Find a VoIP Providers partner

Start receiving calls today

Manage Your Business Phone System with Dash from VirtualPBX

Get started

About Ooma Telo

Ooma is a standalone device that requires low power, is always on and runs independently of your computer. The only thing you need to install and start using Ooma phone services is a phone line and a high-speed internet connection. It specializes in crystal-clear calling for residential use and VoIP phone services and communication solutions customizable for any size business.

Top Ooma Telo Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I've had my Ooma VOIP service for about four years now and just love it. I've saved a ton of money using Ooma, too… It just doesn't make sense to pay so much for something like th...

Verified

I've been with AT&T for 23 years, it's been nothing but a nightmare… I was telemarketed by a guy name Brandon, he was so kind… The switch over was amazing, they should honestly ha...

Start receiving calls today

Manage Your Business Phone System with Dash from VirtualPBX

Get started

What is Ooma?

Ooma sells a standalone device that lets you make phone calls over the internet. No computer is required, but you must have a high-speed internet connection for the company’s free plan.

There are wireless options available, and installation is easy. Most plans include unlimited calling in the U.S., Canada, Mexico and Puerto Rico, low international rates, 911 service and free number transfer.

Ooma plans

Ooma business plans do not require long-term contracts and make it easy to use a separate business line. Calls are clear, and there are more than 35 features available to streamline productivity and improve communication. Some of the most popular business call management features include the mobile app, virtual receptionist, call park, ring groups. music-on-hold and transfer music.

Ooma offers three residential home phone service options, the Ooma Telo, Ooma Telo Air and the Ooma Telo 4G. The company’s home phone solutions let you access free U.S. calling, advanced voice compression, encrypted calls, adaptive redundancy and the ability to access your voicemail all through the Ooma app.

With the Ooma Telo Air and the Ooma Telo, phone service is $0 a month, shipping is free and customers only pay applicable taxes and fees.

Below is a breakdown of Ooma’s most popular plans:

• Ooma Telo: Nationwide calling for free. All you pay are applicable taxes and fees.
  • Ooma Telo Air: Connects through your Wi-Fi, which lets you install the unit anywhere within range without worrying about the wires.
  • Ooma Telo 4G: Wireless phone service with a high-speed 4G LTE connection. Ideal for homes without internet.
  • Ooma Basic: Unlimited, nationwide, crystal-clear calling for free.
  • Ooma Premier: All the features included in Basic service and an additional suite of advanced features, including call blocking and upgraded privacy and mobility options.
  • Ooma Office: Phone system for small businesses. Includes unlimited calling in the U.S. and Canada. Unlimited lines/users with private voicemail.
  • Ooma Office Pro: All of the features included in Ooma office plus call recording, a desktop app and enhanced call blocking.

How much does Ooma cost per month?

There is no monthly contract for basic Ooma phone service. For the most basic plans, you only pay for applicable taxes and fees. The most budget-friendly option is Ooma Premier, which is $9.99 a month at the time of publishing and gives you access to an entire suite of features, including adding a second line and call blocking.

Ooma does offer more advanced internet phone solutions, and some require a monthly fee. As of the time of publishing, the Ooma Telo Air costs $129.99 upfront and $0 a month, and the Ooma Telo is $99.99 upfront with no monthly fees. Business owners can pay $19.95 per month per user for Ooma Office or $24.95 per month per user for Ooma Office Pro. Shipping is free.

For plans that do not have a monthly contract, customers still pay taxes and fees. The taxes depend on your location, and the fees can be broken down into four categories:

• 911 service fee
  • Federal universal service charge
  • State and local taxes, fees and surcharges
  • Regulatory compliance fee

Your monthly taxes and fees are calculated based on the 911 address you have on file.

To save money, some customers purchase refurbished Ooma units. All refurbished units have been preowned, but they have undergone a thorough quality control test to ensure you get the same features and quality as you would with a new unit.

Ooma FAQ

Is there a monthly fee for Ooma?
Basic home phone service with Ooma does not require a monthly contract. Customers do pay applicable taxes and fees.
Is Ooma really free?
There is no monthly fee for the basic home service, but customers do pay taxes and fees. If you want to upgrade your unit, you will pay anywhere between $99 to $129 for the equipment.
Can you keep your phone number with Ooma?
Sometimes. You can check if your current number is compatible with Ooma by entering your info into the website.
What’s the difference between Ooma Basic and Ooma Premier?
Ooma Premier offers all of the same features as Ooma Basic but adds advanced features such as call blocking and adding a second line. Premier also adds upgraded voicemail, privacy and mobility options. Ooma Premier is $9.99 a month, and Ooma Basic is free.

Is Ooma any good?

Yes. If you’re looking for an affordable, versatile VoIP solution. Ooma could be a good choice. The company’s devices have crystal-clear call quality, high-quality hardware, an easy to use mobile app and different plans to meet your needs and your budget. The device is easy to install, set up and use.

Ooma Telo Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ooma Telo?

Original review: March 17, 2021

We moved to Ooma when we “cut the cord” with cable. I have quality home phone service including an answering machine and voicemail for the cost of my taxes and regulatory fees only, mine are $5.45. There is no charge like one would have when bundling with cable. With cable bundling you are paying the same taxes and fees but on top of that the cable company is charging you for the same phone service you get free with Ooma. Ooma does not charge you. There are plans with features that some folks want or need and it’s $9.99 not an introductory price that skyrockets, just $9.99. I don’t need the extras so I get by just fine paying the governmental fees and taxes. This blows most people’s minds.

After we got the Ooma Telo box, which is just a simple normal setup a VoIP which works like one would have with a cable company through the router, (what many of us think of as landlines are actually VoIP already, if your phones is plugged into the router/modem you already have VoIP voice over Internet Protocol) or you can go wireless. The Ooma website is extremely easy to navigate. You can keep your phone number, that’s called “porting”, we’ve had the same number since the early 80’s. Ooma Customer service has always been nice, fast, and helpful. It is straight up no negotiations, no bull. I couldn’t wait for the first bill so that I could show the cynics who were saying it was too good to be true, that little $5 charge spoke volumes and they were speechless.

We had a problem with the sound on our answering machine (which is included with the Ooma Telo). I made only one phone call to Ooma, a very short phone call and no hassle, no problem. They shipped out a new unit and paid the return shipping for the old one. Just think about that scenario with a cable corporation. I’m laughing because I remember all the absurd time wasted sitting on the phone with that cable company. Multiple calls disconnections just trying to get an incorrect charge on a bill fixed, only to have it show up on the next month's bill. All of that waste of something so valuable, time, gone. All of the stress dealing with problem after problem, gone. All the ridiculous monthly bills that kept creeping higher and higher, gone.

I wish I had switched to Ooma the first day it was available. They have home security, business phone setups, and a lot of other services. I’m the one in the family who has had to deal with the cable internet phone that’s why this is so long because I am passionate about finding a company that I don’t have to fight over bills with, I’m able to relax about this part of life. I did not think that would happen. I fully expected to be on my deathbed on the phone trying to explain to Comcast Xfinity that I’m in the ER dying and need to cancel my service and having them try to upsell me on some quadruple play. Ooma probably saved me from a stress induced heart attack. They are worth checking out. If you’ve read this far go to their website.

Original review: March 16, 2021

I started using Ooma service and the Teleo Voip device back in June of 2012. At the time I had been using my Cable TV providers telephone service and paying around $40+ a month for this. Looking at what my phone needs were, $40+ just seemed too much to just make occasional calls and receive the increasing junk calls. From day 1, the Ooma service has been rock solid. Setup was easy / simple, support was helpful w/ live people at the end of the line, the connection has been reliable and overall quality of the voice service is awesome. The fact that after the initial purchase, the monthly cost was a quarter of what my cable company charged, the savings added up quickly and to date totals $4100 (they have a cost savings calculator on the home screen).

I gained all the bells and whistles that I'd have to pay even more for w/ the Premier service level and even gained a 2nd number for whatever use I wanted. When I moved, all I needed in the new home was an internet connection and my phone service came with me by just plugging it in. (Live on day 1.) I can't say enough about this service and product. I've had zero issues and when I needed some answers to some service specifics, if it wasn't already on their site, a customer service rep would answer for me. In these current days of short use technology that always seems to be needing replacement, OOMA has lasted the test of time and still works perfectly 9 years and running.

Get buying tips about VoIP Internet Phone Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2021

I had changed my in-home telephone service from landline to voice over internet protocol (VOIP) using Vonage many years ago, already achieving significant savings versus the cost with the incumbent local exchange company (ILEC) US West/Qwest. The monthly change for Vonage was gradually increasing, so I had an incentive to look for other VOIP providers with similar and better options.

In December 2016, the Ooma Telo enabled me to replace the Vonage hub and save even more, since under their service there is no monthly charge for basic service (although you still have to pay the US phone tariff tax). So for the cost (less than $100) to buy the Telo hub (which I purchased through Costco when they were having a sale), I eliminated a double digit monthly fee. Ooma enables transferring your phone number easily, usually at no cost. I upgraded to Premium service which also incurs an annual fee, but was still significantly less than what I had been paying.

On the phone service side in the four years since I estimate my savings to be $1,500, assuming the Vonage service costs would have been unchanged. They also provide an app for my smart phone that allows me to make and receive calls (including WiFi), potentially avoiding other fees from my wireless provider. I personally do not make many wireless calls, so this hasn't saved me a lot of money.

But there was more value to be had. I had installed a home security system about 1995 that was monitored for a monthly service charge. Ooma provides bluetooth-based sensors that I could easily replace the existing wireless system self-installing the sensors and pairing them to the Ooma. I have twelve sensors deployed (plus a siren) and have customized the warning modes for when I am home, temporarily away, on vacation, or during nighttime. All of this I control and monitor from an app on my smart phone. I am comfortable self-monitoring my security status, but Ooma also offers 24-hour/day monitoring for an additional fee (I have not opted to do this). My sensors monitor external doors, garage door, windows, motion on three levels, the presence of water around my water heater, and smoke on two levels. I have a separate CO detector which doesn't connect to my Ooma, unfortunately.

You can configure your security app to automatically change modes from home to away based on geolocation, and vice versa when you return so that monitor modes change automatically. I have submitted some suggested improvements to the app over the years and they have updated the apps in response. The app has been very stable.

My Telo hardware failed a couple of years ago, but I was covered under warranty and received a replacement unit in a couple of days. The app warns you when a battery is failing in a sensor and also if the sensor is being tampered with. The one sensor type that isn't provided that I would like to have is breaking glass sound detector; I had a couple of these in my old system.

I have my system on a battery backup UPS that supports my internet network and the telo during a power outage. Since I purchased my Telo, Ooma has added a version which has a battery backup built into it with a cell service backup if the internet is not available. I haven't deployed this because I already had the backup configured to accomplish something similar. If the internet provider goes down, the cell alternative would be a plus. I might consider this in the future, but my service has such high availability, it hasn't been an issue for me. I consider my Telo and home security one of the best, most cost-effective decisions I've made.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2021

I bought an Ooma Telo, a VOIP service, a few years ago on the advice of my brother, who has used it for several years. I have a landline and a mobile phone. With Ooma Telo, I was able to end my landline phone service, which cost around $15 - $20 a month, which paid for the cost of the Telo within 6 months. Now I pay around $5.50 a month, tax included, for the convenience of having a landline. And with the Ooma app on my mobile phone, calls made from my mobile phone when within the range of my wifi are thru Ooma, saving me valuable minutes to be used when I'm not near my Ooma Telo.

How does Ooma Telo perform? I honestly can't tell the difference between the quality of my calls before Ooma and since I've installed it. The only drawback is that when the internet goes down due to storms, etc, then Ooma is offline and that's why it's good to have a mobile phone, too. Here in the Midwest that may happen 2 or 3 times a year, usually just for a very short period, rarely more than an hour at most. Verdict: If you or a loved one has a landline and wants to have lower phone bills, Ooma Telo is the way to go. They also offer Telo for business. Think of the potential savings there!

Original review: Jan. 22, 2021

I signed up with Ooma after the Sunrocket and Teleblend fiascos and after feeling ripped off by Vonage. I got in on their first device, which was pricey at $200 but promised a free service from then on. Afterwards, they were required to collect taxes and fees, but kept their promise to me, as an original customer, and I was not subject to those. Then, a lightning surge took out my original Ooma device, and I had to purchase the new Telo, a more streamlined and modern VOIP adapter.

Ooma allowed me to keep my fee-free status, even though it was tied to the device, not me, to transfer to this Telo device. It is sleek easy to use and set up. The "buttons" which are not buttons, but just touch-sensitive areas that are illuminated on the face of the device, are almost too sensitive, as I find I end up turning something on or off if I just reach over it to get something else. Otherwise, it has worked out well in the years since we've had it and I just hope it does not fall prey to any lightning surges, and I have to get a replacement that will incur the fees. Around $5/month isn't much, but it's more than the nothing I pay now.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2021

I have used OOMA for my home service telephone for years and have been very satisfied. Overall it was costing me around $15 a month for their premium service that allows you to block calls plus the monthly telephone taxes I was required to pay every month. It was still a lot cheaper than my old AT&T home service! I never had any problems with it and would rate my service with them all 5 star up until my attempts to cancel. You cannot do it on line. And when you get through to a person (in India I think) they go through about six prolonged steps to try and get you to continue service with them. I politely said "no thank you" to each one and they finally agreed to cancel my service. A few minutes later I dialed the OOMA number from my cell and sure enough I got a busy signal!

However today, a few days later, I was alerted by a friend that calls to my old OOMA number were being answered in India by somebody offering "free" money. In other words, a "phishing" scam. Alerted I also first blocked my caller ID and then called the number and sure enough I talked with a man who is apparently in India and when I let him know I was on to his scam and was going to be calling everybody in the world to stop him, he hung up on me just as he had done with my friend who alerted me to the problem. I began calling OOMA and of course I no longer have service with them. After three phone calls and talking with five different people all of whom somehow hung up on me or disconnected me I finally got action from a "supervisor" and only after I told him that my next call was going to be to the FCC (Federal Communications Commission). Great service while I had it. Lousy service when I cancelled and after I had cancelled.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2021

I was sent a desk phone as part of a 30-day trial. I didn't want a desk phone, but they said it was included in the trial. After I agreed to try their service, he kept calling me every day to see if I got the phone yet. The phone was fine. I have a small desk. I don't need a bulky corded phone on my desk. I mostly use a soft phone or my cell phone with an app to take business calls. On the soft phone, I was able to make calls easily enough, although there was an unusually long delay from the time I tried to dial a number and when it actually started ringing on the other end. I never experienced this with RingCentral. Very annoying.

Then we decided to port one of our incoming business lines to Ooma. Once the port went through, I then learned that our incoming business line was ported to a fax line. Thankfully one of my existing customers emailed me to tell me that he could not reach me because when he called my business line, he got the loud beeping of a fax machine in his ear. I don't know how many prospective customers I may have lost during the time that my main business line was connected to a fax line. When I tried to contact Ooma customer service to fix this problem (because their admin portal won't let me fix this myself), I waited on hold for 20-30 minutes. Once someone picked up, I had to be transferred to someone else and then the call was dropped. This happened to me two times before I was able to reach someone that was able to reattach my business line to a phone that I could answer.

Also, there is no music on hold included with Ooma business plans. You have to buy your own royalty-free music and upload it yourself. Otherwise, your customers hear dead silence when you put them on hold. I also was unable to make my after hours business voicemail greeting work the way it did on RingCentral (and the way it now works on DialPad). Their system couldn't do it. Meanwhile, I continue to get sales calls from Ooma trying to get me to switch back to their service.

At this point, we started looking for another provider that could provide a simple solution for a sole-proprietor business at a savings. We found DialPad, which has been a DREAM to set up. Every interaction with DialPad has been pleasant and easy. We initiated the porting of our business number from Ooma to DialPad. Because of the length of time the porting took, we went over our 30-day trial period. Once the port was complete, cancelling the Ooma service was a nightmare. They want to hit me with the cost of the desk phone! There was a rental agreement hidden in the contract. The phone was not free! Early termination fees! They want me to pay to ship the phone back to them that I didn't want, otherwise they will charge me for the phone if they don't get it back.

This whole experience has been like extortion. If you don't need any phone hardware to run your business, DO NOT accept any "free" equipment from anyone trying to get you to switch to Ooma. I spent 37 minutes on the phone trying to get them to send me a prepaid return label for the phone. I was transferred to a manager who told me that he sent me the label. After hanging up, there was no label, just the boilerplate email with the shipping address that they want me to send it to. I replied saying that the manager told me that he was sending the label. The response was that they don't send prepaid labels. FAIL! DialPad lets you try their service for free, test it out, without any equipment rental entanglements. Once we knew that we loved it, we switched to a paid account so that we could initiate the porting process. DialPad ROCKS!

Original review: July 31, 2021

I used OOMA for 9 years and loved it. I purchased a plan for basic lifetime free & the service was good. Meantime use to buy the add-on features by paying extra & Quality was very good. Never had a problem. Due to covid need to move & did not use service & OOMA closed the account without notifying the customer in an email. Now asking to pay for a monthly subscription. Don't fall for their any future promotion of a lifetime plan where you will pay a good amount & OOMA find a reason to push you to the monthly subscription. Don't fall for lifetime promotions. You might get closed automatically some time!

Original review: July 19, 2021

After trying multiple to contact them on the phone (because you cannot cancel in your online account) I eventually made it to a customer service person and after the 3rd time confirming they threw the device away (I bought it used to start with) and the 4th time of them trying tell me about the benefits.. I told them they could cancel my account or I can dispute it on my Credit Card. Response: your account is cancelled.. Click Service was Ok.. Equipment was a pain.. Glad they are gone.

Original review: April 6, 2021

In theory, Ooma seemed like a good idea. I bought the Telo and three HD3 handsets along with the upgraded calling plan - spending $310. That was a mistake. I should have bought just the Telo to test it out first. The first thing I noticed was that the robust robocall prevention that was advertised is not so robust. I still get a lot of calls that should have been blocked - including calls that I blocked myself. Another aggravation is that when I call comes in and I answer hello, there is a significant delay before I have an actual connection. Also the quality of the handset speakerphones leaves something to be desired.

But, worst of all, is that it just stops working. The blue Telo light makes you think that the system is working, but the handsets themselves are dead in the water. I find this out only after getting a voicemail by email. I've missed important calls, and that a problem that the low monthly cost doesn't make up for. Instead of continuing to call support and play with it, I wish I had returned it right away. Now six months later, I guess I'll have to live with it - I can't bring myself to just throw away $310. But I won't renew my upgraded calling plan and eventually I'll just give up on it.

Ooma Telo Company Information