3.64/5

1068 Acer Consumer Reviews

Original review: April 4, 2019

I would like to say in short excellent! I have a son with extreme nonverbal autism, he has no control at times over his behaviors-breakdowns-meltdown and strength, he has been through DEMOLISHED several cell phone, tablets, laptops and desktops! 3 years now and though it is literally hanging onto its monitor portion connected to the keyboard by a wire or two, it work PERFECT! THANK YOU ACER!

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

My Acer Chromebook wouldn't turn on. I called customer service. The representative talked me through several steps that didn't resolve the issue, so she instructed me (via an email) to mail it in and they will fix it and send it back to me. No other hassle or fuss. Great! I will recommend Acer based on customer service alone. Not every company stands behind its product. Well done, Acer!

Get expert buying tips about Computer Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

I am really satisfied with the service I have received from Acer. No problems with fulfilling my warranty issues. Quick, easy communication with various forms of outreach. Affordable and quality products. Thank you!

Original review: June 7, 2019

After a couple months of purchasing the Nitro 5, my screen began to have image retention issues. I called an Acer rep and they helped me set everything up for the Repair Center. Unfortunately, the first time I sent it in they did not replace the screen but did replace the motherboard. This caused the Window BSOD to occur. Needless to say, I was dissatisfied. After calling the rep AGAIN, they did bump up my shipping to two-day shipping. They confused my ticket and caused another level of frustration. They managed to sort it out and a technician even contacted me, who assured me it would be fixed this time. I just got it back today, with both issues finally resolved.

-1 Star for worsening the issue initially.

-1 Star for poor customer service in regard to my ticket.

They can do good work, but keep an eye on them.

Original review: June 4, 2019

My 4 grown children bought an Aspire 3 for Christmas 2017, for me, after my Mac died. It was very quirky and irritating, e.g. while I typed a document, it very often switched where I was typing to a different area of the document, requiring several minutes of copying, pasting, deleting, and redoing each time. I had had 4 computers previously: a Dell, an HP, a Mac, and a Lenovo that still works after 8 years of abuse by 4 young grandchildren, a broken cover hanging by its wire, etc. Finally, it became slower and slower to respond, and I had to reconnect it to the wifi daily, but the other 3 computers in the home did not. By the end of May, every program/app said "not responding" and I COULD access email and Internet, but could do no work on my documents.

I called Acer many, many MANY times, and the customer service people were GREAT! They really tried everything! They walked me through each step of resetting, putting all my storage on flash drives, and EVERYTHING. After about a week and a half of this, they concluded my hard drive was gone and I could send it to them (even postage free) and get it totally refurbished for $280. It was bought originally new at Staples on an Acer sale -- about 60% off! I believe it was just a bunch of "irregulars" or "lemons" that they let go cheaper so no one would complain. The cost of repair is slightly more than the cost of the computer originally! I feel it is a rip-off. No one has used this computer but myself, an older lady, no abuse. Bad deal.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Acer?

Original review: June 3, 2019

After 6 months of semi-regular use (eight year old playing minecraft once a week) the unit began ignoring keyboard input and spontaneously rebooted. Took it to Micro Center where I bought it, and after 3 weeks I was told the parts that needed to be replaced (power supply and Motherboard) were unavailable and they had no idea when they would be available. Without going into the kind of reliability that would cause a unit to 'end of life' after 6 months, being told 'we don't have parts and we have no idea when we will' is way unacceptable. Contacted both Micro Center and Acer, and after going through 3 escalation levels with Acer they finally said they had no visibility into what parts their authorized repair center (Microcenter) had ordered and Microcenter would have to contact a secret depot that only authorized repair centers can contact. Micro Center tells me they had contacted them and STILL had no delivery plan. This is a warranty!

The unit has now spent 20% of its entire functional life in the repair center waiting for parts! I cannot contact anyone anywhere that can give me an answer, in the meantime the computer sits on a shelf at the repair center. ACER - poor quality, bad customer service, unreliable internal logistics, and what seems like an intentionally convoluted communication path. There are lots of PC builders - I would have been better served buying a Store Brand PC with their own warranty - at least I could talk to a person who can tell me real answers.

Original review: May 30, 2019

I bought an Acer Helios 300 from Amazon and after I only had It for about a year and a half of minimal use, the GPU burnt up. I went on their website to set up a repair. After entering my SNID, their system auto populated my purchase information including my warranty period (in warranty was the case). Their website didn’t let me set up my repair, it kept encountering an error so I called. I was transferred to a third party where they asked me to upload a proof of purchase after doing so they sent me an email confirming that my computer was in warranty and asked that I call back in 24 hours.

I did and when I called back, they told me to call again in 24 hours so I asked if they could call me and they set a time and date and did not call. So I called again only to be told I would receive an email in a week that I never received. I called again a week later and they said there was nothing they could do and my product wasn’t under warranty. After explaining that they just emailed me saying it was, they said that I was wrong. So I asked how much it would cost to repair and they said $600, more than half the price I paid for the computer in the first place. Never again.

Original review: May 23, 2019

DO NOT BUY ACER PRODUCTS!! If anything goes wrong with it, forget about your 1 year warranty. It's worthless from the moment you buy the product. I purchased an Acer Aspire 3 laptop from Argos in Doncaster for £270, on March 13th 2019. Not a huge amount of money, as far as laptops are concerned, but I may as well have just thrown the £270 down the toilet.

The battery side of the machine was getting hot very quickly, upon use, from day 1. In mid-April, after only 5 weeks use, the screen flashed white & then just showed a page of mixed-up nonsense, as I was halfway through typing a text document. It looked like all the "ink" had merged together in the bottom right hand side of the screen. I took it back to Argos & they told me I had to contact Acer. After several e-mails & 'phone calls to Acer (including having to send photos of the laptop to them) they gave me instructions on how to send them the machine for repair. Their courier (UPS) were also a nightmare, as I had to waste 3 full days sat at home waiting for UPS to pick up the laptop, after 2 days running they sent their driver to the wrong address. Loads of stressful, fruitless calls to the UPS call centre in the Philippines ensured that UPS got the pick-up address correct at the THIRD attempt.

I spent a lot of money (bubble wrap, safe packaging) to make sure that the laptop arrived at the Acer test building undamaged. A week later an Acer technician called me to tell me that the overheating was caused by a "damaged ventilation panel".... & that "whether it was your fault or not the repair would cost £220 or we can send it back to you unrepaired for £50".

I had looked painstakingly at the laptop before sending it to them & there was no visible damage to ANY part of it. So, they are telling me that, despite the machine having had no physical impact / pressure on it, during the 5 weeks I had been using it, it IS my fault? No chance of this internal fault being there before I bought it from Argos? I had already explained in my initial e-mail to them about it overheating from day 1 & they have simply dismissed this. At the end of the day, Acer can just write off your warranty & you've lost your money altogether.... And been put through a lot of wasted time, stress & money trying to get justice from them.

My experience with Acer has been one hell of an ordeal, but I will now be doing all I can to to either get my money back or a replacement laptop. Got the call from Acer an hour or so ago. Now I am going to start contacting as many consumer protection sites as I can & also contacting the relevant websites & as many media outlets as I can find, to warn other potential Acer "victims" NOT to purchase any any Acer product. A disgusting company that treats it's customers with pure & utter contempt.

Original review: May 17, 2019

Beware. Acer will NOT fix your faulty items even if under warranty. Had to send off a faulty tablet 1 month old that would not turn on. Then told 7-10 days turn around for repair once they fixed it their end. 2 months on still waiting for the same part. Any promise of callbacks never materialized, not once. Told at least 2x that it would be with me "by Friday this week"-still waiting for part that same day when rung. Maybe I should try to speak to a manager? I would have liked to but coincidentally every time I ring they are in a "team meeting". Strange. And they seem to be very long. Also strange. Tried contacting on Facebook social media etc got 1 reply asking for a case ID, gave it them. Then heard nothing since. Think their tactic is wait for you to give so they can resell the faulty item which they probably then fix quickly. Beware and just discard the warranty upon purchase if you do buy because it's worthless.

Original review: May 10, 2019

I purchased a 34-in curved Predator Monitor on 2-15-19 from Micro Center in Mayfield Heights. Two days ago I saw a red-line on the left side of my monitor and I have a 3-year warranty. However, that warranty (they did not tell me) means I send out my 1,000 dollar monitor and wait up to two months to get it back and it may not be fixed, They will decide if the red line was my fault or not. I understand there are scammers out there, but what about us hard working people who save up for months to buy these products. So, now I am trying to decide after all these reviews if sending it out is even a good idea.

I can't afford another one, but I can't lose it altogether. The red-line is there but I think I will try to find another way because sending it to them sounds like a really bad idea. I have been on other sites and heard much worse. Will not be buying Acer products in the future, the customer service was disrespectful. They could really care less about what the consumer goes through.

Original review: May 9, 2019

This company will advertise sales of laptop with expiration dates, but will not honor them on the last day of sale. I tried to order a Mother's Day gift 3 times on their website and 3 times it was cancelled. I called customer service twice to get the problem rectified and they kept telling me there is nothing they can help me with. I've owned their computers for 19 years and this is the first time I've experienced issues with their sales dept. Buyer beware on advertised sales by ACER.

Original review: May 9, 2019

Bought laptop. Keyboard upper keys failed. Sent to Texas after hours of phone calls. Took it to where I bought it. They were unable to resolve, so I sent it to Texas, meaning I am out of a computer for weeks. It came back and same problem. Sent it in again. Came back OK. They had to remove all files and software both times, which took me hours to back up and replace.

Now (5/8/19) the speakers stopped working. Tried everything tech support said, including delete old driver and install new. Did not work. Now they want me to send it to Texas again. I see on google search that this occurs regularly with Acer computers, along with the keyboard problems. DO NOT BUY ACER PRODUCTS. This is a lemon. There are lemon laws in California. I want a refund. This company and computer is horrible. The Tech said since they did not sell it to me, they had no responsibility.

Original review: May 1, 2019

I purchased my son a higher end Acer laptop from Costco, I don't have the model handy, that lasted about a year before it started falling apart. Like other posts here, the monitor started coming apart, performance was poor, slow, etc. Then I received a gift for Christmas, an Acer es15 575. Based on specs, this is a pretty robust laptop, should be breezing through programs, internet, etc. It has been a dud from the time I started using it, but because I was sick for the past 2 years and unable to get them to address within the warranty, of one year, they made me pay to diagnosis the issue.

Mind you I work in technology and spent hundreds of hours trying to get to the bottom of the issue, on the es15. This has caused me so much stress. It's my only computer now and am out about $700, hundreds of wasted hours, and the amount of stress while trying to recover cannot be measured. They deserve to be fined, and put out of business, and they are still trying to squeeze my out of more money and will not fix this dead paperweight.

Original review: April 29, 2019

We purchased a set of 45 Spin 11s in 2017. One by one they have all died. Acer replaced any that died within the first 6 months. After that we were forced to send them into our warranty company. However, if any other issues arrived with any individual laptop that put us over the coverage limit and the warranty company is buying them out for a third of what we paid for them. I've contacted ACER but they will not help any longer. I would NEVER buy an Acer product again nor recommend it to anyone.

Original review: April 7, 2019

I bought a brand new Acer monitor off Amazon about 4 months ago. In the last couple days it has started flickering on and off more and more. Now it is basically unusable. The return period for Amazon is over. ACER SHOULDN'T EVEN BE ALLOWED TO SELL COMPUTER PRODUCTS. I have an Acer laptop also and it's not very good either, but at least it still works sort of, this monitor is a worthless brick. I'm gonna have to drive over to the electronic waste recyclers now. Great. If Acer was a person they should get life in prison and possibly the death penalty for selling so much ** to so many people, it's practically fraud.

Original review: April 1, 2019

Save your money, please. If you gather nothing else from this post, stay away from ACER! I was gifted a laptop for Christmas 2018, and that laptop is a touchscreen. I had never had one before and was excited! Frilet's ffwd 4 months of use and normal use might I add... The screen cracked where you open the lid/top of the laptop and that crack then spidered out. My touchscreen is now disabled and useless.

It is under warranty for 279 more days, and they told us that they DO NOT repair ANY physical damage to the laptop. But this is obviously a huge flaw in their materials if it can crack from me opening it or I am secretly the hulk... They charge 500.00 to replace the screen. Again, 500.00 to replace it. That far exceeds the laptop cost and it should be covered because it shouldn't crack when I open it. :/ Anyways, I have a broken laptop and a terrible company that refuses to do anything about it. BEWARE of Acer. I know that I will NEVER again in my life buy another one. They are ruined in my eyes for the way they are treating us.

Original review: March 23, 2019

Bought an Acer Aspire 3 laptop based on Acer’s good reputation & husband’s good experience with Acer Chromebook. The touchpad and keyboard get “stuck” and work inconsistently. Tried to return the laptop after 16 days and Acer wouldn’t provide information to me on how to return the unit (despite being evacuated from my home for 3 of those 16 days due to natural gas disaster). I emailed the CEO, CFO and Marketing Director in LA within the week And got no response. Husband also declared the laptop to be useless. Save your money and don’t buy an Acer laptop.

Original review: March 13, 2019

Our computer crashed within months of purchase. After being on support for hours and unable to fix the issue they ask that you ship the computer back to them. The company has no way of repairing it onsite nor do they have local certified repair places. Since I no longer had the original box I was perplexed on how to ship it to them. They assured me that this is the only way to fix the issue so I packaged it as instructed. Lo and behold, the computer was damaged in shipping and they made us pay hundreds of dollars for the damage incurred during shipping! I would never buy another computer from them again. I’ve spent hours on the phone and have had to pay our IT guy to come set up our network twice more which cost hundreds more. Do yourselves a favor and spend a little more for a reputable company.

Original review: March 8, 2019

I am a graphic designer, and I purchased this expensive ACER PH315-51-72DU for work. Despite the laptop was new, and I haven't yet installed any software on it, apart from a browser, it started giving me blue screen, informing there is some problem with the graphic card. I only bought this laptop because of its graphic card which supposed to be good, and I was extremely disappointed with the brand. The customer service told me there's no way I can get a refund, and that the only way to deal with the problem is to sent the faulty product to them, so that they can fix it.

I did, and in some days I got the laptop back. In a couple of hours later after I turned it on, it showed me the same blue screen with the same error on it! It was all documented, I managed to take a picture on my phone, and sent it to them along with the time it exactly happened. After I was told to send the laptop to their facilities again, and I did. This time I informed them I don't want this product whether it will be fixed or not, all I want is refund.

It's been a week since then, and they were ignoring my requests, until yesterday I received a message on my mobile phone, informing me that my laptop would be returned to me today. I immediately contacted the customer service supervisor I was dealing with, but she replied they have checked the product, and didn't discover any problems, so the item will be returned to me. Since the communication with their support seems to be useless (I am in Portugal, and I believe I was dealing with Ibérica support), I managed to contact their Asian department.

I informed them, that I would reject the parcel, and I want a refund. They promised me to redirect the case somewhere. So at this point I spent 1200 euros (more than 1300 usd) on a low quality product, which was faulty out of the box, and their support is not able to resolve this problem. They refuse to give me my money back either. I will reject the parcel, and let's see what happens next. If I won't get my money back, I am going to sue the company.

Original review: March 3, 2019

I have had repeated problems with not being able to boot my laptop. This last time I had to call to have my laptop shipped back for service, at my expense, taking over 2 weeks to complete. Service person talks to me like I am causing the problem. If you are going to sell crap products, the least you could do is instruct your call center people to not be rude to the customers. Dominican Republic accent was difficult to understand. I have never owned a laptop with so many issues, and I won't again, because I will never buy an ACER product again!

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

So basically I had an Acer for years that I got in 2005 and still hasn't kicked the bucket (though is extremely slow now obviously). I decided to upgrade my work/school computer (I'm a grad student) and got an Acer Nitro 5 brand new a couple months ago. If it is unplugged for even a second it shuts down. Now I have to spend more money shipping it back to be repaired, and I'll be without a computer to work with at my office for up to a month because they apparently have no quality control anymore. This is a very common and known about problem that they have no intention of fixing. I would recommend buying any brand besides Acer.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

I have been involved in computers for more than 30 years, before the internet was invented. In the past 7 years I have had two ACER products, a all-in-one Aspire which had a premature death and now a laptop Aspire. The problem with the current one only 7 months old, is the dreaded BS OR BSOD. I have done the usual checks such as uninstalling Windows updates and third party apps etc, without success, reset computer, kept files, and finally restored to factory settings. It is running Windows 10 Pro and have determined that it is not a Microsoft issue, but a ACER hardware problem, most likely a motherboard fault. It is still under ACER warranty, so back to Harvey Norman Australia the retailer to either fix or replace. It about as reliable as a ashtray on a motorbike and ACER have a lot of ground to make up to seriously challenge other quality manufacturers.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

Be warned, I have made the mistake of purchasing two laptops from these shysters 575g and the 576g. The first, the motherboard died a week after warranties end (1 year). I took it in to my local repair guy, and he couldn't find parts/motherboard for it, so it's now my parts laptop. The second, which is still ongoing, as of this moment, I sent in for repair (dedicated GPU quit 6 months from brand new), and they claim "water damage" to avoid the repair, and there has never been any water on, or, in the laptop, period. I would classify this as being ripped off.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

I regret buying an Acer laptop. Should have invested my hard earned money elsewhere. This Expensive laptop ($500+) that I bought turned completely dead within 2 months. Never have I ever had this problem with any other laptops. This was my worst experience. I will SUE ACER!

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

To all that wish to have a light-weight laptop that they can carry along on trips to complete documents, spreadsheets, or just use for a study machine, reading pdf files. I would not take this laptop at all. It peaks out at 100% just to open up Google Chrome with Disk and CPU. I think that the laptop is only good for opening the lid and looking at the pretty pictures that Microsoft set as the screensavers. I cannot even give the laptop to my youngest child to play Candy Crush on, as the CPU peaks out at 100% again. Who knew that this laptop would even be for sale. The Intel Celeron Processor N3350 should be taken outside or for a long walk and never come back. Do not purchase if you value even the little of cost, just to have a laptop!

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

Brand new computer... freezes, locks up while doing updates. Makes a loud noise. Acer cloud base or whatever is no longer available. So I get this stupid message all the time. Yeah, I GOT IT. Google one drive and Acer has a problem. That also makes it lock up, freeze... definitely should bought an HP.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

It's been more than two months and they haven't fixed the problem while they charged on the same day of commitment and they still have not repaired my laptop. A really bad customer service and service centres you provide to repair the Acer laptops.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2019

If you want to throw 600$ in the garbage for a laptop that will last 1.5 yr, purchase an Acer. The laptop I bought 1.5 yr ago is totally done. The computer guy I saw today said he could only save the screen & the battery, the rest is crap and most of it is made of plastic. They don't even sell Acer in their store because it is too crappy. I got a HP at a low price & good quality. I got my lesson. I am not going to purchase a laptop every 2 years. I don't have this type of income.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

I purchased a Acer Nitro in November 2017 on sale from Costco. Through normal wear and tear, without a single drop, the monitor frame at the left hinge began to split open in October 2018. It wasn't too bad, so I just managed it until it steadily got worse and worse with time. I applied some super glue to make it more manageable, but it didn't hold. I figured, hey, this is probably minor, one-off manufacturing defect that Acer will surely fix for me. Upon calling Acer, I was told because I hadn't called within the 1 year timeframe, they would not cover and instead attempt to charge $440 to repair. The laptop cost $600. They, in effect, said, "Sorry we sold you a ** product, but it's your problem now." I will never, ever purchase another Acer product again and will certainly not get it repaired with them. I'll just suffer through using this broken POS until I can afford a new laptop and let as many people know as possible to avoid Acer.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

This pos monitor isn't connecting with DVI cable but I'd have to pay the price of this monitor ($100) to get them to help me connect it to my stupid computer. NEVER in my life have I heard of having to pay crap loads of money to get their device to actually do what it says it'll do. ** service. ** company. I will actively avoid their products because of their crap customer service now.

Acer expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 1976, Acer is a communication and information technology company that has become one of the leading manufacturers of laptops, Chromebooks and PCs.

• Desktop options: Acer’s desktop computers contain the space-saving Aspire X, the customizable Aspire T, the Predator G gaming computer, the Aspire Z all-in-one computer and numerous other models.

• Chromebook options: Acer offers numerous Chromebook laptops as well as the Acer Chromebox, a desktop Chrome base that is compact and portable.

• Notebook options: Acer notebook options include the ultra-thin Swift line, the convertible Spin laptops, the Switch line that combines a tablet with a snap-on keyboard and the Predator gaming line.

• Tablet options: Acer’s Iconia tablet computers range from the basic Iconia Tab 8 model for casual use to the more entertainment-focused Iconia Tab 10.

• Revo Build: Acer’s Revo Build computer is a PC build from stackable modules. Each part, from its basic motherboard to its data storage hard drive can be stacked in any modular order through magnetic connectors, so consumers can customize the PCs they want with ease.

• Best for: With an extensive and diverse collection, Acer computers are best for families, businesses or anyone looking for the right machine to fit their needs.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs