Learn More
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.00/5

Dell was founded in the early 1980s and was a pioneer in the home computer and technology industry. It has been a leader in high-tech computers, monitors, workstations, tablets, printers and laptops for decades.

BOTTOM LINE

Dell is a worldwide leader in computers, monitors, systems, laptops, printers and innovative technology. It offers a wide range of stylish laptops perfect for school, home and business.

PROS

• High-end features available
  • Multiple price points
  • Wide range of models

CONS

• Heavier than some other laptops
  • Budget laptops can break easily

Top Dell Laptops Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dell Laptops?

I have had Dell forever. They are very sturdy and you can trust them. My kids dropped them several times and they keep working. For college students they are a plus because come in many different formats. Very good job Dell. You have here a well satisfied customer. Thanks.

This has been a very good laptop. Good battery life, and great features. I would buy one again. I went from a desktop computer to this laptop, and never looked back. this is a laptop with many features that most computers do not have.

Dell Laptops Learn More

What is Dell?

Dell offers laptops for work and home, and its products include features that are important to students, fast-paced professionals and entrepreneurs. Some of the most popular laptops are:

• Dell XPS 13: This 2.8-pound laptop has an extended battery life and an attractive and sleek exterior frame. The screen is close to borderless, which adds flair to the design. It has a large screen, comfortable keyboard and 10th-generation Intel Core i7 processor
    • Dell XPS 15: This 4.5-pound laptop has an industrial design and high-level graphics performance. The keys and touchpad are larger than most other models, and it has a four-border InfinityEdge bezel on the screen.
    • Dell Inspiron 15 3000: This 4.96-pound laptop can replace many people’s desktop computers. It’s bulkier and heavier than some other laptops, but it offers a strong build, 6 GB of memory and an eight-hour battery. For the price (around $329), it is a solid laptop with basic features and a sleek design
    • Alienware M17: This 5.8-pound laptop is great for gaming because it features a ninth-generation Intel Core processor and DDR4 RAM. It comes in a variety of configurations that meet the needs of the serious gamer. While the battery life only lasts an average of 2½ hours for moderate gaming use, the slim design, dark colors and high-resolution display are added perks. This gaming computer starts at $1,349.99, and customized laptops can cost up to $4,229.99

How do Dell laptops work?

Dell laptops range from budget desktop replacement computers to sleek and innovative gaming PCs. Dell’s expansive line of computers lets you pick and choose the features that are important to you.

• Memory: Dell laptops come with many different memory options, ranging from 4 GB of RAM to 64 GB.
    • Storage: Storage drive sizes range from 500 GB to 2 TB and up.
    • Operating system: Dell laptops come with four different operating system options: Windows 10, Linux Ubuntu, Chrome and Chrome Enterprise Upgrade.
    • Display: Screen sizes range from 11 inches to 17 inches. There are touch screen and non-touch screen options. You can also choose the display resolution that works best for your eyes, ranging from HD and HD+ to Full HD, Full HD+, 4K and UHD+.
    • Processor: Dell laptops use seventh generation Intel Core to 10th generation Intel Core processors.
    • Life span: The average life span of a Dell laptop is three to five years.

Dell laptops prices

Dell laptops offer innovative, streamlined computers made for work, personal use and school. The most budget-friendly Dell laptops average around $350 to $400, while premium models, such as the Dell Alienware M15, can retail for over $2,000.

Consumers who want the style and functionality of a Dell laptop without paying retail prices can purchase refurbished laptops, desktops, monitors and servers at the online Dell Outlet. These refurbished laptops are 15% less than new computers and have the same impressive specs.

Dell also offers a price-match guarantee. If you find a lower-priced (and similarly configured) computer, tablet or monitor advertised online, Dell matches the price. It doesn't matter if it is from Dell, HP, Lenovo or Apple — Dell will match it.

Here are some of the most popular Dell laptops and the average cost at the time of publishing:

ModelPrice
    Dell XPS 13$1,149
    Dell XPS 15$1,299
    Dell Inspiron 15 3000$229
    Dell Precision 5750 Mobile Workstation$1,879
    Alienware M17$1,599

Dell laptops FAQ

Where are Dell laptops made?
    Dell computers are made in factories all across the world, including Ireland, Brazil, China, Malaysia and the U.S.
    Are Dell laptops good for gaming?
    Dell has specific laptops that are geared toward gamers. Dell computers aren’t specifically gaming computers, but its Alienware brand is a popular choice for gamers looking for power and speed.
    Do Dell laptops come with Microsoft Office?
    Yes. Most Dell laptops are equipped with a basic version of Office named Starter and can be upgraded to a more advanced version of Microsoft Office.
    Are Dell laptops reliable?
    Yes. Dell laptops are reliable, made of high-quality materials and have long battery life. They’ve been a trusted tool for students, business owners, bloggers and entrepreneurs for decades.

Are Dell laptops good?

Yes. Dell laptops are high-quality computers with strong batteries, sleek designs, high-end internal hardware and a variety of extras that make them a convenient tool for work or business. Dell laptops are sleek and portable, and there are many models to choose from to suit your needs and budget.

Dell Laptops Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dell Laptops?

Original review: June 15, 2020

I bought a new all in one Dell for myself that I basically use as a desktop but it is also able to be used as a laptop on battery power. It is touch screen and saves a lot of room! My husband bought a refurbished dell desktop and he loves it. Very fast and reliable. I have literally messed up so many computers prior to getting a dell that we ended up trashing them and buying another one that might last a year or two. My dell is over 5 years old now and my husbands is over 4 years old. Both are going strong and we are now dedicated 'dell' fans!

Original review: June 12, 2020

My Dell computers are reliable, and the support is excellent. Whenever I have had a problem, Dell support has had a solution even at odd hours. The website is easy to use and if you are looking for a specific item you can find it quickly. The sales department is friendly and helpful as well. Dell offers a wide variety of products in addition to just laptop computers. I have two Dell laptops and have had very few problems. The also have a diagnostic you can run to improve performance and check for updates. These are very good computers.

Get buying tips about Computer Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 10, 2020

Dell computers are reasonably priced, especially from 3rd party sellers such as Costco, where I got my XPS 8700 for $350 less than on Dell site (the savings would also pay for nearly 6 years of future Costco membership renewals!). When these gets older & needs repair, parts are readily available on eBay at very low prices, as are upgrades to the CPU, GPU, etc. Although today with laptops, all OEM's usually has the CPU & one stick of RAM soldered in place, if not all. Still one can upgrade their mini tower PC with ease. Have purchased several business or enterprise computers with physical TPM for securing drives for 5% or less of original price (last one was $105 for an over $3,000 as shipped 5 year old Optiplex PC).

Original review: June 9, 2020

I have used Dell laptops for years and built my own desktops. I have found Dell laptops to be very reliable, easy to use, great features and reasonably priced. They are also easy to upgrade. There are several online vendors which specialize in Dell upgrades and repair parts. The best deals on Dell laptops and tablets is to purchase from a quality aftermarket dealer of Dell computers. I have purchased many of my Dell laptops from **. I have never had a problem from this vendor and they offer a one year warranty on the Dell products they sell.

Original review: June 6, 2020

I was a HP diehard user until about 5 years ago when I received my first Dell I have been in love ever since. They run well have excellent customer service and stand behind their warranty. I use one for my business and one for every day games and life I can't begin to sing the praises of how well they work. Lots of memory and storage even for the less expensive ones. You can't go wrong owning a Dell. Easy to set up right out the box. Dell makes sure you keep it updated. And if for some chance you have trouble just call for a customer service rep to happily walk you through your problem.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2020

NEVER EVER BUY A DELL! I sent my computer in for a broken screen on October 16th, received Oct 26th, part in and repaired Oct 29th. On Nov 2nd I was informed it had a BitLocker issue from the repair but was otherwise finished and I gave permission to return it as is. Nov 16th I called having not received it, promised a call back in 24-48 hours.

Nov 19th I call having not received a callback and again promised a call in 24-48 hours. Nov 24th I call back having not received a callback and am given a different phone number to call after they try telling me to wait another 24-48 hours. Nov 25th I call and am told there is an internal issue since early Nov and no systems can be worked on and everything is frozen in place and they have no clue when my computer will be available to ship out! This is the laptop I need for my kids for school. This is not a COVID issue either as the computer has already been repaired. Thankfully I was already in the market for two new laptops so I bought an Acer this time and if it is equal to the reviews we’ll get the second one next week. Never ever will I buy another Dell for our office employees or our home. I still have no clue if or when I will receive my laptop back.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2020

Bought the XPS 15 two years ago. In May 2020 my battery died. Call support they recommended 94 WHR battery. It arrived and it was way too long for my laptop. Well third time around they sold me a compatible battery. Arrived 11.19.2020. (Yes that service tag does not tell them the battery kind.) I replaced the battery and now it’s saying to bootable code. Removed it and replaced it again. Now I have a blue screen that says I need a USB to configure the operating data.

Call Dell and they told me my warranty expired and I need to pay them $100 to diagnose. I told the rep I already did the diagnosis and the machine passed everything. But it’s suggesting a USB to reprogram in which he responded I need to pay $100 they will fix it. Then they can sell me an extended warranty after they fix the issue that can go up to 4yrs. They can’t just sell me an extended warranty to fix the issue. And they no longer send USBs to customers with machines as they would rather have them do it themselves. If was made aware of all these rule or better yet tell me that my warranty had expired. I would have handled it differently. I feel like am being conned.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2020

It has not even been two years and the motherboard has died twice now. First motherbaord died after 8 months and the second one has just died about 8 months later. I do not recommended this product for the price. I am not a heavy gamer and the laptop had never left the house. It barely ever leaves the desk. Hope this helps someone.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2020

Bought my Inspiron 17 3000 series laptop last November. Was told it would contain Word and Excel with a $100 discount. When I set up the laptop, I was given the message I had to purchase the programs. I filed a dispute with American Express. Dell replied on a totally unrelated matter about shipping. Amex gave me a courtesy credit. These people are crooks, and manufacture a substandard product that is not enjoyable to use i.e. lousy keyboards. Dishonesty is intolerable.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2020

Dell sucks and a rip off, I bought a new laptop a month and a half ago and cannot use it for what I needed it for especially with the dupe software that’s NOT the previous version of Microsoft Office 365. You can’t even use any of the software bundle for anything, plus one of the external hard drives I bought had a defective cord and the sales rep refused to help me replace it!! I paid close to $900 for a laptop that is probably for gaming only!! I can’t even use my printer with it and you cannot change the paper layout to the size you need it for letter or legal size. I’ll never buy another laptop or anything else from Dell again and ironically I’ve been a customer since 2003 but never again!!!

Dell Laptops Company Information