3.53/5
Based on 1,215 ratings submitted in the last year

1405 Dell Laptops Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 14, 2019

Same design flaws as the 9550, same build excellence also. I had to recently replace my Dell XPS 15 9550. Since all the other performance laptop manufacturers seem to be aiming at the spoilt teenager market, I got the latest iteration of the Dell XPS 15, the 9570. Reasons why I had to replace the computer: Inability to replace or charge existing batteries - the DC power jack port mechanically failed after three years, which appears to have shorted the power supply diodes and making a battery replacement moot.

MOST IMPORTANTLY after 2 years the hinge suffered a catastrophic mechanical failure. The Dell XPS 15 design has a molded soft steel chassis bonded to the carbon fibre palmrest. This is extremely strong, but also quite flexible. The lid of the laptop requires about 1-2kg force to open, and this not only stresses the connection of the hinge to the chassis, but also puts mechanical stress on the screws that hold the backplate on (the two corner screws on the fan outlet side). The hinge is screwed into a molded screwblock that is bonded to the carbon, and connected to the rest of the chassis with a strip of soft steel only 0.8mm thick. This WILL break over time, absolutely no two ways about it. Your machine therefore has a life of around 3 years, irrespective of the excellent health of the internal components, which are still going strong.

It is a pitiable waste of a machine to throw away something that STILL WORKS just because Dell do not offer more than a 1 year breakage warranty. I'm not suggesting this is planned obsolescence, more like shoddy engineering. It is more than possible to reinforce the chassis with epoxy resin (or an x-brace of molded steel) where the DC power cable runs through to its inlet on the mainboard. Dell have opted not to look at this. They have not replied to several attempts to get their attention.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

I called Dell Concierge Support on Friday regarding my Dell Inspiron's damage to its right corner due to a fall from my sofa. They were exceedingly helpful, courteous and knowledgeable. I received a FedEx label and Dell box to ship my laptop for repair on Monday morning. I wrapped it carefully with the bubble wrap they provided and sent it to Dell for repair on Monday afternoon at about 4:00 PM. I was so pleasantly surprised at receiving my laptop back this morning via FedEx overnight service. My laptop looks and feels brand new! THANK YOU DELL Customer Service!!!

Get expert buying tips about Computer Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

I went into Best Buy looking for a machine with an AMD Ryzen processor and dual band WiFi card. I found this Inspiron 5575 with 8GB of RAM, 1TB HDD, Dual band wifi, touch screen, camera, and HD graphics card all for around $560. After having this product for a couple of days, I am very impressed. It is lightweight, has a lighted keyboard, great battery life, and a decent Radeon graphics card. My only complaint was that I would have liked to have a DVD-RW drive - but I could always get an external drive. This thing is fast too, very responsive and runs cool - I couldn't be happier with my purchase. I highly recommend this machine to anyone looking for a great affordable laptop! :)

Original review: May 30, 2018

My last computer was a Lenovo, and when it began to install Windows 10 updates, there were significant driver problems, and I couldn't use my laptop at all. I had it for 2 years, and fortunately I had nearly everything backed up. I immediately bought a Dell Intel on Best Buy site, and I picked it up in the store. It was on sale, and it came with a $20 discount subscription for Microsoft Office 365. The entire process of setting up the Dell was easier than most. I was able to register the laptop, install Windows 10, Microsoft Office 365, and Trend Micro Maximum Security took less than an hour. And a voice guides you through the Windows set-up process.

Original review: May 26, 2018

I have had my Dell laptop computer for at least 3 years. I am on my computer every day. It helps me, because I do not have to leave home to get up to date information immediately. I also can use my computer any time of the day. I am usually on my computer as early as 5:00 a.m. Using a computer opens doors of information that you cannot get from watching TV or listening to the radio. You can talk to others anywhere in the States, whenever you want. If I did not have my computer, I would seriously be lost.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dell?

Original review: May 24, 2019

I bought a brand new unit which has never worked correctly since the moment I turned it on. DELL's reps have failed to figure out what is wrong with it and to fix it. I had their IT specialist remotely tap in. I also had them run professional scans on it, and I sent it back to them to be fixed. However, they send it back to me in the same condition. The only thing on the computer was the operating system and nothing was even plugged into the computer, not even a mouse or hard drive.

I turned it back on and it immediately started doing the same things, crashing, screen blinking black, screen blinking with lines across it, freezing up within minutes of being on. I contacted them again and we set up a meeting for their IT guy to access it. He failed to show up, 6 times! 6 times he failed to show up and wasted 11 hours of my life. I asked for a refund because on numerous occasions and their attempts to fix it they have failed. Either they cannot fix the unit or they refuse to. They will not issue me a refund for my new computer nor will they fix it. This computer was brand new and is still under warranty. At this point I'm in contact with the BBB and my attorney. If I could give them zero stars I would.

Original review: May 20, 2019

I bought Dell XPS 15 about 5 months ago. First one month and half I didn't used it. I started using in March. From that time my PC rebooting in the middle of the work. Then I sent it to Dell repair center. They replaced motherboard and speaker. After that it's rebooting again. Dell repair center took the PC again and replaced the hard drive and sent me back yesterday. Again it reboots. I write this review at Dell.com. But they did not approve it to post on their site. So, I suggest not to make decision just based on the reviews on their own site.

Original review: May 17, 2019

I’ve had a Dell laptop when I started college back in 2008. Until this day I still have the same laptop. It is a Windows 7 and it is outdated and slow but I still you use it to download music. I am hoping you guys can create the perfect laptops and least several. You guys really need to create a Dell Inspiron 4000 or 5000 with a screen size of 13.5-14.5 with an SSD expandable hard drive and for at least $500-$600. I love Dell and I can't see myself getting another brand laptop at all. Please make this happen.

Original review: May 17, 2019

Ordered a brand new XPS 15 directly from Dell, and it arrived bricked and with a blinking light indicating the CPU was kaput. How does this get past QC? The rumors are true apparently, terrible company.

Original review: May 15, 2019

I use Dell Inspiron 3567. From the date of purchase, 2 months later I had to replace my motherboard twice within period of one week. Then after 4 months again I had to replace my motherboard. Now again after 3 months I was forced to replace my motherboard. Total 4 times in a year!!. All the time either my laptop got dead, wasn't starting or Windows got crashed. With this continuous cycle of replacing motherboard 4 times, when asked for compensation, Dell straight away denied to provide me with that. For Dell, company policies are more prior than customer satisfaction and services. They are not aware that they will lose goodwill. Never ever go for Dell laptop!!!! Just pathetic!!! And your complaint will not be heard upon as well. They will just function according to their guidelines, and not bother about your satisfaction and fulfillment of request.

Original review: May 11, 2019

1.5 year old laptop. Working but restarting. Went thru troubleshooting which completely froze laptop so worse off than before the call. They say further steps will require loss of all data. Why didn't they say that in the beginning? Never did get an answer. Even though supervisor Norma agrees they only acknowledged that after 90 minutes. They then transfer us to a different department which is charging 129 dollars to troubleshoot software and try to recover data.

Original review: May 9, 2019

This is the final time I will shop at this company. Something told me to not give them a second chance after I purchased another bum system years ago. I recently ordered a computer, wireless mouse and keyboard that was recommended at checkout as matching the ordered laptop to first have delivery issues... They use FedEx. Don't tell you that they require a signature, and I waited 4 days for my delivery due to FedEx's delays. I could get nothing done in my home for 4 days waiting for the door as Dell refused to drop the signature requirement, even under the circumstances. Mind you, I was home anyway and they refused. I told them to cancel the order since it was so delayed and they did not. The package arrived 4 days later and after all that waiting, the driver did not knock at all and a signature was not obtained. 4 days of my time...wasted.

I then had a professional IT person come to my home to set the laptop up and transfer my files. To his shock, the system could not locate the keyboard or the mouse I paid for, that Dell sent that was supposed to work with this same laptop. After much going back and forth with their horrible agent, Leonard, who told me he'd issue a refund for the expedited shipping, keyboard and mouse, I never received the credit and now will have to file fraud. Since I have to do so anyway, I will file for the whole order. The laptop is a POS, can't locate anything wireless, and I paid for all of this. It's as if this laptop is refurbished. It's ancient...behind.

Not even sure why they advertised this on their front page as if it were a current model. This model should be eliminated altogether much less my IT person told me it was overpriced and is worth about $400. I overpaid for a defective laptop. It's slow, and I had my router replaced and upgraded by Verizon so that is not the issue. It's the processor. And I paid for a keyboard and mouse that I can't use. The laptop mouse is oversensitive which is why I needed the wireless mouse. I will never again deal with Dell after this. They literally stole my money with no care or consideration of their ethics or repeat business. Buyer beware.

Original review: May 6, 2019

Please, do not purchase Dell. The customer service is the worst. I don't know who employs their technician but they are a bunch of dorky people who don't even know how to properly diagnose a laptop. I sent my laptop two times and they failed to rectify it again and again. Every time I talked to the customer care they gave a flimsy excuse and postponed the resolution to a later date. To everyone reading this review I encourage never to purchase a Dell laptop unless you volunteer for massive headaches and frustration. My advice: look for other brands!!

Original review: May 5, 2019

Slow computer system. Contacted by company to purchase service plan after a year use. Computer locked on last day notification. I believe Dell remotely lock computer to force customer to purchase service plan. Computer was working fine until last day of service contract expired.

Original review: May 3, 2019

Financed a laptop. Even though it was paid off months ago, this company still takes money out of my account every month. I have commented this to them numerous times and they don't seem to care. My bank has contacted them directly as well to no avail. Thieves!!! I have to go to my bank to a request to have the payment traced and repaid back to me. It is a total waste of my time, has caused other payments to go NSF at my cost! This company is unbelievable, my bank is unable to stop them because every month the amount is different, off by a cent or two, so they are scammers and robbing people blind! I would never recommend this company or product. How can you continue to take money from people when they have paid their balance in full? You owe me money for the NSF payments I have incurred, the time I have wasted, the stress and agony over how am I going to cover my other bills. Lying thieving scammers!!!

Original review: May 3, 2019

I recently purchased a Dell 7530, which is still under warranty, with digital hard drives. Love the response. HOWEVER, the keyboard and screen are what I use for immediate contact all day long. This is the latest in a long series of Dell laptop purchases, and the keyboard is unquestionably the most difficult to work on any Dell or other laptops I've used. I've tried all keyboard settings adjustments without any effect on the problems. I will not send the 7530 back for corrective action since (from the representative) there are no keyboard options except to the replace the same keyboard with an identical one, so I should not expect the problems to be resolved.

PROBLEMS

1. Keys are very hard and punching rather than typing is required.

2. Keys are not uniformly responsive across their surface; easiest to see this with the space bar, which is is more of a space key than a bar across its length.

PROBLEMS EFFECT.... SLOWS WORK. SIGNIFICANT TYPING INPUT CORRECTION IS REQUIRED; I've never encountered this on another Dell. Conclusion. This keyboard is a serious design flaw. Vic **.

Original review: May 2, 2019

Use extreme caution if you are considering buy a laptop from Dell. They sell a basic home computer where 92% of the memory is taken when you receive it. It is so slow that it takes very long to download anything. Their solution to the problem is YOU need to BUY some software to increase the memory. Dell did not have an answer when I asked why they would sell a computer that had basically no memory.

Original review: May 1, 2019

Advanced resolution Team is a bunch of irresponsible arrogant rude group. Instead of helping and taking care of customer experience, they just play around using weird and nonexistent clauses. Need some contacts of Dell executive team as it seems Advanced resolution team thinks they are the boss and they can do whatever and say whatever they want as they are the last line of customer support. A bunch of disgusting people acting as bullies. SHAME ON YOU DELL FOR TAKING PREMIUM SUPPORT MONEY FROM CUSTOMER AND RUINING THEIR MONEY.

Original review: April 30, 2019

Hello Friend, Recently I had purchased Dell laptop Vostro 3478 on 18th April 2019 and From day one facing problem but no one is able to resolve issue. Only Dell is brand but product is very bad as am using Dell Laptop. Request to you don't pruchased Dell laptop.

Original review: April 29, 2019

I bought my daughter a computer last December for Christmas. It kept freezing up on her. She spent hours on the phone with customer support reps and they couldn’t fix it. She had to ship it back. They worked on it, returned it to her and it still did the same thing. It went back again. They made repairs and sent it back to her. It still doesn’t work. She’s spent MORE time dealing with customer service, who recently told her they would send her a refurbished replacement. REFURBISHED? Did I pay you for a refurbished computer?

A few minutes ago I talked to another customer service rep. He wants her to take pictures of the service tag, time and date stamped, and the ID No from the charger and email all that to “prove she has it in her possession”. Who else would have it? She’s been dealing with this for months and they have shipped it to her 3 times now!

You’ve had my money since mid-December. My daughter still does not have the new computer I paid for. This is my last effort to resolve this. I have been jerked around by the little idiots in “customer service” long enough. I’ve had several of your machines over the years and was about to buy a graduation laptop for another daughter of mine. Keith **

Original review: April 27, 2019

I wish I could review on how well the laptop I ordered did or did not work, but 6 weeks later I still do not have it and there is another delay in shipment. I paid extra to have it shipped faster since I needed it to finish projects for school before the end of this semester. The website said they had the laptop in stock when I ordered it. In the meantime, the laptop has gone on sale and there has been an extra discount. I have been in contact with customer service to see if they could apply that discount and they say since it's already "in production" I cannot have any discount applied. I can cancel the order reorder it and get the discount, but I suspect then it will be another 6 plus weeks delay before I would get my laptop. I argued that applying a discount to my account has nothing to do with production, but they disagree. I originally ordered it through Dell with a discount through my university.

The semester has ended, I no longer urgently need the laptop. I found the same laptop for cheaper at Walmart without a school "discount". Dell will not do nothing to make the experience better or rectify the problem. I am going to cancel my order and purchase another brand in a store. I'm also going to see about reporting Dell to FTC or my state's attorney general. Wanted to put zero stars, put the site requires that I at least put one star.

Original review: April 26, 2019

I have a 1200.00 Inspiron That when it was repaired in my home and it was stripped down the case weighs about 25 pounds and the internal parts that count weigh about 2 pounds. I have a problem with this computer. Since I bought it no video. I called in about 20 times and it's still not fixed. I talked to this rep on the phone today and it is humorous because for trouble shooting tests I had to tell her I saw the power button on the tower and I had to say I saw the monitor power button on the monitor. I'm treating and talking to them, as they treat me like Idiots.

All I want is my computer fixed and it's not. The resolution team from India called my home and 2 rings and hung up. 3 times they did that. Then I got an email from Jerold ** from the US office and Dell India tells me he is from India and he is never in or he will be in on Tuesday Or He will Be in on Monday. They even lie to you. I want my computer Fixed. This is Consumer Affairs. I need help getting my computer fixed.

Original review: April 24, 2019

I bought a Dell laptop for my high schooler on his request even though we had all historically owned Apple computers. After less than 2 years the motherboard failed and it was going to cost almost as much as I paid for the computer to replace. The only reason I knew this was because I took the laptop to a computer repair place since Dell would not even talk to me about troubleshooting unless I paid them (they won't talk to you for free after the one year warranty is up).

I WILL NEVER BUY A DELL AGAIN!

Original review: April 23, 2019

Where do I start? Through the advice of a Dell representative I ordered a laptop that did not work well for my video application. So I immediately boxed it up and sent it back in hopes of ordering something more powerful. But my customer service experience for the return was so horrible that I was credited a 30.00 refund on my order. After that I was skeptical of Dell and decided to wait for my refund before ordering again. The original computer was ordered on March 10th 2019 and was received back to Dell by Mar 16th with a proper RMA etc in its original packaging.

It is now April 23rd and I have not seen the credit to my credit card. I called Dell customer service 7 times to find out what is going on. Well talked to a customer service rep in returns today and was told I would receive my purchase price minus the 30.00 for the bad customer service by Shiva ** in customer service returns. This was my first and last dealing with Dell. I thought Michael Dell ran a legit company. i just see them using my credit for interest into their own bank account. Dell if you care who this is track me with Dell Order Number **.

Original review: April 22, 2019

Terrible experience, would give it 0 stars if this was an option. My order was supposed to be delivered 10 business days after payment, and each time I check the order status, it gets pushed back 1-2 weeks. I call customer service to see what's going on, and each time, they reply with 'your order will be shipped by the next estimated shipment date, we promise'. Now there is a 3 month delay on shipping my order. I have requested a refund as I cannot wait that long for an order, but Dell refuses to refund my transaction and insists that I wait for the production team to get in touch with me to provide an update on the order status. This is unethical and fraudulent behavior. Dell holds my payment without delivering the product on time (if ever), and they will not give me a refund either. I will not be purchasing from Dell ever again.

Original review: April 17, 2019

Bought the computer (Model Inspiron 15, 3000 Series) from Best Buy. After a few months, it would not hold charge. Lost my receipt, but had the original box which showed a date still in warranty. Best Buy would do not anything, so Dell sent a shipping label to send back. Soon after getting it back it quit working again. Did not receive my original box back which showed the date, so I bought an iPad. While going through my photos found a copy of my original box but now it really is past warranty. Now Dell wants to charge me for a computer that never held a charge. Unhappy with Best Buy and really upset with Dell. I am SOL, don’t buy a Dell. Sara **

Original review: April 16, 2019

Purchasing through Dell website was very bad experience in multi-levels. 1- The salesman rejected to give me discount and was encouraging me to make the purchase straight away, she kept sending me emails almost every day. 2- 2 days after I bought the laptop, Dell has offered further $200 discount. I contacted the salesman but she never answered my emails.

3- The delivery of the laptop is similar to a black hole. When Dell sends your computer, They ship it to a Black Hole (They call it warehouse). The last status you will see about your computer is "Status: Shipped - In transit to local hub" which is scientifically called the Event Horizon. This status never gets updated and you never hear about your computer ever again. 4- More than 2 weeks and the laptop is In transit to local hub and contacted customer service they were not nice. 5- had to cancel the order after wasting 3 weeks, postponed my studies and wasted time money and stress. 6- Worst service ever, once they get your money you never hear from them.

Original review: April 13, 2019

My laptop wouldn’t turn on. So I called customer support. I after three calls, being on hold for 45 minutes and being hung up on the second call I finally got the info to have a box sent to my house to send in my unresponsive laptop. After a few days, once my laptop was in Dell’s hands, they informed me that their diagnostic was that my laptop wasn’t responding due to a “huge crack across the screen” (as described by the “customer support” rep telling me the diagnosis). I know that isn’t the problem because the “huge crack” was mere mere one-inch crack in the side of the screen. One of which was barely noticeable and never yielded any problems towards the laptops OS for the 1.5 years it had been there.

Speaking of time and years, during the first three phone calls and the last (4th) phone call I was continually told the warranty had either expired or was only valid for 1-year. Which it hadn’t expired before it was in Dell’s hands and it was a 3-year warranty. Later, I was then asked to pay ~$239 to have the laptop repaired and sent back to me. I informed the customer server rep that the computer is hardly worth that much anymore, and he tried to reassure me my computer was the top of the line and it was a good deal. It may have been a good deal three years ago when the computer was new but not anymore. I then asked the rep just to send the laptop back to me without charging me an arm and leg.

I later looked online and quickly found a handful of my exact laptop for between $230-$250– the same price it was for Dell was offering. My 3-year warranty failed to provide anything but a headache, stress, and a lost customer. I’ve been an advocate for anything and all Dell products for close to 10 years. But this poor customer service and lack of compensation towards a loyal customer isn’t acceptable.

Original review: April 13, 2019

I bought a custom XPS15, at this level, most of the big brands have very similar offerings. I recommend trying a different company based on service alone. Dell's service is atrocious, when you finally get someone on the phone they barely speak English, are not motivated to help, please the customer, or improve a terrible experience. Please do yourself a favor and shop elsewhere just to save the headache when they create unmentioned order holds or your general need for customer support - it's not there.

Original review: April 12, 2019

I am a business customer who moved over to Dell products 3.5 months ago when I purchased an Inspiron 7000. I'm currently about to return my second failed machine, in that short space of time, with nothing to use during the repair window, meaning I have to go out and purchase another laptop while this piece of junk gets replaced. The level of quality in these laptops is truly terrible and it was a massive mistake handing over any money to this company. Time taken to replace the first one after diagnosis: 24 days (without a laptop for work). Surprisingly enough, 2 failed Inspiron 7000 laptops in 3.5 months is not something which strikes much of a cord with Dell, nor does it lead to anything outside of their standard, scripted, robotic responses for apparent solutions. The only thing worse than the products has been the genuinely laughable "customer service" which I've had to endure over the space of many, many hours.

Want flexibility or understanding from a company whose products have let you down continuously? Forgot about it, seriously. Multi billion dollar tech business must have solid internal processes to ensure good communication, right? Absolutely not, get ready to explain your entire situation to every single person you have to communicate with. Oh, and enjoy the online chat reps who pretend to go away and see what they can do for you when you're unhappy, only to come back with the same "one time accepted" offer that you've seen pasted into chat windows multiple times already - seriously Dell, your customers are not as brain dead as your agents and this does not fly with most people.

I wish that just one single person I've dealt with (must be pushing on for 20+ now) at Dell had instilled confidence in me that these issues will not be ongoing but, honestly, it seems to be only the beginning. I'll leave any readers with an interesting final point: my other half's employer is a Dell partner and the whole company has XPS laptops as a result. After recently receiving a large batch of new models, they've lost hundreds of hours of productivity due to the laptops outright rejecting MS Office, something which Dell blames Microsoft for and just refuses to do anything about. Think of that what you will.

Dell expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Dell, now renamed Dell Technologies, is a computer company that was founded in Round Rock, Texas in 1984. Dell was started with the goal of making technologies like computers more accessible and affordable to consumers. Dell's various lines of laptops can fit consumer needs from basic application functions to business solutions.

• Inspiron 3000: Dell’s Inspiron 3000 series is an ultra-portable 2-in-1 laptop series designed to perform basic computer functions.

• Inspiron 5000: The Inspiron 5000 is a 2-in-1 laptop that is capable of displays at stronger resolutions due to a more powerful processor than the basic model.

• Inspiron 7000: The Inspiron 7000 is a high-performance laptop capable of running more taxing applications and some light gaming. The Inspiron 7000 15 is Dell’s most powerful Inspiron model.

• XPS: The Dell XPS is a laptop designed for powerhouse visual quality. They are built to be durable despite their thin size.

• Chromebook: Dell’s Chromebook 11 and Chromebook 13 are lightweight computers designed for home or business use.

• Best for: Dell laptops are best for casual users, home offices and businesses.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs