Apple iPod

Compare Miscellaneous

Research top Miscellaneous recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I purchased an iPod touch 3rd gen years ago. It was the first Apple product that I bought... and the last too! Though very very expensive compared to other products, I found it amazing at first. The design and look is great. The apps are better compared to Blackberry and android. It's fast. It can take picture and videos, it can play music, I can surf the net, chat, etc. It can practically do everything that I wanted to do. It was perfect... at first.

First problem I had was with the screen. The LCD has a tiny broken part at the upper left corner of the screen. Don't know what happened. Then the home button got broken too. I can't press it anymore. It's like stuck. Not sure what also happened. Then the battery doesn't last that long anymore. Also, when the higher gens came out and the OS has to be updated, most of the apps updated too and required higher OS versions. My current apps also updated so I can't play their updated version since I can't update my OS version. I can't download also new apps because they require higher OS versions. Now, my iPod touch 3rd gen rests inside my drawer for, I think, 5 years now. Waste of money. I thought it would last forever...

I had purchased an Apple IPOD classic 160 GB and had paid around Rs.11000 for it. No doubt it gave good service. Of late the battery suddenly drops after full charging - I approached the authorized dealer at Mumbai Charni Road for change of battery. I was politely told that Apple has discontinued with this model. In India it is indeed a hefty sum for a senior citizen like me and I was shocked with the answer I received. Pride, arrogance, highhandedness and lack of humility are nothing but a clear indication of a drastic fall in the consumer market. I wish to make it abundantly clear that I am not asking for any untoward favors but as a matter of right as a customer asking for reasonable and genuine service for A BATTERY REPLACEMENT FOR WHICH I AM WILLING TO PAY REASONABLE SERVICE CHARGES AND FOR THE REPLACEMENT BATTERY.

I am confident that Apple if it continues in this manner is surely and certainly heading The Nokia way, a Giant across the seven seas had to bite the dust for its arrogance. I do hope wiser counsel will prevail and Apple will treat its customers with respect and dignity which they rightly deserve. Regards and hoping to see my problem solved at an early date.

I am a long-time owner of multiple Apple products. Recently my iPod nano stopped working. I called Apple Support and they could not fix the device. The device was only 13 months old with a 12 month warranty. I have never had this problem before with an Apple product and I would expect the nano to last more than 13 months. Obviously they would not replace the nano but because I have multiple Apple products I thought as a measure of good faith they would at least replace with a refurbished product.

I just upgraded my iPod touch 5th generation to iOS 9.0.1 and immediately after the upgrade, it would no longer work on my 3 Panasonic docking stations/chargers. I use my iPod for music and audio books and this recent upgrade disabled my ability to listen to them on my docking stations. I called Apple and they told me to sync my iPod with iTunes and back it up. This made it impossible for me to return to my previous software of iOS 8 because of their poor advice. Apple sealed my fate and rendered my iPod (the very newest iPod ) AND my docking station useless. I told my friends about it and some of them said that the upgrade froze their devices (can't even turn them on) and others said that they were having docking station issues as well. I am of the opinion that an upgrade should enhance your experience; not take it away.

Received a new iPod touch as a gift. Less than a year the battery died. It cost 79 plus tax to replace with another new iPod touch. Now 7 months later there is a hardware problem, the iPod will not connect wireless. I am told it will be 99 plus tax to replace for another new iPod. My iPod has never been abused or handled roughly so it's my opinion that it's just a piece of garbage. I feel like I'm leasing it for 100 a year.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Apple?

With technology what it is today Apple is a huge letdown... That is why I've stayed away and regret. I finally thought I'd buy a nano... Well battery lasted 5 hours... Yes I charged it properly... I've known a while Apple does not want to make a long lasting product... They should be embarrassed with what they offer... $150 for a too compact piece of crap that comes with $5 headphones... Seriously?!... What a joke... I had my nano 1 day and it's going back... Some company needs to seriously come along and just wipe them out with a durable comfortable long lasting product... 30 hrs battery life is bs... Just disgusted!

Ordered a new ipod 5th in pink 32GB for Christmas for my 14 year old daughter. We were delivered a non working iPod, had to take it back to Apple store to be given a refurbished one after I paid full price for a new one not a used one they fixed. Well the one they gave us in placement doesn't work either correctly. And now we're fighting still 2 months after Christmas to get a working iPod. Apple doesn't stand by their products and everything I buy from them has to be fixed numerous times. It's despicable and I'm done throwing my money away. If I want used I will seek one out for way less money. Apple can kiss my grits! I'm done and they will never get another penny out of me!!! GUARANTEED!

After paying for a new iPod after my old one died, I now have the iPod nano 7th generation. Unfortunately my older laptop running XP would not recognize the nano. I took all the steps recommended by Apple but to no avail. So I paid to have all my music moved up to the iCloud so that another of my laptops (running Windows 7 and that does recognize my new nano) could be used as the laptop for syncing. I then learned that using my second computer, I cannot sync to the iCloud but have to download all the music to the second computer.

I've tried just copying the music from an external hard drive onto the second laptop but iTunes won't recognize it. I have spent at least 8 hours (1 1/2 on the phone with Apple) and still have not resolved this issue. I think that the way their system is set up, they just want a person to continually buy the newest item they're selling - no matter that there are still items at home that work.

iPod Touch 5th Generation not good for picture taking!!!!!!! - I recently bought my wife an iPod Touch on her birthday for the exact purpose of her wanting to take photos of her vacation. Was I surprised and angered when she called me from her vacation to inform me that my gift was totally worthless for taking photos. She and her friends spent a long time trying to figure out how to take photos not facing the user. There is no rear facing camera on this piece of crap device. Who in their right mind came up with the stupid idea not to put a rear facing camera on this iPod. Who wants to take selfies all day long.

My wife is very angry and told me she wanted to throw the iPod touch out the car window. Please fire the genius who thought this idea would be an improvement on the iPod brand. I am going to sell this junk to whoever offers me half the price I paid for it and purchase an older version with a rear facing camera. Shame on Apple for being so ignorant on such an important component to the iPod family.

I am the iPod Classic user 120giga since 2009. On Nov 2013 that device had trouble on the headphone port. Every time I plug the headset, the voice comes out on one side only. On 5 Nov 2013, I checked the device to the eStore, the Apple Service Provider on first ground Ratu Plaza, Jakarta, Indonesia. I do understand since it's 5 years old device the warranty no longer applied, and based on Apple policy, the iPod isnt' allowed to be repair. The option available to me is doing the exchange the old device with the new one, by paying USD 159 equal IDR 1,820,550, with 3 months warranty since used. I decided to pay the exchange with faith on the good quality of the product and long lasting. I got the new exchange an iPod Classic 160giga.

However what happens afterwards, 8 months later, 8 July 2014, the new iPod Classic had an error. It been off after I did file synchronizing. I am so disappointed, as it only 8 months since I got the new one, and consider seldom been used, only when I travel. I returned to the same service provider and of course it unable to be changed, or to be repaired as the warranty only for 3 months. The only option available for me is same like 8 months ago, which is to do the exchange; this time the amount is USD 185, equal IDR 2,150,000. Of course I am not going to do the exchange again after 8 month ago I lost USD 159. (fyi: the new iPod Classic is USD 249).

There is nothing I can do but accept the fact I wasted USD 159 for an iPod Classic that only works for 8 months. This experience really changes my impression on Apple products, the services, and the policies. The Apple Service Provider did not have any perspective on exchange product malfunction possibility, and of course more on accusing the potentiality that I might not using the device properly, fell down, etc. The Apple Service Provider forget the fact 8 months ago, the device I had been used works perfectly for 5 years. I hope consumers learn from my experience, be aware of the exchange product quality, and reconsider if you plan to have exchange Apple products. And hope the consumer board would pay attention on this type of policies which harm the consumer.

I am very disappointed with Apple. My older daughter has a 4th generation 16 GB iPod touch she got for her birthday. So for my youngest one for her birthday, there were no more 4th generation 16 GB. So I figure the 5th generation 16 GB would have the same features just an updated model. Well to my surprise it does not have the rear facing camera. Who the heck wants to take pictures of themselves. My daughter can only take pictures of herself. If we go on vacation she can't take pictures this was stupid of apple to do. I am loosing respect for them fast.

Re Apple's iPOD Touch, the front facing camera was removed from 5th Gen 16 MB device. This was purchased to replace my granddaughter's lost 4th Gen 8 GB iPod which had this camera. Apple's iPod webpage shows pictures with this camera but if you dig deeper, you learn that you must spend more and buy the 32GB iPod G5 to get the front-facing camera. I consider this to be deceptive advertising to former Apple customers who would not expect Apple to cheapen their product. Consequence for me was a very disappointed granddaughter on XMAS night. Shame on Apple.

I upgraded to a 5th generation Nano and it lasted a year and a half. My first nano lasted more than 8 years so I expected better from a new one. The white death screen appeared and could not be repaired. They offered a refurbished one for $89. Complete waste of money. It lasted just 6 months. After making an appointment, I learned I can get 10% off a new one or another refurbished one for $59. I'm not going to waste any more money. I filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and got a stock reply from Apple. I guess they are making so much money, they don't care about their customers.

My radio display goes blank when my iPod is connected and playing. Sometimes, it works and most of the time, it does not.

The on/off button on our iPod Nano 6th generation was stuck in the "in" position, a situation that has been described by iPod repairmen as the most common repair they make. From reading the experiences of fellow Nano owners, there is little doubt that this problem and others are a result of faulty design and/or substandard parts. If it was a car, it would have been recalled regardless of warranty. The Apple store manager offered an insufficient discount on the purchase of a new Nano. It felt like he was trained to turn a customer complaint into a profit opportunity. The manager brushed aside Apple's responsibility for this substandard product which, in light of the avalanche of user complaints and their knowledge of poor workmanship, can be called a scam on the unsuspecting public.

When we got the Nano in December 2012, the problems were well known to Apple for eleven months but not disclosed to their prospective customers. What to do? Insist on taking your legitimate complaint to the manager. Resist the insufficient remedies they offer. Demand better customer service. Take your complaint to Apple's website. Be professional but direct. Let them know that by not taking responsibility for their mistakes, you are less likely to buy Apple products in the future. Apple is a company with a billion dollar in cash reserves. Remind them they have their customers to thank. Be strong. With enough expressed dissatisfaction, we may help Apple be a more responsible billion dollar corporation.

I had a 6th generation Nano and one of the volume buttons got stuck and wouldn't work. Apple replaced that Nano under the 1 year warranty. A few months later, the replacement nano is suffering from the same issue - only with the sleep/wake buttons. Unfortunately, that iPod is not under warranty because it only comes with a 90-day warranty and it expired. If I want a replacement, I would have to pay for a call to support and pay for a replacement. Frankly, I think that would be a waste of money because I am convinced the replacement will suffer from the same condition. A smarter use of my money would be to buy a different product. Also, from reading the online postings, the issues with the buttons appear to be a manufacturing or design defect and they appear to be very widespread.

Nano 6th Generation - I only use the Nano when running. It went dead so I went into the Apple Genius Bar. They said it was dead due to water damage. I told him I only use it when I run and it’s in a baggie. He said, “Sorry, it’s water damage.” If you are a runner, think twice before purchasing a Nano. I had it for less than 9 months. Sweat or condensation in a baggie - give me a break. Don't waste your money on the Nano if you plan to use it when running.

We bought an iPod Nano 6th generation and it was a complete waste of money. One year after we got it, it just completely died. I brought it in to an Apple store to find out what's going on, and they said there was water damage. What? I have never gotten the device wet. My husband and I used it for running, so the only thing that makes sense is "sweat". I thought this product was meant to be used for exercising. Of course, because it's water damage, it's not covered by warranty.

I read many reviews and it seems many people have had the same problem with it. I really wish I would've read the reviews before I bought this iPod. I'm so disappointed that they couldn't do anything, but offered for me to buy another one for $65. If you're thinking of using this for running/exercising, you may be better off getting something else.

Dead iPods - My iPod touch 4th generation was replaced 20 times, and I cannot get a single unit in my hands that truly and actually does work. I’m fed up of consumer relations; executive customer relations does nothing.

I shipped in my 4th generation iPod Touch to have the cracked screen fixed and paid $89.99 for the repair. It took two weeks for it to be sent back and when I got it back, the colors in the screen were distorted. When I called customer service, they said they would fix it again for free. I sent it in that day and finally, after a week and a half, I received an email telling me that I would have to pay for more repairs. I called and asked why I had to pay more when I was told it would be handled because they failed to fix it correctly the first time - only to be told that they weren't responsible for the screen not working after they "fixed it." They told me I would have to pay for a new repair. It has been another week since then and I still haven't gotten my iPod back. This place sucks plain and simple. Don't waste your time or money here. They will screw you over and squeeze as much money as they can out of you.

I purchased a refurbished Apple iPod nano and an Apple AC to USB adapter from the Apple online store. I returned the items within the required period because the nano had no memory card expansion capability. I received an email notice that the nano was in their warehouse in Elk Grove, California, but that the adapter was not - I shipped both in the same USPS insured box. No one at Apple signs their name to communications. No name means no one to blame. My latest recourse is to send a letter to the California Attorney General, the USPS postal inspectors, and the chargeback/anti-fraud/theft division of the credit card company involved. Apple now has the nano, the adapter, and the charge card funds. No customer service ever.

I purchased 3 new iPods (Touch 4th generation) for my kids for their birthdays. Since that time, we have had an agitating amount of glitches with this electrical device. One of my main concerns is that we have loaded it with iTunes to make in App purchases and then the games just disappear. Another issue was the Apple Customer Care or quite frankly the Apple company themselves do not have it disclosed that when you download the iTunes and in the event you do not sign out properly, then someone else can and will use up the money under the account.

I can't even begin to tell you how much of my time I had to talk with someone and how long it took for them to contact the iTunes store for a resolution. I truly believe that the Apple company counts on aggravating the consumer so they will not submit a complaint towards iTunes for the money that has, in my opinion, been embezzled - preying on innocent children and just giving the parents lip service. This Apple company does not care and it is prevalent in the respect that their so-called technicians that they hire to answer the phones are as smart as trained monkeys. I can't believe they get away with marketing a product that costs so much and doesn't work like it is supposed to. All I received from the customer service reps are excuses and apologies. This is what I spent $800 for ... excuses/apologies/lip service/ and very incompetent people who are supposed to know how this beast of a device works but the bottom line is they do not.

I recently took a malfunctioning iPod Nano back to the Apple store less than three weeks after buying it and they are refusing to fix or replace it. The problem is, sweating triggered the contact with liquid button and caused the screen to go dark. Another by-product of record heat and global warming? Their poor customer relations is just more evidence of Apple's cynical disrespect for the American consumer. These are the details: On July 5th, I took an iPod Touch in to the Genius bar at Apple store on North Avenue. I told the Genius the buttons on this $300 gadget were sticking, and he said there was nothing they could do to fix it. I thought maybe they could pop the back off and fix the buttons? He said he was not a technician. Of course, Apple products can never be fixed. They can only be replaced.

The Genius asked me what I needed the iPod for, and I said I use it almost exclusively for workout music. He suggested an iPod Nano. He showed me how small it is and how it just clips to your t-shirt. He also said it has apps to track your running and workouts. Clearly, the iPod is meant to be used for exercise. I paid $165 and took it home, a pink one. Right out of the box, there were problems. The alphabet was in Cyrillic, which means I couldn't even find the start or sync buttons. After 90 minutes working through similar users questions on Google, I finally got the iPod into English and left it overnight synching with my Mac. In the morning, I was able to use it for music, both playlists and radio, and it worked fine for a couple of days. I was running in our sweltering heat, and after the 3rd or 4th day, I noticed the screen had gone dark. It was practically illegible.

So on Tuesday, July 24 (19 days after buying it), I made an appointment, brought my receipt and the Nano, and the original packaging and expected the Genius to apologize and give me a replacement. No such thing happened. The first Genius said the Nano had been exposed to liquid. I explained that the liquid was sweat. She said it didn't matter; their policy was no replacements. I asked for her manager. The manager came over. I showed him the Nano and asked him what the clip was for. He said, "To clip to your t-shirt." So, I explained, "I used this device in exactly the way it was designed to be used and it failed. Wouldn't you call that a design flaw?" He agreed. I asked if this had ever happened to anyone else, and he said yes, all the time. What do they do? They still refuse to replace the Nano.

Their policy is to never replace the iPod once it has triggered the liquid sensor. But they will take your old one and sell you a reconditioned Nano for $75. I guess they can be fixed! So now, I am out $165 plus $75 for a gadget that is virtually guaranteed to fail even when used precisely as it is designed to be used. I am just furious. We hand over money in good faith and expect only a product that does what it promises to do. That was a promise not kept by Apple or its representatives.

I have had my Nano iPod for 7 months. I use it mostly during workouts. The other day, for some unknown reason, the screen went blank. I plugged it in to the charger for a while thinking it was a battery issue. The screen then turned white. No response to anything. I took it to the Apple store and was told it had been damaged by liquid and the warranty did not cover that. The only liquid involved had to have been my sweat. I was told I had to buy a new one but they would only charge me half of the retail price. Then (of course) they didn't have my particular color in stock. I told them I didn't care about the color, but I was told it had to be a perfect exchange. I'm not sure how ethical it is to sell this iPod with workout apps and yet have the thing so sensitive to moisture that it really isn't feasible to use during the workout process! I would not be complaining if I had been offered a new iPod for free. I know the company can afford to do that for its customers! I guess we don't really matter!

After 10 days, the screen of our iPod shattered. I took it to the Apple Store and spoke to a "genius" - that is a broad use of the word! Rather than standing behind a defective product (apparently this does happen a lot), we were required to pay 50% of the original price and in return, received a refurbished one. This was a special gift to our granddaughter and now, one that was broken, returned and then being resold isn't acceptable to us. The "genius" actually had the audacity to try to tell me that I was paying basically because they were taking the defective one back. We are very disappointed that a company as large as Apple can't stand behind their products. This is ridiculous!

Apple is a fraud Company. I had an iPod Nano in almost perfect condition, except that the screen was slow to respond to touch. Under warranty, I returned to Apple for evaluation. They returned the iPod and it was totally trashed. They removed the screen and claimed I ruined the iPod. Now, I have a worthless machine that was about 98 percent workable. Now they have the nerve to claim that I opened the screen. What a joke. It appears the repair dept. tried to repair the unit, but screwed it up and and now are trying to blame the consumer. What a corporate nightmare. It appears they have the market, to be so blatant about screwing their customers. Beware, there is no warranty with Apple, Inc. No wonder their stock is going nuts, no expense on warranty repairs.

I got an iTouch for my birthday in January 2010. I have taken great care of it. I used it on Saturday at the gym and was attempting to go for a run the next day on Sunday, when I noticed it would not turn on. It was requesting a connection to iTunes. On connection, it asked for a restore which I did. Once restored, the screen would not unlock. Several restores later, no change. I called Apple and made an appointment with the "genius". I drove 56 miles after a hard day's work to see the "genius" who couldn't explain himself or why the device suddenly stopped working. He however suggested I pay them $150 to get the same device that he cannot explain why it suddenly stopped working. I refused to part with a dime and I felt cheated. I had a sick feeling that I was being scammed.

If my iPod could not be fixed, why would Apple want it? And why in the world would I pay $150 dollars for a device that would more than likely break down again in a year? I asked for the same offer to get another device like the Classic or a battery for my daughter's MacBook, but he insisted I must get another iTouch to get the 50% deal. When something makes no sense, it's most likely untrue. Apple are making billions, raking it in with gimmicks like this. It's like buying a specific car which suddenly stops working for no apparent reason and choosing to trade the car in for the exact same model! This is the new age scam and many are falling for it. I will never ever buy another Apple product again, ever!

iPod Nano 6th generation: My experience was the same as the person I just read below. I went to Apple store and the red light water damage story was delivered by an arrogant kid. Same offer to sell me another one for $65. This is the third one I have tried. No more. It is a stupid product designed by stupid engineers, as obviously, the touch screen in going to get damp when running.

My complaint stems from checking my son's homework. While doing some subtraction, we noticed the iPod Touch refuses to subtract 29 from 58. I since asked all my friends who have an iPod Touch to do the same and it did not work for them either. Default, I will say so! Please follow up and let me know your findings. Thank you.

I'm sure you've heard this plenty of times, but I want to add my voice. I have a 2nd gen Touch and now, I cannot access one of my favorite features - iTunes U. I bought the Touch in good faith and now. I think that faith has been misused and will think twice before buying another Apple product (also have a MacBook). Well, I know no one will probably read this but as I have said, my voice is just one of the many.

Apple iPod Company Profile