1.07/5

154 MCI / WorldCom Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 21, 2008

My Son is in the army at Fort Benning Georgia. He ran up a 300.00+ phone bill calling home collect. MCI called around 8-17-08 to make sure these calls was not fraudulent, to which I replied no and explained the calls were valid and from my Son. The MCI rep tried to do a 3 way call with my carrier AT&T but messed up and hung up on me. Today 8-21-08 I received my AT&T bill for 119.00 and a letter from MCI stating I could not receive any more calls from Fort Benning until the whole bill was paid. A 3 way call with AT&T showed my past history on long distance was only 80.00. We've only had AT&T for a year (not enough time for accurate long distance billing history).

MCI wants us to send AT&T 350-400 dollars so they will unblock Fort Bennings area code. We have a perfect history with paying our phone bills on time. My Son and I are being punished because he called home 6 times in one weekend looking for encouragement. I have one more weekend to talk to my Son before he goes to Afghanistan to fight for MCI'S right to screw their customers. We never had a chance to pay the bill before they blocked him from calling us. Thank God for calling cards. But you would think MCI would wait until the bill wasn't paid to block him instead of reacting on what if they don't pay and blocking my Son 2 weeks before he's deployed. There is no one at MCI that cares enough to listen to reason. I can understand if we stiffed them but we were never given the chance to pay. On top of that all these calls happened in 2 billing cycles so neither bill is that high.

My Son is willing to fight for our freedom. It's a shame that includes MCI'S freedom to screw their customers. I will never have anything to do with MCI as long as I live and I hope this little story entices other prospective customers to consider MCI's billing practices. Believe it or not it was their loss, theft (the department that makes you pay what you owe) that did this to us even though we haven't received a bill. It's only been 6 days since he called 6 times in 2 days and run this bill up. Think about it his next call could be the last time I hear his voice. Thanks MCI, you bunch of money hungry, greedy mongrels.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2008

I first contacted MCI in May of 2008 to report I could not hear out of my landline phone due to loud buzzing. They apologized and said they would have someone come out and look at lines. 2 weeks later, I called to follow up and they said problem was fixed. I told them I still could not hear out of phone, and they said they would check again. 2 weeks later still problem, and they did nothing. 2 weeks after that I called again, and again. Finally they send out a repairman who verified it was not an internal problem but was in the lines. I finally called and cancelled phone service after paying for 4 months worth of phone bills for an inoperable phone. MCI showed no real concern for my problem, and would have gone on trying to pacify me without correcting problem for years to come... I would say 4 months is ample time to correct any phone problem, and this caused me much stress and frustration... I will never be an MCI customer or recommend it to anyone I care about...

Original review: July 9, 2008

I have tried for three weeks to cancel my long distance service with MCI. Since they increased the minimum monthly fee, plus their long distance rates, I no longer want their services. I tried, unsuccessfully, to cancel via telephone on evenings and weekends, as I work during the day. Unfortunately, MCI does not provide staff to support residential services. I attempted to cancel on-line, but while I can add services to my hearts content on-line, it is not possible to cancel services on-line. I had to wait one week to get a PIN number in the mail (which they could not e-mail me?) which I was advised would allow me access to manage my account on-line, and when I received the PIN number and accessed the account.. surprise.. no way to cancel on line. "Call us, we'll help you.. only, not today, as it is a weekend, not on evenings, because we don't work then..." I had to take time off-work to stay home to cancel my account. And, MCI gets to charge me for another month of service while they put me through an exercise in futility. This is actually worse than when I tried to cancel AOL, and I thought they had cornered the market on making it hard for folks to cancel...

Original review: June 2, 2008

Three years ago I signed up for MCI services with the understanding that I would be moving in 3 days from ** to ** in Reno, Nevada 89506. At that time I was assured that you would be able to provide service in Lemmon Valley. Upon moving we were informed that you did not have service in that area. We have been bill and turned into collection agencies for a service that was never received. All effort to resolve this matter have been unsuccessful. I would appreciate it if you could research this matter as quickly as possible as I continue to receive collection notices. If it is your understanding that I indeed owe you $241.52 dollars then I am requesting that you provide me with proof that you did provide any kind of service that would equal that amount of money. I would like to clear this matter up as quickly as possible and have it removed from my credit report. Thank you for your assistance in clearing up this matter.

I have been turned into two different credit collection agencies resulting in an adverse affect on my credit score in addition the constant harassment resulting from them trying to collect a debt I do not owe. I feel that this was a mistake on the part of MCI by insuring me that service would be available in my new house, which of course turned out not to be the case. I'm extremely frustrated over this matter and would like to have it resolved promptly.

Original review: June 2, 2008

MCI started billing in March 2008 for I don't know what because I do not have long distance. March $6.59, April $6.66 & May $6.66. This is on an account in WV, which I had put on measured rate & no one was using the phone.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about MCI?

Original review: May 23, 2008

I received a notice for an attempt to collect a fictitious debt from: MCI Communications Services Inc. I never had an account with MCI nor did I request any account with them. This is the second time I have received a demand for payment for this debt. I originally received a letter from another collection agent in 7/2002 regarding this false debt and it was resolved favorably as the debt could not be validated by any entity involved. I notified the credit bureaus and they cooperated by removing it from my record. I believe the first attempt coincided with the collapse of MCI after filing Chapter 11 BK.

Original review: May 7, 2008

I've always carried a 15 to 20 dollar credit on my account over the many years I used MCI as a long distant carrier. Several months ago MCI decided to charge a minimum of 8.34 per month. My answer to that was unsubscribe which I did as soon as I got their new rule letter. To this date I've not received my refund, and MCI continues to bill me. They've eaten up my credit I had with my account, and now it's into the debit side. Just can't believe none of those “bug-eyed fish eat'n fools.”

Original review: March 17, 2008

I discontinued all land line long distance services over a year ago and use only cell phones for long distance calls. A couple months ago MCI started mailing bills for telephone number **. I mailed them a letter of complaint and explained that their service was not asked for and that I do not want a long distance carrier. They continued to send past due notices and I eventually contacted Bell South and put a PIC freeze on all of the phone numbers I own. I am still getting bills from MCI even though they know of the freeze. I never used their service during this time. Now they say I owe $39.10 even after my letter to them that went out of this office within 5 days of receiving their first bill.

No phone company should be allowed to just start sending bills without permission. MCI attempted this tactic years ago and it took several phone calls and a lot of my time to get them to credit me and stop sending bills. I thought the problem had gone away for good. There should be a class action lawsuit brought against this company. Please tell me what can be done. Not only do I not have time to mess with this company every time they decide to slam me, it just is wrong and should be against the law.

Original review: March 5, 2008

When I initially signed up for service with MCI the representative informed me that long distance calls to the UK, France and Holland were 4.3 cents per minute. He also informed me that calls within the USA and Canada were unlimited and were included in my monthly bill of approximately $79.00 per month. I make a call to Holland and talked 75 minutes. To my astonishment I received a bill totaling $275.00. I set up a plan to pay this but also told MCI that the person who initially signed me up misrepresented the truth. Finally MCI gave me credit back for the money I had paid toward the $275.00. On Feb 4, 2008 I made 3 calls to Canada and talked for 265 minutes, Feb 7th I talked 149 minutes and on Feb 9th I talked 84 minutes. This totals 498 minutes.

I was charged $722.07 plus $124.33 for this. After several hours on the phone with MCI mostly on hold I managed to talk to about 4 different people. I applied for a credit explaining that initially the truth was misrepresented to me. I received a letter on or about Feb 29th stating that my credit was denied. Now, had I known the rates were that high I would not have called Canada. I would have bought a calling card. No one in their right mind would do this unless they are wealthy which I am not. MCI apparently uses outsourcing and obviously does not check for integrity in their representatives. This guy who initially signed me up for the service told me anything and everything to get my business. It seems no one at MCI understands this. It seems that surely they must have some record of when I first signed up and who the person was that told me this erroneous information.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2008

I had a phone line through MCI. I moved and my roommate stayed. She changed the phone service and eventually turned that service off. She had no access to a phone line. Meanwhile, MCI has continued to charge me for over a year and has now sent my case to collections.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2008

Received notice of suspension. Called, never been late or missed a payment before. Was told we were up to date and all was fine, this after talking to four different people, two of them assured me it was a mistake. To disregard the notice. We did. Received phone message to call them, urgent. We called. Told us to pay now. We explained there was a misunderstanding. The long story told us, they didn't know who we talked to, but they were wrong. Pay now. I told them I wanted to speak to who I spoke with before or I would be making double payments. I got the number and tried to call it. It was disconnected. I was MAD. Bad credit marks on our nearly perfect score, stress, madness, ill mother, and they shut off phone for NO reason.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2008

Have 29 incidents of Directory Assistance costing me an additional $27.55 on a bill that already runs about $54.00 a month without any long distance charges or other extra activities. I don't know how the woman in Virginia pays as little as she does when we in Indiana are be soaked. MCI refuses to admit their error and to remedy the problem. Believe me, I can tell you folks some stories about billing fraud that involve phone company linemen who use their butt sets to tap your lines for long distance calls gambling that you'll never figure it out. You'll blame your kids, your relatives and other household members when those charges are due to fraud on the part of IBEW workers.

I've witnessed many of the aforementioned frauds myself. Don't believe the squirrel story. A lot of telephone failures are due to sabotage by union workers and cables not laid deep enough by illegal Mexicans. Wake up folks, your phone companies defraud you constantly and cover their tracks to avoid accountability. I am unemployed and need to keep expenses down as much as possible. When you get billed for services as I did that you know are in error and you're treated with callous disregard by some phone company manager, you want to hurt someone. Do what I did. Call your state's Utility Regulatory Commission and tell them what's going on. Then, contact your State Representative and possibly even your congressman, the FBI and possibly even the Justice Department. There is also the Federal Trade Commission. Raise some fuss!

Original review: Jan. 5, 2008

I cancelled our home service with MCI on April 11, 2007. I had a balance due and paid it. I switched our service to Comcast digital voice. I kept receiving bills from MCI. So I called MCI again. They told me they had no record of me canceling our account. I assured them that I was now using digital phone service. When MCI realized I was telling them the truth, they said that I never cancelled my daughter's teen line and that I owed them $20.00 and change. So I paid them again mainly just to get them to stop billing me. The customer service rep at MCI assured me that I would no longer receive a bill. I continued to receive bills monthly. I disregarded them, figuring they would realize their mistake. WRONG!!!

I received a letter from an attorney's office informing me that our account had been referred to their office and to send payment to them. This of course means that the bill is thirty days overdue and will be reflected on our credit report!! This can have severe consequences for us. A family of seven struggling on one income!! I am at my wits end with MCI and would tell the world of my frustrating (to say the least) encounter with MCI.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2007

MCI has been billing me for years of service I have not had. I am not one of their customers. I was at one point for a couple of months. We switched to a new service provider and they continued to bill no matter how many times I call and speak to reps. They have been ruining my credit report so I paid them $200 several years ago and recently I had to pay $900. What can I do to get rid of these people??

Original review: Nov. 28, 2007

I was a faithful subscriber to MCI land line phone for years. We, in August 07, bought separate cell phones and used them (not from MCI), and noticed our MCI bill remained the same, $93.00, so I called them to inquire WHY(?). Because we were not using their long distance service, why are we being charged when we had no long distance calls. They gave excuses that did not make sense (I think they were foreigners). We paid bill then. So I requested please to only give me BASIC service for local calls and for my computer internet, which is local. They said okay so I asked two times, "What will my bill be next month?" They said $26.00 or $28.00 so I said okay but I added, "If it is not, do not bill me. I will quit and go to another carrier."

They said okay so the next month, the bill was $89.00, a few dollars short of $93.00. I called again and strongly protested and said, "You guys broke your promise and I will pay the $40.00 only." See they doubled the $40.00 on the bill. They said we were Prorated... I do not understand that term. So I said when will they send me a bill for the $26.00 or $28.00 they promised? They said next month. Now we paid the forty dollars. They said it was okay to do so. So we paid, with the warning to them that IF THEY WERE NOT GOING TO REDUCE MY BILL, DO NOT send me a bill more than $40.00 because if they did, I was NOT GOING TO PAY because they were NOT promise. They said okay. Guess what? The next month, my bill was $93.00 so I did not pay, and changed my phone company.

Now they kept calling for the $93.00 at night, even. I explained to them what had happened and all I got was, "We're sorry but you need to pay." Then I wrote them a FORMAL PROTEST LETTER and asked them to report it to the FCC in Washington DC. They are supposed to do so by law and also told them NOT to treat this as a person who changed their phone and failed to pay the bill, or a person who just didn't want to pay on purpose. They made me feel like I'm a nobody and they set a bad example as a worldwide business and was only interested in my 93 dollars I was paying and not the interest of their customers and stringing them along with false promises, fraud, just to keep them when they want to go or threaten to go to another company. I still have not paid the bill. They threatened me to damage my credit, etc. I said, "I don't care." The only way to stop the false promises, after two months, as you see was to STOP PAYING and quit their service which I did not really want to do at the time. Sad, sad, and shame on MCI. I made a copy of their bill

Original review: Nov. 2, 2007

I purchased pre-paid calling from MCI at my local Military Base. This took place in 1999. My son was going away to college. These cards were paid for. Now I can not use them. I send an e mail to them, they were to get back to me, but has not. I have (10) of these cards left, but can not use them. I paid 25.00 per card. How Can they just take my money? These cards do not expire, only if you use the card, and then you have 1 year, but these cards are unused.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2007

I had service with MCI in 2001 (I don’t have exact dates). I canceled service when I moved. As far as I know I had paid all my bills and I never received anything stating that I had an outstanding bill. At that time I was happy with my service. In 2003, I became a customer again and I never heard anything about an outstanding bill from 01. Well now I am buying a house and I must pay this bill being that it's on my credit report. I must pay this on Thurs. 10/25/07 which is settlement date. I don't believe this bill is legit. It is for almost $150.00. I called them & got a fax number, I then faxed them explaining the situation and I left my home & work # but they never called. Please write back with what could be done or call. If I don't answer please leave message with my wife Brenda. Thank you.

Original review: July 6, 2007

In May 2006, I inadvertently sent a payment to the wrong division of MCI which I did not have an open account with. The payment was process and the money deducted from my account. After discovering the mistake, I contact MCI for a refund and was took it would take 90 days. After not receiving my refund at the end of 90 days, I again contacted MCI and was told the process time is now 120 days. A couple of months later, I contact is MCI again and was told that the payment has been process and sent to an old address.

I explained that I had not received the refund and request they put a trace on the check. I was then transferred to Priority Services and was told by a representative that a new check would be sent out to me immediately to my new address. As today, over a year later, I have not received my refund. MCI's lack of response to my requested have frustrated to the extreme. I am very angry that a large company can just take money from consumers without any consequences. I feel helpless in my attempt to collected my money from MCI and would appreciate any help or advice.

Original review: May 17, 2007

Our long distance phone service was switched to MCI in 2000 without our permission. As soon as I received the first bill and realized what happened, I called MCI and our old long distance provider. I never authorized a switch. It was taken care of and our old carrier was reinstated. I never heard any more until I ran my credit in 2005 and MCI had placed a negative for a past due amount of $90.00. I fought that and had it removed from my report. Today I received a letter from Park Dansan requesting $90.39 for collection of a past debt. Upon calling this company they said they are collecting for a past due MCI bill from 2000. When will this ever end? I never wanted to switch to MCI and I certainly did not use $90 in long distance in one billing period. How do I make this harassment stop?

Original review: May 14, 2007

MCI seems to be taking the communications out of telecommunications. I'll try to keep this short as possible. One telephone line (we use with our computer modem) was dead. I called MCI's main number and laboriously navigated through their automated menu, which suggested I try disconnecting all phones. No improvement. I called back and was put through an interminable loop, finally bursting through to a live person by repeatedly pressing zero. I could barely understand the operator and kept asking her to repeat (I'm guessing calls are routed to other countries to cut costs. If true, that's a shame. When they hire people who are not equipped to communicate clearly, that's shameful!). I was transferred to tech. support, to another operator I could barely understand. Was scheduled for a 5 pm service call.

At 3:30 MCI called to say I needed to contact local repairs for an appointment. I said I had an appointment and the operator said, "Okay, they'll be there at 10 pm." If he was trying to tell me service was delayed (no big deal) he sure had a weird way of doing so. I called MCI's main number to complain about my treatment. The operator told me the supervisor was busy and would call me back in 3-5 minutes. I gave her two numbers, including my cell. The sup. never called back, which made me feel like I'd been suckered. In the meantime, I tested the line, which I'd been testing all day, and now it worked.

I had gotten no courtesy call or knock on the door to tell me the problem was fixed. I called the main number again. The operator said, "Here's a number in case we get cut off"? I said, "But we won't get cut off!?" I was immediately connected to a supervisor, who acted sympathetic, and claimed he was writing down my complaints and would forward them to the main office (which, for all I know, exists only in cyberspace).

Original review: May 10, 2007

Over the past 6 days, I have been getting repeatedly calls twice a day (at least) from this company at this number. My phone is on the Do Not Call Registry, yet they call. I answered once to tell them, and a recorded message said that this was automated and will continue to call unless I responded by hitting 1 (I hit 2 and the message said there was an error and gave an 800 number to call). I should not have to put up with this nor should I have to do anything to stop this. I assume that other people have complained to the Do Not Call Registry as I have. I don't know where to turn now.

The damage is repeated checking of the phone caller ID (I let the answering machine take the call when I see the telephone number), getting rid of the message on the answering machine (even though none is left), and the continual harassment (especially since their own automated message said that this will continue). How can a company continue to do this????

Original review: May 8, 2007

I have been dealing with MCI's HORRIBLE & INCOMPETENT Customer Service in both us these departments for a couple of years. First of all, MCI Local and Long Distance Dept. solicited many to death so that I would even give them an opportunity to serve as my phone carrier. Still, I decided to give them a chance to prove themselves worthy of my business. That was the BIGGEST MISTAKE I have made in a long time!!!! Since day one they have made it clear that ALL they are interested in is CUSTOMER'S MONEY!! However, providing NO SERVICE AND/OR ACCOUNTABILITY FOR ANYTHING THEY DO OR DON'T DO!!!! I don't even know where to start complaining about MCI's service or lack there of. They have quickly and certainly become one of the WORST entities I have ever dealt with! In this day and age (2007), and since they like to brag on being the second largest company in the world, one would think and expect a much, much higher level of respect and service from them.

Customers have a RIGHT, per the P.U.C., to speak with a Mgr./Sup. if they request to do so. Each time, and I mean EVERY TIME, I have asked to do so, IT IS A HUGE PROBLEM!!! Most of the time, I conveniently get disconnected after that request, I have to wait an HOUR on hold, and/or I end up being transferred to a person that is just as INCOMPETENT and UNABLE TO RESOLVE AN ISSUE as the original person I was speaking with. A BIG WASTE OF MY TIME!!!! Number one, it always takes an HOUR plus for any of the reps. to even understand what my problem is. From the start of the conversation, I explain quite thoroughly what I need and they act like they don't understand English!! It is very time consuming and frustrating, to say the least, to have to deal with such incompetence whenever there is a problem...

THEY DON'T RESOLVE THE PROBLEM, THEY JUST KEEP EMPHASIZING WHAT THE PROBLEM IS, WHICH I OBVIOUSLY ALREADY KNOW OR WHY AM I CALLING YOU?? The repetitiveness MAKES ME SICK TO MY STOMACH!! I HATE TO EVEN HAVE TO CALL THEM FOR ANYTHING BECAUSE I KNOW IT IS DEFINITELY GOING TO BE A FIASCO AND GO ON FOR DAYS AND DAYS, MAYBE WEEKS!!! It may not be resolved at all if I don't have time to call everyday and sit on the phone for hours complaining and insisting on the issue. They should not even be in business and taking our money with the service they provide, or better yet, that they don't!! Who regulates these people?? They definitely need to go back to training... I understand how things run better than they do and they work for the company. And get paid to do nothing... because that is certainly what they do - NOTHING!! They get paid to apologize about everything and anything, but not to resolve or help their customers with a problem of any kind.

As long as you don't have any issue or problem and pay their HIGH CHARGES/FEES monthly, you'll be fine... as soon as you fall out of that category, KNOW THAT YOU ARE IN FOR A MAJOR HEADACHE AND A BUNCH OF TIME CONSUMING EXCUSES AND INCOMPETENCE, BUT DEFINITELY NO ACTION!!!!!!! If you are calling to make a payment, they comprehend that readily!! Other than that, EVERYTHING WITH MCI CUSTOMER SERVICE, IN BOTH OF THESE DEPTS IS A PROBLEM AND HEADACHE!!! Next, they claim that the computer systems between these two depts (MCI LOCAL AND LONG DISTANCE AND MCI MAXIMUM SECURITY DIRECT REMIT DEPT.), do not communicate with one another. Well, doggone on it they should!!!

Why in the world would a company set up another dept. within the same company but have their information not accessible by both???? To inconvenience their customers?? That's certainly all they have done and are continuing to do! If you need to make ANY CHANGES to your acct. within either of these depts, YOU THE CUSTOMER has to start faxing things and waiting through billing cycles to even receive the info/changes you need to even fax something!!! To me, THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE SERVICE!! Computer communications so on between depts is NOT MY PROBLEM AND IT SHOULD NOT BE!! They do not want to take responsibility for anything but, applying payments and when you gon' pay? I PAY MY BILL AND MY SERVICE HAS NEVER BEEN DISCONNECTED FOR NON-PAYMENT. I just want to make that clear... but, they almost HARASS you if you are 15 minutes over the due date.

In addition, the MCI MAXIMUM SECURITY DIRECT REMIT ACCOUNTS DEPT. always claim they are not MCI. Yet, their name CLEARLY appears on the bill AS MCI! The calls CLEARLY state the calls are from MCI - I don't think it gets any clearer than. THIS IS THE MCI OPERATOR AND YOU HAVE A CALL FROM.... so on and so on. Whatever they've established behind the scenes is up to them to manage it so that it does not create a problem and inconvenience for their customers. I think most would agree that this is not asking for too much from a company, certainly one as big and that has been around as long as MCI! They should have it together by now. Plus, the amount of money they want us to pay???? They need to be doing so much better than this that I can even put it into words. IT'S RIDICULOUS AND UNACCEPTABLE!!!

Additionally, I am quite offended by the attitudes displayed by the reps. that handle calls in the MCI MAXIMUM SECURITY ACCTS!! It's obvious they stereotype us because we, unfortunately, we have a loved one in prison. They talk to us with NO RESPECT AND ARE QUITE CONDESCENDING!!! They have monopolized all the institutions in California so that they can make a KILLING off of us; so we don't have a choice in this arena but, to deal with them. They realize they dominate these services and we can't get away from them, if we wanted to... Therefore, they act like they have the right to act and talk to us any way they want; and hang up on us when we call with a issue they don't want to handle!!! No one hold them accountable for any of this behavior. If they feel comfortable enough to do do it to me, they've certainly done it before and will certainly do it again! Last week, I had an issue paying my calls with this dept.; and all I wanted to do was MAKE A PAYMENT, and I was hung up on twice and I had to call the Corporate Office to get the assistance I needed.

Furthermore, I asked to speak to a Supervisor in this dept., and was told a supervisor will not take your call. By the way, this rep., Eva, was one of the ones to take the opportunity to hang up on me; because I was angry, of course and I let her know that. However, I was not using profanity. I have worked many years in Customer Service and I know what customers can say/do and what they can't. She just couldn't handle my issue and didn't want to either - because I was calling to MAKE A PAYMENT. That's all they care about! MCI and anything and anybody connected to MCI!!!!!!!!! I really don't know why they are allowed to be in business, as I stated before. THEY ARE THE WORST!!! If I could get away from them totally, it would be done so fast that they wouldn't understand it!!! That's why they hurried up and monopolized the institutional calls because they know that is sure money, because families will always support their loved ones and accept calls; so MCI knew they could and would make millions, especially when we really have no option to get these services from anywhere else.

THEY ARE SMART WHEN IT COMES TO HOW TO TAKE/MAKE MONEY FROM THEIR CUSTOMERS BUT, HAVE NO CONCEPT OF WHAT CUSTOMER SERVICE IS!!! I don't mind paying for a service, when I am getting service!! However, I do have a problem with paying for disrespect and incompetence!! That's from anywhere or anyone... yet, MCI is one of the WORST!!! I don't feel good at all giving them my hard earned money! I feel like it's really for nothing. MCI - YOU NEED TO GET ON THE BALL!!!!!!!! YOU REMAIN IN JEOPARDY OF LOSING A LOT OF BUSINESS DUE TO YOUR LACK OF ACCOUNTABILITY, RESPONSIBILITY, AND NON-ABILITY OF YOUR CUSTOMER SERVICE DEPARTMENTS, INCLUDING AND ESPECIALLY MAXIMUM SECURITY, DISRESPECTING CUSTOMERS AND INCOMPETENCE!! THEY NEED TO BE ABLE TO DO MORE THAN JUST COLLECT MONEY!!!!

That is not all CUSTOMER SERVICE is about. You should know that by now, MCI. I WOULD NEVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER REFER ANY ONE I KNOW TO MCI!!! I wouldn't care if MCI was offering their service for FREE!!! I would take my business elsewhere to a company that respects their customers and are sensitive to/in sensitive situations that they are may be handling. WE ARE THE REASON YOU ARE IN BUSINESS... AND MCI, YOU'D BETTER START REALIZING THIS BEFORE YOU ARE OUT OF BUSINESS!!! At this rate, that's where you're headed!!!!!!! You certainly wouldn't have my business if you didn't make me HAVE TO HAVE IT!! I'm sure that was by design because you know that otherwise customers would be taking their business somewhere else for sure!!! MCI IS AWFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Original review: April 30, 2007

I have a situation where telephone service is supplied as a benefit of my husband's job, but the line is in our name for listing purposes. I receive the bills, but they are passed on to a treasurer to pay them. For the month of February, I started receiving calls saying my bill had not been paid. I asked the treasurer and she said she had paid. By then I was getting calls re my March bill -- same story. Finally, on April 13, I decided I was worried about my credit rating, and I paid the bill over the phone -- $156.55 in all. On April 20, I received another phone message from MCI telling me I owed $156.55. Finally, I kept going through the phone routine and found a person who said, no, there was nothing owed, in fact I had a credit of $156.55. They had been paid twice for the same bills.

Because of my situation, I said I didn't want a credit on my account, I wanted a check for $156.55 and a written apology. I never got the apology, needless to say, and today I got a bill showing a credit to my account. So, I called this evening and the answer is that I have to call research, but that is in business hours, and I work during the day. The answer is essentially, too bad for you. We made the error, but we don't feel any great need to do anything extra to correct it. Is this because they get so many complaints that they just ignore them now? I'm angry.

Original review: March 31, 2007

About four year ago someone used my name, got a phone not on a contract but an agreement that I had no part in all printed no signature. MCI admitted they

were wrong and wiped the billing out after I put up with months of harassment. Now they have turned it into a collection place address above. I reported all of this at the time it happened to the public utilities commission. I can not understand why they are doing this to me again. And the way I am reading this letter they are going to put it on my credit report. I have good credit and want no bad marks on it. What can I do about this? I wrote them. Should I do anything else?

Original review: March 8, 2007

I have had the same phone number for 10 years - without any long distance. I use it primarily as a dial up, and I have a calling card for long distance. When I transferred my phone to a new address, MCI billed me for long distance. I specifically requested my local carrier (Qwest) NOT to have long distance. I never asked MCI to be my long distance carrier. They charged me $8.50 in May 2006. I spent an hour on the phone and they said they would remove the charges. The next month, they billed again. I again spent an hour on the phone and they said they would remove the charges. This has happened every month since May 2006. At no time has anyone given me a name or a mailing address. I realize it is just $8.50. However, I never requested this service and I do not want to be strong armed into paying just to shut them up. Now I have gotten a second collection warning for this amount.

Original review: March 6, 2007

In November of 2004 I called MCI and cancelled my long distance service. Over the next two years I called them no less than four times and told them I did not want their service and disconnect my long distance. They removed me from my plan but left their long distance hooked up. Calls were made on the 17, 18, 19 of June of 2006 and MCI charged me for those calls. I called on two different occasions and they refused to talk to me because I did not have an MCI account number. No where on the MCI bill (That comes with the AT&T bill) is there an account number. And when I never signed up for an account I would not have a copy of the account number. In other words how do I get the account number for an account I never asked for or opened. On November 9 AT&T disconnected my phone because of lack of payment on the $149.68 part of the phone bill.

I called MCI and spent about four hours going from one department to another. I was able to talk one lady into giving me the account number ** which is the MCI account number. I talked to Joe and he reduced the charges from $149.68 to $35.49. I asked how long before AT&T would know of the credits he said three weeks. I then called AT&T and paid the bill because I needed to use the phone. I called again about the first of February and asked MCI where my refund was. They said they had no record of the charges that accrued on 17, 18, and 19th of June for a total of $149.68. In fact they said the last bill they had for me was back in April. After four hours and many people later someone from MCI looked under the losses notes and found a record where Joe issued me a credit totaling $119.18, the credits were $30.05, 44.95, 40.90, 3.28. We were cut off at this time and I could not pursue it any further.

I called AT&T on the 28th of February and they said they paid the $149.68 to MCI in July of 2006. Today is 6th of March and I have just spent 4 hours on the phone with MCI and they told me every story imaginable. No one can find the actual bill or charges from the 17, 18, 19th, of June, C some of them found the credits that were issued but no one has the authority to send me a check. As I was writing this I was talking to Fred and he said I owed them $118.67 from an older bill like March or April. He was the first one to mention that. I need help.

Original review: March 6, 2007

Three months ago, I decided that what I was being charged for a long distance bill was too much. There was about $3.00 worth of long distance calls and with fees and taxes, my MCI bill was around $25.00. So, I called MCI and cancelled. I received a bill the next month, and called MCI. They apologized and credited my account, telling me that the person who took my first cancellation order was new and did not know how to correctly cancel my account. I was guaranteed that it was now cancelled. Today I received a new MCI bill. So, again I called and was told that my account could not be cancelled because I still had an 800 number active. This was news to me. I never had an 800 number with MCI. So, again I was told my account would be cancelled, in addition my phantom 800 number would be cancelled. Also I was paying $5/month since 2002 for this 800 number (...we'll see if I ever recoup any of that).

Okay, three months ago I cancelled this account. I was told that I would be receiving another bill from MCI and that I should call them when I get it. Of course, this is the third service rep that told me that. I wonder how long this will really go on. I think when you cancel a service and they say - Okay, you are cancelled - then you should be. Is this a scam? I have noticed other similar complaints on the internet. Is this a pattern of deception. I wonder how many people think that maybe they owe one more bill and actually pay these bills? Is this a calculated effort to extract money from customers on a premeditated false basis?

Original review: March 1, 2007

At the end of Nov 2006 I canceled my service with MCI. Since then I have talked to them several times about bills I am still receiving. They assured me in Jan that they had cleared up everything. But put a block on my phone. Now it is March and yet again I have received a bill from them. The bill I received in Jan was for $70.00 which I told them I should not have received because I switched to another company. That is when they put a long distance block on my phone. Which I call and they removed. This latest bill I received is only for $4.21 but I do not have service with them and I cannot understand why I still get charged for something.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2007

October 2006 we moved to a new house in a new city. We had to change our phone number, but the carrier was still Bell South. We had our account moved over to the new house. We kept everything we had (long distance) the same as before. My October bill arrived and it was the correct amount of $36.00. The November bill came and it was $410. Instead of my long distance carrier being World Com at 6 cents a minute. It was listed as MCI at $1.19 a minute. I called Bell South who told me I had to call MCI who billed them for the long distance. We have never had MCI for anything.

When I called MCI they told me I had to call another number and they told me I had to fax a letter disputing the charges. When I called a couple days later, MCI said they do not have a record of us having any account with them. Each month, I am being charged by MCI even though I have asked (by fax and phone for them to stop billing us for service that we do not have with them). They tell me that can't because they don't have a record of us. Bell South tells me they can't take the charges off that MCI is sending them, even though they don't have MCI listed on our account anywhere. This has become a nightmare. How can they get away with billing people without their permission and then blocking their service whenever they want.

My phone is constantly being shut off. Bell South tells me that it is not them putting the block on our phone, it is MCI. How can they do that to our account if they don't have us as a customer? Tonight, my phone was shut off yet again (3rd time). I have a brother that is dying of cancer that I am taking care of. I need my phone. I don't know how to stop this.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2007

MCI WAS our long distance carrier 5+ years ago. I had cancelled the service with them and my land line phone company HAS a record of the fact I have NO long distance service attached to my land line. After SBC was acquired by AT&T, lo and behold, I now have MCI billing me for calls WE DID NOT MAKE. How can I make long distance phone calls if I have no service, and I tested my phone to that effect? We called AT&T, who said we need to all MCI, which we did, only to have the biggest runaround with someone named Jim, who said the calls charged to my landline number were collect calls... No they are not and the calls are not shown as such on the billing. He said our acct with MCI was never cancelled. Told him it was, he argued with me, told him to cancel this service, again.

He continued to argue about the charges, which I continually disputed. Asked to speak with a supervisor, was disconnected. Called back and got a Michael. Explained above, he says there's no charges showing up on the account, I say, "Well that's funny, I'm looking at a bill showing charges to a number I don't recognize." Told him I wanted to cancel the cancelled service again and questioned if I was going to be charged to cancel this. He transferred me through to an automated system and rec'd a confirm # cancelling my acct. Called by land line company to block all incoming charges to my number. What kind of scam is this? MCI has been known to reactivate supposedly closed accounts and bill consumers for NOTHING.

This is one of the reasons I got rid of them to begin with several years ago. What can we do as consumers to take care of this situation?? I spent over an hour on the phone to get this issue resolved and need to continually watch my phone bill. What are the rights of us as consumers to take action against these companies??? Even though the amt. charged wasn't a large amt, think about how many consumers are being charged for services they did not set up, the many hours used to make senseless phone calls, the frustration, and lack of customer service provided, because the scam continues to put mega dollars in their pockets. Aren't there laws in place for this type of fraud?

MCI / WorldCom Company Information