Learn More
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.14/5

Dell customers can select from Inspiron, XPS, G Series and Alienware laptops in a variety of display sizes. The company also sells accessories. The laptops have up to 64 GB of RAM and 128 GB of storage. Laptop prices range from around $280 to $5,500. Dell offers financing for home and business purchases.

Dell Laptops Reviews

Original review: Oct. 21, 2019

I've had Dell laptops for the past 8 years. Their Pro support is absolutely phenomenal! Glad I upgraded to Windows 10 before my warranty expired. And their technical support staff are based in the US, not out of the country. Highly recommend Dell!

Original review: June 28, 2019

Very excellent service in buying online and also return with no hassle. I will totally recommend. Got laptop but had to return. Nothing wrong but was not the type was Looking for. I look forward to get something else.

Get buying tips about Computer Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 9, 2019

I have bought so many different brands of laptops over the years and Dell is clearly the best brand. Every laptop I have bought from Dell has met my expectations. Dell makes good quality laptops. I just bought the Inspiron 15 5000 laptop and it's AMAZING! It's FAST and I LOVE it! The keyboard lights up too. Thank you Dell! I will never buy any other brand of computer except Dell.

Original review: May 31, 2020

In general I like Dell laptops. They are good as long as you don't need customer support. Their customer service sucks. I had ordered a laptop online with Mail-in repair service. The laptop arrived with a dysfunctional touchpad. When I raised repair request, they asked me to mail in the laptop with the promise to repair the touchpad. I mailed them the laptop and remained without laptop for over a week. In the name of repair all that they did was reinstall the OS. The touchpad is still broken and post service I see that the headphone port also does not work.

When I contact them, they say the problem was with OS and reinstalling fixed the problem. How can they claim this when the old problem exists and I see addition problem in the laptop. When I asked if I can return the laptop, they are now saying that refund period was only for 30 days. So now I am stuck with a laptop with dysfunctional "hardware", and a useless customer service.

Original review: May 25, 2020

I have been a Dell customer since about 1990. Purchased a Dell Precision M4800 in 2014. It worked well till around May 4th, 2020. On that day a Dell Driver update was installed as per Dell recommendation. The computer was slow since then, not usable for database work (Very High Interrupts, as per performance monitor). I purchased two register cleaners and reordered both SSD drives (C: for 1TB, D: for 2TB). Talked to Dell Service who told me that the computer was out of date, no replacement parts available. Ordered a new Dell Precision 7540, made sure that my "Small Business Consultant" (Ross **) understand my need for two drive bays, and since I already have two fine SSD drives, I only need the C: drive, as the D: contains close to 1TB of data, and my existing C: drive might be 'bad'.

The computer arrived about 6 days later, and I discovered there is space for a second drive but no way to attach the drive to the computer. Talked to Ross and he informed me that the adapter comes only with a new drive attached. Never heard of such nonsense in the past 30 years, or so. So I inquired about the purchase of the least expensive drive in Dell's inventory, and he has not returned my call since last Thursday. I call this poor business practice, poor product management and poor customer service.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dell Laptops?

Original review: May 15, 2020

Do not buy Dell. This model had a bad camera - blurry image - I waited 2+ months for a return and the same thing happened on the replacement product. I have been transferred from Premium Support to Sales Returns to Warranty Dept to Customer Care to Technical support and no one is taking the lead to help me. I cant get a refund because the refund only applies to the original purchase date and only for 30 days thereafter - so I'm stuck in the same awful loop to hopefully get this resolved.

Resolution response: May 27, 2020

They have fixed the battery issue and did a good job on my repairs, though I am still unhappy that the computer needed all these repairs just 2 years after purchase, and the repairs weren't cheap. I am still unhappy with the customer service where I feel it was difficult to communicate and I feel like if I hadn't intervened a bunch of times they wouldn't have fixed the battery problem, but they did so there's that.

Original review: May 15, 2020

Bought an Inspiron 7573 2-in-1 two years ago. Only a year later, right after the limited warranty ended, the battery is almost dead. Only 2 years later, the LCD screen has stopped working. Never mistreated it, never dropped it, no food on it, doesn't matter. The customer service has been abysmal. They somehow didn't notice the battery issue, even though I repeatedly sent them e-mails (which they didn't respond to), phone calls, and even filled out a form in writing stating to them that there is a battery issue and how to reproduce it (all they have to do is turn the frickin thing on and unplug it). They have charged me over $300 and haven't even fixed the battery problem. Been without it for weeks. Awful all around. Never EVER buy ANYTHING from Dell.

Original review: May 14, 2020

I purchased a Dell Inspiron 15 with an extended warranty. The laptop was not able to pick up wifi signals, barely, and when I called, emailed and chatted with support, they said it was a virus or bad software. They could never solve the problem - so I had to use a hardline all those years. Then I decided to buy a Dell Wifi part ($10) and do it myself, and the Dell laptop Wifi is working great for the first time! What sucks is I sent Dell wifi comparisons of the same exact Laptop I had at work; and worse it took over 3 years to get this damn thing working and I repaired it myself. I had only bad experiences with Dell support for my years of owning that brand. Never again. Never, never, never.

Original review: May 13, 2020

Dell Inspiron laptop purchased Feb. 2019. Feb. 2020 (2 days before warranty was up) motherboard fried. No spills, no dropping, no power surge, worked one day, did not the next. Repair takes over 2 weeks. No machine for 2 weeks. May 13, 2020 stuck on "preparing auto repair" screen. Try to get Dell support and am told no longer under warranty, nothing they can do. They send self diagnostic video instead. Will never buy a Dell product again.

Original review: April 30, 2020

I purchased an XPS 13 laptop in 2017 for college, and all I can say is that this laptop is the most unreliable laptop I've purchased. First of all, this laptop is by no means affordable, it had a hefty price, and for a hefty price you would expect reliability but not with this laptop. My troubles were also not solved by Dell's warranty because after only one year of use I had to send it twice to get it fixed, and as some of you would know a semester is almost three months and my laptop was getting fixed the entirety of my semester. Dell support also just left me in the dust when more problems started happening after the warranty expired. To this day, I wish I would have gone with a MAC because my brothers owns one and has not have one single major issue. DON'T do XPS AND DONT DO DELL SUPPORT.

Dell Laptops author review by ConsumerAffairs

Dell, now renamed Dell Technologies, is a computer company that was founded in Round Rock, Texas in 1984. Dell was started with the goal of making technologies like computers more accessible and affordable to consumers. Dell's various lines of laptops can fit consumer needs from basic application functions to business solutions.

• Inspiron 3000: Dell’s Inspiron 3000 series is an ultra-portable 2-in-1 laptop series designed to perform basic computer functions.

• Inspiron 5000: The Inspiron 5000 is a 2-in-1 laptop that is capable of displays at stronger resolutions due to a more powerful processor than the basic model.

• Inspiron 7000: The Inspiron 7000 is a high-performance laptop capable of running more taxing applications and some light gaming. The Inspiron 7000 15 is Dell’s most powerful Inspiron model.

• XPS: The Dell XPS is a laptop designed for powerhouse visual quality. They are built to be durable despite their thin size.

• Chromebook: Dell’s Chromebook 11 and Chromebook 13 are lightweight computers designed for home or business use.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team