Learn More
Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.76/5

Dell was founded in the early 1980s and was a pioneer in the home computer and technology industry. It has been a leader in high-tech computers, monitors, workstations, tablets, printers and laptops for decades.

BOTTOM LINE

Dell is a worldwide leader in computers, monitors, systems, laptops, printers and innovative technology. It offers a wide range of stylish laptops perfect for school, home and business.

PROS

• High-end features available
  • Multiple price points
  • Wide range of models

CONS

• Heavier than some other laptops
  • Budget laptops can break easily

Top Dell Laptops Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dell Laptops?

I have had Dell forever. They are very sturdy and you can trust them. My kids dropped them several times and they keep working. For college students they are a plus because come in many different formats. Very good job Dell. You have here a well satisfied customer. Thanks.

This has been a very good laptop. Good battery life, and great features. I would buy one again. I went from a desktop computer to this laptop, and never looked back. this is a laptop with many features that most computers do not have.

Dell Laptops Learn More

What is Dell?

Dell offers laptops for work and home, and its products include features that are important to students, fast-paced professionals and entrepreneurs. Some of the most popular laptops are:

• Dell XPS 13: This 2.8-pound laptop has an extended battery life and an attractive and sleek exterior frame. The screen is close to borderless, which adds flair to the design. It has a large screen, comfortable keyboard and 10th-generation Intel Core i7 processor
    • Dell XPS 15: This 4.5-pound laptop has an industrial design and high-level graphics performance. The keys and touchpad are larger than most other models, and it has a four-border InfinityEdge bezel on the screen.
    • Dell Inspiron 15 3000: This 4.96-pound laptop can replace many people’s desktop computers. It’s bulkier and heavier than some other laptops, but it offers a strong build, 6 GB of memory and an eight-hour battery. For the price (around $329), it is a solid laptop with basic features and a sleek design
    • Alienware M17: This 5.8-pound laptop is great for gaming because it features a ninth-generation Intel Core processor and DDR4 RAM. It comes in a variety of configurations that meet the needs of the serious gamer. While the battery life only lasts an average of 2½ hours for moderate gaming use, the slim design, dark colors and high-resolution display are added perks. This gaming computer starts at $1,349.99, and customized laptops can cost up to $4,229.99

How do Dell laptops work?

Dell laptops range from budget desktop replacement computers to sleek and innovative gaming PCs. Dell’s expansive line of computers lets you pick and choose the features that are important to you.

• Memory: Dell laptops come with many different memory options, ranging from 4 GB of RAM to 64 GB.
    • Storage: Storage drive sizes range from 500 GB to 2 TB and up.
    • Operating system: Dell laptops come with four different operating system options: Windows 10, Linux Ubuntu, Chrome and Chrome Enterprise Upgrade.
    • Display: Screen sizes range from 11 inches to 17 inches. There are touch screen and non-touch screen options. You can also choose the display resolution that works best for your eyes, ranging from HD and HD+ to Full HD, Full HD+, 4K and UHD+.
    • Processor: Dell laptops use seventh generation Intel Core to 10th generation Intel Core processors.
    • Life span: The average life span of a Dell laptop is three to five years.

Dell laptops prices

Dell laptops offer innovative, streamlined computers made for work, personal use and school. The most budget-friendly Dell laptops average around $350 to $400, while premium models, such as the Dell Alienware M15, can retail for over $2,000.

Consumers who want the style and functionality of a Dell laptop without paying retail prices can purchase refurbished laptops, desktops, monitors and servers at the online Dell Outlet. These refurbished laptops are 15% less than new computers and have the same impressive specs.

Dell also offers a price-match guarantee. If you find a lower-priced (and similarly configured) computer, tablet or monitor advertised online, Dell matches the price. It doesn't matter if it is from Dell, HP, Lenovo or Apple — Dell will match it.

Here are some of the most popular Dell laptops and the average cost at the time of publishing:

ModelPrice
    Dell XPS 13$1,149
    Dell XPS 15$1,299
    Dell Inspiron 15 3000$229
    Dell Precision 5750 Mobile Workstation$1,879
    Alienware M17$1,599

Dell laptops FAQ

Where are Dell laptops made?
    Dell computers are made in factories all across the world, including Ireland, Brazil, China, Malaysia and the U.S.
    Are Dell laptops good for gaming?
    Dell has specific laptops that are geared toward gamers. Dell computers aren’t specifically gaming computers, but its Alienware brand is a popular choice for gamers looking for power and speed.
    Do Dell laptops come with Microsoft Office?
    Yes. Most Dell laptops are equipped with a basic version of Office named Starter and can be upgraded to a more advanced version of Microsoft Office.
    Are Dell laptops reliable?
    Yes. Dell laptops are reliable, made of high-quality materials and have long battery life. They’ve been a trusted tool for students, business owners, bloggers and entrepreneurs for decades.

Are Dell laptops good?

Yes. Dell laptops are high-quality computers with strong batteries, sleek designs, high-end internal hardware and a variety of extras that make them a convenient tool for work or business. Dell laptops are sleek and portable, and there are many models to choose from to suit your needs and budget.

Dell Laptops Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dell Laptops?

Original review: Dec. 29, 2020

I'm on my second computer from Dell. Their products last a long time and are well made. They also have excellent technical support for a very low yearly price which is worth every penny as your computer gets older and has occasional issues. I chose to buy again from Dell when my 10 year old laptop finally became too old to safely use anymore because I trust their products and find their technical support outstanding. It is invaluable for someone who doesn't understand the inner workings of a computer to be able to call and receive technical support 24/7. I'd recommend Dell to everyone. If someone wants a reliable, long lasting laptop I trust Dell to deliver exactly that. I was very happy with my first Dell laptop, as well as pleased that it worked well for 10 years. I am just as happy with my second one from Dell.

Original review: June 15, 2020

I bought a new all in one Dell for myself that I basically use as a desktop but it is also able to be used as a laptop on battery power. It is touch screen and saves a lot of room! My husband bought a refurbished dell desktop and he loves it. Very fast and reliable. I have literally messed up so many computers prior to getting a dell that we ended up trashing them and buying another one that might last a year or two. My dell is over 5 years old now and my husbands is over 4 years old. Both are going strong and we are now dedicated 'dell' fans!

Get buying tips about Computer Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 10, 2020

Dell computers are reasonably priced, especially from 3rd party sellers such as Costco, where I got my XPS 8700 for $350 less than on Dell site (the savings would also pay for nearly 6 years of future Costco membership renewals!). When these gets older & needs repair, parts are readily available on eBay at very low prices, as are upgrades to the CPU, GPU, etc. Although today with laptops, all OEM's usually has the CPU & one stick of RAM soldered in place, if not all. Still one can upgrade their mini tower PC with ease. Have purchased several business or enterprise computers with physical TPM for securing drives for 5% or less of original price (last one was $105 for an over $3,000 as shipped 5 year old Optiplex PC).

Original review: June 9, 2020

I have used Dell laptops for years and built my own desktops. I have found Dell laptops to be very reliable, easy to use, great features and reasonably priced. They are also easy to upgrade. There are several online vendors which specialize in Dell upgrades and repair parts. The best deals on Dell laptops and tablets is to purchase from a quality aftermarket dealer of Dell computers. I have purchased many of my Dell laptops from **. I have never had a problem from this vendor and they offer a one year warranty on the Dell products they sell.

Original review: June 6, 2020

I was a HP diehard user until about 5 years ago when I received my first Dell I have been in love ever since. They run well have excellent customer service and stand behind their warranty. I use one for my business and one for every day games and life I can't begin to sing the praises of how well they work. Lots of memory and storage even for the less expensive ones. You can't go wrong owning a Dell. Easy to set up right out the box. Dell makes sure you keep it updated. And if for some chance you have trouble just call for a customer service rep to happily walk you through your problem.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2021

My Dell XPS15 is 4 years old and is a real work horse! Fast, always reliable, and I use it daily for at least 4 hours. There was a problem a couple of years ago with the power outlet being loose. I got it fixed and it's perfect now. Also Dell service has been extremely helpful and responsive on the few occasions I had to contact them. I would recommend Dell laptops whole heartedly.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2021

All was fine until 6 months in. I tried to update BIOS. It wouldn't upload. I called Support and techs insisted they could do it remotely (3 times!), but they couldn't. I read enough to know some of the dangers (the one who got closest didn't know to disable BitLocker first). Nor did they understand the processes of manually forcing BIOS to update. Yes, you actually do need to format a bootable disk. I was lucky that omission didn't do more damage, but BIOS didn't update, either. Actually the computer stopped recognizing sound devices, but letting it 'rest' for a week took care of that. It likes both external speakers and headphone earbuds, now. had to get speakers because the sound is pathetically low, even with all things on full blast! So now after full days trying to get help they promised me a detailed list of steps to take -- and sent me a warning to disable something else, only, not BitLocker.

I am so frustrated with Dell. The ONLY alternatives they are offering are to have someone come to my house -- Covid? No thank you! -- Or for me to mail the computer somewhere back to them. Two stores where I purchased the thing are within an hour, but apparently they don't have Dell techs. (Dell doesn't have Dell techs! They know very little!) I have asked for someone to walk me through the steps on the phone, but no, I have to start with the listed steps. Which they have not sent me! They have already spent many hours with me on the phone. Why not just walk me through the processes: backup, creation of a bootable disk, closing all relevant bits needing closed, and then the install of BIOS?

This is NOT an unusual problem. In fact the solution (brought up all over the 'net) is to download the .exe file manually -- but they won't tell me how, and it's hardly intuitive! But they're calling it a hardware problem now -- so either Dell has crappy hard drives/hardware or they, yet again, have no idea of what they're talking about. They also won't tell me where the nearest Dell tech is located. I'm beyond frustration. I'm leaving factual reviews!

Original review: Dec. 31, 2020

No they are fraud, they sell me a defective product. I bought Dell Inspiron laptop cost RS- 62,500 on September 2020. And problem arises after next day of bought it. And now different problems day by day. I called several times on dell call center but my problem is not resolved. I also went to service center but, they say no problem in my laptop, ask for 900 RS for diagnosis it. I have 3 year warranty of hardware and I have only 3 moths to buy it, still they ask for RS 900 service charge for hardware check.

Problems arise are like— Hang, even hang on running YouTube, blue screen error, fan always running very fast even. I run no application in it, its display on off itself, and a lots of problems. It is complete defective package. Please don’t buy Dell laptops, they are expensive and give low quality products. I advice to go with other laptops like HP. I used HP laptop for 10 years and still it working AWESOME.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2020

I ordered a new Dell XPS 15 9500 laptop for at home use and I'm extremely happy with power of performance. It is a quick start up and very quiet. There have been no issues. Great value for price. I love the sleek and smart design and very lightweight.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2020

Experienced 'blue/black' screen 28th Jan. '20. No fix would work for my less than 12 month old mid-range laptop still under guarantee. Rang number on my Invoice, to find it 'discontinued'. Rang another customer support number and spoke to Dell agent very likely in India. He referred me to Technical Services, where I was immediately cut off by recorded message stating that they were unavailable and bye bye dial tone. No information as to when they might be back?? Rang back customer services again and explained what just happened, and what was likely to happen again should they repeat as before. He stated no problem, and they would help. But the help was to refer me once again to unavailable Tech. Services.

Repeated my quest for help with my Dell- guaranteed product one more time to be left frustrated and disappointed. Two days later, still no contact from Dell or offer of assistance. My opinion: Very poor Customer Service from Dell to me, and a serious consideration for me in buying another product directly from their website in future. By the way, I currently have a Dell desktop and two Dell Laptops. Foolish me??

Dell Laptops Company Information