Call toll free
2.57/5
Based on 87 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Make and receive calls using your home phone service anywhere you use a smartphone, know who’s calling your home number. Different from call forwarding, this new functionality allows shared use of a family’s home phone identity. Calls made to the home phone number will now ring on mobile phones at the same time so anyone in the household can immediately take important calls from doctors, children’s schools, home improvement professionals, friends and family. Gives you a second identity on your mobile phone and more control over when, how and where you communicate. HomePhone. Anywhere.

Vonage Video
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

2172 Vonage Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 15, 2018

We signed up for Vonage (VoIP System) for our business phones back in January and were given a phone number for our business. We have spent thousands of dollars to market and brand our number over the last 5 months and our customer base has come to know our phone number. Then on Tuesday, June 12th, the phone stopped ringing! Understanding, our business lives and dies with the phone. After 5 months of having the number, Vonage gives it to someone else and all our calls are going to a resident who has no idea why they are getting all these calls for some business! Now Vonage cannot get this mess straighten out and in the meanwhile we have no phone service going on 4 days!!!! Vonage is costing us thousands of dollars for their error and inability to correct their error. They have forced us to seek legal counsel, contact the FCC and go public with their blunder. Needless to say, we will never recommend Vonage services to anyone.

Get expert buying tips about VoIP Internet Phone Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: June 12, 2018

Absolutely HORRIBLE! I signed up with Vonage 05/10/2018 and used it for ONE week. The service and reliability was terrible, calls would drop out, static on every line, and I would miss calls because it would not ring. I go to cancel my service and was told that I could not call in to cancel until a few days before my next charge date. Not only was that super sketchy but it was very inconvenient as well! I call in on 06/04/2018 and had to practically jump through hoops to get my plan canceled. I ask the woman I spoke to THREE TIMES if I would be charged anything else and she assured me I would NOT!!!

Now, it's 06/12/2018 and I'm debating a charge for a call that NEVER happened! My claim against the charge was denied TWICE and I was basically told that there is nothing they can or will do. The only piece of information I received is that they will do better training when it comes to canceling accounts. That is UNACCEPTABLE and I am SO frustrated with Vonage's lack of care for their customers. I do NOT ever recommend this service to ANYBODY, unless you enjoy being screwed over.

Original review: June 1, 2018

Absolutely the worst experience. Do not furnish them your credit card. They will routinely charge your card and you will not be able to get through to cancel the service. My only recourse was to have my credit card company block all future Vonage charges. After reading the glaring negative reviews I decided to cancel the service. They don't have any interest to retain the customers.

Original review: May 18, 2018

We vetted many companies and finally landed on Vonage. It was a terrible decision on our part. Our bill went from $261/month to $531/month in three months because there were temporary discounts which we were intentionally misled by our sales representative Brett ** to be permanent and locked in on the pricing. Also, it is not compatible with most firewalls we had to spend around $1,500 in setup to switch from Ubiquiti to SonicWall. Now we have to drop them and find another provider. Very disappointed.

Original review: May 17, 2018

Negligence does cost because I misunderstood what they were saying to me and I signed the contract. I cancelled the contract within eight hours and they still made me pay the same as if I had taken the order. I can't blame them there because one has to follow contracts and if you don't, you get penalize but that's not the sad part. The service was past terrible from the representative to the manager - I am a stickler for service and I believe if a company can help a customer in any way possible then they should. I had to hold on the phone for a long time. One person did not know what the next person was doing and overall they left a bad taste in my mouth. I wanted my $143.00 back but since they decided not to give it back to me - I understand because one must follow guidelines but I will never come back to them under no circumstances.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vonage?

Original review: May 15, 2018

I took Vonage because I needed quality international calling. I bought a land line phone for $100 and after the fourth call I decided not to use them anymore and kept on paying. Four months into paying, I decide to call to cancel. Had to go trough a horrible service, calling several times, with people in India or God know where who could not care. I got to the point that I ended up paying a cancellation fee of 121 dollars just to get them off my back... Stay away from this people. Use SKYPE or any other thing that is more honest and committed to customer service.

Original review: May 11, 2018

Customer service hung up on me when I asked to speak with an supervisor. After two hours of speaking with customer service, I gave up. They refunded half of what I was asking for. I still don't believe they understood what I was talking about as the call service center sounded as if it were in India. Very frustrating to talk with people when they speak broken English. The call was over getting a refund on a phone number that was a Globe number. Their system said it wasn't a Globe number, but our relative said it was a Globe number. I also checked Emobile tracker online and the phone number was also verified to be a Globe number. Funny thing was, that a couple days earlier an agent of Vonage said they made an error, and that it was indeed a Globe number. Any agent after that said it wasn't. Very frustrating and terrible customer support. Feels like they're not interested in retaining customers.

Original review: May 11, 2018

My only complaint is that there are no discounts much offered to the West Indian islands. Also please charge the amount quoted instead of changing the amount each month. Otherwise I find that the service has been really worth the amount charged especially when taking into consideration the other offers out there.

Original review: May 8, 2018

I got Vonage cause a lot of the review said it was great service. I have to strongly disagree with these reviews. I had nothing but issues with the line saying check internet connection about 7 out of 10 calls. I called and disconnected my services only to receive an email 3 weeks later saying I owed money. When I called in about it I was informed that my services was not disconnected. I told the operator I called in 3 weeks prior and he said, "You are a liar there is no record." I told him to check the last time there was a call made from the phone and he said about 3 weeks ago so I informed him that was when the services was supposed to be turned off. And again he said, "Stop lying to try and get a free bill." He then hung up on me. So beware and do not waste your time or money.

Original review: May 6, 2018

It is a good service even when I’m out from USA. I can connect to a WiFi red and I can make calls and receive them, but what I’d Like is that my family who love in COLOMBIA can call me too with this Vonage service!

Original review: May 4, 2018

After having CenturyLink our service with Vonage, we are saving money. Before having Vonage no long distant etc, we now have everything for $ 20.00 less. My question do we have Fax service? I would recommend Vonage to family or friend.

Original review: May 4, 2018

My service has been excellent! I could not ask for a more reliable service. My service is better than having the expensive plans from US mobile carrier services. I really like that my Vonage phone can also ring to my cell phone, so that I can receive important calls.

Vonage response

We're so happy to hear that you're utilizing some of the great features that Vonage has to offer. Thank you for the positive review!

Original review: May 3, 2018

Rep Janita was extremely helpful and displayed a great deal of care. She made a special effort to follow up by calling to ensure my service is working properly, because of her customer care I will definitely recommend Vonage to family and friends.

Vonage response

Thank you so much for your review. We're thrilled to hear that you had a positive experience with our Customer Service department.

Original review: May 3, 2018

I received very good service for the past several years. I have two lines. I enjoy using both of them. Recommended many people for the good service. Customer service people are very good. They always try to help. However, senior citizens and loyal customers should get more discounts.

Vonage response

Thank you for the positive review! We are so pleased to hear that the service is working well for you. We will take your feedback to our management.

Original review: April 18, 2018

My one year promotional period is up today on April 18th. However every month my bank account is charged on either the 19th or 20th every month. Well today being the 18th I was triple charged. No fair warning, call, letter, no email, no heads up. They over drafted my account, and I'm pissed. After being a loyal customer, you think they would offer something better than 15-20$ a month for a house phone...no thanks. I'll pass. I can get a home phone service for free through my cable and internet providers. Trying to get these morons to understand this was like screaming at a brick wall, how many times do I have to express I'm pissed off about this BS. And cancel my subscription period. Never again will I deal with Vonage. What a crock of **.

Original review: April 9, 2018

This company is not for residents anymore. No more trusting this scam company at this point. I am discontinuing my service with them as they have nailed me with an average monthly charge of $80.00 for no reason. I have made a few calls internationally but the rates & fees were so high then they could pile up the charges max as $132.00/month. The free service for international calls are out there and VONAGE had cost me the past 2-3 years is almost $2400.00 or more.

Beware of this company. They will tell you one thing over the phone and do another in real. If you do not pay attention to your bills as I had mine auto charge, you are a DEAD MEAT with them. There are so many other companies offering great offer for residents as low as $6.00 a month and that is all I need. I took my time here to write this review because I am so disappointed with them due to the fact I was with VONAGE for the past 15 years, I have got treated right for that, yes, they nailed me with thousands of $$$ in the past years. Done is done!

Original review: April 2, 2018

I've had Vonage for 11 years. My incoming speed has always been good at 1 gig and now after all these years 7 gigs. Occasionally certain long distance areas where the other user is using a different VOIP system whether cable/built in VoIP or other integrated services I get a nasty echo which only is on my end as the other party has no problem. The VoIP hardware they supply works great and I have 1 voice line and the second set up at a discounted rate for alarm and fax use. I would be concerned if I had serious health issues as when the power goes out so does the VOIP. However if you use a backup power or UPS supply on your network Comcast has redundant power on their system good for a couple of days. The price beats Comcast and landlines. Be prepared for a trying 5-7 days changeover where you don’t know which number you’re on if you’re trying to have your landline number converted which I did.

Vonage response

Great feedback, Jordan! We genuinely appreciate and value your opinion. We’re glad to hear that you’re happy with our service!

Original review: March 20, 2018

Vonage has created a feature called CLICK-TO-CALL which can be used to harass a Vonage customer, yet they are unwilling to correct the problem. We are receiving 5 or more calls per hour from caller IDs with CLICK-TO-CALL but the phone number is always different. Apparently someone has determined that we have our phones with Vonage and have used the HTML generator (see **) to obtain the script for them to be able to set up a bot that sends random phone numbers to Vonage so that Vonage will call that number, then call our phone number, and then connect the two calls together.

Vonage has basically given authorized access to its computers to abuse its customers. I have called into Vonage about this and spoke with two people who comically did not even have an adequate understanding of how the CLICK-TO-CALL feature actually works. This is a problem for an engineer, not an entry level tech support staff member who does not know how the CLICK-TO-CALL works, yet getting an engineer to look into the problem seems impossible. One of the two guys said he would forward my suggestion on. Seriously!?

Original review: March 14, 2018

Vonage refuses to honor their money back guarantee statements. Dared me to contact my bank to resolve the matter which I'm gladly considering. They refused to offer any other way to resolve this problem and still kept my money.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2018

I signed up with Vonage a week ago. Received service router after paying $18 and some change to start. Great! I also processed an early payment for upcoming month of 30 bucks. Received equipment and an email saying the payment did not go through for the 30.00 was charged the return payment fee. Fine! Even though I know there is 30.00 in the bank. I go to login to online account to settle the matter. I like paying early... Was unable to login to online account. Online portal locked me out after 3 attempts. Ok I tried everything without having to call customer service. Tried to change logging however, portal recommended to contact customer care.

Been trying to get these folks on the phone to settle the early payment because my service is suspended. How is the service suspended and I never completed activation. Device was sent out because of the first successful payment. What's going on. I call customer care and left a message which was instructed over the phone by the IVR due to high call volume. Well I'm still waiting after 1 week. I have the money to pay however can't get in touch with anyone to process the payment and unlock my online account. So I'm a new customer that almost got service. I have a new wireless phone connected to Vonage. I mean Vonage router and Ethernet cord connected to router for Vonage and to my internet router with phone plugged in wall and into the Vonage router. Man but no service. Well. I guess that's all folks. Enjoy your life and save the headache of this company. Never seen such neglect. Well. I'm going to get phone service elsewhere.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

Had Vonage for our Home and Business VOIP Phone Service and recently canceled our home service and looking to cancel the Business Service now too. While the service has been adequate at times, at times the voice quality is so broken up it's unusable and so annoying... But the kicker is the Fees, Surcharges, Pass-alongs and Taxes are just outrageous... For our Business account for instance, which is supposed to be $27.99/month, with a $9.99/month Fax line, for a total of $37.98/month Service Fee IN THEORY, actually is $59.24/month! Why, because Vonage charges us an additional $21.26/month in Fees, Surcharges, and Government Pass-Through Taxes. That's $255.12 a year in additional Fees, Surcharges, Taxes and additional profit to Vonage. UNACCEPTABLE!

I've contacted them about it numerous times and they won't do anything to reduce those additional costs... So, I will. I canceled the Home Service and switched to Axvoice, and am looking to cancel the Business Service any day now. I cannot in any way recommend Vonage to any small business that cares in any way about watching its bottom line and not getting ripped off by their service providers.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

Fraud Vonage - This is regarding account no. ** for refund. They charged my card and suspended account on 23 Jan. While I clearly told before signing up to use India card. Customer care is transferring me to many departments and at last I am send to IVR. No response at all. Bother account is being activated nor money is being refunded. Feeling helpless. Extremely unprofessional people. They wanted USA address to activate account and I put in one of my known persons address and USA Phone no of the person who referred me. Account set up team was fully aware of about the fact that I am using India card which does not have USA billing address. Every team wants to complete theirs target and do not want to take responsibility.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

When you have a problem with the phone system you may be in for a bad day. After two hours of silly troubleshooting and countless time spent on hold, I now get a call that they have a problem with their system which is causing my dropped calls. They made me do things like, reboot my router, which surprise surprise disconnects our call, and instead of calling right back I get a call back nearly an hour later. That hour I spent on hold with them trying to get my issue resolved because I had no idea the guy would call back and I could not just cross my fingers. We have a business to run and phones play a big part in that.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2017

Do not let this company trick you into a contract. After six months, your bill more than doubles and you have to pay $80 to get out of the contract. The bill you end up with is not made clear when you sign up. My cellphone service is less than I pay for this limited service, and my cellphone bill includes unlimited data with no contract. This service is a rip-off.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2017

Dec 6th, 2017, I ordered vonage (not capitalized on purpose to show disdain for company) and received their device promptly. After that, all downhill. After 24 days without my number being transferred, I cancelled service (supposed to take ten days. Excuse: trying to find third party to do transfer. After 21 days: Trying to find third party to transfer number. Where have I heard this before?). Now all I get is the run around. No one knows where my ported number is. It has gone to the great number heaven, I suppose. Will I get my number back? Who knows. It may be time to change that number, after over 30 years with that number. vonage lacks the tact and apparently, the ability to get the job done and have a satisfied customer, at least not me. I cannot recommend this outfit to sneak up on a cup of coffee much less phone service.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2017

For years we've had either garbled or low quality voice calls. I've called them no less than 10 times about it, gotten upgrade hardware. We have 20 Mbps to our house, so that's not the issue. It's just a very poor service. Beyond that, I just found out they've been charging me $35/month for 3 years. Shame on me for not noticing. They enticed me in with a promotion and then I never noticed that the bill got jacked from $9.99 to $24.99 on one of my lines.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

Vonage has been terrible. I have had so called service with them for 5 months now. The service has be intermittent with people telling me they get a "number not working" message and can't get through to me. Now they tell me after 5 months that my phone # wasn't ported correctly from my previous carrier and I can get a new phone # with them. I am very upset as I have had this # for years. Currently they will only email me and I can't get any help from technical support as they say my issue has been upgraded to a higher status. What a joke, a higher status means not being able to speak directly with anyone. This company is terrible! Terrible. For lack of a better word - Terrible! I can't post this without giving 1 star - they don't even deserve that!

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

We started Vonage service 2 months back. Haven't been able to make a single call. Coz the call drops after the first 2-3 seconds. And we've just been calling Vonage and our Internet service providers back and forth. Unable to resolve the issue. Vonage won't give us our money back.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

When I first started using Vonage in 2015 for my business calls I was very happy. This last year the service has declined. Using the mobile app to make business calls off of my cell phone using my business line has been awful. While on a call if a second call came in it would cut me off from hearing my client but the client could still hear me or it would disconnect my call all together. The cost also has steadily increased so I looked around and found a much better company for a third of the cost. When I called Vonage to ask questions about porting my number away and canceling the service I was not told that Vonage bills a month in advance and WILL NOT refund any of my unused month with them.

I called Vonage a week before the porting happened, the bill came out of my account on a Monday, the phone number ported away on Tuesday, and I received the notice from Vonage on Wednesday that it had ported. So for basically one day of service (Monday) I am billed over $80.00 with absolutely no refund. My business is run on doing what is right for my clients and I would refund back any unused dollars just so that I might win that business back in the future. What concept! Also, I did receive an email this week that they had been billing taxes incorrectly and that I will see a separate bill for the difference owed on the taxes.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

You're going to want to hear this ladies and gentlemen... I have been with Vonage for almost 10 years. I discontinue the service because my wife currently resides in America and no longer lives in the Philippines. My account has always been just a month-to-month account. I have never signed any agreement for anything other than that... Now they are taking me to collections and I've tried telling them to please leave me alone but they continue to harass me when I've already told them that I no longer want their service. Please keep in mind, I have been a long loyal customer. I will now never use their service again if the opportunity presents itself in the future. I will tell everyone I know not to use that service. There are other companies out there that are far better than Vonage. You can even pick up calling cards that will give you better time for your money. Buyer beware...

Vonage expert review by Ellen Muraskin

An industry-leading provider of telecommunications services, Vonage offers a complete range of VoIP solutions for home, business and on the go.​

• Business packages: First known for their residential service, Vonage offers a robust suite of small business services, including contact center, video conferencing and CRM integration.

• Unified communications: Unified communications across Vonage's private, managed MPLS network ensures quality audio and no dropped calls.

• Discounts: By signing up for a one-year contract, users can enjoy annual contract discounts.

• MobileConnect: Vonage’s MobileConnect app links your business extension to your mobile device, letting you make mobile calls through your Vonage Business phone service.

• Free calls to landlines and mobile phones: Calling is free to landlines in more than 60 countries and to mobile phones in 10. Rates to other countries are competitive with other VoIP providers and are based on calling plan.

• Best for: Residential users, salespeople and small businesses.

Profile picture of Ellen Muraskin
Ellen Muraskin

VoIP Contributing Editor

Ellen Muraskin has been writing about telecom and IT since 1993 when she joined the marketing department of Dialogic. In 1996 she joined the editorial staff of CMP’s Computer Telephony Magazine, rising to Executive Editor before joining Ziff Davis Media to launch the VoIP topic center of their eweek.com site. She served as senior copywriter for IT infrastructure company Raritan and has written and edited for several publications.

Vonage Company Information