3.6/5 (2673 ratings)

About Vonage

Make and receive calls using your home phone service anywhere you use a smartphone, know who’s calling your home number. Different from call forwarding, this new functionality allows shared use of a family’s home phone identity. Calls made to the home phone number will now ring on mobile phones at the same time so anyone in the household can immediately take important calls from doctors, children’s schools, home improvement professionals, friends and family. Gives you a second identity on your mobile phone and more control over when, how and where you communicate. HomePhone. Anywhere.

Vonage Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vonage?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vonage?

Original review: Sept. 10, 2022

I have had Vonage for my business 7 years now and, basically, they forced me to switch. First of all in all these years, the price has stayed the same, despite there being many VoIP telephone alternatives, the terrible Vonage user interface, and improvements in technology. Second, every time I leave my credit card on file with them, the card was compromised (always used at a Wal-Mart in Georgia), so I had to go on "check pay". Easy enough, right? No. They email the bill on the 7th, net 10; meaning, if the check is not mailed on the 8th, the payment is not posted on time on the 17th. On the 17th they start with the collection calls and on the 18th, they disconnect service. On a business account? Calls to them, I might as be shouting in a well. My solution? Just mail the monthly payment before the bill arrives.

Last month, since for an unexplained reason the month amount varies, there was a $13 balance. My business was shut off with no notice. I had to add my credit card to pay the $13. Then, when I tried to switch back to check pay, they told me after all of these years that I was not eligible - sorry. Finally, my cc was just compromised again. I give up. Switching is never fun, but I can't endure the abuse... Particularly if there's nothing redeeming about these people in understanding that I am not a criminal - the people stealing my credit cards out of their system are.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2022

I signed up for Vonage and made it clear that I required integration with my crm, from the beginning or I could not use the services. Signed up- resulted in them not being able to integrate with my crm, after 2 days of trying with tech support, I cancelled (had to speak with 5 people to get this done and confirmations of $0 fee.) - Now, 1 month later, after never using the services they sent me to collections. Called Vonage and was told by a supervisor- "nothing we can do", even after verifying all of my conversations and records with their company. Worst decision I made, after having them for 2 days and never being able to use their services now I am dealing with collections to prove the charge is invalid and they are NO HELP.

Get buying tips about VoIP Internet Phone Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2022

I switched my company over to Vonage in hopes of fixing some of the minor issues we had with another carrier. Biggest mistake EVER! We have had service for 11 days and it is not working properly, have had 7-10 different techs working on issues and none of them seem to know what the other has done. Half my callers get a message of "this call can not be completed as dialed" some get the "this number has been disconnected" and a few actually get through, the answer I receive from Vonage you ask? "It works when I call" 11 days 4-6 hours a day on chats or calls and still no solution? Don't ask to talk to someone higher than the techs because that is not an option... don't bother with sales they don't call you back.

Vonage is nothing more than a joke. I do have to say I have had two yes two men that really did try to help, but after 4 hours on the phone with each of them the service is still a failure! Really sad that they think the solution to every issue is uninstall and reinstall the app. 11 times in one day is a little ridiculous to me, but what do I know I am just the consumer.

Original review: July 20, 2022

I am an attorney and business owner and frankly, this has been the absolute worst professional and personal experience of my life with regard to a company for services. For two years, I was unable to get one human being to respond to my requests regarding legitimate issues with voice quality, equipment, loss of voicemails, spam calls, and overall quality of service. Each time I tried to chat online, email, call, representatives treated me as if I was a criminal. Requests to have supervisors call back were wholly ignored. No call backs were made despite repeated requests to get assistance. It got to the point that I experienced fear in calling the company knowing I would waste hours and get no response.

In the past week, I called four times to attempt to cancel my service when an increase in fees was made without my knowledge for the past 6 months. I was stone-walled each time and demeaned and representatives refused to assist me. I had to revert to reaching out to Mr. Jason Fowler, VP of Enterprise Sales, America with Vonage on LinkedIn as I realized that after two years, no one in this company was going to assist me and I was told I would have the head of customer service contact me. Not only did this individual, Mr. James **, not identify himself as such when he did call me, but he demeaned me immediately and took an argumentative stance not even considering what the consumer had gone through for two years and even called into question my integrity and the validity of my complaints.

Mr. Fowler was the only one who attempted to assist me in any way at all or even acknowledge the fact that there may have been legitimate issues that needed addressing. I felt demeaned and insulted in addition to being called a liar by every single representative and they literally made me jump through hoops for a week to try and cancel my services. Not only was I questioned when I requested a refund for some time and to have my issues addressed and the cancellation back dated as it took repeated attempts over the span of days to get the service cancelled, but I was lectured by Mr. Ransom as to how I should have spoken to him and how I must produce evidence and mocked me indirectly with legal terminology. This is no way for a company to treat a long term business client or any human being who pays them faithfully for services that support their livelihood.

No paying client with legitimate issues with defective service and equipment should be treated this way. I will be reporting them to the Better Business Bureau as I do not want anyone else to be treated this way for paying high premiums with the worst customer service and a complete lack of concern and genuineness towards those that pay their company. Thanking you.

Original review: July 20, 2022

After reading a number of comments regarding Vonage Residential telephone service hoping to find solutions to my problems, I found I was not that special in that my problems were far from unique and that none of the comments offered fixes other than switch to another provider, leading me to believe their problems were never fixed.

My Vonage problems were the same or similar to those described by: *Cecilia of Sussex, NJ, June 30, 2022- "...calls would either disconnect or a sound like a click would sound and then nothing, the call dropped.." *Olga of Beverly Hills, CA, April 9, 2022- "...I have not been receiving some of the incoming calls. And about 2 weeks ago I stopped receiving any. All of the Incoming calls show up in my Vonage on-line log as a few-seconds-long calls, but they are NOT coming to my phone." *Renee of Cleveland, OH, Feb. 3, 2021- "The phone does not ring; it goes straight to voicemail." *Jagpal of Herndon, VA, Aug. 2, 2020- "...my calls started dropping after 4 to 10 minutes..." *Jeff of Stanfield, NC, July 14, 2020- "...when I would get a call, at exactly 10 minutes the line goes silent on both ends. The line does not disconnect, it just goes silent on both ends and neither party can hear anything. Line stays connected until someone hangs up."

I have had Vonage single land-line residential for about 15 years. Continuing problems include- *Calling from NW Indiana to the northern San Francisco Bay/Sacramento area, calls to various numbers often had an echo and/ or are very choppy. This problem seems to have improved somewhat in the last year or two. Other areas would sometimes sound choppy, too; reconnecting often fixed the problem, especially to areas other than to the far west. Calls to/from Australia did not have this problem. Local calls rarely had this problem.

*Calls made, particularly west of Indiana, would often get a busy signal but too fast for the system to have even tried the phone on the other end. I learned that redialing immediately, more often than not, the call would go through. It seems like the local receiving exchange needed to be awakened. Other times, and fairly often at that, an "all lines are temporarily busy" was played, as if this was a third world country. So for many out of area calls, I assume I will have to dial the number at least twice to get through. *Long duration calls would usually disconnect after 45 to 60 minutes, regardless of location of the other caller. Reconnect and repeat the disconnect after the 45-60 min.

*In the last 2 weeks, a number is called and the line just goes dead. Other times, the line is answered but within a few seconds, I cannot hear the other party or the audio is very choppy and then no audio for maybe 30 seconds, and then, audio again. And hanging up does not work unless the other party has hung up, too. Reporting this to Vonage, the Vonage bot says push "1" for...push "2" for..?; Later, enter your PID then about 2 seconds later a full volume, ear shattering tone, enter the code, it ignores that and endlessly repeats this sequence. A sort of tech person was finally reached and of course, I could not hear the person after a few seconds but was apparently still connected. *Calls would often not ring and would go directly to voice messaging even though the line was not in use.

At this point, I have concluded Vonage will not/cannot be fixed. I am losing too much time, money and patience dealing with the ineptitude of Vonage. Vonage does not even have the courtesy to post a valid customer service telephone number nor does it online chat work, (Win 7/Win 10, Chrome or Firefox). Conclusion - Vonage does not care about its customers. Ericsson can do better than purchasing Vonage.

Another gripe - Vonage residential phone service is advertised at a low price, but more than doubles with its fees that Vonage wants customers to believe are all Gov't mandated. Some of these adders are mandated, but Vonage takes what should be, for example, a $0.10 gov't fee and charges customers $0.20. In 2007, Vonage had to start paying a 5.5% royalty to Verizon for all sales for patent infringement, but Vonage charges customers far more than that.

Following is a cut and past from Wikipedia/Vonage article on the outcome of several lawsuits lost by Vonage that address a number of the complaints logged in with "Consumer Affairs." **1... Customers can transfer an existing number to Vonage, which can take up to 7 to 10 business days from the time the customer completes the Number Transfer Authorization (NTA).[80]. On March 8, 2007, a jury found Vonage liable for infringing three patents held by Verizon, and but found no infringement as to two other patents. The jury returned a verdict against Vonage for $58 million and included a royalty rate of 5.5% of every sale to a Vonage customer to Verizon.

In November 2009, Vonage agreed to an assurance of voluntary compliance (AVC) with 32 states. The settlement followed an investigation into complaints about the marketing of Vonage services, including confusion about availability and cost, along with advertisements involving "free" services, money back guarantees and trial periods. The consumer protection agreement also addressed complaints that some consumers were prevented from canceling the Vonage service.

In the settlement, Vonage agreed to pay the seven investigating states $3 million for costs, issue refunds to complainants dating back to January 2004, and change several business practices in regard to advertising and customer retention.[63][64]. Usage is generally referred to as "unlimited", though Vonage has different national "fair use" policies limiting Vonage-to-phone calls to a few thousand minutes per month in the UK,[77] Canada,[78] and U.S.[79] Evidence suggests that calls are limited to a length of 3 hours and 56 minutes.

Original review: June 30, 2022

I recently cancelled this service which I had for years. In the beginning it was great but for an average of 2 years the service got from bad to worse. I enrolled to make international phone calls to my grandmother, believe it or not our conversations would easily last longer than an hour. Anyhow, I started to notice that the calls would either disconnect or a sound like a click would sound and then nothing, the call dropped. So this issue was progressing meaning from an hour, now the call would drop 50 minutes in and so on and so forth.

I called Customer Service and as is usual they told me to disconnect, reconnect, reset the device and they would do on their part the same and well it did not fix the issue but instead the calls would drop at the 25 minutes mark. Due to my schedule I was unable to call again and again to Vonage. Fast forward this last month, I was unable to receive any local calls, the line would sound busy, it would go straight to voicemail, and I thought my kid was using it but one night on my way to work I call my house from the driveway cause I forgot my glasses inside and I could see my kid watching TV, my husband on the computer which was next to the phone and on my end the phone never rang but went to voicemail and in the house the phone did not rang neither the answer machine went off. So at this point I got frustrated and very angry.

I had been trying to reach my grandmother for months and the phone would only ring but my uncle who has att would call the someone in her house would pick up and I assumed it was my grand's phone but did not crossed my mind it was mine. Last week my kid went to the doctor and we were waiting the call from the doctor's office with results that never came so a couple of days later when she got sick again we visited the doctor's office and we were told that they call the house several times and there would be nothing on the other side of the call or the phone would ring but no one would pick up. Then I realized that this phone stopped working long ago and we havent noticed.

I called customer service and an agent came clean and told me that the whole reset thing never works, it doesn't fix anything and they had no power to fix anything other than give tickets for customer to escalate their "cases". I was promised a call from a supervisor that never call, again I contacted them and I was put on hold and then they disconnected. Another call and another agent telling me that the manager would call me to fix this and nothing happened. Finally one Akshaya Y. from the Customer "Care" department sent me an email offering a discount of 20% for the past 6 months for the inconvenience basically a refund of a month payment.

At this point I was fuming and I ask for the manager and she reply that no manager is authorized to contact customer or make phone calls directly. I told her that I would report Vonage (at this point I cancelled my account the day before) and she sent me an email stating that there would be no refund at all cause they do not refund to closed accounts and wished me the best. This is how my relationship with Vonage ended and years of paying for a poor service and awful Customer service, no solution and no refund. Beware, once you enroll and issues arise no one fix them and no one cares.

Original review: June 22, 2022

I ordered the wireless home phone and paid extra for faster shipping. It's been over 2 weeks and I still have not received my router. So I cancelled and I'm now waiting for three refund which probably won't include them shipping I never got.

Original review: June 8, 2022

This company has outsourced customer support and all of the support technicians are poorly trained, read scripts prewritten and don't understand anything you try to explain to them. Even worse you can't understand too much of what they say to you. When calling you will wait an hour or so to go through the worst experience you can imagine. The web page for your account is equally as bad. This is one lousy company and I won't ever again do business with them. If only there was an option for ZERO stars.

Original review: May 2, 2022

A few days ago I received a statement from Vonage saying that they billed my credit card an extra $17.00. A few days later I got my regular statement that said my credit card was billed an additional $92.70. My regular bill is around $46.00. I was told by their billing department it was for extra lines (or some other lame excuse which I didn't order). It's impossible for the average man to decipher all the fees and charges on a telephone statement. All this for forwarding my landline to my cell phone. I've decided to discontinue Vonage.

Original review: April 9, 2022

I have Vonage VoIP Residential Service for my home phone line. For over a month I have not been receiving some of the incoming calls. And about 2 weeks ago I stopped receiving any. All of the Incoming calls show up in my Vonage on-line log as a few-seconds-long calls, but they are NOT coming to my phone. I tried setting up call forwarding to another phone using Vonage website, but it is NOT working either. I've been calling Vonage continuously. Turned out there is NO Customer Service available via Phone. NONE of the Phone numbers listed on Vonage websites is functional - there are no people on the other end, just the recording.

I finally was able to contact Vonage via Chat on April 5, 2022. After staring at the chat window for 30 min I finally got in touch with a guy who asked me to reset the Vonage Device. I did, all to no avail. The guy assured me that someone from Tech Support would contact me via email to resolve the issue. I was assigned a Case ID **. It is April 9 today, yet NOBODY has contacted me. Meanwhile I am missing many important phone calls related to my work - this is unacceptable! Turns out Vonage Customer Service and Tech Support are NON-EXISTENT! Here is the site where REAL Vonage Customers file their complaints and more than half of them do NOT get any assistance at all: **. What a shame!

Vonage author review by Ellen Muraskin

An industry-leading provider of telecommunications services, Vonage offers a complete range of VoIP solutions for home, business and on the go.​

• Business packages: First known for their residential service, Vonage offers a robust suite of small business services, including contact center, video conferencing and CRM integration.

• Unified communications: Unified communications across Vonage's private, managed MPLS network ensures quality audio and no dropped calls.

• Discounts: By signing up for a one-year contract, users can enjoy annual contract discounts.

• MobileConnect: Vonage’s MobileConnect app links your business extension to your mobile device, letting you make mobile calls through your Vonage Business phone service.

• Free calls to landlines and mobile phones: Calling is free to landlines in more than 60 countries and to mobile phones in 10. Rates to other countries are competitive with other VoIP providers and are based on calling plan.

by Ellen Muraskin VoIP Advisor

Ellen Muraskin has been writing about telecom and IT since 1993 when she joined the marketing department of Dialogic. In 1996 she joined the editorial staff of CMP’s Computer Telephony Magazine, rising to Executive Editor before joining Ziff Davis Media to launch the VoIP topic center of their eweek.com site. She served as senior copywriter for IT infrastructure company Raritan and has written and edited for several publications.

Vonage Company Information