1.35/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution
Looking for a good VoIP provider?
We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 10, 2017

887 magicJack Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 10, 2017

I've been a relatively satisfied customer of Magic Jack for the last 6 years with 4 active devices. This morning I attempted to renew plans for 2 of my devices. The web site identified rates for 1 year ($39), 3 years (89) and 5 years ($99). However, the renewal webpage only offered the 1 and 3 year options. As information on the website indicated renewals could be done via phone - I called the toll free number 1-844-866-2442; the call center agent (Beth) told me the offer expired on October 18 - apologized and stated that the website was not yet updated to remove the offer. I asked to speak with a supervisor (Alexis) and didn't get any further.

The 5-year plan was not available and the only offer to correct the situation was 1 free month for each Magic Jack. I asked for her manager and was told I was speaking to the highest level of customer service available. Not satisfied with this response, I requested an email address where I could lodge my complaint. "customerservicemgr@magicjack.com" and have sent them a note with a print screen of the information (also attached to this review). Very poor customer service - I am now contemplating cancelling all my devices.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2017

I bought a magicJack Go from Best Buy on Nov. 3, 2017 and was able to set it up, paid my US $10 for a Canadian number, somehow, after I got the number, at first it display my Canadian number under account and is valid till Nov, 3, 2018. But then when I tried to call, it said I have to renew my subscription, so I log in again and check, now the phone number part change into "not active"! I was so upset, so I called them, they told me I have to call the billing department the next day between 9 -7 at 1 844-866-2442 Option 2 and I did, but all you got is some nasty woman rep. and said they do not look after that and transferred me back to the same number 1 -844-866-2442 Option 1, I waited for half an hour on my cellphone and then this woman transferred me back to the original billing department.

This time, I got a guy, he is a bit nicer, but he cannot fixed it but he told me he has to refer to the higher management to fix it, and they will email me when it is fixed. I was really frustrated now so I came to this site to complain, but luckily I saw another person's complaints who is also from Canada, and he got the same bad experiences when calling them, but he got some tips there to go onto the LIVE CHAT to for help instead. But this is a bit tricky, if you click on any topic, it will just let you read, you have to choose, none of the above mention, twice, before you come to the part that will then lead to a form to fill in your name, account number and phone number, then click on live chat, then finally you got a real "LIVE CHAT".

These people are much helpful and experience. She talked to her supervisor, and told me they got problems with Canadian phone no. so she give me a US free number instead for the time being and then escalate the issue for me, so I got a US free number. I tried to call my own cellphone, but is always a busy signal, so she asked me to unplug the magicJack from the modem and plug directly to the Mac computer USB port and sent me a link to upgrade the firmware. But after I download it, and click it open, it said the image disc is damaged, please eject it, so I eject the image disc from my Mac. I was so desperate at this time, as after the firmware download, now I got no line display, no dial tone as well on my phone.

I told her to wait till I detached the magicJack from my USB port and plug back to the modem and get back a dial tone at least, and asked her to change my phone number back to a Canadian one, but she said she cannot since she deactivated it. But she assure me that they got the record, and she already escalate it for me, and they will fix it. Surprisingly, after I plug the magicJack Go back to the modem, I got back not just my dial tone, I can also call my cellphone, I tried to use my cellphone to call this US number, it also ring, but then it is long distance on my cellphone carrier. That means I can only call out, and if my friend call, it will be long distance for them until the escalate department fix the problem and give me back my Canadian phone number. She told me it probably takes about 48 hours, and told me not to worry, that I will not have to pay again for the Canadian number and they got record of it, and assure me that they will fix it for me.

Now I feel a bit better, I just hope that they fix it soon and email or call me soon. To be honest, the experience is terrible if you are in Canada, but if they finally fix it, it is worthwhile, as I have been ripped off by Rogers for years paying $45+ for my home phone, then when I said I will cancel it as they increase the price of the bundle every year, they gave me a deal for $28 for the home phone. It is more than $336 a year, and YET I discovered it when there is a power outage, my home phone does not work either, since it is no longer a true landline, Rogers use cable for the landline, so if your TV, Internet is down, your so-called landline is down as well. So, what is the point of paying so much, now magicJack Go cost me with tax $45 from Best Buy and even with the US $10, it is less than $60 for the whole year as the first year comes with 12 subscription, no contract, and you can renew it after a year if you are satisfied for $US 39.

So this is about $5 a month instead of $28, save over $300 a year x whatever how many years to go. So even with all these trouble and frustration, if you are patient and kept on escalate it and chat with the REAL LIVE CHAT, it is worthwhile still for all the trouble somehow, that is if they finally fix up my Canadian number!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

How a company does not provide tech support is be on me! You would think we are still in the 80's. I believe any business that does not provide support should not be able to do business. Even the poor "Live Help" on their website is a joke! It is not live no one to chat with at all!

Original review: Oct. 20, 2017

I was thrilled to hear about the low-cost phone option. "Too good to be true", well isn't that right? Two days in a row I was on the phone with multiple representatives. On day two, I started off by letting the lady know "I called twice yesterday and spoke to someone and the line was dropped both times, please if that happens can you call me back because I am so tired getting nowhere". She advised me they do not allow callbacks, fine. We sat on the phone for 40 mins going over the same steps, over and over again. Finally she told me that she will transfer me to tech support. I begged her not to drop the call, it went through.

"Hello billing inquiries." Sooo defeated at this point, that man was very rude and unhelpful wouldn't transfer me anywhere else. At that point it was my last resort for the online chat from "tech support". He again walked me through every step. Both computer and router options nothing worked. He then told me someone from "tier 2" would be able to assist me (take over my computer and do it for me). After waiting over 20 minutes for this "tier 2" I sent a series of messages asking about my estimated timeframe... nothing for another 5 mins. He then comes on then tell me no one is available until Monday. And more than likely I have a defective device. I'm sorry for not using proper grammar, spelling, and punctuation but after the day I had I just want to let it be known... MAGICJACK HAS THE WOOORST OPTIONS FOR CUSTOMER ASSISTANCE. Their tech support is a joke, don't waste your money!!!

Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

Okay so I went with MJ because I thought it was a great deal. I had been with Ooma and thought it would be the same quality and service. The call quality was inferior and the service was garbage. I went back to Ooma (far better product, quality and service). I asked to get my number ported back to Ooma and they kept refusing it. I'm 3 months into it and they have refused to port back to Ooma no less than 6 times. I am losing my mind. My number is important to me. I had ordered a second MJ device right after the first but never accepted it from the postman. i.e. returned to sender. I have asked for a refund for the last 3 months and they have yet to even call me back.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about magicJack?

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

I purchased 6 years of service with Magic Jack. When the equipment arrived I installed it as directed. The Magic Jack did not work. Technical support is only done by 'chat.' 'Chat' was not able to help so they gave me a phone number to call. Technical support was not able to help. Magic Jack was supposed to send out a return label and then send a new Magic Jack. They sent neither. Because I called 7 days beyond the 30 days they will not refund the cost of the Magic Jack. Only the cost of the 5 years. Magic Jack has agreed to refund the amount of $107.53 but not the $43.12. Very unsatisfied with Magic Jack.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

We have been a magicJack customer for about three years now. First time I needed to try to get support. They have a 24-hour tech support response guarantee... Took them five days to get back to me. Wound up messing up my account, and I can't fix it without reaching out to their tech support. Now I am trying to reach them via online chat, but have been waiting for over 20 minutes already. Product is ok if you don't have a problem. If you do, forget about it. They are completely incompetent at solving it and will take a long time to get back to you.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2017

I have a MagicJackGo Phone and have been using it for several years with complete satisfaction. There is sometimes noise on the line but I accept that as a reasonable expectation for such a low price. I decided to buy another MagicJackGo to tail with me when I travel, use it in conjunction with my laptop computer for free phone calls. I accepted an offer from magic jack for a second unit and tried to register it, it would not give me a number, it kept reverting back to my other GO phone.

Three long waits to speak to extremely rude agents did not solve the problem. They kept asking me for the phone number of my unit and I kept telling them it would not give me a number. We did this for what seemed like hours, over and over again, getting nowhere. I finally had my fill and junked the magic jack go. I still get email reminders that I have to register the device and they will not listen to what I have to say. I can't give them a number because they first have to give me one.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2017

Have magicJack for years, renewed or 5 years mainly for good prepaid international rates. Last Friday I refilled account with $40 what MAGICALLY was almost $50.00 charged to my bank account. After making approx. 15 min. calls to Germany my balance went down to $24.00. Many phone calls to absolutely useless Customer "Don'tCare" reps resulted in information that rates published on my account site (2 - 3 cents per minute) are NOT UPDATED and magicJack has NO CONTROL over charges imposed by other countries carriers. Charge was OVER $1 /per minute. On Saturday Sept 9th, 2017 I called UK and again MagicScamJack charges me more than $1 per minute instead of published 2 - 3 cents per minute. TOTAL SCAM!!! It sounds like case ready for Class A lawsuit for breach in contract and illegal overcharging of customers. Beware of MagicScamJack!

Original review: Sept. 5, 2017

I thought I would save money and try Magic Jack. I purchased the equipment and the website said I could port my current phone number. Then I had to pay to have my phone number ported. At first I could make outgoing calls but my phone would not ring. After reading multiple reviews I thought the problem maybe with my phone so I purchased a new home phone. When I finally got a new phone and hooked it up, I could no longer make calls.

The only way to contact anyone is through their chat service where I was told my magic jack was deactivated for some unknown reason and I could purchase a new magic jack for $10 but I could no longer port the number I had paid to port that. They never ported! So the number I have had for 30 years could not be ported since it was connected with my now defunct magic jack. But when I reconnected my home phone to my previous service it still worked and therefore my number was never ported. I have spent over $100 trying to save money on this fraudulent company. DON'T FALL FOR THIS BS AND DON'T GET MAGIC JACK. Trust me, any money you think you may save will only cost you!

Original review: Sept. 2, 2017

I purchased magicJack and they offered me 5 years of service at a discounted price so I purchased the 5 years. After a year the magic jack shorted out and caused a fire. I contacted magic jack customer service, explained my warranty was up. I needed to purchase a replacement unit for my account. They said it's non-transferable so if I purchased a new jack I would have to pay for another 5 years of service. I said but I have an account and paid for 5 years. I still have 3 years 9 months of paid service on my account. I just need a replacement unit so I can continue to use my prepaid service. They said I cannot use a new jack on my already paid service. I must repay for the new service on my new jack. I said, "Forget it." So I said my service is paid for 5 years so I will just link a email to my hone number and at least if someone calls me I can't answer the phone but at least I can get my messages.

Then they contacted me, said my phone number was about to expire. I called them back and said I paid for 5 years of service, that magic jack number should be good for 5 years. They said, "No. You must renew your number yearly at a yearly fee for renewal." I said I wasn't told that if I paid for 5 years and my jack broke after warranty that my service is non-transferable to a new jack and I must pay money each year to renew my number... If a person buys magic jack and pays for the 5 years of service that not your only fee. You must pay each year to keep a number attached to the account. That's dishonest. I should of been told that at time of purchase. I also should of been told that if my jack breaks after 1 year warranty it's non-transferable to a new jack. So you would be throwing away your money.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2017

I was quite happy with MagicApp because I have been using it for years for free. Then last year they introduced a fee ($9.99 US +tax). Wow that was a great deal... better than other companies. Well now I’ve had the paid service for one year and all of sudden, at renewal time, they do not allow customers to renew their service. I sent a support email to them and received a response fairly quickly. The response was to purchase a MagicJack device to be able to use the service again. WTF??? I've only ever used the app. I have no phone lines to either of my homes in Canada or Kuwait. So to continue with their service. I have to purchase a device that I will never use, just to get the app working again. I think that is called extortion!!! All other services auto renew, theirs does not. If you do not setup auto renew before your service period ends, you will lose their service, your number and they will try to extort the purchase of a device for $59.99 US + tax.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2017

My experience with the company, the product, and the customer service has been nothing but disappointing and frustrating. I'm a real estate agent and have purchased the Magic Jack device as my second business line. I downloaded the Magic app with texting capability so I could receive calls while I was on the go. However, the app was never perfect and was not compatible with my iPhone. Going through hurdles of talking to the right person, I complained to the technical department then the billing, then they passed my phone call back to the main line again. After four, five times attempts, I received an email from the upper management saying that "try our Magic Jack for business." No apology, no words about fixing the problem. No mentioned about the money I paid?!

I contacted the "Magic Jack for business" and was told it's a separate entity so they couldn't transfer my current account to the business account. I would have to pay again! No way would I ever give this company another try! I asked for my refund back because I have six years contract to deal with this lousy product and was told it was too late to cancel. "Why didn't you cancel earlier?" "There was nothing we could do." were their remarks.

Well, because they never disclosed their app was lousy from the beginning and the texting would get cut-off and scambled!? I was insulted when I complained about my problems to this female Indian representative, she was laughing as if she found it amusing! Now I understand why she only makes $10 per hour or maybe less, LOL on my side! I'd be curious to see when the doom day for this company will be. Again lousy customer service, horrible business and product. Even this one star review is way too generous for them!

Original review: July 14, 2017

I have been using MagicJack on and off for the last 10 years. I previously found the product to be glitchy and not a good substitute for regular landline service. However, recently AT&T won a legal battle in my state to phase out regular landlines by 2020. I definitely prefer a regular landline because it is not dependent on electricity or internet. But since the end of the regular landline is approaching I decided to explore other options. I decided to port one of my landlines (I have two) to MagicJack. I am completely impressed. MagicJack has really improved over the years and is superior to other low cost/free VOIP providers such as Google Voice with Obihai or NetTALK. The voice quality is super, it's just like being on a regular landline. I have had no connection issues when placing calls and I have had no dropped calls or weird sounds during calls.

I still cannot believe the price and keep wondering what the catch is. My regular landline is $28/month excluding long distance. MagicJack is $35/year and includes long distance. I feel 100% comfortable with using MagicJack as a replacement for a regular landline. Even the customer service now has a live rep you can talk to. Some of them are not that knowledgeable but I think that's the norm with all companies today. I was even able to send a fax over MagicJack lines. I only experienced two issues with MJ. First, I plugged the MagicJack into my home phone wiring so that I would have a dial tone at all of my jacks. There are 5 phones in my house including two old ones with a real bell inside. MJ does not generate enough voltage to ring all of the phone.

As a solution, I disconnected the two old phones. MJ does ring the other three phones and I am using cordless phones in the remaining two rooms. I was told that I can connect a voltage booster that costs around $100 and that should fix the problem. The other very rare problem that I experienced was that on occasion, when calling my MJ number, I have gotten a fast busy signal indicating the circuits were busy. But I don't know if that's on the MJ side or from the company that I am calling from. I definitely recommend MJ.

Original review: July 5, 2017

After being billed for a product that I was mislead to order while overseas, I simply attempted to speak with someone to return the device. Upon speaking with several different agents whom had no clue what to do, except to keep repeating the same claim that I "purchased the item back in January 2017". Despite me detailing how I never intended to buy a MagicJackGo, and only needed to extended my MagicApp service, I was forwarded several time to the "Account Review Department". Nearly each representative attempted to speak over me with a contrived script each time I pointed out logical flaws in their arguments, which was extremely unprofessional, rude, and displayed a total lack of customer service and care. Despite this, I decided to wait for a connection with the "Account Review Department", however, it seems that these people at MagicJack continue to have me waiting over 30-60 minutes to speak with anyone.

It also seems that this is a ploy by MagicJack to deter customers from filing complaints for anything from ordering issues (like mine), to double-billing, to service issues. I would like to know if anyone else could assist with phone numbers to upper management. Specifically, not the direct 1 (844) 866-2442 or 1 (561) 594-9925 numbers, as these numbers are to offshore call centers which seem to have no idea how to service customer needs and prefer to recite their script over your concern and transfer you to lines which keep you on hold. I will continue to press this issue as it, again, seems from the hundreds of complaints that MagicJack fall directly in line with mine. Resolution to my issue, and others like mine, must be found... as I and others will NOT STOP until we get it.

Original review: July 3, 2017

Deeply dissatisfied with the service at MagicJack. Calls through this service were always garbled and full of static and phone messages were inaudible. We retained the service just to hold our phone number, but didn't use the service. When we decided to try Xfinity/Comcast as a home phone provider, Majic Jack refused to release our phone number.

Our credit card had been changed so automatic renewal had failed months ago. Rather than notify us, MagicJack deactivated our account. That was no loss to us until Comcast requested the transfer of our number. MagicJack refused to release our phone number until we reactivated the account -- at the cost of a year-long subscription. When I expressed my dissatisfaction with their refusal to negotiate a lower cost for the transfer, and my intent to submit a negative review of their service, the MagicJack supervisor advised me that my statement sounded like a threat and the call was recorded. I'm not sure what kind of threat he was making to me, but I stated I was grateful for the recording so his superiors could hear and make note of the interaction. My opinion of MagicJack: low quality phone service and worse customer service.

Original review: June 30, 2017

I ported my number and suddenly my MagicJack device stop working... After several calls to MJ support they determined the device was broken... Very odd that the device broke at the exact same time that it was ported. So they same me a new one for a $27 fee to fix the problem. They could not make the NEW device work. So they went on and on and finally they determine that something was going on besides the device (I said, "I told you so!"). The port assignment needed to be corrected. The technician told me to return the device for a full refund since the replace was not really needed. I called customer service and they refuse to take it back, then made me wait for over an hour and they told me, "Ok, wait for a call," never happened. Email, never happened so I am basically stuck with their mistaken hardware! What a rip off these guys are! BAD BUSINESS PRACTICE MAGICJACK!

Original review: June 27, 2017

With MAGICJACK every time I complain about a bad signal, crackling sounds, low volume, broken signal they give the same response they always give standard excuses but then they say "YOUR UNIT IS DEFECTIVE" and then they try to sell you a replacement unit for another $35 fee. Which amounts to $35 cost per call. It is planned built-in obsolesce to sell more units because all the units are claimed to be defective once I pay up for 5 years. I paid only one month prior and they refused to replace it. I had just paid an extra fee to get a Canadian phone number and then they claimed the unit is defective. I wonder is the whole business a scam?

I have paid for several new units which drives the most to higher than paying for a local phone. MY ADVICE IS DO NOT BUY MAGICJACK. It will cost you for replacements galore so move on to a competitor. Anyway you can make free phone calls through SKYPE, WHATSAPP, TIMELINE, AND QUITE A FEW OTHER FREE PROGRAMS. You surely do not need to pay for a unit to get what is AVAILABLE FOR FREE.

Original review: June 26, 2017

I have had this product for just over a year. I bought a five year product. So of course it stops working. No lights on the machine at all. The company is happy to help me but I have to buy a new apparatus. Plus pay S&H and a administrative charge. I am very unhappy with this. It seems to me that I am paying for a functional mechanism for the next 5 years. It fails right after the warranty and now I am stuck for the cost again. I cannot be rebated the next 4 years. If comparison, when I bought and Amazon stick for the TV, it was not working. They sent me another one within a few days and charged me nothing. If you don't provide customer service, you make customers very unhappy.

Original review: June 26, 2017

I was just informed by a magicJack representative that after 6 months any unused portion of my international minutes purchased will automatically expire. I think that is a policy that needs to be voided because the company is essentially stealing the consumer's money. This policy has to be reviewed and changed!! Whoever thought this was a good idea?? That's definitely ripping off the consumer!! I've also noticed that magicJack does not always send a confirmation email when the minutes are purchased via the app. I like the basic idea of VOIP but I don't like to be ripped off. This is a set up to nullify any refund if there is no record of a transaction with an authorization number on file. Come on magicJack. Please do better than this. The calls keep dropping during conversations so this needs to addressed as well.

Original review: May 30, 2017

I have been struggling to find a way to report an issue with MagicApp. It is a paid service wherein you can use your Android/iOs devices to use as phone. I have been using for almost an year and was working fine. Suddenly it stopped working. Different forum suggest to connect via Live Chat but seems that MagicJack has no focus on MagicApp. There is no email, Live chat OR phone number to report your issue. I am still trying to recover with the fact that there is no support option available. I wonder, how the company is surviving with this kind of support quality in today's world. Anyways, my advice to explore yourself if you plan to buy any magicJack product. Thanks.

Original review: May 22, 2017

They gave me 3 numbers going to a cell phone with no voicemail set up. Took me 1 hour to reach someone who understands English properly. The sales department is always available for new business but not if you're an existing customer. I gave them 1 star because that's the service they give existing customers. If you are prepared to get customers it's obvious you have to treat them good once you get them.

Original review: May 19, 2017

I had Magic Jack for years but they double charge my credit card, my credit card disputed the charge and Magic Jack put my account on review. I had to call to find out what happened. They said since my credit card disputed the charge I had to pay $26.99 to get my service back. So if your credit card dispute a double charge they will penalize $26.99 because you got your credit card to dispute the double charge. Shame it ended this way.

Original review: May 13, 2017

Very upset magicJack charged me twice on my credit card. When I did call them office was closed and couldn't use the online chat line. You know I don't appreciate being charged twice and message saying credit card was wrong. I am going to fix this problem ASAP. Hopefully they don't keep my card on file. I'll be WATCHING THEM VERY CAREFULLY NOW.

Original review: May 12, 2017

I had so many problems when I ordered magicJack for Business. First of all, they sent the hardware to the wrong address and it took 3 months for me to be able to use the service but they charged my credit cards for the three months that I didn't use it. I know the price is cheaper than other phone company but the customer service for business was horrific customer care service. I asked and changed my credit card payment and billing address 3 business days before the billing cycle and customer service people said it will update it the next day and I will see these changes on this coming up billing cycle but it didn't happen.

In addition to it, the customer service manager was not very professional at all and she disconnected my phone service right away without any proper notifications while I spoke to her over the phone. My company suffered million dollars contracts because my customers could not reach out to me for a week. I could not port out/transfer current phone number because my phone number was no longer active and I have to get new business phone numbers. The manager is horrible and she thinks that she is the owner of MAGICJACK company. I hope someday, this lady will get canned soon. She is suppose not to be there representing magicJack for Business.

Original review: May 11, 2017

Double billing and difficulty in getting situation resolved. March 2nd I paid online to renew subscription ($35.00), March 3rd I receive confirmation that I have purchased another magicJack ($46.35). May 8th I receive another email from no-reply@magicjack.com, saying: "We have received a returned magicJack that you ordered on 03/02/2017. As noted on your purchase order, magicJack offers a 30-day free trial which expired on 04/02/2017. Unfortunately, we can not credit your account at this late date but we would be happy to send you a NEW replacement magicJack. Please click here for your replacement magicJack. Please note that this offer for a gift replacement magicJack will expire on 05/16/2017." The item was returned via Canada post (**) the day after it was left at my door. Thanks for your help.

Original review: May 6, 2017

MagicJack has charged me for two phones. I only have one, and they refuse to reimburse. I had a magicJack for many years as an emergency phone. The service was poor, the customer service was even worse, but for the money, it was a good emergency back-up and they were at least honest. Recently my household developed a need for a backup phone, and while I had not had a magicJack for 5 years I thought I'd buy and try one again. I tried to connect it myself. Found their website was very far from user friendly. Then I got customer support and the new device was hooked up; it has served its purpose and I decided to renew this year.

When I signed into the account I found that magicJack had charged me for two accounts. 1) the new one and 2) the one I have not had in five years. They refuse to fix the error, claim it is my fault, they are rude and have basically committed petty fraud. I spoke to "Agnes" in the Philippines who said they will not refund and there is nothing I can do. Can you imagine how many millions of dollars this must amount to if they do it to all customers? While it is not a lot of money for one person, it is still stealing and overall scummy business practice! One final note! I have proof of purchase in e-mail. I tried repeatedly to upload them in different formats. This site would not allow any of them.

Original review: April 13, 2017

Bought magicJack GO yesterday from Best Buy here in Canada. Was on sale for $45 (Canadian). I had very serious problems activating it. I was trying to get a local number in Montreal (514). I've been charged $10 (US) for nothing the first time I've tried to activate it. I did called the 1-800 several times, these support people on the 1800 line don't know anything...

My advice: you actually need to use the chat service to get competent people and ask for remote assistance support! Or you'll deal with people who don't know anything about setting up/activating the device. After 3-4 hours of struggle it works but I still don't have a number in Canada. They told me the Canadian server is down, that someone brought back my device to Best Buy and it had been activated before. They're FINALLY taking care of me. First calls they were telling me to bring back my device and to order one with them (at what? $65 US... Sure =)). No thanks... You need to be patient. I had great support after 3-4 hours! He's supposed to call me back to replace my US number with a local number.

Customer service: LEVEL 1 support is BAD. Extremely bad... but if you escalate to LEVEL 2-3 (don't hesitate) using the chat service you might get someone who can help. Remember: ask for remote assistance (that's the secret password). Value: Seems good since Bell Canada is asking like $20-40/month for a landline (depending if it's part of a landline+TV+Internet package or not). Cheaper than Oumla and other VoIP package. Quality of the hardware/VoIP network (calls)/Android App seems REALLY GOOD. I don't see any difference with normal landline. Once it works it seems a good deal. I read many reviews here, seems like people are bringing it back without really investigating. Be patient folks and you'll save money. Big telcos (like Bell) are ripping us off. I don't know in the US but here it's ridiculous.

Original review: April 4, 2017

Their service really sucks. I am having a problem with my caller ID. When I call out it shows my number as unknown. I have been trying since January to get it fixed. I added a second line to my account and when I did that it quit working. They keep saying they gave it to the engineer to fix it. I think they are lying about everything. The only way I got them to call me back was I filed a complaint with the BBB. You need to file complaints with the BBB, the FTC.gov and the FCC.gov. The FTC told me they can't go after these companies unless people complain. Also I discovered that they moved their corporate offices to israel. They hold only a local office in Florida. They will not do anything until the federal government fines them.

Original review: March 25, 2017

When we contacted magicJack to start working with them, they immediately took care of us, followed up, and made the sale. Phones were sent to wrong address. One of the phones needed to have number updated, one month later it has not happened. I called the customer care number and was on hold for 45 minutes and no human being answered phone. I emailed the customer care email and it has been 3 days and no one has answered (even copied the salesperson). Very disappointed, ready to cancel account without even having used it (needed help setting up the three lines, conference call number).

magicJack expert review by Ellen Muraskin

Sold in more than 25,000 retail stores, magicJack is an industry leader in direct-to-consumer VoIP services. It holds a number of foundational patents on which the VoIP industry is built and is part device, part service.

• Deeply discounted pricing: Where other service providers charge a monthly fee, magicJack offers a variety of plans, with prices as low as $120 for five years.

• Easy installation: Taking plug-and-play to a whole new level, all you need to do for installation is plug the magicJack between your router and your phone.

• Service and equipment are included: When you buy magicJack for $49.95, one year of service is included in the price.

• Calling on the go: Send calls to your home straight to your smartphone without using any of your plan minutes. Data speeds affect call quality, so be sure to use 4G or a Wi-Fi network.

• Free magicJack-to-magicJack: While all local and domestic long distance are free, international calling is only discounted unless both caller and receiver have the magicJack. Any calls from one magicJack to another are free.

• Best for: Residential users and salespeople.

Profile picture of Ellen Muraskin
Ellen Muraskin

VoIP Contributing Editor

Ellen Muraskin has been writing about telecom and IT since 1993 when she joined the marketing department of Dialogic. In 1996 she joined the editorial staff of CMP’s Computer Telephony Magazine, rising to Executive Editor before joining Ziff Davis Media to launch the VoIP topic center of their eweek.com site. She served as senior copywriter for IT infrastructure company Raritan and has written and edited for several publications.

magicJack Company Information