Miami, FL

3.4/5 (414 ratings)

About Straight Talk Wireless

Straight Talk is a no-contract phone plan that shares networks with four major cellphone service providers. It doesn’t restrict people to long-term contracts, and it offers nationwide coverage and more data plans with flexible payment options.

Pros

• Affordable options
  • Add-on features available
  • No contracts

Cons

• Data can be slow
  • No family plans

Bottom Line

Straight Talk offers basic cellphone coverage and the option to purchase discounted phones or keep your current phone. There are no contracts and no hidden fees.

Top Straight Talk Wireless Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

In my experience and for my needs Straight Talk worked very well for me. The service was great and I never had an issue that caused any inconveniences. I would recommend this carr...

Verified

I always get great service and customer service is great. They also have a rewards program so you can earn points to get free monthly plans. I highly recommend straight talk as yo...

What is Straight Talk?

Straight Talk is a cellphone service provider that offers fixed and unlimited monthly plans. Customers can choose a month-to-month option or save money by opting for a three-, six-, or 12-month data plan.

Straight Talk is available through Walmart, but you can also purchase equipment and modify your plan through the Straight Talk website. You have the option of purchasing a phone through Straight Talk or transferring Straight Talk cellphone service on to your existing phone. The company offers a wide variety of phones, including budget phones that come free with a phone plan.

How does Straight Talk work?

Straight Talk works like most other major cellphone companies but doesn’t require long-term contracts. You can purchase the latest phones or keep your own to take advantage of the company’s clear and consistent nationwide coverage. Plans include unlimited talk and text and high-speed data. It offers four different service plans with different data and storage options. There are no credit checks, and you pick the plan and activate your account.

Straight Talk is ideal for people who want basic cell phone coverage, plan flexibility and an affordable price. Its slower data speeds may not work for people who use their phones for streaming.

How much is Straight Talk?

The appeal of Straight Talk is its flexibility and affordability. It offers the best smartphones on the market, some of which are sold at significantly discounted rates. There are five different plans to choose from that offer different data, speed, coverage and pricing options.

• Basic plan: $30 a month
  • 5 GB plan: $35 a month
  • 25 GB plan: $45 a month
  • Ultimate Unlimited: $55 a month
  • Unlimited International: $60 a month

There are no hidden fees with Straight Talk, and there is no cost to activate your plan. While Straight Talk does not have a specific family plan, it makes it easy to add lines to your existing service.

The company’s Two-Line Unlimited Nationwide coverage is $90 a month, but mobile hotspot data is not included. If you like your plan but feel like you're running through all of your data before the end of the month, you can purchase a 1 GB data add-on option for $5. This helps your unused balance roll over to the next service cycle. If you need more data, you can purchase a 2 GB data add-on option for $10.

Straight Talk FAQ

What's the catch with Straight Talk wireless?
While Straight Talk attempts to be transparent in their pricing and details, some plans that claim to be unlimited actually do have limits.
What cellular network does Straight Talk use?
Straight Talk uses the AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon and Sprint networks.
What are the pros and cons of Straight Talk?
Straight Talk does not have any long-term contracts and affordable plans, but some consumers report slow data speeds.
Are Straight Talk phones unlocked?
Straight Talk will unlock phones for current and former Straight Talk customers for free. There is a charge for this service for noncustomers.
Can I use my phone as a hotspot on Straight Talk?
Some phones on specific plans have hotspot capabilities.

Is Straight Talk good?

Straight Talk is ideal for cellphone users that do not want to commit to lengthy contracts. It offers a wide variety of smartphones and allows users to activate service on their current phones. Straight Talk is a reliable alternative to major cellphone providers.

Straight Talk Wireless Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Straight Talk Wireless?

Original review: Aug. 14, 2021

Reliable service is very important to me. Straight Talk has been my provider for 8 years, and I have always gotten the best price on data and the most reliable service. The coverage has been excellent. There have been many times where people whom I am with couldn't use their phones and they had to use mine. Aside from hardware issues (with the phone itself) I don't remember having any problems with the service. I always recommend Straight talk.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2021

All the years I've had this carrier. I've only had one disagreement with them. I ended up losing 3 weeks of prepaid service that I had paid for. I bought a new phone. Transferred my phone number. But less than 1 week later. My service was cut off. And had been less than one week since I bought the $90 prepaid card. That covers 2 of the $55 ultimate unlimited accounts. But I didn't save the pin numbers. The other line maintained its full month of service. But because I didn't keep the old pin number. Customer service told me that there was nothing that they could do to help me with the loss of the 3 weeks of service. So that was my bad experience.

As far as service coverage, reliability, clarity I have never had any complaints with Straight Talk. Always dependable coverage area. Always at the very least there has always been live customer support, when needed, 24 hrs. a day. Maybe a little difficult to fully understand the foreign dialect/accent at times. But they have always been there to talk to when needed. That by itself is saying a lot these days.

Get buying tips about Prepaid Phones delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2021

Straight Talk Wireless offers affordable terms and rates, quality merchandise with flexible purchase options, a variety of packages and services to meet wireless mobile and internet needs; and, has user-friendly online technology that adds a little fun while earning perks!

Original review: Jan. 1, 2021

The first time I tried Straight Talk, it didn't go well and I wrote a bad review. The review was accurate to my experiences then, however, I tried them again and now I really think their customer service has improved beyond my wildest imagination! Their product offering has also improved as they have added hot spot tethering to their services. I am happy to be with them.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2020

In 2013 my family was done with ATT so at that time I researched and for only one line and buying the brand new (at that time) iPhone 5 I would pay at the least amount but most likely more than $100 more over 2 years if I went with Verizon than if I 1st bought the phone then prepaid each month. This was not counting Verizon's extra fees (like if I was late paying a bill). I don't like to be wasteful nor over-consumptive so I went from original iPhone 3 (had used for at least 4 years at that time and it still turns on!) to the iPhone 5 which I'm STILL currently using so I can't even comprehend the amount I've actually saved beyond the original 2 years seeing how I'm on 7.75 years now.

I vaguely remember the initial set up was easy. I'm sure if I called Straight Talk I could continue to use this phone but they have been sending out notifications on how the towers/service is being updated and I need to get a new phone (even tho I made sure I got the iPhone 5 with LTE but just never had them turn it on because I live in a rural area) but I do need a new phone because I've run out of memory years ago so I am planning/researching the newest iPhone 12 and various carriers/plans/etc and came across this and decided I needed to chime in since I've used straight talk for so many years.

Living in rural northwestern Pa we only got better than spotty 1 or 2 bars of service In 1 upstairs bedroom about a year or 2 ago so I've really almost never been able to use a cell at my house except on wifi. Don't have to travel far tho to get signal and I would say I average at least several hours daily using cell service instead of wifi. There have only been 3 times I've had a problem with the service, which was the data all of a sudden wouldn't work, everything else still worked good but just wouldn't connect to internet or had no cell data.

The 1st time it happened (probably after about 2 years in) customer service gave me the run around trying to blame my phone so I had to drive 2 hours to Apple store to have them verify nothing was broke/wrong with the phone itself. In the end(after several calls over a few days) what they had to do was have me on the phone while they called Verizon to have Verizon reset my number with the towers, which I can only imagine the Verizon people giving them a terribly difficult time since yes they are terrible to try to understand because of their accents. I think what the problem was is that periodically Verizon updates their towers and my phone was turned off at my house since I didn't get service so it didn't automatically update.

Anyway the next time it happened I knew what the problem was so when I called in I "slowly" explained (making sure I didn't talk too fast so they could also understand me) that this had happened before (I had written down the dates/names/etc the 1st time it happened so idk if that helped) and how it was fixed and they still wanted me to like factory reset my phone but I just said ya I already had done that because I knew that's what I had to the 1st time even tho I hadn't and it only took 1 call this time and 1 the final time it happened so I actually had excellent experience with customer service the 2nd & 3rd times.

I think part of the problem is that when something isn't working with our phones we're already extremely frustrated but to add on this communication barrier really worsens the situation for ourselves because it's not that we just have a difficult time understanding them but they can't understand us either, so when I called the last 2 times I made sure I sounded extra friendly, not frustrated, made sure I was speaking very clearly and kinda slow so they had a much easier time understanding what I was saying. I never have experienced dropped calls or slowed data but I don't rely on it for constant internet access either so a few years back they came out with more plans around the number of Gb of data and pricing so I think I went from paying $45 to $35 now for the same thing.

From researching a little online I think there might be other prepaid companies like straight talk in my area that might be even cheaper but even tho there are several recent bad reviews for straight talk (many seem to be about trying to buy a phone thru their site which I wan't going to do anyway) I think I'm just going to stick with them seeing how over the years I can't even imagine how much money I've saved and I've hardly had any problems only had to contact them 3 times and the last 2 times were quite pleasant and helpful.

They also have a points program so every time you add a service plan you get so many points but you can also write reviews on social media/their site or watch commercials or play games for points which can be used to get a service plan or towards a new phone. I've seen no mention of their rewards program. It's too difficult for me because of this rewards program and also not knowing anyone else in my area who has some other company to inquire about the reliability, to try to calculate how much or if I'd even save by switching to another prepaid carrier.

If in the future I learn that I'd save a lot by switching then I would consider and I would switch if it would save me at least $50/year I figure every penny counts and at least in the area I live in if I can pay less for virtually the same exact thing then it's a win for me! I figure since there's no contract I can leave straight talk ANY time so if something better/cheaper comes my way then I'll choose that or if straight talks service starts to slow or drop calls then I'd switch but I would definitely recommend straight talk and think that if it's a cheaper option in your area then you should try it and see for yourself if your internet is slower or not you can always switch since there's no contract!

Original review: Sept. 12, 2021

The reason they are so cheap is because they "LOCK" their phones. ANd if you want to have another carrier, you must pay them 300.00 to unlock it. Something they don't tell you when they buy it. So they basically scam you. My suggestion is if you ever want to use your phone with another carrier do not purchase a Straight Talk phone. Plus their service is just terrible. Half the places I was I could never get a signal. what a waste of money to pay for a phone that you can't use anywhere else.. A big big scam IMHO. Stay clear from Straight Talk!

Original review: Sept. 8, 2021

After receiving a new SIM CARD last week because I couldn't send or receive calls or text and it happened again yesterday when I was on the road. 1st tier of support referring me to 2nd tier and callbacks. In the past week I spent about 3 hours getting my phone working. Do I get credit or extension for this? Straight Talk with Verizon

Original review: Sept. 7, 2021

On July 29th some time after 11pm after my autorenewal went through my Samsung A50 stopped working. I was unable to make or receive calls or texts. I called using my husband's phone Straight Talk on July 30th and after 3 hours of perpetual hold and being "transferred" I was told it would fix itself by 4pm EST that afternoon. It did not fix itself by 4pm nor had the issue been rectified by the morning of July 31st. I called again on and after multiple "transfers" which for straight talk means returned to a hold queue. I was told they would escalate the problem and that it should be fixed in 24 hours.

On August 1st 24 hours later still it was still not working. I called again and spent 4 hours being lied to about being transferred to a supervisor or that a supervisor would call me back trying the same "fixes" over and over. Finally told me that there was something wrong with the system. It was talking to the current Samsung A series phones and that even though it wasn't something wrong my phone they needed to send me a new phone but that they couldn't do anything because my account had an escalation on it and that brought everything to a halt until someone did something about that. I was told to call back the next morning. Mind you I am still using my husband's phone that he also needs.

I called on August 2nd and got the same run around for most of the day. I finally gave up and started over on August 3rd. After about 3 hours I finally got someone that told me that yes I should get a new phone and that it would be shipped to me ASAP. I specifically asked if the phone would be a new phone. I was told that it would be and asked if would be there by August 6th because I was going out of town and would need my phone. He assured me that I would have the phone by August 6th. I asked for a tracking number and he said, "It will be in the email I am sending you." Imagine my surprise when I received the email that is was NOT a shipping confirmation but a label to send the other phone back.

I had to go out and purchase a phone in order to be able to go out of town. I asked for a refund for the phone I had to purchase because I no longer need them to send me a phone and they refused. They refused to credit my account for the comparable amount and still refused to send me a phone. After all aggravation, the hours I spent trying to rectify the matter and all the lies they told me 3 months service credit is just not enough.

Resolution response: Sept. 7, 2021

I wanted to say that the problem that I was having has been resolved and I'm pleased with my continuing services. I have had Straight Talk for a long period and never experienced any problems with the service. I want to thank them for resolving the issues.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2021

I have the 55.00 card on my phone but the hotspot usually shows up but not this time. When I try to connect to the hotspot it's telling me that I don't have that on my service but I should have 15gig. I have talked with 5 customer service and they are unable to get it working for me so I'm still doing without and not receiving a service that I paid for. I have been using the 55.00 card for a long time and when I check it on the Straight Talk app the hotspot data always shows up but not this time and I have done everything that the agents have told me with no results. I would like to get this resolved as that is why I purchase this card. Please help me resolve this problem.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2021

NEVER and I repeat NEVER ever buy a phone from them at full retail price thinking that you own the phone and that it's unlocked! TOTAL LIE... They don't tell you that they require you to have service with them for a full year before they will unlock it OR they make you pay an additional $100 on top of what you already paid. Keep in mind the wording on their website states as such: FULL RETAIL PRICE. Anyone with a brain would assume they own the phone with that kind of wording ESPECIALLY when there is another option that allows you to pay in installments (that's the one I would assume would be locked). It should mention something DURING the purchase process about the year wait, but no you gotta scroll all the way to the bottom of the website, read the TOS to find that out. While I know I should have done that, at the same time the wording on the website is extremely shady and misleading!

Straight Talk Wireless Company Information