3.62/5

1075 Acer Consumer Reviews

Original review: Aug. 15, 2019

They fixed my broken laptop after the GPU failed. They replaced the motherboard completely. They even replaced some missing screws I had on the outer cover. They really did an amazing job. They They deserve nothing but 5 stars.

Original review: June 27, 2019

Well, after reading reviews online, I had my apprehensions. However, after speaking with the woman on the phone at Acer, and even telling her upfront that my son's warranty had been exceeded by 6 months (he got this in Christmas of 2017), she went through some steps with me and then said, "Okay, I'm going to send you a FedEx shipping label so you can send it in to be repaired, free of charge". Okay, here's what it was.

On the Acer Nitro 5 gaming laptop. It looks sharp and performs somewhat decent for an entry level laptop. Thing is, it has some serious flaws in design build, two of which my son was experiencing. The first, was that the keyboard was literally, falling apart on certain keys; specifically, the WASD keys most used for gaming. I mean, I've been using computers since the late 70's and gaming just as long and have NEVER seen keys literally disintegrate (not just missing paint of worn down letters), these keys were literally disintegrated to being just thin, plastic covers barely covering the keys they are on.

The thing that got us to call Acer however was when it wouldn't power on, at all. We went through the steps in order to reset it (power down, pinhole bios reset, etc.) and nothing worked. That's when the tech said, "Can you send it in for repair?" Well, they did us right. Not only did they repair everything and ship it to and from Acer by FedEx, but, they replaced the entire top keyboard and face plate, as well as a brand new LCD and housing unit, and also an upgrade on the Webcam as well, all listed in the repair receipt. Checking a bit deeper, they even took the extra step to ensure it would all work by upgrading the bios to the latest edition which released only a week ago AND they didn't delete or wipe my son's computer (which I imaged the Nand Flash SSD before sending it in).

The only thing I had to install was the secondary 2TB drive and that was it. Power up and on in about 3-5 seconds.. THAT'S FAST! So, I am SUPER, SUPER pleased with Acer. They've brought back my customer satisfaction after this performance as I was a bit leery about them after reading the many terrible online reviews, as well as the shoddy quality control design on the keyboard. My son had just paid $15 for ONE KEY REPLACEMENT (the D key) and the W key was completely out of stock, everywhere. That said, I wouldn't recommend the Nitro 5 based on this design flaw, but would consider some of their other laptops and products.

Oh, and complete turnaround time was. Sent it in late on Monday, 17th, tracked and saw it get there by ground transport on Thursday, 20th then tracked it through repairs from Friday, 21st to Sunday, 23rd and shipped back on on Monday, 24th and only receiving it here at 2:30pm on Thursday, 27th. Writing this now at 5-5:30pm (all times above in EST). That's it. Good luck with your own experience. I'm only giving our own first hand.

Get expert buying tips about Computer Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 4, 2019

I would like to say in short excellent! I have a son with extreme nonverbal autism, he has no control at times over his behaviors-breakdowns-meltdown and strength, he has been through DEMOLISHED several cell phone, tablets, laptops and desktops! 3 years now and though it is literally hanging onto its monitor portion connected to the keyboard by a wire or two, it work PERFECT! THANK YOU ACER!

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

My Acer Chromebook wouldn't turn on. I called customer service. The representative talked me through several steps that didn't resolve the issue, so she instructed me (via an email) to mail it in and they will fix it and send it back to me. No other hassle or fuss. Great! I will recommend Acer based on customer service alone. Not every company stands behind its product. Well done, Acer!

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

I am really satisfied with the service I have received from Acer. No problems with fulfilling my warranty issues. Quick, easy communication with various forms of outreach. Affordable and quality products. Thank you!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Acer?

Original review: Aug. 19, 2019

I bought a gaming laptop from Acer and it failed within a year. This laptop will not power on at all. The laptop specs were so attractive and now I have to pay to ship the Laptop to Acer even though It's within warranty. Luckily I didn't waste my money purchasing the extended warranty they offer else I'd waste my money. I would never buy or even consider buying another Acer product as bad as Lenovo is the service is better.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2019

HISTORY: Jan. 2019: I purchased an ACER all-in-one desktop computer with a 1 year warranty. June 2019: A USB port broke. Tech support said to mail it to TX for repair. July 2019: Operating System does not boot at all. Computer now totally inoperable. July 2019: Per their tech support, mail it to Austin TX for repair via FedEx. They stated that although I should pay for shipping, they are going to provide a FedEx Shipping Label for my convenience.

ISSUE: July 2019: I FedEx'd it to Austin using the FedEx shipping label they provided. When they acknowledged receipt of the item via email, I waited to hear a report on the progress or the repair; instead, they called by phone over a week later telling me that the item was received damaged and I should file a claim with FedEx. I filed the claim with FedEx, as instructed. I provided the Claim numbers to Acer, as instructed. August 2019: They shipped my computer back to me, now physically damaged as well as them claiming that I no longer have a warranty because the screen is damaged and that is not a covered item. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the screen when it was shipped. It was in perfect physical condition; not a scratch on it! The computer was packaged perfectly, with a load of bubble wrap encasing the monitor numerous times, as well as numerous air pillows and other cushioning materials.

RIPPED-OFF: To avoid replacing my computer, THEY BROKE IT to void the warranty. August 2019: They shipped my computer back to me with a little arrow pointing to a chip on the corner of the monitor -- that was not there when I shipped it. They enclosed a note saying: System has a cracked screen which is not covered under warranty. System being returned non-repaired. It was sent to them due to a failure to access the operating system. They returned it due to a "cracked" (chipped) monitor.

Original review: July 8, 2019

My new monitor Developed some… My new monitor Developed some horizontal lines. Called cust. care & complained. Still nobody attended. Very bad after sale service. The service contractor Fox Plus in Chennai is the worst. Never bothered to attend customer follow up with calls.

Original review: July 5, 2019

My new monitor Developed some horizontal lines. Called cust. care & complained. Still nobody attended. Very bad after sale service. The service contractor Fox Plus in Chennai is the worst. Never bothered to attend customer follow up calls also.

Original review: June 28, 2019

I bought brand new Acer Helios 300 gaming laptop from eBay in February 2019. I have had many problems since then. First I noticed occasional Blue Screen after waking from sleep mode, I thought it's a drivers or software problem. So I reinstalled Windows, updated all drivers and BIOS. But the problem still persisted. Additionally I found another problem with freezing mouse and keyboard if I connect them to my external monitor. I brought it to the service center here in the Philippines, they told me to wait few days to test it.

After I came back to their office once again and they told me they can't detect any problem, no Blue Screens, no hanging issue. The technician also recommended me to take a photo or record a video. I got my laptop back and after bringing it back to home and connecting it, I encountered the same issues within 1 hour of work. After few weeks of working with issues I discovered another issue with a buzzing speakers if I turn off the laptop and wait 2-3 hours. I brought it back to Service Center and they tested it again.

The technician texted me once again so I came there again and he told me that buzzing sound is normal and happens on other laptops as well. I have other Asus laptop and never encountered this issue. Then again he said they need time to test it. So here I am, completely disappointed, wasted a lot of money riding to their office and trying to prove that I'm right and laptop has a hardware issue. Will never in my life buy Acer product ever again and would recommend to all my friend and relatives to stay away from this crappy company.

Acer expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 1976, Acer is a communication and information technology company that has become one of the leading manufacturers of laptops, Chromebooks and PCs.

• Desktop options: Acer’s desktop computers contain the space-saving Aspire X, the customizable Aspire T, the Predator G gaming computer, the Aspire Z all-in-one computer and numerous other models.

• Chromebook options: Acer offers numerous Chromebook laptops as well as the Acer Chromebox, a desktop Chrome base that is compact and portable.

• Notebook options: Acer notebook options include the ultra-thin Swift line, the convertible Spin laptops, the Switch line that combines a tablet with a snap-on keyboard and the Predator gaming line.

• Tablet options: Acer’s Iconia tablet computers range from the basic Iconia Tab 8 model for casual use to the more entertainment-focused Iconia Tab 10.

• Revo Build: Acer’s Revo Build computer is a PC build from stackable modules. Each part, from its basic motherboard to its data storage hard drive can be stacked in any modular order through magnetic connectors, so consumers can customize the PCs they want with ease.

• Best for: With an extensive and diverse collection, Acer computers are best for families, businesses or anyone looking for the right machine to fit their needs.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs