1.19/5
Based on 460 reviews that contain star ratings

779 Verizon Home Phone Service Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

I did not realize the Verizon was going to delete my over 600 photos from the last 10+ years cause I did not pay them $9.99 month, the idiots. I paid them over $12,000.00 in the last 10+ years and they threw me under the bus as if I was a piece of dog poop, Thanks Verizon for thinking that my pictures of my grandchildren, vacations, family, and all my memories were trash! You are TRASH! And I will never, never forgive you for this! I have switched to AT&T where I will hopefully be treated like a HUMAN and not a piece of feces tossed under the bus to be ran over and over again until I am like a poop tortilla! Shame on you and your greedy ways of doing business!!!

Original review: Sept. 2, 2018

I was a customer for three years. Cancelling my services was an absolute pain. I tried over the phone, but the receptionist couldn't find my account information. I ended up doing via online chat. They kept sending me bills for services I clearly cancelled my services. The manager said that I accepted an offer to continue my services (which never happened). A second conversation that confirmed cancellation according to them never occurred. The amount billed to me for services I canceled is currently on my credit report. It's disputed, but sadly they can do that to people. There are companies that don't require contracts nor contacting them to cancel services, and I suggest you use them if you wish to avoid the headaches.

Get expert buying tips about Home Phone Service delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

Every time I called Customer Service it was more than an hour wait and if you chose the option for someone to call back - THEY DON'T! They give false information to get you started and then won't honor what was promised to begin with. I kept a very detailed log of the calls, times, and who I spoke to and even in speaking with a supervisor and voicing my concerns and asking her to listen to the recorded calls of what was promised to me - she told me they don't have access to do that and that I just have to basically suck it up and pay. I got so upset with the lack of concern that I cancelled the whole service. (After 15 separate calls total.)

Here's the best part. When I received the final bill there was a $55 extra Directory Assistance charge for 20 calls at $2.75 a piece which was 100% inaccurate because the phone I had the line to was a special phone for a dementia patient that only allowed to call my cell phone (not even 911 could be called). I was charged for plan changes because of their mistakes and installation fees which two representatives promised would be waived.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

This company, from my experience and perspective, has very little regard for the concerns, needs, time, stresses, frustrations and service of real customers with real jobs and real families. They simply must not care about individuals and go for the sales and big bucks. If they cared they would be on this forum responding to concerns. But there are other lawful remedies through state attorneys generals, class action lawsuits, state and local regulatory agencies, human rights and EEOC agencies for the elderly and disabled, and of course the local media for the worst cases. This is poor corporate governance. We should all buy one share of stock and get a say.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

I have a down line in my backyard. I cannot call anyone - been on hold for 1.5 hours. Cannot email - there is no email address. Briefly found a live chat - but they referred me to the call line and more hold time. It's unreal - no support. Guess I need to get the snips out and fix the problem myself.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Verizon Home Phone Service?

Original review: July 27, 2018

Horrible, my home phone out for 4 days now with no hope of restoration. When you call repair or tech support, you can be on hold for over 2 hours and no one picks up. The only time you can reach repair is after 1:00 am at night. Although that person said my repair is scheduled for today, July 27, I received an email from Verizon saying the repair is scheduled for August 6. This company does not care if people have no home service for more than 2 weeks. The CEO should be in jail.

Original review: July 6, 2018

We upgraded our Verizon Home Phone March 2018. It has continually stopped working. I have to get up and check on it throughout the day. I have contacted Verizon Tech Support and they could not resolve it. I am sooo tired of not know if our home phone works. Since March 2018 I have contacted their Tech Support at least 8 and get little help. They will not allow us to return it because it was over 15 days.

Original review: May 30, 2018

I'm writing this concerning my elderly parents that are not in the best health. My mother has been to Verizon numerous times and even talked to headquarters!!! They have no phone service at all!!! This crap is ridiculous!!! Nobody is doing anything to restore their landline service!!! But yet y'all are still charging her every month!!! For what!?? Somebody better pray and hope nothing happens to them and they can't call 911!!! Her number is **...this is the crappiest phone company!!!

Original review: April 27, 2018

In the last few weeks my voice message box has been filling up with calls from numbers I have blocked and the messages they leave behind. It's gone from virtually zero to almost twenty a day. It wouldn't be all that bad, I suppose, but their clunky, poorly designed software won't even let me clear the list. I have to open and then delete each one individually. Frankly, because it's Verizon, I wouldn't be surprised to learn they designed and sold software that allows these vultures to make their calls ring unlimited times, and then get past my blocked number list and leave a message. To the rogue insurance guys in North Carolina: I will die penniless in a hole in the ground before I even consider one of your policies.

Original review: March 19, 2018

I got a bill with 35, 411 calls at 2.75 each. I have one phone in my entire house (Verizon Residential) and the phone has not be touched in years, the only reason is for the alarm system. When I got my bill I was shocked and called right away stating that you have never seen 411 calls from my house. It’s just me and my 20 year old daughter and we BOTH use cell phones. I was highly upset that my 45.00$ bill went up to 150.00$ from those calls. No one had a solution. I let the rep know to note my account NO Long distance or 411 calls are to be made or I will contact a lawyer to fight this matter. I googled this and there are many other Verizon customers that have had this same experience.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

My VERIZON residential landline bill is about $7. However the total bill is 20.61. Which means that I have to pay 157% just in fees and taxes. This is totally inexplicable. I have spent three hours talking with Verizon representatives and they were unable to correct this. VERIZON argue that are DC and Federal taxes. I have never see that anybody in this country charging 157% in taxes. I will be very grateful if anybody out there can tell me how to raise this issue to DC government and to Federal taxes.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

Since we moved into our house in 1990 we have had phone service via 2 copper landlines (i.e. 2 phone numbers) with Verizon. One main reason we have kept them is because when the power goes out, even for extended periods, the phone lines almost always continue working. On the afternoon of Friday Jan 19, 2018, a salesperson representing Verizon knocked on our door. He was pitching FIOS, but I told him we were keeping our copper landlines, and wished him luck. He kept trying to talk to me as re-entered my house and closed the door.

THE VERY NEXT MORNING, our primary phone line no longer had dial tone. Our second line worked fine. Unfortunately, no one at Verizon was answering a request for repair call on Saturday, So I had to wait until Monday to request repair service. When I finally, after over 20 minutes waiting, got a person to request repair, I was told that they refused to repair my copper service, and I must change over to FIOS to keep my phone service. Our home is now Verizon-free.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2017

Connected a business line and got hit with huge hidden fee - The company told me there was no fees for connection period. A month later I was hit with a 250.00 connection fee. Needless to say it’s on my credit score. Crooks.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

I was first told that my bill is going to be 87 $ to get me into a 2 year agreement contract. Then they send me a bill of 120 $ in 3 months and now if I cancel the services it say I will be charged early termination. I asked them to check the recording and they said they keep their voice recording only for education purpose and for 1 month. My bill has some deductions and additions. How am I as a consumer supposed to know. I just told them how much is my final bill after taxes and they told me 87 $ and now two months later they show all the deductions and tell me that the order was.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

I paid and closed account I no longer needed. This company reported my account as collection account and shows negative on my credit file. This is such an outrage and misuse of information. I am very upset due to the fact I paid this account.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2017

I have been a Verizon telephone customer for 28 years, since the time of Bell Atlantic, but yesterday I cancelled service and closed my account, ending my relationship with the company. To consolidate bills and save money, I had ordered the Triple Play (TV, Phone, and Internet). I was given four different installation dates, no technician ever showed up, and there were no phone calls to inform me when I had been rescheduled. I missed work for nothing, spent hours on the phone (at one point being put on hold for an hour and a half), was shuffled around to various operators, and was told multiple conflicting stories. I'm pretty sure I was lied to on at least one occasion.

The operators are very good at apologizing, but not very good at doing their job. The entire organization seems to be utterly incompetent, and I'm not just basing this on my one experience. Years ago I tried to get DSL and went through a similarly frustrating experience, and I've talked to many others who agree that Verizon treats its customers with disdain. I believe that Verizon has no incentive to provide better service because there are very few choices for us consumers and they know that for every lost customer there will be 50 people who will put up with their nonsense. This will only end if we impact their bottom line, and that will only happen if enough people have the courage to tell them goodbye. I haven't figured out what I'm going to do long term, but for now I'm sticking with satellite TV and cable internet even though I'm paying more, because Verizon doesn't deserve my business.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

I started this order in JULY and I finally received my order in November... I constantly had to call to remind you guys to start my service. My bills were changed multiple times (it is still wrong). You switched my line from Spectrum when it wasn't ready and my business had no telephone service for 2 weeks. Look at the log on the number of times I called. No one knew what was happening. When technicians came in, they always just leave without telling me what was going on or when I will have service. No Follow Ups. Nothing. I lost a lot of business because of no telephone. Worst experience ever.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2017

I was trying to pay a bill for my disabled brother. They were going to shut off his phone and I needed to talk to a representative. I was not able to do so. I had to go to my browser's search engine to find "tricks" to get a representative. When I finally did manage to get through following one of the suggestions made by a non-Verizon person, the person I talked to could not access the Pre-Pay section of Verizon. I have spent over two hours at this and, as of this moment in time, I still have no resolution on this issue.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2017

Losing phone service has been a frequent problem with Verizon, & their repair service is a joke. Three months ago, we were without service several days which turned out to be an inside problem. Last month, we again lost service & waited 4 days to have it restored by a technician scheduled 8am to noon who arrived late afternoon. He said our problem was due to a lightning strike (no other houses on our road were affected). Now, again, we have been without service for 3 days, & it could be 3 more days before a technician comes out. We had to drive up the road to report the outage on our cell phone Sat morning, 9/15/17 (we can't get a signal from home). We were originally told it would be Wed. before they could get out here, but due to a medical urgency, they changed it to Mon. am.

Today, I again called from a neighbor's phone to verify the appt. & was told it was re-scheduled back to Wed. (6 days without service). I talked to a "supervisor" (who was very difficult to understand because of foreign accent) & asked why appt. was changed. The response was "they don't have anyone available Mon." If they obviously had someone available when I first called, why was this not the case when I called back on Sun.? (Note, they don't make service calls on the weekend, so nothing should have changed). I asked to be transferred to whatever department handled complaints & he disconnected my call. I've had it with Verizon. We are now comparing other phone companies that care about their customers!

Original review: Sept. 16, 2017

I received my phone bill yesterday 9/15/17. The total was 75 dollars for a home phone that is suppose to have the basics. I called them and argued with them. They are trying to say I have long distance, caller id which I do not. I lived at my current address for 15 yrs. and never had long distance or caller i.d. The associate would not transfer me to a supervisor and just kept continuing arguing with me. I told him to look at our account for the past 10yrs. to see if any long distance calls were made. He would not. I reported this issue to p.u.c and told them to shut my phone off. This company is so disgusting I can't even stand it. I will never deal with these scumbags again. I was a customer for 35 years and this is what I get.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2017

I had a stroke - I get SSI every month on the 3rd. I know I owe more than $131.93. I paid on 8/3/17. On 8/2/17, I got an email - suspend to my service?? I told them every month I cannot pay anymore! Customer service is the worst!!! Just called them, CS rep was very nasty to me. Told her, "I want to speak to a supervisor," she transferred me to a recording in Spanish?? Is this a joke?? I called them back - another nasty CS rep?? REALLY??? WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU CS REPS??? I AM CALLING MY LAWYER!!

Original review: July 31, 2017

Land line repeatedly loses dial tone or clarity. The static or white noise drowns out any intelligible conversation rendering the phone useless. Verizon is called, a lineman is sent out, further 'inside' work (meaning hardware in the equipment building) is necessary, the phone line is restored, then it rains, and the phone line is inoperable once again. FIOS is constantly pushed as solution. How many service tickets will be issued before the source of the issue is fixed? Phone service is necessary for emergency phone calls due to immediate family member being in a medical facility. Unreliable service is slowing the relay of vital information between patient and caretakers.

Original review: July 7, 2017

Notified Verizon about DSL internet outage on a Saturday morning, it was had been out since the day before but I didn't call until Saturday. I called each day for 6 days, on the sixth day, not only didn't I have internet but also no phone/landline. Each day the story is the same, "We will fix it, we are working on it, it is a central station issue, we will call you back with an update in 10 minutes, or one hour or by end of day". (I never received any calls from them). Going on day 7, I have gone up the chain of Customer Service and around the world, mostly I get stuck in some third world country and they have no idea, they just say the same things. "Someone will call, you are important, we will fix it". Lies, lies and more lies. I think Verizon should just tell me to go to the competition and stop taking my money for their less than adequate service. It would be make me much less frustrated. I would NOT EVER recommend this company. Their Customer Service is a joke.

Original review: June 28, 2017

I bundled my home internet and tv with Verizon. When they canceled dealings with my tv provider I still got charged through Verizon. I got notified through my tv provider that my bill has not been paid and will be turned off if I don't take care of the bill. So in one month not only did I have to pay Verizon for my tv I also had to pay my tv company as well. So where did the money go that I paid Verizon? Well I am so mad I am getting rid of Verizon. I suggest that everyone does before they mess up your bills too.

Original review: June 23, 2017

I posting today, because, I want to show others what happens when you are a perfect customer: 4/12/2017 $69.16 Visa Ends in ** Success. 2/26/2017 $69.16 Visa Ends in **Success. 2/6/2017 $69.16 Visa Ends in ** Success. 1/6/2017 $69.30 Visa Ends in ** Success. These are the last four billing statements from "My Verizon account” notice they are all the same amount, that means they are all on time, I paid my last payment on 04/12/2017, I cancelled services on the 19th... I was subsequently billed for May for 69.30, then June 143.00. Communications later I now have it resolved. This company bills a month in advance, if I pay my bill on 4/12 and it says zero balance, therefore, it would seem logical, that I just paid for April to May.

Verizon, is the worst company I have ever seen, with support, they will lie and conveniently disconnect you when they cant answer a question correctly, they have never hear the word "refund" either. Apparently it’s difficult to convince their reps that you have moved and did discontinue their services, but it’s even harder to convince their computers that you’re done. The 8 communication, involved a total of 7 hours of hold time, two reps telling a billing supervisor will contact me at 6pm EST two nights in a row, no calls!!! A note perfect company and customer relationship for 7 months... Never will I deal with them on any level, I cant believe this company even survives.

Original review: June 9, 2017

I am in disagreement with this company of Verizon, I have a delay in the bill so I made payment arrangements, they connected my suspended service and they told me that I had to make another payment in June 16 and June 30. Today June 9 amaneci with the telephone disconnected. Again, I talked to Linda, she told me that I had to pay $29 to reconnect it, I asked to speak with a supervisor and I talked to Fernando and he said the same thing. I was never informed of a payment of $29 for June 5. Only knew of the settlement of payment that had done previously, are based on a courtesy call that they did to remember the payment. They called **. This number is too old, after this I had two more phone numbers. They do their Work and the customer always has to pay because we are always the wrong ones, we are enriching every day more to the rich.

Original review: June 2, 2017

I have been with Verizon for over 20 years. As a loyal customer I have bought phones and opened and closed phone lines. I have been lied to three times now over the past 7 years. This has happened I believe because Verizon puts pressure on its sales people to sell other services. Each time I was lied to by a paid representative of Verizon in that the object I had just purchased or added was able to be removed with a 30 days notice. I was told that there was no 2 year contract. And yet several months later here comes the service charge on my bill. Before I switch to another company I'd like to see if there are others that would like to file a class action lawsuit against this company for fraudulent practices.

Original review: June 1, 2017

I have had Verizon service for the past month. Since signing on to the TV package bundle with internet and wireless service, I have had the following problems: 1) the TV package that I purchased does not include all the channels I was told I would have. I copied the entire chat that I had with a Verizon rep to verify this. I shared this with Verizon. I've called them 3 times to check on the of a "investigation" into this where they are allegedly trying to validate everything I am saying period no one calls me back. 2) I upgraded my internet speed from 75 Mbps to 100 Mbps. I have lost service on three different occasions for a total of 7 days. Each time I called to get it fixed it is a problem that they fixed on their end and they swear it won't happen again. Each time it happens again and I asked to be compensated for the lost connection time that I paid for I am put on hold and it is never resolved because I can't wait on hold forever.

Original review: May 10, 2017

I called Verizon today to set up a new service. The representative was so rude that I was shocked. He wasn't listening at all, not answering my questions, was trying to sell me the most expensive service. And when I pointed out that on the internet it's cheaper and I would like to get that rate, he got pissed and was really mean to me. Even though I was planning to have Verizon in my new house, I decided to go with another company.

Original review: April 18, 2017

From the days I sign up the one talk business Verizon call it. Everything has goes wrong: Reused cellphones, price was not credit as the says, no rep or store managers will answer your calls. Every call goes to the call centers. Most of the call center Reps are helpful. Over all the worst cell and land line phones experience I ever had. SUCK!!!

Verizon Home Phone Service expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Verizon, a publically-traded company, was founded in 2000 when Bell Atlantic and GTE merged. The new company provided both local phone service and mobile phone service. Today, Verizon Residential offers home phone, Internet and television service. Customers can receive discounts when they bundle multiple services. Plans will vary depending on whether customers have Verizon’s FiOS or LTE services.

• Fiber optic service: In some markets, customers have access to FiOS, Verizon’s fiber optic phone, television and Internet service. Fiber optic services uses glass wires that transmit data with light, offering higher speeds and more reliability than traditional cables.

• 4G LTE service: Individuals living in areas where Verizon FiOS isn’t available can still subscribe to Verizon’s LTE Internet and home phone service. This service uses an Internet route to place voice calls on the company’s LTE mobile network.

• Extra features: Those with FiOS receive a variety of extra features, including call waiting, call forwarding, caller ID, readable voicemail and more.

• Carryover data: Customers with LTE home phone service will automatically be enrolled in Carryover data, so any unused data at the end of the month is rolled over to the following month. This service is included for free.

• International plans: FiOS customers can choose an international plan that lets customers call over 100 countries for one monthly fee. LTE customers can choose to include service to make calls when they travel to Mexico or Canada.

• Best for: Verizon home phone service is best for residential customers and small business owners who want the option to bundle multiple services and/or are interested in fiber optic service.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs