It's that easy Request Information
2.95/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Make and receive calls using your home phone service anywhere you use a smartphone, know who’s calling your home number. Different from call forwarding, this new functionality allows shared use of a family’s home phone identity. Calls made to the home phone number will now ring on mobile phones at the same time so anyone in the household can immediately take important calls from doctors, children’s schools, home improvement professionals, friends and family. Gives you a second identity on your mobile phone and more control over when, how and where you communicate. HomePhone. Anywhere.

Vonage Video
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

2220 Vonage Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

I was thrilled when I first inquired about using Vonage for my Business phone provider. Original representative was fantastic. After that the problems started. They couldn't get my existing line ported over and then when they did it was a week premature and I had no phone service for three days because I wasn't ready with the infrastructure in my building because of they switched providers almost a week ahead of schedule. The time leading up to activation was riddled with various unconnected emails. The left hand did not know what the right hand was doing.

After a scramble to get it set up I realized they were double billing me. Which took at least five phone calls to rectify. Needless to say attempting to get on board with this company had a negative impact on my small business. I run a outpatient mental health service and being without phones is unacceptable. Their call center is useless. There were not any scripted responses for their rep to use that matched my problem so they couldn't do anything for me. Ultimately I called my original sales rep back who couldn't do anything for me. I needed to purchase two additional phones and because I had already become a customer and my service was activated 5 days ago I was unable to purchase additional start up phones at the promotional pricing.

Get expert buying tips about VoIP Internet Phone Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

Had Vonage for 5 months. First 4 months worked great. Month 5 no dial tone. Spent many hours with Tech support and was even sent a new device. Still doesn't work AND they now want to charge a $90 dollar termination fee. Can't get them to cancel the account without the fee even though technical service has said it won't work. Their advertisements say cancel anytime but nothing about a termination fee. Very very difficult to cancel the account. I would give this service less than one star. Buyer beware!

Original review: Oct. 7, 2018

I have been long time customer of Vonage... Past five days for reason unknown my account is disabled. Reason provided fraud alert. Never have I got to speak with a representative. I tried everyday by calling but in vain. No response. I tried to reach them by Chat and they give the same story everyday that someone will reach me within 24-48 hrs. I Wonder how many hours are there in total of 5 completed days and still have not heard. They send me an email with lies saying they are trying to reach me and I should call back to the number they provide and it goes back to the voice. I am being going in circles to put my account back to normal or cancel it for good. I guess they don't like customers who stay long time with them. Anyone out there please help me with your experience.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

I called them to fix the technical issue when I call to India... I don’t know what they are doing there, I can hear they are laughing and chatting each other. They placed my call on hold for more than 5 minutes after the computer recorded answering is done... And I was yelling "hello hello." No response... Could hear the laugh and talk from the other side. Then I hung the call... Again I called but they answer this time. After a 25 minutes call... they said my home phone does have a problem and need to fix it. How come??? I was able to call from my extension phone to India before I purchased the home phone. Feel like Vonage should put some professionals as their technicians. Those people doesn’t know anything...

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

I am more than 10 years customer. I am happy with service. Hope you start service for Internet also. I also contacted customer service for deal of the year and they helped me. So if you have special deal 9.99 monthly (was once) please contact or email me I will appreciate. Thanks.

Vonage response

Great feedback Ritesh! We genuinely appreciate and value your opinion. We’re glad to hear that you’re happy with our service!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vonage?

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

This is the best service for all who want a landline phone, clear as a bell. I have not experienced any statics. Thanks for being there, I am telling others. Being on a low income that's fixed, your service has been a blessing.

Vonage response

Thank you Linda! We appreciate the time you spent to share your feedback! We’re happy to hear we were able to provide the right product at the right price to fulfill your needs.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

I just got off of the phone with one of your useless customer service reps. I woke up this morning to find money missing out of my account that you charged me for a service that I cancelled over a month and a half ago. This money was to pay for my car payment. The customer service rep said there is no record of me canceling and that is not my problem. I asked her to check the history of the line to show her that not one call has been made and I don't use the line and that I will not pay for something that I don't use and for something that I asked to be canceled.

