Call toll free
4.77/5
Based on 52 reviews that contain star ratings

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

VirtualPBX can have your business phone system up and running in 5 minutes. We offer VoIP, analog, and smartphone options for you to choose from. With Dash Plans you can save anywhere from 40%-80% over traditional phone systems. Your employees can also work anywhere there’s an internet connection so your business doesn’t have to stop. Does your business rely on an onsite PBX system? No problem. VirtualPBX can deploy a SIP Trunking solution that meets your needs. Also, we have some of the brightest technical support in the industry and they are located right here in the USA. Call today to see what VirtualPBX can offer you and your business!

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

52 VirtualPBX Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

I was a customer for 8 years before the company suddenly increased their prices from roughly $60/month to ~$600/month. We had been using the product simply as a virtual voicemail service and were happy to pay about $750/year for very little. However, this new pricing scheme would amount to making our least important piece of technology (basically a VM spam filter) more expensive than all of our CRM, collaboration tools, and other technology combined. VirtualPBX is terrible... customers BEWARE. Also, if they keep their strong rating here for much longer, I have to believe it is because fully business is happening with the review site because this is simply egregious.

Hi Michael,

Thank you for working with us to resolve the problem you experienced. Providing a great customer experience is very important to us, and we are sorry that your initial experience did not meet that standard. We appreciate the chance you gave Lawrence to work with you to resolve the situation. Should you have any further questions or concerns we are at your service. Lastly, our customer reviews are very important to us, and we hope that you would be willing to revise your review based on your further experiences.

We appreciate your time and your business.

Charlie from VirtualPBX

Get expert buying tips about VoIP Internet Phone Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 5, 2018

Hello Jeff ** and/or Billing Department. I just realized that we never received a refund or the refund check that was supposed to be issued once your telephone was sent back. We received confirmation that your office did indeed receive the telephone, was there a problem with the refund? In the beginning they were great until they couldn't solve our problems with our phones so now they won't return any emails or phone calls.

Hi Clyde,

We are truly sorry for this inconvenience. I checked with our billing team and it sounds like they reached out to you to confirm the delivery. At this time we are experiencing a short delay with our refund processing times due to the holiday. Please note that we have not forgotten about you. Sending your refund is our top priority come Monday morning. In the meantime, we appreciate your patience. Please don't hesitate to contact us should you have any questions.

All the best,

Charlie from VirtualPBX

Original review: Jan. 22, 2018

It’s been a long time since we’ve had VirtualPBX. It was tied with our fax number and we use it just to get faxes. However, it’s difficult to use once we logged in. It’s an old system and they really need to upgrade it. But the representatives have been helpful and everything seems to be fine.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2017

I liked the VirtualPBX website, how easy it was to sign up and their pricing. I used a couple of different business phone systems before but VirtualPBX has done very favorably. I use it for making phone calls and I like the fact that I can get multiple mailboxes through my one phone where with other companies, the mailbox is associated with the actual phone number. With VirtualPBX, I can dial-in my county, tech support or the sales department, get all mailboxes and voicemail through.

There have been no major problems getting my phones to work with their system, the porting of phone numbers. That was very quick. In the beginning, though there was an issue getting my one phone to work. I wasn’t able to get phone calls in. But the tech support got right on it and was able to fix it. It was done in 15 minutes. The system has been seamless, transparent and everything has been pretty good so far. As a matter of fact, I'm going to spend some time, later on, tonight to get more in-depth into the user interface.

But I hope they offer a little bit more of the on-hold music and have a little bit better instructions on how to actually use the automated voice system as a message thing like if I had set up an extension which is sales. I figured while going through some of my older virtual phones that I had that in order for anyone to get pauses, you have to actually put in a bunch of commas or periods. That's something that VirtualPBX needs to let people know of because if not, if you type in something, it's just going to be one word right after the other one without any pauses.

Hi Omar,

Right on! We are glad to hear you had a seamless experience with our signup, pricing, and phone system setup.

In regards to the on-hold music selection, have you considered uploading music? Nevertheless, I'll be sure to pass your feedback along to add additional default music options.

Lastly, thanks for your suggestions on our text-to-speech option. Unfortunately, with the older system, it sometimes requires the user to insert commas or periods. To completely avoid having this issue arise in the future, I would highly recommend switching to Dash Plans. Dash technology is superior and won't require the same tweaking that vConsole occasionally requires.

-Charlie from VirtualPBX

Original review: Dec. 21, 2017

When we switched over to VirtualPBX, we were concerned how often the site goes down and if there are any big issues. But their service doesn't seem to be bad at all. Plus, it has saved us some money. Our phone bill kept on getting higher and higher. My colleague had thought about switching for a number of years but getting us to change is beyond impossible. Phone sales is our thing and changing from what you know could affect your whole business. But in the end, it worked out pretty well.

I manage the sales team. I like being able to see who's on the phone. If somebody asks for my customer service, I could transfer them over without having to worry if that employee is on the phone. However, we have some issues with the speed of the site. Sometimes, when I log on in the morning to get the other guys on, it takes some time since the website tends to be slow. Another issue is when one picks up the call, it should say, "Call from", and then read the number off. But sometimes, it doesn't do so. Other than those, I would still recommend VirtualPBX to people.

Hi Shaun,

We are glad to stabilize your business phone bill and save you money! If you are experiencing any glitches in the system we would like to get our VoIP experts on it. Please contact our support team at support@virtualpbx.com.

-Charlie from VirtualPBX

How do I know I can trust these reviews about VirtualPBX?

Original review: Dec. 15, 2017

We were looking for a better phone system and we thought we would try the internet phones. VirtualPBX is a lot easier to use and their customer service is great. When we first got on, I called them a lot, and they were very helpful and the problems were easily resolved. I like the incoming call routing and we use that every day. VirtualPBX made transferring calls easier and now we can leave individual voice messages which we didn't have with our previous provider. We are happy with them and the service that they provide.

Hi Yolanda,

Thanks for this review! We are glad to hear that you're happy with our Advanced Call Routing, Custom Greetings and overall ease of the system!

-Charlie from VirtualPBX

Original review: Dec. 11, 2017

I had a hardwired PBX system placed for 12-15 years. It was the one on the wall that you bring in and the system shoots to all the phones. It was a very cumbersome system with lines and guys coming in, and transformers and programming going dead. I Googled and Grasshopper and a couple other companies came up, but they seem too commercialized. Then I saw VirtualPBX and I searched the company history, as well as where they’re used. I have about 4 account with VirtualPBX and they are easy to bill and easy to work with, and I can do everything with it. I can use it to go on hold with the sub-mailboxes and it’s very easy to transfer my phone number. When I click online, it’s more user-friendly than the other systems I had. It’s also very easy to set up and go on and use the snap recording.

VirtualPBX is much more convenient. It’s good for a small business like mine. I do a lot of rental management and VirtualPBX is great as everything forwards like the chats and emails. I can check messages at 11 at night without hearing the phone ring. Customer service is excellent too as I always get a response. I have a cold nail but when I click in the right-hand corner, somebody always pops up and solves my crashed system. VirtualPBX is a great company and I’m very happy with them.

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the review! We are glad to hear that you've experienced excellent customer service and upgraded phone system performance while on Dash Plans.

Charlie from VirtualPBX

Original review: July 30, 2017

We were doing a search online for a phone system we could use for the business. We were mainly looking to have an 800 number. We had been in touch with Virtual and a couple of others. We had initially chosen another one earlier on last year but it didn’t work out because we had some particular things where we need to connect while we're overseas. VirtualPBX has been able to do that, so we made the decision to go with them only for that purpose. We use both the cell phones and the computer version, and in our actual office, we have the deaf phone.

When we started, we had a few issues when trying to get set up with iPhones and Androids. But we got everything done and we've been very appreciative of the support that we received since we came on. Also, we have a couple other unusual situations that having the VoIP capability and being able to use lines over the internet has been beneficial for us in our work. We are really satisfied.

Hi John,

Thanks for sharing this excellent review! It makes our day to hear that you're satisfied with your VirtualPBX phone system! If you don't mind us asking, what impressed you about our international calling options?

Charlie, Community Specialist

Original review: July 18, 2017

I went to YouTube and was looking for phone services. They were reviewing a number of company and VirtualPBX was one of them. The review was promoting two other companies and then when I looked into all the companies, I chose VirtualPBX. I liked their webpage interface. Also, the plans that they offered were more simplistic and catered to my needs. The other ones were a little more trickier to navigate. I got more bang for my buck with VirtualPBX. Plus, they're fast. The execution was outstanding.

The system does what it's supposed to do. I don't have so many issues that have to back and forth into anything. Everything works like it should so that's what I really like the most about VirtualPBX. They want to show me more features but right now I don't need all additional sophistication and when I do I'll be there and they can give it to me. And they're in a position to kind of roll with me as I need it. There's a lot of flexibility that I can employ with the system. It's pretty dynamic and there are a lot of options that I could do when I'm ready to go and expand. Overall, it's been an excellent experience with VirtualPBX and I recommend them.

Original review: July 15, 2017

We had a PBX system that was cobbled together by our former IT manager and it died up. I needed something that would replace that and wouldn’t require an IT person to always babysit it for me. Our company down-sized and we don’t have a full time IT person anymore. VirtualPBX has been simple and straight forward and I didn’t have to think about anything. We use it as a phone and voicemail and that is perfect for us.

During the initial set-up phase, the guy was really nice and friendly. However, he was new and I wasn’t able to get very far with him. I knew he was doing his best for me but I asked if there’s somebody that he can put me to. And then I got a woman who was fantastic. We didn’t have reliable phones before and it's a damper on things and having a reliable phone service now is really helpful. Plus, it’s a pretty big advantage knowing that if something goes wrong there’s someone I can go to to get it fixed and not me sitting around trying to figure it out. My experience with VirtualPBX is easy, smooth and trouble-free.

Original review: April 4, 2017

I really like VirtualPBX. I decided to use it because of the cost. We use a different company before and VirtualPBX is way better. We use it for local and long-distance calling.

Original review: March 23, 2017

Before using VirtualPBX, we had AT&T then we had a hard system in our office. I've decided to contact VirtualPBX due to cost savings over AT&T and the flexibility of the system, being a plug and play, when relocating. We're a pest control service business and use the system for inbound/outbound, sales, customer service. The apps and stuff that were added to the system allow us to be able to call customers from our cellphone and have the desk phones show the office number. Those have helped us and gave us more consistency in our look.

We've been with VirtualPBX for a long time and their customer service is the reason we've stayed with them. They're very friendly and helpful and one would always get an answer. They're always willing to go the next step. If one has a question, they'll research. One will get the answer quickly if they don't have it. When we first signed up, we had equipment from our other hard phone system. That was void, but VirtualPBX was able to help us keep the information so that we weren't out of any expense on buying different phones. They didn't make any money on doing that and it helped us out. I'd recommend them.

Hi Mike,

Thanks for sharing your positive transition from your previous hard-wired AT&T system to VirtualPBX. Allowing your pest control service to communicate more efficiently and economically is why we're here.

Charlie from VirtualPBX

Original review: March 10, 2017

Our company originally started back in 2005. Our previous phone service provider was Time Warner and they're not very good. Three years ago, we started using VirtualPBX when we did the reservation line and they are way better than the previous provider. Their message center is really convenient and user-friendly. In addition, their team have always been extremely helpful and patient when we've had to call due to phones being down or the phone reception will sound like a fax machine. Sometimes, when we call in a panic, they’re always very calm, cool and collected. Plus, they always follow up. They’re really great.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2017

We use VirtualPBX for customer inbound and outbound calls. They're thorough and reliable, good about following up, and genuinely interested in solving any issues that we had. Having them is cost-effective.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2016

When we had a problem, VirtualPBX were super useful. The system was not working properly for me - something had happened. I called, and it was taken care of pretty much on the spot. The team followed up after the fact to make sure that everything was fine, and that was a very good customer service. Plus I like the fact that I can be on the road, make phone calls, and everything is recorded so I don't have to take notes. VirtualPBX system is very efficient for what we need to do, and we can be mobile with looking like we're in the office, which is amazing. It's practical and functional.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2016

We got in contact with VirtualPBX because somebody that we've worked with had used them before. We got VirtualPBX for office use, inbound and outbound. It helps that we can contact people depending on whoever they want to reach. They reach them right away instead of having a telephone operator. It’s been a good experience.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2016

We have all of our calls go to VirtualPBX and then they’re forwarded to us. Our clients are the ones that are directly getting the benefit out of it. They just call a single number and then it’s all routed to us. It allows for those calls to be routed to us wherever we are, so nothing gets missed. From the point of view of client service, it’s definitely an improvement. I went through some situations with their team a week ago and they were all on top of it and I’m very pleased. I was trying to find a way to make certain processes simpler and more streamlined, and I couldn’t figure out how to do it so they walked me through it. They explained and came up with other solutions which I was really grateful for.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2016

I saw VirtualPBX from The Hartford insurance company's newsletter. We had a need for executive account products so I contacted them. Before using their system, we just used cell phones. Now, we use it for conference calling and of course for calling between staff members. Their reps were very helpful. In fact, when I first signed up, I got a call from somebody who'd want to help. So, there was plenty of help and the onboarding process was very good.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2016

We were looking for Internet phone service so we contacted VirtualPBX, and we've had a great experience. Our VirtualPBX system has some office use but 90% of it is for incoming calls because we have our show time recordings and hours of operation. We use mostly the greetings and being able to have the different extensions and it made things a lot easier because we have both of our companies on the same account. Their team has been great and they get right back to us and help anytime we call and need anything. When we didn't know how to get some stuff set up, I made a phone call and they guided us right through it over the phone and got everything done. They're very easy to work with.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2016

I was doing an internet search for business phone systems. The simplified caller routing, and the professionally recorded prompts and on-hold messages are the two main things we were looking for, and VirtualPBX seemed to have all these functions. Since we had the system, it’s freed up my time, so that other people can respond to phone calls rather than all of them coming to mine. And the voicemail to email has been helpful so multiple people can see the messages there and they can respond to them more quickly. However, there wasn’t anything in the information that was provided that Bluetooth isn’t compatible with their system. I had to find it out after we had activated it.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2016

I needed a solution that VirtualPBX provided. We use the system for mainly inbound calls and we don't use a prompt or anything. I use the call screen feature the most. It's nice to have them for our business especially for its convenience factor. I'd recommend them.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2016

I needed a phone system that could serve as backup for our internal phone system so I contacted VirtualPBX. I use the queue tool frequently with the PBX system and use it only for inbound calls.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2016

After learning more about VirtualPBX and how it is used, I thought it was a good alternative. We signed up with them and have been using their fax and phone services. They made doing business easier for us. We got assistance from tech support in the beginning, but once we got the system set, we became familiar with it enough that we can make minor changes on our own.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2016

My business associate and partner, Tony, and I were looking for a PBX phone system that would work for us because I live in Seattle and he lives down in the Bay Area. VirtualPBX seemed cost-effective so we got them and they've been great. I've been happy with them. We use the conferencing calling line a lot. It's effective for us, with our clients generally calling in when they need to talk to either me or Tony. It's just one common line and they can hit 1 for Tony or 2 for me. So, the system works well for us in that respect.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2016

VirtualPBX served the purpose that I needed it for and it was to have a customer service number to post on our website for our mobile patient monitoring company.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2016

VirtualPBX has a reputation for dependability of uptime and I'm on a very, very basic system with a single line. I don’t have a big company but I use their basic PBX number with a forward and I use their cellphone software. I use very few of their very advanced features, but they have been exceptionally dependable. I’ve been in touch with their team on quite a number of service calls, assistance calls, and billing department calls and I’ve never seen a more customer service technically proficient and professionally oriented company working ever in the past 20 years. They’re great and the best company I know of. I would recommend them to anyone for any reason.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2016

I needed the service and VirtualPBX seemed like they had what I needed, so I contacted them. I'm a one-person office so I'm not in the office all the time. Sometimes I'm out on an appointment or I'm going to lunch. So all I really use it for is to transfer calls to my cellphone when people dial my business phone number, and I pick it up and answer just like I'm in the office.

The problem is that sometimes VirtualPBX has different options. If I pick a particular option, I hear a recording that says, "If you'd like to receive this call punch the number to accept the call or punch this to not accept the call." By the time I get my cellphone and switch over to the number pad and punch the number, the people are already gone and have already hung up. There's another option where I don't get that information. Instead, what happens is when the people call, they hear a recorded message that says, "Please hold while your call is transferred." Either one defeats the whole purpose of what I really want to do, which is have people call my business number. I want it to ring and the first thing I want people to hear is me picking up the phone saying, "Mike speaking, how can I help you?"

The whole purpose is to not let the client know they're being transferred. To them, they call the number and I answer the phone. And to me, the phone rings and I answer it. Other than that, VirtualPBX is a really good system. It's designed for an office that doesn't want to have a receptionist. It gets as close as I can get to what I really want. Now, the best of those options is to have it say, "Please don't worry, your call is transferred." That way, I won't have to punch numbers to get the call.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2016

I had their service about a year ago and just turned it back on. I use the phone for inbound and outbound calls. I’ve got a home business and I use them for my personal use. I’ve got a phone at my house and a phone at my cottage. When I’m not home, it’ll ring up there. I like the ability to not miss calls. I had several support issues last week and their staff was great and very helpful. I’ve been happy with VirtualPBX and would recommend them to other people.

Original review: July 29, 2016

I didn't want to give out my personal number, so I needed VirtualPBX for my business. It's like two-in-one because I also use the PBX system for faxing, so I don't have to have a fax machine at home, and can do this through my email, which is one great thing about it. But I don't use most of the features of the system. I just use it to forward my calls to my other line, for both inbound/outbound sales outreach calls and customer assistance calls. Also, I usually figure out everything myself because they have everything on "Frequently Asked Questions". Everything is straightforward and explained. I would recommend them. They're affordable and they've got great customer service.

Original review: July 25, 2016

I was using an entry-level VoIP provider system before and VirtualPBX had been recommended by a company I was doing business with. I like VirtualPBX better since it's a next-level phone system and has more features, one of which is the recording that I use on every call. Their team is also a pleasure to work with. One of the best things I like about them is they take their time with me and never rush. Usually with businesses functioning at that level, everybody is in a hurry, and especially with somebody who's small like me. They never come across that way with me. I wish they had an even smaller package - the easier entry-level package - but their service is really good.

VirtualPBX expert review by Ellen Muraskin

VirtualPBX was one of the first to offer hosted PBX solutions to businesses. Based in San Jose, CA, they serve businesses across the United States and over 40 countries worldwide.

• Dash plan: VirtualPBX’s Dash plans have five-minute setup and are ideal for small and medium-sized businesses, from one to over 100 people. This cloud-based system can be adjusted easily as your business grows and changes.

• Office Plans: VirtualPBX's Office plans ramp up to live tech support and call center features.

• Intelligent call routing: With Office Plans, VirtualPBX lets you route calls depending on incoming area code, exchange or even by caller-entered numbers such as serial or part number. This is also a great way to support foreign-language customers.

• Concierge upgrade: Customers can add a concierge upgrade to their system for a one-time startup fee of $50 and a monthly fee of $49. This service takes care of loading and customizing your new VoIP system for your particular users and needs. The VirtualPBX concierge continues to review your service and offer periodic configuration changes that help improve performance and save you money.

• Routers, desk and conference phones: Compatible routers, desk and conference phones can be purchased through VirtualPBX. These can be mixed and matched with preexisting landline or soft VoIP phones, for mobile extensions.

• Application: VirtualPBX's application, for desktop or smartphone, confers extension functions without the hardware, making it easy to make, receive, conference or record calls over your data connection or Wi-Fi. Outbound calls use your business caller ID instead of your personal number.

• PBX Parachute: Virtual PBX calls its remote backup/disaster recovery system PBX Parachute. It mirrors your primary phone system and makes extensions out of alternate phones or softphones if your on-site PBX system fails or if your business becomes inaccessible for any reason.

• Network Health Check: For an additional fee, VirtualPBX monitors your network for a full week to make sure you have the bandwidth and discipline to support quality voice. (Hint: Netflix downloads may choke your network!).

• Best for: Any size businesses up to several hundred users, as well as contact centers.

Profile picture of Ellen Muraskin
Ellen Muraskin VoIP Contributing Editor

Ellen Muraskin has been writing about telecom and IT since 1993 when she joined the marketing department of Dialogic. In 1996 she joined the editorial staff of CMP’s Computer Telephony Magazine, rising to Executive Editor before joining Ziff Davis Media to launch the VoIP topic center of their eweek.com site. She served as senior copywriter for IT infrastructure company Raritan and has written and edited for several publications.

VirtualPBX questions and answers

What problem is VirtualPBX trying to solve?
Our main goal is to provide cost-effective, self-managed communications solutions to businesses all over the world.
What sets your company apart from the competition?
We were one of the first providers of hosted pbx solutions for businesses. We’ve been around and we’re here to stay because of our ongoing commitment to our customers. It is our first priority and shapes our innovative process.
What are the most common misconception consumers have about your industry?
VoIP is difficult. This couldn’t be further from the truth, in fact, after having the ability to adjust your phone systems with a few clicks of a mouse, going to back to a traditional hardware system is nearly impossible. And because VirtualPBX services are hosted in the cloud, you no longer need to pay for or maintain physical hardware and switches.
How has your industry changed in the last 5 to 10 years?
When we first began, the idea of a virtually hosted telecom solution – one that required no onsite hardware – was new. We spent a lot of time educating the market. Now that mobile connectivity is the norm, our customers are familiar with the service and we get to spend more time helping them advance their business communication strategy with features, custom configurations and reporting.
How do you think the industry will change in the next 5 to 10 years?
Our digital tools are becoming increasingly interconnected. The VoIP market is no different. We’re constantly looking for ways to integrate with our customers existing workflows to make their lives easier. The VoIP market is constantly evolving.
How has VirtualPBX grown or evolved?
VirtualPBX has always been a strong solution for small and medium-sized businesses without a robust IT staff or budget. Our phone systems are easy to update and are light on the budget, but as we got started, we quickly realized that these customers could also use help better understanding their internet connections. Over the years, we have developed our network support to include monitoring, remediation and bandwidth services. In 2016 we also rolled out a team available for onsite deployment in the continental U.S. This team, with members dispersed across the U.S., arrives at your place of business to handle a variety of network services.
How do you see the company growing or evolving in the future?
Our engineers are always working on ways to innovate our service. We’re currently cooking up a few new Dash features, UI enhancements for our vConsole customers and new additions to our integrations portfolio.
Where do great ideas come from in your organization?
Customers drive every facet of our business. We routinely take in feedback as a means to improve our services. We also pride ourselves on an extremely talented, energetic and interconnected team.
Do you have any advice or comments for your current and/or potential customers?
VirtualPBX can be deployed on your existing internet connection, but it’s important to consider if your network is prepared to handle the added traffic. Our Network IT Services team is available should you ever require assistance with configuration, monitoring, bandwidth, remediation or on-site services.

VirtualPBX Company Information