3.53/5

1057 Acer Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 7, 2019

I bought a brand new Acer monitor off Amazon about 4 months ago. In the last couple days it has started flickering on and off more and more. Now it is basically unusable. The return period for Amazon is over. ACER SHOULDN'T EVEN BE ALLOWED TO SELL COMPUTER PRODUCTS. I have an Acer laptop also and it's not very good either, but at least it still works sort of, this monitor is a worthless brick. I'm gonna have to drive over to the electronic waste recyclers now. Great. If Acer was a person they should get life in prison and possibly the death penalty for selling so much ** to so many people, it's practically fraud.

Original review: April 4, 2019

I would like to say in short excellent! I have a son with extreme nonverbal autism, he has no control at times over his behaviors-breakdowns-meltdown and strength, he has been through DEMOLISHED several cell phone, tablets, laptops and desktops! 3 years now and though it is literally hanging onto its monitor portion connected to the keyboard by a wire or two, it work PERFECT! THANK YOU ACER!

Get expert buying tips about Computer Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 1, 2019

Save your money, please. If you gather nothing else from this post, stay away from ACER! I was gifted a laptop for Christmas 2018, and that laptop is a touchscreen. I had never had one before and was excited! Frilet's ffwd 4 months of use and normal use might I add... The screen cracked where you open the lid/top of the laptop and that crack then spidered out. My touchscreen is now disabled and useless.

It is under warranty for 279 more days, and they told us that they DO NOT repair ANY physical damage to the laptop. But this is obviously a huge flaw in their materials if it can crack from me opening it or I am secretly the hulk... They charge 500.00 to replace the screen. Again, 500.00 to replace it. That far exceeds the laptop cost and it should be covered because it shouldn't crack when I open it. :/ Anyways, I have a broken laptop and a terrible company that refuses to do anything about it. BEWARE of Acer. I know that I will NEVER again in my life buy another one. They are ruined in my eyes for the way they are treating us.

Original review: March 23, 2019

Bought an Acer Aspire 3 laptop based on Acer’s good reputation & husband’s good experience with Acer Chromebook. The touchpad and keyboard get “stuck” and work inconsistently. Tried to return the laptop after 16 days and Acer wouldn’t provide information to me on how to return the unit (despite being evacuated from my home for 3 of those 16 days due to natural gas disaster). I emailed the CEO, CFO and Marketing Director in LA within the week And got no response. Husband also declared the laptop to be useless. Save your money and don’t buy an Acer laptop.

Original review: March 13, 2019

Our computer crashed within months of purchase. After being on support for hours and unable to fix the issue they ask that you ship the computer back to them. The company has no way of repairing it onsite nor do they have local certified repair places. Since I no longer had the original box I was perplexed on how to ship it to them. They assured me that this is the only way to fix the issue so I packaged it as instructed. Lo and behold, the computer was damaged in shipping and they made us pay hundreds of dollars for the damage incurred during shipping! I would never buy another computer from them again. I’ve spent hours on the phone and have had to pay our IT guy to come set up our network twice more which cost hundreds more. Do yourselves a favor and spend a little more for a reputable company.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Acer?

Original review: March 8, 2019

I am a graphic designer, and I purchased this expensive ACER PH315-51-72DU for work. Despite the laptop was new, and I haven't yet installed any software on it, apart from a browser, it started giving me blue screen, informing there is some problem with the graphic card. I only bought this laptop because of its graphic card which supposed to be good, and I was extremely disappointed with the brand. The customer service told me there's no way I can get a refund, and that the only way to deal with the problem is to sent the faulty product to them, so that they can fix it.

I did, and in some days I got the laptop back. In a couple of hours later after I turned it on, it showed me the same blue screen with the same error on it! It was all documented, I managed to take a picture on my phone, and sent it to them along with the time it exactly happened. After I was told to send the laptop to their facilities again, and I did. This time I informed them I don't want this product whether it will be fixed or not, all I want is refund.

It's been a week since then, and they were ignoring my requests, until yesterday I received a message on my mobile phone, informing me that my laptop would be returned to me today. I immediately contacted the customer service supervisor I was dealing with, but she replied they have checked the product, and didn't discover any problems, so the item will be returned to me. Since the communication with their support seems to be useless (I am in Portugal, and I believe I was dealing with Ibérica support), I managed to contact their Asian department.

I informed them, that I would reject the parcel, and I want a refund. They promised me to redirect the case somewhere. So at this point I spent 1200 euros (more than 1300 usd) on a low quality product, which was faulty out of the box, and their support is not able to resolve this problem. They refuse to give me my money back either. I will reject the parcel, and let's see what happens next. If I won't get my money back, I am going to sue the company.

Original review: March 3, 2019

I have had repeated problems with not being able to boot my laptop. This last time I had to call to have my laptop shipped back for service, at my expense, taking over 2 weeks to complete. Service person talks to me like I am causing the problem. If you are going to sell crap products, the least you could do is instruct your call center people to not be rude to the customers. Dominican Republic accent was difficult to understand. I have never owned a laptop with so many issues, and I won't again, because I will never buy an ACER product again!

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

So basically I had an Acer for years that I got in 2005 and still hasn't kicked the bucket (though is extremely slow now obviously). I decided to upgrade my work/school computer (I'm a grad student) and got an Acer Nitro 5 brand new a couple months ago. If it is unplugged for even a second it shuts down. Now I have to spend more money shipping it back to be repaired, and I'll be without a computer to work with at my office for up to a month because they apparently have no quality control anymore. This is a very common and known about problem that they have no intention of fixing. I would recommend buying any brand besides Acer.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

I have been involved in computers for more than 30 years, before the internet was invented. In the past 7 years I have had two ACER products, a all-in-one Aspire which had a premature death and now a laptop Aspire. The problem with the current one only 7 months old, is the dreaded BS OR BSOD. I have done the usual checks such as uninstalling Windows updates and third party apps etc, without success, reset computer, kept files, and finally restored to factory settings. It is running Windows 10 Pro and have determined that it is not a Microsoft issue, but a ACER hardware problem, most likely a motherboard fault. It is still under ACER warranty, so back to Harvey Norman Australia the retailer to either fix or replace. It about as reliable as a ashtray on a motorbike and ACER have a lot of ground to make up to seriously challenge other quality manufacturers.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

Be warned, I have made the mistake of purchasing two laptops from these shysters 575g and the 576g. The first, the motherboard died a week after warranties end (1 year). I took it in to my local repair guy, and he couldn't find parts/motherboard for it, so it's now my parts laptop. The second, which is still ongoing, as of this moment, I sent in for repair (dedicated GPU quit 6 months from brand new), and they claim "water damage" to avoid the repair, and there has never been any water on, or, in the laptop, period. I would classify this as being ripped off.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

I regret buying an Acer laptop. Should have invested my hard earned money elsewhere. This Expensive laptop ($500+) that I bought turned completely dead within 2 months. Never have I ever had this problem with any other laptops. This was my worst experience. I will SUE ACER!

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

To all that wish to have a light-weight laptop that they can carry along on trips to complete documents, spreadsheets, or just use for a study machine, reading pdf files. I would not take this laptop at all. It peaks out at 100% just to open up Google Chrome with Disk and CPU. I think that the laptop is only good for opening the lid and looking at the pretty pictures that Microsoft set as the screensavers. I cannot even give the laptop to my youngest child to play Candy Crush on, as the CPU peaks out at 100% again. Who knew that this laptop would even be for sale. The Intel Celeron Processor N3350 should be taken outside or for a long walk and never come back. Do not purchase if you value even the little of cost, just to have a laptop!

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

Brand new computer... freezes, locks up while doing updates. Makes a loud noise. Acer cloud base or whatever is no longer available. So I get this stupid message all the time. Yeah, I GOT IT. Google one drive and Acer has a problem. That also makes it lock up, freeze... definitely should bought an HP.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

My Acer Chromebook wouldn't turn on. I called customer service. The representative talked me through several steps that didn't resolve the issue, so she instructed me (via an email) to mail it in and they will fix it and send it back to me. No other hassle or fuss. Great! I will recommend Acer based on customer service alone. Not every company stands behind its product. Well done, Acer!

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

It's been more than two months and they haven't fixed the problem while they charged on the same day of commitment and they still have not repaired my laptop. A really bad customer service and service centres you provide to repair the Acer laptops.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2019

If you want to throw 600$ in the garbage for a laptop that will last 1.5 yr, purchase an Acer. The laptop I bought 1.5 yr ago is totally done. The computer guy I saw today said he could only save the screen & the battery, the rest is crap and most of it is made of plastic. They don't even sell Acer in their store because it is too crappy. I got a HP at a low price & good quality. I got my lesson. I am not going to purchase a laptop every 2 years. I don't have this type of income.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

I purchased a Acer Nitro in November 2017 on sale from Costco. Through normal wear and tear, without a single drop, the monitor frame at the left hinge began to split open in October 2018. It wasn't too bad, so I just managed it until it steadily got worse and worse with time. I applied some super glue to make it more manageable, but it didn't hold. I figured, hey, this is probably minor, one-off manufacturing defect that Acer will surely fix for me. Upon calling Acer, I was told because I hadn't called within the 1 year timeframe, they would not cover and instead attempt to charge $440 to repair. The laptop cost $600. They, in effect, said, "Sorry we sold you a ** product, but it's your problem now." I will never, ever purchase another Acer product again and will certainly not get it repaired with them. I'll just suffer through using this broken POS until I can afford a new laptop and let as many people know as possible to avoid Acer.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

This pos monitor isn't connecting with DVI cable but I'd have to pay the price of this monitor ($100) to get them to help me connect it to my stupid computer. NEVER in my life have I heard of having to pay crap loads of money to get their device to actually do what it says it'll do. ** service. ** company. I will actively avoid their products because of their crap customer service now.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2018

I bought my laptop last August 2018, I am very satisfied by the performance in terms of office works and gaming of my Aspire 3 Ryzen 5 2500U laptop. But when it started auto updating itself to Windows 10 1803, the problem with the unsupported drivers especially on the graphics drivers resulted to a very slow unresponsive performance of my laptop. I brought my laptop to the nearest Acer outlet and have my warranty claimed and they said they would fix it. About 31 days passed and my laptop was still not fixed.

I then contacted the service center and complained, the day when I took my laptop is the day when they also fixed and reformatted my laptop. My laptop was returned to me and still my problem persists. I researched my problem regarding my graphics issues and found out that Acer has released the AMD Ryzen CPUs knowing that they are not yet supported by the new Windows 10 1803 update. It hurts me a lot when I contacted Acer and want my laptop to be changed to an Intel version of Aspire 3, and yet they reason out that when it comes to Windows 10 issues they are not LIABLE to change or replace the unit. It is very unfair for us consumers to use a laptop without knowing that it is not still stable and operational. Acer please fix this issues and please let us have the item and service that we want and what we have paid for.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

I am really satisfied with the service I have received from Acer. No problems with fulfilling my warranty issues. Quick, easy communication with various forms of outreach. Affordable and quality products. Thank you!

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

I purchased the Acer Swift 3 from Office Depot on August 23rd, 2018. It really was a great, sleek laptop until it completely stopped working just over one month later. By September 26th, 2018, the laptop had stopped working. The screen went completely black, randomly. It showed no signs of slowing down, it just shut down. After attempting to troubleshoot the issue on my own, I decided to bring the laptop into Office Depot-knowing full well that my laptop experienced a major glitch just three days after my one-month warranty expired. After spending six hours at the Office Depot tech department that was two and half hours from home (closest location), the Office Depot tech guys told me that I need to contact Acer and ask for a new laptop.

I called Acer and they told me to send the laptop in for repairs. I was notified that the repairs would take 7-10 days upon receiving. I sent my laptop to the Acer location in Texas on September 30th. By October 3rd, it was received. I figured that the laptop would be repaired and shipped by October 16th (a full 10 business days). I called on October 10th to check on the progress. I found out that the laptops SSD (Solid State Drive) needed to be replaced. I called back on October 16th to ensure that the laptop was going to be shipped that day as my laptop had been gone for almost as long as it had operated properly. The customer service agent at Acer reported that there was a delay because the SSD was on back order and it would not be shipped until October 26th. I did not even receive an email to notify me that the laptop I use for work (which requires travel) would be shipped a FULL TEN DAYS after it was supposed to.

The tech customer service agent offered overnight shipping and adding on an extended two month warranty (which you'll probably put to good use with this laptop). Up to this point, I had been patient and understanding, but this agent was completely unapologetic and showed no empathy towards my situation. I was transferred to an Acer Corporate Customer Service Agent named Mark. Mark is a true asset to Acer and was very kind. However, he was limited in what he could offer to resolve this issue. He was able to offer a replacement laptop that had similar specs, the Acer Nitro Five Spin in black and red. These two laptops look completely different as the Nitro Five Spin comes in a red and black color and the screen can flip backward, making it a tablet.

I really just wanted a replacement of the laptop I ORIGINALLY bought, but Mark said that they were not able to offer that replacement. I am assuming it's because the Acer Swift 3 is such a piece of garbage that they don't even want to offer it as a replacement because Acer knows they'll have more repairs. Additionally, the SSDs were likely on back order because they have had to replace so many of them in the Acer Swift 3 laptop. And the Acer Swift 3's ability to fail after four weeks is also, likely, the reason that it is on sale for $150.00 below what I purchased it for less than 8 weeks ago. I ended up opting for the Acer Nitro 5 Spin and will end up selling it or offering it to an employee to use. Either way, I will NEVER buy an Acer again.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

I purchased the Acer Iconia Tab A100 - when Android tablets were still expensive. I specifically opted for this one over the iPad because this one had ports & felt nice & sturdy. This was also one of the last gifts I have from my mother so I would like to keep it going. I recently upgraded from Ice Cream Sandwich 2 to Ice Cream Sandwich 4 and nothing works anymore - I cannot even log into my Gmail account or Google Play Store. So today I call Acer to ask 2 questions: 1) If I uninstall the upgrade will my system be back to normal? Although it is outdated and many current app downloads are not compatible or 2) If I restore to factory settings is there a way to save the more expensive apps that I have already paid for without having to purchase them again? All the guy in India wanted to was charge me.

I realize that this old product is of no interest to the company in Taiwan - but it matters to me. I am so tired of everyone trying to get money out of me anytime I ask a simple question. I don't feel that I was asking them to walk me through any tech support. I am especially perturbed about this because I was forever telling people that this was the better product to buy over the iPad because I had done my research at the time...

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

I was notified on 10/5 that the service portal is ending on 9/30. 5 Days later!!! I don't go on my laptop every day. This same message could have popped up last week, the week before! Hell even a month in advance would have been nice. But no, I get the message 5 Days after it happens. I go on my computer at least once or twice a week and I've not once had a single notification about it. Everything is gone! Pictures, videos, majority of my kids, younger self and great grandparents, school records, homework, taxes, other personal documents, GONE! I would ** and ask you to compensate me in some way for this, but the amount of photos lost and work to recreate those documents and homework is something money can't buy. I will never buy another ACER computer again.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

I have got two Nitro 5 laptops delivered to me. Both was broken. The first one the touchpad didn't work. The replacement delivery could not find any hard drive. This brand has major problem with the quality!

Original review: July 22, 2018

Have a Acer desktop and does not boot up to windows. I need a recovery disk so I can recover the system to the factory set up. I bought the system in January 25, 2018 and told me I would have to buy the recovery disk for $49.00 because this falls under 90 days software warranty. Does not fall under the 1 year warranty. So now I have to spend the money. I never had a problem like this before with other companies. No change of heart. Never buy Acer again. I think customer service is important. That's why I will never buy Acer again.

Original review: July 19, 2018

I bought an ACER laptop with Intel Core i7 generation about a year ago and the first three weeks it work fine but after that I started to have all kind of problems, like freezing up and very slow but on 13 month just stopped working. I call customer service just to find out it was out of warranty. Very bad investment disposable a year later.

Original review: July 10, 2018

Worst laptop (AMD laptop) & service, customer service is very bad. Spare part cost kills you. There is no one to help in your query if the product is out of warranty even few days up, they will not make an effort to help you. Please do not buy Acer laptops.

Original review: July 4, 2018

I've bought 4 Acer laptops because they were in my budget. Worst mistake ever. Although they may work for the first month, afterwards they constantly freeze, crash, and get pop-ups. I've called ACER and they couldn't fix any of the problems after wasting hours of my time. Their solution is to contact Microsoft. I called Microsoft and they say it's an ACER problem. Now I'm left with 4 paperweights.

Original review: June 10, 2018

I had rec'd my laptop on Jan 2 2018. For the first 3 months it was working good, except every now and then it would reboot itself. I had it for 3-1/2 months and on the left side bottom, it looked like paint smudges, (actually looked like trees painted in the corner) I asked a family member what they thought it was, and they something about the pixels being damaged.

Since I never used it anywhere other than the kitchen table and it was always stored by itself on a shelf, it has not so much as had a slight bang. Nothing! No one else used it, it was password protected! I took it to where I bought it and they said I needed to send out of town for repairs to Mississauga Ontario. I was given instructions on how to pack it... 9-5 inches bubble wrap, and then in a box...I also put in extra bubbles...wrap entire box in packers tape, and I also wrote fragile all over the box, spent the extra 2 dollars so a signature was required to receive it.

Anyways, I was told I needed to pay $180.00 U.S for repairs. First off, I live in Canada and the repair place is in Canada, and they were claiming it was customer induced damage. So, by me typing, and I might add gently on the keys would cause damage to the screen??? If I did anything to cause this damage or any, I would have gladly paid, I have no issue with that, I just refuse to pay for something I did not do. I have no children at home, so there was none of that. I am almost 60 and I use it for talking to relatives or Facebook or reading the paper. Anyways they sent it back to me by FedEx, and I was tracking it, to make sure I was here when they delivered it.

I logged in and checked and it said delivered. I was home all day and on the main floor. No one came to my door, believe me, my Yorkie would have let me know! I looked outside and there it was, left on the ground and it was rainy and misty that day. No packing tape like they required me to use and no fragile marked on it. I opened the box and they have styrofoam things on the ends, and that's it. No bubble wrap. I couldn't believe it. When I turned it on to my surprise, the entire screen is just a blob of lines and blotches.

You cannot use it at all. It is destroyed. When I messaged Acer back, (they screen what post go up and what dont) they didnt even respond. I will never, ever buy an Acer product again, although I have in the past! I bought a new laptop after bringing mine in town to see if they could fix it. They said that that damage could very easily have been from manufacturer's defect, and they are surprised that Acer wouldn't even try to make it right. Buy quality, it what I have learned. I paid just under 500. On sale for it, and it lasted me 3 months. What a deal.

Original review: June 8, 2018

I bought a product online from Acer, a few hours later the order was "canceled". I called Acer back. Spoke to 4 different attendants, none of them gave me the reason of why the order was canceled, instead, they mentioned that "we never know why. The system does it automatically." After a second try, order canceled again. Called my bank, spoke to my account manager which confirmed that my card is totally normal, nothing blocking it from purchases.

Called Acer back and spoke to the 5th different attendant, a Supervisor, as I asked for. I told them all my frustration and gave up on the product and Acer. Now my bank account has 2 holding processes for a product that I will never get, for a reason that was never clarified, from attendants that does not even know how to solve a simple issue. The main detail of all: ALL data filled in the purchase form is CORRECT, including names, card number, address, etc. The same card has been used at several other locations and purchases and has NEVER been rejected.

Result at a glance: *Company/Product: ACER Switch 3 (Laptop) *Issue: Order canceled without reasonable explanation *Resolution: called 4 times, spoke to 5 different attendants, including a supervisor. None would tell a reasonable explanation of why the purchase was not going through. *Solution from buyer: called bank account manager and confirmed that my credit card is working properly, no holdings or anything blocking from using it. *Result: will never buy an Acer product again. After 5 different attendants, a good average for a fair evaluation, even a supervisor showed that they are not prepared for simple tasks and their customer service is definitely at a very low level of quality.

Acer expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 1976, Acer is a communication and information technology company that has become one of the leading manufacturers of laptops, Chromebooks and PCs.

• Desktop options: Acer’s desktop computers contain the space-saving Aspire X, the customizable Aspire T, the Predator G gaming computer, the Aspire Z all-in-one computer and numerous other models.

• Chromebook options: Acer offers numerous Chromebook laptops as well as the Acer Chromebox, a desktop Chrome base that is compact and portable.

• Notebook options: Acer notebook options include the ultra-thin Swift line, the convertible Spin laptops, the Switch line that combines a tablet with a snap-on keyboard and the Predator gaming line.

• Tablet options: Acer’s Iconia tablet computers range from the basic Iconia Tab 8 model for casual use to the more entertainment-focused Iconia Tab 10.

• Revo Build: Acer’s Revo Build computer is a PC build from stackable modules. Each part, from its basic motherboard to its data storage hard drive can be stacked in any modular order through magnetic connectors, so consumers can customize the PCs they want with ease.

• Best for: With an extensive and diverse collection, Acer computers are best for families, businesses or anyone looking for the right machine to fit their needs.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs