Verizon Wireless
3.14/5
Based on 3,540 ratings submitted in the last year

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Verizon Wireless

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

Verizon Wireless Reviews

Original review: Nov. 6, 2019

I switched from AT&T GoPhone, which I had for years. I had an unlimited, with a 74 dollar android phone, and this was all howdy doody for me, because I am a simple, single mom in my thirties who am too busy to be bothered with fancy extravagances. However, I have a soon to be 11 year old girl, who I made the mistake of buying a Cricket phone at nine years old (cheaper than my Gophone) and let her have at it. Thinking erroneously that she was mature and "sweet" enough to stay out of trouble, I didn't think to check the little booger's phone much. When I finally did, I said," Woah! You're grounded from electronics indefinitely."

So six months later, after much contemplation, I realized that this was as much my fault (or probably more) than hers. I realized that at her age, she needs help when faced with grown up decisions. Enter Verizon. I could have my unlimited plan and they have a just kids plan for her that links with my phone, where I can know where she is, what she is doing, I can block websites, social media, whatever I deem inappropriate. Also, she can only have contact with 20 trusted contacts which I add from my phone. If she wishes to download an app from the app store, she hits the download button, Verizon sends me a request first, I look over the download and then I either approve or deny the request. I can setup up Apple pay on her phone, and then set up purchase limits on her phone so she can't go over 20 dollars a month, ever heard of robucks?

Speaking of Apple, we needed two cellphones that were Verizon phones, and Verizon sent us 2 brand new iPhone 7s. For free. With contractual agreement, of course. Which is a no brainer because if my bill gets too expensive, which it has, duh, birthdays come up, CHRISTMAS is coming! I can downgrade my plans on the Verizon app making my bill cheaper the next month. I can do this mid-month. I went from a 165 dollar phone bill to a 110 dollar phone bill just by amending my plan and apps.

Some special apps and perks Verizon offers are things like iTunes plans, the mentioned Verizon Smart Family app, Call filters (free), HD Voice (free), and even Verizon Roadside assistance for 3 dollars a month! There are many many purchase apps like VZ Navigator, Digital secure, and Voicemail to text. After choosing all the phone stuff and necessary stuff, like wireless phone protection for your precious new iPhone, your bill does add up. But these are all removable at any time, like I said, if life happens. All in all, I pay more for Verizon, but I really think it's worth it.

One more thing before you go! I called customer service a few times when I was a newbie, and you have to wait long waiting periods for a rep. You want to pull out your hair, until they get to you. Sooo polite, no heavy accent. They spend all the time in the world with you. Once they waited for my iPhone update to finish. Once we got disconnected and the guy sent me a text that said he was sorry, he was still working on my issue, and he would call me back when he got it worked out! So you realize, it's worth the wait. And, I haven't had an issue with speed. Currently, I'm on an 8 gig plan I share with my daughter, and it hasn't been a problem. Mainly bc I have control of her screen time. Enjoy!

Original review: June 29, 2019

Usually dealing with the call center reps for mobile network carriers is a nightmare. Either you are speaking to someone with a very heavy accent and the language barriers between you and the agent are so frustrating you end up hanging up and calling back to get a new representative, or you talk to some snooty chick who acts like she has no reason to try and help you out in the slightest and how dare you ask for your bill to be reduced and you literally hear rolling her eyes at ever question you ask. Well, not with Verizon.!!!

I switched from Cricket Wireless which I subscribed to for the last five years over to Verizon about two months ago. Cricket's customer service department was entirely made up of extremely rude ** who disdainfully tell you that if you are unhappy with your bill or service, that you can leave and no longer be a customer but that no matter what they will not ever give you a discount or refund the BS fees that should not have been assessed to your account in the first place. Verizon is over three times as expensive per month but my goodness is it worth it. Not only are the wireless and cellular network services so much faster than any other carrier I have used, but the call center guys are the nicest and most helpful people I've ever had to deal with!

They broke down my issue for me, walked me thru it step by step even though it was uncomplicated and probably would take most people 2 minutes to get they it he stayed on with my for 42 minutes, taking tons of time with me to help me understand and answered all my stupid questions. He then helped me cut down on some services I was paying for which I didn't really want or need, and then set up a payment arrangement and waived the payment fee for me since it was going to add more to my balance owed than how much he had cut off my bill in the first place. I love Verizon and I will never switch again no matter how ridiculously expensive it gets. It's actually worth the money, like for real. :)

Get expert buying tips about Cell Phones delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
      Original review: June 8, 2019

I had been with another carrier for 12 years. The signal was fine at my house in North Carolina but I got practically no signal when I'd travel to Georgia where most of my family lives. I have my elderly father on my cellphone plan and we'd both decided to do away with our landlines and use our cellphones exclusively. I went to my carrier to update the phones and that's when the problems began. First I had to wait for 45 minutes before someone would help me. Then when it came to trading in the phones for new ones, they told me basically they don't give you anything for your old phones. The phones were iPhone 7s phones. My bill was going to be even higher, over $200, and they basically acted like they didn't care if I stayed with them or not. I've never paid a bill late in the entire 12 years I've been with them.

After asking them several times if they could do better I decided to go to the Verizon store across the street. I was greeted at the door by a CSR. They listened to my needs and within 30 mins. I had two new iPhone XR's, an unlimited plan for both, and they credited me for the phones I traded in. Plus, since my dad is a veteran I also got $30 off my monthly bill. I bought these phones during their "Dads and Grads" special so one of the phones was free. The signal is great on both of them and I'm very happy. They set up and activated both phones for me and showed me how to use them. I'm also paying $60 a month less than I did at my old carrier. If I sign up for autopay it will be an additional $10 off the bill. I bought these at the Shelby, NC store and I couldn't have asked for more. They were all very nice and very helpful.

Original review: April 6, 2019

I called Verizon Wireless because, I ported my number on 4/30/19 and now on 4/6/19 my phone was no longer making or accepting calls saying my port didn't go thru. Kierra was my customer service representative, She was Polite and knew exactly how to help me. She called Walmart Family Mobile to assist in the port. The Walmart Family Mobile representative who answered didn't speak English clearly and proceeded to tell me that my number was deactivated and I needed to reactivate my old phone to port the number. Kierra asked him a question about network speed, he was confused, she asked him if he was from the porting department and he replied with no. She asked to please be transferred to the correct department. The porting department answered and Kierra explained the situation and got my number ported over quickly.

I switched to Verizon because I moved to a place where I had NO service at all. I am paying about $30.00 more for service now but, at least when I call for assistance I know that they will be happy to assist me in English so I can fully understand and are going to look out for my best interest. Thank You Verizon Wireless for hiring such a wonderful person such as Kierra. She not only helped me but she prevented Walmart Family Mobile from giving me the runaround and taking my money. Nicole

Original review: March 23, 2019

I had been with a competing wireless carrier for 10 years. I had many issues with that carrier but I stayed with them out of loyalty (my son worked for them). I had trouble getting a signal in my own home and no signal in our little cabin in the woods. Every time I called customer service this carrier promised me that new towers were being built as we spoke. They said in 6 months "you will get a signal with no problem." They told me the same story for years! About six months ago I called once again for the same reason. They have me the spiel of new towers and I got very upset. The customer service agent was short with me and I got more upset. I called right back and talked to a different person who said he would send me a "booster." He took all my information, told me it would be 8 to 10 days to get here. Long story short (ha) it never came and there is no such "booster" that they send to people to get a signal. This company lies consistently.

I finally realized that I had been a fool to stay so long with this other company. I researched my options and chose Verizon to switch to. What a pleasant surprise. After getting my new phone, the Verizon store was eager to help me get set up. The salesperson has called me a few times to be sure I was getting everything I expected from my new phone and carrier. The reception is amazing everywhere. I have not had one issue in three months.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Verizon Home Phone Service?

Original review: Dec. 6, 2019

Do not establish services with Verizon. They are too expensive and when you authorize a payment they take more without your knowledge. When you call they tell you they will refund the unauthorized amount but it will take 7 days. Then when you call back they say they are not refunding it at all. In the meantime you are left with an overdrawn bank account and overdraft fees. If I could give them and their customer service a million zeros I would. Cancelling my service. Dont use verizon. They will screw you.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2019

We Wanted to upgrade my wife's iPhone6 to an iPhone8. We stopped at the Verizon store on Mariner Blvd and Northcliff in Hernando County FL and was greeted by Nick. My wife and I found Nick to be very knowledgeable and quite helpful with our purchase experience. He helped us transfer all of my wife's data and showed her the new features of the phone. If in the future I decide to upgrade my phone I will be sure to see Nick to do that. I will also be sure to recommend Nick to all of our friends and relatives.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2019

Disconnected service despite payments. Over an hour wait time. This place is absolute trash. I was transferred 4 times. 4!!! My total wait time was 1:14 minutes. To get my service connected after I made a payment!!!!

Original review: Dec. 4, 2019

Looong wait before reaching a customer service person who can address my question accurately. Their automated customer service robot can't seem to address specific issues, so instead we wait and wait for someone to pick up the call. If they allow disconnection online, it may help. So frustrated, I almost disconnected all my lines. But of course, to disconnect, you'll have to call their customer service department - which you'll have to wait another 40 min to ask them to do so. If they get it right, at least you won't have to call back. Meanwhile, they boast at being the best.. Wow. During holidays, when it's very busy, perhaps - like every other business, Verizon can hire more "seasonal" employees to help their patrons. Cheap robots just can't do it all.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2019

May 12-purchased BOGO (Mother's Day Special) phones at Verizon. Here was the deal advertised: Verizon is currently offering a BOGO sale on its best mainstream phones, from the iPhone 8 to the Galaxy S9. And the best part is that no trade-in is required. For Apple fans, buy an iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, or iPhone X and get $699 off toward the purchase of a second iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, or iPhone X. Pricier phones like the $999 iPhone X will get a $699 discount, which still amounts to an impressive price cut.

In each case, the discount is provided as a bill credit which covers the cost of the device over the span of 24 months. That means the discount doesn't apply to upfront, one-time purchases. The discount is applicable to new and current users and requires a new line of service. We have been Verizon customers for over 12 years. We purchased 2 IPhone X's. We made it clear that there was just the two of us and a third line was not an option. We were told no problem about the new line we will change the number of one of your existing phones and that will give us the new line.

We agreed on a payment of 115.00 per month. As it turns out Verizon did not honor that agreement, rather initially charged us for 2 new phones plus a third line (our old number), $436.00. We went in to store in late May to let them know we could not afford phones with out BOGO—they said give us some time and we will work it out. After several trips to the Verizon store.we finally got the old line removed. Went online in early June to see if I could work out bill problem (436.00). They said no, I would have to go into store—I did immediately. Once again - We will work it out.

Sent me news my Bill would be only 336.00 a month-went in again offered to give back phones, restated we could not pay this amount. We were told they could get our Bill down to 115.00-we agreed to that. Received Bill for 155.00 called again. I was told they were meeting with District Manager and they would call me back—no call following day I called and they told me the District Manager refused to make any concessions and furthermore we were to late to return phones. Even though we had attempted to do so 3 other times, when it seemed they could not straighten out the problem. Bottom line: we were placed on a plan BOGO that we were not eligible for and told we were.

The two employees in the store admitted that they were wrong to put us on that program however refused to make it right. Many hours on phone and in store has gotten us nowhere. We wondered if they were simply taking advantage of a Senior and Veteran or if the people we dealt with just didn't care. After multiple visits to store and several calls to customer service, it became clear that the store employees and District Manager could care less about working this out with us. So we are no longer with Verizon. Very disappointing.

Verizon Home Phone Service expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Verizon Wireless is a subsidiary of Verizon Communications, which formed in 2000 when Bell Atlantic and GTE merged. Verizon Communications is a publically-traded company with headquarters in Basking Ridge, N.J. It offers cellular phone service through contract plans and unlimited prepaid plans for smartphones and basic phones.

• Features: Verizon’s prepaid plans come with many free features, including caller ID, call waiting, call forward, data alerts and three-way calling. Compatible phones also include voice mail, visual voicemail and mobile hotspot connectivity for free.

• Switch to monthly: Customers can use any phone purchased from Verizon for a prepaid plan if they decide to sign up for a monthly plan. This feature may appeal to those who need temporary service and may wish to return to a monthly, contract plan in the future.

• Canada and Mexico: All of Verizon’s prepaid plans for smartphones include unlimited text messages to mobile phones in Mexico and Canada. Customers can choose to add on minutes to place voice calls to Mexico and Canada or place international calls with a per-minute surcharge.

• Payment options: Customers can pay for service online or from their phone. They can also set up autopay so that their phones remain active. Although customers cannot simply make a payment in a Verizon store, they can purchase a refill card from a Verizon store and use that to refill their phone online.

• Next-day shipping: Customers who order a phone from Verizon to use with a prepaid plan receive free next-day shipping.

• Best for: Verizon is best for temporary users, business owners and budget-conscious customers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs