2.2/5 (1300 ratings)

About magicJack

magicJack Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about magicJack?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about magicJack?

Original review: Feb. 18, 2022

I've been a magicJack customer for almost 15 years. I've even given them good reviews in the past. But no more. Last summer I spent a lot of money to get international calling credit, but after little use it disappeared before the end of the year. I contacted a customer service agent who said that minutes expire after 6 months. I explained that this has never happened in all of the years that I've been with them and that I had no doubt missed the new fine print alert. Who reads the fine print every time you top up minutes? I spent lots of time trying to get to a supervisor, but that was such a pain that I finally settled for an offer they eventually offered me, which was to plead my case via email. No luck there. Not the slightest bit of forgiveness. Count me a previously satisfied but now a very disappointed customer.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2022

They cut off my service 6 months earlier instead of 1 year!! I have been with them for 5 years and every year they want their money 30 days before it's due with their annoying recording renewing membership messages so I have to pay 1 more month each year!!! And each time I have to call them to stop their message!! Now after 6 months they decide to cut my phone line when my membership is still good!!! They want their money 6 months in advance now??!! No way to reach anyone. There is no service!! No one to help and bugs on the website too!! So billing errors and also website bugs!!! So angry I have no phone to open the door downstairs because I need a fix line to open the building door!!! Cheap price and garbage cheap service!!!

Original review: Nov. 15, 2021

I paid for MagicJack service. There’s no support. Paid approx $49. Received nothing back. Do not support these scammers. 100% fraud. This service was good 5 years ago but now it has gone down the drain. It is not the magicJack that was good before. I will have bank reverse this transaction immediately. I’m so disappointed.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2021

Paid for phone device and the port charge. Could not get the device to work. Chatted with their support team since they offer no phone support. They could not get the device to work. Returned their device for a refund. Would not refund port charges and when I tried to port my number to NetTalk, they said I would need to reactivate the device I had already returned and pay for service again.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2021

Magic Jack cheating, stealing your $! Bad poor connection quality if you're lucky to get connected, NO CUSTOMER SERVICE BY PHONE. Only when you pay extra! Typing to customer service - they give you the "run around" and they disconnect the chat! NOT RECOMMENDED TO NO ONE! SAVE YOUR MONEY. GET A REPUTABLE COMPANY. NOT CROOKS!

Original review: Sept. 15, 2021

No customer service, called when jack went out, they hung up on me. Still not working, total waste of money. Have been a customer for a long time and they offered no help when service went out. Will NOT BE RENEWING IN THE FUTURE.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2021

Have been a customer for years, in June had problems with magicjack. Called tech support. After 2hr not working, he stated had to buy new unit, maybe updates who knows, ordered new unit, went into my office and to my surprise magicjack working, called magicjack less than 2hr later, magicjack customer service representative said could NOT cancel order, upon receiving unit promptly wrote "return to sender". Checked with cc for credit. No credit. Started dispute, magicjack sent email stating restrictions on my account. Now in order to use magicjack they want $25 reinstatement fee all for disputing charge of $38.48.

As of today 1st call 2min 49sec disconnected, 2nd call 3min 32sec disconnected, 3rd call 10min 26sec representative hung up, 4th call 24min 33sec representative stated received unit back but could not email me info, I had to email them. I've used magicjack for years and still good to June of 2025 but can't use it. This company has turned into a customer rip-off company. It's not the money it's the principle this company has going bad, I can't use my magicjack that I paid for, just hope this will help others and bad customer service of magicjack.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2021

Anyone who still has a house phone is more than likely old. I paid for a magicJack. Never received service and they refuse to refund me. I have made several calls. They hang up on me. They give you the run around. They are even disputed it with my credit card com. Do not bother with them. The customer service is a joke.

Original review: July 27, 2021

I recently purchased MJ Home to 'upgrade' from my MJ Express. MJ Home is described in its advertising that you can use MJ at an electrical outlet and that a computer is not necessary. This in fact is true. However, what it DOES NOT tell you is that you lose the function of the dialpad (with contacts and voicemail notifications) which is a major part of this product. I contacted MJ support to ask why my dialpad is no longer available with MJ Home. They informed me that the MJ device needs to be 'plugged in to the computer' for the dialpad to be visible. But wait! I purchased this product (MJ Home) to be used at an outlet. Now they tell me that the 'only way' to see (and use) the dialpad is if this device is plugged into the computer. I really wish they would tell you this information in it's description. MJ Home is NOT an upgrade... It in fact is a DOWNGRADE because you lose a major function...the dialpad. I will NOT be renewing this product.

Original review: July 6, 2021

Do not expect to receive any technical support. You can speak to someone in sales within minutes, but you will NEVER speak to their technical support. It is ONLY a chat box, and you cannot even send screenshots. After 4 months of issues, this was what I finally found out: "By the way, if you want to speak to a technical support via phone call, please do contact our Concierge Department or Premium Technical Support but you need a Concierge Subscription for you to be able to talk to them." The cost: "Concierge Subscription will cost $14.99 plus applicable taxes and fees for one year." This is information that they should tell you when you sign up.

Original review: July 2, 2021

I was using Magic Jack for many years, but this time I had to drop it. My device stopped working properly, and customer service doesn't help at all. They have a useless chat system that provides a phone number to call, and this phone takes the customer back to chat again. It may be the cheapest VoIP, but it is very risky. They locked the auto-renewal of my credit card, and I was not able to turn it off. Finally, I have to close the account. I won't use this phone service anymore.

Original review: June 2, 2021

I've had several magicJacks over the years, and boy has things changed! My chief complaint is that there no longer any customer service support! I'm talking about LIVE AGENTS THAT YOU SPEAK WITH to help you with Technical difficulties. But instead they opt to CHAT with customers. As a BUSY AMERICAN I will not devote my time to endless questions typing my time away as I'm already frustrated with having a device that won't work! I CAN SHOW YOU BETTER THAN I CAN TELL YOU! THAT'S RIGHT, I TOOK THAT P.O.S. BACK TO THE MERCHANT!

Original review: May 4, 2021

I've been a customer for this One-man Show Business for years, May 2020 I made the mistake to purchase extra magicJack Concierge for $16.34, something I didn't know and will not use, I asked for a refund, they refused, I disputed these extra charges with my C.C bank, and used their service for one year up to May 5, 2021, a month ago they email me to renew and I HAD TO PAY $25+Taxes extra for the "Damages" that I caused them last year for the dispute of $16.34, which I agreed in order to unlock my account for renewing,, NOW, For the last 34 days and 13 Emails and 9 hours on the phone spoke to 11 people. NO ONE could solve the problem to unlock my account even with my authorization to charge my account for this extra $25 Taxes, I think this business is running by one man who doesn't give a ** and all the employees are unqualified to solve any problem.

For 3 weeks I heard the same ** that, "We "ESCALATED" the case to a higher level of review," Nonsense excuses, you try to talk to a Supervisor, or a Manager, They Have NONE,, No one, and the frustration of waiting and ** rain of apologies which get you nowhere is they must.. It is a long nightmare, and I wrote a post on their Facebook page, the answer is the same stupidity for 34 days between Sale Dept,, Technical Support Dept And ** online conversation with Aliens who works for a Ponzi business..I'm Literally Sick and Tired of these idiots..They Must Close Down this Bizarre Business for the sake of dignity and respect for consumers..

Original review: April 21, 2021

I used M J for years, equipment failed, purchased new equipment. Having difficulty retaining my phone number and there is NO SUPPORT from M J. I would not recommend M J due to lack of any real customer support.

Original review: April 2, 2021

Waste, nightmare, frustration, terror. Don't even think about it - run. They are closing the service in 2021. The WORST VOIP provider. If you want to save money you will waste much more, get frustrated, mad, and regret that you got involved with magicJack. RUN.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2021

I've been surprise to see charges for magicJack service renewal after 2 years of it inactive status... Phone number was not assigned for the my account for a while, account looks totally dead and, out of the blue, charge for the RENEWAL??? I called MagicJack, spent 30min on a phone with a rep with no results of refund those charge back to me... He refused to connect me to anyone who's able to solve a problem. I got "escalation" ID with no promises that money will be refunded or even that dead service will be cancelled... Not sure how this company is still in business...

Original review: Jan. 29, 2021

They should have 0 stars, they are a thief and scammers, don't even think of buying anything from them, they charged me for the same phone number, the same address twice 95$. After waiting for customer service for 45 minutes, they said, "Ohh we don't give any money back," regardless if they steal it or not, and guess what if you have any problem with the phone, you and you're own, no technical support to answer your question or figures out what's happening with you phone. I had to go through my bank to dispute the charge. And threw away their devices, cause I would never want to use a scammer or deal with thieves, please take my advice and stay away from them.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2021

I used magicJack for many years but eventually no longer needed the service. I worked with MagicJack's process to cancel my account (prepaid for three years and no refund). Shortly after I performed this task I started to receive 3-4 second voicemails from MagicJack in my email inbox. My account online (though canceled) still existed and I was required to use it to work with Customer Support. They need my exact name and not the common short version of it which was irritating. I had to wait several times for them to chat with me, but when I had a brief delay in responding to them, they canceled the chat session - rude. My account indicates my voicemail is turned OFF, but I continue to get voicemails sent to me by a disabled account, with settings in the OFF position. There are no options for me to remove my contact information (such as my email address).

Original review: Jan. 26, 2021

Went online. Googled magicJack Canada.. Paid 10$ extra for Canadian phone no. Think all this in Canadian dollars.. Got an alert from credit card company that this is USD transaction. Called Magicjack to cancel the order.. They would not do it. Only thing is after I receive it I have to work hard to submit an RMA to return it. Please be careful. They are very deceptive.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2021

I have used Magicjack off and on for about 10 years with mixed results. Most recently I have had the worst experience. About a year ago I decided to stop using due to very poor reception in my area. When I moved I decided to plug back in the equipment and renew my account and port my phone number. The reception was awful. I am a senior and need for people to hear me on the phone. I discovered that my internet service did not have enough upload to operate the Magicjack service. No worries, their website says there is a 30-day guarantee or my money back. I called customer service and waited on hold for over 20 minutes.

The agent did not speak clear English and sounded Chinese. She said she could not give me a refund or at least that is what I think she said. I called a week later, waited on hold for 15 minutes and spoke to another agent that spoke better English but also sounded Chinese, he told me that the refund applied ONLY to new equipment purchase. Interestingly, if I had taken my two-year-old equipment and thrown it in the trash, ordered new equipment with the one year service I would have been given a refund. Nothing is mentioned about this on their website or as you sign up for service. While I applaud the idea of lower phone services this one doesn't play fair. Beware of the picky rules before you sign up and I believe this is a Chinese owned company.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2020

I ordered MagicJack on Nov 26th 2020. They charged next day money from my credit card. I got a mail that..., item delivered. I contact MagicJack people. (If you need to contact them, cancel all your tasks, need to prepare at least half a day. Getting representative, verification, understanding our problem etc). After talking to representative, he can't solve my problem. He suggested to contact UPS, USPS everyone in the world. (I already contacted them, they were not able to trace the device). I requested him to send another device, as I already waited nearly 3 weeks. If I receive 2 devices, I will return one device. But he said, he can't. Finally I did stop payment. I face so many problems, before getting device itself. Imagine after getting device.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2020

I purchased my magicJack on 11-08-20. I looked at the tracking on 11-14-20 which told me it was delivered. I had my daughter go to her mailbox and check. It wasn't there. So we waited till the 17th to see if it was scanned incorrectly. It never appeared. I called magicjack cs who told me to contact UPS. Ups scanned it to USPS who was supposed to deliver the package. I contacted USPS who told me the packaged was delivered because it was scanned as delivered. When I asked why didn't the package show up on the informed mail, the supervisor at USPS told me they must didn't deliver it. She then put me on hold. Came back to the phone and told me she was going to investigate it.

I waited 10 days for her to call me, she never did. So I called her back. She told me that the carrier was tracked to the location and the package was delivered. I asked again about why it didn't show up on informed mail. She told me it was because the package didn't go through downtown. She then told me she sent the carrier back to check the mailbox. She asked me if my neighbors could have gotten it. She then informed me that there was nothing I could do because the package was not insured.

I called magicjack and told them what she told me. They kept telling me they was sorry this happened and then kept telling me I needed to contact USPS. They then told me that they wasn't responsible for the magicjack after they ship it. So basically they wasn't going to refund me my money or replace the magicjack. I insisted on speaking to a manager. After about 10 minutes someone came on the phone. They told me the same thing. They are sorry this happened, I should have gotten the service agreement informing me they wouldn't be responsible for the product once shipped. I didn't any agreement I ordered it online. Then I was told I could contact them via email to see if they would ship a replacement. If you're going to buy magicjack I wouldn't recommend getting it from them.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2020

I connected the MagicJack to my router and to a phone jack in my house after completing the set-up on my PC (with unit in a USB port). Could make calls just fine, but unit blocked incoming calls. Talked with technical support and thought I had problem solved with unit in USB. Reconnected to house jack, incoming calls were still/again blocked. Got more help from another tech support via their chat option. By trial & error I stumbled upon cause: too many extensions for the unit to power. I found this by disconnecting all 6 and reconnecting 1 by 1. First 5 were fine; #6 caused blocked call. Did not need to change anything in my modem/router. For anyone in an older home with multiple phone jacks and extensions, I recommend this method to see if you can fix the blocked call problem!

Original review: Oct. 12, 2020

Okay, let's start by understanding that this is $39.00 / year unlimited phone service with a fairly generous feature set, so the four stars should be considered in that context. To make this device work well, you have to tweak your router or switch settings. If you just buy a magicJack and plug it into your router, your voice quality is likely to be scratchy and you're likely to have a lot of disconnects. But if you take some time to properly prioritize the device in the router or managed switch, you'll find that both the voice quality and the reliability improve.

Better routers and managed switched usually have a setting called something like "VoIP mode" or "Auto VoIP" that will automatically do this for you. Typically you just have to tell the router that the device is a VoIP phone, and it will do the rest. What it does, in a nutshell, is prioritize the VoIP device's traffic ahead of all non-VoIP devices on the LAN. Most also have some sort of mechanism to deal with malformed packets in ways that won't break the connection. If your router or switch has no such setting, look for something called "Quality of Service," "QoS," or "Traffic Shaping" in the router or switch, identify the mJ device, and give it the highest priority. It doesn't need a lot of bandwidth -- 256k is much more than enough -- must it needs the highest traffic priority if you expect it to work well.

With VoIP prioritization, I almost never experience dropped calls on any of my magicJacks. I think I've experienced one dropped call in the past year, and that was to a government agency: so it's possible that they just hung up on me. As for the sound quality, though not exactly "crystal clear," with proper prioritization and sufficient bandwidth (again, 256K is more than enough), the sound isn't much worse than that of a standard POTS line. It's even clearer when using the Android app. In fact, the reason I didn't give mJ five stars (again, in the context of its extremely low price) has nothing to do with the device itself. It has to do with the less-than-wonderful customer service. If you get an answer at all once you open a ticket, it will probably be days later unless you splurge on the "concierge" add-on. So if you're considering buying a mJ, understand that the support will range from mediocre to horrid.

But I digress. When evaluating the user experience with the device and service itself, it helps to have realistic expectations. A year of mJ service costs less than a month of a typical prepaid mobile phone plan, and much less than a month of any POTS service I've had in the past 40 or so years. Expecting it to sound just as good as a service that costs 12+ times as much is simply unrealistic.

That being said, I've been using mJ devices since 2007, and the quality of the device and service has improved quite a bit. (The quality of customer service and support, not so much.) I've been using mJ as my primary "landline" number for more than 10 years, and I recently ported over one of my mobile numbers to a second mJ when I found I had bad signal with the mobile carrier after a move. Using mJ, the number works fine at home connected to the router; and with the Android app, I can still use it over WiFi or wherever I have any sort of Internet connection (including mobile data). In summary, before you trash mJ, configure your router properly for VoIP. You'll be stunned how much of a difference it makes. It can make this $39.00 / year service work at least as well and as reliably as the average mobile phone connection costing 12 times or more its price.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2020

We have been MagicJack customers for over 12 years & are prepaid until 2022 but as we never use the their service anymore plus they're saying there is a new tax for 911 service! Why should we pay for something we never use? Waited for over three-quarter of an hour to get a chat rep named Allen who was very polite until he found out we wanted to cancel account to which he replied he understood then immediately ended chat! VERY BAD CUSTOMER SERVICE.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2020

I purchased a MagicJack. I went to their website and want through the process to activate and port in my old phone number. I checked and confirmed that it was working. I, then cancelled my old phone service. About 10-12 hours later, I received an email from MagicJack that my number hadn't been ported because the service had been disconnected. After over an hour of "chatting with MagicJack tech support, the long and the short of it is that I had to re-activate my old service (and pay their fee) to port my phone number into MagicJack, again. I would never recommend this service to anyone.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2020

I had bought the original silver Magic Jack back in 2011 but never used it. After cleaning my house I stumbled upon the device. I then tried to register it only to have it not supported and couldn’t activate it. After numerous calls and hours waiting on their toll free number and going through tech support the only remedy they offered was to buy a new one as I certainly cannot take it back to the store for a refund. I was also told if I run the device on Windows Vista it would work. That was untruthful as I did try it on an old laptop running Vista without success.

I lost the use of the device and the one year subscription that comes with the activation of the device. I wasn’t offered a new device or even a discount on a new one. Poor service and support. Way too many other free calling apps out there to deal with this shady company. This will be my only dealings with this sad excuse of a company as they kept my money without any goodwill gestures whatsoever. Stay away from this company! VERY FAR AWAY!!!

Original review: Aug. 8, 2020

Hi My name is Matt, please read this Before you purchase a MagicJack. While the device works the customer service is an acceptable and somewhat fraudulent in my opinion. I purchase a MagicJack Go along with premium number. The MagicJack System sends me email invoices to extend my service, collects the money which is credited to my account then sends me another invoice saying my service has expired. I have prepaid over five years and when I call the 800 Customer service number I get a recording that my account has expired? In today’s business made easy this is not acceptable, MagicJack you should be ashamed. Best to test drive any new product first, call their customer service before you buy, companies without 24/7 customer service should also raise a red flag as problems or need for assistance is for your convenience. If I did not already have this number I would/will Change to another more professional service.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2020

Magicjack has a problem with one of their calling features - Automatic Screening. If you turn A.S. on, your incoming calls will be disconnected after approximately 10 secs. You can talk to the caller during that time, as usual, then, in a few seconds, all you hear is a "fast busy." If you turn off A.S., all incoming calls are fine. This doesn't affect outgoing calls, just incoming when the Automatic Screening feature is turned on. The A.S. feature (when it works right) eliminates, for me, about 99% of my robo and sales calls.

Original review: June 29, 2020

June 23, 2019 charged us $143.68 For 5 yrs. June 25, 2020 they charged us $189.00 for 5 yrs. We were told the new charge was for the phone number and the previous charge was for the subscription. We are seniors living in a rural area and we need a phone.

magicJack Company Information