1.18/5
Based on 271 reviews that contain star ratings

Looking for a good VoIP provider?

302 Skype Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 22, 2019

I was glad when I discovered Skype decades ago. However, after Microsoft purchased it from the 2 guys in Luxembourg, the human customer service, prices and connection service stopped 99%! Today, Skype is stealing our money and this goes as a warning to all of you users! It looks like Microsoft has become a service for the rich corporate people who have so much money that they do not care about being scam maybe because in their tax returns there is a way for them to to recuperate that stolen money and get maybe even much more... since their tax returns are hidden from us and they have their own lawyers to take care of their bad deeds. So, I warn you. If you feel like continue using Skype and maybe lose less money...Never give to them your banking credit cards!!! Get a credit card that you can charge with only the amount you need, to use Skype, at Walmart or try to find another application! Good luck to you!

Original review: April 13, 2019

I have been using Skype since 2008, and I have had more frustrating issues in the past few MONTHS than I have ever had with this program. I use Skype to talk to my family overseas daily, and the majority of the time neither party can connect. Other times, it will not show our online status. Yet other times, we cannot send text messages to one another in a timely manner! I do not know what the issue is, but this "new" modified app is complete garage and barely usable. I would NOT recommend this chat network app to anyone.

Get expert buying tips about VoIP Internet Phone Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 12, 2019

I had used Skype several years ago (before Microsoft) with satisfactory results until they stole my credit for too little usage. I recently decided to give them another try and then cancelled my account(s) for the following reasons,

1. They removed the voice mailbox without notice. No way for a missed call to leave a message.
    2. Skype linked my account to my Microsoft account so in cancelling Skype, I lost my Microsoft account and Onedrive.
    3. There is no way to speak with anyone at Microsoft or Skype without paying a fee,
    4. There is essentially NO customer or technical support.
    5. The layout of the GUI is sloppy and confusing.

6. I had to file a dispute with my credit card to hopefully get my money back.

Very dissatisfied!

Original review: March 6, 2019

There's a HUGE thread going on on the MS answers.microsoft forum with ALL of the complaints due to MS changing sooo many things on Skype 8. I've been using Skype since around 2014 when I switched from Yahoo. I loved the program UNTIL Microsoft started screwing with it & this was even BEFORE they FORCED Skype 8 on everyone. Now it's a terrible program that they aren't fixing & it's clear that it was designed for teenagers or 20 somethings. It's ALSO clear that the team they hired to build it has a low IQ. Just problem after problem with Skype 8. Missing features & even just regular features, like you can't attach a file to your IMing discussion if you already started typing.

There's a list a mile long that I can't type up here. Not only did they ruin a good piece of software, people who use it for business have lost clients, business or can't do what they used to do with the program. Of course Microsoft doesn't care about its customers, look at who the founder is. He has a history of doing unethical things to programmers even back MANY years ago, AND look at what he did to all of those children & women in 3rd world countries with his toxic vaccines. Once again EVIL CORPS control us!

Original review: Feb. 23, 2019

I wish to know the stats of how much money MS made by stealing cash credits from people's accounts. I have just contacted Skype asking for a refund of my €8.73. They've quoted the 14-day refund policy. I understand if this was a monthly subscription or a purchase of some product, but cash credit? Come on Microsoft, shame on you!!! This is like lending you money to invest without getting any interest back. 5 years ago I put €10 on my account, only used just over €1 and since I never used it again, why should I not be able to get the rest of what is left back? I have moved countries a few times and every time I leave a country the card that I use to touch on and off has some credit left. Every single time, I got my money back as this is MY MONEY, what is wrong with you Microsoft?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Skype?

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

Let me start by saying I have used Skype since my Windows XP days, and like all Microsoft products the service has not been the same since. While in the early days you had to manually install Windows Messenger, webcam drivers, Skype was a much better product made by people who cared and who had an IQ higher than 80. Now we have this dumbed down "app" with ultra confusing "picture logos" instead of plain English tabs.

Regardless here are some headaches since the Microsoft/Skype merger. I'll call this "Broken Skype". For close to 2 years, Broken Skype dial pad did not work while in a call. So if you tried a telephone line that had multiple in-call options clicking "option 1, 2, 3" the dial pad would not work and you'd get booted from whatever telephone line you were calling. Businesses who subscribed to Skype were hung out to dry with a useless 12 month subscription they couldn't use. Broken Skype also stopped using plain English and words like "Software". Instead started saying "app". I refuse to partake in any dumbed down language that are called "app". Sans Windows 10 due to lack of support for Windows 7.

Rip off payment services. Review of Broken Skype's Payment services. I was offered a promotional code for 400 minutes of free Skype credit trial. I was told that (and because this offer was from within the Skype programme rather than e-mail) I could keep the 400 minutes regardless if I signed onto Skype. Nice gesture until I get an e-mail saying because I refused to sign to a paid subscription my promotional balance went down to nothing- despite having 300 minutes left. I had a "live text chat" with customer service who had no clue about the terms and conditions of this promotion.

If they can't get a free promotion right I won't pay a penny to Skype. I see people purchasing 3 months of Skype and then their balance disappearing without apology or reimbursement. It also happened to my Father and Skype were unapologetic so he now calls Australia by landline if Skype is down. I hope a better thing comes up but from the sounds of it "apps" such as "Snapchat", "Discord" are popular with younger people. I'd like my adult, plain English version of Skype back, along with a proper customer service department, not some clueless outsourced Indian call-centre clerk who doesn't know Skype's own promotions or payment services.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2019

Microsoft has taken a product that worked well and has made it so complex it is unusable for normal humans. This is so typical of Microsoft, they used to produce terrific user friendly products and now they excel at producing garbage.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

I needed to call the following number ** which is my doctor's office. When I use Skype, I consistently get a fax machine? When I use Google Hangouts, works just fine? I tried this several times to verify/validate.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

Not what it used to be. It has become like all the other competitors. It used to be my most trusted way to communicate. Doesn’t function well, and the updates only seem to make everything worse. Still use Skype daily, but there is no loyalty. Skype has lost its character.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

About eight years ago, when I was still using Microsoft Windows. I signed up for SKYPE. I haven't used Windows in all that time, and cannot use SKYPE. I use LINUX. I long ago lost my password, but there is no way to retrieve it, since all my information is gone. They have been billing me ever since, and there is no way to stop it. Went to my bank and tried a stop hold. They told me I have to contact SKYPE. Well, there IS NO WAY to contact them. You have to sign into your Microsoft account. Which I don't have! What a ripoff! So I am being billed quarterly for something I have never used!

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

Skype used to be a good fairly simple messenger - reliable with extras. Now that Microsoft owns the product it's not for human use. The tip that a software product is in trouble is when management starts touting colors of interfaces. Easy settings are gone - just try to find blocked users to unblock etc etc. We are now being tormented by Microsoft morons in peer pressure or how to best please and praise the manager. Shame on you all you morons. You have ripped us off.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

It's the "Microsoft Curse" - anytime Microsoft takes over a great product, it rapidly becomes worse. I've been using Skype for almost 10 years, and it used to be the absolute best for online communication - now it's the absolute worst. And in the last year or so, every time it does an automatic update, it shockingly gets even worse than it was before. Time to start getting our company to move over to a different system.

Original review: July 25, 2018

I've used Skype on laptops for years, the latest being under Windows 10. Last week, Skype notified me that my 'old' Skype would be automatically changed to a new and better one. After the switch, however, I found that: the new screen interface was very inferior and unhelpful, all my Contacts list had been erased, all sound (in and out) was lost, despite the sound and mike icons showing OK, Skype's online FAQs were next to useless. In desperation, I decided to uninstall Skype and then download the new version afresh, and install it using a new username and password.

Initially, things looked OK as after uninstalling and restarting the laptop my program registry showed Skype was no longer installed and the Skype icon disappeared from my home screen. However, suddenly the Skype icon reappeared. I tried to download Skype afresh but the Skype website informed me that Skype was already installed and it blocked my attempt to download it. So, it looks like me and thousands of others who are reporting similar problems are being forced now to abandon Skype forever. Three cheers for the techno-nerd at Skype who dreamt up the 'new' Skype. No doubt he or she will get a big pay rise and a promotion.

Original review: July 21, 2018

I had a plan with Skype for like $18.99 a month or something like that. I found that I wasn’t using it, so I called customer services & I cancelled it. Well for like a year & a half, they continued to randomly bill my debit card. I called customer service several times, & they said that they would fix it. Yet I was seeing charges on my debit card. At one point after billing me, I called Customer Service again and was yelled at and told that someone would call me back in three days. Of course I never heard a word. Their customer service is horrible! Then I would have to call my bank & they would reverse the charges & block their name from future billing.

So then Skype kept SLIGHTLY changing their name, and so they were able bill my card & charge me for services I didn’t even have. I had to literally check my card on a regular consistent basis and try and catch Skype in the process of trying to screw me over. This went on for close to a year & a half after I canceled. It has FINALLY stopped completely ONLY because I have a different debit card now. They are a very sneaky, underhanded company with no business ethics whatsoever. They could care less about their customers. DO NOT get involved with Skype.

Original review: July 12, 2018

I accidentally clicked on update when I opened my Skype account and didn't realize that I was actually signing in to a Microsoft account that I did not want. Subsequently all easier account info seemed to be gone, and the new account was not intuitive nor did I want a new one. So I spent 45 minutes on a chat line (they don't offer phone contact for help) and it became an absolutely horrible experience - a series of Catch 22s that essentially mean it will take hours just to get out of their service, if I can at all. I will have to contact my bank to stop all payments to them on my account (the old one that I can't seem to access now). WHAT IS THE ALTERNATIVE TO SKYPE???

Original review: July 9, 2018

Had a decent enough working Skype account with lots of phone numbers of overseas friends and family, with credit for calls. Suddenly this year I'm told by a relative my Skype isn't working. I go to my account and discover everything is wiped out. I tried to get restarted. Going through a maze of Microsoft requirements and find myself paying $3 a month for a subscription that I purchased apparently. Several notices warning me $28 credit will be deactivated unless I make a call and use Skype.

Can't make a call without going through my contacts again. Made one call to a relative and no reply. Skype keeps sending me emails to reactivate my credit to sign in, then click on Reactivate Credit. Then it tells me I have zero credit. I'm 75 and trying to keep up with changes, this one has me screaming with frustration and the stress at my age isn't worth it. Skype or Microsoft just want your money but won't give you live customer service, just an endless loop of robots. Forget Skype.

Original review: July 4, 2018

I have not used Skype for two years now. I tried to recover the account. They even recognised the email but they failed to send me verification code. Their service is awful. It's time to Stop using Skype.

Original review: June 19, 2018

I've used Skype for my small home business for years. Call quality has been spotty. But not too bad. Features are serviceable, for the most part. BUT... the two biggest problems for me... Skype no longer lets you know via email when you miss a call or have a voice message. You simply have to keep an eye on your Skype app or PC's toolbar to make sure you haven't missed anyone. And you have to make sure your Skype app is always open or you'll never know when, if someone calls or leaves a message until you bonk your head and open Skype to find missed calls.

I dare ANYONE to find useful information or help from Skype. You can't easily PAY them or upgrade a subscription or renew easily. It's worse than pulling teeth. I always DREAD having to deal with my Skype account because something that should take less than a minute can take hours and you often can't find what you need or you can't do what you're trying to do. Most unhelpful and unusable site online. Try and change your number subscription from month to month to a year plan. You can't. Oh, and there's no such thing as 'customer service'. It doesn't exist. I'm currently trying to get away from them...

Original review: May 21, 2018

When I received a friend from England want to know why I was sending messages in Russian, which is a language I don't speak, I checked my account and found over 100 names added to my contact list of names and subtitles in Russian. He reported that although the profile photo was a image of me, but not the profile image I uploaded. I SEARCHED AND SEARCHED AND PLEADED with Skype/Microsoft for help recovering my account and I was COMPLETELY IGNORED. It was then that I found out that Skype is not owned by Microsoft, which explains the other issues I've been having, along with a couple of other friends. I even tried sending screenshots to the Facebook account & asking for help on their Facebook page. They only responded to people who didn't have issues and deleted mine. It's been 2 weeks and still no support.

Original review: May 20, 2018

When I got this pc, I removed any programs I didn't use or want. Skype was one of them. It's nowhere to be found in my programs list, I got rid of it. Yet today, Bitdefender says Skype is vulnerable and I should update to a newer version! I'm like, WHAT? I don't have Skype! But Skype insists on sending me an upgrade!

Original review: April 17, 2018

First, since Microsoft took over SKYPE, the website and the service have become awful. But yesterday, they hit a new low with me. They 'stole' $25.00 that I was trying to add as credit to my SKYPE account. After a long waste of time with a tech support person, she said I had redeemed that money for some other Microsoft purchase. I had not. I asked what I redeemed it for. "I can't tell you that. But rest assured I will pass you on to senior support who will try to help you". How much time should a person be expected to waste for $25.00? I cancelled the account. I hope I'm clear of them. She said she was sorry.

Original review: March 22, 2018

This week I opened up my Skype account. Granted, I had not been in for about 10 days, but when I opened it, I couldn't recognize it at all. My contact list has been pushed to the side with tiny icons in order to make room, I guess, for ads. The usual features have been changed, and they have removed the 'Away' yellow button, which was a good thing to let others know you might be on a call. Now it's just Green/Active or Red/Do not Disturb (which I find rude) or Invisible if you decide you need to hide from someone for some reason (so why bother keeping them in your contact list ?).

Generally, it is unclear as to how this new system works, and I note that there has been no warning to me in advance and no offer to explain the new system or why it was put into place. Really, I used to use it daily, now I am reluctant to re-learn it or use it at all. Learning WhatsApp group calls instead...until they change THAT! :( IT's an exciting world in lots of different ways, right?

Original review: March 17, 2018

I need Skype for an online class I am taking. But when I log on, I never know what I will get. Everything will be fine for a couple of weeks, and then I will try to get in and can't, and then finally sometimes I get the basic welcome greeting with all my contacts and content missing, as if I am starting over each time. I keep looking at my account, and sometimes a subscription shows up and sometimes it doesn't. Do I have more than one or two accounts? I can't tell what is going on, and I can't get any help.

Original review: March 13, 2018

So when I sign into my email it signs me onto Skype. I don't want that so I wanted to remove Skype. They said the only way I can remove Skype is if I remove my email. That has to be illegal to force me to keep Skype or I lose my email account. They said delete the old email make a new email and then Skype won't be connected. But if I sign up with Skype it's linked to my email forever. I am forced to keep it. That is not legal to do. There is no way they can force us to keep Skype or we lose our personal email. Something has to be done about this.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2018

Skype won't even let me use their program. They are blocking me for some unknown reason. They say I have been using the wrong password too many times (They won't accept the correct one). I have tried creating new accounts, and I get the same thing. Customer service is the pits, they have no idea of what they're doing. I wouldn't even give them one star if I could help it!

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

On 16th Feb 2018 I went to use my SKYPE with Aus $29 credit on account. I have held this account for 11 years. It asked me to remit all my details. I did this as best as I could remember. Went to use it, and it blocked me out. I then went in search of someone I could call on SKYPE. It does not exist. They pretend they started the chat at 10.55am. What a lie. This Jayne says she has finished my chat at 11 am. There is nobody there. When I answer immediately, on my computer it is 12.30. As soon as... immediately I get the first communication. I return to the second screen at 12.33pm (I opened 2 help request screens) which is still live. It has also now been showing 35 for well over half an hour. Is this the magic number when it cuts you off... and then suddenly a message will appear to say I did not answer? What is going on? Surely this must breach American trading standards.

So NO doubt I will never be able to access my account again, with $29 on it... profit for SKYPE... big loss on so many levels for me. Why is this allowed? Are my details as secure as my money... which is zero? Why is there no number I can contact? Nobody to talk to? Except for scam CHAT lines that are almost impossible to contact in the first place. Finally I got through to a chat line with a wait of 75 in front. It then said It had opened my chat in a different window. I went looking and it looks like I had 2 separate windows. I sat in front of the computer for over 2 hours. At 35 it stayed stationary for over half an hours. Suddenly it came up with someone called Jayne showing a time of 10.55am. This is fraudulent. It never appeared on my screen, only that I was 35 in line. It then goes on to say "pardon me for asking but I just wanted to ask if we are still connected."

I am still staring at a blank screen, alternating with the other window which has opened which was down to 42 and stationary. Suddenly the first screen becomes active, saying it's disconnecting me because it hasn't heard from me. I have been here, sitting here, for maybe 3 hours. and nothing. This is a scam. "Thanks for visiting Skype! I'm Jane J..." My computer clock shows 12.01 when the message first shows up. What remedial action can I obtain? Is there any class action against SKYPE I join, and if not, can one be initiated. What are my options for justice? Is the review below for SKYPE or Consumer Affairs? I am marking it as if it is SKYPE.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

My Skype account has been inexplicably locked, returning the message "It looks like someone else might be using your account." Unable to unlock the account using the email address on file, that being now defunct. Multiple tries using their online form, providing all the information at hand produced no results. Spend a lot of time with an online support who continually referred me back to the online form, which does not work. I was then requested to simply open a new account. No. This needs to be fixed because:

- There is still paid for credit on that account, minuscule as it may be, Microsoft do not have a right to it. - Account was locked by no fault of my own. Either their security has been overzealous or my account is hacked. If my account has been hacked, I would be the only person capable of assessing the damage caused by the breach and be able to change my password in order to stop the breach. In this instance they would be allowing ongoing access to the hacker while denying access to the legitimate account owner. - My contacts are there. I can absolutely and positively identify myself if I could just get to speak to someone who has the slightest bit of authority. I am even prepared to present myself at a Microsoft store with ID and credit cards in hand which were used to purchase Skype credit. These suggestions have fallen on deaf ears.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2018

This is one of the worst companies you can do business with. They don't have phone support and you will sit on "Hold" for a chat for about 30 to 45 minutes. Then as you are chatting they will disconnect you and you will have to start ALL OVER AGAIN... They don't care about their service and their mission is to get you to sign up for services you don't need. AVOID THEM AT ALL COSTS!!! I have been waiting for over 1 HOUR FOR 2.99. THEY SUCK.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2018

I just found out that Skype will only refund credits bought within 14 days of purchase. Is this legal? In California gift cards purchased (basically advance credit) can't legally expire, so how does Skype get away with keeping money you paid them for credit which hasn't been used? Regarding another issue, in attempting to reach a Skype representative through their online chat feature, I waited for over 50 minutes as I was informed there was heavy volume, but I was still in line to reach an agent. When an agent finally came online, I was told they could not help me because a system update was in progress.

Anybody who knows anything about computer systems realizes they could have generated a message explaining that the system update was in progress and for customers to try again later, but, instead, their failure to implement a simple solution kept dozens of customers waiting, collectively, for hours. What's worse is that in chatting with a supervisor the next day, he didn't know enough to realize this and dismissed my suggestion, saying I didn't understand their system. Terrible customer service!

Original review: Jan. 16, 2018

I am a user of Skype, but today I had two emails; Refused payment and delivery for the purchase of the annual Phone number plan. But I did not use that for a long time, even I did not press the button for the auto payment. I called 5 times to the customer center, among talks of my complains, awkwardly, the connections stopped continually. My account did not show a refund button and live chat did not present. I felt stuck. How can I deal with this? I already had sent my email to contackus@skype.net, but the response is saying it is not valid; "Thanks for contacting Skype. This e-mail message cannot be delivered because the e-mail address is no longer valid. For support please click here." But this is the same cycle of no exit for the solution. The customer center said they do not have any email address, nor fax number, so when the phone connection by someone may be disrupted, no way to continue for complain.

Skype Company Information