1.18/5
Based on 478 reviews that contain star ratings

797 Verizon Home Phone Service Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 19, 2019

I have been a longstanding Verizon customer (over 10 years). When I purchased a new home in 2013, I transferred my existing phone number to the new house. Verizon during the construction phase prior to my approval. I spent many many hours with customer service to resolve the issue to no avail. I even offered to pay the amount if they would apply it to my current bill. They would not. So I said, "Then I would not pay..." Now 5 years later I am still dealing with the issue.

Original review: March 12, 2019

I was without a landline From Dec. 30, 2018 until Jan. 22, 2019 and again from Feb.3, 2019 to Feb. 5, 2019. This was a major outage in my area due to poor maintenance on underground cables. First I was told that an automatic credit would go thru on my bill when the line was fixed... That is not true. I spoke to associates many times...was told someone would call me back when they had an answer as to why no credit...they never called back.

Late charges were added to my bill and I never had service. I finally cancelled and went with Spectrum. Today March's bill arrives and still no credit. After speaking again with an associate I was told there is an "in house" credit on my bill that does not show on the paper bill sent to me. They told me to pay the 22.00, my bill should be. Why would an in house credit show but not on your bill??? Verizon wanted to wear me down and get so frustrated that I would have paid the 148.00 bill that was in error. They do this on purpose. I was told that in April I would get a bill with a zero balance but I am not holding my breath. I have no respect for this company.

Get expert buying tips about Home Phone Service delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 6, 2019

The technician came to connect my landline phone. He said he needs to drill a hole in my house. First they drill one hole for good now now for the phone. I was against it but he said it will be just a small hole. When I saw it after all a half of the brick is out chipped. Don't trust Verizon company. Worst Customer service ever. I called to make a complaint they couldn't find my info. Rude unprofessional people work for the company. They will damage your property and not take responsibility for it plus we have to pay them for the service provided. Someone should look into Verizon company. They have a total mess in their record and files. I will take them to court.

Original review: March 4, 2019

I was told that I could buy 1 I could get 1 free so of course I fell for it hook, line and sinker, I bought 2 iPhones for my daughters, but when I got the bill, the 2nd 1 was not free. They said that it was only up to a phone of 750 dollars. And now I'm stuck paying for 2 phones. If I would have know all the details I would have never bought 2 phones, I talked to the telephone reps for over an hour and they still would not help me, they sold me a false plan, so please buyers beware of Verizon. What they are selling isn't what you get, it sounds good but it's not, and you will be stuck with them for 2 years until you pay the phone off.

Original review: March 2, 2019

I was having a problem because my tv kept freezing, the diagnosis revealed that the problem was with the signal coming into my house. Two Techs arrived, one was very rude and condescending, I had to speak to him about his behavior. The tech had to change all the wiring from outside because they were faulty, after that was done, the tech changed my coaxial cable claiming that it was old without telling me, as a result of this I was forced to pay a bill of $134 extra. I spent fifty minutes on the phone to no avail explaining that the problem was on the outside and the rude technician only changed one cable in my house so that I would have to pay a huge repair bill. I have been a Verizon customer for more than ten years and this is how I was treated. Customer loyalty means nothing to them. As a result I am switching providers.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Verizon Home Phone Service?

Original review: March 1, 2019

Verizon tooled my iPad plus 4 new iPhones devices when I switch from Sprint as I believe in their 650 switch. In real the $650 goes directly to them and the refund for every devices is as not refunded. I tried for months to get it back without success. All the iPhones they send me as not new but refurbished. Was not functioning so I cancel for breach of contract. Asked them to give me back my devices plus the fund I paid. No... No answer. It was a nightmare. Hours and hours every day of talking from customer services to manager to higher manager without results. I returned to a store all Verizon devices but the manager didn’t know how to do the process. So I decided to call Verizon to help him so he did. The store manager in Route 40 Catonsville Maryland was harsh, rude, disrespectful but I know nothing can be done without staying calm and patient. I stayed for 3 hours being insulted looking as an alien to that store.

At the end the process was final just because the man who called from Verizon told to the store manager step by step how to accept the Verizon devices. What a shame for Verizon to board such disrespectful people and make them as manager!! The following months I called to get back my own 5 devices without succèss. Including all the payment made. No... on the contrary Verizon report on my credit report a false statement which lower my score. I acted immediately to take it off with succèss. In all and all read carefully the fine print before switching to any wireless phone companies. The fight is not over. You have been warned after my dispute Verizon took off the 650 switch. Don’t go not open with them. You’ll be really disappointed as the bill is never the same!

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

Verizon was overcharging my father for years, did not assist him in keeping his lifeline benefits, would not provide me with details when my father passed away or even discuss the issues reasonably. Lied in response to a complaint with Massachusetts Department of Telecommunications, refused to work with me to resolve the bill and maintain needed landline service at the address. I have been embattled with them for 3 months over these issues. They are the ONLY landline phone service provider in Western Massachusetts, and in many places here (such as my home and my father's) cell phones cannot get a signal so landline service is needed. They refuse to provide lists or details on plans or rates and insist the only available plan that covers even local long distance is $90 per month, which is outrageous.

I have been told by Massachusetts Department of Telecommunications there are indeed other plans but I need to ask for them by name, which is impossible when the details and names are unpublished and unknown. They bombarded me with robocalls for my father's bill after he passed away for months, even after being told to stop. They refused to assist me in transferring the service and the number to my name and a more affordable plan. They are absolutely exploiting the monopoly they have in Berkshire county, and Massachusetts is letting them, and we, the consumers, suffer because of this crooked company. This is a horrible company that exploits monopolies in some areas and preys upon the elderly and disadvantaged, and they need to be driven out of business.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

55 year customer with severe medical condition. Have been told repair would be out on Feb 22nd, no show. Then 23rd waited all day 8am to 8pm. No call no show, Feb23rd repair supposed to be out. No show! My heart monitor is not able to connect to the Dr office. Promised 3 days, time for Bell Atlantic I guess.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

Home connect showing unknown name with number on all incoming calls. I do not know who is calling. It has been six months and Verizon cannot correct the problem. Customer Service and the techs do not know what they are doing. I have been with this company for 17 years. All I get is the run-around from this company.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

Needed a landline moved to an apartment next door. It took 16 calls and 268 minutes on the phone. They required $50 service charge for this service, ok but what is my time worth to them? $0. My mother is elderly and unable to take care of things like this. On Friday I was told the transfer could probably be completed by a switch. The person I spoke to couldn't complete the service request because a previous service order was not closed. After being on and off hold for 40 minutes, I asked him to call me back when "Verizon" resolves this issue. He said he would, he leaves at 5:30. I got no call back. I didn't call back till Monday morning at 7:45. I got a confirmation number and the service would be disconnected from the apartment next door and activated in the new apartment Monday. At 8:07 I received a text from Verizon confirming that address change. Still no dial tone.

I spent 3 hours on the phone with various reps and finished the day with tech support (they transferred me to them) and tech support could not help. The supervisor assured me I would get a call the next morning after 10:00 am. I received no call. To minimize this complaint a message on the automated system said it would be complete the following week, ANOTHER 7 days out! This required more phone calls and more time. The service was restored on Wednesday, the technician didn't know how when he showed up late afternoon to fix it. How can ELDERLY people without good representation take care of something like this. Simple, they couldn't. They need landlines for more than just emergencies too! My mom requires it for a pacemaker monitor. TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE!

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

I have not been a Verizon customer for about 10 years. Recently, I was alerted to a problem with my credit report. Apparently someone used my personal information to get Verizon Home (Landline) service last June, and racked up over $1500 in charges (I haven't had a landline in about 6 years). When I called Verizon to try to resolve the issue, I was tossed around to about five representatives, and was repeatedly told I would have to provide physical documentation proving I was who I was, and that I would also have to file a police report (which, given that they gave me very little information about who had opened the account and where, would probably not go well) before they would begin to investigate. No one was willing to accept that this was their error, not mine. I ended up calling Experian, and finally was able to file a dispute, and hope to see it resolved soon. Let's hope.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

I re-upped on my two year agreement with Verizon for FIOS/Internet/Phone. The rep said it would be an extra 3 dollars for the same package except for Showtime. Now I find out that Hallmark Murders and Mysteries is not available as it was prior and that it would cost me $35 more a month for this to be included in the package. Called to complain and they said there was nothing I can do unless I paid an extra 35 + fees + taxes. Told the manager that the rep said ALL would be the same except Showtime. He essentially said too bad and there was nothing they could do. Shame on Verizon for reneging on the agreement. In two years I will be looking for another provider.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

I received two Verizon phone. I have been an AT&T customer only. Shipped them back. Spent hours with fraud department. Thought it was solved. Received a bill today for GET THIS $3,122.06! That is a lot of money for no phones, no service just hassles. I wish the billing department would stay in touch with the fraud department. Verizon has caused me misery and lots of wasted time.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

I am a long time excellent paying Verizon customer with copper wire not fiber optic service. For 25 years, never had a problem with copper wires. In the past 6 months since fiber optic wires have been available in the area, there have been two occasions where my phone has had a problem receiving calls. The first time, I spoke with a Verizon rep and I basically told them I was going to switch to a different phone company. Rep scheduled a technician for two weeks later. But after my switch company comment, miraculously the very next day I had service. The second incident occurred 6 months later. I wasn't getting calls on home phone again. I called them, spoke with three different people all trying to have me install fiber optic wires. I said, no. They told me they would send a technician on the very next Saturday.

Well, I received 3 calls on different days all same reason, to tell me why I should have fiber optic wires not copper. Finally, on day before the technician was supposed to fix my phone, a rep called strong-arming me telling me they no longer fix copper wires and that I needed to switch to fiber optic. I said, I may be switching over to a different phone company. She said, they would send me a notice in the mail and if they don't hear from me within 20 days they are canceling my service.

I do not appreciate the bully tactics by Verizon representatives. Those tactics do not work for me. As a matter of fact, I believe Verizon has compromised my phone lines so I will switch to a fiber optic network. We are in a capitalist system, we made them big (they think they can be rude and obnoxious with their bully tactics). We can bring them down. Keep your phone numbers, complain here and also at the Better Business Bureau and take your business away from them.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

I called Verizon because I received $182 bill from them. I currently only use them for my internet but they said I have to pay for a landline in order to get internet from them. I received my bill today which was for two months because they decided to change my closing date. In reviewing my bill I noticed I was no longer getting my $10 a month discount. I spoke originally with the regular billing department who informed me that they would start giving me the credit in January. I then spoke with Ms. ** in escalations who basically said, “Sorry but your billing closes on December 27th (which they changed not me) and so we will not give you any credit until January’s bill.”

I was never informed my discount was expiring nor about my billing cycle time changing. They said because it’s in the middle of a cycle they can’t give any credits, which should be $20+ including all the unnecessary taxes they charge. On my new bill, they can however, change me additional fees even though their change in closing dates was mid cycle. I basically wasted an hour of my time that I can never get back and got nowhere at all. I was told in so many words too bad there’s nothing we can or will do to accommodate you and I’ve been a customer of theirs for almost 20 years!!!

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

Hi. Verizon refused me for getting service. They said they can't provide service but I have a family member disabled needs service. I would like some help ASAP. Please have someone contact me. ASAP would be ok.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

This is a response to FCC concerning Verizon. I filed a complaint concerning Verizon's attempt to reconnect my phone account without my consent or option to decline via their email as given below. This is about their arbitrary decision to sent these emails that state they will reconnect without my consent nor any option within the email to deny this arbitrary (which should be illegal) and unethical business strategy. Below is my experience in dealing with Verizon's Executive Office personnel who did not offer anything by way of not sending me or others this arbitrary decision to reconnect without consent or "opt out" option. This kind of business practice is getting absurdly emboldened by lack of sanction or official notice to keep this kind of activity from ripping off consumers. Below is my account of this query by a Verizon phone call by a man named Leonard Watson. Thank you.

I was contacted by Leonard ** by Verizon LLC concerning an email from them that stated they were reconnecting a suspended line without my permission. While speaking to Leonard his first statement was "how can I assist you". I spoke to him about why I suspended one account due to overages with a phone that was hardly used. However, the relevant issue, and the reason for my complaint was the fact that they sent me the e-mail is their attempt to reconnect the suspended line without my consent. The email simply stated that they were reconnecting without my permission WITHOUT ANY OPTION TO DECLINE. Notice that the email does give options to reconnect "currently" but not to decline. This should be illegal. I have a copy of the original email and Leonard's "conclusive" write up to the FCC.

Not everyone checks their email routinely and some have several emails because of such volume. Therefore, Verizon has arbitrarily given themselves the right to reconnect within a five day period knowing that many might not check their email. In short, Verizon has gone the way of the many unethical practices that we have seen in the Credit Card Industry. Our conversation was recorded and I urge you to listen to the exchange and Leonard was hostile in speaking over me as I tried to answer the statement he had given that "Verizon can reconnect after 180 days" as I tried to explain that it was within a one month period.

This issue CANNOT AND WILL NOT GO AWAY with mere "appeasements of billing". The issue is the unethical and arbitrary business practices by Verizon and executive office personnel who believe that the issue can be resolved with nothing more that "billing bribery". In addition, I have read many articles concerning the high rate of FCC complaints due to so called "overages". The boldness of their activities and their hostile attempts to intimidate customers is unfortunately nothing new within the past decade or more. Therefore this matter was not resolved on my end. Thank you.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

Someone in our family used 411 directory assistance just ONCE and we got charged $17. What a ripoff. Fios, Verizon! What's up with that!! In the first place we were told that such features are free but are getting charged $17 for one call?? We've tried to find a way to block outgoing calls and don't find a feature to even block outgoing calls. So, we warned our kids to NEVER use directory assistance again!!

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

I did not realize the Verizon was going to delete my over 600 photos from the last 10+ years cause I did not pay them $9.99 month, the idiots. I paid them over $12,000.00 in the last 10+ years and they threw me under the bus as if I was a piece of dog poop, Thanks Verizon for thinking that my pictures of my grandchildren, vacations, family, and all my memories were trash! You are TRASH! And I will never, never forgive you for this! I have switched to AT&T where I will hopefully be treated like a HUMAN and not a piece of feces tossed under the bus to be ran over and over again until I am like a poop tortilla! Shame on you and your greedy ways of doing business!!!

Original review: Sept. 2, 2018

I was a customer for three years. Cancelling my services was an absolute pain. I tried over the phone, but the receptionist couldn't find my account information. I ended up doing via online chat. They kept sending me bills for services I clearly cancelled my services. The manager said that I accepted an offer to continue my services (which never happened). A second conversation that confirmed cancellation according to them never occurred. The amount billed to me for services I canceled is currently on my credit report. It's disputed, but sadly they can do that to people. There are companies that don't require contracts nor contacting them to cancel services, and I suggest you use them if you wish to avoid the headaches.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

Every time I called Customer Service it was more than an hour wait and if you chose the option for someone to call back - THEY DON'T! They give false information to get you started and then won't honor what was promised to begin with. I kept a very detailed log of the calls, times, and who I spoke to and even in speaking with a supervisor and voicing my concerns and asking her to listen to the recorded calls of what was promised to me - she told me they don't have access to do that and that I just have to basically suck it up and pay. I got so upset with the lack of concern that I cancelled the whole service. (After 15 separate calls total.)

Here's the best part. When I received the final bill there was a $55 extra Directory Assistance charge for 20 calls at $2.75 a piece which was 100% inaccurate because the phone I had the line to was a special phone for a dementia patient that only allowed to call my cell phone (not even 911 could be called). I was charged for plan changes because of their mistakes and installation fees which two representatives promised would be waived.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

This company, from my experience and perspective, has very little regard for the concerns, needs, time, stresses, frustrations and service of real customers with real jobs and real families. They simply must not care about individuals and go for the sales and big bucks. If they cared they would be on this forum responding to concerns. But there are other lawful remedies through state attorneys generals, class action lawsuits, state and local regulatory agencies, human rights and EEOC agencies for the elderly and disabled, and of course the local media for the worst cases. This is poor corporate governance. We should all buy one share of stock and get a say.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

I have a down line in my backyard. I cannot call anyone - been on hold for 1.5 hours. Cannot email - there is no email address. Briefly found a live chat - but they referred me to the call line and more hold time. It's unreal - no support. Guess I need to get the snips out and fix the problem myself.

Original review: July 27, 2018

Horrible, my home phone out for 4 days now with no hope of restoration. When you call repair or tech support, you can be on hold for over 2 hours and no one picks up. The only time you can reach repair is after 1:00 am at night. Although that person said my repair is scheduled for today, July 27, I received an email from Verizon saying the repair is scheduled for August 6. This company does not care if people have no home service for more than 2 weeks. The CEO should be in jail.

Original review: July 6, 2018

We upgraded our Verizon Home Phone March 2018. It has continually stopped working. I have to get up and check on it throughout the day. I have contacted Verizon Tech Support and they could not resolve it. I am sooo tired of not know if our home phone works. Since March 2018 I have contacted their Tech Support at least 8 and get little help. They will not allow us to return it because it was over 15 days.

Original review: May 30, 2018

I'm writing this concerning my elderly parents that are not in the best health. My mother has been to Verizon numerous times and even talked to headquarters!!! They have no phone service at all!!! This crap is ridiculous!!! Nobody is doing anything to restore their landline service!!! But yet y'all are still charging her every month!!! For what!?? Somebody better pray and hope nothing happens to them and they can't call 911!!! Her number is **...this is the crappiest phone company!!!

Original review: April 27, 2018

In the last few weeks my voice message box has been filling up with calls from numbers I have blocked and the messages they leave behind. It's gone from virtually zero to almost twenty a day. It wouldn't be all that bad, I suppose, but their clunky, poorly designed software won't even let me clear the list. I have to open and then delete each one individually. Frankly, because it's Verizon, I wouldn't be surprised to learn they designed and sold software that allows these vultures to make their calls ring unlimited times, and then get past my blocked number list and leave a message. To the rogue insurance guys in North Carolina: I will die penniless in a hole in the ground before I even consider one of your policies.

Original review: March 19, 2018

I got a bill with 35, 411 calls at 2.75 each. I have one phone in my entire house (Verizon Residential) and the phone has not be touched in years, the only reason is for the alarm system. When I got my bill I was shocked and called right away stating that you have never seen 411 calls from my house. It’s just me and my 20 year old daughter and we BOTH use cell phones. I was highly upset that my 45.00$ bill went up to 150.00$ from those calls. No one had a solution. I let the rep know to note my account NO Long distance or 411 calls are to be made or I will contact a lawyer to fight this matter. I googled this and there are many other Verizon customers that have had this same experience.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

My VERIZON residential landline bill is about $7. However the total bill is 20.61. Which means that I have to pay 157% just in fees and taxes. This is totally inexplicable. I have spent three hours talking with Verizon representatives and they were unable to correct this. VERIZON argue that are DC and Federal taxes. I have never see that anybody in this country charging 157% in taxes. I will be very grateful if anybody out there can tell me how to raise this issue to DC government and to Federal taxes.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

Since we moved into our house in 1990 we have had phone service via 2 copper landlines (i.e. 2 phone numbers) with Verizon. One main reason we have kept them is because when the power goes out, even for extended periods, the phone lines almost always continue working. On the afternoon of Friday Jan 19, 2018, a salesperson representing Verizon knocked on our door. He was pitching FIOS, but I told him we were keeping our copper landlines, and wished him luck. He kept trying to talk to me as re-entered my house and closed the door.

THE VERY NEXT MORNING, our primary phone line no longer had dial tone. Our second line worked fine. Unfortunately, no one at Verizon was answering a request for repair call on Saturday, So I had to wait until Monday to request repair service. When I finally, after over 20 minutes waiting, got a person to request repair, I was told that they refused to repair my copper service, and I must change over to FIOS to keep my phone service. Our home is now Verizon-free.

Verizon Home Phone Service expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Verizon, a publically-traded company, was founded in 2000 when Bell Atlantic and GTE merged. The new company provided both local phone service and mobile phone service. Today, Verizon Residential offers home phone, Internet and television service. Customers can receive discounts when they bundle multiple services. Plans will vary depending on whether customers have Verizon’s FiOS or LTE services.

• Fiber optic service: In some markets, customers have access to FiOS, Verizon’s fiber optic phone, television and Internet service. Fiber optic services uses glass wires that transmit data with light, offering higher speeds and more reliability than traditional cables.

• 4G LTE service: Individuals living in areas where Verizon FiOS isn’t available can still subscribe to Verizon’s LTE Internet and home phone service. This service uses an Internet route to place voice calls on the company’s LTE mobile network.

• Extra features: Those with FiOS receive a variety of extra features, including call waiting, call forwarding, caller ID, readable voicemail and more.

• Carryover data: Customers with LTE home phone service will automatically be enrolled in Carryover data, so any unused data at the end of the month is rolled over to the following month. This service is included for free.

• International plans: FiOS customers can choose an international plan that lets customers call over 100 countries for one monthly fee. LTE customers can choose to include service to make calls when they travel to Mexico or Canada.

• Best for: Verizon home phone service is best for residential customers and small business owners who want the option to bundle multiple services and/or are interested in fiber optic service.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs