Ascendtech

Willoughby, Ohio

Compare Online Shopping Companies

Research top Online Shopping Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I purchased a computer from Ascendtech online. As it was a gift it was not opened for a couple of weeks after purchase. Once turning it on and setting it up the whole operating system was corrupted. They never sent a windows disk that we paid for with the computer. I contacted them to fix the issue and tell them there was no windows disk. Their solution was to have me download one from Microsoft's site. The computer would not even recognize that a disk was in place. The whole computer is inoperable and locked up. It has now been over the 30 days for the return, but the entirety of what was paid for has not been sent. Also the product has never worked as intended. I have emailed them about this once the problem first occurred multiple times, but they have not responded. I called them and the only resolution I could get was them emailing me a link to download windows.

I, too, fell for the deceptive selling practices of Ascendtech, but I 'm lucky -- I only lost the return postage cost. I ordered a Toshiba laptop motherboard and when it arrived it was DOA. Call Ascendtech and got a RMA issued. Paid the return postage and asked for a replacement. Received an email saying "this product is no longer in stock" and that I would receive a refund. The refund was for the original purchase price, so I had to eat the return shipping cost. Not that much money but it wasn't my fault the product was defective. Purchased from Ascendtech because the price was lower than other dealers. Should have known better. Wouldn't surprise me if they simply return the defective mobo to their stock for some future sucker. LOL. Certainly will not be purchasing anything from this dealer.

I purchased a motherboard from them via eBay for a i5 cpu I had. I had to order other parts like memory and a power supply as well and really did not notice their meager 30 day warranty. I had trusted in the quality of the parts they sell and I was extremely... sadly... mistaken. Like everyone else here, I was taken for my money by being sent defective items. I unfortunately did not get to install this motherboard until a little while after the 30 days only to find it would not post at all. I contacted them several times trying to explain that the motherboard was defective and broken the moment they packed it up and sent it to me.

Not that I used it for 3 weeks THEN it broke. Their basic answer is sorry there is nothing they can do about it. It's out of warranty. I asked for a simple exchange, not a refund, just a exchange to show they stand behind their products and strive to have happy customers. I mean don't they test these items BEFORE they send them out? Basically, no, they don't. Twice I've already basically been told no. There goes 50 bucks down the tubes from another dishonest company. Like everyone else here, STAY AWAY and do not buy from them. You will probably get a defective item!

After reading all these bad reviews I guess I am lucky I only got ripped off of $45. Bought a motherboard from them and after taking a ton of time to put it in and configure it the PCIE slot was defective when I tried to add in my video card. They had me troubleshoot by replacing every component in the PC before telling me now my warranty was up. Please learn from my and others hard luck. Stay off Pricewatch as well. They used to be reputable but now suck and don't care that companies like this are ripping people off.

Do not buy from this company. If you need to exchange or refund, they will charge all of shipping, restocking, and other fees. There are a lot of cases like me. I bought a motherboard and it was not working, so I returned for replacement. They said "customer pay to shipping for replacement" and they said "the motherboard was ok." But I was sure it completely dead. They refund only $28 after $20 fee. That is completely ripoff.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ascendtech?

Purchased $200 worth of new parts in Dec. After a week, my pc lost all video. I tried everything and even talked to them, I ended up sending the motherboard back, the manufacturer said it was bad, and Ascend confirmed it. Another month goes by until I receive a "new" motherboard. It’s not the same model. I install it and have no audio of course. So I talk to them again, we go thru everything, and the guy had an attitude about it--like they were the only humans on earth that can build a simple pc. I sent the 2nd board back and wait and wait... I finally call them and they say the board works fine. OH--and I had to pay shipping EVERYTIME. Latest board showed up WARPED and with different memory stick installed!!! I give up and will NEVER buy anything from this shady place again.

Ordered motherboard, (I am a tech) received wrong board. Politely asked how to return for correct one, they emailed back that "I" ordered the wrong part. They don't know why "I" ordered the wrong part, etc. I sent copy of part I ordered, also pics of wrong motherboard and my computer and motherboard. Came back ruder than ever and expect me to pay to ship it back, never offered to send correct motherboard, which tells me they obviously don't have it. Long story short, I contacted my CC company and filed a dispute. COMPLETE RIPOFF.

The motherboard was ordered on November 21, and paid for. There was an additional charge to do an in-house test before it was shipped, which I paid. On December 2, I still had not received the shipment, even though the product was supposed to be in stock. I was on the phone with them for exactly 28 minutes because they could not find my order information. Finally, I was told that the motherboard was out of stock and it would be shipped within a week. Their website order status still says it was shipped on December 2, which is untrue, and the tracking number that was provided was non-existent. The motherboard finally arrived in mid-December. I installed it in January, and it was defective.

I contacted service@ascendtech.com via email on January 19th, and was told that I needed to contact support@ascendtech.com. I had to leave the country, and did not return until end of March, 2015. I contacted support@ascendtech.com and '**' wrote back and said it was not under warranty anymore. I called ** directly on April 13. He was rude, demeaning, and insulting, and after 12 minutes of tolerating this ignorance, he finally said he had no authority to change the policy, and that I needed to speak with ** who was not in the office that day. I called on April 14th, and after another 5 minutes on the phone, the receptionist said that ** was not in, but would be in later. She took my number and said he would call me back. He never did.

On May 15th I contacted them to inquire as to why I was not called back. ** (same rude fellow) wrote a long dissertation explaining why no one at Ascendtech would have promised a call back, and how my complaint was still past warranty, and that they had tested it before shipping. WRONG! They were supposed to test it, and I contacted them within 30 days of the product arrival. These guys have no understanding about customer service, they are only interested in sales, they didn't test the product, even though they charged me for it, and ** is the rudest person I have ever talked to in any customer service department in the 25 years I have been in the IT industry. DO NOT BUY FROM THESE PEOPLE.

I wish I had read the reviews so many people have left about this ** company with their broken products! My husband and I JUST dished out over $700 for a PC, we chose what we wanted, AscendTech built it and it was on our way. A week after the warranty expires: Lo and behold, the PC just STOPS. Big ** surprise. Of course, because it's out of warranty, we can do nothing about it. Wonderful news. You better believe I'm going to blast the ** out of this company everywhere I can. I'm going ghetto and letting everyone know what ** these people give out, defective products, ** customer service, the works. I can't BELIEVE I spent so much for something that would just break down. I mean I could get an emachine from ** Walmart that would last years instead of this cruddy hunk of ** metal sitting on my desk.

Tried to purchase a Intel Core i5-2430M Laptop CPU Processor from these guys. Used Paypal, they took my payment and said "Your Order Was Successful!" 24 hours later I get an email from them saying the part is out of stock and I have to wait 1 to 3 business days to get my money back. Not that it is a lot of money and I can't live without it for a few days. It's the principle of it. Don't waste your time with these guys.

I bought a 3-heatpipe cooler from them for $8 free shipping. It's for an old Dell. It was used, but at that price I was OK with it. I ordered another one same part # and received a different cooler with less than the 3-heatpipes shown, and a different part # on it. They've now changed the picture, to match the 2nd one. For $8 I'm not going to send it back. But I had told others about the $8 3-heatpipe coolers there and so I've lost some credibility by trying to send business their way. BTW on a lot of their motherboards they charge $10 to test it before shipping. I guess that says it all about what to expect from their products, you have to pay extra if you want something that works. I now use their photos to find what I need, then buy elsewhere.

Purchased a INTEL D915 LGA775 800FEB PCIe x16 motherboard on October 22, 2014. It is November 3rd, 2014 and have not received the item. Phoned 216-458-1101 at 1503 Central time and received a recording that their business closed at the time with no listing or recording of their business time. When first call made about item, an alien answered the phone, one with an attitude. This business should be closed down but seems to be protected by the US Government. Never again will I do business with this company, nor should you.

Ordered a main board (ECS P67H2-A LGA1155 P67 DDR3 SATA3 MB). I received it in an obviously repackaged box. The manual was for the wrong main board. It was missing cables. I had an identical main board in another machine so I proved that. This used BAD MB they sent me did not. I sent it back for a refund. Not only did I have to pay shipping back to them, but they ALSO took another $12.00 off my refund. Steve was a total jerk through email, threatening me with attorneys taking away my home and all my livelihood if I reported their underhanded dealings (voice and email). DO NOT ORDER FROM THESE PEOPLE!

I like so many others here fell victim to their return shipping scam. As others have said they sell you something that is supposed to be new, but is really used or defective junk. I purchased a power supply from them for a great price and "free" shipping. Well of course it arrived DOA. The power supply was not new. It was in a decent box, but the power supply was not wrapped in a static protective back or anything. New power supplies are always wrapped in static protective bags. So I didn't want a replacement from them, I wanted a refund. So of course when I contacted them, they claim that I had to pay for return shipping AND IF after they tested the power supply they found the power supply defective, they would refund my money MINUS shipping. Now the cost to ship back was almost $14 on a $22 power supply. Then if they did decide to give me a refund (and not lie and claim that the power supply was not DOA), they would deduct $14 from the refund leaving me even more in the negative. So I basically paid $22 for a paperweight. These people are disgusting, and need to be stopped. Stay away from these people if you aren't yet a victim of them.

I bought a video card that was marketed as being brand new. The company has a 30-day warranty. Due to circumstance beyond my control, I did not open the package and install the card until a few days outside the warranty period. The product did not work and was completely defective right out of the package. I contacted their customer service explaining the situation and emphasizing the product being defective from day 1, thereby requesting leniency and an exception due to the extremely short amount of time outside the warranty. They refused any help and would not respond to my email. This company sells products that do not meet their marketing claims and have the appearance of just wanting to grab the money and run. I'll never do business with them again and will spread the word.

Order parts that were listed as new, received old used parts that did not work!! Called and foreign fellow hung up on us several times, would not return monies!!! DO NOT ORDER FROM THESE CROOKS!!

Bought motherboard and CPU from these guys. According to the website, both were new, retail items, not listed as used or OEM. Got the order in, the motherboard was opened, nothing but the motherboard in the box, no driver CD, no manual, no cables or adapters, and it was in a Foxconn box without any description about what was inside. I had order an INTEL motherboard, they didn't send me one. And then I checked the CPU, it was not new and was not retail, but OEM, which was not indicated in their website, but instead was scratched and used, with dried, caked on dielectric grease stuck in the CPU still. Called them up, talked to Steve. He quickly got defensive, started making all kinds of crazy stuff up about the brand and socketing and refused to accept that the website stated "Manufacturer: Intel"... and hung up on me when I refused to accept his bum rush lies.

Called back, talked to supervisor "Val"... who actually admitted over the phone that they don't have the CPU in stock, or the Intel motherboard they accepted my money for, and he offered to send me a return label. These folks knew that they were sending me bogus parts before they even accepted my PayPal payment. It's criminal, organized crime over the internet. Pics show website advertising Intel manufactured motherboard, and they used CPU highlight 1 with scratches and 1 with dielectric grease still stuck to the CPU after I cleaned it to see what kind of CPU it was (when I got it, you could not read the ID info on the CPU).

Ordered a whole system for My 16-year-old's birthday. System arrived DOA. No video. Troubleshot the system on my own for over 1 hour. I am not A+ certified. I am a CNE, MCSE and CCA. Attempted to get video from the machine for another hour after being asked by Steve to troubleshoot and declining due to already having troubleshot the issue. Spoke with VAL who indicated if I at least attempted to reset the CPU, he would send me a return label to get a refund or replacement PC. LIED. Stated that because I used profanity, they would not pay for return shipping. I am disputing the charge with my CC company. 100% accurate in my account. I will admit to using profanity. One can only take so much abuse from a company such as this before you have to take a stand. I will update once I have my funds returned.

I bought a system from them on Pricewatch. I had 4 monitors and it said on their site: "Dual monitor support can be achieved through using a separate PCI-Express video card with at least 2 of the following video outputs, DVI, VGA, HDMI & DP (Display Port). For Triple or Quad monitor support, 2 video cards must be used with dual outputs along with the motherboard containing 2 PCI-Express x16 slots." So, I bought two cards. I later found out while a friend was helping me put the system together that they outright lied about needing two cards. Matter of fact, the card I had supported up to 4 monitors and all I needed was two dongles. They refused to take back the second card. Those people are outright crooks.

I purchased a new motherboard from this company. After receiving the board, I noticed that one of the capacitors was already bad. I contacted Ascendtech and reported the problem. They offered me a replacement or refund. At my cost, I would have to pay for the shipping back to them and lose the original shipping. They said they would deduct from my refund for this bad motherboard. When I asked why, they said that it was their policy and that I should have read it carefully. So this company will not stand behind their product. They are selling used parts as new, so beware of buying from Ascendtech. I did fight this through PayPal, but found out I would still have to pay the shipping back. I'll keep the board and take the loss.

Buyer beware, do not do not do not buy from this company. Pay a little more buying from somewhere else. I purchased a video card, which was defective. After returning and spending $9 to ship, I was told it was ok, which is ** because I tried it in 3 different computers and 6 pcie slots. After reading many reviews, I found out that is their normal practice to make a couple of dollars from everyone. Do not buy from this joke of ** company. I would never buy from them again. I would never accept anything free from them.

Well, I have ordered from them twice now and the pricing is pretty good. Their website is also pretty good because it lays out all the items you need/might need for your project(s). However, my complaint is the time it takes from the point of order to the delivery of product. They do not offer free ground shipping so that is added to the price. So far, it's been nearly $20 extra for each order I have placed. Comparatively, I could spend the same with a competitor and get free ground shipping and receive my order in less time. It feels like a slap to the face to pay for ground and then have to wait nearly 3 weeks for delivery as well. For this reason alone, I have decided that I won't be coming back which is a shame. They have the means to make it a good experience but they choose not to.

I bought a lot of 50 6-ft. 2 Prong Ac Power Cables for $74.99, free shipping. I opened the box, all different wrapped in rubber bands, some wrapped with string. It looked used. Last time I bought this, it was new, sealed in plastic but not this time around. I tried to get a refund - it was not easy. I called the company and they said no, that I have to email them. They emailed me to say, "Mail it back." I'm out $40 to mail it back, for their mistake.

I ordered online via Ascendtech a replacement motherboard for my Dell Dimension 2400, advertised to be identical. The shipped board had no remaining identifiable part #, the rear panel connector arrangement differed, and worst of all, the board did not work and did not power up my PC. There was confusion regarding the part #, an incorrect order # I mistakenly supplied them, but that was remedied, which is not germane to this discussion. Ascendtech's service rep, Steve, never did admit to any defective product, forcing me to return the board at my ship expense. Further, they issued me a refund of $33 instead of the $45 purchase price. I don't know why the short amount. I have every reason to think the board was installed correctly. The installation of my original board worked as it always had.

Based on their website, I ordered 10 new video cards of the same make. They shipped 2 very used video cards. I notified them that this wasn't what I had ordered and asked that they send a call tag for the return. They refused to do this. The customer service rep was very unprofessional (even started calling me names and stuff). Ultimately, I simply had the charge removed from my credit card. I would be very wary about dealing with this merchant.

I sent back two motherboards that were defective. (I'm a 15-year certified tech.) Steve lost my RMA at the dock for five days, but found it after I called and told him that UPS verified that he signed for it. They said it was improperly packaged and one was crushed in shipping and it was my fault so he'd only refund one. I've bought seven motherboards from them last month. They got sarcastic with me telling me I was a retard for thinking he received my RMA already when UPS verified it five days earlier that he signed for it. He lied all along. I'm out $19 2nd day air delivery X2, plus $27 for one board, plus $16 to send both back. He told me he'd only refund one and to not e-mail him ever again.

I ordered a 24" monitor online for $219.99, which arrived very scratched for a refurbished product. After less than 12 hours, it stopped functioning. I contacted Ascendtech asking for a replacement, but it was the last one they had and no other product offers the same functionality. I then asked for a refund, which they agreed upon, but they want me to pay for the shipping of this 20lb. package back to them, supposedly in agreement to their return policy. Now that I am complaining, they threaten to charge me for a 20% restocking fee. So this company takes no responsibility for shipping defective merchandise and if you happen to receive some, you have to pay for the return if you want to get what is left of your refund! This is seriously difficult to believe. I told them I would file a complaint at the BBB and their answer was: "As a side note, we are not a member of the BBB."

I ordered a motherboard for a Dell 560 Inspiron that was $99.99, and a driver's disc that was $9.99. I received the motherboard without a new motherboard bow, and a disc in a plain cardboard shipping box wrapped in bubble wrap. I installed the board, and saw that this was a bad board also, and did the same thing mine was doing. I placed the board, and disc back in the box and sent it back to Ascendtech after getting an RMA number. I spent $110.00, and they returned to me $70.40. I wasted $40.00 for a bad motherboard and a bad company.

I called and ordered a custom-made computer from a person named Jim from this company. I put $566.89 on my bank debit card. When the PC came, it was well-packed. The boxes were fine but the PC case was dented. I called and paid to send it back and they sent another PC. I opened the box and hooked it up but it would not turn on. I got blue screen windows that can't start.

I called Jim who wasn't too nice. He helped me get the PC to turn on. After that, I left it on and went into other room to start dishes. When I came back, the PC was off again. This unit did this at will and it was not set up for power saver (I checked). I tried to play a game we installed but all the colors were weird. For the few days that it was in our home, it randomly shut off.

I called them, paid again to send it back, and all they would put back into my account was $433.27. They claimed that nothing was wrong with the PC and that was their price for a re-stocking fee. They also failed to send the computer I ordered because it was missing the third fan.

On 04/25/2011, I placed an online order (order number **) with AscendTech, a vendor located in Willoughby, Ohio, for a custom computer system. The order included the system price of $820.74 and shipping and handling of $41.18 for a total of $861.92. The order shipped on 05/02/2011 by FedEx, in a single box weighing 18#. The order was received and, upon opening and attempting to power up the system, it began to do a series of beeps. As a computer technician of over 30 years, I have dealt with issues like this before. When I looked up the motherboard's manufacturer troubleshooting guide, for the 1 long beep and 8 short beeps code, it stated that this indicated a video card problem. I called AscendTech and spoke with "Steve", who said for me to try to reseat the system memory.

When I explained that the motherboard's manufacturer troubleshooting guide had said that the issue was with the video card, he said it was his "experience that those guides were not reliable and that it was probably a system memory problem" and that I should reseat the memory and try again. So I opened the system up per his directive and reseated the memory, but the system beeped again. While the system was open, I noticed that the video card was not properly fastened at the time AscendTech personnel put the system together. It was neither screwed down at the system rear nor was it properly clipped into the PCI-E slot at the front. (Pictures showing this were taken before proceeding). When I properly seated the video card and clipped/screwed it into place, the system would not even power on at this point. No beeps, nothing. So I pulled the card completely out and tried powering up again, and we were back to the beeps.

When emailed Steve about this, I told him that I suspected that the loose video card, which had not been properly installed by AscendTech personnel, had raked over the motherboard during shipping and had damaged either the motherboard, the video card or both. I also told him that the power button on the system was sticking, and that the computer case was made of extremely thin metal and had bent at the back support rails, probably due to the video card. Steve emailed back that they would send a RMA for the item and that return shipping was my responsibility! When I complained that since the damage to the system was not my fault but AscendTech’s, and I did not feel it was right to be charged for return shipping, he said that this was their policy. When I replied several times, even asking his to reconsider and to ask his supervisor, I received an email from "Val" (supervisor) stating that it was "their policy to not refunding shipping."

I can see this policy as being just and even needed when it comes to manufacturer defects that are beyond the control of AscendTech or return from customers who ordered something wrong, again beyond the control of AscendTech. But this is clearly a case where AscendTech’s own people caused the problem. I sent the system back per the RMA, paying $55.85 to send it with tracking and insurance, per AscendTech’s request, on 05/20/2011. Tracking confirmed receipt by AscendTech on 05/26/2011. As of 06/01/2011 my credit card still had not shown a refund to be issued, so I emailed Steve. He wrote back saying the credit was issued on 05/28/2011.

On 06/02/2011 the credit, minus shipping, was showing on the cards account, dated 05/31/2011. Since this whole episode was caused by the failure of AscendTech’s personnel to properly assemble the system, which caused the damage and forced the return of the system at my expense, I feel AscendTech should refund both the original shipping of $41.18 and the return shipping of $55.85. I am out the original$41.18 shipping and the return shipping of $55.85 even though it was their fault!

Ascendtech Company Profile