3.9/5 (338 ratings)
Shop Now on Amazon

About Alienware

Alienware Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Alienware?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Alienware?

Original review: April 23, 2020

I would not recommend this horrible desktop to anyone. I am on my third Alienware and I will never spend another penny on this garbage line. Almost everything that could go wrong is going wrong with it. Bluetooth sucks... It pauses on me about 20-30 times per day. I contacted dell support and they did everything under the sun to fix it... It was good for about a week and its now again giving me problems. I have very little on this computer and use it for sales and internet browsing (basic usage). I get overkill computers so that I don't have to change them every 2 years and I like the over the top display options gaming computers provide. If you want to avoid a headache DO NOT BUY THIS HORRIBLE PRODUCT.

Original review: April 8, 2020

Horrible defective poorly made product, disgusting company. Let me preface this by saying that I have always been a Alienware fanboy and always wanted a top-end Alienware laptop since I was kid. Last year my girlfriend and I purchased a Alienware M17 laptop together instead of a MacBook Pro, which turned out to the be the worst decision I have ever made. We purchased the laptop 13 months ago, and infrequently used it for basic stuff like emailing and web surfing, and VR (used VR a total of 6 times). Now 1 month after the warranty ended the GPU went belly up and died, NVIDIA Code Error 43: Windows stopped this device because it has problem.

This seems to be a software issue at first, probably driver related. But after installing the latest drivers from NVIDIA, it still showed the same error. Then I tried installing a previous version, still same error. I tried uninstall the device/drivers and reinstalling, still same error. Then I did some searching and found a vast amount of people like me with this same exact problem. Ex: **.

I am currently working full-time as a full-stack software engineer and has previously worked as the category manager for the laptop division at Newegg, so I am not completely technically illiterate, and I think know exactly what's wrong in this particular instance (faulty GPU). To confirm, I talked with the Dell service team and out-of-warranty support team and they told me it's going to be $400-500 for the fix.

So let me get this straight, I have to pay out of pocket $500 to MAYBE (it could be the connection) to replace a GPU card that you can buy $200 brand new. Does dell treat all their customers like they're complete morons? Does dell think that I'm a **? Anyway, there's not much I can do about this other than tell this story to anyone that will ever buy anything computer related and make sure they never buy anything from dell, and maybe submit a consumer complaint to FTC, and anything else I can think of to stop another victim from falling prey to dell.

It is very disappointing, you guys have really let down your customers, and trashed the Alienware brand name with turd laptops that you guys ineptly put together, made to break within a year or two. What's worse is that when I bought this laptop my tech savvy friends laughed at me for choosing dell, little did I know how right they were. Lastly, why does no one tests your products before you release it? So known problems like this wouldn't happen? Because you not only lose a customer for life, you've also made an enemy out of a once fanboy.

(I contacted Dell Cares and they gave me a scripted response) - "I understand you’re looking for assistance with your Dell. As this support channel is currently only for products with an active warranty, unfortunately, I wouldn't be able to assist you further. Therefore, I’d like you to contact our experts in the out-of-warranty team and they would surely be able to look into this and help you accordingly." WHY BUILD $2000+ LAPTOPS THAT IS MADE TO BREAK IN A YEAR?!?!

Original review: March 17, 2020

I have never had a computer with so many issues. I wanted computer with graphic ability. I've had it for 3 months. Checked for virus, shows everything runs good. But it locks up opening programs. I have had it fixed once and it still doesn't run right. I will never buy an Alienware again.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2020

Screen failed seven months in...purchased the Premium Service package...but Dell/Alienware is not responsive at all. Initial engagement on screen was 11 Feb, with eight follow on calls, multiple emails, I was told be Dell that the new screen would be available 11 May 2020. I was stunned, this is the premium support package? I complied with requests to take pictures of the machine (before the screen failed completely)...I provided the information via MS Office products but Dell service staff said they could not open.

In the end, after a week, the Dell team told me that my responses were not acceptable as they were not hand written...They returned not one call; they have no plan to replace my machine or the part...I feel really bad I spent this much money and essentially have nothing. Live and learn. I bought an HP so I at least have functioning machine to file this report on! Buyer beware! Alienware might have been good at some point, with great service, but not now... FWIW< screen failure began as washed out colors, ghosting of closed images and windows and finally, mercifully, nothing. Will Dell follow up to any of my inquiries? I am equally devoid of hope and fear. Good luck.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2020

Had an old Alienware machine and I was 5 days from running out of warranty when water fried it. Lucky I bought the extra Accident coverage so they took it in fixed it and cleaned it up super nice leaving it looking new! It was fast, to the point, and they didn't try to blame me or say, "Oh you broke it on purpose" or anything. I've never had problems with their tech support so long as you have warranty. I'll be buying another laptop when the new RTX 30 series cards are out and I'm gonna be looking Alienware/Dell again.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2020

Purchased “gaming” laptop Oct. 2018. By June 2019 the audio went out. Purchased “premium” warranty so tech was sent to my home. 5 DAYS LATER. Tech was unable to repair. Unit picked up by Dell and returned 7 DAYS LATER. Motherboard replaced. 2 months after that the keyboard had to be repaired. 3 months later, MOTHERBOARD CRAPS OUT. I am a 57 year old that games about 5 HOURS A WEEK. This product that cost north of $3000 dollars is a HUGE disappointment. Explanation from Dell, “electronics fail, that’s why we offer warranties”. Would have been wiser to spend a third of the price at Walmart then I wouldn’t be so pissed off. STAY CLEAR OF THIS PRODUCT!!!!

Original review: Jan. 17, 2020

They sold me a defective product and after applying all the fixes they asked me to the machine still doesn't work properly. The windows updates are not being installed. Therefore if somebody is interested in starting a class action lawsuit against DELL regarding the ALIENWARE PRODUCTS please reach out to me so we can gather evidence.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2020

Purchased an Alienware laptop on Black Friday 2019 and was please with the good pricing Dell offered. Received the laptop before Christmas and all looked to be going well. Upon starting up the computer, it immediately gave the "blue screen of death" and would cycle through different error. I ran Dell's diagnostic program and it was discovered that the motherboard was fried. Dell quickly scheduled for a technician to arrive to replace the motherboard onsite. I was pleased with the process and how quickly Dell reacted to the problem.

Technician arrived two days later and replaced the motherboard but it did not fix the problem. Dell tells me that the mother and daughter boards are fried and the parts are a month out. Rather than wait a month, Dell offers to exchange the laptop for the same or better with everything being expedited. I agree. Knowing that the laptop I ordered was somewhat customized and not a part of their typical offering, I figured that Dell would bump up the specs to a mildly better laptop so that it could ship immediately. Not the case! I'm now waiting for Dell to rebuild the exact specification that I originally ordered. This entire process has been a month. I'm now getting billed to begin making payments for a computer that has never been used. I'm less than pleased.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2019

Dell customer is the worst I’ve ever dealt with! Products are expensive, but okay if you can get it delivered and never have an issue requiring help! Trust me and save yourself the headache and buy from someone else!

Original review: Dec. 17, 2019

First Alienware, an m15 makes grinding noise straight out of the box. Half an hour later, the fan died. That's build quality for you. Guess what is the reason they only give 1 yr basic warranty for their premium laptop? Yap, they dare not stand behind their product because they know they use cheap parts and have no quality control. Returning it and never touching Dell products ever again.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2019

The small triangular part that covers the connection ports on the back of the monitor was never stayed in place for me. It would always come loose and fall to the desk. I finally decided to go to chat and see if they would replace this small, think, cheaply made, plastic part. I was on the chat with the rep for over an hour, he tried to send me a manual on how to "install" this part. After this, I had to give him 3 pictures. A good hour was wasted until they said that they would not be replacing this part and there was in fact no way for me to get this piece from them.

For such an expensive monitor, the back panel needs to be much sturdier. And, in the event that something goes wrong, customer service needs to stand behind their products. I had a negative experience with the item itself, and even a worse experience with their customer support. I cannot recommend this to anyone unless you are desperate and get it on huge markdowns. Other considerations: Shortage of ports, only one Display port. Screen flickers every few hours or so. Screen can turn off and on repeatedly for no apparent reason until computer is put to sleep or restarted. Pros: Colors are vibrant.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2019

What a painful experience, all I wanted was to get the battery model for my Alienware. I had the service tag, and I spoke to 5 people all who I could not understand, it took a while to get them to understand what my service tag was. I got bounced around, back and forth and eventually someone hung up on me. I never got what I needed, guess I'll have to take the computer apart to find the part number. What a terrible experience!

Original review: Sept. 9, 2019

Absolutely shocking. Bought two Alienware machine at a huge over-inflated cost. One of which has died after around 25 hours of use. 1 month out of warranty, so now have to pay a huge amount to get it repaired. I will never buy a Dell again and I highly recommend you don't either. After care is a joke.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2019

I have had my Alienware laptop for two years now. I use it primarily for gaming and university school work, computer science and analytics classes. It has worked great for me in almost every way, never lets me down. The biggest drawback for me is its low battery life. I always have to carry around the heavy laptop along with the heavy charging cord, as the battery only seems to last for a few hours, it never really makes it the whole day. That is the only real complaint I have with it, it is a genuinely reliable and good laptop in every other way.

Original review: June 18, 2019

I have an Alienware Desktop and it works GREAT! However if you get a faulty product good luck! I purchased a Dell Alienware M15 for an upcoming trip. It arrived and worked for a couple days and that's when the problems began. I was unable to register windows. Tech guy tried everything then told me I needed to go purchase a usb stick and reinstall the OS. That fixed the windows issue but started getting blue screens and overheating laptop became unusable. Called and was told I could exchange the laptop for another one to which I got an email not even a call--an email telling me that I would have to have it repaired according to the policy.

Why is this frustrating?

1. Communication is really hard with support as they won't call you. They just email you even if you try to set an appointment with them.

2. They are not interested in a timely solution from what I have both read and now experienced.

3. They don't seem to care about what I need the laptop for and are unwilling to make an exception even though they sent me a faulty product.

Original review: May 20, 2019

Laptop working fine until, for the second time Dell releases a faulty update which screws machine. First time winter 2018 automatic update destroyed all data (clean install was needed). Now (MAY 2019) Alienware update demanded update Nvidia drivers and cannot work for more than 5 mins straight. Used to love Alienware machines but I guess I am ready to CHANGE BRANDS. Work is hard enough for Dell to keep adding trouble.

Original review: April 24, 2019

I purchased my second Alienware gaming PC. I have the Alienware Aurora R7 model. This gaming PC is amazing. I bought it in Jan 2019 and I have played new games along with old ones. This gaming PC handles these games like nothing. I have the Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070 8gb DDR5, i5 Intel 8400 with turbo boost, 2tb normal hard drive. I have over 30 games installed with tons of room for more. My machine has the Windows 10 64bit edition. The newest game Mortal Kombat 11 that just came out plays amazing with over 60+ fps at 1080p resolution. I recommend Alienware to anyone getting into gaming on PC.

Original review: April 18, 2019

This desktop from Alienware is a piece of junk for hundreds of dollars. I tried to put Windows in safe mode to change GPU settings (I am a software engineer myself). What I get is a complete blackout screen. I have been dealing with computers since high school and this junk is the worst I have ever dealt with. DO NOT BUY, IT LOOKS ATTRACTIVE, IT IS CRAP.

Original review: April 17, 2019

I bought a 1,000.00 Dell Alienware PC with Intel Core i5 8400 (6 core 9MB cache, up to 4GHz with Intel Turbo Boost), Windows 10 64bit, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070 with 8GB GDDR5. I bought this mainly for gaming and bills. I have had nothing but issues when gaming. Even Dell/Alienware support is no help. You would think that customer service would do whatever it takes to help me through the gaming issues I am having seeing that it is a GAMING pc but they are not. You are better off building your own. I have friends that have pc's with older platforms and they are running great. Constant complaints of lag, and FPS issues and no one cares.

Original review: March 15, 2019

I am one of those people that's never owned a computer. I've always used my phone and relied upon using friends/family’s computers when I've had no choice but to require one. Enter, November of 2018 when I'm in school for physics/astronomy. I fell in love with the game Elite Dangerous. Naturally relating to my degree I only played Elite and always on my PS4. I wanted it in VR so I bought the Alienware mentioned in this submission. First mistake was that I broke my rule of NEVER buying anything from Best Buy except for prepackaged items such as CD's or DVD's/Blu-ray which aren't things we really need to buy any more so I shouldn't have gone there to look. Ended up ordering this PC because it was supposed to handle Elite in Ultra VR and I could progress in my degree with it and use it for homework and projects etc.

First off, it didn't come with a power cord so I bought one. Long story short you guys/gals, this is a brand new computer and while it does play games and it does handle some heavy graphics at times; I spend at least an hour or two each week on the phone with Alienware tech support to get something else fixed. A brand new PC shouldn't IMMEDIATELY cause problems like this. I'm really glad I didn’t purchase the additional warranty as well because it would have just involved being able to spend more time on the phone with tech support having me do the same redundant bs that the last agent had me do. I saved that money and I'm going to spend it very soon on building my own computer when Bitcoin stops killing our graphics card prices or at the very worst case scenario, buy a new PC from a smaller company that cares more about their product and their clientele.

I guarantee you that some big CEO exec at Dell has either seen or at least been advised of the problems being reported because I see very angry people, EVERYWHERE. And they're all not happy. But I can also guarantee you that same exec is also knowledgeable of the current stock price of Dell, currently at $59.69 and just went up $2.51, and this is what they care about. They see the numbers rollin' in cause idiots like me wasted money on their ** product and that's what they're paid the big, big bucks to care about. The world has turned into a very greedy place and it really makes me sad that my daughter is going to have to grow up in a world that people like this run our tech progression and probably run quite a bit of politics behind the scenes as well.

Everything has its cycle though and everything runs its course. If there's one thing I KNOW being a man of science it's that entropy will win in the end. It always does. This cycle will run its course eventually and Dell will be standing there with their heads in the sand and nothing but a legacy of poor service and shoddy workmanship to tell their grandkids about. It is on THAT day that we the consumers who have been taken advantage of win. It is on that day that entropy wins and no stock market number can change that.

Original review: March 9, 2019

It's a shame, first time in over 20 years that I buy a pre-built computer from a company. The customer service is absolutely horrendous. I ordered the system, it still hasn't shipped, the company is now advertising 12% off company wide. I sent a request asking for the discount since they haven't even shipped my order yet. The agent responds that a discount can't be applied unless I cancel and reorder the product; however, in the same breath offered a lesser discount, 3%, if I didn't cancel my order?!? Let me get this straight... You can't but you can? That doesn't make sense and is insulting that the play was even attempted. It's been several days since my initial complaint. Now Dell and Alienware are ignoring my complaint. They are fast to take my money, but non-existent when I have a legitimate complaint.

Original review: March 6, 2019

I ordered a new Alienware area-51M laptop. Before the item was shipped I noticed there was a site wide 12% discount. I contacted Dell support and asked to have the promotion applied to my purchase since it has not been shipped yet. Customer service replied that the discount couldn't be applied unless I cancel and reorder my laptop; however they offered to apply a lesser discount, approximately 3%, if I didn't cancel my order. How is it that they are unable to apply a site wide promotion to my order, but they can apply a lesser counter offer? They are literally telling me they can't, but they can.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

Purchased a $3200 Alienware laptop last July. Since day one it has the black screen of death problem. Horrified to know that this problem goes back to 2015 or prior yet they still keep putting these out. They want to replace my monitor. Refurbish. I don’t want that. I want my money back and they refused it. Instead they still try to fine print me even though I have an extended warranty. Absolutely the worst company you have I’ve ever dealt with in my life and will never ever ever ever deal with them again. Please avoid this company and it is true - you can’t understand a word their customer service speaks.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

I bought an Alienware laptop because, at the time, it was the only laptop that could run dual 3D projectors and virtual reality. But the computer has been an absolute disaster from day one. To start, it's very difficult to use. Windows constantly open and close of their own volition, it's difficult to open or close windows, it's constantly going out of whack and needing updates. Within a week or two of my warranty expiring, I started receiving constant phone calls, multiple calls a day sometimes. Always, it was Dell telling me that my warranty expired and saying I need a new one. Despite my asking them to stop calling, they continued. And then my speaker started making a loud crackling/clicking sound and, you might think that having a warranty would help but no--they'll just tell you that you need to buy a new computer.

Dell doesn't seem to care that they will eventually have a class action lawsuit over selling garbage computers. The penalties they will pay will be far less than the profits they make selling these overpriced computers that are manufactured in China. But the fact is, no matter where it's manufactured, Alienware laptops are garbage so far as I can tell. I truly regret buying this computer. It was a VERY expensive mistake.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

Bought an Alienware laptop, its keyboard stopped functioning. Contacted Dell to have it fixed, they sent a technician and he mishandled my laptop so bad that there are scratches all over the body of my laptop. He did not even place the laptop on the special blanket he brought with himself. While he was opening the laptop, he placed many parts on the Floor of my room! I told Dell and they requested me to send my laptop to them, been waiting 2 months now and they sent the laptop back to me and haven't fixed half the things. The person who was assigned to my case does not even answer my email or calls. They have been ignoring me nonstop. Never buying anything from Dell ever again.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

This computer is supposed to be an "advanced" gaming computer, but it apparently can't handle ANY game I have. It always crashes or lags a lot. Also, it is extremely slow when processing stuff, and loading websites. The storage compartment of mine can barely fit four games, instantly filling up after I download two. Words of advice, DON'T GET AN ALIENWARE.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

I ordered an Alienware R7 in May of 2018. Since then, I have had three tech guys to my house, on three separate occasions, for three separate issues, who changed out the graphics card, SSD, and motherboard. Each event was a difference issues. Tech support still unable to resolve the issue, had Dell mailed me a new R7.

After a month of light gaming, the second R7 stopped working entirely. I shipped the new R7 back to them and they sent it back with another new graphics card but this time they gave it the white glove treatment and system check prior to shipping to ensure quality. Which you would think they would do with every PC. When I got the R7 back, I plugged it in, made the necessary updates, and then opened a browser. This is when the system froze and rebooted. I was able to get back to my desktop after the reboot at which time I opened Steam and the system froze again and rebooted. As of now (November 2018) Dell refuses to refund my money, they cannot fix the issues, and two R7s later, they have proven incapable of providing a basic PC. I now have a $1700 paperweight.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

I don't know where to begin. You're paying for an AI laptop that memorizes user input redundancies then executes commands without user input. In other words this is experimental AI and it SUCKS. The laptop has a brain of its own. You click up. It clicks down. You view videos. A random app opens. It will shift through windows and kick you out of things you're writing. It's nonintuitive. Cortona sucks and is designed to make you stupid. Any Windows based system is superior to this. The computer also spies on you and records everything you do and say. Now, after only 6 months of use - the battery has stopped working and requires 24/7 plugin.

This is expensive garbage artificial AI tech where Dell has figured out how to make their customers pay for their RD. $4,000.00 for total garbage. I tell you the truth when I say my HP 2012 laptop is superior to this. Because it DOES ITS JOB! Who gives a damn about pretty colors and cool looks when your laptop sucks! Look at the reviews from Consumer Affairs and compare them to other reviews. Consumer Affairs has real reviews. The others are FAKE and PAID OFF. I write a review on other sites and it's deleted/never approved. Please people heed this warning.

The Alienware laptop is a garbage rip off marketing scam. You're getting SCAMMED if you buy Alienware. The battery is internal which does not allow for switching. The software craps out for no reason. The console overheats for no reason. The mousepad is erratic for no reason because the AI tech can't figure out what you're going to do next. It's AWFUL. What kind of direction is tech heading when 2010-12 laptops are outperforming 2018 laptops. Do NOT make the same mistake I did. Do NOT equate flashy sales and marketing and price with - quality. Do NOT purchase a Dell Alienware laptop. This is the most gawd awful laptop ever. 1 star is TOO MUCH.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2018

Dell has the absolute worst customer service. I spent $4000 on an Alienware R5 17 in silver and they sent me a black one. One at a time, They sent me 3 separated new "silver replacements" which have all showed up to be the black model. I don't know the difficulty about opening the box and making sure it's silver before they ship it.

After about 2 months of back and forward with Dell and shipping returns to Purolator, I said, "Screw it. I want a full refund." It's now been three months and they're still taking money out of my account... I don't even own one of their products anymore. I've called DCS and they continue to give me the run around and tell me that it could take up to 30 days for my account to zero. What about my money they've taken? How long will it take to get that back? Do yourself a favor, take my advise or don't. Save yourself hours and hours of frustration, wait times and misunderstandings. run to a store to buy a computer. That way there are no misunderstandings. If there's a problem just return it. It's that simple. Dell is a joke that have taken advantage of way too many of their customers. I hope some day it bites them in the **.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

Customer service after the sale is nearly as important as the build quality of the machine. Dell/Alienware failed in both. I've had this expensive Alienware 15 R4 for just over three months and had three service visits. The screen had to be replaced due to the worst light leak (more like a huge gap) I've ever seen. I ended up with a home service visit because the repair depot sent desktop boxes for a laptop, twice. Then, the service provider failed to reassemble the machine correctly and another visit was required. Next, it turned out that the storage drive was DOA and had to be replaced. The service person they sent that time did a decent job, nearly making up for the extremely rude Dell customer service rep I talked to on the phone. Alienware was once a great brand. Sadly, my experience so far indicates that this is no longer the case. Bottom line, their customer service and products are terrible. Do not buy!

Alienware Company Information