3.9/5 (505 ratings)

About magicJack

magicJack Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about magicJack?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about magicJack?

Original review: Oct. 13, 2022

After 7 years of use, I suspect my Magic Jack Go is failing. I called in to replace my device and all they want to do is sell me another device. (26.95) Then they put 4 additional fees on top of the price! (Admin, Shipping, Processing and Sales Tax.) I wanted to end the call and go to the survey and the young girl who STRUGGLES with English HANGS UP on me. This company flunks in customer service. All they want is your money and good luck if the device works.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2022

I renewed 3 years ago and was going to let it just go away, since I hadn't used it for at least the last year or so. Didn't realize they had me set up for auto renew, not to mention that they no longer had my correct billing address, so charge shouldn't have gone through. Tried to have them cancel and refund as soon as charge went through, but they refused. Tried to dispute with my bank, but it was overturned, so these crooks get to keep money that they aren't earning. I don't even have the equipment to use it if I wanted to. They say they told me it would be auto renewed, but the only thing I read in the emails was that I needed to login and renew, which I wasn't going to do. So now I'm stuck with having to pay for another year I'm not using. I hope this company goes out of business soon.

Get buying tips about VoIP Internet Phone Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2022

I bought few devices and two number and paid for three years service, magicJack devices suddenly stop working. My ported number with MagicJack given to all departments such as banks. Application was stop working last year and after several complaints, technical team troubleshot and start working. Suddenly, devices and application is blocked by them just after renewal just few days ago. I sent them email and complaints but they couldn't resolve the issue and just sent me email that replace the device after paying amount. MagicJack devices are working perfect, showing numbers but cannot connect with their server and could not find NETWORK, My network is fine, I contact with my ISP, they shown me traffic is going through and stopped at their side. I want to file law suit against them for mentally torture and for damages.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2022

This company is practicing wrong business practices. They claim that their plans start at low rate but they charge 40% taxes which is a stealing. Poor customer service. Terrible coverage as they don't have their own network.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2022

The autopayments are processed and if you want to cancel the service they will not refund you the charges. I got charged today and called immediately to cancel the service. They have a policy of not giving refunds. I canceled the service today even though I got prepaid the service until next year. I do not want to deal with this company ever again.

Original review: July 13, 2022

BEWARE-BEWARE-BEWARE. This company pretends to offer a decent product which does work adequately for the most part however their customer support is non existent. The support team are like a bunch of human robots, they can’t help you, they are merely there to pick up the line and simply don’t understand anything. Assume that any money spent with this company is money lost/wasted. There are far better VoIP providers out there.

Original review: May 26, 2022

It is worse than a gym membership to try and cancel an account. My mother had several strokes and cannot verbalize and even though I have the power of attorney they refuse to cancel the account without speaking directly to her. Customer service is a joke. Do not do business with this company.

Original review: May 12, 2022

I noticed that my MagicJack number was not receiving calls and it tell callers that my number is not assigned. I chatted with MJ customer support and they said my email account does not exist and insinuated that I was telling lies. He asked me to log into my account which I was able to with the same email address that he told me did not exist. I asked him to explain to me what next to do since I have emails from MagicJack that was sent to me when I made my last payment about 5 months ago. He insisted that I should tell him another email (I do not have another email to tell him) for verification. He finally logged me off from the chat, I was embarrassed and felt frustrated. I tried other means of getting across to the company, but there was no other means. This is by far the worst customer service I have ever seen. I am not so sure that customers' information is safe and have not been compromised with this company.

Original review: April 27, 2022

I needed to replace a failed MagicJack home. I had an extremely hard time installing the new unit despite following carefully all instructions. No technical support or customer service was available after 4 pm. When I finally contacted technical support in the Philippines the day after, the support was totally unfriendly, in poor english and ineffective. I tried again in the afternoon hoping to get support from a different tech who was also very difficult to understand. I will try again one more time before giving up on magic jack and returning the unit to the store. Magic jack is not the best product on the market and is probably the worst customer service there is.

Original review: April 25, 2022

I have been a MagicJack customer for 13 years and have been impressed with their product and service but no more! I renewed my service for one year. The stated cost was $43.00 and written below it were the words "no additional fees". After paying, the receipt showed I had paid over $50.00. I tried to cancel but was told to send an email. I did so but 3 days later had not heard back so I called. It took many tries but I finally got to talk to someone who told me they would not refund my money even if I cancelled because the company does not process refunds. It is in their policy.

I told them that any company or service provider who will not offer a refund is not worth doing business with and I do not know how they get away with this policy. They said that because I initiated the payment their policy does not allow them to send a refund. I told them I have initiated payment with thousands of companies over the years and this is the first one that has such a policy. I don't know how they get away with this. I told them that is fraud and I hope they get sued for this. I will finish out this year and end my relationship with MagicJack forever. And I hope that they get sued for everything they have.

magicJack author review by Ellen Muraskin

Sold in more than 25,000 retail stores, magicJack is an industry leader in direct-to-consumer VoIP services. It holds a number of foundational patents on which the VoIP industry is built and is part device, part service.

• Deeply discounted pricing: Where other service providers charge a monthly fee, magicJack offers a variety of plans, with prices as low as $120 for five years.

• Easy installation: Taking plug-and-play to a whole new level, all you need to do for installation is plug the magicJack between your router and your phone.

• Service and equipment are included: When you buy magicJack for $49.95, one year of service is included in the price.

• Calling on the go: Send calls to your home straight to your smartphone without using any of your plan minutes. Data speeds affect call quality, so be sure to use 4G or a Wi-Fi network.

• Free magicJack-to-magicJack: While all local and domestic long distance are free, international calling is only discounted unless both caller and receiver have the magicJack. Any calls from one magicJack to another are free.

by Ellen Muraskin VoIP Advisor

Ellen Muraskin has been writing about telecom and IT since 1993 when she joined the marketing department of Dialogic. In 1996 she joined the editorial staff of CMP’s Computer Telephony Magazine, rising to Executive Editor before joining Ziff Davis Media to launch the VoIP topic center of their eweek.com site. She served as senior copywriter for IT infrastructure company Raritan and has written and edited for several publications.

magicJack Company Information