3.8/5 (764 ratings)

About Acer

Acer Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Acer?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Acer?

Original review: May 12, 2022

Windows 10 + the Acer Aspire E17 laptop = the worst computer experience of my life. Having owned a couple Acer desktops in the past, I think I have confirmed I will never buy another Acer product again.

Original review: May 2, 2022

I have had my Chromebook for less than a year and it crashed on me, giving an error message that says "Chrome OS is missing or damaged". I sent the Chromebook in to have it fixed and after I got it back and used it for two days, the same error occurred. The Chromebook is unusable. I called Acer, this time to request a replacement, and they said that they cannot replace it but I can send it back to have it fixed again. This is a Chromebook that I rely on for school - I've had to take a semester off to get "fixed" - now to have the same problem again.

Get buying tips about Computer Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 25, 2022

Bought the noted Acer laptop and was very happy. Seems to work fine but I noticed the hinge was always tight. Then I heard a crack. Still using the laptop but really don't want to close it as I expect it to completely ruin what's left. Sadly, it's not used daily but what a shock to see such poor craftsmanship. Now I need to take it to a repair shop to get fixed. Add $100 to $200 to the price since the hinge issue is an ongoing problem with Acer. Check reviews. I've used Lenovo and Dell laptops with never any mechanical issues. This hinge is a mess.

Original review: April 6, 2022

Wanted to upgrade my GPU from integrated to dedicated. A cheap Bios blocks that Acer's docs state they have different bios. Bios is not upgradable, hardwired into computer. This pc is just a glorified VCR.

Original review: March 27, 2022

I bought my laptop in 31st of December 2019. The warranty expired 2 years later, which is fine if the laptop wasn’t make to completely die in February for NO REASON. It was running just perfect. So for the first two years I was the number one to say that Acer was good! However, my laptop stopped working from one day to another. I was doing my uni assessment in the night, and in the following day, it wasn’t turning on anymore. I talked to the store I bought, I talked to acer, I left my laptop with a technician which was very kind. However, I couldn’t get my documents from the memory because it was dead. The motherboard was dead. Acer could repair, which would be the same price of a better and new one. No joke. So I strongly do not recommend acer products to anyone, since they have an expire date!!!! I am feeling very frustrated with acer.

Original review: March 15, 2022

My new Acer came apart at the hinges. Customer service wants me to jump through hoops in order to get it repaired. If you're thinking about an Acer. I URGE YOU TO GET ANYTHING BUT AN ACER. Don't take my word. Look at the MANY reviews. This is a HORRIBLE product!

Original review: Jan. 19, 2022

I have an Aspire 5 laptop by Acer. Since unboxing it at 9pm every night regardless of computer settings it will automatically shut down interrupting anything you are doing. Tech support has been useless, and now wishing maybe I have returned it, but I thought I could live with it. Now my wireless card is acting up not accessing my router intermittently. Also, my power cord connection is loose but solidly plugged into the laptop and constantly beeps while using the laptop losing power connection and regaining it. I use many laptops in my business and this was my first and last Acer product. I bought it through Costco.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2022

TLDR: A newly purchased $5000 computer dies in two weeks, ACER tries to give me a credit note for a different store in another state, takes over two months to sort out and even longer to (eventually) get a refund. Much hassle, 0/10, would not do again.

Bought what seemed like an awesome unit from their online store, refurbished with a 3090 rtx and an i11 processor, for a cool $5000. When I got it everything seemed perfect; until two weeks later when it shut down and just never turned back on again. Which is a bit of a bummer, because it's got my final uni assignment on it (spoiler; I never got it back).

We called ACER and after a few attempts they told us they'd send a courier down to pick it up. The courier never arrived... so they gave me instructions on how to ship it. A week later they ring up and tell me they can't fix it, it's completely dead, but they can't give me a refund (despite the terms and conditions stating otherwise). Instead, they tell me they'll give me a credit note for Harvey Norman (an Australian white goods store with some electronics sold on the side), in a completely different state.

Thought that was kind of strange, and wasn't happy about having to get a computer that might end up being inferior, but it is what it is. However! I ring Harvey Norman up and find out they have no idea what's going on, don't do credit notes for products bought from an online storefront that isn't theirs, and they can't help me.

After several very frustrating calls that felt like we were stuck in a roundabout limbo of hold music and polite but ultimately indifferent employees, we find out that my order number was somehow conflated with another fellow from across the country (despite them having a 1k-something laptop and a very different name, and I a completely different desktop, which you think they may have noticed considering they asked us for our details every single call). And mistakes happen, sure, but the fact that we were only able to find this out by seeking out line managers on several different occasion over several weeks says something about their customer support (or lack thereof).

We FINALLY get told we're getting a refund, but don't hear back for about two months. I'd give them zero stars but that's not an option and we did finally, *finally* get the refund (but bear in mind, we were 5k short for this entire duration), so I figured I'd celebrate by pointing out how many other people appear to have similar issues with Acer and I'd recommend staying far, far away. Plus, all support issues aside, they literally sold me a 5k computer that was so terribly refurbished that it just completely and utterly died within two weeks. I've got a lovely Alienware PC now so if you're looking to spend the big bucks, spend them somewhere else.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2022

I bought the ACER Inspire 5 18 Months ago. The motherboard is now faulty and ACER wants to charge 1.5 times the price of the laptop to fix it. This is huge a scam from ACER. I will never ever buy this brand again, Stay away from it.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2021

I bought an ACER monitor from eBay for my son for Christmas. Had it for a month wrapped. As soon as he opened it Christmas Day, he saw it was cracked. Since it was pas 30 days ACER said they could not do anything about it. Referred me to repair department which was closed for the holiday. Still waiting. Both ACER and eBay are terrible companies with horrible customer service.

Acer author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Founded in 1976, Acer is a communication and information technology company that has become one of the leading manufacturers of laptops, Chromebooks and PCs.

• Desktop options: Acer’s desktop computers contain the space-saving Aspire X, the customizable Aspire T, the Predator G gaming computer, the Aspire Z all-in-one computer and numerous other models.

• Chromebook options: Acer offers numerous Chromebook laptops as well as the Acer Chromebox, a desktop Chrome base that is compact and portable.

• Notebook options: Acer notebook options include the ultra-thin Swift line, the convertible Spin laptops, the Switch line that combines a tablet with a snap-on keyboard and the Predator gaming line.

• Tablet options: Acer’s Iconia tablet computers range from the basic Iconia Tab 8 model for casual use to the more entertainment-focused Iconia Tab 10.

• Revo Build: Acer’s Revo Build computer is a PC build from stackable modules. Each part, from its basic motherboard to its data storage hard drive can be stacked in any modular order through magnetic connectors, so consumers can customize the PCs they want with ease.

Acer Company Information