ZPDI: Zero Plus Dialing

Compare Miscellaneous

Research top Miscellaneous recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

In November 2015, my daughter was in a hospital and was told she had to use a payphone on the unit to call us. My daughter is developmentally delayed and functions at a first grade level. When she called us collect (she's about 40 miles from our home) we accepted the calls. At no time were we given any option to find out how much these collect calls were. We have received collect calls in the past and our expectation was that the rate was regulated and would be fair.

When we received our December bill, we noticed a charge for $25 for a 5 minute call and we called the number on our Verizon bill which was for ZPDI. We were transferred to another carrier, Legacy LD Inc. The person I spoke with said these charges were correct and that we had several more charges on our bill amounting to (at the time) $542. We were shocked and asked for an explanation for these charges. He said these were the charges and we, because we accepted the calls, agreed to pay this bill.

I asked to speak to a supervisor and he rudely told me that it would do me no good because the bill has to be paid. He told me that the person who made the calls had an option of finding out the rates when they make the call. When I told him that my daughter was developmentally delayed and would never understand the rates or how to select the option, he was once again rude and said that when I get my bill I can dispute it by faxing it in with a written letter. He then told me that it was likely that I would still be responsible for the bill.

When we received our bill the amount owed to Legacy LD Inc. was $652.49 instead of $542.00. Upon reviewing the bill, I found that some calls that were 1 minute in length were billed at $15.08. A call that was 2 minutes in length was billed at $16.57. It seems that there is no rhyme or reason for these charges. I've done some research and found that congress deregulated these companies in 1996 and allowed the businesses to set rates. Unfortunately, what they didn't realize is consumers who are in a hospital or prison don't have the option to look for a payphone with a cheaper rate. They also made the incorrect assumption that these businesses would charge fair rates.

I have seen countless reviews from consumers making the same claim I have yet I have seen no resolution in all of these complaints. I have also read through the FCC site and noticed that they are aware that consumers are being charged unfair rates but they have not done anything about it. They are allowing these companies to prey on vulnerable consumers who are in hospitals or prisons.

Right now I am unemployed and $652.49 is money I need to pay for things like health insurance. When I explained this to Carlos at Legacy LD he was unsympathetic. I have read in other reviews that consumers have received the same treatment. I would like to get the word out about companies like ZPDI and Legacy LD Inc. so that other consumers are not ripped off like this. Hopefully, if enough people read this action will be taken to regulate these companies.

My mother received her phone bill from Verizon and noticed a charge of $5.05 from ZPDI. With a little research I found out that ZPDI was a billing company for "Triton Global Bus" - a Canadian company that bills by phone and who billed for a "directory assistance" call by way of Frontier North, Inc. out of Bismarck, IL. I called ZPDI and demanded they remove the fraudulent charge and the woman tried "explaining" that someone from this house called an 800 number that was disconnected and an operator came on to assist and find the correct number. Who uses directory assistance anymore anyway???

I told them to remove the bogus charge, I knew what ZPDI does, they should maybe Google themselves sometime. I remained firm that I wanted the charge credited to the account. After being put on hold, she came back and said the charge will be credited to the Verizon account in 1-3 cycles. I told her I will be watching. I can see a class-action suit happening if their practice continues. 3 stars because the issue is tentatively resolved. 0 stars that ZPDI has been getting away with this fraud for years.

When I received my phone bill, there were $161.97 in collect calls I did not receive meaning my phone never rang! I don't even know anyone who lives in the area the supposed calls were coming from. I called AT&T; all they could do is put a block on collect calls. AT&T told me to contact ZPDI. I called several times and never was able to speak to anyone (I was on hold for 20 plus minutes each time). How do you get charged for calls that never came through on phone line? Still going to keep calling until I get an answer.

I was charged $10.00 per minute for a 3 minute call by ZPDI and I never even answered the phone. These people are crooks and need to be removed from ever being allowed to be in business. I refused to be bullied by this company. I am a Private Investigator and I will get to the bottom of this company and then I will sue them.

I made four calls while staying in California at Deetjens Inn in Big Sur. I had no idea that the calls were costing me a fortune. The cost amounts to usury on the part of the company.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about ZPDI?

Received a collect call from son from San Diego mission. I accepted the call but was not told by legacy what the rate was. I checked my credit card was charged

$102.68 for a 30-minute call. This is so wrong for a co. to not inform charges before getting my permission to accept this. Please could you investigate this? Thanks.

I accepted a collect call through this phone service, and spoke for about 5 minutes, and I have been charged $30. This is a real scam.

I see that several people have had similar experiences with ZPDI. I replied to calls from our son who was in an inpatient facility 1,400 miles from where we reside. He was only allowed to call from certain phones. I was not given any rate information nor the option to find out what they were. The calls consisted of 6 calls totaling 60 minutes over 3 days. The bill was $380.52. I called ZPDI and they gave an address in San Ysidro to write to about these charges. No phone number or business name was provided.

I was actually offered an immediate discount of $180.00 since this was the first time I had experienced this problem with ZPDI. I refused since no viable reason was provided for the discount. I talked with an agent and was provided the address for any dispute. Since then, ZPDI phones have gone off line each time I attempt to call them.

I was charged $35.35 for two collect calls. One was 6 minutes the other 7 minutes. The invoice was my monthly bill from my provider. I called Videotron and advised them that I did not want them to pay the said fees on my part. Also asked them if they could advise ZPDI to invoice me directly, as they advised me that this was not their charge for the long distance, also that they only collect for the other (ZPDI) provider. If ZPDI will not invoice me then I will not pay.

I got a $45 charge on my phone bill from a 9-minute 1-800-Collect call my son had made. That's $306/hour!! So I called "Billing Solutions" and told them I simply was not going to pay anything near that. Surprisingly, they agreed to waive the payment. Hence the 3 stars. If you get ripped off, work with them and you may recover. Tell your local phone company you don't appreciate them billing for scammers like this. Let them send me a bill directly and try to collect.

I received billing with my local phone bill from this company. I did accept an emergency collect call from a family member who was hospitalized and this was her only way to contact me. I was stunned at the billing of $101.75 from this company for a 19 minute call. I call and was told by a rude representative that I should have asked what the rates were before accepting the call. Well had I known that this is a rip off method of billing used by this company I would have or not accepted the call, and tried to call the patient back. Something should be done to further investigate the methods and practices of this company. I am stuck with this outrageous bill.

4 collect phone calls, $121.00. Are you kidding me? Normally $70.00 phone bill now cost me almost $200.00. They are robbing people.

I live 2 hours from the person who called me collect. 4 calls was over 122.00 for just a few minutes. I am outraged at them for taking advantage of people. Someone needs to put a stop to them, and right now.

In May, NCIC took over handling inmate calls in Louisiana. In order to receive an inmate call, one must "PRE-pay" with a credit card. NCIC charges $4.95 to setup the call, $4.95 for the first minute, and 89 cents for every minute after that up to 15 minutes of call time. I wasn't happy with the rate, but went with the plan. I have pre-paid $135. On 7/6, I received my local phone bill on which there were unexplained charges from ZPDI for $67.09. I had to run a Google search to find out who/what ZPDI is. Oh, they are billing me again for the collect calls from an inmate. This evening, I filed an FCC Consumer Complaint. I also sent in a complaint to a class action law firm.

I just received my AT&T monthly phone bill. Under the billing summary, there is a charge of $8.84 for Zero Plus Dialing. I contacted ZPD and was told that charge is because I accepted a collect call in the month of May. I informed them I paid for that call in June as it was on my AT&T bill. The representative spoke in such poor English it was difficult to understand him. To the best of my knowledge, he said I would have to pay it because I had accepted a collect call in May! The amount is not as bad as some I have seen here, but it is a matter of principle. How can a company charge after the collect charge was already paid??? Thank you!

Second month in a row with these bogus collect calls!! The previous month we were billed for collect calls that never took place. This episode stirred up the family because these calls were blamed on a family member that said repeatedly that he did not make those calls but was made to pay for the calls. All kinds of speeches came up for his favor, which put family members against each other. That's a shame it went that far. The amount was only $47, but it tore a family up. The new month now has a charge of $150 (which includes all surcharges). I called their number and got "a free cruise to the Bahamas" and to press a key to get details. Otherwise, they hung up on me!! There has to be a way to stop these monsters and make them repay all of us who suffered their scam.

I received my phone bill to find a charge for a collect call. This happened during the day when no one was home to accept a call! They said they will credit my phone bill. So we will see what happens. I think it's a scam!

On March 19, 2013, my grandson placed an emergency collect call from a phone booth in Lincoln City, OR to me in Tigard, OR which lasted 11 minutes. The charges for the call are $48.08. I have contacted Frontier, the phone company which provides my service, and they referred me to ZDPI (Zero Plus Dialing Inc), the billing company who then referred me to WiMacTel, the carrier. After two calls to WiMacTel, I was offered a $10% discount for which I refused. After approximately 30 minutes on the phone, the customer service person offered a 30% discount with no further recourse. I accepted this reduction, however, $31.26 for an 11 minute call is robbery and this company should be prosecuted for fraud and should not be allowed to provide phone service from public phone booths.

I made a phone call to my daughter at my home. When I got my Verizon phone bill, I was aghast and shocked at the amount that was charged, $25.00 for 4 minutes. This company is ripping off consumers, to line their pockets. This is big-time greed. Something has to be done to protect us, consumers.

Our daughter lives and works in Manhattan and was unable to contact us during the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy. The area where she lives was affected by the flooding which caused power outages, the failure of cell phone networks, and other major damage. On October 31st, 2012, she was able to find a phone which worked to make a collect call to us. There was no other method that she could have used to contact us in Connecticut at that time. Zero Plus Dialing Inc. provided the service from the phone that our daughter used. We have just received the bill for that call which lasted just long enough for our daughter to tell us that she was okay. Zero Plus Dialing billed us $28.53 for a call which, according to ZPDI, lasted 5 minutes (We believe that the call lasted two minutes.) ZPDI is at the very least guilty of price gouging in the aftermath of the storm. We are wondering how many other people had to use the services of ZPDI in the days after Hurricane Sandy and have now been billed exorbitant amounts.

I received a collect call from my boyfriend. Mind you, I had no idea nor even thought this would be occurring. With no prior warning or being given the rates that each minute of the phone call would cost, I went ahead and accepted it. For a 4-minute phone call, I was charged $30.84. Not only that it's a ridiculous amount, but another $30.86 was charged as a fee for the first charge. Altogether, with the rest of the zero plus dialing and phone charges, I was given an extra $88.20 on my original bill. My original bill, including phone & high-speed internet, was only $69.88. The 14-minute collect call more than doubled my bill. I get any other long distance calls free of charge, so I am so angry and completely outraged about this. How can this company still be operating when it is clearly overcharging and breaking some type of law? How is it legal not to give notice or tell people what will be charged per minute to take the call and what will be added to their AT&T phone bill? Why can't AT&T find someone better, and why can't anyone ever get on the phone to explain to the people you are robbing why and how these rates emerge? This is absolutely the worst company I've ever seen or heard of!

A bill for a collect call from ZPDI was not received! This company is a fraudulent company. They said they would give credit of $29.83 - charge was $39.83! This is the biggest scam company ever! So many complaints against them need to be investigated! AT&T & Sprint should be ashamed at having anything to do with them!

This company's bill was on my AT&T bill. They said I had a collect call from somewhere in Virginia. I don't have any relatives up there, no friends that I talk to on phone. How can I get this taken off of my bill? It must be illegal for them to just charge you and you didn't even have a collect call.

I received charges on my phone bill. I called ZPDI and was told that it was from a pay phone from a hospital. I informed him that I work in that hospital and that all pay phones were removed several years ago. Also, I called the number where the charges came from and it was a data line. There's a little fraud going on here maybe.

$60.89 for a 9-minute phone call. Something needs to be done about companies like ZPDI. They rip people off.

My son called collect from a pay phone. I knew it was him, as I knew his circumstances, and that the only way he had to contact me at that time was by collect call. So, I accepted the call. However, had I known what exorbitant rates they charge, I wouldn't have accepted it, or I would have accepted it only long enough to tell him I could only talk for 1 minute and to explain why I would no longer be accepting any more collect calls.

The first thing I heard upon answering the phone was an automated recording which prompted me to "press 2 to hear the rates for this call." I pressed 2, and I was directly connected to my son. No rates were ever given. Once my son was on the line, I wasn't about to cut him off, because I never dreamed I could be racking up such a huge bill! I kept it short, because a collect call costs money in any case; and I knew that.

I accepted a total of 3 calls all together, going through the same bit: I pressed 2 to get the rates, and I was directly connected to my son instead. The calls lasted 8 minutes, 11 minutes, and 16 minutes. It's a total of 35 minutes. I was billed $45.52, $59.02, and $78.97 for a grand total of $183.51. That's $5.24 a minute! I never would have accepted those rates. Never! But they lied about the "press 2 to hear rates" prompt. Every single time, I followed their instructions; and they scammed me by automatically connecting the call instead.

All 3 calls had taken place before I received the bill for the first one. When I called ZPDI about the first one and explained to them how I pressed 2 to get rates but the call went through instead before giving me the rates, they said "as a first-time user of our service, we can give you a courtesy discount of $17.00." I was not happy, but I took what I could get. After the second bill came, I called again with the same complaint. This time, I was told they would knock off $45.00. Both times, they told me it would take up to 2 billing cycles to see the adjustments. I haven't seen the first adjustment yet, so I am waiting to see what happens.

In the meantime, the more I think about it, the madder I get, because even if they give the discounts, I still paid $121.50 for a 35-minute call! That's still $3.47 a minute! I wouldn't have accepted the first call or any subsequent calls if I had known that. I intend to pursue this further.

My Verizon bill contained a $70.48 item from Zero Plus Dialing (Network Oper Svcs) for a 15-minute collect call. From what I can tell, my son was incarcerated in a county facility about 30 miles away and the charge in question is associated with a call from him. ZPDI was willing to give me a $28.00 credit, which I turned down. Even with the credit, I am being charged about $2.83 per minute. There was no mention of a rate charge when asked if I would accept the collect call.

Unauthorized "Inmate" Collect Call Charges on AT&T Bill - Thanks to FCC and Government Deregulation of the Phone Industry, companies or corporations like ZPDI (Zero Plus Dialing, Inc.) now have the right to explicitly charge your home phone bill with "unauthorized" charges that in my opinion I feel should be flat out illegal.

In this case, ZPDI charged to my AT&T phone bill for my February and March Billing periods two charges; one for $4.44 and the other for $11.21. These were charges for Collect Calls coming from a family member which I did not authorize nor will ever authorize. Furthermore I did not answer these calls, as my home phone has been uncharged and unplugged for the last 6 months because I do not use it to make or accept calls. Luckily, AT&T worked with me to "recourse" the charges back to ZPDI as the technician that supported me could understand my frustration and see that the charges did appear to be bogus.

The sad part is though that AT&T will still likely end up eating the cost all in the name of "Government Deregulation". And I had to now request a "BLOCK" against all Collect and Third Party Calls on my phone line (which I only keep for the alarm and never use anyway) because according to the laws in place, it's illegal for AT&T to apply that "BLOCK" automatically to start with which they should be allowed to do in my opinion. In fact, until you notify your phone company about such charges, then they can't even really see the detail of these charges on your account unless you have first logged into your account to see them yourself and then notified them. In other words, there is some nice hocus pocus going on here.

Don't give into "The Man"! If you see these charges on your phone bill and you know you didn't authorize them then fight it. Be warned though that you'll have better luck disputing this with your phone company rather than with ZPDI or other Third Party "Scammers". You got to LOVE these "idiotic" rules put in place by the FCC and our retarded "5th Grade" No Brained Government Zombies that are supposed to be working for us and not against us.

I received a collect call from a correctional facility, thinking it could be someone I knew. I accepted the call and was told by phone prompts that it would be about $5.00. That call cost me $12.49. This month, I was sent another bill for $2.49 for a statement fee on the bill I already paid!

I called the ZPDI calling company to inform the company that I constantly get disconnected during my call because I'm being accused of 3-way calling. There are no other parties on the phone. Once, the call disconnects rather in 2 minutes or 4 minutes. The party has to call back. So what should have been just one call and one charge is not. It always ends up being two calls and two charges. I called to inform ZPDI but they will only research why I'm having the 3-way issue but will not prorate the cost. Whether it's a 3 minute call or a 30-minute call, I get charged $2.25. I freely pay my bill but the debate is this company does not care about customer satisfaction. I will pay for service rendered they do not cheat with.

ZPDI: Zero Plus Dialing Company Profile