Miami, FL

3.7/5 (1179 ratings)

About Straight Talk Wireless

Straight Talk is a no-contract phone plan that shares networks with four major cellphone service providers. It doesn’t restrict people to long-term contracts, and it offers nationwide coverage and more data plans with flexible payment options.

Pros

• Affordable options
  • Add-on features available
  • No contracts

Cons

• Data can be slow
  • No family plans

Bottom Line

Straight Talk offers basic cellphone coverage and the option to purchase discounted phones or keep your current phone. There are no contracts and no hidden fees.

Straight Talk Wireless Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Straight Talk Wireless?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Straight Talk Wireless?

Original review: Aug. 5, 2010

I cannot believe how bad this phone service has been. Our calls are dropped constantly, the data signal is always being lost, and even our text messages have started to not go through. When we purchased the first straight talk phone for our family, the service wasn't too bad, considering the price of the plans. We were lulled into a false sense of security, and we purchased two more phones. However, the service has been getting worse and worse. It has gotten so bad that we are switching back to one of the big three wireless providers. Not sure which one yet, but anything will be better than straight talk.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2010

On July 23rd, I purchased a Straight Talk Phone and a $45.00 unlimited calling card from WalMart. I cancelled my Straight Talk phone, July 31, after having it only one week. I was never able to use the phone because it dropped all calls incoming and outgoing. I have spoken with Straight Talk reps until I am blue in the face. I sent more than a dozen e-mails. No one could or knew how to correct the problem. I returned the phone and the $45.00 card to WalMart today, August 1st. WalMart refunded the money for the phone but refused to refund the $45.00 for the card. WalMart has to be a willing party to this scam by Straight Talk. It's shameful that WalMart would stoop this low, but at WalMart, the almighty dollar rules.

Original review: July 31, 2010

When I tried to reload my phone (before my service plan lapsed), Straight Talk claimed that the phone number that I had was not mine even though they had given it to me. I had been using that number for a month! They changed my number without my consent after agreeing to give me the same number that I had. Four hours I was on the phone with their customer service and no help. Their customer service absolutely ** and their main company TracFone was no help either.

Original review: July 28, 2010

I recently dropped AT&T cell phone service because of the high price of cellular service and bought myself a Straight Talk phone and a $45.00 card. I have had nothing but trouble with the service. They have terrible reception and too many dropped calls to count. Their customer service is a joke. I am giving Straight Talk until my time runs out and going back to AT&T. It doesn't matter how low Straight Talk's prices are, if you can't use their product, you're wasting your money.

Original review: July 27, 2010

Bought a Samsun r451c through Straight Talk at Christmas. Loved it. Then 6 weeks ago it went haywire. So through a truly painful process Straight Talk sent me a new r451c. That phone is now acting up (No incoming. Last time, it was no outgoing!) I am at the end of my rope! I have spent money, many, many, many hours, and a total lack of connection and still no satisfaction! Prior to this I had been sending letters of praise to Straight Talk. I literally feel ill over this. Is this some kind of medieval torture? $100 phone not worrying for over 6 weeks off and on 2- $30 phone cards losing time because the phone doesn't work 5+ hours of personal time with Straight Talk customer service trying to fix this. I feel ill and was so upset the other day. This is my only phone. I just had a total meltdown.

Original review: July 25, 2010

I purchased an html phone from the Straight Talk website with a 30-day trial period. I couldn't view videos. So, I called tech support and was not dealing with people who knew what the phone could or could not do. I found out, after hours with tech support, that the phone could not play videos, which is why I got the phone. I sent it back within the 30-day period and was told to wait 60 to 90 days for a refund ($325.00). After 90 days, I called to find out what happened and spent hour after hour with them giving the tracking number and my number over and over.

They said they would elevate it to corporate. They said they would call or email. They never did and I called my credit card company and complained. It was beyond the refund period because I waited 90 days for the refund. They said they would contact Straight Talk and see if they could help. My credit card company said that they got a response that said they would elevate it to corporate and that they would contact me about my refund that’s been due for 6 months now. Those were the same lies they told me 3 months ago. I called them and they said call back. Now the call won't even connect. I still use Straight Talk as my provider. But I have been lied to and as of now, they stole my money. I don't know what else to do.

Original review: July 22, 2010

On the 14th of July 2010, I ordered a Motorola W385C Straight Talk phone from Straightalk.com. It arrived yesterday, July 20th, 2010. I charged the phone and then activated it with the $45 monthly plan card. All seemed well. I made the initial test phone call that is required following activation. The call went through and there were no problems. Here's where it gets good.

Knowing or thinking that my StraightTalk phone was working properly, I entered all the phone numbers from my prior phone’s address book. And then, I performed a mass text to give my friends and family my new number. Following sending, my phone started ringing uncontrollably and had message after message. It had duplicate delivery confirmations from each and every one of them! I sent 42 texts and had 42 delivery reports. It lit my phone up like the 4th of July!

It gets better. Those receiving my texts all said the same thing. They said that it appeared that their own phone had sent the text because the CB (call back) number displayed in the text message was their own number! So, I've got this phone that rings me immediately back with every outgoing text. Those receiving my texts think their own phone sent it to them, which makes a lot of people skitzo almost immediately. Over the course of multiple call backs to CS over 4 hours yesterday, they still kept trying to "fix" my phone via instructions to me (a walk-through) instead of simply offering to replace it. Today, I was on the phone with CS for 5 hours doing the same fix-it routine until "1" tech-representative finally handed me off to what I thought was a refund department.

Notice to All: Straight Talk does not refund cash nor refund any method of payment in regard to faulty phones. They will only replace with the same model and there is zero option of paying extra to upgrade to a different model phone. If you paid like I did for Next Day Air or FedEx 3-day shipping, your replacement phone will be sent via 3 to 5 day delivery.

Original review: July 21, 2010

Bought a phone from Wal-Mart. Tried to transfer port A tn from Cricket to straight talk on June 20th 2010. Still on July 21, its not completed. Now I have no phone for my business and the Cricket tn is not working nor is the straight talk tn. my landscaping business is DOA, thanks to the no phone at all due to this problem. Help! They keep saying port is almost completed, give them 3 hrs, but I am so upset. I wish I had never heard of this company as they are all ignorant apparently who cannot understand and do not care if they put me out of business!

Original review: July 19, 2010

I have copied and pasted two comments that I made on a different complaint board. I want as many people to be aware of what this company is doing

(First post from 12-27-2009). "In the support FAQs for transferring your current number to a Straight Talk phone, it says, "Your new Straight Talk will be ready to complete activation when your old phone stops working."

The old phone stopped working several days ago, and a Straight Talk representative told me that the number had already been switched to them. But I still haven't been able to activate the new phone. Instead, I keep getting the same message that says, "Your transaction cannot be completed at this time. Your telephone number is in the process of being switched between carriers. Please call 1-877-430-CELL (1-877-430-2355) from a landline phone to check on the status of your number transfer request."

When I called customer service, I was told that there were some "technical difficulties", but that the problem should be resolved within the next four hours. I called back after nearly twenty-four hours had gone by to see why the phone still couldn't be activated. A new representative told me she was going to put me on hold while she researched the problem. However, she must not have known how to place a person on hold, and I got to listen to her laughing and joking with other "workers" for the next 33 minutes while she "researched". When she did take me off "hold", she told me first that it would be another 72 hours before the phone could be activated. Then she changed her mind to 24 hours, then to 48, then to between 24-48 hours. She couldn't give me any reason for why the phone wouldn't work yet.

If the phone ever starts working, it still looks like a great deal cost-wise, but I pity anyone else who has to try to deal with their customer service, or complete lack of it. This is an update on my original post (Second post from 7-19-2009). I thought that we would probably be giving up a little bit on quality by switching to the Straight Talk phones from Wal-Mart just because of the price, but I had no idea the service could possibly be this bad. The internet that is available for the phones is a joke. All of our phones (my family has three different models, so it's not just one type of phone) lose signal so often that it's a miracle to ever actually see a complete page download. Most pages are not compatible with the browser on the phones anyway.

Voice calls are dropped constantly. I tried one day to have a conversation with my husband about a doctor's appointment, and the call was dropped five times in one four-minute period. On my model, the Samsung R451C, I have to stand perfectly still to keep from dropping calls, even shifting my feet can cause a dropped call. My husband and daughter are able to at least walk with their phones. We haven't been able to pinpoint any particular thing that makes their phones drop calls. It just happens to them for no reason at different times and in different places, a lot.

The only thing that we can rely on to work is the text messaging, and our daughter is the only one who really uses that. Also, all of our phones are constantly getting text messages from Straight Talk trying to convince us to switch from the $30 'All you Need' plan to a more expensive unlimited plan. We never even come close to using the minutes, text or data on the plan, so why would we want to spend more?

The customer service is a mess too. I mentioned some of how bad it is in my previous post. I would strongly discourage anyone who is considering this service. I know the price seems great, but the service is so bad, it's just not worth the savings.

Original review: July 16, 2010

I've been trying to get my Straight Talk phone activated/programmed since I bought it. I keep getting the runaround from the Straight Talk representatives whom, I suspect, are located in India (outsourcing) because of their obvious accents. This company got almost $100 of my money and I now don't have a phone! I am elderly and on a fixed income and need the phone in case of emergencies. I filed a complaint with the FCC and urge anyone who has problems with Straight Talk to do the same. The FCC will shut them down if they get enough complaints.

Original review: July 11, 2010

I purchased a phone from Wal-Mart, a Straight Talk wireless phone for about $150, which included a $45 unlimited use phone card on May 14, 2010. Two weeks after purchase, my phone was stolen. I called the company to ask them to shut off or suspend the usage of the card. They offered to credit me the unused 29 days or suspend the service until I purchased another phone. I told them to suspend the service and I would buy a new phone when my monthly pension check came in.

My phone was found and returned to me yesterday (7/9/2010). I called customer service to have my unused days on my card reinstated. They told me that my phone was never turned off and all the usage days were used up. After speaking with many "supervisors" in this company, it became apparent to me that I was caught in an infinite loop with Straight Talk's customer "no service. " I will never receive a credit for my lost 29 days because the company failed to stop the service when I reported the loss. They admit they have documentation to show that I called reporting the theft, but they are unwilling to make up for their deficiency to deactivate the air time days.

I am not sure what recourse I have about this, but I feel this company is grossly incompetent serving its customers or is consciously defrauding customers they never intend to "make whole" after experiencing a loss. As a result, I plan to call consumer advocate Clark Howard for his advice in going forward with this matter of lost, unrefunded card usage. I plan to write the Consumer Protection Agency, the State Public Service Commissioner, the FCC, Straight Talk CEO, Wal-Mart executives, the local WalMart store manager where this phone was purchased. I will follow up in Small Claims Court in Camden County, GA if necessary.

This seems like a lot of frenzied activity for what seems to be a small amount of money, but this is how Straight Talk manages their resources. "No Service" is actually a business strategy. I want to do whatever I can to have my air time restored. I also want to discourage dishonest business practices towards small consumers by large corporations such as Straight Talk, Inc who practice taking advantage of their customers with corporate ineptitude and/or dishonesty. This has quit being a matter of monetary loss and has become a matter of principle. Large corporations should not have a comfort level in running rough shod over their customers and taking unfair advantage of them in such a deplorable fashion. Straight Talk, Inc should not be sanctioned and allowed to transact business with merchants who allow shoddy, dishonest customer service and condone it with their support, their silence, and their continued "wink and nod" business.

Original review: July 9, 2010

I have been buying Straight Talk cards for $45.00, which should cover 30 days of service. Each time, the cards would expire in approximately three weeks. I thought I was just writing the wrong expiration dates in my records, though today I looked closely and noticed that the cards are only lasting around 20 days. I pulled out my records of transaction IDs, etc. and called customer service. I explained that when I tried to call out today, a recording stated that I was out of minutes and that I needed to refill. I went ahead and refilled it, though the expiration date was supposed to be July 17, 2010; not today, July 9, 2010. Their only response to me was this: "Sorry that happened to you; is there anything else we can help you with today?"

Wow, I was just shocked to hear that they did not even care that this is happening to their customer every month. I then told them this was false advertisement and it seemed like a scam, though I thought how could this company be a scam if Wal-Mart was promoting them? They still said there was nothing they could do and told me to have a nice day. I now have no choice but to return this phone to Wal-Mart and switch to another service this weekend, because Straight Talk is conducting unfair and untrustworthy business.

I will be reporting them to the Better Business Bureau as well, in order to protect others. The customer service rep placed me on hold and came back to say that her supervisor refused to give any credit back for all the weeks the company had cut from the $45.00 30-day unlimited card, which only turned out to be a three-week card. This company has no integrity whatsoever. How can they be allowed to stay in business with such a reputable company as Wal-Mart?

Original review: July 8, 2010

I have had my straight talk phone for approximately 6 months. I purchase an unlimited plan, each month for $45.00, which is suppose to be valid for 30 days.

Problem 1. If I purchase my plan in advance, it resets my account balance and service end date. This means I am not getting the full 30 days of service that I originally paid for, if I purchase a new plan in advance.

Problem 2. Today, July 8, 2010, I waited and purchased my new service plan on my end date, getting my money's worth, so I thought. I paid the $45.00 for unlimited 30 days. I printed my receipt, but my service was not updated. In fact, I am on the phone with their tech support team as I type this complaint. I have been on the phone for over 1/2 an hour. The woman continues to put me on hold, tells me "I am navigating the system for you, please continue to hold." I have answered the same question a dozen times and still no help. I believe they are attempting to make me so angry that I end the call, but I refuse to do that. I want what I paid for. Still on hold.

I am out $45.00 for the service plan I just purchased with my debit card. I use the phone for business so I am missing important business calls. I am getting very frustrated with being asked to repeat the same thing over and over to their tech support person. I have a headache from this frustration & I'm still on hold. When I pay for 30 days of service, shouldn't I get 30 days of service?

Original review: July 6, 2010

On June 4 2010, I ordered an LG290c phone on the internet from Straighttalk. On June 8 2010, the phone came but the battery was wrong one in the phone bundle. Went online to air my problem to Straighttalk. It took five tries to get the problem that I was having. They said to send it back and they will send out new phone bundle. So I did. I sent phone, charger, all instructions, a $45 unlimited card. On june28 2010, they sent new phone out but no prepaid $450card. So went back online to tell them with the new problem but no answer. On July 5 2010, I went on the internet to activate the phone but had to purchase another $45 unlimited card. We also wanted to keep our old phone number so they contacted our phone company and turned our old phone off. Now we are without any phone! They didn't say we would be without any phone at any time. My wife and myself are on S.S and are over 66 years old. If any one can help us, please. No phone, out $90 for two unlimited 30 day cards and no way to call for help. Can't get calls in from anyone. Spent hours on line sending e-mail to Straihgttalk with no answers.

Original review: July 5, 2010

I tried downloading a ringtone (DJ Tiesto, Feel It) one day for $2.99. Error 500 popped up. I figured, something just went wrong this time, my card isn't going to get charged. In the past with other companies, something like this has happened and my card didn't get charged, or my phone. I tried it again and again, error 500 popped up. Before downloading again, I did check my card and sure enough, the $2.99 was deducted twice. For over a month, I fought with customer service on getting a refund or getting the ringtone. Finally, a lady told me that I would have to try re-booting my phone and downloading the ringtone again.

It was like having my card charged again? She said that it wouldn't be charged if the ringtone downloaded. I said, I've been trying to get it downloaded already and you guys haven't done anything. She said it because their computers show it downloaded twice. I said, "Why would I keep calling about a ringtone?" I finally gave up, but they are not getting anymore of my money. The only reason they have my business as it is because they are the only unlimited cheap phone. I lost $5.98 and a ringtone.

Original review: July 4, 2010

I confirmed with agent at Wal-Mart that I could return the phone before I purchased it. Got the phone home, no coverage. Called back because I was "required" to put in my credit card number in order to see if I had service here. I called 5 minutes after the failed activation. They said the Wal-mart store would remove the charges from my card. I knew this was crap.

Called again the next morning after a 50.00 charged showed up on my ATM, not credit mind you, POS withdraw. l they took the cash immediately! I called again and complained. One girl told me I was out of luck. I couldn't understand the language she was speaking. I think it was Chinese but I'm not sure. I told her I never used the phone it wouldn't work in my area and I was going to return it. She said you can't get your money back. I asked for a supervisor, the super got on the phone confirmed my info and then told me I couldn't have my money back even though I never used it. She said hold on for one moment and then I was left on hold for 15 minutes, then they hung up!

Original review: July 1, 2010

On may 30, 2010 I purchased a Straight Talk LG 290C cellphone from Walmart, along with a $30.00 activation plan card. The phone and activation went smoothly. The phone worked well until June 17, 2010 when I called Straight Talk customer service, and explained to then that the phone won't keep a full charge. After several attempts to reset the phone without success, I insisted on them replacing my phone and be credited the time that I was unable to use my phone. Eleven days later, I got replacement phone and they told me on June 28, 2010 and it took till June 30, 2010 to get it activated. They activated it with the wrong number when I was told I'd still be able to port my initial number onto replacement phone.

July 1, 2010, I call Straight Talk Customer service again to have my old number ported onto replacement phone and operator tells me that if they do that I'd have to buy an activation card. I went off telling her that I was to be credited for my inconvenience, which they did by giving me a full 30days activation. Now I'm told by this idiot that I have to pay. Well, he had to put me in touch with someone in tech support and being placed on hold longer then I spent time talking to the tech, he tells me the numbers can't be ported. Before hanging up I asked him, "How is it you can port a phone number from another carrier onto a Straight Talk phone but you can't port a number you just issued me 30 days ago?" It just doesn't make sense. It's obviously Straight Talk is outsourcing their help. Reading from a manual clueless as to what they are reading. They really need to be looked into.

My cellphone is my business phone more so then personal phone. I'm on call at jobs and rely on my phone working properly at all times. Because of the inconvenience Straight talk put me through,I lost several hundred dollars in income. Also with both the delay in processing my replacement phone and not being able to port my old number many resumes I put out using original number, will not be able to contact me , and now I have to send letters out to them updating and apologizing for any inconvenience they may had in trying to contact me. Trying to save money after being with a national cellphone service carrier for 6+ years is not worth it. I'll probably end up going back to them.

Original review: June 11, 2010

On May 28, 2010, I bought a Straight Talk cell phone and a $30 minute card. I tried for hours to get it programmed, but with no luck. I went back to WM and got another card to see if that would work. It didn't either. So the next day, I took all 3 back. I got the money for the phone, but I was told they couldn't refund the money for the card. I would have to call the 800 number on the back of the card. I bought another phone and another card. I did get that phone to work.

I called the company 800 number for several days with no luck. I finally got to talk to someone. She said I had to have called them within 7 days for a refund. Why didn't the 3 people I talked to at the store tell me this? All I wanted was store credit or a gift card for $60. I go to this store 1 or 2 times a week. Is Wal-Mart poor now? I know they can afford $60. I only work part-time, and I want to be reimbursed. The customer service girl said they have had a lot of problems with Straight Talk phones. So we just suck up the price we pay for the cards? I want my money back. I am out $60 from a store that is rich.

Original review: June 9, 2010

I spent approx $250 ordering a new phone and 3 months of service directly from Straight Talk and cannot get the phone to work. Three days and counting, all I've been told is that my PIN is no good (it's the PIN they sent with the phone), and then they said it's a network problem and they'll have it fixed in 24 hours. I waited 24 hours -- still nothing. I still haven't been assigned a phone number. I called back again and this time they hung up on me. As near as I can tell, when I call Straigh tTalk (I have to use a friend's phone to call them), I get put on with someone from India. It's three days now; I've used up all my minutes on my old phone, and now I have nothing. Straight Talk is a piece of garbage. I'd be better off with two cans and a piece of string.

Original review: June 4, 2010

I have just read several complaints about Straight Talk's Customer service issues. My experience hasn't been too bad really. I don't like using the regular customer service line, I call the Miami office. After spending around 45 minutes on the phone trying to figure out what was wrong with it, I was told it was defective and they would replace it for free. They gave me a bunch of information, I gave them my information (address, etc) and was told to wait for something to come in the mail for me to then send them the phone in.

So, a few days later, it arrived, I sent them the phone, and 4 days later received the new phone. I am very happy about this, they were great on the phone, did everything they could to figure things out, so 45 min on the phone paid off. I am quite surprised to hear about all the complaints, I haven't experience any problems. In fact, when I first activated the phone, I was told it would take up to 4 hours to complete. I don't even think it took 20 minutes. I waited a while and tried the *8, whatever number, and it took 2 seconds. I'm very pleased with the service and customer service for the most part.

Original review: June 4, 2010

Early May, 2010, I noticed a Walmart promotion on what seemed to be a great deal on cell phones and service rendered through a division of TracFone called Straight Talk. The deal seemed great for me so without checking online for any complaints, I bought the phone and $30 card for 1000min/30days to be refilled every 30 days. Walmart called in the registration to activate the phone which took nearly one hour! That should have been the first red flag. When I got home, no account number had been texted as was told to Walmart rep by Straight Talk. Without this, I could not check my balance or refill online with Straight Talk when the time came. I called their customer service number myself and waited for 45 minutes more than once, all to no avail and finally went back again to Walmart where another rep spent at least 30 minutes trying to get them on the phone to set this all up for me. I should have returned the phone at that time.

Yet, every time I try to access my account or find my balance on their website, I keep getting a system error. Thus, the dreaded call to Straight Talk's customer service to correct. Once, I was told that it was their system's error but that it was temporary. Excuse me, it has never worked! Not for me anyway. So, when I had to refill, it was again impossible on their website and holding at different times for up to 30 minutes (I'd already prepaid these minutes!). Again, no help. I went back to Walmart to refill for me. The manager called and it was at least 45 minutes before someone assisted him. When I got home, I kept getting text and emails from Straight Talk that my phone minutes were about to expire! I got them on the phone and they stated I needed to refill! I explained to them that it was done earlier that day by Walmart manager! The CS rep wanted the card number and I was shocked. I told her that the card had been pitched by Walmart because we both thought the refill had been completed.

Trying to reply to their emails or their text messages are all returned as invalid addresses. Their customer service people are all in other countries with broken English. They may read it but they don't understand it beyond the very obvious scripted format they seem to use and to deviate from that completely throws them and they either disconnect or keep repeating the script over and over.

I bought the phone on May 4, for just under $100. First month's 1000 minutes $30 (then another $30 /1000min 3days ago). Time calling them on my own is six hours. Time Walmart has called for me is three hours. Time back and forth (5 miles) to Walmart not to mention gas, the effort, aggravation and pure frustration trying to deal with these people and remain nice has been nearly impossible. I'm completely ready for a class action against Straight Talk! I wrote to their corporate office in Miami and all I got for my trouble was a call from another of these reps that are difficult to understand. Unfortunately, that call was a voicemail and the number given was the same old customer service number. Back to square one!

If it had not been for my giving some prospective employers just last week my new cell tel#, I would box this all up and return to Walmart and go with a more dependable company. This whole business has been a nightmare! I would caution anyone giving their credit card online or over the phone to this company. As soon as I can establish with another company, I will quit this horrific service with Straight Talk.

Original review: June 2, 2010

On Friday, May 21, 2010, I called the Straight Talk customer service line regarding difficulty getting into my Straight Talk on-line account, and about a text that indicated I needed to update my account. I was unsure as to whether this was a valid text from Straight Talk or one of those companies trying to get access to my phone information. I was told by the recording that there would be a 10-minute wait. I wait for over 2 hours, to no avail. I would not have normally waited that long, but I have not been able to contact your customer service line before and I wanted to find out how long it would take to get a representative to help me. I was absolutely shocked when, after 2 hours, I still did not get a customer service representative to answer!

I just wanted to let you know that if there is not a satisfactory resolution to this problem, I will be contacting the Better Business Bureau, AARP, Wal-Mart, and anyone else I think might be interested in this. This is an absolute disgrace! I pay $30 a month. I only use the phone for a few hours of service every month, and this is the customer service I am supposed to be satisfied with? In my 56 years of life, I have never seen anything like this. I chose this service because I was under the impression that it was the best prepaid service available. I was tired of being overcharged for the small amount of time I spend on the phone.

I certainly hope that I will not have to discontinue my service with your company. I would hate to think I paid $80 for a phone that I will not be able to use. I have only recently, within the past few months, switched my service to Straight Talk. A response to this problem and my original question would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I had called several other times and was told by the recording that my wait would be 10 minutes; however, I did not have time to wait. That is why on my day off. I waited to see how long it would actually take. I put the phone on speaker and actually had to carry the phone around with me, hoping they would answer. I would just like others to be made aware of this situation. No customer service. I still cannot get into my online account. I had to carry the phone around on speaker for over 2 hours to no avail. To make matters worse, no response to my emails.

Original review: May 25, 2010

I purchased my straight talk phone and a $45.00 no limit minute card and activated it and the phone on Apr. 26, 2010. It worked fine until the 5th of May when I could no longer make or receive calls. I called the company every day for 5 days and could never get a live person to speak with. Sometimes, I would be on hold for up to 2 hours. I finally wrote the company a letter on May 10th and explained my situation.

The first time I received a call from them, I was on the phone with them for 45 minutes and they could not solve the problem. They called again in a couple of days and they got the phone to work. When I asked them about giving me credit for the days that it did not work, since my reactivation date is almost up, and I did not have use of the phone for a full month, they said they would have to get back with me. When they called back, they ask me if I had my receipt or the box the phone came in. I had neither as I threw them away after the first initial activation nor the phone was working. They said their data showed the phone had been rescanned at Wal-Mart, which I have not done. Again, they said they would get back with me.

Well here it is May 25th and my reactivation date is tomorrow. They called today again asking for a receipt or the box it came in, again I told them I didn't have neither and they again told me the phone had been rescanned at Wal-Mart. I assured them that I did not take the phone back to Wal-Mart and that I bought their phone and card in good faith, but evidently they don't sell them in good faith and that I was tired of messing with them and they know what they could do with their phone. I then politely hung up. I paid $40.00 for the phone and $45.00 for the card, which I will chalk up to a bad experience. I have a Tracfone, but I am doing a part time job that requires a lot of phone use, so I thought a no limit minute phone would better suit my needs. So, if anyone wants a Straight Talk phone, I have one I will gladly send them and I will go back to using my Tracfone even if it does cost me more in minutes.

Original review: May 20, 2010

My new phone doesn't work. They say hold and never get back on the line. It’s very frustrating. They act like it’s a problem to help me. I have been on hold now for 45 minutes. This is a scam. Do not purchase Straight Talk phones.

Original review: May 13, 2010

Straight Talk customer service tells you 5 minute wait! You wait 1-3 hours or more. I bought ring tones twice, never received them, called 3 times, still never received them. There are no email contact for this company with thousands of complaints online about customer service. Agents are Middle Eastern speaking in broken English. When you complain about how long it takes, they just apologize. Nothing is done regarding wait times. Who owns this company? where can a consumer go to get something resolved? Walmart? Tracfone?

Original review: May 10, 2010

I opened a measured account on 4/7/10. I was only able to access the account balance once in the first week and not at all since. Customer Service keeps lying to me. They like to put me on hold for 20 minutes to hours at a time (and they charge that time against my account!), then tell me the website is under update and tell me that I can't get my account balance, or they give me some wildly high number like I used 5 hours and 200 messages in the last 2 days when it is more like 40 minutes and 20 messages according to my phone timers.

Also, they used deceptive advertising on their services. Messaging is limited to one image per message. They have disabled the phone's java functions and severely limited what they call "accessing the Web". All it is good for is downloading their content and is not functional for most other content including the GPS as they advertise.

Original review: May 8, 2010

I bought a Straight Talk phone with a $30 service card. I scratched the numbers off but I scratched it a little hard and was unable to read the numbers. So, I called customer service at least three times. Each time, I was on hold anywhere from 30 minutes to two hours as no one never picked up on the line. I called everyday throughout the week and was still never able to get a hold of any customer service rep. I bought the phone on May 1st 2010. It is now May 10th and I have still been unable to get a hold of any customer service rep. So, I bought another service card and scratched softer this time. I went through the steps and now I am missing a code to actually have the phone programmed for use which meant I had to call customer service again with no results. I am out of about $105 that have been spent on this phone and it is still not active. There needs to be an investigation done on this company as the service at this company is a joke and they are just taking people's money and not helping or answering any complaints. I am out of about $105 that have been spent on this phone and it is still not active as this was a gift for someone.

Original review: May 6, 2010

We could not afford the unlimited talk on virgin for a teenager. So we got my grandson a straight talk phone with $45 unlimited talk. It worked fine for one month. In May, the toll free number did not work for 3 days straight but I bought a refill card, $45 plus tax at Walmarts. We succeeded in refilling the phone by his phone. The service line by phone still was down. The phone worked for one night- maybe about 8 hours.

Now, today, I bought the card last evening. It is not working. The balance is showing online it's good until June 4, 2010. If you call the number, it says it is out of service. I tried to re enter the pun number of the card and it says it is already used. (of course) There is no email contact for this company. I just know it says Verizon when listening to the toll free number. I held the phone after dialing the number and woke up to it asking if it was a trac phone or a safelink so I guess Verizon has all of them. Straight talk is not work the hassle. My grandson is having a fit and so am I. I have spent $45 plus and not getting any service. It averages about a $1 a day plus change but this is a bother. He carries a phone for his safety and my peace of mind and the lady who keeps him worries if he cannot be contacted.

Original review: May 5, 2010

Straight Talk used Wells Fargo Visa on Apr 30,2010 and paid $46 for renewed 30 days cellular service. It worked Saturday and Sunday. It has not worked since Monday a.m., May 3-5th. I used land line to phone Straight Talk They kept on holding but there was no answer on the 4th and 5th. I went to Walmart where I bought their service. Walmart refused to solve the problem. They said they realized Straight Talk was not answering inquiries.

Original review: May 4, 2010

I have called so many times in the last four days. I bought minutes for my phone four days ago and they are still not on there and I can't get through to talk with anyone that can help.

Straight Talk Wireless Company Information