Miami, FL

Learn More
Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.12/5

Straight Talk Wireless is a phone retailer and network provider with coverage across the United States. Service plans start at around $30 per month. Customers don’t have to sign a contract to get a 30-day unlimited talk and text plan. Select from new or refurbished smartphones and devices. Devices and plans are available online and at Walmart stores.

Straight Talk Wireless Reviews

Original review: March 31, 2020

Straight Talk has always been known as a cheaper version of Verizon. Same towers, lower price. What turns people away from them is setting up for the first time. You need a SIM specific to whatever carrier you have, and they're automated system never works. So you have to call, wait to talk (or chat rather), they work their magic to convert it to a straight talk phone, and the entire process just seems sloppy. Often there are data issues and you must constantly configure your data, especially with their new "25 GB unlimited data" plan, which I believe should be investigated. Not one time did I feel that my data was high speed. I believe those are false claims, and they really only give you medium speed, a lot of times low speed data. All and all they're better than Verizon, because Verizon has practiced some incredibly shady business practices at my local Verizon in Crossville TN.

Original review: March 30, 2020

July 2012 my contract expired with Sprint as well as my husband's contract with Verizon. Between the 2 of us at that time we were paying $254 some change. When I decided to go with Straight Talk it was $45. I had unlimited talk and text. Then they added data and my bill is now since 2012 $48.25 I have auto withdraw the 1st of every month. I can go on a condo. I do design. I can be on an elevator. I can be on the beach. I can be in a house with copper piping. I have never had a dropped call and you would not believe the clarity of the service and never do I have a problem paying or shortages. My husband has also switched to Straight Talk. His bill is $50 a month and we have unlimited everything you could want.

Get buying tips about Prepaid Phones delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2020

I have used this company for my phone needs for years now. It has worked for my needs by being reasonably priced and useful when I need it. The one complaint is that they do throttle data near the end of the month. It would also be helpful if the calls didn't drop in my house when I try to talk. This phone is an Android based device so I wonder if that also has something to do with the spottiness of calls. I would recommend this to anyone that does not want to be shackled by contracts. The main drawback for some is you have to buy your phone up front.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2020

I have the unlimited plan $45 month with 25 GB of data. Because I have it on autopay I only actually pay $44.49 month saving me hundreds of dollars over other brands. With Straight Talk you must either "Bring your own Phone" or buy one upfront. I think now they do over payment plans for purchasing phones but I usually just buy one then sign up. I've been using straight talk ever since I dropped Sprint when I got my first cell phone thru Avon. It didn't have good coverage like Straight talk did in my rural area & whenever I traveled it seemed my phone was the only one with service so that's a bonus. Best coverage, good rates just not happy with customer service. You never speak to anyone in USA & they don't speak/understand English as well as they should. There's no other company I'd use right now due to coverage & cost that Straight talk wouldn't be superior. Love my Straight talk plan (I have the new Samsung Galaxy S10+).

Original review: Sept. 24, 2019

Update on 11/7/2019: Today 7 November 2019, changed phone service from sprint back to Straight Talk. On the landline for 1½ hours with Ivy. She had the patience of...she just had the patience to put up with me. We did have a good time. I tried to change service by myself and that did not work. So I called customer service and was put through to Ivy. For the next 1½ hours she worked with me to get the service changed to Straight Talk. She worked with the Sprint SIM card and got me all set up and I kept my same phone. I believe using with SIM card did have to reboot the phone and start all over. Understand, because I don't live on the phone. I can reload all my data and phone numbers and I'm okay with that and I'm still using the Sprint SIM card, so I'm returning the "Keep your own phone, SIM activation kit" to Walmart...never had to open. Paid up online, good to go.

Sometimes customer service is really amazing. So if you are going to change service to Straight Talk and talk to a live person, in customer service, be very patient, understanding and nice and ask to have them say something over, they will and be nice about it. Please understand I know to be patient and understand getting something done can take time, but the end result is what counts and I'M BACK TO STRAIGHT TALK. So have a nice day.

Original Review: I have been reading reviews of Sprint and Cricket and Straight Talk. I agree with everybody about your services, good or bad. But I will say had Straight Talk from March 2015 and for me the service was great. Just saying. Service, phone no problem. Never had a drop call. Signal was always strong. Phone worked in my basement. Changed phones 2 times, fast and easy and kept my number. Okay called one time and that was when I was making my first phone change. I don't what to say, but the customer service was cooperative, friendly and fixed my screw up trying to change phone. You don't have to believe a word I'm saying, but I'm sitting at my computer and really can't bad mouth Straight Talk for anything. So if you try Straight Talk, may the force be with you.

Because my wife pays for my phone service, I don't question her judgment. Now the bad news, she switch us to, wait for it, Sprint. Sprint no signal, very poor signal, hard to understand people if the call gets through. No or low bars. Put on the wrong plan and did not figure that out until later. Wife and I agree now, Sprint is, bad for us, may be great for other people. My wife wants to try Cricket, I'm going to see if I can get her to go back to Straight Talk. Oh well, have a nice day and I hope everybody finds the best and right phone service.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Straight Talk Wireless?

Original review: May 26, 2020

Straight Talk Home Phone Box won't activate because they don't support it. According to their online activation, It works.... in reality, it won't. Three customer service agents hung up on me "Matthew" "Romell" and another man who's name was unintelligible. When I asked to speak to a supervisor "Emily" told me "our supervisors don't take calls". I advised "Emily" that I would be contacting the Missouri Attorney General's Office and filing a complaint with the Honorable Eric Schmitt. "Emily" quickly connected me to "Romano" who repeatedly tried to convince me to purchase more equipment.... Very low quality service and rude. I'd stay away from Straight Talk.

Original review: May 25, 2020

Someone else used my name to get the phone service. I'm used to this company, as they're partnered with Fingerhut. I use QLink. About a month ago qlink quit servicing to me, and I called and asked. They said it's because I'm servicing with another company and only 1 service at a time. I did not switch, a family member/friend/other signed up using my information, and stole the phone. Anyways... Long story, but I tried explaining this to the rep, and they said I was a thief.

I hung up on them. They called 3 to 4 times in a row. I hung up on them.... I'm not the thief... It's someone else in my family, or a soon to be ex friend. Needless to say, they're partnered with fingerhut... They tried the same thing with me... I refused to pay the bill because someone robbed me, and they said it's my problem... I am switching somewhere else. I was petrified. The guy kept calling me a thief, and bagged on me for like 10 minutes. He should get a mark for insulting the customer. I didn't make the account, but later on found out who did.

Original review: May 23, 2020

I purchased a Bring Your Own Device SIM card to pair with a brand new unlocked iPad with the sole purpose of setting it up so my elderly grandmother can Facetime. She is in assisted living and, as I am a nurse, I cannot in good conscience visit her during an epidemic. I easily installed the SIM card and was able to get the data connection set up and working. Facetime would only work on WIFI. No amount of trouble shooting resolved this issue. So I called customer service and spent the next three hours on the phone. I was transferred multiple times. I was told by multiple people that I had to have a phone number for the device for them to access my account. Tablets don't have phone numbers. I was also told more than once that the company doesn't offer service for tablets. Which doesn't make sense since I purchased a SIM that says on the package "Bring Your Own Tablet."

One employee told me I did not have an active account on my SIM which was surprising since I could turn off WIFI and use data to access the internet. At one point, an employee transferred me to the Apple Customer Service line where I spent more time on hold. When I called Straight Talk back, the person I reached had poor phone service (I was on a landline- it wasn't me) and the call dropped. By the time I finally reached someone again and demanded a refund, it was over a half hour long process. The gentleman I spoke with said his phone service was poor because he was working from home. No one I spoke with seemed to understand what an iPad or Facetime even was and even when I requested to speak to someone who could help troubleshoot this specific issue, I got nowhere.

I did finally get my refund after some poor gentleman literally listened to me sob inconsolably on the line while he worked through whatever very lengthy process was required of him to get me a refund. I just wanted to be able to see my 94 year old grandmother without giving her COVID! I was also fine with a refund if it hadn't taken hours to get! I'll be going to our local wireless company tomorrow to get the tablet set up. If it is 10 times the price, it will be worth it. Straightalk is that awful. I can't even remember the last time I bothered to leave a review, but this particular experience was worth sharing.

Original review: May 20, 2020

I’ve been using their service for approximately four years, and had been quite satisfied, until I attempted to purchase a phone from their website. That’s when I discovered how awful of a company they are. I ordered an iPhone through them, using their SmartPay credit program. After a few days, the phone still hadn’t shipped, so I decided to call and was informed that they had a systemwide malfunction and they had to reset everyone’s line of credit and that I could reapply after 7 days. Annoying, but I understand that things happen. I decided at that point to just pay for the phone in total, without using SmartPay, and this was a huge mistake. I ordered the phone, which was in stock according to their site. After five business days, the phone still hadn’t shipped, so I contacted them using their online chat service, and was told that the phone would ship out that day. The next day, still no shipping notification.

I called them, and was informed that my order had been cancelled, due to the phone not being in stock. The whole time this is taking place, there had been a 750 dollar hold on my bank account for the phone. Immediately after being told that the order was cancelled, the transaction finalized in my account and the money was taken out. I called them again, and spent an hour and a half on the phone trying to figure out why they took the money out, only to be told that they have no record of the transaction, so they can’t refund me. I called my bank, and was told that Straight Talk had definitely charged my card and that the transaction was completed, so the only thing I could do at this point is to file a dispute. Straight talk couldn’t be more of a dishonest nightmare. Quite literally the worst company I have ever had the displeasure of dealing with. If I could give them zero stars, I would. Avoid at all costs.

Original review: May 15, 2020

It's not unlimited for the $55 a month plan. They shut off my data after 1 week because I used too much. They proceeded to tell me that I had been connecting multiple devices to my phone yet I hadn't used my mobile hot spot data at all and mobile hotspot is the only way to connect multiple devices. They kept telling me it is unlimited and referred me to the terms and service agreement section 6 & 7 and saying I reached my data LIMIT. There shouldn't be a limit on an UNLIMITED plan. I took screenshots and recorded our call so I can tell everyone it's not unlimited like they advertise!! And their customer service reps hung up on me twice and the chat with an agent online service was a joke. They kept telling me I had 1 minute to respond or they would disconnect the chat session so I didn't even have time to type a response and then they tried to disconnect me after 30 seconds and I said it hasn't been a minute.

They then said "please be reminded that 60 seconds is equivalent to one minute." Very rude. And they refused to answer my questions about it being unlimited and claimed I violated their terms and conditions when I hadn't violated anything. And they proceeded to say they wanted to call me instead of chat. POINT OF THIS REVIEW this phone service IS NOT unlimited. They choose when you've used too much data!!! And if there is any question to the validity of these statement I have screenshots of the chats and recorded calls as proof. Feel free to contact me at **.

Straight Talk Wireless author review by ConsumerAffairs

Straight Talk is a provider for TracFone, a subsidiary of América Móvil. The company has offered no-contract wireless phones since 2009. They currently have several unlimited plan options.

• Plan options: Straight Talk offers several plans from which customers can choose. The company offers several monthly plans with varying amounts of data as well as a six-month and a one-year plan. Parents might wish to purchase the longer term plans for teens or college students.

• Customer service: Customers with questions or problems can reach a customer service representative 24/7. Customers can receive help by phone or basic answers by texting HELP to 611611.

• Other services: In addition to cell phone service, Straight Talk offers wireless plans for tablets and home phone service. Consumers can also sign up to use their phone as a mobile hotspot.

• Included features: All Straight Talk plans come with call waiting, voice mail, caller ID, and call waiting. These features are free and available on most devices.

• Blog: Consumers interested in learning more about prepaid and no-contract cell phones can visit the Straight Talk Blog. They can also follow the company on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team