1.55/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 3, 2017

55 Ooma Telo Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

It has worked very well for me, My original Ooma was bought in 2012 and lasted 5 years. So $20/year, plus tax, is pretty cheap for phone service. I recently bought another. The hook-up is easy but not so clear in the directions. I took it with me when I move or travel, voicemail messages are available online, and you can choose an area code from anywhere! Make sure you have reliable internet. But even using slower, satellite internet worked for me at my summer place. I've always had a good experience calling Ooma for tech or billing. If accents bother you, try the online chat, And if you want to cancel billing, why not call your credit card company?

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

I have been a customer for about five years. I saw that the latest Telo offered Bluetooth and other features. I bought it and installed it. I then started to have many PROBLEMS. The new Telo device treated me as though I were a hybrid; it saw my existing account, but wanted NEW number so I now had two accounts. My old number was no longer the contact number I have had for 40 years but the generated number from Ooma. Asked customer service to remove the new account and it did by sending the request to the tech staff. I then lost all my contacts, black lists, call logs, etc. Ooma's customer service is pitiful; the reps have only a conversational knowledge of English (they were from the Philippines); my final contact was a senior rep (she claimed) who spoke good English but still couldn't solve my problem.

Anybody who thinks American tech people are less smart than the rest of the world should think twice; low wage scales elsewhere may boost corporate profits short term, but anger the customer base... If Ooma wants me to refer friends to Ooma, well, after this experience I hope others be aware of the inadequate technical and linguistic skills of its tech staff. I used Ooma's contact page to send a note to its head of customer support this evening (11/2). It would surprise me to get a decent response. I didn't last week after spending 2.5 hours on the phone with customer support.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Oct. 30, 2017

Poor quality sensors. I have replaced batteries twice in one month on motion detector. Sensors constantly lose connection with network. Initial order was shipped incorrectly. Warranty doesn't cover return shipping costs to the US. Just crap.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

I picked up Ooma home telephone equipment 4 years ago, on sale at London Drugs. It was extremely easy to activate, and I have used it for the past 4 years as our home phone with no issues whatsoever. The call quality is just as good as dedicated landlines. What I like also is that when traveling I can pick up messages anywhere, and, using the Ooma app, phone anyone via WiFi or Data (I do not have a cell phone, and use my iPad mini cellular for this). The cost is only for 911, and I pay under $4 a month. Cannot beat this service, in my opinion. Exceptional.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

I gave them my cc card info and signed up. Tried to cancel services for 7 months while they continue to bill my cc even after they cancelled the card. These fools have a way to get your new card numbers and Visa just keeps giving it to them. This company is awful. Do not use under any circumstances.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ooma Telo?

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

I called to discontinue my service and was given a confirmation number for the cancellation; however, they continued to bill me for the services while the OOMA unit sat in my closet unused. When I called about the billing, they would only refund 2 months out of the 10 months that they continued to bill me. They stated that they wanted to keep the account open in case I sold the unit to another person so it would be easier to restart the account for them. Or some such nonsense. If I own the unit and if I choose to sell it then it is the buyer's responsibility to set up their own account, not mine. What about CANCELING OR DISCONTINUING THE SERVICE is that difficult to understand? I told them cancellation "system" they use is a con job & would never use them again as a result. IF I CANNOT TRUST THE CUSTOMER SERVICE THEN WHY SHOULD I TRUST THE COMPANY OR ITS PRODUCTS OR SERVICES.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2017

I used the Ooma Telo VoIP service for several years without a problem. About 6 months ago, decided to get rid of the landline. Called to cancel the Ooma service. The monthly charges continued. Called a second time to cancel. Was told that this time it would be cancelled. Charges continued. Called a third time and said in no uncertain terms to cancel the service and stop charges. Just found another charge to my account this week. You can't cancel on the weekend, because their special "cancellation team" in customer service does not work on the weekends. Beware if you ever decide to cancel this service. You need to watch like a hawk and keep checking your statements for months to see if they actually cancel as you request.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

I had visited a grocery store (Panchavati in Ellesmere/Markham) and found a OOMA Services sales pod. The sales guys was selling the services (9.99 per month). The sales guy's name was Arman. When I requested him to waive off the device charges (50 CAD one time), he said he will take off it and the waive will be done for me as a special case. I took the connection and after a couple of months when I checked the debits to my Credit card, I realized that the 50 dollars + taxes was charged to my account. I called up the call center but they refused to act on it stating that the promotional offer does not provide that option.

This is really unfair - how can the company refuse to accept the commitment provided by the field guys. How do they accept that WRONG promises to be offered in the field and make the customer pay for the unfair practices. I am sure with the high attrition rates, the sales guy would have quit the company and eventually a customer like is expected to shut up. But I want the company to pay for the changes and provide me the waive-off since this is totally unfair practice on the part of OOMA.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2017

I tried to set up my Ooma device and had problems so I called "Customer Service". That's when the problems got even worse. The representative I spoke with had very poor English language skills for starters. I asked her where she was based and she reluctantly told me she was in the Philippines. Of course Ooma advertises their customer support is located in THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. They lie about that. But the real problem was that the representative had an adversarial attitude right from the beginning and suggested I just cancel the service if I had a problem with setting it up... WHAT??? What kind of company employs people to antagonize brand new customers and, even worse encourages the customers to cancel?

I also realized that Ooma is trying to make additional money by setting up the so called "Premier" service which you are AUTOMATICALLY enrolled in and have to cancel in order to avoid a $9.99 per month charge. I also wanted to have my current phone number ported to Ooma and that became another huge issue... I was ASSURED by my sales rep that this was a simple process and that Ooma would support me through it. Not only was customer support useless they were downright adversarial! I slept on the decision and decided to cut my losses - today I canceled the Ooma account and blocked any further charges to my credit card. I also talked with my credit card company about the Ooma claim to pay for shipping the device back and they will stand behind me if, and when (as expected) Ooma refuses to honor their promise.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

I cancelled service with Ooma in January of 2016. I asked to completely cancel service because it did not work as intended with my neighborhood's front gate. The rep mentioned that instead of cancelling I could transfer service to someone else. I told him, again, that I wished to cancel service. I thought all was well until I just happen to look at my bank statement closely today and see a $4.80 charge. The way that it was listed on my statement, I thought it was a charge for another service, but after researching, I found out that Ooma has never cancelled my service and has continued to charge me for ALMOST TWO YEARS. When I called to demand a refund, they offered me a two month refund (which I laughed at). They are now "reviewing" my request for a full refund. Be absolutely careful when considering this company. I can see a class action lawsuit on the horizon as I have read horror stories about their billing practices.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2017

If this company put as much money into their customer support as they do into their marketing they might have a chance. It all SOUNDS good - we ordered the product, received the self install kit (which was fine)... and this is when the issues started. The first issue was porting our numbers over. I was ASSURED by our sales rep that this was a simple process and that Ooma would support us through it. Not only was customer support useless they were down right adversarial!

After a month of attempting to port our numbers with no help from Ooma we decided to cancel our account. This was worse than trying to get support to port number - online reps refused to help - they referred us to live customer support, live customer support was again adversarial and kept insisting that we provide information that we did not have even though we had the account number - the billing address and the credit card paying the account. We finally found that the only way to cancel the account was to cancel the credit card so that they would not receive payment. Never again with this company - I can not even rate their technology as we could never get it to work. If I could give ZERO stars on this review I would.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2017

I first started with the old Ooma Hub system (the one that was boxy and had the big square lights that look like something from an old Star Trek set (pretty neat design). I configured it for my business, so I actually could run two business lines through with a rollover. It was not easy getting the wires right, but there was help online and I figured it out... and this was for a somewhat rare setup.

Amazing that such a service even existed, and saved me MANY HUNDREDS over the years. It worked so well, I bought another Hub for the home, and it continues to work great. Then, I needed a second unit for my second business, but wanted Bluetooth. So got an Ooma Telo (V1). Again, works great, and I have it configured for a rollover line as well.

When we were going to go on an extended vacation (something very rare for me), we installed the Ooma Security feature. Sensors in the office worked wonderfully, and still do, on a schedule and with notifications I can control. The savings over home security services that lock you in and charge way, way too much... well, that was great as I'd been burned with those contracts in the past. I'd say it is worth getting an Ooma just for the home security option. It is dependable and has a lot of features you won't get with a traditional route. I could not be more pleased with the three Ooma systems I have purchased. They have worked dependably for years, even the old ones that are not even technically supported anymore. I rely on that old system every day for my business and I would not do so if I did not experience a stellar track-record.

Ooma systems are VERY well designed, and I am unclear why there are these poor reviews on here. I can only imagine these are people dipping their toes in Voice-Over-Internet and not really looking for a solution, and then they get peeved when they realize they can use their cell phone at home and have waited too long for a full refund. Not saying their complaints are lies... but gosh, it just runs so counter to my experiences that I wanted to more evenly balance the reviews here because, in my opinion, Ooma rocks!

Original review: Aug. 14, 2017

I am 64 years old living on SS. I strive to save money every way I can so I decided to give Ooma Telo a try. After ordering the basic home unit on April 28, 2017, I received a unit for small business. Contacted Ooma and they stated that they will research the issue. After a week, they stated that the unit I received was supposed to ship to a company in NY. At this time they shipped the unit I ordered. They stated that they would send me prepaid authorization to return the business unit. On May 22, 2017 almost a month later I received the authorization & had UPS pick up the unit. Tracking showed that they received the unit & I called & verified.

On May 15, 2017 Ooma drafted the correct amount of $4.70, the monthly fee for the home system I have. In June, July & August they drafted $4.70 each month for the unit I have and deducted $26.33, $26.29 & $28.13 also for the unit I returned. They agreed to refund the $28.13 overcharge for August but refused to refund for June & July totaling $52.62. Kevin of Ooma stated that their policy is nothing over 30 days old will be handled. Why did they wait until June to start the overcharges? They stated that I was suppose to cancel the service for the wrong unit they shipped? Poor way to do business ripping off senior citizens.

Original review: July 31, 2017

This is my first official review of any company, but the product and cancellation processes were such a joke I would hate for anyone else to pay for it. Like one of the other reviewers, our device had a lot of connection issues which could never be fully resolved despite lengthy calls. Keep in mind, my husband and I are both tech savvy people so this is not because of our tech knowledge.

When we canceled in August of 2016, we were given the option of selling or giving the equipment to other people which we declined. Here's our fault - we didn't notice they were still billing us (obviously, this was our fault). When I called they acknowledged that we canceled the account however we were still billed $5 per month because we were going to give the device to others!!! WHAT A CROCK. I confirmed again now that we were not going to give our devices to anyone and frankly didn't know where there were. Again, I was assured we were canceled. On top of it they continued to push their services throughout the phone call.

Original review: July 28, 2017

This OOMA is a nightmarish company. After porting my number from another provider purely on cost considerations (like a fool I am), was unable to receive incoming calls. After more than 5 attempts with so-called tier-3 support, they tell me that my phone might have been transferred to some other provider. No idea how that could have happened. First they refused to tell me which provider then they mentioned something like Boroadbovice. After a long frustrating conversation and not able to get a solution, finally cancelled the service without a clue if I can keep my number by calling any other provider. Very bitter lesson. Don’t even touch this provider with a ten-foot pole.

Original review: July 25, 2017

I got a call from Ooma asking me to try their product for 60 days. I have to admit they were persistent and good. After 45, I called ask to return. They told me that they can give me another 60 days. I felt I had nothing to lose but my time, so I agreed. Thirty days before my trial is about to expire, I called them and ask them that I do not need it because my cell phone fine and I tried to use it a few time and (the quality of the sound quality is fine). I ask them how should I return the device, they told me that I cannot and they will not refund me the money for the device ($99.99). I told that I never was told that the device could be only returned within first 60 days. I ask them that they record conversations with their clients and he could listen on the conversation. I was told that they keep it only for 30 days (and I just missed it). I ask the rep if it make sense that I got free trial for the service but not the device. So basically, they are liars.

Original review: July 20, 2017

Terrible experience. We were sold on Ooma when sales person came in. Loved the features of an app and price per line was very good. Thought we would give it a shot. Well... they leave you to set it all up yourself (and it was very confusing). The quality of the system was terrible. Bad connections. We have two lines and they were not rolling over. Our fire alarm system kept going off. We decided soon after to go back to our phone company that we had before because everything always worked great with them.

The worst part of this experience was when I called customer service at Ooma to cancel, the lady on the phone (Eesa?) would not take me telling that I wanted to cancel with Ooma because mainly our fire system is not compatible with Ooma. I asked her 4 or 5 times that we were canceling and what the next steps would be. She just kept saying we need to reconsider. This to me was very rude and I told her so. I don't normally write reviews but I want to warn small businesses that Ooma may not be right for them.

Original review: July 15, 2017

After talking to friends about VoIP, I decide to drop my line, I purchased Ooma Telo on the 25th of June. Today is 7/15/7017. (The company is 50 miles from me.) I have called (once), I was told sales is working on shipping it out to me, and it should arrive within the week (didn't happen). I have live chatted (3 times) asking about my order, each time told it will take 2 to 3 days to get info from the sales dept, I have yet to receive a response via email from the company on the status of my order. The money was taken from my account the following day. I will be asking for my money back if it does not arrive shortly.

Original review: July 8, 2017

I canceled my service with Ooma after frustration trying to reinstall the device after I got a new network. I called customer service a minimum of 7 times. They were complacent and very unfriendly. Since I couldn't use my device, I called to cancel it... Of course they did everything to keep me including offer a huge discount. Still unsatisfied, because it was the worst customer service experience I have ever had in my life, I canceled. They told me to sell my device because it was worth money. I told them I would think about. They continued to charge my credit card $4.30 per month. I went online to chat with CS, and guess what? They couldn't help me. Stay away from this company!!! Worst customer service - liars - they charge your credit card!

Original review: July 5, 2017

I called to cancel last month, and this month there are still charges of $4.84 on my visa card. They said they issued a $10 credit last month, and that was in advance of the charges for 2 months. I asked why they do business like this, when I don't use the phone & don't have internet anymore. And I asked to CANCEL service??? Really hard to get off the phone with them... I kept repeating "I only want to cancel service with you, and I will never use OOMA again!" Finally after 5 minutes I think we are done. Wow... very difficult to get out of a relationship with them. I hope we are finally done!

Original review: June 28, 2017

Ooma was working fine at the beginning after I sign up. After a year of use, problems start to occur. I was not able to make outgoing calls at all. Every time I call someone, I get a busy dial tone. I reported this to Ooma and after a day it started working again. However the same busy tone problem occurred within the next few weeks. I chat with several of Ooma's online people, also talk to their phone support, no one seem to know why or what is going on.

Every time this happen, they basically just wait for the problem to go away. It is clear to me there is something wrong but they don't seem to be able to diagnose the problem and provide a long term solution. It is beyond frustrating when they ask you to call their support line, when the problem is, you cannot make an outgoing call. After my experience with Ooma's support department, I no longer trust Ooma as a phone provider. I rather pay more for a reliable service, than dealing with Ooma's periodic downtime and frustration.

Original review: June 19, 2017

In 2014 I tried product and several months later called to cancel. Support asked my reasons (lack of use) and told me my account would be closed. Today (shame on me) I noticed a $4.82 charge and again called to see why over two years later I was getting billed. Support said they did note my call back in 2014 but said the charge was because I said I was going to let a friend use the phone and keep the account open. THIS I DID NOT DO and was very uneasy when their rep asked for my credit card to give me a 6-month refund (max allowed he said). To give someone who's been pickpocketing you for 30 months your AmX number was unnerving, but the only way he said it could be done. You can bet I will be watching my card forward...

Original review: June 14, 2017

We had Ooma service till some time in May 2016 when we switched over to Time Warner. When I contacted them to cancel, their service rep pleaded with me not to cancel the service but to sell the equipment on Amazon or eBay. He managed to get my credit card info also, promising that they would charge but revert every charge immediately. I sold the Ooma system on eBay in October 2016 and informed them accordingly.

To my fault (& laziness) I was not very particular in checking details of my credit card statement - I took the Ooma rep at his words. However, in Feb 2017, it was a surprise when I got $128 charged as pre-payment for their yearly service. I also found that they had been charging me $4 monthly even after May 2016 but there was no reimbursement. I had to get new cards to prevent them charging me again and also disputed the charges my Citi Credit cards. In the end Citi did not refund my $128 because I did not have a written proof of cancellation with Ooma. Those who have deal with Ooma know that how hard it is to cancel their service & they don't leave a paper or email trail in this regard. In summary, Ooma is an unethical company, my advice is to stay away from them as far as possible.

Original review: May 29, 2017

I have had Ooma since 2013 and been happy with it even though they do not advertise the fact that you are still responsible for taxes and fees. I thought I was paying a one time fee for the device but it was not the case. I moved and no longer needed it. In December I spoke with Alvin who said he would cancel the account after trying to pressure me into keeping it or selling or giving the device to someone. In order to get him off the phone, I told him I would try to do that.

Today. May 29th, I see on my CC card that they have been charging me $4.10 per month. I called my CC Card company and they put me on a 3 way call. Danny at Ooma said that because I had not sold or given the device to someone, as agreed that I was still being charged. He refused to reverse the charges but Capital One did. Hence the reason for my complaining about Ooma. The device works well and I had no complaint about it but their Customer Service sounds offshore and is horrible. When I told him that customer perception is more important than reality, he went back to the script again said he could not reversed charges and offered me a replacement. I was very surprised that they would not reverse the charges. I thought they were more reputable than they are. Beware.

Original review: May 22, 2017

After chatting online and talking with two different people I finally got to the person who would cancel my service. I told her a dozen times I wanted my service cancelled and she kept arguing with me I need to keep the service until I sold the unit to another person. I kept telling her "no" and then I finally asked her "Are you listening to me? I said I want the service cancelled!!!". She gave me a cancellation number but from what I've read from other people they'll more and likely keep charging me. If I see another charge I'm going to call my bank and have all charges from them blocked if possible and dispute each one. This company is very unethical and are almost criminal.

Original review: May 22, 2017

We selected Ooma Office for an office based phone system for a new business early this year. I corresponded with an Ooma sales rep via phone and email for over a week to nail down exactly what we needed and what the costs would be. He provided, in writing (via email) a breakdown of what we would be charged and the services we would receive. Unfortunately, the price that he quoted was off by a factor of 3, and our bill was approximately $125 instead of the $40 we were promised. I escalated with support, and they "fixed" the problem and honored the salesman's agreement (or so they said.) The billing cycle passed, and I was again charged the $125 amount.

I called and opened another ticket and was told they would credit my account and fix it, and that I would hear from someone within 24 hours. A week passed, and I called back. I was escalated to a supervisor and was told that I didn't understand how billing worked. He explained why my charge was $125. I explained (and referred him to the emails I had already sent them from THEIR sales rep.) that my charge was incorrect. His response was (I'll paraphrase): "No, I can't escalate it. No, I don't care that you were promised one thing and lied about what we would charging you. Yes, I will escalate to sales management, but they don't understand how billing works, and don't really care - they just sell the promotional packages."

My only recourse is to cancel my service (which I will do as soon as I can figure out how to port my number). Ooma employs fraudulent business practices and won't stand behind what their very own salespeople sell. They hope that, once you're "locked in" to a new phone number, it's too much trouble to change it and you'll keep paying fees that are higher than traditional phone companies. I asked to be escalated beyond the person who simply repeated their current billing structure, and was told "it's my job to explain how billing works with Ooma. I've been here for 5 years, so I know." STAY AWAY FROM OOMA!

Original review: May 18, 2017

We cancelled our Ooma service 6 months ago; they still send us bills for a line we do not recognize! We have called them half a dozen times, they still send us threatening email they will send the case to "collection" (for a line we do not recognize and know nothing about!!). Their emails are threatening & intimidating. This is nothing but arm twisting. By the way, they had jack up the monthly charge on us without a notice; their bills just include one line item charge (say $30.00) - that's it. Unlike all other communication companies, Ooma's bills do not itemize the charge into line charges, taxes, FCC charges, etc. So you do not know what they are really charging you for! I believe this is illegal; something FCC would need to look into. As for billing, well, that says it all.

As for the voice quality - Poor; we would experience break-ups here and there. As for customer service? Most are poorly trained, their conversations are long and time consuming. They promise a supervisor will call but you never get a call. You can see the tip of the iceberg. That's why we just switched. Too much hassle, poor voice quality, bad customer service, ambiguous billing. WE DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS COMPANY, until, hopefully one day, they get their act together.

Original review: April 29, 2017

Very bad voice quality and worst customer service. They give hard time when you try to cancel their phone service. Porting of phone number to other carrier is not good enough to stop Ooma from charging your credit card.

Original review: April 21, 2017

I have been fighting with Ooma customer service for over three weeks now... I pay an extra $60 for the Enhanced Calling Bundle... I pay this extra amount primarily for the convenience of having the Blacklist feature. I've been an Ooma customer for over three years now. But all of a sudden when I try to use the Blacklist function via the Ooma site I get an error screen saying that I have to upgrade to a Premiere account... my contract has not changed... Ooma still takes my $60 and Customer Service just gives me the runaround...

Original review: April 12, 2017

Have used Ooma for 7 months, at first it was acceptable but lately the caller can't understand me due to choppy cut out every second or so. I tried moving it from after the router (new) to between cable modem and router, no change. Replaced the remote phone with a wired one, no change. Adjusted Ooma box QoS, which sets Ooma box internet priority (to do this browse http://setup.ooma.com/home.lp click advanced then set upstream to 512(default) or higher). I tried 1000k to 3000k, no change. We have 2 phone lines in the house, the second is Telus hardwired. I blow gently in the Telus phone and hear a continuous wind sound on the Ooma phone, but when I blow lightly into the Ooma phone, it's received with serious drops every sec or so, almost each word is chopped off. Rumor is Ooma's servers are overextended so it can't be fixed. Bottom line is my Ooma is unusable... sad I like it, except that I can't use it.

Ooma Telo expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Ooma Telo devices provide VoIP calling for free. Customers connect the Ooma device to their Internet line and to their preferred handset. The device sends voice calls over the Internet for free; for domestic calls, consumers only pay the applicable taxes and fees. Ooma devices are available online and at several major retailers.

• Extra features: All Ooma accounts come with caller ID, voicemail, call waiting, an online call log and more. For an additional monthly fee, customers get a second line, free calling to Canada and Puerto Rice, three-way calling and other premium features.

• Ooma-to-Ooma calling: Ooma users can use their Ooma connected phone to call any other Ooma line for free, even if the users are in different countries.

• International calling: Customers can place international calls for as little as 1.4 cents per minute. Those who prefer to know exactly how much their bill will be each month can subscribe to Ooma’s World Plan, which allows customers to place unlimited calls to 60 countries for a consistent monthly charge.

• Smart home connectivity: Ooma can connect to Nest thermostats to automatically forward calls when the thermostat is set to away. It can also send notifications to Android and Apple devices when someone calls the Ooma line so they will know who’s calling when they’re away from the house.

• Accessories: Ooma sells several accessories so consumers can customize their system. Options include adapters to make the unit wireless, wearable handsets for safety and Bluetooth connectors to sync Oomas to cellular phones.

• Best for: Ooma is best for individuals who want a low monthly rate and have an existing Internet provider.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs