3.09/5

Get matched with the best Home Warranty for you!

Ooma Telo

Get matched with the best Home Warranty for you!

Ooma Telo Reviews

Original review: Oct. 22, 2019

We upgraded our internet and decided to give VoIP a try. We went with Ooma because of good reviews and price. But our experience has been awful. We combined their products with our existing landline system, and it has not worked. Calls cut out, dial tone disappears, and we have to restart the system multiple times a day. Their customer service people have been mostly nice (with a couple exceptions), but it's also clear they don't know how to fix it -- even though they won't say that. In a word: AVOID.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2019

I've had Ooma for many years. Works fine with basic. When traveling out of the county we like to activate the Premier service. It allows us to make and receive calls using the iPhone application. Needed only for a limited time while we are traveling. Now the bad! Canceling premier is nearly impossible! You can sign-up online, no problem. Canceling requires calling their customer service line during "business hours". Once you get through, the Indian call center people insist on going through their scripts trying to explain the benefits. Okay, but then they refuse to cancel.

After ten minutes of telling them what I want, she wanted my credit card number in order to cancel. This is a VERY bad sign and usually means they will record you providing the number as permission for more services. I told her no, just cancel. I was then "transferred to a supervisor". In reality I was simply transferred back to the primary queue. The next person answered like I was a new caller and confirmed that they were not a supervisor. I yelled at him to cancel the premier service. He yelled back "it's done!". I will be looking for another product. I don't trust this company anymore!

Get expert buying tips about Home Phone Service delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2019

These folks will tell you things that are not true when you are buying and omit things that you should have been told. I purchased the free service where you just pay the taxes which were about $6 per month. I was told when I bought, over the phone, that if there was any problem with the unit, they would refund me the cost plus shipping. When the unit wouldn't work with my internet, I returned it, but they tried charge me for the first month (even though I never got it working and returned it within 10 days) and then tried to charge me for return shipping.

I threatened to reveal these practices so they refunded me, but I had to make several calls and finally talk to a supervisor. Then, a few months later, I saw that they charged my credit card for $17.64 instead of just the taxes. When I called, the agent tried to tell me that I was on a free trial (this was news to me) and that I was now paying for the Premier service. I never agreed to any of that! These people are VERY shady. I would not use this company if I were now choosing one.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2019

I have had Ooma in my primary home for over 10 years and never had an issue that was not fixed with just rebooting the Telo unit. Sound quality is good and service spot on. Have the premier service for around $135 which has a lot of features. Use the 3-way calling and phone number blocking a lot. I just installed a new Ooma service in my Mom's home. Had an issue with the telo unit not functioning properly. Was sent a new unit, no charge, and it worked perfectly once the Ooma CSR set up the codes correctly on their side. My mom is 93yo and loves the savings over using AT&T landline which was charging near $100/mo and the AT&T service sucked being out at times 4-6 weeks. Imagine that inconvenience.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2019

I ported my number to a new service provider. Three months after cancelling service, I noticed my credit card was being billed again. Apparently they start charging you 3 months later (I believe I was auto-enrolled in this "feature") if you have yet to sell your old Ooma equipment. Very glad I noticed the activity on my card before several months of this fee were applied. This is an extremely shady business practice, and please beware any of you who plan to cancel your service with them.

Called customer support today, but of course their cancellation division is closed for the holiday (somehow other divisions manage to be open?). Of course it is too much to ask that the representative I spoke with submit my request to their division to have them contact me regarding this matter when their normal office hours resume. I quote: "They only accept inbound calls & I cannot have them reach out to you directly." 1 star due to customer service and shady business practices.

P.S. They denied the port request multiple times when transferring my number to Vonage business as well. Remarkably unsatisfactory customer service.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ooma Telo?

Original review: Aug. 1, 2019

Billing problem and had a non-American that only wanted to argue and not solve the problem. My first time that I hung up and a CSR but this guy was hard headed and marginal English. I had to go the credit card company and dispute Ooma charges.

Original review: July 27, 2019

Please stay away from this company, it constantly charges me over and over again. The annual premier I've been charged 3-different amounts in under a Year. 144.92 on 11-02-18, then 129.31 on 5-16-19 then 134.15 on 7-26-19. I finally reported my card stolen by Ooma. We never even wanted Premier. We don't use anything but one phone to make like 3 calls a week. But didn't wanna deal with poor CS to get premier off. But charging us for Annual premier 3-times in under a year is crazy and gone to far.

Original review: July 24, 2019

I switched to OOMA office and the salesman said they will not port my numbers from Charter until the equipment is working. But after 1 day my phone line were dead, I called Charter and I stopped the porting over to them and got my lines back after 1 day without any phone in the office. My salesman's name is Terry **, beware of the lies. He told me the transition will be smooth without any interruption, but when I talked to OOMA today they said that is not true and they try to make it as smooth as possible. Do not use them for office if you don't want to lose phone service for few days. I should have checked this site before signing with them, I see others they had the same problem.

Original review: July 12, 2019

We purchased our phones outright when we signed with Ooma. We got the Yealink T21P E2 desk phones. Then, after a few months of service, we had so many issues that Ooma could not or would not fix. Due to this, we switched to RingCentral. We were able to get all but 1 of our phones seamlessly switched over to RingCentral. The one we cannot needs the username and password of the phone when it is accessed from a computer browser via the IP address. Ooma refuses to give this information out despite the fact that we own these phones outright. Further, they told me they cannot give the information out. I asked them where the contract was that our office signed stating that we accept that term and they stated they didn't have one.

I know that they can give out this username and password because it was given to me when we initially set up the phones with them and were having issues getting them to function. I am just sorry I didn't write it down. They were rude over the phone as well. Do not do business with this company. I would give zero stars if I could.

Original review: June 27, 2019

Signed up and had numbers ported. My business was shut down for 3 days trying to get the phones to work. Booting. Rebooting, reprogramming. The techs had to go up 3 tiers for support. Final tech from Manila could not grasp that I saved my sign on in favorites to access it. Cancelled service, and 7 days later and the lines have still not been released to Comcast. BIG BEWARE.

Ooma Telo expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Ooma Telo devices provide VoIP calling for free. Customers connect the Ooma device to their Internet line and to their preferred handset. The device sends voice calls over the Internet for free; for domestic calls, consumers only pay the applicable taxes and fees. Ooma devices are available online and at several major retailers.

• Extra features: All Ooma accounts come with caller ID, voicemail, call waiting, an online call log and more. For an additional monthly fee, customers get a second line, free calling to Canada and Puerto Rice, three-way calling and other premium features.

• Ooma-to-Ooma calling: Ooma users can use their Ooma connected phone to call any other Ooma line for free, even if the users are in different countries.

• International calling: Customers can place international calls for as little as 1.4 cents per minute. Those who prefer to know exactly how much their bill will be each month can subscribe to Ooma’s World Plan, which allows customers to place unlimited calls to 60 countries for a consistent monthly charge.

• Smart home connectivity: Ooma can connect to Nest thermostats to automatically forward calls when the thermostat is set to away. It can also send notifications to Android and Apple devices when someone calls the Ooma line so they will know who’s calling when they’re away from the house.

• Accessories: Ooma sells several accessories so consumers can customize their system. Options include adapters to make the unit wireless, wearable handsets for safety and Bluetooth connectors to sync Oomas to cellular phones.

• Best for: Ooma is best for individuals who want a low monthly rate and have an existing Internet provider.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs