1.18/5
Based on 261 reviews that contain star ratings

Looking for a good VoIP provider?

292 Skype Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

About eight years ago, when I was still using Microsoft Windows. I signed up for SKYPE. I haven't used Windows in all that time, and cannot use SKYPE. I use LINUX. I long ago lost my password, but there is no way to retrieve it, since all my information is gone. They have been billing me ever since, and there is no way to stop it. Went to my bank and tried a stop hold. They told me I have to contact SKYPE. Well, there IS NO WAY to contact them. You have to sign into your Microsoft account. Which I don't have! What a ripoff! So I am being billed quarterly for something I have never used!

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

Skype used to be a good fairly simple messenger - reliable with extras. Now that Microsoft owns the product it's not for human use. The tip that a software product is in trouble is when management starts touting colors of interfaces. Easy settings are gone - just try to find blocked users to unblock etc etc. We are now being tormented by Microsoft morons in peer pressure or how to best please and praise the manager. Shame on you all you morons. You have ripped us off.

Get expert buying tips about VoIP Internet Phone Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

It's the "Microsoft Curse" - anytime Microsoft takes over a great product, it rapidly becomes worse. I've been using Skype for almost 10 years, and it used to be the absolute best for online communication - now it's the absolute worst. And in the last year or so, every time it does an automatic update, it shockingly gets even worse than it was before. Time to start getting our company to move over to a different system.

Original review: July 25, 2018

I've used Skype on laptops for years, the latest being under Windows 10. Last week, Skype notified me that my 'old' Skype would be automatically changed to a new and better one. After the switch, however, I found that: the new screen interface was very inferior and unhelpful, all my Contacts list had been erased, all sound (in and out) was lost, despite the sound and mike icons showing OK, Skype's online FAQs were next to useless. In desperation, I decided to uninstall Skype and then download the new version afresh, and install it using a new username and password.

Initially, things looked OK as after uninstalling and restarting the laptop my program registry showed Skype was no longer installed and the Skype icon disappeared from my home screen. However, suddenly the Skype icon reappeared. I tried to download Skype afresh but the Skype website informed me that Skype was already installed and it blocked my attempt to download it. So, it looks like me and thousands of others who are reporting similar problems are being forced now to abandon Skype forever. Three cheers for the techno-nerd at Skype who dreamt up the 'new' Skype. No doubt he or she will get a big pay rise and a promotion.

Original review: July 21, 2018

I had a plan with Skype for like $18.99 a month or something like that. I found that I wasn’t using it, so I called customer services & I cancelled it. Well for like a year & a half, they continued to randomly bill my debit card. I called customer service several times, & they said that they would fix it. Yet I was seeing charges on my debit card. At one point after billing me, I called Customer Service again and was yelled at and told that someone would call me back in three days. Of course I never heard a word. Their customer service is horrible! Then I would have to call my bank & they would reverse the charges & block their name from future billing.

So then Skype kept SLIGHTLY changing their name, and so they were able bill my card & charge me for services I didn’t even have. I had to literally check my card on a regular consistent basis and try and catch Skype in the process of trying to screw me over. This went on for close to a year & a half after I canceled. It has FINALLY stopped completely ONLY because I have a different debit card now. They are a very sneaky, underhanded company with no business ethics whatsoever. They could care less about their customers. DO NOT get involved with Skype.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Skype?

Original review: July 12, 2018

I accidentally clicked on update when I opened my Skype account and didn't realize that I was actually signing in to a Microsoft account that I did not want. Subsequently all easier account info seemed to be gone, and the new account was not intuitive nor did I want a new one. So I spent 45 minutes on a chat line (they don't offer phone contact for help) and it became an absolutely horrible experience - a series of Catch 22s that essentially mean it will take hours just to get out of their service, if I can at all. I will have to contact my bank to stop all payments to them on my account (the old one that I can't seem to access now). WHAT IS THE ALTERNATIVE TO SKYPE???

Original review: July 9, 2018

Had a decent enough working Skype account with lots of phone numbers of overseas friends and family, with credit for calls. Suddenly this year I'm told by a relative my Skype isn't working. I go to my account and discover everything is wiped out. I tried to get restarted. Going through a maze of Microsoft requirements and find myself paying $3 a month for a subscription that I purchased apparently. Several notices warning me $28 credit will be deactivated unless I make a call and use Skype.

Can't make a call without going through my contacts again. Made one call to a relative and no reply. Skype keeps sending me emails to reactivate my credit to sign in, then click on Reactivate Credit. Then it tells me I have zero credit. I'm 75 and trying to keep up with changes, this one has me screaming with frustration and the stress at my age isn't worth it. Skype or Microsoft just want your money but won't give you live customer service, just an endless loop of robots. Forget Skype.

Original review: July 4, 2018

I have not used Skype for two years now. I tried to recover the account. They even recognised the email but they failed to send me verification code. Their service is awful. It's time to Stop using Skype.

Original review: June 19, 2018

I've used Skype for my small home business for years. Call quality has been spotty. But not too bad. Features are serviceable, for the most part. BUT... the two biggest problems for me... Skype no longer lets you know via email when you miss a call or have a voice message. You simply have to keep an eye on your Skype app or PC's toolbar to make sure you haven't missed anyone. And you have to make sure your Skype app is always open or you'll never know when, if someone calls or leaves a message until you bonk your head and open Skype to find missed calls.

I dare ANYONE to find useful information or help from Skype. You can't easily PAY them or upgrade a subscription or renew easily. It's worse than pulling teeth. I always DREAD having to deal with my Skype account because something that should take less than a minute can take hours and you often can't find what you need or you can't do what you're trying to do. Most unhelpful and unusable site online. Try and change your number subscription from month to month to a year plan. You can't. Oh, and there's no such thing as 'customer service'. It doesn't exist. I'm currently trying to get away from them...

Original review: May 21, 2018

When I received a friend from England want to know why I was sending messages in Russian, which is a language I don't speak, I checked my account and found over 100 names added to my contact list of names and subtitles in Russian. He reported that although the profile photo was a image of me, but not the profile image I uploaded. I SEARCHED AND SEARCHED AND PLEADED with Skype/Microsoft for help recovering my account and I was COMPLETELY IGNORED. It was then that I found out that Skype is not owned by Microsoft, which explains the other issues I've been having, along with a couple of other friends. I even tried sending screenshots to the Facebook account & asking for help on their Facebook page. They only responded to people who didn't have issues and deleted mine. It's been 2 weeks and still no support.

Original review: May 20, 2018

When I got this pc, I removed any programs I didn't use or want. Skype was one of them. It's nowhere to be found in my programs list, I got rid of it. Yet today, Bitdefender says Skype is vulnerable and I should update to a newer version! I'm like, WHAT? I don't have Skype! But Skype insists on sending me an upgrade!

Original review: April 17, 2018

First, since Microsoft took over SKYPE, the website and the service have become awful. But yesterday, they hit a new low with me. They 'stole' $25.00 that I was trying to add as credit to my SKYPE account. After a long waste of time with a tech support person, she said I had redeemed that money for some other Microsoft purchase. I had not. I asked what I redeemed it for. "I can't tell you that. But rest assured I will pass you on to senior support who will try to help you". How much time should a person be expected to waste for $25.00? I cancelled the account. I hope I'm clear of them. She said she was sorry.

Original review: March 22, 2018

This week I opened up my Skype account. Granted, I had not been in for about 10 days, but when I opened it, I couldn't recognize it at all. My contact list has been pushed to the side with tiny icons in order to make room, I guess, for ads. The usual features have been changed, and they have removed the 'Away' yellow button, which was a good thing to let others know you might be on a call. Now it's just Green/Active or Red/Do not Disturb (which I find rude) or Invisible if you decide you need to hide from someone for some reason (so why bother keeping them in your contact list ?).

Generally, it is unclear as to how this new system works, and I note that there has been no warning to me in advance and no offer to explain the new system or why it was put into place. Really, I used to use it daily, now I am reluctant to re-learn it or use it at all. Learning WhatsApp group calls instead...until they change THAT! :( IT's an exciting world in lots of different ways, right?

Original review: March 17, 2018

I need Skype for an online class I am taking. But when I log on, I never know what I will get. Everything will be fine for a couple of weeks, and then I will try to get in and can't, and then finally sometimes I get the basic welcome greeting with all my contacts and content missing, as if I am starting over each time. I keep looking at my account, and sometimes a subscription shows up and sometimes it doesn't. Do I have more than one or two accounts? I can't tell what is going on, and I can't get any help.

Original review: March 13, 2018

So when I sign into my email it signs me onto Skype. I don't want that so I wanted to remove Skype. They said the only way I can remove Skype is if I remove my email. That has to be illegal to force me to keep Skype or I lose my email account. They said delete the old email make a new email and then Skype won't be connected. But if I sign up with Skype it's linked to my email forever. I am forced to keep it. That is not legal to do. There is no way they can force us to keep Skype or we lose our personal email. Something has to be done about this.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2018

Skype won't even let me use their program. They are blocking me for some unknown reason. They say I have been using the wrong password too many times (They won't accept the correct one). I have tried creating new accounts, and I get the same thing. Customer service is the pits, they have no idea of what they're doing. I wouldn't even give them one star if I could help it!

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

On 16th Feb 2018 I went to use my SKYPE with Aus $29 credit on account. I have held this account for 11 years. It asked me to remit all my details. I did this as best as I could remember. Went to use it, and it blocked me out. I then went in search of someone I could call on SKYPE. It does not exist. They pretend they started the chat at 10.55am. What a lie. This Jayne says she has finished my chat at 11 am. There is nobody there. When I answer immediately, on my computer it is 12.30. As soon as... immediately I get the first communication. I return to the second screen at 12.33pm (I opened 2 help request screens) which is still live. It has also now been showing 35 for well over half an hour. Is this the magic number when it cuts you off... and then suddenly a message will appear to say I did not answer? What is going on? Surely this must breach American trading standards.

So NO doubt I will never be able to access my account again, with $29 on it... profit for SKYPE... big loss on so many levels for me. Why is this allowed? Are my details as secure as my money... which is zero? Why is there no number I can contact? Nobody to talk to? Except for scam CHAT lines that are almost impossible to contact in the first place. Finally I got through to a chat line with a wait of 75 in front. It then said It had opened my chat in a different window. I went looking and it looks like I had 2 separate windows. I sat in front of the computer for over 2 hours. At 35 it stayed stationary for over half an hours. Suddenly it came up with someone called Jayne showing a time of 10.55am. This is fraudulent. It never appeared on my screen, only that I was 35 in line. It then goes on to say "pardon me for asking but I just wanted to ask if we are still connected."

I am still staring at a blank screen, alternating with the other window which has opened which was down to 42 and stationary. Suddenly the first screen becomes active, saying it's disconnecting me because it hasn't heard from me. I have been here, sitting here, for maybe 3 hours. and nothing. This is a scam. "Thanks for visiting Skype! I'm Jane J..." My computer clock shows 12.01 when the message first shows up. What remedial action can I obtain? Is there any class action against SKYPE I join, and if not, can one be initiated. What are my options for justice? Is the review below for SKYPE or Consumer Affairs? I am marking it as if it is SKYPE.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2018

This is one of the worst companies you can do business with. They don't have phone support and you will sit on "Hold" for a chat for about 30 to 45 minutes. Then as you are chatting they will disconnect you and you will have to start ALL OVER AGAIN... They don't care about their service and their mission is to get you to sign up for services you don't need. AVOID THEM AT ALL COSTS!!! I have been waiting for over 1 HOUR FOR 2.99. THEY SUCK.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2018

I just found out that Skype will only refund credits bought within 14 days of purchase. Is this legal? In California gift cards purchased (basically advance credit) can't legally expire, so how does Skype get away with keeping money you paid them for credit which hasn't been used? Regarding another issue, in attempting to reach a Skype representative through their online chat feature, I waited for over 50 minutes as I was informed there was heavy volume, but I was still in line to reach an agent. When an agent finally came online, I was told they could not help me because a system update was in progress.

Anybody who knows anything about computer systems realizes they could have generated a message explaining that the system update was in progress and for customers to try again later, but, instead, their failure to implement a simple solution kept dozens of customers waiting, collectively, for hours. What's worse is that in chatting with a supervisor the next day, he didn't know enough to realize this and dismissed my suggestion, saying I didn't understand their system. Terrible customer service!

Original review: Jan. 16, 2018

I am a user of Skype, but today I had two emails; Refused payment and delivery for the purchase of the annual Phone number plan. But I did not use that for a long time, even I did not press the button for the auto payment. I called 5 times to the customer center, among talks of my complains, awkwardly, the connections stopped continually. My account did not show a refund button and live chat did not present. I felt stuck. How can I deal with this? I already had sent my email to contackus@skype.net, but the response is saying it is not valid; "Thanks for contacting Skype. This e-mail message cannot be delivered because the e-mail address is no longer valid. For support please click here." But this is the same cycle of no exit for the solution. The customer center said they do not have any email address, nor fax number, so when the phone connection by someone may be disrupted, no way to continue for complain.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

I created a Skype account in Brazil and transferred some money on it (for Skype out) using what is called a Boleto. Later on trying to access my account I couldn´t and was asked by a bot to fill in information about a historic with Microsoft to be able to recover this account and of course since it was a new account and I do not use Microsoft services/account because heavy resources consuming, I was refused the login recovery. Having to use Skype out I thought I would abandon this account and the credit I put and create another one which I did with skype out credit and this happens again. Is there nothing to prevent these big corporation to play around with the money of people like this? Is there any anti trust laws to allow competition and have better service?

Original review: Dec. 21, 2017

Have not used my Skype in a while, it would not open on my pc so on the internet I opened my account to find my balance zero! I had like 4.52 left and now in another country I need to make some calls. Chat support was a game of disconnects and person changes! Now I am waiting for a chat window to open again and it is not! Skype you crashed from my business forever. The same happened when PayPal bought Xoom! Now using Ria! Skype stole my balance and to even chat them is an insult.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2017

I have HAD trouble with Skype ripping me off constantly telling me my subscription are expired after I paid for three 90 day subscriptions less than 30 days ago and there is no way to talk to someone other than an online support chat. STAY AWAY FROM SKYPE. Nov 17 ** Skype Number, 3 month subscription, PayPal, $18.53 Delivered.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

I added $10 for credit calls and they charged me 3 times! Also just found out that they are charging me each time for extra $10 without asking and they have the worst customer service ever. I would give them zero stars if I can.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

I've been a PAYING CUSTOMER for about 15 years. The new look and feel is RUBBISH! Due to this silly new look/feel, I have lost valuable functionality such as add contacts easily, choosing which number to call e.g. skype/landline/mobile. Trying to add a new number, you can only do so by invite... ridiculous. SKYPE you have lost me as PAYING CUSTOMER. So long... I'm moving over to GOOGLE HANGOUTS today!

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

My son opened a Skype account with my credit card even though he already had access to an existing and current account. He prepaid $25. When I found out a few hours later, I agreed with him that this second account was not necessary and decided to cancel and to ask for a refund. I called their helpline and told them the story. They agreed that they would refund the amount and cancel the account. 90 minutes later we were still at it and I ran out of time. So I hung up on them. They are quite hopeless. I do not think that this is the fault of the {Indian] people who are supposed to provide help service. I think that Skype makes it on purpose difficult. If they charge my account I will dispute the charge. Just as well I did use a credit card and not a debit card. My advice to everybody - STAY AWAY.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2017

I had used Skype for several years without any issues, but in the past year I had experienced several problems. First the usage of my account was suspended and the only way to communicate it through their chat and they never fixed the problem. Next I began seeing multiple unauthorized CC charges totaling almost $300. No one from Skype chat could identify these charges.

Next I began receiving calls from a fake Microsoft who somehow managed to obtain all my Skype account information. This rep informed me that he was aware of two of the most recent unauthorized charges and informed me he had to charge more $ so the to my CC he had on file so the balance taken would be over $200. He said they cannot refund anything under $200. I told him this was a scam and asked how obtained my account information and told him to not take any of my $. I managed to block my CC before they could take another $108 from my card. I then contacted Skype through their chat and after spending over an hour of attempting to get some help with this obvious fraud I was disconnected and had no answers to my questions.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2017

My Skype mic crashes after 1-2 min and I can't fix it for months. And I have a paid Skype. It's outraging that I can't use a service I'm paying for and even have no way to request and get support. I have spent tons of time searching for the fix at Skype support and community web pages - waste of time. I'm going to demand the return of my money for all the time my Skype doesn't work properly. I guess that's this is a good example why monopolies fail.

Original review: July 26, 2017

Something is very wrong with Skype and I feel confused and taken advantaged of. I called a published number and spoke with a person called Lisa **. My concern was 3 payments for phone call credits were taken from my credit card account; 2 for $35. Each went to goskype.com and 1 for $35.00 went to skype.com.

Lisa said she could get credits reversed and after playing with my computer after letting her access it as it seemed like a real Skype technician, she said I would be charged so the hackers who entered my computer last May be found and that is who received the $105.00 credit charges by Skype. I have used Skype for over 10 years and this is the first time I have experienced theft of payments to another Skype account. I would like to hear from Skype directly as to this practice because some is very wrong if this can happen when it appears they got the funds and I did not get the credits. If anyone knows of a number I can call to speak with real Skype people please publish it. I have not used this form of public complaint system before so not sure what will happen.

Original review: July 23, 2017

Whenever I want to login to Skype the password area is inactive. Skype then asks whether I want to log in with another account or has problems logging in? Yes, I do have problems logging in! I am consequently forced to take the only available option of saying I forgot my password - which I did not. From here on I am put through the process of verification again. And again. And again. Every time I want to use. Good going Microsoft and Skype. I can only imagine Skype is losing users at an alarming rate. I am not a fan of Skype - always this stupid robot trying to fix the problem.

Skype Company Information