Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.49/5

Alienware Reviews

Original review: April 27, 2020

Purchase new R8 Alienware PC for $2500. From the get go had problems with internet connections. Constant exchange of emails with tech support with no resolve. Then when PC was not fixed Dell informed me that the 30 warranty had expired. I asked in the beginning to return the PC but they did not want to discuss. Seems they were waiting for 30 days to pass. Never had any troubles in the past with HP or Dell but the R8 is a bummer. Stay away from it.

Original review: April 23, 2020

I would not recommend this horrible desktop to anyone. I am on my third Alienware and I will never spend another penny on this garbage line. Almost everything that could go wrong is going wrong with it. Bluetooth sucks... It pauses on me about 20-30 times per day. I contacted dell support and they did everything under the sun to fix it... It was good for about a week and its now again giving me problems. I have very little on this computer and use it for sales and internet browsing (basic usage). I get overkill computers so that I don't have to change them every 2 years and I like the over the top display options gaming computers provide. If you want to avoid a headache DO NOT BUY THIS HORRIBLE PRODUCT.

Get buying tips about Computer Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 8, 2020

Horrible defective poorly made product, disgusting company. Let me preface this by saying that I have always been a Alienware fanboy and always wanted a top-end Alienware laptop since I was kid. Last year my girlfriend and I purchased a Alienware M17 laptop together instead of a MacBook Pro, which turned out to the be the worst decision I have ever made. We purchased the laptop 13 months ago, and infrequently used it for basic stuff like emailing and web surfing, and VR (used VR a total of 6 times). Now 1 month after the warranty ended the GPU went belly up and died, NVIDIA Code Error 43: Windows stopped this device because it has problem.

This seems to be a software issue at first, probably driver related. But after installing the latest drivers from NVIDIA, it still showed the same error. Then I tried installing a previous version, still same error. I tried uninstall the device/drivers and reinstalling, still same error. Then I did some searching and found a vast amount of people like me with this same exact problem. Ex: **.

I am currently working full-time as a full-stack software engineer and has previously worked as the category manager for the laptop division at Newegg, so I am not completely technically illiterate, and I think know exactly what's wrong in this particular instance (faulty GPU). To confirm, I talked with the Dell service team and out-of-warranty support team and they told me it's going to be $400-500 for the fix.

So let me get this straight, I have to pay out of pocket $500 to MAYBE (it could be the connection) to replace a GPU card that you can buy $200 brand new. Does dell treat all their customers like they're complete morons? Does dell think that I'm a **? Anyway, there's not much I can do about this other than tell this story to anyone that will ever buy anything computer related and make sure they never buy anything from dell, and maybe submit a consumer complaint to FTC, and anything else I can think of to stop another victim from falling prey to dell.

It is very disappointing, you guys have really let down your customers, and trashed the Alienware brand name with turd laptops that you guys ineptly put together, made to break within a year or two. What's worse is that when I bought this laptop my tech savvy friends laughed at me for choosing dell, little did I know how right they were. Lastly, why does no one tests your products before you release it? So known problems like this wouldn't happen? Because you not only lose a customer for life, you've also made an enemy out of a once fanboy.

(I contacted Dell Cares and they gave me a scripted response) - "I understand you’re looking for assistance with your Dell. As this support channel is currently only for products with an active warranty, unfortunately, I wouldn't be able to assist you further. Therefore, I’d like you to contact our experts in the out-of-warranty team and they would surely be able to look into this and help you accordingly." WHY BUILD $2000+ LAPTOPS THAT IS MADE TO BREAK IN A YEAR?!?!

Original review: March 17, 2020

I have never had a computer with so many issues. I wanted computer with graphic ability. I've had it for 3 months. Checked for virus, shows everything runs good. But it locks up opening programs. I have had it fixed once and it still doesn't run right. I will never buy an Alienware again.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2020

Screen failed seven months in...purchased the Premium Service package...but Dell/Alienware is not responsive at all. Initial engagement on screen was 11 Feb, with eight follow on calls, multiple emails, I was told be Dell that the new screen would be available 11 May 2020. I was stunned, this is the premium support package? I complied with requests to take pictures of the machine (before the screen failed completely)...I provided the information via MS Office products but Dell service staff said they could not open.

In the end, after a week, the Dell team told me that my responses were not acceptable as they were not hand written...They returned not one call; they have no plan to replace my machine or the part...I feel really bad I spent this much money and essentially have nothing. Live and learn. I bought an HP so I at least have functioning machine to file this report on! Buyer beware! Alienware might have been good at some point, with great service, but not now... FWIW< screen failure began as washed out colors, ghosting of closed images and windows and finally, mercifully, nothing. Will Dell follow up to any of my inquiries? I am equally devoid of hope and fear. Good luck.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Alienware?

Original review: Feb. 10, 2020

Had an old Alienware machine and I was 5 days from running out of warranty when water fried it. Lucky I bought the extra Accident coverage so they took it in fixed it and cleaned it up super nice leaving it looking new! It was fast, to the point, and they didn't try to blame me or say, "Oh you broke it on purpose" or anything. I've never had problems with their tech support so long as you have warranty. I'll be buying another laptop when the new RTX 30 series cards are out and I'm gonna be looking Alienware/Dell again.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2020

Purchased “gaming” laptop Oct. 2018. By June 2019 the audio went out. Purchased “premium” warranty so tech was sent to my home. 5 DAYS LATER. Tech was unable to repair. Unit picked up by Dell and returned 7 DAYS LATER. Motherboard replaced. 2 months after that the keyboard had to be repaired. 3 months later, MOTHERBOARD CRAPS OUT. I am a 57 year old that games about 5 HOURS A WEEK. This product that cost north of $3000 dollars is a HUGE disappointment. Explanation from Dell, “electronics fail, that’s why we offer warranties”. Would have been wiser to spend a third of the price at Walmart then I wouldn’t be so pissed off. STAY CLEAR OF THIS PRODUCT!!!!

Original review: Jan. 17, 2020

They sold me a defective product and after applying all the fixes they asked me to the machine still doesn't work properly. The windows updates are not being installed. Therefore if somebody is interested in starting a class action lawsuit against DELL regarding the ALIENWARE PRODUCTS please reach out to me so we can gather evidence.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2020

Purchased an Alienware laptop on Black Friday 2019 and was please with the good pricing Dell offered. Received the laptop before Christmas and all looked to be going well. Upon starting up the computer, it immediately gave the "blue screen of death" and would cycle through different error. I ran Dell's diagnostic program and it was discovered that the motherboard was fried. Dell quickly scheduled for a technician to arrive to replace the motherboard onsite. I was pleased with the process and how quickly Dell reacted to the problem.

Technician arrived two days later and replaced the motherboard but it did not fix the problem. Dell tells me that the mother and daughter boards are fried and the parts are a month out. Rather than wait a month, Dell offers to exchange the laptop for the same or better with everything being expedited. I agree. Knowing that the laptop I ordered was somewhat customized and not a part of their typical offering, I figured that Dell would bump up the specs to a mildly better laptop so that it could ship immediately. Not the case! I'm now waiting for Dell to rebuild the exact specification that I originally ordered. This entire process has been a month. I'm now getting billed to begin making payments for a computer that has never been used. I'm less than pleased.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2019

Dell customer is the worst I’ve ever dealt with! Products are expensive, but okay if you can get it delivered and never have an issue requiring help! Trust me and save yourself the headache and buy from someone else!

Alienware author review by ConsumerAffairs

Alienware was founded in 1996 as Sakai of Miami, Inc. and adopted the name of Alienware in 1997. Alienware became a subsidiary of Dell in 2006. Alienware manufactures and distributes high-performance computers built for gaming.

• Alienware Aurora: The Alienware Aurora is its smallest mid tower gaming desktop PC. These machines are built with expandability and easy access in mind. Consumers can choose from different hardware tiers, including systems that are VR ready.

• Alienware Area 51: Alienware’s iconic Area 51 line of performance PCs can be customized to fit any gaming needs. Its triangular design has become a hallmark of the brand, and consumers can choose the features and upgrades they want.

• Alienware Laptops: The Alienware 13-, 15- and 17-inch laptops provide high-power gaming hardware in a portable laptop.

• Alienware gaming consoles: The Alienware Alpha is a mini gaming PC that is built to function as a compact gaming console. The Alienware Steam Machine is a gaming console that runs on Valve’s SteamOS, an operating system dedicated to gaming applications.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team