Dell Laptops

Compare Computer Brands

Research top Computer Brands recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I purchased a Dell Inspiron 15 Laptop for my wife to use connecting to her brother quilting machine and to manage running a small business. When we received it, we set it up for facial recognition but the camera didn't work. I called tech support and they determined it was a motherboard problem, sent a tech to replace it and it seemed to work fine but then started having power issues and giving error messages. Finally the hard drive failed.

I called Dell again and they said it was a customer level repair, and that they would send a replacement. I refused to install it fearing I could be held accountable for any other problems. So a tech came to install it and the new drive would not install the windows system - the factory tech had not removed his/her password. So another hard drive was sent to the local tech to install. This time it worked. Then the computer had power issues again and started running more and more slowly.

I called Dell again, but lo and behold the 12 month warranty had expired. To replace the now dead AD Adapter I reluctantly purchased a service agreement for it, and they sent a replacement. I plugged the replacement into the wall socket and the green light turned on. Then I plugged the male end into the computer, the green light went out and no power went to the computer. So, today, I called Dell again knowing that they needed to repair this for once and for all. I offered that they take it back and close my loan account or fix it. They require the warranty to be extended or pay for the repair. I refused stating that this is not a new problem as they see it and that they never adequately repaired it which leaves their warranty as ineffective. I should not have to pay them more money to fix this problem.

I have had Dell computers for years and never had issues. This laptop is now a dead brick leaning up against the side of my desk. I still make my monthly payment for the privilege of owning a perfectly useless box. I am waiting on a call from the tech's supervisor who I am sure will reassure me that he/she will do their level best to resolve my problem and explain that the warranty will cover everything. But as a retired businessman I know customer care is not the customer's responsibility and delivery of "GOODS" and "SERVICES" is the company's responsibility. Dell fails at both. I encourage users to use the "buyers beware" attitude when shopping with Dell and one way to avoid the hassle will be to buy elsewhere.

I bought an Inspiron 17 7000 series a few months ago. The warranty will end on October 5, 2017. I called Dell for help because a plastic part came out of a USB port. After being transferred to three different departments, they told me that they can send a box for me to ship the laptop to them, and that it will cost me almost $160.00. NOT FUN! I told them that I owned a Sony laptop for 8 years and nothing fall apart, nothing broke and nothing stop working. How come my Dell is a few months old and it had already started to fall apart? Those Indians people only said that they are sorry but that is how it is. I am very frustrated because I take good care of my laptop and I am the only one who uses it. How come I have to pay extra when the cheap parts they use to make their laptops fall apart? NO FAIR... NO RIGHT! Crappy people! Crappy Company! I will NOT buy Dell never again; I am not spending any other dime on Dell. I do not recommend DELL to anybody.

I purchased 2 laptops for Christmas. One for my daughter and the other for my grandmother. I must say, my experience with their customer service was horrible. I was trying to get help due to an error message "hard drive not installed". On 2/12/2017 I spoke with 8 different people including a supervisor. I was on the phone for a total of 4 hrs of my Sunday morning. Finally, they scheduled a technician to come out, he was here yesterday 2/14 and even after changing the hard drive there's still a problem.

Now because I can't simply bring my computer to a location for a tech to repair, I have to wait for a box to arrive so that I may ship it to them. They say 3-5 business days total. But this is completely outrageous. They explained that the tech only handles hardware issues and is not bothered with software problems. I honestly will never purchase a Dell again, and at this point I really want to just return both laptops. Including my grandmother's (which by the way is still in the box).

Dell survives only on brand name. I had bought a Dell Inspiron on September 2015. Within 30 days I realised that the laptop is extremely slow. I contacted the Dell customer care. After almost 10 to 15 days follow up they agreed to sent a technician. The technician himself confessed that when the parts has to be replaced Dell always gives a recycled part. They never give a new or a genuine part. He was more concerned on sending his work report from my system rather than resolving my laptop's issues. In spite of repeatedly complaining the company has never reverted.

Now once my laptop is out of warranty, even before listening to my concern they advised me a motherboard replacement. And they demand that I must make a payment of Rs 15000 in advance, even before the technician visits and actually confirms the problem. So if there is no problem with the motherboard I still will have to purchase it. Wow!!! I have never seen such a bad customer service. Post sale service in Dell is hopeless. So dear friends make a sensible choice and don't be fooled as me chasing the brand name.

I have purchased many electronic items from Dell. My main concern is about my personal laptop that I purchased back in 2003. After the initial warranty was expired I purchased what was supposed to be extended warranty for 3 years only to be told when my computer finally broke down. My warranty was only for one year for $239. The last time I had someone work on my computer she was working on it for over 8 hours but never resolved the issue which led my husband to have to wipe my computer clean and to restart it. After contacting Dell requesting tech support I was told that I had no warranty on my computer. When I asked why I didn't have any warranty on my computer since this warranty was purchased in 2015 it's now February of 2017 but the warranty was supposed to be for three years as promised but was told by the tech support it was only for one year.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dell ?

I loved my Dell Inspiron 5000. It had all of the features that I needed and a dream to handle and just what I needed. That was until the nightmare started about 3 months after purchase. It started with little things like keys falling off, cap lock light not working. Then odd things, sound on & off, colors shooting across the screen, the frame around the screen coming loose, etc., then it would not hold a charge and & the whole laptop became unusable.

When I could finally connect with tech support, that was when the real nightmare began, they would not call back, could not communicate because of their thick accents, would not give me an English speaker, a total run around for 3 months. Another 4 months & 3 times of sending laptop back and forth by mail, uncountable phone calls and still not working and then had the nerve to tell me that now my warranty was up! I now know they were waiting for me to give up. I threatened to have my attorney contact them & all of a sudden a new laptop appeared in the mail. Ok now all is well? Not a chance! After 4 months I found out today the new one needs a new motherboard. I can't face going through the above again. HELP!

I ordered battery for my Dell laptop. It never arrived. The customer service told me that the battery I asked for is out of stock because my laptop is several years old. I asked them to tell me which batteries were in stock. They gave me two other options for my Dell laptop. I ordered one of them and it never showed up either. I had to cancel my order again. The customer service people are in India. They are extremely rude, they lie and don't have any knowledge of how to help the customer. Dell is an unprofessional company. I will never buy a Dell product ever again.

Dell Inspiron 15 - Dell have refused to offer any help towards this distasteful problem. From day 2 the on/off stopped working so 11 days waiting for repair. Then about 19 months later problems started with the hinges. They eventually let go so the lid flops around like a prick in a bowler hat. Dell quoted £430 to do the screen. A local company have 5 yes 5 waiting for the same parts and repair. They quoted £160. 100 is the cost of the lid from Dell. When asked would Dell pay for a new lid and I will pay the labor they declined to even answer me. DELL YOUR SERVICE IS SUCH CRAP. I WILL NEVER BUY FROM YOU AGAIN. I will encourage everyone I can to avoid you like a bad STD.

My laptop crashed last Wednesday so I called Dell to help me. They sent me a recovery disc and I ended up calling them back to help me. The rep was very nasty and was getting frustrated with me as I am not computer savvy and everything he was telling me to do would not work. So after about 3hrs, he finally said to me he could not help me that my hard drive was probably fried, and attempted to try and sell me a new one over the phone. I took it to the Geek Squad after that which I guess should have done in the first place and they told me Dell deleted my entire hard drive. I will NEVER deal with that company again and from looking at these other reviews I am not alone.

The computer (Dell Inspiron 5000) works well for now, bought it a year ago, but it won't last long because it is falling apart. It is literally unhinged. No abuse on my part, the computer was always stiff to open from day one. So stiff that opening it for a year has now caused one hinge to come off the computer which has subsequently caused the plastic frame around the computer to come off in the lower left hand corner. Physically this computer is not-durable/substandard/poor-quality/crap or a similar adjective of your choice. Will avoid Dell in the future, they surely know this product was defective but have kept it on the market.

I purchased a new 17" laptop computer from Amazon and found out 2 months later that the warranty had expired. I called both Amazon and Dell to get the warranty updated. Every time I contacted Dell I was faced with an 5 different levels of choices and then when I finally got a real person, they had an accent you couldn't understand and they would transfer me to a different agent phone number with the same 5 levels of questions to try to get to the correct person. After 14 phone calls and the same runaround I gave up. If you need support for a new computer, DO NOT GET A DELL!

My son purchased a new Dell computer that was built with an insufficient PSU for what came with the PC. Dell admitted that this was the problem (and the fact is backed up in multiple blogs). However, Dell's only solution was for my son to pay another $285 for a sufficient PSU and have it installed at his expense. After being appalled about this situation I attempted to reach someone to see if there was another resolution. I was sent to call centers in 3 or 4 different countries, hung up on, told repeatedly that it was not Dell's problem, put on hold for nearly an hour, and after two days of this the last rep I spoke with (in India) sent me an email to complain that I was unprofessional and rude to him.

I have repeatedly made attempts to contact the Dell's home office. But, good luck with that! Every number you dial puts you into a daisy chain of call centers around the world. The company executives apparently don't want to hear complaints. If they do then they have to acknowledge to the company's board and shareholders that they are putting out JUNK (hear no evil...see no evil). A simple $25 fix and providing my son with just a little bit of proper customer service would have made this a simple non-issue. But, instead it turned into an issue that assures he nor I will ever spend another penny on a Dell product. Furthermore, it assure that I will tell everyone I know to stay clear of Dell.

Yes, this may not get his computer fixed. But, at least it will be at a cost of sales for Dell. BTW, I set on the budgeting board of three companies. The last Dell purchase that I approved was $18,926. We have two other IT upgrade requests slated for the first quarter of 2017. Guess who will NOT be receiving those orders. A lack of customer service can cost a company. Use the power of your wallet to demand good customer service. STAY AWAY FROM DELL the company with customer service from HELL.

I have always purchased from Dell, but will not after the last laptop I purchased. The hard drive had to be replaced within 2 weeks of receiving, then the keyboard had to be replaced, a technician had to come out to fix the power supply outlet, and now it won't even turn on. The technical support is horrible as the technicians take over 2 hours to be able to fix something and half the time don't even know how to fix an issue. It seems all Dell cares about is their stockholders and lining their pockets.

My Dell Laptop worked great for six months, then the number pad stopped working. About two months later, the optic drive stopped working and would not eject a disk. I have been busy taking classes and working, so I ignored the nonworking parts on my Dell Inspiron 5559. I finally called the company, because my computer is still under warranty. The first evening I was on the phone with a tech for one hour and five minutes. The next morning, Fedex dropped off a keyboard. I called Dell, to find out why they sent me a keyboard, I was expecting a box, to send my laptop in for repair. Instead I was kept on the phone for another hour and forty minutes, while a tech tried to walk me through removing the optic drive. Needless to say, the connector broke off, and now I have to send it in for repair. Why didn't they recommend sending it in because it is still under warranty. Are customers expected to fix their own laptops while they are still under warranty?

I am completely disgusted with Dell. Everyone I know always spoke very highly of Dell. The cruel reality becomes apparent once you own and use a Dell. To say that I'm disappointed in my Dell Laptop would be an understatement. Warranty does not mean speaking to an Indian woman in India, who tried to walk me through removing screws to disassemble my Dell on my kitchen table after 11 PM EST. The end result is that I have send my Dell Laptop to Texas, so that Dell technicians can fix it, like they should have done in the first place.

Have experienced battery problems from the start. I leave my laptop plugged in. It will regularly start losing battery power. My son told to unplug it for a while and then plug back in. It has done this from the beginning. After I plug back in it works for a while.

I am very frustrated with my Dell XPS 13. I have had several issues the first two months of ownership. I had to send the computer back to the factory to replace the hard drive. What a hassle, because I use the laptop for work. Also deleted my files. Then, today, after the backlit keyboard went dark and the speaker won't work, the tech support people asked me to send back the computer for a new motherboard and keyboard. Gosh, I wish I would have gotten the Apple or Surface Pro. They seem to be trouble free.

I have had very little problems with my Dell laptop. I find it easy to navigate and also durable. I recommend this brand. Dell seems to be a very well built computer, I do wish their support team was based in the USA for customers from the USA. There tends to be a language barrier when dealing with them.

