Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.46/5

Acer Reviews

Original review: Aug. 15, 2019

They fixed my broken laptop after the GPU failed. They replaced the motherboard completely. They even replaced some missing screws I had on the outer cover. They really did an amazing job. They They deserve nothing but 5 stars.

Original review: June 27, 2019

Well, after reading reviews online, I had my apprehensions. However, after speaking with the woman on the phone at Acer, and even telling her upfront that my son's warranty had been exceeded by 6 months (he got this in Christmas of 2017), she went through some steps with me and then said, "Okay, I'm going to send you a FedEx shipping label so you can send it in to be repaired, free of charge". Okay, here's what it was.

On the Acer Nitro 5 gaming laptop. It looks sharp and performs somewhat decent for an entry level laptop. Thing is, it has some serious flaws in design build, two of which my son was experiencing. The first, was that the keyboard was literally, falling apart on certain keys; specifically, the WASD keys most used for gaming. I mean, I've been using computers since the late 70's and gaming just as long and have NEVER seen keys literally disintegrate (not just missing paint of worn down letters), these keys were literally disintegrated to being just thin, plastic covers barely covering the keys they are on.

The thing that got us to call Acer however was when it wouldn't power on, at all. We went through the steps in order to reset it (power down, pinhole bios reset, etc.) and nothing worked. That's when the tech said, "Can you send it in for repair?" Well, they did us right. Not only did they repair everything and ship it to and from Acer by FedEx, but, they replaced the entire top keyboard and face plate, as well as a brand new LCD and housing unit, and also an upgrade on the Webcam as well, all listed in the repair receipt. Checking a bit deeper, they even took the extra step to ensure it would all work by upgrading the bios to the latest edition which released only a week ago AND they didn't delete or wipe my son's computer (which I imaged the Nand Flash SSD before sending it in).

The only thing I had to install was the secondary 2TB drive and that was it. Power up and on in about 3-5 seconds.. THAT'S FAST! So, I am SUPER, SUPER pleased with Acer. They've brought back my customer satisfaction after this performance as I was a bit leery about them after reading the many terrible online reviews, as well as the shoddy quality control design on the keyboard. My son had just paid $15 for ONE KEY REPLACEMENT (the D key) and the W key was completely out of stock, everywhere. That said, I wouldn't recommend the Nitro 5 based on this design flaw, but would consider some of their other laptops and products.

Oh, and complete turnaround time was. Sent it in late on Monday, 17th, tracked and saw it get there by ground transport on Thursday, 20th then tracked it through repairs from Friday, 21st to Sunday, 23rd and shipped back on on Monday, 24th and only receiving it here at 2:30pm on Thursday, 27th. Writing this now at 5-5:30pm (all times above in EST). That's it. Good luck with your own experience. I'm only giving our own first hand.

Get expert buying tips about Computer Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 4, 2019

I would like to say in short excellent! I have a son with extreme nonverbal autism, he has no control at times over his behaviors-breakdowns-meltdown and strength, he has been through DEMOLISHED several cell phone, tablets, laptops and desktops! 3 years now and though it is literally hanging onto its monitor portion connected to the keyboard by a wire or two, it work PERFECT! THANK YOU ACER!

Original review: Feb. 8, 2020

Purchased a Acer switch one10 tablet less then 2 years ago. Within the first year the motherboard was no good, could not turn on. Acer replaced it first time no charge. No another year later it won’t turn on again motherboard is fried again. This time no warranty for it so have to go out and buy another one. Can’t replace motherboard not worth it. Just really disappointed that within 2 years this tablet is no good and all my college work is gone. Not a good product to buy thinking acer is not the way to go now when I purchase a new one.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2020

Bought a very expensive monitor and it broke within 5 months. Was told to send it back but not using original packaging, using a courier which they arrange, and which they dont pay for any additional insurance. I included a lot of padding and packaging but the monitor arrived at their end broken and they now want me to pay for all the repairs?!? To add insult to injury they even asked if I would be interested in looking at the prices for their refurbished monitors... I kid you not!! They recorded a video of it being un-boxed at their end, but it doesn't show the state of the monitor, and the technician even took the box out of shot and then appeared with the monitor, so you dont see it being removed from the box!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Acer?

Original review: Feb. 3, 2020

I bought an Acer Aspire 16 weeks ago & am very dissatisfied with it. Freezes up often, slow to respond, slow navigating web sites. Attempted to get help from company & they wanted me to pay $1 (refundable) with credit card. If under warranty, why pay? And what will they do with my credit card number? Hello, refund, goodbye Acer. Poor product & even poorer customer experience. And a shopping I will go, but not for an Acer!

Original review: Jan. 24, 2020

My computer power pack gets hot after about 40 mins of charging. It gets that hot that you can’t hold it. We rang Acer and spoke to M J. He told me that the cord will get hot. Nothing to worry about. We asked him to send us an email outlining that because we didn’t believe that was the case and he said he would send it when we hung up. We waited 4 hours and no email. We called back and got a lady to send us the email but she told us that we needed to go to where we bought it and they would test it and order a new one. That’s what we did. We got a call from Joyce Mayne saying they would replace it. But today we were told by the man from Joyce Mayne that he was having trouble with Acer and he had a spare one we could have. Really bad service from Acer, I won’t be buying anything from them again.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2020

I bought an “Acer - Nitro 5 15.6" Gaming Laptop - AMD Ryzen 5 - 8GB Memory - AMD Radeon RX 560X - 1TB Hard Drive - Black” from Best Buy on July of 2019 and I noticed that for a gaming laptop it was unusually slow at times and would sometimes even freeze for minutes, so I took it to Microsoft for a diagnostic and they found that there were hard drive issues and recommended that since I still had the warranty for Acer, to set up a repair with them. Man was that a MISTAKE. I talked to the customer service representative and sent my laptop in for repair only to have it back a week in a half later without as much as an explanation of what they did to it. So I had to call and was told that they did a diagnostic and that there were no problems with the laptop and that it just needed a factory reset. This sounded fishy to me so I took back to Microsoft and was told that the factory reset would not solve anything to do with the hard drive.

So I called back and told them the continuing problem only to be told by the customer service representative “you want to send it back because you feel like it?” Obviously not. This has already wasted enough of my time. And AGAIN it was the same thing. Nothing according to me. But I said you know what. Let’s see if this does fix the problem. NOPE. And when I called for a THIRD time they claimed they had no record of me sending in that laptop two other times. Yeah okay buddy. I said forget it, let me see what Best Buy does. Turn out Best Buy has their own Geek Squad factory to repair things and IMMEDIATELY upon arriving at the repair factory they saw the hard drive needed to be replaced and are in the process of doing so. Acer says they “pride” themselves in “fixing” our products as fast as possible. Yeah that’s because they go for the quick fix instead of what our products actually need just to save a little money. Complete GARBAGE.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2020

Worst product quality, worst services, my laptop battery has stopped working just within a month. And they are not even ready to replace it, their RM Mr. Girish ** is even talking rudely like they don't even care. Acer is the worst brand in my opinion. I just made the wrong choice.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2020

I bought an Acer A515-54 laptop computer and two weeks after I bought it, the keys started breaking on the keyboard. Micro Center said that mechanical damage is not covered by the warranty. I called Acer and they want $400 to replace two keys. I only paid $500 for the computer. Junk. Do not buy from these mutts.

Avoid expensive home repairs

Take our two minute quiz to find the right home warranty for you.

Acer expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 1976, Acer is a communication and information technology company that has become one of the leading manufacturers of laptops, Chromebooks and PCs.

• Desktop options: Acer’s desktop computers contain the space-saving Aspire X, the customizable Aspire T, the Predator G gaming computer, the Aspire Z all-in-one computer and numerous other models.

• Chromebook options: Acer offers numerous Chromebook laptops as well as the Acer Chromebox, a desktop Chrome base that is compact and portable.

• Notebook options: Acer notebook options include the ultra-thin Swift line, the convertible Spin laptops, the Switch line that combines a tablet with a snap-on keyboard and the Predator gaming line.

• Tablet options: Acer’s Iconia tablet computers range from the basic Iconia Tab 8 model for casual use to the more entertainment-focused Iconia Tab 10.

• Revo Build: Acer’s Revo Build computer is a PC build from stackable modules. Each part, from its basic motherboard to its data storage hard drive can be stacked in any modular order through magnetic connectors, so consumers can customize the PCs they want with ease.

• Best for: With an extensive and diverse collection, Acer computers are best for families, businesses or anyone looking for the right machine to fit their needs.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team