Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.63/5

Ooma offers business and residential phone services as well as home security solutions. Ooma has multiple different plans that you can customize based on your needs. Landline devices start at $89.99 with free shipping.

Find a service provider in your area

Compare offers on Find Your Internet

Get Started

Find a service provider in your area

Compare offers on Find Your Internet

Get Started

Ooma Telo Reviews

Original review: April 30, 2020

I've had my Ooma VOIP service for about four years now and just love it. I've saved a ton of money using Ooma, too. The only issue I've ever had was a faulty unit once, but Ooma sent a replacement when I contacted them. Since I was within the warranty period, the replacement unit was totally free. A year or so ago I began experiencing some robo-calls at all hours of the day and night, but with Ooma's call block feature (Premier service) that was taken care of quickly. I don't foresee myself ever getting a regular landline in the future. It just doesn't make sense to pay so much for something like that when Ooma offers, in my opinion, a better service and deal. VOIP isn't any less clear than regular landline service. The sound quality is great with Ooma. It's exactly like having a landline. The only difference is that it connects over an Internet connection. And saves you major $$$.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2020

I've been with AT&T for 23 years, it's been nothing but a nightmare, you're on hold for 45min to 2 hrs by the time you're finished being helped. I was telemarketed by a guy name Brandon, he was so kind and persistent and never gave up on me, I'm so grateful to him today that he didn't! My phone lines were switched over Dec. 27th 2019, I had, had enough of AT&T, MY new phone bill for the year for 5 lines, went from 350.00 a month, sometimes 390.00, to 550.00 swear to god, I was overwhelmed it pushed me right over the edge.

I finally left At&T, my first phone bill was 120.74 and my newest one is 117.00, I swear to you! The switch over was amazing, they should honestly have a 6 star rating. They help you instantly, there's no being on hold waiting for someone new to help you, the customer service is amazing. I don't know what states AT&T GOES TO but do yourself a great thing and get rid of them! I don't know what 5 lines are costing you a month, if you want to pay 117.00 for everything, call Ooma and ask for BRANDON, this review is being written on my own free will, I'm writing a review everywhere I can to help people to get out of paying a ridiculous phone bill! I've wasted 5,196.00 over 12 months because I was scared to switch, do yourself a favor and make the best decision of your life. Don't be afraid to go from landline to in the cloud, I haven't had one problem that was fixed immediately. I love ooma. Thank you Brandon if you see this for not giving up on me!

Barbara

Get buying tips about Home Phone Service delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2019

Since I have had Ooma Telo & Ooma Office for over 5 years, I have had several issues. However as of 2019 Ooma has stepped up their game without increasing price or business model. As far as Ooma support, in a word has been phenomenal. I have met several techs that were simply great. I've seen several complaints about Ooma of which I believe most are from the same person. What everyone should be complaining about, is the amount of TAX each state charges for having a Ooma line. In Florida, Ooma office line $10 per month for tax. Really? That's 50% of what Ooma Office cost for the service. I have not read one complaint about that, with the exception of mine.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2019

I have had Ooma in my primary home for over 10 years and never had an issue that was not fixed with just rebooting the Telo unit. Sound quality is good and service spot on. Have the premier service for around $135 which has a lot of features. Use the 3-way calling and phone number blocking a lot. I just installed a new Ooma service in my Mom's home. Had an issue with the telo unit not functioning properly. Was sent a new unit, no charge, and it worked perfectly once the Ooma CSR set up the codes correctly on their side. My mom is 93yo and loves the savings over using AT&T landline which was charging near $100/mo and the AT&T service sucked being out at times 4-6 weeks. Imagine that inconvenience.

Original review: May 27, 2020

I've had nothing but nightmares with Ooma, constant bad decisions, website poor design, looks nice but a waste of your time, sends you down rabbit holes of wasted time, using chat you get a 3rd world person who tells you "it's all working on our end" but the problem is nothing works on the customer end, constant loss of voice on their lines, upsell for their waste of money poor value premium services.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ooma Telo?

Original review: May 26, 2020

After ten years as an Ooma subscriber I started having difficulty with the call sound quality. I felt I got the run around from Ooma customer service because they blamed the problem on the internet provider. There is no problem with my internet service. When I decided to cancel Ooma the customer retention specialist was quick to offer me new hardware because I was using a first generation Ooma Telo. He also told me that my annual premium subscription would be refunded on a prorated basis. After two weeks with no refund I called again to find that it had not been issued. I stated that I wanted my account canceled immediately. The billing cycle has two more weeks to go so I'll see if I continue to be charged for taxes on a phone line I am not using and requested to be canceled. This kind of deceitful practice is how companies go out of business.

Original review: May 5, 2020

If you are looking for a business IP Phone Service certainly stay away from Ooma. If I could give it negative star rating I would. They mislead you by telling you that there is a full money back guarantee but that is not the truth. They would not let us see the platform or walk through it with us until we signed up and provided a credit card; which is fine. They told me that they needed to charge an Activation fee but if I wasn't happy with the service it would be refundable.

After we provided our cc then we had access to the site and soon realized it was not for our liking; it was very basic, plain, and lacked numerous features that almost all competitors have. Literally within 2-hours of signing up, we sent an email and left a message that we wanted to cancel the service. A few days later I noticed the activation company was on my credit card. I called Ooma and requested the refund but the rep told me the activation fee is nonrefundable.

I asked to speak with a supervisor. The supervisor told me she would not refund the activation fee. I told her that it was not a wise business decision because I would share my experience on social media and her reply was, "Go ahead." This company must be very hard-up to swindle people out of "activation fees". We never even made or received any calls and cancelled within 2-hours. I strongly suggest looking at the competitors because you will get much more bang for your buck and the services are much better.

Original review: April 28, 2020

I had Ooma for 5 years. I decided to add my 99 year old mother to my account. I ported her number of 50 years and talked to different customer account representatives. Lie after lie Each rep just made up a solution as they were going. No integrity. No one knew the procedure when the numbers were not in the same state. The service did not work and my mother was stranded with no phone. Upon calling customer service numerous times, two of the reps were arrogant, rude and uncaring.

I finally told a rep named Freddie that I was going to port her number back to her previous carrier if I could not get resolution. He then proceeded to tell me he wasn't going to try to help me if I intended to port out. I felt like he was part of the problem instead of the solution. The customer service is horrible. I would not recommend this service and have to deal with someone in India that is both difficult to understand and just rattles off anything that comes to mind as a resolution.

Original review: April 16, 2020

I was referred to them as a way to have a less expensive phone bill. Is what I got was billing after my service was cancelled. The only way it stopped is when my credit card expired and they sent me an email asking for my new expiration date. My wife cancelled the service, had the number ported to another company and was told it was cancelled. They only offered to compensate me half of what was charged to me after an account had been closed for a year. No emails as they stated requiring more information on the cancellation. I would recommend you run from this company. If someone refers you don't do it. Nothing but a headache.

Original review: April 13, 2020

They continue to bill you after you port your number and cancel service. This is a prime example of a potential future class action lawsuit. Even though they have transferred your number to another company they will continue to bill you. They expect you to call them instead of cancelling the service. I was never told over the phone that I needed to call back and cancel.

Ooma Telo author review by ConsumerAffairs

Ooma Telo devices provide VoIP calling for free. Customers connect the Ooma device to their Internet line and to their preferred handset. The device sends voice calls over the Internet for free; for domestic calls, consumers only pay the applicable taxes and fees. Ooma devices are available online and at several major retailers.

• Extra features: All Ooma accounts come with caller ID, voicemail, call waiting, an online call log and more. For an additional monthly fee, customers get a second line, free calling to Canada and Puerto Rice, three-way calling and other premium features.

• Ooma-to-Ooma calling: Ooma users can use their Ooma connected phone to call any other Ooma line for free, even if the users are in different countries.

• International calling: Customers can place international calls for as little as 1.4 cents per minute. Those who prefer to know exactly how much their bill will be each month can subscribe to Ooma’s World Plan, which allows customers to place unlimited calls to 60 countries for a consistent monthly charge.

• Smart home connectivity: Ooma can connect to Nest thermostats to automatically forward calls when the thermostat is set to away. It can also send notifications to Android and Apple devices when someone calls the Ooma line so they will know who’s calling when they’re away from the house.

• Accessories: Ooma sells several accessories so consumers can customize their system. Options include adapters to make the unit wireless, wearable handsets for safety and Bluetooth connectors to sync Oomas to cellular phones.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team