Miami, FL

3.4/5 (414 ratings)

About Straight Talk Wireless

Straight Talk is a no-contract phone plan that shares networks with four major cellphone service providers. It doesn’t restrict people to long-term contracts, and it offers nationwide coverage and more data plans with flexible payment options.

Pros

• Affordable options
  • Add-on features available
  • No contracts

Cons

• Data can be slow
  • No family plans

Bottom Line

Straight Talk offers basic cellphone coverage and the option to purchase discounted phones or keep your current phone. There are no contracts and no hidden fees.

Straight Talk Wireless Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Straight Talk Wireless?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Straight Talk Wireless?

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

The customer service and the readiness to help the customer is horrible. I wouldn't suggest anyone waste their time or money with this company. I will be canceling my service soon. They say that you're getting a discount but they tax you so much you don't see that discount.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

Check the number that your voicemail goes to. I have reported this to Straight Talk several times and then one day I ended up calling 6 times to report that my voicemail does not go to my phone number and I only found this by chance. They were unable unwilling to help me. I've tried to delete this 248 number several times and it still comes up. I have no idea who it's going to or why but it goes to somebody in Saudi Arabia. I've been able to trace it to the fact that it is foreign. No one has done anything called me back to see if it is solved. It is not solved.

Every time I want to go to my voicemail I have to key in the number. I can't hit the number one to get to it or it goes to this phone number. I've asked for help. I've asked them to do something about this. Change my voicemail number and let me know what it is but oh no not one single person has called me back about this. It would appear to me that this would be illegal. Now the question is what number is your voicemail going to. It should go to your phone number. It should not go to a foreign number in Saudi Arabia.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

CONTACT ME IF YOU HAVE BEEN PAYING OVER THE PHONE, WHERE YOU NO LONGER GET THE OPTION TO NOT SAVE YOUR CARD. It violates banking laws every time you pay. One felony every purchase. I want a group lawsuit to hold a company accountable that depends on USA but refuses to follow the laws and uses India so they do not worry about jurisdiction. You sell in the USA, your our jurisdiction. What if we all worked together. Anyone want easy money? You deserve it since your rights are being violated by India and their USA masters that are not untouchables. Let's show them!

Beau ** from Hickory, NC is me. I own ** and have a law firm with my name on it and 40 attorneys. My dad was federal judge. I'm ready, but it's gonna take a village. They lost their data lawsuit, where your plan recently got more data unannounced. They are not accredited by anybody. They save your banking info automatically. That is illegal without permission or contract.

I called 12 times to say, "Do not save my info. It's a violation of US laws." They admitted it was a crime and claimed I consented. They told me 3 times today they erased my card and hung up in me. Still not erased. Was told 4 years ago after being identity thieved to erase and never save personal info. The automated doesn't give the option not to. That is very illegal. They told me 4 years ago it was erased and every month I repeat. Russians have my info again.

My cards from 5 years ago were saved along with my current. I told them the situation. They erased it and hung up after asking what info they collect on me. Called back. Cards still saved. Demanded it be erased. Called back. Cards still on file. The employees don't commit fraud. They copy your info and sell to Russia. That way there is no trace. I have tracked down the entire process. I'm homing in on employee, who will not get in any trouble being in India. Let me warn you before you end up on the hook for 150000. How do I know? We own a law firm with I.T. security experts that designed firewalls for CIA. Also Straight Talk is the only company with those card numbers. I pay all in cash.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

After purchasing a plan online like I normally do they are telling me my phone will not work for 2-4 hours. This has never happened. I spoke with 3 different people and they could not fix this. The 3rd person actually told me to hang up the phone... They took my money already from my account so they got their money but I never got my service. I asked to speak to a manager and was told the same thing I would have to wait 2-4 hours for my phone to work. They are very unreliable and are not here for their customers' satisfaction but are only here for the money! I would rather pay 200$ for a working service than ever deal with Straight Talk again. Runarounds and zero satisfaction is what you will be left with when it's all said and done. Make sure you have money to flush down the toilet when dealing with this service because that's what happens in the end.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2018

Bought a Verizon phone at 8am and was told by Straight Talk to get a BYOP kit from Wal-Mart so I went to Wal-Mart and spent $48.02 on the kit and called them back after an hour and speaking to 5 different people and hung up on 3 times when they said they were transferring me to the higher up. After calling back and 3 people later I get told my new SIM card is for my old phone (It's never been in that phone). After 3 people trying to blame me saying I put it in my old phone and activated it then another person (the manager told me they apparently screwed up and activated it for my old phone so after them finally admitting it was their fault they told me I still need to buy another sim card.

I asked for a refund and was denied and he told me after I buy another kit then call them back. It's now 5 pm and still no luck and I can't use the sim card in my old phone cause they put it on a phone I had 3years ago which I don't even have. Worst company ever. Do not use them. I'm posting this everywhere untill they refund me. I WAS WITH THEM FOR 18 MONTHS! I was literally on the phone all day from 8 am to 5 pm. So now I'm stuck with the kit and lost out on $48.02. It's not much to them but it's a lot for people who dont really have it to spend.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2018

I paid 70.00 for gigabytes. I was told that would last 60. After 4 days they claimed I used them all and if I wanted more I would need to pay them 70.00 more for 20 hrs of service. They are the worst con artist of any company I have ever dealt with. Shame on them.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

Straight Talk will sell you a phone with an outdated OS. And then when app start to malfunction you discover that the phone has been blocked from receiving OS updates by Straight Talk. They do this to force you to buy another phone and a high retail price. They are Crooks, thieves and they steal your money. I have now to paperweights because I cannot update the OS. Beware and I repeat beware do not let the monthly fee. You were throwing your money away when you buy a phone with a Straight Talk plan. I do not understand how they can legally operate this way but I have just become a victim. Lesson learned. Stay away from Crooked Talk!

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

I have been a Straight Talk Home Phone customer for several years. We got the first home phone service for my dad when he was in a nursing center. Liking it, I decided to buy another for my own home phone and cut my cable company's phone service. The service works fine for me. It is on the Verizon side of the cellular spectrum so I get a great signal at my house. So I can't complain about that part of the service.

Knowing it would be better to sign up for autopay, that's what I did so I wouldn't have to buy phone cards at Walmart. I get a monthly email telling me it is time to be renewed, then another once they deduct the fees. So far, no issues with autopay at all. When you sign up for autopay, Straight Talk gives you loyalty or rewards points. You can use those points to buy plans for your cellular service. Here's the hitch; you CANNOT use those points for their home phone service. They are only good on their monthly mobile phone plans. I have around 6,000 rewards points for being with them for years... and they are worthless.

When I asked Straight Talk to explain why I couldn't use my points for service on my home phone, no one could provide me with an answer other than to say no, it doesn't work that way. Nowhere on their website does it say you cannot use your rewards points for home phone service. I had to call and I finally got an answer. And while I have family members who use Straight Talk mobile phone service, they (the company) will not allow me to transfer my points to them to use. In other words, I have all these worthless points for being a loyal customer and there isn't a thing I can do about it.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

I open an account with SmartPay from Straight Talk on 10/30 and ordered my phone (I've had an account with Straight Talk long before this) and I get an email stating that they charge EVERY 30 Days and in that email it says that also, but then states that my payment will be auto drafted on 11/26. That is not 30 days but 27 days, I contacted SmartPay and they told me it goes by with you opened the SmartPay account which was again on 10/30 and it says everywhere the 30 days. They also showed me the full lease payment layout and NONE of the payments run for 30 days. The customer service is RUDE and the way they explain it is "well some months have 30 days and others have 31 days and then there is Feb. Which has 28 days". What does that have to do with them not going by the 30 days that they claim they will give you???

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

I had a fraudulent charge on my card which I do not have service with them. They told me they could not do anything. When I asked for a United States agent, they tried to make me talk to their supervisor which I was unable to understand him. I did understand when he told me he would not transfer me because they use the same line. I work in a call center and this is NOT true. I never have used this company and this experience confirms my decision not to. If I could give this company zero stars I would.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

To all victims of Hurricane Michael who uses Straight Talk... heed my advice. I'm a victim of Hurricane Michael and I unfortunately have Straight Talk service, and live where I only have 2 choices of providers because we are rural. Verizon is the other. I actually had no service until the 25th. Good luck on contacting a supervisor to obtain some credit. If you do and can understand what they are saying ask each person their name and badge number before they transfer you again and again. That way when the class action lawsuit gets underway you have detailed proof of your effort. Also keep track of times, duration and keep notes of what each one tells you. Also get a confirmation number that you called. Everyone I know will be switching to Verizon's service. Me included!

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

Phone line disconnects, cannot call out. Can not hardly understand people in call center. On phone for 48 minute and still do not have problem resolved. Have to wait 3 to 5 days for box to send back modem, 3 to 5 days sending back, 3 to 5 more day for new modem. Why pay for a month of service?

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

I was a victim of Hurricane Michael and my phone ran off of Verizon towers which were down for a significant amount of time. I was unable to reach any one until the 17th and not even from my own phone because my service was still not working. At first customer service reps tried to tell me I couldn’t be reimbursed because I had not reported the issue, but can someone please tell how I was supposed to get in contact with Straight Talk when I couldn’t even get a hold of my family? Days without speaking to family members and friends who I was worried about and who were worried about me.

I had reached someone who told me I would be reimbursed, but to contact them once my service was working properly. Just yesterday did my service finally begin to work correctly, and everyone I contacted told me they had no record of me reaching out to them on the 16th and 17th so there was nothing they could do. I have the screenshots, but apparently those can’t be verified (Insert Spongebob mimic meme here). Anyways, 50$ down the drain and I am so angry and I wish I knew how to file a lawsuit.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

During Hurricane Michael, most Straight Talk (Verizon) customers (including me) had terrible service. Customer service was absolutely no help with information as to whether or not we would get a financial break during this time. For almost 2 weeks I had very little to no service. I believe the customers affected by this hurricane should get some relief.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

I am a victim of Hurricane Michael. We live in Panama City Beach, Florida. We just experienced this Category 4 Hurricane on 10/10/18. Verizon lost some towers and Straight Talk is the service provider that uses Verizon. We have had no service until 17 Oct but spotty in the area even till today. I contacted Straight Talk on the 17th and talked to a supervisor and a supervisor above him and they told me that they could give me 7 days which is what I lost after I told them that Verizon was given their customers three months. I was going to be okay with just getting the seven days for me and my family for our phones but I was just charged yesterday which is my normal charge day the 28th of each month.

I called back today which is the 29th and talked to a supervisor and asked why I was not extended my 7 days like I was told. They had proof that I had called. They saw where I was transferred to a another manager but evidently the manager chose not to input my information into my account so I was declined getting my 7 days and told by this supervisor I was speaking to, that she was unable to do what the other Supervisor was going to do.

I've been with Straight Talk since 2009 when they had really crappy phones and I've grown with them since they've got really good phones. I like their service plan but I am completely blown away by their horrible customer service especially after this huge Devastation that we've had in our area and being unable to contact family members without having to drive 30 miles. The supervisor that I spoke to tonight was basically calling me a liar saying that, "Well if they would have said they were giving you the seven days it should be in their history but it's not there." Bottom line is I will be leaving Straight Talk after my current month is up and I'm hopefully able to find a better or another service prior to having to refill my family’s phones.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

I recently purchased a phone and a $55 Unlimited Service card. The next morning I tried to return the phone to Walmart. Was told I could return the phone but would lose the usage of my unlimited service card. This is fraud. Buy something for 30 days of service and told that if you return phone you lose the service. Filed a complaint with Better Business Bureau and they responded ONE time stating they needed to speak to me in person. These people can barely speak English and each person tells a different story. Bottom line is that their customer service department is a scam. I would avoid this company at all times. They are literally taking advantage of the American people and they operate this fraudulent scam from an offshore ship. FACT.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

I had a very bad experience with buying a new cellphone from Straight Talk for an existing account with them. They sent me an invitation for a product review which I take to mean the whole experience. Note I was advised by Straight Talk not to mention any customer service issues. However a review is only as good as its whole experience. The review I posted was declined by Straight Talk for publication due to issues - Their reply: "Our staff has read your review and values your contribution even though it did not meet all our website guidelines. Thanks for sharing, and we hope to publish next time!" Below is the actual review, which is a calm (now) & factual account of my recent experience.

My submitted Review: Phone is now great - at last. "I really enjoy the phone, great price. Did not work correctly out of the box (text & volume issues); Straight Talk CS had one thing to test - 5 reps had me do it 5 times - had to start from zero each time - had me wait a day between two to see if it worked; last tech stated that the reps "had no knowledge of troubleshooting the issue on the phone" they sold me; manager refused to give me US number to call; Got to Apple - two days to fix - trial & error - another three CS rep & I day seeing if the changes took effect... Love the phone, lower opinion of Customer Service. Encouraged not to write about this experience with CS & contact the instead for this review... Whole story IS needed for other consumers to decide from whom & what to buy." Everyone makes mistakes, it is how you react to them that counts.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

This company is awful! I am a victim of Hurricane Michael. We here in Panama City, Florida experienced this Category 4 Hurricane on 10/10/18. Verizon lost a major fiber so as this is the service provider that uses Verizon, we have had no service. Straight Talk STILL charged for the full service month as an auto renewal and when contacted, is not offering ANYTHING to help those affected and had NO SERVICE AND CONTINUE TO HAVE INTERMITTENT SERVICE! Needless to say, they won't get another dime of my money!

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

Straight Talk is a fraud. They advertise "unlimited 4G data", but it is really very limited and heavily throttled. I pay $55/month for the highest-class "unlimited 4G data" plan, and I am getting about 1/4 of a G. No way do they keep their promises. Today, my data rate started at 130 KB/sec, but after a while they cut it down to 33 KB/sec, then to 20, then 18, then 12, and now it's 9. All of yesterday, it was 5, and didn't improve until 11:30PM. They even throttle at 2AM when you have no competition for bandwidth.

What is most maddening is that you can start a download and it says, "2 hours to finish." But halfways through, they cut the data rate in half, so that it's still 2 hours to finish. Then halfway through that, they cut the data rate in half again, so it's still 2 hours to finish. It's like trying to walk to the horizon. The goal keeps receding in front of you as you approach it. It is impossible to watch YouTube videos at such slow data rates, or even to listen to streaming music. It starts and stops and stutters, and takes up to an hour to download a 5-minute video. Find an honest phone company.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

After three months of no internet or data they put you on hold for hours and tell you lies that it is fixed and still no internet or data. They charge you for this coverage and steal the money from you.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

Refills are awkward at best. Customer service stinks. After 10 months and multiple calls to customer service for help the device won't turn off at the switch nor the reboot button inside the battery case. Was hung up on 3x. Was taken through the same diagnostic by 5 separate people including a manager. Was told not to remove the battery. Finally removed it anyway and it reset. They said, "Glad we could help." Ah no you didn't. It's slow and the 5 Gigs go way too fast for just checking email and a couple sites. No videos or Facebook even. It's going in the trash and I'll figure out something else.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

I corrected in multiple occasions the Straight Talk supervisor who addressed as ma’am instead of sir. With a funny voice she told me: "I am sorry ma’am but you sound like a ma’am At my end that is why I get confused." A supervisor omitted my multiple rectifications? I told her more than six times I was a man to address me as sir. I have felt very humiliated, depressed and totally treated with no respect and dignity for this company. I am contemplating another company whose standards and values are more aligned with mine. This company is totally disrespectful and its call center in India is one of the worse services that I have received. It is understandable that with a US salary for one person they can pay the entire call center in India, but you rather sacrifice money for quality? I am leaving today with the most and dislike feeling. Your supervisor brought me down as she thought that her comment was funny.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

I moved to a different state and to an area that my previous cell carrier didn't cover. So I decided to try Straight Talk and told the service associate what I was trying to do. The instructions on the SIM card pack instruct you to choose the SIM card that is compatible with your previous cell carrier. What they don't tell you is you are going to use that carrier's towers. I wasted hours in the first month with customer service trying to figure out why I couldn't get reception not to mention the money I spent on the prepaid card. Finally a supervisor told me that I needed to change SIM cards to use a different carrier's towers but nobody told me I needed to keep the other SIM cards that came with the activation pack.

He refused to send me a replacement. By this time I had purchased a second month's card. Money wasted again. I asked to speak with the supervisor's boss and he told me that was not possible. That it is their policy to say that the customer cannot escalate an issue higher than him. So those of you who think they want you to give up are right. They have customer service divided into different departments and nobody knows what the other department is doing. So far I have found that there is a customer service department, port department, supervisor department and manager department.

It doesn't matter how much you try to report the ridiculously bad customer service because every department says that they are sorry but let's move on to try to fix the phone. Which they didn't. And they say they can't offer refunds. I had to give up a phone number I have had for 16 years because of their ridiculous policies. You can't have a conversation because they read from scripts and repeat the same words over and over. You get what you pay for. It is better to just pay for service from a reputable cell phone company.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

Hello, on 9/29/18 I contacted Straight Talk Wireless to add minutes to a Iphone that I already had. I gave the rep the SIM card number and my debit card information. She then told me that the phone was activate and that I would get another call just to see how the phone was working. When I got the call back I let the lady know that the phone was still not working. She then advised me that the SIM card that I had was not for the Straight Talk and that I had to buy their SIM card. She also told me that the minutes that I bought were placed on someone else account and that once I get the SIM card in the mail to call back and they would add activate my SIM card plus put the minutes that I already bought onto my SIM card. She gave me a note number **. Also a order number for the SIM card **.

When I called into Straight Talk on 10/4/18 I let them know that I just received the SIM card and gave them the note number that was given to me on 9/29. The gentleman told me that the number I gave him didn't pull up anything. I then asked to speak with a manager. The gentlemen didn't now want to hear anything that I had to say and told me that I was lying. I then asked to speak with another manager. She was then able to pull up my info. Added the minutes but then said that it showed that my phone was active from 9/29. I advised how could my phone have been active when I just got the SIM card on 10/4.

I then gave her the tracking number from UPS (**). She then said, "Oh okay." She sees it and then said that I would have to call them back to get more minutes placed on my phone after my minutes run out. I asked her, "Why would I have to call back when you guys can just place the minutes on my phone?" And I also asked, "When the first rep took the SIM card why didn't she tell me that the SIM card didn't work instead of still taking my payments?"

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

I used their cell service for a few years. It started as 45.00/flat for unlimited everything. In time though they started adding additional taxes etc to the cost. The reception was always pretty good, and I used the phone all along the east coast of the US. I did however have issues with receiving voice mail, that they were never able to help me with.

I am only giving 2 stars because their tech support is horrible!!! Once in a while I could get someone who I could actually understand (Many of the people I spoke to had very thick Indian accents). Also, not only hard to understand, but often incompetent as well. I switched my service right at the beginning of a billing cycle and they had just charged my credit card and would not refund me the money, so I had to dispute the charge with my credit card company. Bottom line - I would not recommend using this company. There are a lot of other comparable deals these days with the major carriers, with much better tech support.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

Had full service for 8 months with auto Bill pay. They shut off service due to non payment but was mistaken since I had auto Bill pay and made the payment. After 3 different operators whose English was horrible, they admitted they made a mistake and re-instated my service. But, they took my phone number away from me during the shut off, and could not give it back. They said I should be happy since they were giving me a brand new number for free. It takes a long times to tell all your contacts about your new number while all they get is a recording of number no longer in service. They could care less about their customers. All they want is money.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

Yes, customer service is horrendous. Luckily, I only tried them a couple of times over about 3 years, so the less you need them, the better your experience. Customer service appears to be worked out of India, where the quality of the analysts are quite poor, and worse yet, they have a habit of disconnecting calls when they can't resolve your issue.

The above said, the service is reasonable for an unlocked BYOP where I was able to use my iPhone 6 reliably for years. I did run into a problem with no data on vacation, but typically, my service was reliable... but s..l..o..w! Just google Straight Talk data speeds. A recent review put them woefully behind every major competitor. It is noticeable, so keep in mind if you like to stream movies or anything else that requires a substantial amount of data.

Finally, I'm leaving them for Xfinity, since Xfinity offers current customers unlimited with 20 gb high speed data at same price that Straight Talk charges for 10 gb. They use the Verizon network, so I'm hoping that the data speed is good as well. I will say, though, that I used Straight Talk online chat to remove auto billing and for the first time, the customer service was great. So, just an FYI... maybe consider using online chat vs calling customer service in India - at least that one experience seemed to work well (assuming I don't get billed next month, of course).

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

Customer service with this business is absolutely horrendous. I can't stress it enough. We are talking worthless. Go to another company and save yourself the stress. They can't answer a question or help you to save their damn lives.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

I've had Straight Talk for over 4 years now. I enjoy my service. I get good reception and service. I get the 55 dollar plan and I use a lot of data since I live in the country and don't have access to WIFI. The only problem is I need a new phone BAD and I can't get the smart pay plan to work. It says there was a problem loading or we can't process you at this time. I believe I have good standing with Straight Talk. I'm in the auto refill plan so I’m not late paying. I just don't get what the problem is?

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

I have had their service for about 2 yrs now. The first phone I had magically stopped working shortly after buying it due to a faulty SIM card. They shipped me a new card free of charge, but it took about a week to come. They told me they do not offer overnight shipping, which is a lie. I am now on my third phone from them. I had this current phone for about a year and everything was fine until now. I recently paid my phone bill of about $50 last week. I was informed by one of their reps that this $50 will give me 4g service, which it has, up until last week when they billed me.

Ever since they took their payment my phone has been dropped to 3g. I can’t text or use the internet. I can only talk. I spoke with a customer service rep about the issue. He didn’t know how to solve the issue or why it happened. He sent me 2 long paragraphs, that he obviously copied and pasted, which stated regardless of paying for service there is no guarantee that you will actually get it. I am now out $50 and will have to spend more money on a new phone and service provider.

Straight Talk Wireless Company Information