Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.19/5

Verizon’s home phone service, also called Fios Digital Voice, gives you nationwide coverage on domestic and international calls. Verizon also offers bundling options for phone and internet service as well as unlimited and per-minute plans.

Shop and compare internet deals

See local offers on Find Your Internet

Shop Now

Shop and compare internet deals

See local offers on Find Your Internet

Shop Now

Verizon Home Phone Service Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Verizon Home Phone Service?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Verizon Home Phone Service?

Original review: Oct. 10, 2020

I cancelled my Verizon account after six years with them.. I was informed that they renewed my contract without my consent. So now they charged me 965.37 early termination fee - 605.68 for internet and 358.69 for landline... Two Fees for one contract ? that I never consent? Someone needs to put a end to their practices...

Original review: Sept. 25, 2020

I upgraded to a smartphone and plan on 11/2016. I choose a cheap phone ($100) and a limited prepaid plan ($35/month). I was charged $55/month as they would not let me pay for the phone. After a year of paying for the phone, I went into the Verizon store (2 hour wait as usual) only to be the charge was accurate without any explanation. I call another year later knowing I paid for the phone twice over. Was told the extra $20 was for "a line."

Today, I was finally told the truth-- they signed me up for a post-pay plan which is $20 more/month. I was told I could not get a refund as they don't have access to my records, it was too late, etc (was transferred multiple times, etc) so I was on the phone 6 HOURS and talked to 5 people -- most incompetent. They sent me a text "account being close get a job." When asked, the store staff said I was not the only person that was cheated like this. NO ONE could give me a name or contact info to escalate my claim. They gave me a $60 credit for the $840 overcharge!

Get buying tips about Home Phone Service delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2020

The service department at Verizon in Mr. Nicholas ** was excellent as we made a series of difficult changes which affected 2 households and 1 business and business location. The Verizon products were superb but Mr. **'s assistance was even better for an older and not tech savvy family. He explained everything in detail and all worked as advertised! I dreaded the whole process but we moved 2 homes and 1 business phone to a Verizon system without a hitch. Verizon and Mr. ** made the transition understandable and easy to pursue. If only all businesses could deliver like Mr. ** and Verizon! It is so cool to encounter such competence!!!

Original review: Sept. 15, 2020

My Verizon wifi and phone service hasn't worked for months. I called for repairs 4 times. Service techs have visited and say my problem can't be fixed as it is underground and Verizon isn't ready to really fix it. The company knows I haven't had phone or internet service for months. They still bill me. When I call they say I have to have a repair request active for them to waive the fee. The service techs visit, don't fix anything and apparently close the repair order without notifying me. The customer service people on the phone rush me, are obviously working on a few cases at a time and come back quickly to say thank you for holding without giving time to speak. After 40 minutes on the phone they repeat as if reading a script that I must pay because my service request was closed. If not I will be sent to collections. I haven't had service for months. This company is horrible to deal with.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2020

Yesterday 08/29 about 3pm I tried open business account for my Home Health Agency, in Irvine corporate store, location code w6217-01, and I got written quote for 3 lines and 2 new devices. When he run application, I got approved. When representative tried to activate my account, he got "hold on" message because it’s already 7 PM. Representative told me nicely come today to continue process. When I came today 08/30 1 pm he told me “We need to run application again”. Today system said I can’t be approved for two new devices. I asked to pay $250 security deposit for 2 lines on my own devises. I paid it. When he tried to activate sim cards, system told him it could be done today only tomorrow. I left office 350pm spend $250 no service. Would you consider it acceptable customer service?

Original review: Aug. 3, 2020

I was on hold for 38 minutes before trying to speak with someone with a strong Philippines accent but, he couldn't help me; Then, he transferred me to another line where I've now been on hold for over an hour. I've used that time to research Spectrum... No better.

Original review: July 23, 2020

I want to thank Bonnie from Verizon customer service today at 6 pm. She was very calm and professional and I was not. Thank you Bonnie work order **. She got the repair service sent out earlier, because of phone call, doctor's appointments I was going down for the count. Thank you Bonnie again.

Original review: July 6, 2020

So can someone help me understand how come a new Verizon customer pays $199 for 4 phones and me, a 30 years customer pays $285 for 3 numbers. It’s not fair to old customers and it makes me wanna go find a new carrier.

Original review: June 29, 2020

Just switched from Tmobile to Verizon, very bad customer service, and they are big cheaters. First when I call I have been told that for me and my wife my bills would be $140. I asked twice and the representative was sure that my bills would be $140 while I was paying $100 with Tmobile, so for us it was not a big deal to pay $40 extra to get a better quality signal. Now and after a few days I'm getting a bills of $272. When I call back I was on hold for 45 minutes and then the representative was explaining to me that their activation fees, that's why the bills are higher. I was not happy with that. Nobody told me that there is an activation fee. I'm feeling now that they screw me, after all this wasting time, I'm now planning going back to T-mobile. Their costumer service is better. If you call they will answer your call right the way, and there is no lie or cheating.

Original review: June 26, 2020

Verizon would not give us a better deal so we switched to Comcast on June 19. Today is the 26 and we still don't have our old phone number. Now Verizon says we cannot have it after it is disconnected. It wasn't disconnected till June 23. It will be a cold day for verizon to ever see us again. We had our old phone number for 25 years. BEWARE.

Verizon Home Phone Service author review by ConsumerAffairs

Verizon, a publically-traded company, was founded in 2000 when Bell Atlantic and GTE merged. The new company provided both local phone service and mobile phone service. Today, Verizon Residential offers home phone, Internet and television service. Customers can receive discounts when they bundle multiple services. Plans will vary depending on whether customers have Verizon’s FiOS or LTE services.

• Fiber optic service: In some markets, customers have access to FiOS, Verizon’s fiber optic phone, television and Internet service. Fiber optic services uses glass wires that transmit data with light, offering higher speeds and more reliability than traditional cables.

• 4G LTE service: Individuals living in areas where Verizon FiOS isn’t available can still subscribe to Verizon’s LTE Internet and home phone service. This service uses an Internet route to place voice calls on the company’s LTE mobile network.

• Extra features: Those with FiOS receive a variety of extra features, including call waiting, call forwarding, caller ID, readable voicemail and more.

• Carryover data: Customers with LTE home phone service will automatically be enrolled in Carryover data, so any unused data at the end of the month is rolled over to the following month. This service is included for free.

• International plans: FiOS customers can choose an international plan that lets customers call over 100 countries for one monthly fee. LTE customers can choose to include service to make calls when they travel to Mexico or Canada.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team