Not to mention, that you people have been trying to debit my account 3 or 4 times a week unsuccessfully because I did not have a job and there was no money in my account. You all got lucky this morning because I got my first paycheck. I need my money back and I need to pay my car payment and I need to be able to take my children to school with my car. I will continue writing, calling and doing whatever it takes to get my point across. Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Yelp, corporate, I don't care. I have plenty of time today.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

I am under no contract. Vonage charged $36.95 this month. This is second day of billing period, I called them and asked to cancel my service and They did. Checked for prorated cancellation, but their policy doesn't support pro rated. They charge for entire month. When I asked to return the deducted money, the service people asked me to hold on line and after few seconds they disconnected me. Called again and this time a new agent. Explained everything. The service person repeated the same. She asked me to hold for a min and within seconds she disconnected me. Vonage should learn how to respect its customers.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

Had problem with phones, called customer service and head for 25 minutes. They had me do several test so they could document the exact problem for the tech people, said he had more than enough examples for them and someone will get back a hold of me. I waited a week and no one called. Tried to use online chat (that was a joke). Called back and held for 30 minutes and was told they had to have more examples of the problem so we did a bunch more test calls and we told any that someone would get a hold of me.

Waited another week and no call so I tried again and after another 20 minute wait I gave the person (that did not speak very good English) the case number and he wanted all my info and what the problem was. I told him that I was told that the case number would tell him everything he needed. He wanted to do more test. I told him if you can figure out what the problem is with all the test you have run by now that you won't by running them a 3 time. I told him that this is the worst customer service that I have ever seen and I told think Vonage has a clue what they are doing and I will be going somewhere else for my IP phones

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

I have been a Vonage customer for years and this is the time I have a problem and they don't want to help. My wife and I have been using the extension while in another country and sometimes at home in Atlanta. Well, this year we have been charged by AT&T for those calls, nor data, but for direct calls, even though we have been making these calls using the extension. I called Vonage CS and they said those calls show as been made using the app with wifi. However, AT&T said the phone registered those calls as direct. I noticed when using the extension this time, it takes you to another number and I think this is the problem. Anyway, the extension is not working and Vonage is not taking any responsibility.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2018

For someone like me who has yet to get a cell phone (!) and really doesn't use my land line phone that much, your service is perfect. It's been years now since I've signed up and can't remember and having any difficulties or problems. Thank you!

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

When I signed up part of the deal was a free set of cordless phones. I did not receive the phones. I contacted them several times. The first time I was told I should have received the phones and that they would reorder the phones for me. The second time I was told the phones had been ordered and I should receive them soon. I never received the phones. I called them a third time and was told that the phones were never ordered and there was nothing they could or would do. Vonage is a dishonest company. They make false advertisements and lie to customers.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

I've used this app for a while now. Calling the US usually works the rest of the countries is a mess, people tell me that they can't hear me properly and I end up using my regular phone and paying the fees. When trying to contact their service department I was referred from one place to another and in the end they ended up giving me a number to call (such an irony, I don't want to call 'cause they won't hear me).

Original review: Aug. 25, 2018

All of my international calls to the same place have always had issues with sound quality or not able to adjust the volume sufficiently for the recipient to hear the conversation without me yelling. The second issue is being barraged by calls not for me. Obviously, someone else had the number and now calls are coming through to me for another person... very annoying!!

Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

We had issues with our phone cutting out. After running a test we found out that we needed to have our internet provider come change some things with our service. After doing this we have not had any issues with our phone. The Vonage rep was polite, professional, and interested in solving our problems when we talked with her on the phone. We are happy with our results.

Vonage response

Thank you for your review! We're thrilled that the issue was resolved and that you've been happy with your service.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

Very pleased. No problems. Would recommend to a friend. Phone is clear and strong. Pricing is excellent and fits my budget very well. I am very pleased thus far with your service. I have no complaints thus far.

Vonage response

Thank you for your feedback! We really appreciate your review and are pleased that you're getting good use out of your Vonage service.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

Everything it is ok. And I have a very quality of service and communication. Particularly, when I am able to contact foreign and local friends and family members, and with them I'm speaking daily or every week. I'm also feel anxious and worried when there is any world incident and Vonage let me call immediately any place in the world to make provide me relief.

Vonage response

We really appreciate you taking the time to review Vonage so favorably. We're so glad to hear that you're able to take advantage of the service whenever, and however you need it.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2018

People say I am cutting out and they have trouble hearing me. However, I believe it’s the fault of my internet service and not your fault. I put up with it because of the price. I can recommend your service that has good internet, but I live in the mountains so wouldn’t necessarily recommend it up here.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2018

I am very happy with Vonage. However, I would like to have the flexibility to block 100 or more numbers. I am getting too many robocalls. If I had that, I wouldn't ask for anything else at this point.

Vonage response

Wonderful feedback Jerome! We truly appreciate and value your opinion. We’re glad to hear that you’re happy with our service and will take your recommendation for increasing our selective call block amount into consideration!

Original review: Aug. 23, 2018

I am very satisfied with the service. I enjoy using Vonage all the time. My family also enjoys the system. I highly recommend this service to every body worldwide. It is a very good and prompt way to communicate with friends and family.

Vonage response

Thank you so much for your positive feedback. We appreciate you taking the time to review Vonage.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2018

Love the service b/c my calls are automatically transferred to my cell when I’m not available. I’m also able to block unwanted calls and voicemails are transcribed. The only negative is when the weather is storming I lose service briefly and some callers complain that they don’t hear me on the first hello.

Vonage response

Thank you Charmaine! We appreciate the time you spent to share your feedback! We’re happy to hear you're taking advantage of some of our features, for more information on other features visit our website at - https://www.vonage.com/personal/features

Original review: Aug. 23, 2018

Called customer service for help to set up cell phone talked to 3 different people had a hard time understanding first operator English. 2nd person gave me wrong information. Asked 3rd person if I can speak to a supervisor he said supervisor is busy their are having party.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2018

I have been pleased with my service and the cost and have recommended Vonage for telephone use. Customer service have been polite, knowledgeable, patient and timely in their response to my concerns. I will continue to recommend your service. Keep up the good work.

Vonage response

Great feedback Harriette! We appreciate and value your opinion very much. We’re glad to hear that you’re happy with our service as well as our hard working customer care team!

Original review: Aug. 23, 2018

I've had Vonage for over a year now, and the service has been great. I've had to call customer service only a few times and both agents were very helpful when I called. The only thing they could've done better, was send me an email when my rate was going to change, but once speaking to the rep they have me an account credit and changed my rate plan.

Vonage response

Belinda! We’re delighted you took the time to provide your positive experience with Vonage! We also appreciate your feedback regarding our notification emails, we will definitely take it in to consideration to help make our customer experience even better!

Original review: Aug. 23, 2018

I always received great customer services from reps. They seem to know their stuff. I am very happy with my service, I even order additional lines. They explain to me in details the process. When I order another line, they told me the cost, when I getting bill plus when I should receive packaged.

Vonage response

Great feedback David! We genuinely appreciate and value your opinion. We’re glad to hear that you’re happy with our service!

Original review: Aug. 22, 2018

Read the small print. We had phone service with Vonage for eight years and we're on the annual prepayment plan. Each year the costs increased, not much, just enough to annoy. This year we found that if we “bundled” with our existing cable and internet service that the phone service was free. We had prepaid ($440) for twelve months on June 13th and canceled our Vonage service on August 21st. On August 22nd, we received a credit from Vonage for 40 cents. When we inquired about the expected nine month refund of $330, we were directed to the “small print” that stated, “If you attempt to opt out of the Annual Prepay Plan more than 45 days after renewal, you will not receive a credit or refund for unused service”. :(

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

I called two weeks ago to take the voice message out as I was not receiving any calls. My phone was half dead. I could call out, but my phone would not ring. I did not set-up a voice message box. I had no password, or know anything about it. Then they raised the price of phone rates. Since I could not receive important phone calls. I got me a new phone provider. They installed a new line, and same phone number. Vonage would not release my telephone number even after I cancel Vonage. Awful service. 3 days later I am still not receiving calls, and Vonage is still taking the message which I have to check them with my computer. Why are you punishing me? Do I have to file a Govt. complaint so you can release my telephone number. My phone is dead. Yes I cancel you on my credit card. You been fired.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

As a Vonage customer, they send me emails all the time asking for referrals in order to get new customers. They also advertise that if you refer someone who actually signs up, you both will get a $50 gift card, as a reward. I referred my sister. She signed up and is now a customer. Neither of us ever got our gift card and when I called to inquire about it, they “don’t have any information about a referral in my account”. How convenient, right? What a scam. I will never refer Vonage again. They are a joke and very dishonest in how they treat customers.

Resolution response: July 25, 2018

Vonage reached out to me recently and provided the refund I requested. I only wish I didn’t have to jump through hoops to make it happen.

Original review: July 24, 2018

Definitely be prepared for bad connections and dropped calls! When it worked it was great, when it didn't work it was a pain in the butt. I called recently to cancel and they wouldn't even provide a refund for the full month of service that I paid for. I am definitely not a satisfied customer!

Original review: July 24, 2018

I have Vonage for a year now and I have been using their phone and fax. It used to be ok. Not perfect, but tolerable, same as everything else. In the past months, I have been having problem with the fax, I haven't been receiving my faxes and the recipient is not receiving my faxes or is terribly delayed. I finally got fed up because I'm losing business because of it, so I called the tech support. The person tried to help by reconfiguring my Gmail setting, which obviously didn't work. He said he would escalate my case.

I received a call today, accdg to this person, he was told and instructed that the Gmail is at fault, and that I should deal with Gmail. My GMAIL is working fine. It's the faxing out and receiving that is the problem. They WON'T even give refund or anything with the business I lost, with the time wasted dealing with them, and for the service I am paying for, but is not working!!! Called GMAIL, of course, they said it's Vonage because the Fax service is VONAGE!!! They will try to get away with anything and blame others for their mistake and problem!!!

Vonage expert review by Ellen Muraskin

An industry-leading provider of telecommunications services, Vonage offers a complete range of VoIP solutions for home, business and on the go.​

• Business packages: First known for their residential service, Vonage offers a robust suite of small business services, including contact center, video conferencing and CRM integration.

• Unified communications: Unified communications across Vonage's private, managed MPLS network ensures quality audio and no dropped calls.

• Discounts: By signing up for a one-year contract, users can enjoy annual contract discounts.

• MobileConnect: Vonage’s MobileConnect app links your business extension to your mobile device, letting you make mobile calls through your Vonage Business phone service.

• Free calls to landlines and mobile phones: Calling is free to landlines in more than 60 countries and to mobile phones in 10. Rates to other countries are competitive with other VoIP providers and are based on calling plan.

• Best for: Residential users, salespeople and small businesses.

Profile picture of Ellen Muraskin
Ellen Muraskin VoIP Contributing Editor

Ellen Muraskin has been writing about telecom and IT since 1993 when she joined the marketing department of Dialogic. In 1996 she joined the editorial staff of CMP’s Computer Telephony Magazine, rising to Executive Editor before joining Ziff Davis Media to launch the VoIP topic center of their eweek.com site. She served as senior copywriter for IT infrastructure company Raritan and has written and edited for several publications.

Vonage Company Information