Miami, FL

3.8/5 (1191 ratings)

About Straight Talk Wireless

Straight Talk is a no-contract phone plan that shares networks with four major cellphone service providers. It doesn’t restrict people to long-term contracts, and it offers nationwide coverage and more data plans with flexible payment options.

Pros

• Affordable options
  • Add-on features available
  • No contracts

Cons

• Data can be slow
  • No family plans

Bottom Line

Straight Talk offers basic cellphone coverage and the option to purchase discounted phones or keep your current phone. There are no contracts and no hidden fees.

Straight Talk Wireless Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Straight Talk Wireless?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Straight Talk Wireless?

Original review: Feb. 3, 2010

If I could sue this company, I would for they have put me through. This company is a joke and I am madder than a hornet. As of this day, 02/03/2010, I still have not got a replacement phone. I purchased this phone on their website on 01/10/2010. I have not been able to use my service. I purchased the phone for $124.00 and monthly card unlimited use for $45.00 on 01/10/2010. The phone was defective and would not hold a charge. I called the company the following day and told them of the issue. They said they had to send me a return envelope to send the phone back and stated this could take 5-10 days to get. And once they got the phone, they would send me another one immediately.

I received this on 01/20/2010. I shipped the phone back the same day, 01/20/2010. They received the phone on 01/21/2010. So I called them on 01/23/2010 and they said they did not have the phone and said I must not have shipped it. Then I told them I had confirmation and gave them the tracking number. Then I was told they did have it. I was told they would ship me a new phone out the next day. Never received it, so I called them on 01/25/2010 to be told they did not have it again. I had to provide information once again. I was told the matter would be taken care of. I called on 01/26/2010 to go through the same thing. It was explained to me I would be getting the phone on Monday, 02/01/2010. I called them again and was told they were doing whatever they could. I should receive the phone in 5-10 business days.

I requested for refund and they told me this was impossible and they would clear this up. Then I was informed that they would refund my money for the phone not the minutes. I told them I have not been able to use my minutes since I did not have a phone and it was defective and they had it. So I asked if they ship the phone to me, will they replace my $45.00 card for my minutes? I was told no. I was told then it would be another 7-10 days before I got it. I have asked on several times to speak to someone higher and was told that there is no one.

Consequences that have happened is that I cannot drive without having a phone due to health issues and I do not know anyone in the area I live to take me anywhere. So, since this has begun, I have not been to the store for groceries and I have not been able to pick up my medications. I can not purchase another phone since I live on limited income of disability and cannot afford to purchase a new one with another company.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2010

I purchased a Straight Talk phone from Walmart. I bought airtime for the phone from Walmart. I opened up the phone, put battery in, turned it on. The box that the phone came in indicated that the phone had to be "activated" by going online to straighttalk.com. I went there to activate the phone.

The website asked for the activation code on the airtime card. I entered the activation code. The website told me that I put in a wrong code. I did that again online, same thing. So I took the phone and airtime card back to Walmart and returned it for another Straight Talk phone. This time I paid for airtime online at the Straight Talk website. After going through series of questions regarding the identification of the phone, the website told me to dial certain numbers on the phone keypad and the phone would be activated. After doing this, the display on the phone said that the phone could not be activated at this time, and to try after 2 hours.

Two hours past, and I did the same thing again. Same thing happened. So I called Customer Service at Straight Talk. I was actually told to take the battery out and put it back in again, then turn on the phone (standard customer service programmed response to any problem). That did not work. I was then told to repeat the instructions to "dial certain numbers on the phone keypad and the phone would be activated", which did not work. The customer service person kept telling me to do that over and over until finally I had to put an end to it. In other words, each time that that process would fail, she would tell me to do those steps again. Finally I had to step in, and refuse to do that anymore as it was obviously useless.

She told me to wait up to 24 hours and then try it again. I said no. I told her to just refund the money I spent on the airtime, and I would take the phone back to Walmart where they will refund the money for the actual useless phone. She told me that there is no refund for the airtime. I told her that yes there is, and that you can't just scam people out of their money legally and then have no liability for it. She wasn't hearing all that. She kept saying that there's no refund for the airtime. I told her that I was going to call the police if they did not return the money they stole under false and deceptive pretenses. She said "there's no refund for airtime".

Original review: Jan. 18, 2010

I purchased a Straight Talk phone from their website. I had it for 3 days would not hold a charge. I called Customer Support and told them what was happening. The lady I spoke to was rude as can be. I was told that they have to ship me a box to return the phone and it would take 3-5 days to get here, then I would have to ship it back and it could take up to 10 days for them to process it before they would ship me a new phone which could take another 7 days to receive it. I was really upset over this since my phone is my lifeline for health reasons and I need it. I explained this to the rep and was told, "sorry, we can doing nothing about this." I asked if I could go to a local store to return it and was told no.

Then I asked what about the $45.00 card for unlimited minutes that I could not use. I was told I was out of luck and they would not refund this or replace my money. So I asked could they ship me a battery to see if that was the issue and was told no once again. I told these people being with out a phone could be dangerous to me if I need help and if anything happens, I would hold them responsible and they told me good luck. I asked for a supervisor and know where until I told them I would be contacting the Better Business Bureau then I was given the Corporates phone number 1-800-876-5753. I again explained the situation and asked if they could express ship the new phone to me since it was their product that was bad and was told no again.

I was on the neighbors phone for 2 hours trying to get this cleared up and got really nowhere. I spent almost $200.00 phone and service that I can't even use it. This company is a rip off to all. So now I am without phone service and this is scary with my health issues and I cannot afford to get another one living on limited income. They take advantage of so many people. I will be filing a report against them on Tuesday.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2010

Do not buy from this company! I used their automated phone number to activate my phone. After they mad me enter my $30 minutes card to activate the phone, I was told it would be activated in up to one hour. Two hours later, I called customer service and was told by them it could take up to 24 hours. They provided no help and as much as said, oh well, just wait the 24 hours. This company lies to you when you activate one of their phones. Do not buy from this company!

Original review: Jan. 12, 2010

I had this message when pressing browser error: Requested content "tdevice.home/" cannot be accessed. You do not have access to the site. I have called them for almost a week being told to do same things and nothing worked. I kept calling back and same runaround. They don't seem to know what they are doing and have very bad customer service. All I want is my internet working I pay for! What can I do? What is the fix?

Original review: Jan. 6, 2010

I recently purchased a Straight Talk phone from Walmart. I purchased an unlimited talk/text/data plan and enrolled in auto-refill with my credit card. The phone worked great and had no problems. A few weeks later, I purchased an additional Straight Talk phone from their website. I activated that phone and used it for two days before deciding to return it.

After not being able to activate the original phone online, I called customer service. Many hours were spent on numerous separate calls to try and get the original phone activated. They kept telling me that it was activated; however, the phone that was active and in use was the new phone that I wanted to return. After a few more days of telling them my story, which I had to tell every time I called, they finally got the phone to work. I probably, at this point, spent 20 hours over a week calling customer support.

So everything was fine. I returned the 'newer' phone and the original phone was working just fine. About a week later, I traveled from Pennsylvania to Massachusetts. I noticed that when I was out of PA that the phone said Roam and I could not send or receive MMS. When I got back to home zip code, the phone didn't say roam and it worked fine.

After traveling to an area in PA that worked before for multimedia messaging, the phone was telling me it was in Roam again and not letting me do it. I called them and asked about it, and they told me that my phone was not activated. I went through the activation process and got it working again. The following day, it stopped working again (the messaging). So I called them and told them what happened and the customer service representative told me that the phone was not active and I had to purchase another airtime card.

I told him that I had auto-refill and my card was just charged--and that he could not charge the card again. He then activated my phone and reset the billing cycle. An hour later, my phone stopped working all together. I don't know what to do now. I have no way of getting my money back and have spend many hours on the phone just to get nowhere.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2009

In the support FAQs for transferring your current number to a Straight Talk phone, it says that "Your new Straight Talk will be ready to complete activation when your old phone stops working." The old phone stopped working several days ago, and a Straight Talk representative told me that the number had already been switched to them, but I still haven't been able to activate the new phone. Instead, I keep getting the same message that says, "Your transaction cannot be completed at this time. Your telephone number is in the process of being switched between carriers. Please call 1-877-430-CELL (1-877-430-2355) from a landline phone to check on the status of your number transfer request."

When I called customer service, I was told that there were some "technical difficulties", but that the problem should be resolved within the next four hours. I called back after nearly twenty-four hours had gone by to see why the phone still couldn't be activated. A new representative told me she was going to put me on hold while she researched the problem.

However, she must not have known how to place a person on hold, and I got to listen to her laughing and joking with other "workers" for the next 33 minutes while she "researched." When she did take me off "hold," she told me first that it would be another 72 hours before the phone could be activated. Then she changed her mind to 24 hours, then to 48, then to between 24-48 hours. She couldn't give me any reason for why the phone wouldn't work yet.

If the phone ever starts working, it still looks like a great deal cost-wise, but I pity anyone else who has to try to deal with their customer service, or complete lack of it.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2009

I purchased a MotoRazr v3a from the Straight Talk website along with the $30 monthly plan. I received the phone, used it for 3 days, and both display screens stopped working. I contacted Straight Talk and they sent me a prepaid air bill to return the phone. I did so the same day I received the air bill. It went out on 12/15/09 at 5pm EST and was received at Straight Talk's warehouse in Plainfield, Indiana on 12/16/09 at 9:36 am EST, and signed for by A. **. Every one of the reps that I spoke with have told me that it was not yet received until I pulled out my smoking gun, the tracking information. They sent me an email on 12/20/09 at 3:35 am EST asking that I allow no more than 48 hours for resolution. It is now 12/22/09 and the time is 6:52 pm EST and still no resolution. I was promised phone calls four (4) times but did not receive one. I was promised emails with a tracking number for the replacement phone six (6) times but did not receive one.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2009

I never knew what hell was until I purchased a Straight Talk cellular phone at a Walmart in Atlanta, Georgia. First of all, when I purchased the phone for $80 plus an activation card for $45, I was told to call the 877 number on the phone box to activate the phone. But each time I called to activate the phone, someone from India or China always answered the phone and we never understood each other. They always went through some lengthy processes with lots of putting on hold, and they kept telling me to wait two to four hours for the phone to be activated and that went on for two weeks.

For people who don't know how the Straight Talk phone works, here is how it works beside the lousy and lengthty activation process: when the 30-day cycle is due for the bill to be paid, you have to pay it exactly on the day it's due. If you wait another day, you have to go through an entire reactivation process again which can take up to two weeks and lots of long phone calls. The most painful injustice they do to me is that I have a $45 a month package which includes unlimited callings, texts and web browsing. And 5 days after I paid them for a new month, they block me from receiving and making calls on my phone. They claim that they discontinued my service, because I used the internet too much. There was never been any written or verbal agreement that limit the use of the internet on the phone.

What makes it worse is that they never reimbursed me for all the days that I went without my phone. They took the internet off my phone while it was included in my package. They have a $30 package which does not include the internet and I have the $45 package which includes the internet. What kind of injustice is this? I would never encourage anyone to go with that Straight Talk crap.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2009

I purchased a Straight Talk Wireless phone from Walmart in Kewanee on November 13th. Straight Talk is a prepaid phone and you then transfer your existing phone number over to activate your phone. It states that this process can take up to 7 days. It has been 10 days and I am still without a phone and have not gotten any straight answers from Straight Talk except for every day I call, they tell me I need to wait another 24-48 hours. I have talked to several people everyday and the initial issue was getting the release from Verizon to port over my current number and I was told on November 14th that this has been done and it's November 22nd, and I still have no phone. I am extremely frustrated with this company and plan to tell everyone never to go with Straight Talk Wireless.

Original review: July 26, 2009

On July 16th, 2009, my fiancé, Cheri **, and I purchased a Straight Talk cellphone from Wal-Mart (the Motorola V3a or RAZR as it is better known). Upon getting the phone home, we called the number indicated in the instructions to activate the phone. The phone then appeared to be seamlessly activated. A few days later, my fiancé tried to use the web feature on the phone to no avail; it kept giving her an error message saying that “requested content tfdevice.home could not be accessed; you do not have access to the site.” We proceeded to call the customer service number listed for Straight Talk at which time we reached a very polite young person who led us through a number of steps to try and get the web browser working, including using the master reset for the phone, clearing the browser cache, history and cookies, then removing the battery while the power is still on, all to no avail. We were then told that they would have a technician look into the problem and it should be resolved in 24 to 48 hours; but since it was a Sunday, it could be Wednesday before the problem was fixed.

Wednesday came and we could still not get on the web browser on the phone, at which time they led us through the same procedures as the first time we called with the master reset and taking off the battery and such. There again was no progress and they proceeded to tell me they were escalating the situation and sending it to the proper channels and that a higher level of technician would be looking into the problem. They then told me that it should be resolved by Friday. Friday came and there again was no progress on the cell phone’s web browser. Upon calling the company for the third time, they again instructed us on those same procedures they had instructed us to do in the past and we informed them that we had already done them before calling as we were getting pretty familiar with the procedure. We humored them anyway and followed through with the routine, but again there was no progress. Again, they told us they would escalate the problem and send it to a technician, at which time we told them we would like to speak with a supervisor.

When we spoke with the supervisor, they informed us that they would send this problem to corporate and corporate would call us by the end of the day with a remedy to the problem. Friday came and went without a call as promised. Today, Saturday, July 25th, 2009, we again called Straight Talk and told them how tired we were of getting the runaround and we either needed the problem with the web browser fixed or we needed to return the phone to Wal-Mart and have the remaining time put on the new phone. They proceeded to tell us that this would be their last attempt to fix the phone and it should be fixed in 24 to 48 hours. Oh, how we loved to hear that sentence again. We are writing you this in hopes that you would please help us in our endeavors with this company. We're sure that if you do contact Straight Talk about our problem, they will ask you to take off your battery and clear your cache as it states in their never changing, well-mannered script. All kidding aside, I would greatly appreciate any help you can give us in this matter as we are at our wits’ end.

Straight Talk Wireless Company Information