2.09/5

37 VTech Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 29, 2009

I purchased the Vtech Dora TV globe for my daughter for Christmas. Gift was purchased back in August from Toys R Us. Christmas afternoon when we tried to hook the toy up and play with it it would not work. At all. Nothing. I called the 1800 number to see if they could help me get the toy to work and the representative had me on the phone doing the most ridiculas "problem solving" I have ever heard of. End result: Nothing worked. They said that I could ship the toy back to them at my expense and also for me to include insurance when sending it back and that they would replace it. Ha! What a joke! I have already paid for the toy once, why should I have to pay for a non-working product to be shipped back...I am the customer! Should'nt Vtech pay for that? So I decided to go another route and take it back to Toys R Us. They wouldn't take the toy back because it had been purchased more than 90 days before, so here I am with a toy that doesn't work and nothing I can do about it. Anybody who wants to purchase a Vtech product BEWARE it is likely that it will not work and you will be stuck with a defective product!

Original review: Dec. 31, 2008

I purchased a VTech baby cellphone at Khol's which was a Christmas gift for my 6mo old niece. Not even a week since I gave her the gift and I was informed that the toy had a major defect that could have been life threatning to the baby! I was informed that the toy felt hot to the touch so it was taken away from my niece and given a rest to cool off. The following day my Brother went to get the toy and found that it was leaking a liquid,when he picked up the cellphone it was determined that the battery from the toy cellphone had leaked acid.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2008

I purchased a VTech cordless phone with answering machine from I thought Amazon.com not realizing I was actually buying it from ANTOnline.com. I received the phone on Aug 5, 2008 and installed it according to the directions. The next day I discovered only the answering machine worked and the phone did not so I contacted Amazon.com and they emailed me the phone number of what I thought was AntOnline. It turned out instead to be VTech so customer support told me to try a variety of things with the phone which I already had done according to the troubleshooting guide.

VTech came to the conclusion the phone was defective and I could return it to them and pay postage but getting another phone or my money became very complicated so my other option was to directly deal with Antonline who I purchased the phone from. I called them and explained everything. They told me I would be responsible for the shipping cost (about $7.00 or $8.00) on top of what I had already payed for the phone plus the original shipping.

I could understand a consumer paying return shipping if the consumer just didn't like the phone but this phone was defective. It does not work and that is how I received it. The company sent it to me broken. Why should I have to pay return shipping on something that the only reason I'm returning it is because it does not work. I would gladly take a replacement phone as I happen to like the phone. The only address I have for the company is the returns dept. listed above. They sent me an email with a return number but if I don't return the item within 10 days the number becomes invalid so I will not be able to return it period. I still have a brand new phone that does not work and it seems my only option is to basically either keep it and lose my money totally or pay the additional return costs even though I am not at fault because it was defective when I received it.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2008

We purchased the cool, high-tech VTech phones (model #i5871) last year. They were state-of-the-art & we were happy with them for the most part, although they didn't have quite the amount of features we were hoping for....they did impress us in other ways. About 3 months ago, we started experiencing problems with the phone. We would get a call & the phone would cut out in the middle of the call & the handset screen would say, Searching for base.

The problem would occur infrequently. Then it started happening more & more & the problem would get progressively worse to the point where we couldn't even make a phone call without it cutting out immediately. We tried different techniques to resolve the problem. Moving the base, getting new batteries, re-registering the handsets...nothing worked. I got so frustrated one night when my daughter fell down while playing upstairs, I tried to make a phone call, the phone wouldn't work, I grabbed another handset...same problem, so I had to use my cell phone which was almost dead as well & luckily I was able to make the phone call.

I went online & got in touch with customer service for VTech who suggested the same resolutions that I had already tried, then when I called back to tell them that the suggestions didn't solve the problems, they told me that it must be my phone line or some operator error & that the phone does not have any problems with it. I was so upset for having spent almost $200 on this set of phones with the VTech reputation to back them up only for them to crap out a year later, right after their warranty expires.

Sounds like there are a lot of consumer complaints dealing with this very same issue with this very same model of VTech phones. Seems VTech doesn't really care about what kind of product they put out there. And with the kind of feedback we are getting from their customer service, they have no intention of trying to resolve the common complaint. We thought those phones would be the last ones we would have to purchase for a while, that is...unless our tastes changed or ones that looked much cooler came out! Unfortunately we had to purchase new phones for the household & this time we stayed clear away from VTech. We purchased a brand we can definitely trust this time...Panasonic!

Roughly $200, which is the cost of the base unit & 2 extra handsets.

Original review: May 16, 2007

I bought the write and smart board which is wupposed to help my child to write. I t does not work the product is defective and they say it is my problem not theirs so I need to spend more money and shipp it to them .I have been on the phone with them for an hour they cannot resolve it, nor will they allow me to speak to their manager. I have no choice but hope that the consumer affairs can protect the consumer to hold big companies accountable for their product..

It has made to show that vtech toys has no customer service and most of its toys will stop working after the 90 day..AS a consumer who trust that big companies will test their product before they put it in market. It also is frustrating that we cannot trust the honor system with which we buy and sell products. Vtech needs to sell product that work so we as consumers are not wasting our time and money and dissappointing our children

How do I know I can trust these reviews about VTech?

Original review: Feb. 1, 2007

My 2 year old daughter was choking on a little orange rubber piece used to cover the screws on the bottom of the game and on the bottom of the joystick. Luckily I was able to dig it out of her throat with my finger when she starting coughing funny. It was sticky too from the back of it. After I got it out she said eat eat. It does look like a piece of candy. I had to figure out where it came from so I started with everything orange. THIS IS A CHOKING HAZARD AND NEEDS TO BE KNOWN TO OTHERS.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2005

My 14 month old son was playing with a vtech toy (Discovery Nursery Farm) while doing so he got his middle finger wedged in a part of the toy. It was very stuck and he endured a lot of pain to get it loose. Now it is badly bruised. I would like this toy recalled. It is not safe for little fingers to play with it.

No economic damage was done as a result, however, my toddler did receive a badly bruised finger and the trama from the event itself.

VTech Company Information