I've used Dell for more than 20 years, to include three personal laptops. I keep buying them because of the wide array of selection of options, as well as the ease of use. There may be brands that are less expensive, but I believe you get what you pay for, and Dell has been consistently reliable. The customer service is outstanding. Just last month I had an issue with my laptop, which was still under warranty, and it was completely repaired and updated in five days with no charge. As far as I'm concerned, there is no other computer brand that's comparable. I would say that my twenty years' of consistently excellent experience with Dell at home for personal computing and at work speaks for itself. And don't forget that continuing customer service and technical support is outstanding.

I have owned & preferred several Dell computers, which I have enjoyed through the years. This latest one I cannot praise as highly. It is Inspiron 15 and has not held up as well as the others. The touch of the keyboard is soft so you have to really press down hard. Also several keys are loose and some have come off and I keep putting them back on. I would still consider another Dell product but I will ensure that these problems will not occur on my next one.

There was a bit of a learning curve getting up to speed with Windows 10 but in the end, once I got used to the quirks, features like the touch screen and ability to convert from a laptop into "tablet mode" won me over. Thin design is nice as well. I purchased a Dell Laptop that also converts to a "tablet" style. The lack of an on-board DVD drive was inconvenient at first (remedied with an additional $25 external drive purchase and download of a DVD PLAYER software that was not resident upon purchase- annoying) and THEN I started to REALLY like this machine. Perhaps the coolest feature was having a laptop with a touchscreen. I'm so used to using a smartphone and other tablets, being able to use this feature on a laptop was amazing. Other brands could benefit from this feature. Certainly, it wouldn't be that expensive to build in... Kudos to Dell for a nice machine!

I've had it several years and never given me a problem. In the past I asked my computer Fix-It guy what brand he would buy if he was buying a laptop now and he said Dell has never given very many problems so that is what I did. The picture is great and I use it all the time just send Netflix to my TV. Also the speed is great even though I don't have the fastest speed from my server. I can't imagine wanting it any faster. If I would choose one thing the speakers are not very loud but it doesn't really matter because I have speakers connected to it so I listen to Pandora all the time with great sound.

Although my Dell Laptop is old and has been worked on multiple times it is still usable. I can't afford a new one though as much as I need one! My 8 year old Dell 15" Inspiron Laptop has been repaired multiple times but that was due to viruses/hackers invaders. The keys are worn out and I have lost a few drives but this old laptop is still usable.

I am in my 3rd week of using my new Dell Inspiron 15 3000 Series. Intel Core I5 processor, 8GB RAM, 1 TB HDD. I bought my laptop from BestBuy.com. It arrived a day or 2 early, great packing, easy setup. Excellent tutorial online to walk you through setup. Did I mention fast response? Wow, very impressive. Easy download and setup of my virus protection, photo editing, iTunes, etc. I love this laptop. This is a great laptop, got it from BB, Cyber Monday Sale, save $150. Runs like a Maserati.

This is my first laptop and love it. I have used other people's laptops and enjoyed them but this one I have beats all. Their customer support is the best and the computer itself is totally user friendly. This is the best computer I have ever had... attractive, user friendly, has lots of RAM and disc space... many features usually only found on large computers.

I love this computer and when I had a problem, it was taken care of immediately. I have a Dell Inspiron 17" laptop (about 3 years). I especially like the feel of the keyboard. In comparison to HP computers, it doesn't overheat and burn out like the three HP computers I have had. Dell offers better service by phone and computer. The only problem I have had is that the adapter/power cord has had to be replace three times. I thought it was because of the design but it could be because I am disabled and not as gentle as I should be. Overall, this is the best computer I have ever purchased.

Never never buy a Dell laptop. Purchased a laptop last year for $650. Warranty expired on Nov 03/2016. Laptop had a minor problem before Nov 03/2016. The problem was when I need to turn on the laptop, I had to hit power button hard for 2 to 3 seconds. So didn't bother to call Dell because I thought it's a minor problem but on Nov 06/2016. Completely stopped working. No power at all. Called Dell customer service. Explained them the problem started during the warranty period. But didn't accept to repair it under warranty. Never expected that the big company like Dell's customers service could be this much worse. Never going to buy Dell laptop again in future.

I have not needed customer support from Dell. I use my local computer guys. At least they speak English! I've had a Dell in the past, and when I needed a new one, I got a rebuilt Latitude. Good price, and I get excellent support from the local store I purchased it.

I have owned varying computer brands, Dell is the only one I have found that is reliable and easily upgraded. Performance is good. Have had few problems with the laptops over the years. I have had problems after MS Windows 10 was forced to replace Windows 7 and Windows 8 on both Dell laptops. One of my laptops was not tested by Dell and is not fully compatible with Windows 10. Lost my WiFi with Windows 10 and Dell has not put out a patch to fix it. I had not had any problems loading and running Linux on the laptops by splitting the hard drive until Windows 10 OS. Each time I tried to split the hard drive and load Linux the computer crashed and I had to reload Windows 10 totally to get it working again. I am still using my old Dell desktop with the Linux OS. It is more reliable at times than the new Dell laptops with Windows 10 OS. The Dell laptops work fine, it is MS Windows 10 that has caused problems with them.

I bought this laptop (new) in good faith. I even thought upgrading the system would be beneficial; but alas it was not. The system is slower than before and should one want to contact Dell for ANY customer support it is next to impossible to talk to someone. When I attempted to find an email address to contact either Dell or Windows it was a total nightmare. One representative I talked to told me "in order to assist you further we will need $200". Totally outrageous, I live month to month on a meager social security check. This money does not go far when you need to see specialty doctors, feed oneself, buy gas for a car, buy medications that are not covered by one's insurance (meaning above Tier 1 or 2) etc. I have Windows 10 also installed. That, unfortunately, was the biggest mistake that I did. because when the company decides an update is in order the entire system is shut down, and on an average takes at least an hour to get it running again.

Windows 10 is constantly installing "new" screen savers, to which I have replied "not a big fan" but yet it remains on the screen. Finally, I have asked "is there a way to have a battery that lasts longer or better yet have a new battery installed?" That request was over (6) six weeks ago and have heard nothing from either Dell or Windows. This computer (laptop) is nothing but a total nightmare. After the most recent "update" there was no icon on how to turn off the computer and the battery was CONSTANTLY in need of recharging. After numerous attempts by myself I figured out what was necessary to turn off the computer. Shouldn't there be a way to preserve the life of the battery that is originally installed. I contacted a computer repair shop and to my shock was told "most laptop computer batteries if you are lucky will diminish over time and once they are worn out (no time element mentioned) one will need to replaced the computer."

I ordered a laptop for my wife as a surprise for Christmas. Before I placed the order, the website said it would be here before Christmas. As soon as I placed the order, the date was changed to after Christmas. Scam! I tried canceling within 12 hours and they said it was already too late to cancel. Scam! Then I told them not to call my home number as I did not want my wife to know, but they called today so now the surprise I was planning is gone. This company has the worst support I have ever experienced. The support people are not well trained and hard to understand. This has been such a huge disappointment.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Dell, now renamed Dell Technologies, is a computer company that was founded in Round Rock, Texas in 1984. Dell was started with the goal of making technologies like computers more accessible and affordable to consumers. Dell's various lines of laptops can fit consumer needs from basic application functions to business solutions.

• Inspiron 3000: Dell’s Inspiron 3000 series is an ultra-portable 2-in-1 laptop series designed to perform basic computer functions.
  • Inspiron 5000: The Inspiron 5000 is a 2-in-1 laptop that is capable of displays at stronger resolutions due to a more powerful processor than the basic model.
  • Inspiron 7000: The Inspiron 7000 is a high-performance laptop capable of running more taxing applications and some light gaming. The Inspiron 7000 15 is Dell’s most powerful Inspiron model.
  • XPS: The Dell XPS is a laptop designed for powerhouse visual quality. They are built to be durable despite their thin size.
  • Chromebook: Dell’s Chromebook 11 and Chromebook 13 are lightweight computers designed for home or business use.
  • Best for Dell laptops are best for casual users, home offices and businesses.

Compare Computer Brands