3.7/5 (442 ratings)

About magicJack

magicJack Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about magicJack?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about magicJack?

Original review: Jan. 2, 2022

They cut off my service 6 months earlier instead of 1 year!! I have been with them for 5 years and every year they want their money 30 days before it's due with their annoying recording renewing membership messages so I have to pay 1 more month each year!!! And each time I have to call them to stop their message!! Now after 6 months they decide to cut my phone line when my membership is still good!!! They want their money 6 months in advance now??!! No way to reach anyone. There is no service!! No one to help and bugs on the website too!! So billing errors and also website bugs!!! So angry I have no phone to open the door downstairs because I need a fix line to open the building door!!! Cheap price and garbage cheap service!!!

Original review: Nov. 15, 2021

I paid for MagicJack service. There’s no support. Paid approx $49. Received nothing back. Do not support these scammers. 100% fraud. This service was good 5 years ago but now it has gone down the drain. It is not the magicJack that was good before. I will have bank reverse this transaction immediately. I’m so disappointed.

Get buying tips about VoIP Internet Phone Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2021

Paid for phone device and the port charge. Could not get the device to work. Chatted with their support team since they offer no phone support. They could not get the device to work. Returned their device for a refund. Would not refund port charges and when I tried to port my number to NetTalk, they said I would need to reactivate the device I had already returned and pay for service again.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2021

Magic Jack cheating, stealing your $! Bad poor connection quality if you're lucky to get connected, NO CUSTOMER SERVICE BY PHONE. Only when you pay extra! Typing to customer service - they give you the "run around" and they disconnect the chat! NOT RECOMMENDED TO NO ONE! SAVE YOUR MONEY. GET A REPUTABLE COMPANY. NOT CROOKS!

Original review: Sept. 15, 2021

No customer service, called when jack went out, they hung up on me. Still not working, total waste of money. Have been a customer for a long time and they offered no help when service went out. Will NOT BE RENEWING IN THE FUTURE.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2021

Have been a customer for years, in June had problems with magicjack. Called tech support. After 2hr not working, he stated had to buy new unit, maybe updates who knows, ordered new unit, went into my office and to my surprise magicjack working, called magicjack less than 2hr later, magicjack customer service representative said could NOT cancel order, upon receiving unit promptly wrote "return to sender". Checked with cc for credit. No credit. Started dispute, magicjack sent email stating restrictions on my account. Now in order to use magicjack they want $25 reinstatement fee all for disputing charge of $38.48.

As of today 1st call 2min 49sec disconnected, 2nd call 3min 32sec disconnected, 3rd call 10min 26sec representative hung up, 4th call 24min 33sec representative stated received unit back but could not email me info, I had to email them. I've used magicjack for years and still good to June of 2025 but can't use it. This company has turned into a customer rip-off company. It's not the money it's the principle this company has going bad, I can't use my magicjack that I paid for, just hope this will help others and bad customer service of magicjack.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2021

Anyone who still has a house phone is more than likely old. I paid for a magicJack. Never received service and they refuse to refund me. I have made several calls. They hang up on me. They give you the run around. They are even disputed it with my credit card com. Do not bother with them. The customer service is a joke.

Original review: July 27, 2021

I recently purchased MJ Home to 'upgrade' from my MJ Express. MJ Home is described in its advertising that you can use MJ at an electrical outlet and that a computer is not necessary. This in fact is true. However, what it DOES NOT tell you is that you lose the function of the dialpad (with contacts and voicemail notifications) which is a major part of this product. I contacted MJ support to ask why my dialpad is no longer available with MJ Home. They informed me that the MJ device needs to be 'plugged in to the computer' for the dialpad to be visible. But wait! I purchased this product (MJ Home) to be used at an outlet. Now they tell me that the 'only way' to see (and use) the dialpad is if this device is plugged into the computer. I really wish they would tell you this information in it's description. MJ Home is NOT an upgrade... It in fact is a DOWNGRADE because you lose a major function...the dialpad. I will NOT be renewing this product.

Original review: July 6, 2021

Do not expect to receive any technical support. You can speak to someone in sales within minutes, but you will NEVER speak to their technical support. It is ONLY a chat box, and you cannot even send screenshots. After 4 months of issues, this was what I finally found out: "By the way, if you want to speak to a technical support via phone call, please do contact our Concierge Department or Premium Technical Support but you need a Concierge Subscription for you to be able to talk to them." The cost: "Concierge Subscription will cost $14.99 plus applicable taxes and fees for one year." This is information that they should tell you when you sign up.

Original review: July 2, 2021

I was using Magic Jack for many years, but this time I had to drop it. My device stopped working properly, and customer service doesn't help at all. They have a useless chat system that provides a phone number to call, and this phone takes the customer back to chat again. It may be the cheapest VoIP, but it is very risky. They locked the auto-renewal of my credit card, and I was not able to turn it off. Finally, I have to close the account. I won't use this phone service anymore.

magicJack author review by Ellen Muraskin

Sold in more than 25,000 retail stores, magicJack is an industry leader in direct-to-consumer VoIP services. It holds a number of foundational patents on which the VoIP industry is built and is part device, part service.

• Deeply discounted pricing: Where other service providers charge a monthly fee, magicJack offers a variety of plans, with prices as low as $120 for five years.

• Easy installation: Taking plug-and-play to a whole new level, all you need to do for installation is plug the magicJack between your router and your phone.

• Service and equipment are included: When you buy magicJack for $49.95, one year of service is included in the price.

• Calling on the go: Send calls to your home straight to your smartphone without using any of your plan minutes. Data speeds affect call quality, so be sure to use 4G or a Wi-Fi network.

• Free magicJack-to-magicJack: While all local and domestic long distance are free, international calling is only discounted unless both caller and receiver have the magicJack. Any calls from one magicJack to another are free.

by Ellen Muraskin VoIP Advisor

Ellen Muraskin has been writing about telecom and IT since 1993 when she joined the marketing department of Dialogic. In 1996 she joined the editorial staff of CMP’s Computer Telephony Magazine, rising to Executive Editor before joining Ziff Davis Media to launch the VoIP topic center of their eweek.com site. She served as senior copywriter for IT infrastructure company Raritan and has written and edited for several publications.

magicJack Company Information