Find a VoIP Providers partner

Start receiving calls today

Manage Your Business Phone System with Dash from VirtualPBX

Get started

magicJack Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about magicJack?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about magicJack?

Original review: Nov. 20, 2020

I connected the MagicJack to my router and to a phone jack in my house after completing the set-up on my PC (with unit in a USB port). Could make calls just fine, but unit blocked incoming calls. Talked with technical support and thought I had problem solved with unit in USB. Reconnected to house jack, incoming calls were still/again blocked. Got more help from another tech support via their chat option. By trial & error I stumbled upon cause: too many extensions for the unit to power. I found this by disconnecting all 6 and reconnecting 1 by 1. First 5 were fine; #6 caused blocked call. Did not need to change anything in my modem/router. For anyone in an older home with multiple phone jacks and extensions, I recommend this method to see if you can fix the blocked call problem!

Original review: Oct. 12, 2020

Okay, let's start by understanding that this is $39.00 / year unlimited phone service with a fairly generous feature set, so the four stars should be considered in that context. To make this device work well, you have to tweak your router or switch settings. If you just buy a magicJack and plug it into your router, your voice quality is likely to be scratchy and you're likely to have a lot of disconnects. But if you take some time to properly prioritize the device in the router or managed switch, you'll find that both the voice quality and the reliability improve.

Better routers and managed switched usually have a setting called something like "VoIP mode" or "Auto VoIP" that will automatically do this for you. Typically you just have to tell the router that the device is a VoIP phone, and it will do the rest. What it does, in a nutshell, is prioritize the VoIP device's traffic ahead of all non-VoIP devices on the LAN. Most also have some sort of mechanism to deal with malformed packets in ways that won't break the connection. If your router or switch has no such setting, look for something called "Quality of Service," "QoS," or "Traffic Shaping" in the router or switch, identify the mJ device, and give it the highest priority. It doesn't need a lot of bandwidth -- 256k is much more than enough -- must it needs the highest traffic priority if you expect it to work well.

With VoIP prioritization, I almost never experience dropped calls on any of my magicJacks. I think I've experienced one dropped call in the past year, and that was to a government agency: so it's possible that they just hung up on me. As for the sound quality, though not exactly "crystal clear," with proper prioritization and sufficient bandwidth (again, 256K is more than enough), the sound isn't much worse than that of a standard POTS line. It's even clearer when using the Android app. In fact, the reason I didn't give mJ five stars (again, in the context of its extremely low price) has nothing to do with the device itself. It has to do with the less-than-wonderful customer service. If you get an answer at all once you open a ticket, it will probably be days later unless you splurge on the "concierge" add-on. So if you're considering buying a mJ, understand that the support will range from mediocre to horrid.

But I digress. When evaluating the user experience with the device and service itself, it helps to have realistic expectations. A year of mJ service costs less than a month of a typical prepaid mobile phone plan, and much less than a month of any POTS service I've had in the past 40 or so years. Expecting it to sound just as good as a service that costs 12+ times as much is simply unrealistic.

That being said, I've been using mJ devices since 2007, and the quality of the device and service has improved quite a bit. (The quality of customer service and support, not so much.) I've been using mJ as my primary "landline" number for more than 10 years, and I recently ported over one of my mobile numbers to a second mJ when I found I had bad signal with the mobile carrier after a move. Using mJ, the number works fine at home connected to the router; and with the Android app, I can still use it over WiFi or wherever I have any sort of Internet connection (including mobile data). In summary, before you trash mJ, configure your router properly for VoIP. You'll be stunned how much of a difference it makes. It can make this $39.00 / year service work at least as well and as reliably as the average mobile phone connection costing 12 times or more its price.

Get buying tips about VoIP Internet Phone Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2021

No customer service, called when jack went out, they hung up on me. Still not working, total waste of money. Have been a customer for a long time and they offered no help when service went out. Will NOT BE RENEWING IN THE FUTURE.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2021

Have been a customer for years, in June had problems with magicjack. Called tech support. After 2hr not working, he stated had to buy new unit, maybe updates who knows, ordered new unit, went into my office and to my surprise magicjack working, called magicjack less than 2hr later, magicjack customer service representative said could NOT cancel order, upon receiving unit promptly wrote "return to sender". Checked with cc for credit. No credit. Started dispute, magicjack sent email stating restrictions on my account. Now in order to use magicjack they want $25 reinstatement fee all for disputing charge of $38.48.

As of today 1st call 2min 49sec disconnected, 2nd call 3min 32sec disconnected, 3rd call 10min 26sec representative hung up, 4th call 24min 33sec representative stated received unit back but could not email me info, I had to email them. I've used magicjack for years and still good to June of 2025 but can't use it. This company has turned into a customer rip-off company. It's not the money it's the principle this company has going bad, I can't use my magicjack that I paid for, just hope this will help others and bad customer service of magicjack.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2021

Anyone who still has a house phone is more than likely old. I paid for a magicJack. Never received service and they refuse to refund me. I have made several calls. They hang up on me. They give you the run around. They are even disputed it with my credit card com. Do not bother with them. The customer service is a joke.

Original review: July 27, 2021

I recently purchased MJ Home to 'upgrade' from my MJ Express. MJ Home is described in its advertising that you can use MJ at an electrical outlet and that a computer is not necessary. This in fact is true. However, what it DOES NOT tell you is that you lose the function of the dialpad (with contacts and voicemail notifications) which is a major part of this product. I contacted MJ support to ask why my dialpad is no longer available with MJ Home. They informed me that the MJ device needs to be 'plugged in to the computer' for the dialpad to be visible. But wait! I purchased this product (MJ Home) to be used at an outlet. Now they tell me that the 'only way' to see (and use) the dialpad is if this device is plugged into the computer. I really wish they would tell you this information in it's description. MJ Home is NOT an upgrade... It in fact is a DOWNGRADE because you lose a major function...the dialpad. I will NOT be renewing this product.

Original review: July 6, 2021

Do not expect to receive any technical support. You can speak to someone in sales within minutes, but you will NEVER speak to their technical support. It is ONLY a chat box, and you cannot even send screenshots. After 4 months of issues, this was what I finally found out: "By the way, if you want to speak to a technical support via phone call, please do contact our Concierge Department or Premium Technical Support but you need a Concierge Subscription for you to be able to talk to them." The cost: "Concierge Subscription will cost $14.99 plus applicable taxes and fees for one year." This is information that they should tell you when you sign up.

Original review: July 2, 2021

I was using Magic Jack for many years, but this time I had to drop it. My device stopped working properly, and customer service doesn't help at all. They have a useless chat system that provides a phone number to call, and this phone takes the customer back to chat again. It may be the cheapest VoIP, but it is very risky. They locked the auto-renewal of my credit card, and I was not able to turn it off. Finally, I have to close the account. I won't use this phone service anymore.

Original review: June 2, 2021

I've had several magicJacks over the years, and boy has things changed! My chief complaint is that there no longer any customer service support! I'm talking about LIVE AGENTS THAT YOU SPEAK WITH to help you with Technical difficulties. But instead they opt to CHAT with customers. As a BUSY AMERICAN I will not devote my time to endless questions typing my time away as I'm already frustrated with having a device that won't work! I CAN SHOW YOU BETTER THAN I CAN TELL YOU! THAT'S RIGHT, I TOOK THAT P.O.S. BACK TO THE MERCHANT!

Original review: May 4, 2021

I've been a customer for this One-man Show Business for years, May 2020 I made the mistake to purchase extra magicJack Concierge for $16.34, something I didn't know and will not use, I asked for a refund, they refused, I disputed these extra charges with my C.C bank, and used their service for one year up to May 5, 2021, a month ago they email me to renew and I HAD TO PAY $25+Taxes extra for the "Damages" that I caused them last year for the dispute of $16.34, which I agreed in order to unlock my account for renewing,, NOW, For the last 34 days and 13 Emails and 9 hours on the phone spoke to 11 people. NO ONE could solve the problem to unlock my account even with my authorization to charge my account for this extra $25 Taxes, I think this business is running by one man who doesn't give a ** and all the employees are unqualified to solve any problem.

For 3 weeks I heard the same ** that, "We "ESCALATED" the case to a higher level of review," Nonsense excuses, you try to talk to a Supervisor, or a Manager, They Have NONE,, No one, and the frustration of waiting and ** rain of apologies which get you nowhere is they must.. It is a long nightmare, and I wrote a post on their Facebook page, the answer is the same stupidity for 34 days between Sale Dept,, Technical Support Dept And ** online conversation with Aliens who works for a Ponzi business..I'm Literally Sick and Tired of these idiots..They Must Close Down this Bizarre Business for the sake of dignity and respect for consumers..

Original review: April 21, 2021

I used M J for years, equipment failed, purchased new equipment. Having difficulty retaining my phone number and there is NO SUPPORT from M J. I would not recommend M J due to lack of any real customer support.

Original review: April 2, 2021

Waste, nightmare, frustration, terror. Don't even think about it - run. They are closing the service in 2021. The WORST VOIP provider. If you want to save money you will waste much more, get frustrated, mad, and regret that you got involved with magicJack. RUN.

magicJack author review by Ellen Muraskin

Sold in more than 25,000 retail stores, magicJack is an industry leader in direct-to-consumer VoIP services. It holds a number of foundational patents on which the VoIP industry is built and is part device, part service.

• Deeply discounted pricing: Where other service providers charge a monthly fee, magicJack offers a variety of plans, with prices as low as $120 for five years.

• Easy installation: Taking plug-and-play to a whole new level, all you need to do for installation is plug the magicJack between your router and your phone.

• Service and equipment are included: When you buy magicJack for $49.95, one year of service is included in the price.

• Calling on the go: Send calls to your home straight to your smartphone without using any of your plan minutes. Data speeds affect call quality, so be sure to use 4G or a Wi-Fi network.

• Free magicJack-to-magicJack: While all local and domestic long distance are free, international calling is only discounted unless both caller and receiver have the magicJack. Any calls from one magicJack to another are free.

by Ellen Muraskin VoIP Contributing Editor

Ellen Muraskin has been writing about telecom and IT since 1993 when she joined the marketing department of Dialogic. In 1996 she joined the editorial staff of CMP’s Computer Telephony Magazine, rising to Executive Editor before joining Ziff Davis Media to launch the VoIP topic center of their eweek.com site. She served as senior copywriter for IT infrastructure company Raritan and has written and edited for several publications.

magicJack Company Information