1.18/5
Based on 250 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for a good VoIP provider?

Last updated: April 17, 2018

281 Skype Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
    Original review: April 17, 2018

First, since Microsoft took over SKYPE, the website and the service have become awful. But yesterday, they hit a new low with me. They 'stole' $25.00 that I was trying to add as credit to my SKYPE account. After a long waste of time with a tech support person, she said I had redeemed that money for some other Microsoft purchase. I had not. I asked what I redeemed it for. "I can't tell you that. But rest assured I will pass you on to senior support who will try to help you". How much time should a person be expected to waste for $25.00? I cancelled the account. I hope I'm clear of them. She said she was sorry.

Original review: March 22, 2018

This week I opened up my Skype account. Granted, I had not been in for about 10 days, but when I opened it, I couldn't recognize it at all. My contact list has been pushed to the side with tiny icons in order to make room, I guess, for ads. The usual features have been changed, and they have removed the 'Away' yellow button, which was a good thing to let others know you might be on a call. Now it's just Green/Active or Red/Do not Disturb (which I find rude) or Invisible if you decide you need to hide from someone for some reason (so why bother keeping them in your contact list ?).

Generally, it is unclear as to how this new system works, and I note that there has been no warning to me in advance and no offer to explain the new system or why it was put into place. Really, I used to use it daily, now I am reluctant to re-learn it or use it at all. Learning WhatsApp group calls instead...until they change THAT! :( IT's an exciting world in lots of different ways, right?

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: March 17, 2018

I need Skype for an online class I am taking. But when I log on, I never know what I will get. Everything will be fine for a couple of weeks, and then I will try to get in and can't, and then finally sometimes I get the basic welcome greeting with all my contacts and content missing, as if I am starting over each time. I keep looking at my account, and sometimes a subscription shows up and sometimes it doesn't. Do I have more than one or two accounts? I can't tell what is going on, and I can't get any help.

Original review: March 13, 2018

So when I sign into my email it signs me onto Skype. I don't want that so I wanted to remove Skype. They said the only way I can remove Skype is if I remove my email. That has to be illegal to force me to keep Skype or I lose my email account. They said delete the old email make a new email and then Skype won't be connected. But if I sign up with Skype it's linked to my email forever. I am forced to keep it. That is not legal to do. There is no way they can force us to keep Skype or we lose our personal email. Something has to be done about this.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2018

Skype won't even let me use their program. They are blocking me for some unknown reason. They say I have been using the wrong password too many times (They won't accept the correct one). I have tried creating new accounts, and I get the same thing. Customer service is the pits, they have no idea of what they're doing. I wouldn't even give them one star if I could help it!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Skype?

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

On 16th Feb 2018 I went to use my SKYPE with Aus $29 credit on account. I have held this account for 11 years. It asked me to remit all my details. I did this as best as I could remember. Went to use it, and it blocked me out. I then went in search of someone I could call on SKYPE. It does not exist. They pretend they started the chat at 10.55am. What a lie. This Jayne says she has finished my chat at 11 am. There is nobody there. When I answer immediately, on my computer it is 12.30. As soon as... immediately I get the first communication. I return to the second screen at 12.33pm (I opened 2 help request screens) which is still live. It has also now been showing 35 for well over half an hour. Is this the magic number when it cuts you off... and then suddenly a message will appear to say I did not answer? What is going on? Surely this must breach American trading standards.

So NO doubt I will never be able to access my account again, with $29 on it... profit for SKYPE... big loss on so many levels for me. Why is this allowed? Are my details as secure as my money... which is zero? Why is there no number I can contact? Nobody to talk to? Except for scam CHAT lines that are almost impossible to contact in the first place. Finally I got through to a chat line with a wait of 75 in front. It then said It had opened my chat in a different window. I went looking and it looks like I had 2 separate windows. I sat in front of the computer for over 2 hours. At 35 it stayed stationary for over half an hours. Suddenly it came up with someone called Jayne showing a time of 10.55am. This is fraudulent. It never appeared on my screen, only that I was 35 in line. It then goes on to say "pardon me for asking but I just wanted to ask if we are still connected."

I am still staring at a blank screen, alternating with the other window which has opened which was down to 42 and stationary. Suddenly the first screen becomes active, saying it's disconnecting me because it hasn't heard from me. I have been here, sitting here, for maybe 3 hours. and nothing. This is a scam. "Thanks for visiting Skype! I'm Jane J..." My computer clock shows 12.01 when the message first shows up. What remedial action can I obtain? Is there any class action against SKYPE I join, and if not, can one be initiated. What are my options for justice? Is the review below for SKYPE or Consumer Affairs? I am marking it as if it is SKYPE.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2018

This is one of the worst companies you can do business with. They don't have phone support and you will sit on "Hold" for a chat for about 30 to 45 minutes. Then as you are chatting they will disconnect you and you will have to start ALL OVER AGAIN... They don't care about their service and their mission is to get you to sign up for services you don't need. AVOID THEM AT ALL COSTS!!! I have been waiting for over 1 HOUR FOR 2.99. THEY SUCK.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2018

I just found out that Skype will only refund credits bought within 14 days of purchase. Is this legal? In California gift cards purchased (basically advance credit) can't legally expire, so how does Skype get away with keeping money you paid them for credit which hasn't been used? Regarding another issue, in attempting to reach a Skype representative through their online chat feature, I waited for over 50 minutes as I was informed there was heavy volume, but I was still in line to reach an agent. When an agent finally came online, I was told they could not help me because a system update was in progress.

Anybody who knows anything about computer systems realizes they could have generated a message explaining that the system update was in progress and for customers to try again later, but, instead, their failure to implement a simple solution kept dozens of customers waiting, collectively, for hours. What's worse is that in chatting with a supervisor the next day, he didn't know enough to realize this and dismissed my suggestion, saying I didn't understand their system. Terrible customer service!

Original review: Jan. 16, 2018

I am a user of Skype, but today I had two emails; Refused payment and delivery for the purchase of the annual Phone number plan. But I did not use that for a long time, even I did not press the button for the auto payment. I called 5 times to the customer center, among talks of my complains, awkwardly, the connections stopped continually. My account did not show a refund button and live chat did not present. I felt stuck. How can I deal with this? I already had sent my email to contackus@skype.net, but the response is saying it is not valid; "Thanks for contacting Skype. This e-mail message cannot be delivered because the e-mail address is no longer valid. For support please click here." But this is the same cycle of no exit for the solution. The customer center said they do not have any email address, nor fax number, so when the phone connection by someone may be disrupted, no way to continue for complain.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

I created a Skype account in Brazil and transferred some money on it (for Skype out) using what is called a Boleto. Later on trying to access my account I couldn´t and was asked by a bot to fill in information about a historic with Microsoft to be able to recover this account and of course since it was a new account and I do not use Microsoft services/account because heavy resources consuming, I was refused the login recovery. Having to use Skype out I thought I would abandon this account and the credit I put and create another one which I did with skype out credit and this happens again. Is there nothing to prevent these big corporation to play around with the money of people like this? Is there any anti trust laws to allow competition and have better service?

Original review: Dec. 21, 2017

Have not used my Skype in a while, it would not open on my pc so on the internet I opened my account to find my balance zero! I had like 4.52 left and now in another country I need to make some calls. Chat support was a game of disconnects and person changes! Now I am waiting for a chat window to open again and it is not! Skype you crashed from my business forever. The same happened when PayPal bought Xoom! Now using Ria! Skype stole my balance and to even chat them is an insult.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2017

I have HAD trouble with Skype ripping me off constantly telling me my subscription are expired after I paid for three 90 day subscriptions less than 30 days ago and there is no way to talk to someone other than an online support chat. STAY AWAY FROM SKYPE. Nov 17 ** Skype Number, 3 month subscription, PayPal, $18.53 Delivered.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

I added $10 for credit calls and they charged me 3 times! Also just found out that they are charging me each time for extra $10 without asking and they have the worst customer service ever. I would give them zero stars if I can.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

I've been a PAYING CUSTOMER for about 15 years. The new look and feel is RUBBISH! Due to this silly new look/feel, I have lost valuable functionality such as add contacts easily, choosing which number to call e.g. skype/landline/mobile. Trying to add a new number, you can only do so by invite... ridiculous. SKYPE you have lost me as PAYING CUSTOMER. So long... I'm moving over to GOOGLE HANGOUTS today!

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

My son opened a Skype account with my credit card even though he already had access to an existing and current account. He prepaid $25. When I found out a few hours later, I agreed with him that this second account was not necessary and decided to cancel and to ask for a refund. I called their helpline and told them the story. They agreed that they would refund the amount and cancel the account. 90 minutes later we were still at it and I ran out of time. So I hung up on them. They are quite hopeless. I do not think that this is the fault of the {Indian] people who are supposed to provide help service. I think that Skype makes it on purpose difficult. If they charge my account I will dispute the charge. Just as well I did use a credit card and not a debit card. My advice to everybody - STAY AWAY.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2017

I had used Skype for several years without any issues, but in the past year I had experienced several problems. First the usage of my account was suspended and the only way to communicate it through their chat and they never fixed the problem. Next I began seeing multiple unauthorized CC charges totaling almost $300. No one from Skype chat could identify these charges.

Next I began receiving calls from a fake Microsoft who somehow managed to obtain all my Skype account information. This rep informed me that he was aware of two of the most recent unauthorized charges and informed me he had to charge more $ so the to my CC he had on file so the balance taken would be over $200. He said they cannot refund anything under $200. I told him this was a scam and asked how obtained my account information and told him to not take any of my $. I managed to block my CC before they could take another $108 from my card. I then contacted Skype through their chat and after spending over an hour of attempting to get some help with this obvious fraud I was disconnected and had no answers to my questions.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2017

My Skype mic crashes after 1-2 min and I can't fix it for months. And I have a paid Skype. It's outraging that I can't use a service I'm paying for and even have no way to request and get support. I have spent tons of time searching for the fix at Skype support and community web pages - waste of time. I'm going to demand the return of my money for all the time my Skype doesn't work properly. I guess that's this is a good example why monopolies fail.

Original review: July 26, 2017

Something is very wrong with Skype and I feel confused and taken advantaged of. I called a published number and spoke with a person called Lisa **. My concern was 3 payments for phone call credits were taken from my credit card account; 2 for $35. Each went to goskype.com and 1 for $35.00 went to skype.com.

Lisa said she could get credits reversed and after playing with my computer after letting her access it as it seemed like a real Skype technician, she said I would be charged so the hackers who entered my computer last May be found and that is who received the $105.00 credit charges by Skype. I have used Skype for over 10 years and this is the first time I have experienced theft of payments to another Skype account. I would like to hear from Skype directly as to this practice because some is very wrong if this can happen when it appears they got the funds and I did not get the credits. If anyone knows of a number I can call to speak with real Skype people please publish it. I have not used this form of public complaint system before so not sure what will happen.

Original review: July 23, 2017

Whenever I want to login to Skype the password area is inactive. Skype then asks whether I want to log in with another account or has problems logging in? Yes, I do have problems logging in! I am consequently forced to take the only available option of saying I forgot my password - which I did not. From here on I am put through the process of verification again. And again. And again. Every time I want to use. Good going Microsoft and Skype. I can only imagine Skype is losing users at an alarming rate. I am not a fan of Skype - always this stupid robot trying to fix the problem.

Original review: July 10, 2017

How did Microsoft screw up Skype? I just wasted hours of my life trying to find out why I can't have a greeting on my voicemail for the phone number I pay for. Why should Skype get the advantage of my AT&T voicemail that I also pay for? The whole point of getting the extra phone number was to use for people I don't want calling my "home" phone. I've used Skype since 2005 and I can't believe how convoluted the site has become with no customer support, just a continual loop in the "customer service" page of forums. Bleh! Canceling my Skype. Too bad. I loved it for the first seven years. But they don't care because no one at Skype will ever read this... apparently.

Original review: July 1, 2017

I can't sign in into my account because I was told by Skype that someone else was trying to use it. After I send all the info asked by Skype (name, DOB, etc) they are not able to recognize or the database, it's crap. So I'm done with Skype!!!

Original review: June 21, 2017

I have been a happy Skype customer for several years but lately I had such a terrible experience that made me change my mind (and voip provider). For the past few years I used to buy an yearly subscription and every year I would manually renew it (no auto renew). This year, I no longer need the subscription so I did not renew if for the year, however Skype decided to - for the first time - to do a auto renew and charge me 50.90USD. (Note this year skype reduced the price of a yearly subscription to 30 dollars and a few cents, and they charged me a hold rate! To reward old customers they make them go away!?)

I called the number listed near the transaction on my credit card and a Microsoft operator kept me at the phone almost 30 minutes to tell me that he could not solve the problem and transferred my call to somebody at the accounting office who could also not solve my problem. After that, often I would receive calls from Microsoft operators at least 3 times a week including Sunday's afternoon stating that they were willing to solve my problem but all they could do was to keep me at the phone 20 minutes at the time to conclude with, "You need to talk to the skype team" and not providing me a number to call the Skype team.

Finally I decided to start a skype chat with Skype assistance, and they said they could not refund me because "per new policy" auto renew is a standard procedure and they apply the old charge (50.90 $ instead of the new price 30.40 $). I asked my cc to dispute the charge. Microsoft Skype provided evidence that they could bill me with an auto renew as the new policy term had recently changed. I contacted Skype assistance with a chat again and insisted that the charge was unfair because 1. I am not using the service, 2. I am a old customer and never got auto renewed annual subscriptions, 3. it is unfair to apply a 50.90 charge when the current price is 30.40. The lady on the chat processed me a refund upon getting the manager approval.

To make the long story short: it took me 2 months and hours on the chat and phone calls to get my money back. I never had such an issue with a charge in my whole life. Companies try to retain customers and Skype seems not caring for their customers at all! Skype sucks. I never thought I would say it. This is my latest experience with Skype. I have no personal or business relationship with this establishment.

Original review: June 17, 2017

I do not know how, but last four years or so, my so called customer account (l do not even know what is my account, username etc., so l cannot cancel it), that has ''NEVER been used'' and does not have an active subscription or an active billing. Strangely I continue to get subscription charges from Skype for a NEVER USED account on my old UK credit card pension account. About three and half years ago, l have moved from United Kingdom to Bosnia and l tried dozens of times to reach Skype through their the ONLY email address ''contactus@skype.net'' but FAILED. Then l contacted my bank, they told me that me l have to go back to the branch and cancel the order in person!! Yet all I want to do is STOP this auto payments to STOP, but I cannot do so if it doesn't show on my Skype account. Can you please advise me what l have to do and at least provide some mail/address as how to CONTACT Skype - for an account that l have NEVER used.

Original review: June 6, 2017

Age verification demands Credit Card??? Really? And then try to sell an App immediately after? Come on Skype. Age verification is important but that's not the way to do it. How do we know the money you take to "verify" even goes to charity? You aren't interested in protecting minors. Just being greedy and underhanded. Don't you manage to data mine enough as it is?

Original review: May 15, 2017

I pay for a Skype in telephone number. I have received complaints that the number is not working recently so I called technical support. Evidently it's a global issue that has been going on for a month and they don't know when it will be fixed, meaning that people like me are paying for a service they are not receiving. They gave me a refund when I demanded it but I find it absolutely reprehensible and dishonest not to alert people when they are paying for a service they are not receiving. There is no mention of the problem anywhere on their website.

Original review: May 1, 2017

I decided to use Skype again after two years (Worked PERFECTLY before now) and I am VERY DISSATISFIED! I was FORCED to use Google Chrome AND I had to download two or three different extensions before I could even use any of the webcam feature. After being forced into installing a bunch of nonsense, I tried to video call the other person and no notification would pop up on their end, which I asked them to try me and nothing popped up on my end, either. Finally, I tried once more and no popup bothered to show; just some random noises. I tried about five more times and still got the same thing! SKYPE WORKED FINE BEFORE MICROSOFT BOUGHT IT!

Original review: April 19, 2017

I tried to call 888 335 9712 for Skype customer service. I spoke to Nicolas **, John ** and Peter. My problem is very simple but desperately need an assistance. Strangely my phone calls got always disconnected from their side after few minutes. Very very unprofessional service that I have never experienced before. All those people had very broken English and that made our communication even harder. I wasted so far an hour of my life but will have to keep trying because have to make my Company's Skype phone work.

Original review: April 16, 2017

Skype used to be great... then Microsoft bought them. My account was automatically rolled into MS when they took over. Almost the first thing they did was to add advertisements. In their zest to collect more money, they allowed too many different advertisers in and some of them slipped trojans into those banners. I picked three within the first 2-3 weeks and this was on a corporate machine fully protected with the latest anti-virus software. After a few months, they seemed to get this under control. Next, I decided to try the paid service and start making phone calls through Skype. I go in to add credits - and Microsoft will not allow it. I go through a long process of "unlocking" the account - but they won't budge.

I contact customer support - which is in the Philippines - using a chat window. I literally needed a translator for about half of the replies. I am definitely not from the grammar police, but this no help at all. They were unable to "unlock" the account (which I have owned for years). I asked for a "review" of the account to see if they could fix it - to no avail. They simply do not want to accept my money. They said I broke one of the terms of service. They did not say when and they did not say what. They did tell me it was for my account's protection - whatever that means.

In any case - I will never give them a cent now. They are the horribly run and have terrible policies - most of which are secret. What they are doing makes absolutely no sense at all. You would be better off getting two cans and tying string between them than using this service. I expect that after this review, they will cancel my account, but I no longer care. Worst customer service ever. Value? Can't tell since they are so stupid as not accept any payments. Quality - forget it.

Original review: March 16, 2017

On March 6, 2017 I received an e-mail from Skype reminding me that my account was inactive for 180 days and I have to use the service to keep my account active. On March 13, 2017 I received another e-mail telling me that my credit is inactive, but I can reactivate the credit at any time. I followed the instruction and Skype showed my balance $0.00 and I got the message: "There is no credit to reactivate." In January 2010, Skype rescinded their policy of seizing funds in Skype accounts that have been inactive (no paid call) for 180 days. This was in settlement of a class-action lawsuit (see Wikipedia - Skype). Apparently, they thought that seizing the unused credit for more than 180 days is more profitable for them.

On March 14, 2017 I called Skype Customer Service (CS representative name: Natasha) and I told her my story. She said that she must access my computer to verify Skype. I accepted and she told me that she found my computer infected with "torpig" (third party access -- torpig found) and she said that she has to talk with her supervisor. I told her that I need my credit back and I will deal with "torpig." She said that she cannot do that before talking with her supervisor. I told her that I know her intention and I said that I will not pay a dime. After one minute she told me that her supervisor approved that a specialist will help me and it will be a charge. I asked again to restore my credit. She said that is not possible before the problem is fixed and we end our conversation. I spent the rest of the day looking for "torpig," maybe she was right. I did not find it.

Next day I called Skype CS again and start all over with my story. This time the representative didn't offer to "fix" my computer but ended the call. Where can I file a legal complaint against Skype? My credit was not much, but this does not matter. They shouldn't keep my money. Maybe this is a new trick to get more profit. Abuse customers with small amount of credit, less likely to insist to get the credit back.

Original review: March 8, 2017

When creating a Skype account for my little brother, permission from a parent or guardian had to be given, and understandably so. But, there was then a mandatory $.50 fee in order to create the account. The price isn't a big deal; however, the fact that a supposed "free" service gives a mandatory fee just because of someone's age is absolutely ridiculous. Not to mention the fact that 12-14 year old can create FREE accounts on plenty of other social and gaming platforms all across the internet. Skype works well and all, but for them to go out of their way to charge such an insignificant amount of money on a free site baffles me.

Skype Company Information