3.50/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

320 Canon Printers Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

Canon printers were so good but the customer support was ridiculous. They don't even know what is technically solving. In my office, one guy came for support. The problem was printer port was busy. He doesn't know really what is port and why the error came and he simply checks the printer and closed the ticket. After that, I raise 6 tickets with Canon. The same guy came and check the printer. He doesn't know what is a computer. Till now the case is going. I don't know what to do. If you guy checking for printer go for another brand.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

Do not waste your money on a large format Canon printer. Take it from someone who has setup up files for and have operated on Epson, Roland, Mimaki, Colorspan, Durst, etc. I thought that Mimaki and Tekwin was bad. Firstly the size restrictions are ridiculous. For example, the Epson Driver for photoshop allows me send print files much larger than 1 gb. On this Canon iPF8400SE machine, I cannot even send 10 mb!!! Are we still in pre-internet times where we have to work in megs and KB? Secondly who in their right minds designs a machine where paper needs to loaded from the bottom? The design is not intelligent at all, in fact the whole machine has been design to cause complications in your workflow.

For one, you cannot override the paper type in the driver, if the paper type on the machine and driver is different, the job will spool and the machine will not print, the file disappears. Then there are the constant errors regarding "hardware failures"' Once this happens, the machine prompts you do restart, and then...automatic cleaning commences, then you can say bye to one of most expensive inks money can buy. Upgrading the firmware doesn't help to solve that problem. I wish that I had something good to say about this product. Unfortunately I don't.

Get expert buying tips about Printers delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

Does not scan a document without saving it to a graphic format. Does not feed a single page at a time. Several pages are fed through the printer every time you try to print. VERY satisfied with a MG5600 series printer. This printer is a very cheap product of Canon. No printer setups regarding the quality of the print or copy. The ink will cost more than this printer. Save you money and invest in something higher quality!

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

This is the worst printer I've ever used. So many problems - first off, it won't do borderless printing. The techs say it's because it's a "business" printer, but even business printers should be able to do borderless printing. Also, it is impossible to print in black/grayscale if any print cartridges have run out. I have a yellow cartridge that ran out of ink, and it won't operate at all, even though I have a full black ink cartridge. Ink cartridges cost around $85, and do not last long. Canon doesn't sell printers, they sell ink. This printer has a "silent" mode which worked about a month but now does nothing to quiet the operation. Tech "help" does nothing; very poor service. Don't buy this printer unless you want to spend $$$ on ink and poor service.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

Canon support rep. could have suggested I try the solution described below, but didn't; instead, he referred me to an authorized service outlet which would have cost me as much as buying a new printer after shipping, taxes and labor cost. My problem was simple; paper jammed inside my printer; I solved the problem myself by procuring a "slim jim" at a local sheet metal purveyor and slid the sheet metal "slim jim" through the paper transport unit, dislodging the paper. The Canon rep. should have suggested this, but either didn't bother to or didn't think about it. If you ever get paper jammed up way inside the transport unit and you can't reach it, try this method before resorting to paying high labor costs to have it done professionally; worked like a charm for me.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Canon?

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

On October 15. 2018, CANON stopped offering technical support for any of their products deemed to be an older model. They had the best AND US based technical support, with representatives who went the extra mile to help the customer. No more!! If you call in and provide the name of an older printer, camera or other Canon product, your call will be cut off, rather than transferred to a representative. Their tech support was the reason I was a loyal CANON customer. I had the most wonderful experience with their previously very human customer relations and technical support departments. There is no good reason to purchase another Canon product if they continue this new policy.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

Very disappointed in this printer. Yes, it was a cheaper model but I have purchased other brands and other Canon printers for around the same price and have been able to get more use out of the inks that come with the printer. I printed 4 pages B&W when I got an alert that my black ink was running low. Soon after I received the same message that my colored ink was low, which was weird because I had only been printing B&W. Not happy that I now have to go spend over $50 to purchase more ink when I have had the printer for less than 2 weeks. Save yourself some grief and scratch this off your list of potential printers.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

So I purchased my printer a few years ago, so it is not new. However, I have barely used it. In fact I just recently installed my second set of ink cartridges for a mere $65. Used it one day, two days later I get the message that I have the incorrect print head installed. What does this mean I wonder. I do some Googling and find that this is a common problem that Canon printer owners seem to run into. The results didn't look too good but I couldn't believe that this practically brand new printer could possibly be broken.

I called Canon, they didn't even go through the motions of trying to help me. The guy said, "Yeah you need a new printer." So a $300+ printer didn't even last 2 full sets of ink. I will never buy another Canon printer again. HP for me thanks. Oh, and I should also add that the few times I did use this printer I had several issues. It was always jamming paper, it never printed a photo that looked anything like a photo. I used Canon paper and everything and it looks like it was printing it on the wrong side or something. And trust me it wasn't. This thing was just a giant piece of garbage from the beginning.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

This printer is less than two years old and gives me constant problems. When it is working it is slow, extremely noisy, and uses a LOT of ink. It will not take any paper larger than 8.5 x 11. It will not print when one of the ink cartridges is low. You cannot run the cartridge dry, when it gets LOW the printer refuses to work, giving errors like "another computer is using the printer" or "port is in use" or other such nonsense. So you waste even more money not being able to use all of the ink in each cartridge. Not to mention that it has also told me I have the wrong size paper in the tray, when I do NOT. I am ready to throw this piece of crap out the window, I end up wasting SOOO much time trying to get this to print one single page of regular text from a Word document. It is BAD.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

What should be simple, is not. There are countless ways the printer reports how to replace paper set margins, go to internet, use phone app, etc. etc etc. I have never been able to simply print anything without a big ordeal. The last two printers I had (Brothers and Envy) were a piece of cake. So sad. I can hardly wait to get rid of this Canon TS 9000.

Original review: June 23, 2018

I bought this printer because of the price and reliability. I had surgery and needed a wireless printer because I was confined to bed for 4 months. It worked perfectly and still is 4 years later.

Original review: June 23, 2018

It is a very basic inexpensive printer. Was used for basic printing such as coupons and recipes so it served its purpose very well. Clear and crisp copies.

Original review: June 23, 2018

Even though my printer is old and not wireless, it keeps working like new. When I get ready for a new printer I will favor Canon if they have all the newer features I desire.

Original review: June 22, 2018

The Canon printer is a very good one. It is good enough to own one and the one I have cannot only print it is can fax, copy, etc. Right off of my computer and receive as well.

Original review: June 22, 2018

The wireless brand is horrible. The connection ALWAYS breaks, every day and the printer NEVER stays on. My printer is downstairs so I have to keep going up & down to turn on. When I google it everyone says the wireless never connects with PC & they all hate it too. I hate this one but I spent $$$ on future ink. They get you with the $60 price tag but the ink is a fortune!!! It's my 2nd one due to $135.00 in ink waiting to be used. The lights always flash for no reason, and it's difficult to put ink cartridges in. You have to have hands of a toddler to get ink in and out. Hate, Hate, Hate.

Original review: June 21, 2018

I want a printer that is not too costly to buy but also has ink that lasts and is not messy to change. I want the ink cartridge to last more than just a few prints.

Original review: June 21, 2018

I have used Canon printers for several years. Pictures come out sharp and clear. Documents always are clear and legible. If there is a problem, Canon techs are patient and will stay with you on phone til problem is resolved. I would not purchase another brand.

Original review: June 20, 2018

I like the Canon printer, however the cartridges don’t last long enough for the price. The amount of ink that is put into their cartridges isn’t worth $1.00, yet they charge about 20.00 to 25.00 for a cartridge. They should make it easier for the customer to fill their own cartridge and there would not be so much wasted cartridges in our landfills. They can do it, but are making so much money off cartridges. I don’t think they care. I can buy a new printer with a cartridge for about the same amount as the cost of their cartridges. Way too much waste.

Original review: June 20, 2018

Canon printer's hard to use especially if it gets unplugged. Also, hard for getting Samsung tablets to work with it. Uses a lot of ink cartridges, making it expensive to use.

Original review: June 19, 2018

It's good for when you are on a budget and for small printing jobs, but not for large printing jobs. It's also good for scanning documents, but what I like least about it is the ink doesn't last long enough.

Original review: June 19, 2018

It has new print color but the printer does not work at all. It just stop, I cannot print from computer to paper. The printer's paper does not feed out.

Original review: June 18, 2018

Great printer in quality of print, compact so doesn't take up much room, and easy to use. Con: you know it, cost of ink. I understand the cost of the color but the black should be cheaper.

Original review: June 18, 2018

My last 2 printers have been Canons. The photos with correct ink is awesome. It also has a scanner & when I need a copy of something I use it. And if I am having problems, Canon backs it up by providing a troubleshooter & it usually solves the problem.

Original review: June 17, 2018

Printer came with dry ink cartridge. No replacement, had to buy new one. Nearly cost of printer. Then wireless connection so difficult that couldn't use it. No help where I bought it and a Canon rep was there the day I got it. Printer should print when brand new. Shouldn't have to buy new cartridge at equal cost same day. BS.

Original review: June 17, 2018

To scan, the all-in-one MX922 works great; Copies are clear and quick. The only drawback is the software to save the documents to my computer. I have had other Canon printers and scanners and their software is usually very intuitive unlike the Pixma MX922. Ink is expensive too.

Original review: June 16, 2018

I have own Canon MX432 for 5 years. I am overall please but have to say I have not taken to learning all things capable of doing. The photo print, faxing, wireless connections, scanning is very good and worth the money.

Original review: June 16, 2018

Very good printer for the price. Easy to set up and works real good from phone or tablet with the free app. It could print a little faster but besides that, prints real good in both black & white and color. Canon has the most reasonable prices on ink cartridges too. I am satisfied with this Canon printer.

Original review: June 16, 2018

Problem is the ink is quite expensive. I need to purchase inks every month, and also I do not use it much but ink goes fast. Somehow I am surprised about this.

Original review: June 16, 2018

I make my own greeting cards and the color runs out way before the black. The ink is costing too much for me to afford anymore. I really liked the printers that had individual colors, because you do not run out of all the color at the same time.

Original review: June 16, 2018

Printer was very inexpensive and does everything I need. Can't beat that! But a little difficult in setting up and connecting to wi-fi. Nevertheless, there is an online manual you can download.

Canon expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Canon is a Japanese company that is primarily focused on creating camera-based products, in addition to selling printers and photocopiers. Founded in 1937, the company's U.S. headquarters are in Melville, NY.

• Excellent photo printers: Canon is well-known as a camera company, and they offer customers a great selection of high-quality photo printers.

• Specialized printers: The company is one of the few large technology companies on the market to offer very specialized printers, like large format printers and graphic arts printers.

• Excellent customer service: Customers will find a very high level of customer service when they work with Canon, as they offer customers both phone and e-mail support. They also have a very helpful and educational forum on their website.

• Social responsibility: Canon has adopted many social initiatives, including programs to improve the environment, and fundraising efforts for countless local charities.

• Wide price range: The printers sold by Canon come in a wide range of prices, making them a good option for customers who are looking for both premium and low-cost options.

• Best for: Large offices, homeowners with computers, photographers, students and schools.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs