3.89/5

471 Apple iMac Consumer Reviews

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

Since using my first Macintosh, I found it to be a great value, easy to use, consistent menus and dropdowns in every program. Since then I now have a MacBook Pro, iPad, (2) iPhone 6s Plus, and an Apple TV. Everything is uniform across each device. Especially the ability to copy from one device and paste into another device. The most important part that I REALLY like, is I get to speak to Americans who speak great English. And the ability to chat or talk. I sure wish more people used the Apple software products; Keynote, Pages and Word.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

I love my Mac. With one exception, Apple send a lot of updates. Which, if I continue to install uses up a lot of memory and eventually slows down the speed of the laptop. So, while it could work for years, Apple intentionally obsoletes the laptop's operating system so that it becomes necessary to purchase new equipment every few years.

Get expert buying tips about Computer Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

I have used MACs since they released the first PC. Over the years, I've only experienced a hard disk failure which Apple fixed. The computing speeds have advanced faster than I found needed for what I do. So I've been buying MACs about three-five years as software changes forced me to advance. My old Macs (still working well) I gave to friends and family. Astonishingly, I've received only one failure report --- a power supply. My adult son repaired it with a kit some years ago, and it's been performing well since. The current computing speed of my newest Mac is really impressive and the hard drive (1 Gig plus SSD) seems instantaneous. The 27 inch monitor is a joy!

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

I do feel the customer service has deteriorated since Jobs' death. I bought my first Mac in 1993 so I’ve got a lot of experience. The product is generally excellent but if you have any problems you’re put off onto some kid who thinks he knows it all and many of them are actually offensive these days. I’ll go to a deep net search before reaching out to tech support. I hate to see this happening.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

I have been an Apple customer since 2013; my iMac went out of warranty in 2016. Yet, still, 5 years after I bought my iMac, Apple Customer Service Support Advisors continue to accommodate my requests for technical support. They are ALWAYS professional, patient, understanding and willing to stay on the phone or on chat with me until my issue is resolved if they can come up with a solution which they normally do in 98% of cases. I cannot say enough good things about them. If I am not happy with the results I am getting from the first tier support level, they are more than happy to refer me to a Senior Advisor. The next time you are vacillating about which operating system to buy, consider Apple; you won't be disappointed in their technical support program!

Unlike Microsoft who makes you pay for each new operating software package, Mac OS is upgraded and updated free for life! I also find that Microsoft Technical Support is limited to just so many months of technical support after you buy the lasted Windows operating system and the level of dedication to their customers comes nowhere near that of Apple. I should know, I run both operating systems and I have a lot experience with both Technical Support staffs.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Apple?

Original review: July 24, 2019

I bought the iMac to replace my six year old PC that was a slug. I told the Apple person online that I needed a fast machine. She recommended the iMac and told me it would be very fast. It's not. It's a worse slug than my old PC. I worked with Apple online and I also took this POS to the Apple store and I was told that it was fine, after they finagled around with it for a while. It's not fine. It can take a minute to bring up a program after you click on the icon. I can't put the Mac version of Windows programs on here because they conflict. I paid $1700 for this, thinking I was upgrading. No, I wasn't. My six year old PC is faster than this slug. What a waste of money. Please don't waste yours.

Original review: July 4, 2019

This computer has been a joy to use. This was my second Apple computer, after a old 2008 Macbook. The only issues I encountered was issues with Bootcamp (solved by downgrading to 10.14.1) and sticky keys (My fault from a spill, bought a new Magic Keyboard.) And that's it. Overall a great computer, recommended.

Original review: June 24, 2019

My recent iMac purchase (December 2018) has been a great disappointment. I bought the new iMac only because my previous iMac’s monitor started showing vertical lines. However, the computer CPU worked fine with an external monitor. Repairing the monitor was too expensive with no guarantee leaving me no choice but to buy a new iMac.

Immediately after I bought the new iMac, it started showing blue screen! After I got iMac fixed at an Apple Store, I started having problems with the iCloud. Signing in or signing out from the iCloud has not been erratic. For signing in it keeps asking for the password or once signed in I cannot terminate the program or cannot make any changes in preferences. On two separate occasions I tried having this problem resolved by the Apple Support team, each time was a futile attempt. Every time I spent almost an hour with the support personnel. At one time I was told that the problem could be Microsoft software!

I would have thought that by now the Apple would have taken cared of this problem as many people encounter similar problem. It is almost last three months that I have not able to use iCloud. How much faith should we have in the Apple Support team in solving this issue? I stopped calling them. Any suggestion will be highly appreciated.

The second problem is with the connection of Apple wifi mouse and keyboard. They keep disconnecting while starting/restarting the computer. Instead of wifi I tried using bluetooth mouse and keyboard, but the problem does not go away. Sometimes the connection gets lost for several minutes while I am sitting to resume my work. What a waste of time! Now I am using the obsolete wired mouse and keyboard to use my new iMac. Apple products use to be great, but of lately I see many issues with the products as well as its software. My trust with Apple is declining rather fast.

Original review: June 21, 2019

Bluetooth and internal microphone faulty. Terrible service. Bear in mind that I had bought AppleCare. Otherwise the service would have been even worse. Each person I spoke with on the phone gave me different advice. They believed it was a software issue, but I reckoned that it had to be a hardware problem, otherwise every iMac would have the same problem. They had me wipe the hard drive, boot from an external hard drive, and try many other things. It was very difficult to get someone at Apple to stay with the case. It was impossible to speak with the same person twice. This went on for months.

Finally they made me bring it into the store. I had to pay $50 for a taxicab. This was the 27 inch model, so moving it was not easy. It had the same problems after I got it back. Then they sent out a technician, because I refused to bring it in again myself, (here in Japan, anyway, there is no Apple service center, just subcontractors) who replaced the logic board and Bluetooth parts. Same problem afterwards.

All of the people I dealt with at Apple were ill-informed, did not get back to me as they said they would, and generally shirked their responsibilities except for one senior manager I was lucky enough to find after months of frustration, who stuck with me until it was finally resolved. After about 50 emails and the same number of phone calls and 10 months later, they agreed to replace it. Having said that, they insisted I return the defective machine first, and then told me it would be 2-3 weeks before the new one would arrive. They wanted to send me a lower spec machine, but I refused to accept it. If the new one is defective, I will contact the consumer affairs department and seek a refund.

Original review: June 4, 2019

I used to use OS Snow Leopard, which I think is the last master piece of Steven Job's. After his death, the OS system is getting worse and worse. Many many things changed from good to bad: just give two examples, in Snow Leopard, all tiny icons are beautiful and vivid 3D images. Now, all are in dull and boring 2D images. I just bought the newest version of iMac, macOS Mojave. It even cannot open many pictures, taking forever to open 2000 pictures. However, in my 2011 OS Snow Leopard, the same amount of pictures can be opened very quickly. If I use slideshow, the old Snow Leopard can show all pictures clearly, but in Mojave many of them are blur. More and more!! It seems like they like to remove many good functions and features from the old Snow Leopard system, but learn a lot of bad stuffs from Microsoft. Sad! As people said: Jobs is dead, and Apple is dying!

Apple expert review by ConsumerAffairs

The Apple iMac is Apple’s desktop computer. These computers combine display and CPU into one unit and focus on interconnectivity, high definition display and an easy-to-use interface and operating system.

• All-in-one computers: The iMac is an all-in-one computer that combines display, processor, storage and more in one device. This keeps a tangle of cords and cumbersome pieces to a minimum.

• Retina display: The iMac’s display screen is called the Retina. Some iMac Retina display models are capable of producing 4K or 5K resolution, the sharpest images on the market.

• Device integration: Consumers who also own an iPhone, Apple Watch or iPad tablet can integrate these devices to share apps and data. It can centralize user’s data and sync with the iCloud to keep data accessible from any device.

• Fusion Drive: Apple’s Fusion Drive combines the storage space of a standard hard drive with the speed of a flash drive. It keeps boot times and app operations fast and responsive.

• Energy efficiency: The iMac is built with energy efficiency and environmental friendliness in mind. Its low power requirements and construction from about 30 percent of recycled materials make it a good computer option for environmentally-conscious consumers.

• Best for: Apple iMac is best for users who own other Apple devices, families and businesses.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs