3.6/5 (506 ratings)

About Vonage

Make and receive calls using your home phone service anywhere you use a smartphone, know who’s calling your home number. Different from call forwarding, this new functionality allows shared use of a family’s home phone identity. Calls made to the home phone number will now ring on mobile phones at the same time so anyone in the household can immediately take important calls from doctors, children’s schools, home improvement professionals, friends and family. Gives you a second identity on your mobile phone and more control over when, how and where you communicate. HomePhone. Anywhere.

Vonage Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vonage?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vonage?

Original review: May 2, 2022

A few days ago I received a statement from Vonage saying that they billed my credit card an extra $17.00. A few days later I got my regular statement that said my credit card was billed an additional $92.70. My regular bill is around $46.00. I was told by their billing department it was for extra lines (or some other lame excuse which I didn't order). It's impossible for the average man to decipher all the fees and charges on a telephone statement. All this for forwarding my landline to my cell phone. I've decided to discontinue Vonage.

Original review: April 9, 2022

I have Vonage VoIP Residential Service for my home phone line. For over a month I have not been receiving some of the incoming calls. And about 2 weeks ago I stopped receiving any. All of the Incoming calls show up in my Vonage on-line log as a few-seconds-long calls, but they are NOT coming to my phone. I tried setting up call forwarding to another phone using Vonage website, but it is NOT working either. I've been calling Vonage continuously. Turned out there is NO Customer Service available via Phone. NONE of the Phone numbers listed on Vonage websites is functional - there are no people on the other end, just the recording.

I finally was able to contact Vonage via Chat on April 5, 2022. After staring at the chat window for 30 min I finally got in touch with a guy who asked me to reset the Vonage Device. I did, all to no avail. The guy assured me that someone from Tech Support would contact me via email to resolve the issue. I was assigned a Case ID **. It is April 9 today, yet NOBODY has contacted me. Meanwhile I am missing many important phone calls related to my work - this is unacceptable! Turns out Vonage Customer Service and Tech Support are NON-EXISTENT! Here is the site where REAL Vonage Customers file their complaints and more than half of them do NOT get any assistance at all: **. What a shame!

Get buying tips about VoIP Internet Phone Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 5, 2022

I must be fair, I have used Vonage Home phone service for 12 Years. I normally don't have a problem with their service. However, today was the exception to the rule. They have doubled my bill without notice and charged my account. When attempting to notify them, I receive an operator whose second language is English witch made for difficult communication. I expressed the need for someone who could understand what I needed but was met with anger and disapproval as voiced. I could care less where therefrom as long as I could have my issue resolved. I was placed on hold for 20 minutes then disconnected.

Attempted the Chat tab on website but received no response after 30 minutes. When attempting to end contract on website, the message was, "check back in seven days and talk with a live agent." Very, very disappointed with my service. May this be of help to those choosing a home phone service. I know it seems nostalgic, but a home line is important for me and my grandchildren.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2022

They have been way overcharging her for months 100s of dollars. Hours AND hours of trying to explain their errors. Each call would be explaining the error and then the rep would agree something is wrong and promise a manager would call back after investigating. NOT ONCE did they call back, so you would be stuck in a cycle of calling again and explaining and then they would lie and promise again a manager would call. Now we have finally canceled and they almost gave my mom a heart attack when she was shocked to see collections was after her for about $100 and they actually owe her at least $500. Ridiculous that a business like this can take advantage of the elderly! Now we have to deal with headaches of dealing with collections! Unbelievable!

Original review: Feb. 11, 2022

Do not use them. This is a scam. I have a business and for 3 days our line is not working. They use my credit card to pay the bill. This is a fraud. No one answer the phone. Someone from India called me and he told me "I don't know what to tell you!" I lost clients because of this scam.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2022

DISPUTE THESE UNAUTHORIZED CHARGES TO

11/08/2020 $26.87 Payment Successful
    10/08/2020 $26.87 Payment Successful
    09/08/2020 $26.81 Payment Successful

08/08/2020 $26.63 Payment Successful

Up until April, I paid 26.00 / dollars per month for my previous plan. No changes on my part, and no promotion. From May 2021 to November 2021, Vonage started charging me 47.00 dollars per month after I set up automatic payments with my bank not realizing the unauthorized charges. From May/21 through October/21, I was overcharged by 21 dollars for a total of $126.00. I request a review and refund of the OVERCHARGE/OVERPAYMENT. I had tried to reach an agreement with the manager. ELLEN 732 9944 0000. VONAGE directed me to an online support service. Luz ** RN

Original review: Jan. 15, 2022

I have had the most outdated useless customer service experience in a long time. With Covid challenges many Companies are being at least polite and somewhat flexible with their policies. The website does not provide you an option to Cancel your account. You are asked to contact customer service. The representative I spoke to provide 5 different options to change my account to other plans instead of just cancelling my account and asked me to call back in 7 days to confirm. We in my family are all infected with covid one after the other since then and I find that on Jan 13th I'm charged again.

I called them. After 5 attempts the lady says, "I cant refund. Talk to my supervisor." After holding for 45 minutes the supervisor comes online and repeats terms and conditions on the website like a robot. I told her to check my account details - not a single phone call whole of December until now. Why put me on to supervisor who is asking me to read the website. Just provide a cancel option on the website. I could've been done with it in Decmeber. I don't know how many customers they cheat by billing an extra month in the name of cancellation policy. I was on the phone for another hour just to make sure I get an email confirmation so I'm not charged again for the next month.

Customer service should have people that can listen and understand Individual customer concerns and not just read terms and conditions off the webpage. Don't put me on to the supervisor if that is ALL she does as well. Absolute waste of time and I got cheated of my money as well. There are many phone companies like T-Mobile that give me international for an additional 15 dollars a month. For an exorbitant change and unreliable service please don't go with Vonage.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2021

I signed up for my small business to integrate it with my new CRM. I ended up not changing CRMs and didn't need the Vonage account. I had it for 13 days without even using it and wasn’t told it was a year contract. I was under the assumption it was month to month. Even though I didn't make one phone call or use the system, they still charged me $250.00 cancelation fee. This is horrible customer service. I would have even accepted a prorated fee. I will be sure to tell everyone to not do business with Vonage. This has to be one of the worst experiences for me.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2021

The technical service delivered by Vonage was fine, and the price is on par for market... but when it came time to cancel our subscription, it was a nightmare. You can't cancel online (like any modern company) - you have to hunt the internet for a phone number (it doesn't appear on the website), then go through a long, tedious series of menu options... then the system refused to recognize our account number. It seems their customer retention strategy is to make it too tedious and difficult to cancel. Unless you want your grandchildren to remain Vonage customers, find anyone else.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2021

I started with Vocalocity that was bought out by Vonage and I have been with them for years and they were great other than the nickel and diming on everything. Then all of the sudden I needed to add services and program my system with other stuff and I couldn't get them on the phone, so I did the chat thing and asked them to call me, so I can explain what I needed and they told me that they don't use phones anymore and couldn't call me. So I told them that if they couldn't use a phone and help me, being they are a phone company, that they would lose my account permanently but they didn't care. Stay away unless you don't care about NO CUSTOMER SERVICE when you need it.

Vonage author review by Ellen Muraskin

An industry-leading provider of telecommunications services, Vonage offers a complete range of VoIP solutions for home, business and on the go.​

• Business packages: First known for their residential service, Vonage offers a robust suite of small business services, including contact center, video conferencing and CRM integration.

• Unified communications: Unified communications across Vonage's private, managed MPLS network ensures quality audio and no dropped calls.

• Discounts: By signing up for a one-year contract, users can enjoy annual contract discounts.

• MobileConnect: Vonage’s MobileConnect app links your business extension to your mobile device, letting you make mobile calls through your Vonage Business phone service.

• Free calls to landlines and mobile phones: Calling is free to landlines in more than 60 countries and to mobile phones in 10. Rates to other countries are competitive with other VoIP providers and are based on calling plan.

by Ellen Muraskin VoIP Advisor

Ellen Muraskin has been writing about telecom and IT since 1993 when she joined the marketing department of Dialogic. In 1996 she joined the editorial staff of CMP’s Computer Telephony Magazine, rising to Executive Editor before joining Ziff Davis Media to launch the VoIP topic center of their eweek.com site. She served as senior copywriter for IT infrastructure company Raritan and has written and edited for several publications.

Vonage Company Information