It's that easy Request Information
2.70/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Make and receive calls using your home phone service anywhere you use a smartphone, know who’s calling your home number. Different from call forwarding, this new functionality allows shared use of a family’s home phone identity. Calls made to the home phone number will now ring on mobile phones at the same time so anyone in the household can immediately take important calls from doctors, children’s schools, home improvement professionals, friends and family. Gives you a second identity on your mobile phone and more control over when, how and where you communicate. HomePhone. Anywhere.

Vonage Video
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

2234 Vonage Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 2 featured reviews
Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

I had a landline number for over 20 years and approximately 3 years ago decided to use Vonage. After 3 years my husband decided he wanted to add the phone to our Spectrum account since it would be less expensive. I called Vonage to cancel our account and was told that I would be able to transfer my phone number. I even received an email from Vonage including the same information.

Just finished speaking to Spectrum and discovered that I am unable to transfer my number because Vonage did something to the number that prevents it being used as a landline. We have used this phone number for over 20 years and now our number is held hostage by Vonage. This is beyond disappointing! I will make sure that I post this review wherever I can to ensure that consumers are aware of this. Vonage you should be ashamed!

Get expert buying tips about VoIP Internet Phone Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

Vonage is fraud service... Don't believe them. They have been charging me even though I requested for cancellation service back in 2017. As I didn't see my statements, I couldn't find out till Nov 2018. When I asked them why they have been charging me...they said, "Your account was renewed automatically"... And I didn't even know this and never received email notifications. So they want me to put the dispute to get my money back, but when I put dispute, they are rejecting all the disputes.

Vonage Customer Service really sucks... Once the amount is received they don't even bother about their customers. They don't even have email notifications for monthly payments that were charged on the customer account. The amount that Vonage stole from the account is more than 500 dollars. Please beware of this...before you sign up for Vonage service.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

I called Vonage Business to purchase a Dialer to integrate with Salesforce. I asked one question and Wilfred hung up on me. I am going to call them back. Maybe get somebody nicer this time. I was Vonage Customer 7 years ago, and I know it is not the company. Just a bad rep.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

The sales department lies to you and the account managers support their actions by not trying to assist you. Instead of trying to solve the issue they tried to sell me more service. This was very comical, never experienced anything like that. Vonage only cares about making the sale and then stranding you in an island.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

Been with Vonage for 4Y plus and now as other cheaper options are available I thought I would cancelling the service and had the most horrible experience. My billing cycle is on the 16th of every month and not sure whether I pay at the beginning or at the end of the cycle. As today is the 17th I called them to cancel and the lady at the other end said I can't cancel and can't give the refund now as billing cycle already began and would set up the auto cancellation date on Jan 16.

The funny thing is 1 week before the billing cycle I called the customer service for the same reason and said she can't cancel before the billing cycle and she said to call on 15th to cancel, which was on weekend. So called today (Monday 17th) which is over 1 billing cycle day. As previous lady didn't mentioned about setting up an auto cancellation date a week back, which could have saved me $40. When I insist her this on the phone she said transfer to her manager and phone got hang up, and called again same above story repeated with other lady and she also said gonna transfer to someone else and got disconnected. Horrible horrible customer service. Never ever recommend to anyone. :-(

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vonage?

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

Been with Vonage for 12Y plus and now as other cheaper options are available I thought I would cancelling the service and had the most horrible experience. My billing cycle is on the 10th of every month and not sure whether I pay at the beginning or at the end of the cycle. As today is the 10th I call to cancel and the person at the other end said I pay at the END of the cycle and I had to pay for the last cycle to cancel my service. She took the payment and transferred me over to the cancellation department.

Now the lady here says that my account is charged at the BEGINNING of the cycle and as I already paid for the next cycle/month this morning she will cancel on Jan 10. This is not what I was told by the lady who took my card number earlier and explained to her about this. She says that she can't do anything and about it and there is no way I will get a refund as per their policies.

Now my question is why would I pay and then cancel the service at the same time and there is some miscommunication. I asked her to transfer over to someone else or to her supervisor to resolve and the really funny thing I hear is that she is the manager of my account and there is no one else that I can talk to and a few minutes of back and forth she refuses to transfer to anyone else and hangs up on me. This I never expected.

Then I immediately called and I get the same thing from another person (recorded her name this time, but won't be polite to air her name in public)... No refund as per policy and I cannot talk to anyone else as she is my account manager.. (Come on. How many account managers will be there for one account?). After back and forth she said she will cancel and refund the money but I have to wait 3 to 5 days... Will see what will transpire. Really disappointed after being with them for 12+ years. Horrible experience. Will never get their service and encourage everyone to shop elsewhere as there are cheaper options available.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

The sales department at Vonage is fantastic. You express interest online, they call you back almost immediately. They spent almost 45 minutes talking with me and listening to how my business uses its current phone service... The rep I spoke with assured me that he understood and that Vonage could definitely do all that and MORE! He had me very excited by all of the features our business could use and how wonderful it would be. I signed up immediately and could hardly wait for our 800 number to be ported over to them!

Then the nightmare began. I've been in business for almost 18 years, and have never had an experience like this one. I was told I could get everything set up so that when my number ported it would be seamless. Yeah... No. It doesn't work like that. I contacted customer "support", and they couldn't answer my questions about how to get it done -- they kept assigning me temporary phone numbers, but had no clue what would happen when MY number ported over. One agent just suddenly dumped me on hold without telling me -- just *boom* - hold music... And left me there for 15 minutes until I realized that she wasn't coming back and hung up. Everything the sales department told me Vonage could handle, they actually couldn't.

When I contacted my sales guy to express dismay, he suggested that I may have called a wrong number when I called support (!?!?). When I assured him that I had called the right number and was given little or incorrect info, he stopped responding altogether. Now I'm left desperately trying to get my number ported back to the old company, while meanwhile irritating hundreds of customers who are getting endless rings/fast busy signals because the VM on the Vonage side isn't answering correctly. Biggest. Mistake. Ever. In my career owning businesses!

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

Vonage has stolen thousands of dollars from my company. I called Vonage because two of my 4 phone lines ceased to work. It turns out that the modems Vonage provided me failed and they could not replace them. I was sold on a new system through the Business Department which was supposed to be a savings, but ended up costing me over 3,0000 dollars for which the business account was never activated, but was charged monthly for service I never received. So far they have neither refunded me any money or given me an answer as to why not. I have continued to pay for the residential service and the business service unbeknownst to me as it was on an auto pay. I can't get a definitive answer as to whether they ever will.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

Over the last year, our business phones have stopped working for days at a time. We have attempted to get help through customer service. We asked to speak to a supervisor for two days now and they are never available. We have lost thousands and thousands of dollars at this point. If we do not get this problem PERMANENTLY rectified immediately, we will be pulling our service and will be seeking appropriate relief.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

I told Verizon to cancel my account on Nov 18. I called Vonage and requested that they PORT my phone number to my "new" Vonage service. I was TOLD NOT TO CONTACT my previous phone provider, that VONAGE would take care of everything. Well, they didn't. After waiting TWO WEEKS with no phone service, I received a notice that Vonage COULD NOT transfer my original phone number because my "previous provide had already cancelled the account". I was told that once a provider cancels an account, the phone number cannot be "ported" (transferred to your new Vonage account.) WHAAA? I thought they said they were going to take care of this!!! Uh, yeah that's what they SAID. But they didn't, and now not only do I have NO PHONE SERVICE, I have lost the number that I have been using for 20 years!!! DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY. YOU WILL BE SORRY.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

Vonage will lie to you about EVERYTHING in order to get you to sign up. Will lie about rates, how to pay your bill, etc. etc. And after you sign up and call customer service about problems, they continue to tell you one lie after another. Avoid Vonage like the plague.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

Today, I received a call from Vonage customer sales/service (1-866-243-4357) stating they will reduce my monthly bill by 50% and I need to pay an upfront amount of $120. I asked them to sent the information by email. They wanted me to verify my information. I asked them to reveal the information on file which I can verify or send an email to the address on the account. They didn't want to reveal. At that point of time, I disconnected the call. What if Vonage closes business after I make an upfront payment? This is a bad strategy to collect amount to show profits and increase stock price!

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

My initial experience with Vonage was not encouraging. After filling out the online application I received a message that the system was down and I was required to go through a slow process by phone. Other problems were passwords that did not work and links to forms that were broken. Finally got service that seemed OK until I learned that mobile calls were not getting through. Spent many many hours with support in India getting nowhere.

After service of one day I learned that not only were mobile calls not getting through but ALL incoming calls were failing. Outgoing is OK as are calls routed though temporary virtual number. Support in India passed the buck to an Advanced Support team who do not work on weekends (this was Friday) and they would respond sometime in the 72 hours following their receipt of the ticket on Monday. This meant I could be up to six days without phone service. Vonage has lots of web pages that appear to provide answers to any issue you may have but if there is a significant problem there is no competent person to talk to. Vonage is a great service if it works. If it doesn't, you may be on your own.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

We have had many problems with the phone system recently and have recently upgraded to a new service carrier - the only trouble is that we cannot get Vonage to release our main phone number. The first request was made nearly 4 weeks ago. We've had to reschedule with the new provider three times. As a manager and consumer, I am more than disappointed in Vonage and the way they have handled our issues so far. I would not recommend their service to anyone at this time.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

I was thrilled when I first inquired about using Vonage for my Business phone provider. Original representative was fantastic. After that the problems started. They couldn't get my existing line ported over and then when they did it was a week premature and I had no phone service for three days because I wasn't ready with the infrastructure in my building because of they switched providers almost a week ahead of schedule. The time leading up to activation was riddled with various unconnected emails. The left hand did not know what the right hand was doing.

After a scramble to get it set up I realized they were double billing me. Which took at least five phone calls to rectify. Needless to say attempting to get on board with this company had a negative impact on my small business. I run a outpatient mental health service and being without phones is unacceptable. Their call center is useless. There were not any scripted responses for their rep to use that matched my problem so they couldn't do anything for me. Ultimately I called my original sales rep back who couldn't do anything for me. I needed to purchase two additional phones and because I had already become a customer and my service was activated 5 days ago I was unable to purchase additional start up phones at the promotional pricing.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

Had Vonage for 5 months. First 4 months worked great. Month 5 no dial tone. Spent many hours with Tech support and was even sent a new device. Still doesn't work AND they now want to charge a $90 dollar termination fee. Can't get them to cancel the account without the fee even though technical service has said it won't work. Their advertisements say cancel anytime but nothing about a termination fee. Very very difficult to cancel the account. I would give this service less than one star. Buyer beware!

Original review: Oct. 7, 2018

I have been long time customer of Vonage... Past five days for reason unknown my account is disabled. Reason provided fraud alert. Never have I got to speak with a representative. I tried everyday by calling but in vain. No response. I tried to reach them by Chat and they give the same story everyday that someone will reach me within 24-48 hrs. I Wonder how many hours are there in total of 5 completed days and still have not heard. They send me an email with lies saying they are trying to reach me and I should call back to the number they provide and it goes back to the voice. I am being going in circles to put my account back to normal or cancel it for good. I guess they don't like customers who stay long time with them. Anyone out there please help me with your experience.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

I called them to fix the technical issue when I call to India... I don’t know what they are doing there, I can hear they are laughing and chatting each other. They placed my call on hold for more than 5 minutes after the computer recorded answering is done... And I was yelling "hello hello." No response... Could hear the laugh and talk from the other side. Then I hung the call... Again I called but they answer this time. After a 25 minutes call... they said my home phone does have a problem and need to fix it. How come??? I was able to call from my extension phone to India before I purchased the home phone. Feel like Vonage should put some professionals as their technicians. Those people doesn’t know anything...

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

I am more than 10 years customer. I am happy with service. Hope you start service for Internet also. I also contacted customer service for deal of the year and they helped me. So if you have special deal 9.99 monthly (was once) please contact or email me I will appreciate. Thanks.

Vonage response

Great feedback Ritesh! We genuinely appreciate and value your opinion. We’re glad to hear that you’re happy with our service!

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

This is the best service for all who want a landline phone, clear as a bell. I have not experienced any statics. Thanks for being there, I am telling others. Being on a low income that's fixed, your service has been a blessing.

Vonage response

Thank you Linda! We appreciate the time you spent to share your feedback! We’re happy to hear we were able to provide the right product at the right price to fulfill your needs.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

I just got off of the phone with one of your useless customer service reps. I woke up this morning to find money missing out of my account that you charged me for a service that I cancelled over a month and a half ago. This money was to pay for my car payment. The customer service rep said there is no record of me canceling and that is not my problem. I asked her to check the history of the line to show her that not one call has been made and I don't use the line and that I will not pay for something that I don't use and for something that I asked to be canceled.

Not to mention, that you people have been trying to debit my account 3 or 4 times a week unsuccessfully because I did not have a job and there was no money in my account. You all got lucky this morning because I got my first paycheck. I need my money back and I need to pay my car payment and I need to be able to take my children to school with my car. I will continue writing, calling and doing whatever it takes to get my point across. Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Yelp, corporate, I don't care. I have plenty of time today.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

I am under no contract. Vonage charged $36.95 this month. This is second day of billing period, I called them and asked to cancel my service and They did. Checked for prorated cancellation, but their policy doesn't support pro rated. They charge for entire month. When I asked to return the deducted money, the service people asked me to hold on line and after few seconds they disconnected me. Called again and this time a new agent. Explained everything. The service person repeated the same. She asked me to hold for a min and within seconds she disconnected me. Vonage should learn how to respect its customers.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

Had problem with phones, called customer service and head for 25 minutes. They had me do several test so they could document the exact problem for the tech people, said he had more than enough examples for them and someone will get back a hold of me. I waited a week and no one called. Tried to use online chat (that was a joke). Called back and held for 30 minutes and was told they had to have more examples of the problem so we did a bunch more test calls and we told any that someone would get a hold of me.

Waited another week and no call so I tried again and after another 20 minute wait I gave the person (that did not speak very good English) the case number and he wanted all my info and what the problem was. I told him that I was told that the case number would tell him everything he needed. He wanted to do more test. I told him if you can figure out what the problem is with all the test you have run by now that you won't by running them a 3 time. I told him that this is the worst customer service that I have ever seen and I told think Vonage has a clue what they are doing and I will be going somewhere else for my IP phones

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

I have been a Vonage customer for years and this is the time I have a problem and they don't want to help. My wife and I have been using the extension while in another country and sometimes at home in Atlanta. Well, this year we have been charged by AT&T for those calls, nor data, but for direct calls, even though we have been making these calls using the extension. I called Vonage CS and they said those calls show as been made using the app with wifi. However, AT&T said the phone registered those calls as direct. I noticed when using the extension this time, it takes you to another number and I think this is the problem. Anyway, the extension is not working and Vonage is not taking any responsibility.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2018

For someone like me who has yet to get a cell phone (!) and really doesn't use my land line phone that much, your service is perfect. It's been years now since I've signed up and can't remember and having any difficulties or problems. Thank you!

Resolution response: Oct. 9, 2018

I am happy with the final outcome of the issue although it did take longer than I think it should have and is not what I originally was offered to sign up for Vonage service. That said, I am very pleased with the actual service I receive, always works, very clear and great options.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

When I signed up part of the deal was a free set of cordless phones. I did not receive the phones. I contacted them several times. The first time I was told I should have received the phones and that they would reorder the phones for me. The second time I was told the phones had been ordered and I should receive them soon. I never received the phones. I called them a third time and was told that the phones were never ordered and there was nothing they could or would do. Vonage is a dishonest company. They make false advertisements and lie to customers.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

I've used this app for a while now. Calling the US usually works the rest of the countries is a mess, people tell me that they can't hear me properly and I end up using my regular phone and paying the fees. When trying to contact their service department I was referred from one place to another and in the end they ended up giving me a number to call (such an irony, I don't want to call 'cause they won't hear me).

Original review: Aug. 25, 2018

All of my international calls to the same place have always had issues with sound quality or not able to adjust the volume sufficiently for the recipient to hear the conversation without me yelling. The second issue is being barraged by calls not for me. Obviously, someone else had the number and now calls are coming through to me for another person... very annoying!!

Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

We had issues with our phone cutting out. After running a test we found out that we needed to have our internet provider come change some things with our service. After doing this we have not had any issues with our phone. The Vonage rep was polite, professional, and interested in solving our problems when we talked with her on the phone. We are happy with our results.

Vonage response

Thank you for your review! We're thrilled that the issue was resolved and that you've been happy with your service.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

Very pleased. No problems. Would recommend to a friend. Phone is clear and strong. Pricing is excellent and fits my budget very well. I am very pleased thus far with your service. I have no complaints thus far.

Vonage response

Thank you for your feedback! We really appreciate your review and are pleased that you're getting good use out of your Vonage service.

Vonage expert review by Ellen Muraskin

An industry-leading provider of telecommunications services, Vonage offers a complete range of VoIP solutions for home, business and on the go.​

• Business packages: First known for their residential service, Vonage offers a robust suite of small business services, including contact center, video conferencing and CRM integration.

• Unified communications: Unified communications across Vonage's private, managed MPLS network ensures quality audio and no dropped calls.

• Discounts: By signing up for a one-year contract, users can enjoy annual contract discounts.

• MobileConnect: Vonage’s MobileConnect app links your business extension to your mobile device, letting you make mobile calls through your Vonage Business phone service.

• Free calls to landlines and mobile phones: Calling is free to landlines in more than 60 countries and to mobile phones in 10. Rates to other countries are competitive with other VoIP providers and are based on calling plan.

• Best for: Residential users, salespeople and small businesses.

Profile picture of Ellen Muraskin
Ellen Muraskin VoIP Contributing Editor

Ellen Muraskin has been writing about telecom and IT since 1993 when she joined the marketing department of Dialogic. In 1996 she joined the editorial staff of CMP’s Computer Telephony Magazine, rising to Executive Editor before joining Ziff Davis Media to launch the VoIP topic center of their eweek.com site. She served as senior copywriter for IT infrastructure company Raritan and has written and edited for several publications.

Vonage Company Information