3.17/5

Get matched with the right prepaid phone service

Miami, FL

Get matched with the right prepaid phone service

Straight Talk Wireless Reviews

Original review: Sept. 24, 2019

Update on 11/7/2019: Today 7 November 2019, changed phone service from sprint back to Straight Talk. On the landline for 1½ hours with Ivy. She had the patience of...she just had the patience to put up with me. We did have a good time. I tried to change service by myself and that did not work. So I called customer service and was put through to Ivy. For the next 1½ hours she worked with me to get the service changed to Straight Talk. She worked with the Sprint SIM card and got me all set up and I kept my same phone. I believe using with SIM card did have to reboot the phone and start all over. Understand, because I don't live on the phone. I can reload all my data and phone numbers and I'm okay with that and I'm still using the Sprint SIM card, so I'm returning the "Keep your own phone, SIM activation kit" to Walmart...never had to open. Paid up online, good to go.

Sometimes customer service is really amazing. So if you are going to change service to Straight Talk and talk to a live person, in customer service, be very patient, understanding and nice and ask to have them say something over, they will and be nice about it. Please understand I know to be patient and understand getting something done can take time, but the end result is what counts and I'M BACK TO STRAIGHT TALK. So have a nice day.

Original Review: I have been reading reviews of Sprint and Cricket and Straight Talk. I agree with everybody about your services, good or bad. But I will say had Straight Talk from March 2015 and for me the service was great. Just saying. Service, phone no problem. Never had a drop call. Signal was always strong. Phone worked in my basement. Changed phones 2 times, fast and easy and kept my number. Okay called one time and that was when I was making my first phone change. I don't what to say, but the customer service was cooperative, friendly and fixed my screw up trying to change phone. You don't have to believe a word I'm saying, but I'm sitting at my computer and really can't bad mouth Straight Talk for anything. So if you try Straight Talk, may the force be with you.

Because my wife pays for my phone service, I don't question her judgment. Now the bad news, she switch us to, wait for it, Sprint. Sprint no signal, very poor signal, hard to understand people if the call gets through. No or low bars. Put on the wrong plan and did not figure that out until later. Wife and I agree now, Sprint is, bad for us, may be great for other people. My wife wants to try Cricket, I'm going to see if I can get her to go back to Straight Talk. Oh well, have a nice day and I hope everybody finds the best and right phone service.

Original review: March 8, 2019

I've had this service for my mother for about 5 years and the price is great! I just got my landline a little bit ago and the price is great. No complaint yet. I am worried about their cell phone service. I would not pay that price for cell phone coverage. Anyway good landline service. You're kind screw if electricity goes out though.

Get expert buying tips about Prepaid Phones delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

Straight Talk served my purpose at the time. I always used it when I traveled. Clarity was fine. There was time when it was hard to hear. The help lines were foreign which was hard to understand. When I paid I set up automatic payments so I would not forget.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2019

I have been with Straight Talk cellular for 5+ years. Using phone to go overseas in a few weeks. Need phone unlocked to be able to insert SIMS card upon arrival to Europe. Straight Talk refuses to unlock the phone. Says I have to buy a new phone that is already unlocked because they refuse to unlock mine. I asked 4 different people why I should stay with their company if I have to buy a new phone. Not a one could tell me. If this is the thanks I get after 5+ years of service and they can't even tell me why I should stay with their company I'm moving on to a new carrier. Thank you for nothing Straight Talk.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2019

I've been a Straight Talk user for over 5 years. In the last few years I started having major technical issues. My pictures wouldn't send or receive, I couldn't make phone calls. I've spent hours upon hours on the phone with support I can barely understand who barely understand me. I just called because I was promised a credit. I specifically asked for it to be noted.

I COULDN'T send pictures, messages almost the whole month. She told me I HAD to wait until I got a new card. Fine. I did that. Now I'm being told it wasn't noted on my account. So while they see my MULTIPLE CALLS and understand the pointless hours I spent with technical support trying to fix an issue that wasn't mine because it fixed itself. They won't even issue a credit that was promised because it isn't noted on the account. Nor would the manager correct this fault and issue a credit. Looks like I'm stuck with them for another month because I was told to add more time and call back when I had my new phone card. Scam artists!!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Straight Talk Wireless?

Original review: Nov. 9, 2019

Ok so I paid my pre paid amount by debit for 1 payment. Sat pending in my bank account. Next day there was another payment pending so now there was 2 payments pending for Straight Talk. I called straight talk and told them they said they are showing 1 payment. I said, "Well there is 2 payments coming out." So I called the bank which every time I call I get the Philippines so of course I can’t understand straight talk people or the bank people. So ok 1 payment drops off the bank and the bank gave me the credit for the payment that needs to be applied to my phone.

Now almost 2 weeks later straight talk shuts down my phone and locks it so I can’t even go to another provider because they told me I have to purchase a new SIM card, have the bank pay them or pay money order. And even then will it be a week till my phone is on again. Since this has happened I have no access to my work schedule. Can’t even stay in touch with my daughter if something should happen. Stay away. They both screwed up and I GET PUNISHED FOR THEIR MISTAKES!!!! Not only that they are charging me the full amount and only being able to Partly use all of the services for the month!!! BIG RIP OFF!!! STAY AWAY. IT'S CHEAP AND THAT'S THE SERVICE YOU GET FOR GOING. CHEAP. It’s also the bank's fault for crediting me instead of paying the bill!!!! When you call straight talk you will always get people you can't understand!!! And vise versa they don’t understand us either!!!

Original review: Nov. 9, 2019

Terrible service. Cannot understand service reps. Data constantly in and out. I have to constantly refresh every page I look up. The reward points are a joke. I never got the amount they showed I had. I've been with Cricket, Verizon, ATT, and Straight Talk. I would rather have a wire with a cc tin can at each end than subscribe to Straight Talk.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2019

So my story is just nothing short of awful. Every time I talked to a representative I couldn't understand what they were saying. That's just the beginning. They would talk and I would just say ah huh. Yep. Ah huh. Knowing good n' well I had no idea what they just said. If that wasn't bad enough I literally had to say "what was that" at least a dozen times per call. I found it strange that they don't speak good English, they mumble and they don't talk loud enough. Can you imagine how bad? The first time I called I got a women that intentionally put in all my setup contact information incorrectly on purpose. I figured that out after the call was over. Yeah real helpful.. What a joke. She was very sly about being rude and seemed to hate her job/life.

I spent a good 30 to 45 minutes waiting on her to do all this stuff to set up my phone. When it came time for her to wait on me to setup my phone initially, it took like 10 minutes. She proceeded to get antsy and kept telling me to just skip this and skip that and, "Are you still there?" I'm trying my best to be quick Knowing that she was waiting. At the end she was mumbling on and talking about how to do things that were not even close to helping anymore. I'd say ah huh. She did everything wrong on purpose just because she was having a bad day. That was the first call.

I called again 1 day later and got some Arab names Nichols. He was worse than the first representative. Can you imagine what I'm about to tell you next? It's nothing less than ignorant. First off I spent 50 minutes on the phone with this guy and none of those seconds or minutes were productive or helpful. I started to become irritated with their lack of knowledge they had about my problem. It seemed like they were acting dumb on purpose. I could not stand and it anymore. He told me to call them three days later with my ticket number. Three days? I told all my friends about this one.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2019

I was nervous to leave T-Mobile after 15 years of service with them, but I was pleasantly surprised to find Straight Talk much more cost effective and just as reliable. My only complaint is their customer service. I was on the phone for an hour, speaking with 3 different people, before someone REALLY listened and tried to resolve my concerns. The first representative was nice enough, acted like he was reviewing my account, never asked for any information that he would've needed to resolve my concerns, kept me on the phone for 15 minutes, and told me he resolved my problem...in reality, he did NOTHING.

The second representative was abrupt, even rude, and told me it was not possible to do what I was asking (there was a second phone number listed on my account that has NEVER been my phone number, and she told me I'd been paying to use the second number, even though I only have ONE device...but she refused to remove the number, even though she informed me that payments were being made on the number from my credit card). I finally spoke to customer service, and she was thankfully able to remove the number from my account. She told me that any charges made on that number would have to be disputed through my bank, because Straight Talk doesn't issue refunds or even credit accounts. If you don't mind spending an hour of your time trying to resolve concerns, and don't mind talking to representatives who are clearly outsourced, the service and price are GREAT!

Original review: Oct. 29, 2019

I used rewards points two times I didn't receive the data I purchased. They insisted that I received the data and must have used it. I explained that the math didn't add up. It was that simple. Instead of just giving me my add on data, they lost a customer.

Straight Talk Wireless expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Straight Talk is a provider for TracFone, a subsidiary of América Móvil. The company has offered no-contract wireless phones since 2009. They currently have several unlimited plan options.

• Plan options: Straight Talk offers several plans from which customers can choose. The company offers several monthly plans with varying amounts of data as well as a six-month and a one-year plan. Parents might wish to purchase the longer term plans for teens or college students.

• Customer service: Customers with questions or problems can reach a customer service representative 24/7. Customers can receive help by phone or basic answers by texting HELP to 611611.

• Other services: In addition to cell phone service, Straight Talk offers wireless plans for tablets and home phone service. Consumers can also sign up to use their phone as a mobile hotspot.

• Included features: All Straight Talk plans come with call waiting, voice mail, caller ID, and call waiting. These features are free and available on most devices.

• Blog: Consumers interested in learning more about prepaid and no-contract cell phones can visit the Straight Talk Blog. They can also follow the company on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

• Best for: Straight Talk is best for parents, business owners and budget-conscious consumers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs