Ooma Telo

Compare Home Phone Service

Research top Home Phone Service recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I ordered OOMA for my mother to replace her local telephone service. When my mother passed away, I cancelled the service. Now 4 months later, I've had to call them again to try to get them to stop charging my credit card. I hope it works this time. Their story was that they told me that they hold the account open for 60 days in case I sell it to someone else. Problems with that story. I don't have the device. I told them that 4 months ago. I told them to cancel immediately. If you're holding an account open for 60 days (the story they told me today), why is it still charging me 120 days later? At what point does it become it become theft - charging for a service that you don't provide. They are not apologetic about charging my account for an extra 4 months. They say they will credit my account for the charges. I hope it will happen. Good example of a company you don't want to give credit card information.

I ordered my Ooma Telo and wireless adapter in July. It worked for a while and then kept going out. They sent me a new adapter and again it worked for a while. It stopped working a few weeks ago and after 5 calls to customer service they agreed to send a new Telo and adapter. They arrived today and same problem. I called twice (got disconnected the first time) and was told they could not help me until I get an email, which I will get in 1-2 days... Last time they told me that it took a week and more calls. I am now fed up with them and now be asking for a refund. I am very disappointed with this company.

Spoke to both Avir and Carlo and they were extremely rude and will hang up each time from chat when they don't have the answer. When I would go back to start another new conversation as soon as it was my turn it would get disconnected. When I did this 3 times. As soon as I changed the title of my concern I was able to chat with someone. Terrible customer service. I will be using a different VOIP and not Ooma anymore. I'm writing this right after my conversation.

I had Ooma VOIP phone service for several years. It was OK, sometimes sounded like in a tunnel, sometimes service went out, but overall was fine for the price compared to other options. When my cable company offered a great package with multiyear significant savings, I ported my number. I thought it wouldn't be a big deal. I was so wrong.

First, be sure you make the rep send you an email of every single thing they tell you they will do, including canceling the account. Next, even though this may sound weird, trust me - you have to do it - tell them that you do not want them to assign another number to your unit. Tell them you aren't going to sell it or "give it" to someone else. Why? Because a couple months after my account was closed, they assigned me (better yet, my credit card on file) a phone number I was unaware was assigned to me. They have the nerve to say that I agreed to it and that they sent me an email (Nope! no email!). Then they start charging credit card on file for monthly service. You can't chat or email about it- they will send you to the phone number for customer service.

Meanwhile, if you try to log on to OOMA.COM account, you won't be able to get in because you really did close the account. When I called today and gave them my number, they had no record of me. They said my account was closed. I had to give them my name and address and *poof* suddenly they say "OH, your number is ***-YYY-ZZZZ." I was like WHAT?? What number??? And then the insanity of the conversation began. The imaginary previous "discussion" about me selling or giving my Ooma unit away. I never, ever said that or even knew people did that, I hadn't even considered it. I think my unit is out in a pile of stuff in the garage, actually. I think the scam is to reactivate your device under the guise that you will give it to someone to use. I would think you would have to request that in order to do that!

When you ask them to send you emails, they will put in that the day that you are calling is when you canceled service, even when that is not true. Always write them back and say "no, you are wrong, I canceled on ** date, you are fraudulently using my cc and closed account to set up phone numbers that are not mine". ALWAYS WRITE THEM BACK and set them straight, and keep for your records. Tell them you are staying on the line while they send the email. They will do it, begrudgingly, but insist. Don't hang up until that email hits your inbox. Promptly write them back and correct any misinformation and tell the rep the same. I told them I had never experienced such a racket in my life.

Lastly, I suggest canceling the credit card number and having a new one issued when you close your account or port your number. I was only able to get 3 months back (though I am going to dispute the charges with my cc and let them go after Ooma) but if I had changed the card number then they would have not been able to charge me.

This was the worst business choice I've made to date. Ooma promises the stars but does not deliver at all! There are sooo many problems with this product and the company I don't want to waste any more time than I already have. Just some examples; Very slow to ring, slow to answer, bad sound quality, messes with my internet connection, bad customer service, missing 100's of calls and don't find out till later, customers calling and getting a recording that the number is not in service, difficult and painfully slow to use extensions... etc... If you value your business do not use this.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ooma Telo?

Cost appears good BUT THE COMPANY is the worst. I ported my number, My prior company disconnect my line, Ooma notified my line was active, BUT OOMA failed to change the number in their computer system so I HAD 0 calls. And when people called they got a "this line is not in service" message. When I found, called O.-- oops, they fixed, then I had duplexing issues. Line cut out when people were talking, kind of fixed. Was not getting email notifications of voice mails then was getting them 1.5 to hrs late. Talked with every day this week, 30+ minutes a call, still not fixed. It appears their people are well trained to be polite but they know nothing, and the "engineers" appear to be people trained only to fiddle around and perhaps stumble on a solution. All of this in less than 30 days. BTW, their website is not user friendly. Things are placed in very counter intuitive locations. All in all, if you can afford it USE VONAGE.

First of all the service is terrible. Calls with customers were constantly dropped. We quickly ditched Ooma and went back with our previous service provider. That was the best part of our experience with Ooma. The worst was yet to come. Since then we've had 8 months of them trying to get us to resell their ** equipment and continuing to charge our credit card. I've had no less than four calls with them to where I'm begging them to cancel the account and they say they're "working on it". STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY!!! The service is awful but trying to break free is even worse. We've had to cancel our business credit card in order to cut ties with them. THE WORST!!!

I live in a rural area with poor cell reception, but very good high speed internet. I got OOMA to forward my cell phone for work calls. Although the forwarding feature worked well, as did the email voicemails, the call reception was very poor. People constantly complained they could not hear me, there were tremendous delays, pauses and clicks on the line. It was just not professional.

When I called to cancel the service, I had to talk to three people, none of whom "had the authority to cancel the service" and kept asking me the same questions over and over, trying to talk me into keeping the service. They would not accept that I just wanted to end the service. I told them that if they didn't, I would file complaints with multiple entities. That did not seem to phase them. I finally stopped auto-drafts with my bank to cancel the service. I would never, ever recommend this company to anyone.

This review is about my experience with customer service based in the Philippines. At first I was able to talk to a customer representative (Frank) trying to resolve the issue why the porting process was being rejected. So I requested to have a 3-way conference call with my provider so we can resolve the issue and Frank attempted to place the conference call then got disconnected.

I called back and this time got a customer representative (James) a very arrogant customer representative who claims to know everything. That the only way to resolve and communicate the issue is via email to their porting department and will not deviate from that concept, then goes on and on to explain how the process works... Finally I asked for his supervisor but hesitate to do so and play the game that all supervisors are at a meeting and so on and so forth. I tried to mention that there is an issue with the zip code that we need to use to port OUT and he just do not understand and still refuse to get a supervisor that is more knowledgeable about the porting process. So I demanded to talk to anybody that knows about porting and finally a manager informed me to use their corporate address in Palo Alto Ca 94303 vs. using my own address on the account.

This cleared the porting error for my service provider finally, but it is not over because OOMA need more time to release my number to my new provider. They are stalling and 3 days later my number is still dead. So this time (day 3) another OOMA representative suggested that it should be named OOMA Inc on the porting request instead of just OOMA. So needless to say another 24 hour wait is required...

I am posting this review to share my experience with OOMA to other consumers who are considering a VOIP system. I am hoping that the porting will be completed on day 4 now... Still in limbo with no phone! I will update this review upon completion of the porting OUT process. I am now at the mercy of OOMA's willingness to release my phone number to a much preferred provider with customer representatives that are based in USA.

Man where to start with this company. They keep billing our company $25 for a phone service we do not use. I called to cancel and was transferred to some overseas calling center where they wouldn't cancel the account no matter how many times I asked. 15+ times of "Cancel the account please" and I had to threaten to get our company attorney involved just to cancel a $25 a month VOIP phone line. We were probably going to reactivate our Ooma device once we started needing the line however after all of that I'm just going to pull an office space and take it out back and beat it with a bat. Do yourself a favor and stay away from this company!

I discontinued using my Ooma. I gave it to a friend and called Ooma and got a transfer code for him so he could activate the device without an additional fee. Two months later Ooma started charging my account again because he did not activate the device. I called in to find out why and they automatically start charging your account if the device is not activated within those two months. It took 25 minutes to get them to cancel my account. The agent kept saying, "We will give you a two month extension on the transfer." I explained it wanted the account cancelled not transferred and after 19 minutes of trying to get me to accept the extension, she said she had to check with her supervisor to get approval to cancel the account. I had to threaten them with legal action before they would cancel the account. I'm sure they make millions off of accounts that people thought they have cancelled but they still continue to charge.

After doing some research I dove in and invested on the Ooma service for home. The initial set up and number porting went as promised and I started out on the free trial of the Premier package. As it looked like I could live without the features of the Premier package I called and asked to cancel it before the trial period ended... And that was when my nightmare started. Customer service said no problem, they would switch it for me immediately. Two weeks later I noticed on my online account that I was still on it. I called CS and the person said I can't terminate until the trial period has expired then I have to call to terminate it. End of story, they terminated the trial immediately. It was just a line he was feeding me.

Two months later I started getting 2 or 3 scam messages on the Ooma box. I had set the Ooma box to only answer after 10 rings as my regular answering machine picks up after 4 rings. My regular machine did not get any of these scam messages (saying I owe back taxes). I called Ooma CS and they said I need to upgrade to premier in order to block these scam calls. I tried to explain my setup and that my guess was that the messages were somehow coming directly through their system but all the agent said was that I needed to upgrade. I didn't upgrade but since calling no more scam calls have come in. Coincidence?

Ooma claims the monthly fee they charge is only for Emergency 911 service. Interestingly I was paying .61 cents a month for this service with my old phone service providers but Ooma says it costs 3.98. Also, after the first 4 months they started adding the tax on top of that. Why not before? If this is a monthly service fee why don't they just label it as that and not advertise as a "free" phone service?

Last issue (for now)... Two months ago I received notification that my warranty for the Ooma box was expiring and if I wanted to buy an extended warranty. I did not respond. Now for the last week the Ooma box goes "offline" for about 4 hrs at a time every couple days. I called Ooma CS and they said there is a problem with my ISP (but interestingly I don't seem to have any internet problems). My ISP reports no interruptions in service. My call back to Ooma CS resulted in their Tech Support saying that there is a problem with my Ooma box which is covered under the extended warranty only and I should buy a new Ooma box and get the extended warranty up front.

Coincidentally, each time I call CS the Ooma box goes back online after I hang up and works fine for a few days without Ooma "fixing anything from their side." My supposition is that Ooma is up to some shady practices to get more money out of you. The core service seems to be okay, though I can't seem to ever get a clear connection.

I opted for the Ooma service in November 2016 due to their TV commercials and online reviews. I went and purchased the Ooma Telo from Best Buy and took it home to set up. Cost at store was $107 with the tax. A nice credit of $50 came with the purchase from Ooma so it came to $57 final cost. I then unboxed the unit and set it up with no problem. At the set up screen I was offered the Ooma Premier service which came to $138 for the year. This was due to my having a free port with the upgrade. Number ported over fine. I did have to call because they didn't provision the ported number for use. Simple chat session and all was ok.

Now on the 4-5th of the month I receive a credit card charge for taxes and fees. Please note there was no "state sales taxes on this charge" and it does not show on their online calculator after you enter your zip code. I call in January 2017 to have this removed, three live phone service persons refused saying they have a right to charge sales tax. I told them in NY you cannot and if it was not removed I would port out and for the record for a greedy $3.99 extra a year. I did just that.

It is on principle not on price. I also filed an FCC complaint, an online complaint with the NYS Tax Department and the Consumer Frauds and protections Bureau at the NY Attorney Generals office. Additionally I called my credit card company and placed a denial on Ooma from any further charges (read the internet and find they keep charging your card after you cancel service with them) and of course a charge back on both the Premier Service (pro-rata). I recommend if you are considering this company, don't get them. Like I said the call quality is great, and I can say the phone and chat are also pretty good. But, if you want to be nickel and dime to death then get Ooma. They are consumerate liars and not worth the money hassle.

There is nothing better than Ooma! Not having to pay a cable company or carrier for a landline is the best thing in the world. The only price you pay is the government issued tax. I didn't really interact with customer service save for the time I had to activate everything and rectify my billing. During those times customer service was polite and professional.

I have never had a problem with the Ooma. The only time it goes down is if my terrible Comcast service goes down. Otherwise, I have had no service interruptions. It installs into your home in such a way that you can use any phone at all with it! You can have all your phone lines be active and use a plain old, non-voip phone with it.

It is still cheaper than what l have now, but l tried it because l'm on a fixed income. It was promoted as free, then all these taxes showed up. At first they weren't expensive but then they got higher and higher. When l would call and ask about all these fees, they said it was taxes and they had no control over that but l could set up an account with them and it will be deducted from that account. But they could never really explain the fees completely. The service works well, it was clear. As long as your internet is reliable, your phone is great! No static on the line from your side. But l could never get the call blocking to work right. I had the plan that gave me all the extra services, blocking unwanted calls, etc. But when you went online to my account to utilize them, it was not always easy to use. And the way they laid them out was something's a bit confusing on certain services like call blocking.

The service was pretty, not many drop calls, wasn't that much hard to figure, was easy to get used it when I need to call long distances but overall very nice. Awesome customer service helped me through the set up. The cost they were very nice and patient. They will explain anything you need to know. Service was good. Loved how it didn't give me drop calls but was very reliable and sturdy to call far away. Highly recommended this service to all. Was easy to use just like a normal phone but better calling far away. No set up just a few clicks and you are all set up. They have a great customer care that help you out.

I would have to say the value is very great. It is affordable to all and I think it is well worth the money for what you are going to get in return. I have to say the customer service for this product is just excellent. Short waiting time and they will answer all of your questions and concerns in a timely manner. The service is very reliable. You won't have to worry about calls being dropped or lost. It is just a very great service to have for the entire family. It is extremely easy to use. There is nothing to be worried about. It is all very simple a child can use it with ease. There is never a problem that can't easily be fixed.

The price is less expensive than most other services and it is very quick to pick up the way to use it and I even convinced a few of my friends to also purchase the service for themselves. Any time I have any issues the customer service is very helpful and also will walk you step through step. It doesn't matter what time of day and also I am able to reach them through the computer. I have not had any issues with making phone calls or even setting the system up and if I do come across any problems big or small the customer service is there to help with any problems. It is very easy to use. Even my 8-year-old niece was able to figure out how to use the system. I also had no issues setting the system and the first time I used it it was extremely user-friendly.

It took care of all my needs and was handy for me. It is also good value and something that is definitely satisfactory for my needs. It will be satisfactory for others too. The customer service was good and most of the issues I had were minor. Whatever I called about was handled in a quick manner. I didn't have much of an issue with service. Minor connection issues here and there but for most part it was a good service without too many problems. It was set up once and I had no real issues with using it. It will be super easy for you to use as well! Take comfort in its ease.

One can enjoy unlimited calls within the united states, for a low monthly service fee. It seems good value considering it also features bluetooth, online phonebook and music ring tones. It's alright. I did not actually contact their customer service, but I know they have live chat 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You can also contact by phone 7 days a week. Not sure of the time though. Not sure about the reliability... all I can say is One of their features is that they have encrypted calls, so it's more secured than regular landline. It's easy if you are into tech stuff. For those who are not, there are faqs and youtube videos that will help for the setup. Or contact support by live chat or phonecall.

I love it and it's affordable and easy to use. Everyone use it easily and it's service you so you feel calm and relax. It's amazing and I think... Yes the service to serve people and guide them in a proper way... it's great. I love it. If the customer service wasn't good so you never work with that company again. Yes it's reliable and I can trust on it, and I think so if I thought that so others also have the same experience and they love it, it's have long working life. Yes it's very easy and very light. You don't have any issues to use it. Even you can use it where you want and when because it's not have disturbing issue.

Good value for the money. It wasn't the best service but I live in a populated area so it isn't an issue except when traveling. I'd recommend to anybody in a similar situation. Reliability was good. It was reliable for the most part except when hitting some more rural areas. I wasn't in these areas often so it was never an issue for me. It was easy and simple to use. Nothing was difficult about the process, and nothing was hard about using it. There was little to no difference in this company and others in the field.

This service is great. I mainly use the subscription service due to frequent calls to offshore developers for my side business. Without it, I would be forced to do everything via email. The purchase and set up processes were simple. The service itself is as reliable as my internet connection. As long as my connection is working properly and isn't experiencing any sort of downtime, the service works great. The service is super simple to set up and use. I am not a technical wizard but I can't think of many products or services that were easier to set up and immediately start using.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Ooma Telo devices provide VoIP calling for free. Customers connect the Ooma device to their Internet line and to their preferred handset. The device sends voice calls over the Internet for free; for domestic calls, consumers only pay the applicable taxes and fees. Ooma devices are available online and at several major retailers.

• Extra features: All Ooma accounts come with caller ID, voicemail, call waiting, an online call log and more. For an additional monthly fee, customers get a second line, free calling to Canada and Puerto Rice, three-way calling and other premium features.
  • Ooma-to-Ooma calling: Ooma users can use their Ooma connected phone to call any other Ooma line for free, even if the users are in different countries.
  • International calling: Customers can place international calls for as little as 1.4 cents per minute. Those who prefer to know exactly how much their bill will be each month can subscribe to Ooma’s World Plan, which allows customers to place unlimited calls to 60 countries for a consistent monthly charge.
  • Smart home connectivity: Ooma can connect to Nest thermostats to automatically forward calls when the thermostat is set to away. It can also send notifications to Android and Apple devices when someone calls the Ooma line so they will know who’s calling when they’re away from the house.
  • Accessories: Ooma sells several accessories so consumers can customize their system. Options include adapters to make the unit wireless, wearable handsets for safety and Bluetooth connectors to sync Oomas to cellular phones.
  • Best for Ooma is best for individuals who want a low monthly rate and have an existing Internet provider.

Compare Home Phone Service