magicJack

Compare VoIP Providers

Research top VoIP Providers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I have been struggling to find a way to report an issue with MagicApp. It is a paid service wherein you can use your Android/iOs devices to use as phone. I have been using for almost an year and was working fine. Suddenly it stopped working. Different forum suggest to connect via Live Chat but seems that MagicJack has no focus on MagicApp. There is no email, Live chat OR phone number to report your issue. I am still trying to recover with the fact that there is no support option available. I wonder, how the company is surviving with this kind of support quality in today's world. Anyways, my advice to explore yourself if you plan to buy any magicJack product. Thanks.

They gave me 3 numbers going to a cell phone with no voicemail set up. Took me 1 hour to reach someone who understands English properly. The sales department is always available for new business but not if you're an existing customer. I gave them 1 star because that's the service they give existing customers. If you are prepared to get customers it's obvious you have to treat them good once you get them.

I had Magic Jack for years but they double charge my credit card, my credit card disputed the charge and Magic Jack put my account on review. I had to call to find out what happened. They said since my credit card disputed the charge I had to pay $26.99 to get my service back. So if your credit card dispute a double charge they will penalize $26.99 because you got your credit card to dispute the double charge. Shame it ended this way.

Very upset magicJack charged me twice on my credit card. When I did call them office was closed and couldn't use the online chat line. You know I don't appreciate being charged twice and message saying credit card was wrong. I am going to fix this problem ASAP. Hopefully they don't keep my card on file. I'll be WATCHING THEM VERY CAREFULLY NOW.

I had so many problems when I ordered magicJack for Business. First of all, they sent the hardware to the wrong address and it took 3 months for me to be able to use the service but they charged my credit cards for the three months that I didn't use it. I know the price is cheaper than other phone company but the customer service for business was horrific customer care service. I asked and changed my credit card payment and billing address 3 business days before the billing cycle and customer service people said it will update it the next day and I will see these changes on this coming up billing cycle but it didn't happen.

In addition to it, the customer service manager was not very professional at all and she disconnected my phone service right away without any proper notifications while I spoke to her over the phone. My company suffered million dollars contracts because my customers could not reach out to me for a week. I could not port out/transfer current phone number because my phone number was no longer active and I have to get new business phone numbers. The manager is horrible and she thinks that she is the owner of MAGICJACK company. I hope someday, this lady will get canned soon. She is suppose not to be there representing magicJack for Business.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about magicJack?

Double billing and difficulty in getting situation resolved. March 2nd I paid online to renew subscription ($35.00), March 3rd I receive confirmation that I have purchased another magicJack ($46.35). May 8th I receive another email from no-reply@magicjack.com, saying: "We have received a returned magicJack that you ordered on 03/02/2017. As noted on your purchase order, magicJack offers a 30-day free trial which expired on 04/02/2017. Unfortunately, we can not credit your account at this late date but we would be happy to send you a NEW replacement magicJack. Please click here for your replacement magicJack. Please note that this offer for a gift replacement magicJack will expire on 05/16/2017." The item was returned via Canada post (**) the day after it was left at my door. Thanks for your help.

MagicJack has charged me for two phones. I only have one, and they refuse to reimburse. I had a magicJack for many years as an emergency phone. The service was poor, the customer service was even worse, but for the money, it was a good emergency back-up and they were at least honest. Recently my household developed a need for a backup phone, and while I had not had a magicJack for 5 years I thought I'd buy and try one again. I tried to connect it myself. Found their website was very far from user friendly. Then I got customer support and the new device was hooked up; it has served its purpose and I decided to renew this year.

When I signed into the account I found that magicJack had charged me for two accounts. 1) the new one and 2) the one I have not had in five years. They refuse to fix the error, claim it is my fault, they are rude and have basically committed petty fraud. I spoke to "Agnes" in the Philippines who said they will not refund and there is nothing I can do. Can you imagine how many millions of dollars this must amount to if they do it to all customers? While it is not a lot of money for one person, it is still stealing and overall scummy business practice! One final note! I have proof of purchase in e-mail. I tried repeatedly to upload them in different formats. This site would not allow any of them.

Bought magicJack GO yesterday from Best Buy here in Canada. Was on sale for $45 (Canadian). I had very serious problems activating it. I was trying to get a local number in Montreal (514). I've been charged $10 (US) for nothing the first time I've tried to activate it. I did called the 1-800 several times, these support people on the 1800 line don't know anything...

My advice: you actually need to use the chat service to get competent people and ask for remote assistance support! Or you'll deal with people who don't know anything about setting up/activating the device. After 3-4 hours of struggle it works but I still don't have a number in Canada. They told me the Canadian server is down, that someone brought back my device to Best Buy and it had been activated before. They're FINALLY taking care of me. First calls they were telling me to bring back my device and to order one with them (at what? $65 US... Sure =)). No thanks... You need to be patient. I had great support after 3-4 hours! He's supposed to call me back to replace my US number with a local number.

Customer service: LEVEL 1 support is BAD. Extremely bad... but if you escalate to LEVEL 2-3 (don't hesitate) using the chat service you might get someone who can help. Remember: ask for remote assistance (that's the secret password). Value: Seems good since Bell Canada is asking like $20-40/month for a landline (depending if it's part of a landline+TV+Internet package or not). Cheaper than Oumla and other VoIP package. Quality of the hardware/VoIP network (calls)/Android App seems REALLY GOOD. I don't see any difference with normal landline. Once it works it seems a good deal. I read many reviews here, seems like people are bringing it back without really investigating. Be patient folks and you'll save money. Big telcos (like Bell) are ripping us off. I don't know in the US but here it's ridiculous.

Their service really sucks. I am having a problem with my caller ID. When I call out it shows my number as unknown. I have been trying since January to get it fixed. I added a second line to my account and when I did that it quit working. They keep saying they gave it to the engineer to fix it. I think they are lying about everything. The only way I got them to call me back was I filed a complaint with the BBB. You need to file complaints with the BBB, the FTC.gov and the FCC.gov. The FTC told me they can't go after these companies unless people complain. Also I discovered that they moved their corporate offices to israel. They hold only a local office in Florida. They will not do anything until the federal government fines them.

When we contacted magicJack to start working with them, they immediately took care of us, followed up, and made the sale. Phones were sent to wrong address. One of the phones needed to have number updated, one month later it has not happened. I called the customer care number and was on hold for 45 minutes and no human being answered phone. I emailed the customer care email and it has been 3 days and no one has answered (even copied the salesperson). Very disappointed, ready to cancel account without even having used it (needed help setting up the three lines, conference call number).

Consumer Increased Rating!

I've paid a total of $40 for a bogus international subscription with magicJack in order to make phone calls to North Africa: within a time period of 6 months I was not able to reach the other party a single time. Every time I called it says "your call is being routed" then started charging me out of my prepaid balance and keeps ringing forever then either the tone became busy or it just says "thanks for your call!" While with regular international prepaid calling card even the cheapest ones I was able to reach the other party at the first try.

When I called magicJack to complain they said they can't refund the balance left ($35) and tech support said they are not responsible for the quality nor the efficiency of the third party international call handler they are subcontracting! It is to be noted that when first tested magicJack international calling with a 10$ prepaid balance I got some calls getting through with some 40% loss, but after I submitted the 40$ prepaid I was never able to achieve a successful phone call again! Weird stuff!

I have been using magicJack for a couple of years and was so shocked at the negative reviews, I wanted to post my experience. Used the first (older) device connected to my pc and for a small business. The device works great for the money. Randomly there have been a few small glitches in the dialing, but otherwise, the call quality is great. Just purchased the Magic Jack Go because I am sick to death of Comcast's outrages fees and lack of customer service.

I ported my home line over to the magicJack Go (for an additional $20). No computer necessary, plug the device into my router and you can plug a landline into the second port on the device. If you do not want to use with a landline, log into your online account and have the calls either ring simultaneously to your cell, or simply forward all calls to your cell (that way you are not using a "landline phone."). I hope they keep the price for magicJack low in the coming years. I have no regrets after about 4-5 years using my magicJack. Insofar as customer service, come on people -- at $35 a pop, what do you expect? Everything you need to know is online -- read and learn -- and save!

Do not buy from these people. The salesman lied to me and said we didn't need a landline to use this. Well, it turns out you do. I had bought two MagicJacks for each of our homes to use with a Brother fax-printer in each place, plus spare ink cartridge packs for each of the Brother items. So since I am stuck in NYC due to health issues and cannot fly for up to six weeks from now, there is the problem of returning the Brother printer and the ink cartridges in Florida. I have had to pay our handyman to do this, having mailed the Amazon labels to him. MagicJack wants me to PAY to return their product. Instead I am abandoning both of them. I am just out of surgery and can hardly stand, don't have the energy to take the NYC item to the USPS station. It would cost a lot to send it back to FL anyway. I'm not paying my handyman to return the MagicJack. It would cost me more than the purchase price to pay him and mail it back.

Renewed my subscription and was unaware that my phone was not working (the old magicjack was turned back on instead of the new one) until I received a voicemail from MagicJack asking me to renew. I called them on 2/7/2017 regarding the issue. They wanted to charge me another 37.73 to turn the correct magicjack on and then they would reimburse me for the $37.73 on the old equipment. I refused to give them another 37.73, so I asked them to close my account out and send me my 37.73, which they stated they would do.

One week later, 2/14/2017, the 37.73 has not been received, but they claimed that credited me back. I called my bank and they stated there were no deposits in my account from MagicJack and nothing showing in activities for an upcoming deposit for 37.73 from MagicJack. So, I called MagicJack back and they still were saying they sent the refund back to my account. So, I guess I have just lost 37.73. I will never use their service again.

When I bought magicJack on the phone, the sales person confirmed 3 times that I can speak to a live person on their toll free number. After setting the service up, and needed help, they said I had to go chat with someone on their website and they have no one there who can talk to me about my problem. When I confronted their customer service with this, he said "What do you want to do about it". No apologies or any accountability like it was wrong and "we'll address this with our sales department."

I added $40 to my account for international calls. Here is what it cost me at the end: $40 pre payment for international calls; $3.12 admin fee, $6.68 FCC fees. $49.80 Total which means I paid almost 25% extra for this service. I think this is a scam and it will be the very last time I make this payment. Something else to say about this service is when you make an international call and you get a voicemail on the other side, it cost you a unit. Voice quality is very bad too. I had enough of MAGIC JACK!

Sales listened to my needs but didn't hear. After you talk to sales and order, don't count on speaking to ANY human from this day forward. I have had MJ for 10 days now and can NOT get any answers. With their www.magicjack.com, I have plugged, re-plugged, reconnected, unplugged over 45 times and they still have not HEARD... I can receive calls, I can makes calls (well sometimes). I have complained about dropped calls, not receiving all calls. 10 friends received the message "This Magic Jack customer is not accepting calls." I AM the customer and have not rejected ANY calls. One very important relative that does not have a direct number, shows Private Caller, has been blocked... YES BLOCKED. I was able to make contact with that relative's carrier and yes they confirmed BLOCKED via Magic Jack.

Yes I paid MJ $19.00 to take possession of my landline #, so yes, I am saving $40.00 per month, but have in the last 10 days dealt with $140.00 worth of BS, spend at least 2 hours per day on the website www.magicjack.com. They are in the communications business but can't communicate one on one, human to human. Still waiting to hear from a HUMAN customer service manager from the complaint department. Yea, I didn't believe that would happen either and so far I am right again.

Very disappointed with this company. I ordered a magicJack for a trial free period for 30 days and two months later still did not receive my equipment HOWEVER they charged my credit card for it anyway. I tried calling them 4 times telling them I did not receive my equipment and when they track my order it is always at customs and has been there over a month. I call back to tell them I want a refund and they tell me I cannot get a refund since I passed the 30 days trial... Lol... I told them I don't have the equipment, never received it so how can I have a trial period without receiving equipment. They went ahead and told me they would send a request to accounts department and someone will contact me.

1 week later, no call. I decided to call them back this time with frustration and anger and demanded a refund... They said it takes 3 to 5 business days for refund... Waiting to see if it happens... First worst experience ordering online... Will never deal with them again!! Good luck to you all. With all the negative reviews I am actually glad I never received this equipment!!

So I hate magicJack, but I moved overseas, & needed a way to be able to text & call using a US phone number. After searching high & low, the only solution seemed to be magicJack, so I decided to get their app for $9.99 per year. I had issues with app not telling me at the top when I had messages or texts & after e-mailing & calling, I realized they are just too stupid to design/code an app properly, but I continued to use it because I had no choice. My year just expired & instead of receiving an e-mail via the e-mail address I signed up with, it went to my cell phone's e-mail which I rarely if ever use, so I only noticed a week later.

I called up to renew, & after wasting my time with the first Filipino, I got hung up on. I called back & GUESS WHAT! They NOW want to charge me a $35 equipment fee. LOL. There is NO need for ANY equipment to use the mobile app, but of course GREED is alive & well in magicJack land. I told her 3 times "I guess you don't want my business" & finally hung up. I will just do without. I'm going to be returning to the US soon anyway. I'm always shocked when I hear people singing magicJack's praises. I think they are INSANE. I had issues with the phone device when I lived in Panama & even before moving from Canada I had issues with their customer service & read the million long thread of complaints. My sister nearly hung up the phone on me. The clarity was so bad. There are so many better VoIP options, but unfortunately NONE that do what I need.

The worst I've ever dealt with in my life. Wow. Seems over the top...go ahead and try it yourself. Took 8 hours of phone conversations just to cancel. Tried to rectify without cancelling first. Feel fortunate just to have my bank account credited.

They are an unscrupulous company, the product really doesn't work!!! I was not able to record a voice mail greeting, after paying a professional to record a message we were not able to access the voice mail in order to record it. When you try to contact magicJack, well, that's when you realize they rather train a team of con artists making $8/hour to answer the phone and transfer you to an extension no one answers!

After several attempts, over 20 calls in three weeks, hours on hold just trying to reach a manager or a supervisor who could help solve the problem, my opinion and conclusion is: It's a shameless scam! These people should be arrested! From the upper management to the little con-artists answering the phones to complete the scam! Don't buy it! Don't be another victim! Remember, you get what you pay for, even though there are inexpensive but decent and honest products out there, this is NOT one of them!

My magicJack service was not working so I called Customer Service. I had ordered a five year service contract 3 years ago May 2013. I was told I now needed a separate fee for my phone number in addition to my service contract. This was the first time I had ever heard of such. I requested to speak to someone else because I couldn't understand her English that well and she told me to go to hell and hung up. This customer service woman should be terminated. This to me is a bait-and-switch to get more money. I spoke with magicJack and they told me all calls are recorded and they would look into it, and that a manager would call me back to discuss my concerns. I am still waiting. MagicJack has terrible customer service representatives and needs to review their policy towards their customer. I guess their policy is the customer is always wrong.

I recently attempted to renew my annual subscription. My CC was declined, where I received an email. I immediately applied a different CC. Three days later, my phone was shut off. I then contacted their live on-line customer service. After being on the line with them for about 20 minutes, they were absolutely no help. I then contacted the telephone customer service, where they were much the same. They wanted me to repeat everything, including my CC information that was already on their website. Needless to say, I was fed up. It wasted a good part of my day, and to boot, my phone was disconnected, even though my renewal info was given to them in plenty of time. The website was also awful, where I could not access any of the FAQs. Overall, a horrific experience.

I have had many magicJack since their inception. Up until this year I had no issues. I had to replace 1 due to a power surge. I asked to have the same number. I was told to get the same number I had to order through them. Ok np. I also asked if I can re-up for the new year, I knew it was coming up in December. They told me no problem. I pre-paid in August. Today I receive a email telling me I owed additional money to keep the number. First I go online, they tell me my number is a premium number. Uh no. It's was one of 17 they offered when I registered, when I told her that she cut me off the chat (and yes I kept the conversation on a word doc to prove it). I then called the 800 number. They said the same thing, I then got the same answer, I told her I had all the documentation to prove it. (I'm OCD about buying things and saving everything).

She challenged me, so I lost my cool said if I wanted a premium number I would have gotten 1800 smart ass. I'm not that kind of person, nor do I like confrontation, but they refused to budge on this and I had my original documentation from when I purchased the original magicJack, this was a deal breaker. This product was less than a year old. Instead of trying to work with me, she told me she will just credit me and she cut me off. Hey, ya know what? Who needs a company who double charges and has hidden costs and lies about their product. So I lost some money from this situation, but I learned, and I would rather go with a reputable company than deal with unprofessional people ever again. To people using this. I was once a yes person. Now I will NEVER EVER EVER... recommend them again. They are just fortunate I haven't taken to social media.

I have been using MJ+ since 2011. Recently I started getting static on my end. Tried moving it away from electronics to no avail. I called MJ at 8448662442 and prompt one. They sounded Indian. I explained the static problem and asked about a firmware upgrade. They said no upgrade but the NEW magicJack Go solves all the problems for "Only $42 for the MJ Go and an extra year of service." I said I'll try it but if it didn't work I will send it back (and, of course, cancel my CC payment.). Well I've used it all day today and it works perfectly!!! As an extra if you have the iPhone app (MagicApp) if someone calls your MJ Go landline, it will ring at home and on your cell phone if you are at a WiFi hotspot. I am going to Europe in December so it will be interesting how it works. Would be a great Christmas present. (I have nothing to do with the MJ company.)

I'm struggling to get my MJ working for last 2 weeks and is like talking to the wall. I some good reviews? Only good review I would give if you paid me. This is my complain to MJ: "The MJ (**) stopped working after someone from your side decided to remove from the system after another number in the same account got expired. First my father had to wait 2 minutes before message was planning on his line about number not related to his that will be soon expired. He doesn't speak English so he just patiently waited every time he called. After that other number got expired you disconnected his number??! The MJ (**) was never expired and I even paid ahead of renewal day!

When above number got disconnected the voice message was saying "THE NUMBER IS NOT ASSIGN". After I complain you send me email saying that problem was fixed but now the voice message saying "MJ YOU HAVE CALLED IS NOT AVAILABLE..." The MJ is plugged in properly. The only blue light is solid on. We tried to connect to PC but nothing happened. This MJ was working fine for years till now. Please fix it from your side or just refund money since it was your fault. Thanks." NO ONE IS INTERESTED TO HELP ME!

Bought a renew card that was activated to the wrong magicJack device. Online chat customer service had me click on cancel order trying to transfer to the right device. That closed out the newly bought card and I have been on chat customer service now for 6 days trying to get a credit back to the right device. They keep promising me that they will take care of it and that it has been elevated to upper management. 3 times now they have asked for 24 to 48 hours to remedy the situation. Still nothing. I really think they don't want to fix a problem that they created.

Multiple phone calls regarding a faulty magicJack device. Later I learned there is no recourse even though I have their extended 5 yr plan good through 10/2019. One call was 5 hours long and a supervisor supplied me with an ID # telling me I was under warranty. I was to call the "billing number" which they supplied. I spoke to 5 different individuals telling me they would not honor the so-called warranty and each in turn hung up on me when I asked for a supervisor. The billing clerks were rude/belligerent and hung up. Four long months of no service I tried again and just received a text from the Philippines "management supervisor" today informing me there was no way to assist me.

No one should apply for their 5-year program. If you have a faulty device sold by them you have no recourse. There is no warranty, no service of value and phone contact will leave you insulted at best. MagicJack and magicJackGo are scams at best. You will receive a different response from each individual you deal with. If you have hours of free time and want entertainment but not resolution, contact magicJack.

Despite all the bad reviews I've seen, I have to say I am pretty happy with their service. I've had the magicJack plus since 2011 and two things that is great for me is: (1) unlike the old magicJack with magicJack plus there is no need for having your computer on anymore to make or receive calls. Just power-up via adapter and connect to your router via ethernet cable; and (2) Install the magicJack app, now when I'm not home I get calls directly to my mobile via the app. I know a lot of people complained that some of their calls get dropped on the app. Note that I'm not disputing this however magicJack is voice over IP which require the use of data (either wifi/Mobile data) so this is directly proportional to the quality of your call.

The magicJackGO is awesome. I used an original MJ for many years and it worked well. Windows went out on my computer so I installed Linux which MJ does not recognize so I bought the new Go that plugs into my router. It was recognized immediately when I registered it. The big plus with the Go is my fax machine works with it. I highly recommend the MJ Go.

Expert Review

Ellen MuraskinVoIP Contributing Editor

Ellen Muraskin has been writing about telecom and IT since 1993 when she joined the marketing department of Dialogic. In 1996 she joined the editorial staff of CMP’s Computer Telephony Magazine, rising to Executive Editor before joining Ziff Davis Media to launch the VoIP topic center of their eweek.com site. She served as senior copywriter for IT infrastructure company Raritan and has written and edited for several publications.    More about Ellen→

Sold in more than 25,000 retail stores, magicJack is an industry leader in direct-to-consumer VoIP services. It holds a number of foundational patents on which the VoIP industry is built and is part device, part service.

• Deeply discounted pricing: Where other service providers charge a monthly fee, magicJack offers a variety of plans, with prices as low as $120 for five years.
  • Easy installation: Taking plug-and-play to a whole new level, all you need to do for installation is plug the magicJack between your router and your phone.
  • Service and equipment are included: When you buy magicJack for $49.95, one year of service is included in the price.
  • Calling on the go: Send calls to your home straight to your smartphone without using any of your plan minutes. Data speeds affect call quality, so be sure to use 4G or a Wi-Fi network.
  • Free magicJack-to-magicJack: While all local and domestic long distance are free, international calling is only discounted unless both caller and receiver have the magicJack. Any calls from one magicJack to another are free.
  • Best for Residential users and salespeople.

Compare VoIP - Internet Phone Service