3.53/5
Based on 1,161 ratings submitted in the last year

1432 Dell Laptops Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 9, 2019

I have bought so many different brands of laptops over the years and Dell is clearly the best brand. Every laptop I have bought from Dell has met my expectations. Dell makes good quality laptops. I just bought the Inspiron 15 5000 laptop and it's AMAZING! It's FAST and I LOVE it! The keyboard lights up too. Thank you Dell! I will never buy any other brand of computer except Dell.

Original review: April 14, 2019

Same design flaws as the 9550, same build excellence also. I had to recently replace my Dell XPS 15 9550. Since all the other performance laptop manufacturers seem to be aiming at the spoilt teenager market, I got the latest iteration of the Dell XPS 15, the 9570. Reasons why I had to replace the computer: Inability to replace or charge existing batteries - the DC power jack port mechanically failed after three years, which appears to have shorted the power supply diodes and making a battery replacement moot.

MOST IMPORTANTLY after 2 years the hinge suffered a catastrophic mechanical failure. The Dell XPS 15 design has a molded soft steel chassis bonded to the carbon fibre palmrest. This is extremely strong, but also quite flexible. The lid of the laptop requires about 1-2kg force to open, and this not only stresses the connection of the hinge to the chassis, but also puts mechanical stress on the screws that hold the backplate on (the two corner screws on the fan outlet side). The hinge is screwed into a molded screwblock that is bonded to the carbon, and connected to the rest of the chassis with a strip of soft steel only 0.8mm thick. This WILL break over time, absolutely no two ways about it. Your machine therefore has a life of around 3 years, irrespective of the excellent health of the internal components, which are still going strong.

It is a pitiable waste of a machine to throw away something that STILL WORKS just because Dell do not offer more than a 1 year breakage warranty. I'm not suggesting this is planned obsolescence, more like shoddy engineering. It is more than possible to reinforce the chassis with epoxy resin (or an x-brace of molded steel) where the DC power cable runs through to its inlet on the mainboard. Dell have opted not to look at this. They have not replied to several attempts to get their attention.

Get expert buying tips about Computer Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

I just had my brand new Dell XPS 15 go into a loop while trying to reset my laptop. I called in and asked for some help. The lady that helped me was MarieKate, and she did an amazing job. Walked me step by step for an hour, to find out how to fix it. She was amazing and I hope that the rest of the Customer Support is just like her. She tried multiple things to help get my laptop back up and running. She needs to be recognized!!!

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

I called Dell Concierge Support on Friday regarding my Dell Inspiron's damage to its right corner due to a fall from my sofa. They were exceedingly helpful, courteous and knowledgeable. I received a FedEx label and Dell box to ship my laptop for repair on Monday morning. I wrapped it carefully with the bubble wrap they provided and sent it to Dell for repair on Monday afternoon at about 4:00 PM. I was so pleasantly surprised at receiving my laptop back this morning via FedEx overnight service. My laptop looks and feels brand new! THANK YOU DELL Customer Service!!!

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

I went into Best Buy looking for a machine with an AMD Ryzen processor and dual band WiFi card. I found this Inspiron 5575 with 8GB of RAM, 1TB HDD, Dual band wifi, touch screen, camera, and HD graphics card all for around $560. After having this product for a couple of days, I am very impressed. It is lightweight, has a lighted keyboard, great battery life, and a decent Radeon graphics card. My only complaint was that I would have liked to have a DVD-RW drive - but I could always get an external drive. This thing is fast too, very responsive and runs cool - I couldn't be happier with my purchase. I highly recommend this machine to anyone looking for a great affordable laptop! :)

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dell?

Original review: Aug. 19, 2019

Customer service has been shipped to India and plagued with data mining and scams. Dont buy from this horrible company. I just purchased a $2400.00 xps30 and received a phone call the next day wanting personal details about my work and employers phone number, where I went to school, alternate emails and phone numbers. They already had everything they could possibly need and the money has already been taken from my account. They have threatened to cancel my order if I dont comply. Beware!

Original review: Aug. 16, 2019

I had the worst experience with Dell computer company's computer service. I purchased a laptop from them and spent almost 1000 dollars. As I opened the computer it started to freeze, I thought it is because it's a new computer and it is installing different drives. After a few days it got better but then started to freeze again. I called the customer service and a representative made a few updates that helped for a while but again after a few weeks the laptop started to freeze.

I called again and they said that because I don't have warranty for the software I have to pay between 200-300 dollars to fix the problem. I spoke with so many representatives and no one will help me with my problem without having to pay. I couldn't believe that a company like Dell won't take responsibility for a computer that I received damaged and ask me to pay a ridiculous amount in order to fix a problem that my laptop had from the day I opened it. Such a disappointing company! I will never buy from them again!

Original review: Aug. 14, 2019

I just bought a brand new laptop last year that has been giving me issues from the start. It’s constantly making a noise, the browser and apps are so slow I feel like I'm using a laptop from 2002 and I had to mail it to them 3 times and 3 times they sent it back saying it was fixed but nothing had changed so finally I got fed up and gave up. And then it kept crashing on me so spent hours on the phone with Customer service to fix it and now within 13 months the battery is at the end of its usable life and Dell wants me to buy warranty to fix my battery ‘cause apparently battery life is only a year. I have used laptops for 15 years and never has a single battery stopped working within a year. These people are just conning customers by sending them defective pieces and then forcing them to buy warranty. Never again.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2019

I have had an XPS 15 for about four years. I have had the same problem recur probably 5 times, which is that it reboots every time it goes into sleep mode. The support service is mostly good, though I did run into one untrained idiot, who deleted all my personal files, not all of which were recovered. However, it takes about 90 minutes for them to repair the recurring issue, so I have spent collectively now hours and hours repairing the same issue again and again, which usually works for a while. If it was a warranty, then the computer would be replaced, because it is otherwise a lemon, but I have to go through the same rigmarole again and again. And the other thing it does, as I'm typing this, is that the mouse jumps all over the place, without any obvious reason.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2019

I began shopping for laptops a couple months before the XPS 2in1 was released and I was floored by the early previews. So much so that I waited with anticipation and excitement for this system to be released. It has cutting edge processors with the new Radeon GPU. Specs set it to be one of the fastest, if not the fastest 2 in 1 on the market t its release. On top of that, it looks great and has a solid reputation from previous models in the XPS line.

These machines have been a nightmare since day 1. I say "machines" because I went through several in the first month. Three actually. The first was the 4k screen version. I set it up with excitement only to find that the battery life would only give an hour and a half using light duty web browsing set to battery saver. Not acceptable. I had read that battery life would be an issue on the 4k, but 1 and a half hours for a nearly two thousand dollar machine is a joke. So I returned it. The one good thing I can say is that the 30 day return window is great. So I order another XPS 2in1. This time the HD version - slightly cheaper with the promise of 8+hours of battery life. This one however would only give around 2 and a half hours. Hrmm. Disappointing. And then other problems started. The stylus stopped working. That was the first time I spend 3 hours with tech support ~ reinstalling drivers, BIOS, combing through settings.

Eventually we used the restore function to restore the machine to a previous point. I should mention that if you do get one of these, you will become an expert and setting up new Windows 10 profiles. Because you’ll have to reinstall from scratch so many times. After the stylus it was the trackpad. These I solved quicker using the restore point fix. Except for some reason at some point the restore point disappeared and I had to do a hard restart. It also had the issue with the battery life. It also got HOT. I ran performance diagnostics and found that the processing speeds were far less than advertised or experienced by tech reviewers. It seems that the machines they sent to the magazines were not like any of the machines they sent to me.

The final straw was when the fingerprint scanner stopped working. None of the previous fixes worked. Sooo I sent it back. I got ANOTHER HD xps. This time however they called it a computer exchange, not a new purchase. Which meant that my 30 window to complete return had closed. Unfortunate in retrospect. I just had so much faith that they would get it right. and I REALLY wanted this computer to work as promised. At this point I had at least 12 hours of troubleshooting logged in. I’m very technically inclined as well ~ do NOT consider this machine if you are anything other than an expert level working with computers. I also bought their top warranty extension. Which is great btw ~ repairs any kind of damage, even accidents. Absolutely do not consider buying a dell without it. Just consider it part of the cost. I'll tell you why next.

When I received my third and final Dell XPS 9575 2 in 1 my expectations were not high TBH. This helped manage my disappointment that this third computer ALSO ran very hot and ALSO never got more than 3 hours battery time using Chrome with a single tab 50% screen brightness and no audio. I ran a battery diagnostics and windows reported that the battery never accepted a charge over 60% of capacity. Bad battery. I wish the battery was the only issue. I learned already to get in the habit of setting regular windows restore points, because this machine is so unstable. The track pad regularly cuts out. There’s also a strange skittishness to the whole system. It’s unstable, sure, crashes, freezes, etc. But also it does strange things. The cursor will jump around the screen unexpectedly. Often, when I have multiple application windows open, a window in the background will pop to the front.

These are minor issues in the context of the rest of the machine. Quirks, let’s call them. Another very frustrating "quirk" is the magnetic keyboard. Many of the keys (not most) only register when they are hit directly in the center. A full depression on the edge or corner of the key won’t register. This includes the space bar. This can be VERY annoying and slows down my typing considerably especially because it’s inconsistent. I often have far more typos than I’d ever have on another machine. Typing passwords is particularly frustrating because many times a key won’t register, but you can’t see.

So 8 months in I finally sent it in for service listing all of the above issues. Two weeks later I got my machine back with low expectations. The first thing I checked was the battery. And GREAT NEWS. For the first time in 9 months with 3 machines I was getting decent battery times. Not 8 hours like promised, but 5-6. Which for me at this point is a huge win. It also ran cooler. The service notes mentioned a bad battery and heat paste. I then tested the keyboard. Same. ok. Oh well. I have had my dell XPS 2in1 for a little over a year now. The extended warranty has expired - they borderline harass me to pay more to extend it - which I felt so conflicted about. It feels like they know they built a terrible machine and then make money off of the service plan.

In the past month I have new variations of the same problems. The WiFi adapter started acting up a while back. TBH I can’t remember when that one started. It will randomly drop the signal of my wifi then freeze up. If I reboot, it comes back so I’ve treated this like a "quirk" of the machine. I’ve spent hours reinstalling drivers, bios, settings, troubleshooting, yadda yadda. A really tricky one was recently the computer started this strange behavior where the whole screen would blink all black for one second and then come back to normal. It would randomly do this every 5 seconds or so (not a regular blink). Anything that uses the GPU crashes when this happens. I figured out that it only does this when chrome is open.

And all that leads me to my newest and the worst issue to date. The entire computer now will randomly turn completely off. Screen goes black. Power off. Not a typical crash. Complete power failure. It also won’t start up right away. Hitting the power button causes the keyboard to light up a moment and then go black. If I wait a few minutes and come back it has started backup. This has happened 4 times in the past 3 days. The system is up to date. I can’t get any support or talk to anyone at dell without paying them MORE money.

I do not write reviews typically. I have thought about writing a negative review of this system in the past, but never had the time. Well, I am writing this because this is the final straw. Dell has produced a lemon here. And I can’t imagine how they could have done this without knowing it. Go through the forums to find solutions to some of these problems. I see others with the similar issues. Dell knows it and still is trying to make a profit of us. Do not buy this machine. Do not buy a dell. I regret not buying the HP Spectre two in one. Or giving Macbooks a more serious look.

This thing has cost me time and money. It is the worst performing, least stable machine I have ever encountered. If you made it this far please tell this to anyone you ever hear thinking about buying a laptop. Relay this to your company or school if they’re considering buy dells. I research laptops extensively. Do not buy these garbage computers. They are a scam and a ripoff in a good looking package.

Dell expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Dell, now renamed Dell Technologies, is a computer company that was founded in Round Rock, Texas in 1984. Dell was started with the goal of making technologies like computers more accessible and affordable to consumers. Dell's various lines of laptops can fit consumer needs from basic application functions to business solutions.

• Inspiron 3000: Dell’s Inspiron 3000 series is an ultra-portable 2-in-1 laptop series designed to perform basic computer functions.

• Inspiron 5000: The Inspiron 5000 is a 2-in-1 laptop that is capable of displays at stronger resolutions due to a more powerful processor than the basic model.

• Inspiron 7000: The Inspiron 7000 is a high-performance laptop capable of running more taxing applications and some light gaming. The Inspiron 7000 15 is Dell’s most powerful Inspiron model.

• XPS: The Dell XPS is a laptop designed for powerhouse visual quality. They are built to be durable despite their thin size.

• Chromebook: Dell’s Chromebook 11 and Chromebook 13 are lightweight computers designed for home or business use.

• Best for: Dell laptops are best for casual users, home offices and businesses.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs