1.72/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Last updated: March 21, 2018

66 Ooma Telo Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: March 21, 2018

I have had an Ooma system for 2 years. It works great. If you have the premium account with Ooma they charge you their fee once per yr on your setup anniversary. The problem I have with them is this: They do not send you an update e-mail telling you the anniversary date is getting close. These are automatic renewals so they a charged to your checking or credit card account you set up. I have no problem with the fee or charge, but they DO NOT send you a reminder. For those of us on Social Security or fixed incomes we have to manage our account to cover our bills each month. My complaint is I contacted Ooma and asked why I did not get a reminder the bill was due. They said, "We don't send out reminders," and then disconnected the chat.

I have read about their customer service, but now I see what is said about them is true. Too bad because this is a good system and saves a lot of money on telephone service. I have no order number or receipt because this is a system I have used for 3 years. I fortunately have had enough money in my account at the time they pull the payment. Trying to keep track of the renewal date is one thing, but Ooma could easily send a reminder. Customer service is terrible.

Original review: March 12, 2018

I discontinued my Ooma service and ported to Verizon nearly two years ago. They continued to charge me for over a year. After I complained to my bank and blocked them from my checking account, they tried to charge a debit card. Luckily that card had expired. Now they are sending emails and calling to try to collect because they can't charge the card. Incompetent and dishonest. Will never use or recommend Ooma to anyone ever.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: March 4, 2018

I have been with OOMA since they first came around. I was ecstatic when they offered lifetime premier and jumped on the offer. I have to say it was the best thing I ever did. I never want to see a Verizon or Optimum telephone bill again & thanks to OOMA I won't have to. Yes, OOMA could do better with getting customer service representatives from America so they actually understand English... but hey every company is outsourcing so you can't just blame OOMA for that.

Original review: March 3, 2018

I've been trying to cancel a non-existent account with these guys since September of last year. Every month, on the phone with inadequate staff who obviously can't do the job they were apparently hired for. Been trying to stop them from charging my bank account for services never established. Took them six months to finally email me return labels for equipment that's just been sitting around my restaurant. Then when I finally get the equipment returned, they try to tell me I took too long to return the items. Hello, maybe off they'd sent the labels immediately, they'd have their equipment back sooner. Stay away from these idiots! Best advice I can offer!

Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

Called and cancelled June 2017. They tried to get me to stay-told them clearly I do not use it and do NOT want any more charges. They said the "account" would "remain active" for 60 days in case I wanted to sell and transfer it but assured me no cost to me. Today discovered they have continued charging me monthly (thru Feb 2018). Called and again they tried to pressure me into "keeping the account open" and that's why I have the monthly charges -- and if I want to sell it this is needed. It's worth about $10 and the monthly charge is $5.**- LOL. I repeatedly said," No, do NOT want more charges, do NOT want open account. CANCEL as per my request last June."

They are very hard sell - "she asks where is the Ooma" - doesn't matter if it's in a closet or the trash does it?? It's mine. I don't have to report in! Just stop charging me! Refused refund for all the months they have charged (said I was supposed to "call back again two months later" - what? I have to call repeatedly to get this cancelled?). Well, I think my credit card can cancel it!! And can refund me. Asks me at end of call if I'm satisfied with assistance today. Are you kidding??? Where is the Ooma -- well, you can guess where it is now!! My complaint will be filed with credit card company today.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ooma Telo?

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

I called to cancel my services in September and their agent told me I can sell my equipment on eBay, yet they continued charging me services for October, November, and December. When I called back in, they lied and said they never got my cancellation call. BEWARE of their stalling and scamming practices to continue charging for services they no longer tender. Worse company ever, do not use them!!!

Original review: Jan. 17, 2018

I purchased the service and used it for a few months. We decided we did not need the service anymore and cancelled it August 2017, they withdrew from my account September, I again attempted to cancel only to be pitched about their service. Needless to say this went on through November where they withdrew from my account twice. I changed debit cards and didn't receive a charge in December. They withdrew from my account again yesterday. My bank stated that it is not a recurring charge so it is difficult to cancel. Do not use this company, they are a total nightmare, scam.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2018

OOMA techs took my Telo number and put it on my friend's login information. His address, town, phone number is different to mine... But he is also OOMA's customer for many years now recovering from the effects of a stroke including cognitive, speech, physical, hearing loss etc. Thus causing him to make some bad financial decisions. Since OOMA advertise that a customer can log into their account, delete, block unwanted callers we asked to allow us to log into his account. Nevertheless, OOMA is unwilling/unable to do so.

Months, weeks, days, hours of communication with OOMA... still unable to log in. I explained the problem in ENGLISH but OOMA thinks it is a joke, This, is Elder Abuse, Deceptive advertisement stating that a person can log into his/her account. Thus, reported to the FTC after my several attempts to resolve. Am also a senior with disabilities who feel that America must monitor businesses from overseas doing business in America. Never had a problem with ATT, Sprint.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

Am writing on behalf of Mr. Robert ** aged 84 OOMA CUSTOMER for over 2 years who is unfamiliar with a computer usage but willing to follow steps provided. Also, an OOma customer who is experiencing great difficulty in communicating to OOma about both Mr. ** as well as my unable to log in as OOma has put another person's account on each of us at separate addresses.

Since Mr. ** had a stroke he needs to block numerous annoying telemarketer who try to sell him braces by calling several times daily. Thus, blocking his needed family, therapy appointment visits + am asking the Federal government to look into this matter. I.e. OOma gives us temporary logins... but this other person's phone cannot be removed/deleted for our log in information. We each have Premium OOma, payments are deducted electronically from Mr. ** bank account per his request. Meanwhile, telemarketers refuse to give us their phone numbers and continue to bombard us trying to sell back braces, pain relief, internet money making schemes. Personally, since Mr. ** has great hearing loss he gives out his credit card information. Thus, I have presented/accompanied him to his bank to fill out forms to recoup his finances as they refuse to refund his money within 3 business days, stop calling.

Also, as his documented Power of Attorney am speaking on his behalf legally as well as my own experiences with my own account. Since these telemarketers seem to be calling from overseas with foreign Asian accents this is Medical Fraud. Ooma seems unqualified/ unwilling to resolve the log in problem. Also is located in the Philippines thereabout. Time the United States government investigate the reason the both Mr. ** and my separate accounts are linked to another person's. Also, why OOma techs will not/cannot remove this account from our 2 separate account with different addresses, names, log-in information. This seems like Fraud.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2018

I have had Ooma for a couple of years, but decided to cancel the service. That experience with Ooma was horrendous! I was transferred then dropped twice before finally talking to someone in the Philippines who read off a script. After going through that process, the operator told me she couldn't cancel my service! I was going to have to wait 24 to 48 hours until someone else from Ooma would call me back. I'll finish this review once I've heard back from Ooma, but this is ridiculous!

Original review: Dec. 28, 2017

I have never had such an excruciating experience with the customer service/support as with this company. Even the government agencies outshine this company. They do not provide you with an actual invoice that would be needed for IRS purposes and no one at the support/service line even knows if they can do this. "We are a paperless company." I am sure the IRS would laugh at this response.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

It has worked very well for me, My original Ooma was bought in 2012 and lasted 5 years. So $20/year, plus tax, is pretty cheap for phone service. I recently bought another. The hook-up is easy but not so clear in the directions. I took it with me when I move or travel, voicemail messages are available online, and you can choose an area code from anywhere! Make sure you have reliable internet. But even using slower, satellite internet worked for me at my summer place. I've always had a good experience calling Ooma for tech or billing. If accents bother you, try the online chat, And if you want to cancel billing, why not call your credit card company?

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

I have been a customer for about five years. I saw that the latest Telo offered Bluetooth and other features. I bought it and installed it. I then started to have many PROBLEMS. The new Telo device treated me as though I were a hybrid; it saw my existing account, but wanted NEW number so I now had two accounts. My old number was no longer the contact number I have had for 40 years but the generated number from Ooma. Asked customer service to remove the new account and it did by sending the request to the tech staff. I then lost all my contacts, black lists, call logs, etc. Ooma's customer service is pitiful; the reps have only a conversational knowledge of English (they were from the Philippines); my final contact was a senior rep (she claimed) who spoke good English but still couldn't solve my problem.

Anybody who thinks American tech people are less smart than the rest of the world should think twice; low wage scales elsewhere may boost corporate profits short term, but anger the customer base... If Ooma wants me to refer friends to Ooma, well, after this experience I hope others be aware of the inadequate technical and linguistic skills of its tech staff. I used Ooma's contact page to send a note to its head of customer support this evening (11/2). It would surprise me to get a decent response. I didn't last week after spending 2.5 hours on the phone with customer support.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2017

Poor quality sensors. I have replaced batteries twice in one month on motion detector. Sensors constantly lose connection with network. Initial order was shipped incorrectly. Warranty doesn't cover return shipping costs to the US. Just crap.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

I picked up Ooma home telephone equipment 4 years ago, on sale at London Drugs. It was extremely easy to activate, and I have used it for the past 4 years as our home phone with no issues whatsoever. The call quality is just as good as dedicated landlines. What I like also is that when traveling I can pick up messages anywhere, and, using the Ooma app, phone anyone via WiFi or Data (I do not have a cell phone, and use my iPad mini cellular for this). The cost is only for 911, and I pay under $4 a month. Cannot beat this service, in my opinion. Exceptional.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

I gave them my cc card info and signed up. Tried to cancel services for 7 months while they continue to bill my cc even after they cancelled the card. These fools have a way to get your new card numbers and Visa just keeps giving it to them. This company is awful. Do not use under any circumstances.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

I called to discontinue my service and was given a confirmation number for the cancellation; however, they continued to bill me for the services while the OOMA unit sat in my closet unused. When I called about the billing, they would only refund 2 months out of the 10 months that they continued to bill me. They stated that they wanted to keep the account open in case I sold the unit to another person so it would be easier to restart the account for them. Or some such nonsense. If I own the unit and if I choose to sell it then it is the buyer's responsibility to set up their own account, not mine. What about CANCELING OR DISCONTINUING THE SERVICE is that difficult to understand? I told them cancellation "system" they use is a con job & would never use them again as a result. IF I CANNOT TRUST THE CUSTOMER SERVICE THEN WHY SHOULD I TRUST THE COMPANY OR ITS PRODUCTS OR SERVICES.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2017

I used the Ooma Telo VoIP service for several years without a problem. About 6 months ago, decided to get rid of the landline. Called to cancel the Ooma service. The monthly charges continued. Called a second time to cancel. Was told that this time it would be cancelled. Charges continued. Called a third time and said in no uncertain terms to cancel the service and stop charges. Just found another charge to my account this week. You can't cancel on the weekend, because their special "cancellation team" in customer service does not work on the weekends. Beware if you ever decide to cancel this service. You need to watch like a hawk and keep checking your statements for months to see if they actually cancel as you request.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

I had visited a grocery store (Panchavati in Ellesmere/Markham) and found a OOMA Services sales pod. The sales guys was selling the services (9.99 per month). The sales guy's name was Arman. When I requested him to waive off the device charges (50 CAD one time), he said he will take off it and the waive will be done for me as a special case. I took the connection and after a couple of months when I checked the debits to my Credit card, I realized that the 50 dollars + taxes was charged to my account. I called up the call center but they refused to act on it stating that the promotional offer does not provide that option.

This is really unfair - how can the company refuse to accept the commitment provided by the field guys. How do they accept that WRONG promises to be offered in the field and make the customer pay for the unfair practices. I am sure with the high attrition rates, the sales guy would have quit the company and eventually a customer like is expected to shut up. But I want the company to pay for the changes and provide me the waive-off since this is totally unfair practice on the part of OOMA.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2017

I tried to set up my Ooma device and had problems so I called "Customer Service". That's when the problems got even worse. The representative I spoke with had very poor English language skills for starters. I asked her where she was based and she reluctantly told me she was in the Philippines. Of course Ooma advertises their customer support is located in THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. They lie about that. But the real problem was that the representative had an adversarial attitude right from the beginning and suggested I just cancel the service if I had a problem with setting it up... WHAT??? What kind of company employs people to antagonize brand new customers and, even worse encourages the customers to cancel?

I also realized that Ooma is trying to make additional money by setting up the so called "Premier" service which you are AUTOMATICALLY enrolled in and have to cancel in order to avoid a $9.99 per month charge. I also wanted to have my current phone number ported to Ooma and that became another huge issue... I was ASSURED by my sales rep that this was a simple process and that Ooma would support me through it. Not only was customer support useless they were downright adversarial! I slept on the decision and decided to cut my losses - today I canceled the Ooma account and blocked any further charges to my credit card. I also talked with my credit card company about the Ooma claim to pay for shipping the device back and they will stand behind me if, and when (as expected) Ooma refuses to honor their promise.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

I cancelled service with Ooma in January of 2016. I asked to completely cancel service because it did not work as intended with my neighborhood's front gate. The rep mentioned that instead of cancelling I could transfer service to someone else. I told him, again, that I wished to cancel service. I thought all was well until I just happen to look at my bank statement closely today and see a $4.80 charge. The way that it was listed on my statement, I thought it was a charge for another service, but after researching, I found out that Ooma has never cancelled my service and has continued to charge me for ALMOST TWO YEARS. When I called to demand a refund, they offered me a two month refund (which I laughed at). They are now "reviewing" my request for a full refund. Be absolutely careful when considering this company. I can see a class action lawsuit on the horizon as I have read horror stories about their billing practices.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2017

If this company put as much money into their customer support as they do into their marketing they might have a chance. It all SOUNDS good - we ordered the product, received the self install kit (which was fine)... and this is when the issues started. The first issue was porting our numbers over. I was ASSURED by our sales rep that this was a simple process and that Ooma would support us through it. Not only was customer support useless they were down right adversarial!

After a month of attempting to port our numbers with no help from Ooma we decided to cancel our account. This was worse than trying to get support to port number - online reps refused to help - they referred us to live customer support, live customer support was again adversarial and kept insisting that we provide information that we did not have even though we had the account number - the billing address and the credit card paying the account. We finally found that the only way to cancel the account was to cancel the credit card so that they would not receive payment. Never again with this company - I can not even rate their technology as we could never get it to work. If I could give ZERO stars on this review I would.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2017

I first started with the old Ooma Hub system (the one that was boxy and had the big square lights that look like something from an old Star Trek set (pretty neat design). I configured it for my business, so I actually could run two business lines through with a rollover. It was not easy getting the wires right, but there was help online and I figured it out... and this was for a somewhat rare setup.

Amazing that such a service even existed, and saved me MANY HUNDREDS over the years. It worked so well, I bought another Hub for the home, and it continues to work great. Then, I needed a second unit for my second business, but wanted Bluetooth. So got an Ooma Telo (V1). Again, works great, and I have it configured for a rollover line as well.

When we were going to go on an extended vacation (something very rare for me), we installed the Ooma Security feature. Sensors in the office worked wonderfully, and still do, on a schedule and with notifications I can control. The savings over home security services that lock you in and charge way, way too much... well, that was great as I'd been burned with those contracts in the past. I'd say it is worth getting an Ooma just for the home security option. It is dependable and has a lot of features you won't get with a traditional route. I could not be more pleased with the three Ooma systems I have purchased. They have worked dependably for years, even the old ones that are not even technically supported anymore. I rely on that old system every day for my business and I would not do so if I did not experience a stellar track-record.

Ooma systems are VERY well designed, and I am unclear why there are these poor reviews on here. I can only imagine these are people dipping their toes in Voice-Over-Internet and not really looking for a solution, and then they get peeved when they realize they can use their cell phone at home and have waited too long for a full refund. Not saying their complaints are lies... but gosh, it just runs so counter to my experiences that I wanted to more evenly balance the reviews here because, in my opinion, Ooma rocks!

Original review: Aug. 14, 2017

I am 64 years old living on SS. I strive to save money every way I can so I decided to give Ooma Telo a try. After ordering the basic home unit on April 28, 2017, I received a unit for small business. Contacted Ooma and they stated that they will research the issue. After a week, they stated that the unit I received was supposed to ship to a company in NY. At this time they shipped the unit I ordered. They stated that they would send me prepaid authorization to return the business unit. On May 22, 2017 almost a month later I received the authorization & had UPS pick up the unit. Tracking showed that they received the unit & I called & verified.

On May 15, 2017 Ooma drafted the correct amount of $4.70, the monthly fee for the home system I have. In June, July & August they drafted $4.70 each month for the unit I have and deducted $26.33, $26.29 & $28.13 also for the unit I returned. They agreed to refund the $28.13 overcharge for August but refused to refund for June & July totaling $52.62. Kevin of Ooma stated that their policy is nothing over 30 days old will be handled. Why did they wait until June to start the overcharges? They stated that I was suppose to cancel the service for the wrong unit they shipped? Poor way to do business ripping off senior citizens.

Original review: July 31, 2017

This is my first official review of any company, but the product and cancellation processes were such a joke I would hate for anyone else to pay for it. Like one of the other reviewers, our device had a lot of connection issues which could never be fully resolved despite lengthy calls. Keep in mind, my husband and I are both tech savvy people so this is not because of our tech knowledge.

When we canceled in August of 2016, we were given the option of selling or giving the equipment to other people which we declined. Here's our fault - we didn't notice they were still billing us (obviously, this was our fault). When I called they acknowledged that we canceled the account however we were still billed $5 per month because we were going to give the device to others!!! WHAT A CROCK. I confirmed again now that we were not going to give our devices to anyone and frankly didn't know where there were. Again, I was assured we were canceled. On top of it they continued to push their services throughout the phone call.

Original review: July 28, 2017

This OOMA is a nightmarish company. After porting my number from another provider purely on cost considerations (like a fool I am), was unable to receive incoming calls. After more than 5 attempts with so-called tier-3 support, they tell me that my phone might have been transferred to some other provider. No idea how that could have happened. First they refused to tell me which provider then they mentioned something like Boroadbovice. After a long frustrating conversation and not able to get a solution, finally cancelled the service without a clue if I can keep my number by calling any other provider. Very bitter lesson. Don’t even touch this provider with a ten-foot pole.

Original review: July 25, 2017

I got a call from Ooma asking me to try their product for 60 days. I have to admit they were persistent and good. After 45, I called ask to return. They told me that they can give me another 60 days. I felt I had nothing to lose but my time, so I agreed. Thirty days before my trial is about to expire, I called them and ask them that I do not need it because my cell phone fine and I tried to use it a few time and (the quality of the sound quality is fine). I ask them how should I return the device, they told me that I cannot and they will not refund me the money for the device ($99.99). I told that I never was told that the device could be only returned within first 60 days. I ask them that they record conversations with their clients and he could listen on the conversation. I was told that they keep it only for 30 days (and I just missed it). I ask the rep if it make sense that I got free trial for the service but not the device. So basically, they are liars.

Original review: July 20, 2017

Terrible experience. We were sold on Ooma when sales person came in. Loved the features of an app and price per line was very good. Thought we would give it a shot. Well... they leave you to set it all up yourself (and it was very confusing). The quality of the system was terrible. Bad connections. We have two lines and they were not rolling over. Our fire alarm system kept going off. We decided soon after to go back to our phone company that we had before because everything always worked great with them.

The worst part of this experience was when I called customer service at Ooma to cancel, the lady on the phone (Eesa?) would not take me telling that I wanted to cancel with Ooma because mainly our fire system is not compatible with Ooma. I asked her 4 or 5 times that we were canceling and what the next steps would be. She just kept saying we need to reconsider. This to me was very rude and I told her so. I don't normally write reviews but I want to warn small businesses that Ooma may not be right for them.

Original review: July 15, 2017

After talking to friends about VoIP, I decide to drop my line, I purchased Ooma Telo on the 25th of June. Today is 7/15/7017. (The company is 50 miles from me.) I have called (once), I was told sales is working on shipping it out to me, and it should arrive within the week (didn't happen). I have live chatted (3 times) asking about my order, each time told it will take 2 to 3 days to get info from the sales dept, I have yet to receive a response via email from the company on the status of my order. The money was taken from my account the following day. I will be asking for my money back if it does not arrive shortly.

Original review: July 8, 2017

I canceled my service with Ooma after frustration trying to reinstall the device after I got a new network. I called customer service a minimum of 7 times. They were complacent and very unfriendly. Since I couldn't use my device, I called to cancel it... Of course they did everything to keep me including offer a huge discount. Still unsatisfied, because it was the worst customer service experience I have ever had in my life, I canceled. They told me to sell my device because it was worth money. I told them I would think about. They continued to charge my credit card $4.30 per month. I went online to chat with CS, and guess what? They couldn't help me. Stay away from this company!!! Worst customer service - liars - they charge your credit card!

Ooma Telo expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Ooma Telo devices provide VoIP calling for free. Customers connect the Ooma device to their Internet line and to their preferred handset. The device sends voice calls over the Internet for free; for domestic calls, consumers only pay the applicable taxes and fees. Ooma devices are available online and at several major retailers.

• Extra features: All Ooma accounts come with caller ID, voicemail, call waiting, an online call log and more. For an additional monthly fee, customers get a second line, free calling to Canada and Puerto Rice, three-way calling and other premium features.

• Ooma-to-Ooma calling: Ooma users can use their Ooma connected phone to call any other Ooma line for free, even if the users are in different countries.

• International calling: Customers can place international calls for as little as 1.4 cents per minute. Those who prefer to know exactly how much their bill will be each month can subscribe to Ooma’s World Plan, which allows customers to place unlimited calls to 60 countries for a consistent monthly charge.

• Smart home connectivity: Ooma can connect to Nest thermostats to automatically forward calls when the thermostat is set to away. It can also send notifications to Android and Apple devices when someone calls the Ooma line so they will know who’s calling when they’re away from the house.

• Accessories: Ooma sells several accessories so consumers can customize their system. Options include adapters to make the unit wireless, wearable handsets for safety and Bluetooth connectors to sync Oomas to cellular phones.

• Best for: Ooma is best for individuals who want a low monthly rate and have an existing Internet provider.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs