4.08/5
Based on 63 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Last updated: April 28, 2018

428 Apple iMac Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 28, 2018

Apple computers used to be much better. I noticed that my new Mac had issues when I started using it. Moving windows around appeared to be sluggish. It crashes every few days. Safari stops working. The tabs on Safari don't show anything. It is really a mess. Apple clearly does not care about quality anymore.

Original review: March 20, 2018

We have received a new iMAC at the end of December 2017 and it had problems right from the start. We had to erase the hard drive and manually migrate all files from old computer. In January (just 2-3 weeks after use), it started behaving weird, freezing/crashing on different applications, cannot restart, not able to save files. Apple customer service suggested it's a hardware problem, but they refused to change it until we try erasing/reformatting again, which we did. Same problem still. Now in March we again called them and ask for a replacement, they promised to replace hard drive, but now they want to try erasing/reformatting again. This iMAC is for work and I've wasted several days already with erasing/restarting everything - 3 times. I really had enough and for a computer that's over $3000, I expect better quality and customer service.

Get expert buying tips about Computer Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 4, 2018

Like so many others, I am a longtime Apple customer and own half a dozen Apple products. Once upon a time, phone customer service was excellent: courteous and efficient and capable. Over the past year or so, the service has deteriorated horribly. Arrogance is the rule of the day and the first order of business seems to be to tell the customer to go away. I just spent $3,700 on a new iMac. The first one was a piece of junk that had multiple problems within the first few days. For instance, with no third party software installed at all, Pages failed. Pages! Apple's own product.

I sent the computer back and got a replacement from Apple under warranty. The new one is slower at Word than my seven-year-old iMac. Apple's answer? They are not willing to investigate whether this might be an Apple problem. Their only answer is that I should pay again to get another copy of Word on the computer. The computer has other problems, which I despair of ever having competently addressed even though I paid for AppleCare.

Phone representatives are consistently rude and they hang up on you whenever you ask a question they don't like. Additionally, it takes 20-30 minutes even to get one on the line. Well, then, what about the old fashioned method of writing a letter to headquarters to point out these problems? I tried that. I wrote two letters approximately two months ago. Absolutely no response. No acknowledgement whatsoever. Apple's arrogance and disregard for the customer is appalling. Buyer beware!

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

I used HP computers for several years and hated them! I ended up purchasing 6 HPs in several years; in addition I had them repaired as well. I threw the last one out when I saw a sale on Desktop Macs. I took the class that was offered (3 classes) and fell in love with the Mac! I have not had any trouble at all; I got a little help from the company that I purchased it from. I wish that I had just purchased the Mac to begin with. I could have purchased 6 Macs with the amount that I spent on the HPs!

Original review: Jan. 28, 2018

I've had my Mac for almost two years and that's about how long I had to save for it, well worth every penny! I feel the security alone would justify the cost. I believe I'm not alone when I say "I Love My Mac".

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Apple?

Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

Too complicated, not especially user-friendly if this is your first one. Customer service often not helpful, limited hours. I've experienced fairly long wait times. And they cancelled the program where one paid $100/year for "unlimited" individual sessions. But graphics are impressive.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2018

It has taken me a very long time to adjust to this brand. I don't like having to continue typing in passwords... I cannot seem to type the same words twice in a row.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2018

None better. Been using since 2008 and just got my new iMac Black Friday of 2016. Everything about Apple products are easy to me though that's why I love and own all Apple products.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

It has been very dependable with very few issues, which were resolved by Apple. Customer support is excellent. Only problem I could think of is that when your Mac reaches a certain age, they won't look at it and updates are not possible.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2018

There's barely any need for technical support. Everything seems to work seamlessly even though this is my first IMAC, but all tablets are IPADS. My smart mouse seemed a little lethargic, they didn't hesitate to replace it when I drop by their Store. Although expensive, IMAC saved me a lot less headache. Very easy to navigate.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2018

Apple products are very expensive but with all the software updates they give you probably makes up the difference in the price. Whatever new software comes out you can download it on your computer and there is no fee. I have called technical support many times. I was never charge for any. That is great. I have my Mac for about 8 to 10 years now and still growing and growing. I had added memory so that's all the money I have spent on it since I bought it. I think it's a great investment if you want something that's gonna last a long time. A MAC is what you should go for. You know the old saying you pay for what you get.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2018

I have used a variety of computers, in the workplace, and at home. Apple, HP, Dell, Acer, and Lenovo. My 35+ years’ experience confirms there is nothing so fine as an Apple product. Most intuitive, easy to set up, upgrades easily, online support from the iMac community is readily available and directions can be understood by even an 'elder' user (which at 75, I now am).

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

I have had an ongoing issue that refuses to respond to IT support. It's frustrating, as it actually hampers certain activities that I do several times a day. I have tried online support, as well as the genius bar. Both without resolution. I'm learning to live with it, but still...

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

I have had this iMac for almost 10 years and the only issue is with the A drive. It will eventually take a disk after about 10 tries. Other than that no problems at all. It is so much easier to use than a Windows-based PC. I would like to upgrade to a new iMac but they are expensive. However if I broke it down on a year by year cost I am guessing I would had to have 2 or 3 of the Windows computers by now so the most is appropriate for the length of service you get, just the upfront cost is higher. You get what you pay for...

Original review: Jan. 17, 2018

I have only had a good experience with Apple and would recommend this product to friends and family... I'm actually looking to upgrade, so I'll be purchasing another Mac.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2018

I have had no problems requiring service since purchasing this computer in 2011, although it has begun to slow down and stall if I am on it for a long time when it's hot, or when I've opened and used too many programs. Restarting it fixes most problems - letting it cool down fixes the others. I have had many Macs, and also own a much newer laptop and an iPad, but I prefer the large screen on this iMac.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2018

I have been using Apple computers for many years beginning with the Apple II and upgrading when necessary. In addition I have the iPhone and the iPad and I like that what's on the iPhone and iPad is also on the iMac.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2018

I changed to an iMac approximately 12 to 15 years ago. I used various PC from approximately 1983 to 2000. Grew tired of the Trojan Horses and various other invasive bullets shot at MS-DOS. I've found Mac products to be totally resistant to the various viruses, etc. It's a wonderful computer. The customer service is the best I've ever come across.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2017

I bought my Mac Book Pro in the beginning of 2013. I love Apple products! I have an iPhone 7 and also an iPad! But now, I'm started to questioning this love. I downloaded the High Sierra operational system and my computer is not working well. The built in sound speakers work whenever they want to, the time to turn in on and off is terrible. Some programs, like basic Word or Excel takes forever to run. I mean, a totally disaster. I took the computer for a checkup. I paid U$ 69,95 just to have it diagnosed at an Apple Support. Great! I thought all my problems would be solved! No, it didn't happen! Now, they told me that the High Sierra Operational System has messed it up my computer and I have to downgrade! So, I'm not a person that understands about computers and technology, so, I must trust the information I have gotten, right? Their price is U$ 149,95 to do this service! Oh my! How could Apple do this to us?

Inform that it's time to upgrade to a new operational system and now it just messed it up my computer and I have to pay to have it fixed??? So, once again, I looked over the Apple website and they inform you on how to downgrade! I was very happy, cause I could do it myself, right? No!!! It's almost rocket science for someone that is not a tech pro! And at the end of the information, Apple gives a note that only experienced professionals should do this! Come on Apple!!! I didn't cause the problem on my computer and now you are not helping me to solve it!!! Please, I need help to have my beloved computer working back again! It's way too much to pay for something that I didn't cause!

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

I love the reliability of my Apple products and especially my iMac. Apple support is fantastic, if I have a question or problem. I did not find this with my other brand.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

I have been using Macs for years and also use a PC at work, and the Mac has so much more to offer, even though it does cost more. Can't really complain about the machines, never had any trouble with one.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

I've had the iMac and MacBook for about seven years. The MacBook failed this year and I was very disappointed about it, but the iMac still proves to be useful and in good shape.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2017

I have been a Mac user for several years and what I like the most is the way that their hardware and software fit seamlessly together. I also use an iPhone and find the entire Mac ecosystem's ease of use to be of great benefit.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2017

I've been using Apple computers since the mid-90's. I started when I saw the things the Mac could do that the Windows PC's couldn't. While I know that no company or brand can be perfect I've been more than happy with all the Apple products I've used over the years.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2017

We have had our Mac for years. It's very user friendly, great support from Apple (in store and on the phone). Everyone in the family owns one. Very Happy with the product!

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

Our iMac is nine years old. It's on all day, it is used for everything from graphics to statistical number crunching and math. We will replace it with another this year. No problems, ever.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

Compared to a broad range of windows-based PCs I've used over the past 30 years, my iMac has provided more consistent performance with far fewer crashes, viruses (I do use Norton as well as Mac protection) and integrated hardware/Software satisfactory performance.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

I have had this Apple iMac for a long time. It is somewhat dated but still does what I want it to do, so need to upgrade. It's dependable and seemingly indestructible.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

They're powerful, bug free, extremely easy to use but Microsoft has spent billions trying to provide the simple intuitive interface and still falls short with their unstable, bug ridden system.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

For all Computer workplace, home office, and all other personal purposes this is the computer brand that most consumers and businesses rely on most in all areas of performance and reliability, the brand also can be purchased in a cost-effective manner. The Apple computer operating system is more user friendly now more than ever. When used in conjunction with other brands, not that it needs the use, like Microsoft, Dell and others it is the best brand to prevent needing a backup plan, not that any of the other brands mentioned or only used as a backup plan. They all can hold their own in any manner.

Apple expert review by ConsumerAffairs

The Apple iMac is Apple’s desktop computer. These computers combine display and CPU into one unit and focus on interconnectivity, high definition display and an easy-to-use interface and operating system.

• All-in-one computers: The iMac is an all-in-one computer that combines display, processor, storage and more in one device. This keeps a tangle of cords and cumbersome pieces to a minimum.

• Retina display: The iMac’s display screen is called the Retina. Some iMac Retina display models are capable of producing 4K or 5K resolution, the sharpest images on the market.

• Device integration: Consumers who also own an iPhone, Apple Watch or iPad tablet can integrate these devices to share apps and data. It can centralize user’s data and sync with the iCloud to keep data accessible from any device.

• Fusion Drive: Apple’s Fusion Drive combines the storage space of a standard hard drive with the speed of a flash drive. It keeps boot times and app operations fast and responsive.

• Energy efficiency: The iMac is built with energy efficiency and environmental friendliness in mind. Its low power requirements and construction from about 30 percent of recycled materials make it a good computer option for environmentally-conscious consumers.

• Best for: Apple iMac is best for users who own other Apple devices, families and businesses.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs