1.19/5
  • 1 star
Based on 237 reviews that contain star ratings
Show rating distribution
Looking for a good VoIP provider?
We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 4, 2017

268 Skype Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

I've been a PAYING CUSTOMER for about 15 years. The new look and feel is RUBBISH! Due to this silly new look/feel, I have lost valuable functionality such as add contacts easily, choosing which number to call e.g. skype/landline/mobile. Trying to add a new number, you can only do so by invite... ridiculous. SKYPE you have lost me as PAYING CUSTOMER. So long... I'm moving over to GOOGLE HANGOUTS today!

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

My son opened a Skype account with my credit card even though he already had access to an existing and current account. He prepaid $25. When I found out a few hours later, I agreed with him that this second account was not necessary and decided to cancel and to ask for a refund. I called their helpline and told them the story. They agreed that they would refund the amount and cancel the account. 90 minutes later we were still at it and I ran out of time. So I hung up on them. They are quite hopeless. I do not think that this is the fault of the {Indian] people who are supposed to provide help service. I think that Skype makes it on purpose difficult. If they charge my account I will dispute the charge. Just as well I did use a credit card and not a debit card. My advice to everybody - STAY AWAY.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Sept. 18, 2017

I had used Skype for several years without any issues, but in the past year I had experienced several problems. First the usage of my account was suspended and the only way to communicate it through their chat and they never fixed the problem. Next I began seeing multiple unauthorized CC charges totaling almost $300. No one from Skype chat could identify these charges.

Next I began receiving calls from a fake Microsoft who somehow managed to obtain all my Skype account information. This rep informed me that he was aware of two of the most recent unauthorized charges and informed me he had to charge more $ so the to my CC he had on file so the balance taken would be over $200. He said they cannot refund anything under $200. I told him this was a scam and asked how obtained my account information and told him to not take any of my $. I managed to block my CC before they could take another $108 from my card. I then contacted Skype through their chat and after spending over an hour of attempting to get some help with this obvious fraud I was disconnected and had no answers to my questions.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2017

My Skype mic crashes after 1-2 min and I can't fix it for months. And I have a paid Skype. It's outraging that I can't use a service I'm paying for and even have no way to request and get support. I have spent tons of time searching for the fix at Skype support and community web pages - waste of time. I'm going to demand the return of my money for all the time my Skype doesn't work properly. I guess that's this is a good example why monopolies fail.

Original review: July 26, 2017

Something is very wrong with Skype and I feel confused and taken advantaged of. I called a published number and spoke with a person called Lisa **. My concern was 3 payments for phone call credits were taken from my credit card account; 2 for $35. Each went to goskype.com and 1 for $35.00 went to skype.com.

Lisa said she could get credits reversed and after playing with my computer after letting her access it as it seemed like a real Skype technician, she said I would be charged so the hackers who entered my computer last May be found and that is who received the $105.00 credit charges by Skype. I have used Skype for over 10 years and this is the first time I have experienced theft of payments to another Skype account. I would like to hear from Skype directly as to this practice because some is very wrong if this can happen when it appears they got the funds and I did not get the credits. If anyone knows of a number I can call to speak with real Skype people please publish it. I have not used this form of public complaint system before so not sure what will happen.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Skype?

Original review: July 23, 2017

Whenever I want to login to Skype the password area is inactive. Skype then asks whether I want to log in with another account or has problems logging in? Yes, I do have problems logging in! I am consequently forced to take the only available option of saying I forgot my password - which I did not. From here on I am put through the process of verification again. And again. And again. Every time I want to use. Good going Microsoft and Skype. I can only imagine Skype is losing users at an alarming rate. I am not a fan of Skype - always this stupid robot trying to fix the problem.

Original review: July 10, 2017

How did Microsoft screw up Skype? I just wasted hours of my life trying to find out why I can't have a greeting on my voicemail for the phone number I pay for. Why should Skype get the advantage of my AT&T voicemail that I also pay for? The whole point of getting the extra phone number was to use for people I don't want calling my "home" phone. I've used Skype since 2005 and I can't believe how convoluted the site has become with no customer support, just a continual loop in the "customer service" page of forums. Bleh! Canceling my Skype. Too bad. I loved it for the first seven years. But they don't care because no one at Skype will ever read this... apparently.

Original review: July 1, 2017

I can't sign in into my account because I was told by Skype that someone else was trying to use it. After I send all the info asked by Skype (name, DOB, etc) they are not able to recognize or the database, it's crap. So I'm done with Skype!!!

Original review: June 21, 2017

I have been a happy Skype customer for several years but lately I had such a terrible experience that made me change my mind (and voip provider). For the past few years I used to buy an yearly subscription and every year I would manually renew it (no auto renew). This year, I no longer need the subscription so I did not renew if for the year, however Skype decided to - for the first time - to do a auto renew and charge me 50.90USD. (Note this year skype reduced the price of a yearly subscription to 30 dollars and a few cents, and they charged me a hold rate! To reward old customers they make them go away!?)

I called the number listed near the transaction on my credit card and a Microsoft operator kept me at the phone almost 30 minutes to tell me that he could not solve the problem and transferred my call to somebody at the accounting office who could also not solve my problem. After that, often I would receive calls from Microsoft operators at least 3 times a week including Sunday's afternoon stating that they were willing to solve my problem but all they could do was to keep me at the phone 20 minutes at the time to conclude with, "You need to talk to the skype team" and not providing me a number to call the Skype team.

Finally I decided to start a skype chat with Skype assistance, and they said they could not refund me because "per new policy" auto renew is a standard procedure and they apply the old charge (50.90 $ instead of the new price 30.40 $). I asked my cc to dispute the charge. Microsoft Skype provided evidence that they could bill me with an auto renew as the new policy term had recently changed. I contacted Skype assistance with a chat again and insisted that the charge was unfair because 1. I am not using the service, 2. I am a old customer and never got auto renewed annual subscriptions, 3. it is unfair to apply a 50.90 charge when the current price is 30.40. The lady on the chat processed me a refund upon getting the manager approval.

To make the long story short: it took me 2 months and hours on the chat and phone calls to get my money back. I never had such an issue with a charge in my whole life. Companies try to retain customers and Skype seems not caring for their customers at all! Skype sucks. I never thought I would say it. This is my latest experience with Skype. I have no personal or business relationship with this establishment.

Original review: June 17, 2017

I do not know how, but last four years or so, my so called customer account (l do not even know what is my account, username etc., so l cannot cancel it), that has ''NEVER been used'' and does not have an active subscription or an active billing. Strangely I continue to get subscription charges from Skype for a NEVER USED account on my old UK credit card pension account. About three and half years ago, l have moved from United Kingdom to Bosnia and l tried dozens of times to reach Skype through their the ONLY email address ''contactus@skype.net'' but FAILED. Then l contacted my bank, they told me that me l have to go back to the branch and cancel the order in person!! Yet all I want to do is STOP this auto payments to STOP, but I cannot do so if it doesn't show on my Skype account. Can you please advise me what l have to do and at least provide some mail/address as how to CONTACT Skype - for an account that l have NEVER used.

Original review: June 6, 2017

Age verification demands Credit Card??? Really? And then try to sell an App immediately after? Come on Skype. Age verification is important but that's not the way to do it. How do we know the money you take to "verify" even goes to charity? You aren't interested in protecting minors. Just being greedy and underhanded. Don't you manage to data mine enough as it is?

Original review: May 15, 2017

I pay for a Skype in telephone number. I have received complaints that the number is not working recently so I called technical support. Evidently it's a global issue that has been going on for a month and they don't know when it will be fixed, meaning that people like me are paying for a service they are not receiving. They gave me a refund when I demanded it but I find it absolutely reprehensible and dishonest not to alert people when they are paying for a service they are not receiving. There is no mention of the problem anywhere on their website.

Original review: May 1, 2017

I decided to use Skype again after two years (Worked PERFECTLY before now) and I am VERY DISSATISFIED! I was FORCED to use Google Chrome AND I had to download two or three different extensions before I could even use any of the webcam feature. After being forced into installing a bunch of nonsense, I tried to video call the other person and no notification would pop up on their end, which I asked them to try me and nothing popped up on my end, either. Finally, I tried once more and no popup bothered to show; just some random noises. I tried about five more times and still got the same thing! SKYPE WORKED FINE BEFORE MICROSOFT BOUGHT IT!

Original review: April 19, 2017

I tried to call 888 335 9712 for Skype customer service. I spoke to Nicolas **, John ** and Peter. My problem is very simple but desperately need an assistance. Strangely my phone calls got always disconnected from their side after few minutes. Very very unprofessional service that I have never experienced before. All those people had very broken English and that made our communication even harder. I wasted so far an hour of my life but will have to keep trying because have to make my Company's Skype phone work.

Original review: April 16, 2017

Skype used to be great... then Microsoft bought them. My account was automatically rolled into MS when they took over. Almost the first thing they did was to add advertisements. In their zest to collect more money, they allowed too many different advertisers in and some of them slipped trojans into those banners. I picked three within the first 2-3 weeks and this was on a corporate machine fully protected with the latest anti-virus software. After a few months, they seemed to get this under control. Next, I decided to try the paid service and start making phone calls through Skype. I go in to add credits - and Microsoft will not allow it. I go through a long process of "unlocking" the account - but they won't budge.

I contact customer support - which is in the Philippines - using a chat window. I literally needed a translator for about half of the replies. I am definitely not from the grammar police, but this no help at all. They were unable to "unlock" the account (which I have owned for years). I asked for a "review" of the account to see if they could fix it - to no avail. They simply do not want to accept my money. They said I broke one of the terms of service. They did not say when and they did not say what. They did tell me it was for my account's protection - whatever that means.

In any case - I will never give them a cent now. They are the horribly run and have terrible policies - most of which are secret. What they are doing makes absolutely no sense at all. You would be better off getting two cans and tying string between them than using this service. I expect that after this review, they will cancel my account, but I no longer care. Worst customer service ever. Value? Can't tell since they are so stupid as not accept any payments. Quality - forget it.

Original review: March 16, 2017

On March 6, 2017 I received an e-mail from Skype reminding me that my account was inactive for 180 days and I have to use the service to keep my account active. On March 13, 2017 I received another e-mail telling me that my credit is inactive, but I can reactivate the credit at any time. I followed the instruction and Skype showed my balance $0.00 and I got the message: "There is no credit to reactivate." In January 2010, Skype rescinded their policy of seizing funds in Skype accounts that have been inactive (no paid call) for 180 days. This was in settlement of a class-action lawsuit (see Wikipedia - Skype). Apparently, they thought that seizing the unused credit for more than 180 days is more profitable for them.

On March 14, 2017 I called Skype Customer Service (CS representative name: Natasha) and I told her my story. She said that she must access my computer to verify Skype. I accepted and she told me that she found my computer infected with "torpig" (third party access -- torpig found) and she said that she has to talk with her supervisor. I told her that I need my credit back and I will deal with "torpig." She said that she cannot do that before talking with her supervisor. I told her that I know her intention and I said that I will not pay a dime. After one minute she told me that her supervisor approved that a specialist will help me and it will be a charge. I asked again to restore my credit. She said that is not possible before the problem is fixed and we end our conversation. I spent the rest of the day looking for "torpig," maybe she was right. I did not find it.

Next day I called Skype CS again and start all over with my story. This time the representative didn't offer to "fix" my computer but ended the call. Where can I file a legal complaint against Skype? My credit was not much, but this does not matter. They shouldn't keep my money. Maybe this is a new trick to get more profit. Abuse customers with small amount of credit, less likely to insist to get the credit back.

Original review: March 8, 2017

When creating a Skype account for my little brother, permission from a parent or guardian had to be given, and understandably so. But, there was then a mandatory $.50 fee in order to create the account. The price isn't a big deal; however, the fact that a supposed "free" service gives a mandatory fee just because of someone's age is absolutely ridiculous. Not to mention the fact that 12-14 year old can create FREE accounts on plenty of other social and gaming platforms all across the internet. Skype works well and all, but for them to go out of their way to charge such an insignificant amount of money on a free site baffles me.

Original review: March 2, 2017

Bought a new PC and set up Skype with my Skype name and password - no go!!! Tried to reset numerous times asking for a call back with the security code - that NEVER happens!! Strangely enough, Skype works like a charm on my Surface Pro!

Original review: Feb. 15, 2017

I use Skype for my business. I have a Skype manager's account to make calls and a Skype number that I use and I accidentally allocated skype credit to one of my accounts. I contacted their live chat team and I am not impressed to say the least. Although they are a multi billion dollar company they are not able to transfer money back from a Skype account to a Skype manager's account which means that I am left with a load of credit that won't be used as I buy bundles from the Skype managers account. On multiple occasions the service has been down for a day or two at a time which means that no one can contact me and I can't contact anyone. Their live chat team are as useless as their poor service. I would strongly recommend anyone considering to use their service to have a look around for an alternative even if it's slightly more expensive.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2017

I have no problem with the software at all. The main issue is that it is owned by Microsoft. It seems like anything they own they go way too far with security. This is now the third account I have been permanently locked out for trying to login from a different device. I just wish Microsoft could realize that more security is not always a good thing if it impedes on accessibility for the account owner. For example my front door has a lock... If Microsoft owned it, it would have, three locks with three different keys, a finger scan, an eye scan, email verification, phone verification, face recognition and then one would fail due to how dodgy their products are and result in me not being able to enter. Do not use this product unless you are forced to for business like me.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2017

I had a debit card number stolen a few years back. I was able to recover fraudulent charges made by every single one of the transactions...except Skype. I was unable to contact anyone. They are like a phantom presence on the internet. When I tried various methods with no luck I just decided to forget about it and eat the $50 charges made by an anonymous thief. Skype is something I use on a limited basis but I would never pay them a dime for using any of the services. As far as I am concerned, they owe me money.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2017

Having had my initial Skype account (created 16 years ago) blocked due to many log-on attempts as the result of entering an incorrect password, meant losing all the credit left on my account. Reading all the reviews, I can only assume that Skype is intentionally and systematically trying to use "security" as an excuse to generate extra sales, in particular for the less frequently used and older accounts. Resetting the Skype PW, including the Microsoft one, is made so complicated and cumbersome, that any mere mortal soul will stick their hands up and admit defeat after the 14th attempt, happily giving up their money and walking away. :-( I would like to congratulate Skype and Microsoft for devising a business model which undoubtedly is and will be duplicated by other companies who have decided to follow the mission of "let's screw as many customers as we possibly can. Data Privacy will provide the perfect cover."

Original review: Jan. 3, 2017

I am writing this to congratulate Skype on its epic fail. Firstly, out of the blue it sends me an email saying that I have been locked out of my account and that I need to follow through some security questions before it will put my account back online. Interestingly this is just after I had decided to sign up to one of their fixed monthly subscriptions. OK, security is important so I follow the link given and am then subject to a tirade of questions about my account where I am expected to remember things like the last Skype call I made, the exact amount after tax of my last subscription and a host of other questions that defy belief. How is that most companies just ask you to confirm your date of birth, a secret question maybe and possibly the last 4 digits of your credit card? This company is something else.

I spend ages following through on each question, including a section which worries me where they ask for my complete credit card details. This over intrusive, overzealous and clearly unreasonable behavior is from Microsoft. Let’s face it. Ever since they took over Skype they have gone out of their way to link all Microsoft accounts together so if you have an email with them they link it up with your Microsoft Office and your Skype and anything else they can link it up with. This is intrusive beyond belief.

I complete the online series of questions and receive an email some time later saying that I failed to complete their security checks. This is an account I have been running for over a decade where I have spent over 1000 dollars over the last couple of years making calls overseas. I have never had any trouble with it. It just worked fine until Microsoft got their dirty paws on it.

So, now I have an account I cannot log in to and cannot access. There is no other method of contacting them to resolve this other than going back to their form and trying again. How ridiculous. What an outstanding failure in customer service. I log in to my PayPal account and cancel my subscription with them and put a stop to auto top-ups. I am now bombarded by "Do not reply" emails reminding me that my subscription has failed and that they will cancel my subscription. I ask you, "What good is it anyway!"

Clearly the guys at Microsoft have lost the plot or perhaps they have been asked to shed customers fast for some reason known only to themselves. With all the other alternatives to Skype you would think that they might be a bit more savvy in customer retention. Seriously folks, do yourselves a big favour and dump this lot before the same thing happens to you. Oh, and by the way, if you are a Skype customer service troll trying to limit online damage by replying and saying that this issue is resolved or that if I click this link or that link you will assist - the answer is NO THANKS. I have found a better alternative with a company that still values customer service and which is half the price of your Skype.

The corporate plankton at Skype with their arrogant and incredibly stupid strategy can all congratulate themselves on the super effective speed at which they have managed to alienate thousands of users. Perhaps they can put this achievement on their resumes and on their "Seeking a Job" profiles! They will certainly need to be thinking about a career change sometime soon if this is the best they can do.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2016

After my Skype account had its latest regular automatic top up, several hours later, I received an email from Skype stating that the auto top-up would be reversed and a refund would be returned in 5-7business days! (Why so quick to take my money but so slow to return it???) I then tried to open my Skype only to find that it had been suspended and my auto top-up function disabled. After wasting 30 minutes on diagnostics, I was able to reactivate my account and reinstate auto top-up. Upon contacting Skype to find out why this had happened, they cited that my account (which had been running smoothly for years with auto top-up enabled) did not pass their anti fraud measures and there were suspicious activities. I pointed out that all my transactions/activities were visible on the usage history and charge history and asked them to identify exactly which ones were suspicious. They said they could not.

When I asked why they could not, they stated "because we do not have any control over that it's the system that detects the activities that may cause the account to be restricted." It was found that in fact, there indeed was NO suspicious activity on my account. I explained that I wasted at least 30 mins of my valuable time (and international calls to my bank) over something that was entirely avoidable and unnecessary and asked to be compensated. It seems Skype is unrepentant at wasting customers time with such false alarms and tries to justify this behind the guise security measures for the greater good when in fact, it is clear they are implementing new security protocols which have not been adequately scrutinised and tested before being released live on customers accounts!

The Skype IT department has much to answer for in this regard. I am not sure what's worse: Skype not having any control over their own security protocols (as they have already admitted) or a possible malicious cyber attack from outside sources! Customers time is valuable. Skype needs to recognise this before releasing new security protocols that have not undergone adequate scrutiny and highly rigorous testing BEFORE going live and affecting customers accounts. Therefore, customers need to be compensated for their time and expense caused by such a poorly thought out security protocol and it's obvious premature release that is what it means to be responsible and accountable. A mere blanket verbal apology in the form of a disclaimer at the end of an email is not enough. Words mean nothing; only action counts!

For new security protocols to identify customers accounts as being compromised when they clearly are not, suggests that these security measures have FAILED. During the course of my conversation with the Skype consultant, it appears Skype defends this failure citing it is better to be safer and sorry. It is indeed fortunate that those in charge of Skype are not medical professionals. After all, if this type of security overkill was to be adopted by the medical profession, one might find doctors treating the pain of an in-grown toe nail, by amputating the entire foot!

Original review: Oct. 24, 2016

How can a company like Microsoft screw Skype up so comprehensively as to render it unusable each time it is needed. The cryptic "Skype cannot connect" is a stupid irrational comment that should say "We need to update" and "please turn off your antivirus software whilst we do the update". Any attempt at updating fails because the antivirus is active. Not that Microsoft gives any indication of why Skype can't connect - is it my machine, my ISP or the internet in general? And you expect my wife to sort this out? She missed so many important calls because of Microsoft's insanity and I waste another 20 mins of MY TIME dealing with this. FAIL Microsoft big time. You've screwed something up that was a godsend in connectivity until you got hold of it.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2016

Worst company I have ever dealt with. I created an account. Managed it, and then the next time I try to log on. It said my information was incorrect. DUH. So I go through the whole FAQ thing, and then they recover your account crap. Once I did that, and answered all the questions they ask, they still would not help me. Just kept sending me blocked access. I ask them if I could speak to someone. No way. I paid a year's service in advance, of over $80, and when I told them I wanted my money back, they said since I can't log into the service, they can't refund my money. I hope someone launches an investigation into this crap company. They just stole my money, and refuses to help me. I will never do business with this company again, and will make sure all my clients are informed of this companies, terrible customer service. Worst I have ever had to deal with.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2016

The quality of customer service is UNBELIEVABLE! How can a company this big fail so miserably at customer service? While simply trying to close a duplicate account I am sent through maze of FAQ posts, none of which I want! I just want to close my account! You can't even email them or open a support ticket, just... wow... Their site just sends you through loops of FAQ answers, the only way to actually contact them directly is through live chat, which would be great except that the expected wait time is 15 minutes!

Original review: Sept. 29, 2016

Can Skype be the least intuitive, worst service on the planet? Why on earth would it allow me to use the same email address? I couldn't find a message on the portal to save my life. When asked what's my Skype username, I am flummoxed by the inability to find this information, only to be able to ask the question when I sign out of the program because it is what I have to use to sign on. Apparently I have two accounts with the same email address. Who knew? WTF??? My business account that is administered by my boss, we can't figure out the password for the life of us! We can't change it either without having to change the account's master password. This is TERRIBLE way of preventing a user to manage their account. I am so livid. It gives me chills.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2016

Twice I tried to make phone calls after providing my credit card to create credits. I've used Skype in the past and it was no problem but now both myself and my husband had problems with Skype. I am so frustrated I'm not quite sure I'll ever try using Skype again. Their online support is terrible and why would I want to look at community support for an answer???

Original review: Sept. 23, 2016

I have been using Skype for 15+ years for chatting and making international calls, less much lately as I used to, so I have some small funds remaining in my account for a while. Suddenly one day I was trying to call my brother whom I have called many times in the past but Skype keeps saying my account is blocked for paid service. I am still able to log in and see account balances but I cannot make calls to other countries.

I asked customer service several times of several different people and they would not tell me why they blocked my paid service, referring me to the terms and conditions junk. I asked to close my account and get my money back but they refused citing it is partially blocked - how convenient, even though they have verified that I am the owner of the account.

Basically I cannot make calls using the remaining funds, and I cannot get the money back. They will take the remaining funds and put them into their pocket - which could be a significant amount if 500,000 are cheated by them. I have never seen a business stealing customers' money like this! Is there anything we can do other than complaining here?

Skype Company Information