3.08/5

119 Ooma Telo Consumer Reviews

Original review: Aug. 1, 2019

Billing problem and had a non-American that only wanted to argue and not solve the problem. My first time that I hung up and a CSR but this guy was hard headed and marginal English. I had to go the credit card company and dispute Ooma charges.

Original review: July 27, 2019

Please stay away from this company, it constantly charges me over and over again. The annual premier I've been charged 3-different amounts in under a Year. 144.92 on 11-02-18, then 129.31 on 5-16-19 then 134.15 on 7-26-19. I finally reported my card stolen by Ooma. We never even wanted Premier. We don't use anything but one phone to make like 3 calls a week. But didn't wanna deal with poor CS to get premier off. But charging us for Annual premier 3-times in under a year is crazy and gone to far.

Get expert buying tips about Home Phone Service delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 24, 2019

I switched to OOMA office and the salesman said they will not port my numbers from Charter until the equipment is working. But after 1 day my phone line were dead, I called Charter and I stopped the porting over to them and got my lines back after 1 day without any phone in the office. My salesman's name is Terry **, beware of the lies. He told me the transition will be smooth without any interruption, but when I talked to OOMA today they said that is not true and they try to make it as smooth as possible. Do not use them for office if you don't want to lose phone service for few days. I should have checked this site before signing with them, I see others they had the same problem.

Original review: July 12, 2019

We purchased our phones outright when we signed with Ooma. We got the Yealink T21P E2 desk phones. Then, after a few months of service, we had so many issues that Ooma could not or would not fix. Due to this, we switched to RingCentral. We were able to get all but 1 of our phones seamlessly switched over to RingCentral. The one we cannot needs the username and password of the phone when it is accessed from a computer browser via the IP address. Ooma refuses to give this information out despite the fact that we own these phones outright. Further, they told me they cannot give the information out. I asked them where the contract was that our office signed stating that we accept that term and they stated they didn't have one.

I know that they can give out this username and password because it was given to me when we initially set up the phones with them and were having issues getting them to function. I am just sorry I didn't write it down. They were rude over the phone as well. Do not do business with this company. I would give zero stars if I could.

Original review: June 27, 2019

Signed up and had numbers ported. My business was shut down for 3 days trying to get the phones to work. Booting. Rebooting, reprogramming. The techs had to go up 3 tiers for support. Final tech from Manila could not grasp that I saved my sign on in favorites to access it. Cancelled service, and 7 days later and the lines have still not been released to Comcast. BIG BEWARE.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ooma Telo?

Original review: June 20, 2019

I have had my Ooma for sometime (years) and found I haven't needed it lately. Like most, I use my cell phone exclusively and have no need for a home phone anymore. I initially tried to chat with customer service online via text chat. What was initially a 2 minute 54 second wait turned into almost 10 minutes to only find out that they couldn't help me, I had to call. The phone system isn't straightforward, there is no cancellation option so you have to get a customer service rep that takes your complaint and transfers you. This wait took another almost 10 minutes of my precious time. This cancellation representative argued with me, bargained with me, and was not taking,"please cancel my service" seriously. After many minutes of repeating, "please cancel my service" I finally had to be unnecessarily firm with them to get them to cancel my service. I have received the notice it is cancelled but after reading the complaints, I will be watching my account closely.

Original review: June 17, 2019

I was setting the device up for someone else. During the initial setup it asked for a name, and I put in mine just to get past that part. I edited the profile later. The caller ID still came up as my name. When asked how to change it, they said there would be a $20 charge. I just think anything like that should be declared when you are entering the name, or handled by support when asked. It looks like they're going to nickel and dime you for basic functions after purchase, even if you've subscribed to the Premier service. Don't buy this.

Original review: June 13, 2019

Ooma phone fails to play any messages. Purchased USB connections so hopefully could listen on cell phone to calls that Telo will NOT play. That was a waste of money -- I'm guessing I need to purchase the 'premium' service. So bought another new Telo. It is sitting in its box. Will it work?? Will transferring from the old Telo (which doesn't work" to the new "Telo") work?? Out over $100 (in addition to the cost of original Telo) and just considering going back to another phone service. Does anybody want an unopened Telo and 2 unused 'USBs'?

Original review: June 5, 2019

Purchased Ooma Telo system from company after explaining what I wanted. I wanted 4 working telephones in the house that are analog corded phones that plug directly into the wall outlets. I wanted to import my current phone number to use as my Ooma number. I wanted to purchase basic service... Not premier service. When they emailed me a receipt of the charges (148.38) it did not break down what paid for. Just that I was being charged the 148.38. What I was told was that the 39.99 to import my number was included but when I got the system and powered it up I had to pay an additional 39.99 to start the import process (which takes 3 or 4 weeks) and that the original bill did not break down the charges so now I have to wait to dispute them.

They also sold me items I didn't need i.e. Ooma Linx remote phone jacks to the tune of 49.99 per unit. When I originally explained what I wanted I did it in a very detailed manner and the rep should have known what to sell me only. I believe I was sold "a bill of goods" although I can't say that because the emails about the purchase and the packing slip with the items do not explain what I bought? Very confused and have not gotten any good response from this company. Nobody seems to have the authority to make decisions and have been very vague with details. So from a customer standpoint of dealing with Ooma I'm not happy with their business practices and I believe have "soiled the sheets" when it comes to a good relationship with customers. I do not trust them and certainly would not recommend them to anyone.

Original review: May 24, 2019

I've had an Ooma home landline for nine years and was very happy with it but just discovered recently that the *67 caller ID blocking does not actually work. When I first suspected this, naturally I called my own cell with blocking on and it did in fact work but at least some others can identify my number. Tried to get an explanation from Ooma which is utterly futile.

Ooma Telo expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Ooma Telo devices provide VoIP calling for free. Customers connect the Ooma device to their Internet line and to their preferred handset. The device sends voice calls over the Internet for free; for domestic calls, consumers only pay the applicable taxes and fees. Ooma devices are available online and at several major retailers.

• Extra features: All Ooma accounts come with caller ID, voicemail, call waiting, an online call log and more. For an additional monthly fee, customers get a second line, free calling to Canada and Puerto Rice, three-way calling and other premium features.

• Ooma-to-Ooma calling: Ooma users can use their Ooma connected phone to call any other Ooma line for free, even if the users are in different countries.

• International calling: Customers can place international calls for as little as 1.4 cents per minute. Those who prefer to know exactly how much their bill will be each month can subscribe to Ooma’s World Plan, which allows customers to place unlimited calls to 60 countries for a consistent monthly charge.

• Smart home connectivity: Ooma can connect to Nest thermostats to automatically forward calls when the thermostat is set to away. It can also send notifications to Android and Apple devices when someone calls the Ooma line so they will know who’s calling when they’re away from the house.

• Accessories: Ooma sells several accessories so consumers can customize their system. Options include adapters to make the unit wireless, wearable handsets for safety and Bluetooth connectors to sync Oomas to cellular phones.

• Best for: Ooma is best for individuals who want a low monthly rate and have an existing Internet provider.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs