2.88/5
Based on 149 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

1191 Dell Laptops Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 22, 2018

I purchased an Inspiron 15 5000 series. It had a good set of features for the price. But buyer beware. I have had nothing but problems since it arrived. Spent most of the first day letting it go through it updating and whatever else they do. Since then the Bluetooth mouse that I purchased with the computer works sometimes but mostly not. I was using it when it decided to quit last time. I have also has problems with it staying connected to my network. I have had to sign in multiple times. And as I guess everyone knows customer service isn't the best. If this doesn't get better I will be sending it back.

Original review: June 18, 2018

We purchased a very high end Dell XPS $3500 System laptop and docking station mid May 2017. We've experienced difficulty with our docking station SEVERAL times. Today it failed. And after calling customer support and being on hold and transferred about for THREE 3 HOURS Dell informs me that the PREMIUM warranty that I purchased along with Accidental damage support DOES NOT cover the DELL Thunderbolt docking station. I've been out of warranty for 9 day. The Thunderbolt docking station is NOT part of the warranty that we purchased and they will not extend the warranty even 9 days. In my opinion this is POOR, POOR customer service.

Get expert buying tips about Computer Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 17, 2018

Bought an Inspiron 15 in 2017, very little use until 4-2018, today the plug inside the pc came loose inside the pc. I have never heard of this, is it a defect? Is it a fire hazard? The pc is for accounts is new, I know Dell isn't going to fix it, but has anyone else had this problem?

Original review: June 7, 2018

Recently I decided to give Windows a full go as I am very into gaming. Decided I'd go with a top competitor, Alienware. DO YOURSELF A FAVOR. READ THE REVIEWS. 2 years on the dot! My R17 decided to ** the bed. I started experiencing driver issues which caused my display to flash consistently along with shutting off completely. I called support and after a week was told I'd have to pay 450$ to reopen a warranty that only provided me with a tech coming to my house to repair. Dell refused to replace my PC. Finally got my display to work long enough to run some updates. Still have display issues to date (flashing solid colors, shutting off etc.).

After that came the overheating issues. Running at temps exceeding 95C. My fans decided to stop running and now I have to take manual control while gaming. Keeping my temps below 90 is almost impossible. Now I don't game much. Due to the high temps, I'm sure this resulted in hardware failure. I've reached out to a few companies to do laptop repairs and at this point I'm better off buying a new mobile rig. Very frustrating. Now I have issues with my audio. No idea what's causing this. Audio cuts in/out while doing just about anything. This is an issue that isn't yet consistent. Although at this point I'm sure it will become an everyday thing. The best part of this, is that I was told by a women working in support who barely spoke English that my laptop was fine. Way to go DELL. You have idiots who work for you. Thanks. Do yourself a favor and stay away from Alienware.

Original review: June 5, 2018

I purchased a brand new Dell Inspiron 7000 Series gaming laptop back in February 2018. Within the first few days of me turning it on, the computer kept giving me the blue screen of death. I would literally be on it for 5 minutes and it would crash, reboot, log back in, and crash again. I immediately called their customer support and I initially wanted to return the computer. However, they convinced me to just send it back to replace the memory card.

Dell's return policy is 30 days, which I knew this. I spoke with the tech person and he assured me that if it still caused me issues when I received back the computer, I will still be able to return it for a full refund. It took almost 2 weeks of my 30 days to send the computer in and get it back only for it to not work again. When I called back the computer, of course it was out of the 30 day window and my only option was to send it back again because it was "a Windows problem; not a Dell problem."

During the next few months, I had them do several remote fixes where they tapped into my computer and remotely figure out the issue and that I show they discovered it must be a Windows problem and that I would need to have windows reinstalled on the computer. I had to send it back in two weeks ago and just received the computer back yesterday. And what do you know; the computer still crashes.

They are still refusing to refund me my money and my only recourse is to exchange the computer... but not for a new one... no, they will only give me back a refurbished one! So not only did I pay for a brand new computer and have been without a computer for almost 6 months; but now I will get a refurbished one for the price of a brand new one!!!

Instead of throwing me around the ringer, they could just have refunded me my money when I first complained the first week. I am really disappointed in Dell. They no longer focus on customer support or quality in their products; it seems they only want to keep your money and do not care about the customer. They used to be my favorite computer company but since this lousy customer service experience and a loss of almost $1400, I will not be a returning customer.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dell?

Original review: June 5, 2018

Bought my wife a Dell Latitude for X-mas two years ago and this machine has been getting worse ever since purchased. Shuts down with no warning, doesn't respond to task manager is currently up to date with all recommended Window 10 updates and has had Dell updates and support assist diagnostics completed. I would never buy another Dell product again because all three I and my wife have owned have been a piece of junk during their entire life. Best notebook we ever had was a Compaq that lasted ten years before it became obsolete and wouldn't support newer OSs.

Original review: June 3, 2018

Dell laptop computers have always been dependable for me and my family, they usually become obsolete before they have issues. But I have never had major issues with Dell.

Original review: June 3, 2018

I bought this laptop for traveling and watching videos. It takes a while to get used to the finger pad instead of a mouse. The picture that it gives is very clear. It holds a charge fairly good. For what I paid it was a very good deal from Dell directly.

Original review: June 3, 2018

Dell is excellent especially in business computers. I have purchased four for my family. Durability and performance is great. My only complain is in purchasing and customer service for Puerto Rico customers. We are processed through the Latin America Division and their service is very poor. I am sure Puerto Rico residents would be very happy to see they can buy from the US division. But I know this is just wishful thinking. Thank you very much Dell for your great computers.

Original review: June 3, 2018

I have Dell concierge service and they have helped me when I get into trouble. I have had to have a new motherboard and they sent it back to the factory with no problems.

Original review: June 2, 2018

I always buy my computer from Dell. I have purchased a desktop, laptop, tablet, etc from Dell. They are the best to work with, best value for the money, customer support is the best. I also have an iPad, but always go back to my Dell computers.

Original review: June 2, 2018

The 13" Dell edge-to-edge screen gives me the same visibility of my 15" but in a smaller profile. The solid state drive allows for nearly instant startups. The keyboard is compact but feels great and is sturdy to the touch.

Original review: June 2, 2018

I purchased my laptop from QVC. It included lifetime tech support. That company now wants to charge for things like removing malware, etc. Those services were free. I don't need them to install a program, I can do that myself.

Original review: June 2, 2018

The Dell laptop is fast. Works good for me, some lessening accuracy and timing of touchpad and freezing of cursor and inaccuracy. The lighted keyboard is a plus. But it weighs too much.

Original review: June 1, 2018

I can't stand dell computers anymore, the Dell desktop I had years ago was wonderful and did everything I could possibly need or want. This Dell laptop that I now have doesn't work well with a lot of my software or at all with some. You're constantly required to purchase new versions of their software and computer viruses protection for your computer. This laptop is more of an expensive paper weight than a working computer for me.

Original review: June 1, 2018

I have had overall wonderful use of my Dell. Its durability and memory has been amazingly wonderful, considering my old man has dropped it and accidentally kicked it off the foot of the bed. It still functions 100% and only damage was the calculator on keyboard does not work all the time.

Original review: June 1, 2018

I had a Dell laptop for over 15 years. I got it when laptops were not so widely used and not very powerful. I had no problems or issues with it until it just was no longer powerful enough to keep up and too old to be upgraded.

Original review: May 31, 2018

My sister and I got brand new Dell Inspiron 15 3000 series laptops on Christmas. Just recently I had an issue with turning it on. I kept getting a hard drive error on my screen and when I tried to factory data reset it, it said there was nothing to reset it to. I've only used the computer a few times for school projects and Youtube. My computer has been shut down for a little over a month and I decided to see if I could fix it again and it powered right on. Only problem is that it's super slow.

My little sister is now having an issue with hers. It automatically updates and when it finally turns on, the screen is black and only the recycle bin icon is up and on the taskbar it shows a lock icon that disappears in about 30 seconds. No matter what she clicks on it says icon doesn't exist. I have spent hours trying to fix her computer to no avail. The only advice I can give to someone interested in one of these computers is, get a warranty, or better yet, don't get one. I hope that now my computer has thrown this fit, it will continue to be ok from now on, but just to be safe, my grandpa is going to return it and get us new ones. -_-

Original review: May 31, 2018

Dell Preferred Customer. Purchased new Dell 5547 December 2014, used sparingly. Around February 2018, a faint creaking noise associated with right hinge began when laptop was opened, increasing in consistency and loudness over time. Eventually, right screw popped out when opened. Right hinge then broke off and a crack in laptop surface was visible (images provided). Corner of laptop visibly came unlodged/unhinged from laptop bed and wireless connectivity functionality ended (image provided). I Googled "Dell 5000 recalls" and found only an associated battery recall, however several customer complaints online exist consistently citing exact same "5000 Series right hinge" cracking issues (image provided) and mirroring my experience without aberration.

Attempted to make similar complaint on Dell site and received message error regarding the code I was sent and used after carefully following instructions. Called Dell out-of-warranty department, provided background and cited customer complaints online and was told "Dell relies on customer complaints and no recall was applied" and that the issue falls under "normal wear and tear." I was required to pay a $39.99 fee for "diagnostics," $20 to expedite shipping and repairs plus tax, and provided an estimate of up to $200 (possibly more depending on "what they find," 2/3 the cost of the laptop price purchased new).

I'm a longtime Dell purchaser and am absolutely confident, based on my user experience and other complaints that this is a product/hardware defect in the Dell Series 5000 laptop build (notably and uncoincidentally consistently affecting the right side hinge) that Dell has refused to acknowledge or to provide reasonable repair compensation to customers. I've been a loyal Dell customer since 2003, and want the hinge defect fairly addressed and Dell to stand behind its product (laptop cover) that should never have been affected by normal and careful opening and closing and which has not exceeded its life cycle. I would like an attorney to contact me for possible class action representation.

Original review: May 31, 2018

I do not like this computer's keyboard, I do not like the speed. I will get another Dell however. Customer support has always been good. I do like its portability.

Original review: May 31, 2018

If I don't keep up with Dell support assist, & run scans, I get into trouble! Usually resolve issues with ease. Great working laptop, though! Dell support alerts me re: newest updates & upgrades on its components, drivers; software & works well with Norton AV program.

Original review: May 31, 2018

I like that the battery of the Dell laptop lasts quite a while. I like that it's lightweight. I like that it's fast. I am actually using one my son bought and passed on to me but I like it as well as new ones I have owned.

Original review: May 31, 2018

Customer service is very helpful. They take the time to walk you through the steps to correct the problem. Never too busy to explain the smallest detail.

Original review: May 30, 2018

Several months earlier, issues started where this laptop had issues of either freezing up or rebooting multiple times during a day. I have an old laptop, so often out of frustration, I would put the Dell laptop aside & use the old laptop. But the issues continued & after multiple conversations w/Dell I told them during each of these communications that the laptop would get very hot & that I was concerned that it was overheating. But all I got was, "no, no, it is not overheating" & Dell's additional issue is their CS is very difficult to understand due to their language barrier. I'm in the U.S, they're in India, several times I asked for a CS in the U.S. & I was told, "there are none in the U.S."

Finally, Dell requested the laptop be returned, I thought finally! It was returned to Tech Repair in all places, Texas! After about a week, I received a call from "India" stating that the issue was the battery that was causing the laptop to overheat. Imagine that! The bad news is the battery is out of warranty, of course it is! If Dell had acted timely when the issue initially began, my laptop battery would have been replaced within warranty. I'm so disgusted that I will NEVER make a Dell purchase ever again. I'm DONE! Dell SHOULD move their CS back to the United States, but I still will never make a Dell purchase again. Buyer BEWARE!!!

Original review: May 30, 2018

My last computer was a Lenovo, and when it began to install Windows 10 updates, there were significant driver problems, and I couldn't use my laptop at all. I had it for 2 years, and fortunately I had nearly everything backed up. I immediately bought a Dell Intel on Best Buy site, and I picked it up in the store. It was on sale, and it came with a $20 discount subscription for Microsoft Office 365. The entire process of setting up the Dell was easier than most. I was able to register the laptop, install Windows 10, Microsoft Office 365, and Trend Micro Maximum Security took less than an hour. And a voice guides you through the Windows set-up process.

Original review: May 30, 2018

Dell isn't my first computer. I bought a Dell Iron 15 for the brand. Their support has been great. My knowledge and experience of computers are very limited yet the support team has been very knowledgeable and patient. I bought one for my daughter as well.

Original review: May 30, 2018

My dell computer has been used for over 7 years and I think that it still runs well, I am still using it, Windows 10, though it is not as fast as it used to be.

Original review: May 30, 2018

We all had Dell laptops! Each one never lasted any more than 5 years and would constantly break down. Either the motherboard, the plugin for the cord or the hard drive. I finally went to Lenovo!

Original review: May 29, 2018

I've had my Dell computer for about 4 yrs. It has been reliable, but initially had problems getting used to Microsoft Windows 10. Lately, though I have had to reboot it at times to get it back to normal.

Original review: May 29, 2018

I have had to replace the power cord of the Dell laptop multiple times. It would help if the power cord were more durable. It just quits working and get a pop up that the computer does not recognize it.

Dell expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Dell, now renamed Dell Technologies, is a computer company that was founded in Round Rock, Texas in 1984. Dell was started with the goal of making technologies like computers more accessible and affordable to consumers. Dell's various lines of laptops can fit consumer needs from basic application functions to business solutions.

• Inspiron 3000: Dell’s Inspiron 3000 series is an ultra-portable 2-in-1 laptop series designed to perform basic computer functions.

• Inspiron 5000: The Inspiron 5000 is a 2-in-1 laptop that is capable of displays at stronger resolutions due to a more powerful processor than the basic model.

• Inspiron 7000: The Inspiron 7000 is a high-performance laptop capable of running more taxing applications and some light gaming. The Inspiron 7000 15 is Dell’s most powerful Inspiron model.

• XPS: The Dell XPS is a laptop designed for powerhouse visual quality. They are built to be durable despite their thin size.

• Chromebook: Dell’s Chromebook 11 and Chromebook 13 are lightweight computers designed for home or business use.

• Best for: Dell laptops are best for casual users, home offices and businesses.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs