Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.69/5

Verizon’s home phone service, also called Fios Digital Voice, gives you nationwide coverage on domestic and international calls. Verizon also offers bundling options for phone and internet service as well as unlimited and per-minute plans.

Shop and compare internet deals

See local offers on Find Your Internet

Shop Now

Shop and compare internet deals

See local offers on Find Your Internet

Shop Now

Verizon Home Phone Service Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Verizon Home Phone Service?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Verizon Home Phone Service?

Original review: Jan. 12, 2021

My two months of experience with Verizon mobile. They send me an additional $450 bill after I closed the account. My outstanding balance was $207.82. My plan was BYD, so there is not device cost attached with my plan. They deducted an account charge of $450 from my account. I tried three days almost 2 hr search waiting for the call for talking to someone in the billing department. Call gets disconnected each time after a certain period of time waiting. Verizon only interested in adding a new consumer, they give you zero respect after you become their customer. Still trying to get my money back.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2020

I have had an annoying humming noise on my landline off and on for over 2 years. It gets bad enough to where conversing becomes difficult. Verizon has attempted to correct the issue about 12 times in that time frame. The first 4 attempts, did not lead to any noticeable improvement. When a technician has been successful in getting rid of the noise, it has only been temporary. The noise has returned 3 times this month (November 2020) and appears to be aggravated by rain. The issue is outside my house and off my property.

Most recently (November 23rd), I contacted Verizon less than a week after they addressed the noise for the 11th time. I was given an appointment for November 29th, 2020. No Verizon technician showed up on the 29th. Well, that leads me to my next issue with Verizon. Spending over 30 minutes on their Chat Line or Face-Book Messaging to set up an appointment for a technician to come out and address the issue, and not have anyone show up, no courtesy call/text/etc., is very frustrating. This is not the first missed appointment. I guess not only is my phone service unimportant, but my time isn't either. Today, I received a note from Verizon via Face-Book Messaging indicating their records indicate no one showed up yesterday and the agent sending the message wanted me to join a secure chat line to reschedule.

I am tired of dealing with Verizon and if I had an alternative for Land-Line service, I would have switched long ago. I have Verizon Cell Service, but in my rural setting, it is hit or miss. That is another story for another day! Unfortunately, I am stuck with them. I believe they can do a whole lot better in providing good phone and customer service, and I hope this message reaches their management who appear to be well insulated by their customer service reps. who often appear to be reading from scripts and are not empowered to make decisions.

Get buying tips about Home Phone Service delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2020

Verizon makes sure they bill you on time. When I went on their website to look at my plan overview, the website malfunctioned and I could not access it. Customer service is terrible. The online chat is useless. Phone companies are nothing like those of the good old days (Bell Telephone and New York Telephone).

Original review: Nov. 21, 2020

I've been trying to update my pre-paid card information. I was unable to talk with a human. The worst site I've ever dealt with, a communications GIANT you can't communicate with... This is in regards to a landline in a seasonal use only place. I need this phone in case of emergency, no cell service there. My credit card was stolen and I wanted to update the new card. I finally gave up.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2020

I cancelled my Verizon account after six years with them.. I was informed that they renewed my contract without my consent. So now they charged me 965.37 early termination fee - 605.68 for internet and 358.69 for landline... Two Fees for one contract? that I never consent? Someone needs to put a end to their practices...

Original review: Sept. 25, 2020

I upgraded to a smartphone and plan on 11/2016. I choose a cheap phone ($100) and a limited prepaid plan ($35/month). I was charged $55/month as they would not let me pay for the phone. After a year of paying for the phone, I went into the Verizon store (2 hour wait as usual) only to be the charge was accurate without any explanation. I call another year later knowing I paid for the phone twice over. Was told the extra $20 was for "a line."

Today, I was finally told the truth-- they signed me up for a post-pay plan which is $20 more/month. I was told I could not get a refund as they don't have access to my records, it was too late, etc (was transferred multiple times, etc) so I was on the phone 6 HOURS and talked to 5 people -- most incompetent. They sent me a text "account being close get a job." When asked, the store staff said I was not the only person that was cheated like this. NO ONE could give me a name or contact info to escalate my claim. They gave me a $60 credit for the $840 overcharge!

Original review: Sept. 15, 2020

The service department at Verizon in Mr. Nicholas ** was excellent as we made a series of difficult changes which affected 2 households and 1 business and business location. The Verizon products were superb but Mr. **'s assistance was even better for an older and not tech savvy family. He explained everything in detail and all worked as advertised! I dreaded the whole process but we moved 2 homes and 1 business phone to a Verizon system without a hitch. Verizon and Mr. ** made the transition understandable and easy to pursue. If only all businesses could deliver like Mr. ** and Verizon! It is so cool to encounter such competence!!!

Original review: Sept. 15, 2020

My Verizon wifi and phone service hasn't worked for months. I called for repairs 4 times. Service techs have visited and say my problem can't be fixed as it is underground and Verizon isn't ready to really fix it. The company knows I haven't had phone or internet service for months. They still bill me. When I call they say I have to have a repair request active for them to waive the fee. The service techs visit, don't fix anything and apparently close the repair order without notifying me. The customer service people on the phone rush me, are obviously working on a few cases at a time and come back quickly to say thank you for holding without giving time to speak. After 40 minutes on the phone they repeat as if reading a script that I must pay because my service request was closed. If not I will be sent to collections. I haven't had service for months. This company is horrible to deal with.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2020

Yesterday 08/29 about 3pm I tried open business account for my Home Health Agency, in Irvine corporate store, location code w6217-01, and I got written quote for 3 lines and 2 new devices. When he run application, I got approved. When representative tried to activate my account, he got "hold on" message because it’s already 7 PM. Representative told me nicely come today to continue process. When I came today 08/30 1 pm he told me “We need to run application again”. Today system said I can’t be approved for two new devices. I asked to pay $250 security deposit for 2 lines on my own devises. I paid it. When he tried to activate sim cards, system told him it could be done today only tomorrow. I left office 350pm spend $250 no service. Would you consider it acceptable customer service?

Original review: Aug. 3, 2020

I was on hold for 38 minutes before trying to speak with someone with a strong Philippines accent but, he couldn't help me; Then, he transferred me to another line where I've now been on hold for over an hour. I've used that time to research Spectrum... No better.

Verizon Home Phone Service author review by ConsumerAffairs

Verizon, a publically-traded company, was founded in 2000 when Bell Atlantic and GTE merged. The new company provided both local phone service and mobile phone service. Today, Verizon Residential offers home phone, Internet and television service. Customers can receive discounts when they bundle multiple services. Plans will vary depending on whether customers have Verizon’s FiOS or LTE services.

• Fiber optic service: In some markets, customers have access to FiOS, Verizon’s fiber optic phone, television and Internet service. Fiber optic services uses glass wires that transmit data with light, offering higher speeds and more reliability than traditional cables.

• 4G LTE service: Individuals living in areas where Verizon FiOS isn’t available can still subscribe to Verizon’s LTE Internet and home phone service. This service uses an Internet route to place voice calls on the company’s LTE mobile network.

• Extra features: Those with FiOS receive a variety of extra features, including call waiting, call forwarding, caller ID, readable voicemail and more.

• Carryover data: Customers with LTE home phone service will automatically be enrolled in Carryover data, so any unused data at the end of the month is rolled over to the following month. This service is included for free.

• International plans: FiOS customers can choose an international plan that lets customers call over 100 countries for one monthly fee. LTE customers can choose to include service to make calls when they travel to Mexico or Canada.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team