1.41/5
Based on 758 reviews that contain star ratings

Looking for a good VoIP provider?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

916 magicJack Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

I had magicJack for years and had no problems. Then about 6 months ago I started having call quality issues like echoes, etc. I figured it was my MJ device that was probably going bad (MJ Plus). I bought a new MJ device (MJ Go) from Best Buy and had problems immediately. I was not getting Caller ID and my calls were getting dropped. Contacted customer service and they said they were working on the problems. About a week later I started getting Caller ID, but the dropped calls continued. I got sick of typing messages back and forth with customer service so I paid $10 for their Concierge Service so I could talk to a customer service representative.

He (Ric) told me that MJ thought when they solved the Caller ID problem that it would also fix the dropped call problem. He had me track my dropped calls (date, time, incoming or outgoing. I tracked the calls for a couple of weeks and emailed the information to Ric in customer service. He said he passed the information on to the tech guys. A month later and my calls are still getting dropped. I tried emailing Ric twice since then to get an update on fixing my problem, but no response. My guess is that they have no idea how to fix the problem. Oh well, I'm paid up until June 2020 so I'll mainly just use my cell phone and occasionally use the MJ to see if the problem gets fixed. How could it work great for years and then go to hell?

Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

We went to magicJack to save money like everyone else. We have never received more telemarketing and robocalls in the 30 years we had this number than we have in the past few months since porting to magicJack. I can't prove it, but believe they sold our info to these companies to make their money another way. We contacted customer service to disconnect our number and go to just cell service, after being totally frustrated by these calls. We did as they said and sent an e-mail requesting our number to be donated back to the originating carrier that holds that block of numbers.

It is several weeks later and several phone calls and e-mails later... there is forever a message on our number saying we aren't available and advertising magicJack's services. This is not acceptable - this was our number for 30 years and legally is supposed to go back to the other carrier - now if someone that knows us calls the number, they get an ad for a company we don't want to use!

Get expert buying tips about VoIP Internet Phone Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

I was pleasantly surprised with the ease with which we were able to port our Canadian phone number to magicJack from Bell Canada - I spoke with an MJ rep re a disconnect request from Bell and got questions answered. MJ looked after the whole transfer. Had to do some minor rewiring of the Bell phone line into the house to the line from the MJ device, but an easy DIY job. The MJ service has good sound quality - very happy with the change to MJ - recommended!

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

DO NOT BUY MAGICJACK!!! I purchased a magicJack from Amazon. I went through their process and did a check to confirm my number could be ported. I paid their non-refundable (PROFIT SCAM) porting fee, waiting the required time. Then, after the time I get an email saying my number could NOT be ported...(thanks for the money). Their customer service is so bad, I spent a crazy amount of time that I finally just gave up and threw in the towel.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

I have been a user of magicJack for over 5 years. Recently magicJack has introduced call screening to it VOIP service. If someone calls from a telephone number that is not on the magicJack system, the call goes to magicJack call screening. The caller is asked to press a random number from 1 to 9. If the number is not pressed within 12 seconds, the call is disconnected. Most robo calling programs are unable to input this additional number. This has eliminated 99% of the robo calls that my wife and I received on our home phone. I pay $35.00 a year for magicJack phone service and for the price it can't be beat.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about magicJack?

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

Saw adverts saying that this can save you a bunch when from your landline costs. Got talked into purchasing 2 because there was a deal... one for me and one for my grandson. I have struggled with it for a while and the system is inconsistent... sometimes answers, sometimes goes to voicemail right away without ringing, sometimes rings forever and does not go to voicemail. When I called they said to go to customer support... Already had tried all the things to fix it. They told me I could get a refund if a problem... Did not tell me I was going to be out $40 to ship it back to them to Texas. Don't buy it if you wish to depend on it for a phone call with voicemail to the computer. People at customer service are rude and when I said it didn't work and could not get it to work with computer instructions they said they could give me premium service that I could pay for... REALLY???

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

Have had mJ for a year now, after getting ripped off for a bogus "late fee" by my previous provider (Voipo). Setup was fairly painless, and the quality of calls is good. The device has spontaneously disconnected from its servers a couple of times, resulting in an "unavailable" message given to callers. Power-cycling the device restored service.

I did have to pay to have my number ported but I understand that's a network fee that is charged anytime a number is ported to another provider. I got the first year of service free and was able to renew 3 years for $89 (a good deal compared to my previous provider which was 2 years for $150). The only thing that bugs me is the "administrative fee" that they add on when you check out. That is not mentioned in their pricing. If they weren't sneaky about that I would have given them 5 stars.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

Before I bought magicJack I called the customer support department and I asked them If I could do a number transfer. They said yes. Went to Best Buy Magic Jack. I tried to do the registration and it said there was a $23 Number transfer fee. Which I know is illegal because The phone number belongs to you And no other company charge a transfer fee. They also told me that I would get my number ported over by the 13th. Today's the 14th and I still have not gotten the number transferred over. So today's date. I am out over $50 with this stupid thing. Customer service is very rude. If this is not resolved by the end of the day today I'm going to request to get my money back. Very bad experience.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

I don't know what problems these other people have had, but all I can say is great things about my magicJack. It has worked perfectly for over a year, without not one problem. The APP does what it is supposed to DO PERFECTLY! YOU MUST FIND A GOOD WIFI THOUGH. The sound is superior to Verizon, the customer service works like it should and the money I have saved is phenomenal. WHAT ELSE CAN I SAY!!!

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

I want everyone to know that if you take advantage of this free trial period and you reside in Canada or U.S. that you will pay for the shipping to you and also if you don't want to keep it you have to pay to ship it back to Texas. In Canada the shipping fees are twice as much as in U.S. They are not very helpful or informative when you have a problem. I ordered a newer device because my original one had so much static on it that I couldn't talk and had to hang up. It sat in Chicago for 30 days and I thought it was lost so bought one here for more money and they wanted me to ship the lost on and pay again. That means I would pay twice and still not have a device to use. Plus shipping fees in Canada are twice the price. How fair is this? Make sure you ask all the questions you can think about and maybe record the phone call or just don't order.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

My MagicJack wasn't working. So I called customer service. They couldn't fix it. They said I needed a new one, if I bought it they'd give me a free year of service. I did that. I received it, plugged it in, it still didn't work. This time customer service fixed it. But they WON'T GIVE ME THE FREE YEAR! They say the MagicJack I have is the old one and that only if I use the new one will they give me the free year. I told them this IS the one I bought. They don't care. And they WON'T budge. I've talked to them 4 times, and they keep promising to email me, call me back, etc. and they never do. Never in my life have I experienced this kind of bureaucracy. PAY THE PHONE COMPANY! So much better than MagicJack.

Original review: July 29, 2018

I see lots of negative reviews for magicJack - it doesn’t work, can’t use it with my router, they took away my phone number, it doesn’t let you log out, bad customer service, hidden fees. WOW!!! Can’t believe this. I have been using magicJack since early 2011 (late last year switched to the “go” and I have NEVER had the slightest problem with this VOIP service). I would absolutely recommend it to anyone. It just works for me. Folks don’t connect it to your computer. Connect it to your router. Had it connected to a Netgear router now a new TP Link Router. Absolutely no problems. Always a reliable dial tone and clear calling.

Bad customer service? I wouldn’t know. Over 7 years of having it and never once had to deal with customer service. And it sends and receives faxes with no problems. Folks, ANY VoIP is only as good as your internet being up and running and your power not being out. That’s the chance you take with VoIP. I pay $36/ yr for the service. $10 for the vanity number and $3 plus for the tax and 911 service. C’mon folks, that’s less than $50 for an entire year of service. I seriously can’t figure out all of these complaints when I have had absolutely no problems with the cost plus the actual service. As far as I’m concerned, magicJack is fantastic.

Original review: July 17, 2018

I am an IT professional and know how to configure gateways, firewalls, etc. I had to PAY for support and they cannot get the MagicJack to work when connected to my router. I have spent countless hours with them to no avail. I have assigned a static IP with port forwarding with no success. So then they say they'll send me out a replacement. But no wait, it's now OUT OF WARRANTY! I have to pay $9.99 for the replacement. Are you kidding me? I'm calling my credit card company next. Do not do business with these people. They do not have a good product and they do not care.

Original review: July 16, 2018

MJ changed rule last year in 2017 saying that it permits one App per device. In February 2018 I was advised by MJ customer service to get a new US number by paying just $10 for my second iPhone. I thought the problem was resolved as it worked for 3 months. Then couple of week back I realized they de-activated my new telephone number! The first 2 calls to customer service promised me to reactivate the telephone number. Saying it will take 24 hours to do.

Today after the 4th day of making first call, I spoke to Ms. ** their "Customer Service Manager" in their Palm Beach, FL location, and she said they will not reactivate number because I was not supposed to have received a telephone number for my iPhone in the first place! So I requested that they refund my $10. She said no because it was over their 30 day limit for refunds. I said it was working fine for over 3 months and it was MJ who advised me to get this telephone number for my iPhone App! She said that is policy and that I will not get a refund nor my telephone number back. The $10 is not that much to lose but losing the telephone number is devastating! What petty things Sales Team in magicJack do to get additional $10 in sales! It's pathetic! It's a fraud!

Original review: June 23, 2018

MagicJack has worked for me for approx. eight years, but in 2018 it suddenly stopped working. I ordered a new jack, then a new magicJack, would not work, looked up problem solving on Youtube and anywhere else I could think of. Got in touch with magicJack. I think they tried to help, but the techs you talk to talk too technical. They don't realize most of us don't understand how to run a speed test and open in another window and other stuff. I had no idea what he was talking about. So I gave up, dropped magicJack, even though I had a year left. Got a regular cell phone. If magicJack wants to keep their customers. They have to use layman's terms to help you and why did magicJack stop working anyway? When I looked up problems with magicJack there was a lot of complaints about it. Thanks for letting me complain.

Original review: June 21, 2018

Does anyone know if there is a problem with magicJack the company and services? For the last 4 years my magicJack provided outstanding service. Something has gone wrong in the last few months. Caller ID doesn't work and the phone is not as clear as it was. It is continually cutting off and I have to reset it. I have used MJ for 6 or 7 years and the first year or so, it seemed they were getting the bugs out and did so. It would be good if they would send out an e-mail to all customers or post to their website if there is a central problem that everyone is experiencing. I was so excited to pay only $40 per year for home telephone service. Just want to know if anyone else is experiencing these problems now with this great product?

Original review: June 15, 2018

Both a relative and me purchased MagicJack without reading the reviews unfortunately thinking it was a good deal. It turned out to be nothing but frustration for us both. The service is very spotty, their software is dysfunctional and antiquated (they do not even provide an "exit" or "quit" option), so you'll be continually annoyed by it taking over your device.

Even worse however is their non-existent customer service, as countless others have complained about throughout the Internet. They will also charge you for "free" services, like an additional number, but then take away your numbers without even notifying customers. This happened to both of us, and recently they refuse to add the numbers, or any number, back on, even though we paid for it. This appears to be a foreign company operating a sales office in West Palm Beach. If you have a complaint, file one with the Florida Attorney General, it will fall on deaf ears if you complain to MagicJack, which can only be done by an email address that ignores you. Stay clear of this rip-off.

Original review: June 10, 2018

I've had MagicJack for many years but now they have Call Blocking. I used it and now it blocks every incoming call even the ones on my contact list. So I get NO incoming calls at all. Been in contact with them and they keep saying, they are working on fixing it. It's been 5 weeks now.

Original review: May 28, 2018

I've been using it for many years now and a few years ago I upgraded and got the kind that is connected to the modem and always works and the computer does not have to be on. Where else are you going to get unlimited phone use, an app you can make calls from for about $40 a year with voicemail, etc. I think most people leave negative reviews so I tried to think of something I am very happy with and my first thought was MagicJack.

Original review: May 23, 2018

I have had a miserable experience with this company, I canceled my service within 24 hours of receiving the device. Was told it takes 2 days to release my number and a month later, they still haven't released it. Don't try to get customer support, they put you on hold forever. I would not recommend this company.

Original review: April 28, 2018

Are you aware that your company has scammers using your service just to annoy people and I'm not the only one! I usually get 10 to 12 hang-up calls and some within 5 minutes of each other. Additionally, if I make or receive a phone call, they make a call to me and hang up or say "goodbye" which is enough to hit the answering machine. They also target my cell phone. I'm in the process of reporting them to the FTC and when that happens, and their doings are found to be a form of stalking, and this might affect your business. I often get the IRS message that I'm going to jail and then the windows message telling me that my windows program is corrupt. This has been going on for over a year when my bank got $530 returned from Geeks Planet, Inc. and there's also Votso in Florida with Marv **. Do what you want... just giving you a forewarning.

Original review: April 20, 2018

Worst Customer Service Award goes to...Magic Jack of course. March 2017 I was "up for renewal". My bank account information had changed and I was having trouble updating it online so I called customer service. They FORCED me to buy a "new upgraded box" which was ACTUALLY an entirely new system (like a second line) and then charged me a year of renewal on top of it. ($80.85) The rep TOLD me I would get a "year free" with this, so 2 years. I confirmed this multiple times.

Fast forward to now. I'm surprised with a "Your subscription is expired" notice. "How?" I think "I should have another year." So I call again. The rep, Ren, confirms that the other guy basically lied and says he's happy to process my payment. I'm out the extra money and he has no solution. "You can keep that equipment and use it if the other breaks". I've been a customer for over 5 years...I'm appalled that you have no customer service solutions. You should have apologized and credited me a year of service.

Original review: April 6, 2018

I had Vonage and Ooma before which were both good companies and had good customer service and I decided to switch carriers because I wanted to save money, so I chose magicJack and I absolutely LOVE magicJack. The sound quality is excellent, and it has so many extra features that would cost you around $20 a month with Vonage that only cost $40 a year with magicJack! I have conference calling, blocking, and call waiting. It was so easy to hook everything up and it only took a few minutes. I will keep magicJack forever! I am saving SO much money now.

Original review: April 3, 2018

March 29 I called the customer service to get my pin number to give to the carrier to port my telephone number. The customer service rep told me I had to change my password. I asked why did I need to change my password when all I need was the password. I knew it was one of two I use. He told me not to ask any questions. I asked him again why I needed to change the password. He then said again don't ask questions just change it to 6 numbers of my choosing. So I did and he said that was now my password. I knew it wasn't but I thought well maybe... Then I call the carrier with the password. I can call out but can't get any numbers in. So I call on Sunday April 1 to find out the status of the port and was told magicJack will release it Tuesday April 3.

Call on April 3rd and was told the password I gave was wrong. So I guessed as to what I had and while I was on hold the carrier contacted magicJack, they agreed it was correct and they will now release it on April 6th. I have never had such poor customer service ever. I can't get cell service where I live, I thought magicJack would work since I have satellite. It doesn't work on Satellite. So I have been without the ability to receive calls for over a week.

Original review: March 29, 2018

I called to renew a magicJack phone number. I ordered a new magicJack device and requested my number that I currently had be reinstated. I asked for email confirmation which I received but NO confirmation on the phone number I call back again and an LIED to once again. I receive the device and I call in because they did not assign the number. After an 1/2 hour they have it resolved. Another lie I go to use the phone and it is telling me I need to renew my device after paying for a year. The lying rep renewed the old number and charged my credit card AFTER STATING that this was not what I wanted to do. I have cancelled my service with these lying SOS. If you want CUSTOMER SERVICE TO LIE TO YOU ABOUT EVERYTHING SIGN UP. You will waste an hour of your time resolving all the lies.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

I have 2 S5s Refurbished bought off eBay for pretty good price... & I use magicJack App stemming from the days of the magicJack USB & Blue Lighted Box. But w/ the App I just use my Account Log In on the Android MJ app. Phone #/Voicemail/Text/Calling anywhere in the USA & other MJ devices. Now on the S5s the call quality is crisp & clear!! I bought for $99 60 months of service & when a call gets by me it goes thru to Gmail. I can listen to the Voicemail on Google Music & see the # & time the call was made!! Now I also use FreedomPop SIM on both the S5s I got the SIMS for .01 Penny each & downgraded to the free account... I get 200 &500 MB on the different phones... But it's AT&T 4G LTE so I use that to power my MJ calls when somewhere I can use WiFi. So far works out pretty good... & of course the MJ is able to be used over WiFi!! Thanks!!

Original review: Feb. 6, 2018

I wanted to change my number to a different number. One that I had when I lived in New York and they said it wouldn't be a problem. Wow. Here we are almost three and a half weeks later and I still haven't been able to port the number. I've tried and tried over and over again and I paid extra money to have that done and I still haven't gotten it done. I will never ever deal with magicJack again. They are horrible. They take your money. I put money on account for international calls and I didn't know is after a certain amount of time if you don't use that money that you put up you lose it and they just take it. I don't see how that's even legal but they do it. I would advise anybody who's thinking of going to magicJack they're horrible. They just do not want to deal with people. They just want your money.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

They hold your number hostage!!! I started the transfer request for my number to T-mobile on 01/19/2018. I contacted them again today, they said they do not know how long it will take. Yesterday, the phone customer service person told me to contact them via online to find out the status. Today, the online person told me to call to get the status.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2017

ZERO customer support! ZERO customer retention, ZERO compensation, ZERO after hours support. INSANE wait times due to the throngs of pissed off customers! If ONE of your active devices expires, you will get a annoying recording on ALL your numbers! You can not stop it, you are held hostage. You will hear that recording EACH TIME YOU PLACE A CALL on any of your numbers! System is totally oversold and sounds HORRIBLE! Forget about sending a FAX. Just won't work. I have tossed 2 of these magicJack devices into the fireplace tonight and will destroy the others tomorrow. This way I can't have a stupid moment and trust them again.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2017

I've been a relatively satisfied customer of Magic Jack for the last 6 years with 4 active devices. This morning I attempted to renew plans for 2 of my devices. The web site identified rates for 1 year ($39), 3 years (89) and 5 years ($99). However, the renewal webpage only offered the 1 and 3 year options. As information on the website indicated renewals could be done via phone - I called the toll free number 1-844-866-2442; the call center agent (Beth) told me the offer expired on October 18 - apologized and stated that the website was not yet updated to remove the offer. I asked to speak with a supervisor (Alexis) and didn't get any further.

The 5-year plan was not available and the only offer to correct the situation was 1 free month for each Magic Jack. I asked for her manager and was told I was speaking to the highest level of customer service available. Not satisfied with this response, I requested an email address where I could lodge my complaint. "customerservicemgr@magicjack.com" and have sent them a note with a print screen of the information (also attached to this review). Very poor customer service - I am now contemplating cancelling all my devices.

magicJack expert review by Ellen Muraskin

Sold in more than 25,000 retail stores, magicJack is an industry leader in direct-to-consumer VoIP services. It holds a number of foundational patents on which the VoIP industry is built and is part device, part service.

• Deeply discounted pricing: Where other service providers charge a monthly fee, magicJack offers a variety of plans, with prices as low as $120 for five years.

• Easy installation: Taking plug-and-play to a whole new level, all you need to do for installation is plug the magicJack between your router and your phone.

• Service and equipment are included: When you buy magicJack for $49.95, one year of service is included in the price.

• Calling on the go: Send calls to your home straight to your smartphone without using any of your plan minutes. Data speeds affect call quality, so be sure to use 4G or a Wi-Fi network.

• Free magicJack-to-magicJack: While all local and domestic long distance are free, international calling is only discounted unless both caller and receiver have the magicJack. Any calls from one magicJack to another are free.

• Best for: Residential users and salespeople.

Profile picture of Ellen Muraskin
    Ellen Muraskin VoIP Contributing Editor

Ellen Muraskin has been writing about telecom and IT since 1993 when she joined the marketing department of Dialogic. In 1996 she joined the editorial staff of CMP’s Computer Telephony Magazine, rising to Executive Editor before joining Ziff Davis Media to launch the VoIP topic center of their eweek.com site. She served as senior copywriter for IT infrastructure company Raritan and has written and edited for several publications.

magicJack Company Information