1.6/5 (63 ratings)

About Dell Laptops

Dell was founded in the early 1980s and was a pioneer in the home computer and technology industry. It has been a leader in high-tech computers, monitors, workstations, tablets, printers and laptops for decades.

Pros

• High-end features available
  • Multiple price points
  • Wide range of models

Cons

• Heavier than some other laptops
  • Budget laptops can break easily

Bottom Line

Dell is a worldwide leader in computers, monitors, systems, laptops, printers and innovative technology. It offers a wide range of stylish laptops perfect for school, home and business.

Top Dell Laptops Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I have had Dell forever. They are very sturdy and you can trust them. My kids dropped them several times and they keep working. For college students they are a plus because come i...

Verified

This has been a very good laptop. Good battery life, and great features. I would buy one again. I went from a desktop computer to this laptop, and never looked back. this is a lap...

What is Dell?

Dell offers laptops for work and home, and its products include features that are important to students, fast-paced professionals and entrepreneurs. Some of the most popular laptops are:

• Dell XPS 13: This 2.8-pound laptop has an extended battery life and an attractive and sleek exterior frame. The screen is close to borderless, which adds flair to the design. It has a large screen, comfortable keyboard and 10th-generation Intel Core i7 processor
  • Dell XPS 15: This 4.5-pound laptop has an industrial design and high-level graphics performance. The keys and touchpad are larger than most other models, and it has a four-border InfinityEdge bezel on the screen.
  • Dell Inspiron 15 3000: This 4.96-pound laptop can replace many people’s desktop computers. It’s bulkier and heavier than some other laptops, but it offers a strong build, 6 GB of memory and an eight-hour battery. For the price (around $329), it is a solid laptop with basic features and a sleek design
  • Alienware M17: This 5.8-pound laptop is great for gaming because it features a ninth-generation Intel Core processor and DDR4 RAM. It comes in a variety of configurations that meet the needs of the serious gamer. While the battery life only lasts an average of 2½ hours for moderate gaming use, the slim design, dark colors and high-resolution display are added perks. This gaming computer starts at $1,349.99, and customized laptops can cost up to $4,229.99

How do Dell laptops work?

Dell laptops range from budget desktop replacement computers to sleek and innovative gaming PCs. Dell’s expansive line of computers lets you pick and choose the features that are important to you.

• Memory: Dell laptops come with many different memory options, ranging from 4 GB of RAM to 64 GB.
  • Storage: Storage drive sizes range from 500 GB to 2 TB and up.
  • Operating system: Dell laptops come with four different operating system options: Windows 10, Linux Ubuntu, Chrome and Chrome Enterprise Upgrade.
  • Display: Screen sizes range from 11 inches to 17 inches. There are touch screen and non-touch screen options. You can also choose the display resolution that works best for your eyes, ranging from HD and HD+ to Full HD, Full HD+, 4K and UHD+.
  • Processor: Dell laptops use seventh generation Intel Core to 10th generation Intel Core processors.
  • Life span: The average life span of a Dell laptop is three to five years.

Dell laptops prices

Dell laptops offer innovative, streamlined computers made for work, personal use and school. The most budget-friendly Dell laptops average around $350 to $400, while premium models, such as the Dell Alienware M15, can retail for over $2,000.

Consumers who want the style and functionality of a Dell laptop without paying retail prices can purchase refurbished laptops, desktops, monitors and servers at the online Dell Outlet. These refurbished laptops are 15% less than new computers and have the same impressive specs.

Dell also offers a price-match guarantee. If you find a lower-priced (and similarly configured) computer, tablet or monitor advertised online, Dell matches the price. It doesn't matter if it is from Dell, HP, Lenovo or Apple — Dell will match it.

Here are some of the most popular Dell laptops and the average cost at the time of publishing:

ModelPrice
Dell XPS 13$1,149
Dell XPS 15$1,299
Dell Inspiron 15 3000$229
Dell Precision 5750 Mobile Workstation$1,879
Alienware M17$1,599

Dell laptops FAQ

Where are Dell laptops made?
Dell computers are made in factories all across the world, including Ireland, Brazil, China, Malaysia and the U.S.
Are Dell laptops good for gaming?
Dell has specific laptops that are geared toward gamers. Dell computers aren’t specifically gaming computers, but its Alienware brand is a popular choice for gamers looking for power and speed.
Do Dell laptops come with Microsoft Office?
Yes. Most Dell laptops are equipped with a basic version of Office named Starter and can be upgraded to a more advanced version of Microsoft Office.
Are Dell laptops reliable?
Yes. Dell laptops are reliable, made of high-quality materials and have long battery life. They’ve been a trusted tool for students, business owners, bloggers and entrepreneurs for decades.

Are Dell laptops good?

Yes. Dell laptops are high-quality computers with strong batteries, sleek designs, high-end internal hardware and a variety of extras that make them a convenient tool for work or business. Dell laptops are sleek and portable, and there are many models to choose from to suit your needs and budget.

Dell Laptops Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dell Laptops?

Original review: Jan. 9, 2021

My Dell XPS15 is 4 years old and is a real work horse! Fast, always reliable, and I use it daily for at least 4 hours. There was a problem a couple of years ago with the power outlet being loose. I got it fixed and it's perfect now. Also Dell service has been extremely helpful and responsive on the few occasions I had to contact them. I would recommend Dell laptops whole heartedly.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2020

I'm on my second computer from Dell. Their products last a long time and are well made. They also have excellent technical support for a very low yearly price which is worth every penny as your computer gets older and has occasional issues. I chose to buy again from Dell when my 10 year old laptop finally became too old to safely use anymore because I trust their products and find their technical support outstanding. It is invaluable for someone who doesn't understand the inner workings of a computer to be able to call and receive technical support 24/7. I'd recommend Dell to everyone. If someone wants a reliable, long lasting laptop I trust Dell to deliver exactly that. I was very happy with my first Dell laptop, as well as pleased that it worked well for 10 years. I am just as happy with my second one from Dell.

Get buying tips about Computer Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2020

The Dell laptop is not very fancy or the fastest, but it works well and it works well for a long time. I have had this computer for over three years and it works much better than expected. The trackpad is a little bigger than I believe is necessary and the keyboard does not hold up well under applied force, but these are minor points. The Dell backup features however, are not very effective for my needs. But, the backup utility does allow you to customize and create a backup that works for you, so this helps the matter.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2020

I've had this Dell Inspiron 15 laptop for over 7 years with 0 problems. I would rate this laptop as a 5 but the performance at times, especially during startup and maybe 5 minutes after startup, the system is slow. Although this may be related to security software or system updates running in the background. Now that I have a Surface Pro, I only use this laptop maybe twice a month for budget and tax software. In the past I would use it maybe once or twice a week.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2020

I was very careful in my purchase last Dec. - wanting the most value for my dollars. Over the year, I've experienced some defects - minor but annoying. Easy to get tech help by phone and/or live chat. When the issues weren't resolved completely, they actually sent a tech person to my home, even during Covid, at no charge. He fixed everything. This was even beyond what my warranty covered by they did it for good faith customer service.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2021

They are providing worst customer services with no solution of the issues at all. They delay the services a lot during the warranty period and whenever we call, they is only one statement "apology for the inconvenience caused". A worst company that I have ever encountered in my life. It is approx 1 month of the complaint and they are just making the false promises and commitments.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2021

I was told by 1 person they would exchange the computer. The sad thing is this is the third and last Dell I will ever own. Because it is over 30 days I have to send it in and wait for it to come back. It doesn't matter to them I need this for work. The computer part still works as long as I duct tape it together. Before this I did not know how they were held together. I had assumed it was by screws but it isn't. They wanted to know what physical damage had I done to it. Absolutely none. I opened the computer and the pieces holding the screen together separated. I can click it back it but it opens up every time I open or close the computer. What a piece of junk.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2021

I bought an Alienware laptop from Dell after consulting their sales department and being assured this model could handle what I wanted a laptop to do. It arrived with a power supply that did not work and immediately began overheating and having processing issues out of the box. Dell ordered a replacement power supply and then pushed the shipping back 3 times. I received it in March. Dell ordered a replacement laptop in March but then cancelled it due to component shortages. I was forced to deal with Dell escalation person Florence ** who was rude and dismissive and told me that she was the end point of contact and if I wanted someone higher than herself I would have to drive to Texas and go to the Dell offices personally.

The problems with my laptop continued, I worked with Microsoft directly to reinstall Windows and remove processes that helped the laptop run better, but it was still bad. It overheated constantly despite being on a cooling pad and programs would freeze, sometimes completely crashing the laptop. I contacted Dell tech support again in May when things became so unstable that the laptop was almost unusable, and luckily I found a technician who spent hours working on my laptop remotely and discovered that my motherboard was broken. He scheduled a technician to finally come to my home to repair the laptop because I paid for premium support when I bought it.

The technician arrived, replaced the heating supply and the motherboard and broke the sound. He left without repairing it or putting the old motherboard back (which I requested). Another technician came out to replace the motherboard again, which he did, but the sound was still broken and the computer was still crashing. Another tech was sent out to replace the motherboard a third time and that is when I found out that the reason I was still having issues is that the motherboards are refurbished, not new, so they commonly have issues. This was the last straw, and this is now July. So I demanded a new replacement laptop, which they finally agreed to because the original replacement had been cancelled in March.

In September I received the new laptop and it had graphical issues out of the box. On start up the screen would go black and have vertical white lines through it. I called Dell technical support and they updated my graphics drivers remotely, and we learned that the computer was overheating. I had to go through a new install of Windows with a technician and it seems to be working better.

So, to sum things up: I paid $3000 for a laptop that didn't work, spent hours on the phone with dell technical support to try to repair it, had my new motherboard replaced with 3 refurbished ones, had to buy my own power supply, and then got a new laptop that also has issues and that I have already spent hours on the phone with dell technical support to try to repair. I have open cases with the Texas Attorney General's Office and the Federal Trade Bureau regarding this.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2021

Since the 11th of Oct. while placing an order on the net. The delivery shows 2 to 3 days' time. When the order is confirmed the delivery date keeps change from 27th of Oct to Nov 4th. CUSTOMER SEVICE IS POOR AND WILL NOT HELP. THEY WANT US TO CANCEL THE ORDER AND REBOOK. HOW MANY TIMES DO WE NEED TO REPEAT THIS.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2021

I purchased a Dell gaming laptop online on or about 12/29/2020 I paid for 2 years warranty. On or about the 26th of July 2021 the laptop started overheating and shutting down. I called Dell support as I paid for next day service. They send a tech out but I was at work. They have no repair depots in here. Since the repair tech and I work the same hours, the service I paid for was unavailable? Dell support agreed to replace the laptop. I seen an order in my Dell account. I week later I looked and the order was canceled. No one called or anything. Now Dell support says they will give me a full refund.

Here is a cut and paste from that email dated Sept 10, 2021: "As discussed, the refund for the return to computer was processed to your Dell preferred account. The amount refunded is $**. The refund will reflect on your Dell preferred account in the next two to three business days. You can call the Dell financial services team at 800-283-2210 by Tuesday or Wednesday and request them to send you a check for the amount you paid."

It's now Oct 10, 2021 and no refund? A Dell preferred account? Dell Financial says the account is inactive? I have called Dell Financial Services almost everyday and all they say is "We're monitoring the account"? They accept that they owe me the refund but will not issue it? It's been over a month since they got the broken laptop back at Dell (Sept 3/21). Not sure I will ever get a refund? Worst company I have dealt with in my 62 years? Customer service is not there, cut and paste.

Dell Laptops Company Information