Apple iMac

Apple iMac
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.69/5

Apple iMac Reviews

Original review: June 3, 2020

Everything I use is Apple! I'm pretty sure I have every product that they have on their site, and so do my kids. I am one of the reasons my school gives Apple MacBooks to our graduating seniors as their graduation gifts. After this horrific experience, I will now reconsider. I am a school family worker, so I have had to depend on all of of my Apple products!

Today, my iMac started running slow during one of my family sessions. I referred to the online Apple forum on what to do and it said to do a reset. Honestly, I was better off doing nothing, because long story short I ended up with a iMac that no longer works or in the words of the Apple representative “obsolete by Apple”. So like I said earlier, I read on Apple’s website what to do about my computer so to ensure that I was doing the right thing I contacted Apple phone support to help walk me through this process.

The first representative (on the phone), walked me halfway through, then gave me the rest of the steps and told me to have a nice day. No follow-up to see if the steps worked or if everything was resolved. Not only did the steps not work, but the command she gave me to type in my computer messed up my computer entirely! I was not able to get back to my home screen or go pass the utility screen. I reached back out to Apple and the phone option was no longer available to me, I had to use text to communicate. I explained to the representative that my computer went from running slow to now it doesn’t work at all, after listening to the previous representative.

I understood that due to high volumes of calls that this was probably why the text option was the only thing available but it was such a huge inconvenience! The time in between responses were ridiculous and the constant reconnecting to different representatives was a huge inconvenience. They texted me links to figure it out on my own. It was equivalent to watching YouTube or using Google. Finally, the representative just said that Apple wouldn’t be to provide any form of service because of my model of iMac is considered vintage/obsolete by Apple, and they no longer carry the parts or equipment necessary to repair. I missed an entire day of work, my kids missed school and now we are without a working computer. I did not need this to happen to me right now. Not with everything that is happening in the world right now.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2020

I bought a customized iMac for 2,500. After waiting for it to be built and shipped it would not power up. Instead of a simple exchange (Yes I knew there would be a waiting time) I had to return the computer and purchase the SAME EXACT computer for $11 more. My advice TEST PRODUCT IN STORE before leaving building. Wasted hour of time and gas. No quality testing and bad customer service. The sales person actually started saying "This would be funny if..."

Get buying tips about Computer Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2020

I've used Mac products for 13 years. I recently bought a new 27" imac and it's basically doesn't work properly. It looks good with it's sleek design, the display is pretty lush but certain things I use all the time on my mac products infuriatingly don't work. All the slick advertising will tell you all the amazing things Apple products can do but after parting with your cash you will realize it can't do the most basic things right. The Music (old i-tunes) app is worthless, it simply doesn't work, it's completely bug ridden, I can not play playlist music, without having to do strange work arounds that I have found on forums. I can not create playlists anymore. It just doesn't work. I had issues with my old imac which I put down to old age but wasn't expecting it on a new iMac.

This is pretty shocking and I feel cheated. But in fairness to apple that is their business model. Make everything look super slick. Create supper smooth advertising telling you all the amazing things their products can do and then... How about hiring some engineers to actually make things work the way you say they work in your advertising? Apple, all image and no substance.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2019

I just spent $3000 on another piece of ** work by Apple. GOD I HATE THIS COMPANY and all who support this crap. CRAP is what they sell you. There may have been a day when they didn't but they, like all the other companies out there today, engineer everything....not to help you, but to ** you!

Original review: Nov. 20, 2019

I bought my iMac 3 months ago preloaded with O/S Mojave - all good. I wirelessly ran a Samsung SCX-3405FW Combo printer. Then came O/S Catalina - now the printer doesn’t work. The O/S blocks the print Manager with the 32/64 bit mismatch error and an instruction to contact the printer developers. No reply from Samsung other than contact HP who have taken over their printers. No reply from HP. So I went to iStore... They told me make an appointment and to bring in both the iMac and printer (awkward) which may mean reloading Mojave to restore things, unbelievable! What happens next O/S upgrade? I had just traded in my MacBook Pro to have new O/S! What do I now? Throw away - the iMac or the printer. Really a poor show and abysmal customer service by all.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Apple?

Original review: Nov. 3, 2019

I have been an Apple user since 87 and have been able to solve almost all my Mac issues until recently upgrading my iPad Pro to the new Catalina Operating system. Then I was unable to connect to WiFi. I had tried all the usual suspected issues. Reset my iPad settings, restarted the router, restarted all connected devices, changed my WiFi pw and was able to connect everything with no problem except this iPad Pro. Last resort contact Apple chat to hope they had someone who could troubleshoot with me. Even though I let them know I had tried all the above I was given stupid advice like “is your Pw case sensitive" and other worthless suggestions after telling them what I had done. So APPLE if these are what is leftover from the Genius Bar days... rehire please. My grandma could do better than this. Let’s see. Maybe you should plug in and think different again.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2019

I bought 2 iMac Pros last year. To start off, the computer comes with terrible design decisions, one of them being the mouse. The only way to recharge the mouse is by plugging the cable under it, making it impossible to work if your mouse batteries dies and you forget to charge it the night before. A couple of days ago my iMac Pro's operating system completely failed. My computer froze and went to a black screen. I took the computer in to try to fix the issue and they told me that they would have to wipe out my hard drive in order to fix the operating system failure.

Since I had important data that had not been backed up, they told me to take it to one of their partners to recover my data. After paying almost $300 to recover my lost data due to their unreliable operating system, I was told that the way the new iMac Pro was built made it almost impossible to recover data through transfer or by removing the hard drive.

Apple employee did not give a crap about my situation or even try to enlighten me after paying almost $20,000 dollars for 2 iMac Pros. Their lack of empathy, and understanding got me really frustrated. They kept transferring to other departments and even to their manager only to hang up on me after I kept insisting on finding a solution for this situation. I've been an Apple customer for 20 years now, and this has definitely changed my respect for this company.

Purchasing the iMac Pro has been my biggest regret up to this day. Seems like every operating system just keeps getting worse and worse, especially for designers. Apple doesn't care if you bought their top product, all they care about is repeating their policy to you, which basically says, "We don't give a ** if our operating system died on you, we won't take any responsibility for it." If you value your money, stay away from this product.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2019

August 23, 2019 Don't buy Apple computer, this is my 2nd year I had Apple computer. They hacked it 2x now. They erased all my documents on my desktop. Then this time they did it again which a year later. They also deleted some of my important folder. If you have Apple computer make sure you don't have anything important on your desktop. You many never see them again. Suggestion back them up. And read the Apple computer reviews from last year. Don't buy their Apple phone. They are spying on your conversation and can use it against you!!!!

Original review: July 24, 2019

I bought the iMac to replace my six year old PC that was a slug. I told the Apple person online that I needed a fast machine. She recommended the iMac and told me it would be very fast. It's not. It's a worse slug than my old PC. I worked with Apple online and I also took this POS to the Apple store and I was told that it was fine, after they finagled around with it for a while. It's not fine. It can take a minute to bring up a program after you click on the icon. I can't put the Mac version of Windows programs on here because they conflict. I paid $1700 for this, thinking I was upgrading. No, I wasn't. My six year old PC is faster than this slug. What a waste of money. Please don't waste yours.

Original review: July 4, 2019

This computer has been a joy to use. This was my second Apple computer, after a old 2008 Macbook. The only issues I encountered was issues with Bootcamp (solved by downgrading to 10.14.1) and sticky keys (My fault from a spill, bought a new Magic Keyboard.) And that's it. Overall a great computer, recommended.

Apple author review by ConsumerAffairs

The Apple iMac is Apple’s desktop computer. These computers combine display and CPU into one unit and focus on interconnectivity, high definition display and an easy-to-use interface and operating system.

• All-in-one computers: The iMac is an all-in-one computer that combines display, processor, storage and more in one device. This keeps a tangle of cords and cumbersome pieces to a minimum.

• Retina display: The iMac’s display screen is called the Retina. Some iMac Retina display models are capable of producing 4K or 5K resolution, the sharpest images on the market.

• Device integration: Consumers who also own an iPhone, Apple Watch or iPad tablet can integrate these devices to share apps and data. It can centralize user’s data and sync with the iCloud to keep data accessible from any device.

• Fusion Drive: Apple’s Fusion Drive combines the storage space of a standard hard drive with the speed of a flash drive. It keeps boot times and app operations fast and responsive.

• Energy efficiency: The iMac is built with energy efficiency and environmental friendliness in mind. Its low power requirements and construction from about 30 percent of recycled materials make it a good computer option for environmentally-conscious consumers.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team