1.77/5
Based on 32 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for a good VoIP provider?

907 magicJack Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

I want everyone to know that if you take advantage of this free trial period and you reside in Canada or U.S. that you will pay for the shipping to you and also if you don't want to keep it you have to pay to ship it back to Texas. In Canada the shipping fees are twice as much as in U.S. They are not very helpful or informative when you have a problem. I ordered a newer device because my original one had so much static on it that I couldn't talk and had to hang up. It sat in Chicago for 30 days and I thought it was lost so bought one here for more money and they wanted me to ship the lost on and pay again. That means I would pay twice and still not have a device to use. Plus shipping fees in Canada are twice the price. How fair is this? Make sure you ask all the questions you can think about and maybe record the phone call or just don't order.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

My MagicJack wasn't working. So I called customer service. They couldn't fix it. They said I needed a new one, if I bought it they'd give me a free year of service. I did that. I received it, plugged it in, it still didn't work. This time customer service fixed it. But they WON'T GIVE ME THE FREE YEAR! They say the MagicJack I have is the old one and that only if I use the new one will they give me the free year. I told them this IS the one I bought. They don't care. And they WON'T budge. I've talked to them 4 times, and they keep promising to email me, call me back, etc. and they never do. Never in my life have I experienced this kind of bureaucracy. PAY THE PHONE COMPANY! So much better than MagicJack.

Get expert buying tips about VoIP Internet Phone Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 29, 2018

I see lots of negative reviews for magicJack - it doesn’t work, can’t use it with my router, they took away my phone number, it doesn’t let you log out, bad customer service, hidden fees. WOW!!! Can’t believe this. I have been using magicJack since early 2011 (late last year switched to the “go” and I have NEVER had the slightest problem with this VOIP service). I would absolutely recommend it to anyone. It just works for me. Folks don’t connect it to your computer. Connect it to your router. Had it connected to a Netgear router now a new TP Link Router. Absolutely no problems. Always a reliable dial tone and clear calling.

Bad customer service? I wouldn’t know. Over 7 years of having it and never once had to deal with customer service. And it sends and receives faxes with no problems. Folks, ANY VoIP is only as good as your internet being up and running and your power not being out. That’s the chance you take with VoIP. I pay $36/ yr for the service. $10 for the vanity number and $3 plus for the tax and 911 service. C’mon folks, that’s less than $50 for an entire year of service. I seriously can’t figure out all of these complaints when I have had absolutely no problems with the cost plus the actual service. As far as I’m concerned, magicJack is fantastic.

Original review: July 17, 2018

I am an IT professional and know how to configure gateways, firewalls, etc. I had to PAY for support and they cannot get the MagicJack to work when connected to my router. I have spent countless hours with them to no avail. I have assigned a static IP with port forwarding with no success. So then they say they'll send me out a replacement. But no wait, it's now OUT OF WARRANTY! I have to pay $9.99 for the replacement. Are you kidding me? I'm calling my credit card company next. Do not do business with these people. They do not have a good product and they do not care.

Original review: July 16, 2018

MJ changed rule last year in 2017 saying that it permits one App per device. In February 2018 I was advised by MJ customer service to get a new US number by paying just $10 for my second iPhone. I thought the problem was resolved as it worked for 3 months. Then couple of week back I realized they de-activated my new telephone number! The first 2 calls to customer service promised me to reactivate the telephone number. Saying it will take 24 hours to do.

Today after the 4th day of making first call, I spoke to Ms. ** their "Customer Service Manager" in their Palm Beach, FL location, and she said they will not reactivate number because I was not supposed to have received a telephone number for my iPhone in the first place! So I requested that they refund my $10. She said no because it was over their 30 day limit for refunds. I said it was working fine for over 3 months and it was MJ who advised me to get this telephone number for my iPhone App! She said that is policy and that I will not get a refund nor my telephone number back. The $10 is not that much to lose but losing the telephone number is devastating! What petty things Sales Team in magicJack do to get additional $10 in sales! It's pathetic! It's a fraud!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about magicJack?

Original review: June 23, 2018

MagicJack has worked for me for approx. eight years, but in 2018 it suddenly stopped working. I ordered a new jack, then a new magicJack, would not work, looked up problem solving on Youtube and anywhere else I could think of. Got in touch with magicJack. I think they tried to help, but the techs you talk to talk too technical. They don't realize most of us don't understand how to run a speed test and open in another window and other stuff. I had no idea what he was talking about. So I gave up, dropped magicJack, even though I had a year left. Got a regular cell phone. If magicJack wants to keep their customers. They have to use layman's terms to help you and why did magicJack stop working anyway? When I looked up problems with magicJack there was a lot of complaints about it. Thanks for letting me complain.

Original review: June 21, 2018

Does anyone know if there is a problem with magicJack the company and services? For the last 4 years my magicJack provided outstanding service. Something has gone wrong in the last few months. Caller ID doesn't work and the phone is not as clear as it was. It is continually cutting off and I have to reset it. I have used MJ for 6 or 7 years and the first year or so, it seemed they were getting the bugs out and did so. It would be good if they would send out an e-mail to all customers or post to their website if there is a central problem that everyone is experiencing. I was so excited to pay only $40 per year for home telephone service. Just want to know if anyone else is experiencing these problems now with this great product?

Original review: June 15, 2018

Both a relative and me purchased MagicJack without reading the reviews unfortunately thinking it was a good deal. It turned out to be nothing but frustration for us both. The service is very spotty, their software is dysfunctional and antiquated (they do not even provide an "exit" or "quit" option), so you'll be continually annoyed by it taking over your device.

Even worse however is their non-existent customer service, as countless others have complained about throughout the Internet. They will also charge you for "free" services, like an additional number, but then take away your numbers without even notifying customers. This happened to both of us, and recently they refuse to add the numbers, or any number, back on, even though we paid for it. This appears to be a foreign company operating a sales office in West Palm Beach. If you have a complaint, file one with the Florida Attorney General, it will fall on deaf ears if you complain to MagicJack, which can only be done by an email address that ignores you. Stay clear of this rip-off.

Original review: June 10, 2018

I've had MagicJack for many years but now they have Call Blocking. I used it and now it blocks every incoming call even the ones on my contact list. So I get NO incoming calls at all. Been in contact with them and they keep saying, they are working on fixing it. It's been 5 weeks now.

Original review: May 28, 2018

I've been using it for many years now and a few years ago I upgraded and got the kind that is connected to the modem and always works and the computer does not have to be on. Where else are you going to get unlimited phone use, an app you can make calls from for about $40 a year with voicemail, etc. I think most people leave negative reviews so I tried to think of something I am very happy with and my first thought was MagicJack.

Original review: May 23, 2018

I have had a miserable experience with this company, I canceled my service within 24 hours of receiving the device. Was told it takes 2 days to release my number and a month later, they still haven't released it. Don't try to get customer support, they put you on hold forever. I would not recommend this company.

Original review: April 28, 2018

Are you aware that your company has scammers using your service just to annoy people and I'm not the only one! I usually get 10 to 12 hang-up calls and some within 5 minutes of each other. Additionally, if I make or receive a phone call, they make a call to me and hang up or say "goodbye" which is enough to hit the answering machine. They also target my cell phone. I'm in the process of reporting them to the FTC and when that happens, and their doings are found to be a form of stalking, and this might affect your business. I often get the IRS message that I'm going to jail and then the windows message telling me that my windows program is corrupt. This has been going on for over a year when my bank got $530 returned from Geeks Planet, Inc. and there's also Votso in Florida with Marv **. Do what you want... just giving you a forewarning.

Original review: April 20, 2018

Worst Customer Service Award goes to...Magic Jack of course. March 2017 I was "up for renewal". My bank account information had changed and I was having trouble updating it online so I called customer service. They FORCED me to buy a "new upgraded box" which was ACTUALLY an entirely new system (like a second line) and then charged me a year of renewal on top of it. ($80.85) The rep TOLD me I would get a "year free" with this, so 2 years. I confirmed this multiple times.

Fast forward to now. I'm surprised with a "Your subscription is expired" notice. "How?" I think "I should have another year." So I call again. The rep, Ren, confirms that the other guy basically lied and says he's happy to process my payment. I'm out the extra money and he has no solution. "You can keep that equipment and use it if the other breaks". I've been a customer for over 5 years...I'm appalled that you have no customer service solutions. You should have apologized and credited me a year of service.

Original review: April 6, 2018

I had Vonage and Ooma before which were both good companies and had good customer service and I decided to switch carriers because I wanted to save money, so I chose magicJack and I absolutely LOVE magicJack. The sound quality is excellent, and it has so many extra features that would cost you around $20 a month with Vonage that only cost $40 a year with magicJack! I have conference calling, blocking, and call waiting. It was so easy to hook everything up and it only took a few minutes. I will keep magicJack forever! I am saving SO much money now.

Original review: April 3, 2018

March 29 I called the customer service to get my pin number to give to the carrier to port my telephone number. The customer service rep told me I had to change my password. I asked why did I need to change my password when all I need was the password. I knew it was one of two I use. He told me not to ask any questions. I asked him again why I needed to change the password. He then said again don't ask questions just change it to 6 numbers of my choosing. So I did and he said that was now my password. I knew it wasn't but I thought well maybe... Then I call the carrier with the password. I can call out but can't get any numbers in. So I call on Sunday April 1 to find out the status of the port and was told magicJack will release it Tuesday April 3.

Call on April 3rd and was told the password I gave was wrong. So I guessed as to what I had and while I was on hold the carrier contacted magicJack, they agreed it was correct and they will now release it on April 6th. I have never had such poor customer service ever. I can't get cell service where I live, I thought magicJack would work since I have satellite. It doesn't work on Satellite. So I have been without the ability to receive calls for over a week.

Original review: March 29, 2018

I called to renew a magicJack phone number. I ordered a new magicJack device and requested my number that I currently had be reinstated. I asked for email confirmation which I received but NO confirmation on the phone number I call back again and an LIED to once again. I receive the device and I call in because they did not assign the number. After an 1/2 hour they have it resolved. Another lie I go to use the phone and it is telling me I need to renew my device after paying for a year. The lying rep renewed the old number and charged my credit card AFTER STATING that this was not what I wanted to do. I have cancelled my service with these lying SOS. If you want CUSTOMER SERVICE TO LIE TO YOU ABOUT EVERYTHING SIGN UP. You will waste an hour of your time resolving all the lies.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

I have 2 S5s Refurbished bought off eBay for pretty good price... & I use magicJack App stemming from the days of the magicJack USB & Blue Lighted Box. But w/ the App I just use my Account Log In on the Android MJ app. Phone #/Voicemail/Text/Calling anywhere in the USA & other MJ devices. Now on the S5s the call quality is crisp & clear!! I bought for $99 60 months of service & when a call gets by me it goes thru to Gmail. I can listen to the Voicemail on Google Music & see the # & time the call was made!! Now I also use FreedomPop SIM on both the S5s I got the SIMS for .01 Penny each & downgraded to the free account... I get 200 &500 MB on the different phones... But it's AT&T 4G LTE so I use that to power my MJ calls when somewhere I can use WiFi. So far works out pretty good... & of course the MJ is able to be used over WiFi!! Thanks!!

Original review: Feb. 6, 2018

I wanted to change my number to a different number. One that I had when I lived in New York and they said it wouldn't be a problem. Wow. Here we are almost three and a half weeks later and I still haven't been able to port the number. I've tried and tried over and over again and I paid extra money to have that done and I still haven't gotten it done. I will never ever deal with magicJack again. They are horrible. They take your money. I put money on account for international calls and I didn't know is after a certain amount of time if you don't use that money that you put up you lose it and they just take it. I don't see how that's even legal but they do it. I would advise anybody who's thinking of going to magicJack they're horrible. They just do not want to deal with people. They just want your money.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

They hold your number hostage!!! I started the transfer request for my number to T-mobile on 01/19/2018. I contacted them again today, they said they do not know how long it will take. Yesterday, the phone customer service person told me to contact them via online to find out the status. Today, the online person told me to call to get the status.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2017

ZERO customer support! ZERO customer retention, ZERO compensation, ZERO after hours support. INSANE wait times due to the throngs of pissed off customers! If ONE of your active devices expires, you will get a annoying recording on ALL your numbers! You can not stop it, you are held hostage. You will hear that recording EACH TIME YOU PLACE A CALL on any of your numbers! System is totally oversold and sounds HORRIBLE! Forget about sending a FAX. Just won't work. I have tossed 2 of these magicJack devices into the fireplace tonight and will destroy the others tomorrow. This way I can't have a stupid moment and trust them again.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2017

I've been a relatively satisfied customer of Magic Jack for the last 6 years with 4 active devices. This morning I attempted to renew plans for 2 of my devices. The web site identified rates for 1 year ($39), 3 years (89) and 5 years ($99). However, the renewal webpage only offered the 1 and 3 year options. As information on the website indicated renewals could be done via phone - I called the toll free number 1-844-866-2442; the call center agent (Beth) told me the offer expired on October 18 - apologized and stated that the website was not yet updated to remove the offer. I asked to speak with a supervisor (Alexis) and didn't get any further.

The 5-year plan was not available and the only offer to correct the situation was 1 free month for each Magic Jack. I asked for her manager and was told I was speaking to the highest level of customer service available. Not satisfied with this response, I requested an email address where I could lodge my complaint. "customerservicemgr@magicjack.com" and have sent them a note with a print screen of the information (also attached to this review). Very poor customer service - I am now contemplating cancelling all my devices.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2017

I bought a magicJack Go from Best Buy on Nov. 3, 2017 and was able to set it up, paid my US $10 for a Canadian number, somehow, after I got the number, at first it display my Canadian number under account and is valid till Nov, 3, 2018. But then when I tried to call, it said I have to renew my subscription, so I log in again and check, now the phone number part change into "not active"! I was so upset, so I called them, they told me I have to call the billing department the next day between 9 -7 at 1 844-866-2442 Option 2 and I did, but all you got is some nasty woman rep. and said they do not look after that and transferred me back to the same number 1 -844-866-2442 Option 1, I waited for half an hour on my cellphone and then this woman transferred me back to the original billing department.

This time, I got a guy, he is a bit nicer, but he cannot fixed it but he told me he has to refer to the higher management to fix it, and they will email me when it is fixed. I was really frustrated now so I came to this site to complain, but luckily I saw another person's complaints who is also from Canada, and he got the same bad experiences when calling them, but he got some tips there to go onto the LIVE CHAT to for help instead. But this is a bit tricky, if you click on any topic, it will just let you read, you have to choose, none of the above mention, twice, before you come to the part that will then lead to a form to fill in your name, account number and phone number, then click on live chat, then finally you got a real "LIVE CHAT".

These people are much helpful and experience. She talked to her supervisor, and told me they got problems with Canadian phone no. so she give me a US free number instead for the time being and then escalate the issue for me, so I got a US free number. I tried to call my own cellphone, but is always a busy signal, so she asked me to unplug the magicJack from the modem and plug directly to the Mac computer USB port and sent me a link to upgrade the firmware. But after I download it, and click it open, it said the image disc is damaged, please eject it, so I eject the image disc from my Mac. I was so desperate at this time, as after the firmware download, now I got no line display, no dial tone as well on my phone.

I told her to wait till I detached the magicJack from my USB port and plug back to the modem and get back a dial tone at least, and asked her to change my phone number back to a Canadian one, but she said she cannot since she deactivated it. But she assure me that they got the record, and she already escalate it for me, and they will fix it. Surprisingly, after I plug the magicJack Go back to the modem, I got back not just my dial tone, I can also call my cellphone, I tried to use my cellphone to call this US number, it also ring, but then it is long distance on my cellphone carrier. That means I can only call out, and if my friend call, it will be long distance for them until the escalate department fix the problem and give me back my Canadian phone number. She told me it probably takes about 48 hours, and told me not to worry, that I will not have to pay again for the Canadian number and they got record of it, and assure me that they will fix it for me.

Now I feel a bit better, I just hope that they fix it soon and email or call me soon. To be honest, the experience is terrible if you are in Canada, but if they finally fix it, it is worthwhile, as I have been ripped off by Rogers for years paying $45+ for my home phone, then when I said I will cancel it as they increase the price of the bundle every year, they gave me a deal for $28 for the home phone. It is more than $336 a year, and YET I discovered it when there is a power outage, my home phone does not work either, since it is no longer a true landline, Rogers use cable for the landline, so if your TV, Internet is down, your so-called landline is down as well. So, what is the point of paying so much, now magicJack Go cost me with tax $45 from Best Buy and even with the US $10, it is less than $60 for the whole year as the first year comes with 12 subscription, no contract, and you can renew it after a year if you are satisfied for $US 39.

So this is about $5 a month instead of $28, save over $300 a year x whatever how many years to go. So even with all these trouble and frustration, if you are patient and kept on escalate it and chat with the REAL LIVE CHAT, it is worthwhile still for all the trouble somehow, that is if they finally fix up my Canadian number!

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

How a company does not provide tech support is be on me! You would think we are still in the 80's. I believe any business that does not provide support should not be able to do business. Even the poor "Live Help" on their website is a joke! It is not live no one to chat with at all!

Original review: Oct. 20, 2017

I was thrilled to hear about the low-cost phone option. "Too good to be true", well isn't that right? Two days in a row I was on the phone with multiple representatives. On day two, I started off by letting the lady know "I called twice yesterday and spoke to someone and the line was dropped both times, please if that happens can you call me back because I am so tired getting nowhere". She advised me they do not allow callbacks, fine. We sat on the phone for 40 mins going over the same steps, over and over again. Finally she told me that she will transfer me to tech support. I begged her not to drop the call, it went through.

"Hello billing inquiries." Sooo defeated at this point, that man was very rude and unhelpful wouldn't transfer me anywhere else. At that point it was my last resort for the online chat from "tech support". He again walked me through every step. Both computer and router options nothing worked. He then told me someone from "tier 2" would be able to assist me (take over my computer and do it for me). After waiting over 20 minutes for this "tier 2" I sent a series of messages asking about my estimated timeframe... nothing for another 5 mins. He then comes on then tell me no one is available until Monday. And more than likely I have a defective device. I'm sorry for not using proper grammar, spelling, and punctuation but after the day I had I just want to let it be known... MAGICJACK HAS THE WOOORST OPTIONS FOR CUSTOMER ASSISTANCE. Their tech support is a joke, don't waste your money!!!

Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

Okay so I went with MJ because I thought it was a great deal. I had been with Ooma and thought it would be the same quality and service. The call quality was inferior and the service was garbage. I went back to Ooma (far better product, quality and service). I asked to get my number ported back to Ooma and they kept refusing it. I'm 3 months into it and they have refused to port back to Ooma no less than 6 times. I am losing my mind. My number is important to me. I had ordered a second MJ device right after the first but never accepted it from the postman. i.e. returned to sender. I have asked for a refund for the last 3 months and they have yet to even call me back.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

I purchased 6 years of service with Magic Jack. When the equipment arrived I installed it as directed. The Magic Jack did not work. Technical support is only done by 'chat.' 'Chat' was not able to help so they gave me a phone number to call. Technical support was not able to help. Magic Jack was supposed to send out a return label and then send a new Magic Jack. They sent neither. Because I called 7 days beyond the 30 days they will not refund the cost of the Magic Jack. Only the cost of the 5 years. Magic Jack has agreed to refund the amount of $107.53 but not the $43.12. Very unsatisfied with Magic Jack.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

We have been a magicJack customer for about three years now. First time I needed to try to get support. They have a 24-hour tech support response guarantee... Took them five days to get back to me. Wound up messing up my account, and I can't fix it without reaching out to their tech support. Now I am trying to reach them via online chat, but have been waiting for over 20 minutes already. Product is ok if you don't have a problem. If you do, forget about it. They are completely incompetent at solving it and will take a long time to get back to you.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2017

I have a MagicJackGo Phone and have been using it for several years with complete satisfaction. There is sometimes noise on the line but I accept that as a reasonable expectation for such a low price. I decided to buy another MagicJackGo to tail with me when I travel, use it in conjunction with my laptop computer for free phone calls. I accepted an offer from magic jack for a second unit and tried to register it, it would not give me a number, it kept reverting back to my other GO phone.

Three long waits to speak to extremely rude agents did not solve the problem. They kept asking me for the phone number of my unit and I kept telling them it would not give me a number. We did this for what seemed like hours, over and over again, getting nowhere. I finally had my fill and junked the magic jack go. I still get email reminders that I have to register the device and they will not listen to what I have to say. I can't give them a number because they first have to give me one.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2017

Have magicJack for years, renewed or 5 years mainly for good prepaid international rates. Last Friday I refilled account with $40 what MAGICALLY was almost $50.00 charged to my bank account. After making approx. 15 min. calls to Germany my balance went down to $24.00. Many phone calls to absolutely useless Customer "Don'tCare" reps resulted in information that rates published on my account site (2 - 3 cents per minute) are NOT UPDATED and magicJack has NO CONTROL over charges imposed by other countries carriers. Charge was OVER $1 /per minute. On Saturday Sept 9th, 2017 I called UK and again MagicScamJack charges me more than $1 per minute instead of published 2 - 3 cents per minute. TOTAL SCAM!!! It sounds like case ready for Class A lawsuit for breach in contract and illegal overcharging of customers. Beware of MagicScamJack!

Original review: Sept. 5, 2017

I thought I would save money and try Magic Jack. I purchased the equipment and the website said I could port my current phone number. Then I had to pay to have my phone number ported. At first I could make outgoing calls but my phone would not ring. After reading multiple reviews I thought the problem maybe with my phone so I purchased a new home phone. When I finally got a new phone and hooked it up, I could no longer make calls.

The only way to contact anyone is through their chat service where I was told my magic jack was deactivated for some unknown reason and I could purchase a new magic jack for $10 but I could no longer port the number I had paid to port that. They never ported! So the number I have had for 30 years could not be ported since it was connected with my now defunct magic jack. But when I reconnected my home phone to my previous service it still worked and therefore my number was never ported. I have spent over $100 trying to save money on this fraudulent company. DON'T FALL FOR THIS BS AND DON'T GET MAGIC JACK. Trust me, any money you think you may save will only cost you!

Not sure about magicJack?
    Take our two minute quiz to find the right VoIP Internet Phone Service Providers for you.

magicJack expert review by Ellen Muraskin

Sold in more than 25,000 retail stores, magicJack is an industry leader in direct-to-consumer VoIP services. It holds a number of foundational patents on which the VoIP industry is built and is part device, part service.

• Deeply discounted pricing: Where other service providers charge a monthly fee, magicJack offers a variety of plans, with prices as low as $120 for five years.

• Easy installation: Taking plug-and-play to a whole new level, all you need to do for installation is plug the magicJack between your router and your phone.

• Service and equipment are included: When you buy magicJack for $49.95, one year of service is included in the price.

• Calling on the go: Send calls to your home straight to your smartphone without using any of your plan minutes. Data speeds affect call quality, so be sure to use 4G or a Wi-Fi network.

• Free magicJack-to-magicJack: While all local and domestic long distance are free, international calling is only discounted unless both caller and receiver have the magicJack. Any calls from one magicJack to another are free.

• Best for: Residential users and salespeople.

Profile picture of Ellen Muraskin
    Ellen Muraskin

VoIP Contributing Editor

Ellen Muraskin has been writing about telecom and IT since 1993 when she joined the marketing department of Dialogic. In 1996 she joined the editorial staff of CMP’s Computer Telephony Magazine, rising to Executive Editor before joining Ziff Davis Media to launch the VoIP topic center of their eweek.com site. She served as senior copywriter for IT infrastructure company Raritan and has written and edited for several publications.

magicJack Company Information

2007
    www.magicjack.com

Want to know more?
    You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business