1.23/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

100 Ooma Telo Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

I called to cancel three accounts in March of 2018. After a long phone conversation I received emails stating that they knew I wanted to cancel but they were only putting my accounts on hold until I transferred the numbers. 4 months later they started charging me again. I called again in August and told them to cancel that I no longer had the equipment and was not going to transfer. They agreed to cancel but again only put the lines on hold as I discovered in the emails that were sent again. I called again and they did refund my money but not without my escalating the call and demanding a supervisor. Now here we are Jan 2019 and I was charged again. This time I disputed the charge with my credit card company.

They were informed by Ooma that I had an account. They had every right to charge me. I called them again and they said they would refund the money and cancel the account. I just received a letter from my credit card company saying that they reversed my credit as Ooma had proven I had an account and as I look up my bill today they have charged me again for Feb. 2019. This is the most dishonest company I have ever worked with. DO NOT BUY THEIR EQUIPMENT OR USE THEIR SERVICE. YOU WILL NEVER BE ABLE TO CANCEL. Many of the other reviews state the same.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

In October of 2018 I requested that my account be closed and my number ported over to my new telephone service provider. Despite this, it took forever for them to port my existing home number and now I find that they continue to charge me. Note to existing OOMA customers, if OOMA ever offers you a "free" second phone number... DON'T TAKE IT! I did this and even though I never used it and had disconnected all OOMA equipment, OOMA continued to charge me $16.46/mo for service I did not want or receive. So far I am out $16.46x3=$49.38 and counting. THIS COMPANY USES VERY DECEPTIVE TACTICS TO KEEP CHARGING YOU... AND GOOD LUCK EVEN TRYING TO GET IN TOUCH WITH THEM. I would NEVER do business with them again.

Get expert buying tips about Home Phone Service delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

Have called over 6 times to cancel account. Keep getting told supervisor is not available. Once I finally visited with a supervisor, the account still was not cancelled. Four months later still charging my credit card. Poor company with poor corporate values.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

Cancelled my Ooma in July. They continued to bill through Jan of the next year. When I called to ask for a refund, they refused stating company policy. "Supervisor" was just as useless. Terrible customer service. Do not use this service.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

Like most of the reviewers before me on this site, I was charged for Ooma phone service for months after I cancelled it. When I tried to access my account on their website, it said my account was cancelled. When I spoke with their customer service, they refused to refund any of the payments. Do not use this phone service.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ooma Telo?

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

I had to cancel an account that I had canceled over three years ago. Ooma continued to charge me $4.69 each month after I had canceled my account. They even have the reference number for the cancellation when I called in. They refused to refund their charges. I have no way to tell if they have actually cancelled the account this time.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

Today I had to cancel an account that I had canceled over two years ago. Ooma continued to charge me after I had canceled my account. They refused to refund their overcharges. After a long time on the phone, they gave me two months out of the twenty four months that they had overcharged me. I am beyond frustrated, disappointed and aggravated by the experience and their customer service. I only hope they actually canceled my account this time.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

I just hang up with the customer care supervisor with Indian Accent English who spoke very good English. He and other reps told me that they are not going to refund even if they could see I contacted them to have canceled the subscriptions for 1 year 6 months ago. I tried to cancel the subscription. The guy in CA picked up and obviously just woke up and the dog was background sounds. And he hangs up in the middle of cancellation and went to voice messages since then. I emailed to contact them. First, oh, sorry. We will contact you later after we find out more. They never answered by phones or emails.

Throughout the year, the supervisor saw my email records to ask "cancellation" and refund. But he said because the company did not reply so I am still liable to pay all of the fees I replaced my Barclay credit card twice by credit card company's advice. They still found a way to charge it. Other companies with recurring payments, they all refunded after they saw my non-activities of their subscriptions. Skype, History Vault both apologized for the inconvenience.

So I am very careful to use the credit card company as well. They are not the consumer's side. They make customers deal with the merchant and the transactions. Ooma kept saying, "Ooma reps are not allowed to reverse any charges. and period. If you want to suit or write the complaint due to the company policy. You have rights to write complain and do whatever you like to do." I would like to warn you about Ooma. I believe that Ooma is the worst company overall. Because the service disconnected even with the Ooma specific phone with modem inside of the phone and kept charging the fees over 1.5 years and it has been longer than 2 years since I stopped using the company.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

Bottom of the barrel in customer service. You will spend an extraordinary and frustrating time in the Philippines accomplishing NOTHING. In my experience, even at Level 3 tech support many are simply reading from a database and have NO product knowledge. Two agents have given me diametrically opposed answers to the same question/problem. Bottom line, still no solution and the home security geofencing Does Not Work. Ooma has been around long enough to fix their low level customer service but a search will show they have thousands of complaints mostly for poor customer service and billing issues.

New Note: After speaking with their headquarters in California, Roy ** in management is as useless as tech support. He sets the bar quite low. He will offer lip service but no real help. He won't take the time to get you the help you need and couldn't care less if the product works or not. After the first contact, which took four messages, Mr. ** refuses to return calls because he has no remedy or concern. Do yourself a favor. Select another company for Home Security. This company can not be trusted with your security!

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

Hello everyone, I would like to share an experience with you. I live in Canada and I bought an Ooma Telo from a Canadian person who was working in The United States and he bought an Ooma Telo from there so he can call his family in Canada. After two he returned back to Canada and he posted his Ooma Telo device for sale. I bought it from him and when I wanted to transfer the ownership of the device they told, "You to have to have an address in the United States because it cannot be activated with a Canadian address." Which means that I will have an American phone number and I cannot get a Canadian one.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2018

Customer service has gone way down. Equipment has issues it never used to have. I am reading they keep billing you after you cancel your account. FILE AN ONLINE COMPLAINT WITH FTC ABOUT THIS! That will stop it.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

I'm a small business owner. Initially, I spoke with a sales rep. and they tried to sell me on various packages. At first I was interested and after giving them my information (including my credit card information) they said they would send me an email if I wanted to activate my account. The number of emails you receive is so annoying, they didn't ever send any equipment, their emails rarely have a customer service number on them. Immediately I knew I didn't want this service. The rep said that if I didn't activate it I wouldn't be charged. I noticed a couple months later I was being charged. I sent an email with no response from anyone at Ooma. I called and they said they would cancel it. Months later I again noticed they are charging me again. They have now charged my account for the last year.

I just called today to cancel and the rep didn't provide an apology or offer a refund. I was offered a confirmation number this time. I only hope it is accurate. If it happens again I'll make sure to email their investors, call the 5 o'clock news and file a police report. Actually, I still might do it. They basically stole $239.88 from me. WARNING -- do not believe what the sales rep says to you and do not give them your credit card!

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

I have been trying to cancel this account for two years now. They run you in one big circle and keep charging you. Run. Do not use this service. They will always tell you that they have cancelled it and then all of a sudden you are getting charged for it again. When you talk to them they keep trying to stop you from cancelling and then they tell you they have cancelled it and charge you again.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

We tried this phone system for our business. It is an OK service at premium rate, some features like fax service do not work 100%. Canceled with them and moved somewhere else. They kept charging after the cancellation, several calls to make it stop, still trying to get this resolved.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

Tried to set up OOMA service for my biz. Could not get the equipment to roll the calls in the order I needed. Canceled service last Dec. Still fighting OOMA. They are still charging my credit card. Terrible customer service. I would NEVER recommend this company to anyone. If you decide to cancel good luck getting them to stop charging your cc. I rate them NO stars. Would never use them again for anything!

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

The phone line was fine when things were working ok. I did have to reset frequently. The real problem came when trying to cancel. It took several online chats and phone calls to cancel. I then realized months and months later that they were still charging $6.63 per month on my credit card. I called again on a weekend, reached someone in an overseas call center who said that I needed to call back during regular business hours to cancel and get a refund.

I called back and was told by the first customer service rep that there was no record of my previous cancellation attempts and that all I could receive was the current month refund. I asked for a supervisor and got Rolly ** employee #** in the Philippines this time. He reviewed their records and told me the same thing, that there was no record of cancellation and he could do no more. Stay away from this company! Do NOT let them automatically charge your service if you do sign up. Buyer beware!

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

I had OOMA for home phone service for years, and I was happy with the service at first. The call quality got bad and my bill kept going up. Later when I call to cancel service, it took 15 minutes of the woman (Iza) being rude before she finally let me cancel the service after I insisted I had no need and was under stress with a sick family member. She even kept trying to get me to sell the equipment. She owed me a refund, and never helped me either. They charged me an extra month. The company seemed to start out great, but it has gone down in call quality and customer service. For $5 more a month, I have home phone service with Comcast and it is much better. Beware with this company.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

The service was good while we used it. Once we decided to cancel and move to another service provider is when our issues began. They would not stop their direct debit charges. We didn’t notice this was going on and they refused to credit us for the unused service. Whatever you do, don’t allow direct withdrawal. Pay only through your bank.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

When I purchased my Ooma nine years ago, it cost me $225 at Best Buy. To date, Sept 2018, I've saved $4411 if my AT&T service cost had remained $40/month during that period. I am writing this review just to counter the poor reviews that I just read on this site. I have been a VoIP user for over 10 years and have bought and recommended various manufacturers and from just the simple quality of telephone service (clarity of the communications) and reliability (up time and repairs) Ooma has been excellent.

I read the complaints about how they handle shipping, or how they handle credit cards, and I think that misses the point. I understand that those things reflect on the "business" reputation, but they have nothing to do with the excellence of the product or service. The problems with the shipping and the credit cards will work themselves out and at the end of the day, the product is worth the aggravation.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

Ordered Ooma on 8/31/18. My credit card was charged that day. I was told I would have the product in 3-5 business days. Twelve days later, no product, no email. I called September 12th and was told order had not been processed. I canceled the order and it was verified by email, Hours later, another email comes with UPS tracking number for product. I call back, ask for them to handle it and refund my money. September 18th arrives and no refund. Another email telling me product is arriving today. I call again. Refund had not been processed. Now, I am told another 3-5 business days for refund. Don’t know how they’ll handle UPS. Although, I have left notice on front door to not leave package. During the hour plus that I spent on phone calls, I was disconnected by a supervisor. This company is awful. One hand doesn’t know what the other is doing. I thank God that I am not, and never will be an Ooma customer!

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

Have an auto payment set up. It's worked for years. Now over the last 3 months they can't seem to charge my card correctly or on time. I had to call my bank several times because my card was declined because I can "only receive refunds on this card". I even had them talk to my bank on 3 way and my bank said the error message Ooma is getting is on their part not my bank's. My bank said they haven't even received a charge request from Ooma. But yet Ooma tells me to call my bank again. Wth kind of company is this. I guess I should cancel while I still can't since they can't charge my card anyway.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

Switched to Ooma to give them a try because Frontier's connection in my area was full of static. Found out we haven't received voicemails for more than 3 weeks because of a glitch on Ooma's side. Called CS and spoke to tier 1, 2, and 3 techs and none could help resolve the issue of where my past voicemails from customers are at. I would have rather dealt with static than lose business. Asked to have last two months refunded to compensate and tier 3 tech assured I will be getting my money back. Lost hundreds of dollars in orders and all I got was promised was $74 and "you did something on your end". What a crap excuse from a company. Read a bunch of reviews and it seems like this company is as dishonest as I am anticipating. If you're having trouble with their charges, file a chargeback with your bank! If I don't see my two months of reimbursement, I'm going to file a dispute with my bank to get my money back.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

They will charge porting fee if you like to keep your number when no other provider like Rogers, Bell etc does in Ontario. Even you get VOIP service from them and they have charged me $39.99 and when I called for refund they have said they have to pay my previous provider for porting my number over to Ooma and now I have received my final bill from my previous provider and where they have charge me $14.99 + Taxes for the porting out charges. So they are clearing lying to their customer and beware of this scam because you might end up paying the same amount if you stay with loyal company and get honest service than cheaper.

Original review: July 11, 2018

Their phone service is pathetic, especially calling internationally it is so horrible. Gets disconnected every 3 mins either using home phone or through cell phone. I called their customer service and they give stupid explanation and if you tell, "I want to cancel the service," they will say, "No problem. We will cancel it now." I called them few times and let them know about issues but failed to resolve it. Finally, canceled it. Better to call from WhatsApp or Skype. It's free. If want to call international don't go for this stupid phone service.

Original review: July 6, 2018

When I tried to cancel my Ooma phone service, the person tried to persuade me to sell my device on eBay, basically asking me to find a new customer for them. Strange. When I received an email confirming my "cancellation", I noticed the following line in that email: "If the new customer has not activated their Ooma service using this reference number by **, you will need to call Ooma Customer Service at 888-711-6662 to obtain an extension or to cancel your service, otherwise the charges to your account will resume." So I would continue to be charged if I didn't either find a replacement customer for myself or called AGAIN to cancel in two months. Sneaky. I called to complain and supposedly my account is now truly canceled, but at this point I can't yet know that will happen. I no longer have a need for Ooma's phone service, but I will also be avoiding other services offered by this company.

Original review: July 3, 2018

I have been with these guys for over, 5 years and ever 3 months I am in. Dispute with their billing department because they keep changing my monthly plan. For this reason. I do not use their automatic bill pay because they keep changing the amount per month. I am very unhappy.

Original review: June 24, 2018

Once you subscribe to the Ooma Office, there is no easy way to unsubscribe. Called an agent for help but they she (Angeline) was trying to sell another service & finally told that she's unable. Terrible!

Original review: June 14, 2018

Pretty good VOIP service and features, but app is weak. I have had OOMA premium service with 4 number for a few years. One of the reasons I selected OOMA was because their mobile app allows you to place and answer calls from their mobile app as if you were at your home or desk. I immediately found out that when you use the mobile app it will only make calls from the main number, even though I have 4 numbers, I cannot make a call from any of them except the main number. This is a major shortcoming. I have seen many request a resolution to this over the years. I have reported it myself a few years ago. They ignore the requests and never make improvements. For this reason I can't recommend them and will be looking for a better solution.

Original review: June 1, 2018

The company did not cancel my acct. Took back the equipment but never credited my account. I canceled my service in December and they kept charging my acct, and when I called they kept saying it was cancel while charging me.

Original review: May 29, 2018

Here is the quick good and bad with Ooma Telo. Service is good, device is relatively inexpensive and easy to activate, is as reliable as your internet service and your monthly cost is low. Bad...Cancelation is next to impossible. Customer service is aggressive and will not quickly cancel without asking you why multiple times. In addition they continued to take out the monthly charge from my account even after I canceled. When I called to get it rectified they did reluctantly reimburse only after I said I would contact my attorney. Unless you plan on keeping the Ooma Telo long term I would look for another VOIP service where customer service is easier to work with.

Ooma Telo expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Ooma Telo devices provide VoIP calling for free. Customers connect the Ooma device to their Internet line and to their preferred handset. The device sends voice calls over the Internet for free; for domestic calls, consumers only pay the applicable taxes and fees. Ooma devices are available online and at several major retailers.

• Extra features: All Ooma accounts come with caller ID, voicemail, call waiting, an online call log and more. For an additional monthly fee, customers get a second line, free calling to Canada and Puerto Rice, three-way calling and other premium features.

• Ooma-to-Ooma calling: Ooma users can use their Ooma connected phone to call any other Ooma line for free, even if the users are in different countries.

• International calling: Customers can place international calls for as little as 1.4 cents per minute. Those who prefer to know exactly how much their bill will be each month can subscribe to Ooma’s World Plan, which allows customers to place unlimited calls to 60 countries for a consistent monthly charge.

• Smart home connectivity: Ooma can connect to Nest thermostats to automatically forward calls when the thermostat is set to away. It can also send notifications to Android and Apple devices when someone calls the Ooma line so they will know who’s calling when they’re away from the house.

• Accessories: Ooma sells several accessories so consumers can customize their system. Options include adapters to make the unit wireless, wearable handsets for safety and Bluetooth connectors to sync Oomas to cellular phones.

• Best for: Ooma is best for individuals who want a low monthly rate and have an existing Internet provider.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs
ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Ooma Telo Company Information

www.ooma.com
Your special offer awaits

Looking to save time and money? Join our community today! Community members receive important consumer news alerts and enjoy perks like discounts and special offers from brands they love. Ready to join?

Sign up now with your email address!

Join our community to recieve important consumer news and enjoy perks like discounts and special offers from brands you love.