1.83/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Last updated: April 13, 2018

640 ASUS Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 13, 2018

Their customer service team either does not speak proper English cannot pronounce the words or they're just downright miserable to be working in their job. Their computer malfunctioned and then literally sent me a letter explaining how they do not pay shipping for a computer to be transported to their service department. So not only did we pay shipping to receive the computer, now we're paying shipping again to have the computer service so either way with a warranty we are paying. I understand this might not be that big of a deal to the man that owns the company period that you are average middle-class American like myself, I will not be able to afford the shipping until next week. Thank you Asus!

Original review: April 5, 2018

I bought an ASUS VivoBook A540LA a year ago. Everything was fine until suddenly, while opening my laptop, I heard some cracking noise. Had no idea what it was and tried to reopen it twice again. Plastic, covering the hinges, broke and hit the screen on the left bottom corner which, because of the hit, got a bit broken, too. As I had always used my laptop carefully and safely, immediately took it to the warranty center. Was shocked when they notified me that they refuse to repair my laptop for free. No other mechanical damages could be see on the laptop, only the broken hinges covering plastic and the screen. I tried to email ASUS support, asked to provide me with valid arguments why they believe it is right not to repair my laptop for free but all I got was "we believe the warranty center acted rightfully". Neither buying ASUS ever again nor letting my friends or family buy ASUS production.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: April 2, 2018

I purchased a ASUS F402B notebook 6 months ago. I sent it back to ASUS recently for repair since the download speed was 4.0 mbps. A local computer technician reloaded the OS and determined the notebook needed a new WiFi card. ASUS did not replace the WiFi card and I doubt they even ran a speed test on the device even though I sent detailed documentation on the problem. When I called again to explain the notebook was not fixed. They wanted me to return it again! I did not and will not! I had a local technician replace the defective WiFi card and the notebook’s download speed has improved greatly. Stay away from ASUS!

Original review: March 31, 2018

If you are looking for a reliable and easy to use computer, ASUS laptops are not recommended personally. Since purchasing my laptop over 18 months ago I have been having issues with it staying connected to my internet and the screen has recently started going out or won’t even display. I have two Toshibas. No problems. Just got old and have an IPAD Pro. Unfortunately, multiple calls to ASUS has not rectified this issue. It has something to do with the RealTek Model: R541U hard drive. It continuously disconnects from my internet and it won’t even acknowledge my hot spot.

Not sure what the issue is but it seems to be a defect with their computer. Once again if your time is valuable please don’t sink your money in this product. To add insult to injury a friend of mine recently bought the same laptop new a few months ago and is having the same problem. We are consumers and work for our money. Just like cars, there are laws in place if sold a lemon car, there should be the same laws for computers. Especially if there are a number of bad reviews on a particular product.

Original review: March 30, 2018

I purchased an Asus - Q524UQ 2-in-1 15.6" Touch-Screen Laptop - Intel Core i7 - 12GB Memory - 2TB Hard Drive - Chocolate Black on June 29, 2016. Within a few months, I started having minor problems. Later that problem grew. Computer constantly freezes causing me to log off and on quite a lot. Had a technician work on it remotely a few times (taking hours from my day). Subsequently, I had one come to my home at least 4 times for the same problems. System crash/freezes. Keep your money. Don't buy this product. Not worth it, especially if you're self-employed or work from home.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about ASUS?

Original review: March 28, 2018

In the past 2 weeks I have been trying to get ASUS to send a shipping label for their faulty laptop that The Source in Parksville, BC Canada sold her. The Source refused to refund her money for a physically damaged computer they sold her... Damaged inside the box. They referred us to ASUS customer service but it should be called CUSTOMER TORTURE because of how we have been treated. She had to pay to ship their broken merchandise back to them in a box that wasn't the original. They didn't want use to send it in the original box so we had to make one to fit. It took them over a month to get it "fixed" and when it came back it worked for less than a year. Now it won't turn on. I am baffled by this because she doesn't use it for anything other than email to her friends, looking at 3 cooking websites and occasionally playing solitaire.

She knows not to open weird emails or attachments etc and has said nothing abnormal has happened that would appear virus-like. I have an ASUS desktop and I hate it. It's a slow clunky thing right from the day it was bought. It was a gift... I'd never buy ASUS as a rule because I know the product to be junk. Their customer service team has yelled at me, emailed aggressively and verbally abusive emails and has stalled for almost 1 week now in providing a shipping label they PROMISED to send to make up for the trouble and inconvenience the first shipping experience created... Apparently they were supposed to send a shipping label instead of my grandmother paying almost $50 to ship it when there was warranty on it.

I feel like the computer problems this time are compounded from the original damage and they should have sent her a new one... Or better still an apology note and a full refund for selling such faulty garbage in the first place. This company has absolutely the worst customer service I've ever experienced. One particular employee should be fired for his involvement and I've expressed this to the company. They delay and ignore responding until you lose all your patience and they treat their customers like their children. I cannot get over how much I was lectured by one employee on the phone and all I did was follow instructions and call in to get a shipping label sent to my email address because THEY asked me to call in.

I didn't sign up for this and will never buy an ASUS product ever. I will strongly encourage my family and friends to avoid the company at all costs and I hope the general public can see this review and be educated in their technology choices. Stay away from ASUS... The product and service are the worst you'll experience in the industry.

Original review: March 27, 2018

If you are thinking of buying any Asus Products, Don't! I have been going around and around with them for months about a tablet (Asus T100 HA) I bought from them. The charging port went completely a week after the one year warranty expired. I paid to have that replaced and found out later that is and was a characteristic problem for this particular tablet. A few weeks later a connector called an Ffc-fpc connector went. When I asked them to purchase this connector from Asus, they said they don't build their tablets, a third party does, and they have NO ACCESS TO THEIR PARTS OR THEIR OWN PRODUCTS. When I asked for contact info for the third party who builds them, they said they have no contact information for the third party and could not identify the third party. I have made countless calls to representatives at Asus and got nowhere. Supposedly they sent it to Level 2 and Level 3 supervisors.

I spoke to a Dwight ** and Elroy ** who said they were Customer Care reps but not supervisors for level 3 and that they would do everything they could to help me get a description of the parts needed so I could try to buy them elsewhere. I contacted some eBay sellers in China who told me if I could tell them the specifics pin number, pin count and whether the connector was a drawing or a flip type. These sellers were shocked that ASUS could not supply me with the information I needed to match up the correct connector! They also said they could easily supply me with the correct connector once I gave them the information they asked me for to supply the part. So I called Asus again and after 5 phone calls, they said that info is not available. So in other words, they are not WILLING to help me. They don't know what parts are in their own products.? PLEASE!!! What a horse and pony show!! BEWARE OF ASUS! GARBAGE CUSTOMER SERVICE!

Original review: March 25, 2018

I had such trouble with my Asus. The motherboard failed within 6 months of using the laptop. I sent it away to be fixed and was without it for two weeks at my expense. Then it broke again two weeks later and I waited for it to be fixed for two months. Right after the one year warranty ended it broke again! So I didn't have it much longer than one year and had to throw it away. I lost tons of old files. I think there's some merit to a class action lawsuit based on faulty motherboards. I tried but they wouldn't take it back or exchange it while under warranty even though I said it was a lemon.

Original review: March 22, 2018

I have spent countless hours looking on all ‘help’ websites, calling and ‘chatting’ with ASUS technical support and it was the worst experience. After going on dozens of ‘help’ websites and trying everything anyone could offer to help, I am left with a useless ASUS Chromebook C300. I have never had a worse customer service/technical support service experience in my life! After attempting everything recommended by the ‘help’ websites, I finally broke down and called ASUS. There was a clear language barrier and I could not understand what the gentleman was saying. I cannot even tell you his name…

I had explained my issue – ‘OS MISSING OR DAMAGED’ – and stuck in the ‘RECOVERY IN PROGRESS’. I explained to him what I have tried to do, and his response was “I don’t know, there is nothing further you can do”. SERIOUSLY??? Thank you for your technical support. The next day I decided to ‘chat’ with an ASUS technical support person and that was just as bad. I have screenshots of entire ‘chat’ convo. Let’s just say, there was nothing TECHNICAL about the support. Absolutely horrific!

Original review: March 20, 2018

I purchased an ASUS laptop from Best Buy (whom I will also write a review on) for $270.00. The computer was slow from the start, but on day 35 STOPPED WORKING COMPLETELY! The ASUS company indicates that they have a one year warranty. Don't be fooled. This only means that they want it mailed to them so that they can refurbish it and send you back a $250.00 refurbished computer. They will not warranty the purchase of the computer, and they expect that you will just "do without" a computer while they refurbish it, indefinite wait time. The customer service was not helpful and suggested that I did something to make the computer stop working! OK, so just call me an idiot unfamiliar with today's technology. I will NEVER, EVER purchase another ASUS! They do not care about the quality of their product nor do they care about the expense for the person purchasing it.

Original review: March 15, 2018

Asus is selling the RADEON RX-560D reduced compute units (14) version as the RADEON RX-560 16 compute units full version. This crippled version the RADEON RX-560D has about a 20% reduced performance compared to the original RX-560. Though the chip manufacturer (AMD) is really responsible for this at least they are honest about it. I have spent about three hours on the phone with ASUS over the past two days and they will neither confirm or deny it. Attached is a screenshot showing the compute units for my board (which I will be returning today).

Original review: March 14, 2018

After years of purchasing new computers every 2-3 years I decided upon the recommendation of a friend to "invest" in ASUS "a better computer". This couldn't be further from the truth. This laptop was 4 times the cost of what I spent in the past and within the first year I started having problems. Specifically, every time I unplug my keyboard and use the keyboard on my laptop it reviews to some strange text and I have to use the num lock to get back to normal. Also twice now the internal speaker broke down which basically means that everything sound echoey and tinny and is terribly annoying. Also every few days my computer can't find the internal mic so using a headset is mandatory and even then it cuts itself off all the time. I'm so bummed out. I hate wasting money. Looks like I'll have to buy another computer again.

Original review: March 11, 2018

On October 2017, I made one of the worse decisions in my life by deciding to buy an ASUS laptop. I am a final year uni student and in desperate need of a good laptop to do my final year works and my loyal Acer laptop was nearing its end after being with me for more than 6 years. This time around I decided to try a new brand and went on to purchase an ASUS X441U Notebook. Worse decision ever!! The next day after I purchased it, the screen started to freeze and I brought it back to the shop and they fixed it for me. After 4 days, the laptop started shutting down on its own while I'm using it! This time around I brought it to Asus customer care (one of the worse!) and they took 1 week to fix it and didn't bother to explain in detail to me what was wrong with my laptop. They just mentioned that they changed the keyboard due to a short circuit and that's it.

Fast forward 2 weeks (I didn't use my laptop after bringing it back from the shop), the same problem again!! To make long story short, this problem repeated for 3 more times and each time the customer care said they changed different parts of my laptop. Now it's March 2018 and I still don't have a functioning laptop. The Asus customer service is one of the worst I've encountered with their lackadaisical attitude and rude manners.

It's been 3 weeks and they still have not contacted me regarding the new parts (my laptop is still with me as they said that the new parts are not here yet). I have to drive all the way to the service centre every time they call and manager even has the guts to question how much it costs me to drive each time there in a cynical manner when I told them that I have trouble traveling to and fro every time. Overall, it's been a never ending nightmare for me. My friends experienced similar problems with Asus and their subpar quality. Please stay away from this brand!!

Original review: Feb. 28, 2018

Should have been suspicious when Best Buy had this $1,200 laptop on "closeout". Battery suddenly failed after only 4 months of use. ASUS said to take it back to where I bought it (Best Buy). Best Buy's inept Geek Squad repair center has now had it for more than two weeks -- just to replace battery and motherboard (I think). When I was finally able to talk to a real person there, I asked if they thought I had a "lemon" and could get a replacement or credit for a new one (different brand). They said it usually takes at least 3 repair center trips before they do that. Based on the laptop's performance so far (and the ASUS reviews I've read), I might be in for more of the same before I can get a new one.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

I bought my Asus tablet on September 16, 2017, the power button was hard to turn on my tablet. The power button was receded into the tablet. Every time I turned on my tablet the power button sank more into the tablet where it became no longer functional to turn on. I called Asus since my warranty was still valid. They instructed me to send it back with an RMA # or something like that, and I had to pay for shipping.

We call them after not hearing back for a few weeks to see the status, they lied and said we opened up the back and the tablet had physical damage. Liars. We never opened up the back, never dropped it. They send a picture to us saying the back was tampered with, they had the back cover off, they were the ones who opened up the back not us. Then they had the nerve to say we need to pay them to have it fixed. I told the woman in whatever country I was calling, we're not paying for it and they were the ones who opened up the back not us. I made them send it back, The worst scam company ever. Never buy from them. I'm disputing the charges with my bank too.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

Bought a laptop and it lasted for less than a year with minimal usage. Call the company a month after the one year company warranty expired and was told that I had to pay more money than I paid for the laptop to have it repaired. The laptop was a gift for my sister living in Jamaica and as such I couldn’t get it back from her in time before the one year passed even though it stopped working before. They couldn’t care less. I will never buy or encourage anyone to buy anything from this company again. Poor quality products and horrible customer service!

Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

I am an international student in Canada. Bought a laptop from ASUS. The biggest mistake that I could make. As a month passed, I faced problem in hardware, now and then faced blue screen of death. Even on fresh image of Windows installation, the laptop worked so so slow as if the system was fully utilized. I have given my laptop to repair for at least 7 times and every time I receive my laptop I face the same problem. Being an international student and in subject of computers, I had no option but to use the college system as most of the time my system didn't work as expected or else it was with ASUS to get diagnosed. Sometimes I had to borrow system from my friends to complete my assignments and project. I had some tiresome day using their laptop.

Now, after an year they decided to replace the model that I have with a newer model. But as an option I just received one system that I could select. No problem, I accepted that, as I could have a new model which might not have any problem. I submitted my system and after 7 days I receive that option which was pretty much like, "I have this as the only system which I can give you." After selecting the model, they told me that the system will get shipped in 5 business days. It has been almost 7 days now and their own team don't have any update whether I am getting that system as replacement or when they will be shipping it to me.

This whole process took 15 days and by communicating I could figure out that this might take approximately 15 more number of days to ship my order. This has been pathetic experience that I could ever have with a system. I would never recommend to buy ASUS product even if that is sold for free or lowest price in comparison with their competitors.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

ASUS is the worst company I have ever dealt with. My <1 year old laptop completely stopped working, so I sent it in for repair. I followed all the packaging instructions (2 in padding, etc.) and paid the $26 shipping fee only to be notified by ASUS that my laptop had exterior damage. My laptop DID NOT have any damage when I sent it in, and I watched the post office worker package the laptop. Furthermore, ASUS insisted that the package was not damaged; so the only way it could have been damaged is if it was sent this way. They are complete con artist who assume no responsibility for their own faults. There is no protection for the consumer-- it's your word against theirs. DO NOT BUY ANY OF THEIR PRODUCTS UNLESS YOU WANT TO BE A VICTIM OF FRAUD.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

My mom brought this for I and my brother two Christmases ago and within the first year, my laptop began to freeze and not turn on. So I shipped it off in its 1 year warranty and they fixed it. When I got it back it was doing fine. Months later my brother laptop starts freezing and doing the same thing and to no avail could he turn his on. Since he is in college out of town, shipping it would be harder for him. Now that it is two years my laptop has once again become a pain to work with. It's constantly updating, freezing, cutting off, and deleting important files. Dealing with ASUS constantly in this manner shows me this is not a good brand and I can't wait to invest in a better laptop and leave them alone for good.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2018

I purchased this computer (Asus Q503) just over a year ago, it has been in service to Best Buy 3 times and Asus Service center once. It cost me $65 to have it sent in under warranty. The computer has had the memory cards replaced, the hard drive replaced, and the motherboard replaced. Each time the computer comes back wiped clean, requiring hours of redownloading photos and files and programs. This laptop has been a total unreliable piece of junk. This is my 3 Asus, and I have been a strong supporter of Asus, but after all the problems and lack of support from Asus and not willing to stand behind their products, it will be my last. I just purchased an expensive gaming computer for my daughter and it wasn't an Asus.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2018

Did my first PC build and bought the ASUS Prime Z270 - A motherboard. Got everything put into the case and get the beep when booting. I have not been able to install an OS of any kind, Windows or Linux. When Windows was loading file during setup, the monitor would freeze with red lines on the entire monitor screen. I tried different monitors and different cables. Still the same. I have been chatting with ASUS and didn't get a resolution because I was having problems locating the serial number. (My fault.) I have since found my serial number on the motherboard and will chat some more come Monday. Order number is from Newegg.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

Have been trying to use this dual band Wi-Fi device (USB-N53) on my Asus Q400A with a unsuitable N2230 Wi-Fi card. I am currently using Windows 10 and this device has not work properly since I purchased it at Staples about 1.5 years ago. Finally I called Asus to get driver updates and I am told they no longer support this device. I am not surprised considering the comments I have read regarding Asus product support and am surprised they are still in business, I guess I will just throw away this device and stay away from any future Asus products purchases.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

I never had problem with Asus for years and purchased Sabertooth 990FX version 3.0. This motherboard was first time that cause problems with BIOS. Asus technical support asked me to upgrade the BIOS with latest version. I told him almost 8 times as the version was latest released and problem was not solve. The problem I always received "Overclocking Failed". In fact that I have not use overclocking but remain as standard setting. Then they asked me to ship the motherboard with my own expense for shipping and may take up to three or four weeks for "repair". I told them this motherboard has issues by other users.

They also refused to exchange for different motherboard and they claimed that motherboard was no longer in product and only option was repair. My motherboard when I filed was only four weeks old. The version 3.0 was released and then discontinued quickly about four months in market. They told me, "Oh well the reason they stopped it very quickly because of new Ryzen processor so then they abandoned FX based and rush with new generation." I told them I have five years warranty on motherboard. They said, "Oh well, only repair not seek to replace it." They claimed they were no longer have the Sabertooth motherboard in stock.

I fed up with their excuses and not willing to help customers like myself. Their customer support service was nightmare as they scream for receipt repeatedly even I had the receipt sent to them. My greatest discourage Asus changed a lot lately and many customers were not happy with their "cruel" customer service and poor technical support. I had to purchase new different brand motherboard and it was successful without any problem. Then my Sabertooth FX990 motherboard already somewhere at the city dump site and no longer future purchase with Asus and Gigabyte. Do not believe their warranty coverage because it is all FAKE. You will never get your motherboard return with repaired. I hate to ask you, just do not buy any Asus or Gigabyte products until they have to change their system.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

If I could rate this company no stars I would've. Customer service is terrible. Cost me 50 bucks out of my pocket to ship them a defective less than a year old laptop that just ** the bed out of nowhere. Shut off while using it and wouldn't turn on or charge when it was fully charged. Company won't reimburse shipping for a 900$ plus tax laptop that's supposed to be top of the line. I will NEVER purchase an Asus product again. Was supposed to be one of the best laptops but yet a week and a half before warranty is up it crashes? Unacceptable. And company doesn't care, they're sorry. Yeah I'm sure. So sorry you cost me $50 to ship your product to you that's under warranty. And it'll take 7 to 10 business days to be repaired then I have to wait to get it back. Seems reasonable to be without my 900 plus laptop for that long and don't forget the time to ship there. Reporting to BBB.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2017

My son paid approximately $2000 for this computer (ASUS Zenbook Pro UX501VW) expecting it to be good quality. At about the 14 month mark it stopped working (motherboard was fried). Asus replaced it with another unit but that one only lasted 6 months before it stopped working. Terrible product and absolutely horrible customer service. Would not buy another Asus product.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

I was really upset with the rebate offer. I mailed my rebate and they confirm receipt June 30, 2017 and until now I hasn't received my rebate!!! This is the longest rebate I ever processed! If I only knew I wouldn't do it... Don't buy products of ASUS that offers rebate. It will take sooooo long. I will never buy ASUS product that offers rebate. I will not consider it as an option in buying their product because you will wait for so long and you will forget it before you get it...

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

Bought this Asus R556L laptop to do my design work and for school but after two years the laptop started to overheat while in conjunction with the sound card shorted and stopped working. Then Windows 10 stopped loading and keep going to the Bios. I tried to update the drivers but it didn't seem to help at all. This my first time buying an Asus laptop and after seeing all the complaints about their laptops, I think I will be sticking to buying their computer components that are more reliable before I consider buying a Notebook from them again.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

AC-RT88U Router. I had the first one replaced due to failed 2.4GHZ radio. It took way too long and my out of pocket shipping expense to get a replacement. Now this replacement is showing anomalies I would like to ask about but getting a response in email via their ridiculous support site is futile.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2017

I have an ASUS laptop xl540l I believe is the model... At about the 10 1/2 11 month mark the computer began to randomly shut off. The battery was still charged and sometimes would do when still plugged in. Computer would not always start when unplugged again even if battery was charged. I filled out the info on the ASUS website and received a BIOS update... This did nothing... I think this was just to pass the time. I continued to use the computer and the problem got progressively worse to the point the computer would not turn on at all if not plugged in and would guaranteed turn off within five minutes of pulling plug. Now I contact them again and about 4-6 weeks later was sent an RMA and a FedEx ticket. I figure they finally looked into it and reviewed the files.

2 weeks after they receive it they now tell me it's going to be 130$ to replace the battery that I complained about prior to warranty being up. I unfortunately have no records of my prior communication but I'm sure they do. This is apparently a common problem and I'm sure they know that too. Just another company taking advantage. I purchased two of these computers and am just waiting for the second one to start giving my wife problems too. DONE with ASUS and will be sure to tell anyone I know stay away and put this up wherever I can. A reputable company will work with you when one of their products gives up just after warranty especially when I began communicating with them prior to that happening.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

The Asus 2 in 1 touch screen model Q304UA was sold to me as the state of the art laptop. It is the state of frustration. Slow to get started, locks up, refuses to shut down. Numerous calls to Asus and Geek Squad to no avail. On more than one call to Asus, I was told to call 24 hours later because their servers were down. WHAT??? I sent the laptop back to Asus 4 times. Once they sent it back and the machine wouldn't even turn on out of the box - obviously no QA in the repair department.

I sent letters with each return, but no one reads them. They don't even provide a report to tell me what repairs were performed. I just sent it back for the 4th time and asked for a replacement. They have had it a week now. I called Asus and was told my request is being evaluated and someone will get back to me in 24 to 48 hours. On the phone, the customer service reps keep telling me they are so sorry for the inconvenience. After hundreds of "sorries" and no action, my ears are deaf. I still have hope of getting a replacement but I am not optimistic that it will work any better. Guess it is a $700 lesson. This review is my only payback.

ASUS expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in Taipei, Taiwan in 1989, Asus is a manufacturer of computer and technology solutions. ASUS products include mobile phones, desktop PCs, laptops, tablets and more.

• Asus Vivo: The Asus Vivo line of PCs is its basic desktop tower. Vivo PCs are designed to perform as all-around computers for home or office use.

• Asus Transformer: The Asus Transformer is a 2-in-1 PC that can be used as a tablet or as a laptop. It is a lightweight computer designed for portability and convenience.

• Republic of Gamers: Asus’ Republic of Gamers line of gaming desktop towers and laptops are gaming machines capable of high-end PC performance. There are various models at different prices.

• All-in-one PCs: Asus Vivo AiO and Zen AiO computers are its all-in-one PCs. They are available in touch-screen models.

• Asus Mini PCs: Asus Mini PCs condense all the functionality of a desktop PC into a compact box for office use. These devices are primarily marketed to businesses.

• Best for: Asus computers are best for businesses, home offices, casual users, gamers and anyone else looking for a computer.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs