2.32/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Make and receive calls using your home phone service anywhere you use a smartphone, know who’s calling your home number. Different from call forwarding, this new functionality allows shared use of a family’s home phone identity. Calls made to the home phone number will now ring on mobile phones at the same time so anyone in the household can immediately take important calls from doctors, children’s schools, home improvement professionals, friends and family. Gives you a second identity on your mobile phone and more control over when, how and where you communicate. HomePhone. Anywhere.

Vonage Video
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

2266 Vonage Consumer Reviews

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: April 13, 2019

Vonage allows only fifty (50) numbers on a block list. With ever increasing incidences of robo-calls, political calls soliciting money, charitable organizations soliciting contributions and the like the measly fifty numbers I am allowed to block is inadequate in today's frenetic environment. Repeated telephone calls begging for money are more than annoying and wouldn't you know!!! such unscrupulous solicitors often target family "meal times" 4:30 - 6:30 PM.

I suggest you modify Vonage Residential service to allow up to five hundred numbers on each customer's block list. Yes! 500. BTW I would be willing to pay a little more per month for an expanded block list as an Add On i.e $5 per hundred additional block number slots. Smart phones now have the ability to identify a "scam" call. Please investigate whether or not Vonage could offer a Block Scams option or simply block scam calls by default. By the way I really love my Vonage VOIP phone service. Please keep up the good work guys. Thank You. Vernon **.

Get expert buying tips about VoIP Internet Phone Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 11, 2019

Continue to have trouble, on and off, with deterioration of quality of voice on both ends of call during contacts with persons in Panama. Reported to customer service on a number of occasions, it would clear up, then problem would repeatedly reoccur.

Original review: March 22, 2019

I have been a Vonage customer since the company got started. The service has been and is outstanding. We make a lot of international calls and calls all over the USA. The Quality is always first rate and the service has been consistent and dependable. I have recommended Vonage to my neighbors, my family, and friends.

Hi Jerry,

We’re delighted you took the time to provide your positive experience with Vonage! It is our aim to provide the best products and services for each customer!

Regards,

Jeff N
Vonage Executive Response Team
Vonage Corporate Headquarters Holmdel NJ, USA

Available Mon thru Fri 9:30am to 6:00pm ET

Original review: March 22, 2019

I get numerous telemarketer calls every day. I am on the do not call list and also signed up for no more robo, but I still get these calls. I wish Vonage had the ability to screen and eliminate telemarketer and robo calls.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

Everything it is ok. And I have a very quality of service and communication. Particularly, when I am able to contact foreign and local friends and family members, and with them I'm speaking daily or every week. I'm also feel anxious and worried when there is any world incident and Vonage let me call immediately any place in the world to make provide me relief.

Vonage response

We really appreciate you taking the time to review Vonage so favorably. We're so glad to hear that you're able to take advantage of the service whenever, and however you need it.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vonage?

Original review: June 21, 2019

From the start we had trouble reaching Vonage for support. Over the two years we had the service the line often had static or the party reached could not hear us. Cancellation was a nightmare. A special number needed to be called and when reached they did not make it easy. I was moving the line back to CenturyLink and Vonage would not make the phone number available so CenturyLink could report it. They lied to me about the ramifications of cancelling the service, basically telling me that the world would end for me should I proceed with the cancellation.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: May 30, 2019

Avoid at all cost! I have been a Vonage residential customer for more than 10 years and have a need to switch to a Business VoIP. Vonage residential uses a device that you connect an analog phone to and which does not have the call quality that using a "true" VoIP phone will provide. I decided to try out Vonage Business which on paper appears to provide a good service but is on the pricier end of the spectrum compared to most or their competitors.

I signed up for the "2-week" trial to test the service's iPhone, iPad and Desktop apps. Unfortunately, I did not have much time to test the Vonage Business Apps. About 4 hours of signing up my account was closed. I called customer service as well as the sales rep that I initially spoke to. After more than 40 minutes trying to reach someone in billing and customer service, I was told my account was closed due to fraudulent activity and that they had no other information but provided me a number to the Vonage Fraud department. My sales rep thought that it could have been due to the fact that I logged into 3 devices with the Vonage Mobile business plan when you are only allowed to use 2 devices. He was not sure but said that Vonage Business Mobile will allow you to access 2 devices while the other plans will allow 3 devices with one of them being a VoIP phone.

You cannot speak to a live person when you call the Vonage Fraud department and instead must leave a voice message for someone to call you back. I received a call back about a week later which went to my VM. I called the Vonage Fraud department again and left them another VM. The Vonage Fraud department called back about 4 days later and left another VM.

After 3 weeks of phone tag I finally spoke with Vince at the Vonage Fraud department. He has no personality. Vince from the Vonage Fraud department told me that my account was closed due to fraudulent accounts that have been set-up with the IP address that was used when I signed up for my free trial. I told Vince that I have my internet through an Internet Service Provider and that I did not think I had a static IP address. Vince said that everyone has a static IP address and that if I wanted to use Vonage Business I would have to call my provider and ask for my IP address to be changed. Vince from Vonage Fraud also lacks people skills.

I called my Internet Service Provider, spoke to their IT department and was told that only a few companies will request a static IP address and that 99% of customers of an Internet Service Provider use a dynamic IP address that changes every 24-48 hours. My ISP told me that I have very little to no control of the IP address that is being used in my house unless I wanted to pay for a static IP address. They told me that if I want to change my IP address to unplug my router and plug it back in. Simple as that.

The long and short of it: Vonage Business is more expensive than most of their competition, but it appeared that they have a great iPhone and iPad app. Customer services appears to be an issue. 40 minutes to wait on the phone to speak with someone is way too long especially for a phone provider. You should be concerned that Vonage could close your account like they did to me due to fraudulent activity which is related to your IP address but that is not related to anything you may have done. This should be a big red flag to consider before porting your number to these guys. Imagine going through the process of having your number ported only to have your account closed out 2 weeks later. This is not a good business practice Vonage.

Obviously the Vonage Fraud team was not tech savvy but someone from the Vonage IT department should clue these clowns into the fact that most people use a dynamic IP address and not a static IP address. Vonage only allows you to access a limited number of devices with their business accounts. This may be fine for most, but for anyone that is mobile this could be an issue. Vonage Business has some strong competition in the marketplace, so you have better options (in my opinion). RingCentral and 8x8 Virtual are top notch providers with great mobile technology. Jive Communications, Dialpad and Nextiva are great as well.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: May 28, 2019

I was with Vonage for 6 years, not happy with customer service and reception. I tried calling local numbers. It’s always busy or try again. When using my mobile the call goes through fast. Now, I no longer care for them. Tried to cancel three time. They place you on hold for one hour. You get tired waiting. I am 70 years old. I keep calling every day and hold for one hours no luck. Those people should be investigated by the FCC and attorney general to close them down..

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: May 23, 2019

I have been on hold for Vonage to cancel for more than 1 hour. I have been a customer for many years without issue. However, I no longer need the service and they will NOT answer the phone!! When I called to 'change' service, the call was answered after 20 minutes. However, I have called to cancel 2 times and have been on hold for 30+ minutes and no one is answering. Unfortunately, online, it says you have to call to cancel. This is simply ridiculous!! I really can't believe the amount of time I have wasted on the phone just for a simple cancellation.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: May 22, 2019

This one is easy: We were scammed by a "smooth talking" customer service rep. named "g. s.". This cat scammed us by telling us we would be paying $9.99 a month for 6 months. Untrue! 1st bill is $21.86, & we found out, it will remain THAT, thereafter. Supervisor we asked to speak to was apologetic, but nevertheless. Just be careful. Now we are trying to "get out of it" by finding Honesty & another provider.

Original review: May 17, 2019

****PLEASE READ IF YOU ARE A SENIOR CITIZEN**** I’m senior citizen. Seen a phone plan for 40.00 a month. Sound good. Had to have my phone number transfer from my other carrier. That was a story...nightmare. What started the end of March to mid-May and service was call forward to my cell. The phone they sent didn’t work for me. Ask them about a portable, told I have a AT&T portable. He suggest a conversion box, which I plug my phone line into the box. OMG. Wish I was told the whole story. I had to be a I.T. tech, open pages on my computer. I’m a Senior Citizen (71). Told them I can’t do this. Can they sent someone to help me. "I’ll get back to you." NEVER HEAR FROM THEM.

Was charge April 4, $60.45. Went back to my old phone service, that WAS ANOTHER STORY. Took 2 week to get my phone number back that when May 4 payment was taken out of $60.63, I call them CANCEL. Was told by a mgr who wouldn’t give name that there "cancellation charge” since I signed for 2 yrs. I owe ($1285.24) which they will be taking out June 4, 2019. Closed my card. Being on SSI will be paying them what I can AFFORD. Vonage is by far the most inexperience and unprofessional company I have had the unfortunate luck to work with. Whilst selling their product, they claimed they had amazing customer service and thoroughly understood their product. Spoiler alert - they don't!!!

Original review: May 1, 2019

Let me start by saying that I have been a Vonage business customer for 3 years. While their service has been subpar it was something I could deal with. However, in the last 2 weeks it has become unacceptable. Our fax stopped working 2 weeks ago and despite dozens of calls to customer support our fax is STILL down! We are a healthcare provider and faxing is a major component of everyday business. I don't understand how a communication company can offer NO solution to fix our issue except to keep saying "we have escalated your issue to our third party fax provider". It has been TWO WEEKS and still NOTHING!! What a joke of a business! I am now in the process of switching to a different VoIP service but they are making it difficult, big surprise there! Run away from this service and don't look back. I promise you will be happy you did!

Original review: April 26, 2019

Vonage is by far the most inexperience and unprofessional company I have had the unfortunate luck to work with. Whilst selling their product, they claimed they had amazing customer service and thoroughly understood their product. Spoiler alert - they don't. It has now been over a month and they have not been able to fix a simple issue with Amazon Chime (they have recently rolled out this product but not a single of their 'tech experts' has any clue how it works).

I purchased phone lines for my business and because of their laughable customer service, lack of communication and understanding of their products, my day to day operations have halted and this has had a significantly negative impact as I simply can't set up conference calls. The worst part - I am still paying full price every month and still have to chase them up every day and re-explain my problem with whomever I speak and still after a month no results.

Original review: April 23, 2019

The website and agents all claim "it's easy to move your old number". Well... not quite true. If you're moving residences at the time you're setting up service, you better make sure to move your phone service with your old provider first. If the addresses don't match between the old and new service you're out of luck. Game over.

Original review: April 13, 2019

Vonage sales representatives promised a phone system solution that would work for our new location. The correct phones were not sent. We attempted on several occasions to rectify the situation. However, our phone calls and e-mails went unanswered for months. We finally made contact with one person at Vonage who promised to send us the correct phones for our system...if we agreed to extend our contract for two years! Avoid this company at all costs. Their sales reps make false promises and their customer service is the worst we have encountered anywhere. There are MUCH better options out there that we have found for VOIP with better service, lower costs, and much friendlier customer service.

Resolution response: April 12, 2019

GREAT response to a scam issue.

THANKS

Original review: April 12, 2019

Just got a call from Vonage and they said they were partners with Spectrum and wanted to update my service. After hanging up I tried to call the phone number they called from and it has a recording that says to leave A MESSAGE BUT THE MAILBOX IS FULL. The phone number on the caller ID is a nonworking number. **. WHAT A SCAM. Just spoke with Spectrum and they said they DO NOT PARTNER with them.

Original review: April 11, 2019

We had Vonage for over 5 years in our company though we didn’t like it 100%. It was going okay until we know their REAL relationship with customer. The monthly balance was in autopay from our business CC. The CC details changed due to some suspicious activities in our a/c. And in the meantime one of office locations was closed. So we cancelled our Vonage service. But in the meantime they couldn’t process the last due payment from the CC as the card details being changed. We got to know all about this after 4 months. In the meantime we didn’t receive a single letter or invoice from them.

All of a sudden a call from Collection!!! Really Vonage? And when we call the customer service the lady says, “You should have called us with your new CC.” Hello??? How about you make an effort to call us??? And also there was a late fee in our a/c $25!!! To waive the late fee, they wanted us to make the service active again. Really pissed by their service after 5yrs with them. I am glad that we don’t have that service anymore. Vonage that is it. I’ll never consider going back to you again.

Original review: March 29, 2019

I’ve had this service for just over 4 months. I have spent many hours on several occasions attempting to get the service working (you never know when it stops working). The techs ALWAYS escalate the problem (usually fix it in 2-3 business days). Of course that may not be why you have phone or fax service. I requested to drop the service and go with another (any other) but was informed I must pay a fee or continue until the 12 months was up. So much more ... attempted to leave a review on the Vonage site but it doesn’t allow (try & see). I’ll be paying extra now for phone & fax service as I’ll have a service and I’ll have to also pay for this ** Vonage service for the remainder of the annual contract. - Bruce, insurance agency owner.

Original review: March 29, 2019

I wish I had researched Vonage before I allowed them to start charging my account. The young lady was so persistent and helpful while trying to convince me to sign up with them that I finally gave in. The free phones they promised have not arrived. The agreed monthly service fee is $40 higher than the quoted price. They are charging the wrong bank account which they promised they would not do and my sales rep Dennielle ** is apparently putting me off intentionally.

When I contacted the support folks they advised me to get in touch with my account rep, Dennielle **. The last communication with her was via text message this past Tuesday Mar 26th, where she informed me she was in a meeting and that she had another meeting immediately after that meeting and would take of closing my account soon after the meeting.... I guess I'll have to stop payment on this account because now she's not responding at all. My advice is to not give these people any information about yourself at all. In fact if they call you, just hang up the phone and block their number to prevent them from calling.

Original review: March 29, 2019

I have been a customer of Vonage for many years of which most of the period I couldn’t use it so I was just paying £9.25 every month. So finally I have decided to cancel the line and I called Vonage, and after few minutes of conversation when I firmly said that I need to cancel the line I could sense the lady’s tone and expressions all changed, all of a sudden I became an unwanted person. Also the final outstanding balance was 9.25 and they have suspended the line just because I couldn’t make this latest payment, and although I wanted to disconnect the line (i.e, there is no need of reconnecting the line) she has made sure to add a reconnection fee of £6+.

And finally when I was transferred to the cancellation team I was told that I can switch to a suitable package of just £3.99 a month which they don’t market openly. I was truly shocked that they have been ripping me off all this time while knowing that my line is inactive throughout and charged me £9.25 but not offered this reduced package instead. Honestly, very disappointed with Vonage and I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone.

Original review: March 22, 2019

Have had no problems therefore very pleased with service. Thank you, Vonage! In this Thacker Grigsby area it is a challenge to get service and I am very pleased with being able to add this on to Spectrum service for TV and internet.

Vonage response

Great feedback Janet! We genuinely appreciate and value your opinion. We’re glad to hear that you’re happy with our service!

Regards,

Jeff N
Vonage Executive Response Team
Vonage Corporate Headquarters Holmdel NJ, USA

Available Mon thru Fri 9:30am to 6:00pm ET

Original review: March 18, 2019

THEY NEVER EXPLAINED HOW PAYMENT IS ONLY BY CARD WHEN OUR COMPANY DOES CHECKS. THEY COULDN'T CHANGE PAYMENT METHOD THEREFORE I HAD TO PAY $900 to cancel when I only had them for a week. When I ask them to uninstall their equipment they refuse to do so stating that Verizon needs to do this. However Vonage messed up the whole system and used Verizon box. This place is horrible and useless. They are no help and rude. They don't provide 30 day money back or help me by removing the wires they placed.

Original review: March 13, 2019

I helped my 75yr old dad deal with the Customer Service for Vonage. The agent who helped him kept talking over him, refused to update his email stating that it is not possible. She was insistent that all the confirmation of the service cancellation will go to the email that is no longer exists and she cannot change it. She was speaking as if she was reading a teleprompter and not listening to me nor my dad.

When I asked to speak to her manager she refused and said that her manager will not be able to change the email on file and that the manager will agree with her. I explained that my dad did not have an online account and requested the documents be mailed via USPS; as it does not make sense to email information to a closed email. I further explained that we did not consent to paperless communication. She placed me on hold to let her manager know, and suddenly per her manager she was able to change my email. As she was working my refund she placed me on hold and hung up. After almost an hour we were hung up on. I called back and was placed on hold. Unlike other agents, she did not bother to call us back. Vonage customer service is just terrible.

Resolution response: March 15, 2019

After giving Vonage the original date of purchase and the amount, they *did* credit my account. Please allow this credit to happen via customer service in the future. Thanks for taking care of this.

Original review: March 11, 2019

So, I paid them to have phone credit for calls made from my iPhone using their app. I had them on my iPhone just in case my message units ran out on my iPhone using T-Mobile as a backup. Well, yesterday, I tried to use them, but they said I had no credit on my account. Now, I never used that credit before and when I called today, the customer service representative said I had to use the app once every 6 months, or else, they will deduct $1.00 for every month that passes after that. So, in essence, they took my credit and pocketed it.

Had I known this was their dishonest practice, I would have, of course, used the app at least once in a while, rather than as an emergency choice. They never sent me an email, no notice whatsoever. And none of this was written when you pay them to receive their service. Only after-the-fact… totally sneaky. Never again. Oh, and customer service cannot give any credit for anything; please know that if you think they can do anything to make it right. They can't and won't.

Original review: March 2, 2019

I had been a Vonage customer for 5+ years. Now when I put in an application for porting my number which I have used for 5+ years, they keep cancelling it citing some irrelevant reason. When I call customer care they say all they can do is file a ticket.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

I used them for a year and the billing was always inconsistent and varied almost every month. Then I found a better provider, made the switch on 2/05/19 to Lightspeed and they still took my payment on 2/27/19. I called Vonage to see why it wasn't cancelled on 2/28/19 and they cancelled effective same day and told me they don't do refunds. So even though I haven't used their service they are still stealing my money.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

Had technical issues after first month, as in no phone service at all. Spoke with many "technical" assistants, no one could fix issue. Promised refund for lack of service, and never received it. Horrible company.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

I ordered Vonage and they billed me $18.99 twice on 2/13 and once on 2/14. I waited for 10 minutes to have an idiot tell me to go to the account and I will only see one charge. I sent my bank statement proving 3 charges. She said their fraud department would look into this. I complain about them stealing my money and they hint that I may have been fraudulent. They finally figured it out and apologized but that took 30 minutes for them to realize THEY MADE THE MISTAKE. I am passing this on to NYS Consumer Affairs and have cancelled my account. Go buy MagicJack - it's cheaper and better!!

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

Requested a quote for my small business back in October 2018. The rep named Wilfredo stated in order for me to keep the quoted rates I would have to electronically sign and enter my credit card number to secure the rates for Oct 2018. Yes, I got scammed and I'm embarrassed for it. Vonage created service for VOIP lines I can't use and service I didn't authorize. Vonage drafted my credit card 2 months before I noticed the charge. I've filed a complaint with the BBB and Vonage didn't bother to respond to the complaint. I called Vonage also, but get bounced around from rep to rep and no resolution. Posting this so consumers are aware of the deceptive unethical sales practices. I'll be filing a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission and will post my experience on other sites until I get a response from Vonage.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

Vonage Business offers some neat features so I ordered the service and bought a VOIP Phone. WHen I got the phone I could not get on to their online portal with my account #, account ID or password. Seems simple right? Emails to reset my password would not work when I tried it. Then when I finally FOUND the chat function on the Vonage Business website and waiting in queue for 8 minutes the rep. sent me a password reset and it would not work either. Tried chatting five times today and the chat function is so buried on their website it took up half my day. I called in on the Vonage Business toll free and was on hold for a long while until the first rep. with attitude got on and started asking me to validate this and that and never listened to my issue, just sent an email to reset my password and again did not work.

Finally I called and had to be transferred to account management to hear the story yet again and validate my account yet again. I then asked to just cancel the account and send back the phone because I thought if it is this tough to set up and the service is this bad NOW, what happens when I have a problem. The guy was nice enough but then told me "per their terms of service" there is NO REFUND on the phone. WHAT? A phone I just ordered Thursday and got today and can't get to work?

BUYERS BEWARE- this company is a large behemoth of a mess with terrible customer service. OH, and why I could not get my account ID to work online or get my account # to work or be recognized on the phone when I called in? It was "pending" and not live. WOW! ALl this great online portal stuff with ID and user codes and passwords and doesn't work to set up your phone. JUST ANOTHER AWFUL BEHEMOTH OF A COMPANY that is more concerned about stock price than customer service. No Google reviews, no Facebook reviews.

Vonage expert review by Ellen Muraskin

An industry-leading provider of telecommunications services, Vonage offers a complete range of VoIP solutions for home, business and on the go.​

• Business packages: First known for their residential service, Vonage offers a robust suite of small business services, including contact center, video conferencing and CRM integration.

• Unified communications: Unified communications across Vonage's private, managed MPLS network ensures quality audio and no dropped calls.

• Discounts: By signing up for a one-year contract, users can enjoy annual contract discounts.

• MobileConnect: Vonage’s MobileConnect app links your business extension to your mobile device, letting you make mobile calls through your Vonage Business phone service.

• Free calls to landlines and mobile phones: Calling is free to landlines in more than 60 countries and to mobile phones in 10. Rates to other countries are competitive with other VoIP providers and are based on calling plan.

• Best for: Residential users, salespeople and small businesses.

Profile picture of Ellen Muraskin
Ellen Muraskin VoIP Contributing Editor

Ellen Muraskin has been writing about telecom and IT since 1993 when she joined the marketing department of Dialogic. In 1996 she joined the editorial staff of CMP’s Computer Telephony Magazine, rising to Executive Editor before joining Ziff Davis Media to launch the VoIP topic center of their eweek.com site. She served as senior copywriter for IT infrastructure company Raritan and has written and edited for several publications.

Vonage Company Information