Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.40/5

Make and receive calls using your home phone service anywhere you use a smartphone, know who’s calling your home number. Different from call forwarding, this new functionality allows shared use of a family’s home phone identity. Calls made to the home phone number will now ring on mobile phones at the same time so anyone in the household can immediately take important calls from doctors, children’s schools, home improvement professionals, friends and family. Gives you a second identity on your mobile phone and more control over when, how and where you communicate. HomePhone. Anywhere.

Start receiving calls today

Manage Your Business Phone System with Dash from VirtualPBX

Get started

Start receiving calls today

Manage Your Business Phone System with Dash from VirtualPBX

Get started

Vonage Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vonage?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vonage?

Original review: Feb. 22, 2021

I currently have Vonage and I'm not happy. I switch my residential line to a business one because I was informed by an agent that my caller ID would say my business name. Come to find out that didn't happened so now I'm stuck with a contract for and entire year. Also, I was informed that I was only going be paying a little over $40 and my bill was over $60. When I asked them, they said I had extra add-on's on there and I need to remove them. I did that and keep looking at my portal to make sure the price was right. Then, I was charged $60 again and they said that I was charged for add-ons I removed.... I even had two case numbers to prove my point. THEY ARE HORRIBLE.

Vonage response

We're sorry to hear that things haven't been going right so far, Bryan. We'd really like to help fix the problem. Please send us a private response with your Vonage account or phone number and we'll do our best to get everything resolved as soon as possible.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Feb. 16, 2021

I started services with Vonage Nov 2020, 2 weeks after service I let them know the business no longer exists and I was ill due to COVID so I can’t make payments. Rep assured me they would waive termination fee and to follow up in a few days. When I followed up, a different rep told me they cannot waive my fees and the other rep misinformed me. I escalated to a manager and was told the same thing. I never use the service and they continued to take my money until Feb 2021.

They called to collect payment and again I told them my previous complaint. They transferred me to billing and the guy pretended he couldn’t hear me, literally on the other end just breathing. No call back so I called again and this time the phone just rang. Called again and I was not able to speak to a live person so I used the chat feature. This rep told me he’s seen work around a before and he’s not sure why they didn’t try to resolve my issue. Now they are sending my account to collections. I saved all transcripts from chat conversations and recorded telephone calls. I never used the service and the company I had no longer exist. I can’t speak with a real person and no one tried to help me 2 weeks into the service and now months have gone by and I’ve paid them literally for nothing.

Vonage response

Hello Marcella, we'd really like to help fix the problem. Please send us a private response with your Vonage account or phone number so we can investigate your issue right away.

-The Vonage Team

Get buying tips about VoIP Internet Phone Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2021

I signed up for service at 14.99 for what I thought was a year. They raised my rate to 40.00 a month without notice. When I went online to cancel there is no option nor any instructions. After Googling how to cancel I got a number. Once I told the automated system I wanted to cancel I got dropped 3 time. Finally on the 4th try I was able to cancel after them trying to give me 14.99 a month for 12 months. No answer why I didn't have that rate for the first 12 months. I finally canceled with a 50.00 early termination fee. The service worked fine but I would never deal with this company and recommend you. Do your research before you get ripped off like I did.

Vonage response

We're really sorry to hear about your recent experience with Vonage, William. We'd like the chance to work with you to make things right. Please send us a private response with your Vonage account or phone number so we can work on resolving the problem.

-The Vonage Team

Original review: Feb. 5, 2021

Tried & failed to transfer number since 8/20. I've paid ever since, never using the service. They threatened collections for last bill and I still have to pay an early termination fee. VONAGE SUCKS!!!

Vonage response

We're really sorry to hear about your difficulties with your number transfer, Jennifer. We'd like the chance to work with you to make things right. Please send us a private response with your Vonage account or associated phone number so we can investigate the problem as soon as possible.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
      Original review: Feb. 3, 2021

I have had Vonage for over 11 years. In the last 2 years, I have not had reliable voicemail or calling service. I can be sitting right next to the phone waiting for an urgent phone call. The phone does not ring; it goes straight to voicemail. That's bad enough. On top of that, though, when it does go straight to voicemail I do not get a "message waiting" on my phone display; I do not receive an email that a voicemail message was left, So, I'm waiting for a critical, expected phone call from my doctor, the phone doesn't ring, it apparently goes to voicemail but I receive no notification that I have a message.

I have called Vonage on average 2-4 times a month concerning this. Every time, they "make an adjustment in the settings" that will fix the problem. Or they send me a new box and that will fix the problem. Or they escalate my ongoing issue to a supervisor and "I will receive a phone call within 24 hours". That doesn't happen either. I have asked for a reduction on my bill, which I have paid faithfully every month for over 11 years, and have been refused. I am at my wits' end. I do not know what recourse I have at this point. I am a senior citizen on a fixed income. I am unable to install a new system myself. I am unbelievably frustrated and wanted to voice how horrible this organization has become over the last few years. Customer service is non-existent. Stay away!!

Vonage response

We're really sorry to hear about your difficulties with Vonage, Rene. We'd like the chance to work with you to make things right. Please send us a private response with your Vonage account or phone number so we can work on the problem as soon as we can.

We hope to hear from you soon,

Resolution response: Feb. 8, 2021

Great service very happy. Received call from rep and he explained what the issues were with the account! Thank you so very much.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2021

I am very upset with Vonage Business regarding caller ID displaying wrong name. I have called twice, done chat at least twice. They indicate that they've updated settings, but IT CONTINUES TO DEFAULT TO THE WRONG NAME. I have tried to call Vonage Business a few times today and you cannot get anyone by phone. Worst company ever. Hate them.

Vonage response

We're sorry to hear that things haven't been going right so far, Sarah. We'd really like to help fix the problem. Please send us a private response with your Vonage account or phone number and we'll do our best to get everything resolved as soon as possible.

-The Vonage Team

Original review: Jan. 28, 2021

I signed up for free trial. After free trial was over I called and emailed to support multiple times to cancel my subscription. Zero help on support. No answers for multiple emails. Their Receptionist located In Philippines or India. After 8 months I give up to reason someone in that company and claimed fraud thru my bank. Very sad experience. Stay away from this scammers.

Vonage response

We're really sorry to hear about your difficulties with Vonage, Vildan. We'd like the chance to work with you to make things right. Please send us a private response with your Vonage account or phone number so we can work on the problem as soon as we can.

-The Vonage Team

Original review: Jan. 26, 2021

We were Vonage customers for 20 years. One day the credit card used for this account expired without us being aware of it. Vonage simply cancelled the account after a short period of time and kept our phone number. No letter, no phone call (they are a phone company aren't they?) to inform us what had happened. After 20 years! We weren't aware of this for an extended period of time, since we were still able to make outgoing calls. Eventually some friends told us that our line had been disconnected. Called Vonage and tried to work something out. No go. Used to be a good company. Now it's absolute drek (which is another way of saying that it's in the toilet)!

Vonage response

We're sorry to hear that things haven't been going right so far, Moshe. We'd really like to help fix the problem. Please contact us via private response with your Vonage account or phone number and we'll do our best to get everything resolved as soon as possible.

Please get in touch when it's convenient for you.

-The Vonage Team

Original review: Jan. 20, 2021

Their equipment is faulty. Yet they managed to charge me an early cancellation fee. Thieves. Plus almost $30/month for a service that sometimes worked and sometimes did not. I went back to my previous provider.

Vonage response

We're really sorry to hear about your difficulties with Vonage, Michael. We'd like the chance to work with you to make things right. Please send us a private response with your Vonage account or phone number so we can work on the problem as soon as we can.

-The Vonage Team

Original review: Jan. 18, 2021

Vonage tried to sign you into a one-year contract. They signed me under the wrong plan. They changed the plan twice but the charges were still way over the initial plan (Charged under surcharge and tax). When I called and canceled they quoted me that there was a canceled charge. While I disputed the change, they agree that it will go to the collection department and we will settle them. But on my back, without authorization, they charged my credit card illegally. They charge me a $20+ surcharge on the cancellation charge. This is the worst of the worst. When I called them, they cunningly detect my phone number and directed it to IVR without customer service representative options. Worst service. Go with other providers who offer the same/better service at a fraction of their cost. (E.g. CallIndia)

Vonage response

We're sorry to hear that things haven't been going right so far, Barney. We'd really like to help fix the problem. Please contact us via private response with your Vonage account or phone number and we'll do our best to get everything resolved as soon as possible.

Please get in touch when it's convenient for you.

Vonage author review by Ellen Muraskin

An industry-leading provider of telecommunications services, Vonage offers a complete range of VoIP solutions for home, business and on the go.​

• Business packages: First known for their residential service, Vonage offers a robust suite of small business services, including contact center, video conferencing and CRM integration.

• Unified communications: Unified communications across Vonage's private, managed MPLS network ensures quality audio and no dropped calls.

• Discounts: By signing up for a one-year contract, users can enjoy annual contract discounts.

• MobileConnect: Vonage’s MobileConnect app links your business extension to your mobile device, letting you make mobile calls through your Vonage Business phone service.

• Free calls to landlines and mobile phones: Calling is free to landlines in more than 60 countries and to mobile phones in 10. Rates to other countries are competitive with other VoIP providers and are based on calling plan.

by Ellen Muraskin VoIP Contributing Editor

Ellen Muraskin has been writing about telecom and IT since 1993 when she joined the marketing department of Dialogic. In 1996 she joined the editorial staff of CMP’s Computer Telephony Magazine, rising to Executive Editor before joining Ziff Davis Media to launch the VoIP topic center of their eweek.com site. She served as senior copywriter for IT infrastructure company Raritan and has written and edited for several publications.

Vonage Company Information