Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.37/5

Start receiving calls today

Manage Your Business Phone System with Dash from VirtualPBX

Get started

magicJack Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about magicJack?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about magicJack?

Original review: April 21, 2021

I used M J for years, equipment failed, purchased new equipment. Having difficulty retaining my phone number and there is NO SUPPORT from M J. I would not recommend M J due to lack of any real customer support.

Original review: April 2, 2021

Waste, nightmare, frustration, terror. Don't even think about it - run. They are closing the service in 2021. The WORST VOIP provider. If you want to save money you will waste much more, get frustrated, mad, and regret that you got involved with magicJack. RUN.

Get buying tips about VoIP Internet Phone Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2021

I've been surprise to see charges for magicJack service renewal after 2 years of it inactive status... Phone number was not assigned for the my account for a while, account looks totally dead and, out of the blue, charge for the RENEWAL??? I called MagicJack, spent 30min on a phone with a rep with no results of refund those charge back to me... He refused to connect me to anyone who's able to solve a problem. I got "escalation" ID with no promises that money will be refunded or even that dead service will be cancelled... Not sure how this company is still in business...

Original review: Jan. 29, 2021

They should have 0 stars, they are a thief and scammers, don't even think of buying anything from them, they charged me for the same phone number, the same address twice 95$. After waiting for customer service for 45 minutes, they said, "Ohh we don't give any money back," regardless if they steal it or not, and guess what if you have any problem with the phone, you and you're own, no technical support to answer your question or figures out what's happening with you phone. I had to go through my bank to dispute the charge. And threw away their devices, cause I would never want to use a scammer or deal with thieves, please take my advice and stay away from them.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2021

I used magicJack for many years but eventually no longer needed the service. I worked with MagicJack's process to cancel my account (prepaid for three years and no refund). Shortly after I performed this task I started to receive 3-4 second voicemails from MagicJack in my email inbox. My account online (though canceled) still existed and I was required to use it to work with Customer Support. They need my exact name and not the common short version of it which was irritating. I had to wait several times for them to chat with me, but when I had a brief delay in responding to them, they canceled the chat session - rude. My account indicates my voicemail is turned OFF, but I continue to get voicemails sent to me by a disabled account, with settings in the OFF position. There are no options for me to remove my contact information (such as my email address).

Original review: Jan. 26, 2021

Went online. Googled magicJack Canada.. Paid 10$ extra for Canadian phone no. Think all this in Canadian dollars.. Got an alert from credit card company that this is USD transaction. Called Magicjack to cancel the order.. They would not do it. Only thing is after I receive it I have to work hard to submit an RMA to return it. Please be careful. They are very deceptive.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2021

I have used Magicjack off and on for about 10 years with mixed results. Most recently I have had the worst experience. About a year ago I decided to stop using due to very poor reception in my area. When I moved I decided to plug back in the equipment and renew my account and port my phone number. The reception was awful. I am a senior and need for people to hear me on the phone. I discovered that my internet service did not have enough upload to operate the Magicjack service. No worries, their website says there is a 30-day guarantee or my money back. I called customer service and waited on hold for over 20 minutes.

The agent did not speak clear English and sounded Chinese. She said she could not give me a refund or at least that is what I think she said. I called a week later, waited on hold for 15 minutes and spoke to another agent that spoke better English but also sounded Chinese, he told me that the refund applied ONLY to new equipment purchase. Interestingly, if I had taken my two-year-old equipment and thrown it in the trash, ordered new equipment with the one year service I would have been given a refund. Nothing is mentioned about this on their website or as you sign up for service. While I applaud the idea of lower phone services this one doesn't play fair. Beware of the picky rules before you sign up and I believe this is a Chinese owned company.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2020

I ordered MagicJack on Nov 26th 2020. They charged next day money from my credit card. I got a mail that..., item delivered. I contact MagicJack people. (If you need to contact them, cancel all your tasks, need to prepare at least half a day. Getting representative, verification, understanding our problem etc). After talking to representative, he can't solve my problem. He suggested to contact UPS, USPS everyone in the world. (I already contacted them, they were not able to trace the device). I requested him to send another device, as I already waited nearly 3 weeks. If I receive 2 devices, I will return one device. But he said, he can't. Finally I did stop payment. I face so many problems, before getting device itself. Imagine after getting device.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2020

I purchased my magicJack on 11-08-20. I looked at the tracking on 11-14-20 which told me it was delivered. I had my daughter go to her mailbox and check. It wasn't there. So we waited till the 17th to see if it was scanned incorrectly. It never appeared. I called magicjack cs who told me to contact UPS. Ups scanned it to USPS who was supposed to deliver the package. I contacted USPS who told me the packaged was delivered because it was scanned as delivered. When I asked why didn't the package show up on the informed mail, the supervisor at USPS told me they must didn't deliver it. She then put me on hold. Came back to the phone and told me she was going to investigate it.

I waited 10 days for her to call me, she never did. So I called her back. She told me that the carrier was tracked to the location and the package was delivered. I asked again about why it didn't show up on informed mail. She told me it was because the package didn't go through downtown. She then told me she sent the carrier back to check the mailbox. She asked me if my neighbors could have gotten it. She then informed me that there was nothing I could do because the package was not insured.

I called magicjack and told them what she told me. They kept telling me they was sorry this happened and then kept telling me I needed to contact USPS. They then told me that they wasn't responsible for the magicjack after they ship it. So basically they wasn't going to refund me my money or replace the magicjack. I insisted on speaking to a manager. After about 10 minutes someone came on the phone. They told me the same thing. They are sorry this happened, I should have gotten the service agreement informing me they wouldn't be responsible for the product once shipped. I didn't any agreement I ordered it online. Then I was told I could contact them via email to see if they would ship a replacement. If you're going to buy magicjack I wouldn't recommend getting it from them.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2020

I connected the MagicJack to my router and to a phone jack in my house after completing the set-up on my PC (with unit in a USB port). Could make calls just fine, but unit blocked incoming calls. Talked with technical support and thought I had problem solved with unit in USB. Reconnected to house jack, incoming calls were still/again blocked. Got more help from another tech support via their chat option. By trial & error I stumbled upon cause: too many extensions for the unit to power. I found this by disconnecting all 6 and reconnecting 1 by 1. First 5 were fine; #6 caused blocked call. Did not need to change anything in my modem/router. For anyone in an older home with multiple phone jacks and extensions, I recommend this method to see if you can fix the blocked call problem!

magicJack author review by Ellen Muraskin

Sold in more than 25,000 retail stores, magicJack is an industry leader in direct-to-consumer VoIP services. It holds a number of foundational patents on which the VoIP industry is built and is part device, part service.

• Deeply discounted pricing: Where other service providers charge a monthly fee, magicJack offers a variety of plans, with prices as low as $120 for five years.

• Easy installation: Taking plug-and-play to a whole new level, all you need to do for installation is plug the magicJack between your router and your phone.

• Service and equipment are included: When you buy magicJack for $49.95, one year of service is included in the price.

• Calling on the go: Send calls to your home straight to your smartphone without using any of your plan minutes. Data speeds affect call quality, so be sure to use 4G or a Wi-Fi network.

• Free magicJack-to-magicJack: While all local and domestic long distance are free, international calling is only discounted unless both caller and receiver have the magicJack. Any calls from one magicJack to another are free.

by Ellen Muraskin VoIP Contributing Editor

Ellen Muraskin has been writing about telecom and IT since 1993 when she joined the marketing department of Dialogic. In 1996 she joined the editorial staff of CMP’s Computer Telephony Magazine, rising to Executive Editor before joining Ziff Davis Media to launch the VoIP topic center of their eweek.com site. She served as senior copywriter for IT infrastructure company Raritan and has written and edited for several publications.

magicJack Company Information