Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.70/5

Ooma Telo Reviews

Original review: Jan. 28, 2020

I've been with AT&T for 23 years, it's been nothing but a nightmare, you're on hold for 45min to 2 hrs by the time you're finished being helped. I was telemarketed by a guy name Brandon, he was so kind and persistent and never gave up on me, I'm so grateful to him today that he didn't! My phone lines were switched over Dec. 27th 2019, I had, had enough of AT&T, MY new phone bill for the year for 5 lines, went from 350.00 a month, sometimes 390.00, to 550.00 swear to god, I was overwhelmed it pushed me right over the edge.

I finally left At&T, my first phone bill was 120.74 and my newest one is 117.00, I swear to you! The switch over was amazing, they should honestly have a 6 star rating. They help you instantly, there's no being on hold waiting for someone new to help you, the customer service is amazing. I don't know what states AT&T GOES TO but do yourself a great thing and get rid of them! I don't know what 5 lines are costing you a month, if you want to pay 117.00 for everything, call Ooma and ask for BRANDON, this review is being written on my own free will, I'm writing a review everywhere I can to help people to get out of paying a ridiculous phone bill! I've wasted 5,196.00 over 12 months because I was scared to switch, do yourself a favor and make the best decision of your life. Don't be afraid to go from landline to in the cloud, I haven't had one problem that was fixed immediately. I love ooma. Thank you Brandon if you see this for not giving up on me!

Barbara

Original review: Oct. 23, 2019

Since I have had Ooma Telo & Ooma Office for over 5 years, I have had several issues. However as of 2019 Ooma has stepped up their game without increasing price or business model. As far as Ooma support, in a word has been phenomenal. I have met several techs that were simply great. I've seen several complaints about Ooma of which I believe most are from the same person. What everyone should be complaining about, is the amount of TAX each state charges for having a Ooma line. In Florida, Ooma office line $10 per month for tax. Really? That's 50% of what Ooma Office cost for the service. I have not read one complaint about that, with the exception of mine.

Get expert buying tips about Home Phone Service delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2019

I have had Ooma in my primary home for over 10 years and never had an issue that was not fixed with just rebooting the Telo unit. Sound quality is good and service spot on. Have the premier service for around $135 which has a lot of features. Use the 3-way calling and phone number blocking a lot. I just installed a new Ooma service in my Mom's home. Had an issue with the telo unit not functioning properly. Was sent a new unit, no charge, and it worked perfectly once the Ooma CSR set up the codes correctly on their side. My mom is 93yo and loves the savings over using AT&T landline which was charging near $100/mo and the AT&T service sucked being out at times 4-6 weeks. Imagine that inconvenience.

Original review: April 9, 2019

Many times people will swiftly shout out the failures of service, but I would like to express my delight as an Ooma customer. When Ooma was first introduced to me by Brian and the Boise team, I was skeptical. I had VoIP service before, but it was nothing like what I have experienced with Ooma. I truly appreciate the great work Ooma is doing as a company and the exceptional quality of the Boise team.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2020

I bought an Ooma Hub and Scout, the legacy Ooma product, circa 2008, for a good bit of coin. I paid up because it was advertised as free for life, meaning no taxes, absolutely free. Shortly after buying my Ooma, I began getting emails a few times a year, telling me if my Ooma were not used within a certain period of time, my membership would be canceled, meaning no more free, even though I paid up. A really ** policy, but I sucked it up and just made sure to comply with the BS policy. I got my last warning in 2015 or 2016 (I can't recall off the top of my head), and I made sure to use the Ooma within the required period.

I never received another warning. Fast forward to 2020, when I went to set my Ooma up at my new home, after not needing it for a few years. I just learned Ooma terminated my damn account, and they are refusing to reactivate it. I explained that I never got a warning or any email that it was canceled, but they didn't care. I escalated to a supervisor, who told me that someone would call me back re an exception, but never got a call. I'm considering suing them in small claims just for the sport of it. Meanwhile, I bought an Obi 200, and am very happy with it. Screw you, Ooma.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ooma Telo?

Original review: Jan. 25, 2020

OOMA did not inform me when I signed up that I could not block calls unless I subscribed to their premier service. Now I will get robocalls, political call, etc. and I cannot block them!!!! Do not use this company.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2020

We used OOMA for many years. We decided to get rid of the house phone all together. We called and canceled the account. But we keep getting billed. When trying to talk to the online 'tech support' or help, they say, "Sorry call this number and they will refund you." And they hang up the online chat, rather rudely. When we call we get the run around. BEWARE of breaking up with OOMA, It's been a nightmare.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2020

Service was fine and price was right BUT DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY if you ever want to cancel. We spend hours on the phone attempting to do so months ago when we moved and they continue to bill us the $6/month fee. We called again and they still won't cancel. There is nothing worse than a company that won't cancel your subscription and these guys are about the worst we've ever seen! DO NOT RECOMMEND!

Original review: Nov. 26, 2019

I receive calls daily from individuals who received calls from 'my' number. Ooma should have a better VOIP protocol to prevent such scams. It's annoying to have to apologize to countless callers that should not be hacked by scammers. Ooma: Step Up.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2019

I had OOMA for at least 5 years in my house and also recommended it to others. For the most part the service was fine, it has kind of has a strange dial tone but you get use to it. At 6.26 a month it's kind of hard to go wrong with the service. Comcast actually offered me a better all one on package with Voice so after many years I dropped OOMA.

This is where the problem comes in and you should be very afraid. I called customer service to cancel my account and they told me they were sorry to see me go. They told me I could take my equipment and either give or sell it to someone else. If used within 60 days they would waive the activation fee for the next user. They then went and credited my account for 12.52. For the next two months they charged me 6.22. I had no issue with that. However after two months I find that they have continued to bill me. Interesting since the number has been ported over to another company, the MAC address on the equipment which I cancelled wouldn't have shown up in their system as being active, but yet they are continuing to bill me for.

I asked this question through their Chat Feature, "So even though I'm not using the service and now one has I am still charged for the use of NOTHING?" Their Response YES. Needless to say it appears you have to cancel more than once. (I've never heard of such a thing.) I use to have good things to say about OOMA. NO more.

Avoid expensive home repairs

Take our two minute quiz to find the right home warranty for you.

Ooma Telo expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Ooma Telo devices provide VoIP calling for free. Customers connect the Ooma device to their Internet line and to their preferred handset. The device sends voice calls over the Internet for free; for domestic calls, consumers only pay the applicable taxes and fees. Ooma devices are available online and at several major retailers.

• Extra features: All Ooma accounts come with caller ID, voicemail, call waiting, an online call log and more. For an additional monthly fee, customers get a second line, free calling to Canada and Puerto Rice, three-way calling and other premium features.

• Ooma-to-Ooma calling: Ooma users can use their Ooma connected phone to call any other Ooma line for free, even if the users are in different countries.

• International calling: Customers can place international calls for as little as 1.4 cents per minute. Those who prefer to know exactly how much their bill will be each month can subscribe to Ooma’s World Plan, which allows customers to place unlimited calls to 60 countries for a consistent monthly charge.

• Smart home connectivity: Ooma can connect to Nest thermostats to automatically forward calls when the thermostat is set to away. It can also send notifications to Android and Apple devices when someone calls the Ooma line so they will know who’s calling when they’re away from the house.

• Accessories: Ooma sells several accessories so consumers can customize their system. Options include adapters to make the unit wireless, wearable handsets for safety and Bluetooth connectors to sync Oomas to cellular phones.

• Best for: Ooma is best for individuals who want a low monthly rate and have an existing Internet provider.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team