1.07/5

155 MCI / WorldCom Consumer Reviews

Original review: Sept. 10, 2014

I received a call from 210-714-3539 and the guy asked if I was "My Last Name" and I said yes, and he hung up. So they're not selling anything or offering, they are just gathering information for whatever purpose and when you call back they're unreachable. These are allegedly CRIMINALS, whichever is their purpose. I believe the trouble is coming to their house very soon.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2014

On two recent occasions I have used the card, yet when I go to make a new call, a recording comes back stating that I cannot use the card because it is still in use. Takes at least 2 hours to resolve the problem with MUCH haggling. I STILL cannot use the card and they are unapologetic. I HAVE to make a phone call and this calling card (with $69 remaining credit) is my only way.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2014

On Apr.1, 2014 toll charges for internet access from a local long-distance access number totaling 702 mins ($924.75 taxes included) were incurred and appeared on our AT&T phone bill. Interesting to note and highly suspect in my observations of Apr. 1 were the following: I was online surfing the web when I involuntarily lost connection. Because I have auto-redial, the log-on screen window appeared and began redialing the 1st access number available. This number failed to connect. So the redial screen appears again and began redialing the next available access number. This too fails to connect. This process is repeated until the 6th or 7th access number is dialed. This 6th or 7th number turns out to be a local-long distance access number that carries toll charges.

Why did the first 5 local access numbers automatically fail? And yet the one local long distance toll number succeeded? So the only access number to connect happens to be the toll access number, really? If the proper authority would subpoena the program coding or process that was used on or about April 1, 2014, to examine the process and sequence by which this function came about I believe it would reveal that the program coding was designed to purposely cause the local access numbers to fail repeatedly until it found a local long distance toll number to use. This is what I believe resulted in the above charges ($924.75).

AT&T controls the dial tone. They may even control the list of access numbers generated. In other words they probably are responsible for the list of access numbers available at the dial-up screen. Customers cannot manually add valid local (as opposed to toll) access numbers to the list to select from. Instead customers are asked to call AT&T to verify the numbers or to check the phone book. The phone book itself is an AT&T phone book. They control the process. And it is this process that serves to entrap dial-up customers who may inadvertently select a number that turns out to be a toll access number (even when the area code from the list of numbers is local). I do not believe this process that AT&T created is a mistake, accident or simple error. It is by design that what happened on April 1 occurred.

AT&Ts actions suggests intent to defraud dial-up customers. I dont believe what occurred here is unique to me; there are countless other dial-up customers who I believe have found themselves entrapped by this very fraudulent scheme. Sadly, Im sure there are untold numbers of customers who have not fought back and have just paid their overcharged inflated bills. These companies need to be dealt with in the harshest most severe penalty and/or fines that the laws allow. That is why the Enrons, Worldcoms, Wall Street and the like continued for so long on their path of abuse, unlawfulness and bad behavior. Dont allow them this conduct to be just another cost of doing business.

Also worth noting: They (AT&T, MCI, Netzero) failed to adequately disclose changes to LOCAL LONG DISTANCE zones either in writing and/or an email alert PRIOR to changes going into effect. The disclosure should be in form of a WARNING and the warning should be in BIG BOLD LETTERING (preferably a pop-up window a warning beside each access number being a toll access number). Ideally toll access numbers should not even be generated or appear on the list of numbers available because this practice is currently allowed, such actions could be viewed as a form of entrapment. THE PROPER REGULATORY AUTHORITY SHOULD INVESTIGATE. I have spoken to AT&T by phone. MCI has refused to discuss details with me because I am not the account name authority. Please address appropriately.

Original review: April 4, 2014

We had been MCI customers for decades and had two disputed billing cycles that made our life a living hell - one many years ago and one more recently in 2012 which finally resulted in our cancellation of their service. The first incidence was a billing process error on their part which consumed our life and forced us to finally take a day off from work to get a bank statement since our own canceled check and carbon copy was not sufficient evidence according to MCI. The problem had an effect on our credit score in spite of there not being any fault on our side.

The second incidence in 2012 involved a disputed period and billing cycle in which we did not even receive service (Not even a dial tone). All members of our household have mobile phones which is/were our primary form of communication. The purpose of our landline was to have the ability to make or receive very infrequent calls to family in Norway. Our lack of service went therefore unnoticed until we in September 2012 were informed by people who had attempted to call us that they only received a busy signal. We investigated and found that our phone had no dial tone. For 3-4 weeks, we thought this was an issue with phones or phone jacks within our home but did not see urgency in resolving the problem since we had SKYPE and other ways to communicate. During this time, we continued to pay our MCI bill.

When we realized that this was not a problem within our home but the line, a call was made to MCI for repair service. An individual came out and spent less than 5 minutes with my adult son without investigating the problem, claiming he could not do anything without access to our basement (which was locked). I am not a phone repair man, but even I can recognize that the line in question is not in our basement since phone jacks in our detached garage with above apartment (closer to the alley) did not have service either. All necessary lines were accessible to this repairman who chose to leave without making any attempt to resolve our problem. I called MCI and informed them of this and no attempt was made for a second visit.

We finally made arrangement for other phone service with a much more service-minded company who made contact with MCI to cancel our service. The disputed billing cycle is between this service call and the date that service was cancelled. I find it hard to believe that the technical department within MCI is not capable of verifying that we did not have service within this period and with a quick memo/internal e-mail or call to their own billing department, could rectify this dispute and restore my perfect credit.

I spent several hours on the phone with an individual speaking very poor English trying to explain this. He was argumentative and rude and we were only credited $6 and a few cents which is absurd. A letter was also sent to MCI explaining the situation but my account balance was still sent to a collection agency who I am still hearing from on a regular basis 19 months later. This experience has been discouraging, frustrating and stressful to say the least. Writing a check for the disputed amount would be much easier but this is a matter of principle. They were provided enough information to investigate the problem and resolve it but chose instead to put their efforts towards victimizing the customer. While searching online for MCI/ MCIWorld/ Worldcom's corporate address, I had the ability to better understand the practices of this company. Its history, including the ex-CEO Ebbers' conviction and imprisonment, speak volumes!!!

Original review: Oct. 29, 2013

Every month the (MCI) Phone company keeps on calling for a payment... The fact that I just US Mail the following payments, it has not been over thirty days late... Due to nature of the calls, they do NOT need to keep unnecessary calling... This gets pretty annoying...

How do I know I can trust these reviews about MCI?

Original review: Aug. 1, 2012

I called back in March 2012 to get MCI started as our house telephone service. Our service was not to be installed until a week later from my call. When the representative came to install the phone line, my father said he did not want MCI as the telephone service, because they were not able to keep the same telephone number. The representative did not install anything and said he would inform MCI that my father did not want the service. A few weeks later, we receive a bill from MCI. I contacted MCI on 5/1/12 and spoke with Gustavo. I explained what was happening. Gustavo was to cancel the service, again, and get rid of the charges. Unfortunately, that did not happened and we have continued to receive monthly bills even after calling each month and speaking with someone different about our situation. I received a letter dated 7/12/12 from MCI Customer Service stating that the charges are valid and that credit will not be issued on our account. What account? We have never had MCI.

Original review: March 28, 2012

Unreasonable long distance charge - On 03/24/12, I contacted AT&T because there was a long distance charge showing billed from MCI on our home phone bill for $221.79 total. Marc (the name on the home phone bill) and I were unaware of this charge. He had only called AT&T to pay our home phone/internet service. AT&T advised him at that time that this charge existed, so I called AT&T also. I was long ago given permission by Marc to speak on the AT&T bill, as we split up the bills and until a few months ago, I was the one paying that bill. Anyway, I called AT&T and spoke with them. They asked for Marc's last four digits of his SSN for security and already saw I was able to speak on the account. They told me to call MCI and give me their phone number. I called and was advised that their normal business hours are M-F.

Over a year ago, I cancelled MCI. They were the long distance provider after AT&T gave up long distance, and for months I was paying service charges for a service we never used. I think had I ever made a call, the cost was 8 cents per minute. I am not even sure as we never used the service. I must have paid these charges for at least a year. Both Marc and I have a cell phone. We only have a home phone as AT&T is also our internet provider through DSL. I am not sure if we can opt to not have a house phone, but still have the internet. I will be checking on that as having home phone service makes no sense to us anyway.

So on Monday, I called the MCI number and reached Bobbie, ID #**. Bobbie said he is not allowed to give his last name. I told him I was charged for two charges to somewhere in GA. One call was for 84 minutes and another for 2. These calls both took place on 01/03/12 and other than that, there has never been a long distance charge on our house phone for years. I say years because it has been so long the time could be anywhere from 2 years to as many as 5 years. These charges totaled $221.79. These charges I was told was to a normal landline within the US. If anyone does the math, that averages to almost $2.60 per minute. I did not even know one could call long distance from the house phone since our long distance service had been cancelled for at least a year.

I had previously asked AT&T how one can make a call long distance when they don't have long distance on their phone. I said if that is possible, how does one get that stopped? As no one would ever pay $2.60 per minute for a phone call. Plus keep in mind, I was paying for months for their MCI service we never used and the rate couldn't have been more than 10 cents per minute. I asked Bobbie how I can get them to block our house phone from being able to call long distance. I am not even sure if this call really even came from my house, as I know neither Marc nor myself made this call. All I can think of was the phone got sat on and a number was dialed and left off the hook or that my nine year old was playing with the phone and called a number, or that the dog got a hold of the phone or that a stranger broke into our house and used the phone.

Really, these are the only logical things I have come up with. Anyway, Bobbie said I must call AT&T to have long distance blocked. Well they had already said MCI had to do that. He also said MCI can not clear these charges. I said I would even be willing to pay the 10 or so cents a minute that I would have paid all that time I paid just service charges, which I still feel is unjust as I had long distance cancelled long ago. I still didn't understand the $2.60 per minute. Where did that total even come from? How is that even allowed by law? So I asked to speak with Bobbie's supervisor. Instead of getting me to a supervisor, which he said he would do, he has the nerve to transfer me to AT&T.

This time, Diana ID **, got on the line. She said MCI has to adjust those charges. I said they told me AT&T would have too. She said the charges seem so far out of the ordinary that they do not appear to belong, which I agreed with. She said all she can do is give me 65 days to clear the charge and that she would put it in a holding status. She told me to call MCI back. She said I probably just got a bad rep who was new on the job and had no clue what was going on.

I called MCI back. Instead of going to the same place, it said my call was being sent to the high toll dept. Even MCI recognizes they are charging a rate that is unjust, in calling it high toll. This time, I got someone who identified himself as Mr. **. I asked for his first name, he stated it could not be provided nor did he provide his ID number. He asked me for my name and said he needed to confirm I could speak on the account and he needed to put me on a brief hold. I said I have spoken to AT&T twice already, once on Saturday and once when I was transferred to AT&T when I asked to speak to Bobbie's supervisor. He placed me on hold, got back on the line and asked for Marc's last four digits of his SSN, which I gave, then he got back on the line and said AT&T shows no record of me being authorized to speak on the account. Mind you, I have been authorized to speak on that account for over 10 years and have done so many times.

I said, "who did you speak with?" and he said Selisha with AT&T. I then asked him if he would pay over $200.00 for an 84 minute call that he didn't even recognize and he said no. I would have to believe I am not the only one who has been in this situation. I even offered to pay the going rate of 10 cents per minute just in case some rare thing like sitting on the phone had occurred. But no one would even listen to me. Then to say I am not authorized to speak on the AT&T account when I have done so for over ten years. When I even called on Saturday, I yelled out to Marc what his last four digits of his SSN were just so I didn't have to get up and go in the kitchen and get that information. First of all, when you cancel long distance service, it seems it should be unable to be called. Who in their right mind makes a long distance call when they have cell phones? It makes no sense to me. But in some rare case, this call was made from the house phone which I still doubt to charge almost $2.60 per minute is so unfair especially when I paid your service charges for months and months without ever once using the service.

I expect a credit of the full charges of $221.79 or at least a reduction in rate to $8.60, which would be 10 cents per minute just in the rare case that was made from my phone, either by my dog or child or someone's rear end. Plus either AT&T or MCI needs to determine why long distance phone calls can be made from phones that do not have that service. People expect that. High toll dept, even MCI, recognizes what they are doing is unjust.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2011

i cancelled my service with MCI Aug 8, 2011 and they are still billing me for services I do not have because their company did not do what they were supposed to do and cancel everything. I am tired of them taking money out of my account for services I do not have through them. I have called several times and they transferred me from person to person and no one can seem to fix the problem. I am to the point I am fixing to take a lawsuit out against them.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2011

My dear aunt died in May with a $69 credit balance on her MCI account, because she knew she might be unable to send out her bills. Since her account was closed, they have refused to send this money, even after we sent copies of her death certificate. Now they are giving us the runaround, transferring from one 800 number to another, from one idiot agent to another. Believe me, if we owed MCI $69, they would be sending us notices right and left and would not leave us alone. But since MCI owes us money, they don't care. Stay away from MCI. They suck.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2011

I was billed $12.90 for a 1 minute collect call and $16.89 for another 4 minute collect. The calls were from a hospitalized patient so I had to take them. The charges are outrageous. Their service is designed to take specific advantage of people in similar situations. What a pathetic company.

MCI / WorldCom Company Information