Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.18/5

Verizon’s home phone service, also called Fios Digital Voice, gives you nationwide coverage on domestic and international calls. Verizon also offers bundling options for phone and internet service as well as unlimited and per-minute plans.

Find a service provider in your area

Compare offers on Find Your Internet

Get Started

Find a service provider in your area

Compare offers on Find Your Internet

Get Started

Verizon Home Phone Service Reviews

Original review: Nov. 29, 2019

Received a notice that my equipment for basic home phone service was being upgraded. After the upgrade, I had electrical equipment in my closet attached to my electricity. And phone service that was dependent on that electricity. The whole purpose for landline was so that if the electricity went off, I would still have phone service. Now that is not true. I have had this phone service for decades and see no improvement since the "upgrade". It is just a matter of time before I have it disconnected. The only reason I hesitate is because I've had landlines all my life and it's hard to let go. But Verizon is making it easier.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2019

Wednesday, landline goes static. Thursday morning dead. Chat online with service, as we do not have cell phones. I advised Them husband just thru triple bypass and hospitalization. Soonest a tech may be available was Friday, 11-3. Well, it’s after 4, no tech. Even though tech directly across the street over an hour ago. Why and where they went, who knows. Thank God we haven’t needed 9-1-1 or other medical care. And that we’ve not taken off work for this joke of a service call. We were with Windstream over a decade and had no troubles...and would be with them but they’ve left the area... We’ve had two Verizon issues in two months. Ridiculous. Trust me, I won’t be recommending Verizon for anything.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2019

Had a complicated question about phone usage in Japan that needed answering by a live person. Called and put on hold for 30 mins. Website chat links don't work on Firefox. Finally got a chat link to work in chrome and they give me a useless "digital assistant" that can't answer my question and put on hold again for 20 mins. Absolutely. Abysmal. Customer. Service.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2019

I called in on Sep 4 2019 to transfer my service to a new address in the same zip code, after a week and the service didn't work I called back and waiting an hour to speak to a representative and she told me there is a mistake on the system and the order wasn't done properly so they need to redo the order. After another week waiting and calling in for hours and hours, no one in customer service was able to help me.

So it a became a part of our daily routine to call in to Verizon and try to solve the issue they created and we still as of today Sep 25 2019 don't have service in our house, and this on a account I have already for 5 years and paying bills every month included this month because they still send us bills for my account. And the problem is they are the sole company who controls the wiring for phone service in NYC.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2019

I was given a new phone by Verizon since I reached the age of 65. I had a small issue because I was not getting mute, disconnected when I spoke to the another. I went to the office on Harlem Ave, so I inquired if I am dissatisfied with the phone for whatever reason, can I get the new phone replaced even with the promotion. The answer, there is a fee of 50.00 dollars to get a new phone replaced even with a promotion. How absurd....

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Verizon Home Phone Service?

Original review: Sept. 6, 2019

After renting my home for twenty-years my current landlord decided to sell the property. So, after finding a new place, I decided to cancel my "My Verizon' telephone landline service. I called them only to get a message saying that my wait-time would be more than a hour. After an hour of elevator music, I decided to hang up and call them the next day. First, I went downtown, with my laptop, to a cafe and logged on to the 'My Verizon' where, after painstaking navigation I finally ended up having to chat with someone named Stan. I told him that I wanted to cancel the service and that I would be home tomorrow morning waiting for Verizon to call. He said that he would 'Leave a note with [Verizon}". The next morning they never called.

So, I again attempted to call them only to have to wait TWO-AND-ONE-HALF-HOURS before a service rep named Fran finally replied. I was able to finally FREE myself from Verizon and am no longer being held hostage by them. Getting Verizon telephone service is quick & easy. Upgrading to or transferring your telephone service is quick & easy. Paying your bill online is quick & easy. But try to cancel service and they will try their best to discourage you from cancelling. I will never praise or recommend ANY VERIZON SERVICE TO ANYONE WHO WALKS THE FACE OF THE EARTH... NEVER ... EVER!!!!

Original review: Aug. 25, 2019

I just want to put it out there....I found it unacceptable to leave an 87yr old woman with no phone service after calling in from someone else's phone for an emergency repair. When the rep came out to the site, the neighbor wouldn't allow him on her backyard property because she was going out, leaving the Verizon customer yet with another worrisome day and praying she wouldn't have to call 911. Shame on you Verizon!

Original review: Aug. 24, 2019

Verizon put me into collections and destroyed my 840 credit score. I am suing them for the maximum amount for damages. Verizon never credited my refund for a failed DSL service installation. It is impossible to reach anyone competent in their organization to get billing issues resolved (their phone system seems to be programmed to hang up on you after 40 minutes of hold time). We need more class action lawsuits to help the meek customer fight back against their unethical business practices. Lawyers, Please Help us!

Original review: Aug. 24, 2019

Customer service is horrible. Never can make simple things for them to be done. It's been 2 months. I can't even switch my payment option from one card to another. Spending my time chatting to robot for an hour and at the end he said: "How can I help you". Lol. Are you kidding me?? Sick! Wasted my time. 2 months ago I finally has opportunity to talk to a live rep and supervisor. Spent 50 min on the phone and today got email that my payment didn't go through. Hahaha. Of course because bunch of idiots never do their job. Now, it's been 2 months and I can't even make a payment because, #1 you can't ever talk to a live person and #2 even if you do you get lied to. Plus, reception is horrible. I'm canceling my service. I had worst experience with Verizon. I regret I wasted so much money with these wolves.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2019

I’ve had AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile and now have Verizon. I switched from T-Mobile to get my kids the gizmo watches and usually everyone raves about Verizon. My experience has been horrible. When I switched I have it in writing that I would be getting a rebate! Nope. They have not honored it. The service/reception is way worse than T-Mobile and it’s more expensive!! So, more expensive and worse! The customer service is horrible! I’ve been flat out lied to. And even though I have things in writing, so far the company doesn’t care.

Check your bills closely, there’s going to be hidden fees etc. I can’t wait till my contract is up and I can leave Verizon. I might leave sooner! How can a rep write my contract and then decline to follow through? The service isn’t better than anyone either. I was actually in the Bahamas with my T-Mobile phone and my traveling buddies each had either Verizon or AT&T. I was the only one that had service, and it was cheaper than both the others. I’d would avoid Verizon and go to T-Mobile or elsewhere. I’ve never been more disappointed in a phone company. I didn’t expect much for the others, but they surpass Verizon.

Verizon Home Phone Service Company Information