Find a VoIP Providers partner

Start receiving calls today

Manage Your Business Phone System with Dash from VirtualPBX

Get started

magicJack Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about magicJack?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about magicJack?

Original review: April 2, 2021

Waste, nightmare, frustration, terror. Don't even think about it - run. They are closing the service in 2021. The WORST VOIP provider. If you want to save money you will waste much more, get frustrated, mad, and regret that you got involved with magicJack. RUN.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2021

I've been surprise to see charges for magicJack service renewal after 2 years of it inactive status... Phone number was not assigned for the my account for a while, account looks totally dead and, out of the blue, charge for the RENEWAL??? I called MagicJack, spent 30min on a phone with a rep with no results of refund those charge back to me... He refused to connect me to anyone who's able to solve a problem. I got "escalation" ID with no promises that money will be refunded or even that dead service will be cancelled... Not sure how this company is still in business...

Original review: Jan. 29, 2021

They should have 0 stars, they are a thief and scammers, don't even think of buying anything from them, they charged me for the same phone number, the same address twice 95$. After waiting for customer service for 45 minutes, they said, "Ohh we don't give any money back," regardless if they steal it or not, and guess what if you have any problem with the phone, you and you're own, no technical support to answer your question or figures out what's happening with you phone. I had to go through my bank to dispute the charge. And threw away their devices, cause I would never want to use a scammer or deal with thieves, please take my advice and stay away from them.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2021

I used magicJack for many years but eventually no longer needed the service. I worked with MagicJack's process to cancel my account (prepaid for three years and no refund). Shortly after I performed this task I started to receive 3-4 second voicemails from MagicJack in my email inbox. My account online (though canceled) still existed and I was required to use it to work with Customer Support. They need my exact name and not the common short version of it which was irritating. I had to wait several times for them to chat with me, but when I had a brief delay in responding to them, they canceled the chat session - rude. My account indicates my voicemail is turned OFF, but I continue to get voicemails sent to me by a disabled account, with settings in the OFF position. There are no options for me to remove my contact information (such as my email address).

Original review: Jan. 26, 2021

Went online. Googled magicJack Canada.. Paid 10$ extra for Canadian phone no. Think all this in Canadian dollars.. Got an alert from credit card company that this is USD transaction. Called Magicjack to cancel the order.. They would not do it. Only thing is after I receive it I have to work hard to submit an RMA to return it. Please be careful. They are very deceptive.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2021

I have used Magicjack off and on for about 10 years with mixed results. Most recently I have had the worst experience. About a year ago I decided to stop using due to very poor reception in my area. When I moved I decided to plug back in the equipment and renew my account and port my phone number. The reception was awful. I am a senior and need for people to hear me on the phone. I discovered that my internet service did not have enough upload to operate the Magicjack service. No worries, their website says there is a 30-day guarantee or my money back. I called customer service and waited on hold for over 20 minutes.

The agent did not speak clear English and sounded Chinese. She said she could not give me a refund or at least that is what I think she said. I called a week later, waited on hold for 15 minutes and spoke to another agent that spoke better English but also sounded Chinese, he told me that the refund applied ONLY to new equipment purchase. Interestingly, if I had taken my two-year-old equipment and thrown it in the trash, ordered new equipment with the one year service I would have been given a refund. Nothing is mentioned about this on their website or as you sign up for service. While I applaud the idea of lower phone services this one doesn't play fair. Beware of the picky rules before you sign up and I believe this is a Chinese owned company.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2020

I ordered MagicJack on Nov 26th 2020. They charged next day money from my credit card. I got a mail that..., item delivered. I contact MagicJack people. (If you need to contact them, cancel all your tasks, need to prepare at least half a day. Getting representative, verification, understanding our problem etc). After talking to representative, he can't solve my problem. He suggested to contact UPS, USPS everyone in the world. (I already contacted them, they were not able to trace the device). I requested him to send another device, as I already waited nearly 3 weeks. If I receive 2 devices, I will return one device. But he said, he can't. Finally I did stop payment. I face so many problems, before getting device itself. Imagine after getting device.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2020

I purchased my magicJack on 11-08-20. I looked at the tracking on 11-14-20 which told me it was delivered. I had my daughter go to her mailbox and check. It wasn't there. So we waited till the 17th to see if it was scanned incorrectly. It never appeared. I called magicjack cs who told me to contact UPS. Ups scanned it to USPS who was supposed to deliver the package. I contacted USPS who told me the packaged was delivered because it was scanned as delivered. When I asked why didn't the package show up on the informed mail, the supervisor at USPS told me they must didn't deliver it. She then put me on hold. Came back to the phone and told me she was going to investigate it.

I waited 10 days for her to call me, she never did. So I called her back. She told me that the carrier was tracked to the location and the package was delivered. I asked again about why it didn't show up on informed mail. She told me it was because the package didn't go through downtown. She then told me she sent the carrier back to check the mailbox. She asked me if my neighbors could have gotten it. She then informed me that there was nothing I could do because the package was not insured.

I called magicjack and told them what she told me. They kept telling me they was sorry this happened and then kept telling me I needed to contact USPS. They then told me that they wasn't responsible for the magicjack after they ship it. So basically they wasn't going to refund me my money or replace the magicjack. I insisted on speaking to a manager. After about 10 minutes someone came on the phone. They told me the same thing. They are sorry this happened, I should have gotten the service agreement informing me they wouldn't be responsible for the product once shipped. I didn't any agreement I ordered it online. Then I was told I could contact them via email to see if they would ship a replacement. If you're going to buy magicjack I wouldn't recommend getting it from them.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2020

I connected the MagicJack to my router and to a phone jack in my house after completing the set-up on my PC (with unit in a USB port). Could make calls just fine, but unit blocked incoming calls. Talked with technical support and thought I had problem solved with unit in USB. Reconnected to house jack, incoming calls were still/again blocked. Got more help from another tech support via their chat option. By trial & error I stumbled upon cause: too many extensions for the unit to power. I found this by disconnecting all 6 and reconnecting 1 by 1. First 5 were fine; #6 caused blocked call. Did not need to change anything in my modem/router. For anyone in an older home with multiple phone jacks and extensions, I recommend this method to see if you can fix the blocked call problem!

Original review: Oct. 12, 2020

Okay, let's start by understanding that this is $39.00 / year unlimited phone service with a fairly generous feature set, so the four stars should be considered in that context. To make this device work well, you have to tweak your router or switch settings. If you just buy a magicJack and plug it into your router, your voice quality is likely to be scratchy and you're likely to have a lot of disconnects. But if you take some time to properly prioritize the device in the router or managed switch, you'll find that both the voice quality and the reliability improve.

Better routers and managed switched usually have a setting called something like "VoIP mode" or "Auto VoIP" that will automatically do this for you. Typically you just have to tell the router that the device is a VoIP phone, and it will do the rest. What it does, in a nutshell, is prioritize the VoIP device's traffic ahead of all non-VoIP devices on the LAN. Most also have some sort of mechanism to deal with malformed packets in ways that won't break the connection. If your router or switch has no such setting, look for something called "Quality of Service," "QoS," or "Traffic Shaping" in the router or switch, identify the mJ device, and give it the highest priority. It doesn't need a lot of bandwidth -- 256k is much more than enough -- must it needs the highest traffic priority if you expect it to work well.

With VoIP prioritization, I almost never experience dropped calls on any of my magicJacks. I think I've experienced one dropped call in the past year, and that was to a government agency: so it's possible that they just hung up on me. As for the sound quality, though not exactly "crystal clear," with proper prioritization and sufficient bandwidth (again, 256K is more than enough), the sound isn't much worse than that of a standard POTS line. It's even clearer when using the Android app. In fact, the reason I didn't give mJ five stars (again, in the context of its extremely low price) has nothing to do with the device itself. It has to do with the less-than-wonderful customer service. If you get an answer at all once you open a ticket, it will probably be days later unless you splurge on the "concierge" add-on. So if you're considering buying a mJ, understand that the support will range from mediocre to horrid.

But I digress. When evaluating the user experience with the device and service itself, it helps to have realistic expectations. A year of mJ service costs less than a month of a typical prepaid mobile phone plan, and much less than a month of any POTS service I've had in the past 40 or so years. Expecting it to sound just as good as a service that costs 12+ times as much is simply unrealistic.

That being said, I've been using mJ devices since 2007, and the quality of the device and service has improved quite a bit. (The quality of customer service and support, not so much.) I've been using mJ as my primary "landline" number for more than 10 years, and I recently ported over one of my mobile numbers to a second mJ when I found I had bad signal with the mobile carrier after a move. Using mJ, the number works fine at home connected to the router; and with the Android app, I can still use it over WiFi or wherever I have any sort of Internet connection (including mobile data). In summary, before you trash mJ, configure your router properly for VoIP. You'll be stunned how much of a difference it makes. It can make this $39.00 / year service work at least as well and as reliably as the average mobile phone connection costing 12 times or more its price.

magicJack Company Information