1.21/5

Looking for a good VoIP provider?

magicJack

Looking for a good VoIP provider?

961 magicJack Consumer Reviews

Original review: April 10, 2019

I have had this silly thing for several years and have been very happy with the quality and service. I certainly got my money's worth and I thank you! I use the earbuds that came with it (it's easier for me to hear that way) and it comes through loud and clear.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

I was pleasantly surprised with the ease with which we were able to port our Canadian phone number to magicJack from Bell Canada - I spoke with an MJ rep re a disconnect request from Bell and got questions answered. MJ looked after the whole transfer. Had to do some minor rewiring of the Bell phone line into the house to the line from the MJ device, but an easy DIY job. The MJ service has good sound quality - very happy with the change to MJ - recommended!

Get expert buying tips about VoIP Internet Phone Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

I have been a user of magicJack for over 5 years. Recently magicJack has introduced call screening to it VOIP service. If someone calls from a telephone number that is not on the magicJack system, the call goes to magicJack call screening. The caller is asked to press a random number from 1 to 9. If the number is not pressed within 12 seconds, the call is disconnected. Most robo calling programs are unable to input this additional number. This has eliminated 99% of the robo calls that my wife and I received on our home phone. I pay $35.00 a year for magicJack phone service and for the price it can't be beat.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

Have had mJ for a year now, after getting ripped off for a bogus "late fee" by my previous provider (Voipo). Setup was fairly painless, and the quality of calls is good. The device has spontaneously disconnected from its servers a couple of times, resulting in an "unavailable" message given to callers. Power-cycling the device restored service.

I did have to pay to have my number ported but I understand that's a network fee that is charged anytime a number is ported to another provider. I got the first year of service free and was able to renew 3 years for $89 (a good deal compared to my previous provider which was 2 years for $150). The only thing that bugs me is the "administrative fee" that they add on when you check out. That is not mentioned in their pricing. If they weren't sneaky about that I would have given them 5 stars.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2019

I have had my Magic Jack for 5 years and it is up for renewal. I logged in my account and they do not have a CANCEL ACCOUNT on their site. I tried the live chat and got SYSTEM MESSAGE: We need to verify additional account information to assist with billing related inquiries. Please call 1-800-624-4252 and select Billing (option 3) from the main menu. Customer Care representatives are available Monday through Friday, from 9AM to 7PM Eastern Time. *** This window will automatically close momentarily. I called and got a message they would call me back. That has been over a half hour ago. THIS IS RIDICULOUS! I don't know why anyone would sign up for service with them with this type of CUSTOMER NON SERVICE!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about magicJack?

Original review: Sept. 8, 2019

I've been a customer of this company for years. After I got recommended to buy a new device, I decided to put some money for a better product, I've received the device but had an issue to make it work. I call the number on the booklet provided but was told that I need to pay additional money to get help to troubleshoot the problem. The guy who called himself John refused to my request to speak to the manager. He was rude and unwilling to help. After minutes of useless talk I talked to someone who pretended to be his manager by name Brain with exactly the same voice and accent and same treatment. The call ended with no result. I feel very angry for the way this company treated me being their customers for many years. This absolutely unacceptable.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2019

MagicJack stopped ringing. Customer service doesn't want to fix issue and 2nd level support does not contact as promised. Terrible support. My MagicJack phone stopped ringing. I can make outbound calls, but it will not ring. Contacted Magic Jack support and even purchased new device to fix issue but nothing works. Was on hold for Customer Support over 1 hour and tech "hung up" on me because I told them my other MagicJack device at the same location was working properly on the same network. The tech said it was an Internet issue, when I asked how he came to this absurd assumption and I explained that I spent over an hour troubleshooting and I am a network technician. The tech got snippy with me and literally hung up. I called back and had to wait another hour before I was connected to another tech. This second tech was not able to fix issue.

I contacted support through CHAT and was on the chat for almost 3 hours and still did not get a resolution. It's obvious that either the device is bad (which I don't believe) because I purchased another new one and got the same result or MagicJack has made changes to my account that forces my incoming calls directly to voicemail. Overall their support is staffed with un-knowledgeable people and their Concierge Service for rapid customer support, which is an extra price has a working phone number but the option prompts do not accept your input and it keeps repeat to call back the support number, which is the same number I am calling. Overall, this company should be fined heavily for their inability to provide the service they promised. I have had problems with them double billing me in the past and was never refunded any money for the double billing. This company is NOT REPUTABLE and they should be fined and or sued for these issues.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2019

A year ago I sent Consumer Affairs a glowing review about magicJack. I ignored the terrible reviews when they had a problem. Well now I am REVOKING that review. The service worked fine until the day I sent them the $89 for their 3 year discount service. THE NEXT DAY no calls could get through! The caller gets a message that the number has not been assigned to a customer! I got on line and with others that are having the same problem. Customer service has no idea what the solution to the problem!

No way to call the office, you can only sign up to chat which I did and spent an entire day working with them. Got online and found EVERYONE is having the same problem, but the techs go through their SCRIPT and act as though they have never heard of that problem! It sounds like they have a very good collection service to get your money but a system that works on a bunch of 10 year old Commodore, 65 computers that runs the system with a computer repair man that is out on Holiday for a month? The people that SCREAMED about the terrible customer service were RIGHT! I should have listened to them!!!!

Original review: Sept. 5, 2019

Customer service is horrible as many people have said and wait until you ever try to cancel their service. I am constantly getting bill notifications for 911 service charge though I haven't had this phone number for a while and they say they can't cancel it. They push it off on having to call your local municipality which good luck on that because they have no clue either. Guy was obnoxious and foreign I talked to so not only could I barely understand him but he was rude too. STAY AWAY!

Original review: Sept. 4, 2019

This company is horrible to deal with, nothing like they used to be. I signed up for Concierge service, $14.99+tax ($17.33)) which entitled me to a replacement adapter for $17.95+shipping & tax. They shipped an adapter and charged me 39.95+shipping, tax and administration fee. ($55.43) That is supposed to include a year service that they don't give me until my remaining 1 year 2 months is expired. I'm sure in November of 2020 they will do that! So, I'm on the hook for a total of $72.76 for something that should have cost me about $25 with the shipping and tax. As soon as I got the email with the prices on it, I tried to call. Was on hold for 2 hours and they cut me off. After 3 more holding calls, the girl told me that I didn't call sooner after receiving the email. Stay away from this MagicJack!!!!

magicJack expert review by Ellen Muraskin

Sold in more than 25,000 retail stores, magicJack is an industry leader in direct-to-consumer VoIP services. It holds a number of foundational patents on which the VoIP industry is built and is part device, part service.

• Deeply discounted pricing: Where other service providers charge a monthly fee, magicJack offers a variety of plans, with prices as low as $120 for five years.

• Easy installation: Taking plug-and-play to a whole new level, all you need to do for installation is plug the magicJack between your router and your phone.

• Service and equipment are included: When you buy magicJack for $49.95, one year of service is included in the price.

• Calling on the go: Send calls to your home straight to your smartphone without using any of your plan minutes. Data speeds affect call quality, so be sure to use 4G or a Wi-Fi network.

• Free magicJack-to-magicJack: While all local and domestic long distance are free, international calling is only discounted unless both caller and receiver have the magicJack. Any calls from one magicJack to another are free.

• Best for: Residential users and salespeople.

Profile picture of Ellen Muraskin
      Ellen Muraskin VoIP Contributing Editor

Ellen Muraskin has been writing about telecom and IT since 1993 when she joined the marketing department of Dialogic. In 1996 she joined the editorial staff of CMP’s Computer Telephony Magazine, rising to Executive Editor before joining Ziff Davis Media to launch the VoIP topic center of their eweek.com site. She served as senior copywriter for IT infrastructure company Raritan and has written and edited for several publications.

magicJack Company Information