3.9/5 (1398 ratings)

About Dell Laptops

Dell was founded in the early 1980s and was a pioneer in the home computer and technology industry. It has been a leader in high-tech computers, monitors, workstations, tablets, printers and laptops for decades.

Pros

• High-end features available
  • Multiple price points
  • Wide range of models

Cons

• Heavier than some other laptops
  • Budget laptops can break easily

Bottom Line

Dell is a worldwide leader in computers, monitors, systems, laptops, printers and innovative technology. It offers a wide range of stylish laptops perfect for school, home and business.

Top Dell Laptops Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I have had Dell forever. They are very sturdy and you can trust them. My kids dropped them several times and they keep working. For college students they are a plus because come i...

Verified

This has been a very good laptop. Good battery life, and great features. I would buy one again. I went from a desktop computer to this laptop, and never looked back. this is a lap...

What is Dell?

Dell offers laptops for work and home, and its products include features that are important to students, fast-paced professionals and entrepreneurs. Some of the most popular laptops are:

• Dell XPS 13: This 2.8-pound laptop has an extended battery life and an attractive and sleek exterior frame. The screen is close to borderless, which adds flair to the design. It has a large screen, comfortable keyboard and 10th-generation Intel Core i7 processor
  • Dell XPS 15: This 4.5-pound laptop has an industrial design and high-level graphics performance. The keys and touchpad are larger than most other models, and it has a four-border InfinityEdge bezel on the screen.
  • Dell Inspiron 15 3000: This 4.96-pound laptop can replace many people’s desktop computers. It’s bulkier and heavier than some other laptops, but it offers a strong build, 6 GB of memory and an eight-hour battery. For the price (around $329), it is a solid laptop with basic features and a sleek design
  • Alienware M17: This 5.8-pound laptop is great for gaming because it features a ninth-generation Intel Core processor and DDR4 RAM. It comes in a variety of configurations that meet the needs of the serious gamer. While the battery life only lasts an average of 2½ hours for moderate gaming use, the slim design, dark colors and high-resolution display are added perks. This gaming computer starts at $1,349.99, and customized laptops can cost up to $4,229.99

How do Dell laptops work?

Dell laptops range from budget desktop replacement computers to sleek and innovative gaming PCs. Dell’s expansive line of computers lets you pick and choose the features that are important to you.

• Memory: Dell laptops come with many different memory options, ranging from 4 GB of RAM to 64 GB.
  • Storage: Storage drive sizes range from 500 GB to 2 TB and up.
  • Operating system: Dell laptops come with four different operating system options: Windows 10, Linux Ubuntu, Chrome and Chrome Enterprise Upgrade.
  • Display: Screen sizes range from 11 inches to 17 inches. There are touch screen and non-touch screen options. You can also choose the display resolution that works best for your eyes, ranging from HD and HD+ to Full HD, Full HD+, 4K and UHD+.
  • Processor: Dell laptops use seventh generation Intel Core to 10th generation Intel Core processors.
  • Life span: The average life span of a Dell laptop is three to five years.

Dell laptops prices

Dell laptops offer innovative, streamlined computers made for work, personal use and school. The most budget-friendly Dell laptops average around $350 to $400, while premium models, such as the Dell Alienware M15, can retail for over $2,000.

Consumers who want the style and functionality of a Dell laptop without paying retail prices can purchase refurbished laptops, desktops, monitors and servers at the online Dell Outlet. These refurbished laptops are 15% less than new computers and have the same impressive specs.

Dell also offers a price-match guarantee. If you find a lower-priced (and similarly configured) computer, tablet or monitor advertised online, Dell matches the price. It doesn't matter if it is from Dell, HP, Lenovo or Apple — Dell will match it.

Here are some of the most popular Dell laptops and the average cost at the time of publishing:

ModelPrice
Dell XPS 13$1,149
Dell XPS 15$1,299
Dell Inspiron 15 3000$229
Dell Precision 5750 Mobile Workstation$1,879
Alienware M17$1,599

Dell laptops FAQ

Where are Dell laptops made?
Dell computers are made in factories all across the world, including Ireland, Brazil, China, Malaysia and the U.S.
Are Dell laptops good for gaming?
Dell has specific laptops that are geared toward gamers. Dell computers aren’t specifically gaming computers, but its Alienware brand is a popular choice for gamers looking for power and speed.
Do Dell laptops come with Microsoft Office?
Yes. Most Dell laptops are equipped with a basic version of Office named Starter and can be upgraded to a more advanced version of Microsoft Office.
Are Dell laptops reliable?
Yes. Dell laptops are reliable, made of high-quality materials and have long battery life. They’ve been a trusted tool for students, business owners, bloggers and entrepreneurs for decades.

Are Dell laptops good?

Yes. Dell laptops are high-quality computers with strong batteries, sleek designs, high-end internal hardware and a variety of extras that make them a convenient tool for work or business. Dell laptops are sleek and portable, and there are many models to choose from to suit your needs and budget.

Dell Laptops Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dell Laptops?

Original review: April 28, 2022

Please warn your viewers/readers away from Dell Inspiron 2in1 Laptops. I purchased a 7706 model six months ago. This is a very pricey model with an 11th Gen i7-1165G7 at 2.8 GHz processor, 32GB Ram, 2TB Solid State Hard Drive. So needless to say I purchased what I thought was a high performance laptop that would be my primary computer for personal and some business requirements. The keyboard and touchpad can be unresponsive at times, especially the return key. It takes an unacceptably long time to buffer an online and start with continued pauses for buffering while watching. My wi-fi is 400Mps so there should be no reason for this.

The worst issue is the totally unacceptable battery life. When new the battery only lasted about four hours, now six month later it only lasts three. According to the Windows 10 battery report the battery is already only charging at 72% of its original capacity. When I called Dell technical support I was told that the battery was only designed to last 3 - 4 hours and if I want a larger capacity battery they would have Dell sales call and help me find a larger battery that I would need to purchase myself. WHAT KIND OF IDIOT DESIGNS A "PORTABLE" COMPUTER THAT NEEDS TO BE PLUGGED IN EVERY THREE HOURS??? Dell did not follow up with the promised call and when I looked on the Dell website there are no additional battery options for this model computer.

In short:
- Dell designed a computer unacceptable for real world conditions.
- Dell doesn't follow up and support said computers.

- Dell used to be my go to for personal and business solutions, both computers and servers. I will be pursuing HP or other solutions in the future based on losing confidence in Dell's hardware and support.

Gotta go, my battery is running low again...

Original review: April 25, 2022

I can not express how disappointed I am in Dell. I have purchased at least 6 laptops multiple monitors and accessories. The last two laptops I purchased (within the last year) are both having issues. I paid $1600 for one and they are only offering me $200 towards a replacement. I will never purchase another Dell product.

Get buying tips about Computer Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 8, 2022

I ordered my Dell Laptop at the end of July last year (2021). I decided to buy Dell because I believed their products were good quality and lasted. 8 months later I hear a creaking from my laptop and when I moved the scene there was a cracking sound and the hinge cracked and broke away from the base. There is now also a gap between the outer case and the screen. Naturally, I contacted Dell Technical Support. They advised the hinge is NOT covered by the warranty and this is classed as accidental damage or wear and tear.

I have not dropped the laptop nor do I carry it about as a laptop is designed to do. The lid gets opened in the morning and closed at night. When I advised this was not accidental damage but unsatisfactory quality of the item as a hinge should not shatter in 8 months. They sent me a quote to repair the machine for almost £300. I asked for the name and address of the Customer Services Manager in the UK who I could take this issue up with and I was told they couldn't give me a number. Instead, I was given the standard Customer Care Number.

This was the most expensive laptop I have bought and I have never had one break like this, let alone in 8 months. I have since found tons of complaints on the internet about this problem with Dell laptops. As a retired person on a fixed income, this is a major blow. I am disgusted with Dell. How they can sell a product that falls apart in 8 months and not give a damn shocks me. I will never buy Dell again and will be telling everyone I can not to do so either.

Original review: March 30, 2022

If planning to purchase this laptop expect to spend over two hours on the phone with Dell to find someone that can order the parts needed to add the second drive. The parts manufacturing cost is around 45 cents and they charge around $35 for them. Their only response to any complaints is to get a refund. You can purchase the components from other vendors around the same price however I suggest you buy from a completely different vendor.

Original review: March 29, 2022

Dell has the worst customer service, strictest out-of-date policies, and most **-backwards approaches. I purchased a Dell Inspiron 16 Laptop in August 2021 and am still dealing with factory defects going into April 2022. The technical team claimed to have repaired my laptop and resolved the issue without my consent -- they're dragging the issue on until my warranty expires, which is despicable. Dell needs to be held accountable for their defective products. This is honestly stealing from consumers if they're unwilling to pay for their faults.

Original review: March 19, 2022

Bought many computers over the years, but Dell stands out for quality and longevity. Soon I will buy their Poweredge server, but will wait for the Black Monday discount. All other computers I bought had problems, but Dell is a solid bet.

Original review: March 10, 2022

For Christmas I bought my husband a Dell laptop. We set it up and discovered that the motherboard was faulty so I arranged to return it to Dell for repair. The part has been on backorder for over a month. I spoke to Dell Support and requested a replacement laptop. I have had to call them 3 times spending over an hour and a half total in the past week. Twice they said they would send an email confirming a resolution. That did not happen. I was told today I MAY be issued a new laptop within the next 3 weeks. They will email me and let me know within 7 to 10 days. Dell tech service is outsourced to India or Pakistan so is somewhat difficult to understand clearly. I will not buy another Dell product. I paid cash for the computer. They didn't have to wait for their money. Their customer service is terrible. There is no way to talk to anyone in Corporate. I was told "They don't talk to customers". BE WARY OF BUYING DELL PRODUCTS.

Original review: March 7, 2022

I have spent over a year, fooling with this expensive piece of junk. Microsoft that is involved with it has created a monster. Microsoft ask your information that is completely insane, when you're trying to get a password it tells you to go to the exact email to get the password. It is constantly requesting a new password, over and over. One password for the same account you use should work on all the computers that you use to access the sites. It doesn't get better, then it creates different accounts to achieve the same process. It has been a nightmare, frustrating and disgusting to think of the money I spent and the amount of time I have wasted. I use a computer at my school and have no problems, so I am not totally illiterate with computers.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2022

I purchased this laptop for my husband for Christmas. From day one the computer has had problems. It takes about 20 minutes for the computer to turn on, and once it finally does every application we try to use takes forever. We have not been able to use the laptop at all because of how unbelievable slow it is. At one point the screen went black, and it would not turn back on for two days. I have spoken to over a dozen Dell employees and no one can fix the problem. We even had the computer sent in to be fixed, and it came back with the same issues. Dell customer service has been awful during the process of trying to get this laptop fixed. I have had multiple people hang up on me because they can’t explain the problem, and seem embarrassed by the fact that we have such a terrible laptop.

We have been working on getting the laptop fixed for over a year, and now the warranty is up. Dell has told me I need to renew my warranty if I would like them to continue working with us to solve the issue. After a year of dealing with this problem, and Dells inability to fix it I refuse to pay the warranty. I will not give Dell more money to continue on this repetitive loop of incompetence and inability to get things fixed. At this point I would like my money back so we can get a laptop that works, and work with a company that respects their customers.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2022

In two months the system crashed (blue screen) twice while using Dell's update tool. System got buggy after using Dell's recovery tool. Asked for help from support. It took Dell 3 days to contact me in the specified time window and the answer was that I would have to pay $129 for personalized support to fix an issue that Dell software created in a brand new computer.

Dell Laptops Company Information