2.94/5

Get matched with the best Home Warranty for you!

Ooma Telo

Get matched with the best Home Warranty for you!

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

Ooma Telo Reviews

Original review: Nov. 26, 2019

I receive calls daily from individuals who received calls from 'my' number. Ooma should have a better VOIP protocol to prevent such scams. It's annoying to have to apologize to countless callers that should not be hacked by scammers. Ooma: Step Up.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2019

I had OOMA for at least 5 years in my house and also recommended it to others. For the most part the service was fine, it has kind of has a strange dial tone but you get use to it. At 6.26 a month it's kind of hard to go wrong with the service. Comcast actually offered me a better all one on package with Voice so after many years I dropped OOMA.

This is where the problem comes in and you should be very afraid. I called customer service to cancel my account and they told me they were sorry to see me go. They told me I could take my equipment and either give or sell it to someone else. If used within 60 days they would waive the activation fee for the next user. They then went and credited my account for 12.52. For the next two months they charged me 6.22. I had no issue with that. However after two months I find that they have continued to bill me. Interesting since the number has been ported over to another company, the MAC address on the equipment which I cancelled wouldn't have shown up in their system as being active, but yet they are continuing to bill me for.

I asked this question through their Chat Feature, "So even though I'm not using the service and now one has I am still charged for the use of NOTHING?" Their Response YES. Needless to say it appears you have to cancel more than once. (I've never heard of such a thing.) I use to have good things to say about OOMA. NO more.

Get expert buying tips about Home Phone Service delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
      Original review: Nov. 9, 2019

I liked the service but I'm upset to discover that the caller id block does not work. CALLER ID BLOCKING DOES NOT WORK consistently but only gives a false sense of security. If I call my own cell with *67, it does work but I know for a fact that it does not work for some numbers including some that are not "toll free" area codes. Otherwise, the service is only about $6 a month (non-premium) and has been 100% reliable (as long as my internet is working - of course) so I was very happy with Ooma - otherwise. Also, blocking specific numbers is only available with premium.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2019

I was approached by Ooma's door to door salesman for my business offering a great rate and same exact phone equipment I was given from RingPlanet. They were very fast to deliver and on time. However being a business owner and already having an existing number I wanted to make sure I would be able to keep my current number. I was told I would be able to and was told by the representative I could cancel at any time no cancellation fees and so forth. When the technician left he gave me a number to call and said to give them the number on the back of the phone to start my service. When I asked what this number was he said my new phone number.

To my surprise I immediately told him it was not the number to my business and that I needed to keep same number. He said no problem. This is just temporary number until they port over my new number. I called Customer service immediately. They also said no problem however I wanted to wait until they gave me the ok and kept my service going with ringplanet just so I would still be able to operate my business. They emailed me and said they needed more information from my current provider so I emailed a copy of my bill. Still nothing. Then I called again. They said they were unable to port the number. I said please cancel then. They said they would appreciate if I tried one more time to let them see if they could get it ported over.

They were again unsuccessful so I forgot all about it until I got billed again. I called again. They said they would have a supervisor look into it. I spoke to supervisor who said they see what the problem was give them another try. Since I did not hear back I figured it was lost cause. Until I get a third bill and I call and asked them to cancel again and he really didn't want to but said he would. Then before canceling said, "I need the last 4 of the card number you used" and I gave him that then he said, "I'm going to charge you 199.99 plus tax cancellation fee." I told him no. That this was not fair being that I was not able to use this service at all.

I called again to speak to supervisor and they stated to email some other department because they can't make those decisions. I emailed. Got no response except that they were shipping another phone and asking me how was their customer service. I paid 3 months of service and 199.99 plus tax on something I can not use. I would highly not recommend using this service at all especially if you are a business.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2019

Since I have had Ooma Telo & Ooma Office for over 5 years, I have had several issues. However as of 2019 Ooma has stepped up their game without increasing price or business model. As far as Ooma support, in a word has been phenomenal. I have met several techs that were simply great. I've seen several complaints about Ooma of which I believe most are from the same person. What everyone should be complaining about, is the amount of TAX each state charges for having a Ooma line. In Florida, Ooma office line $10 per month for tax. Really? That's 50% of what Ooma Office cost for the service. I have not read one complaint about that, with the exception of mine.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ooma Telo?

Original review: Oct. 23, 2019

I was told by a rep that since it was still the same bank account... They could still charge my debit card, except I never gave them my new debit card number nor did I give them EFT info for my checking account. They then proceeded to hang up on me twice when I asked for a supervisor. I wouldn't wish this company on my worst enemies! Also, I just remembered that the security door sensor never worked for more than a week straight and I gave up on the "security" features too.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2019

We upgraded our internet and decided to give VoIP a try. We went with Ooma because of good reviews and price. But our experience has been awful. We combined their products with our existing landline system, and it has not worked. Calls cut out, dial tone disappears, and we have to restart the system multiple times a day. Their customer service people have been mostly nice (with a couple exceptions), but it's also clear they don't know how to fix it -- even though they won't say that. In a word: AVOID.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2019

I've had Ooma for many years. Works fine with basic. When traveling out of the county we like to activate the Premier service. It allows us to make and receive calls using the iPhone application. Needed only for a limited time while we are traveling. Now the bad! Canceling premier is nearly impossible! You can sign-up online, no problem. Canceling requires calling their customer service line during "business hours". Once you get through, the Indian call center people insist on going through their scripts trying to explain the benefits. Okay, but then they refuse to cancel.

After ten minutes of telling them what I want, she wanted my credit card number in order to cancel. This is a VERY bad sign and usually means they will record you providing the number as permission for more services. I told her no, just cancel. I was then "transferred to a supervisor". In reality I was simply transferred back to the primary queue. The next person answered like I was a new caller and confirmed that they were not a supervisor. I yelled at him to cancel the premier service. He yelled back "it's done!". I will be looking for another product. I don't trust this company anymore!

Original review: Sept. 21, 2019

I have had Ooma in my primary home for over 10 years and never had an issue that was not fixed with just rebooting the Telo unit. Sound quality is good and service spot on. Have the premier service for around $135 which has a lot of features. Use the 3-way calling and phone number blocking a lot. I just installed a new Ooma service in my Mom's home. Had an issue with the telo unit not functioning properly. Was sent a new unit, no charge, and it worked perfectly once the Ooma CSR set up the codes correctly on their side. My mom is 93yo and loves the savings over using AT&T landline which was charging near $100/mo and the AT&T service sucked being out at times 4-6 weeks. Imagine that inconvenience.

Original review: April 9, 2019

Many times people will swiftly shout out the failures of service, but I would like to express my delight as an Ooma customer. When Ooma was first introduced to me by Brian and the Boise team, I was skeptical. I had VoIP service before, but it was nothing like what I have experienced with Ooma. I truly appreciate the great work Ooma is doing as a company and the exceptional quality of the Boise team.

Ooma Telo expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Ooma Telo devices provide VoIP calling for free. Customers connect the Ooma device to their Internet line and to their preferred handset. The device sends voice calls over the Internet for free; for domestic calls, consumers only pay the applicable taxes and fees. Ooma devices are available online and at several major retailers.

• Extra features: All Ooma accounts come with caller ID, voicemail, call waiting, an online call log and more. For an additional monthly fee, customers get a second line, free calling to Canada and Puerto Rice, three-way calling and other premium features.

• Ooma-to-Ooma calling: Ooma users can use their Ooma connected phone to call any other Ooma line for free, even if the users are in different countries.

• International calling: Customers can place international calls for as little as 1.4 cents per minute. Those who prefer to know exactly how much their bill will be each month can subscribe to Ooma’s World Plan, which allows customers to place unlimited calls to 60 countries for a consistent monthly charge.

• Smart home connectivity: Ooma can connect to Nest thermostats to automatically forward calls when the thermostat is set to away. It can also send notifications to Android and Apple devices when someone calls the Ooma line so they will know who’s calling when they’re away from the house.

• Accessories: Ooma sells several accessories so consumers can customize their system. Options include adapters to make the unit wireless, wearable handsets for safety and Bluetooth connectors to sync Oomas to cellular phones.

• Best for: Ooma is best for individuals who want a low monthly rate and have an existing Internet provider.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs