3.92/5
Based on 70 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

70 Dell Desktops Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 26, 2018

Bought the computer (Dell Optiplex 9020)... Dell failed to fix the unit using their online diagnostics technicians. Dell then sent a technician to the house who replaced the motherboard, the hard drive, the operating system 2x, and finally they replaced the Intel i7 with an Intel i5 and the computer still shuts down and reboots without warning. The unit's warranty period has expired and Dell keeps telling me it's my problem unless I pay more money to have them not to fix my computer. The company is too big to care... will never buy a Dell product again. I bought the unit because of the i7 inside and now I don't even have that.

Original review: July 14, 2018

Purchased XPS 8910 Dec. 2016. Approximately 6 months later, one USB port stopped working. After Dell tech support spent about an hour trying to troubleshoot over the phone, under warranty a Dell subcontractor was sent to my house and merely replaced the motherboard. Approximately 6 months later, I experienced Groundhog Day, including the motherboard replacement. Approximately 6 months later, the USB port quit again. At this point I started asking Dell tech support why this was repeating. They said they didn't know, the solution was to replace the motherboard again, they never showed any interest in determining why the problem kept recurring. They offered for the tower to be sent to Dell Depot Repair Facility; where detailed troubleshooting would occur. That's where things started smelling fishy...

The Depot website indicated that the motherboard was replaced and the unit sent back to me. However, Dell tech support told me that their report from the Depot facility didn't find anything wrong, so the unit was merely shipped back to me. Not wanting a computer where the motherboard needs to be replaced every 6 months, I finally asked for a refund, but they said 'No', as the unit was more than 30 days old.

Unfortunately, the unit was not packed properly at the Depot facility and was damaged in shipment to me - breaking off the top cover, bending metal contact under the top cover, breaking off the DVD drive cover, popping off the side cover, and who knows what. I sent pictures to Dell tech support, and they wanted me to send the unit back to Depot to have it repaired. I haven't bothered to turn the unit on to see if anything internal is broken. At this point, I'm cutting my losses (too much wasted time and aggravation). I'm trashing all of my Dell products, and finding a new vendor. Dell doesn't care about product quality or customer satisfaction.

Get expert buying tips about Computer Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 23, 2018

Purchased new. Problematic! Will not boot fully, needs repeated starts to accomplish full on. Has occurred multiple times. System is maintained. My HP was better.

Original review: June 22, 2018

Purchased a wireless keyboard and mouse along with a computer. It took a few weeks to get here and it took me a few weeks to set it up. On approx day 31 I started complaining that the keyboard and mouse were not working and had to constantly shut them off and turn them back on. This went on for a month with reps having me download, reload and do all sorts of things, rather than just accepting what tons of reviews could have told them - the product was a POS.

Now when asking for a refund or a switch to another product - still willing to use a Dell product - they tell me no refund, not even a restocking refund, and they'll send me the same mouse and keyboard. I'm waiting for them to tell me that I have to first pay for the new one - which I'm going to throw out anyway, before they'll take the old one back. They're totally tone-deaf when it comes to customer service. I like the computer, but I wouldn't buy a peripheral from Dell ever again.

Original review: June 21, 2018

I have purchase my first Dell Desktop in 2003. The last time I bought a Dell Desktop was in 2010. Not only does the computer still works but I have had no problem with it. As of right now it loads up faster than my new laptop that I purchase last year. I was going to replace but it works fine for my needs.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dell Desktops?

Original review: June 19, 2018

I have been using this Dell desktop (Model 4550) updated to 7 Professional. It works very slow and some time image sticks. I am thinking to change to update model. I also have Dell laptop Inspiron 1420 which works O.K.

Original review: June 18, 2018

If and when I decide to buy a new computer, I am very sure it will be Dell. I have not had any serious problems with this computer so I am very satisfied with this company. Nothing negative to say about Dell at this time.

Original review: June 16, 2018

I have had excellent results buying the Dell brand of computers. I have, over the years, purchased 5 or more desktops and servers and the company has always had great prices, great service and great shipping processes. The support although almost never needed has been excellent the few times I had to call.

Original review: June 15, 2018

I had a really slow Dell and was basically connected to people with little English speaking understanding as they spoke too fast. They didn't match my speed computer at the time. Had no help from Dell.

Original review: June 14, 2018

Reliable and client friendly. Has easy to learn features, great software options, extended hardware peripherals, excellent customer service support, and great color options.

Original review: June 13, 2018

At present I use a Dell desktop at work, it isn't the fastest computer by all means, even less so after the installation of Windows 10. I think now is a good time to exchange this for a advance computer.

Original review: June 13, 2018

Not the easiest to set up a hard drive transfer but the I.T. Guy did it in ~2 hrs. I am technologically impaired so don't go by my experience or lack thereof. Nevertheless, Dell desktop is sturdy and was affordable, and that's what I needed.

Original review: June 12, 2018

I bought my Dell touchscreen as a refurb from the company about 2013-2014 as I was running on older system which finally crashed. Initially I had a bad screen which had an issue with a line on top. Dell sent a tech and finally determined that it would require a replace and they did! Well it operates quite well for me and does everything I need to do as a non gamer adult. Props to Dell for backing the product!

Original review: June 12, 2018

Dell performance is about average but is overpriced for their capability. HP computers are generally better than Dell and cost less for equal capability.

Original review: June 11, 2018

My experience with my Dell desktop is awesome. I can use it as a T.V., download my documents, share my tablet information to my computer. I had my Dell for seven years now.

Original review: June 10, 2018

I have always bought Dell Computers. This is the third one that I have had. So far I have not had any major problems with them. Very satisfied with Dell.

Original review: June 9, 2018

The Dell brand has a good name. It is easy to tear apart and work on if hardware problems occur. I normally use Windows 7 on the older setup because I also like to play with Linux and the newer windows systems have changed things to make it awkward to setup. We have a totally corrupted legal system because what they did is definitely a violation of antitrust and not one peep out of the government. I refer to the software from Microsoft not Dell. Though Dell does cooperate with Microsoft in this matter.

Original review: June 7, 2018

I use my Dell desktop for email, and searches. I rarely have to contact Dell techs for help. It is reliable and usually trouble-free. I would recommend Dell to anyone.

Original review: June 6, 2018

Dell products has generally given me good service down thru the years. I have owned 3 units and all have done well. Customer service has been excellent also. I also like the fact several service firms can work on them with very little trouble.

Original review: June 5, 2018

Dell works very well. Depend on computer consultants for virus protection and check computer once or twice yearly, IT Management. Last for a long time. Suggest Computer Repair Consultants to check each 2 times yearly to last longer.

Original review: June 4, 2018

I use my computer 8-10 hours per day with no problems. It is fast and user-friendly. My children have been able to use the computer for homework and internet searches with ease.

Original review: June 3, 2018

When my Dell computer last summer stopped working the technician said nothing could be done and pushed me to buy a new one. He should have asked a few questions before getting me to buy a new computer. Didn't get one that was equivalent to the previous one.

Original review: June 2, 2018

Bought the computer in August 2017. It crashed on the day we set it up, it crashed 5 more times by the end of November 2017. Bluetooth keyboard failed. Never replaced. Bluetooth speakers replaced 5 times. Last ones were not Bluetooth. Tech support was sometimes nice other times rude and hung-up on me. Had to threaten financial dept. with non-payment before the hard drive was replaced.

Original review: June 2, 2018

The best desktop PC I have had. Had not any trouble yet and easy to use. Fits anywhere and very good material. Good brand. Would buy again.

Original review: June 1, 2018

I have used Dell computers for many years. I keep going back to the brand as they have a great warranty and stand behind the products they sell. I have tried several other brands and have been disappointed.

Original review: May 31, 2018

I purchased Dell's post warranty yearly program for less than $100.00 and it has been the best value proposition ever where my computers have been involved. Super professional, excellent English speaking techs and the problem is usually resolved within an hour... I call the #800 number and it's as simple as that.

Original review: May 30, 2018

My Dell computer is an all in one. First had a problem with the speakers but they send a tech to the house. We had to buy the extended service. Has been workable for 3 years.

Original review: May 29, 2018

I have never had any problems with my Dell computer in the 10+ years that I have used it. Dell is the only computer that I have ever owned. When I order from Dell, they are very supportive and always have the right price for me.

Original review: May 28, 2018

I have had a Dell desktop and a Dell printer for 10 years. They are used daily and only on very rare occasions have I had a problem with them and what is very important, they are very economical to utilize.

Original review: May 27, 2018

This is my second DELL computer and I must say I have never had a problem with DELL. I have only called their tech line once and frankly was quite disappointed at the lack of simple knowledge they provided. In fact, I had to figure it out on my own. It should be stated that this was more than 15 years ago. So, my impression of DELL is quite favourable.

Dell Desktops Company Information

www.dell.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business