1.13/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

Verizon Home Phone Service

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Sept. 18, 2017

761 Verizon Home Phone Service Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Sept. 18, 2017

Losing phone service has been a frequent problem with Verizon, & their repair service is a joke. Three months ago, we were without service several days which turned out to be an inside problem. Last month, we again lost service & waited 4 days to have it restored by a technician scheduled 8am to noon who arrived late afternoon. He said our problem was due to a lightning strike (no other houses on our road were affected). Now, again, we have been without service for 3 days, & it could be 3 more days before a technician comes out. We had to drive up the road to report the outage on our cell phone Sat morning, 9/15/17 (we can't get a signal from home). We were originally told it would be Wed. before they could get out here, but due to a medical urgency, they changed it to Mon. am.

Today, I again called from a neighbor's phone to verify the appt. & was told it was re-scheduled back to Wed. (6 days without service). I talked to a "supervisor" (who was very difficult to understand because of foreign accent) & asked why appt. was changed. The response was "they don't have anyone available Mon." If they obviously had someone available when I first called, why was this not the case when I called back on Sun.? (Note, they don't make service calls on the weekend, so nothing should have changed). I asked to be transferred to whatever department handled complaints & he disconnected my call. I've had it with Verizon. We are now comparing other phone companies that care about their customers!

Original review: Sept. 16, 2017

I received my phone bill yesterday 9/15/17. The total was 75 dollars for a home phone that is suppose to have the basics. I called them and argued with them. They are trying to say I have long distance, caller id which I do not. I lived at my current address for 15 yrs. and never had long distance or caller i.d. The associate would not transfer me to a supervisor and just kept continuing arguing with me. I told him to look at our account for the past 10yrs. to see if any long distance calls were made. He would not. I reported this issue to p.u.c and told them to shut my phone off. This company is so disgusting I can't even stand it. I will never deal with these scumbags again. I was a customer for 35 years and this is what I get.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Aug. 7, 2017

I had a stroke - I get SSI every month on the 3rd. I know I owe more than $131.93. I paid on 8/3/17. On 8/2/17, I got an email - suspend to my service?? I told them every month I cannot pay anymore! Customer service is the worst!!! Just called them, CS rep was very nasty to me. Told her, "I want to speak to a supervisor," she transferred me to a recording in Spanish?? Is this a joke?? I called them back - another nasty CS rep?? REALLY??? WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU CS REPS??? I AM CALLING MY LAWYER!!

Original review: July 31, 2017

Land line repeatedly loses dial tone or clarity. The static or white noise drowns out any intelligible conversation rendering the phone useless. Verizon is called, a lineman is sent out, further 'inside' work (meaning hardware in the equipment building) is necessary, the phone line is restored, then it rains, and the phone line is inoperable once again. FIOS is constantly pushed as solution. How many service tickets will be issued before the source of the issue is fixed? Phone service is necessary for emergency phone calls due to immediate family member being in a medical facility. Unreliable service is slowing the relay of vital information between patient and caretakers.

Original review: July 7, 2017

Notified Verizon about DSL internet outage on a Saturday morning, it was had been out since the day before but I didn't call until Saturday. I called each day for 6 days, on the sixth day, not only didn't I have internet but also no phone/landline. Each day the story is the same, "We will fix it, we are working on it, it is a central station issue, we will call you back with an update in 10 minutes, or one hour or by end of day". (I never received any calls from them). Going on day 7, I have gone up the chain of Customer Service and around the world, mostly I get stuck in some third world country and they have no idea, they just say the same things. "Someone will call, you are important, we will fix it". Lies, lies and more lies. I think Verizon should just tell me to go to the competition and stop taking my money for their less than adequate service. It would be make me much less frustrated. I would NOT EVER recommend this company. Their Customer Service is a joke.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Verizon Home Phone Service?

Original review: June 28, 2017

I bundled my home internet and tv with Verizon. When they canceled dealings with my tv provider I still got charged through Verizon. I got notified through my tv provider that my bill has not been paid and will be turned off if I don't take care of the bill. So in one month not only did I have to pay Verizon for my tv I also had to pay my tv company as well. So where did the money go that I paid Verizon? Well I am so mad I am getting rid of Verizon. I suggest that everyone does before they mess up your bills too.

Original review: June 23, 2017

I posting today, because, I want to show others what happens when you are a perfect customer: 4/12/2017 $69.16 Visa Ends in ** Success. 2/26/2017 $69.16 Visa Ends in **Success. 2/6/2017 $69.16 Visa Ends in ** Success. 1/6/2017 $69.30 Visa Ends in ** Success. These are the last four billing statements from "My Verizon account” notice they are all the same amount, that means they are all on time, I paid my last payment on 04/12/2017, I cancelled services on the 19th... I was subsequently billed for May for 69.30, then June 143.00. Communications later I now have it resolved. This company bills a month in advance, if I pay my bill on 4/12 and it says zero balance, therefore, it would seem logical, that I just paid for April to May.

Verizon, is the worst company I have ever seen, with support, they will lie and conveniently disconnect you when they cant answer a question correctly, they have never hear the word "refund" either. Apparently it’s difficult to convince their reps that you have moved and did discontinue their services, but it’s even harder to convince their computers that you’re done. The 8 communication, involved a total of 7 hours of hold time, two reps telling a billing supervisor will contact me at 6pm EST two nights in a row, no calls!!! A note perfect company and customer relationship for 7 months... Never will I deal with them on any level, I cant believe this company even survives.

Original review: June 9, 2017

I am in disagreement with this company of Verizon, I have a delay in the bill so I made payment arrangements, they connected my suspended service and they told me that I had to make another payment in June 16 and June 30. Today June 9 amaneci with the telephone disconnected. Again, I talked to Linda, she told me that I had to pay $29 to reconnect it, I asked to speak with a supervisor and I talked to Fernando and he said the same thing. I was never informed of a payment of $29 for June 5. Only knew of the settlement of payment that had done previously, are based on a courtesy call that they did to remember the payment. They called **. This number is too old, after this I had two more phone numbers. They do their Work and the customer always has to pay because we are always the wrong ones, we are enriching every day more to the rich.

Original review: June 2, 2017

I have been with Verizon for over 20 years. As a loyal customer I have bought phones and opened and closed phone lines. I have been lied to three times now over the past 7 years. This has happened I believe because Verizon puts pressure on its sales people to sell other services. Each time I was lied to by a paid representative of Verizon in that the object I had just purchased or added was able to be removed with a 30 days notice. I was told that there was no 2 year contract. And yet several months later here comes the service charge on my bill. Before I switch to another company I'd like to see if there are others that would like to file a class action lawsuit against this company for fraudulent practices.

Original review: June 1, 2017

I have had Verizon service for the past month. Since signing on to the TV package bundle with internet and wireless service, I have had the following problems: 1) the TV package that I purchased does not include all the channels I was told I would have. I copied the entire chat that I had with a Verizon rep to verify this. I shared this with Verizon. I've called them 3 times to check on the of a "investigation" into this where they are allegedly trying to validate everything I am saying period no one calls me back. 2) I upgraded my internet speed from 75 Mbps to 100 Mbps. I have lost service on three different occasions for a total of 7 days. Each time I called to get it fixed it is a problem that they fixed on their end and they swear it won't happen again. Each time it happens again and I asked to be compensated for the lost connection time that I paid for I am put on hold and it is never resolved because I can't wait on hold forever.

Original review: May 10, 2017

I called Verizon today to set up a new service. The representative was so rude that I was shocked. He wasn't listening at all, not answering my questions, was trying to sell me the most expensive service. And when I pointed out that on the internet it's cheaper and I would like to get that rate, he got pissed and was really mean to me. Even though I was planning to have Verizon in my new house, I decided to go with another company.

Original review: April 18, 2017

From the days I sign up the one talk business Verizon call it. Everything has goes wrong: Reused cellphones, price was not credit as the says, no rep or store managers will answer your calls. Every call goes to the call centers. Most of the call center Reps are helpful. Over all the worst cell and land line phones experience I ever had. SUCK!!!

Original review: April 17, 2017

My Verizon service was for internet. The data was not unlimited, Verizon did not offer an unlimited plan in my area. This year Frontier offered an unlimited plan and I signed up with them. I called Verizon to close out my account. I asked what I needed to do. It was the first day of a new cycle. I was told to unplug the device and since no data was used there would not be a charge for the month of March. Mid March I received an email bill for my March. I contacted Verizon and had the same conversation and was told I didn't owe anything again. In April I received a bill in the mail, acknowledging the account was closed and there was a balance due. If I didn't pay, it would be turned over to the credit reporting agencies. My issue where the Verizon's responsibility in providing honest information to customers about their accounts. I don't plan on EVER being a Verizon customer again.

Original review: April 13, 2017

I have been with Verizon for 20+ yrs. Been overall satisfied till my phone, notepad and son's phone, mine won't take a charge. I upgraded notepad died and son's phone water. I still pay for these items. "They are not paid for yet," Rep said but they are useless. Ins wouldn't replace.

Original review: March 17, 2017

Have been receiving a bill (sent to my old address- moved 3 years ago) claiming VLD-Verizon Five Cents Plan. When I call customer service, the automated recording states that my area has been sold to Frontier Communications and to direct any questions to them. Frontier doesn't show me in their system (they didn't purchase our area I'm told). Have had a local long distance provider for over 7 years. Don't want to ruin my credit with these automated bogus charges. Have tried talking to Verizon wireless, no help. The only real help has come from Frontier as they have been getting calls like mine from hundreds of customers that they can't help. Want to get away from Verizon as soon as possible!

Original review: March 7, 2017

Verizon was charging me 45 per month for data on my land line, plus 20 per month, total with taxes 75.99. My landline can't use data. When I contacted them they were rude, and said it's policy, also charges for Facebook I never put on, I'm a senior and live alone. No one has access to my cell phone, I have shut them both off and will never use Verizon again, I feel they need to repay me for 2 years of service, I need to take someone with me. They took advantage of my failing eyesight and lied about what I would be paying. They are the worst, a little advice for the elderly don't use Verizon, thank you.

Original review: March 3, 2017

During the course of relationship I have shared with Verizon, I have experienced major issues pertaining phone service. Most importantly, on three occasions Verizon has terminated my service or a product like "anti-viral security suit" without my consent. All of these things were purposely done in an attempt to force me to pay the higher, going rate. In other words, rather than grandfathering me into a plan indefinitely or for the lifetime of my service with them, I have been forced to accept the higher rate.

These services have no expiration and are continuous. At least, that is in accordance to the terms and conditions of additional product or basic service. Truly, I am shocked that I have stayed loyal to a business that has not valued my business without struggle and strife. Consider alternative companies with better customer service. Shockingly, when they promise you a service at a rate different than what appears on your monthly bill, it is, I believe illegal, dishonest and misrepresentative of the truth. Seriously, I worry most about the elderly and how they be mistreated. Certainly, I know I am not the only one young or mature being battered by the greed of a company that no longer is concerned with the consumer.

Keep in mind, I was by a supervisor "Tina" neither does the president's office handle or accepts incoming calls of escalated complaints, nor do they call out to the consumer with a resolution. However, I know per fact that they once did so, as it was also confirmed by "Tina" that the policy has since changed. Thus proving how little the consumer is now considered in the company's twenty-billion dollar worth this current year.

Lastly, It is worth repeating. If you can consider business with a competitor, please do so. It will be pertinent to your sanity, well being. My respect and opinion for them, the Company, their customer service and various unprofessional business practices is now tarnished. By the way, when a company argues with the customer, especially one who backs facts with evidential truths, is by far without words I can describe. Thank you, good luck America in making better choices.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2017

My mother is in a nursing facility and they only use Verizon. She moved from bed A to bed B and was charged $212.42. The nursing facility said this was unheard of and paid $99.42 to help out. My mother is 99 years old and just wanted to be by a window. Both sides of the room had working phones so why this charge? I have been going back and forth with Verizon for months now and just finally paid off her bill since they were charging late fees. Shame on Verizon for gouging their prices in this situation. I hope the facility will change their phone policy and let us go with another company or I wish I could find a cell phone for someone with a hearing disability - but I won't be using Verizon.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2017

I have not had a dial tone on my phone for about 20 hours or so every day for a couple of weeks. I thought it was because of work being done in the neighborhood, since I would always see the Verizon truck around the block. But last week I decided to ask the technician in the truck. He said that my non working phone didn't have to do with the Verizon truck and told me to call Verizon for a technician to repair my phone. He said my wires were probably crossed. I called the week of January 31 (I believe) when I got a dial tone. I told the Verizon person who answered the phone that I would be away and that the earliest Verizon appointment I could take was February 6. So the person put me down for a technician appointment for February 6 Monday between 8am and noon.

On February 6 in the am I kept checking my phone for a dial tone and finally got one about 10am. I wanted to confirm my appointment with Verizon to make certain a technician would show up. The woman who answered the phone in the Inline Repair Department was very courteous and explained to me that no technician would be at my house February 6 because an appointment had been set up for the previous week. I told her the appointment had been set up for February 6 between 8am and noon, since I had explained to the Verizon clerk that I would be away the previous week. Cheri kindly put me down for a technician appointment for Wednesday February 8 between 8am and noon. Meantime, a friend was very worried about me that she hadn't been able to reach me for weeks, and was just getting a busy signal when she called. Truly a terrible company!

Original review: Feb. 1, 2017

Never, never, never will I attempt to access new, lower cost services at Verizon again. My phone has been non-working for over a month. I have been transferred from department to department, from representative to representative, all of whom profusely apologize and then tell me that they can't help. I must have spent at least 12 hours on the phone attempting to get this issue corrected. They finally scheduled an appointment with a tech to come to my apartment. However, they were unable to confirm the appointment and never showed up. Given the fact that they were calling the computer line, rather than my cell phone (although they'd repeatedly texted me prior to this), this was unsurprising. Verizon has the worst customer service in the known (and possibly unknown) world. I will be switching to any other phone company as soon as Verizon manages to get the line working again possibly – by the time I am dead.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2017

December 23, 2016, a Verizon technician came out to place all of my services on one line; I had two before my sister moved. The technician came out and completed that order. I called Verizon on the same day to have the 2nd line turned off. Everything was turned off? I scheduled service again and on December 30, 2016 another technician came out and fixed the problem (he had to go to a box in the community, down the street from where I live to flip a switch). I called Verizon back and asked that they turn off the 2nd line. The customer service representative told me that my next payment would reflect the changes. When I signed on today to pay my bill, it still showed I had 2 lines and the payment was the same.

I called customer service; the representative told me that I had to pay the bill because the 2nd line was not cut off until 3 days after my bill due date and a credit would be reflected next month! She also told me that if I only paid what was due after she gave me the correct amount, I would be charged a late fee! She was also very rude in relaying this information. This company screwed up and now I have to pay for their screw up! This is ridiculous and frustrating! Verizon charges you in advance of your service for the month. A multi-billion dollar company cannot make adjustments in advance when they charge you in advance? Once I see that they have correctly applied my credits, I am going to switch out all my services (phone, tv, and internet). I feel for those who do not have an option. If you are considering Verizon, don't!

Original review: Jan. 21, 2017

Verizon users who have an unlimited plan for data beware! In early January 2017 I received a letter from Verizon stating that "your current unlimited data plan will no longer be offered". I had until February 16, 2017 to respond to this letter and change my plan or face the possibility of "interruption" of service. Approximately a week after receiving this letter I decide to call Verizon and see what my options were. I decided to go with the 24 GB data plan per month and the representative I talked to quoted me a price. Before I hung-up with this representative I received 3 text messages and e-mails stating (1) Out of data; (2) In Safety Mode; (3) Ran out of data and being charged overages. With 195 GB being used on the old unlimited plan minus 24 GB on the new plan, I owed for 171 GB at $15.00 per GB or $2565.00.

I immediately called Verizon back and talked to a different representative who stated that she switched to the new plan in the middle of a billing cycle and that's why I incurred a high data usage bill. This representative switched me to the 100 GB data plan which still left me owing for 95 GB at $15.00 per GB or $1425.00! If the first representative had told me to wait until the beginning of my next billing cycle to change plans I would not be in this situation today. To date I have received text messages stating that phone service will be disconnected and I have been locked out of my internet account with Verizon. So much for being a valued customer (8 years) and Verizon making this a smooth transition to a new plan.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2017

My remote transfer business line has been without reason disconnected for over 2 months with zero balance owed. I have lost tens of thousands of dollars in sales and not only has Verizon failed to repair after many calls to Verizon and speaking to many service assistance all very rude, insulting and always wasting time asking your needs to say they can't help must transfer. The transfer process bounces back to 5-7 different people all without passion to help or any apologies for the issue. If you ask for supervisor, that's a joke! They all portray that supervisor position rather than actually transferring to a supervisor. I was told there is no explanation why my business line when called says "the number you called is temporary disconnected".

It's not only a huge loss of income (Approx. $50,000 +/- ). But how embarrassing to have many new and steady dedicated clients be informed that your number is turned off for lack of payment (meaning of temporary disconnect). I was promised to have immediately repaired and even received text stating the repair is completed. Well my business line is still disconnected and I am at the point to file a lawsuit for substantial loss of business and revenue. I refuse to make another phone call for assistance as it is totally useless and insulting. Any suggestions? Greatly appreciated.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2017

I have been reading the other reviews and I have the same problem --whenever the weather is cloudy or rainy, my landline phone is impossible to use. There is horrible noise and static. Service is so hard to get --I am fed up paying for phone service that I cannot use! If you get to speak to a Verizon rep they just want to talk me into getting FiOS. Why would I want to try a different service from them when I am so unhappy with my current service?!

Original review: Jan. 11, 2017

Verizon's home phone service costs $59.99/month before taxes and fees. They offer "Unlimited local, regional toll and long distance calling across the U.S. and to Canada and Puerto Rico, Home Voice Mail, Caller ID, Call Waiting, Call Forwarding, [and] 3-Way Calling" with their home phone service. They have no options to remove any of these features to make the service cost less (like TimeWarner's reasonably priced $19.99/month), and I'm pretty sure they have a monopoly in my area. I know they are trying to get me to buy a bundle to "save" on the home phone service.

For example, I can get DirecTV + Home Phone for $54.99/month, effectively making the home phone service cost -$5, but since I can't get satellite at my home because of the treeline this bundle is WORTHLESS to me. I live in the country and I have ZERO other options for internet than dial up. Believe me, I have tried. Verizon's DSL service in my neighborhood is FULL, as I said before I can't do satellite because of the trees, and we don't get cable in our neck of the woods.

I have had Verizon Wireless 30GB plan for over a year that costs $300/month (NOT even joking), but it recently stopped allowing us to connect to the 4G service (I think the coverage changed, YIPPEE). I am a SAHM and I do online school, so my only option, LITERALLY, is to drive 30 miles into the next town EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. To stay at my parents' house for the day and do my school work. I can't go to my local library because I have two small children to watch over as well. Dial up would serve my purposes just fine but it is OVER TWICE THE MONTHLY COST OF DIAL UP just to get a landline at my house. Verizon is EVIL.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2017

This is the most frustrating thing ever!!! Gets harder every time to sign in. Either it won't accept my security question answer or my security code. I hate it!! All I wanted to do is add time!!! What the f? Are we criminals just because we want to add time without using the phone? If using the phone it talk many long min of babble just to get it done so I try to go to my account to add it and that is even worse!!! What do I have to do get a new phone provider to make it more simple???

Original review: Jan. 8, 2017

I am writing this complaint because as of right now I have been on hold for customer service 2 hrs & 15 min. And still no one has answered. That is ridiculous. This is the longest I have ever been on hold with any customer service company that I had to call. What is the problem? How can you do this to your customers? I am seriously thinking of going back to optimum based on their good customer service alone. I hope Consumer Affairs will do something about this. Ok make that now 2 & 1/2 hrs. If you notice also I am giving C.S. "0" rating.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2016

Verizon Has been over billing me for the past months. Since I got out the contract with them all my bills have been tripling with them. If there is anyone or more than one person who has been getting the same thing let all come together. They just took out money off my bank account more than once in one week. On 12/22/16 I paid them. Then again money was taking out on 12/14/16.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2016

I was a long-time customer with Verizon until I could no longer afford their ever-increasing fees for service. After my service was terminated with Verizon, I entered into service with a different provider. Verizon later reactivated my service without my knowledge nor my consent. Then they had the audacity to charge me for service I did not need nor request. The disputed amount is less than $100 but I refuse to pay for services I did not receive. Verizon insists these charges are legitimate despite documentation I have outlining the timeline for events. So Verizon has listed my account as "delinquent" on the major credit reporting agencies in order to bully me into paying that which I am not responsible. As a $131.6 billion dollar corporation they feel the need to take advantage of a former (good) customer. If you have a choice, please do not do business with Verizon. Thanks for reading.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2016

On 11/20/2016 I called Verizon, in order to drop the landline off of my account. I have an account with landline, internet and TV. The first representative, Gary took my information, told me there was no problem. He said the new service would be $128.95, but I may get a better deal if I signed a new contract, and put me on hold about five times from 5:37 until 6:23. We were then disconnected?? I called back at 6:26 and spoke with Jeff for 22 minutes. He said he could drop the T.V. and my rate would go to $112.25. I told him that was fine and we said ok.

Jeff sent an email confirmation. When I checked the confirmation, I noticed a difference in the T.V. package from a Prime HD to Local. I called back again at 7:03 and spent another 46 minutes on the cell phone with Chester. Chester said he could restore my T.V. to Prime HD for another $30.00 on top of the $112.25. I asked for a supervisor and never got one. I truly believe that they are incapable, and unwilling to do any kind of conflict mediation. Tired of being jerked around by utility companies.

Verizon Home Phone Service expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Verizon, a publically-traded company, was founded in 2000 when Bell Atlantic and GTE merged. The new company provided both local phone service and mobile phone service. Today, Verizon Residential offers home phone, Internet and television service. Customers can receive discounts when they bundle multiple services. Plans will vary depending on whether customers have Verizon’s FiOS or LTE services.

• Fiber optic service: In some markets, customers have access to FiOS, Verizon’s fiber optic phone, television and Internet service. Fiber optic services uses glass wires that transmit data with light, offering higher speeds and more reliability than traditional cables.
    • 4G LTE service: Individuals living in areas where Verizon FiOS isn’t available can still subscribe to Verizon’s LTE Internet and home phone service. This service uses an Internet route to place voice calls on the company’s LTE mobile network.
    • Extra features: Those with FiOS receive a variety of extra features, including call waiting, call forwarding, caller ID, readable voicemail and more.
    • Carryover data: Customers with LTE home phone service will automatically be enrolled in Carryover data, so any unused data at the end of the month is rolled over to the following month. This service is included for free.
    • International plans: FiOS customers can choose an international plan that lets customers call over 100 countries for one monthly fee. LTE customers can choose to include service to make calls when they travel to Mexico or Canada.
    • Best for: Verizon home phone service is best for residential customers and small business owners who want the option to bundle multiple services and/or are interested in fiber optic service.
    Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs