3.7/5 (444 ratings)

About magicJack

magicJack Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about magicJack?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about magicJack?

Original review: Feb. 29, 2020

Moved into a new house and my current phone provider does not service that area. Wanted to keep same phone number we have had for last 15 years, so applied to port to magicJack. Was talked into “up-grading” to 3-year plan. Waiting 4 months now and no number port, service does not work, and time keeps ticking away on my subscription. Recently received and email stating that they cannot port my old number. Have tried numerous times to discuss with customer service to get a new number. Have called 4 times over the past week, waited on hold for 30-45 min and no one ever answers, get a click and am disconnected. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY with this terrible company.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2020

I have had mj for many years and until recently I had been pretty happy with how it worked. In the last few weeks I have not gotten calls or been able to make calls using the mj app on my iphone. I updated my app and now the app has less features and does not call international if your using iphone, it want to offer text messaging and will not complete calls. The contact list is different now from the iphone contact list. The service goes to voice mail. After using the online chat to try to resolve the issue I realize it has only been a waste of time, and cost me more money. I do not recommend this service.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2020

I have been a customer for MJ for more than 15 years. The service used to be good and customer care was excellent. Recently I have the worst ever experience with the technical support, customer care, and billing: it looks like the whole organization has become a mess! I have spoken with these departments more than once no solution. I have written them an e-mail and they replied and I provided the full details of my order number and purchase dates and renewal date but still, my connection is not restored. Better to try some other service. I do not recommend them at all I have wasted my three-year renewal and no service after a few days of renewal.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2020

My uncle has landline magicJack. He can call my mom on her landline phone. But when he called my cell phone, all he heard was "beep, beep, beep", then it disconnected. I call customer service, just want to ask a simple question: "Why couldn't magicjack make a call to cell phone?" The guy answers me with very loud and noisy on the background just as they are having the party. That's why he couldn't hear me and keep asking me to repeat my question. It's so hard to talk and listen to him. After repeat to him many time, he then asks me the name of the magicjack account, which I don't know because my uncle is old and don't know much about VOI phone. I don't know who ordered magicjack for him. Then he refuses to help me. Why can't he answer just a simple question which doesn't have anything to do with the name on the account?

Original review: Dec. 16, 2019

Ordered device by MJ (magicjack) adm. sales. MJ created a tracking NO. and never put the device in the mail. Called 12 days later 4 times, each time 20 or more min. Finally I got billing, called twice to billing. They finally realized the error. The device needed a smart phone and computer to operate, so I was told from chat room, I do not have a smart phone and unable to connect device. MJ told me in returning device I needed to print out a MJ return sheet, went to library because I do not have a printer. Total of costs $7.95 for shipping, $3.87 for adm fees, $4.95 to return not refundable - I have not been reimbursed for the device yet. Only buy the device from Walmart or retailers selling device to prevent major headaches.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2019

Had to cancel my account because they could not change my password. They insisted on a serial number on my magicJack which had no serial on it. It was several years old and has no serial number. So without a serial number they could not change my password and therefore could not access my account.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2019

I've been using the service for over 10 years (as memory serves). The issues I've had (dropped calls, poor call quality principally) improved with each update of the interface that I received. I still have my first unit. I've purchased a total of 3 or 4 of them to date. The latest hardware version seems to work the best of them all. My dropped call count has decreased by at least 50% (maybe higher - as memory serves) and my poor audio quality issues also have dropped. I read some of the complaints here. I am tending to believe that those issues are related to ISP's who also provide phone service and try to downgrade the performance of the magicJack interface specifically because of how it competes price-wise with their own service. This is speculation on my part, but, I believe, a plausible scenario especially in markets with a large user count (large metropolitan areas).

For the record, I live in a rural area and I believe that is why I am not seeing as much interference with service here. The market share here is low - much low income - poor economic conditions. ISP's would harm their income up here if they played the interference game (In my opinion). That's it. For now, I'm sticking to magicjack because anything else is outside my budget (or outside of what I want to pay for a "landline"). Landline pricing is excessive here (and probably anywhere else). Telecommunications providers what folks to go wireless so that they can save the infrastructure maintenance costs. For the record, I used to work in telecommunications in the manufacturing side. Have had a fair amount of exposure to the vendors who bought our products from an engineering support mode.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2019

I have been a Loyal customer of this company for 7 years. I renewed the service many times even though the sound quality of the calls was TERRIBLE. I just auto -renewed the app for 10$ / year as a a Stand Alone App. All of the sudden the service just ended and it couldnt be renewed. I called and asked to renew it and 4 different people answered on Customer Service and Billing. It was the WORST EXPERIENCE EVER. Nobody was helpful. They now FORCE you to buy a device now in order for it to work. So in order to keep my existing phone number I was willing to buy the device (Even though I dont Need it). But they said the device was going to be mailed in 7 days.

I dont live currently in the USA. In order for that device to reach my home It takes 3 more weeks. So I cant use the phone number for 1 month which is of course upsetting. They should have sent a courtesy email informing the customer about this. THEY DIDNT send any warning about it. I asked if I pay the device today can they keep my phone working while the device arrives. They say NO. They did not offer any solutions. I spoke to Billing and Supervisors, Customer Service people, General tone of the employees was Uninterested in keeping the customer.

Terrible Terrible, Frustrating, Upsetting Worst Experience ever in my life on a customer service call. They just did not care in solving the issue, they did not offer a solution, they did not show any interest in keeping the customer. If the Owners of the company really knew how harmful this is to business. The Internet is mostly free and calling solutions are readily available all over. I cant believe this company has the guts to not care for their customers. I hate the way they treated me today. I would not recommend this company or service to anyone!

Original review: Nov. 18, 2019

I was just on chat with MagicJack because they don't have phone support. It was one of the worst/most frustrating Tech support experiences I have ever had. I believe it was deliberate in order for the consumer (me) to pay for their new "Concierge Service" at $14.99 USD. I still do not have phone service and since everything is working just have to believe this is deliberate. The chat support person kept assuring me that she wanted to help and thanked me for my patience but suggested nothing. When she would ask an inane, irrelevant question and I would answer immediately, she took 6 or 7 minutes to reply between answers. When I asked whether she was working with someone else online, she said "No." I had waited almost 15 minutes just to begin our chat. We will not be renewing our MJ service for sure. Actually, there is nothing to renew because the phone service still isn't working.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2019

I recently renewed my service in Aug 2019. I been with this company for a few years and had so so in service for it's hard sometimes to get help when you need it either going through their troubleshooting process or trying to get real help. Anyway my wife had to make a lot of calls in October due to the election and then our service stopped without notification. I called Nov 12th to see what's up and they said they no longer wanted me as a customer. I said, "Fine. Send my renewal money back." They declined and gave no reason. So I am out 60 dollars. If you're looking for a cheap phone service with this company I would say go somewhere else. They are not worth the headache.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2019

Although they advertise on their website 24/7 support no one answers the phone nor returns calls. My device Magicjack Go was giving me error and I followed all the instruction from their website to fix the error with no luck. Called their support few times a day and they ask you to leave a message but no one returns calls. Finally I was able to get someone and he wanted to get a computer first to help me.

Second call he kept me online for 45 minutes and said he cannot help me, I need to have a computer. I asked to get a replacement device. He said I have to purchase it, so I asked to get a refund for the remaining prepaid minutes worth $40 and the rest of my membership but he apologized and said he cannot do that. I asked to be transferred to a supervisor but he transferred/hung up on me. Called again. They hung up on me again. Called again. Got yelled at and hung up again. Called again. They said, "Leave a number. We will call you back" and it has been two days and still waiting.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2019

First of all I would like to say that in order to resolve this I had to purchase Concierge Services so that I could speak to a live person. I bought 2 magicJack devices and then ported over 2 numbers to my phones from AT&T as we are headed out of the country. The issue was that every time you activated one phone and device on the web the other phone would disconnect from WiFi. It took almost 4 hours before MagicJack resolved my issue. First you should not have to pay 15 dollars to get a live person. Secondly, when you tell people that what they want you to do (erase magicApp) will cause them to lose the connection, and ask them to call you back, they should do it. Surely customer satisfaction is not even a remote consideration.

I was at a complete wit's end doing the same thing over and over. It was only after a tech support person named Billy came to my assistance did we resolve the issue in 5 minutes. Billy is superior in all manner of things related to magicjack. All the others are merely useless people who read from Cue cards. If I need anything further from magicjack I will absolutely consider dumping them all together and go with another service provider. If it were not for Billy, this rating would have been a weak 1 and no more. MagicJack, your customer service is shameful. I can't ever figure out how you're still in business after the terrible service I received today

Original review: Oct. 24, 2019

The moment you paid your money to magicJack you are in trouble. Avoid at all cost! It could work a week or a month. And then it stops and no help will be available. I used several devices for 8 years. Every year the service was declining. It simply does not work anymore!

Original review: Oct. 12, 2019

Noise online is terrible. Called customer service to troubleshoot the problem. Agent told me to replace power adapter and paid for shipping. It was "free." I have now replaced power adapter twice and Ethernet cable and telephone cable as well. Noise online is still so bad that phone is basically unusable. I basically am forced to use the "call forwarding" feature at all times. I forward to my cell and calls are always crystal clear. I paid for five years of service so there is no point of getting rid of it as they tell me no refunds. I have yet to replace the MJ adapter, but would have to pay for a brand new one as the old one is not warranted. Do not recommend this service to anyone. DO NOT PURCHASE. I am not a novice technically. I service IT systems. This system simply does not work with any clarity. My Internet speed is 50 Mbs down and 10 Mbs up. That isn't the issue.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2019

I have had Magic Jack past several years and have been using their app also for a couple of years. I always recharge my international minutes to use while travelling. Before I traveled this time too I recharged for 14.99 $ and it dint go thru. I tried a second time thru the app and it went thru for $4.99. But a few days later I saw my card was charged for 14.99 also. I called their customer service which was of no help. I called my bank and reversed the charges for which they got upset and restricted my account as well as withdrew the 4.00 + $ credit I had and left me stranded in a different country. I again called customer service and they said I had used all my credit but they did not have any call details for approx the $20 credits. And now they are asking additional $25 to reinstate my account. RIPOFFS!! Scammers. That is how they make their money. Advise customers NOT to buy their service and not to recharge for international minutes too.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2019

No verbal customer service or 24/7 online help. I just renewed my MJ for 1 yr. Thankfully not 3-5 yrs. I am not tech savvy so I need to verbally speak with someone. I had emailed back and forth 5 times, at about 30 minutes a crack (2-3hrs) and they still didn't fix the problem. I even thought of bringing it to Best Buy's Geek Squad at the price of $40.00. One of my siblings has a MJ also and said to bring it over to troubleshoot. I went back home tried to remember everything that their MJ said and looked like and fixed it myself. Simple one button switch and the customer service could not even figure it out. What a pain....done with MJ.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2019

Only way to reach them is online chat. They charged for International service, but unable to make calls. Chatted with an agent, that after 15 minutes said the issue was being elevated and they would get back to me. Never happened.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2019

I was cleaning out a drawer and came across our old MagicJack device. We went back to cable in 2016 after 2 years of using the MagicJack because of all the add-ons like paying for 9-1-1 and for customer service when needed. I decided you might be inexpensive, but they get you on the other end but for a college student, this might just be the ticket so I called to see if it would work. The operator told me the only way to try would be to set it up like I was becoming a customer again. I provided him with all the information he requested and was told for a dollar fee, they would verify the credit card information and then would test the equipment. I agreed to a dollar fee.

The device wouldn't work so he then proceeded to see if I wanted to buy a new unit for $59.95 with a year's free service. I told him no thanks and we ended the call. The next day I looked at my bank statement just to make sure only a dollar had been charged and instead I found where I was billed the full year's cost with taxes and fees of over 43 dollars plus the transfer fee to port my number and set up of the account of over 23 dollars. I called to tell them I didn't order it and to remove the charges and was told it's too late, my phone number was being ported to MagicJack. I asked for a full refund and for them to stop the port forward and was told they couldn't. Asked to speak to a Supervisor and was given to someone that sounded a lot like the operator I had earlier.

Needless to say, at this point I thought well maybe I'll let it go through if they can get it to work so I asked for technical support. I was told that's only for concierge level service and would I like to become a concierge patron for $19.95. At this point I was ready to crawl through the phone and kill a call room full of people jerking me around. It became apparent all they do is upsell you and try to get you to spend more and more money. I again asked to speak to another supervisor but wanted one from the United States since I knew they were based in Florida.

Again, I was routed to another person with an accent posing to be here in the U.S. and was just told no, we can't do that and no, you can't have your money back over and over again. I hung up the phone, called the bank and told them I was scammed and to reverse those charges from MagicJack. I then called my phone company and told them under no circumstance were they to port forward my phone to MagicJack. Unfortunately, even though I called them they did anyway a few days later and I'm still without phone service 6 days later. I hope it's turned back on Monday.

The bank still hasn't reversed the charges either but I was told it could take up to 5 business days on Tuesday so hopefully Monday they'll be reversed as well. Steer clear of these people as in my opinion, they are currently running a scam and no longer are a legitimate business. If they are, they seriously need to rethink their call bank because the people are rude and refuse to help you in any way.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2019

I am so angry about this product. It never worked consistently and I missed a couple of REALLY IMPORTANT faxed documents from my lawyer regarding a property purchase. So this crappy device has cost me. Their "help" predictably suggests unplugging the power and letting it reset. Well, even that does not work every time. I really hope this company goes out of business... But what are we consumers supposed to do with a product that never worked?

Original review: Sept. 17, 2019

I have had my Magic Jack for 5 years and it is up for renewal. I logged in my account and they do not have a CANCEL ACCOUNT on their site. I tried the live chat and got SYSTEM MESSAGE: We need to verify additional account information to assist with billing related inquiries. Please call 1-800-624-4252 and select Billing (option 3) from the main menu. Customer Care representatives are available Monday through Friday, from 9AM to 7PM Eastern Time. *** This window will automatically close momentarily. I called and got a message they would call me back. That has been over a half hour ago. THIS IS RIDICULOUS! I don't know why anyone would sign up for service with them with this type of CUSTOMER NON SERVICE!!!

Original review: Sept. 8, 2019

I've been a customer of this company for years. After I got recommended to buy a new device, I decided to put some money for a better product, I've received the device but had an issue to make it work. I call the number on the booklet provided but was told that I need to pay additional money to get help to troubleshoot the problem. The guy who called himself John refused to my request to speak to the manager. He was rude and unwilling to help. After minutes of useless talk I talked to someone who pretended to be his manager by name Brain with exactly the same voice and accent and same treatment. The call ended with no result. I feel very angry for the way this company treated me being their customers for many years. This absolutely unacceptable.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2019

MagicJack stopped ringing. Customer service doesn't want to fix issue and 2nd level support does not contact as promised. Terrible support. My MagicJack phone stopped ringing. I can make outbound calls, but it will not ring. Contacted Magic Jack support and even purchased new device to fix issue but nothing works. Was on hold for Customer Support over 1 hour and tech "hung up" on me because I told them my other MagicJack device at the same location was working properly on the same network. The tech said it was an Internet issue, when I asked how he came to this absurd assumption and I explained that I spent over an hour troubleshooting and I am a network technician. The tech got snippy with me and literally hung up. I called back and had to wait another hour before I was connected to another tech. This second tech was not able to fix issue.

I contacted support through CHAT and was on the chat for almost 3 hours and still did not get a resolution. It's obvious that either the device is bad (which I don't believe) because I purchased another new one and got the same result or MagicJack has made changes to my account that forces my incoming calls directly to voicemail. Overall their support is staffed with un-knowledgeable people and their Concierge Service for rapid customer support, which is an extra price has a working phone number but the option prompts do not accept your input and it keeps repeat to call back the support number, which is the same number I am calling. Overall, this company should be fined heavily for their inability to provide the service they promised. I have had problems with them double billing me in the past and was never refunded any money for the double billing. This company is NOT REPUTABLE and they should be fined and or sued for these issues.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2019

A year ago I sent Consumer Affairs a glowing review about magicJack. I ignored the terrible reviews when they had a problem. Well now I am REVOKING that review. The service worked fine until the day I sent them the $89 for their 3 year discount service. THE NEXT DAY no calls could get through! The caller gets a message that the number has not been assigned to a customer! I got on line and with others that are having the same problem. Customer service has no idea what the solution to the problem!

No way to call the office, you can only sign up to chat which I did and spent an entire day working with them. Got online and found EVERYONE is having the same problem, but the techs go through their SCRIPT and act as though they have never heard of that problem! It sounds like they have a very good collection service to get your money but a system that works on a bunch of 10 year old Commodore, 65 computers that runs the system with a computer repair man that is out on Holiday for a month? The people that SCREAMED about the terrible customer service were RIGHT! I should have listened to them!!!!

Original review: Sept. 5, 2019

Customer service is horrible as many people have said and wait until you ever try to cancel their service. I am constantly getting bill notifications for 911 service charge though I haven't had this phone number for a while and they say they can't cancel it. They push it off on having to call your local municipality which good luck on that because they have no clue either. Guy was obnoxious and foreign I talked to so not only could I barely understand him but he was rude too. STAY AWAY!

Original review: Sept. 4, 2019

This company is horrible to deal with, nothing like they used to be. I signed up for Concierge service, $14.99+tax ($17.33)) which entitled me to a replacement adapter for $17.95+shipping & tax. They shipped an adapter and charged me 39.95+shipping, tax and administration fee. ($55.43) That is supposed to include a year service that they don't give me until my remaining 1 year 2 months is expired. I'm sure in November of 2020 they will do that! So, I'm on the hook for a total of $72.76 for something that should have cost me about $25 with the shipping and tax. As soon as I got the email with the prices on it, I tried to call. Was on hold for 2 hours and they cut me off. After 3 more holding calls, the girl told me that I didn't call sooner after receiving the email. Stay away from this MagicJack!!!!

Original review: Sept. 4, 2019

PLEASE READ BEFORE PURCHASING A MAGICJACK! This is the worst customer service I have ever experienced. I can't call them directly because the unit is not working. It was the most frustrating experience ever! The customer service was appalling. The agents were not able to grasp the fact that we could not call in. We had to get a friend to patch us through via her phone. After 5 days and being on hold for at least 5 hours, they did NOTHING. They overcharged us and basically told us they would not give us a refund. So, if I contact my credit card company, MagicJack will just cut off our service. Once they have you as a customer, they don't provide even the most basic of support. Time to look for another provider.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2019

God help you if you don't recall the email you activated your service under. Without it, you can't do anything...including resetting your account password and when you contact their customer service, they won't help without your email address, but they will take your renewal using your credit card. They take your money but send all communication to that original email address (which you can't access because you don't remember what it is), including the email you use for verification. What a stupid system and their chat is useless too because they want that original email. Good luck getting any money back as well. I'm going to try their sales numbers to see about getting my CC credited, then smashing this POS with a hammer and throwing it in the trash! Your local telephone company has better service than these maggots and that is saying something!

Original review: Aug. 9, 2019

If ZERO was a choice that is what I would rate them. They take your money and then never will speak to you again. When it doesn't work (which it NEVER does) you will only be allowed to CHAT with someone online. They will make you crawl under your desk and unplug it, then plug it back in then unplug it. Then have you plug it into your computer, it still won't work and they will never get it to work. There is either noise on the line, you have no dial tone, you have a dial tone but can't dial a number or worse, you finally get it to make a call and all the person on the other end hears is constant beeping, they say as if you are hitting the buttons on the phone. They only blame your internet provider even when there is no packet loss. Oh and the chats, they will keep you on the phone for an hour or more and not solve anything. Colossal waste of time and money.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2019

Awful service. We got the magicJack and the texting did not work on the app. We returned it and there was a problem with the Canadian mail, so it was returned back to us. We spoke to the customer representative and they said they would refund us, so we returned it. Then they would not give us our money back. We sat on hold for hours, literally hours and they would not connect us to a manager to speak with. If they say they have recordings of our conversations, then they should be able to hear THEIR customer representative saying that they would refund us. Terrible company. Texting does not work. Terrible service. Do not waste a moment of your precious time. If I could give 0 stars, I would.

Original review: July 29, 2019

Don't be conned. My MJ go worked for 7 months and then started to drop calls; MJ refused to replace; wanted me to pay $14 for replacement even though device is under the warranty period. I called MJ and had the run around; after 3 attempts I pressed sales and got connected immediately but not tech support.

magicJack Company Information