1.40/5
Based on 156 reviews that contain star ratings

240 Alienware Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

I got Alienware R3 17 in 2016 - and I never really had an issue with it. Fast forward to Sept 12 2018, that is when things started to go wrong. I bought a game called Far Cry 5 and I played a bit of it until everything went black. To me I thought it was an issue concerning my battery. So I went to GeekSquad, and they informed me it was the motherboard same with MicroCenter. I was warned that replacing an Alienware Motherboard is like 800+ dollars. At the point I just gave up. I would rather purchase a desktop instead. That being said - ironically Alienware called me to extend my warranty.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2018

I have been completely happy with my Area 51 computer, it has exceeded way above any of my previous computers. So when I was finally able to play practically any game on Ultra+ settings, it felt like heaven! Not having to always reduce the quality of games and resolutions and simply not being able to play any of those new, top titles, is a burden that I no longer have to carry. With this beautiful product, I basically have no limits! I should note that I got this at a small discount due to it being an older-ish model.

Get expert buying tips about Computer Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

I purchased a 17 inch Alienware laptop. My credit card is at one address, my delivery address was different. Dell stopped the shipment internally, and posted on their website that the FBI had intercepted my order and stopped processing it. The FBI was never involved!!! They just didn't process my order and failed to let me know. Then, they lied about the FBI's involvement in my order!!! Ultimately, the laptop was delivered, and it works fine. However... I was supposed to get Reward points that I could use to buy accessories, like a carrying case. BUT they didn't tell me that it takes 30 business days to get those reward points after the computer is received!!! So I don't have a carrying case to protect the laptop for over a month.

So I finally received those reward points, and placed an order for a carrying case. My order was processed, and I looked at their website which told me that my case would arrive on 8/23. When it didn't arrive as expected, I went online and looked at their website - to find the status of my order. A large yellow banner clearly stated that my order was stopped by the FTC (Federal Trade Commission). Yes, it is clear that my laptop carrying case is a threat to the nation!

I did not receive an email from Dell telling me that they were not shipping the case to me. I had to figure it out by myself when it failed to arrive as advertised. Same thing as with the delivery of the laptop itself - I never received any information that my order had been stopped. Seems like the only way you find out what the status of your order is, is to look online and call them. They will not tell you that your goods are not going to arrive as they told you before. When I called to follow-up with customer service, two internal people told me on the telephone that the item was not in stock! AND that the order would be shipped to me on 8/30 - that there was no FTC involvement. Moreover, I will be back in Arizona before the item arrives in California sometime in September.

So whenever they don't perform, their standard excuse is that the US Federal government prevented the shipment. Don't believe them!!! Although they make a really good product, they lie to their customers, and you can't plan anything around their shipments. This last comment really causes me problems, since I go back and forth between Arizona and California frequently. It is important for me to know when items will be delivered. Do I send it to my Arizona address or to my California address? If I'm wrong, it might sit outside of my home for a month, waiting for me to arrive.

Further, it will be 2 full months before my computer has a case to protect it from the elements. I have another trip to Arizona and then a trip to Washington State without the benefit of a protective case. That's bad!!! VERY BAD SHIPPING AND VERY BAD INFORMATION TO THE CUSTOMER!!! I ordered a Dell because they have a pretty good reputation in the marketplace. They are doing everything they can to screw up their reputation. Failure to deliver products, and failure to keep their customers informed are major defects in the Dell model. They really can and should do better!!!

Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

Nothing but problems from the beginning. Paid over $3000 for my laptop. Dell even rejected my review. First off is that I had to call and they re-installed Command Center... then I started getting spam messages from Alienware Support; over 300 an hour - after 3 days they got it stopped. Their Support Assist is broken on my laptop so I have to manually go to their support page and check by current date for updated drivers. They try hard, but it's even also hard to understand them. Definitely not worth the money and definitely my last Dell gaming computer.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

Purchased the Aurora R6 in August of 2017, have not had a problem with it, still as quiet as the day I got it and runs all the games I can think of, I was a little disappointed that they don't offer Dual Channel memory unless you get the 32 Gb Ram option, I only got the 16 Gb came with 1 stick, and it had an AMD RX580 graphics card. I would prefer a Nvidia Gtx 1060 or 1070 but all in all I'm happy with it.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Alienware?

Original review: July 26, 2018

Bought the Alienware x51. Broke down three times. They would not replace it or refund it. So I filed a lawsuit through small claims. That eventually got through. They called me to settle. They're practically criminals. Just be ready for problems if you decide to buy from them.

Original review: July 13, 2018

One they are extremely shady on what their extended warranty covers. I have both software and hardware issues so the Alienware 18 must be returned for maintenance, yet they force me to do a hard reset, which does not solve the software issue. They call me last Saturday and tell me they are sending a box for return, it is now Thursday and I receive this email: "I made an update to the team in charge of the OOP and confirmed the things that needed to be addressed. They closed the case and are not sending any box at the moment. They sent you the last email on 7/11/2018. Please take a look at that. I also requested them to contact back. Thank you for choosing Dell."

Are you kidding me, David says there is an issue, so let's close the case and not send a box, problem solved, ignore the customer... I will never buy Alienware ever again unless they fix these issues, and this computer has been a issue since the start, I have sent it back 12 times in the past 3 years, every time asking to just replace the unit every time, well... it needs to do this 3 times, it does it 3 times and well... it didn't do it 3 times in a month it has been 4 months. It starts over after a month, they will never just replace a broken unit.

I am so disgusted with DELL right now, every time I call I have to talk to several departments, all who cannot help and then the answer is (the correct department will contact you within 24 hours) they never do. I have been reading the comments and seeing many of the same issues with other users, I will make sure to tell everyone I know to avoid Alienware at all cost, they will only lie on warranties and hurt you as a customer.

Original review: July 3, 2018

I bought 2 17R4 Alienware laptops for my kids. Both of them stopped working after a year. I paid over 3,000 dollars for them. I contacted Dell and to talk to some person that doesn't speak English very well. Anyway, this foreigner told me that I would be charged for them to help me. I was going to buy the parts needed from Dell but I refuse to be charged for hardware support. Dell is terrible! I would recommend never buying anything from Dell whatsoever.

Original review: June 29, 2018

Within a year the video card went out, I got scared and purchased the extended warranty. A few months later the laptop (Alienware Laptop Gaming Computer 7th generation 4K 2017 piece) will not turn on. I called customer service and asked for a replacement. They said I had to wait for three attempts of repairs before that happens. They then said, "We can walk you through it and open it up, disconnect the ram and the battery and restart it!" I paid over $2,000.00 for this piece of crap and have had nothing but problems! Asked for a replacement. Still waiting for an answer from a supervisor. By the way had to wait 45 minutes on hold until I was able to speak to someone.

Original review: June 8, 2018

I have had this Alienware Alpha for about 2 years now. The one I have now was not even the original! The original one I had broke (flashing yellow light upon start-up) and I had to send my system back while they sent me a new one! Granted, this new one lasted longer but the warranty was up after 6 months and here I am at not even the two year mark and the Windows Audio service shuts itself off on its own. The GPU Fan Failure comes up at start-up (press F1 to continue) and I get crashed as application failures on things that are on minimum graphics or not even games at all. Never buying from here again, try Xidax, at least they give you lifetime warranty and service XD.

Resolution response: April 30, 2018

Finally after five months of troubles they think they have fixed it by removing the over-clocking feature on my computer.

Original review: April 25, 2018

I purchased an Alienware Aurora R6 11/28/17, after the first month a message popped up saying that my command center, which controls the fans and cooling, was now turned off. I contacted AW and they reloaded AW COMMAND CENTER. a week later it happened again, this time while talking to AW Tech person the computer turn off and would not start. They replaced the motherboard and power pack and reloaded Win 10. A few weeks later the same message again popped up. This reloading the AW CC has been done seven times now to a four month old computer. Now they are saying it is not a hardware issue, software.

This is a copy of their last message to me, "Hi James, Thank you for your valuable time. The case was previously escalated to our engineering department, they said that this is a software problem probably caused by an update that may be changing the AWCC registry. According to them we have to wait until AW CC updated version is release." So how long am I supposed to go without my computer until this gets fixed? They have no answer! I will never buy another Dell or Dell-Alienware computer again! This was supposed to be a high-end computer at $1600!

Original review: March 24, 2018

I feel your pain. And it's not just the old gen laptops. I bought a brand new 15 inch R4 which I've had for about 6 months now and all I've been doing since I've had it is sort out issues. USB transfer problems with motherboard replaced, lighting zones lit only half the time and now side panels not switching on. BSOD's due to bad RAM management, Sound Recon annoying blue circle always appearing without being activated, Tobii camera failing to reinstall, bloatware that doesn't work half the time etc etc. Worst investment ever, and at a cost! Every time one thing gets fixed another problem arises. If it didn't cost me an arm and a leg I would've done the same. Despite the fact that it's garbage, my old Gigabyte laptop that cost me half the price I paid for my Crapware, actually had better performance. I'll be selling this POS and so I can get a Predator instead. Goodbye and good riddance.

Original review: March 21, 2018

I love this machine and knew when Dell purchased the company it would start to suck. They USED to be assembled in the USA. They are now built in China. If you search long enough, you find it's an American Company, but after Dell purchased them, they are now assembled in China. For a $2k system, you'd think they would be built in the USA. Dell is making a lot of money on the name. If you want to find a gaming computer still assembled in the US, look into Razer. This will be the company I will look into if my Alienware gives up the ghost.

Original review: March 4, 2018

I've been a Dell consumer for ~20 years, but I think I'm done. I bought a relatively high-end Alienware 17in laptop about a year ago, and one week before my warranty expired the S-key pad on my keyboard broke cleanly in half. It started as a small fracture and soon came completely apart as I was typing emails. So clean, that I'm guessing it was either a design or manufacturing flaw. In my 30+ years of typing and gaming I've never had a keyboard key break. Dell customer service played email games, and only one phone call, over the next 2 weeks with me... conveniently past my 1 year warranty program.

No one has called back from tech support or other offices. Another department sent me numerous emails requesting that I send money to extend my warranty. I asked them to get involved, and I told them there was no way I would sign up if the laptop warranty I had previously doesn't even cover a single key on a keyboard. Silence from that end too. Buyers beware!

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

Dell Alienware Aurora - Just spent $2000.00 on this new desktop. The first day I notice a problem with the graphic card. The frame rate would drop way down while playing a game. So on the second day I called tech support. They determined on the third day of troubleshooting I need a new card. I had to wait about two weeks to get it. When the tech arrived at my house I noticed that when he took the graphic card out of the wrapper the wrapper said, "This is a refurbished card." I could not believe that Dell would send a refurbished graphic card. The computer is only two weeks old. So I call Dell right away.

They said that even though the new graphic card was no good on day one I do not get a new graphic card. I get a used one. How can a company treat a customer like crap. I told the Dell tech support guy if I wanted a refurbished desktop I would have paid a lot less money. I paid for new parts not used. So here I am with a new computer with used parts in it. Dell does not stand behind its product. They make it sound like do. Someone needs to tell the CEO of Dell that is not the way to treat customer. I am sure they would not want to be treated like that.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2018

Since day 5 of getting my Alpha, I've been having problems. It started off I'd just have to keep unplugging everything and replug the power cord only back in while turning it on... to disconnecting the CMOS battery every couple days. I couldn't turn the computer off or the yellow light of death would reappear. 4 months later it was done for. Nothing worked. So I sent it back to the company. They only changed out the battery which almost took a month to get the computer back. Worked fine for 5 to 6 months (I hardly turned off the computer unless for updates) then the yellow light of death returned after having to restart the computer for an update.

Nothing worked, so I contacted DELL and because I was a month over my warranty they basically said, "Screw you, you have to pay almost full amount of a brand new one just to have it fixed." All I ever heard since I've had this Alienware is nothing but bad news. Never personally knew anyone that had an Alienware, so I didn't know what I was getting myself into. One of my biggest regrets in my life. Maybe we should all get together and sue this piece of ** company! Never again will I or anyone I know be ordering a DELL product.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2017

I recently contacted Dell after sending my Alienware Aurora R6 in for warranty work after the power supply stopped working. I originally ordered it July 18 2017 and had nothing but great things to say until the failure. After getting an email back stating that there were BUGS found in the case, I called and was informed that due to it being a "Bio Hazard" my warranty was now void. I inquired as to where and what kind of bug but was told nothing further. Before shipping the computer out, I opened the case to inspect for contamination. The inside minus the fan units, looked as clean as the day I bought it. The fan units were dusty and dirty but nothing to indicate bugs. I was informed that there is a process on intake that had to be followed and my unit had been flagged, but there was no evidence, no followup, no verification. Below I have listed everything purchased with the unit in July 2017.

After discussing warranties with the sales rep before purchase, I was assured that the Accidental Damage Service purchased was a catch all for an additional $79. I obviously made this purchase with every intent of protecting it and now I own a $1700 paper weight that I have only used for 5 months. When I inquired into pro rating the warranty since they were not going to honor any repairs, I was also told it was not their policy and not their problem. I did lose my cool initially due to the stonewalling but could not get past a floor supervisor. I did apologize but again nothing changed.

Itemized list. Accidental damage service, 2 years, premium support, 2 years, premium support with onsite service after remote diagnosis, 1 year extended premium support with onsite service after remote diagnosis, 1 year, Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7600K processor (4-cores, 6MB cache, turbo boost 2.0, overclocked up to 4.0GHz on all four cores), 16GB M.2 PCIe Optane memory, 16GB HyperX(TM) FURY DDR4 XMP at 2667MHz; up to 32GB (additional memory sold separately), NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 with 6GB GDDR5, Alienware(TM) 460 watt multi-GPU approved power supply with high performance liquid cooling, Dell limited hardware warranty initial year, Dell limited hardware warranty extended year(s), Dell.com order, US power cord.

Windows 10 Home-HE (64bit) English none required, Microsoft(R) Office 30 days trial, no FGA, no option included, Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 label, additional software, shipping material, placemat (English, French, BRPT, Spanish), safety/environment and regulatory guide (English/French), CMS essentials DVD no media, thank you for choosing Dell, Killer Wireless 1535 driver, Alienware mouse is not included, keyboard not included, Killer 1535 802.11ac 2x2 WiFi and Bluetooth 4.1, 8x DVD+/-RW 9.5mm ODD, screw for solid state drive, 2TB 7200RPM 6Gb/s, regulatory label for 460W.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

Just an average laptop, you are paying more for the name rather than getting a really good computer, Make sure that you do your homework before checking/ purchasing your computer.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

This computer rings all the bells for me as a work computer. It has the power, memory and I love all of the Alienware features. I think this may be the brand I stick with in the future.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

Do not buy from Dell nor buy any Alienware products. I purchased a computer for my son for Christmas 2015. It did not come until January 2016 and he was very disappointed. He was so excited to finally get it but when we got home and plugged it in, it didn't even work! The machine will not even turn on and blinks a yellow signal. If you Google the problem you will see this is a mass issue! I spent hours and months on the phone with support. I sent the machine back and forth several times. They also sent me a "refurbished" machine and asked me to send back the NEW one I purchased. It is now October 2017 and I STILL do not have a working machine. They are not willing to work with me unless I spend another $250 dollars. What a rip off! What a waste of time and money! DO NOT BUY FROM DELL OR ALIENWARE!

Original review: Sept. 25, 2017

I have had multiple problems with my purchase of a Dell computer: Alienware Aurora R6. There was a problem with the Windows 10 operating system. After I had transferred all my files and programs to the Alienware computer from my old one, it became apparent Windows 10 did not work properly (audio drivers did not work and could not be fixed). The solution was to reformat the Alienware computer, thereby erasing all my programs and files.

There is the problem of usefulness and misrepresentation. This computer does not meet the requirements that I discussed with the salesperson. I told her I typically run multiple programs (8-10) plus multiple windows open simultaneously (~20 or more). I also use 2 monitors. The Alienware Aurora R6 (recommended to me by the salesperson) is apparently not capable of handling this, as I sadly learned after I unfortunately purchased it. My 6-8 year old computer is better and faster.

Alienware is very slow, considerably slower than the computer it is replacing (my old computer is 6-8 years old). I demonstrated how slow it was to a Dell rep (he took control of my computer through GoToAssist). It became unresponsive and the Rep could see it. It often becomes unresponsive when I'm using it. I have since ceased using it and am relying on my old computer for the time being.

I asked Dell to take this computer back and I'd purchase a replacement that fits my needs, has more computing power, and does not malfunction. Dell refused, saying > 30 days had elapsed; this is true, but the computer sat in my office for 30 days before I had time to set it up for use. To be fair, the Dell rep said he would attempt to fix the problems I'm having. So far, I am extremely disappointed with my purchase, in Dell's quality, and salespeople who misrepresented what this computer could do. Out of the box, this computer has not worked; it remains to be seen if the Rep can fix the problems.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

After forking out over 2K for the product I have had nothing but problems. It has consistent frame-rate issues playing Heroes of the Storm, Overwatch etc. I had it repaired, and it was given a full restore but continued to have the problem. On three occasions the sound card has simply stopped working and have not had sound. Again I took it back, system restore and it happened again. I would NEVER purchase a Dell product again. STAY AWAY.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2017

I bought this laptop and spent countless hours on the phone with tech support over the course of a number of weeks. After reinstalling the OS for the fourth time, having hardware sent out with a technician to replace what came with the build, and continuing to have constant, sudden hard shut downs, I returned the computer. I shut down my Dell preferred account because I never wanted to deal with Dell again, and a number of MONTHS later I received a call telling me I had not paid the minimum payment on their card, and had incurred multiple late fees. They refused to credit the account, they refused to forgive the late fees. I went to sign into the account and found that they had made my login invalid the first time I had shut down the account, so there was no possible way for me to see the account or pay the balance.

I was bullied with threats about more late fees and with a hit to my credit score and was forced to actually make a payment on this absolute piece of garbage. Again, the payment went to a fee because the minimum balance was not met, and then three late fees. So they refunded the money for the computer and charged me over a hundred dollars purely as a total scam 4 months after receiving the computer. I am livid - I just cannot understand why companies like Dell insist on running their business like a mob boss. I will never purchase a Dell product for the rest of my life. These people are absolutely terrible.

Original review: July 26, 2017

On May 16, 2016, I received an Alienware Alpha for my birthday since I wanted to get into pc gaming. Receiving it was a joy and I hooked it up to everything and started playing and downloading things. It was great for a month then I turned it off one day. Wake up the next day to it by turning back on making flashing yellow lights and I called customer support and I returned it to get it fixed. Now I'm going to cut to the chase but I had to send it back two different times because it broke again not surprising. They send it back finally fixing more than one thing. Got it back and I realized I was getting lower performances on games and other things. It didn't matter much because it wasn't a huge drop and I wasn't going to send it back for another 2 weeks. It lasted for 3-4 months and here I am today so unsatisfied talking to every one at customer support saying they won't do anything about it or will. 4 times in a year it has broke. Unbelievable

Original review: July 13, 2017

I have been struggling to understand how I have had to send my computer twice now back to your warehouse for repairs and additionally, I have had three drivers issues which has affected my progression in college. Unfortunately, I have no control over these poor driver's issues due to the fact that the drivers on your website have hardly ever been updated and fail to line up with the latest windows 10 updates. Thus, I would be constantly stuck in this endless loop where I would constantly have to manually adjust my onboard graphics card and constantly have to reinstall the correct drivers. However, Windows 10 forces these updates and would force my onboard graphics card to automatically update to the incorrect drivers and thus, I would lose my display output on my computer screen.

I would then have to disable my onboard graphics card and use my gaming graphics card to type papers. This drastically cut my battery life in half which hindered my capabilities of using my Alienware 13R2 for school. I received very minimal help from your customer service and went through a total of nine different representatives during the months of April and May and had to reset my laptop from scratch during this process as well. Each representative either could not get back to me at the designated time that we had agreed to or failed to resolve the software issue on my computer. I even had conversations on the phone that would last for hours and often led to said representative having to have access to my computer and they had to manually reinstall the correct drivers.

These hours of talk normally followed up with my computer once again reinstalling a windows update and reinstalling the incorrect drivers on my computer. Thus, I would have to give Alienware a call again either the next day and once again disable my onboard graphics card and use my gaming card to continue with my daily school work. Towards the end of the school year during Easter, I finally got ahold of someone from Alienware through numerous phone calls that seemed to understand the situation. This representative then proceeded to manually install the correct drivers and proceeded to try to create a method that would block my computer from installing the incorrect drivers in the forced Windows 10 updates.

After two hours of being on the phone I found myself surprised to have gone a whole week without losing the display on my computer. However, today is the month of July and I unfortunately, am having to send my computer back to your warehouse because these driver issues have once again found a way to plague my computer. After two hours and forty minutes on the phone, the representative over the phone decided it would be best for me to send in my computer and that they would also restart my computer from scratch. At this point I had lost all faith in you Dell/Alienware and I will be looking to go computer shopping for a computer that can become my new primary and I will NOT be buying from you or recommend you to any of my friends in the market for a computer.

The months of April and May ended up being the hardest months of college and these ended up being the months I needed a laptop the most. These were of course the months when the driver issues ended up hindering my capabilities in school and placed me in great danger of failing to meet my time specific deadlines in college. While the supervisor I spoke to may claim to understand my situation and made a strong emphasis that he understood how angry and upset I was with Alienware/Dell this does not justify the fact that I could have lost thousands of dollars in scholarship. I currently go to the University of New Mexico, and my lottery scholarship currently covers about 60% of my tuition and in order to keep this scholarship I must obtain a certain GPA (Grade Point Average).

While my GPA may be above the required GPA for the lottery scholarship, when I fail to meet my instructor's deadlines because of a faulty computer that I emphasized multiple times I don't want and would like to exchange this puts me under tons of stress and puts me in a situation where college could become unaffordable. My parents pay for me to go to college and could BARELY afford for me to go to college with all the generous financial help I am receiving and while you may claim to understand my situation, you put me in a situation that could have changed my education in the worst way possible. However, these driver problems were not the only problems I faced within ONLY owning this unit for a grand total of a little over SIX MONTHS.

I received this unit late October and have had problems with this unit since day one. My unit not only arrived later than anticipated, I could tell from looking at the exterior packaging that my unit would have problems. Surprisingly, I opened up my box to find my computer has been strapped to a piece of cardboard and that part of the plastic casing actually fell off my unit. I then turned on my unit to find that half the internal LCD had been cracked. I called Alienware and had to send my unit back however, Alienware/Dell REFUSED to give me an exchange on my unit which I mainly wanted and instead they would either repair my unit or would offer me a refund. I decided to go against my parent's judgment and decided to wait the extra month for my unit and let Alienware repair my unit. THIS ENDED UP BEING THE WORST DECISION I HAVE MADE WITH A COMPUTER.

When I received my unit back I noticed that my computer had a strange rattling sound and so I popped open the interiors of my computer. I noticed that a screw had not been screwed in my hard drive and that screw ended up rolling around throughout the entire unit. This failed practice of efficiently fixing my unit could have damaged the interior of my computer without me having any knowledge of the situation. Additionally, Alienware/Dell lied to me and I noticed that I only had 4 gigs of RAM instead of the 8 gigs of RAM that the product description told me I would get. This would not be a problem because I decided to upgrade my computer to 16 gigs of RAM however, I feel like Alienware/Dell robbed my parents hard earned money through a bunch of lies. Additionally, to this day still, the lights on the back of my computer DO NOT work and have NEVER worked since they came out of the original box.

My parents spent seven hundred to eight hundred dollars of their hard earned cash to buy me this laptop and being scammed feels like an understatement. While yes I bought this unit with the intention of doing casual gaming on this laptop, I also bought this unit primarily for the portability and for the papers that I needed to type on this laptop. Typing papers and doing school work were the bare minimum I needed from this laptop and this unit failed to perform the bare minimum. You can apologize for the experience Dell/Alienware however, I will still be baffled with how I will never get an exchange unit to replace this faulty unit even though my computer has a current warranty still that will not expire till October. I understand that the refund will have to be done within the first 30 days.

However, an exchange in my book qualifies as something less penalizing on your company and to this day I will never understand after having multiple problems with my unit from only owning my unit for a little over SIX MONTHS why I will be stuck with a faulty unit. During these six months I will now have had to have sent my unit back to your warehouse twice, I've had three driver's issues, I've also been lied to about what I will be receiving in my product, and then to top this off I will never know why I still own this unit and could not get an exchange even though this unit has a warranty.

I understand that providing excellent customer service can be challenging having worked in the food serving industry for nine months. However, having trained a few people at my new job I personally emphasize that the customer is always right and, if the customer does not like the food take it back and get them something else on the house. While the food industry and computer industry may be different, they both strive for great service. I felt frustrated, angry, upset, and most importantly disappointed whenever I had to call Alienware/Dell to get my computer issues resolved and felt that most of my calls were getting next to nowhere.

I write this in hopes that Dell/Alienware you can understand how you ruined the experience of an unbiased customer and that you have given me the most frustrating six months of owning a laptop. While I understand that providing excellent customer service can be challenging, I still find myself shocked with how many issues I have had with this unit and how a massive company like Dell will refuse to exchange my unit after all the challenges I've had to face with this unit. It saddens me to think that I will be shopping for a computer this time with my own money due to the fact that I can't trust my 13R2.

Original review: June 26, 2017

I have owned an Alienware Aurora R4 for over 5 years. I liked it so much that I purchased an M17 laptop, fully loaded with all top of the line components. Both computers have been perfect since purchased. My jaw dropped when I saw so many negative reviews for Alienware here. I have recommended, and continue to recommend AW to all of my family and friends.

Original review: May 30, 2017

This issue was from day one. The video would go away after a few hours of operation. Dell tech support went through the thing with me for three hours. Thought it was the video card. They sent another card with a tech, but it did not fix the issue. Next tried to replace Windows 10, nothing. Tech support is out of Costa Rica and you can't just call them up. They won't consider a replacement under warranty. $3100 for this POS. I feel Dell has ripped me off!

Original review: May 29, 2017

We have been long time computer users both desktop, laptop and tablets. We have really liked all Alienware computers but the 17R3 has been a huge disappointment. We purchased two in March 2016 and have had nothing but issues with them locking up, shutting down and overheating. Mine had to have the motherboard replaced in August 2016 which resolved most of the issues but occasionally still locks up. However my husband's computer has now stopped working like mine did last year so we know it is the motherboard gone bad. Sadly his waited till the warranty ran out.

I have used computers since late 1970's and never had to have any of them serviced EVER! I actually outgrown them and pass them down to be used by others who cannot afford computers and many are still going strong today. BUT these two laptops have been nothing but a pain in my side. Per technical support the bad motherboards were a known issue last year and are no longer being used. As soon as the issue was known there should have been a recall to replace motherboards for all customers to prevent future issues.

Original review: May 22, 2017

My review is based on Dell Alienware computers and not that of other Dell computers. I first purchased a Dell Alienware desktop about 6 years ago. At first, it gave a LOT of problems with sudden crashes, lack of responsiveness and many other problem. Dell did eventually sent me a new Alienware desktop that has worked well ever since. I thought this was a fluke. Thus, I recently purchased a Dell Alienware 17 inch Laptop. I got it because, on paper, it was a great deal for the money. It has 32 GB of fast ram, i7- 4.2 GZHs speed, a great graphic card and networking card, a SSD for the operating system and great hard drive for everything else plus a 4 year ON SITE warranty for under $2,700. In addition, it had a 6 hour battery life. What is there not to like? Even better it beat out similar competitors from Origin and Digital Storm by at least $1,000 on similar configuration. However, I did get what I paid for.

After about 30 days, I noticed some problems. First, I had a loose USB port, which created some sound problems for my microphone. Moreover, since there are only two of these ports, this became an issue. Secondly, the internet speed didn't match other computers in my home for some reason. I have especially fast internet here that normally gives 175 MPS on most computers and even on speed app testing with my phone. The Alienware registers 135 MBS at best, which was strange. Even my wife's regularly HP computer gave 178 MBS.

Upon calling Dell, they insisted that I return the computer to them for fixing. Why they wouldn't honor my onsite repair warranty is still a question. However, I did as instructed. Just as an aside, I was sent to a guy who I could barely understand who was in either India or Pakistan. Dell farms out ALL customer service to their foreign countries. It isn't always easy to get someone who speaks English well. It is a hit or miss proposition.

About two weeks after I sent the computer back to Dell, I get a call that I have a loose USB port and since the USB is attached to the motherboard, they can't fix it for at least 2 months. NO wonder Dell is cheaper: They attach ports to the motherboards and cuts corners in other ways as part of the manufacturing process, and they don't use Americans who speak understandable English for customer service. I, thus, wanted a refund. Obviously Dell's quality control has some big issues since this happened to me TWICE.

I was referred to the refund department. In order to get a refund, however, I had to send back the original computer. However, when I told them that Dell already has it as part of Technical Support's request for it to be sent back, this wasn't acceptable. I had to send back the ORIGINAL computer to the refund department to get a refund, assuming they would give it to me anyway. The fact that some Dell department already had my computer was irrelevant! Moreover, the technical department wouldn't mail my old computer to the refund department! How dumb is this! Accordingly, I guess I can't complain, I am getting a new system, assuming that it works correctly.

Bottom line: Don't buy a Dell Alienware computer. They don't honor their warranties. Their quality control is problematic, and they cut corners in the manufacturing process. You also will always get a foreigner who handles customer service despite my having "premium customer service". If you are a hardcore gamer or need great graphic intensive software, stick with either Origin computers or Digital Storm or some other brand. Stay away from Alienware.

Original review: May 19, 2017

I waited 13 days to get it when on your website of alienware.ca says 3-7 days shipping. The day finally arrived and I got my Aurora R6 but unfortunately it came with a broken liquid cooling system. After 7 days of talking to Alienware tech representatives they came to the conclusion that a technician was needed to install the new part. I happily agreed because I thought my problem was going to be fixed. The next day I was contacted by a representative who stated that there will be a delay of the technician coming because the part was unavailable because it was on back order. A computer building company that has parts on back order. Are you ** kidding me? That is literally the worst contradiction of company values and beliefs and mission statements.

You are a computer building company meaning parts should be available to you at a wide variety. But I forgot all along that Alienware was bought out by Dell which made it a totally worthless company. I was fortunate enough to be able to return this piece of ** tower and get my money back. Thank you Alienware and Dell for not keeping me as a customer, not going above and beyond to keep me or provide an alternative to the solution that you built me and shipped a broken computer. Thank you Alienware for ruining my computer gaming experience but at the same time I would like to thank you for giving me the opportunity to own a Alienware computer for once even though it was a short 8 days. They were certainly sweet. Now heading over to Razer so that they can build me a quiet machine. Hahaha.

Alienware expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Alienware was founded in 1996 as Sakai of Miami, Inc. and adopted the name of Alienware in 1997. Alienware became a subsidiary of Dell in 2006. Alienware manufactures and distributes high-performance computers built for gaming.

• Alienware Aurora: The Alienware Aurora is its smallest mid tower gaming desktop PC. These machines are built with expandability and easy access in mind. Consumers can choose from different hardware tiers, including systems that are VR ready.

• Alienware Area 51: Alienware’s iconic Area 51 line of performance PCs can be customized to fit any gaming needs. Its triangular design has become a hallmark of the brand, and consumers can choose the features and upgrades they want.

• Alienware Laptops: The Alienware 13-, 15- and 17-inch laptops provide high-power gaming hardware in a portable laptop.

• Alienware gaming consoles: The Alienware Alpha is a mini gaming PC that is built to function as a compact gaming console. The Alienware Steam Machine is a gaming console that runs on Valve’s SteamOS, an operating system dedicated to gaming applications.

• Best for: Alienware is best for gamers who want a desktop or laptop built for power.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs