Vtech

Compare Children's Toys

Research top Children's Toys recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

My daughter loves her Vtech Fly and Learn Globe. I honestly can say, it's a very good learning musical toy for toddlers. It's a bit expensive, but kids will enjoy playing with it. It gives my daughter an idea of the world she lives in (though in a very tiny nutshell... ha ha). My daughter likes the sounds that the animals from different continents/countries make. She likes mimicking the hyena, giraffe and the elephants. (Ahhh... I can imagine her doing it again. Ha ha.) She likes the narrations plus the music distinguishing the countries that are featured in the globe. In fact, she calls the globe "North America" (She says, "Mommy, where's North America?" and then sings the musical for North Am.) because she likes the musical associated with North America.

She absolutely loves playing with it until the steering thingy (as shown in pictures) broke. (I wish they can find a better way to make this thing sturdier, however, this kind of toy might be obsolete sometime in the future.) My daughter's toy globe is 3 years old, same as her, and it has served its purpose... Though it's still working, we just need to be very careful with the navigation. My daughter still plays with it from time to time.

I placed an order on 10/27 for my twin boys, it came incomplete and since then have been dealing with incompetent customer service who does not help me or respond my questions. My order is still not complete. No word on a resolution or course of action. Worst customer service ever, worst experience. Do not buy from them!

Bought a Learn and Spin Top for my son's birthday. When we opened it to play with it, it did not work. Replaced batteries, it still was inoperable. I wrote to VTECH warranty, included all information I just shared and got a response telling me to replace the batteries. After writing back to advise that as stated, I had already tried replacing the batteries, the toy still did not work. I was then asked for pictures, I provided that. I was then told they needed my physical address to email me a return letter. Ok... made no sense so I asked if they meant a return label.

I am now three more emails in and all I keep hearing is I will get a return letter and then I am to send them this useless hunk of plastic and wait till they get it for a replacement to be sent. Seems a little inconvenient for a $15 toy but if that's their policy, I'll adhere. However, after numerous emails and a week later, I still have no "return letter" whatever that is (never got an answer on what exactly that is). I would choose products other than Vtech because their customer service is very hard to understand and seems to lack customer empathy.

Bought an innovative tab for both kids, innovative tab 3. After a month or less kept turning off and on by itself, uses endless batteries. Not buying anything else Vtech for a while. Waste of money and 2 pissed off kids. Save your money people. I always buy things with good reviews.

I bought Cora for my granddaughter. I have Violet from Leap Frog for the first granddaughter and she loved her but I wanted something different but like it. CORA was advertised saying you could personalize and add downloads. WELL, the downloads do not work. It just sits there under PC. There is no way to contact VTECH. The emails go nowhere. So frustrating. The batteries seem to go crazy very fast. It just keeps hanging up and blinks on the red heart and beeps continuous. I have a couple of other products from VTECH but I'm going with Leap Frog from here on out. Looks to be a better product.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vtech?

I purchased an Innotab for my 2-year old. I got the Innotab in and installed the Lodge Navigator. When I sync up the Innotab with my computer, I get a response that the "Vtech device is not found. Please connect your Vtech device and try again." The Innotab 2 states that it is connected and the Lodge Navigator even acknowledges that it is connected. I've emailed Vtech twice and spoke with customer service twice. The last time I called (spoke with Mike #** in the Philippines), I was told that it was a software bug and would be resolved in the next update in the next few months. When I asked for a refund (since I only purchased 6 days ago), I was told I would need to write a letter to Vtech.

When I asked for a manager, he said there was no manager on the floor. He placed me on hold two different occasions to look for a manager and each time said there was not one there and there was no one else of authority who could assist me. At this point, there was nothing else he could do but to have a manager call me. Really, I have an Innotab 2 that cannot be used because I cannot download the apps I purchased. Now I have to go out and spend more money to purchase a Leap Pad 2. I should have bought a Leap Pad to begin with.

I purchased 5 Vtech Innotabs for my grandchildren not less than a year ago and VTech is already coming out with an InnoTab 2 complete with camera and video. Great ideal seeing how the LeapPad tablet already has these features. I guess they are trying to keep up with the competition. I contacted Vtech and asked if they would give a discount to pre-existing customers who already purchased the original Innotab not less than a year ago. The reply was no discounts to newly launched items, it is against the policy. So much for trying to keep existing customers happy. I have already spent a pretty penny on the original Innotab and purchased numerous games as well.

Vtech needs to rethink their policy and concentrate on trying to keep existing customers and make a product right the first time around. I hope this time, they will include an adapter because the battery life on this product is unacceptable. Also, take note from the LeapPad and attach the stylus to the product. Keep in mind that the product is for children and if the stylus is attached, the item can't be lost. One of my grandchildren dropped the stylus and I have been trying to get another, but no luck there either. Before I buy the InnoTab 2, I will convert to LeapPad and take the loss.

I bought the InnoTab in January 2012 for my child's 4th birthday. When it came, it didn't have a stylus with it so I had to call up and arrange one to be sent to me. Now only after 4 months, the screen has broken and my child is unable to use it at all! As the InnoTab has been designed for kids aged 4 to 9, I would have thought it would be made much better. My child didn't drop it or misuse it in anyway as she is very good with her toys. She just got a little frustrated with the batteries going flat (yet again) and tapped the stylus on the screen to make it work and the screen smashed.

I now have a very unhappy 4-year old and I am over $120.00 out of pocket! Well, I have your attention. I would also like to point out my disappointment on the fact that it didn't come with an adapter so every two days, I am paying $5 to replace the batteries. My daughter loves her InnoTab and plays on it everyday, so I feel very let down by a big company that has been entertaining children for years. Even though I have been buying Vtech products for years, I don't think I'll bother in the future as they are not cheap and don't seem to last 5 minutes!

I purchased the VTech Movie Magic Digicam and after seven weeks of careful use, it no longer works. I have the receipt and warranty but VTech is acting terribly about replacing it. They refuse to replace it because they say that they only replace the toys they sell on their website. Even though they manufacture the toy and ship it to stores, they refuse to ship one to me. They will only offer me a credit for a different item from the same age group, but the comparable item on the website is $20 more than what I paid. They will neither replace my item nor even offer to let me pay the difference for the comparable item. I cannot believe this is what they consider a warranty and the customer service is terrible.

I received a VSmile for my twin daughters last year for Christmas. However, the girls were only 2, and obviously always needed assistance. We probably played 2 games of the 12-15 I have, and the darn machine just stopped working and the games won't play! Gee! What a slap in the face, a gift that went wrong! My girls loved it, loved to learn, and now that they're at that age and can grasp more, it is very disappointing that they can't play their games because the machine is junk! You try explaining to your children why it just stopped working, the economy stinks, and Santa is broke! And this should have never happened in the first place because we take excellent care of what little we have! Oh, and a response would be nice, VTech execs! Thanks for nothing and my two broken-hearted children!

I was given a set of their VTech phones for my birthday. Phones are a little over a month old. One of the handsets is not operating correctly. Phones are supposed to have a 1 year warranty. The handset needs to be replaced. I called the number provided and spoke to a person in general service. Then, I spoke to a supervisor. They both told me I had to send them a receipt. I sent the warranty card in just like instructed. It has the purchase date on it. I don’t know too many people that ask for the receipt when they get a gift for their birthday.

This is plainly a tactic by this company to get around having to replace defective products that are manufactured in China of all places. I can't even buy spare batteries for the handsets in a store. I have to buy them over the internet from this generic company, and this company should have to honor the warranty and replace any and all defective parts, period! I’m out one of the handsets that came with the gift I received. It’s useless, and the company should be held accountable!

I'm on my second Vtech Vsmile in 6 months, the first one stopped playing half the games we had. The new one worked great!...for 5 minutes, then wouldn't play any games, then after about 20 minutes wouldn't even turn back on. I just bought it, so I went to the store to exchange it.

The new one, out of the box won't play any games except Dora, not even the one it came with! Complete peice of junk, it you google "problems with Vsmile" you will never ever buy one of these!

bought 3 pink vtechs for all three of my daughters. they didnt work. sent them back to be replaced. got them and they still didnt work. i am lodging a full complaint on this company to get all of my money back asap. what a joke. this sysytem is an supposdly they are award winning. yea right not on this planet

i paid so far over 2000 for 3 systems and the games batteries and the adapters. i am very mad and my daughters are heartbroken over this

All I wanted to know is if I can get an extra handset. Emailed them twice & NEVER received a response. Guess they don't want the business.

I purchased the Vtech Dora TV globe for my daughter for Christmas. Gift was purchased back in August from Toys R Us. Christmas afternoon when we tried to hook the toy up and play with it it would not work. At all. Nothing. I called the 1800 number to see if they could help me get the toy to work and the representative had me on the phone doing the most ridiculas problem solving I have ever heard of. End result: Nothing worked.

They said that I could ship the toy back to them at my expense and also for me to include insurance when sending it back and that they would replace it. Ha! What a joke! I have already paid for the toy once, why should I have to pay for a non-working product to be shipped back...I am the customer! Should'nt Vtech pay for that? So I decided to go another route and take it back to Toys R Us. They wouldn't take the toy back because it had been purchased more than 90 days before, so here I am with a toy that doesn't work and nothing I can do about it. Anybody who wants to purchase a Vtech product BEWARE it is likely that it will not work and you will be stuck with a defective product!

I purchased the Vtech Dora TV globe for my daughter for Christmas. Gift was purchased back in August from Toys R Us. Christmas afternoon when we tried to hook the toy up and play with it it would not work. At all. Nothing. I called the 1800 number to see if they could help me get the toy to work and the representative had me on the phone doing the most ridiculas "problem solving" I have ever heard of. End result: Nothing worked. They said that I could ship the toy back to them at my expense and also for me to include insurance when sending it back and that they would replace it.

I purchased a VTech baby cellphone at Khol's which was a Christmas gift for my 6mo old niece. Not even a week since I gave her the gift and I was informed that the toy had a major defect that could have been life threatning to the baby! I was informed that the toy felt hot to the touch so it was taken away from my niece and given a rest to cool off. The following day my Brother went to get the toy and found that it was leaking a liquid,when he picked up the cellphone it was determined that the battery from the toy cellphone had leaked acid.

The liquid/acid had eaten away at the surface of the baby's changing table where it had been placed to cool-off but may have caused more severe damage or potentially life threatning to my baby niece!!!!

I purchased a VTech cordless phone with answering machine from I thought Amazon.com not realizing I was actually buying it from ANTOnline.com. I received the phone on Aug 5, 2008 and installed it according to the directions. The next day I discovered only the answering machine worked and the phone did not so I contacted Amazon.com and they emailed me the phone number of what I thought was AntOnline. It turned out instead to be VTech so customer support told me to try a variety of things with the phone which I already had done according to the troubleshooting guide.

VTech came to the conclusion the phone was defective and I could return it to them and pay postage but getting another phone or my money became very complicated so my other option was to directly deal with Antonline who I purchased the phone from. I called them and explained everything. They told me I would be responsible for the shipping cost (about $7.00 or $8.00) on top of what I had already payed for the phone plus the original shipping.

I could understand a consumer paying return shipping if the consumer just didn't like the phone but this phone was defective. It does not work and that is how I received it. The company sent it to me broken. Why should I have to pay return shipping on something that the only reason I'm returning it is because it does not work. I would gladly take a replacement phone as I happen to like the phone. The only address I have for the company is the returns dept. listed above. They sent me an email with a return number but if I don't return the item within 10 days the number becomes invalid so I will not be able to return it period. I still have a brand new phone that does not work and it seems my only option is to basically either keep it and lose my money totally or pay the additional return costs even though I am not at fault because it was defective when I received it.

We purchased the cool, high-tech VTech phones (model #i5871) last year. They were state-of-the-art & we were happy with them for the most part, although they didn't have quite the amount of features we were hoping for....they did impress us in other ways. About 3 months ago, we started experiencing problems with the phone. We would get a call & the phone would cut out in the middle of the call & the handset screen would say, Searching for base.

The problem would occur infrequently. Then it started happening more & more & the problem would get progressively worse to the point where we couldn't even make a phone call without it cutting out immediately. We tried different techniques to resolve the problem. Moving the base, getting new batteries, re-registering the handsets...nothing worked. I got so frustrated one night when my daughter fell down while playing upstairs, I tried to make a phone call, the phone wouldn't work, I grabbed another handset...same problem, so I had to use my cell phone which was almost dead as well & luckily I was able to make the phone call.

I went online & got in touch with customer service for VTech who suggested the same resolutions that I had already tried, then when I called back to tell them that the suggestions didn't solve the problems, they told me that it must be my phone line or some operator error & that the phone does not have any problems with it. I was so upset for having spent almost $200 on this set of phones with the VTech reputation to back them up only for them to crap out a year later, right after their warranty expires.

Sounds like there are a lot of consumer complaints dealing with this very same issue with this very same model of VTech phones. Seems VTech doesn't really care about what kind of product they put out there. And with the kind of feedback we are getting from their customer service, they have no intention of trying to resolve the common complaint. We thought those phones would be the last ones we would have to purchase for a while, that is...unless our tastes changed or ones that looked much cooler came out! Unfortunately we had to purchase new phones for the household & this time we stayed clear away from VTech. We purchased a brand we can definitely trust this time...Panasonic!

Roughly $200, which is the cost of the base unit & 2 extra handsets.

I bought the write and smart board which is wupposed to help my child to write. I t does not work the product is defective and they say it is my problem not theirs so I need to spend more money and shipp it to them .I have been on the phone with them for an hour they cannot resolve it, nor will they allow me to speak to their manager. I have no choice but hope that the consumer affairs can protect the consumer to hold big companies accountable for their product..

It has made to show that vtech toys has no customer service and most of its toys will stop working after the 90 day..AS a consumer who trust that big companies will test their product before they put it in market. It also is frustrating that we cannot trust the honor system with which we buy and sell products. Vtech needs to sell product that work so we as consumers are not wasting our time and money and dissappointing our children

My 2 year old daughter was choking on a little orange rubber piece used to cover the screws on the bottom of the game and on the bottom of the joystick. Luckily I was able to dig it out of her throat with my finger when she starting coughing funny. It was sticky too from the back of it. After I got it out she said eat eat. It does look like a piece of candy. I had to figure out where it came from so I started with everything orange. THIS IS A CHOKING HAZARD AND NEEDS TO BE KNOWN TO OTHERS.

My 14 month old son was playing with a vtech toy (Discovery Nursery Farm) while doing so he got his middle finger wedged in a part of the toy. It was very stuck and he endured a lot of pain to get it loose. Now it is badly bruised. I would like this toy recalled. It is not safe for little fingers to play with it.

No economic damage was done as a result, however, my toddler did receive a badly bruised finger and the trama from the event itself.

Vtech Toy Phones Company Profile