Call toll free
3.41/5
Based on 195 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Call toll free

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Make and receive calls using your home phone service anywhere you use a smartphone, know who’s calling your home number. Different from call forwarding, this new functionality allows shared use of a family’s home phone identity. Calls made to the home phone number will now ring on mobile phones at the same time so anyone in the household can immediately take important calls from doctors, children’s schools, home improvement professionals, friends and family. Gives you a second identity on your mobile phone and more control over when, how and where you communicate. HomePhone. Anywhere.

Vonage Video
A+BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Jan. 30, 2018

2150 Vonage Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

Fraud Vonage - This is regarding account no. ** for refund. They charged my card and suspended account on 23 Jan. While I clearly told before signing up to use India card. Customer care is transferring me to many departments and at last I am send to IVR. No response at all. Bother account is being activated nor money is being refunded. Feeling helpless. Extremely unprofessional people. They wanted USA address to activate account and I put in one of my known persons address and USA Phone no of the person who referred me. Account set up team was fully aware of about the fact that I am using India card which does not have USA billing address. Every team wants to complete theirs target and do not want to take responsibility.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

When you have a problem with the phone system you may be in for a bad day. After two hours of silly troubleshooting and countless time spent on hold, I now get a call that they have a problem with their system which is causing my dropped calls. They made me do things like, reboot my router, which surprise surprise disconnects our call, and instead of calling right back I get a call back nearly an hour later. That hour I spent on hold with them trying to get my issue resolved because I had no idea the guy would call back and I could not just cross my fingers. We have a business to run and phones play a big part in that.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2017

Do not let this company trick you into a contract. After six months, your bill more than doubles and you have to pay $80 to get out of the contract. The bill you end up with is not made clear when you sign up. My cellphone service is less than I pay for this limited service, and my cellphone bill includes unlimited data with no contract. This service is a rip-off.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2017

Dec 6th, 2017, I ordered vonage (not capitalized on purpose to show disdain for company) and received their device promptly. After that, all downhill. After 24 days without my number being transferred, I cancelled service (supposed to take ten days. Excuse: trying to find third party to do transfer. After 21 days: Trying to find third party to transfer number. Where have I heard this before?). Now all I get is the run around. No one knows where my ported number is. It has gone to the great number heaven, I suppose. Will I get my number back? Who knows. It may be time to change that number, after over 30 years with that number. vonage lacks the tact and apparently, the ability to get the job done and have a satisfied customer, at least not me. I cannot recommend this outfit to sneak up on a cup of coffee much less phone service.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2017

For years we've had either garbled or low quality voice calls. I've called them no less than 10 times about it, gotten upgrade hardware. We have 20 Mbps to our house, so that's not the issue. It's just a very poor service. Beyond that, I just found out they've been charging me $35/month for 3 years. Shame on me for not noticing. They enticed me in with a promotion and then I never noticed that the bill got jacked from $9.99 to $24.99 on one of my lines.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vonage?

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

Vonage has been terrible. I have had so called service with them for 5 months now. The service has be intermittent with people telling me they get a "number not working" message and can't get through to me. Now they tell me after 5 months that my phone # wasn't ported correctly from my previous carrier and I can get a new phone # with them. I am very upset as I have had this # for years. Currently they will only email me and I can't get any help from technical support as they say my issue has been upgraded to a higher status. What a joke, a higher status means not being able to speak directly with anyone. This company is terrible! Terrible. For lack of a better word - Terrible! I can't post this without giving 1 star - they don't even deserve that!

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

We started Vonage service 2 months back. Haven't been able to make a single call. Coz the call drops after the first 2-3 seconds. And we've just been calling Vonage and our Internet service providers back and forth. Unable to resolve the issue. Vonage won't give us our money back.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

When I first started using Vonage in 2015 for my business calls I was very happy. This last year the service has declined. Using the mobile app to make business calls off of my cell phone using my business line has been awful. While on a call if a second call came in it would cut me off from hearing my client but the client could still hear me or it would disconnect my call all together. The cost also has steadily increased so I looked around and found a much better company for a third of the cost. When I called Vonage to ask questions about porting my number away and canceling the service I was not told that Vonage bills a month in advance and WILL NOT refund any of my unused month with them.

I called Vonage a week before the porting happened, the bill came out of my account on a Monday, the phone number ported away on Tuesday, and I received the notice from Vonage on Wednesday that it had ported. So for basically one day of service (Monday) I am billed over $80.00 with absolutely no refund. My business is run on doing what is right for my clients and I would refund back any unused dollars just so that I might win that business back in the future. What concept! Also, I did receive an email this week that they had been billing taxes incorrectly and that I will see a separate bill for the difference owed on the taxes.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

You're going to want to hear this ladies and gentlemen... I have been with Vonage for almost 10 years. I discontinue the service because my wife currently resides in America and no longer lives in the Philippines. My account has always been just a month-to-month account. I have never signed any agreement for anything other than that... Now they are taking me to collections and I've tried telling them to please leave me alone but they continue to harass me when I've already told them that I no longer want their service. Please keep in mind, I have been a long loyal customer. I will now never use their service again if the opportunity presents itself in the future. I will tell everyone I know not to use that service. There are other companies out there that are far better than Vonage. You can even pick up calling cards that will give you better time for your money. Buyer beware...

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

I had Vonage service for a year, I had one year contract, I canceled my account right after my one year with them. They charged me for early cancellation without telling me, now when I try to talk to them their phone system wont let me. The lady in charge of the cancellation is very rude.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

We had 7 phones in our office all connected to Vonage. Vonage could never get our phones to work in conjunction with each other. Over the 6 months or so that we were with Vonage, every time I would call in to the customer assistance department, I would be on the phone for at the minimum 3 hours (not exaggerating one bit). Even after that there would still be complications. I once spent a good 5 hours or more on the phone. At the end of these calls, they would tell me that I need to speak to a specialists.... Call back. "I am a specialists... I can help you". No, you can't help me. The last person told me to ask the person who answers the phone for a specialist... Well the so called Specialist, if there is such a classification, cannot help either...

At one time, they wanted to blame our IT department, our IT department stated that it is impossible for it to be an IT issue. Sure enough the next person that I called with Vonage told me that it couldn't be an IT issue!!! I was then told, that my internet connection must be the problem, which AT&T is somewhat slow. Best answer we got from Vonage was, 'well since this office phone isn't working, we will just transfer it to a cell phone, until we can figure out the problems.'

So I switched to Cox Communications which was more expensive than AT&T, but my internet speed top notch quadrupled of AT&T and we still had the same problems. Dropped calls, no transferring from one office to another, phones only ringing once, secretaries' phone not working, a different phone stops working and on and on and on. Save yourself a lot of headaches and stick with your regular phone lines. After at least 40 hours or more of phone calls ***NO EXAGGERATION***, there was still no help. I just had Cox phones installed today, they came on site to program the phones. Will update if I have any of the same issues.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

Do not subscribed to Vonage. The actual service was mediocre. The customer service along with the moronic voice prompts (that tell you to advise why you are calling and immediately when you start to speak the recorded message starts speaking again and then advises that it did not catch what you said) is horrendous. They raise the price they charge you and don't even advise you of the price increase so that you can terminate service. As most people simply set up their accounts with an auto-payment feature, they may not be aware of the increase until many months down the road. This practice is patently dishonest.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

Today was the worst experience customer service I had and that too from VONAGE FLOOR MANAGER. Last person on the planet I would talk to. My wife was trying to setup vonage extension on her android and she was having some issue and called customer service in morning, don't know what was explained but issue was not fixed. In evening I tried to speak with technician via chat but they were unable to understand issue and was total waste of time.

So I closed the chat and very next minute got calls on my home phone and cell phone at night without considering the it was late night, still Floor Manager from Vonage called and shouted on me explaining that all terms and conditions are online and asking me to don't call customer service and go online and check details online. Don't know who made such person customer service manager who don't know how to talk to customer. I am very much upset and the Big name of Vonage is fallen down from my eyes for the rest of my life and would make every possible effort to all my friends and family not to use Vonage only because of this customer service experience.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

Vonage pretends that they will give you a great deal on home phone service, but they overcharge you on taxes. And they will increase your price before they are supposed to. When you try to change your service to another company, they refuse to release your number for a couple of weeks. And then they lie and pretend that they aren't holding it when they are. And when they've really upset you about this, they send you an email, pretending that you have chosen to continue your home phone service with them and thanking you for doing so. IDIOTS!!!

Original review: Sept. 5, 2017

I received a letter from Vonage with an issue date back in March of 2017 stating that I was owed a refund of approximately $71. I was asked to submit certain information on the letter that was sent to me. This information was submitted on two separate occasions and apparently lost by Vonage internally. This letter stated that in the event I did not submit all of my paperwork or answers to their questions that the money would be transferred to my State's Unclaimed Property Department within the treasurer's office.

I have repeatedly gone online to check for this refund which is not there but Vonage insists it's been sent and provides me a link that I'm utilizing and again said money is not there. I have now been calling Vonage for several weeks as well as emailing their office and no one has responded as has been promised by different people. Whenever you call the corporate office in New Jersey you will probably get a voicemail with a woman's voice indicating that you must be calling after hours and or all of their representatives are busy.

I attempted to leave a voicemail there which I'm not sure whether or not was received but I did not hear back from them with reference to that call either. I have now spoken with account management located in the Philippines and I consistently get excuses not solution. When you called Vonage you could end up in a call center anywhere from the United States to India to the Philippines to I believe Guam and other places and each and every different location provides different information which makes this situation even more frustrating.

When I call and ask to speak to somebody who suggested I call him back I am told he is not in location that I have called although Vonage utilizes only one specific customer service number and it's random as to what call center you will end up at. I have been told on numerous occasions that I need to hang up and call back and maybe I will end up in the Philippines talking to the person I need to speak with. I have now spoken with at least 2 supposed managers in the account management department who indicated that my case has been accelerated and I should get a response within 72 hours. This acceleration was originally submitted over 2 weeks ago and still no responses.

I am not sure how to move forward at this time but I think my best course of action will be to file a claim in small claims court locally to get my refund since it has been six months since the original letter was issued and at least two months since this money was supposed to be transferred to my state treasurer. Enough is enough Vonage, I don't know why or how you can be this way with me. The funny thing about all this is that I have repeatedly gotten solicitation letters to come back to their service and I've asked for this to stop as I perceive this to be harassment especially since all the problems I have been having with them. Needless to say I canceled my service a long time ago and have absolutely no intention of ever going back to this incompetent company.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2017

I had VONAGE account. We moved to UK; so, I called up Vonage to cancel my service. I received a confirmation number for my cancellation. However, they kept on charging my credit card. Upon calling, they gave me very confusing and inaccurate explanation.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2017

For anyone who is looking to get service with Vonage (Business/Personal) be aware that they do not cover all of their fees on their quote and they will not do anything for you when you get your bill. You must add an additional $50-$60 to get a clearer picture of what your bill will be. The rep advised me that I could cancel the service. False advertising, poor customer service and their stand is they can do without you so go somewhere else. Try RingCentral. They have a great system and are clear on their fees. Most importantly they treat you like they want your business.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2017

I have been using Vonage phone services since 2009. I recently had problem with services from Vonage extension app. There were few calls made using Vonage extension app when I visited India. I used the Wifi only mode in the extension. I see a shocking bill from my wireless service provider that Vonage access numbers were charged as International calling number $3 per minute. I called the Vonage customer service and explained to them. The customer service representative have told they did not have ability to check whether these calls were made using wifi or cellular data, and they told their system is perfect and will not take any action. What.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2017

It may say in the fine print somewhere but when I transferred my landline number to Vonage, I was without incoming calls for a full day. My previous service was discontinued so I could not revert back to that for the day. I use this number for a variety of things. Right now I am waiting for a doctor's office to call with an appointment. Among the other things - I also work from home and customers, associates, etc. have this number. I cannot be contacted for 24 hours.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2017

I had an agreement with Vonage for $24/month for basic phone service; they took $40/month out of my bank account, the total amount stolen was $165. Huntington Bank said they couldn't have done this without some sort of electronic agreement. I NEVER AGREED TO ANYTHING LIKE THIS, I was never notified or knew anything about it. Vonage obviously forged an agreement to steal money out of my bank account. Vonage is a criminal company, run by criminals, and this is the sort of thing criminals do. Don't take my word for it, legal actions and settlements against this sleazy criminal company are all over the Internet. I have DOCUMENTATION for everything I've said, if anyone wants to contact me, **. Avoid this sleazy, lying, cheating company at all costs. I give them one star only because zeros and negatives aren't available.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2017

I made call to India from Vonage digital card. Phone was ringing. No one pick up the phone. I disconnected and there was charges. This is scam. I called the customer service but they said they can't refund the money. Very dissatisfied and very bad experience.

Original review: July 31, 2017

I love my Vonage. I did however refer a friend, Vicki **, who did get your service in her business. It is a 501c, and she was thrilled to save over $4000 per year, as well as having each employee/volunteer have their own extension. However, because I referred Vicki ** instead of the Workshop, I did not receive a bonus when she signed up. This happened a few years ago. Any help?

Original review: July 29, 2017

Contacted Vonage customer service and Francisco assisted me in resolving the problem. Very professional and patient considering that I had to follow technical instruction (unplugging, re-connecting cables between the Vonage box and my router), which is not all that easy for me to do.

Vonage response

Thank you for your positive review. We're really glad to hear that our Representative was able to help you with your issue.

Original review: July 29, 2017

In May 2017 I attempt to cancelled service with Vonage due to leaving to Europe. Couple weeks later I have received email from Vonage stating that I owe money for their services. I have been trying to send email back to Vonage but this is impossible. They instruct me that I must call to cancel services or to even get in touch with representative. I do not have phone connection. Only way I can communicate is by email or WhatsUp. It cost me a lot to contact Vonage from Europe via AT&T. Finally I contact Vonage customer service and ask to cancel again my phone number. Unfortunately I am still receiving progressive phone bills from Vonage. At this moment I have no way to contact Vonage again and I do not know when exactly I will be back home. I am really very upset and hopeless. Situation is very upsetting. I hope you have way to contact them and finally cancel my phone service with Vonage. Below find my phone number. If necessary I can apply my Vonage bills but I will have to make a pictures of them. Please let me know if this is necessary.

Original review: July 28, 2017

I really love that I can talk to my family in the United Kingdom, Australia and Switzerland without having to worry about the cost of the calls. Also like Vonage extensions which allows me to use my mobile phone when abroad without paying for expensive calls.

Vonage response

Thank you Maureen! We appreciate the time you spent to share your feedback! We’re happy to hear you're enjoying the calling freedom that Vonage provides.

Original review: July 28, 2017

My wife, Raquel **, and I are glad to have Vonage, especially now that we are retired and living on a fixed income and decided to take the plan "pay-as-you-go", which is fantastic. The people at Vonage are so nice. My wife prefers to talk to them in Spanish, and they always answers her questions. Thank you very much, Vonage.

Vonage response

We're so happy that Vonage is able to meet your needs and expectations! Thank you for your review.

Original review: July 28, 2017

I like to use Vonage. Is easy and save time and money. The connection is good when the country the lines are Ok. But other of that, I call other countries and not a problem. Always get a good connection, the rate is good is fair not too much money for a minute. Thank you.

Vonage response

Thank you so much for your positive review! We love to hear that our customers are able to use our service and that it works well.

Original review: July 27, 2017

Lately I've been using the Vonage service to call to Colombia every night. The first nights the service was good. But since at least one week ago the quality of the service has decreased a lot. Calls that are answered somewhere else; defective signal; interrupted calls, etc. It's imperative that Vonage improve the quality of the service. Otherwise, you are going to lose customers, me included.

Original review: July 27, 2017

Answer machine has a weird repetitive menu. Otherwise service is excellent! I wish they would get that answering machine menu fixed. I know how to speed it up but it is annoying. Email missed phone calls is also excellent! Also your "honest billing" is light years ahead of your competition.

Original review: July 27, 2017

I have no complaints. I greatly appreciate your ability to block phone numbers when I am inundated by telemarketing calls from Microsoft, for example. For example, I received 7 calls from Microsoft over the course of 7 hours. Then you blocked another call from Microsoft at a later date from a non-800 number. Greatly appreciated.

Vonage response

Hi Erica, and thank you for the positive review. We're glad to hear that our features are working well for you.

Vonage Company Information

www.vonage.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use