Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.60/5

Make and receive calls using your home phone service anywhere you use a smartphone, know who’s calling your home number. Different from call forwarding, this new functionality allows shared use of a family’s home phone identity. Calls made to the home phone number will now ring on mobile phones at the same time so anyone in the household can immediately take important calls from doctors, children’s schools, home improvement professionals, friends and family. Gives you a second identity on your mobile phone and more control over when, how and where you communicate. HomePhone. Anywhere.

Start receiving calls today

Manage Your Business Phone System with Dash from VirtualPBX

Get started

Start receiving calls today

Manage Your Business Phone System with Dash from VirtualPBX

Get started

Vonage Reviews

Resolution response: June 23, 2020

The company contacted me promptly and made the issue right. I am most grateful that they did. Thank you for all your help.

Original review: June 22, 2020

Well, I never thought after several years being with Vonage from the beginning that I would be here with a complaint but since I was charged three times in one month the truth needs to be told. I called in asking for a supervisor. When one finally called me back he gave me the excuse that my promotion had cancelled but I was never on a promotion for my main number. We are suppose to be on a 6 month promotion for a second line. Now the sup is trying to tell me that my three payment are increased because of my promotion is expired. Completely false. I want to leave this company. My daughter wants to stay. Buyer beware of false savings because they make up for it adding other cost.

Dear Dorothy,

We apologize for any issues you may be encountering with your account. Please respond privately with your Vonage account or phone number, and someone will reach out to assist.

--Vonage

Original review: June 20, 2020

I have been dealing with this company since 2007 and they have gotten very bad. My Vonage device died and I had no phone service. They have been a problem with billing and service over the past several years. I called them on May 23rd of May 24th. My income from the Corona Virus fell off a cliff and because of that I missed paying my bill for the month April 22 - May 21 and it became 2 months on May 22 because they bill for service one month in advance. I knew about their policy that once it was 31 days past due their computer showed the whole amount 31 days past due and wished to avoid disconnection 10 days later for the May 22 through June 21 bill. I had it happen earlier in the year where I got disconnected and billed a disconnection fee when I was assured that that would not happen. I was assured by the supervisor that it would not happen this time and paid them that same day.

My bank showed the check for the April Bill, i.e., April 22 - May 21 cleared on May 27th. Sometime around then we had a storm and my vonage device of better than six years failed so I had no service. I called and was told that one would be shipped out. When I hadn't received one by the 15th of the month I called them to complain. I was told one was not shipped out because I was two months behind in my bill, which I was one month behind for about 25 days. I was livid because for 13 years I get receipts at my email address and did so for May so there was no excuse not to so advise me.

I demanded a credit for the 25 days of service I was billed for on the current bill and they refused to refund me anything. Given the screw up I had with this issue I went online to pay my May 22 through June 21 bill before I had to pay two months as I faced on May 24th where I paid the the bill for service ending on May 21 on May 23 or 24 cleared my bank on May 27th. I learned that now I am two months behind and tomorrow I will be three months behind for a single month where I only had service for six days. This is the way Vonage treats its long term customers during the Covid 19 pandemic. No one should consider them for new service and go near them with a ten foot pole.

Dear Jerry,

We sincerely apologize for your recent experience. Please respond privately with your Vonage account or phone number, and someone will reach out to assist.

--Vonage

Get buying tips about VoIP Internet Phone Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
      Original review: June 12, 2020

I had actually had a decent experience with Vonage up until I tried contacting my account representative to remove a couple of features from my account. All of a sudden, I could not get Matt ** on the phone. When I tried calling the Vonage business line, they told me that only Matt could help me. More recently, I tried to pause my account given the current global pandemic. No response from Matt. I tried using the chat. They directed me back to Matt! I tried the chat again and they confirmed that they'd pause my account. My billing date come and guess who's account is not paused? That's right, they tried to charge my account and said they had no record of the account being paused even though they have the email and transcript of the chat. Keep in mind, the chat was over a week before the billing date.

Then, I start getting calls about needing to make my payment so I explain what is going on and they tell me to CALL MATT! I call customer service again and now they tell me there is some other guy that is also my account manager. This guy is answering my emails, but is just as useless. He tells me that the account manager (HIM) cannot fix this problem either. That he has to ask the accounting department. He says the accounting department will have an answer for me by Monday, nothing! Then he says Thursday, still nothing! At this point, I get an email about my account being canceled and that I have to pay $14000! Then he says Monday. I am not going to wait any longer. I will not pay that ridiculous balance just because of the incompetence of this company. I tried to fix this situation for over a month. Don't bother with this company! They are terrible.

Dear Luis,

--Vonage

Original review: June 4, 2020

I have been using Vonage for 5 years and was pleased with it and introduced family and friends to it too. Since January this year this connection is terrible and I am not able to make international calls, which is one of the main reason I have and I am on the international package too. Unable to connect 9/10 times and when it does the line is very poor, delayed voice, echo and keeps disconnecting.

Vonage response

We sincerely apologize for your ongoing issues. Please respond privately with your Vonage account or phone number, and someone will reach out to assist.

--Vonage

Original review: May 17, 2020

So I have been a customer for well over 10 years. I must say that in the past the service worked great and I recommended to several people over that time. But today I am seriously considering terminating the residential service and move my business to another company. Some time in mid March I noticed I was not receiving any calls though I can still make calls. I have contacted vonage and they tell me every time a technician will get back with me within 48 to 72 hours either by phone or email. It has never happened. It is very evident the customer service is not in the United States. I don't know what has happened to this company but I based on the reviews in this forum, I don't think it is going to last very long. It is clear the technical team is very incompetent. They ask for the same information every single time and I am sure they are not trained properly. Please if you need VOIP residential service....look somewhere else. Not Vonage. I am so sorry.

Dear Douglas,

We sincerely apologize for your recent experience. Please respond privately with your Vonage account or phone number), and someone will reach out to assist.

--Vonage

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vonage?

Original review: May 1, 2020

So it has been now 17 days I am not able to call Belgium! I have called Vonage 7 times already- I have received an incident number April 13. We are May 1st. Each time I call I talked to someone that told me that they would call back in the next 72 hours (3 or 4 times). It never happened! Once I chatted. She said someone will call me in the next 30 minutes- never happened! Yesterday I called again, the tech told me he'll call me this morning. It does not happened! I have lost an immense time on the phone and still nothing is happening. Do not trust them when they say a tech will call back cause they don't!!!! I want my problem fixed!

Dear Anne Hallet,

--Vonage

Original review: April 15, 2020

I have been a customer of Vonage for nearly 10 years. In May of 2019, I decided to transfer my residential Vonage account to a business Vonage account. The business department was extremely easy to deal with and I was told everything had been completed. Since May of 2019 I have been charged for both a residential and business account with Vonage. When I called today requesting a refund for the residential account I was told I had a fax number associated with it that had not been cancelled when I switched to Vonage business and therefore they would not refund me. This company has charged me over $600 for an account that was supposed to be cancelled per their representative and has not been used.

Dear Mr. Johnson,

We sincerely apologize for your recent experience. Please respond privately with your Vonage Residential account or phone number, and someone will reach out to assist.

--Vonage

Original review: April 9, 2020

@Vonage is an absolute rip-off. I found extremely cheaper service and knew a termination fee was applicable... Mind you the upcharge from what I was quoted. Consequently, I was told there would a termination fee of $880 applied to my credit card on file. This is reprehensible. What company is going to bill you for a year's worth of un-rendered service with communication fees on top of that? I promise you... You will see FCC, State of North Carolina, and social media complaints about this @Vonage. Absooooooooolutely absurd.

Vonage response

We sincerely apologize for your recent experience. We believe a member of our Executive Response Team has already contacted you regarding this matter.

--Vonage

Original review: April 7, 2020

I've been with Vonage for almost 10 years now and it is by far the worst phone service I have ever paid for, but unfortunately it is the only service that allows me to contact my elderly mother who lives overseas and do not have access. My biggest complaint is that I have to contact their customer service several times a month (sometimes weekly) because of some technical issue where I am unable to make phone calls. Not only is it aggravating, it's an immense waste of my time because once they declare it "resolved" it takes about one week for the same issue to resurface. At this point I feel that their technical support is utterly useless and is basically just a pat on the back so you'll keep paying your bill. I will never recommend this service to anyone, EVER! In fact, I will actively recommend people to steer clear of this phone company.

Dear Jeanette ,

We sincerely apologize for your ongoing issues. Please respond privately with your Vonage account or phone number), and someone will reach out to assist.

--Vonage

Original review: April 2, 2020

Updated on 04/07/2020: After posting my first review, I was contacted by Vonage directly here. They asked for my number and claimed that they would escalate my issue and fix my service. That was on April 2nd (original problem called into their poor customer service department on March 9th!) and the problem again is not resolved. Still no phone number to call anyone other than a customer service representative who can't assist in any meaningful way.

Original Review on 04/02/2020: I purchased a Vonage 3000 to Globe Philippines plan a year ago. No problems until March 9th when the SimulRing feature wouldn't work as it was working for the prior year. It was not forwarding any calls to the Philippines. With a customer service agent (a call that lasted an hour), we tried several different numbers in the Philippines. None worked. He said that the phone may not be able to dial Philippines numbers, but the name of the plan has Philippines in the title! Brilliant guy!

Was given a ticket number and informed that it would be 72 hours for a resolution. Of course, not one notification of any resolution and problem was not fixed. Return call to Customer Service, which is not US based and there is no way to contact any escalation department in the US. The CS rep, in broken English, told me it would be fixed within two days. Still not fixed. Return call... Again. "They have the ticket, it's being worked." It is now April 2nd and I have made a series of aggravating calls to Customer Service. Always the same line of crap... They are working on it. Sure they are! It's a good service until you have to call customer service one time. Then you might be better off canceling the service.

Absolutely the worst customer service experience ever! You ask to escalate and they tell you that there is no way to contact the escalation team! It is a phone company and they claim that the escalation team doesn't have a phone number.... Lol.... What an absolute joke! I am stuck at the mercy of the people in Botswana (or whatever country it is) who are not qualified to walk my dog much less handle a service issue.

This company should be ashamed of their customer service. I will continue to post daily results as I call customer service every day from this point until I get a resolution. I may even record some of the insane calls and post them to show how ridiculous this experience has been. I have seen some responses from Vonage and I am happy to remove this message once the issue is rectified, but until then, I will review on here and several other sites until it's fixed. I am stuck inside my home during the quarantine and have nothing else to do.... So.... Hopefully I hear from someone at Vonage to solve this problem once and for all.

Dear Lee,

Vonage author review by Ellen Muraskin

An industry-leading provider of telecommunications services, Vonage offers a complete range of VoIP solutions for home, business and on the go.​

• Business packages: First known for their residential service, Vonage offers a robust suite of small business services, including contact center, video conferencing and CRM integration.

• Unified communications: Unified communications across Vonage's private, managed MPLS network ensures quality audio and no dropped calls.

• Discounts: By signing up for a one-year contract, users can enjoy annual contract discounts.

• MobileConnect: Vonage’s MobileConnect app links your business extension to your mobile device, letting you make mobile calls through your Vonage Business phone service.

• Free calls to landlines and mobile phones: Calling is free to landlines in more than 60 countries and to mobile phones in 10. Rates to other countries are competitive with other VoIP providers and are based on calling plan.

by Ellen Muraskin VoIP Contributing Editor

Ellen Muraskin has been writing about telecom and IT since 1993 when she joined the marketing department of Dialogic. In 1996 she joined the editorial staff of CMP’s Computer Telephony Magazine, rising to Executive Editor before joining Ziff Davis Media to launch the VoIP topic center of their eweek.com site. She served as senior copywriter for IT infrastructure company Raritan and has written and edited for several publications.

Vonage Company Information