Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.55/5

Make and receive calls using your home phone service anywhere you use a smartphone, know who’s calling your home number. Different from call forwarding, this new functionality allows shared use of a family’s home phone identity. Calls made to the home phone number will now ring on mobile phones at the same time so anyone in the household can immediately take important calls from doctors, children’s schools, home improvement professionals, friends and family. Gives you a second identity on your mobile phone and more control over when, how and where you communicate. HomePhone. Anywhere.

Start receiving calls today

Manage Your Business Phone System with Dash from VirtualPBX

Get started

Unsubscribe at any time.

Start receiving calls today

Manage Your Business Phone System with Dash from VirtualPBX

Get started

Vonage Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vonage?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vonage?

Original review: Aug. 31, 2020

If I could leave zero stars, I would! ABSOLUTE WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE!!! THEY ARE CROOKS! We had Vonage for our business telephone provider. First off, they were way overpriced, so we switched to another carrier for our business. We switched over from Vonage in May of 2019. Keep in mind - Vonage no longer had any of our phone numbers at this point of switching carriers. We found out in NOVEMBER 2019 we were STILL BEING CHARGED. We spoke to someone who said they would cancel the account and refund us the money. WE STILL GOT BILLED UNTIL JANUARY OF 2020!!!

We spoke to someone then who finally cancelled the account and we waited for our refund. August 2020 (this week) we still have not received a refund. We called to sort it out - were told we would be getting a refund again - JUST TO GET AN EMAIL BACK saying all charges are valid and we would NOT get a refund!!?? CROOKS!!!! How can they say the charges are valid when we attempted cancellation more than once AND they had NONE OF OUR PHONE NUMBERS! They were charging us when they were not even providing any service!!! STAY FAR AWAY FROM VONAGE.

Vonage response

We sincerely apologize for your ongoing issues. Please respond privately with your Vonage account or phone number and someone will reach out to assist.

--Vonage

Original review: Aug. 24, 2020

This is one of the most horrible experience of my life dealing with this company. First of all they dont let you cancel account online. You must call a 1866 number. That number is not in service. You call customer service. They don't cancel your account. On top of that they keep billing me and called me one day saying I owe $93 to them for last 5 months. This company is fraud and needs to be shut down.

Dear Sumit,

We sincerely apologize for your recent experience while cancelling your account. Please respond privately with your Vonage account or phone number and someone will reach out to assist.

--Vonage

Get buying tips about VoIP Internet Phone Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.
      Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
      Original review: Aug. 19, 2020

From day 1, my account has been riddled w/ errors. The salesperson who set up my account told me he would set up a second location that would not be billed so I could move lines over as my company grew. Lo and behold, I was charged for BOTH locations the first month. I called in to have it corrected, and the woman said their system doesn't even allow accounts to be set up the way the salesman did it. I explained to her why he did it that way, per his explanation, and she said she'd listen to the recording of my call w/ him to verify.

2 WEEKS later, she calls back to tell me she couldn't locate a recording of our call. How about that?!? The billing issues persisted for so long that I'm still not sure my account has ever been properly reconciled, even to this day. The phones were supposed to arrive several days before my business opened, but didn't arrive until a week AFTER so I had to run my business w/ NO PHONES for the first whole week!! Meanwhile, the phone system never worked the way it was supposed to. Calls forwarded to the wrong extension, sometimes they only rang on the app or not at all, calls wouldn't transfer... the list goes on. Then, every time we called tech support to fix it, we had to call back to have their "fix", fixed! Ultimately, the phones NEVER worked as intended and no one seemed to be able to do anything about it.

I also tried to add a call recording on-demand service to ONE line and it never worked properly, so I bit the bullet and UPGRADED, mid-month, to the recording service that records all lines at all times. When I called to remove the on-demand service they had added FOUR to my account and told me I could not get a refund for any of them. Yet another for I had to throw bc Vonage insisted on taking money for a service they never provided. After 8 months of billing issues, phone problems and HOURS spent on the phone w/ them each week trying to resolve the problem dejour, I finally decided to eat the termination fee and cancel.

When I call and explain why I'm canceling, the rep offers to put me in touch w/ a "senior tech" to get my issues resolved. Never mind that tech issues were only one of the many that lead to my decision to cancel, but I'd already been around and around w/ tech support at all levels to no avail. I was not interested in spending another second messing w/ it. The rep then tells me the early termination fee is $6,000!!!! I reminded him I was canceling bc Vonage had not held up their own end of the deal and that I'd already been paying hundreds each month for services I effectively never received, and he responds, "I don't know what to tell you. That's what your contract says." I have contacted my attorney. This company lies about their service, keeps money for services not rendered, then tries to hold you hostage when you call them on it! STAY AWAY FROM VONAGE!!!

Dear Kirby,

We sincerely apologize for your recent experience. Please respond privately with your Vonage account or phone number and someone will reach out to assist.

--Vonage

Original review: Aug. 2, 2020

I have been a Vonage customer for over 20 years and after my calls started dropping after 4 to 10 minutes, I contacted Vonage several times in over one month period and they keep on promising to fix the problem but no results. I spoke with a supervisor last week and she said it will be fixed in three days but the problem still exists.

Vonage response

We're sorry that you're having an issue. Please send us a Direct Message with your account info so we can help.

Resolution response: Aug. 19, 2020

This is a follow-up on my previous review of Vonage. The company contacted me and agreed that I had a point concerning their early termination fee. As they are not compatible with our new internet provider and could not provide service in our new location, they agreed to waive the termination. My thanks to Consumer Affairs for providing this format to air grievances and to Vonage for handling the situation in a professional manner.

Original review: July 24, 2020

This company has no regard for the hardships being battled by small business at this bizarre period of our history. The pandemic affected our circumstances and we are moving our business to our home. I requested the procedure for hooking up Vonage to our new internet/phone provider ViaSat. As I soon learned, Vonage is not compatible with ViaSat. I therefore requested Vonage cancel our service, and was told we would not be shown any leeway and would have to pay $800+ to cancel our contract. Vonage is enforcing a contract for a service they cannot provide, that does not seem right to me? Am I missing something?

--Vonage

Original review: July 15, 2020

I had Vonage for over 12 years. I had them because my wife was calling her family in Europe regularly. It costed around $500/year. I called to cancel the service and they put me on hold multiple times, the line got disconnected and they put a lot of pressure on me to continue with them. To top it all off, they refused to issue me a refund of $100 for my prepaid services. I tried to reason with them to no avail. These people are crooks, highway robbers, and telephone pirates. The customer representative was condescending, rude and keep treating me like an imbecile with constants I understand, I understand to show fake sympathy.

I reminded them of all the money I made it and how disgusting and greedy they were behaving but nothing changed her position. If this is how they treat loyal customers, I cannot image how they treat other people. Worse experience I ever had with a telephone company. The quality of the calls have been ok until I call them today to cancel. Stay away from this company and poor quality product.

Dear Pablo,

Original review: July 14, 2020

Since the beginning, since we started calling tech support to resolve any issue, their most common responses were:

- It's your wifi connection.
      - It's your internet speed.

- It's your computer.

In short, it was always something on our end. Context, we are a team of 25+ Vonage users and in 12 different countries. How is it that at least 10 people have a similar issue, in different countries, computers, internet speeds and yet still, we were the issue? Then came the good stuff... We got a VPN service, one of the best top rated VPN services... Guess what? Vonage will connect on Windows and never on Mac while on the VPN. Oh guess what?! Vonage update! And then it won't connect on a Windows either. Guess what?! Another update! Oh! Now it works again on Windows.

"The highest level of tech support" called me, to tell me there's nothing they can do, "it's a VPN issue", so I asked why on the Mac it NEVER connects but on Windows yes, while on the VPN? The VPN is blocking it. I am sick and tired of Vonage support always blaming everything on our systems plainly because they are too lazy to do some tech support!! They didn't even try to access my computer remotely or anything. At least look for facts when you're telling me it's our fault. We are now looking for other options for our VoIP service. Really fed up! 0 accountability as a company.

Original review: July 14, 2020

I was a happy Vonage customer since 2006 until a few weeks ago. Recently, when I would get a call, at exactly 10 minutes the line goes silent on both ends. The line does not disconnect, it just goes silent on both ends and neither party can hear anything. Line stays connected until someone hangs up. I called customer service and very hard to understand the people as they do not speak very clear English. The customer service reps are very basic and do not have advanced knowledge for one thing. Rep instructed me to unplug the modem 3 times. Then she said it was my hardwired phone, which I do not have, it is wireless. Then she told me to go to my phone and set it to not disconnect after 10 minutes. Huh??? Then she told me to borrow someone else's phone. I asked to speak to a manager. She told me a manager would call me back. The manager never called me.

I called the next day, same thing. Basic rep, very hard to understand, no technical skills. They had me make a change on my router, which I knew would not work. She said the setting would allow VOIP calls to go out and be received. I explained I do not have an issue making or receiving calls, the line just goes silent after 10 minutes. She took my cell number in case we got disconnected, which we did at exactly 10 minutes when the line went silent and I had to disconnect. She never called back. I called them the next day and same issue. Basic rep, hard to understand. Had me unplug and plug the device in 3 times, I must have restarted the modem 15 times over the 3 days of dealing with their inexperienced customer service reps. She tried the same basic stuff the previous reps tried, and none worked - go figure.

By the way, I have worked in technology for 30 years and was getting very frustrated with all the basic troubleshooting over and over, my feeling was there was something wrong in their network somewhere. I kept asking to speak to a manager and no manager ever contacted me. The 3rd rep also took down my cell phone number, and as expected, at 10 minutes the line went silent. She never called me back. I called Spectrum the next day and transferred my service, which by the way, works perfectly now and Spectrum has outstanding customer service every time I call.

When I called Vonage yesterday to cancel my service, they asked me if they could have another shot and transfer me to the advanced support team. Too bad this did not occur the first time when I asked. The customer support for Vonage has continually been going down hill with inexperienced basic troubleshooting skills on the front line, with no ambition whatsoever to fix your problem or escalate when required. They are extremely hard to understand when they talk and the longer you are on the line the more frustrating it gets.

The only reason I am giving them 1 star is because I cannot give them a half star for their customer service. And finally, I kept running tests on my line for the 3 weeks it took to port my number to Spectrum. Every call went silent after 10 minutes. 2 days before the number was ported, Vonage magically started working. Something on their end. Too bad they did not treat me as a valued customer, but I am now a very pleased and very happy Spectrum customer.

Dear Jeff,

--Vonage

Original review: July 7, 2020

I have had Vonage residential for several years, and used to get great features and support. They have gone downhill considerable. Here is one example: One of the nice features offered is SimulRing where I could set my primary number to simultaneously ring on my mobile. Worked great. However, if my cell phone happens to be offline, turned off, or battery drained. The primary line will not work. When I called support about this, it took 3 calls (kept getting disconnected from an apparent India call center). I was told this was by design. If any of the numbers in SimulRing are offline or not working, the entire block of numbers including the primary number will not work. This renders the feature useless. Nobody there even seems to care.

Dear Dan,

we're sorry to hear about experience, Simulring is designed to ring both your home Vonage number and up to five other numbers at the same time, however the first one of those phones to pick up the call (be it by answering it or going to voicemail) will "answer" the call. An alternative would be to set up call forwarding to forward to your cell after a certain amount of rings or use our Vonage Extensions app.

- Vonage

Original review: June 27, 2020

I have had a relationship with Vonage sine 2005. In the beginning they were great. Over the last several years their customer service has declined significantly. I requested to port a number to Vonage. AFter 3 weeks of trying and having to contact them several times via email and phone to provide my porting account number and PIN, they declined the port stating there were technical issues. They charged me $11.95 for to port the number and my monthly billed renewed on the 22nd of the month. I asked for a refund and they stated they do not provide refunds. (even though they could not provide the service). I requested to cancel my service and spent another 48 minutes on the phone while they tried to save me as a customer. I will never use this company again.

Dear Michael,

Vonage author review by Ellen Muraskin

An industry-leading provider of telecommunications services, Vonage offers a complete range of VoIP solutions for home, business and on the go.​

• Business packages: First known for their residential service, Vonage offers a robust suite of small business services, including contact center, video conferencing and CRM integration.

• Unified communications: Unified communications across Vonage's private, managed MPLS network ensures quality audio and no dropped calls.

• Discounts: By signing up for a one-year contract, users can enjoy annual contract discounts.

• MobileConnect: Vonage’s MobileConnect app links your business extension to your mobile device, letting you make mobile calls through your Vonage Business phone service.

• Free calls to landlines and mobile phones: Calling is free to landlines in more than 60 countries and to mobile phones in 10. Rates to other countries are competitive with other VoIP providers and are based on calling plan.

by Ellen Muraskin VoIP Contributing Editor

Ellen Muraskin has been writing about telecom and IT since 1993 when she joined the marketing department of Dialogic. In 1996 she joined the editorial staff of CMP’s Computer Telephony Magazine, rising to Executive Editor before joining Ziff Davis Media to launch the VoIP topic center of their eweek.com site. She served as senior copywriter for IT infrastructure company Raritan and has written and edited for several publications.

Vonage Company Information