3.38/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

77 Dell Desktops Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

Six weeks ago I called Dell to have my computer work done remotely. They said that there was absolutely nothing wrong with my hard drive or my software and that it was a motherboard issue with the internal battery. They recommended sending the computer into the Dell service repair center. So I did. They called to tell me that they replaced the motherboard and a graphics card. They sent a computer back to me. The computer now does not even turn on. I sent the computer back in and they said that the hard drive needed to be erased and reinstall the software. I said that the hard drive was not backed up because Dell told me that it was not a hardware issue. They said that they would install a new hard drive and send the old hard drive back to me so I could do data recover on it later. They ended up just sending me back the computer in the same shape that it was in when it left. They fixed nothing.

So I called again and send a computer in again, it is now been almost 2 months. I finally got somebody on the phone and talk to them and told them to put in a new hard drive and send the old hard drive back to me. They did exactly that they took an old hard drive and put it in my computer and send it back to me. I was running Windows 10. Now the computer is running Windows 8. After the first try of loading a website the computer crashed and now I have a blue screen and nothing works.

I would never ever recommend buying a Dell product again or trying to use Dell customer service. The repair center in Houston, Texas is absolutely ridiculous. You cannot actually talk to anybody who’s actually working on your computer. You have to go through a separate department. This is the most ridiculous situation that I’ve ever been in. I am disputing all of the charges with my credit card company and not paying a dime. My computer is completely worthless now and I have to buy a new computer. Guess what, I am never buying a Dell again. I am furious at Dell. Do not buy a Dell or use the Dell repair service!

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

Tried to post this bad review on their website but it was moderated as “inappropriate”. What a sleazy company. I purchased this directly through Dell to get me through my senior year of college. It was a 512GB SSD w/ 4k. I’m a mechanical engineer so I use it for moderate tasks and occasional heavy modeling/simulation. As a note, it isn’t as impressive as you would think for SolidWorks as the graphics card isn’t compatible, it’d run equally as well on a computer 1/3rd the price that has a graphics card that’s SolidWorks compatible. I can forgive that since I should have done the research, but what I can forgive is that it broke 3 times in one year - on the dot every 4 months.

I take extremely good care of my stuff, always had it in a case and set it down gently - this was nearly a year’s worth of savings for me at the time so it was my baby. I started off with a 9550 with the same specs and ended up with a 9560. The first time it’d bluescreen randomly in the middle of working on a project... Hardware diagnostics came up clean until it’d bluescreen every hour at which point we found a faulty SSD. Sent it in for repairs using the expedited method (which should take 3-5 days) and it took 2 WEEKS and nearly 8 phone calls which all took over 1 hour. They replaced the SSD and 3 months later it’d get HOT, I mean too hot to even touch, and battery life would be 1 hour just sitting at an idle with fan on max.

Here we go again, nearly 10 hours on the phone cumulatively with a person from India, a 2-3 weeks wait time on “expedited” and the repair cost was beyond the cost of the laptop. Their solution was to send me a 9560 that obviously had better specs, so I wasn’t going to complain and was pleasantly surprised. 3-4 months later with the 9560 (out of warranty) and it's doing the thing again where it overheats with a 1-2 hour battery life. I’m going to use it until it catches fire but the $2k I spend on this thing probably would have been better spent in Vegas or something...

Get expert buying tips about Computer Brands delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

Dell did a wonderful job fixing my Windows 10 laptop. After trying on the phone for 2 weeks I had it back in 3 days and so far it's great. I don't believe all those bad reviews. I always have good luck. Thank you Dell.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

I bought a new Inspiron 3655 in November 2017. Five weeks later it would not restart, and I contacted Dell Support and followed the instructions from the on-line Dell tech. After various at-home diagnostics failed, it was sent for repair. Upon its return, it worked for 24 hours and again failed to restart. (Windows 10 does not open.) I contacted Dell Support, and the cycle repeated. This has happened a total of 8 times, and I am done. I was informed that Dell will only replace a new computer within 4 weeks of purchase.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

This is the 2nd Dell All in One I bought. It is also the last one I buy. Won't get into a lot of detail because it would take too long. It runs terrible. Just now took 10 mins to load. But first it wouldn't even come on even though the power was on. Nothing on the screen just black. Powered off and back on, took at least 10 mins to come up. this computer is only 5 or 6 months old. With all the latest anti virus SW. The first one didn't last that long before it started screwing up. Bottom line I don't like it.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dell Desktops?

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

Took over an hour to find someone who would take a tax exempt order for two computers. Finally placed the order and then in a few days found that the shipping date had been pushed back almost two weeks. Contacted Dell to see if they would upgrade shipping on the unit and was told no. Never had this problem with HP and will never use Dell products again.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

I purchased a gaming desktop computer from Dell in March 2018. It arrived in April broken, was serviced but not fixed. Was send in for repairs. They kept the machine for 6 weeks. The replacement broke in less than two and a half months. Currently my GPU is cooking my CPU. I've made requests to have it looked at.

They've failed to call twice on days I was available. They are not replying to my e-mails. Never buy a computer from Dell. It's a scam. They don't care about their customers, they just want your money.

Original review: July 26, 2018

Bought the computer (Dell Optiplex 9020)... Dell failed to fix the unit using their online diagnostics technicians. Dell then sent a technician to the house who replaced the motherboard, the hard drive, the operating system 2x, and finally they replaced the Intel i7 with an Intel i5 and the computer still shuts down and reboots without warning. The unit's warranty period has expired and Dell keeps telling me it's my problem unless I pay more money to have them not to fix my computer. The company is too big to care... will never buy a Dell product again. I bought the unit because of the i7 inside and now I don't even have that.

Original review: July 14, 2018

Purchased XPS 8910 Dec. 2016. Approximately 6 months later, one USB port stopped working. After Dell tech support spent about an hour trying to troubleshoot over the phone, under warranty a Dell subcontractor was sent to my house and merely replaced the motherboard. Approximately 6 months later, I experienced Groundhog Day, including the motherboard replacement. Approximately 6 months later, the USB port quit again. At this point I started asking Dell tech support why this was repeating. They said they didn't know, the solution was to replace the motherboard again, they never showed any interest in determining why the problem kept recurring. They offered for the tower to be sent to Dell Depot Repair Facility; where detailed troubleshooting would occur. That's where things started smelling fishy...

The Depot website indicated that the motherboard was replaced and the unit sent back to me. However, Dell tech support told me that their report from the Depot facility didn't find anything wrong, so the unit was merely shipped back to me. Not wanting a computer where the motherboard needs to be replaced every 6 months, I finally asked for a refund, but they said 'No', as the unit was more than 30 days old.

Unfortunately, the unit was not packed properly at the Depot facility and was damaged in shipment to me - breaking off the top cover, bending metal contact under the top cover, breaking off the DVD drive cover, popping off the side cover, and who knows what. I sent pictures to Dell tech support, and they wanted me to send the unit back to Depot to have it repaired. I haven't bothered to turn the unit on to see if anything internal is broken. At this point, I'm cutting my losses (too much wasted time and aggravation). I'm trashing all of my Dell products, and finding a new vendor. Dell doesn't care about product quality or customer satisfaction.

Original review: June 23, 2018

Purchased new. Problematic! Will not boot fully, needs repeated starts to accomplish full on. Has occurred multiple times. System is maintained. My HP was better.

Original review: June 22, 2018

Purchased a wireless keyboard and mouse along with a computer. It took a few weeks to get here and it took me a few weeks to set it up. On approx day 31 I started complaining that the keyboard and mouse were not working and had to constantly shut them off and turn them back on. This went on for a month with reps having me download, reload and do all sorts of things, rather than just accepting what tons of reviews could have told them - the product was a POS.

Now when asking for a refund or a switch to another product - still willing to use a Dell product - they tell me no refund, not even a restocking refund, and they'll send me the same mouse and keyboard. I'm waiting for them to tell me that I have to first pay for the new one - which I'm going to throw out anyway, before they'll take the old one back. They're totally tone-deaf when it comes to customer service. I like the computer, but I wouldn't buy a peripheral from Dell ever again.

Original review: June 21, 2018

I have purchase my first Dell Desktop in 2003. The last time I bought a Dell Desktop was in 2010. Not only does the computer still works but I have had no problem with it. As of right now it loads up faster than my new laptop that I purchase last year. I was going to replace but it works fine for my needs.

Original review: June 19, 2018

I have been using this Dell desktop (Model 4550) updated to 7 Professional. It works very slow and some time image sticks. I am thinking to change to update model. I also have Dell laptop Inspiron 1420 which works O.K.

Original review: June 18, 2018

If and when I decide to buy a new computer, I am very sure it will be Dell. I have not had any serious problems with this computer so I am very satisfied with this company. Nothing negative to say about Dell at this time.

Original review: June 16, 2018

I have had excellent results buying the Dell brand of computers. I have, over the years, purchased 5 or more desktops and servers and the company has always had great prices, great service and great shipping processes. The support although almost never needed has been excellent the few times I had to call.

Original review: June 15, 2018

I had a really slow Dell and was basically connected to people with little English speaking understanding as they spoke too fast. They didn't match my speed computer at the time. Had no help from Dell.

Original review: June 14, 2018

Reliable and client friendly. Has easy to learn features, great software options, extended hardware peripherals, excellent customer service support, and great color options.

Original review: June 13, 2018

At present I use a Dell desktop at work, it isn't the fastest computer by all means, even less so after the installation of Windows 10. I think now is a good time to exchange this for a advance computer.

Original review: June 13, 2018

Not the easiest to set up a hard drive transfer but the I.T. Guy did it in ~2 hrs. I am technologically impaired so don't go by my experience or lack thereof. Nevertheless, Dell desktop is sturdy and was affordable, and that's what I needed.

Original review: June 12, 2018

I bought my Dell touchscreen as a refurb from the company about 2013-2014 as I was running on older system which finally crashed. Initially I had a bad screen which had an issue with a line on top. Dell sent a tech and finally determined that it would require a replace and they did! Well it operates quite well for me and does everything I need to do as a non gamer adult. Props to Dell for backing the product!

Original review: June 12, 2018

Dell performance is about average but is overpriced for their capability. HP computers are generally better than Dell and cost less for equal capability.

Original review: June 11, 2018

My experience with my Dell desktop is awesome. I can use it as a T.V., download my documents, share my tablet information to my computer. I had my Dell for seven years now.

Original review: June 10, 2018

I have always bought Dell Computers. This is the third one that I have had. So far I have not had any major problems with them. Very satisfied with Dell.

Original review: June 9, 2018

The Dell brand has a good name. It is easy to tear apart and work on if hardware problems occur. I normally use Windows 7 on the older setup because I also like to play with Linux and the newer windows systems have changed things to make it awkward to setup. We have a totally corrupted legal system because what they did is definitely a violation of antitrust and not one peep out of the government. I refer to the software from Microsoft not Dell. Though Dell does cooperate with Microsoft in this matter.

Original review: June 7, 2018

I use my Dell desktop for email, and searches. I rarely have to contact Dell techs for help. It is reliable and usually trouble-free. I would recommend Dell to anyone.

Original review: June 6, 2018

Dell products has generally given me good service down thru the years. I have owned 3 units and all have done well. Customer service has been excellent also. I also like the fact several service firms can work on them with very little trouble.

Original review: June 5, 2018

Dell works very well. Depend on computer consultants for virus protection and check computer once or twice yearly, IT Management. Last for a long time. Suggest Computer Repair Consultants to check each 2 times yearly to last longer.

Original review: June 4, 2018

I use my computer 8-10 hours per day with no problems. It is fast and user-friendly. My children have been able to use the computer for homework and internet searches with ease.

Original review: June 3, 2018

When my Dell computer last summer stopped working the technician said nothing could be done and pushed me to buy a new one. He should have asked a few questions before getting me to buy a new computer. Didn't get one that was equivalent to the previous one.

Original review: June 2, 2018

Bought the computer in August 2017. It crashed on the day we set it up, it crashed 5 more times by the end of November 2017. Bluetooth keyboard failed. Never replaced. Bluetooth speakers replaced 5 times. Last ones were not Bluetooth. Tech support was sometimes nice other times rude and hung-up on me. Had to threaten financial dept. with non-payment before the hard drive was replaced.

Dell Desktops Company Information