Dell Laptops

Compare Computer Brands

Research top Computer Brands recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Have experienced battery problems from the start. I leave my laptop plugged in. It will regularly start losing battery power. My son told to unplug it for a while and then plug back in. It has done this from the beginning. After I plug back in it works for a while.

I am very frustrated with my Dell XPS 13. I have had several issues the first two months of ownership. I had to send the computer back to the factory to replace the hard drive. What a hassle, because I use the laptop for work. Also deleted my files. Then, today, after the backlit keyboard went dark and the speaker won't work, the tech support people asked me to send back the computer for a new motherboard and keyboard. Gosh, I wish I would have gotten the Apple or Surface Pro. They seem to be trouble free.

I have had very little problems with my Dell laptop. I find it easy to navigate and also durable. I recommend this brand. Dell seems to be a very well built computer, I do wish their support team was based in the USA for customers from the USA. There tends to be a language barrier when dealing with them.

I've used Dell for more than 20 years, to include three personal laptops. I keep buying them because of the wide array of selection of options, as well as the ease of use. There may be brands that are less expensive, but I believe you get what you pay for, and Dell has been consistently reliable. The customer service is outstanding. Just last month I had an issue with my laptop, which was still under warranty, and it was completely repaired and updated in five days with no charge. As far as I'm concerned, there is no other computer brand that's comparable. I would say that my twenty years' of consistently excellent experience with Dell at home for personal computing and at work speaks for itself. And don't forget that continuing customer service and technical support is outstanding.

I have owned & preferred several Dell computers, which I have enjoyed through the years. This latest one I cannot praise as highly. It is Inspiron 15 and has not held up as well as the others. The touch of the keyboard is soft so you have to really press down hard. Also several keys are loose and some have come off and I keep putting them back on. I would still consider another Dell product but I will ensure that these problems will not occur on my next one.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dell ?

There was a bit of a learning curve getting up to speed with Windows 10 but in the end, once I got used to the quirks, features like the touch screen and ability to convert from a laptop into "tablet mode" won me over. Thin design is nice as well. I purchased a Dell Laptop that also converts to a "tablet" style. The lack of an on-board DVD drive was inconvenient at first (remedied with an additional $25 external drive purchase and download of a DVD PLAYER software that was not resident upon purchase- annoying) and THEN I started to REALLY like this machine. Perhaps the coolest feature was having a laptop with a touchscreen. I'm so used to using a smartphone and other tablets, being able to use this feature on a laptop was amazing. Other brands could benefit from this feature. Certainly, it wouldn't be that expensive to build in... Kudos to Dell for a nice machine!

I've had it several years and never given me a problem. In the past I asked my computer Fix-It guy what brand he would buy if he was buying a laptop now and he said Dell has never given very many problems so that is what I did. The picture is great and I use it all the time just send Netflix to my TV. Also the speed is great even though I don't have the fastest speed from my server. I can't imagine wanting it any faster. If I would choose one thing the speakers are not very loud but it doesn't really matter because I have speakers connected to it so I listen to Pandora all the time with great sound.

Although my Dell Laptop is old and has been worked on multiple times it is still usable. I can't afford a new one though as much as I need one! My 8 year old Dell 15" Inspiron Laptop has been repaired multiple times but that was due to viruses/hackers invaders. The keys are worn out and I have lost a few drives but this old laptop is still usable.

I am in my 3rd week of using my new Dell Inspiron 15 3000 Series. Intel Core I5 processor, 8GB RAM, 1 TB HDD. I bought my laptop from BestBuy.com. It arrived a day or 2 early, great packing, easy setup. Excellent tutorial online to walk you through setup. Did I mention fast response? Wow, very impressive. Easy download and setup of my virus protection, photo editing, iTunes, etc. I love this laptop. This is a great laptop, got it from BB, Cyber Monday Sale, save $150. Runs like a Maserati.

This is my first laptop and love it. I have used other people's laptops and enjoyed them but this one I have beats all. Their customer support is the best and the computer itself is totally user friendly. This is the best computer I have ever had... attractive, user friendly, has lots of RAM and disc space... many features usually only found on large computers.

I love this computer and when I had a problem, it was taken care of immediately. I have a Dell Inspiron 17" laptop (about 3 years). I especially like the feel of the keyboard. In comparison to HP computers, it doesn't overheat and burn out like the three HP computers I have had. Dell offers better service by phone and computer. The only problem I have had is that the adapter/power cord has had to be replace three times. I thought it was because of the design but it could be because I am disabled and not as gentle as I should be. Overall, this is the best computer I have ever purchased.

Never never buy a Dell laptop. Purchased a laptop last year for $650. Warranty expired on Nov 03/2016. Laptop had a minor problem before Nov 03/2016. The problem was when I need to turn on the laptop, I had to hit power button hard for 2 to 3 seconds. So didn't bother to call Dell because I thought it's a minor problem but on Nov 06/2016. Completely stopped working. No power at all. Called Dell customer service. Explained them the problem started during the warranty period. But didn't accept to repair it under warranty. Never expected that the big company like Dell's customers service could be this much worse. Never going to buy Dell laptop again in future.

I have not needed customer support from Dell. I use my local computer guys. At least they speak English! I've had a Dell in the past, and when I needed a new one, I got a rebuilt Latitude. Good price, and I get excellent support from the local store I purchased it.

I have owned varying computer brands, Dell is the only one I have found that is reliable and easily upgraded. Performance is good. Have had few problems with the laptops over the years. I have had problems after MS Windows 10 was forced to replace Windows 7 and Windows 8 on both Dell laptops. One of my laptops was not tested by Dell and is not fully compatible with Windows 10. Lost my WiFi with Windows 10 and Dell has not put out a patch to fix it. I had not had any problems loading and running Linux on the laptops by splitting the hard drive until Windows 10 OS. Each time I tried to split the hard drive and load Linux the computer crashed and I had to reload Windows 10 totally to get it working again. I am still using my old Dell desktop with the Linux OS. It is more reliable at times than the new Dell laptops with Windows 10 OS. The Dell laptops work fine, it is MS Windows 10 that has caused problems with them.

I bought this laptop (new) in good faith. I even thought upgrading the system would be beneficial; but alas it was not. The system is slower than before and should one want to contact Dell for ANY customer support it is next to impossible to talk to someone. When I attempted to find an email address to contact either Dell or Windows it was a total nightmare. One representative I talked to told me "in order to assist you further we will need $200". Totally outrageous, I live month to month on a meager social security check. This money does not go far when you need to see specialty doctors, feed oneself, buy gas for a car, buy medications that are not covered by one's insurance (meaning above Tier 1 or 2) etc. I have Windows 10 also installed. That, unfortunately, was the biggest mistake that I did. because when the company decides an update is in order the entire system is shut down, and on an average takes at least an hour to get it running again.

Windows 10 is constantly installing "new" screen savers, to which I have replied "not a big fan" but yet it remains on the screen. Finally, I have asked "is there a way to have a battery that lasts longer or better yet have a new battery installed?" That request was over (6) six weeks ago and have heard nothing from either Dell or Windows. This computer (laptop) is nothing but a total nightmare. After the most recent "update" there was no icon on how to turn off the computer and the battery was CONSTANTLY in need of recharging. After numerous attempts by myself I figured out what was necessary to turn off the computer. Shouldn't there be a way to preserve the life of the battery that is originally installed. I contacted a computer repair shop and to my shock was told "most laptop computer batteries if you are lucky will diminish over time and once they are worn out (no time element mentioned) one will need to replaced the computer."

I ordered a laptop for my wife as a surprise for Christmas. Before I placed the order, the website said it would be here before Christmas. As soon as I placed the order, the date was changed to after Christmas. Scam! I tried canceling within 12 hours and they said it was already too late to cancel. Scam! Then I told them not to call my home number as I did not want my wife to know, but they called today so now the surprise I was planning is gone. This company has the worst support I have ever experienced. The support people are not well trained and hard to understand. This has been such a huge disappointment.

I have owned Dell computers before and had good experiences. Not this one. Even after a very lengthy reformatting and reloading of everything, which involved many hours on the phone with a lady in India, this computer still does everything slowly, verrrry slooowly. I have paid extra for a 3 year warranty but I can't find anyone at Dell who will admit anything wrong with my machine.

It has Windows 10. This is the worst OS I've owned. On the bottom of the key pad, there is no key to distinguish where to press; this makes it harder to feel and know if you are on the left or right side of the pad. It was less expensive and closest to what I really wanted than the HP I would really loved to have. At the time, this is what I was able to afford.

Like all computer manufacturers they can always do better especially with durability. I know that when Microsoft comes out with a new OS, things tend to get a bit crazy considering all the updates and fixes after release. I own two of the Dell line of computers and they both have been what I expected. I also wish notebooks would automatically have lighted keyboards. It is a real pain to work with one without this especially at night or in a darkened room. Of course they do make them but it seems it is always another option that you have to pay for. They can always do better on price. I keep hearing about VR, but I don't seem to know what is required or it is way too expensive for the average computer user.

I've had Panasonic, Asus, HP etc laptops in my life. First time I bought a Dell laptop computer. Upon opening my brand new computer the key board wasn't working properly so I couldn't even start the computer. I called DELL and they tell me "send it in and we'll fix it". WTH. I said it's brand new, why should I have to get a brand new computer fix. Are you kidding me...

After fighting with them they finally agreed to replace it. I still had issues. Anyway my advice ALWAYS BACK UP, EVERY DAY IF NEEDED. Your hard drive will die after the first year when the warranty runs out and they will not supply/replace the operating system software free of charge even though you paid for it when you bought the computer and their hard drives are cheap in my opinion. If you do not buy the extended warranty come one year and it expires back up the system on a disc or something. I would Open the back after warranty expires, remove the current hard drive and replace it with a better more reliable hard drive. If you can't or don't want to do it take it somewhere to get it done. Or keep backing up until it crashes and it will.

DELL INSTALLS INFERIOR HARD DRIVES AND THAT'S MY OPINION AND THIS HAS BEEN MY EXPERIENCE. They will not supply me with the operating system free of charge and they should since I bought it with the computer. I personally will never buy a DELL or recommend their product. I have had an IBM laptop from 15 years ago, it still works!!! It's slow but no problems. Those were the days. I will look for my receipt and add it in the near future. I am now researching for another laptop as the Dell computer I have that's less than 2 years old will only be for internet research. I don't know what will happen next with the inferior product. OH and dealing with India is not fun either. God forbid you get to speak to an American because you are in America.

Dell Inspiron 11. I have a problem with the number keys 1-2-3-4 not working. All the other keys seem to work fine so far. I even had a tech guy check it out and he thought that it might be software issues, which didn't make sense to me at all. I have no clue as to how to fix it. This is the first Dell computer that I have owned and I am seriously thinking the last after seeing these reviews. If anyone has an idea as to how to fix this I would greatly appreciate it.

I have bought two laptops through Dell over the last four years. And have loved using my Dell preferred account. On December 10th I ordered a Nintendo 3DS and two games for my son. I kept checking my email to find a ship date, to no avail. So, I called... I was informed that the console was out of stock (though estimated delivery date was set for 12/21 at the latest).

Frustrated, I requested to cancel. They, of course, transferred me to the "resolution" dept, where I simmered on hold for an additional twenty minutes. I got through and requested the cancellation (which by the way... was charged to my account though they did not even have the product). I told to cancel the whole order but they told me the games have been shipped... Funny! Because I never received that email either! BUYER BEWARE!!! This company has gone down the toilet! Typical outsourcing, runaround rhetoric... no respect for the consumer. Take your money elsewhere. GARBAGE COMPANY.

Best performance I've had. I've had quite a lot of computers and my share of problems in the past. My last was an GO which I trusted because I liked the printer. I had it just a couple years and then it would not turn on. My helpful computer guy said he's seen this problem with this before and could not fix it. Seeing that he did not sell computers, I asked which one to buy. He unhesitantly said he sees the least trouble with Dell brand. So my next laptop was a Dell. It's been about 3 years now and I've never had a problem. The display is great. I listen to music with my added 2 very small speakers and it's a better sound than my stand alone player. I project movies perfectly to TV screen and only have the basic internet plan.

Used Dell for decades. Great products and service. Shocked to find I purchased new laptop with 30 year old Ethernet adapter technology of 10/100 MB. No information on box, in specs, at store, on website telling consumer that Dell sells such antique and obsolete technology in a new product. Shame on Dell. Used to be my go to vendor. I just assumed it would have a standard 1 Gig Ethernet adapter. I have 300MB connection at home and 1 Gig Internet connection and network at office.

This laptop has been a very good one. I have had two Dell laptops and both gave me no trouble to speak of. One was 15" and my second one was 17". I gave my old one to my daughter and it is still working.

As a Texan, I am reminded of what a great product Dell computers were in the past. I had friends who were proud to work there and convinced us all to buy a Dell. Those days are long gone. Family admired my system... Elders wanted one because of the backlit keyboard. We thought we had found something worthy of purchase. But after spending close to $800 a year ago for a horrible system it is clear that our family's buying experience with this company is done.

My power button on the system has never worked consistently. And I cannot understand why NO ONE can assist me with how to have my Inspiron 14 5000 repaired other than ship it off to India. This is the second time in less than a year that I have had a problem with my system. I could have spent half the money of a refurbished HP and had a better experience than with Dell.

I've tried to call corporate in Austin just to speak with Consumer Affairs but cannot get anyone on the line. Sorry. Anyone in the US to direct me to options available to repair my system. But, I have been told six times that I need to return the system in its box and it will be repaired for $75.00. When asked if I can purchase the component or even the motherboard I've been "accidentally disconnected" or told I would receive a call back within the hour. After 11 calls, I give up. You win. You got my money and that's that. It's obvious Dell doesn't care about its customers. Both product quality or customer service define the Dell brand and its entities. I would like to return the system for a full refund or replacement. I would like to speak to someone in this country as it is not a simple call center issue. I've never had this issue with HP. Ever.

Had 1 problem and it was quickly resolved by technical support within a very short time, maybe 30 minutes. Quick service and very professional. Needed to reinstall the Operating System due to an update problem not caused by Dell but by Microsoft. Dell deftly handled the problem and fixed it and followed up by overnighting a USB Drive which contained the Windows 10 O/S in case there were ever additional problems. I do not know what anyone could have done to be more responsive to fix a problem they did not create.

Purchased an Inspiron Laptop computer from Dell in August 2016 and added Premium support to ensure problems would be resolved if they were to occur. As of November 2016 the Inspiron laptop is no longer functional. Worked with premium support first over the phone. Problem not resolved. Worked with on-site technician. Problem not resolved. Shipped unit to depot level repair, unit returned with problem not resolved. At this stage I consider this laptop to be a defective product. Premium support does not agree, their scripts call for denial of responsibility. What equates to a Dell laptop purchased from Dell and just 90 days out of the box no longer functional and Dell's premium support arm unable to resolve the problem and the attitude is that the problem is not with the product or the services.

Meanwhile the purchased product sits idle, customer denied use of product that was purchased new from the vendor. A consumer has the right to expect the product purchased to provide the services the product is designed to provide. Dell has positioned itself to operate under the banner of buyer beware. Dell's position is that if their product does not fail within 45 days of purchase then any problems after the 45 day window is not Dell's problem. I purchased an new machine with the expectation that for the money paid it would serve my needs for a period of time that goes beyond 90 days.

These are not random problems given the nature of the computer industry today with layer upon layer of quality assurance. This inconsistency of product is a reflection of decisions to push back on costs of producing the product knowing that Dell's warranty clause places the burden on the consumer. A shortsighted business decision from a company that in the past stood behind its products. Buyer beware.

There are so many little problems that creep up with Dell. My Apple tablet has only given me one problem in a year and it ended up being my fault. My Dell laptop and pc have frozen numerous times and 2-3 times task manager was not helpful. The mouse on my laptop freezes - I'm told there is nothing wrong. Phone calls to Dell are extremely frustrating. We get a technician that is not even in America and cannot understand them nor they us. Won't be buying another Dell.

Last time I will buy a Dell computer. I have owned 7 Dell computers over the years. Purchased a Dell desktop from Sam's club in May 2016 with Windows 10 already install. I purchased this as a package deal. I got the computer and Windows 10 already installed. Turn it on the other day and got blue screen with code Critical process died. Called Dell and ran a diagnostic test and it's not the computer but the windows 10 software.

In the past I received a windows software disk with every purchase to reload in case it crashed. Now they don't give you a disk automatically. Dell says the warranty doesn't include software issues. They said I had to buy a disk. Wrong unethical company. I should not have to pay one cent more since I bought this as a package deal. I essentially already purchased the rights to use this software. Now they want more money. If I buy a car and the alternator goes bad under warranty they will replace the alternator. Alternator was made by another company. They will still back up the broken part. Dell won't back up the software I already purchased. I can't use the computer without the software as well as I can't use the car without the alternator. I will say to the hell with both Microsoft and Dell.

Compare Computer Brands