1.54/5

86 Ooma Telo Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

Tried to set up OOMA service for my biz. Could not get the equipment to roll the calls in the order I needed. Canceled service last Dec. Still fighting OOMA. They are still charging my credit card. Terrible customer service. I would NEVER recommend this company to anyone. If you decide to cancel good luck getting them to stop charging your cc. I rate them NO stars. Would never use them again for anything!

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

The phone line was fine when things were working ok. I did have to reset frequently. The real problem came when trying to cancel. It took several online chats and phone calls to cancel. I then realized months and months later that they were still charging $6.63 per month on my credit card. I called again on a weekend, reached someone in an overseas call center who said that I needed to call back during regular business hours to cancel and get a refund.

I called back and was told by the first customer service rep that there was no record of my previous cancellation attempts and that all I could receive was the current month refund. I asked for a supervisor and got Rolly ** employee #** in the Philippines this time. He reviewed their records and told me the same thing, that there was no record of cancellation and he could do no more. Stay away from this company! Do NOT let them automatically charge your service if you do sign up. Buyer beware!

Get expert buying tips about Home Phone Service delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

I had OOMA for home phone service for years, and I was happy with the service at first. The call quality got bad and my bill kept going up. Later when I call to cancel service, it took 15 minutes of the woman (Iza) being rude before she finally let me cancel the service after I insisted I had no need and was under stress with a sick family member. She even kept trying to get me to sell the equipment. She owed me a refund, and never helped me either. They charged me an extra month. The company seemed to start out great, but it has gone down in call quality and customer service. For $5 more a month, I have home phone service with Comcast and it is much better. Beware with this company.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

The service was good while we used it. Once we decided to cancel and move to another service provider is when our issues began. They would not stop their direct debit charges. We didn’t notice this was going on and they refused to credit us for the unused service. Whatever you do, don’t allow direct withdrawal. Pay only through your bank.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

When I purchased my Ooma nine years ago, it cost me $225 at Best Buy. To date, Sept 2018, I've saved $4411 if my AT&T service cost had remained $40/month during that period. I am writing this review just to counter the poor reviews that I just read on this site. I have been a VoIP user for over 10 years and have bought and recommended various manufacturers and from just the simple quality of telephone service (clarity of the communications) and reliability (up time and repairs) Ooma has been excellent.

I read the complaints about how they handle shipping, or how they handle credit cards, and I think that misses the point. I understand that those things reflect on the "business" reputation, but they have nothing to do with the excellence of the product or service. The problems with the shipping and the credit cards will work themselves out and at the end of the day, the product is worth the aggravation.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ooma Telo?

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

Ordered Ooma on 8/31/18. My credit card was charged that day. I was told I would have the product in 3-5 business days. Twelve days later, no product, no email. I called September 12th and was told order had not been processed. I canceled the order and it was verified by email, Hours later, another email comes with UPS tracking number for product. I call back, ask for them to handle it and refund my money. September 18th arrives and no refund. Another email telling me product is arriving today. I call again. Refund had not been processed. Now, I am told another 3-5 business days for refund. Don’t know how they’ll handle UPS. Although, I have left notice on front door to not leave package. During the hour plus that I spent on phone calls, I was disconnected by a supervisor. This company is awful. One hand doesn’t know what the other is doing. I thank God that I am not, and never will be an Ooma customer!

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

Have an auto payment set up. It's worked for years. Now over the last 3 months they can't seem to charge my card correctly or on time. I had to call my bank several times because my card was declined because I can "only receive refunds on this card". I even had them talk to my bank on 3 way and my bank said the error message Ooma is getting is on their part not my bank's. My bank said they haven't even received a charge request from Ooma. But yet Ooma tells me to call my bank again. Wth kind of company is this. I guess I should cancel while I still can't since they can't charge my card anyway.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

Switched to Ooma to give them a try because Frontier's connection in my area was full of static. Found out we haven't received voicemails for more than 3 weeks because of a glitch on Ooma's side. Called CS and spoke to tier 1, 2, and 3 techs and none could help resolve the issue of where my past voicemails from customers are at. I would have rather dealt with static than lose business. Asked to have last two months refunded to compensate and tier 3 tech assured I will be getting my money back. Lost hundreds of dollars in orders and all I got was promised was $74 and "you did something on your end". What a crap excuse from a company. Read a bunch of reviews and it seems like this company is as dishonest as I am anticipating. If you're having trouble with their charges, file a chargeback with your bank! If I don't see my two months of reimbursement, I'm going to file a dispute with my bank to get my money back.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

They will charge porting fee if you like to keep your number when no other provider like Rogers, Bell etc does in Ontario. Even you get VOIP service from them and they have charged me $39.99 and when I called for refund they have said they have to pay my previous provider for porting my number over to Ooma and now I have received my final bill from my previous provider and where they have charge me $14.99 + Taxes for the porting out charges. So they are clearing lying to their customer and beware of this scam because you might end up paying the same amount if you stay with loyal company and get honest service than cheaper.

Original review: July 11, 2018

Their phone service is pathetic, especially calling internationally it is so horrible. Gets disconnected every 3 mins either using home phone or through cell phone. I called their customer service and they give stupid explanation and if you tell, "I want to cancel the service," they will say, "No problem. We will cancel it now." I called them few times and let them know about issues but failed to resolve it. Finally, canceled it. Better to call from WhatsApp or Skype. It's free. If want to call international don't go for this stupid phone service.

Original review: July 6, 2018

When I tried to cancel my Ooma phone service, the person tried to persuade me to sell my device on eBay, basically asking me to find a new customer for them. Strange. When I received an email confirming my "cancellation", I noticed the following line in that email: "If the new customer has not activated their Ooma service using this reference number by **, you will need to call Ooma Customer Service at 888-711-6662 to obtain an extension or to cancel your service, otherwise the charges to your account will resume." So I would continue to be charged if I didn't either find a replacement customer for myself or called AGAIN to cancel in two months. Sneaky. I called to complain and supposedly my account is now truly canceled, but at this point I can't yet know that will happen. I no longer have a need for Ooma's phone service, but I will also be avoiding other services offered by this company.

Original review: July 3, 2018

I have been with these guys for over, 5 years and ever 3 months I am in. Dispute with their billing department because they keep changing my monthly plan. For this reason. I do not use their automatic bill pay because they keep changing the amount per month. I am very unhappy.

Original review: June 24, 2018

Once you subscribe to the Ooma Office, there is no easy way to unsubscribe. Called an agent for help but they she (Angeline) was trying to sell another service & finally told that she's unable. Terrible!

Original review: June 14, 2018

Pretty good VOIP service and features, but app is weak. I have had OOMA premium service with 4 number for a few years. One of the reasons I selected OOMA was because their mobile app allows you to place and answer calls from their mobile app as if you were at your home or desk. I immediately found out that when you use the mobile app it will only make calls from the main number, even though I have 4 numbers, I cannot make a call from any of them except the main number. This is a major shortcoming. I have seen many request a resolution to this over the years. I have reported it myself a few years ago. They ignore the requests and never make improvements. For this reason I can't recommend them and will be looking for a better solution.

Original review: June 1, 2018

The company did not cancel my acct. Took back the equipment but never credited my account. I canceled my service in December and they kept charging my acct, and when I called they kept saying it was cancel while charging me.

Original review: May 29, 2018

Here is the quick good and bad with Ooma Telo. Service is good, device is relatively inexpensive and easy to activate, is as reliable as your internet service and your monthly cost is low. Bad...Cancelation is next to impossible. Customer service is aggressive and will not quickly cancel without asking you why multiple times. In addition they continued to take out the monthly charge from my account even after I canceled. When I called to get it rectified they did reluctantly reimburse only after I said I would contact my attorney. Unless you plan on keeping the Ooma Telo long term I would look for another VOIP service where customer service is easier to work with.

Original review: May 24, 2018

I started with Ooma in 2015, bought the Telo device at Costco, activated it all right, did my dues with Bell porting the number. Bell was going crazy with its prices, I only had local calls with them and they had increased tariffs to 35$/month, so Ooma seemed like a good option, they advertise 5$/month. All seemed OK, but to start you up, they offer a year of free Premium service, which includes a second number, call display... the works. After a second year, I realized that I do not really need Premium, that was another hundred and such plus taxes, so added up it amounted to some 20$ plus per month, which starts to look like Bell. So I cancelled Premium, took quite a bit of chatting with some online automatons, eventually I had it removed. And there it all broke down.

The Ooma Telo box started to go offline. Intermittently. The app on the iPhone was still working OK, that was actually the ridiculous part of it, I was talking with support through THEIR equipment, and they were telling me that MY equipment was not working. Ran some traces, there were sockets (TCP links) established by the Telo with some time servers, and a link to Palo Alto, where probably most of their equipment is found. I had some material to talk about, once linked to the techs.

Support though... gets you straight to India. Not that I have a problem with Indians, but these guys... looked like they expressly chose the most arrogant, disrespectful and incompetent people they could find. All they could talk about was lights on the Ethernet ports, they would not believe you doing all the tests and insist on following a procedure made for dummies. By sheer luck I found a Lady Indian that had enough respect to listen, and eventually escalated the ticket to California, so that I could talk to a tech in Palo Alto.

A nice guy, he seemed really ready to help, but troubleshooting? Forget it. I even proposed we Team Viewer together, so that he could see what the equipment was doing. No dice. He proposed a second courtesy Telo box, which he did send, I received it some week later. Unfortunately, not much change came from that. I kept on telling them during all that, that the account was the issue, that some settings on some database are wrong, after the account "transformation" and that somebody needed to look into that.

No dice, new box was the best I could get from them. But no phone service. And there I am, a year or so, later, with a "Ooma voicemail service" that I pay 5 bucks a month. The iPhone app broke down quite a bit, as a bonus, still works, but it drops me, sometimes in the middle of a call. Displays like... server disconnected, Unauthorized user. So I was authorized to start the call, but got de-authorized while talking. :-) If that is not an account issue, I don't know what it is.

Trouble is... their support is geared, probably, for people that pay Premium. Their adds "as little as 5$" are really... mostly a lie. Anything goes wrong, you are dead in the water. So there... I said my trouble, hope it helps whomever needs to see this. If you want to save, but you are really bound to this low budget, think twice before heading towards Ooma.

Original review: May 2, 2018

I bought the Ooma instrument and service in 2015 and used it until March 23rd 2018. Called the customer service to cancel my service On March 23rd 2018. Customer service representative Mrs. **, gave me the idea to sell the instrument in Best Buy or Craigslist. Also gave me the transfer code valid for 2 months, since I was moving out of country. Didn’t have time to do it. She never mentioned I have to call them again to cancel. They started to charge my credit card every month, noticed after 5 months, called the credit card company and complained about their charge. Also called Ooma, they said they will take care and "You are set, will refund." Again started to charge.

Noticed after 7 months, called on May 1st 2018, it was a long call for more than an hour, the guy Mr. **, talked to me is justifying what they did is all right according to the agreement. The worst part is he is telling me I called only one time. This is totally FRAUDULENT. Company gets auto-pay agreement and takes customers money without authorization from customers. They took more than 300$ from me without any service. Please don’t get any service from them- you will get screwed up. These kind of companies should be sued, I cannot give any star for this Ooma Telo. FRAUDULENT AH.

Original review: April 30, 2018

I've Ooma from the beginning 6 years now and yes they have problems at the early days. Today much it much better service. Pro: Prices are very affordable, good hardware, overall product is 4 out of 5. Con: The has no way to automate, it's done through your credit card, 1 level support is not good, 2nd is much more professional. Ooma need to do work on customer service interaction, provide the full customer experience.

Original review: April 29, 2018

Worked great for voice when I first got it five years ago. Lately though, I’ve been getting occasional reverb on voice calls. Faxing has always been an issue and has gotten worse over time. Basically, you can fax as long as what you’re faxing doesn’t have a lot of print. Customer service is worthless. When I had trouble faxing, they had me fax a sheet of paper with one word on it. When they received the fax, they said my problem was solved. When I told them I’m not able to fax anything with more print and that only faxed because it had little print on it, they still marked my problem as resolved and ended the phone call. They asked, “Have I resolved your issue?”, and I said “Well, no!” and chuckled.

Original review: March 21, 2018

I have had an Ooma system for 2 years. It works great. If you have the premium account with Ooma they charge you their fee once per yr on your setup anniversary. The problem I have with them is this: They do not send you an update e-mail telling you the anniversary date is getting close. These are automatic renewals so they a charged to your checking or credit card account you set up. I have no problem with the fee or charge, but they DO NOT send you a reminder. For those of us on Social Security or fixed incomes we have to manage our account to cover our bills each month. My complaint is I contacted Ooma and asked why I did not get a reminder the bill was due. They said, "We don't send out reminders," and then disconnected the chat.

I have read about their customer service, but now I see what is said about them is true. Too bad because this is a good system and saves a lot of money on telephone service. I have no order number or receipt because this is a system I have used for 3 years. I fortunately have had enough money in my account at the time they pull the payment. Trying to keep track of the renewal date is one thing, but Ooma could easily send a reminder. Customer service is terrible.

Original review: March 12, 2018

I discontinued my Ooma service and ported to Verizon nearly two years ago. They continued to charge me for over a year. After I complained to my bank and blocked them from my checking account, they tried to charge a debit card. Luckily that card had expired. Now they are sending emails and calling to try to collect because they can't charge the card. Incompetent and dishonest. Will never use or recommend Ooma to anyone ever.

Original review: March 4, 2018

I have been with OOMA since they first came around. I was ecstatic when they offered lifetime premier and jumped on the offer. I have to say it was the best thing I ever did. I never want to see a Verizon or Optimum telephone bill again & thanks to OOMA I won't have to. Yes, OOMA could do better with getting customer service representatives from America so they actually understand English... but hey every company is outsourcing so you can't just blame OOMA for that.

Original review: March 3, 2018

I've been trying to cancel a non-existent account with these guys since September of last year. Every month, on the phone with inadequate staff who obviously can't do the job they were apparently hired for. Been trying to stop them from charging my bank account for services never established. Took them six months to finally email me return labels for equipment that's just been sitting around my restaurant. Then when I finally get the equipment returned, they try to tell me I took too long to return the items. Hello, maybe off they'd sent the labels immediately, they'd have their equipment back sooner. Stay away from these idiots! Best advice I can offer!

Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

Called and cancelled June 2017. They tried to get me to stay-told them clearly I do not use it and do NOT want any more charges. They said the "account" would "remain active" for 60 days in case I wanted to sell and transfer it but assured me no cost to me. Today discovered they have continued charging me monthly (thru Feb 2018). Called and again they tried to pressure me into "keeping the account open" and that's why I have the monthly charges -- and if I want to sell it this is needed. It's worth about $10 and the monthly charge is $5.**- LOL. I repeatedly said," No, do NOT want more charges, do NOT want open account. CANCEL as per my request last June."

They are very hard sell - "she asks where is the Ooma" - doesn't matter if it's in a closet or the trash does it?? It's mine. I don't have to report in! Just stop charging me! Refused refund for all the months they have charged (said I was supposed to "call back again two months later" - what? I have to call repeatedly to get this cancelled?). Well, I think my credit card can cancel it!! And can refund me. Asks me at end of call if I'm satisfied with assistance today. Are you kidding??? Where is the Ooma -- well, you can guess where it is now!! My complaint will be filed with credit card company today.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

I called to cancel my services in September and their agent told me I can sell my equipment on eBay, yet they continued charging me services for October, November, and December. When I called back in, they lied and said they never got my cancellation call. BEWARE of their stalling and scamming practices to continue charging for services they no longer tender. Worse company ever, do not use them!!!

Original review: Jan. 17, 2018

I purchased the service and used it for a few months. We decided we did not need the service anymore and cancelled it August 2017, they withdrew from my account September, I again attempted to cancel only to be pitched about their service. Needless to say this went on through November where they withdrew from my account twice. I changed debit cards and didn't receive a charge in December. They withdrew from my account again yesterday. My bank stated that it is not a recurring charge so it is difficult to cancel. Do not use this company, they are a total nightmare, scam.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2018

OOMA techs took my Telo number and put it on my friend's login information. His address, town, phone number is different to mine... But he is also OOMA's customer for many years now recovering from the effects of a stroke including cognitive, speech, physical, hearing loss etc. Thus causing him to make some bad financial decisions. Since OOMA advertise that a customer can log into their account, delete, block unwanted callers we asked to allow us to log into his account. Nevertheless, OOMA is unwilling/unable to do so.

Months, weeks, days, hours of communication with OOMA... still unable to log in. I explained the problem in ENGLISH but OOMA thinks it is a joke, This, is Elder Abuse, Deceptive advertisement stating that a person can log into his/her account. Thus, reported to the FTC after my several attempts to resolve. Am also a senior with disabilities who feel that America must monitor businesses from overseas doing business in America. Never had a problem with ATT, Sprint.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

Am writing on behalf of Mr. Robert ** aged 84 OOMA CUSTOMER for over 2 years who is unfamiliar with a computer usage but willing to follow steps provided. Also, an OOma customer who is experiencing great difficulty in communicating to OOma about both Mr. ** as well as my unable to log in as OOma has put another person's account on each of us at separate addresses.

Since Mr. ** had a stroke he needs to block numerous annoying telemarketer who try to sell him braces by calling several times daily. Thus, blocking his needed family, therapy appointment visits + am asking the Federal government to look into this matter. I.e. OOma gives us temporary logins... but this other person's phone cannot be removed/deleted for our log in information. We each have Premium OOma, payments are deducted electronically from Mr. ** bank account per his request. Meanwhile, telemarketers refuse to give us their phone numbers and continue to bombard us trying to sell back braces, pain relief, internet money making schemes. Personally, since Mr. ** has great hearing loss he gives out his credit card information. Thus, I have presented/accompanied him to his bank to fill out forms to recoup his finances as they refuse to refund his money within 3 business days, stop calling.

Also, as his documented Power of Attorney am speaking on his behalf legally as well as my own experiences with my own account. Since these telemarketers seem to be calling from overseas with foreign Asian accents this is Medical Fraud. Ooma seems unqualified/ unwilling to resolve the log in problem. Also is located in the Philippines thereabout. Time the United States government investigate the reason the both Mr. ** and my separate accounts are linked to another person's. Also, why OOma techs will not/cannot remove this account from our 2 separate account with different addresses, names, log-in information. This seems like Fraud.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2018

I have had Ooma for a couple of years, but decided to cancel the service. That experience with Ooma was horrendous! I was transferred then dropped twice before finally talking to someone in the Philippines who read off a script. After going through that process, the operator told me she couldn't cancel my service! I was going to have to wait 24 to 48 hours until someone else from Ooma would call me back. I'll finish this review once I've heard back from Ooma, but this is ridiculous!

Ooma Telo expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Ooma Telo devices provide VoIP calling for free. Customers connect the Ooma device to their Internet line and to their preferred handset. The device sends voice calls over the Internet for free; for domestic calls, consumers only pay the applicable taxes and fees. Ooma devices are available online and at several major retailers.

• Extra features: All Ooma accounts come with caller ID, voicemail, call waiting, an online call log and more. For an additional monthly fee, customers get a second line, free calling to Canada and Puerto Rice, three-way calling and other premium features.

• Ooma-to-Ooma calling: Ooma users can use their Ooma connected phone to call any other Ooma line for free, even if the users are in different countries.

• International calling: Customers can place international calls for as little as 1.4 cents per minute. Those who prefer to know exactly how much their bill will be each month can subscribe to Ooma’s World Plan, which allows customers to place unlimited calls to 60 countries for a consistent monthly charge.

• Smart home connectivity: Ooma can connect to Nest thermostats to automatically forward calls when the thermostat is set to away. It can also send notifications to Android and Apple devices when someone calls the Ooma line so they will know who’s calling when they’re away from the house.

• Accessories: Ooma sells several accessories so consumers can customize their system. Options include adapters to make the unit wireless, wearable handsets for safety and Bluetooth connectors to sync Oomas to cellular phones.

• Best for: Ooma is best for individuals who want a low monthly rate and have an existing Internet provider.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs