Miami, FL

3.8/5 (1184 ratings)

About Straight Talk Wireless

Straight Talk is a no-contract phone plan that shares networks with four major cellphone service providers. It doesn’t restrict people to long-term contracts, and it offers nationwide coverage and more data plans with flexible payment options.

Pros

• Affordable options
  • Add-on features available
  • No contracts

Cons

• Data can be slow
  • No family plans

Bottom Line

Straight Talk offers basic cellphone coverage and the option to purchase discounted phones or keep your current phone. There are no contracts and no hidden fees.

Straight Talk Wireless Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Straight Talk Wireless?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Straight Talk Wireless?

Original review: Sept. 16, 2010

I purchased Straight Talk phone and immediately the back continually fell off. Last time I couldn't find it. I went back to store to be told that isn't their problem. I called Straight Talk to be told they would do a replacement. I picked it up on 9-1-2010 and received it in their warehouse. I had the confirmation paper by FedEx and until I proved it. They said it was never received. I continually called. On 9-14, I called to be told there had been no activity in replacement. Gilbert said, "It will be in your hands within 24-28 hours.” The 48 hours are up. I called Gilbert who said he was sorry, but it will be 5-7 days more. I asked why he lied. He said he didn't.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2010

I called them to turn on my husband's phone that night and told them to put it on auto-pay from my account. The next morning, the phone was not turned on and they charged my account over 200 dollars.The bank said Straight Talk had to send them a fax stating it was an accident. Because of this, my bank account was frozen until they get this fax. After numerous calls and requests for this fax, it never happened. Meanwhile, my rent was late and I had late fees for this and charges from my bank. Now my cell phone was registered for the auto pay; direct deposit also was due for a payment that didn't go thru because my account was frozen. They promised free service and that never happened also. This is **, ridiculous and their service **. They should be shut down.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2010

I upgraded a Straight Talk phone to a more expensive model. The back fell off almost immediately and I was told that there was no warranty. I called and was told they would send me a new one. An empty box came to pack it up, which they never said and it was returned by FedEx using the same carrier. After confirming it had been received via FedEx, I called Straight Talk, only to be told they never received it. They then put me on hold and after 39 minutes, they tell me how important I am, but they can't tell me where the phone is or when it will be returned. As it is my use for emergencies, I am without one and have no phone. I will be canceling the order with my credit card.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2010

At 10:15 a.m. on September 8, 2010, I picked up my Straight Talk phone to make a call only to find that my service had been deactivated. I immediately contacted them from my office phone to find out why, since I was told the month prior that I had until September 9, 2010 to use or replenish my pre-paid minutes. Once I got a representative on the line, I was informed that my account was scheduled to be deactivated on September 7, 2010 but had been extended until September 8, 2010.

The rep apologized for the misinformation I had been supplied previously and proceeded to restore my service. Once my service was restored by adding another $30 phone card, I was instructed to test my phone to see if it worked properly, it did, but what I didn't know was that Straight Talk had switched my phone number when restoring my service without my permission or knowledge and is now stating that my number is no longer available to me. I became irate because I had maintained the same phone number for more than fifteen years.

I was transferred to three different reps including a supervisor who spoke very little English and for the most part hadn't a clue as to what they were talking about. At one point, one of the reps stated that if I wanted my old phone number back, I would have to purchase a new phone card to reactivate my old phone number. I explained to her that I had been informed by three other reps that my old phone number was no longer with Straight Talk and questioned her statement, but was ready to forfeit the $30 phone card I had purchased earlier to recoup my old phone number.

Nevertheless, I was still skeptical and asked the rep to check one last time with her supervisor to make sure that what she was telling me was accurate. The rep placed me on hold, when she returned to the phone she stated, "I'm sorry, but my supervisor said your old phone number is no longer on our system, so we cannot reactivate it for you". I have dealt with many wireless carriers but Straight Talk is by far the worst. I really do question Wal-Mart's commitment to support such an inadequate and incompetent communication's company.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2010

The phone rings when it wants the keyboard locks. When it wants to turn off, when it wants sound, it does what it wants. Everything that Wal-Mart sells is the same. This is a pay as you go. Pay for 30 days and pay maybe 4 days before expiration for next month and you will lose 4 days of the month you are on. Wal-Mart is the only place you can buy this system or online. As far as I now know, all the phones I have seen or heard do not work. This phone service is unlimited talk, text, and web. Good luck getting on line. Their service is not unlimited.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2010

I purchased a straight phone from Walmart in July 2nd. I had the phone going on two months when it stopped working. I went to Walmart to see if I could exchange it. Well, Walmart has a 15-day return policy so I called straight to talk to costumer service. After talking for at least four hours, they agreed to send a replacement phone. This was two weeks ago. I’ve tried to get in touch with them with no luck. I called, but all I get is the run-around. I have $132.00 invested and know my phone is dead with no replacement. Is there some help you can give?

Original review: Aug. 26, 2010

In February of 2010, I purchased a straight talk phone and up until now was very pleased with the service. In August of 2010, I moved from East Tennessee to Cape Cod, MA and have tried unsuccessfully to get my number changed from 865 area code to a local area code (508 or 774). Since 8/16/10, I have spent over 6 hours on the phone with this company and all I have gotten is three (3) "work tickets" with reference numbers (one of which was closed down), and my number has been changed 5 times with still the 865 area code. Now they tell me that the phone will have to be deactivated and I will lose my new service plan which I just updated on 8/19/10. This is not acceptable, yet they keep apologizing for the "inconvenience". Why don't they fix the problem instead of apologizing all the time? As a result of not having a local area code, I have lost job opportunities, my family and friends can't contact me, all because my number keeps changing almost daily. Help please!

Original review: Aug. 18, 2010

I have a prepaid wireless cell phone through Straight Talk. I paid for 1000 prepaid minutes and they cut my phone off with 540 minutes remaining and I had several days before my renew date. I requested a copy of calls because my phone said I had 9 hours of time left and they refused to give this to me. I was told that a government official notarized request had to be submitted for me to be able to obtain a copy of my phone usage. Considering that they refuse to let me see the usage of my number that I have paid for and cut my phone off when I am sure I had minutes that were paid for in advance is my complaint.

How can they not provide me with my usage when I am in doubt of the time used? This company is totally incompetent with foreigners that are reading from a script and not trained to handle customer needs. The fact that Walmart is representing this company as a product they back up is completely deceiving of what you are actually getting. Employees of Pensacola, FL Walmart has told me the company has lied, has stolen minutes from customers, and is totally unequipped to handle the volume of new customers coming in. They told me that they expressed customers' dissatisfaction to corporate Walmart and asked that Walmart intervene but nothing has been done about it.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2010

I purchased a phone on February 2, 2010. I had it for 2 months and my phone shuts off on me. It erases my missed calls. I have not been able to put minutes on my phone since May of this year. I have also been calling the phone number to complain for months. I was told a 15-minute hold time and sat there for 2 hours. When I didn't have my phone, I didn't know my family member got sicker and ended up with a feeding tube. I would like my phone replaced and I shouldn't have to buy a new one because of this problem. Thank you.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2010

I needed a Straight Talk card for my phone. I drove 25 miles to get one and you didn't have any. I had to drive home and then back again to get one! There is many times I go to Wal-Mart and you don't have what I need. In the automotive division, you are much more expensive then Fleet Farm or Menard's. I also have waited up to 15 minutes to check out, is my time worth nothing?

Original review: Aug. 6, 2010

I have been trying to download special ringtones for people with hearing problems who use hearing aids devices in my family. They need to listen to the phone when it rings. So far, the response and service I am getting from Straight Talk are horrible. They don't seem to have qualified service people or help representatives. They are all wasting my time instead of letting me go to work and feed the family.

Got my first phone and it did not work. Then upgraded to another phone: LG620G. Had to call twice to get the new phone activated (31 minutes and 47 minutes). Lost over one hour work. Today called to ask about connecting my LG620G to a computer via USB cable (so I can transfer the MP3 files needed for the people with impaired hearing). Three phone calls were made. The first was 19 minutes then they hung up on me. The second was 34 minutes and I ended up with a guy who asked me to hang up and call again from another landline phone.

The third lasted with a girl who is not very knowledgeable about cell phones and spent 27 minutes, most of which were kind of "Please give me 3 minutes to configure this out for you, sir." She also told me if the computers (I tried 3 different computers) cannot recognize their phone, Straight Talk cannot help me (great deal, nice shot!). Finally she said she couldn't hear me and I got the hangup after 27 minutes. Here, I lost another hour and half of work time. If Straight Talk cannot handle the business, Wal-Mart should cut them off

Original review: Aug. 5, 2010

I cannot believe how bad this phone service has been. Our calls are dropped constantly, the data signal is always being lost, and even our text messages have started to not go through. When we purchased the first straight talk phone for our family, the service wasn't too bad, considering the price of the plans. We were lulled into a false sense of security, and we purchased two more phones. However, the service has been getting worse and worse. It has gotten so bad that we are switching back to one of the big three wireless providers. Not sure which one yet, but anything will be better than straight talk.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2010

On July 23rd, I purchased a Straight Talk Phone and a $45.00 unlimited calling card from WalMart. I cancelled my Straight Talk phone, July 31, after having it only one week. I was never able to use the phone because it dropped all calls incoming and outgoing. I have spoken with Straight Talk reps until I am blue in the face. I sent more than a dozen e-mails. No one could or knew how to correct the problem. I returned the phone and the $45.00 card to WalMart today, August 1st. WalMart refunded the money for the phone but refused to refund the $45.00 for the card. WalMart has to be a willing party to this scam by Straight Talk. It's shameful that WalMart would stoop this low, but at WalMart, the almighty dollar rules.

Original review: July 31, 2010

When I tried to reload my phone (before my service plan lapsed), Straight Talk claimed that the phone number that I had was not mine even though they had given it to me. I had been using that number for a month! They changed my number without my consent after agreeing to give me the same number that I had. Four hours I was on the phone with their customer service and no help. Their customer service absolutely ** and their main company TracFone was no help either.

Original review: July 28, 2010

I recently dropped AT&T cell phone service because of the high price of cellular service and bought myself a Straight Talk phone and a $45.00 card. I have had nothing but trouble with the service. They have terrible reception and too many dropped calls to count. Their customer service is a joke. I am giving Straight Talk until my time runs out and going back to AT&T. It doesn't matter how low Straight Talk's prices are, if you can't use their product, you're wasting your money.

Original review: July 27, 2010

Bought a Samsun r451c through Straight Talk at Christmas. Loved it. Then 6 weeks ago it went haywire. So through a truly painful process Straight Talk sent me a new r451c. That phone is now acting up (No incoming. Last time, it was no outgoing!) I am at the end of my rope! I have spent money, many, many, many hours, and a total lack of connection and still no satisfaction! Prior to this I had been sending letters of praise to Straight Talk. I literally feel ill over this. Is this some kind of medieval torture? $100 phone not worrying for over 6 weeks off and on 2- $30 phone cards losing time because the phone doesn't work 5+ hours of personal time with Straight Talk customer service trying to fix this. I feel ill and was so upset the other day. This is my only phone. I just had a total meltdown.

Original review: July 25, 2010

I purchased an html phone from the Straight Talk website with a 30-day trial period. I couldn't view videos. So, I called tech support and was not dealing with people who knew what the phone could or could not do. I found out, after hours with tech support, that the phone could not play videos, which is why I got the phone. I sent it back within the 30-day period and was told to wait 60 to 90 days for a refund ($325.00). After 90 days, I called to find out what happened and spent hour after hour with them giving the tracking number and my number over and over.

They said they would elevate it to corporate. They said they would call or email. They never did and I called my credit card company and complained. It was beyond the refund period because I waited 90 days for the refund. They said they would contact Straight Talk and see if they could help. My credit card company said that they got a response that said they would elevate it to corporate and that they would contact me about my refund that’s been due for 6 months now. Those were the same lies they told me 3 months ago. I called them and they said call back. Now the call won't even connect. I still use Straight Talk as my provider. But I have been lied to and as of now, they stole my money. I don't know what else to do.

Original review: July 22, 2010

On the 14th of July 2010, I ordered a Motorola W385C Straight Talk phone from Straightalk.com. It arrived yesterday, July 20th, 2010. I charged the phone and then activated it with the $45 monthly plan card. All seemed well. I made the initial test phone call that is required following activation. The call went through and there were no problems. Here's where it gets good.

Knowing or thinking that my StraightTalk phone was working properly, I entered all the phone numbers from my prior phone’s address book. And then, I performed a mass text to give my friends and family my new number. Following sending, my phone started ringing uncontrollably and had message after message. It had duplicate delivery confirmations from each and every one of them! I sent 42 texts and had 42 delivery reports. It lit my phone up like the 4th of July!

It gets better. Those receiving my texts all said the same thing. They said that it appeared that their own phone had sent the text because the CB (call back) number displayed in the text message was their own number! So, I've got this phone that rings me immediately back with every outgoing text. Those receiving my texts think their own phone sent it to them, which makes a lot of people skitzo almost immediately. Over the course of multiple call backs to CS over 4 hours yesterday, they still kept trying to "fix" my phone via instructions to me (a walk-through) instead of simply offering to replace it. Today, I was on the phone with CS for 5 hours doing the same fix-it routine until "1" tech-representative finally handed me off to what I thought was a refund department.

Notice to All: Straight Talk does not refund cash nor refund any method of payment in regard to faulty phones. They will only replace with the same model and there is zero option of paying extra to upgrade to a different model phone. If you paid like I did for Next Day Air or FedEx 3-day shipping, your replacement phone will be sent via 3 to 5 day delivery.

Original review: July 21, 2010

Bought a phone from Wal-Mart. Tried to transfer port A tn from Cricket to straight talk on June 20th 2010. Still on July 21, its not completed. Now I have no phone for my business and the Cricket tn is not working nor is the straight talk tn. my landscaping business is DOA, thanks to the no phone at all due to this problem. Help! They keep saying port is almost completed, give them 3 hrs, but I am so upset. I wish I had never heard of this company as they are all ignorant apparently who cannot understand and do not care if they put me out of business!

Original review: July 19, 2010

I have copied and pasted two comments that I made on a different complaint board. I want as many people to be aware of what this company is doing

(First post from 12-27-2009). "In the support FAQs for transferring your current number to a Straight Talk phone, it says, "Your new Straight Talk will be ready to complete activation when your old phone stops working."

The old phone stopped working several days ago, and a Straight Talk representative told me that the number had already been switched to them. But I still haven't been able to activate the new phone. Instead, I keep getting the same message that says, "Your transaction cannot be completed at this time. Your telephone number is in the process of being switched between carriers. Please call 1-877-430-CELL (1-877-430-2355) from a landline phone to check on the status of your number transfer request."

When I called customer service, I was told that there were some "technical difficulties", but that the problem should be resolved within the next four hours. I called back after nearly twenty-four hours had gone by to see why the phone still couldn't be activated. A new representative told me she was going to put me on hold while she researched the problem. However, she must not have known how to place a person on hold, and I got to listen to her laughing and joking with other "workers" for the next 33 minutes while she "researched". When she did take me off "hold", she told me first that it would be another 72 hours before the phone could be activated. Then she changed her mind to 24 hours, then to 48, then to between 24-48 hours. She couldn't give me any reason for why the phone wouldn't work yet.

If the phone ever starts working, it still looks like a great deal cost-wise, but I pity anyone else who has to try to deal with their customer service, or complete lack of it. This is an update on my original post (Second post from 7-19-2009). I thought that we would probably be giving up a little bit on quality by switching to the Straight Talk phones from Wal-Mart just because of the price, but I had no idea the service could possibly be this bad. The internet that is available for the phones is a joke. All of our phones (my family has three different models, so it's not just one type of phone) lose signal so often that it's a miracle to ever actually see a complete page download. Most pages are not compatible with the browser on the phones anyway.

Voice calls are dropped constantly. I tried one day to have a conversation with my husband about a doctor's appointment, and the call was dropped five times in one four-minute period. On my model, the Samsung R451C, I have to stand perfectly still to keep from dropping calls, even shifting my feet can cause a dropped call. My husband and daughter are able to at least walk with their phones. We haven't been able to pinpoint any particular thing that makes their phones drop calls. It just happens to them for no reason at different times and in different places, a lot.

The only thing that we can rely on to work is the text messaging, and our daughter is the only one who really uses that. Also, all of our phones are constantly getting text messages from Straight Talk trying to convince us to switch from the $30 'All you Need' plan to a more expensive unlimited plan. We never even come close to using the minutes, text or data on the plan, so why would we want to spend more?

The customer service is a mess too. I mentioned some of how bad it is in my previous post. I would strongly discourage anyone who is considering this service. I know the price seems great, but the service is so bad, it's just not worth the savings.

Original review: July 16, 2010

I've been trying to get my Straight Talk phone activated/programmed since I bought it. I keep getting the runaround from the Straight Talk representatives whom, I suspect, are located in India (outsourcing) because of their obvious accents. This company got almost $100 of my money and I now don't have a phone! I am elderly and on a fixed income and need the phone in case of emergencies. I filed a complaint with the FCC and urge anyone who has problems with Straight Talk to do the same. The FCC will shut them down if they get enough complaints.

Original review: July 11, 2010

I purchased a phone from Wal-Mart, a Straight Talk wireless phone for about $150, which included a $45 unlimited use phone card on May 14, 2010. Two weeks after purchase, my phone was stolen. I called the company to ask them to shut off or suspend the usage of the card. They offered to credit me the unused 29 days or suspend the service until I purchased another phone. I told them to suspend the service and I would buy a new phone when my monthly pension check came in.

My phone was found and returned to me yesterday (7/9/2010). I called customer service to have my unused days on my card reinstated. They told me that my phone was never turned off and all the usage days were used up. After speaking with many "supervisors" in this company, it became apparent to me that I was caught in an infinite loop with Straight Talk's customer "no service. " I will never receive a credit for my lost 29 days because the company failed to stop the service when I reported the loss. They admit they have documentation to show that I called reporting the theft, but they are unwilling to make up for their deficiency to deactivate the air time days.

I am not sure what recourse I have about this, but I feel this company is grossly incompetent serving its customers or is consciously defrauding customers they never intend to "make whole" after experiencing a loss. As a result, I plan to call consumer advocate Clark Howard for his advice in going forward with this matter of lost, unrefunded card usage. I plan to write the Consumer Protection Agency, the State Public Service Commissioner, the FCC, Straight Talk CEO, Wal-Mart executives, the local WalMart store manager where this phone was purchased. I will follow up in Small Claims Court in Camden County, GA if necessary.

This seems like a lot of frenzied activity for what seems to be a small amount of money, but this is how Straight Talk manages their resources. "No Service" is actually a business strategy. I want to do whatever I can to have my air time restored. I also want to discourage dishonest business practices towards small consumers by large corporations such as Straight Talk, Inc who practice taking advantage of their customers with corporate ineptitude and/or dishonesty. This has quit being a matter of monetary loss and has become a matter of principle. Large corporations should not have a comfort level in running rough shod over their customers and taking unfair advantage of them in such a deplorable fashion. Straight Talk, Inc should not be sanctioned and allowed to transact business with merchants who allow shoddy, dishonest customer service and condone it with their support, their silence, and their continued "wink and nod" business.

Original review: July 9, 2010

I have been buying Straight Talk cards for $45.00, which should cover 30 days of service. Each time, the cards would expire in approximately three weeks. I thought I was just writing the wrong expiration dates in my records, though today I looked closely and noticed that the cards are only lasting around 20 days. I pulled out my records of transaction IDs, etc. and called customer service. I explained that when I tried to call out today, a recording stated that I was out of minutes and that I needed to refill. I went ahead and refilled it, though the expiration date was supposed to be July 17, 2010; not today, July 9, 2010. Their only response to me was this: "Sorry that happened to you; is there anything else we can help you with today?"

Wow, I was just shocked to hear that they did not even care that this is happening to their customer every month. I then told them this was false advertisement and it seemed like a scam, though I thought how could this company be a scam if Wal-Mart was promoting them? They still said there was nothing they could do and told me to have a nice day. I now have no choice but to return this phone to Wal-Mart and switch to another service this weekend, because Straight Talk is conducting unfair and untrustworthy business.

I will be reporting them to the Better Business Bureau as well, in order to protect others. The customer service rep placed me on hold and came back to say that her supervisor refused to give any credit back for all the weeks the company had cut from the $45.00 30-day unlimited card, which only turned out to be a three-week card. This company has no integrity whatsoever. How can they be allowed to stay in business with such a reputable company as Wal-Mart?

Original review: July 8, 2010

I have had my straight talk phone for approximately 6 months. I purchase an unlimited plan, each month for $45.00, which is suppose to be valid for 30 days.

Problem 1. If I purchase my plan in advance, it resets my account balance and service end date. This means I am not getting the full 30 days of service that I originally paid for, if I purchase a new plan in advance.

Problem 2. Today, July 8, 2010, I waited and purchased my new service plan on my end date, getting my money's worth, so I thought. I paid the $45.00 for unlimited 30 days. I printed my receipt, but my service was not updated. In fact, I am on the phone with their tech support team as I type this complaint. I have been on the phone for over 1/2 an hour. The woman continues to put me on hold, tells me "I am navigating the system for you, please continue to hold." I have answered the same question a dozen times and still no help. I believe they are attempting to make me so angry that I end the call, but I refuse to do that. I want what I paid for. Still on hold.

I am out $45.00 for the service plan I just purchased with my debit card. I use the phone for business so I am missing important business calls. I am getting very frustrated with being asked to repeat the same thing over and over to their tech support person. I have a headache from this frustration & I'm still on hold. When I pay for 30 days of service, shouldn't I get 30 days of service?

Original review: July 6, 2010

On June 4 2010, I ordered an LG290c phone on the internet from Straighttalk. On June 8 2010, the phone came but the battery was wrong one in the phone bundle. Went online to air my problem to Straighttalk. It took five tries to get the problem that I was having. They said to send it back and they will send out new phone bundle. So I did. I sent phone, charger, all instructions, a $45 unlimited card. On june28 2010, they sent new phone out but no prepaid $450card. So went back online to tell them with the new problem but no answer. On July 5 2010, I went on the internet to activate the phone but had to purchase another $45 unlimited card. We also wanted to keep our old phone number so they contacted our phone company and turned our old phone off. Now we are without any phone! They didn't say we would be without any phone at any time. My wife and myself are on S.S and are over 66 years old. If any one can help us, please. No phone, out $90 for two unlimited 30 day cards and no way to call for help. Can't get calls in from anyone. Spent hours on line sending e-mail to Straihgttalk with no answers.

Original review: July 5, 2010

I tried downloading a ringtone (DJ Tiesto, Feel It) one day for $2.99. Error 500 popped up. I figured, something just went wrong this time, my card isn't going to get charged. In the past with other companies, something like this has happened and my card didn't get charged, or my phone. I tried it again and again, error 500 popped up. Before downloading again, I did check my card and sure enough, the $2.99 was deducted twice. For over a month, I fought with customer service on getting a refund or getting the ringtone. Finally, a lady told me that I would have to try re-booting my phone and downloading the ringtone again.

It was like having my card charged again? She said that it wouldn't be charged if the ringtone downloaded. I said, I've been trying to get it downloaded already and you guys haven't done anything. She said it because their computers show it downloaded twice. I said, "Why would I keep calling about a ringtone?" I finally gave up, but they are not getting anymore of my money. The only reason they have my business as it is because they are the only unlimited cheap phone. I lost $5.98 and a ringtone.

Original review: July 4, 2010

I confirmed with agent at Wal-Mart that I could return the phone before I purchased it. Got the phone home, no coverage. Called back because I was "required" to put in my credit card number in order to see if I had service here. I called 5 minutes after the failed activation. They said the Wal-mart store would remove the charges from my card. I knew this was crap.

Called again the next morning after a 50.00 charged showed up on my ATM, not credit mind you, POS withdraw. l they took the cash immediately! I called again and complained. One girl told me I was out of luck. I couldn't understand the language she was speaking. I think it was Chinese but I'm not sure. I told her I never used the phone it wouldn't work in my area and I was going to return it. She said you can't get your money back. I asked for a supervisor, the super got on the phone confirmed my info and then told me I couldn't have my money back even though I never used it. She said hold on for one moment and then I was left on hold for 15 minutes, then they hung up!

Original review: July 1, 2010

On may 30, 2010 I purchased a Straight Talk LG 290C cellphone from Walmart, along with a $30.00 activation plan card. The phone and activation went smoothly. The phone worked well until June 17, 2010 when I called Straight Talk customer service, and explained to then that the phone won't keep a full charge. After several attempts to reset the phone without success, I insisted on them replacing my phone and be credited the time that I was unable to use my phone. Eleven days later, I got replacement phone and they told me on June 28, 2010 and it took till June 30, 2010 to get it activated. They activated it with the wrong number when I was told I'd still be able to port my initial number onto replacement phone.

July 1, 2010, I call Straight Talk Customer service again to have my old number ported onto replacement phone and operator tells me that if they do that I'd have to buy an activation card. I went off telling her that I was to be credited for my inconvenience, which they did by giving me a full 30days activation. Now I'm told by this idiot that I have to pay. Well, he had to put me in touch with someone in tech support and being placed on hold longer then I spent time talking to the tech, he tells me the numbers can't be ported. Before hanging up I asked him, "How is it you can port a phone number from another carrier onto a Straight Talk phone but you can't port a number you just issued me 30 days ago?" It just doesn't make sense. It's obviously Straight Talk is outsourcing their help. Reading from a manual clueless as to what they are reading. They really need to be looked into.

My cellphone is my business phone more so then personal phone. I'm on call at jobs and rely on my phone working properly at all times. Because of the inconvenience Straight talk put me through,I lost several hundred dollars in income. Also with both the delay in processing my replacement phone and not being able to port my old number many resumes I put out using original number, will not be able to contact me , and now I have to send letters out to them updating and apologizing for any inconvenience they may had in trying to contact me. Trying to save money after being with a national cellphone service carrier for 6+ years is not worth it. I'll probably end up going back to them.

Original review: June 11, 2010

On May 28, 2010, I bought a Straight Talk cell phone and a $30 minute card. I tried for hours to get it programmed, but with no luck. I went back to WM and got another card to see if that would work. It didn't either. So the next day, I took all 3 back. I got the money for the phone, but I was told they couldn't refund the money for the card. I would have to call the 800 number on the back of the card. I bought another phone and another card. I did get that phone to work.

I called the company 800 number for several days with no luck. I finally got to talk to someone. She said I had to have called them within 7 days for a refund. Why didn't the 3 people I talked to at the store tell me this? All I wanted was store credit or a gift card for $60. I go to this store 1 or 2 times a week. Is Wal-Mart poor now? I know they can afford $60. I only work part-time, and I want to be reimbursed. The customer service girl said they have had a lot of problems with Straight Talk phones. So we just suck up the price we pay for the cards? I want my money back. I am out $60 from a store that is rich.

Original review: June 9, 2010

I spent approx $250 ordering a new phone and 3 months of service directly from Straight Talk and cannot get the phone to work. Three days and counting, all I've been told is that my PIN is no good (it's the PIN they sent with the phone), and then they said it's a network problem and they'll have it fixed in 24 hours. I waited 24 hours -- still nothing. I still haven't been assigned a phone number. I called back again and this time they hung up on me. As near as I can tell, when I call Straigh tTalk (I have to use a friend's phone to call them), I get put on with someone from India. It's three days now; I've used up all my minutes on my old phone, and now I have nothing. Straight Talk is a piece of garbage. I'd be better off with two cans and a piece of string.

Straight Talk Wireless Company Information