3.82/5

Looking for a good VoIP provider?

Skype

Looking for a good VoIP provider?

Skype Reviews

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

I needed to call the following number ** which is my doctor's office. When I use Skype, I consistently get a fax machine? When I use Google Hangouts, works just fine? I tried this several times to verify/validate.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

My Skype account has been inexplicably locked, returning the message "It looks like someone else might be using your account." Unable to unlock the account using the email address on file, that being now defunct. Multiple tries using their online form, providing all the information at hand produced no results. Spend a lot of time with an online support who continually referred me back to the online form, which does not work. I was then requested to simply open a new account. No. This needs to be fixed because:

- There is still paid for credit on that account, minuscule as it may be, Microsoft do not have a right to it. - Account was locked by no fault of my own. Either their security has been overzealous or my account is hacked. If my account has been hacked, I would be the only person capable of assessing the damage caused by the breach and be able to change my password in order to stop the breach. In this instance they would be allowing ongoing access to the hacker while denying access to the legitimate account owner. - My contacts are there. I can absolutely and positively identify myself if I could just get to speak to someone who has the slightest bit of authority. I am even prepared to present myself at a Microsoft store with ID and credit cards in hand which were used to purchase Skype credit. These suggestions have fallen on deaf ears.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

Not what it used to be. It has become like all the other competitors. It used to be my most trusted way to communicate. Doesn’t function well, and the updates only seem to make everything worse. Still use Skype daily, but there is no loyalty. Skype has lost its character.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

About eight years ago, when I was still using Microsoft Windows. I signed up for SKYPE. I haven't used Windows in all that time, and cannot use SKYPE. I use LINUX. I long ago lost my password, but there is no way to retrieve it, since all my information is gone. They have been billing me ever since, and there is no way to stop it. Went to my bank and tried a stop hold. They told me I have to contact SKYPE. Well, there IS NO WAY to contact them. You have to sign into your Microsoft account. Which I don't have! What a ripoff! So I am being billed quarterly for something I have never used!

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

Skype used to be a good fairly simple messenger - reliable with extras. Now that Microsoft owns the product it's not for human use. The tip that a software product is in trouble is when management starts touting colors of interfaces. Easy settings are gone - just try to find blocked users to unblock etc etc. We are now being tormented by Microsoft morons in peer pressure or how to best please and praise the manager. Shame on you all you morons. You have ripped us off.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Skype?

Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

It's the "Microsoft Curse" - anytime Microsoft takes over a great product, it rapidly becomes worse. I've been using Skype for almost 10 years, and it used to be the absolute best for online communication - now it's the absolute worst. And in the last year or so, every time it does an automatic update, it shockingly gets even worse than it was before. Time to start getting our company to move over to a different system.

Original review: July 25, 2018

I've used Skype on laptops for years, the latest being under Windows 10. Last week, Skype notified me that my 'old' Skype would be automatically changed to a new and better one. After the switch, however, I found that: the new screen interface was very inferior and unhelpful, all my Contacts list had been erased, all sound (in and out) was lost, despite the sound and mike icons showing OK, Skype's online FAQs were next to useless. In desperation, I decided to uninstall Skype and then download the new version afresh, and install it using a new username and password.

Initially, things looked OK as after uninstalling and restarting the laptop my program registry showed Skype was no longer installed and the Skype icon disappeared from my home screen. However, suddenly the Skype icon reappeared. I tried to download Skype afresh but the Skype website informed me that Skype was already installed and it blocked my attempt to download it. So, it looks like me and thousands of others who are reporting similar problems are being forced now to abandon Skype forever. Three cheers for the techno-nerd at Skype who dreamt up the 'new' Skype. No doubt he or she will get a big pay rise and a promotion.

Original review: July 21, 2018

I had a plan with Skype for like $18.99 a month or something like that. I found that I wasn’t using it, so I called customer services & I cancelled it. Well for like a year & a half, they continued to randomly bill my debit card. I called customer service several times, & they said that they would fix it. Yet I was seeing charges on my debit card. At one point after billing me, I called Customer Service again and was yelled at and told that someone would call me back in three days. Of course I never heard a word. Their customer service is horrible! Then I would have to call my bank & they would reverse the charges & block their name from future billing.

So then Skype kept SLIGHTLY changing their name, and so they were able bill my card & charge me for services I didn’t even have. I had to literally check my card on a regular consistent basis and try and catch Skype in the process of trying to screw me over. This went on for close to a year & a half after I canceled. It has FINALLY stopped completely ONLY because I have a different debit card now. They are a very sneaky, underhanded company with no business ethics whatsoever. They could care less about their customers. DO NOT get involved with Skype.

Original review: July 12, 2018

I accidentally clicked on update when I opened my Skype account and didn't realize that I was actually signing in to a Microsoft account that I did not want. Subsequently all easier account info seemed to be gone, and the new account was not intuitive nor did I want a new one. So I spent 45 minutes on a chat line (they don't offer phone contact for help) and it became an absolutely horrible experience - a series of Catch 22s that essentially mean it will take hours just to get out of their service, if I can at all. I will have to contact my bank to stop all payments to them on my account (the old one that I can't seem to access now). WHAT IS THE ALTERNATIVE TO SKYPE???

Original review: July 9, 2018

Had a decent enough working Skype account with lots of phone numbers of overseas friends and family, with credit for calls. Suddenly this year I'm told by a relative my Skype isn't working. I go to my account and discover everything is wiped out. I tried to get restarted. Going through a maze of Microsoft requirements and find myself paying $3 a month for a subscription that I purchased apparently. Several notices warning me $28 credit will be deactivated unless I make a call and use Skype.

Can't make a call without going through my contacts again. Made one call to a relative and no reply. Skype keeps sending me emails to reactivate my credit to sign in, then click on Reactivate Credit. Then it tells me I have zero credit. I'm 75 and trying to keep up with changes, this one has me screaming with frustration and the stress at my age isn't worth it. Skype or Microsoft just want your money but won't give you live customer service, just an endless loop of robots. Forget Skype.

Skype Company Information