Consumer Reviews

• 4 stars16%
  • 3 stars7%
  • 2 stars4%
  • 1 stars7%

Make and receive calls using your home phone service anywhere you use a smartphone, know who’s calling your home number. Different from call forwarding, this new functionality allows shared use of a family’s home phone identity. Calls made to the home phone number will now ring on mobile phones at the same time so anyone in the household can immediately take important calls from doctors, children’s schools, home improvement professionals, friends and family. Gives you a second identity on your mobile phone and more control over when, how and where you communicate. HomePhone. Anywhere.

Vonage

JL. We’re delighted you took the time to provide your positive experience with Vonage! It is our aim to provide the best products and services for each customer!

Original review: April 6, 2016

I have been a Vonage customer since November 2014 and I have to say that it has always been great service and the team has always been very helpful. I used to have (until it was stolen) a USB drive that I could connect to my computer and make calls wherever I was. They value the fact that I have been a customer for such a long time. I think many service providers (e.g. AT&T) could learn a lot from this great company. Keep the good work!

Vonage

Eric! We’re delighted you took the time to provide your positive experience with Vonage! It is our aim to provide the best products and services for each customer!

Original review: Feb. 4, 2016

Service has never been interrupted! Love the extensions app for my smartphone. I can make and take calls using my home line. I have a 2 line box even though I only have one line. A few months ago the line died. It was actually the port on my device. Customer service was able to quickly troubleshoot and switch my line to port 2. This is the only issue I have had in almost 10 years!!

Vonage

Thank you, Theodore! We appreciate the time you spent to share your feedback! We’re happy to hear we were able to provide the right product to fulfill your needs.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2016

Service has been reliable and dependable.

Resolution In Progress

I have been having trouble to place international calls for a while. I called Vonage on Saturday and Sunday's nobody was able to help. The sad part is nobody wants to help. I tried to make Vonage representatives to create a ticket for my problem. They refused. The last representative was very rude he didn't want to listen me. I told him I want to talk to their supervisor. The Vonage representative said that supervisor is busy and she or he will call me in 10 minutes. I have been waiting for 5 hours. I think nobody cares. This is one of the worst experience I ever had.

Resolution In Progress

I have been long time (4 years) customer of Vonage and have never faced such terrible issues with poor sound quality. I'm making calls mostly with iPhone extensions app and experience mostly call drops (every 1-2 min), noise disturbance, choppy sound. To add to my problems is pathetic customer service (available 8 am to 2 am EST), and you get this info only after being on call for 10 min going thru IVR. After much efforts, I was able to express my problem to one of the technical expertise - (who start with standard answers like reinstall app, reset device, try different network type, try pin access calls etc.). After 1 week of continuous efforts, they understood my problem and escalated to top expertise with assigned ticket.

Now, I get an email asking for additional details like provide 3 call sample details (date, time, duration, quality). So in a way, they expected me to record these details rather than they debugging the outgoing calls. Even their QA dept is in best place to capture and analyze call samples but still they put on us on customers to record problems. Now, even after that I get another email saying the problem is resolved while the problem still exists with all the more choppy calls and signal disturbance. It was a great VOIP once, for which I never had second thoughts on paying $30 per month for unlimited good calling service, but with this kind of service I would prefer to stay out of it. Guess there are plenty of other VOIP services with much more cheaper rate of $9.99 per month and they definitely deserve a try.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vonage?

Resolution In Progress

I called Vonage in May, 2015 to order service. They, according to the sales person were running a 50 visa card promo to sign up which I did. I was to get an email. I did and I accepted offer. During the year I called twice about the card. First time I was told about a time restriction. The second time same thing but Indian rep kept me on the for an hour because she didn't know what to do. You can't get an American. They will not transfer call or provide an American number so you're stuck. She saw a 35.00 offer for me, I argued that was a 50.00 offer. She was to escalate problem. Guess what, no call. You can't get an American to save your soul.

Today I was on the phone again with Indian girl who kept saying "please hold for 2 mins" repeatedly. Called back got Luis. Very kind, put in a ticket and will follow up. I got an answer to my ticket within mins. No card was coming because when I spoke to rep last may he never put me in for the promo. I have been emailing back and forth with a Matt ** in advanced op support who won't honor what his sales rep promised. I told him I would cancel if I didn't get it. It was an issue of honor. He refused but sent a reply "Sorry to lose you. Here's how to cancel." All over a 50.00 offer. Luis had given me a change in payment which I accepted but I want what was promised.

When we first signed up for Vonage about three years ago, all was fine. But, now for the last few months, our calls (incoming/outgoing - doesn't matter) keep dropping. Sometimes the call drops under 2 minutes; other times as long as 10 or so, then drops. Over the weekend, I went to Vonage website. I couldn't find anything about this problem when I tried to search or reviewed the FAQs. I decided to use their "chat." The customer service person was helpful. Refreshed the line (or something like that) and I thought it would be fine. We had previously attempted to restart our modem which didn't work.

Two days later happened again. Husband called Vonage this time. They did something more to the line. He called me and after about 10 minutes, called dropped again. I called him, dropped again. The rep is supposed to call us tomorrow to see if we are still having an issue - answer YES. If not resolved I will have to look for another provider.

Vonage

Eleanor! We’re delighted you took the time to provide your positive experience with Vonage! It is our aim to provide the best products and services for each customer!

Original review: April 17, 2016

I love the pricing, the service when I call. My internet provider gives me more grief than I have ever had with Vonage. Thank you very much.

We have had nothing but problems with Vonage since we chose them for our phone service a few weeks ago. Customers are not able to contact us because the inbound caller who dials our number gets an out of service message when they dial us. Vonage tech support has been working on it for three days and we are still without service. We developed marketing materials with this number on it and they are now obsolete because we are not able to use the service. Vonage is dragging their feet and not returning calls as promised. We are very disappointed.

The salesperson sold me phone set plus long distance promotional offer at $10 cost. He confirmed with me that he is not putting me on auto payments, as I just wanted to try for one month before going with this plan. He didn't gave any information verbally and no agreement indicating that the payment on auto by default. I just suddenly realized they are deducting $11.34 every month. I never check my credit card statements regularly. When I checked yesterday, it was already 6 months. I called customer service. And the guy said he is not authorized to cancel my account and I need to call accounts dept. They transferred me there and the dept was already closed 1 hr ago and there was no voicemail option.

I called next day and the customer service agent said that it's 1 day over 6 months so they charged $35 + there was a cancellation fee too. First of all, how come one customer service agent don't have access to cancel my account and another could cancel? They just simply delayed to get money from my account. I never even made a single call with this plan. They never send any email that how their plan work. They just refused to refund my money and I paid more than $100 for nothing. This is a scam. I am using another long distance plan for just $20 a month from last 8 years and never had any issues. They are just fooling people to fill their pockets. Be aware and don't get trapped in their plans. Once you get trapped they are not gonna let you go without taking your hard-worked money.

I had multiple Vonage home accounts. I decided to go ahead and cancel them as I was not using them. After waiting on the queue for about an hours time I was finally able to get hold of the representative who cancelled them as I refused to downgrade. I got the cancellation email and everything, but what Vonage did is send me another email (that landed in spam) the very next day stating "Thank you for calling and reinstating the accounts". I never called them back to reinstate them. Eventually I saw the bill on my credit card and disputed it. Not they are calling me every day in spite of me telling them the whole thing. They want me to stand in that 1 hr queue, pay the money for the month. What a ridiculous company! Someone should sue them.

When talked to Vonage customer care and promised to delivered all the devices to home. Along with that if you purchase you'll get a $100 Vonage gift card after certain period of time (2 months) with 6 months of $9.99 + tax but we didn't know that there will be hidden charges included. So total monthly charge is $17.98. If this is the case we wouldn't have bought this because so many vendors are providing with lowest cost than $17.98. Moreover I am using it for only one country (which is India) and later I was chatting with Vonage customer care department. They said "you'll receive $100 gift card and you're eligible for that." But so far it's been 4 months I haven't received it at all.

How they are cheating and there are lots of hidden charges so I would not recommend this kind of connection and now they are saying "you're eligible to get only $50 gift card." I don't know how they are changing and even I can't cancel also because I am under one year contract and you need to pay $110 for termination fee which is really annoying and frustrating about these people. So PLEASE do check all these things before you buy VONAGE. I am very much dissatisfied.

From the day of installation to current disconnect the line is full of noise. Could not make any calls outside the local area, would get the call is outside of your calling area recordings. When attempting to call Vonage at their number would get busy signal right after dialing the number. They will try everything they can to not allow the cancellation. Then they hit you with a cancellation fee of $120.00. So much for good cheap service. When asked if they want their device internet to cat 3 phone converter they related not needed. Which indicates the quality they have in it.

The modem model I got from Vonage is ok and works like advertised if you have a stable and fast internet connection. I used Vonage for a long time. But pricing for the phone service got more and more expensive. So if you consider switching to a VOIP phone provider, make sure you check out the other ones too. When it comes to features for the money some other ones leading by far. Check out MagicJack. I had both parallel for over a year. I just switched my number over to the magicjack account and they have equal service at much lower cost. Their android app even lets you send and receive free text messages. So you can use your account to make free phone calls with your cell phone without burning minutes. My cell has an unlimited data plan so that works great for me.

Vonage is really bad when you try to break up with them (cancel the account). You cannot do it online, via email or in writing. The only way to cancel the account is to call a busy 800 number and listen to their hard sales tactics. You better go to a few timeshare presentations before you attempt to cancel with them. They are giving you a hard sales pitch. I would not sign up with them again. Anyone that makes joining easy and cancelling really hard is not playing with open cards. And it taked more than one attempt to get through a department that calls itself customer service.

They ran me around with the porting of my number for four days until in frustration I cancelled my service. Now they claim that a porting cannot be done with a cancelled service. They are running a scam where through actual or feigned incompetence they will not let you out of your service and hold the number hostage. I am sorry I ever got involved with these folks. DO not sign up with them unless you want to deal with scammers.

Vonage

Flormarie! We’re delighted you took the time to provide your positive experience with Vonage! It is our aim to provide the best products and services for each customer!

Original review: Feb. 9, 2016

I appreciate your service. You recently renewed my service for another year & gave me the same good rate. It did increase from $22 to $34 from one month to the next, but when I called to find out why, your representatives were nice and a supervisor gave me the same rate for another year. I really appreciate that because I am a one-income household & every penny really counts. Also, I never have a problem calling anywhere in the US and at any time. You do not charge me by the minute, so that is less to have to think about. Making things plain & simple is really good. Thank you.

Vonage

Amit! We’re delighted you took the time to provide your positive experience with Vonage! It is our aim to provide the best products and services for each customer!

Original review: Feb. 8, 2016

I have been using Vonage for almost a decade and have been satisfied with the performance and reliability. Also, the quality of service is directly dependent on the quality and bandwidth of the internet service you subscribe to. Slow internet speeds may affect quality of voice. With a decent internet service, I have never had any issues and in case of an internet outage, the Vonage app on my mobile gets me through the unexpected connectivity failures (not caused by Vonage).

I have been a Vonage home phone customer for years. I decided to use Vonage Business as well. They have a method of porting phone numbers and I requested they do not port my home phone service but they did. I am left without any home phone service. That is not all. They request I open a New Account, which I did with them on Friday, only to receive a call on Saturday that I need to fill out another form. That is after staying on the phone going from Vonage business to Vonage home phone service for over two hours on Friday.

I told them I was not going to do it over and over again and it is simply not my fault why the phone was turned off so they should turn it back on. It is now Sunday and I still have no home phone service. Their customer service - department kept transferring to different departments and then after all was over they ask me to type in my social Security number. After so many transfers the system would not accept the entries I made from my cell phone. Now I have two elderly mothers living us who rely on the home phone and there is no service. Why is it the customers responsibility to stay on the phone with different representatives for several hours when they did not authorize the porting of the number. Not only that they just turn off the phone - no email - nothing. I was told they receive payment in full.

One would believe the customer would be considered after being without phone service for so many days. My conclusion is the customer comes first. My phone is still off and it is Sunday afternoon. How can Vonage ask me to pay to turn the phone back on - when I did not ask them to turn it off. How can they ask me to complete New Application when I did not turn the phone off, How can Vonage start a new account when I did not turn the phone off - and most importantly did not ask them to turn the phone service off. I still don't have phone service, and they call my cell to tell me I need to do a new application. This is very poor service.

Vonage

Samuel! We’re delighted you took the time to provide your positive experience with Vonage! It is our aim to provide the best products and services for each customer!

Original review: Feb. 4, 2016

Years ago we had AT&T for home phone. After switching to Vonage we've been unable to tell any difference in sound quality or service. When we add in all of the features that would have been expensive additions to our AT&T account, Vonage is a great deal. Adding in the Vonage Extensions app to my smartphone makes it a no brainer.

Vonage

Thank you, Bernard for being a loyal customer! We appreciate the time you spent to share your feedback! We’re happy to hear we were able to provide the right product to fulfill your needs.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2016

Have Vonage for 10 years. Never had a problem with the service.

Vonage

Delia and Larry! We’re delighted you took the time to provide your positive experience with Vonage! It is our aim to provide the best products and services for each customer!

Original review: Feb. 3, 2016

Thank you for credit on my service for 2/2/2016. Your customer service was great. They keep a record and do what they say.

The worst customer service. Will give you one price when signing up and you will end up calling them all year through because they will bill you exactly double the price they quoted. Even after notifying them to cancel services, they will continue billing you. If you ask them to cancel service in the next month, their response will be “You have to call us on the exact day that your billing cycle ends to cancel service.” They live in the 70s.

Vonage

Great feedback, Stanley! We genuinely appreciate and value your opinion. We’re glad to hear that you’re happy with our service!

Original review: Feb. 1, 2016

I have had Vonage service at two homes for over 10 years and it is Excellent! Clarity, no lag, just like talking on the old hard wired land lines, but at a fraction of the cost. Customer service is also excellent. Keep up the great work!

Vonage

Barbara! We’re delighted you took the time to provide your positive experience with Vonage! It is our aim to provide the best products and services for each customer!

Original review: Feb. 1, 2016

Vonage is the best phone service around, with amazing prices that allow me to make international calls free of charge. I have never had a problem with my phone service in five years.

Vonage

Karl! We’re delighted you took the time to provide your positive experience with Vonage! It is our aim to provide the best products and services for each customer!

Original review: Feb. 1, 2016

As one who has very many contacts around the world who only infrequently need to contact me, it has been very important to me to carry both my telephone number and my service to wherever it needs to be. This is a key point for my happiness with Vonage. The online personal controls is another major selling point, in addition to competitive international rates with your international package.

Vonage

Thank you, Mary Lou! We appreciate the time you spent to share your feedback! We’re happy to hear we were able to provide the right product to fulfill your needs.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2016

Love my service.

Vonage

Great feedback, Holly! We genuinely appreciate and value your opinion. We’re glad to hear that you’re happy with our service!

Original review: Jan. 31, 2016

Great deals and service. Totally satisfied with Vonage.

Vonage

Great feedback, John! We genuinely appreciate and value your opinion. We’re glad to hear that you’re happy with our service!

Original review: Jan. 30, 2016

Customer Service Agent was very polite and professional, however, could not offer a better rate for my current calling plan. May have to switch to a minimal plan or cancel service.

I urge anyone using Vonage phone service to view their billing statement. I have been a long term customer and when questioning the calculation on the taxes on my bill no one could tell me and still cannot why I am being overbilled. The website and the care agents state the percent I should be billed however it does not match the amount billed. Their solution was to credit the account $50.00. This might seem like a nice gesture, however they still cannot provide why the tax's amounts are wrong. I have the last two years' bills and this has been the case. I have since requested my billing statement back from 2008 to see how long they have been mis-billing me.

Vonage

Great feedback, Roy! We genuinely appreciate and value your opinion. We’re glad to hear that you’re happy with our service!

Original review: Jan. 29, 2016

I had a question on my billing statement and couldn't find out how to locate within my Vonage account. With the help of your assistant he was able to inform me where to go and told me why a couple of phone numbers I had to pay for. Once it was all explained to me I was very satisfied with his response.

Vonage Company Profile