Canon Printers
Based on 94 reviews that contain star ratings
Show rating distribution

Canon Printers

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Sept. 18, 2017

174 Canon Printers Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Sept. 18, 2017

We have three Canon all in one printers. These are all different models. Within one week all of these have gone out with errors on the print heads. None of these error could be resolved, even doing what the fixes discussed on the Canon website.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2017

I have spent my day trying to connect the scanner to save a document into my computer and it is a complete joke! It comes back and tells me to have the printer (Canon MG3022) register again and then keeps repeating it after doing this over and over again. Says I am not registered when I am. I will never buy another cheap ** computer again!!! Oh yeah, It also will not connect to my WiFi, I was letting that go but people need to know just how cheap this brand of printer really is!!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Aug. 3, 2017

I have owned other Canon products in the past and as a school teacher, needed something that would allow me to print out multiple papers without constantly changing paper or ink. I also print using different media types such as lightweight cardstock and labels which according to the box, Staples representatives, and Canon customer service, were all supported by this $400 machine. Well unfortunately this has not been my experience. I have encountered several problems with this printer and even though I purchased an extended warranty through Staples, they cannot do anything to "fix" what is occurring.

To begin, the machine is constantly showing as offline even when powered on. It is often a battle to get the printer to recognize that it is being given a command to print from an external source. We have updated drivers and tried from multiple sources and still have the same problem. After several minutes to sometimes hours when I do get the article to print, the paper begins to jam after 2-3 pages. This is just regular computer paper. If labels or business card paper is used the printer jams immediately. I then call customer service and proceed to wait on hold upwards to two hours in which they will walk me through unjamming the machine. I know how to remove a jam even though 95% of the time it is saying that a jam is present and there is no paper in the printer. I need to know how to prevent the jams from happening at every print job and to stop the printer from always going offline.

An additional issue I have with this printer is the amount of ink it uses. In less than a six month time frame I have had to purchase two additional sets of cartridges. Both XL. And I barely print anything because it is always jamming. I have not even used a complete ream of paper so why would the printer go through the initial ink that came with the printer as well as two other sets with printing less than 500 copies if it is advertised to print 1500 copies for small businesses. I cannot see how a small business would be able to run efficiently if it were constantly hovering over a printer to ensure that the status was set to online, the printer was not jamming every other page, and that the ink being used was indeed lasting as long as the stated amount.

As stated above, customer service was able to help, WHEN I was able to make contact with them. I unfortunately do not have the time to wait on hold for multiple hours and when you leave a number for them to call you back the call is never returned. This printer has caused me to lose faith in all Canon products. I needed a printer that had multiple drawers and could print on labels, paper and card stock without having to constantly change the paper. I also needed to duplex print. I will now be searching once again for another printer that has these capabilities. I know it is not the Maxify MB5420.

Original review: March 3, 2017

I have tried to contact customer service by phone: for three days all I get is a 'we are closed' message, regardless of the time of day. Contacting via email is equally bad. The site says they will contact you within 8 hours. After several days I have received no reply to my messages.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2017

Worse printer in the world. I was told that the ink would last for 500 copies minimum. I print about 5 to six pages a month, yet have to replace all my color ink cartilages every two months. I print in grey scale. You can not print with this piece of ** printer without all of the ink being full. Even if you do not print in color. I wish someone would have told me that when I bought it. I got screwed! I could have gotten a HP printer for $10 more; that was only a black and white. I should have bought it. I will never buy another Canon rip off product again. Canon Maxify Sucks. Canon steals from me every two months for ink; I do not even use! It just evaporates on its own. No use need! I will post this to every website I can!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Canon?

Original review: Jan. 18, 2017

We are not sure if this is the correct place to post this information. TEST RESULTS: Cannon 3522 pix fine print. The Printer software says you are low on ink and should replace cartridges. We tested this and for 5 weeks since it told us to replace them we have been printing all ebay business daily as well as google earth maps and daily household printing (Just printed DMV registration). All still bright and clear. In effect we have wasted $$$ for ink cartridges that were not really empty. HUNDREDS $$$. What's up.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2017

Canon Pixma MG2920 - Horrible news with these Canon printers, 2nd one in 6 months. 1st ok, too much printing... 2nd one stops, for no reason, keeps saying paper jam, when nothing. Keeps saying out of ink, when cartridges replaced. Wasted $$$ on ink, needless to say. These printers are useless... Absolutely no reason why these printers should bomb off on us. I have important work to do, DO NOT DEPEND on Canon printers to get work done. THESE Printers are a waste of money. Now I am stuck with cartridges, color and Black ink. Cannot convince anyone to buy a Canon printer. This is the pits. I have wasted my time and money. CANON DEFINITELY NOT RECOMMENDED.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2016

Cannon refuses to upgrade a patch for Windows 10 for my current Canon S300 printer. I will never buy a Canon product again because of this. I have purchased an Epson and will never, ever give Canon my business.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2016

Canon MG6620 is the worst thing I've ever bought. I will never again buy Canon ANYTHING because of this printer. Haven't even owned it a year and every time I ever needed to print even ONE page it gave me problems. Anything from connectivity issues and not carrying out commands, to the ink tray making some weird noise and not moving and giving me some stupid error. Now the thing won't print a clear page of even sheet music, it just spits out some mumbled crap that I can't even read. Tried deep cleaning, cleaning, all kinds of stuff. Printer CONSTANTLY says it's empty of paper when it is full. Keeps jamming. I don't know how many times. I mean it is the BIGGEST PIECE OF CRAP I'VE EVER BOUGHT and that is saying a lot. I have now boycotted Canon indefinitely in every product line. I hope the company dies.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2016

So I buy myself a fairly inexpensive Canon PIXUS printer in Tokyo which breaks down before the guarantee is up. The printer is making a funny noise and won't work at all. Fortunately they replace the machine but this new one breaks down after only 2 and a half months with an entirely different problem; the paper is constantly crumpled as it is fed into the machine.

I phone the Japanese technical department and they refuse to replace the replacement. Without even seeing the printer they tell me the cost of fixing it is 7,000 yen (almost the same price as the printer itself). So I decide to open it up. After 20 minutes of work I remove 3 pieces that are blocking the feed, and eureka, it works again! I'm attaching an image of these pieces in case anyone knows what their use is. My trust in large Japanese companies is at an all time low and I know Canon is struggling economically and have insurmountable pressure on them to make quotas. Is it possible that my replacement printer was fiddled with so that it would break down in only 75 days??

Original review: Oct. 23, 2016

PIXMA MG6821 Unbelievable piece of crap. My loyalty to Canon is gone. They produce a far inferior product. The printer doesn't recognize the paper in the tray regardless of size. Thanks Canon. I will soon consider replacing my camera(s) as well. ** pissed.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2016

Don't buy this product guys. This Canon people are cheaters. They don't know to manufacture the good product. I purchased 1 month back this printer. But no use because it has mentioned in to the cartridge that you can take 400 print. Where I took only 10 it shows cartridge is empty, and I bought new one that also same -- only 10. Stop selling this product in to the market. Now I need to throw this printer to dustbin. Do not buy it. I am fed up of this product, name Canon MG2570S. Stupid product. Please do not cheat others. Shut down your company.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2016

I bought a Canon MG 3600 printer in April of 2016. It locked up in mid-July and nothing I did would unlock it. I brought it back to Target where I bought it and they gave me credit for another printer. As you might imagine, I didn't buy a Canon. This was a horrible experience! Not only did I waste buying cartridges that now are worthless, but I wasted much time trying to unlock it. I will NOT be buying a Canon printer anytime soon. It was a bad, bad printer! My new Epson is working fine.

Original review: July 21, 2016

I just bought a Canon printer. I took it home, started installation, needed help, so called them. It turns out that they do not provide a cable to attach the computer to the printer. This is not WiFi, so the cable is necessary. The rep asked if I saw the notice on the box, and I did not - there is none! I asked to speak with a supervisor. I am still on hold, but the rep interrupted another call I was on to tell me he was still waiting.

Original review: July 21, 2016

I own the aforesaid printer. Since I could not download its driver, which I required due to change in hard disc; I personally contacted at your Arihant Infotech Service Center, along with the printer. The lady at the counter gave me the driver on my pendriver for Rs.100-/Receipt no.** dated 20-07-2016; the printer was running well, which she checked, then she took my printer inside out of my sight to clean it. But since then it's not running. Paper got jammed every time, no printing; the speed of two small roller appears to be too fast. Please get my printer O.K. I cannot add images as it is not running.

Original review: July 13, 2016

I have been a loyal customer of Canon for many years. I have had several Canon Printers and Cameras. The latest Canon Printer, Pixma 982, failed after 2 years of use. Its printer head failed. This 982 was a replaced through the Loyalty Program for another Pixma. It too failed after two years of use. Its printer head failed. The history before is the same. All Canon printer head fail after two years of use. Your parts department offers the printer head replacement part for about $100 (which included shipping and handling). Unfortunately, this part cannot be returned. It too may be defective. Your Loyalty Program does not offer a replacement printer that uses the same ink cartridges. I have a $100 inventory of unused ink cartridges. A device from the Loyalty Program is about $100. The nearest Canon dealer is in Conroe, Texas. This is a two hour drive from Houston.

Canon only offers a one year warranty, and offers no extended warranty. I believe Canon is purposely building an internal termination clock to cause the printer head to malfunction. This is my conclusion after 10 years of experience with Canon Printers. I would like to make note that each time I have called Canon customer agents, all were extremely polite and tried to be helpful. My research shows that Kodak is the recommended replacement device; the replacement ink cartridges are less expensive. The cost of a Kodak is about $100. If man does not learn from history, he is forced to repeat it. I have learned from my history with Canon, and wish not to repeat it.

Original review: June 23, 2016

I have had many Canon printers because I trust their technology and like their lenses. But over 20 years, I hate the necessity to throw away good working technology because it has decided that I have not paid enough to sustain it. I know that I have taken at least 5 printers to the recycle hole within the last 8 years. I do not do a lot of printing, but when refilling, etc. it galls me that at some point that the thing just won't work anymore. (And I have replaced the cartridges,not just refilled.) I would like to crowdfund a printer that really is refill-friendly and bulletproof.

Original review: June 8, 2016

I have a Canon PIXMA MX492 wireless printer. I telephoned them to help me print a document from the Secretary of State of MS in PDF online. He told me to try to experiment to see how to print the document in legal format. I told him there is no way in the world I want to use all my ink to experiment to try and print one document. I told him forget all of this I am sending this back to the company and I am getting my money back. I will just forget it. Charles just hung up the telephone at Canon at left me on the phone. The telephone number to Canon is 1-800-652-2666.

Original review: May 26, 2016

We have been using this printer for sometime now. It consumes minimal amount of ink but prints quality documents and photos. I used it to print the diy invitations for my son's christening and the colors turned out bright and wonderful. It also works faster than our previous Epson. However, when we're continuously printing files on it, a paper jam always occurs after 20 or more succeeding pages. This happened every time and we need to restart the printer several times before it functions properly again. Sometimes it takes restarting the computer too for the printer to get fixed. It's such a waste of time and energy, not to mention frustrating. For those who need a heavy duty printer, steer clear of this model.

Original review: April 6, 2016

I was having a problem with my Canon Printer. I went through all of the troubleshooting in the manual, still had the problem. So, I tried calling Tech Support. After over an hour of "senior technical support" reps reading the troubleshooting from the manual it became clear, there is no tech support at the company. After they finished reading the steps, they always went to the "great deal" they have on new Canon printers. I did finally get a rep who admitted that they don't really provide any information which isn't in the manual, and their primary purpose was to sell new products.

Original review: March 2, 2016

Poor support... unknowledgeable of browser settings affecting printer settings. Fair, ink is swallowed on tanks not used... cleaning/pumping process does this. The printer displays 200 error codes frequently. Support online states to leave it on for this condition. That seems to help. Still does it though at less than a year old. Cycle power to clear code sometimes. Other times it takes a deep cleaning to do it. Provide better reliability and tech support.

Original review: March 2, 2016

Actually, I have never requested Customer Support, but cannot give them bad mark - they might be quite good. :) I have no exceptional printing needs. Report, boarding passes, documents, etc., the printer work 100%. I paid less than $100 for a printer that meets all my needs. Anytime I ask 'him' to perform, 'he' does. What can I ask for? I only have some issues with its scanning feature. It could also be "I" who does something wrong, or my computer.

Original review: March 2, 2016

There are a lot of Youtube support videos that are quite helpful. It's got a lot of features for the money. I got a fantastic deal on this printer. It disconnects itself from the wifi periodically, but unlike the Epson which shall not be named, it's easy to reconnect. The Pixma MG2920 was fairly uncomplicated to set up for a wireless all-in-one. It's a bit fussy with the wifi connection, but by far not the worst in its class for that.

Original review: March 2, 2016

I have had issues with it. I paid $19 for this printer four years ago. It has worked perfectly. Ink cartridges are about average in price. However, unlike some inkjet cartridges, they don't dry up if I don't use the printer for a month or two. It works. I got it it for $19 because I got $50 off when I bought it with a computer at Fry's. My first wireless printer, it has been a great bargain.

Original review: March 2, 2016

Every time I need help the support staff takes care of me. It is still made up of plastic but the plastic is thicker. This printer will print both sides or copy both side. It has some software that should be standard software but Canon is the only one that has it all. I own three because we always seem to outgrow the old one but the other two still work great. It has a lot more to offer at a lower price.

Original review: March 2, 2016

Online FAQ only. I have seen better. Very cheap up front cost considering the capabilities. The print head wears out on these printers and the replacement is so high the printer ends up in the landfill. Sometimes this printer will not turn off. This is a software glitch. It highlights the fact that equipment should have a hard on/off switch rather than one connected to software which may or may not be running properly.

Original review: March 2, 2016

With my previous Canon, Aubrey was SUPERB! But Canon's customer loyalty program and support for my new printer was not equal to Aubrey. Better than fair. Nice colors. Uses a ton of ink as usual though. Buying from Amazon saved me $149 off this printer, something Canon told me they could not touch in price. Aside from the hugely expensive ink cartridges, of which there are SIX, the printer is okay. So far so good.

Original review: March 2, 2016

I have not had any problem with this printer and the only customer support I have received is assistance from the retailer in purchasing the ink cartridges. It prints well for any correspondence, forms and copies as well as any material I have scanned and printed. I do not have fax capability and paper size of 8 1/2 x 11. This is sufficient for my printer use. I purchased this printer five years ago and have not had any problems or required any repairs on this item. This is an economical model that meets your printing requirements.

Original review: March 2, 2016

I have been able to get the best help when I think there is a problem. Never have I had someone who wasn't knowledgeable, patient, and very respectful. I have a simple Bluetooth ip110. This is all I need as I only print out proof of payments, directions, and great quotes. Only need it to print and have the option, with Bluetooth, from my computer, iPad, and iPhone. If something isn't working, I know I can call and get the solution whether it be my error or a fixable problem. They are made in America!

Original review: March 2, 2016

I've called Canon tech support twice. Both issues were resolved quickly. Exceptional duplication. I regularly print two-sided color flyers, and the quality is exceptional. The unit is an all-in-one color laser (print, copy, scan and fax). I paid $299... incredible bargain! Hasn't failed yet. Performs as expected. The model number is MF8580Cdw. It lists for $599 but is readily available for $299 at several vendors, including Staples. I bought mine at Fry's, where they matched the price.

Canon expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Canon is a Japanese company that is primarily focused on creating camera-based products, in addition to selling printers and photocopiers. Founded in 1937, the company's U.S. headquarters are in Melville, NY.

• Excellent photo printers: Canon is well-known as a camera company, and they offer customers a great selection of high-quality photo printers.

• Specialized printers: The company is one of the few large technology companies on the market to offer very specialized printers, like large format printers and graphic arts printers.

• Excellent customer service: Customers will find a very high level of customer service when they work with Canon, as they offer customers both phone and e-mail support. They also have a very helpful and educational forum on their website.

• Social responsibility: Canon has adopted many social initiatives, including programs to improve the environment, and fundraising efforts for countless local charities.

• Wide price range: The printers sold by Canon come in a wide range of prices, making them a good option for customers who are looking for both premium and low-cost options.

• Best for: Large offices, homeowners with computers, photographers, students and schools.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs