Shop on Amazon
Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.48/5

Alienware Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Alienware?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Alienware?

Original review: Dec. 14, 2020

Owning an Alienware 15 R4. During my one year of experience with this Alienware purchase, there could be one word to describe. Torment. Let's start by discussing what is wrong with the device itself. The ergonomic of the laptop is so poorly designed that hours of gaming with it can leave you bloody taints on your arm, when your left hand is doing the wasd control. I had to cushion my laptop just to prevent the laptop from cutting me open. This is ridiculous.

Alienware command center software not compatible with windows update. Soon it becomes impossible to update the AWCC (said software) which controls the lights and thermal profiles and more. If you want to spend countless hours following online tutorial fixing something that should be done by the developer, this is your laptop.

RGB lights are down. This is a hardware issue but the customer support from Alienware will refuse to cash out their warranty by keep asking you to do more testing, and force a reinstallation of windows on your PC that will destroy all your data. If you don't do it, then they will not continue to help. All in all, they don't accept you to send your PC to factory for repair. If you like spend tens of hours fixing your own laptop so that it would do what it should, buy this.

The gaming performance with gtx1060 is very poor. Either this GPU on laptop is a shrinked version of the complete gtx1060 or it is simply defective. I play warzone. On the lowest setting, you can run 60 fps. But during gunfight, it WILL drop to 40. How does Alienware treats customer? For one year all my emails to them went ignored. But calling them will work. Do not email them. Their customer support is friendly but is a waste of time because their company only allows them to help user to fix the problem. When they won't fix my problem, they asked me, do you want to buy more warranty. I didn't want to. So they dropped my case. And it was the end of that.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2020

Call your credit card company... Dispute the charges... Alienware is the worst Company ever, and the CC companies know it. My credit card company said you could only dispute 6 months back...when I told them it was Alienware they said no problem disputing 8 months back. Alienware is the worst.

Get buying tips about Computer Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 24, 2020

I ordered this in late February. Understanding Covid might be an issue, I expected to wait a little longer. They said it would ship in 4 weeks. 4 weeks came and went. 4 more weeks came and went. Finally, shipped in 12 weeks. The Alienware machine is sleek, I give them that. And screams. I had to install my own SSD M.2 drive. They wanted $800 for a drive I bought for $279. I can't access BIOS to change boot. Called customer support twice. They didn't pick me up. On hold after 22 minutes first time. Waited 15 minutes to get "press the F2 key during boot" on the second call. Told them that doesn't work. No answer for that. Tried Alt, Del, F12. They don't work. Even with M.2 SSD drive machine takes 2-4 minutes to boot. I I hadn't given away my old (7 years old home brew) machine away I would just send this back. Dell is terrible. Alienware is over-hyped and overpriced. Nothing good about this machine.

Original review: June 19, 2020

I've had an Alienware computer for 5 years now. While it is technically obsolete in technological terms, I haven't experienced any lags in performance. I am as happy with it today as I was the day it was new. It's been so nice to have a computer I can rely on during the COVID-19 situation as so much of our lives is online.

Original review: June 7, 2020

The computer hangs for 10-15 seconds, then resumes. The Alienware Command Center and OC controls are proprietary software for Dell and break all the time. When this happens you cannot set the Over Clock Settings or fan speed or lights on the system. All tech support had to tell me was "re-install windows.". Even when I restored the software to return it the Alienware command center or OC controls did not work.

Original review: June 5, 2020

I purchased this Alienware m15 laptop for 3k brand new from DELL. Has pretty much all top end specs. I purchased this specifically for WOW Classic, many told me this laptop is overkill... not the case at all. The laptop overheats when playing WOW, so much that the keyboard keys are too hot. The panel above the keys near the power button, gets extremely hot, enough to burn your fingers if you pressed on it, the bottom is even worse. Frames in wow is terrible, be lucky to get 80 frames. I have an I.T. background, from service desk all the way to Software development, I know these laptop components are much smaller than your desktop ones, it is why it's overheating.

I wanted a refund and to buy a desktop. I called DELL, they put me through all of the hoops, with all the basic stuff that I have already done due my vast I.T. experience, including updating BIOS, updating all drivers etc etc etc. I only had the laptop for 2 months and DELL still refused to refund me. Fair trading couldn't help me. I now had to purchase, one of those flat fan devices which you can put in between the laptop and the table, it has 5 computer fans inside to assist with cooling the laptop from underneath. Wasted 3k on this and DELL Australia will not refund you. Do yourself a favour, buy a desktop, you can't go wrong with bigger components with better cooling. WOW Classic is a 15 year old game, I had the graphic settings at 3 (vanilla graphics) and it still overheats. Worst laptop ever, don't waste your money.

Original review: April 27, 2020

Purchase new R8 Alienware PC for $2500. From the get go had problems with internet connections. Constant exchange of emails with tech support with no resolve. Then when PC was not fixed Dell informed me that the 30 warranty had expired. I asked in the beginning to return the PC but they did not want to discuss. Seems they were waiting for 30 days to pass. Never had any troubles in the past with HP or Dell but the R8 is a bummer. Stay away from it.

Original review: April 23, 2020

I would not recommend this horrible desktop to anyone. I am on my third Alienware and I will never spend another penny on this garbage line. Almost everything that could go wrong is going wrong with it. Bluetooth sucks... It pauses on me about 20-30 times per day. I contacted dell support and they did everything under the sun to fix it... It was good for about a week and its now again giving me problems. I have very little on this computer and use it for sales and internet browsing (basic usage). I get overkill computers so that I don't have to change them every 2 years and I like the over the top display options gaming computers provide. If you want to avoid a headache DO NOT BUY THIS HORRIBLE PRODUCT.

Original review: April 8, 2020

Horrible defective poorly made product, disgusting company. Let me preface this by saying that I have always been a Alienware fanboy and always wanted a top-end Alienware laptop since I was kid. Last year my girlfriend and I purchased a Alienware M17 laptop together instead of a MacBook Pro, which turned out to the be the worst decision I have ever made. We purchased the laptop 13 months ago, and infrequently used it for basic stuff like emailing and web surfing, and VR (used VR a total of 6 times). Now 1 month after the warranty ended the GPU went belly up and died, NVIDIA Code Error 43: Windows stopped this device because it has problem.

This seems to be a software issue at first, probably driver related. But after installing the latest drivers from NVIDIA, it still showed the same error. Then I tried installing a previous version, still same error. I tried uninstall the device/drivers and reinstalling, still same error. Then I did some searching and found a vast amount of people like me with this same exact problem. Ex: **.

I am currently working full-time as a full-stack software engineer and has previously worked as the category manager for the laptop division at Newegg, so I am not completely technically illiterate, and I think know exactly what's wrong in this particular instance (faulty GPU). To confirm, I talked with the Dell service team and out-of-warranty support team and they told me it's going to be $400-500 for the fix.

So let me get this straight, I have to pay out of pocket $500 to MAYBE (it could be the connection) to replace a GPU card that you can buy $200 brand new. Does dell treat all their customers like they're complete morons? Does dell think that I'm a **? Anyway, there's not much I can do about this other than tell this story to anyone that will ever buy anything computer related and make sure they never buy anything from dell, and maybe submit a consumer complaint to FTC, and anything else I can think of to stop another victim from falling prey to dell.

It is very disappointing, you guys have really let down your customers, and trashed the Alienware brand name with turd laptops that you guys ineptly put together, made to break within a year or two. What's worse is that when I bought this laptop my tech savvy friends laughed at me for choosing dell, little did I know how right they were. Lastly, why does no one tests your products before you release it? So known problems like this wouldn't happen? Because you not only lose a customer for life, you've also made an enemy out of a once fanboy.

(I contacted Dell Cares and they gave me a scripted response) - "I understand you’re looking for assistance with your Dell. As this support channel is currently only for products with an active warranty, unfortunately, I wouldn't be able to assist you further. Therefore, I’d like you to contact our experts in the out-of-warranty team and they would surely be able to look into this and help you accordingly." WHY BUILD $2000+ LAPTOPS THAT IS MADE TO BREAK IN A YEAR?!?!

Original review: March 17, 2020

I have never had a computer with so many issues. I wanted computer with graphic ability. I've had it for 3 months. Checked for virus, shows everything runs good. But it locks up opening programs. I have had it fixed once and it still doesn't run right. I will never buy an Alienware again.

Alienware author review by ConsumerAffairs

Alienware was founded in 1996 as Sakai of Miami, Inc. and adopted the name of Alienware in 1997. Alienware became a subsidiary of Dell in 2006. Alienware manufactures and distributes high-performance computers built for gaming.

• Alienware Aurora: The Alienware Aurora is its smallest mid tower gaming desktop PC. These machines are built with expandability and easy access in mind. Consumers can choose from different hardware tiers, including systems that are VR ready.

• Alienware Area 51: Alienware’s iconic Area 51 line of performance PCs can be customized to fit any gaming needs. Its triangular design has become a hallmark of the brand, and consumers can choose the features and upgrades they want.

• Alienware Laptops: The Alienware 13-, 15- and 17-inch laptops provide high-power gaming hardware in a portable laptop.

• Alienware gaming consoles: The Alienware Alpha is a mini gaming PC that is built to function as a compact gaming console. The Alienware Steam Machine is a gaming console that runs on Valve’s SteamOS, an operating system dedicated to gaming applications.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team