3.9/5 (312 ratings)

About Avast Antivirus

Avast Antivirus Software provides protection for your devices from viruses, malware and other potential internet threats. Avast is known for offering features you don’t often find in a free program, including a Wi-Fi network scanner, a password manager and a gaming mode.

Pros

• Password manager
  • Customizable protection
  • Free product is robust

Cons

• Previously sold user data
  • Can slow your device

Bottom Line

Avast Antivirus Software provides both free and premium protection against risks to your devices. The free version is pretty thorough, but the paid version adds many useful features.

Top Avast Antivirus Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Avast Antivirus?

Verified

I discovered Avast by accident… I'm rather glad I did though, they deliver the protection in which they claim. … I'd highly recommend all that uses today's technology on a regula...

Verified

The Avast has been very good. I have not had any problems since using it. My computer has always been online. I would recommend avast. Avast has kept my computer clean. The price ...

What is Avast Software?

Avast is antivirus software designed to protect your devices. A subsidiary of AVG Antivirus, Avast is currently one of the most popular antivirus programs available. The company offers free and paid options for customers.

Along with antivirus and anti-malware software, Avast offers several other security services. Users can also purchase a virtual privacy network (VPN), anti-tracking software and BreachGuard.

What does Avast Software do?

The free program offers malware protection, a performance scanner and a scan scheduler. Its basic scan also finds network issues, out-of-date software, weak passwords, malicious browser add-ons and more. Features such as an email scanner, a secure browser and a URL screener are all available for free as separate tools.

As for the antivirus and malware scanning itself, independent lab tests give it a high rating. Avast detects most forms of malware before they reach your computer by quarantining and deleting the files. If it can't stop the malware before, it interrupts the downloading process.

The premium Avast software adds several features. These include:

• A file shredder
  • Webcam protection
  • Automatic software updater
  • A firewall
  • Spam protection
  • Secure folders for important files
  • Protection from phishing sites (sites that duplicate important login screens to steal information)

Avast Cleanup Premium helps improve your computer’s performance, and its driver updater takes care of old or broken drivers. Not everyone will find these premium features necessary, but they can be helpful. If you’re looking for more basic coverage, the Avast free software will do.

Avast antivirus price

Avast has a free option and paid options. While its free coverage is thorough, there are several benefits to the premium options. A one-year subscription for a single Mac or PC device is $69.99. You can upgrade your coverage to include as many as 10 devices for $89.99 a year. This includes PC, Mac, Android and iOS devices.

There is also an Ultimate option that includes a secure-line VPN, Premium Cleanup and Passwords Premium. Ultimate costs $99.99 annually for a single device or $119.99 a year for 10 devices. You can try the single-device subscription free for 30 days without a credit card, and there is a 30-day money-back guarantee if you’re not satisfied.

Avast FAQ

How good is Avast Antivirus?
Avast Antivirus is generally ranked as a good program. Its free software is surprisingly robust, though its premium product isn’t always worth the upgrade for some users.
Is Avast safe for Macs?
Avast is safe for your Mac computer or laptop. It offers full protection for free.
Where is Avast located?
The Avast headquarters is in Prague, Czech Republic. There are Avast offices around the world, including two in the United States.
What is Avast behavior shield?
Avast behavior shield adds a layer of active protection to your antivirus program. It monitors for suspicious behavior in code.
Is Avast malware?
Avast is not malware and is safe to use on your computer or mobile devices. Its purpose is to detect and stop malware before it harms your system.

Is Avast safe?

Avast is a highly popular antivirus program and has been for a long time. It provides good malware protection and several features that you don’t often find in free software. Many people appreciate the password manager or Wi-Fi network scanner. If you’re looking for extra protection from internet threats, it’s worth checking out Avast Antivirus.

Avast Antivirus Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Avast Antivirus?

Original review: Jan. 15, 2023

I've been using the paid app for years. It worked well though there were annoying pop-ups all the time. Today I opened my computer and the screen showed that Avast was updated overnight. But my computer would not boot up and a white screen kept flashing. I was on the phone with customer support for 2 hours and finally at the end they told me I needed to pay for additional support to resolve the problem. After I complained and demanded that they fix what they broke they fixed the issue in 2 minutes. Beware the upsell. I'm past the 30 day period since my last renewal so I cannot get refunded I will not be renewing again.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2022

Invasive! Can't uninstall it. Been trying for half an hour. Computer keeps crashing. Even downloading their uninstall.exe doesn't work. Great. Counting their browser, which I didn't ask for and also can't uninstall, I now have THREE UNWANTED AVAST PROGRAMS ON MY COMPUTER. And the popups won't stop coming. Avoid them.

Get buying tips about Antivirus Software delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2022

Avast SUCKS! It's worse than any Virus to get rid of. It latches on to apps to auto install itself, like LDPlayer, and you have to download their uninstall app to get rid of it that needs to restart and run in Safe Mode to get rid of it. It's much harder to uninstall it than to fix Cancer!

Original review: Sept. 21, 2022

I bought Avast antivirus software and recently added their Cleanup software and their Driver updater. After buying the Driver updater I was not able to use my scanner, which is connected via WIFI. Avast's solution is to have me buy another $200 package to fix their flawed software. Scammers!

Original review: June 30, 2022

BE CAREFUL OF AUTO RENEWAL SCAMS BY AVAST! I purchased the 3-1 bundle which included Avast Cleanup Premium fro $119.99 on June 15. On June 30 Avast still initiated the auto renewal for the Avast Premium Cleanup product for $63.99 on June 30. I knew there was an auto renewal but thought since I purchased the product in the bundle, their sophisticated system would recognize this and AUTO CANCEL THE RENEWAL SINCE I JUST ORDERED IT! Their support, Poojitha, said I should be managing my subscriptions online and it is not their fault I WAS CHARGED TWICE FOR THE SAME PRODUCT! I cancelled the $119.99 order! BE VERY AWARE OF HOW THEY MAKE DUPLICATE CHARGES AND CHEAT YOU. MY SYSTEM IS STILL VERY SLOW!

Original review: April 15, 2022

Well, I have bought Avast Premium Security from the partner avast-tn.com. I really appreciate all the features starting from the efficient firewall, the wifi inspector, the remote access shield, but what is impressed me is that I can prevent access to apps and block my webcam when I need. And also the password protection is also feature I really like. Good job!

Original review: March 6, 2022

While I generally enjoy Avast, they peridically use scare tactics to get me to upgrade for more money; they will send popup that they "saved" me from virus/malware, even though I never entered that site.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2022

Hello, I have just bought Avast Ultimate from their partner avast-tn.com. Avast Ultimate contains SecureLine VPN. I was impressed by the MIMIC protocol that makes my connections secure and never blocked.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2022

I tried a free 2 month trial which I canceled through their chat line a few days before the trial ended as I did not use the product and decided I didn't want it. They billed me anyway after I thought it was canceled and when I checked out again they said I had not turned auto-renewal off, which I thought would have been done when they told me I was unsubscribed and canceled. I could not even find my account to turn that off and had to start the cancellation process all over again. For an antivirus company they seem very shady as far as their billing, unsubscribing and cancellation process goes.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2022

Tried Avast Antivirus product through promotion. At end of promotion Avast attempted to charge my bank account 3 weeks ago and I stopped the charge. Avast contacted me to advise charge was refused. I confirmed decline and advised did not want their product. Today saw Avast charge for $95.61 on my credit card. This was unauthorized charge and the credit card was relatively new and not used with Avast. How did they get my credit card number? Charging me without notification to my credit card that they should not have access to, after I declined their last attempt to charge my bank card. This was a sleazy attempt to push their product and has all the makings of a scam. Avoid Avast. It took over an hour in the phone to get them to agree to refund. I will wager that my refund does not come without another phone call and/or a small claims lawsuit. So disgusting!!

Avast Antivirus Company Information