ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.84/5

Make and receive calls using your home phone service anywhere you use a smartphone, know who’s calling your home number. Different from call forwarding, this new functionality allows shared use of a family’s home phone identity. Calls made to the home phone number will now ring on mobile phones at the same time so anyone in the household can immediately take important calls from doctors, children’s schools, home improvement professionals, friends and family. Gives you a second identity on your mobile phone and more control over when, how and where you communicate. HomePhone. Anywhere.

Vonage Video
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

Vonage Reviews

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: Oct. 11, 2019

Great quality and service. I switched to Comcast from Vonage because of their BUNDLE pitch. Two months of problems with the quality of Comcast service was all I could take. 8 + hours with Comcast tech support and they could not figure out how to stop call forwarding which I never turned on. I just cancelled my Comcast home phone service and I am back with Vonage.

Vonage response

Thank you Robert! We’re delighted you took the time to provide your positive experience with Vonage! Glad to hear that you’re happy with our service!

Get expert buying tips about VoIP Internet Phone Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 13, 2019

Vonage allows only fifty (50) numbers on a block list. With ever increasing incidences of robo-calls, political calls soliciting money, charitable organizations soliciting contributions and the like the measly fifty numbers I am allowed to block is inadequate in today's frenetic environment. Repeated telephone calls begging for money are more than annoying and wouldn't you know!!! such unscrupulous solicitors often target family "meal times" 4:30 - 6:30 PM.

I suggest you modify Vonage Residential service to allow up to five hundred numbers on each customer's block list. Yes! 500. BTW I would be willing to pay a little more per month for an expanded block list as an Add On i.e $5 per hundred additional block number slots. Smart phones now have the ability to identify a "scam" call. Please investigate whether or not Vonage could offer a Block Scams option or simply block scam calls by default. By the way I really love my Vonage VOIP phone service. Please keep up the good work guys. Thank You. Vernon **.

Original review: April 11, 2019

Continue to have trouble, on and off, with deterioration of quality of voice on both ends of call during contacts with persons in Panama. Reported to customer service on a number of occasions, it would clear up, then problem would repeatedly reoccur.

Original review: March 22, 2019

I have been a Vonage customer since the company got started. The service has been and is outstanding. We make a lot of international calls and calls all over the USA. The Quality is always first rate and the service has been consistent and dependable. I have recommended Vonage to my neighbors, my family, and friends.

Vonage response

Hi Jerry,

We’re delighted you took the time to provide your positive experience with Vonage! It is our aim to provide the best products and services for each customer!

Regards,

Jeff N
    Vonage Executive Response Team
    Vonage Corporate Headquarters Holmdel NJ, USA

Available Mon thru Fri 9:30am to 6:00pm ET

Original review: March 22, 2019

I get numerous telemarketer calls every day. I am on the do not call list and also signed up for no more robo, but I still get these calls. I wish Vonage had the ability to screen and eliminate telemarketer and robo calls.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vonage?

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Jan. 15, 2020

I have Never been treated so rude in all my 60+ years. I talk to one customer service and two managers. They were all arrogant. This website https://vonage-promotions.com/ I used. I was told it was an old site. I was told the phone number was old but that was the number i used to contact Vonage. The second manager told me it was not a hack site and it was not real. This was contrary to what the first two representative I talk to whom stated it was Vonage old website. I told The second manger I did not I was not happy with explanation. He said WONDERFUL!!!! Seriously! I told him I would not treat him the way he treated me. At that point I hung up. I will make it my mission to spread this story.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Jan. 14, 2020

This has to be one of the worst companies for tech support. I spent 2 hours with a tier 1 tech to try to resolve a problem. He could not and said I would have to work with a tier 2 tech. He could not transfer me even though it was 4 PM eastern time. He said the tier 2 techs only work at night and made an appointment. At the scheduled time, I did not receive any calls. I called back and got another tier 1 tech. She went through the same process as the previous day even though all of the same things were tried and documented in the case notes. After another 2 hour, I was transferred to a tier 2 tech who resolved the issue in 5 minutes. DON'T WASTE YOUR VALUABLE TIME WITH THIS COMPANY!

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Jan. 10, 2020

I have seen poor operations and I have seen poor service, but I have never ever seen a horrendous operation until Vonage. They made promises they never intended to keep. It took over 6 weeks to transition our phones and get us operational and then we found ourselves with NO PHONE for over a day. We couldn't get incoming calls. Patients were driving to the clinic to see if we were open. Every time we reached out to Vonage, they blamed us for their incompetence instead of taking the opportunity to resolve everything properly once and for all and keep following up until they knew we are all on the same page. Ironically, they turned off customer's ability to rate them on Facebook due to the massive complaints. The question is, why is Vonage still in business?

Original review: Jan. 7, 2020

Vonage stopped working. We paid for a month or so before we called to have it fixed. They fixed our service, but it stopped working not long after that. We went about two years, during which time, we did not use their service at all because it wasn't working. During that time, our bill was automatically debited each month. This meant that we spent hundreds of dollars for a service that we didn't use. I'm fine with that because it was our fault. It was difficult to set the service back up, but we could have cancelled and we didn't.

My problem is over the last couple of months in which we didn't use their service. I had to cancel the debit card because someone had used it fraudulently. When Vonage tried to charge the account, the card didn't authorize. I assumed that they would cancel the service at that time. They continued to charge me - even after my service had been cut off due to non-payment. They didn't contact me to let me know that they were still charging my account. I had assumed that my service would simply be cut off similar to the way that prepaid wireless stops working when people don't pay. This wasn't the case. When someone finally called, I owed nearly $70. I told them that I wasn't going to pay $70 because I wasn't using the phone, and they should have cut off the phone after I didn't pay. They tried to tell me that I couldn't even cancel the service without paying the final bill. After several minutes of call time and time spent on hold, they finally cancelled the account.

They continued to call every single day. I finally spoke with another person and told him that I had paid hundreds of dollars for a service that I hadn't used and that I wasn't going to pay the balance because they didn't cut off my account when my payment didn't authorize. He seemed to understand and suggested that it would be fixed. Today, however, I was called by a bill collector over the $70 Vonage bill. After I spent hundreds of dollars on their terrible service, they had the nerve to turn over a measly $70 to a bill collector. Vonage has terrible service, terrible customer service, and ridiculous terms and conditions that allow them to cheat customers who are unable to use their service. If you are thinking about signing up - do yourself a favor and don't do it. a

Original review: Dec. 23, 2019

This company is the worst company I have ever done business with. They charged me 2 months without using the line, line was on hold by company. Told to cancel the account, they denied to do that, It constantly stops working without any warning. As this is for a business I go multiple days without receiving incoming calls or voicemails likely losing a significant amount of money. After compelling them to stop service forever, one of the manager come up with low rate option for one year without contract. They offer me low rate for one year so agreed. Asked them to send email confirmation so they send 5 different email with five plan options to confuse. Again contacted customer service and promise they are not going to take any extra money which they promised.

When checked online account summary noticed they put very different plan With big amount of monthly fee. I can only describe this as fraudulent activity. Service put on hold even After paid back all bills. Always talking to Indian customer service person and they are rude and don’t even know the customer info even after provide all info. They are very fraud minded people. Never want To cancel the account and always working against the law. This time I will deal with them in the court... DO NOT WORK WITH VONAGE!!!!

Vonage expert review by Ellen Muraskin

An industry-leading provider of telecommunications services, Vonage offers a complete range of VoIP solutions for home, business and on the go.​

• Business packages: First known for their residential service, Vonage offers a robust suite of small business services, including contact center, video conferencing and CRM integration.

• Unified communications: Unified communications across Vonage's private, managed MPLS network ensures quality audio and no dropped calls.

• Discounts: By signing up for a one-year contract, users can enjoy annual contract discounts.

• MobileConnect: Vonage’s MobileConnect app links your business extension to your mobile device, letting you make mobile calls through your Vonage Business phone service.

• Free calls to landlines and mobile phones: Calling is free to landlines in more than 60 countries and to mobile phones in 10. Rates to other countries are competitive with other VoIP providers and are based on calling plan.

• Best for: Residential users, salespeople and small businesses.

by Ellen Muraskin VoIP Contributing Editor

Ellen Muraskin has been writing about telecom and IT since 1993 when she joined the marketing department of Dialogic. In 1996 she joined the editorial staff of CMP’s Computer Telephony Magazine, rising to Executive Editor before joining Ziff Davis Media to launch the VoIP topic center of their eweek.com site. She served as senior copywriter for IT infrastructure company Raritan and has written and edited for several publications.

Vonage Company Information