Compare Cell Phone Providers

Research top Cell Phone Providers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

In 2011 I rented a phone to use in South Korea and New Zealand. It didn't work at all in either country. The company was gracious enough not to charge me anything. I should have learned my lesson, but... I rented a phone for a trip in October 2014 to two European countries. It arrived right on time and worked fine in both places. When I got home, I sent it back in their prepaid mailer. They received it and charged my credit card for the agreed price for the rental. So far so good. Then I received their statement for calls and minutes. It was.. um.. impressive, but looked reasonably accurate. The statement said they would place another charge on my card to cover it. They did, all right, for a little under TWICE the amount of the statement.

As noted in other reviews, I called several times, usually leaving a voice message, but I did speak to "Tony" a couple of times and got a total run-around. So I contacted my credit card company, put the charge in "dispute," and received a refund of the overcharge. I don't know if they got money from Planetfone or just wrote it off. To coin a new "old" saying: Twice burned, thrice shy. Never again, and I urge everyone reading this to stay as far away as possible from this shady outfit.

I chose PlanetFone because their website showed a recommendation from AAA plus a AAA discount. Their prices sounded great, ordering was simple and the phone arrived on time and was easy to use. All was fine. THEN the bill arrived! Several miscellaneous undescribed charges. All calls dated on the same day!! The quotes I was given for rental and shipping were doubled, or tripled. I called many days in a row & left messages for 'billing". No one called me back. I became angry & finally spoke with Tony ** (owner? billing dept?) from his cell phone in car. He said I "was lucky" about the rate I was quoted since it's no longer available. He doesn't have anything to do with call billing just receives a list from his provided, yada, yada, yada.

We finally agreed on a price I would pay them based on the original quote... Although I was still paying for calls not made. I am still in the process of trying to finalize my dealings w/ this company. They just sent me a SECOND bill for $153.00!! I made a total of 5 calls lasting from 2 minutes to 6 minutes that were to be priced at ~$2.00/minute!! They want $153.00 + the original bill they sent me for $114.00!! That would be a total of $267.00 for 5 phone calls lasting a total of ~20 minutes!!! I refuse to argue w/ them anymore and can only strongly suggest to you... DO NOT USE PLANETFONE under any circumstances. I am also in contact w/ AAA so they will know what's going on. If I have to, I'll get an attorney.

I rented a phone from Planetfone for my 9-day trip to Ireland. I used the phone 7 times, just to reserve B&B's every day. The calls were no more than 2 minutes long. I returned the phone to them when I got back. A couple days later, my credit card was debited $360 with no receipt or anything that showed why I got charged that amount. I called and left 5 voice mails over 2 weeks with no response. I also emailed them with no response. This company is a joke and they are scam artists. I would recommend not using this company.

I rented a phone from this company for my trip to Tanzania. My husband only called me once a day for a few minutes, but Planetfone charged me over $525. It turns out, they "accidentally" added a bunch of charges that they shouldn't have, so they credited me back for some of it. However, there were numerous 1-minute charges on there from dropped calls. They don't tell you they are going to charge you for these, but they do. They told me they would credit me back for these, but it's been three months, and they still haven't. I would never use them again.

I rented a phone with a European SIM card for my daughter. She used the phone each day on her trip to keep in touch. Each call was from 3 to 10 minutes long. We received our billing statement and were floored to find a bill for a 180-minute ($423) call to our home. Obviously, no 180-minute call was ever made. I am not sure what happened. I know we hung up after our usual short talk. She swears she did the same. I contacted PlanetFone. They agreed to look into the matter. After several weeks, they reported that their billing information was accurate and that they had double-checked their records. They offered a $200.00 rebate (in writing) as a "good will" gesture. I thanked them, meaning to accept the offer and take a lesson learned. In my reply to them about the offer, I let them know that I was still unhappy, though, about the situation. And given the outcome, I could not recommend their services or products and that I would probably contact the company who recommended PlanetFone (AAA) to let them know what had happened.

Upon receipt of my e-mail, PlanetFone e-mailed me and reversed their offer. I have not heard back from PlanetFone since. Although the personnel I dealt with at PlanetFone were polite and professional, their response to the situation was poor and I feel, reflects a poor business philosophy in general. I feel that the fact that they offered a $200.00 refund and then immediately reversed themselves when I stated that I was still not happy about the overall outcome was very poorly considered, if not downright illegal, since they put that offer in writing.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Planetfone?

For more information about reviews on please visit our FAQ.

Planetfone Company Profile