Learn More
Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.90/5

Dell was founded in the early 1980s and was a pioneer in the home computer and technology industry. It has been a leader in high-tech computers, monitors, workstations, tablets, printers and laptops for decades.

BOTTOM LINE

Dell is a worldwide leader in computers, monitors, systems, laptops, printers and innovative technology. It offers a wide range of stylish laptops perfect for school, home and business.

PROS

• High-end features available
  • Multiple price points
  • Wide range of models

CONS

• Heavier than some other laptops
  • Budget laptops can break easily

Top Dell Laptops Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dell Laptops?

I have had Dell forever. They are very sturdy and you can trust them. My kids dropped them several times and they keep working. For college students they are a plus because come in many different formats. Very good job Dell. You have here a well satisfied customer. Thanks.

This has been a very good laptop. Good battery life, and great features. I would buy one again. I went from a desktop computer to this laptop, and never looked back. this is a laptop with many features that most computers do not have.

Dell Laptops Learn More

Unsubscribe at any time.

What is Dell?

Dell offers laptops for work and home, and its products include features that are important to students, fast-paced professionals and entrepreneurs. Some of the most popular laptops are:

• Dell XPS 13: This 2.8-pound laptop has an extended battery life and an attractive and sleek exterior frame. The screen is close to borderless, which adds flair to the design. It has a large screen, comfortable keyboard and 10th-generation Intel Core i7 processor
    • Dell XPS 15: This 4.5-pound laptop has an industrial design and high-level graphics performance. The keys and touchpad are larger than most other models, and it has a four-border InfinityEdge bezel on the screen.
    • Dell Inspiron 15 3000: This 4.96-pound laptop can replace many people’s desktop computers. It’s bulkier and heavier than some other laptops, but it offers a strong build, 6 GB of memory and an eight-hour battery. For the price (around $329), it is a solid laptop with basic features and a sleek design
    • Alienware M17: This 5.8-pound laptop is great for gaming because it features a ninth-generation Intel Core processor and DDR4 RAM. It comes in a variety of configurations that meet the needs of the serious gamer. While the battery life only lasts an average of 2½ hours for moderate gaming use, the slim design, dark colors and high-resolution display are added perks. This gaming computer starts at $1,349.99, and customized laptops can cost up to $4,229.99

How do Dell laptops work?

Dell laptops range from budget desktop replacement computers to sleek and innovative gaming PCs. Dell’s expansive line of computers lets you pick and choose the features that are important to you.

• Memory: Dell laptops come with many different memory options, ranging from 4 GB of RAM to 64 GB.
    • Storage: Storage drive sizes range from 500 GB to 2 TB and up.
    • Operating system: Dell laptops come with four different operating system options: Windows 10, Linux Ubuntu, Chrome and Chrome Enterprise Upgrade.
    • Display: Screen sizes range from 11 inches to 17 inches. There are touch screen and non-touch screen options. You can also choose the display resolution that works best for your eyes, ranging from HD and HD+ to Full HD, Full HD+, 4K and UHD+.
    • Processor: Dell laptops use seventh generation Intel Core to 10th generation Intel Core processors.
    • Life span: The average life span of a Dell laptop is three to five years.

Dell laptops prices

Dell laptops offer innovative, streamlined computers made for work, personal use and school. The most budget-friendly Dell laptops average around $350 to $400, while premium models, such as the Dell Alienware M15, can retail for over $2,000.

Consumers who want the style and functionality of a Dell laptop without paying retail prices can purchase refurbished laptops, desktops, monitors and servers at the online Dell Outlet. These refurbished laptops are 15% less than new computers and have the same impressive specs.

Dell also offers a price-match guarantee. If you find a lower-priced (and similarly configured) computer, tablet or monitor advertised online, Dell matches the price. It doesn't matter if it is from Dell, HP, Lenovo or Apple — Dell will match it.

Here are some of the most popular Dell laptops and the average cost at the time of publishing:

ModelPrice
    Dell XPS 13$1,149
    Dell XPS 15$1,299
    Dell Inspiron 15 3000$229
    Dell Precision 5750 Mobile Workstation$1,879
    Alienware M17$1,599

Dell laptops FAQ

Where are Dell laptops made?
    Dell computers are made in factories all across the world, including Ireland, Brazil, China, Malaysia and the U.S.
    Are Dell laptops good for gaming?
    Dell has specific laptops that are geared toward gamers. Dell computers aren’t specifically gaming computers, but its Alienware brand is a popular choice for gamers looking for power and speed.
    Do Dell laptops come with Microsoft Office?
    Yes. Most Dell laptops are equipped with a basic version of Office named Starter and can be upgraded to a more advanced version of Microsoft Office.
    Are Dell laptops reliable?
    Yes. Dell laptops are reliable, made of high-quality materials and have long battery life. They’ve been a trusted tool for students, business owners, bloggers and entrepreneurs for decades.

Are Dell laptops good?

Yes. Dell laptops are high-quality computers with strong batteries, sleek designs, high-end internal hardware and a variety of extras that make them a convenient tool for work or business. Dell laptops are sleek and portable, and there are many models to choose from to suit your needs and budget.

Dell Laptops Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dell Laptops?

Original review: June 15, 2020

I bought a new all in one Dell for myself that I basically use as a desktop but it is also able to be used as a laptop on battery power. It is touch screen and saves a lot of room! My husband bought a refurbished dell desktop and he loves it. Very fast and reliable. I have literally messed up so many computers prior to getting a dell that we ended up trashing them and buying another one that might last a year or two. My dell is over 5 years old now and my husbands is over 4 years old. Both are going strong and we are now dedicated 'dell' fans!

Original review: June 12, 2020

My Dell computers are reliable, and the support is excellent. Whenever I have had a problem, Dell support has had a solution even at odd hours. The website is easy to use and if you are looking for a specific item you can find it quickly. The sales department is friendly and helpful as well. Dell offers a wide variety of products in addition to just laptop computers. I have two Dell laptops and have had very few problems. The also have a diagnostic you can run to improve performance and check for updates. These are very good computers.

Get buying tips about Computer Brands delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.

Original review: June 10, 2020

Dell computers are reasonably priced, especially from 3rd party sellers such as Costco, where I got my XPS 8700 for $350 less than on Dell site (the savings would also pay for nearly 6 years of future Costco membership renewals!). When these gets older & needs repair, parts are readily available on eBay at very low prices, as are upgrades to the CPU, GPU, etc. Although today with laptops, all OEM's usually has the CPU & one stick of RAM soldered in place, if not all. Still one can upgrade their mini tower PC with ease. Have purchased several business or enterprise computers with physical TPM for securing drives for 5% or less of original price (last one was $105 for an over $3,000 as shipped 5 year old Optiplex PC).

Original review: June 9, 2020

I have used Dell laptops for years and built my own desktops. I have found Dell laptops to be very reliable, easy to use, great features and reasonably priced. They are also easy to upgrade. There are several online vendors which specialize in Dell upgrades and repair parts. The best deals on Dell laptops and tablets is to purchase from a quality aftermarket dealer of Dell computers. I have purchased many of my Dell laptops from **. I have never had a problem from this vendor and they offer a one year warranty on the Dell products they sell.

Original review: June 6, 2020

I was a HP diehard user until about 5 years ago when I received my first Dell I have been in love ever since. They run well have excellent customer service and stand behind their warranty. I use one for my business and one for every day games and life I can't begin to sing the praises of how well they work. Lots of memory and storage even for the less expensive ones. You can't go wrong owning a Dell. Easy to set up right out the box. Dell makes sure you keep it updated. And if for some chance you have trouble just call for a customer service rep to happily walk you through your problem.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2020

I went on to Dell.com less than a year ago and built a Dell laptop to my specifications and had all the software pre-installed. This laptop cost me close to $1000.00 after all was added to my specs and but I did receive a $100. rebate gift card. So the Laptop from day one was not exactly what I'd expected, I was used to my old Dell which was great but was so old it finally died a natural death (hard drive went) and rather than replace it I ordered the new Dell Inspiron 15 3000 series 3593 which was nothing but problems from day one. The day after I received it I should have shipped it back. So anyway the issues began to get worse and I wasn't able to troubleshoot them anymore and then suddenly one day Aug. 25, 2020 I went to start up the laptop and it would not boot up, nothing. The screen was just black then would turn blue when I tried to turn it off and back on.

I called DELL Tech support's number and was told the wait time could be up to 45 min to 65 mins., this went on for 3 days. I emailed them and asked for someone to call me when they were available and I received an automated reply, finally by the 28th I spoke to someone whom told did some over the phone troubleshooting to no avail and he stated that it must the hard drive or motherboard which is covered under the warranty, a Dell Tech would come to my home and check it out, it took days but a Tech did (I could not understand one word he spoke) but I figured out that he knew it was NOT a hardware problem, I had him write it on the service order in plain simple terms.

He stated that it most likely was a Software issue, So when he left I contacted DELL support again which took many, many calls and wait time. I was transferred from one Tech to another at least 4 time before anyone knew what they were doing, they kept telling me they were transferring me to Software Tech Support and I kept getting routed to Hardware Tech, come to find out there is NO direct transferring or phone number for Software Tech support!

I sent them a threatening email as I meant business, I was done fooling around on the phone each day waiting for a call and with limited access to my husband's laptop it wasn't easy to communicate by email, which they think I can do with a NON working laptop. I explained in the email that if something were not done asap that I was going to get advice from my Brother in law whom is a local Attorney and very good friends with the NYS Attorney General right here in my home town and I gave them his name, number and address as I was not joking around.

I received a call within 30 minutes of that email being sent. I was told that DELL would escalate my issue But any Software problems are NOT covered under the DELL warranty whether I bought it last week or last year, Software issues are not covered and I would have to pay a $99.00 fee to have the laptop checked out to see what the problem is. I was at my wit's end, discouraged and not ready to toss out a new laptop so I agreed to sent it out to this so called Dell Depot, I had a box sent to me the next day. I sent it, it was received and from what I see by the Dell Depot transcript it seem like they looked at it the day they received it, checked it out and the same day sent it back to me, as I am getting it back today 9/10/ 2020.

I can get no more info on it and almost afraid to get it back as it doesn't state they fixed it on the online report. I don't think there is any communication between techs and I know that they do not know what they are doing. I am so upset that I paid money for a laptop, have had it less than a year and it is NOT warranted if a Software issue, If they were to have to replace my hard drive all my pre-installed Software will be gone and I will have to start from scratch, this is just wrong.

I will never, ever buy another DELL, I am using an HP at this time and it's really quite good, actually my first Desktop way back was an HP and never a problem still have it and it still works but not set up for the internet. So, if you are thinking of getting a new computer think twice if your thinking about a DELL, Their Customer, Technical, Hardware, Software and Warranty are useless and I expected more from Dell. They have dropped down on the list of the top computer to buy and I can see why, they are built cheap and the components are only meant to last a year and mine didn't even make it that long.

Dell expects you to buy a new computer each year and I am not one to do that. I have the report from the date I sent from the date it's being returned, I don't see what they did or if they fixed it, it makes no sense to me. I could only copy and paste what you will see from what I could get from the Dell site, I will try to include it below. FYI: They received it on the 8th and I am receiving it back today Sept. 10, I am in upper NY State and it was shipped to Texas!

"We’ve shipped your system back to your return address. You can track the return shipment here with tracking number ** or visit the Track Dispatch link to the right. - Hide history.

08 Sep 2020 19:54

We started repairing your system.

08 Sep 2020 15:06

We began diagnosing your system for repairs.

08 Sep 2020 12:55

Your system was received intact.

04 Sep 2020 12:52

Shipping materials delivered."

Original review: Sept. 8, 2020

I have owned several Dell laptops and must say I loved all of them. Have purchased them from Best Buy and Walmart. This time I purchased directly from Dell, a NEW XPS 15 Creator Edition. I want to upgrade storage but the empty SSD slot does not come with the screw to secure the M.2 2280 NVMe SSD. I am trying to contact Dell but that is an endless maze of dead ends and very long waiting times. Terrible support. Not even worth one star!

Original review: Sept. 2, 2020

After only two years of owning my Dell Inspiron, my laptop had hardware issues that caused my computer to malfunction; my keyboard would light up, but the screen remained black. The whole experience with Dell has been beyond frustrating. After dealing with customer service (I will tell you that in a minute), I was finally told it was a hardware issue, and if I send it in, they will fix it. I spent $40 to send it in, then I chose to spend the $260.00 they quoted me to fix it, and I spent another $80 for an extended warranty. A week later, my laptop was returned, UN-REPAIRED, with THE SAME PROBLEM!

When I tried to call customer service, I was told it is a United States holiday (it is not, today is Wednesday, September 2) and the the customer service department is closed. Every time I have tried to contact Dell, I get put through an inefficient automated system that directed me in circles, got placed on hold for too long, and eventually talked to someone in India who would transfer me again. Dell has caused me so much wasted time, wasted money, stress, and anxiety. The issue remains unresolved. I expected more from Dell.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2020

I purchased a XPS 15 and it is the worst piece of garbage I could ever have, after barely 1 year and a half my battery stopped working out of the blue and the extended warranty (almost more than 200) didn't cover the battery at all. To cancel the order was a ordeal. Never ever I will buy from Dell again.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2020

I bought a Dell Inspiron directly from Dell.com in 2018, which is about two years old now. The laptop has been very slow ever since I bought it. I never returned it even though I never loved it, because it was our secondary machine. I hardly ever use, but now, it won't charge, and the warranty has expired. Dell wants $39 just to diagnose the problem, plus whatever it costs to fix it. Who knows what they'll charge for that. It could literally be any amount. The customer no-service rep lacked empathy and did nothing to help me. This is the first and last Dell I'll ever own, and I suggest that you never have a first Dell.

Dell Laptops Company Information