3.3/5 (468 ratings)

About Ooma Telo

Ooma is a standalone device that requires low power, is always on and runs independently of your computer. The only thing you need to install and start using Ooma phone services is a phone line and a high-speed internet connection. It specializes in crystal-clear calling for residential use and VoIP phone services and communication solutions customizable for any size business.

Top Ooma Telo Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I've had my Ooma VOIP service for about four years now and just love it. I've saved a ton of money using Ooma, too… It just doesn't make sense to pay so much for something like th...

Verified

I've been with AT&T for 23 years, it's been nothing but a nightmare… I was telemarketed by a guy name Brandon, he was so kind… The switch over was amazing, they should honestly ha...

What is Ooma?

Ooma sells a standalone device that lets you make phone calls over the internet. No computer is required, but you must have a high-speed internet connection for the company’s free plan.

There are wireless options available, and installation is easy. Most plans include unlimited calling in the U.S., Canada, Mexico and Puerto Rico, low international rates, 911 service and free number transfer.

Ooma plans

Ooma business plans do not require long-term contracts and make it easy to use a separate business line. Calls are clear, and there are more than 35 features available to streamline productivity and improve communication. Some of the most popular business call management features include the mobile app, virtual receptionist, call park, ring groups. music-on-hold and transfer music.

Ooma offers three residential home phone service options, the Ooma Telo, Ooma Telo Air and the Ooma Telo 4G. The company’s home phone solutions let you access free U.S. calling, advanced voice compression, encrypted calls, adaptive redundancy and the ability to access your voicemail all through the Ooma app.

With the Ooma Telo Air and the Ooma Telo, phone service is $0 a month, shipping is free and customers only pay applicable taxes and fees.

Below is a breakdown of Ooma’s most popular plans:

• Ooma Telo: Nationwide calling for free. All you pay are applicable taxes and fees.
  • Ooma Telo Air: Connects through your Wi-Fi, which lets you install the unit anywhere within range without worrying about the wires.
  • Ooma Telo 4G: Wireless phone service with a high-speed 4G LTE connection. Ideal for homes without internet.
  • Ooma Basic: Unlimited, nationwide, crystal-clear calling for free.
  • Ooma Premier: All the features included in Basic service and an additional suite of advanced features, including call blocking and upgraded privacy and mobility options.
  • Ooma Office: Phone system for small businesses. Includes unlimited calling in the U.S. and Canada. Unlimited lines/users with private voicemail.
  • Ooma Office Pro: All of the features included in Ooma office plus call recording, a desktop app and enhanced call blocking.

How much does Ooma cost per month?

There is no monthly contract for basic Ooma phone service. For the most basic plans, you only pay for applicable taxes and fees. The most budget-friendly option is Ooma Premier, which is $9.99 a month at the time of publishing and gives you access to an entire suite of features, including adding a second line and call blocking.

Ooma does offer more advanced internet phone solutions, and some require a monthly fee. As of the time of publishing, the Ooma Telo Air costs $129.99 upfront and $0 a month, and the Ooma Telo is $99.99 upfront with no monthly fees. Business owners can pay $19.95 per month per user for Ooma Office or $24.95 per month per user for Ooma Office Pro. Shipping is free.

For plans that do not have a monthly contract, customers still pay taxes and fees. The taxes depend on your location, and the fees can be broken down into four categories:

• 911 service fee
  • Federal universal service charge
  • State and local taxes, fees and surcharges
  • Regulatory compliance fee

Your monthly taxes and fees are calculated based on the 911 address you have on file.

To save money, some customers purchase refurbished Ooma units. All refurbished units have been preowned, but they have undergone a thorough quality control test to ensure you get the same features and quality as you would with a new unit.

Ooma FAQ

Is there a monthly fee for Ooma?
Basic home phone service with Ooma does not require a monthly contract. Customers do pay applicable taxes and fees.
Is Ooma really free?
There is no monthly fee for the basic home service, but customers do pay taxes and fees. If you want to upgrade your unit, you will pay anywhere between $99 to $129 for the equipment.
Can you keep your phone number with Ooma?
Sometimes. You can check if your current number is compatible with Ooma by entering your info into the website.
What’s the difference between Ooma Basic and Ooma Premier?
Ooma Premier offers all of the same features as Ooma Basic but adds advanced features such as call blocking and adding a second line. Premier also adds upgraded voicemail, privacy and mobility options. Ooma Premier is $9.99 a month, and Ooma Basic is free.

Is Ooma any good?

Yes. If you’re looking for an affordable, versatile VoIP solution. Ooma could be a good choice. The company’s devices have crystal-clear call quality, high-quality hardware, an easy to use mobile app and different plans to meet your needs and your budget. The device is easy to install, set up and use.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ooma Telo?

Original review: July 13, 2022

OOMA has the worst customer service I have ever encountered in the many years I have had to deal with companies offering communication services. We used OOMA’s services for three years while living outside the United States. Whenever we had contact with them it was nearly impossible to get anything done. Now that we have moved back to the USA, we have been on the phone at least 20 times to port the phone number back to a well-known USA carrier.

The customer service personnel are insufferable. They say one things and then they do another. They would tell us to do something. We would do it and still not porting. I was on hold for a total of at least two hours during all these calls while they were “checking something.” I would NEVER, NEVER, NEVER recommend the services of this company to anyone. They are horrible. Nothing with them is straightforward or easy. Here’s what Charlie Brown always used to say when he was totally frustrated. AAARRRGGGHHH!!! I salute you Charlie. I couldn’t have said it better.

Original review: July 11, 2022

This is a warning to potential Ooma users. Don't! Ooma's billing service is a scam. Have tried since 2015 to get them to stop billing with no luck. Went through the process four times. They keep billing on an unused account. Numerous complaints, Navy Federal can do nothing. I cannot close a credit/debit card account I have had for years without changing every single one of my payments, then closing the account. Even when changing the card it does not stop them from billing. Since I have had no luck trying four times, filing disputes, my wife said she would try. She tried today and the scam artist working for their scam billing service strung her along for over an hour and they STILL did not cancel the account.

Be warned, do your due diligence, if you get Ooma and wish to cancel their scam billing service will make you pay forever. Your only recourse will be to close your account so they stop taking money out or you will pay forever. This scam operation has now taken $1,533 out of my account since 2015 that I am unable to stop. DO NOT USE OOMA TELO. It is a VoIP billing scam.

Get buying tips about VoIP Internet Phone Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 7, 2022

Was very happy with Ooma until the storm took out our telo box. Bought a replacement and the nightmare has begun. There is no way to enter your replacement unit online. I used the chat and all they could do after 15 minutes was write up a service ticket. I then called service at the number provided by the chat rep and they were just as useless. Took all my info and said I would get a email in one to two days. Both reps seemed confused as to why I was replacing my original unit. Too bad a real technical rep is not available to take calls. Glad I don't depend upon them for a business line. Wee, I guess you really do get what you pay for.

Original review: July 7, 2022

I have called four times over the last three months to cancel my service. It's always overseas tech support which is horrendous; they spend five minutes trying to sell me on a new service even when I outright tell them to stop. They then tell me the department handling cancellations (which for some reason is different than the customer service number they make you call first), or they make me wait while they get me to the correct department, then put me on hold and hang up on me. I have been scammed, and the criminals refuse to cancel my services. I will file multiple chargebacks and report to the proper federal agencies overseeing telecommunications. There's not a chance I am the only one.

Original review: June 30, 2022

We have been using the basic Ooma Telo since 9 months ago without any problems. Installation and startup was very easy. The sound is crystal, everything works well, the base station recovers on its own after a power failure and we use a cordless phone with 4 handsets. The basic plan for unlimited calls in Canada, USA and Mexico including taxes and all regulatory fees is CAD 5.84 a month. I declined the Premier Plan because I don't need the extra features, but it's good to know they are available. Long distance calls to other countries are very reasonable priced and they also offer subscription packages for lower costs. I also use it occasionally through an Android app, which works well in my Pixel-6 through WiFi or cellular data. The app settings have a choice for Outbound only, Inbound only or both type of calls. All in all, very satisfied.

Original review: June 18, 2022

The voice and sound quality was fair at best. It was very poor when working online at the same time. Google voice is much much better. $22 a month for a phone that really was used to find my husband's misplaced cell phone is too much money. Cancellation requires a phone call to customer service. This call results in a relentless script that tries every trick in the book to convince you not to cancel. Any other service in my recent memory can be cancelled online instead of enduring the agony of a nearly interminable sales pitch to convince me to stay. I have NOT received any confirmation of cancellation as promised, only a confirmation number that I was able to get after multiple requests of the customer service representative.

Original review: June 16, 2022

I have been calling Ooma every day trying to get help with my calls. They keep saying that tier 3 will call me back, but no one calls. I am trying to get ready to leave for vacation and want to take the office with me. I have invested hours of time waiting on hold and still no help. I just want tech support to make this system work. I am trying to post a review on the Ooma website, but it won't let me.

Original review: June 1, 2022

I tried to publish this review on the Ooma site but it won't publish it. The call quality was terrible. Called them multiple times and they could never improve it. We used to be with voipmuch and have now switched back to them. Even trying to cancel Ooma was hard work. I would never recommend them.

Original review: May 2, 2022

Signed up with Ooma two weeks ago. The number was ported within two days and on monday, april 18, I tried to set up. In doing so, I found I cannot use my 800 number to text from. They had another number to use. I have a 504 but they gave me an 865. So a client texts and I text back from another number? That's not unprofessional or sketchy. Jeez. So I left. After being begged to stay at a discounted rate, I convinced them I did not want to pay for anything which didn't work. After being promised a full refund of the $55 I paid to sign up, I immediately went to another company.

I have not been refunded one penny. Instead, Ooma CHARGED ME for a second month. They did this within a WEEK of signing up! First, why are they charging me a week later? I had a month before I should've been charged. Second, where is my refund? Multiple phone calls over two days and many hours on the phone later, I managed to get the second charge refunded. STILL NO REFUND OF INITIAL CHARGE. That's $55. Don't know about you, but that's a serious amount of money to pay a corporation which didn't provide what I needed and has instead cost me six hours dealing with their incompetence and thievery.

Original review: April 4, 2022

Horrible auto-recovery. If you have a power outage, the device will not auto-recover. No amount of rebooting will fix the modem. Chat support is not the support you want, it will take you 20 minutes until they tell you that you need to call for support. Just use the call in support number. This will take you to a person who will write down your information to have someone else call you back at their convenience to assist you in bringing up their device.

Ooma Telo Company Information