2.2/5 (1299 ratings)

About magicJack

magicJack Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about magicJack?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about magicJack?

Original review: May 26, 2022

It is worse than a gym membership to try and cancel an account. My mother had several strokes and cannot verbalize and even though I have the power of attorney they refuse to cancel the account without speaking directly to her. Customer service is a joke. Do not do business with this company.

Original review: May 12, 2022

I noticed that my MagicJack number was not receiving calls and it tell callers that my number is not assigned. I chatted with MJ customer support and they said my email account does not exist and insinuated that I was telling lies. He asked me to log into my account which I was able to with the same email address that he told me did not exist. I asked him to explain to me what next to do since I have emails from MagicJack that was sent to me when I made my last payment about 5 months ago. He insisted that I should tell him another email (I do not have another email to tell him) for verification. He finally logged me off from the chat, I was embarrassed and felt frustrated. I tried other means of getting across to the company, but there was no other means. This is by far the worst customer service I have ever seen. I am not so sure that customers' information is safe and have not been compromised with this company.

Get buying tips about VoIP Internet Phone Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 27, 2022

I needed to replace a failed MagicJack home. I had an extremely hard time installing the new unit despite following carefully all instructions. No technical support or customer service was available after 4 pm. When I finally contacted technical support in the Philippines the day after, the support was totally unfriendly, in poor english and ineffective. I tried again in the afternoon hoping to get support from a different tech who was also very difficult to understand. I will try again one more time before giving up on magic jack and returning the unit to the store. Magic jack is not the best product on the market and is probably the worst customer service there is.

Original review: April 25, 2022

I have been a MagicJack customer for 13 years and have been impressed with their product and service but no more! I renewed my service for one year. The stated cost was $43.00 and written below it were the words "no additional fees". After paying, the receipt showed I had paid over $50.00. I tried to cancel but was told to send an email. I did so but 3 days later had not heard back so I called. It took many tries but I finally got to talk to someone who told me they would not refund my money even if I cancelled because the company does not process refunds. It is in their policy.

I told them that any company or service provider who will not offer a refund is not worth doing business with and I do not know how they get away with this policy. They said that because I initiated the payment their policy does not allow them to send a refund. I told them I have initiated payment with thousands of companies over the years and this is the first one that has such a policy. I don't know how they get away with this. I told them that is fraud and I hope they get sued for this. I will finish out this year and end my relationship with MagicJack forever. And I hope that they get sued for everything they have.

Original review: April 20, 2022

Magic Jack use to be a good service, now you have a terrible connection, it keeps on cutting out during the call, calls drop. The staff are rude. NOW the company wants to charge an ADMINISTRATION FEE. They will NOT accept Indian Status for taxes. Staff constantly try and pressure you to buy additional services you do not need. With all the new technology for internet provides this company is falling behind. Six months before a service is due the company sends emails saying payment is due NOW, not six months from now.

Original review: April 2, 2022

I had a Magic Jack years ago for long distance and I just plugged it in and it worked. So I did not check any reviews. This time had been a nightmare. On February 17th 2022 I bought a Magic Jack. I installed it and it would let me talk for 5 minutes and then it would drop the call. Called Magic Jack. Told me to try another phone. Did not work. You could not speak to a human. You had to text back and forth. Texted again and they told me to unplug the router for a minute and plug it in again. Did not work. Texted again and they told me to open ports 5060 and 5070. Called the route company and opened the ports. Did not work. Texted again and they told me to unplug the router again and wait 5 minutes and plug it in again. Still did not work.

By this time it has been over a month because every time I called I had wait to see if it was going to work. I also had to wait 10 days for my number to be transferred. I texted Magic Jack again and they said I needed a new router. I told them I had just bought this router. So they said I need a new Magic Jack. I told them I had just bought the Magic Jack. They said I needed to update it anyway.

They sent me a new one and so far it has worked. That shows the other one was defective. They said I needed to send the defective one back to them within 15 days or they would charge me the cost of it. I feel being it was defective they should pay the return fees. They refused to pay it so I have no choice but to pay for it. I would not buy a Magic Jack again and I would not suggest anyone else buy one either. There is no service if you have a problem and when they can't solve the problem they are rude.

Original review: March 24, 2022

I was trying to renew my service, but they had the wrong email listed on my account... It took a few MONTHS before they finally fixed it (this was a very long process) and very frustrating. They finally took my money, and what do you think happened next? My phone didn't work. After trying to get ahold of MagicJack for another week or 2 to get some help, they finally said "your device must be the problem" so I paid for a new one. And guess what? Yup, it still didn't work...

I tried all the things it said to try on their web page: unplug everything, reset everything... I spent HOURS trying to fix it. I gave up several times to try again later (I run a daycare in my home so the kids keep me pretty busy and it's hard to spend very much time on something like this). I tried getting help through chat, but there was a pop up that was covering the bottom half of my phone screen (so I couldn't see what I was typing). I asked if they could please call me, and guess what response I got???? "If you upgrade to a better plan, we can call you. Otherwise I don't have that option. " Are you freaking kidding me????

At this point I'm so mad I can hardly contain myself, and decided to cancel my "service". So I called them again (the only way I could actually talk to someone is by choosing the new customer option). And guess what??? I took too long to let them know my new device wasn't working, and now I can't send it back. Not only that, they said the 3 years I paid for is also non refundable!!! There are no words for how angry I am right now. And do you think they let me talk to a manager when I asked? Of course not! The "manager" was busy... She said she'd have him call me though. Do you think I got that call? Nope. Just an email telling me the same things I was told on the phone. I will NEVER, EVER deal with magicjack again. And if I could sue them, I would.

Original review: March 4, 2022

You will sign up for their service and they will send you a device. The device after a year will start not working giving you a terrible service so they will tell you that you need to buy a new device to have a decent service this will go on each year. So the amount they tell you you are going to pay for year is not true... You will end up paying about $110.00 usd per year. All they care is Making Money not giving you good service and because they got you hooked in multiple year contract you either pay for a new device or you throw your money away for the years you have not used.

Original review: March 1, 2022

I signed up with MJ thinking since I rarely use my home line there was no point in paying a lot per month to the local phone company. Well, to say the least it has been a huge headache. After a long and complex set-up process, the system worked for a few days, then I could no no longer receive calls. The phone rings but when I pick up I get a busy signal & the call goes right to voicemail. I have been on my cell phone three times chatting with Support for 2 hours today and everything here seems to be working fine. I am not using a rotary phone. I only have 1 phone plugged in. I reset the modem multiple times, powered down and rebooted everything multiple times, changed the ethernet and phone cables, plugged the ethernet cable into my modem and D-Link switch, but still all calls fail.

Each time I call support they seem a lot more interested in getting me to type my address in exactly as it appears on the account; all the same spacing, caps, periods, and abbreviations. If one period, space or anything is missing, you are SOL. Perhaps if they used better equipment the system would work better. When I look at the cheap plastic lightweight hardware and cables they provide, it looks like something you would buy at a Dollar store.

Paying $50 a year for 2 weeks of minimal service and then many days of headaches and no phone is not worth it. Also, there is no number to call and their Chat system on my phone was a joke with the Support Chat Box hovering over my Reply Box so I couldn't quickly reply, but rather had to expand the window in order to find a small corner to click on. Really, nothing about this service works for me. Even the time on my phone goes to 3 goes to hours ahead right after I reset it. If you live in Canada or a different time zone than MY, that will be another issue.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2022

I've been a magicJack customer for almost 15 years. I've even given them good reviews in the past. But no more. Last summer I spent a lot of money to get international calling credit, but after little use it disappeared before the end of the year. I contacted a customer service agent who said that minutes expire after 6 months. I explained that this has never happened in all of the years that I've been with them and that I had no doubt missed the new fine print alert. Who reads the fine print every time you top up minutes? I spent lots of time trying to get to a supervisor, but that was such a pain that I finally settled for an offer they eventually offered me, which was to plead my case via email. No luck there. Not the slightest bit of forgiveness. Count me a previously satisfied but now a very disappointed customer.

magicJack author review by Ellen Muraskin

Sold in more than 25,000 retail stores, magicJack is an industry leader in direct-to-consumer VoIP services. It holds a number of foundational patents on which the VoIP industry is built and is part device, part service.

• Deeply discounted pricing: Where other service providers charge a monthly fee, magicJack offers a variety of plans, with prices as low as $120 for five years.

• Easy installation: Taking plug-and-play to a whole new level, all you need to do for installation is plug the magicJack between your router and your phone.

• Service and equipment are included: When you buy magicJack for $49.95, one year of service is included in the price.

• Calling on the go: Send calls to your home straight to your smartphone without using any of your plan minutes. Data speeds affect call quality, so be sure to use 4G or a Wi-Fi network.

• Free magicJack-to-magicJack: While all local and domestic long distance are free, international calling is only discounted unless both caller and receiver have the magicJack. Any calls from one magicJack to another are free.

by Ellen Muraskin VoIP Advisor

Ellen Muraskin has been writing about telecom and IT since 1993 when she joined the marketing department of Dialogic. In 1996 she joined the editorial staff of CMP’s Computer Telephony Magazine, rising to Executive Editor before joining Ziff Davis Media to launch the VoIP topic center of their eweek.com site. She served as senior copywriter for IT infrastructure company Raritan and has written and edited for several publications.

magicJack Company Information