3.85/5

469 Apple iMac Consumer Reviews

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

Since using my first Macintosh, I found it to be a great value, easy to use, consistent menus and dropdowns in every program. Since then I now have a MacBook Pro, iPad, (2) iPhone 6s Plus, and an Apple TV. Everything is uniform across each device. Especially the ability to copy from one device and paste into another device. The most important part that I REALLY like, is I get to speak to Americans who speak great English. And the ability to chat or talk. I sure wish more people used the Apple software products; Keynote, Pages and Word.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

I love my Mac. With one exception, Apple send a lot of updates. Which, if I continue to install uses up a lot of memory and eventually slows down the speed of the laptop. So, while it could work for years, Apple intentionally obsoletes the laptop's operating system so that it becomes necessary to purchase new equipment every few years.

Get expert buying tips about Computer Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

I have used MACs since they released the first PC. Over the years, I've only experienced a hard disk failure which Apple fixed. The computing speeds have advanced faster than I found needed for what I do. So I've been buying MACs about three-five years as software changes forced me to advance. My old Macs (still working well) I gave to friends and family. Astonishingly, I've received only one failure report --- a power supply. My adult son repaired it with a kit some years ago, and it's been performing well since. The current computing speed of my newest Mac is really impressive and the hard drive (1 Gig plus SSD) seems instantaneous. The 27 inch monitor is a joy!

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

I do feel the customer service has deteriorated since Jobs' death. I bought my first Mac in 1993 so I’ve got a lot of experience. The product is generally excellent but if you have any problems you’re put off onto some kid who thinks he knows it all and many of them are actually offensive these days. I’ll go to a deep net search before reaching out to tech support. I hate to see this happening.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

I have been an Apple customer since 2013; my iMac went out of warranty in 2016. Yet, still, 5 years after I bought my iMac, Apple Customer Service Support Advisors continue to accommodate my requests for technical support. They are ALWAYS professional, patient, understanding and willing to stay on the phone or on chat with me until my issue is resolved if they can come up with a solution which they normally do in 98% of cases. I cannot say enough good things about them. If I am not happy with the results I am getting from the first tier support level, they are more than happy to refer me to a Senior Advisor. The next time you are vacillating about which operating system to buy, consider Apple; you won't be disappointed in their technical support program!

Unlike Microsoft who makes you pay for each new operating software package, Mac OS is upgraded and updated free for life! I also find that Microsoft Technical Support is limited to just so many months of technical support after you buy the lasted Windows operating system and the level of dedication to their customers comes nowhere near that of Apple. I should know, I run both operating systems and I have a lot experience with both Technical Support staffs.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Apple?

Original review: June 24, 2019

My recent iMac purchase (December 2018) has been a great disappointment. I bought the new iMac only because my previous iMac’s monitor started showing vertical lines. However, the computer CPU worked fine with an external monitor. Repairing the monitor was too expensive with no guarantee leaving me no choice but to buy a new iMac.

Immediately after I bought the new iMac, it started showing blue screen! After I got iMac fixed at an Apple Store, I started having problems with the iCloud. Signing in or signing out from the iCloud has not been erratic. For signing in it keeps asking for the password or once signed in I cannot terminate the program or cannot make any changes in preferences. On two separate occasions I tried having this problem resolved by the Apple Support team, each time was a futile attempt. Every time I spent almost an hour with the support personnel. At one time I was told that the problem could be Microsoft software!

I would have thought that by now the Apple would have taken cared of this problem as many people encounter similar problem. It is almost last three months that I have not able to use iCloud. How much faith should we have in the Apple Support team in solving this issue? I stopped calling them. Any suggestion will be highly appreciated.

The second problem is with the connection of Apple wifi mouse and keyboard. They keep disconnecting while starting/restarting the computer. Instead of wifi I tried using bluetooth mouse and keyboard, but the problem does not go away. Sometimes the connection gets lost for several minutes while I am sitting to resume my work. What a waste of time! Now I am using the obsolete wired mouse and keyboard to use my new iMac. Apple products use to be great, but of lately I see many issues with the products as well as its software. My trust with Apple is declining rather fast.

Original review: June 21, 2019

Bluetooth and internal microphone faulty. Terrible service. Bear in mind that I had bought AppleCare. Otherwise the service would have been even worse. Each person I spoke with on the phone gave me different advice. They believed it was a software issue, but I reckoned that it had to be a hardware problem, otherwise every iMac would have the same problem. They had me wipe the hard drive, boot from an external hard drive, and try many other things. It was very difficult to get someone at Apple to stay with the case. It was impossible to speak with the same person twice. This went on for months.

Finally they made me bring it into the store. I had to pay $50 for a taxicab. This was the 27 inch model, so moving it was not easy. It had the same problems after I got it back. Then they sent out a technician, because I refused to bring it in again myself, (here in Japan, anyway, there is no Apple service center, just subcontractors) who replaced the logic board and Bluetooth parts. Same problem afterwards.

All of the people I dealt with at Apple were ill-informed, did not get back to me as they said they would, and generally shirked their responsibilities except for one senior manager I was lucky enough to find after months of frustration, who stuck with me until it was finally resolved. After about 50 emails and the same number of phone calls and 10 months later, they agreed to replace it. Having said that, they insisted I return the defective machine first, and then told me it would be 2-3 weeks before the new one would arrive. They wanted to send me a lower spec machine, but I refused to accept it. If the new one is defective, I will contact the consumer affairs department and seek a refund.

Original review: June 4, 2019

I used to use OS Snow Leopard, which I think is the last master piece of Steven Job's. After his death, the OS system is getting worse and worse. Many many things changed from good to bad: just give two examples, in Snow Leopard, all tiny icons are beautiful and vivid 3D images. Now, all are in dull and boring 2D images. I just bought the newest version of iMac, macOS Mojave. It even cannot open many pictures, taking forever to open 2000 pictures. However, in my 2011 OS Snow Leopard, the same amount of pictures can be opened very quickly. If I use slideshow, the old Snow Leopard can show all pictures clearly, but in Mojave many of them are blur. More and more!! It seems like they like to remove many good functions and features from the old Snow Leopard system, but learn a lot of bad stuffs from Microsoft. Sad! As people said: Jobs is dead, and Apple is dying!

Original review: May 27, 2019

3 weeks after my 3 year warranty expired, my computer started shutting down like someone pulled the plug. Come to find out it's a bad power supply and has been an issue before for Apple. The cost is to crack the case and replace the power supply is cost-prohibitive. Luckily, my MacBook Pro works like a charm.

Original review: April 10, 2019

I was switching carriers on the Apple iPhone given to me by my former employer following my retirement. I log into my Apple account on the iPhone to verify ID and password. It worked perfectly. I followed the steps of replacing SIM card and connection to new carrier. I received a notification on the iPhone to provide my ID and password to activate phone. Message replying I had wrong ID or password that worked minutes prior. I spent the last 2 days calling Apple support with no resolution to activation lockout. Apple support gives me a date 5 days from last contact to send me a text to resolve their unnecessary lockout. They’re going to text my landline that I obviously can't receive text. The nightmare continues. I will never buy or use a Apple product again.

Original review: March 30, 2019

Bought a new iMac 2019 to replace a 2014 iMac. The new iMac has a few faults. The biggest one is the fan is always on even when the iMac is in sleep mode. This is incredibly bad. A sign that Apple pride in making the best hardware has gone out of the window. Tim Cook is not the right man for Apple. Under him Apple has lost its hardware leadership and introduced gimmicky features that they call innovation. Now if you want the best hardware in laptops, desktops or even phones you have to start looking elsewhere. Sad, another company down the slippery slope.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

I have been an Apple customer since 1987 and this experience is making me just leave the products completely, especially since I am already having a horrible experience with their new 10R iPhone and now this. Well... all I am doing is trying to upgrade my old Lion 10.8.5 operating system to Mojave, following all the instructions and the stupid stupid stupid App store site keeps sending me back and forth, back and forth, back and forth, back and forth, back and forth until it has now made madder than Hell!!!

I am very computer savvy and have never seen such a more convoluted process that I can't even upgrade my system now. This is causing me loss of work and WHO mind you is going to pay for my loss of wages??? WHO!!! And you can't even talk to anyone today... Apple has really done its customers in good and they only care about the $$$ not the products or the quality of them anymore... It is such a travesty and now I have to go back to an ** Apple Store wait in an ** line to get this fixed when I could have fixed it myself if only Apple wasn't so ** up! It is unconscionable what is going on today with consumer satisfaction... Certainly in the abyss for sure!!!

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

I’ve been using Apple computers for over 25 years and have never been more disappointed. Bought an expensive new iMac and it is just terrible. Slow. Programs won’t launch. Bluetooth trackpad just stopped working. What a sad thing. This used to be an ambitious, exciting company that made great things. I think they only now care about their phones. This computer is terrible. A waste of thousands of dollars.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

I bought a $3,300 Apple AV computer that had a problem from day one. I wanted to figure out that the problem was in the AV cable until a few days after warranty had expired. I had asked their help earlier but was hundreds of miles from a store so I got no help. When I realized the problem was the cable I called and their response was "sorry your warranty is expired." I couldn't believe that was their way of doing business. Told them if that's how they do things I am done with all Apple products forever. That was in the early 1990s. I'll never buy anything with that Apple on it.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2019

Extremely reliable hardware and operating system. Also compatibility with Microsoft Word and Excel along with Quicken is excellent. I cannot overemphasized the reliability of the device. Apple support has also been excellent. I have no complaints with the iMac.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2019

Apple is overpriced and the quality is not the greatest. I had a MAC desktop and it cost me $2,000.00. I sold it for $500.00 and bought myself a Surface Tablet. I much prefer a Windows product. I don't think I will replace my iPhone when it comes up for renewal.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

I bought an iMac and 1.5 years later it caught on fire. In Hawaii, the humidity is so high that water condenses inside the unit after you shut it down. I bought another online from Apple and they shipped it to a local dealer. I paid for the 5 year coverage, then found out that the co-pay for outside of the unit is $99.00 and if they have to open it up, its co-pay is $250.00. Then the manager said that in as much as I did not buy it from their store, and just had it shipped there, that I would have to take it to another store if I needed it repaired. NO PROBLEM? YES it is, the nearest next dealer is 300+ miles AND on another island. I would go into the iPhone problems, but at 83 years of age I don't think that my blood pressure will take it. Aloha!

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

Phobio is a company in Texas that Apple uses to facilitate their Computer Trade-in Gimmick to sell more computers. I had a 2013 1TB 27" iMac in top working condition offer=$130, used shipping box provided by them then they sent picture showing damage to the base hinge, changing offer to $40. With a note... "TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT." They would ship it back to me...or I could accept the offer. Well, I finally realized that Apple's TRADE IN OPTION...IS ONLY A GIMMICK. A BAIT AND SWITCH. My advice, don't even consider their trade in option, give it to charity, sell it on Craigslist, or trash it yourselves. Because Apple cannot be trusted to be fair.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

I am due for another unit, advances in software are outstripping my good ol' unit! Being retired I'll have to start saving up. I am online almost every day and occasionally I will run into "site" and game problems. So I must fill that 'jar' so I can get a Mac Pro.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

Software that does not have many issues with viruses or malware. Apple cares about the products and services it sells and services. I’ve owned Apple products over 30 years. Their products are pricey, but the consumer has a product and it stands behind.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

Had Apples since 1982. They all worked just fine. Started with an Apple III, a great machine. Went to Macs and Apple IIE. They all worked fine. Very limited software available, but that has changed.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

This product is very reliable. My wife and I both have PowerBooks and we agree, they are extremely reliable. We also have iPhones which connect to our laptops. We have an Apple TV, which allows us to wirelessly connect our devices to our tv.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2019

The hardware lasts a long time, but the trend in software seems to have become short term especially with associations with third-party providers. This is disappointing, but I guess it’s the modern trend.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2019

I have an iMac desktop, 2011. It cannot take any more updates. I have also had a huge crash likely due to a virus that may have been installed by iYogi technicians. iYogi was recommended by Apple for service and maintenance. Since then I have had issues. I do like the product and it operated very well.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

Great looking product, easy to use, powerful however I have had one manufacture’s recall for a hard drive and one hard drive failure. Other than that, runs great. This computer doesn’t run that much so this is a bit concerning.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

I really dont have any issues with my iPhone, but I have difficulty using and understanding the PC and having problems with a system update. You need to make it easier to get an update without having to download other apps for security that my system doesn't recognize.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

This is our second Mac computer. The first lasted 8 years. Mac is great at blocking spam and ** sites. Customer service is phenomenal. Only drawback - you can't access some websites. If and when we ever purchase another computer, it will be a Mac.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

Nowadays, there are no warranties that apply to hacking. Hacking is a problem with their products and it is their OS that allows for it to happen. Manufacturers who use their own OS should have to back both the soft and hardware.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

I can’t stand Apple’s deceptive practices and shoddy programming. (For example, one update wiped-out all the metadata in my photos rendering them impossible to search.) I simply don’t trust them and never will. I’m considering switching to a Windows-based machine but I don’t have much confidence in them either.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

Love the product, but liked the G5 series the best. I have had Apple products since a Power PC. They have always been a clean simple answer to my choices. It is only the pricing that is difficult. But, Mac will be my choice into the future.

Apple expert review by ConsumerAffairs

The Apple iMac is Apple’s desktop computer. These computers combine display and CPU into one unit and focus on interconnectivity, high definition display and an easy-to-use interface and operating system.

• All-in-one computers: The iMac is an all-in-one computer that combines display, processor, storage and more in one device. This keeps a tangle of cords and cumbersome pieces to a minimum.

• Retina display: The iMac’s display screen is called the Retina. Some iMac Retina display models are capable of producing 4K or 5K resolution, the sharpest images on the market.

• Device integration: Consumers who also own an iPhone, Apple Watch or iPad tablet can integrate these devices to share apps and data. It can centralize user’s data and sync with the iCloud to keep data accessible from any device.

• Fusion Drive: Apple’s Fusion Drive combines the storage space of a standard hard drive with the speed of a flash drive. It keeps boot times and app operations fast and responsive.

• Energy efficiency: The iMac is built with energy efficiency and environmental friendliness in mind. Its low power requirements and construction from about 30 percent of recycled materials make it a good computer option for environmentally-conscious consumers.

• Best for: Apple iMac is best for users who own other Apple devices, families and businesses.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs