Learn More
Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.23/5

Verizon sells phones and phone plans across the United States. With stores and cell towers in every state, Verizon’s widespread reach allows customers to call, text or use data almost anywhere. Verizon customers can buy products from Apple, Samsung, Google and other phone manufacturers. The company also offers discounts for military members and first responders.

Verizon Wireless Reviews

Original review: April 8, 2020

I noticed that I was paying a lot more than what my friends were paying for monthly bills. I was not sure how to look up the details of my bill though. Went to the Verizon store in Concord, NH. They wouldn’t show me my usage or explain the bills to me. I was just told I should keep my unlimited plan because it would cost so much more if I went over my limit. I was also upgrading my phone. I wanted to buy a Mophie that attaches directly to my phone like a phone cover. The salesman said Mophie does not make them anymore and sold me a box full of items that I did not want in order to buy a mophie that is about a 3x3 inch box that you have to plug in to.

A week later I had a problem with the phone and they had me wait in another part of the showroom. There in front of me was an entire display of the mophie that I wanted. I talked to a salesman about it and he said they couldn’t do anything about it since I used the items. I demanded to speak to the manager and had to wait a half hour for his service. I told him I was lied to by his salesperson and demanded the return. He did give it to me. A couple of months later I went to Lakes Region Computer. They looked up my plan, explained it to me and found a plan that saved me $40.00 per month. They agreed that I was using only a portion of my plan and did not need unlimited. I do not trust the Concord store, they actually lie to customers, I suspect especially elders. Otherwise the coverage seems to work well in NH. I am a hiker and I need decent coverage.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2019

My experience at the downtown Philly Verizon store was the best experience I have ever had. It was solely due to an individual employee named Luis. Luis was courteous, diligent, and respectful. I am traveling in Philadelphia from Minneapolis and my phone had a hardware issue rendering it useless. Luis was able to quickly assist me in making an insurance claim and having a replacement phone overnighted to my home. He humbly assisted with deactivating my find my iPhone and did so with a smile on his face.

Additionally, my flight home was 2 hours from that time and I was unable to hail an Uber without a phone but Luis had a solution. He hailed an uber from his own phone to get me to the airport. I have never seen such dedication to customer service and satisfaction. Luis’s energy is contagious and my experience working with him was unparalleled. He is the type of individual that would make a tremendous leader. The way he conducted himself is a model of what outstanding, personable, and caring service can be. Kudos to Luis and I want to thank you for greatly exceeding all expectations. Give this man a raise and put him in a leadership role. He will do great things for this company.

Sincerely,

A thankful Minnesotan

Get buying tips about Cell Phones delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2019

I switched from AT&T GoPhone, which I had for years. I had an unlimited, with a 74 dollar android phone, and this was all howdy doody for me, because I am a simple, single mom in my thirties who am too busy to be bothered with fancy extravagances. However, I have a soon to be 11 year old girl, who I made the mistake of buying a Cricket phone at nine years old (cheaper than my Gophone) and let her have at it. Thinking erroneously that she was mature and "sweet" enough to stay out of trouble, I didn't think to check the little booger's phone much. When I finally did, I said," Woah! You're grounded from electronics indefinitely."

So six months later, after much contemplation, I realized that this was as much my fault (or probably more) than hers. I realized that at her age, she needs help when faced with grown up decisions. Enter Verizon. I could have my unlimited plan and they have a just kids plan for her that links with my phone, where I can know where she is, what she is doing, I can block websites, social media, whatever I deem inappropriate. Also, she can only have contact with 20 trusted contacts which I add from my phone. If she wishes to download an app from the app store, she hits the download button, Verizon sends me a request first, I look over the download and then I either approve or deny the request. I can setup up Apple pay on her phone, and then set up purchase limits on her phone so she can't go over 20 dollars a month, ever heard of robucks?

Speaking of Apple, we needed two cellphones that were Verizon phones, and Verizon sent us 2 brand new iPhone 7s. For free. With contractual agreement, of course. Which is a no brainer because if my bill gets too expensive, which it has, duh, birthdays come up, CHRISTMAS is coming! I can downgrade my plans on the Verizon app making my bill cheaper the next month. I can do this mid-month. I went from a 165 dollar phone bill to a 110 dollar phone bill just by amending my plan and apps.

Some special apps and perks Verizon offers are things like iTunes plans, the mentioned Verizon Smart Family app, Call filters (free), HD Voice (free), and even Verizon Roadside assistance for 3 dollars a month! There are many many purchase apps like VZ Navigator, Digital secure, and Voicemail to text. After choosing all the phone stuff and necessary stuff, like wireless phone protection for your precious new iPhone, your bill does add up. But these are all removable at any time, like I said, if life happens. All in all, I pay more for Verizon, but I really think it's worth it.

One more thing before you go! I called customer service a few times when I was a newbie, and you have to wait long waiting periods for a rep. You want to pull out your hair, until they get to you. Sooo polite, no heavy accent. They spend all the time in the world with you. Once they waited for my iPhone update to finish. Once we got disconnected and the guy sent me a text that said he was sorry, he was still working on my issue, and he would call me back when he got it worked out! So you realize, it's worth the wait. And, I haven't had an issue with speed. Currently, I'm on an 8 gig plan I share with my daughter, and it hasn't been a problem. Mainly bc I have control of her screen time. Enjoy!

Original review: June 29, 2019

Usually dealing with the call center reps for mobile network carriers is a nightmare. Either you are speaking to someone with a very heavy accent and the language barriers between you and the agent are so frustrating you end up hanging up and calling back to get a new representative, or you talk to some snooty chick who acts like she has no reason to try and help you out in the slightest and how dare you ask for your bill to be reduced and you literally hear rolling her eyes at ever question you ask. Well, not with Verizon.!!!

I switched from Cricket Wireless which I subscribed to for the last five years over to Verizon about two months ago. Cricket's customer service department was entirely made up of extremely rude ** who disdainfully tell you that if you are unhappy with your bill or service, that you can leave and no longer be a customer but that no matter what they will not ever give you a discount or refund the BS fees that should not have been assessed to your account in the first place. Verizon is over three times as expensive per month but my goodness is it worth it. Not only are the wireless and cellular network services so much faster than any other carrier I have used, but the call center guys are the nicest and most helpful people I've ever had to deal with!

They broke down my issue for me, walked me thru it step by step even though it was uncomplicated and probably would take most people 2 minutes to get they it he stayed on with my for 42 minutes, taking tons of time with me to help me understand and answered all my stupid questions. He then helped me cut down on some services I was paying for which I didn't really want or need, and then set up a payment arrangement and waived the payment fee for me since it was going to add more to my balance owed than how much he had cut off my bill in the first place. I love Verizon and I will never switch again no matter how ridiculously expensive it gets. It's actually worth the money, like for real. :)

Original review: June 8, 2019

I had been with another carrier for 12 years. The signal was fine at my house in North Carolina but I got practically no signal when I'd travel to Georgia where most of my family lives. I have my elderly father on my cellphone plan and we'd both decided to do away with our landlines and use our cellphones exclusively. I went to my carrier to update the phones and that's when the problems began. First I had to wait for 45 minutes before someone would help me. Then when it came to trading in the phones for new ones, they told me basically they don't give you anything for your old phones. The phones were iPhone 7s phones. My bill was going to be even higher, over $200, and they basically acted like they didn't care if I stayed with them or not. I've never paid a bill late in the entire 12 years I've been with them.

After asking them several times if they could do better I decided to go to the Verizon store across the street. I was greeted at the door by a CSR. They listened to my needs and within 30 mins. I had two new iPhone XR's, an unlimited plan for both, and they credited me for the phones I traded in. Plus, since my dad is a veteran I also got $30 off my monthly bill. I bought these phones during their "Dads and Grads" special so one of the phones was free. The signal is great on both of them and I'm very happy. They set up and activated both phones for me and showed me how to use them. I'm also paying $60 a month less than I did at my old carrier. If I sign up for autopay it will be an additional $10 off the bill. I bought these at the Shelby, NC store and I couldn't have asked for more. They were all very nice and very helpful.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Verizon Wireless?

Original review: May 22, 2020

Verizon has provided terrible wireless service, lied about fees and about our plan staying the same. It’s tragic that so many good companies are going out of business while these vultures keep overcharging for lousy service. They are the worst!

Original review: May 21, 2020

Liars, cheaters, cons, scammers, poor customer service, absolutely NO common sense, repeat themselves, have no idea what they are!! doing!!!! I have to call them at least 3-4 times a week because I have unlimited data mobile hotspot & they slow it down so I cant use it. So then I call it gets fixed for a day or 2 & back to same ole same ole. Just sick and tired of being sick and tired ya know... Good luck if you stay or choose Verizon!!!!

Original review: May 20, 2020

We had decided to stop services with Verizon Wireless due to high cost of services. In February of 2020 we contacted the Financial Department as we were told to do to pay off our devices and stop services with them. I had stated we wanted to stop services with them, pay off all devices and was told the total for my request was $853, of which I paid. I was told this was the grand total for all devices and they were "sorry they were losing me as a customer" etc. I received a bill for $42 dollars the following month and disregarded it as they had done this before with a different account and I was told $853 was the total and that was the end of it. The next month I get another bill and then another.

I finally called to find out what was going on as the bill was then $137. When I got someone on the phone they then said there was a $120 early termination fee for the iPad and the initial $42 was the service line fee for the iPad! I explained when I had contacted them in February to pay off all devices and end services that the COMPLETE total was $853 including the iPad. I informed them their employee had assured me everything was included in that total. They then told me too I had to now pay the $120 early termination fee AND the $137 even though they were at fault since they told me everything was paid off with the initial payoff.

Most businesses will usually rectify their mistakes when their employees are at fault, but not Verizon Wireless. I had even told them I would pay the $120 fee and the initial $42, but they just kept saying I had to pay the $257. THEY were in the wrong and should have made things right, but all they care about is their money not their customers or previous customers. Never have I encountered a businesses refusal to admit their error as well as refusal to rectify their mistake. It appears Verizon Wireless only cares about their customers' money and not customer satisfaction.

Original review: May 19, 2020

Ordered a new phone, I was not allowed to pick it up at a local store, I.e. purchase online and have it dropped at my local store. I paid for next day air by 1030AM PST. I am self employed and staying home waiting for a new business phone costs me money. After day 2 No phone, and Verizon could care less, all they want to do is refund, or credit to my bill the shipping. UPS is garbage. Even worse than Verizon. Long time customer too with 3 phones. Verizon should have offered me a replacement and or made calls on my behalf to locate a suitable phone so as to mitigate my losing wages waiting around for a phone. Also Verizon should let the customer pick how they want it shipped since in many areas shippers are better and worse.

Original review: May 19, 2020

I’d like to say that I have a lot of life experience- growing up in the third poorest country in the world. And quite honestly, maintaining an account with Verizon is exponentially harder than trying to stay alive. I had AT&T.. They screwed me over several times so I thought, ‘I’ll show them, Imma switch to Verizon. Teach them to appreciate me a lil more.’ Little did I know, I simply just played myself.

Right off the bat, I found my self being charged double, even triple the amount I was initially told. The lack of honesty and transparency with the customers is staggering. I call their customer service more than I call my own mother. There is something fundamentally wrong with that. I should have seen this coming when I walked in to the store and asked for a simple plan with their cheapest iPhone. Communication is communication. I don’t need to match my student loans' payment just so I can receive 2 texts a day and a call once a month from my mother. I guess I wasn’t clear... This lady brought out the latest iPhone and offered the most expensive plan. Their intentions are clear- extract as much money as they can from the people that believe them when they say ‘we are here for you.’

I spent the following months constantly on the phone with CS asking them to explain the unexpected charges that would show up on each bill. Despite the fact that I’m on hold 90% of the time and CS usually doesn’t know how to help, I became close with them. Sometimes, I’ll call just to check in and say hi. It’s not their fault Verizon has a wack business plan. Anyways, you would [rightfully] assume that this is all due to the pandemic that sent the world into shock. But you know what happens when you assume. Haha. Love that one.

I called a rep inquiring about their proposed plan with this pandemic. The rep told me not to worry about it until the end of May. I thought, ‘perfect. I’ve lost my jobs but now I can rest assured that Verizon is here for me.’ Sort of like a dysfunctional parent. Once again, I was wrong. Verizon is more like that functional parent who only contacts their kid when they want something.

About a month ago, I kept receiving phone calls from an unknown number during times where I would normally be asleep (5am-6am). Eventually, my phone labeled it as spam. So I never picked up. I don’t like spam. I barely even like meat. But, one day I did because the call was later in the morning- like around 7. It was Verizon. Classic. The lady on the other line asked me if I could pay the bill. And I said, ‘I talked with a Rep and they said, I’m ok until the end of May.’ She just kept asking me when I could pay. And I kept reminding her that the world is ending as we know it and I’m struggling trying to keep my life going- which is incredibly hard to do without food or money to get that food. I am not sure what happened. She hung up.

The next day my line was cut. Fantastic right? Nope. But I realized, I’ve spent most of my life in a third world country. I’ve returned from spending 8 months in Belize helping girls recovering from sex trafficking. A cell phone plan isn’t necessary for survival. More specifically, a cell phone plan provided by a company who is willing to lie, cheat, and steal from their customers is absolutely not necessary. Unfortunately though, we do live in a world where people like this exist.

I would recommend sticking to watching the Verizon commercials- you would save a lot of money this way. Also remember, it’s almost never the reps or the customer service people’s fault. They are just following protocols and guidelines. The people that can implement actual change are conveniently unreachable. I hope this helped. Have a wonderful day. I’ve included a photo that encompasses Verizon’s idea on how they believe they will improve.

Verizon Wireless author review by ConsumerAffairs

Verizon Wireless is a subsidiary of Verizon Communications, which formed in 2000 when Bell Atlantic and GTE merged. Verizon Communications is a publically-traded company with headquarters in Basking Ridge, N.J. It offers cellular phone service through contract plans and unlimited prepaid plans for smartphones and basic phones.

• Features: Verizon’s prepaid plans come with many free features, including caller ID, call waiting, call forward, data alerts and three-way calling. Compatible phones also include voice mail, visual voicemail and mobile hotspot connectivity for free.

• Switch to monthly: Customers can use any phone purchased from Verizon for a prepaid plan if they decide to sign up for a monthly plan. This feature may appeal to those who need temporary service and may wish to return to a monthly, contract plan in the future.

• Canada and Mexico: All of Verizon’s prepaid plans for smartphones include unlimited text messages to mobile phones in Mexico and Canada. Customers can choose to add on minutes to place voice calls to Mexico and Canada or place international calls with a per-minute surcharge.

• Payment options: Customers can pay for service online or from their phone. They can also set up autopay so that their phones remain active. Although customers cannot simply make a payment in a Verizon store, they can purchase a refill card from a Verizon store and use that to refill their phone online.

• Next-day shipping: Customers who order a phone from Verizon to use with a prepaid plan receive free next-day shipping.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team