1.65/5
Based on 39 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

73 Ooma Telo Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 14, 2018

Pretty good VOIP service and features, but app is weak. I have had OOMA premium service with 4 number for a few years. One of the reasons I selected OOMA was because their mobile app allows you to place and answer calls from their mobile app as if you were at your home or desk. I immediately found out that when you use the mobile app it will only make calls from the main number, even though I have 4 numbers, I cannot make a call from any of them except the main number. This is a major shortcoming. I have seen many request a resolution to this over the years. I have reported it myself a few years ago. They ignore the requests and never make improvements. For this reason I can't recommend them and will be looking for a better solution.

Original review: June 1, 2018

The company did not cancel my acct. Took back the equipment but never credited my account. I canceled my service in December and they kept charging my acct, and when I called they kept saying it was cancel while charging me.

Get expert buying tips about Home Phone Service delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 29, 2018

Here is the quick good and bad with Ooma Telo. Service is good, device is relatively inexpensive and easy to activate, is as reliable as your internet service and your monthly cost is low. Bad...Cancelation is next to impossible. Customer service is aggressive and will not quickly cancel without asking you why multiple times. In addition they continued to take out the monthly charge from my account even after I canceled. When I called to get it rectified they did reluctantly reimburse only after I said I would contact my attorney. Unless you plan on keeping the Ooma Telo long term I would look for another VOIP service where customer service is easier to work with.

Original review: May 24, 2018

I started with Ooma in 2015, bought the Telo device at Costco, activated it all right, did my dues with Bell porting the number. Bell was going crazy with its prices, I only had local calls with them and they had increased tariffs to 35$/month, so Ooma seemed like a good option, they advertise 5$/month. All seemed OK, but to start you up, they offer a year of free Premium service, which includes a second number, call display... the works. After a second year, I realized that I do not really need Premium, that was another hundred and such plus taxes, so added up it amounted to some 20$ plus per month, which starts to look like Bell. So I cancelled Premium, took quite a bit of chatting with some online automatons, eventually I had it removed. And there it all broke down.

The Ooma Telo box started to go offline. Intermittently. The app on the iPhone was still working OK, that was actually the ridiculous part of it, I was talking with support through THEIR equipment, and they were telling me that MY equipment was not working. Ran some traces, there were sockets (TCP links) established by the Telo with some time servers, and a link to Palo Alto, where probably most of their equipment is found. I had some material to talk about, once linked to the techs.

Support though... gets you straight to India. Not that I have a problem with Indians, but these guys... looked like they expressly chose the most arrogant, disrespectful and incompetent people they could find. All they could talk about was lights on the Ethernet ports, they would not believe you doing all the tests and insist on following a procedure made for dummies. By sheer luck I found a Lady Indian that had enough respect to listen, and eventually escalated the ticket to California, so that I could talk to a tech in Palo Alto.

A nice guy, he seemed really ready to help, but troubleshooting? Forget it. I even proposed we Team Viewer together, so that he could see what the equipment was doing. No dice. He proposed a second courtesy Telo box, which he did send, I received it some week later. Unfortunately, not much change came from that. I kept on telling them during all that, that the account was the issue, that some settings on some database are wrong, after the account "transformation" and that somebody needed to look into that.

No dice, new box was the best I could get from them. But no phone service. And there I am, a year or so, later, with a "Ooma voicemail service" that I pay 5 bucks a month. The iPhone app broke down quite a bit, as a bonus, still works, but it drops me, sometimes in the middle of a call. Displays like... server disconnected, Unauthorized user. So I was authorized to start the call, but got de-authorized while talking. :-) If that is not an account issue, I don't know what it is.

Trouble is... their support is geared, probably, for people that pay Premium. Their adds "as little as 5$" are really... mostly a lie. Anything goes wrong, you are dead in the water. So there... I said my trouble, hope it helps whomever needs to see this. If you want to save, but you are really bound to this low budget, think twice before heading towards Ooma.

Original review: May 2, 2018

I bought the Ooma instrument and service in 2015 and used it until March 23rd 2018. Called the customer service to cancel my service On March 23rd 2018. Customer service representative Mrs. **, gave me the idea to sell the instrument in Best Buy or Craigslist. Also gave me the transfer code valid for 2 months, since I was moving out of country. Didn’t have time to do it. She never mentioned I have to call them again to cancel. They started to charge my credit card every month, noticed after 5 months, called the credit card company and complained about their charge. Also called Ooma, they said they will take care and "You are set, will refund." Again started to charge.

Noticed after 7 months, called on May 1st 2018, it was a long call for more than an hour, the guy Mr. **, talked to me is justifying what they did is all right according to the agreement. The worst part is he is telling me I called only one time. This is totally FRAUDULENT. Company gets auto-pay agreement and takes customers money without authorization from customers. They took more than 300$ from me without any service. Please don’t get any service from them- you will get screwed up. These kind of companies should be sued, I cannot give any star for this Ooma Telo. FRAUDULENT AH.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ooma Telo?

Original review: April 30, 2018

I've Ooma from the beginning 6 years now and yes they have problems at the early days. Today much it much better service. Pro: Prices are very affordable, good hardware, overall product is 4 out of 5. Con: The has no way to automate, it's done through your credit card, 1 level support is not good, 2nd is much more professional. Ooma need to do work on customer service interaction, provide the full customer experience.

Original review: April 29, 2018

Worked great for voice when I first got it five years ago. Lately though, I’ve been getting occasional reverb on voice calls. Faxing has always been an issue and has gotten worse over time. Basically, you can fax as long as what you’re faxing doesn’t have a lot of print. Customer service is worthless. When I had trouble faxing, they had me fax a sheet of paper with one word on it. When they received the fax, they said my problem was solved. When I told them I’m not able to fax anything with more print and that only faxed because it had little print on it, they still marked my problem as resolved and ended the phone call. They asked, “Have I resolved your issue?”, and I said “Well, no!” and chuckled.

Original review: March 21, 2018

I have had an Ooma system for 2 years. It works great. If you have the premium account with Ooma they charge you their fee once per yr on your setup anniversary. The problem I have with them is this: They do not send you an update e-mail telling you the anniversary date is getting close. These are automatic renewals so they a charged to your checking or credit card account you set up. I have no problem with the fee or charge, but they DO NOT send you a reminder. For those of us on Social Security or fixed incomes we have to manage our account to cover our bills each month. My complaint is I contacted Ooma and asked why I did not get a reminder the bill was due. They said, "We don't send out reminders," and then disconnected the chat.

I have read about their customer service, but now I see what is said about them is true. Too bad because this is a good system and saves a lot of money on telephone service. I have no order number or receipt because this is a system I have used for 3 years. I fortunately have had enough money in my account at the time they pull the payment. Trying to keep track of the renewal date is one thing, but Ooma could easily send a reminder. Customer service is terrible.

Original review: March 12, 2018

I discontinued my Ooma service and ported to Verizon nearly two years ago. They continued to charge me for over a year. After I complained to my bank and blocked them from my checking account, they tried to charge a debit card. Luckily that card had expired. Now they are sending emails and calling to try to collect because they can't charge the card. Incompetent and dishonest. Will never use or recommend Ooma to anyone ever.

Original review: March 4, 2018

I have been with OOMA since they first came around. I was ecstatic when they offered lifetime premier and jumped on the offer. I have to say it was the best thing I ever did. I never want to see a Verizon or Optimum telephone bill again & thanks to OOMA I won't have to. Yes, OOMA could do better with getting customer service representatives from America so they actually understand English... but hey every company is outsourcing so you can't just blame OOMA for that.

Original review: March 3, 2018

I've been trying to cancel a non-existent account with these guys since September of last year. Every month, on the phone with inadequate staff who obviously can't do the job they were apparently hired for. Been trying to stop them from charging my bank account for services never established. Took them six months to finally email me return labels for equipment that's just been sitting around my restaurant. Then when I finally get the equipment returned, they try to tell me I took too long to return the items. Hello, maybe off they'd sent the labels immediately, they'd have their equipment back sooner. Stay away from these idiots! Best advice I can offer!

Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

Called and cancelled June 2017. They tried to get me to stay-told them clearly I do not use it and do NOT want any more charges. They said the "account" would "remain active" for 60 days in case I wanted to sell and transfer it but assured me no cost to me. Today discovered they have continued charging me monthly (thru Feb 2018). Called and again they tried to pressure me into "keeping the account open" and that's why I have the monthly charges -- and if I want to sell it this is needed. It's worth about $10 and the monthly charge is $5.**- LOL. I repeatedly said," No, do NOT want more charges, do NOT want open account. CANCEL as per my request last June."

They are very hard sell - "she asks where is the Ooma" - doesn't matter if it's in a closet or the trash does it?? It's mine. I don't have to report in! Just stop charging me! Refused refund for all the months they have charged (said I was supposed to "call back again two months later" - what? I have to call repeatedly to get this cancelled?). Well, I think my credit card can cancel it!! And can refund me. Asks me at end of call if I'm satisfied with assistance today. Are you kidding??? Where is the Ooma -- well, you can guess where it is now!! My complaint will be filed with credit card company today.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

I called to cancel my services in September and their agent told me I can sell my equipment on eBay, yet they continued charging me services for October, November, and December. When I called back in, they lied and said they never got my cancellation call. BEWARE of their stalling and scamming practices to continue charging for services they no longer tender. Worse company ever, do not use them!!!

Original review: Jan. 17, 2018

I purchased the service and used it for a few months. We decided we did not need the service anymore and cancelled it August 2017, they withdrew from my account September, I again attempted to cancel only to be pitched about their service. Needless to say this went on through November where they withdrew from my account twice. I changed debit cards and didn't receive a charge in December. They withdrew from my account again yesterday. My bank stated that it is not a recurring charge so it is difficult to cancel. Do not use this company, they are a total nightmare, scam.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2018

OOMA techs took my Telo number and put it on my friend's login information. His address, town, phone number is different to mine... But he is also OOMA's customer for many years now recovering from the effects of a stroke including cognitive, speech, physical, hearing loss etc. Thus causing him to make some bad financial decisions. Since OOMA advertise that a customer can log into their account, delete, block unwanted callers we asked to allow us to log into his account. Nevertheless, OOMA is unwilling/unable to do so.

Months, weeks, days, hours of communication with OOMA... still unable to log in. I explained the problem in ENGLISH but OOMA thinks it is a joke, This, is Elder Abuse, Deceptive advertisement stating that a person can log into his/her account. Thus, reported to the FTC after my several attempts to resolve. Am also a senior with disabilities who feel that America must monitor businesses from overseas doing business in America. Never had a problem with ATT, Sprint.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

Am writing on behalf of Mr. Robert ** aged 84 OOMA CUSTOMER for over 2 years who is unfamiliar with a computer usage but willing to follow steps provided. Also, an OOma customer who is experiencing great difficulty in communicating to OOma about both Mr. ** as well as my unable to log in as OOma has put another person's account on each of us at separate addresses.

Since Mr. ** had a stroke he needs to block numerous annoying telemarketer who try to sell him braces by calling several times daily. Thus, blocking his needed family, therapy appointment visits + am asking the Federal government to look into this matter. I.e. OOma gives us temporary logins... but this other person's phone cannot be removed/deleted for our log in information. We each have Premium OOma, payments are deducted electronically from Mr. ** bank account per his request. Meanwhile, telemarketers refuse to give us their phone numbers and continue to bombard us trying to sell back braces, pain relief, internet money making schemes. Personally, since Mr. ** has great hearing loss he gives out his credit card information. Thus, I have presented/accompanied him to his bank to fill out forms to recoup his finances as they refuse to refund his money within 3 business days, stop calling.

Also, as his documented Power of Attorney am speaking on his behalf legally as well as my own experiences with my own account. Since these telemarketers seem to be calling from overseas with foreign Asian accents this is Medical Fraud. Ooma seems unqualified/ unwilling to resolve the log in problem. Also is located in the Philippines thereabout. Time the United States government investigate the reason the both Mr. ** and my separate accounts are linked to another person's. Also, why OOma techs will not/cannot remove this account from our 2 separate account with different addresses, names, log-in information. This seems like Fraud.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2018

I have had Ooma for a couple of years, but decided to cancel the service. That experience with Ooma was horrendous! I was transferred then dropped twice before finally talking to someone in the Philippines who read off a script. After going through that process, the operator told me she couldn't cancel my service! I was going to have to wait 24 to 48 hours until someone else from Ooma would call me back. I'll finish this review once I've heard back from Ooma, but this is ridiculous!

Original review: Dec. 28, 2017

I have never had such an excruciating experience with the customer service/support as with this company. Even the government agencies outshine this company. They do not provide you with an actual invoice that would be needed for IRS purposes and no one at the support/service line even knows if they can do this. "We are a paperless company." I am sure the IRS would laugh at this response.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

It has worked very well for me, My original Ooma was bought in 2012 and lasted 5 years. So $20/year, plus tax, is pretty cheap for phone service. I recently bought another. The hook-up is easy but not so clear in the directions. I took it with me when I move or travel, voicemail messages are available online, and you can choose an area code from anywhere! Make sure you have reliable internet. But even using slower, satellite internet worked for me at my summer place. I've always had a good experience calling Ooma for tech or billing. If accents bother you, try the online chat, And if you want to cancel billing, why not call your credit card company?

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

I have been a customer for about five years. I saw that the latest Telo offered Bluetooth and other features. I bought it and installed it. I then started to have many PROBLEMS. The new Telo device treated me as though I were a hybrid; it saw my existing account, but wanted NEW number so I now had two accounts. My old number was no longer the contact number I have had for 40 years but the generated number from Ooma. Asked customer service to remove the new account and it did by sending the request to the tech staff. I then lost all my contacts, black lists, call logs, etc. Ooma's customer service is pitiful; the reps have only a conversational knowledge of English (they were from the Philippines); my final contact was a senior rep (she claimed) who spoke good English but still couldn't solve my problem.

Anybody who thinks American tech people are less smart than the rest of the world should think twice; low wage scales elsewhere may boost corporate profits short term, but anger the customer base... If Ooma wants me to refer friends to Ooma, well, after this experience I hope others be aware of the inadequate technical and linguistic skills of its tech staff. I used Ooma's contact page to send a note to its head of customer support this evening (11/2). It would surprise me to get a decent response. I didn't last week after spending 2.5 hours on the phone with customer support.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2017

Poor quality sensors. I have replaced batteries twice in one month on motion detector. Sensors constantly lose connection with network. Initial order was shipped incorrectly. Warranty doesn't cover return shipping costs to the US. Just crap.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

I picked up Ooma home telephone equipment 4 years ago, on sale at London Drugs. It was extremely easy to activate, and I have used it for the past 4 years as our home phone with no issues whatsoever. The call quality is just as good as dedicated landlines. What I like also is that when traveling I can pick up messages anywhere, and, using the Ooma app, phone anyone via WiFi or Data (I do not have a cell phone, and use my iPad mini cellular for this). The cost is only for 911, and I pay under $4 a month. Cannot beat this service, in my opinion. Exceptional.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

I gave them my cc card info and signed up. Tried to cancel services for 7 months while they continue to bill my cc even after they cancelled the card. These fools have a way to get your new card numbers and Visa just keeps giving it to them. This company is awful. Do not use under any circumstances.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

I called to discontinue my service and was given a confirmation number for the cancellation; however, they continued to bill me for the services while the OOMA unit sat in my closet unused. When I called about the billing, they would only refund 2 months out of the 10 months that they continued to bill me. They stated that they wanted to keep the account open in case I sold the unit to another person so it would be easier to restart the account for them. Or some such nonsense. If I own the unit and if I choose to sell it then it is the buyer's responsibility to set up their own account, not mine. What about CANCELING OR DISCONTINUING THE SERVICE is that difficult to understand? I told them cancellation "system" they use is a con job & would never use them again as a result. IF I CANNOT TRUST THE CUSTOMER SERVICE THEN WHY SHOULD I TRUST THE COMPANY OR ITS PRODUCTS OR SERVICES.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2017

I used the Ooma Telo VoIP service for several years without a problem. About 6 months ago, decided to get rid of the landline. Called to cancel the Ooma service. The monthly charges continued. Called a second time to cancel. Was told that this time it would be cancelled. Charges continued. Called a third time and said in no uncertain terms to cancel the service and stop charges. Just found another charge to my account this week. You can't cancel on the weekend, because their special "cancellation team" in customer service does not work on the weekends. Beware if you ever decide to cancel this service. You need to watch like a hawk and keep checking your statements for months to see if they actually cancel as you request.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

I had visited a grocery store (Panchavati in Ellesmere/Markham) and found a OOMA Services sales pod. The sales guys was selling the services (9.99 per month). The sales guy's name was Arman. When I requested him to waive off the device charges (50 CAD one time), he said he will take off it and the waive will be done for me as a special case. I took the connection and after a couple of months when I checked the debits to my Credit card, I realized that the 50 dollars + taxes was charged to my account. I called up the call center but they refused to act on it stating that the promotional offer does not provide that option.

This is really unfair - how can the company refuse to accept the commitment provided by the field guys. How do they accept that WRONG promises to be offered in the field and make the customer pay for the unfair practices. I am sure with the high attrition rates, the sales guy would have quit the company and eventually a customer like is expected to shut up. But I want the company to pay for the changes and provide me the waive-off since this is totally unfair practice on the part of OOMA.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2017

I tried to set up my Ooma device and had problems so I called "Customer Service". That's when the problems got even worse. The representative I spoke with had very poor English language skills for starters. I asked her where she was based and she reluctantly told me she was in the Philippines. Of course Ooma advertises their customer support is located in THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. They lie about that. But the real problem was that the representative had an adversarial attitude right from the beginning and suggested I just cancel the service if I had a problem with setting it up... WHAT??? What kind of company employs people to antagonize brand new customers and, even worse encourages the customers to cancel?

I also realized that Ooma is trying to make additional money by setting up the so called "Premier" service which you are AUTOMATICALLY enrolled in and have to cancel in order to avoid a $9.99 per month charge. I also wanted to have my current phone number ported to Ooma and that became another huge issue... I was ASSURED by my sales rep that this was a simple process and that Ooma would support me through it. Not only was customer support useless they were downright adversarial! I slept on the decision and decided to cut my losses - today I canceled the Ooma account and blocked any further charges to my credit card. I also talked with my credit card company about the Ooma claim to pay for shipping the device back and they will stand behind me if, and when (as expected) Ooma refuses to honor their promise.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

I cancelled service with Ooma in January of 2016. I asked to completely cancel service because it did not work as intended with my neighborhood's front gate. The rep mentioned that instead of cancelling I could transfer service to someone else. I told him, again, that I wished to cancel service. I thought all was well until I just happen to look at my bank statement closely today and see a $4.80 charge. The way that it was listed on my statement, I thought it was a charge for another service, but after researching, I found out that Ooma has never cancelled my service and has continued to charge me for ALMOST TWO YEARS. When I called to demand a refund, they offered me a two month refund (which I laughed at). They are now "reviewing" my request for a full refund. Be absolutely careful when considering this company. I can see a class action lawsuit on the horizon as I have read horror stories about their billing practices.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2017

If this company put as much money into their customer support as they do into their marketing they might have a chance. It all SOUNDS good - we ordered the product, received the self install kit (which was fine)... and this is when the issues started. The first issue was porting our numbers over. I was ASSURED by our sales rep that this was a simple process and that Ooma would support us through it. Not only was customer support useless they were down right adversarial!

After a month of attempting to port our numbers with no help from Ooma we decided to cancel our account. This was worse than trying to get support to port number - online reps refused to help - they referred us to live customer support, live customer support was again adversarial and kept insisting that we provide information that we did not have even though we had the account number - the billing address and the credit card paying the account. We finally found that the only way to cancel the account was to cancel the credit card so that they would not receive payment. Never again with this company - I can not even rate their technology as we could never get it to work. If I could give ZERO stars on this review I would.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2017

I first started with the old Ooma Hub system (the one that was boxy and had the big square lights that look like something from an old Star Trek set (pretty neat design). I configured it for my business, so I actually could run two business lines through with a rollover. It was not easy getting the wires right, but there was help online and I figured it out... and this was for a somewhat rare setup.

Amazing that such a service even existed, and saved me MANY HUNDREDS over the years. It worked so well, I bought another Hub for the home, and it continues to work great. Then, I needed a second unit for my second business, but wanted Bluetooth. So got an Ooma Telo (V1). Again, works great, and I have it configured for a rollover line as well.

When we were going to go on an extended vacation (something very rare for me), we installed the Ooma Security feature. Sensors in the office worked wonderfully, and still do, on a schedule and with notifications I can control. The savings over home security services that lock you in and charge way, way too much... well, that was great as I'd been burned with those contracts in the past. I'd say it is worth getting an Ooma just for the home security option. It is dependable and has a lot of features you won't get with a traditional route. I could not be more pleased with the three Ooma systems I have purchased. They have worked dependably for years, even the old ones that are not even technically supported anymore. I rely on that old system every day for my business and I would not do so if I did not experience a stellar track-record.

Ooma systems are VERY well designed, and I am unclear why there are these poor reviews on here. I can only imagine these are people dipping their toes in Voice-Over-Internet and not really looking for a solution, and then they get peeved when they realize they can use their cell phone at home and have waited too long for a full refund. Not saying their complaints are lies... but gosh, it just runs so counter to my experiences that I wanted to more evenly balance the reviews here because, in my opinion, Ooma rocks!

Ooma Telo expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Ooma Telo devices provide VoIP calling for free. Customers connect the Ooma device to their Internet line and to their preferred handset. The device sends voice calls over the Internet for free; for domestic calls, consumers only pay the applicable taxes and fees. Ooma devices are available online and at several major retailers.

• Extra features: All Ooma accounts come with caller ID, voicemail, call waiting, an online call log and more. For an additional monthly fee, customers get a second line, free calling to Canada and Puerto Rice, three-way calling and other premium features.

• Ooma-to-Ooma calling: Ooma users can use their Ooma connected phone to call any other Ooma line for free, even if the users are in different countries.

• International calling: Customers can place international calls for as little as 1.4 cents per minute. Those who prefer to know exactly how much their bill will be each month can subscribe to Ooma’s World Plan, which allows customers to place unlimited calls to 60 countries for a consistent monthly charge.

• Smart home connectivity: Ooma can connect to Nest thermostats to automatically forward calls when the thermostat is set to away. It can also send notifications to Android and Apple devices when someone calls the Ooma line so they will know who’s calling when they’re away from the house.

• Accessories: Ooma sells several accessories so consumers can customize their system. Options include adapters to make the unit wireless, wearable handsets for safety and Bluetooth connectors to sync Oomas to cellular phones.

• Best for: Ooma is best for individuals who want a low monthly rate and have an existing Internet provider.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs