3.3/5 (460 ratings)

About Ooma Telo

Ooma is a standalone device that requires low power, is always on and runs independently of your computer. The only thing you need to install and start using Ooma phone services is a phone line and a high-speed internet connection. It specializes in crystal-clear calling for residential use and VoIP phone services and communication solutions customizable for any size business.

Top Ooma Telo Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I've had my Ooma VOIP service for about four years now and just love it. I've saved a ton of money using Ooma, too… It just doesn't make sense to pay so much for something like th...

Verified

I've been with AT&T for 23 years, it's been nothing but a nightmare… I was telemarketed by a guy name Brandon, he was so kind… The switch over was amazing, they should honestly ha...

What is Ooma?

Ooma sells a standalone device that lets you make phone calls over the internet. No computer is required, but you must have a high-speed internet connection for the company’s free plan.

There are wireless options available, and installation is easy. Most plans include unlimited calling in the U.S., Canada, Mexico and Puerto Rico, low international rates, 911 service and free number transfer.

Ooma plans

Ooma business plans do not require long-term contracts and make it easy to use a separate business line. Calls are clear, and there are more than 35 features available to streamline productivity and improve communication. Some of the most popular business call management features include the mobile app, virtual receptionist, call park, ring groups. music-on-hold and transfer music.

Ooma offers three residential home phone service options, the Ooma Telo, Ooma Telo Air and the Ooma Telo 4G. The company’s home phone solutions let you access free U.S. calling, advanced voice compression, encrypted calls, adaptive redundancy and the ability to access your voicemail all through the Ooma app.

With the Ooma Telo Air and the Ooma Telo, phone service is $0 a month, shipping is free and customers only pay applicable taxes and fees.

Below is a breakdown of Ooma’s most popular plans:

• Ooma Telo: Nationwide calling for free. All you pay are applicable taxes and fees.
  • Ooma Telo Air: Connects through your Wi-Fi, which lets you install the unit anywhere within range without worrying about the wires.
  • Ooma Telo 4G: Wireless phone service with a high-speed 4G LTE connection. Ideal for homes without internet.
  • Ooma Basic: Unlimited, nationwide, crystal-clear calling for free.
  • Ooma Premier: All the features included in Basic service and an additional suite of advanced features, including call blocking and upgraded privacy and mobility options.
  • Ooma Office: Phone system for small businesses. Includes unlimited calling in the U.S. and Canada. Unlimited lines/users with private voicemail.
  • Ooma Office Pro: All of the features included in Ooma office plus call recording, a desktop app and enhanced call blocking.

How much does Ooma cost per month?

There is no monthly contract for basic Ooma phone service. For the most basic plans, you only pay for applicable taxes and fees. The most budget-friendly option is Ooma Premier, which is $9.99 a month at the time of publishing and gives you access to an entire suite of features, including adding a second line and call blocking.

Ooma does offer more advanced internet phone solutions, and some require a monthly fee. As of the time of publishing, the Ooma Telo Air costs $129.99 upfront and $0 a month, and the Ooma Telo is $99.99 upfront with no monthly fees. Business owners can pay $19.95 per month per user for Ooma Office or $24.95 per month per user for Ooma Office Pro. Shipping is free.

For plans that do not have a monthly contract, customers still pay taxes and fees. The taxes depend on your location, and the fees can be broken down into four categories:

• 911 service fee
  • Federal universal service charge
  • State and local taxes, fees and surcharges
  • Regulatory compliance fee

Your monthly taxes and fees are calculated based on the 911 address you have on file.

To save money, some customers purchase refurbished Ooma units. All refurbished units have been preowned, but they have undergone a thorough quality control test to ensure you get the same features and quality as you would with a new unit.

Ooma FAQ

Is there a monthly fee for Ooma?
Basic home phone service with Ooma does not require a monthly contract. Customers do pay applicable taxes and fees.
Is Ooma really free?
There is no monthly fee for the basic home service, but customers do pay taxes and fees. If you want to upgrade your unit, you will pay anywhere between $99 to $129 for the equipment.
Can you keep your phone number with Ooma?
Sometimes. You can check if your current number is compatible with Ooma by entering your info into the website.
What’s the difference between Ooma Basic and Ooma Premier?
Ooma Premier offers all of the same features as Ooma Basic but adds advanced features such as call blocking and adding a second line. Premier also adds upgraded voicemail, privacy and mobility options. Ooma Premier is $9.99 a month, and Ooma Basic is free.

Is Ooma any good?

Yes. If you’re looking for an affordable, versatile VoIP solution. Ooma could be a good choice. The company’s devices have crystal-clear call quality, high-quality hardware, an easy to use mobile app and different plans to meet your needs and your budget. The device is easy to install, set up and use.

Ooma Telo Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ooma Telo?

Original review: May 2, 2022

Signed up with Ooma two weeks ago. The number was ported within two days and on monday, april 18, I tried to set up. In doing so, I found I cannot use my 800 number to text from. They had another number to use. I have a 504 but they gave me an 865. So a client texts and I text back from another number? That's not unprofessional or sketchy. Jeez. So I left. After being begged to stay at a discounted rate, I convinced them I did not want to pay for anything which didn't work. After being promised a full refund of the $55 I paid to sign up, I immediately went to another company.

I have not been refunded one penny. Instead, Ooma CHARGED ME for a second month. They did this within a WEEK of signing up! First, why are they charging me a week later? I had a month before I should've been charged. Second, where is my refund? Multiple phone calls over two days and many hours on the phone later, I managed to get the second charge refunded. STILL NO REFUND OF INITIAL CHARGE. That's $55. Don't know about you, but that's a serious amount of money to pay a corporation which didn't provide what I needed and has instead cost me six hours dealing with their incompetence and thievery.

Original review: April 4, 2022

Horrible auto-recovery. If you have a power outage, the device will not auto-recover. No amount of rebooting will fix the modem. Chat support is not the support you want, it will take you 20 minutes until they tell you that you need to call for support. Just use the call in support number. This will take you to a person who will write down your information to have someone else call you back at their convenience to assist you in bringing up their device.

Get buying tips about VoIP Internet Phone Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2022

Beware! The service is easy to start - wholly online and only takes a few minutes. But God help you if you ever want to cancel: took 4 days, no online capabilities; the chat agent said to email; e-mailed with no response; called and was on hold for 10+ minutes waiting for an agent; then had to talk to a total of 3 agents just to cancel the service. THEN, the number was disconnected immediately (never mind that it had been paid through the end of the month), AND the number is now redirected to a scam-like answering service that tries to sell you gift certificates. When a friend emailed me to say they had encountered this sleazy outfit when dialing my (now former) number, I tried it myself. Asked for myself by name and was told "the lines are down, but do you want a free $100 gift certificate?" When I asked for myself by name again, the agent said the same thing; never acknowledged that until an hour earlier this had been a residential number.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2022

I ordered the Ooma Telo basic version, which was supposed to be the phone service and handset. I specifically told them I did not want the premier version. Two months later, after being billed for the premier, I again called them and told them I had never ordered premier and didn't want it, and asked for a refund. Now, two months later, I am still being billed for the premier version. I just called and they said I had never cancelled it - even though I told them I had never ordered it! They also informed me that every month, I would have to pay a monthly telephone tax fee, something I was never told about in the beginning. READ THE FINE PRINT!

Original review: Nov. 7, 2021

I am so angry with them. I even swore at them to cancel my account. They still won't. I got till DEC 2021 of the 6 to pay them. I had a take out from my debit today pending. I was like, "What the heck?" I called them, said I cancelled the account, stop charging me. They would not. I guess I made the wrong mistake to buy and go with them. I even took them to the BBB as well hope some action gets taken. Anyhow since approved for the cell phone I do not want their line anymore till further notice.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2021

I have used OOMA for my home service telephone for years and have been very satisfied. Overall it was costing me around $15 a month for their premium service that allows you to block calls plus the monthly telephone taxes I was required to pay every month. It was still a lot cheaper than my old AT&T home service! I never had any problems with it and would rate my service with them all 5 star up until my attempts to cancel. You cannot do it on line. And when you get through to a person (in India I think) they go through about six prolonged steps to try and get you to continue service with them. I politely said "no thank you" to each one and they finally agreed to cancel my service. A few minutes later I dialed the OOMA number from my cell and sure enough I got a busy signal!

However today, a few days later, I was alerted by a friend that calls to my old OOMA number were being answered in India by somebody offering "free" money. In other words, a "phishing" scam. Alerted I also first blocked my caller ID and then called the number and sure enough I talked with a man who is apparently in India and when I let him know I was on to his scam and was going to be calling everybody in the world to stop him, he hung up on me just as he had done with my friend who alerted me to the problem. I began calling OOMA and of course I no longer have service with them. After three phone calls and talking with five different people all of whom somehow hung up on me or disconnected me I finally got action from a "supervisor" and only after I told him that my next call was going to be to the FCC (Federal Communications Commission). Great service while I had it. Lousy service when I cancelled and after I had cancelled.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2021

I was sent a desk phone as part of a 30-day trial. I didn't want a desk phone, but they said it was included in the trial. After I agreed to try their service, he kept calling me every day to see if I got the phone yet. The phone was fine. I have a small desk. I don't need a bulky corded phone on my desk. I mostly use a soft phone or my cell phone with an app to take business calls. On the soft phone, I was able to make calls easily enough, although there was an unusually long delay from the time I tried to dial a number and when it actually started ringing on the other end. I never experienced this with RingCentral. Very annoying.

Then we decided to port one of our incoming business lines to Ooma. Once the port went through, I then learned that our incoming business line was ported to a fax line. Thankfully one of my existing customers emailed me to tell me that he could not reach me because when he called my business line, he got the loud beeping of a fax machine in his ear. I don't know how many prospective customers I may have lost during the time that my main business line was connected to a fax line. When I tried to contact Ooma customer service to fix this problem (because their admin portal won't let me fix this myself), I waited on hold for 20-30 minutes. Once someone picked up, I had to be transferred to someone else and then the call was dropped. This happened to me two times before I was able to reach someone that was able to reattach my business line to a phone that I could answer.

Also, there is no music on hold included with Ooma business plans. You have to buy your own royalty-free music and upload it yourself. Otherwise, your customers hear dead silence when you put them on hold. I also was unable to make my after hours business voicemail greeting work the way it did on RingCentral (and the way it now works on DialPad). Their system couldn't do it. Meanwhile, I continue to get sales calls from Ooma trying to get me to switch back to their service.

At this point, we started looking for another provider that could provide a simple solution for a sole-proprietor business at a savings. We found DialPad, which has been a DREAM to set up. Every interaction with DialPad has been pleasant and easy. We initiated the porting of our business number from Ooma to DialPad. Because of the length of time the porting took, we went over our 30-day trial period. Once the port was complete, cancelling the Ooma service was a nightmare. They want to hit me with the cost of the desk phone! There was a rental agreement hidden in the contract. The phone was not free! Early termination fees! They want me to pay to ship the phone back to them that I didn't want, otherwise they will charge me for the phone if they don't get it back.

This whole experience has been like extortion. If you don't need any phone hardware to run your business, DO NOT accept any "free" equipment from anyone trying to get you to switch to Ooma. I spent 37 minutes on the phone trying to get them to send me a prepaid return label for the phone. I was transferred to a manager who told me that he sent me the label. After hanging up, there was no label, just the boilerplate email with the shipping address that they want me to send it to. I replied saying that the manager told me that he was sending the label. The response was that they don't send prepaid labels. FAIL! DialPad lets you try their service for free, test it out, without any equipment rental entanglements. Once we knew that we loved it, we switched to a paid account so that we could initiate the porting process. DialPad ROCKS!

Original review: July 31, 2021

I used OOMA for 9 years and loved it. I purchased a plan for basic lifetime free & the service was good. Meantime use to buy the add-on features by paying extra & Quality was very good. Never had a problem. Due to covid need to move & did not use service & OOMA closed the account without notifying the customer in an email. Now asking to pay for a monthly subscription. Don't fall for their any future promotion of a lifetime plan where you will pay a good amount & OOMA find a reason to push you to the monthly subscription. Don't fall for lifetime promotions. You might get closed automatically some time!

Original review: July 19, 2021

After trying multiple to contact them on the phone (because you cannot cancel in your online account) I eventually made it to a customer service person and after the 3rd time confirming they threw the device away (I bought it used to start with) and the 4th time of them trying tell me about the benefits.. I told them they could cancel my account or I can dispute it on my Credit Card. Response: your account is cancelled.. Click Service was Ok.. Equipment was a pain.. Glad they are gone.

Original review: April 6, 2021

In theory, Ooma seemed like a good idea. I bought the Telo and three HD3 handsets along with the upgraded calling plan - spending $310. That was a mistake. I should have bought just the Telo to test it out first. The first thing I noticed was that the robust robocall prevention that was advertised is not so robust. I still get a lot of calls that should have been blocked - including calls that I blocked myself. Another aggravation is that when I call comes in and I answer hello, there is a significant delay before I have an actual connection. Also the quality of the handset speakerphones leaves something to be desired.

But, worst of all, is that it just stops working. The blue Telo light makes you think that the system is working, but the handsets themselves are dead in the water. I find this out only after getting a voicemail by email. I've missed important calls, and that a problem that the low monthly cost doesn't make up for. Instead of continuing to call support and play with it, I wish I had returned it right away. Now six months later, I guess I'll have to live with it - I can't bring myself to just throw away $310. But I won't renew my upgraded calling plan and eventually I'll just give up on it.

Ooma Telo Company Information