3.01/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Last updated: April 6, 2018

1120 Dell Laptops Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 6, 2018

I just wonder why the DELL sale personnel insisted that I have to apply for the Dell Financial Services (DPA) in order for me to purchase the laptop. I didn't see any good for me to be the DPA holder. It took me more than an hours to make calls to go online just to deal with the registration. If I buy directly from Costco or Best Buy, what I need to do is to pay and go. I am very unhappy with this experience. It wasted me a lot of time.

Original review: March 27, 2018

I used to refer to myself as a "lifelong Dell user". That changed after my most recent, and hopefully last, experience with Dell "customer service". $2200 laptop does not work. I call Dell for a replacement, as I need a working computer. They will not send a replacement instead insisting that I have a tech come out to fix the laptop. I did not want this option, but they said the only other option was to wait 10-12 days for a new laptop. I no longer trust this laptop, but go through with the service, figuring it is better than waiting even longer.

So, to get the laptop I paid for to work, I have to take a day off of work. Tech called me at 10:30 am to confirm he is on his way. At 12:30 he calls me back and says he was called just after confirming my appointment, and told to go to a "more urgent" customer. If that alone does not give you the ultimate insight into what YOU as a customer mean to Dell, reread it. After appearing to function, less than 24 hours later the laptop crashed, again, and now has the same "Windows cannot install." Restart to install "Windows cannot install" cycle. I emailed the agent who made the appointment asking for a returned call. He never called.

A customer service manager called me after that. I am not sure why they called, as they did, and have done nothing to offer any service. This experience made me understand the Dell way. The customer is not a priority. I wanted Dell to make an effort to fix this. EFFORT, was what I wanted. Not a free laptop, not an extended warranty. Effort. Doing the job you were hired to do, as getting a working product in a timely manner was too much of an issue. A vacation day = wasted. Out $2200. Laptop that is supposed to replace this one ETA 6-8 more business days out. I will never buy another Dell, or use any of their products willingly. I am already petitioning the company I work with to switch laptop brands. Customer service, that is funny.

Get expert buying tips about Computer Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 26, 2018

It's an ok unit. Next time I will upgrade to a unit more suitable to my needs. This is a decent unit but hopefully for the money there are better units out there today.

Original review: March 25, 2018

I have been using Dell desktops and laptops for 20 years and overall have had great service. When one of my desktops blew a hard drive they were right there to replace it and then followed up with a telephone service call.

Original review: March 23, 2018

I love Dell products. Good brand name as well. My laptop is purple. You could get it is multiple colors. I love the keys. They're not too close together and they fit my fingertips. Overall it's just a reliable and dependable company. Customer service is great. I have no problem with the items that I purchased from this company and I will continue to purchase more and give good referrals to my friends. They are concerned about us and give us great merchandise. Keep up the good work Dell. Proud of you. Customer for life. God bless you forever.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dell?

Original review: March 21, 2018

I purchased 2 Dell Inspiron 15 5000 series laptops from Walmart 2 years ago, before that 2 years was up I experienced the same issue with both laptops. One day I put them on and received 7 beeps, and AC power adapter wattage and type cannot be determined but yet it is the adapter that came with both systems, I tried everything the internet indicated might work and eveything the techs from Dell while they were still under warranty indicated I do, ended up sending the laptops back to Dell. They came back working for a few months and after that back to doing the same thing again, 1 stop even allowing me to use the keypad and mouse to do anything on them.

I have always took pride in ordering Dell computers and I still have one that is a much older model than the 2 Inspiron 15 5000 series that still works, the most I have had to do with that on is reload the operating system. If anyone has had these same issue with their Dell Inspiron 15 5000 series can you tell me what can be done now that my warranty has expired. I am very disappointed that I have spent over $1000, for 2 laptops that now my College and high school students are not able to use anymore. Does anyone have any information where I can complain to Dell directly.

Original review: March 20, 2018

It works ok but sometimes it tends to freeze if I go too fast. The sound is not good. Sometimes crackling and most of the time too low. I bought this computer used online from Best Buy and would NEVER do that again.

Original review: March 19, 2018

The Dell I purchased was economical and easy to use. I would recommend it for new laptop users and college students. Dell's customer service is great as well.

Original review: March 18, 2018

I have had very few interactions with Dell since purchase, but the company has been responsive to my questions and helpful with all problems/questions that arose, so I would say my experience has been good/productive.

Original review: March 16, 2018

Second time I have had to have my XPS laptop repaired, (needed new motherboard) in 2 months for a one year old computer. Each time multiple delays, taking 3 1/2 weeks for repair. Call center in India does not know what is happening in Austin and vice versa. Call center persons apologize repeatedly and say there is nothing they can do. Very unsatisfactory experience. My last Dell after buying Dell for 25 years.

Original review: March 13, 2018

I have a Dell Inspiron 11 and have a real problem with sticky keys on left side of keyboard. Microsoft claims it is Dell problem??? Otherwise I like the PS/2 function.

Original review: March 12, 2018

I have an older Dell laptop that is still working. It has outlived my expectations. I plan to get it some more memory as Windows 10 seems to stress it. If that works, it may last a few years more.

Original review: March 11, 2018

My first Dell died on me in the middle of an online class. The screen went black and there was nothing. I took it to Staples and they said the motherboard crashed and suggested a new computer. Not believing them I took it to a private business and they said the same thing. Now this computer was just under a year and a half. I was never going to buy another Dell. I bought an HP and almost to the end of another online class approximately 4 years later and that computer just became too slow and my grandkids use it now. I was looking for another computer and a friend gave me a new Dell for my birthday. It is a laptop, very sluggish, and hard to get around in. I will have had it a year soon. So I do not recommend them.

Original review: March 5, 2018

I bought this XPS15 laptop recently. The performance is plain horrible! The computer is slower than what it should be and keeps grinding away even for mundane tasks with MSWord etc. Feels like 1990s with a Pentium chip computer. I thought the computer industry had evolved a bit. The last straw was when it recognized a new mouse (because the Dell bluetooth mouse is very fickle minded) and then decided to stop recognizing it...feels like being back in the days when you had a hard time making the tape storage recognize the motherboard! Wow!! I will never buy a Dell product again!! ($2,417 down the drain)... Oh, and the microphone is not detected either... I just placed an order for a new laptop from a different manufacturer and can't wait for it to come...5 days countdown for when it is coming.

Original review: March 2, 2018

I have been a devout Dell customer until recently. I received the Dell Inspiron 15 as a Christmas present in 2015, and have had nothing but problems with it. It takes a whole day just to upgrade Windows. I have to wait 20-30 minutes just to get into an app. I’ve tried erasing everything and restoring it back to the factory settings several times and still experience the same problems. It’s a piece of junk encased in a fancy black box! I’ve contacted Dell support and speak with people who can’t understand you and you can’t understand them, so there’s a breakdown with language barriers. They argue with you even when you have extended warranty. It was like my fiancé took a stack of money and set it afire because not only is it a disappointment but I’m convinced any Dell Product is a rip-off. I will never purchase anything from Dell again!

Original review: Feb. 28, 2018

DO NOT BUY DELL LAPTOP... I've recently bought Dell Inspiron 13" laptop in November with almost 700 bucks and I had many issues with it. When I called customer service 1st time they asked me to dispatch to repair center with some hardware issues and they returned it to me with new software issues. Again I called them but they couldn't resolve my problem and they took more than 2 hours time on call and still this system bugging me. I seriously not recommend this product and I'm not gonna buy any Dell products. I really pissed off and need my money back. Or else I really want to proceed legally as it's all their problem and not mine at all. I just hate Dell.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2018 I purchased a new Dell Latitude two years ago. Almost immediately the touchpad was defective and replaced. It needed to be replaced again a couple of months later. Then the motherboard was replaced. Then the computer smelled like burnt wiring and stopped. Dell sent a replacement computer. It did not have Office Pro 10 on it as I had purchased. They would not believe it didn't have Office on it. When I finally convinced them they sent me a link to load it. It would not load.

Then they sent another new computer. This one needed the keyboard replaced then the bottom panel. Screws kept falling out so they replaced the top panel. Now it needs a new hard drive. We requested they send the media for installation. Dell said they sent it on Feb 17. Tech is coming to put in the new hard drive but they have received no media.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2018

Dell Inspiron 3252 crashed during BIOS update initiated by Dell. Dell Support would not repair without fee since no longer under 1 year warranty even though Dell caused the problem (purchased less than 2 years ago). A local computer repair service advised a new motherboard and CPU is required. My computer was destroyed by Dell initiated update which apparently is a known issue, but Dell refuses to take responsibility.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

Purchased a Dell XPS13 on 8-5-2017 for my daughter in college. Paid 2068.65 for everything and purchased directly from Dell. To date, the computer's motherboard has been replaced and I am shipping it back to Dell because the monitor no longer works. Total disappointment in the product and Dell Technical support. When talking to the technician on 2-20-18, a shipping label should have been sent via email and it was not. Called today for a shipping label and was told it would take 1-2 days for a new label. Really? What a joke.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

I've had the paperweight for a year. From day one there were issues. The laptop defaults to tablet mode which makes the mouse jump and click all over the screen. - There is no way to regain control aside from a reboot, praying that I have control of the mouse long enough to disable tablet mode. Windows and Dell updates are constant, and there is no way to deactivate the updates. I have shut down wifi, set the connection to metered, attempted to disable the services to no avail. The problem with the updates is that they change my settings and I have to deal with the mouse issue.

Dell is of no use - their support is terrible. They slave out their support to India and I cannot understand what they are saying and if you ask for somebody with less of an accent they hang up on you. I have requested this as politely as possible. I have a hearing problem so the phone is difficult, and the voice to text cannot understand what they are saying enough to type it out to where it makes sense - it's a literal jumble of words.

After the latest forced update my screen flashes and goes black after the BIOS boots - when windows tries to load. This laptop is just garbage. It has caused so much stress and frustration that I have been reduced to tears, and Dell no longer stands behind their merchandise. I am so tired of poor craftsmanship from China and poor support from India. I will never purchase another product from Dell. I miss the good ole days of having control of your technology. I am going to Linux.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

I bought a Dell Inspiron 13 7000 Series on 4/12/2016. In January 2018, I was prompted to download a Dell update. After the update, the computer would not function. It never occurred to me to be wary of an update from the manufacturer or even to do research on it. I contacted Dell support and they were aware of the problem; however, since it was out of warranty, there was a fee involved (unbelievable, for something caused by your company). I took it to a repair shop and after three weeks, they determined the motherboard was corrupted by the update. Upon further internet investigation and of other repairpersons, it appears that I am not the only one affected. In fact, there seems to be a well-known problem with this update.

Since the original Dell is totally useless, I was forced to buy another computer. I do like the Inspiron, so I replaced it with a new Dell Inspiron 13 7000 Series on 2/1/2018. This is becoming a costly venture. The initial Dell cost $706.61, the replacement Dell was $588.49, the “repair” was $50, the USB drive for the data transfer was $12.80, plus weeks of aggravation and data recovery, with a total outlay of $1,357.90. I have all the receipts and documentation to support this claim. I believe you should be responsible for some of this since it never would have happened had you tested the update before sending it out to your customers. As an aside, I am now being prompted to do the latest update on my new Dell computer which I am completely afraid to download. At what point do I trust these updates?

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

I've been a loyal Dell Computer user for the last 15 years, not only using their laptops for my business, but also for me and my family's personal use. On my latest purchase I tried to exchange the laptop for a stronger system. Unfortunately, the Customer Service Rep and their managers kept arguing that I had gone past the 30-day return policy. I kept telling them the 30th day fell on a weekend, and because they're closed on weekends, the next available business day was the Monday that I called. They weren't even willing to give me credit toward a more expensive laptop! The Customer Service Rep and their managers were rude, demeaning, and unprofessional. Great job losing a loyal customer that loves your product.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2018

$39 for the estimate on laptop screen replacement alone? Non-refundable? Potentially $300-$500 for the actual replacement? Big corporation pocket squeezers like you are the epitome of worthless trash. Preying on and taking advantage of the incapable/ill-informed. I ordered a screen for $80 and fixed the thing myself. The company I ordered from also requested I make a video tutorial for them, detailing the process so that others can avoid paying your outlandish prices for an otherwise simple task.

However, Gurpreet, your “support agent” that I spoke with, was pretty dope. However, shame on you for reducing this man’s existence to your generalized “tech support” label at the end of the follow up email. Let your “agents” close the email with their name so that (1) your customers know they’re being contacted by another human being and not some generated email/robot nonsense—which we probably are—and (2) they can feel somewhat like an actual human being, given the dehumanizing circumstances you’ve provided them with.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

I purchased the Dell Inspiron laptop for my teenager in Sept. We put Windows 10 and Microsoft Office on it. Now we cannot get the computer to boot up and we cannot access the internet or do anything with this computer. Dell told me they will not help me at all. I tried to get them to let me upgrade. They will not. Tech support told me this computer has been getting thousands of complaints. Yet Dell will not help me. I did not know it was 32 gb until we called tech support. The Dell salesperson did not tell me that. It is not on my invoice. So I am stuck with a $300 worthless computer. I will never buy Dell again! I suggest that no one buy from Dell again! Their tech support and supervisors are not even in our country! They do not care at all about us. Dell is the worst company ever!

Original review: Jan. 28, 2018

I have been buying Dell computers since 2005 for our small business. I had a laptop D820 that I loved for its sturdy build and I used it for over 8 years. It never failed, just aged out due to software progression. Anyway, I've bought many Latitude laptops in recent years for employees and I've noticed a reduction in quality. One completely died after 2 yrs. Another has busted hinges after 3 yrs even with careful handling. And so on. I am so disgusted with this brand at this point, I will never buy another Dell product again.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2018

In 8 Months of purchase, DELL has offered to replace Mother Board, TouchPad, Battery, Cables, Screen of a faulty laptop. And the best part...these parts will be refurbished. So you don't know if you get a 2 year old reconditioned Mother Board and other parts. First they supply a defective Laptop (over other companies I have Experienced, DELL is the most low Quality Product) then they Show you the rule book of Refurbished Part replacement under their one sided terms. Do you as a Consumer have a choice? You are stuck with a Laptop that doesn't work, DELL shows you rulebook that repaired parts will be put into your system with only a 90 day warranty on these, and no guarantee that your Laptop won't give you problems again. Man has reached the Moon, DELL is still producing Cheap Low Quality laptops that are bound to give you trouble. Guys, AVOID THIS BRAND!

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

June 15 2017 I purchase a new Dell Inspiron 15 2 in 1 computer model 5578. Our son had a Dell and it worked well. I switch from HP. My HP worked well, but one hinge had broken and it became hard to turn on. My new Dell has nothing but trouble. Within the first week I had to call support and a tech remote into my computer. They said the problem was an operating system that was corrupted. So they installed a new one on the computer. That didn’t work. After calling in 3 more times and no fix. This laptop locks up on screensaver, when I'm on the internet or not. I have a good virus program and they have remote into my laptop and found nothing, I have run Microsoft malware program and nothing. I should have sent it back and ask for a refund. Don’t buy a Dell; their customer support is useless. DON’T buy.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2017

I researched computers for MONTHS before entering into med school to try and get a laptop that would keep up with my needs. I decided on the Dell Inspiron 13 7000 series with the core i7. Obviously I use this laptop a lot but given its specs there should've been NO problems but after using it for about 8 months I started having an issue with the charger. An error message popped up saying the adapter wasn't recognized and that the system would run slower and the computer wouldn't charge.

This issue started happening after owning my laptop for about 8 months. It was under warranty for a year, so it was "fixed" and sent back to me. I had to send this computer back to Dell 2 more times before the issue finally stopped. Now, 4 months later, with an expired warranty, the same issue is happening and Dell will only fix it if I pay them to. A computer less than a year and a half old should not be having these problems. I will never buy a Dell again, and plan to tell everyone I know the same.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2017

I bought a laptop last black Friday. The estimated delivery day are between 12/5/2017 - 12/8/2017. It is already late, and I contacted with a customer representative three times. He said to me, "We are waiting confirmation for the shipping from the shipping company". Later he sent me an email, which states that my laptop is still being assembled. I should wait for assemble it. After that, it might be delivered to a day who knows. How could be happened this kind of unprofessional think such a big company for Dell. Shame on you Dell...

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

I researched for weeks to find the perfect gaming laptop for my sons Christmas. I finally decided on the Alienware and ordered through dell.com. I woke up this morning to an email saying my card was declined. I spoke immediately with the bank who verified the payment was authorized and Dell tried to run the payment again 3 more times after the initial approval? The charged amount was different than my purchase price. I had to speak to 3 different people at Dell before someone could explain this. Meanwhile I ended up canceling the order because the second person told me I had to even though my bank already approved payment. Now I have to wait for the money to return to my account and I will pay the extra and go purchase it at Best Buy because I am sure they will do the same thing. I am very dissatisfied with my Dell experience!

Dell expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Dell, now renamed Dell Technologies, is a computer company that was founded in Round Rock, Texas in 1984. Dell was started with the goal of making technologies like computers more accessible and affordable to consumers. Dell's various lines of laptops can fit consumer needs from basic application functions to business solutions.

• Inspiron 3000: Dell’s Inspiron 3000 series is an ultra-portable 2-in-1 laptop series designed to perform basic computer functions.

• Inspiron 5000: The Inspiron 5000 is a 2-in-1 laptop that is capable of displays at stronger resolutions due to a more powerful processor than the basic model.

• Inspiron 7000: The Inspiron 7000 is a high-performance laptop capable of running more taxing applications and some light gaming. The Inspiron 7000 15 is Dell’s most powerful Inspiron model.

• XPS: The Dell XPS is a laptop designed for powerhouse visual quality. They are built to be durable despite their thin size.

• Chromebook: Dell’s Chromebook 11 and Chromebook 13 are lightweight computers designed for home or business use.

• Best for: Dell laptops are best for casual users, home offices and businesses.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs