3.78/5

Looking for a good VoIP provider?

Skype

Looking for a good VoIP provider?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

Skype Reviews

Original review: Oct. 25, 2019

I've used Skype several times and it usually works well. You need to have a strong signal in order for the image to come through clearly. Definitely superior to a regular phone call since you can see the person who you are chatting with. Plus, it's free.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2019

Generally works well. Video and audio mesh up well without lags. I wish they would move to H.265 or something that requires less bandwidth and data usage. I use it daily and I keep bumping into my data cap. I do find it interesting though that the only time I get a call satisfaction survey from Skype, is when it has performed well. With all the metadata involved in utilizing skype, they already know, based on metrics around network congestion, location, background processes and performance in my laptop, etc, whether the skype call was successful. The survey is simply to provide positive numbers to the mothership. Misleading.

Get expert buying tips about VoIP Internet Phone Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
      Original review: Oct. 21, 2019

We use Skype for business and most of the time it operates very well, but there are times when we can not connect or share screens. It makes it frustrating and hard to communicate from different countries. However; when it does work it is great and we are able to get a lot accomplished.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2019

Whether business or friends and family, Skype gives us the ability to reach others face to face. It is convenient to use and to set up a good time with anyone. I recommend this to anyone who wants to stay in touch with your parents, grandchildren or any other people who mean so much to you. If you own a business it gives you the opportunity to have meetings, discuss future endeavors or just set up this weeks business plans.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2019

I love that I am able to talk to my family face to face over seas. Sometimes the connection is not so good and there is interference. I’m never sure if it’s my end or theirs. The simple fact that I have this option is amazing and being free?! Outstanding!! Skype not only makes my life happier in more ways than one, but also a lot easier as well.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Skype?

Original review: Nov. 4, 2019

There was a time when Skype was good and provided good customer support. It was never excellent but it was at least, not horrible, like it is now. I received an email from Skype informing that my $201.93 credit would become inactive in 7 days. I logged in today to request a refund via Live Chat. Getting the run around would be better than how I was treated. The first agent said that the time had lapsed to request a refund and that essentially, it's a "use it or lose it" and that I should just make some calls using Skype. I asked to speak to a supervisor who indicated that they do not issue refunds per their terms of agreement.

This actually is untrue. Their refund documentation says that it is at the discretion of Skype whether or not to issue a refund so essentially, they just do not want to issue a refund. I then Googled and found an 888 customer support number figuring maybe if I spoke to a person. The person answering the phone didn't even identify the company, all he said was "support." I asked if this is "Skype Customer Support" and if so, why didn't he say the company name. He simply said- "this is Skype, what do you want?" I was so taken aback that I said "Wow" to which he responded "Yes, Wow, what do you want?"

Now I have heard of rude and unprofessional customer service but this is some 'next level' stuff. Even though I no longer use their product (and would recommend to everyone NOT to use their product) because you can find better, less expensive options out there, I am going to use it to run out the credit because I refuse to let them keep $201.93 of my hard-earned money when they are so unprofessional and clearly do not value or respect customers. Find a company that actually values, respects, and appreciates customers and AVOID Skype!!!

Original review: Nov. 3, 2019

I recently had to reinstall my Operating System. As a result, Skype stopped working. When I tried to reinstall Skype, they demanded my password, and I gave them my old PW. The program insisted my password was wrong and sent me into an endless feedback loop of, "sorry, wrong password, try again". I can no longer use Skype. They actually owe me money, but there is no way to contact them. Their online support does not work; there is no way to contact a real person to get help. THERE IS NO WAY TO CONTACT SKYPE BY PHONE. Skype info will say this, if you dig deep enough. I have encountered hundreds of desperate appeals online for help with Skype. MANY people are having this problem. Skype is not a functional service, because there is no way to break into their feedback loop. Want to make a free phone call online with no hassles? There are many alternatives to Skype now, just look online. I am using https://www.poptox.com/.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2019

Skype always includes oncoming updates & presented to individual customers, but they disgracefully do not include additional details or steps upon their following page for including that whatsoever.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2019

I had originally signed up with Skype for traveling and maintaining contact with friends and family, however since I'm not traveling like that anymore don't need this service so tried to cancel Skype and found it was impossible and no contact info to talk to a real person. So here I am paying an annual fee for a service I do not use. Consequently, am very unhappy with this company, and would not recommend it to anyone.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2019

Skype has not kept up with changing technology. Other apps provide more options for connection and productivity (ex MS Teams). I used to use Skype every day to connect to co-workers and even for some presentations, but MS Teams allows us more flexibility.

Skype Company Information