Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.18/5

Verizon’s home phone service, also called Fios Digital Voice, gives you nationwide coverage on domestic and international calls. Verizon also offers bundling options for phone and internet service as well as unlimited and per-minute plans.

Shop and compare internet deals

See local offers on Find Your Internet

Shop Now

Shop and compare internet deals

See local offers on Find Your Internet

Shop Now

Verizon Home Phone Service Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Verizon Home Phone Service?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Verizon Home Phone Service?

Original review: Aug. 3, 2020

I was on hold for 38 minutes before trying to speak with someone with a strong Philippines accent but, he couldn't help me; Then, he transferred me to another line where I've now been on hold for over an hour. I've used that time to research Spectrum... No better.

Original review: July 23, 2020

I want to thank Bonnie from Verizon customer service today at 6 pm. She was very calm and professional and I was not. Thank you Bonnie work order **. She got the repair service sent out earlier, because of phone call, doctor's appointments I was going down for the count. Thank you Bonnie again.

Get buying tips about Home Phone Service delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 6, 2020

So can someone help me understand how come a new Verizon customer pays $199 for 4 phones and me, a 30 years customer pays $285 for 3 numbers. It’s not fair to old customers and it makes me wanna go find a new carrier.

Original review: June 29, 2020

Just switched from Tmobile to Verizon, very bad customer service, and they are big cheaters. First when I call I have been told that for me and my wife my bills would be $140. I asked twice and the representative was sure that my bills would be $140 while I was paying $100 with Tmobile, so for us it was not a big deal to pay $40 extra to get a better quality signal. Now and after a few days I'm getting a bills of $272. When I call back I was on hold for 45 minutes and then the representative was explaining to me that their activation fees, that's why the bills are higher. I was not happy with that. Nobody told me that there is an activation fee. I'm feeling now that they screw me, after all this wasting time, I'm now planning going back to T-mobile. Their costumer service is better. If you call they will answer your call right the way, and there is no lie or cheating.

Original review: June 26, 2020

Verizon would not give us a better deal so we switched to Comcast on June 19. Today is the 26 and we still don't have our old phone number. Now Verizon says we cannot have it after it is disconnected. It wasn't disconnected till June 23. It will be a cold day for verizon to ever see us again. We had our old phone number for 25 years. BEWARE.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2020

I had a new account at Verizon the customer service representative told us that it's a flat rate in the entire USA the end of the month I got a bill over 250 dollars and there is no one to talk about it. They are sending me from one to the other.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2020

I would not recommend Verizon as a phone service. Be aware if you use their service you will be charged a full month after you close the account. I don't know how this is legal but they do it. For this reason I will not be a customer of theirs again.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2019

Trying to reach therir corporate office home phone dept but no luck unless I want the runaround with their Philippines office. This is the same office that basically took advantage of my 74 year old dad about a year ago. He lives in upstate NY but was in Florida from Nov 1, 2018-Aug 20, 2019 visiting and getting medical help he needed. He contacted the Philippine office to have the home phone shut off until he got home and if he still needed it he would have it turned back on after he got home. The rep was trying to tell him he could put it on stand by and he said no and he didn't need their service anyway seeing his cell phone was only $30 a month. So why should he keep paying them about $65 a month. Turns out after we brought him home he was still being billed for home phone, even after he told them no in front of 3 of his kids.

I contacted adult protective services about his rights being taking advantage of by Verizon. Seeing they like to play games and I can't reach the main office about this, I'm here as well as filing with the Better Business Bureau for NY and the federal government BBB. Not sure how to do one but if someone gets a petition started I and my whole family will sign it. I can even say that Comcast, Delta airlines, Verizon and Samsung all use the offices in the Philippines. I even had to file Identity theft issues because Verizon cell service and Samsung. If the people in the Philippines get mad at you they share your number and in my case my data and now I get all these calls I never got before. So be careful when dealing with any office in the Philippines and as far as I'm concerned. Any business that deals like this is corrupt. We the people need to band together and help the federal government BBB keep an eye on corruption in all businesses.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2019

Verizon's one Time, charges, add on, additional, taxes, insurance 2 fees, cancellation, running cancel contract fees. This verizon company simply got together all it can benefit from a law book and uses it against customers, and is a parasite living to grow off its customers, fearing people of there will to terminate contract. This is a cellular company screwing you from day one, and like a monkey on your back getting every bit of your money even when you terminate contract. The law has to reevaluate this company's way of running business by applying the law of a different so force of business, and also should reverse back the money it has profit from customers. Every single customer.

Is the law not seeing this parasite of a company. Hurting people of their hard earn money. This cellular business is not a contract from renting a apartment or leasing a house a car. I believe companies like this should shut down and left for dead. How could the government not see this abuse. Class 1a action should be filed against this so call cellular parasite company.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2019

We have been a Verizon Home User for 20+ years. We were hounded to upgrade our underground wiring for our home phone. On 12/19, J Fletcher Creamer & Sons came to our home, cut & pulled new wiring in the wrong area. Subsequently, they ruined & cut thru our cable, internet, & WiFi. The techs knew they made a mistake because I had my son monitoring from inside. When he told them, they said, “Sorry, not our problem, you must call Optimum,”. What an unprofessional way to handle this.

Optimum has a backlog until December 26 & Verizon & J Fletcher Creamer are not willing to help us at all! I curse the day I agreed to let them update things. I am also appalled by the lack of willingness to take responsibility for this big mistake...mistakes happen, it’s their lack of response that has me twisted beyond belief! I would urge anyone to stay away from them & their subcontractor. Imagine to cause such severe damage & just drive off, leaving the homeowner to contend with!!

Verizon Home Phone Service author review by ConsumerAffairs

Verizon, a publically-traded company, was founded in 2000 when Bell Atlantic and GTE merged. The new company provided both local phone service and mobile phone service. Today, Verizon Residential offers home phone, Internet and television service. Customers can receive discounts when they bundle multiple services. Plans will vary depending on whether customers have Verizon’s FiOS or LTE services.

• Fiber optic service: In some markets, customers have access to FiOS, Verizon’s fiber optic phone, television and Internet service. Fiber optic services uses glass wires that transmit data with light, offering higher speeds and more reliability than traditional cables.

• 4G LTE service: Individuals living in areas where Verizon FiOS isn’t available can still subscribe to Verizon’s LTE Internet and home phone service. This service uses an Internet route to place voice calls on the company’s LTE mobile network.

• Extra features: Those with FiOS receive a variety of extra features, including call waiting, call forwarding, caller ID, readable voicemail and more.

• Carryover data: Customers with LTE home phone service will automatically be enrolled in Carryover data, so any unused data at the end of the month is rolled over to the following month. This service is included for free.

• International plans: FiOS customers can choose an international plan that lets customers call over 100 countries for one monthly fee. LTE customers can choose to include service to make calls when they travel to Mexico or Canada.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team