks to get it back. Who can afford to be without a computer that long, especially when you need one for work? Why can't they get something in place with a local repair company (or Best Buy) where we can bring it in and they can resolve the issue right there? Who has time for this? By the time I pay for this, plus all of my time doing it, and lost work time from not having a home laptop, I'm almost better off buying a new one, since this one was clearly a waste of money.

A company should back up their product like this for AT LEAST one year. I am reading plenty of other reviews with people with similar issues with this particular model, and also with Dell. Why isn't something being done? Companies like this should not be allowed to operate. I know I definitely won't be buying a Dell again, that's for sure, and I'll purchase from a company that actually backs up their product, instead of making the customer at fault for them selling a garbage product. Don't waste your money.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

I purchased a Dell laptop in August 2017 for an employee working on a grant with me. I also purchased the "Dell Premium Support" which, according to the service contract, includes unlimited technical support for one year for hardware and most software. My employee seemed to have an issue with MS Word, probably a virus, and called Dell Customer Service. I should state that the employee does not speak English as a first language. The customer service person lied to her and said that Dell Premium Support only covered hardware. He said he wouldn't help her unless she bought a $299.99 service contract which is "unlimited technical support." So, I ended up calling the technician myself. At first he continued to lie and state that we only had hardware support even when I read to him the service contract stating specifically that MS Office was included (as well as most other software).

I finally asked for a manager and someone got on the line (not sure if he was a manager). He agreed that we did have coverage and said the technician must have been mistaken. There was no mistake. I believe they are trained to lie and sell coverage and get a percentage when they do. This was clearly fraud. I am concerned for older people who call and already have service contracts and get swindled into buying another–much more expensive–service contract. It's such a low level way to try to rip people off. The "manager" also lied to me. He said they would give me the $299.99 service contract for free for all the trouble they put me through. Of course, I did not receive anything from them.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

I am the second user. My daughter bought it new used it and then gave it to me. I needed a new cord and a new battery but it still chugs on. The computer was purchased in 2009.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

I really enjoyed getting this Dell laptop in the mail but after first boot up and started using I was very disappointed with this laptop. Slower than world's first computer with Dos, I am still very upset with such very slow performance on such a new computer.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

Support on this is limited in my company. The laptop does great, performance is good: no lag time as with other computers I own. Comfortable size and weight: but would like a touchscreen.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

I have had the great good fortune to discover Dell Software Support. It is a service I willingly pay for because they have been able to keep my Dell laptop working and working well. I've dealt with companies like Microsoft and Hewlett-Packard. Spent too much time trying to find the person or persons who could solve a software problem in PCs over the last thirty years or so.

Once I contacted a software support company and they were so bad that during their efforts to repair my Dell desktop, they took me down the trail to the place where we had to wipe the "C" drive clean and start from scratch. Fortunately, I had my most important files backed up and they could be restored. But going there... starting over from ground zero is very, very scary. Since contracting with Dell Software Support, I am able to call their service telephone number, explain the problem and turn it over to them. They fix it every time. They are great!!

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

I purchased this computer, an Inspiron XPS 8900, along with an upgraded video card and Dell Hi-Definition monitor for home. It has never worked right despite hours of "customer service" calls. It still has the original problem almost 2 years later of the monitor going on and off after being on for a while making it almost useless. The customer service is asinine. Judging by the amount of time I have spent talking with them they must get paid by the hour. Dell seems to only be concerned with its big business customers and not the personal shopper. Well Dell I have your computers at my business but I can assure you that you won't be selling me anything for home or business in the future.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

The Dell laptop was a gift. Had problems from the start and after several calls and a new keyboard and tech on site my keyboard has not been corrected so I use the desk mostly. I would not buy a Dell.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

Failure to honor warranty exchange, even after proving this is a Dell hardware failure. Requested Like-for-Like hardware swap which is in accordance to the Dell (US Only) 1-Yr Limited Warranty. Dell reps refusing to honor warranty by exchanging Like-for-Like (L4L) rather than taking an additional 5-7 business days - plus however long they claim to need to wait on parts, for them to "try" to refurb this machine and send it back to me (another 5-7 business days). I have already not been able to use this machine for a month, and have already provided diags, event files, and proven there is no software failure. All I want is what I paid for, and that is exactly what I have yet to receive. Also, they claimed to have shipped my PC to me on 3/27/2017 when I bought it from Office Depot on 07/03/2017 - screwing me out of 4-months of warranty coverage.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

It's very fun to play with and kind of easy to use when you're working, I mostly just use it at work also my laptop is really fast when it comes to loading.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

How I wish I could give it minus ratings... After spending huge bucks and chucking my pocket out, I became a depressed owner of a Dell laptop as within 3 months of purchase, the laptop starting gasping for life. Above that there is no provision of replacement in the purchase policy... As not everybody gets a chance to learn from own mistakes, BUY AT YOUR RISK!!!

Original review: Oct. 15, 2017

Aug 2016. Ordered my grandson a laptop for college. It came with a TV. Had them deliver it to my office. TV arrived. They cancelled the laptop order. When I called I was informed that it was because my mailing and billing address were different. I had previously called about this. They wanted me to mail the TV back and then reorder and they would pay for shipping. I said, "Well since you mailed the tv why can't you mail the laptop." They said no. I kept (and paid) for the TV, got him a laptop at The Microsoft Store.

10/10/17. Ordered a laptop from Dell. 10/11/17 received email to confirm order. Called Dell. Person said to just respond to the email, so I did. 10/12/17. Received email. They cancelled my order. 10/12/17. Called Dell. Spoke with 4 customer service staff. Finally just reordered the laptop. 10/13/17. Received email. They cancelled my order. I give up. Ordered one from Amazon. At least it arrived. NEVER AGAIN!!

Original review: Sept. 25, 2017

The laptop I bought through WalMart for $549.75: Dell Inspiron 17 5000 17.3" Laptop, Windows 10 Home, AMD Quad-Core A8-7410 APU Processor, 8GB RAM, 1TB Hard Drive. This laptop constantly shuts down EVERYDAY and it shuts down a few times a day. When I first bought it it was ok. But days later the shutting down randomly started and months later it still does it constantly. This is the worst laptop I've ever purchased and after this one I will NEVER purchase a Dell ever again in my life. There's sooo many things wrong with this laptop. I wasted my money buying this garbage.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

Dell Inspiron 15 - Barely over 1 year after buying this computer the charging jack (inside the case) became intermittent. Dell says cost to replace jack is $125. The jack is really buried inside the case requiring keyboard removal, etc., etc. Bad design. That jack is way too flimsy to make it so inaccessible. The computer itself has been O.K., but I'm nursing the charger by putting a weight on the plug in order to allow the computer to charge. The computer cost was only about twice the cost of the jack repair as I recall, so I'm not too crazy about sending it in. At some point I guess I'll buy a replacement jack online for a few bucks, go on YouTube, tear the computer apart and replace it myself. Disgusted.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2017

After researching home/office laptops I purchased the Dell I5567752GRY, June/2017. In August/2017 the battery stopped charging, after completing the diagnostics I was comfortable doing myself the battery still wasn't charging. I took it back to Staples where I ordered it (they were out of this particular laptop) and the tech there said it was a Dell issue and to call them. So after 2 hours online with Dell the tech confirmed the battery wasn't charging and I have to send it back to their repair center - in Houston! He mentioned it may take longer than usual due to the current circumstances in Houston. I asked if there wasn't someplace in AZ we could have the battery replaced but he assured me that was my only option. Frustrated, that Dell doesn't have another avenue to replace a laptop battery and that a battery didn't even last 2 months.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2017

Battery only lasts 9 months - Dell's solution after an hour of trouble shooting. Send laptop back for three weeks, no loaner, I would have to take all my files off and as a Real Estate Professional that is not acceptable. Then I would have to buy another computer or do without. Then load files back on a refurbished laptop. I asked for a supervisor, and Pinky hung up on me. Done with Dell.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2017

I am done with Dell. On Aug 23rd I ordered a laptop. They charged my husband's debit card. On Aug. 28 I got an email saying my order had been canceled. I called them, to find out why. It was because I used my husband's debit card not mine and the billing and shipping names were different. On Aug 28 order reinstated. Dell then charged my debit card. It took me a week to get the extra charge money reimbursed. My laptop was supposed to arrive tomorrow. I realized today that I did not receive tracking information.

I called today to, get the tracking info. There wasn't any. It has not been processed. The processor in the laptop I ordered was no longer in stock. I spent 3 hours on the phone with them after I got off work. They were going to upgrade the processor at no additional charge. Then he tells me "Well we have to take 60.00 more dollars out of your account but it will be reimbursed after it ships." I said ok because at this point I have no idea what else to do. He then tells me it's a different drive. I ordered a solid state drive. The laptop he was sending me has one terabyte hard drive. I even agreed to that.

After I got off the phone and got the confirmation email. It was all wrong. I ordered a 2 in 1 laptop touch screen. He was sending me a regular laptop not touch screen. I tried to call back. They were closed. I sent a cancellation email request. I guess I will be back on the phone with them tomorrow. At this point I want my money back and never have anything else to do with Dell.

Dell expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Dell, now renamed Dell Technologies, is a computer company that was founded in Round Rock, Texas in 1984. Dell was started with the goal of making technologies like computers more accessible and affordable to consumers. Dell's various lines of laptops can fit consumer needs from basic application functions to business solutions.

• Inspiron 3000: Dell’s Inspiron 3000 series is an ultra-portable 2-in-1 laptop series designed to perform basic computer functions.

• Inspiron 5000: The Inspiron 5000 is a 2-in-1 laptop that is capable of displays at stronger resolutions due to a more powerful processor than the basic model.

• Inspiron 7000: The Inspiron 7000 is a high-performance laptop capable of running more taxing applications and some light gaming. The Inspiron 7000 15 is Dell’s most powerful Inspiron model.

• XPS: The Dell XPS is a laptop designed for powerhouse visual quality. They are built to be durable despite their thin size.

• Chromebook: Dell’s Chromebook 11 and Chromebook 13 are lightweight computers designed for home or business use.

• Best for: Dell laptops are best for casual users, home offices and businesses.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs

www.dell.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use