Shop Now
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.22/5

Acer Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Acer?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Acer?

Original review: June 19, 2020

My Acer Netbook has been a lifesaver. I’ve had it for over 10/ years and it hardly gave me any trouble. If I had a question I would email or call and get fast responses. It’s lightweight and very easy to take places. When I 1st got it I took it to Hawaii with me on the cruise ship. I had no issues with it and was able to hook up the Ethernet Cable to the ship right away. This was a definite plus for travel I’ve also used it on the plane it doesn’t take much space

Original review: June 12, 2020

When I was looking for a new computer I looked at several different brands. Having an Acer laptop with which I am very satisfied with it made my decision very easy. The price was $100.00 less than a comparable make. It has a bigger hard drive and a faster processor and had more USB ports. As I am not a gamer the graphics are all that I need. It has been a very reliable computer and would not hesitate to purchase another one.

Get buying tips about Computer Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 11, 2020

This Acer laptop has served me well for almost two years. I am not thrilled with Windows 10, and I miss Windows 7 and XP. I have very few problems with surfing the internet, mostly due to poor reception up here on the mountain. The biggest problem is finding out how to do things that I did quite easily with previous editions of Windows. For example, I found the control panel once by looking through every program in the list, but I couldn't find it again, so I had to do a search with search terms and then pin it to the whatever they call that big square next to the list of programs, so I could find it again.

Original review: June 6, 2020

I have owned a Acer for 2 or more years. My job requires me to move around a bit and usually my car is packed. I am always moving around my things as the fall and dragging from location to location. Basically I am very hard on my items extremely hard on my things. This laptop has remained intact and is always charged. It seems to prevail and take a good thrashing. Very happy I have never damaged it and it is still fast and solid. Happy to be a owner.

Original review: April 24, 2020

I recently got a gaming laptop for the COVID-19 Lockdown and so I can work from home. This system has great specs for the price. I paid $680 for a laptop that has the same specs that other brands charge $1100-$1500 for. I have played all the latest AAA games on this laptop at the highest settings and it runs perfectly. Another great feature is the upgrade options. There are 2 slots for SSD, 1 SATA and it maxes out at 32 gb of ram. Currently there is 1 SSD installed, you could have 2 2tb SDD and a 3tb SATA drive with 32 gb of RAM. Can you imagine that much space on a laptop?!

Original review: Oct. 22, 2020

I bought this computer 6 days ago and I'm dissatisfied. The computer will put up pop ups while trying to open anything. I could not recommend the Acer computer to anyone. It's a product I'm going to return this computer. Do not buy.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2020

I purchased a laptop from this company during a promotion. The promotion was acknowledged and accepted and I was told I would receive the extras from the promotions within 3 months. Almost 12 months on the extras have never arrived and Acer won't acknowledge it and pass the blame onto predator who ignore all emails. All cases sent to them get closed without resolving the issue. Never buy anything from this company as the customer service is dreadful and you will regret it.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2020

I bought an Acer Nitro 5 and less than four months later a button falls off. Acer would not replace the computer and instead said my only option was to send it in for a repair. This process would take 20 to 30 days. I explained I would be without the ability for homeschooling and asked if they had another option. The answer was no. They sent me a shipping label and said I needed to provide the box for shipping. I was very upset with their service and demanded that they at least supply me the box needed to ship the laptop safely. I had to wait for the tech support department to discuss with supervisors and the answer is they do not provide the shipping box. This product is poor workmanship and the company has low rate customer service. There should be a disclaimer on the box indicating that you need to keep the box for when your machine breaks so you can ship it to the company for repair.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2020

The 29th of June 2020, I report a damage to my insurance, since my Acer laptop screen literally is falling apart (the exact same thing has happened to my sister, who also owns an Acer laptop). They open an insurance case, and I’m very honest: I only use my laptop at home, which means that I don’t really transport it around, but that I’ve accidentally bumped it against the wall once - and that I’m unsure whether that’s the reason for the sudden damage.

My laptop is sent to Acer’s workshop in Germany the next day - and, thus, the circus commenced. I receive no information about my laptop. After almost 3 weeks without hearing from them, I call them to explain that I’ve only been given 30 days by my insurance to finish the repair, meaning: if it takes longer, I’ll have to know, in order to contact them and explain the situation. The employee, who I’m speaking with, tells me that he doesn’t really know anything about it, but that he’ll call the workshop and get back to me later.

Between 6.00-6.30 in the evening, while I’m at a café with a friend, he calls me back, telling me that he has spoken with the workshop and that they’re waiting on spare parts to arrive. They have, furthermore, assessed that my case was that of a defect - meaning that they had evaluated the damage to be not my doing. He then explains that I can go ahead and close the insurance case, since it seems as a manufacturing defect in the screen, and since I’ve sent it to get repaired so fast, rather than use a damaged screen. I get extremely happy and relieved - and I send an e-mail to my insurance company right away. Although, in hindsight, it’s very stupid of me to not ask him to send me all the new information in writing, so that I, besides having the phone call saved in my log, have proof of what was said during the conversation.

Another 2 weeks pass, and I don’t hear anything from them. I call Acer support once more, and this time I reach an older woman (I’ve spoken to the same two people every time, which means that I don’t have to mention any names, since it seems that there haven’t been more than two employees in the office during the corona-crisis). I explain to her that I haven’t heard anything from them yet and that a very long time has passed, which I don’t appreciate, since I use my laptop for many things during the day. I express my concerns: I’m worried it has something to do with the fact that my insurance case was closed. She says no and that it says that they’re still waiting on spare parts. She promises me to call me back, which she never does.

One week later, I call once more, and the same woman picks up. She apologises and explains that status remains the same: they’re still waiting for the spare parts. I tell her that that’s not okay - it’s been too long now! She promises me to look into it and get back to me. I receive a mail, which says that I have two possibilities: either wait for the laptop to be repaired or receive credit, due to the long waiting. My husband calls them and reaches the male employee, since he wants to know what the credit is. I’m desperate enough to accept the credit and go out and buy a new laptop (never again an Acer, I’ve sworn!). The employee knows nothing, as usual, so he promises to call us back, when he has more information. The following day, I receive an e-mail, which states that the spare parts have been received and that the repair will begin shortly. The possibility of credit is, thus, ruled out.

More than a week passes before I hear from Acer again: an estimation on around 1,400 DKK. My patience has run thin. I call them straight away (the same male answering), and I’m so angry: how could they claim that it was a defect when that was clearly a lie? I have to cover the expenses myself now. He explains to me (and makes me feel like a liar during the process) that it’s impossible for them to know whether something is a defect or not, and that it’s impossible for me to have received such information, although he was the one who had told me himself (which he didn’t admit), since they’re not allowed to give such promises to their customers. I ask him why on earth I would cancel my insurance case without certainty? Surely not for fun? He calls it a communication error.

I give him the dates of the phone calls and the time as well, and he claims to write it all down. He tells me that he will pass the information on to the support base, who would investigate - but I know, based on his tone, what the outcome will be. Although I’ve agreed to being recorded during the phone calls, and although I had the dates and times of said conversations written down, it wouldn’t be enough. I should have asked him to send me the assurance in writing, before closing the insurance case, which I can only blame myself for. (The day after, I received a message from Acer saying that the investigation had led nowhere and that the case was closed, since it had been deemed a misunderstanding and my own fault.) I feel like a fool, when I hang up.

I call my insurance company (USG), who are extremely nice and understanding. They reopen my case and ask me to accept the estimation on the repair. Everything gets paid (and I receive the money from my insurance), but yet another week passes before my laptop is repaired. It is now the 28th of August 2020, and I have finally received my laptop. After two months. Such unprofessional behaviour and lack of information is unrivaled and in a class of its own. I have simply never seen anything like it before. How can a huge company only have an office (which is supposed to be able to answer ALL questions related to Acer) with two employees, who both seem unprepared and ignorant? Resulting in lies and unkept promises. How can a screen repair take two months? How is it even possible to offer such little information to one's customers?

I’m done with Acer. Learn from me: ALWAYS ask for everything in writing. I had to learn the hard way, apparently. These big companies don’t care. Their employees are capable of saying anything, and although they claim to record all the conversations, in where all the correct information can be found, it doesn’t really matter. All you get is stress and a stomach ache. No thanks!

Original review: Aug. 22, 2020

I actually Bought my laptop from Amazon through shop and ship Aramex service and what suppose to be international warranty on all Acer laptops came out nonsense, Acer MEA pushed me to Acer USA and vice versa!!, It's very frustrating and annoying to discover that what you thought about to have from an Acer gaming laptop turned out many defective devices. My device manage 6 main drivers are labelled with no drivers installed including Intel thermal, also SM bus controller is not starting and when it start I2c controller stop working and many other problems from battery did not live a year span. Do you guys believe that Acer don't have hardware diagnostic tool?

In Acer Forum they advise to use Acer Care Center which I removed it cause is useless, it did not give any update in a year and all drivers also are outdated and they instruct to use Microsoft as reference to update drivers! I paid money to get the service from Acer and not from Microsoft. I am writing this review just to share my opinion and to tell you that despite the big name Acer has, they don't issue any drivers updates and they don't have any utility or tool, I bought my Laptop less than a year ago thinking that Acer is from the top manufacturer of electronics to discover that I was wrong!!

Acer author review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 1976, Acer is a communication and information technology company that has become one of the leading manufacturers of laptops, Chromebooks and PCs.

• Desktop options: Acer’s desktop computers contain the space-saving Aspire X, the customizable Aspire T, the Predator G gaming computer, the Aspire Z all-in-one computer and numerous other models.

• Chromebook options: Acer offers numerous Chromebook laptops as well as the Acer Chromebox, a desktop Chrome base that is compact and portable.

• Notebook options: Acer notebook options include the ultra-thin Swift line, the convertible Spin laptops, the Switch line that combines a tablet with a snap-on keyboard and the Predator gaming line.

• Tablet options: Acer’s Iconia tablet computers range from the basic Iconia Tab 8 model for casual use to the more entertainment-focused Iconia Tab 10.

• Revo Build: Acer’s Revo Build computer is a PC build from stackable modules. Each part, from its basic motherboard to its data storage hard drive can be stacked in any modular order through magnetic connectors, so consumers can customize the PCs they want with ease.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team