Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.44/5

Make and receive calls using your home phone service anywhere you use a smartphone, know who’s calling your home number. Different from call forwarding, this new functionality allows shared use of a family’s home phone identity. Calls made to the home phone number will now ring on mobile phones at the same time so anyone in the household can immediately take important calls from doctors, children’s schools, home improvement professionals, friends and family. Gives you a second identity on your mobile phone and more control over when, how and where you communicate. HomePhone. Anywhere.

Start receiving calls today

Manage Your Business Phone System with Dash from VirtualPBX

Get started

Start receiving calls today

Manage Your Business Phone System with Dash from VirtualPBX

Get started

Vonage Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vonage?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vonage?

Original review: Nov. 27, 2020

I have been a Vonage Business customer for many years. I ported a phone number a few months ago to Vonage. The number is now missing from my account. I submitted a case via their website... no response for over a week. I have tried calling to speak with a live person. The only live people are in the sales dept and they hung up on me twice after refusing to transfer me. Not sure when it changed... but Vonage Business' customer service has become terrible. The only tech support available is self-help or via chat. I started a chat request 23 minutes ago. The "position in queue" is blank... so, no idea how long this will take. Vonage Business is going to hear from my attorneys and I will be submitting a formal complaint to the FCC. If you are in the market for a VOIP phone system for your business, look elsewhere. This is not a business that values its customers.

Hi James,

We sincerely apologize for your recent experience. Please respond privately with your Vonage account or phone number and someone will reach out to assist.

- The Vonage Team

Original review: Nov. 10, 2020

I switch to Vonage about 11 years ago. Have spent last 4 years trying to portal my phone number out of Vonage. Every time tried it was not done and they would drop the bill back to from 10 to 14 dollar per month. Then before I would catch it it back at 45 to 65. I have this number on my business card and letterhead. The only thing I was able to do was cancel the account and get a new number from Suddenlink my old phone number is gone now. Vonage would never portal the number over. Then they send you a survey ask how you like poor person that you talked to NOT ANYTHING ABOUT VONAGE THEMSELF.

Vonage response

We're sorry to hear that things haven't been going right so far, Jeff. We'd really like to help fix the problem. Please contact us via private response with your account information and we'll do our best to get everything resolved as soon as possible.

Please get in touch when it's convenient for you.

-The Vonage Team

Get buying tips about VoIP Internet Phone Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Resolution response: Nov. 18, 2020

Vonage was able to resolve the issue. They apologized for any miscommunication from their support team. I think they need to raise the level of their front line support communication skills to avoid future customer complaints.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2020

We have been trying to transfer two numbers to Vonage since September 1st. One was ported the beginning of October. The 2nd one has been canceled 10 times. Every time I call Vonage, I'm either disconnected or a promised call back from a supervisor never happens. If I do reach someone, they tell me the same story, and ask to resubmit the transfer. They finally opened a complaint ticket. Then told me it was resolved and my number would transfer. Then it was canceled again. Their support is probably done from a call center overseas. I can't understand anyone that I speak with. There doesn't seem to be any urgency on their part to resolve this issue. I'm canceling my account. STAY AWAY FROM VONAGE.

Vonage response

We're really sorry to hear about your difficulties with Vonage, Cary. We'd like the chance to work with you to make things right. Please send us a private message with your account information we can work on the problem as soon as we can.

We hope to hear from you soon,

-The Vonage Team

Original review: Oct. 30, 2020

Vonage's reliability is not adequate. Unable to receive calls for 2 days and there is no customer support. Have sent e-mails with only response being a ticket is opened. Waited for over an hour on-hold to get through to customer service to only get that they are looking into it. "No Customers can reach us for over two days." Forwarding number is also not working. Replacing with a more reliable and responsive provider.

Vonage response

Hi Mike. Thanks for rating us - but we're sorry that you haven't been happy with Vonage. We'd really like to know the full story. Please send us a private message with your account number and we'll see if we can get things running more smoothly for you.

We hope to hear from you soon.

-The Vonage Team

Original review: Oct. 27, 2020

Vonage customer service is one of the worst customer service I have ever encountered. They absolutely refuse to work with the customer at all. Their business practices are deceptive and your monthly bill is subjective to abrupt changes without any explanation. Definitely customers should avoid business with Vonage.

Vonage response

Thanks for taking the time to rate us, Ramya. From the score you gave us, it seems like things aren't going so well. We're sorry to hear that and we'd love to put things right. Please send us a private message with your account info and we'll do our best to sort out any problems.

We hope to hear from you soon.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
      Original review: Oct. 26, 2020

JUST TERRIBLE experience from every aspect of doing business with them. Their international calling system is not working. I can call only for 1 minute. I CALLED many times to VONAGE. ALSO many online chats. WITH THEM. SPEND Hours of my time. Nothing happened. And finally, I gave up... Switch to regular basic line, cancel my international plan... FOR THIS they are charging me... HARD TO BELIEVE. Also, I want full refund for months I couldn’t talk. TERRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE.

Vonage response

We're really sorry to hear about your difficulties with Vonage, Linda. We'd like the chance to work with you to make things right. Please send us a private message so we can work on the problem as soon as we can.

We hope to hear from you soon,

Resolution response: Oct. 13, 2020

I'm not increasing my star rating. Your customer service department is atrocious and will drive you out of business. The issue is only resolved b/c I cancelled the transfer and only when I tweeted about it did that get taken care of. Vonage clearly does not have the customer in mind. Good luck with that business model.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2020

Trying to set up Vonage. Told form was incomplete, but when I go to finish it, it tells me it's already been processed! CS Rep on chat kept repeating that I needed to finish the form.?? I can't b/c it won't let me! So, he called me and I could barely understand him. He told me he'd need to cancel the process so I could refill out the form over the phone.??? I'm not doing that with someone I cannot understand. I asked to speak to his supervisor and three times he told me I could not.??? Then he told me he'd have his mgr call me "in 30 minutes." Then he told me not to end the chat b/c he needed it. So, I saved the chat and did not end it. Two minutes later, I see an error message from Vonage saying "Oops. Try again!" HE HAD ENDED THE CHAT!

Then, I call back and talk to another CS Rep. She tells me we have to be verified thru a 3rd party company to finish account setup. She transfers me. The connection is awful and sounds like I'm talking to someone across the globe in 1950. That person tells me the account has already been verified! WTH, Vonage?!?! Why won't this go through? I am very much regretting this decision to switch, and am currently still waiting on the supervisor who was supposed to call me back in 30 minutes. It's been 55 minutes!

Dear Maggie,

--Vonage

Original review: Oct. 9, 2020

I’ve had Vonage for quite a while. I recall having bad customer service experiences at the beginning, but have needed no customer support for years. Unfortunately, my original Vonage device died, became outdated with no warning. That’s when the nightmare began. Customer service has gotten worse. Where to begin. Two lines ( I have two) now takes two devices. I was sent one. Found out from tech support I need two. New one didn’t work anyhow. Second one came the following week, didn’t work, sending replacement.

By this point I have talked to at least four techs, all claiming a different problem, none resolving anything. For some reason not a single tech had any evidence of me going though troubleshooting with the previous tech. Second to last tech said he would call back in ten minutes after he checked a few things, never did. The final tech said she would escalate and I may (yes maybe) hear back in five days. We are already a couple weeks in and no one bothered to escalate?! This is a phone line! Having worked calmly to this point, needless to say at I was done. Moral of the story: you can probably find worse customer support but I can’t imagine what that would look like. Stay away!

Dear Kevin,

--Vonage

Original review: Oct. 5, 2020

I signed up for Vonage business account in May and have been paying for the service since even though haven’t used it once as I lost my contracts due to Covid. I was on the phone for 2 days last week to speak with a human to cancel my Vonage account due to financial troubles. After hours of staying on the line and battling with virtual assistant for 2 days, I was told by an account specialist that I had to pay $600+ for cancellation fee! I’m overseas now but cannot access to my account because the system is not recognizing my password now. I keep resetting my password, but the system doesn’t accept no matter what I do. I cannot get a hold of anyone via email and the chat support doesn’t work. I feel like I’m stuck in a paradox.

To make it short, I am paying for a Vonage service that I cannot use and can't get any technical support. I don’t want to pay $100s to call support line since I am not in US now. I should be able to get some help via email or chat but no one is responding to my emails and the chatbot is sending me to endless loops. I am suffering from a horrible customer service.

--Vonage

Original review: Sept. 29, 2020

Our experience hasn't been the same as most here, but I think a lot of what I've read are issues that stem from miscommunication. I really like that Vonage reaches out to those customers to help them resolve their issues right here...good customer service! We have had some issues transitioning from our legacy analog system, to Vonage VOIP, mostly because of differences caused by the two countries' telephone standards and policies. There were a few hiccups in account management, but nothing that wasn't able to be negotiated, and resolved.

But, I have to say, Vonage's business customer service reps, and technical staff, have rocked. They are courteous and friendly, efficient, and they call back and follow up when they say they will. When big problems cropped up, the account managers got engineers on conference calls with us to troubleshoot. When we have little problems, the CS reps are easily reachable, and are able to troubleshoot most every issue we've had. Don't get me wrong, VOIP may be a technology that's been around for a decade, but it still falls into the 'Wild West' category of technology. There are still plenty of features, and setups that vary from carrier to carrier. But, we've found that Vonage's service just can't be beat, for value and features, and customer service. And, when we find something that we think could be better, they readily accept your improvement request, and add it to their list :). I recommend them!

Vonage author review by Ellen Muraskin

An industry-leading provider of telecommunications services, Vonage offers a complete range of VoIP solutions for home, business and on the go.​

• Business packages: First known for their residential service, Vonage offers a robust suite of small business services, including contact center, video conferencing and CRM integration.

• Unified communications: Unified communications across Vonage's private, managed MPLS network ensures quality audio and no dropped calls.

• Discounts: By signing up for a one-year contract, users can enjoy annual contract discounts.

• MobileConnect: Vonage’s MobileConnect app links your business extension to your mobile device, letting you make mobile calls through your Vonage Business phone service.

• Free calls to landlines and mobile phones: Calling is free to landlines in more than 60 countries and to mobile phones in 10. Rates to other countries are competitive with other VoIP providers and are based on calling plan.

by Ellen Muraskin VoIP Contributing Editor

Ellen Muraskin has been writing about telecom and IT since 1993 when she joined the marketing department of Dialogic. In 1996 she joined the editorial staff of CMP’s Computer Telephony Magazine, rising to Executive Editor before joining Ziff Davis Media to launch the VoIP topic center of their eweek.com site. She served as senior copywriter for IT infrastructure company Raritan and has written and edited for several publications.

Vonage Company Information