Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.30/5

Ooma is a standalone device that requires low power, is always on and runs independently of your computer. The only thing you need to install and start using Ooma phone services is a phone line and a high-speed internet connection. It specializes in crystal-clear calling for residential use and VoIP phone services and communication solutions customizable for any size business.

BOTTOM LINE

Ooma offers high-quality internet phone solutions without long-term contracts or hidden fees. The company offers phone service options for residences and businesses.

PROS

• No monthly fees for basic plans
  • Durable and stylish hardware
  • Easy to set up

CONS

• Limited features with the basic plan

Top Ooma Telo Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ooma Telo?

I've had my Ooma VOIP service for about four years now and just love it. I've saved a ton of money using Ooma, too… It just doesn't make sense to pay so much for something like that when Ooma offers, in my opinion, a better service and deal… And saves you major $$$.

I've been with AT&T for 23 years, it's been nothing but a nightmare… I was telemarketed by a guy name Brandon, he was so kind… The switch over was amazing, they should honestly have a 6 star rating… call Ooma and ask for BRANDON… I love ooma.

Shop and compare internet deals

See local offers on Find Your Internet

Shop Now

Unsubscribe at any time.

Shop and compare internet deals

See local offers on Find Your Internet

Shop Now

What is Ooma?

Ooma sells a standalone device that lets you make phone calls over the internet. No computer is required, but you must have a high-speed internet connection for the company’s free plan.

There are wireless options available, and installation is easy. Most plans include unlimited calling in the U.S., Canada, Mexico and Puerto Rico, low international rates, 911 service and free number transfer.

Ooma plans

Ooma business plans do not require long-term contracts and make it easy to use a separate business line. Calls are clear, and there are more than 35 features available to streamline productivity and improve communication. Some of the most popular business call management features include the mobile app, virtual receptionist, call park, ring groups. music-on-hold and transfer music.

Ooma offers three residential home phone service options, the Ooma Telo, Ooma Telo Air and the Ooma Telo 4G. The company’s home phone solutions let you access free U.S. calling, advanced voice compression, encrypted calls, adaptive redundancy and the ability to access your voicemail all through the Ooma app.

With the Ooma Telo Air and the Ooma Telo, phone service is $0 a month, shipping is free and customers only pay applicable taxes and fees.

Below is a breakdown of Ooma’s most popular plans:

• Ooma Telo: Nationwide calling for free. All you pay are applicable taxes and fees.
    • Ooma Telo Air: Connects through your Wi-Fi, which lets you install the unit anywhere within range without worrying about the wires.
    • Ooma Telo 4G: Wireless phone service with a high-speed 4G LTE connection. Ideal for homes without internet.
    • Ooma Basic: Unlimited, nationwide, crystal-clear calling for free.
    • Ooma Premier: All the features included in Basic service and an additional suite of advanced features, including call blocking and upgraded privacy and mobility options.
    • Ooma Office: Phone system for small businesses. Includes unlimited calling in the U.S. and Canada. Unlimited lines/users with private voicemail.
    • Ooma Office Pro: All of the features included in Ooma office plus call recording, a desktop app and enhanced call blocking.

How much does Ooma cost per month?

There is no monthly contract for basic Ooma phone service. For the most basic plans, you only pay for applicable taxes and fees. The most budget-friendly option is Ooma Premier, which is $9.99 a month at the time of publishing and gives you access to an entire suite of features, including adding a second line and call blocking.

Ooma does offer more advanced internet phone solutions, and some require a monthly fee. As of the time of publishing, the Ooma Telo Air costs $129.99 upfront and $0 a month, and the Ooma Telo is $99.99 upfront with no monthly fees. Business owners can pay $19.95 per month per user for Ooma Office or $24.95 per month per user for Ooma Office Pro. Shipping is free.

For plans that do not have a monthly contract, customers still pay taxes and fees. The taxes depend on your location, and the fees can be broken down into four categories:

• 911 service fee
    • Federal universal service charge
    • State and local taxes, fees and surcharges
    • Regulatory compliance fee

Your monthly taxes and fees are calculated based on the 911 address you have on file.

To save money, some customers purchase refurbished Ooma units. All refurbished units have been preowned, but they have undergone a thorough quality control test to ensure you get the same features and quality as you would with a new unit.

Ooma FAQ

Is there a monthly fee for Ooma?
    Basic home phone service with Ooma does not require a monthly contract. Customers do pay applicable taxes and fees.
    Is Ooma really free?
    There is no monthly fee for the basic home service, but customers do pay taxes and fees. If you want to upgrade your unit, you will pay anywhere between $99 to $129 for the equipment.
    Can you keep your phone number with Ooma?
    Sometimes. You can check if your current number is compatible with Ooma by entering your info into the website.
    What’s the difference between Ooma Basic and Ooma Premier?
    Ooma Premier offers all of the same features as Ooma Basic but adds advanced features such as call blocking and adding a second line. Premier also adds upgraded voicemail, privacy and mobility options. Ooma Premier is $9.99 a month, and Ooma Basic is free.

Is Ooma any good?

Yes. If you’re looking for an affordable, versatile VoIP solution. Ooma could be a good choice. The company’s devices have crystal-clear call quality, high-quality hardware, an easy to use mobile app and different plans to meet your needs and your budget. The device is easy to install, set up and use.

Ooma Telo Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ooma Telo?

Original review: July 23, 2020

We switched over to Ooma from 8x8 two weeks ago, and it’s been a very seamless switch. The pro level includes all the services we need for our 5 person church. We really appreciated the flat pricing and no contracts. Our only initial outlay was for the 2 physical phones that we ordered (about $150). We did a feature and price comparison of 5 providers (Vonage, 8x8, Jive (GoToMeeting), Cisco (Webex), and Ooma). While Ooma doesn’t currently support Web meetings like Webex or Zoom (apparently it’s coming), but the price is cheap enough that we can easily buy those services separately. We’d had 8x8 for 8 years and looked into some newer options. 8x8 has a practice of providing a low monthly price that increases each year, unless you call again to renegotiate down. Even their lowest price was still twice as expensive as Ooma.

While cost was an enormous factor in choosing Ooma, the reviews of the Ooma app and ease of use for the Web admin were a major influence. We have 2 physical phones, one for the main number and another for an employee without a smartphone. The remaining 3 users entirely use the app, and they all appreciate getting calls anywhere they are, and calling people with our main number as the return number. Setting all this up in the admin was easy, significantly easier than what we’ve done in the past.

Ooma focuses on small-businesses. There is an assumption that only one user will administer the accounts. The only payment option is a credit or debit card. We’d really have appreciated an EBT or direct deposit option. Especially since, as a small business, our cards end up getting compromised more often than we’d like. These are minor items when compared with the features and useability Ooma offers.

Pros
    - Price (we saved an average of 28%, 45% less than our most expensive quote)
    - Online vs. Physical lines are the same price
    - Phone numbers (our main number and fax) are hosted without additional cost (most other companies charge $5 per month per number)
    - Ease of administration use
    - Ease of phone app use
    - Ease of Web calling use
    - All lines include eFax and conference numbers for free
    - Can forward callers to numbers outside the organization
    - Easily configurable office hours to automatically send callers to voicemail
    - Regular virtual training to use basic and advanced service features
    - No commitment

- Technical support answers calls quickly, with only 1 button-press, and answered all our questions

Cons
    - Limited payment options
    - Only one user can administer the team
    - Phones must be purchased in full (with the lowest option often on sale)

- The conference lines don’t support an admin pin to start a meeting

Given everything, we’d switch to Ooma again, and recommend the service to anyone.

Original review: April 30, 2020

I've had my Ooma VOIP service for about four years now and just love it. I've saved a ton of money using Ooma, too. The only issue I've ever had was a faulty unit once, but Ooma sent a replacement when I contacted them. Since I was within the warranty period, the replacement unit was totally free. A year or so ago I began experiencing some robo-calls at all hours of the day and night, but with Ooma's call block feature (Premier service) that was taken care of quickly. I don't foresee myself ever getting a regular landline in the future. It just doesn't make sense to pay so much for something like that when Ooma offers, in my opinion, a better service and deal. VOIP isn't any less clear than regular landline service. The sound quality is great with Ooma. It's exactly like having a landline. The only difference is that it connects over an Internet connection. And saves you major $$$.

Get buying tips about Home Phone Service delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2020

I've been with AT&T for 23 years, it's been nothing but a nightmare, you're on hold for 45min to 2 hrs by the time you're finished being helped. I was telemarketed by a guy name Brandon, he was so kind and persistent and never gave up on me, I'm so grateful to him today that he didn't! My phone lines were switched over Dec. 27th 2019, I had, had enough of AT&T, MY new phone bill for the year for 5 lines, went from 350.00 a month, sometimes 390.00, to 550.00 swear to god, I was overwhelmed it pushed me right over the edge.

I finally left At&T, my first phone bill was 120.74 and my newest one is 117.00, I swear to you! The switch over was amazing, they should honestly have a 6 star rating. They help you instantly, there's no being on hold waiting for someone new to help you, the customer service is amazing. I don't know what states AT&T GOES TO but do yourself a great thing and get rid of them! I don't know what 5 lines are costing you a month, if you want to pay 117.00 for everything, call Ooma and ask for BRANDON, this review is being written on my own free will, I'm writing a review everywhere I can to help people to get out of paying a ridiculous phone bill! I've wasted 5,196.00 over 12 months because I was scared to switch, do yourself a favor and make the best decision of your life. Don't be afraid to go from landline to in the cloud, I haven't had one problem that was fixed immediately. I love ooma. Thank you Brandon if you see this for not giving up on me!

Barbara

Original review: Oct. 23, 2019

Since I have had Ooma Telo & Ooma Office for over 5 years, I have had several issues. However as of 2019 Ooma has stepped up their game without increasing price or business model. As far as Ooma support, in a word has been phenomenal. I have met several techs that were simply great. I've seen several complaints about Ooma of which I believe most are from the same person. What everyone should be complaining about, is the amount of TAX each state charges for having a Ooma line. In Florida, Ooma office line $10 per month for tax. Really? That's 50% of what Ooma Office cost for the service. I have not read one complaint about that, with the exception of mine.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2020

Eric Stang CEO. I had to call Ooma as my system went down constantly. 2 days wasted, 9 people asking me the same questions and running me in circles. They ended up pushing me to my ISP telling me I needed to update ports from Spectrum, 45 minutes waiting, 1 hour 15 minutes to manually update a large number of ports Ooma wanted. Having no phone, no cell service and downloading a temp PC phone just to talk to them... and again Customer care kept asking the same questions when I called Ooma back. I said, "Don't you have an incident report, because I am NOT repeating myself again!!"

Only resolution, buy a new unit with a 15$ credit. This is not the way to do business Eric Stang, Mr CEO. The amount of hours I put in just to get to this point took me away from other business. Working remote and taking care of elderly is pretty important to have a phone. I explained to customer care how important the phone is in my location due to no cell service and if I needed to call a doctor. The best I got was buy a new unit and 3-5 days for delivery; it's been 3 days since I ordered the unit and it has not left the warehouse yet. Estimation is 7+ days not 3-5. If I didn't need the work number that I cannot port, I would NEVER, EVER deal with OOMA. Run from this company, because if you need help, you won't get it. The other reviews out there seem to be locked because I cannot tell my store other than here. Thank you "Consumer Affairs"!

Original review: July 24, 2020

I have received numerous phone calls and emails from Sumit ** (works at Ooma) offering my company phone service. On all occasions I turned him down. After the last phone conversation he sent me an email stating that I may not need anything from Ooma but my girlfriend says she needs a bigger ** and to eat **. I have a copy of the email and I’m willing to forward it to whomever it may concern.

Original review: June 11, 2020

On the Ooma.com website for phone sales: https://www.ooma.com/small-business-phone-systems/buy/. You can see a list of their phone offerings. Low call volume low end phones, high call volume mid priced phones. Extremely high call volume phones $299.99. I think it is utterly ridiculous to sell phone systems based on the phone call volume capability. Keep in mind these are all phones you DO NOT have volume control. You purchase your volume control based on price! I hope everyone looking to buy a phone takes this into consideration when purchasing a phone from Ooma!

Original review: June 10, 2020

Bought into Ooma at $149 and was promised free VOIP phone service for life. One day I discovered my account was cancelled and my phone number given to someone else. I received no warning or notice. Upon calling customer service I was told my account was cancelled because I failed to use the device (I was using the online voicemail service) for six months. I learned that the terms of agreement were changed and now there is a monthly "taxes and fees" charge. Very disappointed and no longer a customer because Ooma does not keep its promises and unilaterally breaks its agreements.

Original review: May 27, 2020

I've had nothing but nightmares with Ooma, constant bad decisions, website poor design, looks nice but a waste of your time, sends you down rabbit holes of wasted time, using chat you get a 3rd world person who tells you "it's all working on our end" but the problem is nothing works on the customer end, constant loss of voice on their lines, upsell for their waste of money poor value premium services.

Original review: May 26, 2020

After ten years as an Ooma subscriber I started having difficulty with the call sound quality. I felt I got the run around from Ooma customer service because they blamed the problem on the internet provider. There is no problem with my internet service. When I decided to cancel Ooma the customer retention specialist was quick to offer me new hardware because I was using a first generation Ooma Telo. He also told me that my annual premium subscription would be refunded on a prorated basis. After two weeks with no refund I called again to find that it had not been issued. I stated that I wanted my account canceled immediately. The billing cycle has two more weeks to go so I'll see if I continue to be charged for taxes on a phone line I am not using and requested to be canceled. This kind of deceitful practice is how companies go out of business.

Ooma Telo Company Information