Take a quiz, get matched with an Accredited Partner!

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.18/5

magicJack Reviews

Original review: March 6, 2020

Requesting my call logs for 1 month already. They sent response that I would be getting them within 2 days. I have sent them multiple daily emails for 1 month and they ignore my emails. These call logs are extremely important to me as proof for legal matter. Worse company I have ever dealt with. Plus the people who answer the phones (after 1 hour waiting time) don't even speak English correctly- they don't even understand what you're asking. Nightmare!!! I'm never using their service again.

Original review: Feb. 29, 2020

Moved into a new house and my current phone provider does not service that area. Wanted to keep same phone number we have had for last 15 years, so applied to port to magicJack. Was talked into “up-grading” to 3-year plan. Waiting 4 months now and no number port, service does not work, and time keeps ticking away on my subscription. Recently received and email stating that they cannot port my old number. Have tried numerous times to discuss with customer service to get a new number. Have called 4 times over the past week, waited on hold for 30-45 min and no one ever answers, get a click and am disconnected. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY with this terrible company.

Get expert buying tips about VoIP Internet Phone Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2020

I have had mj for many years and until recently I had been pretty happy with how it worked. In the last few weeks I have not gotten calls or been able to make calls using the mj app on my iphone. I updated my app and now the app has less features and does not call international if your using iphone, it want to offer text messaging and will not complete calls. The contact list is different now from the iphone contact list. The service goes to voice mail. After using the online chat to try to resolve the issue I realize it has only been a waste of time, and cost me more money. I do not recommend this service.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2020

I have been a customer for MJ for more than 15 years. The service used to be good and customer care was excellent. Recently I have the worst ever experience with the technical support, customer care, and billing: it looks like the whole organization has become a mess! I have spoken with these departments more than once no solution. I have written them an e-mail and they replied and I provided the full details of my order number and purchase dates and renewal date but still, my connection is not restored. Better to try some other service. I do not recommend them at all I have wasted my three-year renewal and no service after a few days of renewal.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2020

My uncle has landline magicJack. He can call my mom on her landline phone. But when he called my cell phone, all he heard was "beep, beep, beep", then it disconnected. I call customer service, just want to ask a simple question: "Why couldn't magicjack make a call to cell phone?" The guy answers me with very loud and noisy on the background just as they are having the party. That's why he couldn't hear me and keep asking me to repeat my question. It's so hard to talk and listen to him. After repeat to him many time, he then asks me the name of the magicjack account, which I don't know because my uncle is old and don't know much about VOI phone. I don't know who ordered magicjack for him. Then he refuses to help me. Why can't he answer just a simple question which doesn't have anything to do with the name on the account?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about magicJack?

Original review: Dec. 16, 2019

Ordered device by MJ (magicjack) adm. sales. MJ created a tracking NO. and never put the device in the mail. Called 12 days later 4 times, each time 20 or more min. Finally I got billing, called twice to billing. They finally realized the error. The device needed a smart phone and computer to operate, so I was told from chat room, I do not have a smart phone and unable to connect device. MJ told me in returning device I needed to print out a MJ return sheet, went to library because I do not have a printer. Total of costs $7.95 for shipping, $3.87 for adm fees, $4.95 to return not refundable - I have not been reimbursed for the device yet. Only buy the device from Walmart or retailers selling device to prevent major headaches.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2019

Had to cancel my account because they could not change my password. They insisted on a serial number on my magicJack which had no serial on it. It was several years old and has no serial number. So without a serial number they could not change my password and therefore could not access my account.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2019

I've been using the service for over 10 years (as memory serves). The issues I've had (dropped calls, poor call quality principally) improved with each update of the interface that I received. I still have my first unit. I've purchased a total of 3 or 4 of them to date. The latest hardware version seems to work the best of them all. My dropped call count has decreased by at least 50% (maybe higher - as memory serves) and my poor audio quality issues also have dropped. I read some of the complaints here. I am tending to believe that those issues are related to ISP's who also provide phone service and try to downgrade the performance of the magicJack interface specifically because of how it competes price-wise with their own service. This is speculation on my part, but, I believe, a plausible scenario especially in markets with a large user count (large metropolitan areas).

For the record, I live in a rural area and I believe that is why I am not seeing as much interference with service here. The market share here is low - much low income - poor economic conditions. ISP's would harm their income up here if they played the interference game (In my opinion). That's it. For now, I'm sticking to magicjack because anything else is outside my budget (or outside of what I want to pay for a "landline"). Landline pricing is excessive here (and probably anywhere else). Telecommunications providers what folks to go wireless so that they can save the infrastructure maintenance costs. For the record, I used to work in telecommunications in the manufacturing side. Have had a fair amount of exposure to the vendors who bought our products from an engineering support mode.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2019

I have been a Loyal customer of this company for 7 years. I renewed the service many times even though the sound quality of the calls was TERRIBLE. I just auto -renewed the app for 10$ / year as a a Stand Alone App. All of the sudden the service just ended and it couldnt be renewed. I called and asked to renew it and 4 different people answered on Customer Service and Billing. It was the WORST EXPERIENCE EVER. Nobody was helpful. They now FORCE you to buy a device now in order for it to work. So in order to keep my existing phone number I was willing to buy the device (Even though I dont Need it). But they said the device was going to be mailed in 7 days.

I dont live currently in the USA. In order for that device to reach my home It takes 3 more weeks. So I cant use the phone number for 1 month which is of course upsetting. They should have sent a courtesy email informing the customer about this. THEY DIDNT send any warning about it. I asked if I pay the device today can they keep my phone working while the device arrives. They say NO. They did not offer any solutions. I spoke to Billing and Supervisors, Customer Service people, General tone of the employees was Uninterested in keeping the customer.

Terrible Terrible, Frustrating, Upsetting Worst Experience ever in my life on a customer service call. They just did not care in solving the issue, they did not offer a solution, they did not show any interest in keeping the customer. If the Owners of the company really knew how harmful this is to business. The Internet is mostly free and calling solutions are readily available all over. I cant believe this company has the guts to not care for their customers. I hate the way they treated me today. I would not recommend this company or service to anyone!

Original review: Nov. 18, 2019

I was just on chat with MagicJack because they don't have phone support. It was one of the worst/most frustrating Tech support experiences I have ever had. I believe it was deliberate in order for the consumer (me) to pay for their new "Concierge Service" at $14.99 USD. I still do not have phone service and since everything is working just have to believe this is deliberate. The chat support person kept assuring me that she wanted to help and thanked me for my patience but suggested nothing. When she would ask an inane, irrelevant question and I would answer immediately, she took 6 or 7 minutes to reply between answers. When I asked whether she was working with someone else online, she said "No." I had waited almost 15 minutes just to begin our chat. We will not be renewing our MJ service for sure. Actually, there is nothing to renew because the phone service still isn't working.

magicJack expert review by Ellen Muraskin

Sold in more than 25,000 retail stores, magicJack is an industry leader in direct-to-consumer VoIP services. It holds a number of foundational patents on which the VoIP industry is built and is part device, part service.

• Deeply discounted pricing: Where other service providers charge a monthly fee, magicJack offers a variety of plans, with prices as low as $120 for five years.

• Easy installation: Taking plug-and-play to a whole new level, all you need to do for installation is plug the magicJack between your router and your phone.

• Service and equipment are included: When you buy magicJack for $49.95, one year of service is included in the price.

• Calling on the go: Send calls to your home straight to your smartphone without using any of your plan minutes. Data speeds affect call quality, so be sure to use 4G or a Wi-Fi network.

• Free magicJack-to-magicJack: While all local and domestic long distance are free, international calling is only discounted unless both caller and receiver have the magicJack. Any calls from one magicJack to another are free.

• Best for: Residential users and salespeople.

by Ellen Muraskin VoIP Contributing Editor

Ellen Muraskin has been writing about telecom and IT since 1993 when she joined the marketing department of Dialogic. In 1996 she joined the editorial staff of CMP’s Computer Telephony Magazine, rising to Executive Editor before joining Ziff Davis Media to launch the VoIP topic center of their eweek.com site. She served as senior copywriter for IT infrastructure company Raritan and has written and edited for several publications.

magicJack Company Information