2.54/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Make and receive calls using your home phone service anywhere you use a smartphone, know who’s calling your home number. Different from call forwarding, this new functionality allows shared use of a family’s home phone identity. Calls made to the home phone number will now ring on mobile phones at the same time so anyone in the household can immediately take important calls from doctors, children’s schools, home improvement professionals, friends and family. Gives you a second identity on your mobile phone and more control over when, how and where you communicate. HomePhone. Anywhere.

Vonage Video
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

2257 Vonage Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: April 13, 2019

Vonage sales representatives promised a phone system solution that would work for our new location. The correct phones were not sent. We attempted on several occasions to rectify the situation. However, our phone calls and e-mails went unanswered for months. We finally made contact with one person at Vonage who promised to send us the correct phones for our system...if we agreed to extend our contract for two years! Avoid this company at all costs. Their sales reps make false promises and their customer service is the worst we have encountered anywhere. There are MUCH better options out there that we have found for VOIP with better service, lower costs, and much friendlier customer service.

Get expert buying tips about VoIP Internet Phone Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 13, 2019

Vonage allows only fifty (50) numbers on a block list. With ever increasing incidences of robo-calls, political calls soliciting money, charitable organizations soliciting contributions and the like the measly fifty numbers I am allowed to block is inadequate in today's frenetic environment. Repeated telephone calls begging for money are more than annoying and wouldn't you know!!! such unscrupulous solicitors often target family "meal times" 4:30 - 6:30 PM.

I suggest you modify Vonage Residential service to allow up to five hundred numbers on each customer's block list. Yes! 500. BTW I would be willing to pay a little more per month for an expanded block list as an Add On i.e $5 per hundred additional block number slots. Smart phones now have the ability to identify a "scam" call. Please investigate whether or not Vonage could offer a Block Scams option or simply block scam calls by default. By the way I really love my Vonage VOIP phone service. Please keep up the good work guys. Thank You. Vernon **.

Resolution response: April 12, 2019

GREAT response to a scam issue.

THANKS

Original review: April 12, 2019

Just got a call from Vonage and they said they were partners with Spectrum and wanted to update my service. After hanging up I tried to call the phone number they called from and it has a recording that says to leave A MESSAGE BUT THE MAILBOX IS FULL. The phone number on the caller ID is a nonworking number. **. WHAT A SCAM. Just spoke with Spectrum and they said they DO NOT PARTNER with them.

Original review: April 11, 2019

We had Vonage for over 5 years in our company though we didn’t like it 100%. It was going okay until we know their REAL relationship with customer. The monthly balance was in autopay from our business CC. The CC details changed due to some suspicious activities in our a/c. And in the meantime one of office locations was closed. So we cancelled our Vonage service. But in the meantime they couldn’t process the last due payment from the CC as the card details being changed. We got to know all about this after 4 months. In the meantime we didn’t receive a single letter or invoice from them.

All of a sudden a call from Collection!!! Really Vonage? And when we call the customer service the lady says, “You should have called us with your new CC.” Hello??? How about you make an effort to call us??? And also there was a late fee in our a/c $25!!! To waive the late fee, they wanted us to make the service active again. Really pissed by their service after 5yrs with them. I am glad that we don’t have that service anymore. Vonage that is it. I’ll never consider going back to you again.

Original review: April 11, 2019

Continue to have trouble, on and off, with deterioration of quality of voice on both ends of call during contacts with persons in Panama. Reported to customer service on a number of occasions, it would clear up, then problem would repeatedly reoccur.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vonage?

Original review: March 29, 2019

I’ve had this service for just over 4 months. I have spent many hours on several occasions attempting to get the service working (you never know when it stops working). The techs ALWAYS escalate the problem (usually fix it in 2-3 business days). Of course that may not be why you have phone or fax service. I requested to drop the service and go with another (any other) but was informed I must pay a fee or continue until the 12 months was up. So much more ... attempted to leave a review on the Vonage site but it doesn’t allow (try & see). I’ll be paying extra now for phone & fax service as I’ll have a service and I’ll have to also pay for this ** Vonage service for the remainder of the annual contract. - Bruce, insurance agency owner.

Original review: March 29, 2019

I wish I had researched Vonage before I allowed them to start charging my account. The young lady was so persistent and helpful while trying to convince me to sign up with them that I finally gave in. The free phones they promised have not arrived. The agreed monthly service fee is $40 higher than the quoted price. They are charging the wrong bank account which they promised they would not do and my sales rep Dennielle ** is apparently putting me off intentionally.

When I contacted the support folks they advised me to get in touch with my account rep, Dennielle **. The last communication with her was via text message this past Tuesday Mar 26th, where she informed me she was in a meeting and that she had another meeting immediately after that meeting and would take of closing my account soon after the meeting.... I guess I'll have to stop payment on this account because now she's not responding at all. My advice is to not give these people any information about yourself at all. In fact if they call you, just hang up the phone and block their number to prevent them from calling.

Original review: March 29, 2019

I have been a customer of Vonage for many years of which most of the period I couldn’t use it so I was just paying £9.25 every month. So finally I have decided to cancel the line and I called Vonage, and after few minutes of conversation when I firmly said that I need to cancel the line I could sense the lady’s tone and expressions all changed, all of a sudden I became an unwanted person. Also the final outstanding balance was 9.25 and they have suspended the line just because I couldn’t make this latest payment, and although I wanted to disconnect the line (i.e, there is no need of reconnecting the line) she has made sure to add a reconnection fee of £6+.

And finally when I was transferred to the cancellation team I was told that I can switch to a suitable package of just £3.99 a month which they don’t market openly. I was truly shocked that they have been ripping me off all this time while knowing that my line is inactive throughout and charged me £9.25 but not offered this reduced package instead. Honestly, very disappointed with Vonage and I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone.

Original review: March 22, 2019

I have been a Vonage customer since the company got started. The service has been and is outstanding. We make a lot of international calls and calls all over the USA. The Quality is always first rate and the service has been consistent and dependable. I have recommended Vonage to my neighbors, my family, and friends.

Hi Jerry,

We’re delighted you took the time to provide your positive experience with Vonage! It is our aim to provide the best products and services for each customer!

Original review: March 22, 2019

Have had no problems therefore very pleased with service. Thank you, Vonage! In this Thacker Grigsby area it is a challenge to get service and I am very pleased with being able to add this on to Spectrum service for TV and internet.

Vonage response

Great feedback Janet! We genuinely appreciate and value your opinion. We’re glad to hear that you’re happy with our service!

Original review: March 22, 2019

I get numerous telemarketer calls every day. I am on the do not call list and also signed up for no more robo, but I still get these calls. I wish Vonage had the ability to screen and eliminate telemarketer and robo calls.

Original review: March 18, 2019

THEY NEVER EXPLAINED HOW PAYMENT IS ONLY BY CARD WHEN OUR COMPANY DOES CHECKS. THEY COULDN'T CHANGE PAYMENT METHOD THEREFORE I HAD TO PAY $900 to cancel when I only had them for a week. When I ask them to uninstall their equipment they refuse to do so stating that Verizon needs to do this. However Vonage messed up the whole system and used Verizon box. This place is horrible and useless. They are no help and rude. They don't provide 30 day money back or help me by removing the wires they placed.

Original review: March 13, 2019

I helped my 75yr old dad deal with the Customer Service for Vonage. The agent who helped him kept talking over him, refused to update his email stating that it is not possible. She was insistent that all the confirmation of the service cancellation will go to the email that is no longer exists and she cannot change it. She was speaking as if she was reading a teleprompter and not listening to me nor my dad.

When I asked to speak to her manager she refused and said that her manager will not be able to change the email on file and that the manager will agree with her. I explained that my dad did not have an online account and requested the documents be mailed via USPS; as it does not make sense to email information to a closed email. I further explained that we did not consent to paperless communication. She placed me on hold to let her manager know, and suddenly per her manager she was able to change my email. As she was working my refund she placed me on hold and hung up. After almost an hour we were hung up on. I called back and was placed on hold. Unlike other agents, she did not bother to call us back. Vonage customer service is just terrible.

Resolution response: March 15, 2019

After giving Vonage the original date of purchase and the amount, they *did* credit my account. Please allow this credit to happen via customer service in the future. Thanks for taking care of this.

Original review: March 11, 2019

So, I paid them to have phone credit for calls made from my iPhone using their app. I had them on my iPhone just in case my message units ran out on my iPhone using T-Mobile as a backup. Well, yesterday, I tried to use them, but they said I had no credit on my account. Now, I never used that credit before and when I called today, the customer service representative said I had to use the app once every 6 months, or else, they will deduct $1.00 for every month that passes after that. So, in essence, they took my credit and pocketed it.

Had I known this was their dishonest practice, I would have, of course, used the app at least once in a while, rather than as an emergency choice. They never sent me an email, no notice whatsoever. And none of this was written when you pay them to receive their service. Only after-the-fact… totally sneaky. Never again. Oh, and customer service cannot give any credit for anything; please know that if you think they can do anything to make it right. They can't and won't.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: March 2, 2019

I had been a Vonage customer for 5+ years. Now when I put in an application for porting my number which I have used for 5+ years, they keep cancelling it citing some irrelevant reason. When I call customer care they say all they can do is file a ticket.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

I used them for a year and the billing was always inconsistent and varied almost every month. Then I found a better provider, made the switch on 2/05/19 to Lightspeed and they still took my payment on 2/27/19. I called Vonage to see why it wasn't cancelled on 2/28/19 and they cancelled effective same day and told me they don't do refunds. So even though I haven't used their service they are still stealing my money.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

Had technical issues after first month, as in no phone service at all. Spoke with many "technical" assistants, no one could fix issue. Promised refund for lack of service, and never received it. Horrible company.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

I ordered Vonage and they billed me $18.99 twice on 2/13 and once on 2/14. I waited for 10 minutes to have an idiot tell me to go to the account and I will only see one charge. I sent my bank statement proving 3 charges. She said their fraud department would look into this. I complain about them stealing my money and they hint that I may have been fraudulent. They finally figured it out and apologized but that took 30 minutes for them to realize THEY MADE THE MISTAKE. I am passing this on to NYS Consumer Affairs and have cancelled my account. Go buy MagicJack - it's cheaper and better!!

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

Requested a quote for my small business back in October 2018. The rep named Wilfredo stated in order for me to keep the quoted rates I would have to electronically sign and enter my credit card number to secure the rates for Oct 2018. Yes, I got scammed and I'm embarrassed for it. Vonage created service for VOIP lines I can't use and service I didn't authorize. Vonage drafted my credit card 2 months before I noticed the charge. I've filed a complaint with the BBB and Vonage didn't bother to respond to the complaint. I called Vonage also, but get bounced around from rep to rep and no resolution. Posting this so consumers are aware of the deceptive unethical sales practices. I'll be filing a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission and will post my experience on other sites until I get a response from Vonage.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

Vonage Business offers some neat features so I ordered the service and bought a VOIP Phone. WHen I got the phone I could not get on to their online portal with my account #, account ID or password. Seems simple right? Emails to reset my password would not work when I tried it. Then when I finally FOUND the chat function on the Vonage Business website and waiting in queue for 8 minutes the rep. sent me a password reset and it would not work either. Tried chatting five times today and the chat function is so buried on their website it took up half my day. I called in on the Vonage Business toll free and was on hold for a long while until the first rep. with attitude got on and started asking me to validate this and that and never listened to my issue, just sent an email to reset my password and again did not work.

Finally I called and had to be transferred to account management to hear the story yet again and validate my account yet again. I then asked to just cancel the account and send back the phone because I thought if it is this tough to set up and the service is this bad NOW, what happens when I have a problem. The guy was nice enough but then told me "per their terms of service" there is NO REFUND on the phone. WHAT? A phone I just ordered Thursday and got today and can't get to work?

BUYERS BEWARE- this company is a large behemoth of a mess with terrible customer service. OH, and why I could not get my account ID to work online or get my account # to work or be recognized on the phone when I called in? It was "pending" and not live. WOW! ALl this great online portal stuff with ID and user codes and passwords and doesn't work to set up your phone. JUST ANOTHER AWFUL BEHEMOTH OF A COMPANY that is more concerned about stock price than customer service. No Google reviews, no Facebook reviews.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

I tried to call and cancel my services. Agent said he is transferring my call to Cancellation department. After 20 mins on Hold some other guy who have no information receives the call and again ask information and promise to loop to cancellation department again. Same Loop. Some other representative answer who have no knowledge ask all information. This went on for 3 Hrs. I called next day. I was informed that someone will contact. They took my mobile number but I never got call. Every month I receive the charges in my account stealing my money. I changed my Credit card. Still they are able to charge my other card. Simple. I do not need there Service. As simple as that. Refund my Money.

Dear Mohammed ,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience you had in dealing with our representative. Can you please provide me with your Vonage account number or telephone number so I can look into the matter?

Available Mon thru Fri 9:30am to 6:00pm ET

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

I have been a Vonage customer since 2005. The service is as good as a landline, but now it is extremely expensive. The newest scam is "Regulatory, Compliance and Intellectual Property (RC&IP) Fee " This sounds like a government fee, but wait it isn't it is a fee to deal with government fees. What a great scam, charge people to be able to charge them another fee. How great. I guess Vonage is no longer trying to grow revenue through services or options, instead they have bean counters now coming up with revenue, instead of innovation.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

Vonage have monthly charges, taxes and fees. Taxes are fine. For what they charges fees when they have monthly charges? This is big scam to look monthly rate low. When I called Account Management team to request for the cancellation a day after seeing inflated bill on my card, I was told, they will not refund. Why no refund, you are charging a customer before providing the service and no refund? Then I requested for change of the plan since it has been less than a week of start of service cycle, that lady told, me she will not provide credit, why no credit, I have used the service for less than 5 days. Straight answer, we are not allowed to do. I am thinking of filing a case against Vonage for plundering the customers. Beware, they are other service provide with better call quality and much cheaper rate.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

I had a landline number for over 20 years and approximately 3 years ago decided to use Vonage. After 3 years my husband decided he wanted to add the phone to our Spectrum account since it would be less expensive. I called Vonage to cancel our account and was told that I would be able to transfer my phone number. I even received an email from Vonage including the same information.

Just finished speaking to Spectrum and discovered that I am unable to transfer my number because Vonage did something to the number that prevents it being used as a landline. We have used this phone number for over 20 years and now our number is held hostage by Vonage. This is beyond disappointing! I will make sure that I post this review wherever I can to ensure that consumers are aware of this. Vonage you should be ashamed!

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

Vonage is fraud service... Don't believe them. They have been charging me even though I requested for cancellation service back in 2017. As I didn't see my statements, I couldn't find out till Nov 2018. When I asked them why they have been charging me...they said, "Your account was renewed automatically"... And I didn't even know this and never received email notifications. So they want me to put the dispute to get my money back, but when I put dispute, they are rejecting all the disputes.

Vonage Customer Service really sucks... Once the amount is received they don't even bother about their customers. They don't even have email notifications for monthly payments that were charged on the customer account. The amount that Vonage stole from the account is more than 500 dollars. Please beware of this...before you sign up for Vonage service.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

I called Vonage Business to purchase a Dialer to integrate with Salesforce. I asked one question and Wilfred hung up on me. I am going to call them back. Maybe get somebody nicer this time. I was Vonage Customer 7 years ago, and I know it is not the company. Just a bad rep.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

The sales department lies to you and the account managers support their actions by not trying to assist you. Instead of trying to solve the issue they tried to sell me more service. This was very comical, never experienced anything like that. Vonage only cares about making the sale and then stranding you in an island.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

Been with Vonage for 4Y plus and now as other cheaper options are available I thought I would cancelling the service and had the most horrible experience. My billing cycle is on the 16th of every month and not sure whether I pay at the beginning or at the end of the cycle. As today is the 17th I called them to cancel and the lady at the other end said I can't cancel and can't give the refund now as billing cycle already began and would set up the auto cancellation date on Jan 16.

The funny thing is 1 week before the billing cycle I called the customer service for the same reason and said she can't cancel before the billing cycle and she said to call on 15th to cancel, which was on weekend. So called today (Monday 17th) which is over 1 billing cycle day. As previous lady didn't mentioned about setting up an auto cancellation date a week back, which could have saved me $40. When I insist her this on the phone she said transfer to her manager and phone got hang up, and called again same above story repeated with other lady and she also said gonna transfer to someone else and got disconnected. Horrible horrible customer service. Never ever recommend to anyone. :-(

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

Been with Vonage for 12Y plus and now as other cheaper options are available I thought I would cancelling the service and had the most horrible experience. My billing cycle is on the 10th of every month and not sure whether I pay at the beginning or at the end of the cycle. As today is the 10th I call to cancel and the person at the other end said I pay at the END of the cycle and I had to pay for the last cycle to cancel my service. She took the payment and transferred me over to the cancellation department.

Now the lady here says that my account is charged at the BEGINNING of the cycle and as I already paid for the next cycle/month this morning she will cancel on Jan 10. This is not what I was told by the lady who took my card number earlier and explained to her about this. She says that she can't do anything and about it and there is no way I will get a refund as per their policies.

Now my question is why would I pay and then cancel the service at the same time and there is some miscommunication. I asked her to transfer over to someone else or to her supervisor to resolve and the really funny thing I hear is that she is the manager of my account and there is no one else that I can talk to and a few minutes of back and forth she refuses to transfer to anyone else and hangs up on me. This I never expected.

Then I immediately called and I get the same thing from another person (recorded her name this time, but won't be polite to air her name in public)... No refund as per policy and I cannot talk to anyone else as she is my account manager.. (Come on. How many account managers will be there for one account?). After back and forth she said she will cancel and refund the money but I have to wait 3 to 5 days... Will see what will transpire. Really disappointed after being with them for 12+ years. Horrible experience. Will never get their service and encourage everyone to shop elsewhere as there are cheaper options available.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

The sales department at Vonage is fantastic. You express interest online, they call you back almost immediately. They spent almost 45 minutes talking with me and listening to how my business uses its current phone service... The rep I spoke with assured me that he understood and that Vonage could definitely do all that and MORE! He had me very excited by all of the features our business could use and how wonderful it would be. I signed up immediately and could hardly wait for our 800 number to be ported over to them!

Then the nightmare began. I've been in business for almost 18 years, and have never had an experience like this one. I was told I could get everything set up so that when my number ported it would be seamless. Yeah... No. It doesn't work like that. I contacted customer "support", and they couldn't answer my questions about how to get it done -- they kept assigning me temporary phone numbers, but had no clue what would happen when MY number ported over. One agent just suddenly dumped me on hold without telling me -- just *boom* - hold music... And left me there for 15 minutes until I realized that she wasn't coming back and hung up. Everything the sales department told me Vonage could handle, they actually couldn't.

When I contacted my sales guy to express dismay, he suggested that I may have called a wrong number when I called support (!?!?). When I assured him that I had called the right number and was given little or incorrect info, he stopped responding altogether. Now I'm left desperately trying to get my number ported back to the old company, while meanwhile irritating hundreds of customers who are getting endless rings/fast busy signals because the VM on the Vonage side isn't answering correctly. Biggest. Mistake. Ever. In my career owning businesses!

Vonage expert review by Ellen Muraskin

An industry-leading provider of telecommunications services, Vonage offers a complete range of VoIP solutions for home, business and on the go.​

• Business packages: First known for their residential service, Vonage offers a robust suite of small business services, including contact center, video conferencing and CRM integration.

• Unified communications: Unified communications across Vonage's private, managed MPLS network ensures quality audio and no dropped calls.

• Discounts: By signing up for a one-year contract, users can enjoy annual contract discounts.

• MobileConnect: Vonage’s MobileConnect app links your business extension to your mobile device, letting you make mobile calls through your Vonage Business phone service.

• Free calls to landlines and mobile phones: Calling is free to landlines in more than 60 countries and to mobile phones in 10. Rates to other countries are competitive with other VoIP providers and are based on calling plan.

• Best for: Residential users, salespeople and small businesses.

Profile picture of Ellen Muraskin
Ellen Muraskin VoIP Contributing Editor

Ellen Muraskin has been writing about telecom and IT since 1993 when she joined the marketing department of Dialogic. In 1996 she joined the editorial staff of CMP’s Computer Telephony Magazine, rising to Executive Editor before joining Ziff Davis Media to launch the VoIP topic center of their eweek.com site. She served as senior copywriter for IT infrastructure company Raritan and has written and edited for several publications.

Vonage Company Information