2.0/5 (73 ratings)

About Dell Laptops

Dell was founded in the early 1980s and was a pioneer in the home computer and technology industry. It has been a leader in high-tech computers, monitors, workstations, tablets, printers and laptops for decades.

Pros

• High-end features available
  • Multiple price points
  • Wide range of models

Cons

• Heavier than some other laptops
  • Budget laptops can break easily

Bottom Line

Dell is a worldwide leader in computers, monitors, systems, laptops, printers and innovative technology. It offers a wide range of stylish laptops perfect for school, home and business.

Top Dell Laptops Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I have had Dell forever. They are very sturdy and you can trust them. My kids dropped them several times and they keep working. For college students they are a plus because come i...

Verified

This has been a very good laptop. Good battery life, and great features. I would buy one again. I went from a desktop computer to this laptop, and never looked back. this is a lap...

What is Dell?

Dell offers laptops for work and home, and its products include features that are important to students, fast-paced professionals and entrepreneurs. Some of the most popular laptops are:

• Dell XPS 13: This 2.8-pound laptop has an extended battery life and an attractive and sleek exterior frame. The screen is close to borderless, which adds flair to the design. It has a large screen, comfortable keyboard and 10th-generation Intel Core i7 processor
  • Dell XPS 15: This 4.5-pound laptop has an industrial design and high-level graphics performance. The keys and touchpad are larger than most other models, and it has a four-border InfinityEdge bezel on the screen.
  • Dell Inspiron 15 3000: This 4.96-pound laptop can replace many people’s desktop computers. It’s bulkier and heavier than some other laptops, but it offers a strong build, 6 GB of memory and an eight-hour battery. For the price (around $329), it is a solid laptop with basic features and a sleek design
  • Alienware M17: This 5.8-pound laptop is great for gaming because it features a ninth-generation Intel Core processor and DDR4 RAM. It comes in a variety of configurations that meet the needs of the serious gamer. While the battery life only lasts an average of 2½ hours for moderate gaming use, the slim design, dark colors and high-resolution display are added perks. This gaming computer starts at $1,349.99, and customized laptops can cost up to $4,229.99

How do Dell laptops work?

Dell laptops range from budget desktop replacement computers to sleek and innovative gaming PCs. Dell’s expansive line of computers lets you pick and choose the features that are important to you.

• Memory: Dell laptops come with many different memory options, ranging from 4 GB of RAM to 64 GB.
  • Storage: Storage drive sizes range from 500 GB to 2 TB and up.
  • Operating system: Dell laptops come with four different operating system options: Windows 10, Linux Ubuntu, Chrome and Chrome Enterprise Upgrade.
  • Display: Screen sizes range from 11 inches to 17 inches. There are touch screen and non-touch screen options. You can also choose the display resolution that works best for your eyes, ranging from HD and HD+ to Full HD, Full HD+, 4K and UHD+.
  • Processor: Dell laptops use seventh generation Intel Core to 10th generation Intel Core processors.
  • Life span: The average life span of a Dell laptop is three to five years.

Dell laptops prices

Dell laptops offer innovative, streamlined computers made for work, personal use and school. The most budget-friendly Dell laptops average around $350 to $400, while premium models, such as the Dell Alienware M15, can retail for over $2,000.

Consumers who want the style and functionality of a Dell laptop without paying retail prices can purchase refurbished laptops, desktops, monitors and servers at the online Dell Outlet. These refurbished laptops are 15% less than new computers and have the same impressive specs.

Dell also offers a price-match guarantee. If you find a lower-priced (and similarly configured) computer, tablet or monitor advertised online, Dell matches the price. It doesn't matter if it is from Dell, HP, Lenovo or Apple — Dell will match it.

Here are some of the most popular Dell laptops and the average cost at the time of publishing:

ModelPrice
Dell XPS 13$1,149
Dell XPS 15$1,299
Dell Inspiron 15 3000$229
Dell Precision 5750 Mobile Workstation$1,879
Alienware M17$1,599

Dell laptops FAQ

Where are Dell laptops made?
Dell computers are made in factories all across the world, including Ireland, Brazil, China, Malaysia and the U.S.
Are Dell laptops good for gaming?
Dell has specific laptops that are geared toward gamers. Dell computers aren’t specifically gaming computers, but its Alienware brand is a popular choice for gamers looking for power and speed.
Do Dell laptops come with Microsoft Office?
Yes. Most Dell laptops are equipped with a basic version of Office named Starter and can be upgraded to a more advanced version of Microsoft Office.
Are Dell laptops reliable?
Yes. Dell laptops are reliable, made of high-quality materials and have long battery life. They’ve been a trusted tool for students, business owners, bloggers and entrepreneurs for decades.

Are Dell laptops good?

Yes. Dell laptops are high-quality computers with strong batteries, sleek designs, high-end internal hardware and a variety of extras that make them a convenient tool for work or business. Dell laptops are sleek and portable, and there are many models to choose from to suit your needs and budget.

Dell Laptops Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dell Laptops?

Original review: Jan. 9, 2021

My Dell XPS15 is 4 years old and is a real work horse! Fast, always reliable, and I use it daily for at least 4 hours. There was a problem a couple of years ago with the power outlet being loose. I got it fixed and it's perfect now. Also Dell service has been extremely helpful and responsive on the few occasions I had to contact them. I would recommend Dell laptops whole heartedly.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2020

I'm on my second computer from Dell. Their products last a long time and are well made. They also have excellent technical support for a very low yearly price which is worth every penny as your computer gets older and has occasional issues. I chose to buy again from Dell when my 10 year old laptop finally became too old to safely use anymore because I trust their products and find their technical support outstanding. It is invaluable for someone who doesn't understand the inner workings of a computer to be able to call and receive technical support 24/7. I'd recommend Dell to everyone. If someone wants a reliable, long lasting laptop I trust Dell to deliver exactly that. I was very happy with my first Dell laptop, as well as pleased that it worked well for 10 years. I am just as happy with my second one from Dell.

Get buying tips about Computer Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2020

The Dell laptop is not very fancy or the fastest, but it works well and it works well for a long time. I have had this computer for over three years and it works much better than expected. The trackpad is a little bigger than I believe is necessary and the keyboard does not hold up well under applied force, but these are minor points. The Dell backup features however, are not very effective for my needs. But, the backup utility does allow you to customize and create a backup that works for you, so this helps the matter.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2020

I've had this Dell Inspiron 15 laptop for over 7 years with 0 problems. I would rate this laptop as a 5 but the performance at times, especially during startup and maybe 5 minutes after startup, the system is slow. Although this may be related to security software or system updates running in the background. Now that I have a Surface Pro, I only use this laptop maybe twice a month for budget and tax software. In the past I would use it maybe once or twice a week.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2020

I was very careful in my purchase last Dec. - wanting the most value for my dollars. Over the year, I've experienced some defects - minor but annoying. Easy to get tech help by phone and/or live chat. When the issues weren't resolved completely, they actually sent a tech person to my home, even during Covid, at no charge. He fixed everything. This was even beyond what my warranty covered by they did it for good faith customer service.

Original review: July 22, 2021

Dell dispatched a subcontractor to change out a motherboard in my 6 months old laptop under warranty. However, when they did so, they locked up my hard drive making my computer not useable. I ended up paying over $650 to my local IT service provider to reinstall my hard drive from a recent back up, and lost a few days' worth of work. All Dell ended up offering me in compensation was a $150 credit. I will never buy another Dell product, and recommend you don't either!

Original review: May 25, 2021

I would never ever deal with Dell co even if the are the only supplier left in the world. Sales people are liars, technical support not responding, escalation team in tatters even top people. They are busy in social networks not in business.

Original review: April 27, 2021

I ordered a laptop on their website. The delivery time was too long so I asked to cancel. They said they will speed things up so I waited. My laptop finally did arrive but the delivery services were forbidden by Dell from delivering if the apartment number was not there (which no other company does). So I called back Dell multiple times, sent countless emails.

Something is wrong with their customer services. I think they divided things into multiple services with countless checkpoints leading to the most broken customer service I have ever dealt with. So after 1 week of daily calls, they failed to change the address with the delivery service, so the delivery service tagged the package as undeliverable and sent it back to Dell. So here I am, waiting another 15 days to have my money back and without a computer during a pandemic where teleworking is essential. A total of 3-week nightmare with the worse service ever. I don't know about the computer's quality (though I am ready issues from many) but I am done with DELL for life.

Original review: April 19, 2021

Bought a Dell Laptop which arrived dead on arrival. 25 days later no replacement. Tech Support tells me to not call instead email for updates but nobody responds to emails. Awful service from Dell and I do not recommend buying from this company.

Original review: April 6, 2021

I am looking for a new laptop and Dell Computer looked like they have the best pricing for value. Then Dell decided to get political in Texas. Companies should sell products and stay away from politics. I will not be buying a laptop from Dell, even is it costs me more.

Dell Laptops Company Information