Consumer Reviews

• 4 stars16%
  • 3 stars7%
  • 2 stars3%
  • 1 stars9%

Make and receive calls using your home phone service anywhere you use a smartphone, know who’s calling your home number. Different from call forwarding, this new functionality allows shared use of a family’s home phone identity. Calls made to the home phone number will now ring on mobile phones at the same time so anyone in the household can immediately take important calls from doctors, children’s schools, home improvement professionals, friends and family. Gives you a second identity on your mobile phone and more control over when, how and where you communicate. HomePhone. Anywhere.

Vonage

JL. We’re delighted you took the time to provide your positive experience with Vonage! It is our aim to provide the best products and services for each customer!

Original review: April 6, 2016

I have been a Vonage customer since November 2014 and I have to say that it has always been great service and the team has always been very helpful. I used to have (until it was stolen) a USB drive that I could connect to my computer and make calls wherever I was. They value the fact that I have been a customer for such a long time. I think many service providers (e.g. AT&T) could learn a lot from this great company. Keep the good work!

Vonage

Eric! We’re delighted you took the time to provide your positive experience with Vonage! It is our aim to provide the best products and services for each customer!

Original review: Feb. 4, 2016

Service has never been interrupted! Love the extensions app for my smartphone. I can make and take calls using my home line. I have a 2 line box even though I only have one line. A few months ago the line died. It was actually the port on my device. Customer service was able to quickly troubleshoot and switch my line to port 2. This is the only issue I have had in almost 10 years!!

Vonage

Thank you, Theodore! We appreciate the time you spent to share your feedback! We’re happy to hear we were able to provide the right product to fulfill your needs.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2016

Service has been reliable and dependable.

Resolution In Progress

Horrible company. Vultures that illegally puts accounts in collections. My contract has been up with you for some time. I've called countless times for service not used to be turned off. Stay away from this company!

Vonage

Catherine! We’re delighted you took the time to provide your positive experience with Vonage! It is our aim to provide the best products and services for each customer!

Original review: Sept. 4, 2016

Just wanted to comment on the knowledgeable assistance I received from Vonage. After the nightmare of incorrect billing from Frontier which took dozens of phone calls and disconnections, I had enough and contacted Vonage. There have been minor glitches, but I am happy with the service and resolution of the glitches. No long waits for help or disconnected service calls. Thanks Vonage.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vonage?

Resolution In Progress

I've been a Vonage customer for 9 yrs, but will be looking into canceling my service now. Today, after learning that I couldn't receive calls on my home phone, I endured long wait times on hold before finally being connected with a Customer Service Rep. That resulted in a lengthy 45 min. call that didn't resolve the issue properly. After having me disconnect ALL the phones in my house, then go around and reconnect them all again, she finally said that the Vonage device was defective... which, of course I'd already told her that in the very beginning of our conversation.

She said she would send me a new Vonage modem free of charge - but I was going to have to pay the $9.95 shipping charge. I wasn't happy about that since it's their device that went bad... not my phones. I was told the new modem would arrive in 2-3 business days. That means since this is Thursday, I won't be able to receive any calls until next week. Well, I consoled myself with the fact that "at least I can still call out in the meantime." WRONG!

I discovered after the call with the Service Rep, that now I don't have any dial tone at all & can't even call out! So I called Vonage back AGAIN to see if the Rep had deactivated my current equipment by mistake - which is what I suspected. I was told that when they order new equipment they automatically deactivate the old equipment. That made me very angry! I asked them why I hadn't been told that BEFORE they did it... especially since I could still make calls - just couldn't receive them! She apologized & said the other Rep should have, indeed, told me it would be deactivated.

She wanted to walk me thru downloading the Vonage App on my cellphone so I could use them to make calls. I told her that's not the point or the problem. I have unlimited service with Sprint & don't need them to make calls on my cell. The problem is my home phone! I have separate phones for a reason! I work in show business & I don't want everyone who has my home number to have my cellphone number (and vice-versa), but now, because I'm forced to make calls from my cell ONLY I can't control that. She forwarded incoming calls from my home phone to my cell, which I'm not happy about either, because now my cellphone is ringing off the hook with even more calls!

Before the call ended I asked her to transfer me to a Supervisor or someone I could register a complaint with. She asked what I wanted to complain about. I told her I wanted to complain about their Customer Service. I said they should NOT have deactivated my old equipment until I had received the new equipment because l had a dial tone & could still make calls out. I said I have DirecTV, and have had to order replacement equipment from them on occasion, but they didn't take my whole system down before I received the new equipment! (They also didn't charge me to ship the new equipment to replace their faulty old equipment!)

Their Old equipment is deactivated when the new equipment is plugged in and activated. Why doesn't Vonage do the same? And at the very least, I should have been informed ahead of time so l would know what I was consenting to. She said she'd make a note in my account & pass on my suggestions - which, of course, I knew was just her way of getting me off the phone.

So, now my next calls are going to be to my internet, cellphone, and satellite TV providers to see how much it will cost to move my home phone service over to them from Vonage (I have separate providers for each ON PURPOSE). After 8 years of telling people they should try Vonage, I will now be telling everyone NOT to use Vonage. This is the 2nd issue I've had with them in the past year that was not resolved satisfactorily. After reading the myriad of complaints from other Vonage users, I now realize their Customer Service is NOT focused on "Customer Service" at all. It's focused on nickel & diming people to death! My monthly service has more than doubled, but the quality of their service has gone down, instead of going up - or even staying the same.

I guess it's another case of "All good things must come to an end." Too bad, because it was very good for a long time. I don't know what's happened or what's been going on with that company over the past 8 years that I've been their Customer, but something has definitely changed and this is NOT the same Vonage I signed up for! Stay away! There's too many other choices out there now. Do your homework and if you value Customer Service, this is definitely NOT the company you want.

Resolution In Progress

I have been with Vonage over 2 years because they have always been responsive and provided good service. So when I decided to add a new line to my house I naturally called Vonage. I am sorry to say I have been thoroughly disappointed in my recent transactions with Vonage. I have had to call 4 times trying to get a single line added. The 2nd time I called I was on the phone for over 2 hours and when the call was completed I still didn't have a functioning 2nd line. I called initially and asked for the 2nd line, specifically requested a separate modem, separate number, and separate account. It was during the 2nd call that I discovered that these specifications had not been carried out. Both lines were under the same account. All the trouble started when I requested that the new number be removed and given its own account. I talked to 4 people and accomplished nothing.

The first rep I talked to practically refused to allow me to speak with his supervisor. I believe I would have been more successful calling the White House and asking to speak to President Obama. When I did get his supervisor on the phone we conclude our business in about 5 to 7 minutes. The next rep I spoke with was Stephanie. Stephanie was knowledgeable, professional and efficient. However the last rep I spoke with is in dire need of retraining. She finally informed me that I should call back the next day, merely give a rep my PIN and they would add my MAC ID to my new account and my phone would be activated. Well I called the next morning and I gave the rep my PIN number and I recited my MAC ID for her. I also explained I was in a hurry because I was on my out the door to an appointment. She informed me the MAC ID I provided was invalid because it was assigned to my primary account.

Now I am truly frustrated. She wanted me to wait on hold while she checked with her Supervisor as to what she should do. I reminded her I didn't have time for that. So I had to forego my plans for later that day because I still did not have an active 2nd line. To add insult to injury one of the reps shipped another modem to me. That will require me to go to the Post Office to return the unneeded modem. I will call Vonage again tomorrow. Hopefully I will get a fully trained rep that can finally get my accounts straightened out. Frustrated long time customer.

Vonage

Thank you, Keith! We appreciate the time you spent to share your feedback! We’re happy to hear we were able to provide the right product to fulfill your needs.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2016

Although my experience of using Vonage is not perfect and that the quality of the line is sometimes rather poor, overall I would highly recommend it. It is very much cheaper than our previous experience using a normal landline. In addition to this we can add mobile phones to our system so that calls can be made, using the Vonage system when away from home and we can also receive incoming calls, even when out of the country. We are in England and I can phone my partner when she's out of the country just by dialing our home number, provided she has a good connection. We have also arranged for any voice messages to be sent to us both by email. Overall I think the system is brilliant and I think everyone should use it where possible.

Resolution In Progress

We signed up for Vonage back in Feb 2016 but with multi conversation with Vonage tech and our tech people we were unable to set it up so we decided to stay with what we had. The sad part is it was never setup but yet they continued to charge my card, to the tune of 1500.00. Every month they would send an email that they were charging my card. I replied saying “We do not have your service please cancel.” This went on until I called American Express to block payment. As they could see I wasn't using their service. They didn't care. They said “You had to call to cancel” but yet their tech people knew back in Feb. that it wasn't setup. I guess the tech people don't talk to billing dept. They knew damn well it was connected.

I opened an account with Vonage Business porting my home phone number and had trouble with the equipment. I decided to use my cell phone provider for business and therefore wanted to port my existing home number from Vonage Business to Vonage Residential. I was told this would be simple. It has been 21 days and I still have 50% of service! I can make phone calls but I can't receive calls on my original number. Every time I call and speak to Technical Support they tell me the same story line and I am asked to wait another 24-48 hours. I then call 48 hours later and start from the beginning again. I have been promised return calls that I never receive. I have been promised emails that I never receive. I have not canceled my account because I am still hoping to salvage my home phone number.

Today, a Vonage Business tech person said, "Perhaps Vonage Residential doesn't understand all of the steps it takes to port a number between Vonage Business to Vonage Residential." Really, you think so?! I have been offered few apologizes for the "inconvenience" of not being able to be reached at my home number. Finally yesterday, I had a supervisor tell me that the charges would be reverse. For the past 21 days I have been paying both Vonage Business and Vonage Residential. Time will tell if the charges do get reversed. I could not be more dissatisfied!

Not able to cancel account... Chat option doesn't work. Phone calls - they don't pick.

Vonage service is awful! Their customer service is even worse! Stay away from Vonage. They will suck you into some sort of contract and charge you more than you expect to be charged. Customer service sucks!! It should not take 45 minutes to cancel an account.

Promotions are fraud, don't trust them. They claimed they mailed it to me but I never received it. They can check the record if it was used or not and by who. I spent hours on this and they refer you from one place to another to their partners who will present you many sales pitches and tries to sell you cruises and you name it. Don't trust them since their promotions are fraud. Contacted THE CEO but I don't expect much from them.

I have tried to call Vonage prior to today to cancel a service but with the long wait time forgot to cancel. I tried this afternoon and spent an hour waiting to be transferred to another line that made me wait for another LONG period of time. I eventually had to hang up. Customer service is so important that waiting for a really long period of time to talk to a rep is UNACCEPTABLE. This bad customer service does not and will not make me recommend anyone from buying their service, no matter how inexpensive their services are. I'm surprised they still have this big building in Holmdel NJ and no one has tried to sue them for the WORST customer service/business in the phone industry. Totally ridiculous!

The technical support can't resolve the clicking in my phone service. The clicking started a week ago and I have been using the same phone, but they want me to buy a different phone to satisfy their service issues. I will be looking for another service provider ASAP!

Promotional price period is long enough that the customer does not know exactly when the promotional period ends, price more than doubles. Because you must use auto-pay you never find out until the payment comes out of your bank. If you call the same day as the transaction and try to cancel you are not allowed to receive a refund.

Consumer Increased Rating!

Resolution response: July 21, 2016

Vonage allowed me to cancel my service via email with management staff.

Original review: July 20, 2016

After Vonage more than doubled my bill so the payment was more than I was paying with my former phone company, I've tried to cancel my account. I'm past the contract period so I should be able to cancel with no penalty. I tried to cancel my service online but it informed me that I had to call. So I called, put on hold for 15 minutes, then disconnected. For last 3 days this has been going on, so I went to the online chat. All I got was an apology. No help at all. I've already started a new service with Ooma but can't get the old service cancelled. Any polite suggestion.

HORRIBLE. NEVER FALL INTO THE TRAP and FAKE OFFERS. YOU WON'T GET ANYTHING BUT RUDE CUSTOMER SERVICE AND HEAVY BILLS. I joined Vonage service in January 2016 under New Year promotions which offered $100 Visa card for an Year subscription. The calling rates are too high but considering $100, I thought it would be adequate. I signed up to Vonage and applied the code. System accepted the code and register my account under promotion. They offered 30 days return but the gift card is awarded after 2-3 months of service.

After 6 months of wait, when I didn't get the $100 card, I asked the customer care for the updates. In return they said my account information doesn't eligible for any promotion and I won't get anything. In addition to that, if I cancel now, I had to pay fine and cancellation charges as my account was under 1 year subscription.

I payed all the additional penalties and fee and get out of Vonage immediately. There are other cheap and quality options available which are far better than Vonage. I am never ever going to recommend Vonage to my friends or family. Please stay away for the TRAP, crappy system and rude customer service.

I have been having trouble to place international calls for a while. I called Vonage on Saturday and Sunday's nobody was able to help. The sad part is nobody wants to help. I tried to make Vonage representatives to create a ticket for my problem. They refused. The last representative was very rude he didn't want to listen me. I told him I want to talk to their supervisor. The Vonage representative said that supervisor is busy and she or he will call me in 10 minutes. I have been waiting for 5 hours. I think nobody cares. This is one of the worst experience I ever had.

I have been long time (4 years) customer of Vonage and have never faced such terrible issues with poor sound quality. I'm making calls mostly with iPhone extensions app and experience mostly call drops (every 1-2 min), noise disturbance, choppy sound. To add to my problems is pathetic customer service (available 8 am to 2 am EST), and you get this info only after being on call for 10 min going thru IVR. After much efforts, I was able to express my problem to one of the technical expertise - (who start with standard answers like reinstall app, reset device, try different network type, try pin access calls etc.). After 1 week of continuous efforts, they understood my problem and escalated to top expertise with assigned ticket.

Now, I get an email asking for additional details like provide 3 call sample details (date, time, duration, quality). So in a way, they expected me to record these details rather than they debugging the outgoing calls. Even their QA dept is in best place to capture and analyze call samples but still they put on us on customers to record problems. Now, even after that I get another email saying the problem is resolved while the problem still exists with all the more choppy calls and signal disturbance. It was a great VOIP once, for which I never had second thoughts on paying $30 per month for unlimited good calling service, but with this kind of service I would prefer to stay out of it. Guess there are plenty of other VOIP services with much more cheaper rate of $9.99 per month and they definitely deserve a try.

Updated on 07/28/2016: When I decided to cancel my account instead of addressing my concerns the rude account manager canceled my account with $104.15 as early termination charges (for pending 8 months of contract). Even before entering contract, I had raised similar concern that what if I face technical issue during my tenure for which they had ensured they will provide best technical support to address concerns and if at all it comes to account closure will be happy to close it without any charges. Today, I had to pay hefty amount just to get out of Vonage.

Guess, this is new method used wherein people like me fall into promotions and instead of honoring our commitment, they care less when you actually into the contract. Even while canceling, the account manager was asking me to keep account active, instead of paying termination fees in one go and did not even bother to address my actual technical issue which I raised in first place. Guess, all they cared was to maintain my account contract, instead of fixing their infra issue. I would like to advise, stay away from Vonage promotions, never get into contract & also get everything in writing because they never honor their words which they speak during account setup. There are numerous calling cards available, which offer cheap calling without any contract and if dissatisfied you can always switch without paying any hefty penalty. All such cards offer unlimited calling for $9.99 which will still less compared to Vonage (even under promotion).

I called Vonage in May, 2015 to order service. They, according to the sales person were running a 50 visa card promo to sign up which I did. I was to get an email. I did and I accepted offer. During the year I called twice about the card. First time I was told about a time restriction. The second time same thing but Indian rep kept me on the for an hour because she didn't know what to do. You can't get an American. They will not transfer call or provide an American number so you're stuck. She saw a 35.00 offer for me, I argued that was a 50.00 offer. She was to escalate problem. Guess what, no call. You can't get an American to save your soul.

Today I was on the phone again with Indian girl who kept saying "please hold for 2 mins" repeatedly. Called back got Luis. Very kind, put in a ticket and will follow up. I got an answer to my ticket within mins. No card was coming because when I spoke to rep last may he never put me in for the promo. I have been emailing back and forth with a Matt ** in advanced op support who won't honor what his sales rep promised. I told him I would cancel if I didn't get it. It was an issue of honor. He refused but sent a reply "Sorry to lose you. Here's how to cancel." All over a 50.00 offer. Luis had given me a change in payment which I accepted but I want what was promised.

When we first signed up for Vonage about three years ago, all was fine. But, now for the last few months, our calls (incoming/outgoing - doesn't matter) keep dropping. Sometimes the call drops under 2 minutes; other times as long as 10 or so, then drops. Over the weekend, I went to Vonage website. I couldn't find anything about this problem when I tried to search or reviewed the FAQs. I decided to use their "chat." The customer service person was helpful. Refreshed the line (or something like that) and I thought it would be fine. We had previously attempted to restart our modem which didn't work.

Two days later happened again. Husband called Vonage this time. They did something more to the line. He called me and after about 10 minutes, called dropped again. I called him, dropped again. The rep is supposed to call us tomorrow to see if we are still having an issue - answer YES. If not resolved I will have to look for another provider.

Vonage

Eleanor! We’re delighted you took the time to provide your positive experience with Vonage! It is our aim to provide the best products and services for each customer!

Original review: April 17, 2016

I love the pricing, the service when I call. My internet provider gives me more grief than I have ever had with Vonage. Thank you very much.

We have had nothing but problems with Vonage since we chose them for our phone service a few weeks ago. Customers are not able to contact us because the inbound caller who dials our number gets an out of service message when they dial us. Vonage tech support has been working on it for three days and we are still without service. We developed marketing materials with this number on it and they are now obsolete because we are not able to use the service. Vonage is dragging their feet and not returning calls as promised. We are very disappointed.

The salesperson sold me phone set plus long distance promotional offer at $10 cost. He confirmed with me that he is not putting me on auto payments, as I just wanted to try for one month before going with this plan. He didn't gave any information verbally and no agreement indicating that the payment on auto by default. I just suddenly realized they are deducting $11.34 every month. I never check my credit card statements regularly. When I checked yesterday, it was already 6 months. I called customer service. And the guy said he is not authorized to cancel my account and I need to call accounts dept. They transferred me there and the dept was already closed 1 hr ago and there was no voicemail option.

I called next day and the customer service agent said that it's 1 day over 6 months so they charged $35 + there was a cancellation fee too. First of all, how come one customer service agent don't have access to cancel my account and another could cancel? They just simply delayed to get money from my account. I never even made a single call with this plan. They never send any email that how their plan work. They just refused to refund my money and I paid more than $100 for nothing. This is a scam. I am using another long distance plan for just $20 a month from last 8 years and never had any issues. They are just fooling people to fill their pockets. Be aware and don't get trapped in their plans. Once you get trapped they are not gonna let you go without taking your hard-worked money.

I had multiple Vonage home accounts. I decided to go ahead and cancel them as I was not using them. After waiting on the queue for about an hours time I was finally able to get hold of the representative who cancelled them as I refused to downgrade. I got the cancellation email and everything, but what Vonage did is send me another email (that landed in spam) the very next day stating "Thank you for calling and reinstating the accounts". I never called them back to reinstate them. Eventually I saw the bill on my credit card and disputed it. Not they are calling me every day in spite of me telling them the whole thing. They want me to stand in that 1 hr queue, pay the money for the month. What a ridiculous company! Someone should sue them.

When talked to Vonage customer care and promised to delivered all the devices to home. Along with that if you purchase you'll get a $100 Vonage gift card after certain period of time (2 months) with 6 months of $9.99 + tax but we didn't know that there will be hidden charges included. So total monthly charge is $17.98. If this is the case we wouldn't have bought this because so many vendors are providing with lowest cost than $17.98. Moreover I am using it for only one country (which is India) and later I was chatting with Vonage customer care department. They said "you'll receive $100 gift card and you're eligible for that." But so far it's been 4 months I haven't received it at all.

How they are cheating and there are lots of hidden charges so I would not recommend this kind of connection and now they are saying "you're eligible to get only $50 gift card." I don't know how they are changing and even I can't cancel also because I am under one year contract and you need to pay $110 for termination fee which is really annoying and frustrating about these people. So PLEASE do check all these things before you buy VONAGE. I am very much dissatisfied.

From the day of installation to current disconnect the line is full of noise. Could not make any calls outside the local area, would get the call is outside of your calling area recordings. When attempting to call Vonage at their number would get busy signal right after dialing the number. They will try everything they can to not allow the cancellation. Then they hit you with a cancellation fee of $120.00. So much for good cheap service. When asked if they want their device internet to cat 3 phone converter they related not needed. Which indicates the quality they have in it.

The modem model I got from Vonage is ok and works like advertised if you have a stable and fast internet connection. I used Vonage for a long time. But pricing for the phone service got more and more expensive. So if you consider switching to a VOIP phone provider, make sure you check out the other ones too. When it comes to features for the money some other ones leading by far. Check out MagicJack. I had both parallel for over a year. I just switched my number over to the magicjack account and they have equal service at much lower cost. Their android app even lets you send and receive free text messages. So you can use your account to make free phone calls with your cell phone without burning minutes. My cell has an unlimited data plan so that works great for me.

Vonage is really bad when you try to break up with them (cancel the account). You cannot do it online, via email or in writing. The only way to cancel the account is to call a busy 800 number and listen to their hard sales tactics. You better go to a few timeshare presentations before you attempt to cancel with them. They are giving you a hard sales pitch. I would not sign up with them again. Anyone that makes joining easy and cancelling really hard is not playing with open cards. And it taked more than one attempt to get through a department that calls itself customer service.

They ran me around with the porting of my number for four days until in frustration I cancelled my service. Now they claim that a porting cannot be done with a cancelled service. They are running a scam where through actual or feigned incompetence they will not let you out of your service and hold the number hostage. I am sorry I ever got involved with these folks. DO not sign up with them unless you want to deal with scammers.

Vonage Company Profile