TracFone Wireless

Tracfone

3.3/5 (434 ratings)

About Tracfone

TracFone Wireless is a budget-friendly cell phone service provider that lets customers keep their own phones, customize their plans and enjoy the flexibility of a prepaid plan. Customers never have to sign a long-term contract and can carry unused minutes, text and data over to the next month. TracFone offers simple, transparent plans that don’t include overage charges or hidden fees.

Pros

• Customers can keep their phones
  • Multiple plans available
  • Low monthly rates

Cons

• Not compatible with all phones
  • Slower data speeds

Bottom Line

TracFone is a budget-friendly cell phone service provider with customizable cell phone plans and no long-term contracts. It offers nationwide coverage and no hidden fees.

Top TracFone Wireless Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I am not a person like you see walking down the road staring at my cell phone. I use a cell phone very little so I don't need one of those $1000 cell phones. I have been using Tra...

Verified

What is TracFone Wireless?

TracFone is a nationwide prepaid cell phone service. It lets customers keep their existing phones and numbers. Customers in the market for a new phone can browse the large inventory of name-brand phones, including LG, Samsung, Motorola and Apple. TracFone phones can be purchased at a discounted rate, and shipping is free.

Some plans can be set to refill automatically, while others require manual refills online or at a TracFone location. Customers can add extra features to their plans, such as global calling or additional minutes, text and data.

Other features that can be added to a basic plan include lost and stolen phone coverage and mobile protection. These services act as insurance in case your phone is lost, stolen or damaged.

TracFone offers a wide selection of name brand phones, many of which are great for kids and seniors.

TracFone Wireless plans

TracFone Wireless offers a variety of plans at different price points. Some of the most popular plans are:

Length of planMinutes/textDataMonthly price*
30 daysUnlimited3 GB$30
30 daysUnlimited2 GB$25
365 days1500/15001.5 GB$125
60 days750/10001.0 GB$35
30 days500/500500 MB$15

*At the time of publishing

Many plans are $5 to $10 cheaper than the listed price when you sign up for auto-refill. If you want to add global calling or more minutes and texts, you can purchase add-ons. TracFone Wireless also offers student discounts.

TracFone Wireless has plans for smartphones and basic phones and plans designed for people who talk and text more than they browse the internet or stream music. Basic phone plans range from $10 to $100 a month, and smartphone plans range from $15 to $125.

Customers can use their compatible phones with TracFone Wireless or purchase one through the company. Customers can purchase basic flip phones for $20, older Galaxy phones for $30 and iPhone 7s for $240 along with many other phone options at different price points.

How much does a one-year TracFone card cost?

The one-year smartphone plan costs $125 at the time of publishing. This is a one-time purchase that covers your wireless service for 365 days. The auto-refill price is $118 at the time of publishing. With this plan you receive:

• 1500 minutes
  • 1500 texts
  • 1.5 GB of data at 4G LTE Speed
  • No contracts

Customers can purchase refill cards at Walmart and Target, over the phone or at one of the 70,000 TracFone locations nationwide.

TracFone Wireless FAQ

What network is TracFone?
TracFone Wireless uses a mobile virtual network operator that includes Verizon Wireless, AT&T Mobility, T-Mobile US, Sprint Corporation and U.S. Cellular.
Is there an unlimited plan for TracFone?
Yes. The StraightTalk service offers 30 MB of data and unlimited calls and texts for $45 per month.
Does TracFone Wireless charge for Wi-Fi?
No. As long as your phone is active and has Wi-Fi capabilities, there is no charge.
What is TracFone Wireless compatible with?
TracFone Wireless will work on GSM Unlocked phones, AT&T-compatible phones, T-Mobile-compatible phones, Verizon-compatible phones and some CDMA Technology-compatible phones.
What is TracFone’s coverage area?
TracFone has extensive coverage on the East Coast of the county and central states, with less coverage in the mountain states and on the West Coast.

Is TracFone legit?

Yes. TracFone Wireless is a trusted and reliable cell phone provider that lets people stay connected without signing long-term contracts. Its affordable monthly plans offer basic features and are ideal for those who do not use their phones all the time.

TracFone Wireless Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TracFone Wireless?

Original review: Sept. 30, 2021

This is a reseller of AT&T service so it's very good service. BUT... When you switch or update your cell phone you start over. They say they carry over your minutes but it NEVER works out that way. Your data resets to ZERO. So you have to start over and if you have bought a yearly plan then you just have to buy it again. But it still is the cheapest yearly plan I have found.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2021

I like this company because I can pay as I go and what I do not use it gets rolled over for the next time. I do not have drop calls or any kind of issues with that. The other thing is they will notify you when it is time to renew.

Get buying tips about Prepaid Phones delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2021

This phone is much less expensive than the big names, but it has all the features that I need/want. It takes nice pix and it is generally easy to operate. I use the speaker feature regularly to make the sound loud enough that I can hold the phone away from my ears. I use the flashlight when I move from the living room to the bedroom at the end of day. I like this LG phone and would recommend it.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2021

I love TracFone Wireless. I pay $30 for 3 months of service. The TracFones I usually purchase costs less than $75 and lasts about 3 yrs. The voice and connectivity coverage is great locally and nationally and I don't call internationally so I don't know about that. I get enough talk/text to last more than 3 months. The internet and camera functions are pretty good and voice calls sound is great. This is "the David communication" in a land of Goliaths. Great deal.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2021

I like having a person to talk to with any service needs. Very helpful. Great service. Reasonable. NO CONTRACT. Always complete resolution of issue when service required. I have never had dropped calls or loss of service. I chuckle when I hear of the multiple problems others have and their complaints about poor service from nationwide big carriers.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2021

We have had TracFone for years. Now they said we had to go to 4G and we had to buy another phone because 1 of the three we have is a flip phone. Now all are phone are having problems and one doesn't work at home when it always did before. All our phone are having battery problems now.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2021

Beware of TracFone. I'd give a zero star if that was an option. I cannot believe they are still in business. Whatever you do, DO NOT give them your credit card. I made the unfortunate attempt to try this service but when I could not transfer over my phone number, did not complete the purchase. Unfortunately, I had already entered my credit card in their system and started receiving charges on my credit card since then. Nine months later and many calls, they continue to change my card for services they agree have never been incurred. They credit my card each time I call and assure me they will no longer charge my card.

I've spent HOURS on the phone, being transferred, often disconnected, with unresolved results in them discontinuing their erroneous charges to my card. This is clearly not a good use of my time or theirs. The last time, even their own manager told me I would have to have my credit card company block their future charges - she had no resolution for stopping their recurring charges for services never provided from her company.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2021

I purchase thousands of minutes and years of service from TracFone: only to get notification from them now my phone will no longer work. I am informed I will have to purchase a new phone in order to continue service. I happen to believe TracFone has an obligation to provide the service I paid for. If that means they have to give me a new phone to do so, well I guess they better send me a new phone. I think it's bad enough I have to go through all the trouble of moving all my stuff over to the new phone. I don't need or want a new phone, however it seems I am not given a choice in the matter. To top it off I am expected to pay for it and buy a new service plan. What a rip-off! TracFone, get your act together!

Original review: Sept. 24, 2021

I ordered a phone on 9/13/21, Received E-Mail it shipped 9/14/21 via FED EX. I waited 3 days for delivery and tried to track my pkg. to no avail. I spoke to 8 different people and got all different answers. USPS was now delivering the pkg. Spoke with mailman who reassured me this is not a tracking # for them. Called Customer service and this time it is UPS who has the pkg. Went onto UPS Website and was able to track pkg. and was made aware the address was not all provided and they had returned my pkg. I was told to contact TracFone.

Spoke with so many different people who did not help me and told me that my account would be credited when they receive the phone. As I explained to them numerously I wanted this phone and please correct the address they hung up on me. So now I have roughly 15 hours of talk time into this matter and have spoken to numerous people around the world hearing roosters and children in the background and still it is not resolved. I have been with them for 20 years and had minor problems but this is a consumer nightmare. BEWARE of TRACFONE.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2021

TRACFONE REVIEW. They tried to play me for a fool. They have lied to me constantly. They have become unreliable. They have stolen my data without reason. No more promo's or birthday promo's. I never had to call them before, but then it became constant. Reliable KEVA **, has become unreliable KEVA **. Does not answer her emails, does not return calls. I remember Keva from my first tracfone almost 20 yrs ago; CDMA. She was always on point. That Keva is dead. Tracfone has become an unreliable, tired old man. When tracfone was a vibrant youth, it was great and nothing but love. I left and even returned with delight. Now... STAY AWAY! STAY AWAY! Stay away from all tracfone products. DO NOT PATRON!

TracFone Wireless Company Information