Call toll free
2.52/5
Based on 63 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Make and receive calls using your home phone service anywhere you use a smartphone, know who’s calling your home number. Different from call forwarding, this new functionality allows shared use of a family’s home phone identity. Calls made to the home phone number will now ring on mobile phones at the same time so anyone in the household can immediately take important calls from doctors, children’s schools, home improvement professionals, friends and family. Gives you a second identity on your mobile phone and more control over when, how and where you communicate. HomePhone. Anywhere.

Vonage Video
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

2194 Vonage Consumer Reviews and Complaints

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

I called two weeks ago to take the voice message out as I was not receiving any calls. My phone was half dead. I could call out, but my phone would not ring. I did not set-up a voice message box. I had no password, or know anything about it. Then they raised the price of phone rates. Since I could not receive important phone calls. I got me a new phone provider. They installed a new line, and same phone number. Vonage would not release my telephone number even after I cancel Vonage. Awful service. 3 days later I am still not receiving calls, and Vonage is still taking the message which I have to check them with my computer. Why are you punishing me? Do I have to file a Govt. complaint so you can release my telephone number. My phone is dead. Yes I cancel you on my credit card. You been fired.

Get expert buying tips about VoIP Internet Phone Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2018

I have been a Vonage customer since 2006!! They are everything they said and more. My service is excellent. No issues. When I have a need to contact their customer service, they have resolved my issue in a professional and courteous manner. Why would you not want Vonage. More than "fair" pricing and steady service.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

As a Vonage customer, they send me emails all the time asking for referrals in order to get new customers. They also advertise that if you refer someone who actually signs up, you both will get a $50 gift card, as a reward. I referred my sister. She signed up and is now a customer. Neither of us ever got our gift card and when I called to inquire about it, they “don’t have any information about a referral in my account”. How convenient, right? What a scam. I will never refer Vonage again. They are a joke and very dishonest in how they treat customers.

Resolution response: July 25, 2018

Vonage reached out to me recently and provided the refund I requested. I only wish I didn’t have to jump through hoops to make it happen.

Original review: July 24, 2018

Definitely be prepared for bad connections and dropped calls! When it worked it was great, when it didn't work it was a pain in the butt. I called recently to cancel and they wouldn't even provide a refund for the full month of service that I paid for. I am definitely not a satisfied customer!

Original review: July 24, 2018

I have Vonage for a year now and I have been using their phone and fax. It used to be ok. Not perfect, but tolerable, same as everything else. In the past months, I have been having problem with the fax, I haven't been receiving my faxes and the recipient is not receiving my faxes or is terribly delayed. I finally got fed up because I'm losing business because of it, so I called the tech support. The person tried to help by reconfiguring my Gmail setting, which obviously didn't work. He said he would escalate my case.

I received a call today, accdg to this person, he was told and instructed that the Gmail is at fault, and that I should deal with Gmail. My GMAIL is working fine. It's the faxing out and receiving that is the problem. They WON'T even give refund or anything with the business I lost, with the time wasted dealing with them, and for the service I am paying for, but is not working!!! Called GMAIL, of course, they said it's Vonage because the Fax service is VONAGE!!! They will try to get away with anything and blame others for their mistake and problem!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vonage?

Original review: July 23, 2018

I took Vonage connection to call India. The signal quality was not that great while I was driving. Hence went ahead and cancelled the connection within 19 days of time. While I was taking connection I asked again. Checked with Customer care representative in chat if India calling feature is enabled in my plan (and yes is the answer) and also I will get a full refund if I cancel the connection within 30 days.

But when I cancelled in 19 days, I had surprise. I was told, the India calling was not enabled in the plan I had chosen and there was a additional 80+ $ bill was charged for the calls made in 19 days. Even after telling them that, the main reason for my connection was to call India (and not North America;) and also I had it confirmed with Vonage customer representative before and after subscribing for the plan, they were not ready to listen. And account department's rep was adamant that I did not have India calling enabled and nothing that they can do!! Really disappointed with this loot that Vonage did to me.

Original review: July 18, 2018

Very courteous and friendly staff. When I call the staff is willing to help me. They are patient and never in a hurry. They make me feel important. The call quality is very clear. The price is reasonable. The calls to India is free.

Original review: July 16, 2018

Great service every time and I am happy for it. Also, Vonage employees are very nice and kindly. As a result, I did not need to call you because of your valuable phone service. I know you will continue giving us your best. Thank you.

Original review: July 16, 2018

Good service, I have been a customer many years and will keep. Sometimes the service is interrupted and cuts the calls. I will have to be calling again the same person. I call a lot to different countries.

Original review: July 14, 2018

Has been a customer for more than 6 years but still have to struggle and haggle around with getting the best price deal for long term. That's really frustrating and annoying. I am looking for other options than Vonage. I will switch to other VOIP phone service provider very soon. I want a hassle free good priced deal for long term where I do not have call every 6 months and get the best deal.

Original review: July 13, 2018

Quality of service is excellent, however pricing has increased to the point where I am currently looking for a new provider. $38.44/mo (including fees and taxes) is a bit much for VoIP, in my opinion. Looking at Ooma Telo for an initial investment of about $59, and free monthly service (premium service is only $10/mo).

Original review: July 13, 2018

Back in December I requested an account I had, which had never been used, to be closed. They convinced me to "Put it on Hold". I was not told that 6 months later they would automatically re-activate it and set me at their highest rate. This is as unscrupulous as it gets. HORRIBLE.

Original review: July 12, 2018

I am moving this month and I called to cancel my service. My bill is paid through the month and they want to charge me $40.00 more to cancel my service. My "contract " is not over until the end of the month. CONTRACT... I never knew anything about. A contract.. I was told that I couldn't cancel until July 26th or they would charge me an extra $40.00. Really. Can they get away with this kind of service? Also, they have been charging me double the price. I was suppose to be paying $9.99 a month. I will be reporting them to the Better Business Bureau and any other agency that will hear my complaints. This is nothing but a ripoff and definitely not what I signed up for.

Original review: July 12, 2018

How would I rate my service with Vonage for the last several years. It has been good. I have not had any issue with the company, but when I referred a customer and was told I and the person I referred would receive a 50.00 dollar gift certificate which we have not received.

Original review: July 12, 2018

I like Vonage because I can maneuver around the website to set and reset all the services Vonage offers. I especially like the Do Not Disturb! Another excellent service are the phone records and voice mail records. I have used this service from time to time searching for a number I needed to locate. I would recommend Vonage to anyone; it's fast and easy and very affordable.

Original review: July 12, 2018

I'd like the customer service there. Quite they are helpful and they are nice. Shipping was a little off. I got the adapter and phones but it took a long time for the phones to come but all in all I like the company.

Original review: July 11, 2018

It says $9.99 but I'm paying $18.98. Why? How did it get from 9.99 to 18.98. Don't know why. Other than that the phone service is good. Glad that you can use call forwarding. And you can read your voice messages.

Original review: July 11, 2018

Great service for international and domestic calling. With the constantly changing telecom landscape, now the national long distance calling is free through all mobile services but the international calling through Vonage is just great quality. The cost is marginally going while there are several avenues opening up for free international calls. It may be worth considering holding the price.

Original review: July 5, 2018

Wondering why I was using this service for long. I realized I have been lazy in moving my service. At this time when many VOIP services are free and very nominal price, Vonage still charge $27.99 (Ouch). When I was trying to cancel today, I still have 21 days left for the current cycle and rep told me they going to charge for the whole month. This is ridiculous. I did not realized until I looked my auto payment credit card. I was in impression I was getting the service for 19.99 with some credit. I could not think that Vonage can ever charge 27.99 for monthly charges and that too with other charges comes around $38.11. I can easily move my service to Ooma with better service for $4.09 monthly.

Original review: June 26, 2018

I am very dissatisfied??? with Vonage. They have dishonest customer service reps crawling around in the most vulnerable population such as low income families and senior citizens offering them services for 9.99 per month and what they dont tell you is that after one year you pay 27.00 plus applicable taxes. They are very dishonest, will tell you that there is no contract and it's a lifetime service for 9.99. It's a lie. Don't get caught!!! When you call the customer service you will get no satisfaction or apology.

They will simply tell you it's not their rep??? So someone comes around offers handsets wearing a Vonage badge and name tag and they dont work for Vonage. Unbelievable!!! That's what I was told by an agent. It's not their rep. Dont be scammed. Make sure you call the customer care and verify before you accept any services. These folks are thieves. They charged my account multiple times and refuse to refund me. Please dont get caught like I did. #makevonagehonestagain

Original review: June 26, 2018

I have been a Vonage customer for 8 years, pretty much without issues. About a year ago I was unable to receive calls from a specific area code within the US. This issue was reported and said to have been fixed. Everlasting couple of months when the person from the 843 area code called me, their call would go to email. Again I called and reported the issue, and as of this date, the issue was not fixed. The tech people were unable to fix the issue and today June 26, I canceled my Vonage service. Please note Vonage also slows down your internet speed, My ISP (provider) gives me 250 Mbps, and when I use my Vonage service the speeds slow to 50-60 Mbps. I have 30 days to port my number, and I will be going to another VoIP service.

Original review: June 26, 2018

After we’ve paid for 1st month trial subscription salesperson NEVER respond us again. Awful customer support on holidays. We’ve tried to close out account several times that long hold waiting on a line and it was closed after almost A WEEK! And after all that they say that not gonna make a refund and there is no trial period so I guess salesperson LIED to us in the beginning! NEVER choose this service for your company. There are so many other services witch are a lot better!

Original review: June 15, 2018

We signed up for Vonage (VoIP System) for our business phones back in January and were given a phone number for our business. We have spent thousands of dollars to market and brand our number over the last 5 months and our customer base has come to know our phone number. Then on Tuesday, June 12th, the phone stopped ringing! Understanding, our business lives and dies with the phone. After 5 months of having the number, Vonage gives it to someone else and all our calls are going to a resident who has no idea why they are getting all these calls for some business! Now Vonage cannot get this mess straighten out and in the meanwhile we have no phone service going on 4 days!!!! Vonage is costing us thousands of dollars for their error and inability to correct their error. They have forced us to seek legal counsel, contact the FCC and go public with their blunder. Needless to say, we will never recommend Vonage services to anyone.

Original review: June 12, 2018

Absolutely HORRIBLE! I signed up with Vonage 05/10/2018 and used it for ONE week. The service and reliability was terrible, calls would drop out, static on every line, and I would miss calls because it would not ring. I go to cancel my service and was told that I could not call in to cancel until a few days before my next charge date. Not only was that super sketchy but it was very inconvenient as well! I call in on 06/04/2018 and had to practically jump through hoops to get my plan canceled. I ask the woman I spoke to THREE TIMES if I would be charged anything else and she assured me I would NOT!!!

Now, it's 06/12/2018 and I'm debating a charge for a call that NEVER happened! My claim against the charge was denied TWICE and I was basically told that there is nothing they can or will do. The only piece of information I received is that they will do better training when it comes to canceling accounts. That is UNACCEPTABLE and I am SO frustrated with Vonage's lack of care for their customers. I do NOT ever recommend this service to ANYBODY, unless you enjoy being screwed over.

Original review: June 1, 2018

Absolutely the worst experience. Do not furnish them your credit card. They will routinely charge your card and you will not be able to get through to cancel the service. My only recourse was to have my credit card company block all future Vonage charges. After reading the glaring negative reviews I decided to cancel the service. They don't have any interest to retain the customers.

Original review: May 18, 2018

We vetted many companies and finally landed on Vonage. It was a terrible decision on our part. Our bill went from $261/month to $531/month in three months because there were temporary discounts which we were intentionally misled by our sales representative Brett ** to be permanent and locked in on the pricing. Also, it is not compatible with most firewalls we had to spend around $1,500 in setup to switch from Ubiquiti to SonicWall. Now we have to drop them and find another provider. Very disappointed.

Original review: May 17, 2018

Negligence does cost because I misunderstood what they were saying to me and I signed the contract. I cancelled the contract within eight hours and they still made me pay the same as if I had taken the order. I can't blame them there because one has to follow contracts and if you don't, you get penalize but that's not the sad part. The service was past terrible from the representative to the manager - I am a stickler for service and I believe if a company can help a customer in any way possible then they should. I had to hold on the phone for a long time. One person did not know what the next person was doing and overall they left a bad taste in my mouth. I wanted my $143.00 back but since they decided not to give it back to me - I understand because one must follow guidelines but I will never come back to them under no circumstances.

Original review: May 15, 2018

I took Vonage because I needed quality international calling. I bought a land line phone for $100 and after the fourth call I decided not to use them anymore and kept on paying. Four months into paying, I decide to call to cancel. Had to go trough a horrible service, calling several times, with people in India or God know where who could not care. I got to the point that I ended up paying a cancellation fee of 121 dollars just to get them off my back... Stay away from this people. Use SKYPE or any other thing that is more honest and committed to customer service.

Original review: May 11, 2018

Customer service hung up on me when I asked to speak with an supervisor. After two hours of speaking with customer service, I gave up. They refunded half of what I was asking for. I still don't believe they understood what I was talking about as the call service center sounded as if it were in India. Very frustrating to talk with people when they speak broken English. The call was over getting a refund on a phone number that was a Globe number. Their system said it wasn't a Globe number, but our relative said it was a Globe number. I also checked Emobile tracker online and the phone number was also verified to be a Globe number. Funny thing was, that a couple days earlier an agent of Vonage said they made an error, and that it was indeed a Globe number. Any agent after that said it wasn't. Very frustrating and terrible customer support. Feels like they're not interested in retaining customers.

Original review: May 11, 2018

My only complaint is that there are no discounts much offered to the West Indian islands. Also please charge the amount quoted instead of changing the amount each month. Otherwise I find that the service has been really worth the amount charged especially when taking into consideration the other offers out there.

Vonage expert review by Ellen Muraskin

An industry-leading provider of telecommunications services, Vonage offers a complete range of VoIP solutions for home, business and on the go.​

• Business packages: First known for their residential service, Vonage offers a robust suite of small business services, including contact center, video conferencing and CRM integration.

• Unified communications: Unified communications across Vonage's private, managed MPLS network ensures quality audio and no dropped calls.

• Discounts: By signing up for a one-year contract, users can enjoy annual contract discounts.

• MobileConnect: Vonage’s MobileConnect app links your business extension to your mobile device, letting you make mobile calls through your Vonage Business phone service.

• Free calls to landlines and mobile phones: Calling is free to landlines in more than 60 countries and to mobile phones in 10. Rates to other countries are competitive with other VoIP providers and are based on calling plan.

• Best for: Residential users, salespeople and small businesses.

Profile picture of Ellen Muraskin
Ellen Muraskin

VoIP Contributing Editor

Ellen Muraskin has been writing about telecom and IT since 1993 when she joined the marketing department of Dialogic. In 1996 she joined the editorial staff of CMP’s Computer Telephony Magazine, rising to Executive Editor before joining Ziff Davis Media to launch the VoIP topic center of their eweek.com site. She served as senior copywriter for IT infrastructure company Raritan and has written and edited for several publications.

Vonage Company Information

Holmdel
NJ
www.vonage.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business