2.32/5
Based on 61 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

1030 Acer Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 10, 2018

I had rec'd my laptop on Jan 2 2018. For the first 3 months it was working good, except every now and then it would reboot itself. I had it for 3-1/2 months and on the left side bottom, it looked like paint smudges, (actually looked like trees painted in the corner) I asked a family member what they thought it was, and they something about the pixels being damaged.

Since I never used it anywhere other than the kitchen table and it was always stored by itself on a shelf, it has not so much as had a slight bang. Nothing! No one else used it, it was password protected! I took it to where I bought it and they said I needed to send out of town for repairs to Mississauga Ontario. I was given instructions on how to pack it... 9-5 inches bubble wrap, and then in a box...I also put in extra bubbles...wrap entire box in packers tape, and I also wrote fragile all over the box, spent the extra 2 dollars so a signature was required to receive it.

Anyways, I was told I needed to pay $180.00 U.S for repairs. First off, I live in Canada and the repair place is in Canada, and they were claiming it was customer induced damage. So, by me typing, and I might add gently on the keys would cause damage to the screen??? If I did anything to cause this damage or any, I would have gladly paid, I have no issue with that, I just refuse to pay for something I did not do. I have no children at home, so there was none of that. I am almost 60 and I use it for talking to relatives or Facebook or reading the paper. Anyways they sent it back to me by FedEx, and I was tracking it, to make sure I was here when they delivered it.

I logged in and checked and it said delivered. I was home all day and on the main floor. No one came to my door, believe me, my Yorkie would have let me know! I looked outside and there it was, left on the ground and it was rainy and misty that day. No packing tape like they required me to use and no fragile marked on it. I opened the box and they have styrofoam things on the ends, and that's it. No bubble wrap. I couldn't believe it. When I turned it on to my surprise, the entire screen is just a blob of lines and blotches.

You cannot use it at all. It is destroyed. When I messaged Acer back, (they screen what post go up and what dont) they didnt even respond. I will never, ever buy an Acer product again, although I have in the past! I bought a new laptop after bringing mine in town to see if they could fix it. They said that that damage could very easily have been from manufacturer's defect, and they are surprised that Acer wouldn't even try to make it right. Buy quality, it what I have learned. I paid just under 500. On sale for it, and it lasted me 3 months. What a deal.

Original review: June 8, 2018

I bought a product online from Acer, a few hours later the order was "canceled". I called Acer back. Spoke to 4 different attendants, none of them gave me the reason of why the order was canceled, instead, they mentioned that "we never know why. The system does it automatically." After a second try, order canceled again. Called my bank, spoke to my account manager which confirmed that my card is totally normal, nothing blocking it from purchases.

Called Acer back and spoke to the 5th different attendant, a Supervisor, as I asked for. I told them all my frustration and gave up on the product and Acer. Now my bank account has 2 holding processes for a product that I will never get, for a reason that was never clarified, from attendants that does not even know how to solve a simple issue. The main detail of all: ALL data filled in the purchase form is CORRECT, including names, card number, address, etc. The same card has been used at several other locations and purchases and has NEVER been rejected.

Result at a glance: *Company/Product: ACER Switch 3 (Laptop) *Issue: Order canceled without reasonable explanation *Resolution: called 4 times, spoke to 5 different attendants, including a supervisor. None would tell a reasonable explanation of why the purchase was not going through. *Solution from buyer: called bank account manager and confirmed that my credit card is working properly, no holdings or anything blocking from using it. *Result: will never buy an Acer product again. After 5 different attendants, a good average for a fair evaluation, even a supervisor showed that they are not prepared for simple tasks and their customer service is definitely at a very low level of quality.

Get expert buying tips about Computer Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 3, 2018

I've had 2 of these for years. Done upgrades but had no failures, same motherboards and chips. If they both died today I'd still be way ahead of the game.

Original review: April 25, 2018

For the case ** I raised to Acer support. Engineers previously told they will replace the display as the display was not working, then they denied the duty later and told they need easy care certificate and classified it as a physical damage. They promised to replace in 8-10 days and later they took u-turn. They are just fooling. Serial number: NXGE6SI030708302EA7600.

Original review: April 18, 2018

I bought a new Acer Aspire-5 one month ago and decided to do a little upgrade, meaning adding an SSD to speed up the booting in my laptop. So I decided to read different blogs and the "Acer Community". I decided to contact Acer Tech Support through Chat, and found that this "Tech Reps" know NOTHING about the computers they are supposed to provide the Tech Support. Two of the Representatives I chatted with did NOT know the difference between a 2.5" SSD and an M.2 SSD!!!

They were telling me that I needed a bracket kit to install an M.2 SSD (and this was after I convinced them that indeed THERE WAS a slot for an M.2 SSD...). I think these Tech Support Reps are poorly trained and are perhaps not even knowledgeable in computers. GOOD Tech support is indispensable in supporting after-sale customers! ACER must think in their customers, must think about providing good support - that is if they want to increase sales and customer satisfaction... I will find decent tech support someplace else.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Acer?

Original review: April 17, 2018

Bought a new Acer E5-553G-F55F system with 16 GB memory, HD screen, 256 GB SSD, 1T disk, etc. etc. It randomly reboots. Geek Squad tested and says it is hardware related. Acer says they cannot replicate it, but they only ran it through their test and sent it back just before their warranty expired. They did not let it go for a couple days to see that it does indeed randomly reboots after a couple hours, but at least once a day. Disappointed with Acer and Newegg. Won't buy from either again.

Original review: March 21, 2018

So my mother changed the password to her wifi in which my ACER laptop can only utilize, since it didn't say on the package that you can't hook it up to cable or broadband, which is what I use. Anyway, my mother gave me her password, yet The Acer computer wasn't designed so the average Joe can figure out where to type a new password. After much research and aggravation I called ACER, and they refused to answer a simple question because my warranty ran out. Wait. What? Really? I spent my hard earned money on their product, and they're not going to help me because they want to try to squeeze more money out of me? A simple question could not be answered. Disgusting! Thankfully I spoke to Hayley at Spectrum, who did not know the answer to my question, but she took time, put me on hold, and found the answer for me. Kudos to Hayley at another company who was able to help! Shame on you Acer.

Original review: March 20, 2018

Purchased PC 2 months ago. Worked okay at first. Started failing with the drivers first, then COULD NOT get online! It just sits around, prefer to use something reliable like my cell phone or an older computer.

Original review: March 19, 2018

I have been using Acer product since 2 years. When I first saw the Acer laptop, I thought that it was a great deal. I got a processor i5 with Turbo Boost to 2.7, a graphic card, which is magnificent, GeForce 940MI 4GB, 4GB of RAM (unfortunately), an HDD 1 TB space and a really good 4K screen (which I fell in love with) in the worth of 450€. So I was like this is what I am looking for. I proceeded on buying. After couple of days I received my laptop (about June 2016). At a glance the laptop, was better than I expected it to be. It was so operating that I thought I might get more Acer products and replace other electronic devices with Acer ones. After a year (May 2017) my wireless card broke down and I also had some water fallen to it (it was a small quantity though). Because I had the ethernet port I didn't care about the wireless card but only for the water.

So as it was expected I went to the store (not the official delegation of Acer) and I had it fixed. From then on my laptop has been dying (literally). My graphic card performance and processor speed started to decrease by the day. And then the everything started to fall apart. My laptop performance fell down by a lot. My fps went from 100 to most of my games to 50. My processor Turbo Boost speed went all the way down to 2.4 from 2.7. But for the usage I want my PC the current speed of it was good enough, though the performance decrease is notable. After a while my sister, managed to break the ethernet port, and I was like I have to find a way to fix it because I will not be able to access the web, and today's computers are nothing without internet access (even for people who works on computers).

So I found out that I had two solutions. First I could just replace the old broken ethernet port with a new one but there was a problem, my motherboard might not be compatible with the new part and if I had to change my motherboard it would cost lot of money and my other option was to just buy an USB to ethernet adapter. And of course I chose the USB to ethernet adapter because it was cheaper and quicker. But the problems increased instead of decreasing. The USB to ethernet adapter is one of the worst invention of the human being. If you move it by mistake (it doesn't have to be moved a lot) it will plug out and you will lose the internet connection and in case you need internet connection you have to plug and unplug it lots of times in order to get the right angle for it (if you don't find the right spot you will not get internet connection, don't ask me why this happens).

After having used it for more than 7 months I could not take it anymore and I decided to go to the delegation (this time) and have it fixed. They told me that they will try to fix it and it will take at latest 10 business days. And I was so happy that I could have my laptop fixed in less than 2 weeks. As it turns out they found out the wireless card is broken down and there is a big problem. The problem is that the current wireless card is available only for in warranty repairs and my laptop was out of warranty. So they told me to search for it on my own. And this is what I did. I searched the part on Google and I found a company located in Germany which could provide me with that specific part. And I ordered it. That was a big mistake by my side (I was so desperate, I needed that part so much because I couldn't even access my laptop because in the delegation they kept it until I have found the part).

The company told me that on week 12 (last week of March 2018) I would have my laptop wireless card at my place. And today 19/3/2018 they informed me the exact same thing as the delegation did. The current wireless card is only available for only in warranty repairs. I do not blame neither the Acer delegation nor the German company but I blame the Acer company itself. In conclusion, Acer gives lots of goodies within a very convenient price. But if somehow the product broke down or a piece of it you are screwed. It's been one month since I do not have my laptop and still no progress on it. SO I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND BUYING AN ACER PRODUCT, DESPITE THE FACT THAT THEY ARE SO ATTRACTIVE. Hopefully my review will help you decide. Cheers.

Original review: March 13, 2018

When I first bought my Acer laptop, I thought I was getting an amazing deal. It had everything I wanted and more. When it came in it was amazing. It worked beautifully. Then it started to have lots of problems. The touchscreen would randomly click all over the screen and make my laptop unusable. I had to disable the touchscreen in order to use my laptop. It also started having problems with the speakers. The left speaker quit working and the right speaker started getting quieter by the day. The battery started to lose its life quite quickly. Overall, it was running very slow and starting to become unusable. I decided that I wanted to return it for my money back like any other company lets you do. I had done this with an HP laptop so I knew companies could do this.

I called Acer and they told me I couldn't return it. SERIOUSLY? I told them I was told I had a 1 year warranty when I bought it. They told me this was only for repairs. I called them after having it about 6 months. After getting very frustrated I finally gave up and decided to send it in. I specifically told them to NOT remove my hard drive since it had programs I had no way to get again. When they finally sent it back, instead of listening to me, they sent me my old hard drive SEPARATELY. What is the use of that?! I had no way to use this so it was a complete waste of time. I ignored it and turned on my laptop, and it ran pretty well, but then it started to have THE SAME problems again! I called them again, but they told me that my warranty had expired. I was SO frustrated. I decided to rant on their Twitter page because I didn't know what else to do.

I Tweeted out about how bad their customer service was, and they sent me a DM and asked for my phone number. They had someone from the US call me (which had never happened) and I had a very nice conversation with that guy. He told me he would give me an extended warranty since the last technicians didn't fix the problems the last time. This man told me that I wouldn't lose anything off of my hard drive, so I decided to try again. This time, however, when I got it back the touchscreen was as buggy as ever. I called that guy again and he eventually told me that he was going to order a new laptop of a different model so that I would finally have a laptop that worked.

After I while I got the new one in, and it seemed amazing. The guy from the US Acer store was very nice about everything. I don't blame him for my problems, I blame the unintelligent people who make the laptops. The new one worked really well, but it is now even buggier than the first one software-wise. I don't know what to do now because I just need a working computer and I can't seem to get a decent computer. I just want my money back but they can't seem to understand that. If you are considering Acer, DON'T! You will regret immediately.

Original review: March 7, 2018

I bought an Acer from Incredible Connection SA in November, barely used it. It was just for office work (some Acer Aspire). About a month ago it woke up with lines on the screen, I turned it in on the 29th of January for repairs. They still have my laptop, I am told that I have to pay because it was a physical damage. I am just shook, nothing happened to that computer, I have had an HP for 5 years and never woke up with a ** screen.

Why do you sell such products, now Incredible Connection says take it with the supplier, I called Acer and they said, "Incredible Connection should escalate it for you." Now I am stuck in the middle. No one takes responsibility. This is horrible, that product was definitely ** and I will never buy it again. You can keep that computer. Use it for research to get where you getting ** wrong. I am not paying 2K. But I will not go down without a fight and telling people this product is ** and the customer care is horrible. My job number was **.

Original review: March 4, 2018

Not customer friendly, bad product. Worst computer I ever owned. Stay far away from this product. Best computer is HP. I tried to install a scanner 3 in one printer and the company shut off my service and froze me out. To fix my computer will take a new hard drive and start over is my choice to get them out of my computer.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2018

I had just moved into a new apartment and I was wondering how I could connect my iPhone to my Acer laptop's mobile hotspot. I called customer service and the representative I spoke to was wonderful. My negative experience has nothing to do with his customer service abilities. I was inquiring about how to connect my laptop to my phone's hotspot and I was told that because my computer's warranty was out of date that I was unable to be assisted further, the representative was very helpful and apologetic to my situation but when I ended the call I restarted the phone and PC and was able to connect to the mobile hotspot WITHOUT paying the $99.99 or $199.99 to update my warranty that was told to me that was needed to continue the customer service transaction.

I have no complaints about the representative that I talked to only the scam that is that I had to pay money to get what I got for free. In the end I am extremely disappointed in the aspects of Acer customer service which asks you to pay a fee to get what you can achieve for free not the representatives that are working there.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

Acer Aspire E 15 E5-575-33BM 15.6-Inch FHD Notebook with Windows 10 is so slow. It is unusable. If trying to multi-task, the computer crawls to a stop for several minutes. Requires constant reboots. Buy a more expensive model from another brand!!!

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

Purchased the ACER Switch for my business. Within a few months, issues with the detachable keyboard started to occur. The keyboard would become unresponsive. I would have to detach the keyboard and reattach in order for it to start working again. I own my own business and spend part of my week working inside residential homes doing custom automation and security programming. The issue with this device became a real problem. Over the next few months, the problem worsened. I researched online and found that one of the drivers was causing the issue with these computers and it was a well documented and known problem.

Since I work 24/7 and the Micro Center store is an hour away, I took me a few weeks to get back to the store. When I returned the unit to Micro Center, the device was approximately 20 days out of warranty. Even after speaking with the store manager, Micro Center was unwilling to fix the issue with the computer. They forwarded me to ACER. I called ACER customer support and they require the units SNID code before you can speak to a human. The code is on the box which is long gone. After cussing at the phone for 20 minutes, I finally got to speak to human being from some 3rd world country. After interpreting what he was telling me, I understood that ACER was not going to resolve this issue without any further cost to me. The CSR offerred me a maintenance program for all my computers and the ability to speak with a technician for a nominal fee.

When I communicated my expectations that this was a faulty product, known by ACER and which should be corrected by ACER without any charge to me, he apologized and told me I can speak with a technician at a nominal fee. I will not purchase another ACER product nor will I recommend to my associates and friends. It's a shame because we need more computer choices but not ones that don't support their faulty designs and products.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2018

I bought a brand new desktop and had issues immediately. Constantly crashing, randomly closing me out of programs, and not able to complete Windows updates. This is for my business mind you, so it's terribly inconvenient. After hundreds of dollars spent on IT companies trying to figure it out I call Acer and they suggest to do a refresh, which I do. After experiencing the same issues I call back and they tell me the only option is to send it in for repairs for 7-10 days (rather than just replacing this piece of junk). This is a business and I cannot be without my computer for that long, not only that but this is a BRAND NEW COMPUTER. I cannot believe Acer is OK with having a customer go through this much grief. I will NEVER buy an Acer product again, and if you want a RELIABLE computer, I suggest that you don't either.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2018

Product Category: NOTEBOOK CONSUMER. Product Serial Number: UNMV2SI002G4020739. Model Number: E5-572G-528R. After buying this laptop it just went off without. My case id is ** but I haven't got any response from Acer. Customer care always put my call on hold. I called to senior executive but they said talk in customer care. ** Acer take your laptop back. Please people do not buy Acer product.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2018

ACER DSKP G6-720-I7KDBE1070 - Not a happy camper. I bought the Desktop less than two months ago and I'm having power supply issues. I feel ACER should have more than two repair stations in British Columbia.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2018

I got my new laptop in Nov-17 and in its first month itself it got crashed during Windows update. I logged online service request and call has been assigned to Ms. ArmeeTechnology Services Pvt. Ltd. Their engineer came to my place after 4 days of call log and 2-3 calls from my side. He tried to solve the problem using YouTube videos and not succeed. Laptop taken to Ahmedabad center and after making several calls in a span of 1 month I had been given various timeline and reasons for delay in delivery. Today they committed delivery for tomorrow and told me to contact direct Acer for service request and not to them from next time as I raised concern about service quality.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2017

Recently bought this new Acer Predator Laptop from Acer. The disc drive didn't work so they wanted me to send my old one back and they would send my new one. OK. Here is the catch. They want my credit card to pay for the new disc drive. Customer service is in another country and they don't speak English well at all. Spoke to a regular person and then a supervisor. Both don't have clue what they are doing. I will never buy from Acer again just due to the customer service.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2017

I have only had my computer for ONE YEAR and already have I had too many problems for my--or anyone's--liking. First my screen just falls out for no reason at all, it's just black as if it no longer works (by this time, I've only had this computer for 1 month), then, after it being fixed but having to send it in and waiting for two weeks (which isn't easy if you have exams and essays and papers that you need write. Yes, I am a student), I get my computer back, but I can't login anymore. Turns out to be ANOTHER problem. So I call Acer again, for the billionth time and they say I have to send it in again. Only, it turns out this problem was of MY doing, so I end up having to pay 60 euros to them. Great, you couldn't tell me any time before that this was something I could have fixed on my own?

Then I get my PC back, after A LOT of hassle and crying, and NOW, it turns out there's ANOTHER problem with it. My hard drive is being weird and basically, if I don't get it fixed soon, my computer could explode. Only I have exams coming up and I reaaally need my computer, so I don't have the ** TIME TO SEND IT IN RIGHT NOW ('cause that takes two weeks time). So I guess I'll have to pay another 70 euros to get it fixed in a PC shop somewhere. Thanks for nothing, **. Acer is a horrible brand I vow I will never buy from them again.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

I purchased a brand new Acer Spin 5, while I was in the middle of setting it up for the first time there was an error and the computer restarted itself… Where it froze on "just a moment". After spending 45 minutes on the phone with Acer having them try to fix it, they offered to send me a USB Reboot in 5-8 business days, after telling them that was unacceptable they offered to send it to me within 3 business days. The USB arrived, and after following the instructions to reboot - it didn't work. I just stayed on the "just a moment screen". They told me I should send it in to have it fixed, what a joke! Very disappointed that they don't take more care in checking the computers before sale to ensure that they aren't defected. Won't be buying another Acer.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

I had called Acer support to help me with an issue that I had with my computer... So my hard drive was busted, I had hard drive reinstalled and Windows 7 that was not “genuine” reinstalled onto my computer (which was done at a repair shop). So I tell the agent “Abbie can you help me install new window on my computer?” She says “yes.” I provided with SNID number and all the other information she needed. She asked me to turn off the computer and press F2. In the end, where I am prompted to default settings... then I realized there was no more window on my computer. As it read “no bootable device...” What was worse, she was trying to transfer me to different department saying “oh there is other agents that can help with you with this case” AFTER SHE ERASED MY WINDOWS. This was similar to say “damage is done already I want to transfer my responsibility to someone else.”

So I told the agent Abbie this was wrong and she should provide me with a solution, not trying to transfer the accountability. Because I knew that speaking to other different deparment wouldnt help me a thing. Then in the end she says I can pay from $50 to 200 (USA) to fix it for me. After she had erased my window she wanted to charge me to “fix” it. Had I not listen to her instructions, I would still have my computer running. The Acer support neglected to help even though there was a way to fix (e.g., by providing windows on a link where we can download onto USB, etc). She said there is nothing we can do unless you pay for our service. So this made me realize they dont care about customer service and customer satisfactions. Also this experience made me feel that she on purposely had erase my window so she can sell “their service”. So disappointed after all.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

I'm compelled to write this review because I am so mad that a 2-year old laptop (SNID 54500894172) can completely fail and Acer will not provide any cost savings to help pay for a new one. This shows that they don't care about their customers and think that it is acceptable that it can be thrown into a landfill after just 2 years of use. I have read similar experiences with this product and the technician that tried to fix it for me said that the motherboard failed as well on the exact same Acer model owned by another customer. These cannot be coincidences. So I stress to anyone reading this review that you never buy a similar Acer laptop. I wish that I had read the Acer Aspire R reviews 2 years ago before I bought it. I will certainly check reviews of other laptop manufacturers this time around before I make a decision.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

Stay away from Acer. Their customer support is not customer support at all. I have a blue screened computer that won't even start in safe mode. The computer is clearly a lemon. I contacted them in less than 6 months of the purchase. They said to do a system reinstall. I did that and the desktop failed again. I contacted them again, still within the 6 month period of purchase and they told me I need to ship the desktop to Texas at my own expense. That will be very pricey and they are not willing to make any exceptions. They said you only get a new computer if I send it back to them, 3 times and it doesn't fix the issue. That would mean hundreds of dollars spent to ship it to Texas. I am very disappointed. I used to exclusively use one of their competitors and decided to try Acer. Shame on me... lesson learned. I will never purchase any Acer equipment ever again.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

Laptop 17" Aspire VN7-791G-51W9: Had this laptop for 2.5 years and suddenly wouldn't turn on anymore. Tried the battery trick and still no luck. Sent it in to Acer and they reported back motherboard defect and no reason. Charge for repair would be almost what a laptop (better version) costs new! Never again Acer. Other 2 different supplier laptops I've owned for years now are still running. PS. Also own an Acer 27" monitor where the power button is defect. This company just seems to sell rubbish.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

I really love it. Don't give me any problems, only one time when I lock myself out of it. Was very hard to get in. I couldn't remember my log in password.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

I have had this computer for 5 years and it has been a good one. I bought it at Walmart for 399.00 and I was surprised it has lasted this long. Thank you.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2017

I've had the current computer for approximately four years and have had no real problems with it. It is a 17" laptop & I have used it while I travel. Compared to current new computers it is a tad slow and it is heavier than any table, but still gets the job done. No real need to turn it in.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2017

I received my Acer in good shape with crystal clear instructions, set it up and it has performed well with no problems. I have had no trouble at all and I use it daily.

Acer expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 1976, Acer is a communication and information technology company that has become one of the leading manufacturers of laptops, Chromebooks and PCs.

• Desktop options: Acer’s desktop computers contain the space-saving Aspire X, the customizable Aspire T, the Predator G gaming computer, the Aspire Z all-in-one computer and numerous other models.

• Chromebook options: Acer offers numerous Chromebook laptops as well as the Acer Chromebox, a desktop Chrome base that is compact and portable.

• Notebook options: Acer notebook options include the ultra-thin Swift line, the convertible Spin laptops, the Switch line that combines a tablet with a snap-on keyboard and the Predator gaming line.

• Tablet options: Acer’s Iconia tablet computers range from the basic Iconia Tab 8 model for casual use to the more entertainment-focused Iconia Tab 10.

• Revo Build: Acer’s Revo Build computer is a PC build from stackable modules. Each part, from its basic motherboard to its data storage hard drive can be stacked in any modular order through magnetic connectors, so consumers can customize the PCs they want with ease.

• Best for: With an extensive and diverse collection, Acer computers are best for families, businesses or anyone looking for the right machine to fit their needs.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs