3.51/5

329 Canon Printers Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 27, 2019

We bought a Canon Maxify MB2320 about three years ago. It has been serving our home needs perfectly. Sometime while I was gone on vacation for a week, a document my husband printed caused a paper jam. When I got home, I removed the very crinkled paper easily. However, after that the output was very faint and had horizontal stripes of just blankness. Then after a couple of pages, nothing would print at all - the entire page was blank.

Referring to the user guide, I tried several maintenance steps. The output improved. A horizontal stripe of about 1" would be fine - clear, crisp, no streaks. But then a stripe of about 1/2" would be totally blank. I got frustrated reading the manual, and didn't find any help online, so I called Canon printer tech support. The rep was fantastic. He listened to my description, and acted as if he believed me. He didn't waste time or ink making me repeat steps I'd already done (as too many phone support people do).

From the description of the problem and the steps I'd already done, he suggested one more step - deep cleaning the heads. That took a couple of minutes to complete, and it solved the problem. Hurray! I'm thrilled. When we were done, he offered to send me free ink to make up for what I'd used doing the various cleanings, tests, and alignments. I'm always happy to get free ink. Also, he seemed to be a native American English speaker, so communication was not an issue. I am thrilled with my interaction. One of the best phone tech support experiences I've ever had. Thanks, Canon.

Original review: June 20, 2018

I like the Canon printer, however the cartridges don’t last long enough for the price. The amount of ink that is put into their cartridges isn’t worth $1.00, yet they charge about 20.00 to 25.00 for a cartridge. They should make it easier for the customer to fill their own cartridge and there would not be so much wasted cartridges in our landfills. They can do it, but are making so much money off cartridges. I don’t think they care. I can buy a new printer with a cartridge for about the same amount as the cost of their cartridges. Way too much waste.

Get expert buying tips about Printers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 9, 2018

Best and most reliable MFP that I have EVER owned (seriously). The only issue was dirty rollers after about a year and the utility clean them right up and no other issues since. I will typically burn through a printer in about a year and a half. This MX922 is going on 2 and a half and works perfect and prints better pictures than my Kodak! (No wonder they're dying). I never thought I would give a perfect review to a printer, but this one earned it. I have bought all the different brands and they were all crap except for the Laser Jet.

Original review: June 3, 2018

I bought a Canon ImageCLASS model 3240 many years ago. When I replaced a bad hard drive in my computer, I was not able to load the necessary information for the computer to read, and connect the printer. I phoned Canon, was immediately transferred to one of their techs, inside of 10 minutes, he had me up, and going. There was no charge for the service. I would never buy anything other than a Canon printer.

Original review: May 22, 2018

I have found my Canon printer, photocopier and fax machine to be fantastic, I highly recommend Canon to everyone, it is my life's business and it is very reliable. I have the MX350 with WiFi which is very handy in today's world. Wi-Fi is Nationwide and the best technology that ever came about not like Facebook, Instagram and Twitter (very dangerous technology). l use my Canon all the time since I'm a qualified Natural Therapist and my clients love it because they can contact me any time and I always make sure my ink cartridges are full. I can only say good things about Canon products because I know they are a well known brand and good quality.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Canon?

Original review: May 10, 2019

I purchased a Canon printer for home use and after 2 months of use the printer would not recognize the ink cartridges installed therefore would not print. This is not my first experience where a Canon printer works fine one day and refuses to function the next. This latest problem comes at a time where I needed a printer so I did the best thing, I bought an HP printer and it works great. This morning I am going through all of my electronics and if it has the name Canon anywhere it is being destroyed. NO MORE CANON PRODUCTS IN THIS HOUSE.

Original review: May 10, 2019

What a piece of ** printers. Last 3 Canons I've smashed to pieces. Cause they ask you to wait momentarily (what the **) and you can only ever print out 1 ** CD at a time and then it can't print the second unless you restart the dumb printer which takes 10 minutes to shut down cause you're waiting ** momentarily.. DON'T PURCHASE THIS COMPANY'S PRINTERS CAUSE THEY'RE **....

Original review: April 12, 2019

Canon MF 731 is not user friendly. If you are looking for a business printer to use with a MAC, you will want to re-consider your decision. Programming your preferred printer settings including single side print, fit image to page and darker print settings is easy, however this printer driver software will not save your settings for all types of printings, including MS documents, pdf files and printing emails. In other words, the printer driver will OVERRIDE your chosen saved settings. And Canon will blame Apple for this conflict. Buyer beware!

Original review: March 24, 2019

We purchased brand new printer cartridges, that are compatible, #243 (black) and #244 (Color), but only the color cartridge is recognized by the Canon printer. Who am I to complain to? Unless I got and buy more cartridges, I can no longer use this printer. There is not an option to print in only color. We just bought this printer - less than 4 months ago, this is our first cartridge replacement.

Original review: March 18, 2019

Your printer is a piece of **. Never will buy a Canon again. Nothing but problems. Your product sucks. I hate your product. Nothing works and always getting errors. What a big waste of money. I will never buy your product again. It sucks.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

Canon was once a very reputable company and I have purchased their copiers and cameras for years. I was satisfied until the last few years but it seems that they have been corrupted as badly as any of the other BIG investor-owned companies. The motto now seems to be "charge as much as you can and give as little product and service as possible." My review today is prompted by the purchase of a Maxify MB2000 printer/copier/fax/scanner about two years ago for home use.

With other printers I was able to have the ink cartridges refilled at Costco so wasn't too concerned that the cartridges were about $38. One has to buy both black and color cartridges because even though I only print black and white, using grey scale as the option, the unit sucks up ink like it's free. It processed for several minutes every time I turned it on. Turns out the cartridges aren't refillable. In the two years I used it I probably only made about 150 copies but spent over $500 for the unit and ink cartridges. I have an unopened black cartridge and stopped using the machine rather than spending more money on color cartridges. I can't return the cartridge, or the machine, to WalMart because I've had them more than 90 days. What a rip off. Corporate greed wins again.

I finally bought an HP printer/copier/scanner/fax that will take refilled cartridges from Costco. They take items back if they don't work or if the customer is dissatisfied. Yesterday I called Canon to see about getting a refund for at least part of the expense I incurred and was told absolutely not. I told them I'd have to resort to reporting their greedy behavior and warn others not to buy Canon. The company has been corrupted. Do not buy from Canon until they relearn what customer satisfaction and service mean.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

I bought a backup printer from Canon, mainly because of the rebate. Sent in the paperwork correctly, and Canon said they received it, but never sent me the card. I notified them. They said they'd reissue the card. Never received it. Finally 10 months year later, realized I still hadn't received it (plenty of documentation and emails), and was told that the card (which I never got) was expired. They do not have the authority to reissue the card. Spent two hours on the phone, transferred 8 times. Last rep was nice, but who knows... they'll get back to me. Will not buy another Canon product based on their rebate program. A scam.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

It took my excellent IT person 51/2 hours to set it up. The documentation in the user manual was useless. There was no online support. The company included a DVD! (who uses them anymore) as theoretic support. And it is noisy and slow. I would like to return it. The old Canon 450 was a great workhorse but finally failed because of some software upgrade. Ugh. Never again.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

Canon printers were so good but the customer support was ridiculous. They don't even know what is technically solving. In my office, one guy came for support. The problem was printer port was busy. He doesn't know really what is port and why the error came and he simply checks the printer and closed the ticket. After that, I raise 6 tickets with Canon. The same guy came and check the printer. He doesn't know what is a computer. Till now the case is going. I don't know what to do. If you guy checking for printer go for another brand.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

Do not waste your money on a large format Canon printer. Take it from someone who has setup up files for and have operated on Epson, Roland, Mimaki, Colorspan, Durst, etc. I thought that Mimaki and Tekwin was bad. Firstly the size restrictions are ridiculous. For example, the Epson Driver for photoshop allows me send print files much larger than 1 gb. On this Canon iPF8400SE machine, I cannot even send 10 mb!!! Are we still in pre-internet times where we have to work in megs and KB? Secondly who in their right minds designs a machine where paper needs to loaded from the bottom? The design is not intelligent at all, in fact the whole machine has been design to cause complications in your workflow.

For one, you cannot override the paper type in the driver, if the paper type on the machine and driver is different, the job will spool and the machine will not print, the file disappears. Then there are the constant errors regarding "hardware failures"' Once this happens, the machine prompts you do restart, and then...automatic cleaning commences, then you can say bye to one of most expensive inks money can buy. Upgrading the firmware doesn't help to solve that problem. I wish that I had something good to say about this product. Unfortunately I don't.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

Does not scan a document without saving it to a graphic format. Does not feed a single page at a time. Several pages are fed through the printer every time you try to print. VERY satisfied with a MG5600 series printer. This printer is a very cheap product of Canon. No printer setups regarding the quality of the print or copy. The ink will cost more than this printer. Save you money and invest in something higher quality!

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

This is the worst printer I've ever used. So many problems - first off, it won't do borderless printing. The techs say it's because it's a "business" printer, but even business printers should be able to do borderless printing. Also, it is impossible to print in black/grayscale if any print cartridges have run out. I have a yellow cartridge that ran out of ink, and it won't operate at all, even though I have a full black ink cartridge. Ink cartridges cost around $85, and do not last long. Canon doesn't sell printers, they sell ink. This printer has a "silent" mode which worked about a month but now does nothing to quiet the operation. Tech "help" does nothing; very poor service. Don't buy this printer unless you want to spend $$$ on ink and poor service.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

Canon support rep. could have suggested I try the solution described below, but didn't; instead, he referred me to an authorized service outlet which would have cost me as much as buying a new printer after shipping, taxes and labor cost. My problem was simple; paper jammed inside my printer; I solved the problem myself by procuring a "slim jim" at a local sheet metal purveyor and slid the sheet metal "slim jim" through the paper transport unit, dislodging the paper. The Canon rep. should have suggested this, but either didn't bother to or didn't think about it. If you ever get paper jammed up way inside the transport unit and you can't reach it, try this method before resorting to paying high labor costs to have it done professionally; worked like a charm for me.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

On October 15. 2018, CANON stopped offering technical support for any of their products deemed to be an older model. They had the best AND US based technical support, with representatives who went the extra mile to help the customer. No more!! If you call in and provide the name of an older printer, camera or other Canon product, your call will be cut off, rather than transferred to a representative. Their tech support was the reason I was a loyal CANON customer. I had the most wonderful experience with their previously very human customer relations and technical support departments. There is no good reason to purchase another Canon product if they continue this new policy.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

Very disappointed in this printer. Yes, it was a cheaper model but I have purchased other brands and other Canon printers for around the same price and have been able to get more use out of the inks that come with the printer. I printed 4 pages B&W when I got an alert that my black ink was running low. Soon after I received the same message that my colored ink was low, which was weird because I had only been printing B&W. Not happy that I now have to go spend over $50 to purchase more ink when I have had the printer for less than 2 weeks. Save yourself some grief and scratch this off your list of potential printers.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

So I purchased my printer a few years ago, so it is not new. However, I have barely used it. In fact I just recently installed my second set of ink cartridges for a mere $65. Used it one day, two days later I get the message that I have the incorrect print head installed. What does this mean I wonder. I do some Googling and find that this is a common problem that Canon printer owners seem to run into. The results didn't look too good but I couldn't believe that this practically brand new printer could possibly be broken.

I called Canon, they didn't even go through the motions of trying to help me. The guy said, "Yeah you need a new printer." So a $300+ printer didn't even last 2 full sets of ink. I will never buy another Canon printer again. HP for me thanks. Oh, and I should also add that the few times I did use this printer I had several issues. It was always jamming paper, it never printed a photo that looked anything like a photo. I used Canon paper and everything and it looks like it was printing it on the wrong side or something. And trust me it wasn't. This thing was just a giant piece of garbage from the beginning.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

This printer is less than two years old and gives me constant problems. When it is working it is slow, extremely noisy, and uses a LOT of ink. It will not take any paper larger than 8.5 x 11. It will not print when one of the ink cartridges is low. You cannot run the cartridge dry, when it gets LOW the printer refuses to work, giving errors like "another computer is using the printer" or "port is in use" or other such nonsense. So you waste even more money not being able to use all of the ink in each cartridge. Not to mention that it has also told me I have the wrong size paper in the tray, when I do NOT. I am ready to throw this piece of crap out the window, I end up wasting SOOO much time trying to get this to print one single page of regular text from a Word document. It is BAD.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

What should be simple, is not. There are countless ways the printer reports how to replace paper set margins, go to internet, use phone app, etc. etc etc. I have never been able to simply print anything without a big ordeal. The last two printers I had (Brothers and Envy) were a piece of cake. So sad. I can hardly wait to get rid of this Canon TS 9000.

Original review: June 23, 2018

I bought this printer because of the price and reliability. I had surgery and needed a wireless printer because I was confined to bed for 4 months. It worked perfectly and still is 4 years later.

Original review: June 23, 2018

It is a very basic inexpensive printer. Was used for basic printing such as coupons and recipes so it served its purpose very well. Clear and crisp copies.

Original review: June 23, 2018

Even though my printer is old and not wireless, it keeps working like new. When I get ready for a new printer I will favor Canon if they have all the newer features I desire.

Original review: June 22, 2018

The Canon printer is a very good one. It is good enough to own one and the one I have cannot only print it is can fax, copy, etc. Right off of my computer and receive as well.

Original review: June 22, 2018

The wireless brand is horrible. The connection ALWAYS breaks, every day and the printer NEVER stays on. My printer is downstairs so I have to keep going up & down to turn on. When I google it everyone says the wireless never connects with PC & they all hate it too. I hate this one but I spent $$$ on future ink. They get you with the $60 price tag but the ink is a fortune!!! It's my 2nd one due to $135.00 in ink waiting to be used. The lights always flash for no reason, and it's difficult to put ink cartridges in. You have to have hands of a toddler to get ink in and out. Hate, Hate, Hate.

Original review: June 21, 2018

I want a printer that is not too costly to buy but also has ink that lasts and is not messy to change. I want the ink cartridge to last more than just a few prints.

Original review: June 21, 2018

I have used Canon printers for several years. Pictures come out sharp and clear. Documents always are clear and legible. If there is a problem, Canon techs are patient and will stay with you on phone til problem is resolved. I would not purchase another brand.

Canon expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Canon is a Japanese company that is primarily focused on creating camera-based products, in addition to selling printers and photocopiers. Founded in 1937, the company's U.S. headquarters are in Melville, NY.

• Excellent photo printers: Canon is well-known as a camera company, and they offer customers a great selection of high-quality photo printers.

• Specialized printers: The company is one of the few large technology companies on the market to offer very specialized printers, like large format printers and graphic arts printers.

• Excellent customer service: Customers will find a very high level of customer service when they work with Canon, as they offer customers both phone and e-mail support. They also have a very helpful and educational forum on their website.

• Social responsibility: Canon has adopted many social initiatives, including programs to improve the environment, and fundraising efforts for countless local charities.

• Wide price range: The printers sold by Canon come in a wide range of prices, making them a good option for customers who are looking for both premium and low-cost options.

• Best for: Large offices, homeowners with computers, photographers, students and schools.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs