1.60/5

Looking for a good VoIP provider?

939 magicJack Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

I was pleasantly surprised with the ease with which we were able to port our Canadian phone number to magicJack from Bell Canada - I spoke with an MJ rep re a disconnect request from Bell and got questions answered. MJ looked after the whole transfer. Had to do some minor rewiring of the Bell phone line into the house to the line from the MJ device, but an easy DIY job. The MJ service has good sound quality - very happy with the change to MJ - recommended!

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

I have been a user of magicJack for over 5 years. Recently magicJack has introduced call screening to it VOIP service. If someone calls from a telephone number that is not on the magicJack system, the call goes to magicJack call screening. The caller is asked to press a random number from 1 to 9. If the number is not pressed within 12 seconds, the call is disconnected. Most robo calling programs are unable to input this additional number. This has eliminated 99% of the robo calls that my wife and I received on our home phone. I pay $35.00 a year for magicJack phone service and for the price it can't be beat.

Get expert buying tips about VoIP Internet Phone Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

Have had mJ for a year now, after getting ripped off for a bogus "late fee" by my previous provider (Voipo). Setup was fairly painless, and the quality of calls is good. The device has spontaneously disconnected from its servers a couple of times, resulting in an "unavailable" message given to callers. Power-cycling the device restored service.

I did have to pay to have my number ported but I understand that's a network fee that is charged anytime a number is ported to another provider. I got the first year of service free and was able to renew 3 years for $89 (a good deal compared to my previous provider which was 2 years for $150). The only thing that bugs me is the "administrative fee" that they add on when you check out. That is not mentioned in their pricing. If they weren't sneaky about that I would have given them 5 stars.

Original review: July 29, 2018

I see lots of negative reviews for magicJack - it doesn’t work, can’t use it with my router, they took away my phone number, it doesn’t let you log out, bad customer service, hidden fees. WOW!!! Can’t believe this. I have been using magicJack since early 2011 (late last year switched to the “go” and I have NEVER had the slightest problem with this VOIP service). I would absolutely recommend it to anyone. It just works for me. Folks don’t connect it to your computer. Connect it to your router. Had it connected to a Netgear router now a new TP Link Router. Absolutely no problems. Always a reliable dial tone and clear calling.

Bad customer service? I wouldn’t know. Over 7 years of having it and never once had to deal with customer service. And it sends and receives faxes with no problems. Folks, ANY VoIP is only as good as your internet being up and running and your power not being out. That’s the chance you take with VoIP. I pay $36/ yr for the service. $10 for the vanity number and $3 plus for the tax and 911 service. C’mon folks, that’s less than $50 for an entire year of service. I seriously can’t figure out all of these complaints when I have had absolutely no problems with the cost plus the actual service. As far as I’m concerned, magicJack is fantastic.

Original review: May 28, 2018

I've been using it for many years now and a few years ago I upgraded and got the kind that is connected to the modem and always works and the computer does not have to be on. Where else are you going to get unlimited phone use, an app you can make calls from for about $40 a year with voicemail, etc. I think most people leave negative reviews so I tried to think of something I am very happy with and my first thought was MagicJack.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about magicJack?

Original review: May 15, 2019

I decided to buy a magicJack to lower my phone costs. I got the router and found out that there was a cost for getting a Canadian number. All in all, I decided I could have a cheaper option by taking a Canadian company. I called their customer service in the Philippines, cancelled my trial and returned the router. Now 3 months later I am still waiting for my refund. I have already called several times. I was assured that the router had arrived (for that reason they give you a bar code that needs to be attached to the package) and that the refund would be made AFTER 45 DAYS! I had only 2 weeks to return the router and they don't give you a refund until 45 days after receipt! Rip off!

We are now 3 months later and I still haven't had my money back. I am not able to communicate with anybody in the US, only their Philippine call center which can't do anything. I am also not getting an email address of them in the US where their operations and warehouse are. Now suddenly they say they need the tracking number to see if the router actually arrived whereas last time I called I was assured they had received it. Who still has the tracking number after 3 months?! Especially if they had already said they received it and I only needed to wait until the 45 days were over. Of course, this is not in my file and they 'don't have the recording anymore'. Plus, nowhere in the instructions it says I need to keep the tracking number as a verification tool for them.

I am sure they have the 45 days policy on purpose so you forget about your refund. They are very quick in making you pay and sign up but then the rest.... It is a big fraud and they don't have the system in place to deal with refunds apparently. My question to magicJack: what is the developing country here, the US or the Philippines, or both?!

Original review: May 8, 2019

There is absolutely no way that you can talk to a tech support person at this company. Check their website, and see for yourself. They do have a very well hidden path to a place where you can chat with a tech support, but it disconnected me FOUR TIMES in the middle of conversations. I have paid for another 3 years of service, but the device they sent me has so much static that the service is useless. There is also no one you can talk to about getting a refund. STEER CLEAR OF THESE PEOPLE!

Original review: April 19, 2019

I purchased magicJack as a gift for a friend. I noticed that the magicJack company charged my account twice for 1 apparatus plus 1 year of service, totaling $132.64. When I called the company, I received virtually no assistance at all after 40 minutes of speaking to 4 different representative, 2 of whom were managers. One had a very heavy accent and it was difficult to even understand what he was saying. He informed me that I would receive my $132.64 credited back to my account in 12 hours up to 5 days. Had to ask him 4 times to transfer me to a manager.

The next was a manager who told me it was an issue I needed to discuss with my bank and she hung up on me 2 minutes into the call. The 3rd was a saleslady who was nice, but it wasn't her department. Meanwhile I had to repeat the whole situation and all my personal info with every new rep I spoke to. The 4th was a manager who told me it should be credited to my account within a couple of days, but he blamed the issue of my account being charged twice on the fact that it was a debit card and not a credit card.

Not one representative sincerely apologized for the absolute lack of service and assistance I was receiving. Your company needs to restructure, and train your representatives better on how to speak to your customers. I experienced an absolute lack of kindness, understanding, and respect when speaking to your representatives and yet you want to sell your product and service. I will not be renewing my own service with you when it ends this June.

Original review: April 16, 2019

I've been a MJ customer for two years. I have a MJ GO plugged directly into my modem with the phone directly attached. It's worked so-so ever since we got it. But, we knew what we were paying for in that how good could it be for only $35/year. Although, with our cell phones, we weren't relying on this to be our primary method of communication and simply a means for emergency purposes. However, yesterday, I tried to place a call and now get a message saying that my service has expired and that need to contact customer service. The odd thing is that my account is set up with auto-renewal and isn't even supposed to expire until September. So, I called MJ from my cell phone. And after the typical efforts of the customer service agent having me unplug the device and them refreshing it from their end, they gave up and I was sent to their Tier-2 technical support.

Although, it took me three attempts to finally get through to someone. Albeit they only communicate through chat or I could have paid $15 for their Concierge service… I opted to work through the chat option. Once the tech got online he ("Jordan"... Needless to say that the person helping me previously was named "Joshua"... These seem like adopted names to make it appear as if I was dealing with someone in the US) had me connect with him through TeamViewer so that he could take control and check the drivers and software. This seemed to be a breach of privacy as he then had visibility of everything on my PC. He also had me install the phone app to make a call from it and determine if there might be something wrong with my account. It worked fine. So, after some hesitation and desperation, I allowed him to take control of my PC.

After about thirty minutes of him deleting drivers, reinstalling software, having me try different USB plugs to "make sure it isn't something wrong with my PC," having me unplug the device for ten minutes and restart it, and finally having me restart my PC... I still got the "your account is expired" message!?!? So much for their Tier-2 experts. He then surmised that my device is “too old” (2 years?) and recommended that I get a replacement. I said "great, so I can expect a new device will be sent to me for free?" And of course the answer was "no, you will have to buy a new one." Overall, I have placed an order for a new device putting me out another $38 (taxes, fees, etc). So as of right now, we have no house phone and I'm awaiting delivery of the new device. Hopefully, it works.

Original review: April 14, 2019

I concur with all of the issues that the negative reviews are showing. magicJack has never worked properly, calls are constantly getting cut off. I would estimate 29 of 30 calls got cut off. I bought new phones tried, 4 different locations, same problems! I called magicJack and got the runaround for several hours and was told I needed a free part, $10 shipping for the free part. Still no resolve, I was told I needed another $35 magicJack. The customer service is horrible, I reminds me of a company going out of business, they will charge you for another part (which doesn't work) at your expense with no guarantees. magicJack sucks!!!

Original review: April 10, 2019

I have had this silly thing for several years and have been very happy with the quality and service. I certainly got my money's worth and I thank you! I use the earbuds that came with it (it's easier for me to hear that way) and it comes through loud and clear.

Original review: March 21, 2019

Been MJ Customer since 2012. Purchased MJ Device $20. Connected via Modem thru Internet. Was good product/support/tech support for first 5 yrs. Except Scratchy/Loud Noises on phone couldn't hear other person speak. Hang up. Call back, better. Updated Internet Speed with Provider/Cable to Max. Updated Phone/Cords/and Router. Not that much better VOIP. Updated in 2017 to the GO2017. The Device gets HOT to the touch if plugged in longer than 8 hrs, also Conversations are dropped into 5 min 10 min 20 min. Product NOT GOOD- is clear but can't continue to talk, and the DEVICE/adapter gets extremely HOT to the touch if plugged in longer than 8 hrs at a time.

MJ is rude to speak to and won't assist (stating this is the billing dept, or this is sales - call the tech support) of course there isn't any. Their so-called Tech support thru customer Care (LOL) is some non English speaking person reading a booklet on steps to ask the customer to do. None relate to the problem at hand. My GO Device has 2 more yrs on the 5 yrs I bought, and I am looking for another VOIP company to go with now. This company, was very good. Now it's not at all. Nor is their products. Don't waste your time/money!

Original review: March 13, 2019

I have used magicJack for almost 10 years. It started as a good service, and became very good with MJ PLUS. In recent years, the connections became very noisy. You will need to disconnect the dongle almost daily to reset it and eliminate the noise. There was no help from MJ itself to find out this repair. The pricing is getting more and more annoying. 5 years ago I renewed for US$100 for 5 years. That was $20 a year. Now they removed the 5 year subscription and put in place a 3 year subscription for $90. ie $30 a year, for a 50% increase. To add insult to injury, they are asking now for an extra $10 a year "to keep the number," retroactively to last year. When I explained that it is illegal to go back on a paid contract, they claimed there is no contract. So with this new charge, the total price becomes $40 a year. A 100% increase.

And to increase price even more they have introduced what they call "concierge service" or something like that. They used to have a chat for customer service. It is no longer available, even if they keep referring you to it. Obviously they do not want anything in writing, as writing is proof! And the customer service over the phone is quite rude. They also reduced the services: MJ used to send an email notification for voice messages. They no longer do it.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

I have no experience with this product since I purchased and registered, ported a number (in process) and wait for it to start working. One to two weeks and they charged $20 to port the number. Based on the surprises with this company, the non disclosure specifically about costs and delays, I would give a negative rating if possible. If the product, once working, is good in all other respects, why do they act like Snake Oil sellers. If you don't port a number there is no fee and no delay. (I assume.)

When I bought the hardware the directions were wrong for what I needed to do. This product is very much like something you find from a middle or far east country with lousy support and set up. Trying to contact someone for certain questions and needs it not possible. I have no way of knowing what other aspects of magicJack support are better. I would give credit where credit is due but at present, that "ain't hapning." The failure to disclose the porting fee of $20 is lame. Typical of sneaky, unreliable fly by night operations. Since they are been around awhile, why the BS? Very tacky move magicJack people.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

The actual phone service is ok and yes sometimes choppy but for the price it's reasonable. But billing practices are ridiculous. I get email to pay annual fees. Fine. I pay the 42.50 as requested when I logged on. No issue. One week later, I'm thinking no problem, I paid a week ahead of due date. Wrong. Today phone is disconnected. Great. Any incoming sales or business is cut off. I text the online help. They tell me an additional 10 bucks is needed. I ask why this wasn't included at time I paid?? I'm losing business. I want that fee waived. I can't pay a bill that ISN'T PRESENTED TO ME. Total refusal to waive ten dollar fee. I said the supervisor should waive this ridiculous fee because I am inconvenienced. No is all I got. I'm quite angry and feel betrayed. I paid in full what bill was presented. Not acceptable. Thank you.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

We have had MagicJack for a month. Before that we had Cox Communication here in Las Vegas. We have had no problems with Cox except for high fees. Since using MagicJack there have been problems of losing a connection and missing words in conversation from callers on the phone. The callers say they can hear our conversation fine. We have canceled MagicJack.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

MagicJack is the worst VOIP provider I have experienced. Their call quality is terrible and calls drops. I also tried it with a 10$ prepaid card for India calling and calls keep dropping and I ended up using Whatsapp calling. I used to have Comcast service and did a mistake by switching to magicJack. I finally decided to move to Vonage but magicJack took 9 days to release my number which ended up passing my 30 day free trial period so they do not have to return the money. When I call, they just said nothing can be done and it happens to many customers and I should have canceled within 30 days. Very poor customer service. If you are trying due to its low cost please make up your mind within first 2 weeks so you can cancel it in time.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

I've had magicJack Service for several years. After renewing service in September, 2018, about two days later the robo calls started. It's gotten so bad I screen my calls with my answering device on my cordless phone. I tried the call blocking service they have for when a non magicJack number calls, that caller ID tried to enter a number from 1 to 9 to allow the call to go through. I have many relatives that live in different states than I do. And when they get that message to press a number for the call to go through they simply hang up thinking they had dialed a wrong number.

Now on top of this, when I do answer the phone I can barely hear the caller. They can hear me fine. What happened to the service? I used to live it. Saving all that money for home phone service as was able to Port my number I've had for around 20 years. It does appear to me that magicJack sold our numbers telemarketers. Looks like I'm gonna have to find another VoIP service. And by the way, I have the magicJack plus, which I can hook up to my router or computer.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

Device keeps dropping calls. MagicJack service has "escalated it twice" within a month. Have not had replacement or upgrade since purchase about 6 weeks ago. Had to purchase new device at my expense and hope it works. The device for some may be magical, but the service is not.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

I have had my MagicJack for about 4 months. It constantly drops calls, usually within 5 minutes. If it drops a call, trying to call the person back, you can't get a dial tone the first time. This is not a reliable device if you want it to be like a landline. It is more like playing a slot machine, every call is a different experience. I have talked to tech support and emailed them numerous times, and am always given the same excuse "It is a known problem and our vendors are working on it." Well guess what, your product is defective, it doesn't work properly, and you don't know how to fix it. I think they hope that customers will get tired of complaining and just go away. I think you should warn people up front, that it is not a finished product, they will have problems, and there is no fix for the problems.

Just got off the phone with MagicJack tech support. Here is what I was told, there is a serial number associated with the units that drop calls. I asked him if my unit was that serial number, and he said yes. I then said, well since my unit has a defect which is causing the calls to drop, can you send me a replacement unit that would have a different serial number. He said, " We can't do that" I said, "Why." He said, "Because we are not authorized to do that." I said, "I have been having dropped calls for 4 months and you won't send me a $35 replacement unit to possibly fix the problem," and he said, " No we can't, you just have to put up with the dropped calls until we fix it." This went on for about 1/2 hour... They do not want to replace the defective units, or fix them, they want to string the customer along for months and months... and probably just hope the customer goes away. DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT. IT IS A FRAUD.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

Drops calls consistently and without warning, at times does not connect or makes some irritating noise till you hang up. When I tried to call to deactivate account I was on hold for 30 min, then they hung up on me. When I went to chat they said okay to deactivating, ended the chat immediately and then blocked me from chat, so far the account is still active. Not a company that cares about its customers, just money.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

I'm in Canada but I am assured that service should be the same and why not? Since we're all on the Internet and my Internet service is very good. I have been a customer for about 5 years. The service has never been great but we suffer it because we don't want to pay $30 a month to the Telco. The sound is not good, we get noise on the line. It cuts in and out. Sometimes one party can't hear the other. Many times we have to call back or have the other party call us.

The App usually has a better connection but is still problematic. Added to this support is better than it was but has been really awful and you can't use their website without allowing all sorts of intrusive Java and links like Facebook. I have never really been able to resolve any issue that I can remember. One time I even added $ to my account trying different things to get it to work (desperate!). Now they have changed their terms and have deleted my balance (about $29 as I remember). The thing is I would have applied for a refund or had the money transferred to the other account if I had known. BUT it was so hard to get any support let alone anyone who could understand, had the authority and wanted to help. magicJack is CHEAP! CHEAP! CRAP (sorry, typo, Freudian slip!!!).

Original review: Jan. 21, 2019

BEWARE! They will keep all the money in your overseas account after six months and say it is was not used. They will just keep it? Nowhere on their site can you CANCEL your account or CANCEL an order just placed after learning the costs involved. It is just another "corporation" that has grown into a SCAM COMPANY AND NEEDS TO BE REGULATED AND OR SHUT DOWN.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

Magic Jack has horrible customer service. When I cancelled the free 30 day trial and returned their equipment they did not immediately refund the money for the equipment. They sent me an RMA number and shipping instructions which I followed to a "T". I verified the items were received by them with the tracking number. After a month and a half they still charged my credit card for the equipment. I called to get it refunded and was told by several customer service people that they need to get my tracking number to see if was returned. BY that time I no longer had the tracking number. Every company including my own uses RMA numbers to track returns internally. They kept telling me they don't do that. I ended up reporting them to the better business bureau and subsequently got the refund. Very bad company to deal with getting refunds.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

I called them to renew yearly plan. On phone they stated only could buy 3 year plans now. However online it still stated renewal plans yearly accepted. Concern that some type of scam might be happening.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

I've been a MJ+ subscriber for well over five-six years. The system worked acceptably up until the last couple of years, then the comms became (more) crackly, prone to echoing and distortion. Upgrading with new phones didn't help. I haven't bothered consulting with MJ technical yet because one gets the quality that one pays for and in reading the reviews, I expect the MJ techs won't be of much help. I expect the problem has to do with VoIP routing efficiencies i.e. the high-cost services get the choice routing paths and the cheap-seat users get routed through what's left. Time to go looking for another line of communication I guess.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

I have used MJ for the past 3 years, and until this year I was very satisfied with the service. For the past few months I have experienced the same issues others have described: dropped calls; over-modulation which causes crackling and unintelligible speech; no call waiting. I paid MJ for the "Concierge Service", where at least someone answers the phone. When I told them about my issues, they told me that I should replace the MJ as it is at least 3 years old and is past its "useful life", which makes no sense. This is an electronic device that either works or does not work. To eliminate any issue I purchased a new MJ that was shipped to me. When the new MJ was installed, the same issues appeared. Upon calling MJ, they now informed me that they are having issues with the service and that the engineers are working on it. However they did not have a date for the fix.

That was 2 weeks ago and the problems still exist. I called today and got the same response, they are working on it, but no date available. I find this inconceivable that they cannot find and repair the issues after this much time. I will give them another couple of weeks and then ask for a refund for the 2 MJ that I have plus the refund for the unexpired service. It is a pity that a good working phone solution should be on the verge of collapse due to lack of technical expertise.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

I had magicJack for years and had no problems. Then about 6 months ago I started having call quality issues like echoes, etc. I figured it was my MJ device that was probably going bad (MJ Plus). I bought a new MJ device (MJ Go) from Best Buy and had problems immediately. I was not getting Caller ID and my calls were getting dropped. Contacted customer service and they said they were working on the problems. About a week later I started getting Caller ID, but the dropped calls continued. I got sick of typing messages back and forth with customer service so I paid $10 for their Concierge Service so I could talk to a customer service representative.

He (Ric) told me that MJ thought when they solved the Caller ID problem that it would also fix the dropped call problem. He had me track my dropped calls (date, time, incoming or outgoing. I tracked the calls for a couple of weeks and emailed the information to Ric in customer service. He said he passed the information on to the tech guys. A month later and my calls are still getting dropped. I tried emailing Ric twice since then to get an update on fixing my problem, but no response. My guess is that they have no idea how to fix the problem. Oh well, I'm paid up until June 2020 so I'll mainly just use my cell phone and occasionally use the MJ to see if the problem gets fixed. How could it work great for years and then go to hell?

Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

We went to magicJack to save money like everyone else. We have never received more telemarketing and robocalls in the 30 years we had this number than we have in the past few months since porting to magicJack. I can't prove it, but believe they sold our info to these companies to make their money another way. We contacted customer service to disconnect our number and go to just cell service, after being totally frustrated by these calls. We did as they said and sent an e-mail requesting our number to be donated back to the originating carrier that holds that block of numbers.

It is several weeks later and several phone calls and e-mails later... there is forever a message on our number saying we aren't available and advertising magicJack's services. This is not acceptable - this was our number for 30 years and legally is supposed to go back to the other carrier - now if someone that knows us calls the number, they get an ad for a company we don't want to use!

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

DO NOT BUY MAGICJACK!!! I purchased a magicJack from Amazon. I went through their process and did a check to confirm my number could be ported. I paid their non-refundable (PROFIT SCAM) porting fee, waiting the required time. Then, after the time I get an email saying my number could NOT be ported...(thanks for the money). Their customer service is so bad, I spent a crazy amount of time that I finally just gave up and threw in the towel.

magicJack expert review by Ellen Muraskin

Sold in more than 25,000 retail stores, magicJack is an industry leader in direct-to-consumer VoIP services. It holds a number of foundational patents on which the VoIP industry is built and is part device, part service.

• Deeply discounted pricing: Where other service providers charge a monthly fee, magicJack offers a variety of plans, with prices as low as $120 for five years.

• Easy installation: Taking plug-and-play to a whole new level, all you need to do for installation is plug the magicJack between your router and your phone.

• Service and equipment are included: When you buy magicJack for $49.95, one year of service is included in the price.

• Calling on the go: Send calls to your home straight to your smartphone without using any of your plan minutes. Data speeds affect call quality, so be sure to use 4G or a Wi-Fi network.

• Free magicJack-to-magicJack: While all local and domestic long distance are free, international calling is only discounted unless both caller and receiver have the magicJack. Any calls from one magicJack to another are free.

• Best for: Residential users and salespeople.

Profile picture of Ellen Muraskin
    Ellen Muraskin VoIP Contributing Editor

Ellen Muraskin has been writing about telecom and IT since 1993 when she joined the marketing department of Dialogic. In 1996 she joined the editorial staff of CMP’s Computer Telephony Magazine, rising to Executive Editor before joining Ziff Davis Media to launch the VoIP topic center of their eweek.com site. She served as senior copywriter for IT infrastructure company Raritan and has written and edited for several publications.

magicJack Company Information