STi Prepaid

Compare Home Phone Service

Research top Home Phone Service recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I bought a 250 minute STI (Sprint) calling card a while back that specified "Minutes do not expire" on the back. Tried making a call today and was informed by an automated message that my "account has expired". The customer service number (1-800-971-7498) on the back of the card has been disconnected. Don't waste your time or money on this hunk of dog **.

I just bought a $2 STi phone card. I called cell phone in Turkey. It took only 4-5 min and my balance just got ended. I called customer service. Wasn't helpful. STi phone card is WASTE of money. Never use it.

DO NOT BUY THESE CARDS!!! This is a SCAM, nothing but problems. Cards will expire much before 30 days. Customer service is very rude and will not help you.

Bought a STI card 14.99, wanted to save it for emergency purposes. Never used the card or activated it. Tried yesterday, & when I took tape off, so did the numbers of the pin 'cept for the last 4 digits. Called customer service... 1 888 679 9915-- man/manager spoke broken English. Sounded like he was in a 3rd world country. Could barely understand 2 words... other than "he can't" when it came to any question I asked. What a rip off. Now I have a card & can't use it, WHY? Don't they have Americans working the phones anymore? Or if they came here & got a job, why can't they speak English that is understandable... very frustrating have to deal with this. Unfair to USA.

I bought the 10$ card on June 24, 2014, with an expiration date on card of 11-Jan-2015. When I tried using it today, I was told that my card had expired. When I told them that the date on the card was 1/11/2015, I was told that applied to seller of card.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about STi Prepaid?

This is not a card to buy at the beginning. It makes you feel it’s so great as the number of minutes sound so incredible. However if there is not respond for any reason the amount goes down every so often with you doing anything about it. I purchase a $5 card and finally my use was less than 2 minutes. I called twice about it and they just have all this talk but not solution. They maybe feel I was in fault of not dialing properly however the time and money was being drain. Do not buy it unless they give the minutes require to.

DO NOT BUY THIS CARD. I bought a $10.00 card 3 months ago. I used it for only 3 minutes (or about 6 cent) and now the pins is no good. Called customer service and they said it expired last week. I requested a credit for the balance that was owed to me and they rudely refused. I explained that they took my $9.94 for no service at all. I asked to speak to a supervisor and again rudely refused (she say the supervisor does not address expired cards). I demanded to talk to a supervisor for another reason and the rep said no. The rep said we should have read the fine print before you buying it. However, that's not how it works. You have to buy it then with a magnifying glass read it. So don't waste you money on this overseas, bad, scam-style business.

I bought a 2.00 card. I used it once for about 10 minutes, and then there were no more minutes on the card. Read the fine print on the card before you buy. This card is a rip-off. I used my second one (bought 2 at once). I used it for 30 minutes. It said I have 3 hours 42 minutes. I used that the next day - it was down to one hour. They will not have any more of my money. They should be put out of business. Do not buy this card.

When attempting to use prepaid card with remaining minutes, the access number returned a recorded message that the number was no longer in service and directed me to call the other number (customer service) at the back of the calling card. Customer service (sounded like a teller marketing boiler room) told me my PIN was no longer in their records. I called back and spoke to another representative, who in heavy accent (but no boiler room), attempted to give me another PIN and access number which unfortunately I had difficulty understanding. After respectfully explaining my problem and requesting if she has an email access (to which she responded yes), I asked if she could email me the number. Then she said it could not be done at that time, so we resumed trying to understand each other.

During her repeated attempts to read the numbers slowly and coherently, I heard someone else chuckling in the room. I said I did not find it amusing nor funny and subsequently, the customer service representative hung up. The company took money for service it did not provide and their lackluster service borders on fraud. Consequence is I have no calling card for my money and efforts.

I bought this phone card, specifically African King, to call my mother who had just left the state for Sierra Leone. When I dialed the destination number, I was told I have 20 minutes talk time. After speaking for less than 2 minutes, I was prompted that I only have $0.78 remaining on a $5.00 phone card. I called customer service to find out if what I had just heard was actually true. Customer services confirmed that I spoke for 4 minutes including ringing time. I could not believe that I was only given 4 minutes on a $5.00 phone card. The customer service representative I spoke with was very unprofessional and rude. He was not helpful at all. He actually told me there is nothing they could do. When I told him I will let others know about their unprofessional business dealing, he told me to please do. Please do not buy phone card from this company. They are a huge scam.

My two sisters each have STi Prepaid cards. Recently one of them mentioned her card was not working. The access number would be dialed, the pin entered then the destination number. A "number of remaining minutes" announcement would be given, then nothing... silence. It turns out the same thing was happening to my other sister. I said I would look into it for them. This has been happening for well over 2 months. Armed with case numbers from each sister, I called Customer Service. They acknowledged the case numbers and said to wait 24 hours and try again.

After waiting 24 hours, it still didn't work. I have called Customer Support many times only to be told to "wait 24 hours and try again." Being retired and stubborn has allowed me to spend way too much time calling, what now is clearly, Customer "Disservice". STi Prepaid is without a doubt the most unethical company I have ever dealt with. Clearly they have absolutely no intention of providing the service they are selling. Do yourself a big favor and do not purchase anything from this (I have a hard time even calling this a) company.

I have been a calling card customer with the same company since the days when the STi calling cards were Sprint calling cards. In the Sprint days, there were never any problems like those of today. In the last few years, upon calling US numbers, often it was not possible to make a connection. Now when I call, I usually get a recording saying the call can't be made. When I persevere and talk to a customer service agent, they usually say wait 90 minutes or even 24 hours. When I talk to a supervisor, I'm usually told the same thing and a refund is denied. What can the FCC or other regulatory agencies do about these thieves? They're selling the cards but not providing the service. It seems like that should be some kind of crime. In conclusion, I simply say do not buy STi!

I just experienced my first (and last) interaction with STI Prepaid today. I bought my Sprint calling card a number of years ago for an emergency, and for the first time, I used it this morning. I was calling within the US, and I had no connection trouble when it went through. Later, I recalled hearing that I could use my minutes for calls outside the US, so I decided to find out more about the per-minute recharge rate. I called Customer No Service, and, yes, I actually talked with someone. I asked him my question, and he couldn't/wouldn't answer me (I found that strange). He said that I could go to their website and the information for my card would be there. He said to google stiprepaid. Then he said he'd put me through to the Recharge department, and after 15 plus minutes of waiting, I hung up.

So I googled stiprepaid, and bam! There were all the legal notices and warnings. Then I found this great website and read many of the reviews. If he had just given me the rates, I might have paid him to recharge my card; but he did not. So, instead, when I use up these minutes, that will be that. Thanks to all these terrific reviews here.

Unfortunately for me, I live in a remote part of the US, and we don't have any great cell phone deals. My other well-used MCI calling card was bought out by Verizon, and this year, they shut down this calling card altogether. I am running out of options, and I am juggling what minutes I have left on both cards. Such is the price I am willing to pay to live where I choose.

Since the end of October, every time I tried to use my STi calling card, I get the message "We're sorry, all circuits are busy" and I couldn't enter the number I wanted to call. I called customer service and requested assistance. All they did was take the information and tell you to wait 24 hours. After that period, when you try to use the card, you learn the problem has not been resolved. When you call customer service, you get the same treatment. I asked to talk to a supervisor and was given a new access number that did not recognize my PIN. I have a balance of $28.00 that according to STi is not refundable. Please be aware of the unethical business practices of this company before you purchase any of their products. Protest, protest, protest. This company deserves a special place in Dante's Hell.

Many reports and complaints of not being able to use this STI phone card, later and I still have nothing. Three months of trying to use the access number and pin and filing the reports with this bogus company, they finally gave me a new access number and pin. These were also no good! The company is defrauding people and getting away with it. I had seven hours of time left on the card. I'm writing it off, and not spending one more minute on them!

I tried to use my calling card each day for the last six or seven days. Each time I get the message - "We're sorry, all circuits are busy" and I couldn't enter the number I wanted to call. I tried calling tech support and got a busy signal, until today. Now I get a message that says, "We're sorry, this number is not accepting calls." I have about forty hours on my card and am very unhappy with this performance.

None of the numbers on the STI card work anymore, and what's worse is they are still selling these cards at the grocery store. I paid $20 for this rip-off card. Do not buy their card!

I had STi prepaid long distance service for years, and all of a sudden, I can't make any calls. The operators kept hounding me to add more minutes a couple of months ago even though I had plenty. Have they taken out bankruptcy? Were they trying to sign me up for more minutes because they knew it wasn't going to last much longer? This sounds fishy to me.

I purchased two $5 STi phone cards on Oct. 30, 2012. Over the last 5 days, every single time that I have called the 800 access number in order to make long-distance calls, the calls do not go through. Even calls to the customer service number, 888-644-0624, do not go through. So, if I can't make calls through the 800 access number and I can't reach anyone on the customer service line to resolve the problem, essentially, I have been ripped off by $10 by a company that cannot be reached for comment. Is it fair that companies like STi Prepaid continue to operate and scam hardworking Americans?

After reviewing the numerous complaints of other customers who were dissatisfied and ripped off by STi Prepaid, it appears that no effort has been made to date by regulatory agencies to curtail the activities of unscrupulous businesses such as STi Prepaid. Unfortunately, that means that unsuspecting Americans have to be vigilant to avoid becoming prey to thieves and scoundrels such as STi Prepaid. It is equally disheartening that the government does not do a better job of protecting its citizens from such unscrupulous businesses.

Today, I bought a phone card for $5 that I usually don't buy. I used to get the DMV card from the same company and never really had problems. Well, first of all, I couldn't even get a phone call out to my country! Then, I tried the CS number and that does not work. I guess there is no need to go back to the gas station where I bought it! Just to see, I called the Spanish number and was able to make my call. Now, this makes me really angry. The DMV card always allowed me to have "3 hours" of talk time to a landline in Germany. I use the mentioned card the first time and only have 50 minutes. Well, not surprised, but they filed for bankruptcy **. I'm just going to look for an app.

STI is a prepaid phone card company. I‘ve been trying to call for two days (Oct. 31, 2012 to Nov. 1, 2012) now, all I get is, “All circuits are busy now.” It would also be nice to hear from a consumer service to tell me what is going on. I like using my card from this company - never had a problem until now. It could be the work of storm sandy, I do not know.

This company is a fake. I bought a calling card and could not access any of the access numbers. I went down the entire list and none of them would work. Not even the customer service number works. A total rip off, I will never buy another one! I tried the website and that doesn't even work; a waste of money. Never again!

My STi calling card no longer works. I have been on the phone with them for a week and was told to try again in 24 hours every time I call. The last time I asked to talk to a supervisor, I was told I would have to call back in the afternoon as his supervisor was not there yet. I called at 10:00. Why is this company allowed to continue in business?

STi prepaid phone card robbed me of hundreds of minutes. I refilled the STi prepaid phone card last December. Just this past weekend, when I dialed the 800 access number, the recording told me the number is no longer in service. I called customer service and was told to wait 24 hours. I sent an e-mail to customer service; same thing, be patient, 6 tickets ahead of you. Someone will be in touch within 24 hours; nothing!

I called again last night and was told that your state’s long distance providers are blocking all calling card numbers. I told them **! I had an STi prepaid 800 number that worked. STi just needed to give me a new pin - they refused! They told me when they called the 800 number from their location and used existing pin, it worked fine. That does not do me any good! I asked for a refund and was told no. What part of customer service were you providing? I filed complaint with BBB in NYC where they are located. Do the same. Maybe if everyone complains, something will get done. This is a rip off!

CVT, KDI, Fountain International: If you want the worst calling card and worst customer service, and the biggest thieves in prepaid card business, Fountain International is the right place! I call, let it ring for only 5 rings, no one answers and they still take away from my minutes! I do it again and the same thing happens! I call Customer Service and they refund some of it. I call and the same thing happens! Now my card is down from $5.00 to $2.90! And I haven't had a single word of conversation! Just now, I called Customer Service and asked for the manager, and they put me on hold and then just hung up! The customer service are rude and manipulators! They will make any excuse which is bull because I tried their card to a different country and it works! Then, I tried a different company card to my destination, and no problem! So, they can't blame it on the line that I'm calling to!

Also, whenever it does go through, it tells you, "We give the full amount of minutes in a single!" So, how they do manipulate you is while you're talking, they cut the line, then it says, "Please enter your destination number." So, I enter it and it says, "Please enter your destination number," and on and on, until you have no choice but to hang up and call again! And that's how they steal your minutes away! If you call and complain, they'll just say, "Okay, we will send a report!" But nothing ever happens anyways!

My STi card quit working after just 3 or 4 calls. I called STi customer service 7 times. Every time I talked to a person, they told me to wait 24 hours. I would call back in 24 hours and the same speech again, 24 hours. I asked to talk to a supervisor and waited for at least 15 minutes each time 3 different times. I looked up their website and it says it can stop the service on your card if they want to. I will never buy any of their card again. I didn't think a company could just decide to stop service on prepaid cards for the heck of it.

I bought an STi prepaid card and cannot get the card to even access the dialing number to place a call. Customer service is awful, hard to understand and cannot resolve the issue. They say it must be with my landline service here in Texas. So, I just wasted my money as the retailer cannot refund on any type of service card. This is just another example of a sleazy service provider with no business sense other than to rip people off and reap millions in the process. Stay away at all costs!

When trying to make calls, I get all the way to the lady telling me how much time I have left on the card and then she says "goodbye" and the calls do not go through. I have spent hours with Customer Service trying to resolve the issue and all I get are promises that it will work tomorrow. They give me a name and case number, but when I call back to speak to that person, I am told they are not allowed to transfer me to someone else. Obviously their customer service doesn't work any better than their phone service. I don't plan to recommend this card to others!

I've had the same STI Prepaid calling card for years (when it was originally Sprint) and use it to call long distance within the US. For the last week, I've gotten a busy signal every time I dialed my access number. For several weeks before that, the access number worked but after dialing the long distance number, I'd hear a recording stating the call could not go through. Calling 1-888 customer service the last five days has been a nightmare of snippy agents telling me of a nationwide problem and to wait another 24 hours each time I call. They offer no assistance. They said I could not get a refund of my balance of over $30 on my card. Asking for a supervisor only leaves me on hold forever and then the line disconnects. Don't bother.

I finally called the New York headquarters at 212-660-2700, pressed 0 and asked for a supervisor. The supervisor gave me a new access and PIN number to use with $2 on it (over an hour's worth of time) and did not ask for credit card information. She's going to confirm the problem I described using my old PIN and then call me back. I would ordinarily doubt whether she'd call back, but in addition to giving me a new PIN and access number to use, she gave me her direct dial number and told me that I can transfer my prepaid amount on the old account to the new. Here's hoping. STI's parent company declared bankruptcy on September 6. I suspect the recent problems in using my card are related. I'll use up my remaining prepaid time (if I can), but won't use them ever again.

I am unable to dial a specific area code after doing so for over 10 years. Worse, STi's customer service is by far the worst I have ever experienced. I have placed over 10 phone calls, eight e-mails, and had been assigned at least six case numbers. I have been promised many times they would fix it. They haven't and you can't get a hold of anyone to look at the problem. This company is by far the worst I have ever dealt with. My strong advice is to stay clear of them. Customer service and assistance is a joke and non-existent. All you get are canned, scripted responses.

STi Prepaid Company Profile