magicJack

Compare VoIP Providers

Research top VoIP Providers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I have been using magicJack for a couple of years and was so shocked at the negative reviews, I wanted to post my experience. Used the first (older) device connected to my pc and for a small business. The device works great for the money. Randomly there have been a few small glitches in the dialing, but otherwise, the call quality is great. Just purchased the Magic Jack Go because I am sick to death of Comcast's outrages fees and lack of customer service.

I ported my home line over to the magicJack Go (for an additional $20). No computer necessary, plug the device into my router and you can plug a landline into the second port on the device. If you do not want to use with a landline, log into your online account and have the calls either ring simultaneously to your cell, or simply forward all calls to your cell (that way you are not using a "landline phone."). I hope they keep the price for magicJack low in the coming years. I have no regrets after about 4-5 years using my magicJack. Insofar as customer service, come on people -- at $35 a pop, what do you expect? Everything you need to know is online -- read and learn -- and save!

Do not buy from these people. The salesman lied to me and said we didn't need a landline to use this. Well, it turns out you do. I had bought two MagicJacks for each of our homes to use with a Brother fax-printer in each place, plus spare ink cartridge packs for each of the Brother items. So since I am stuck in NYC due to health issues and cannot fly for up to six weeks from now, there is the problem of returning the Brother printer and the ink cartridges in Florida. I have had to pay our handyman to do this, having mailed the Amazon labels to him. MagicJack wants me to PAY to return their product. Instead I am abandoning both of them. I am just out of surgery and can hardly stand, don't have the energy to take the NYC item to the USPS station. It would cost a lot to send it back to FL anyway. I'm not paying my handyman to return the MagicJack. It would cost me more than the purchase price to pay him and mail it back.

Renewed my subscription and was unaware that my phone was not working (the old magicjack was turned back on instead of the new one) until I received a voicemail from MagicJack asking me to renew. I called them on 2/7/2017 regarding the issue. They wanted to charge me another 37.73 to turn the correct magicjack on and then they would reimburse me for the $37.73 on the old equipment. I refused to give them another 37.73, so I asked them to close my account out and send me my 37.73, which they stated they would do.

One week later, 2/14/2017, the 37.73 has not been received, but they claimed that credited me back. I called my bank and they stated there were no deposits in my account from MagicJack and nothing showing in activities for an upcoming deposit for 37.73 from MagicJack. So, I called MagicJack back and they still were saying they sent the refund back to my account. So, I guess I have just lost 37.73. I will never use their service again.

When I bought magicJack on the phone, the sales person confirmed 3 times that I can speak to a live person on their toll free number. After setting the service up, and needed help, they said I had to go chat with someone on their website and they have no one there who can talk to me about my problem. When I confronted their customer service with this, he said "What do you want to do about it". No apologies or any accountability like it was wrong and "we'll address this with our sales department."

I added $40 to my account for international calls. Here is what it cost me at the end: $40 pre payment for international calls; $3.12 admin fee, $6.68 FCC fees. $49.80 Total which means I paid almost 25% extra for this service. I think this is a scam and it will be the very last time I make this payment. Something else to say about this service is when you make an international call and you get a voicemail on the other side, it cost you a unit. Voice quality is very bad too. I had enough of MAGIC JACK!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about magicJack?

Sales listened to my needs but didn't hear. After you talk to sales and order, don't count on speaking to ANY human from this day forward. I have had MJ for 10 days now and can NOT get any answers. With their www.magicjack.com, I have plugged, re-plugged, reconnected, unplugged over 45 times and they still have not HEARD... I can receive calls, I can makes calls (well sometimes). I have complained about dropped calls, not receiving all calls. 10 friends received the message "This Magic Jack customer is not accepting calls." I AM the customer and have not rejected ANY calls. One very important relative that does not have a direct number, shows Private Caller, has been blocked... YES BLOCKED. I was able to make contact with that relative's carrier and yes they confirmed BLOCKED via Magic Jack.

Yes I paid MJ $19.00 to take possession of my landline #, so yes, I am saving $40.00 per month, but have in the last 10 days dealt with $140.00 worth of BS, spend at least 2 hours per day on the website www.magicjack.com. They are in the communications business but can't communicate one on one, human to human. Still waiting to hear from a HUMAN customer service manager from the complaint department. Yea, I didn't believe that would happen either and so far I am right again.

Very disappointed with this company. I ordered a magicJack for a trial free period for 30 days and two months later still did not receive my equipment HOWEVER they charged my credit card for it anyway. I tried calling them 4 times telling them I did not receive my equipment and when they track my order it is always at customs and has been there over a month. I call back to tell them I want a refund and they tell me I cannot get a refund since I passed the 30 days trial... Lol... I told them I don't have the equipment, never received it so how can I have a trial period without receiving equipment. They went ahead and told me they would send a request to accounts department and someone will contact me.

1 week later, no call. I decided to call them back this time with frustration and anger and demanded a refund... They said it takes 3 to 5 business days for refund... Waiting to see if it happens... First worst experience ordering online... Will never deal with them again!! Good luck to you all. With all the negative reviews I am actually glad I never received this equipment!!

So I hate magicJack, but I moved overseas, & needed a way to be able to text & call using a US phone number. After searching high & low, the only solution seemed to be magicJack, so I decided to get their app for $9.99 per year. I had issues with app not telling me at the top when I had messages or texts & after e-mailing & calling, I realized they are just too stupid to design/code an app properly, but I continued to use it because I had no choice. My year just expired & instead of receiving an e-mail via the e-mail address I signed up with, it went to my cell phone's e-mail which I rarely if ever use, so I only noticed a week later.

I called up to renew, & after wasting my time with the first Filipino, I got hung up on. I called back & GUESS WHAT! They NOW want to charge me a $35 equipment fee. LOL. There is NO need for ANY equipment to use the mobile app, but of course GREED is alive & well in magicJack land. I told her 3 times "I guess you don't want my business" & finally hung up. I will just do without. I'm going to be returning to the US soon anyway. I'm always shocked when I hear people singing magicJack's praises. I think they are INSANE. I had issues with the phone device when I lived in Panama & even before moving from Canada I had issues with their customer service & read the million long thread of complaints. My sister nearly hung up the phone on me. The clarity was so bad. There are so many better VoIP options, but unfortunately NONE that do what I need.

The worst I've ever dealt with in my life. Wow. Seems over the top...go ahead and try it yourself. Took 8 hours of phone conversations just to cancel. Tried to rectify without cancelling first. Feel fortunate just to have my bank account credited.

They are an unscrupulous company, the product really doesn't work!!! I was not able to record a voice mail greeting, after paying a professional to record a message we were not able to access the voice mail in order to record it. When you try to contact magicJack, well, that's when you realize they rather train a team of con artists making $8/hour to answer the phone and transfer you to an extension no one answers!

After several attempts, over 20 calls in three weeks, hours on hold just trying to reach a manager or a supervisor who could help solve the problem, my opinion and conclusion is: It's a shameless scam! These people should be arrested! From the upper management to the little con-artists answering the phones to complete the scam! Don't buy it! Don't be another victim! Remember, you get what you pay for, even though there are inexpensive but decent and honest products out there, this is NOT one of them!

My magicJack service was not working so I called Customer Service. I had ordered a five year service contract 3 years ago May 2013. I was told I now needed a separate fee for my phone number in addition to my service contract. This was the first time I had ever heard of such. I requested to speak to someone else because I couldn't understand her English that well and she told me to go to hell and hung up. This customer service woman should be terminated. This to me is a bait-and-switch to get more money. I spoke with magicJack and they told me all calls are recorded and they would look into it, and that a manager would call me back to discuss my concerns. I am still waiting. MagicJack has terrible customer service representatives and needs to review their policy towards their customer. I guess their policy is the customer is always wrong.

I recently attempted to renew my annual subscription. My CC was declined, where I received an email. I immediately applied a different CC. Three days later, my phone was shut off. I then contacted their live on-line customer service. After being on the line with them for about 20 minutes, they were absolutely no help. I then contacted the telephone customer service, where they were much the same. They wanted me to repeat everything, including my CC information that was already on their website. Needless to say, I was fed up. It wasted a good part of my day, and to boot, my phone was disconnected, even though my renewal info was given to them in plenty of time. The website was also awful, where I could not access any of the FAQs. Overall, a horrific experience.

I have had many magicJack since their inception. Up until this year I had no issues. I had to replace 1 due to a power surge. I asked to have the same number. I was told to get the same number I had to order through them. Ok np. I also asked if I can re-up for the new year, I knew it was coming up in December. They told me no problem. I pre-paid in August. Today I receive a email telling me I owed additional money to keep the number. First I go online, they tell me my number is a premium number. Uh no. It's was one of 17 they offered when I registered, when I told her that she cut me off the chat (and yes I kept the conversation on a word doc to prove it). I then called the 800 number. They said the same thing, I then got the same answer, I told her I had all the documentation to prove it. (I'm OCD about buying things and saving everything).

She challenged me, so I lost my cool said if I wanted a premium number I would have gotten 1800 smart ass. I'm not that kind of person, nor do I like confrontation, but they refused to budge on this and I had my original documentation from when I purchased the original magicJack, this was a deal breaker. This product was less than a year old. Instead of trying to work with me, she told me she will just credit me and she cut me off. Hey, ya know what? Who needs a company who double charges and has hidden costs and lies about their product. So I lost some money from this situation, but I learned, and I would rather go with a reputable company than deal with unprofessional people ever again. To people using this. I was once a yes person. Now I will NEVER EVER EVER... recommend them again. They are just fortunate I haven't taken to social media.

I have been using MJ+ since 2011. Recently I started getting static on my end. Tried moving it away from electronics to no avail. I called MJ at 8448662442 and prompt one. They sounded Indian. I explained the static problem and asked about a firmware upgrade. They said no upgrade but the NEW magicJack Go solves all the problems for "Only $42 for the MJ Go and an extra year of service." I said I'll try it but if it didn't work I will send it back (and, of course, cancel my CC payment.). Well I've used it all day today and it works perfectly!!! As an extra if you have the iPhone app (MagicApp) if someone calls your MJ Go landline, it will ring at home and on your cell phone if you are at a WiFi hotspot. I am going to Europe in December so it will be interesting how it works. Would be a great Christmas present. (I have nothing to do with the MJ company.)

I'm struggling to get my MJ working for last 2 weeks and is like talking to the wall. I some good reviews? Only good review I would give if you paid me. This is my complain to MJ: "The MJ (**) stopped working after someone from your side decided to remove from the system after another number in the same account got expired. First my father had to wait 2 minutes before message was planning on his line about number not related to his that will be soon expired. He doesn't speak English so he just patiently waited every time he called. After that other number got expired you disconnected his number??! The MJ (**) was never expired and I even paid ahead of renewal day!

When above number got disconnected the voice message was saying "THE NUMBER IS NOT ASSIGN". After I complain you send me email saying that problem was fixed but now the voice message saying "MJ YOU HAVE CALLED IS NOT AVAILABLE..." The MJ is plugged in properly. The only blue light is solid on. We tried to connect to PC but nothing happened. This MJ was working fine for years till now. Please fix it from your side or just refund money since it was your fault. Thanks." NO ONE IS INTERESTED TO HELP ME!

Bought a renew card that was activated to the wrong magicJack device. Online chat customer service had me click on cancel order trying to transfer to the right device. That closed out the newly bought card and I have been on chat customer service now for 6 days trying to get a credit back to the right device. They keep promising me that they will take care of it and that it has been elevated to upper management. 3 times now they have asked for 24 to 48 hours to remedy the situation. Still nothing. I really think they don't want to fix a problem that they created.

Multiple phone calls regarding a faulty magicJack device. Later I learned there is no recourse even though I have their extended 5 yr plan good through 10/2019. One call was 5 hours long and a supervisor supplied me with an ID # telling me I was under warranty. I was to call the "billing number" which they supplied. I spoke to 5 different individuals telling me they would not honor the so-called warranty and each in turn hung up on me when I asked for a supervisor. The billing clerks were rude/belligerent and hung up. Four long months of no service I tried again and just received a text from the Philippines "management supervisor" today informing me there was no way to assist me.

No one should apply for their 5-year program. If you have a faulty device sold by them you have no recourse. There is no warranty, no service of value and phone contact will leave you insulted at best. MagicJack and magicJackGo are scams at best. You will receive a different response from each individual you deal with. If you have hours of free time and want entertainment but not resolution, contact magicJack.

Despite all the bad reviews I've seen, I have to say I am pretty happy with their service. I've had the magicJack plus since 2011 and two things that is great for me is: (1) unlike the old magicJack with magicJack plus there is no need for having your computer on anymore to make or receive calls. Just power-up via adapter and connect to your router via ethernet cable; and (2) Install the magicJack app, now when I'm not home I get calls directly to my mobile via the app. I know a lot of people complained that some of their calls get dropped on the app. Note that I'm not disputing this however magicJack is voice over IP which require the use of data (either wifi/Mobile data) so this is directly proportional to the quality of your call.

The magicJackGO is awesome. I used an original MJ for many years and it worked well. Windows went out on my computer so I installed Linux which MJ does not recognize so I bought the new Go that plugs into my router. It was recognized immediately when I registered it. The big plus with the Go is my fax machine works with it. I highly recommend the MJ Go.

I have been a MJ user for a number of years. Overall was relatively happy, but always annoyed when you'd need to exchange or get a new MJ, they would or had NEVER transferred your existing long distance credit - which I chalk up to theft. BUT now my issue is this - living in Mx., I needed to re-up for my next yr service and due to our credit card being compromised we could not use it. I received an email from MJ saying - go to any WALMART store in Canada or US, so I gave funds to friends that were traveling back north. Walmart knew nothing of this service in 2 separate parts of the country. The MJ support person blamed on Walmart staff not knowing procedure, even though both times a print out from the MJ email was taken with them.

Finally the one friend just went thru the hassles of placing and paying my re-up on his credit card - BUT lo and behold MJ placed the paid order on my wrong MJ device, so the current - new - MJ Express is paid again, even though when you purchase - first year is included in the buy price. The Plus is the one I need re-up'd because that WAS the one that had long distance minutes on it. Finally after about 2 hr. on chat - they agreed to transfer long distance monies to the Express - said 24 hr...

96 hr. later I went to use and the funds were still not transfer, so had to start the explanation process over again. I asked for additional credit to my acct. because of the issues it cost me when I could not make an important call and also questioned them about the added $35 they just accepted from me. The long and short of their comment was to STICK IT. I am getting no credit transfer or added credit for their oversight. I am in the process of finding another long distance service provider that does or will have customer service first and foremost on their mind.

I have been a MJ user for a number of years. Overall was relatively happy, but always annoyed when you'd need to exchange or get a new MJ, they would or had NEVER transferred your existing long distance credit-- which I chalk up to theft. BUT now my issue is this - living in Mx., I needed to re-up for my next yr service and due to our credit card being compromised we could not use it. I received an email from MJ saying -- go to any WALMART store in Canada or US, so I gave funds to friends that were traveling back north. Walmart knew nothing of this service in 2 separate parts of the country.

The MJ support person blamed on Walmart staff not knowing procedure, even though both times a print out from the MJ email was taken with them. Finally the one friend just went thru the hassles of placing and paying my re-up on his credit card. BUT lo and behold MJ placed the paid order on my wrong MJ device, so the current new MJ Express is paid again, even though when you purchase - first year is included in the buy price. The Plus is the one I need re-up'd because that WAS the one that had long distance minutes on it.

Finally after about 2 hr on chat- they agreed to transfer long distance monies to the Express. Said 24 hr... 96 hr later I went to use and the funds were still not transfer, so had to start the explanation process over again. I asked for additional credit to my acct. because of the issues it cost me when I could not make an important call and also questioned them about the added $35. dol. they just accepted from me. The long and short of their comment was to STICK IT. I am getting no credit transfer or added credit for their oversight. I am in the process of finding another long distance service provider that does or will have customer service first and foremost on their mind.

I placed an order for the magicJack free trial. Afterwards I never received a confirmation email like I was supposed to. I figured the order didn't go through until I saw that my card had been charged $43.12. Since I signed up for a 30-day free trial, this wasn't right. I contacted customer service and was told that no order had went through so they had not billed me. They then tried to blame the charge on my bank. I work at said bank so I know the charge was from magicJack, not my bank. I was told that if I return the device before the 30 days I will get the charge removed. Since there is no order I will not be able to return anything which means this charge can't be removed. It almost seems like a scam at this point.

My magicJack device failed several months ago. The voice and hearing kept breaking up. I "called" their service from Guam. Nothing was resolved, other than I followed their technical advice and almost crashed my computer. Fortunately I could go to my recycle bin and reload the parts of my computer's software that their technical representative told me to delete. Now they want me to pay full price, plus shipping, for another device, to replace their defective device that I bought in good faith.

MagicJack marketing strategy: "If we sell him an inferior quality device that will last a little over a year, then we can get him to pay an additional $109 something for 5 years' service. When his inferior quality device fails, we can get him to pay full price and shipping charges for an additional device, once he is committed to the 5 years. Heck, we can probably get him to pay full price for a third device if we do it right." Nice business practice. It is a win/win for magicJack, but a lose/lose for the customer. (Their online customer chat support is designed to wear you down).

The live chat stunk. The person didn't resolve my problem (we were inquiring because a recording said we had 110 minutes international prepaid; my call didn't connect; then the message said we had one minute left). Their suggested resolution was that we escalate and send an email that would resolve the issue in a couple of weeks. Then, they asked me what I wanted to say in the email. Really? That's customer service? Why bother having a live chat if they haven't the ability to serve?

Terrible product with a host of technical issues, terrible customer service that clearly don't even know their own products. Make refunds nearly impossible and over difficult. I would NEVER recommend this service to anyone. Avoid unless you like wasting money and endless headaches.

Despite all the bad reviews here and mixed reviews on Amazon, I decided to take a chance and bought. I love my magicJack. I paid for 5 year plan and couldn't be happier with the savings. I did run into an issue while setting it up, and the chat support asked me to disconnect and reconnect the device which solved the issue. I have been using it for about a month since then, and have no complaints. It has great call quality and I just wish I knew about magicJack earlier.

I tried using my MagicJack only to find it asking me to connect to the internet. I already was. The MagicJack unit was NOT WORKING PROPERLY. I have had more than one MagicJack unit. These units are always problems. If it wasn't for the price per year, I would not be using it, however the amount of time I lose and dedicate talking to customer service, is high. I would not be surprised if I've dedicated 12+ hours OR MORE in the last year just trying to keep this unit working. I am currently signed on to their customer service. I am in their queue. I started as customer #328 and the software told me it would only be 7 minutes to talk to someone. That was around 20-30 minutes ago. I am now currently #168... with 167 people in front of me, with issues obviously.

This company obviously does NOT have enough staff to handle the load of problems these units are creating. The more units they sell, the longer the wait it seems to talk to a customer service agent. The people at the top obviously don't care. If they did I wouldn't be sitting, waiting to talk to someone, which at this point looks to be a ONE HOUR WAIT just to talk to someone with barely any knowledge and who will waste my time for another hour, then finally forward me to a 2nd tier employee who is more knowledgeable and will be able to assist me properly, but even then... that could take another 30 minutes or so. Total time I need to dedicate to this problem today, most likely 2 hours 30 minutes. Totally unacceptable.

After waiting live chat in queue for 380 people about 35 minutes I got a girl by the name of Vera. Explained my situation and she told me I was experiencing the same problem as other customers. Their engineers are working on it to fix the issue. I have a five year contract and can't use it for the past week. She didn't bother me any time to fix. She was a complete waste of my time. Do not waste your time buying this product. When I first got the magicJack it was a number of years ago customer service was great. Now I understand it has had a change of owners and they are running it into the ground. STEER CLEAR IS MY ADVICE.

When I tried to renew my number, their system did not complete it. So I tried a second time and the same thing happened. Then I noticed on my credit card a double charge. That had happened several times before but they corrected it themselves. This time it was obviously a double charge for the same renewal but nothing happened to remove one of the charges. I then contacted my credit card and they reversed the charge. magicJack then flagged my account and insisted that I pay a fee of $28 while the renewal simply cost $10. With their customer service, an individual simply kept repeating that payment had to be made with no attempt to acknowledge their system problem. This company is well to be avoided as their call clarity is usually awful.

After reading some of the more recent negative comments about their experiences with MagicJack, I am becoming doubtful that my problem will be resolved within a reasonable time frame after having spent way too much time this morning corresponding through their online chat forum with two customer reps. I have been a customer of their service for at least 7 years and while I can say it has not always been a great experience, I do acknowledge the fact that you get what you pay for.

MagicJack has never been my primary source of communication, I purchased it to make calls to and from Canada so I utilize it on an infrequent basis. And the device is usually not connected to my laptop until I plan to make a call or I have been notified by email that there is a voicemail message waiting (I do like that feature). Unfortunately, it seems the very recent renewal of service is not going well after having paid almost a week in advance of the expiration date. I won't bore you with all the details, however I have been told that the problem is due to a system update issue and that I should try to connect again in a few hours.

Expert Review

Ellen MuraskinVoIP Contributing Editor

Ellen Muraskin has been writing about telecom and IT since 1993 when she joined the marketing department of Dialogic. In 1996 she joined the editorial staff of CMP’s Computer Telephony Magazine, rising to Executive Editor before joining Ziff Davis Media to launch the VoIP topic center of their eweek.com site. She served as senior copywriter for IT infrastructure company Raritan and has written and edited for several publications.    More about Ellen→

Sold in more than 25,000 retail stores, magicJack is an industry leader in direct-to-consumer VoIP services. It holds a number of foundational patents on which the VoIP industry is built and is part device, part service.

• Deeply discounted pricing: Where other service providers charge a monthly fee, magicJack offers a variety of plans, with prices as low as $120 for five years.
  • Easy installation: Taking plug-and-play to a whole new level, all you need to do for installation is plug the magicJack between your router and your phone.
  • Service and equipment are included: When you buy magicJack for $49.95, one year of service is included in the price.
  • Calling on the go: Send calls to your home straight to your smartphone without using any of your plan minutes. Data speeds affect call quality, so be sure to use 4G or a Wi-Fi network.
  • Free magicJack-to-magicJack: While all local and domestic long distance are free, international calling is only discounted unless both caller and receiver have the magicJack. Any calls from one magicJack to another are free.
  • Best for Residential users and salespeople.

Compare VoIP - Internet Phone Service