1.01/5

Looking for a good VoIP provider?

Lingo

Looking for a good VoIP provider?

137 Lingo Consumer Reviews

Original review: Jan. 12, 2016

I have been with Lingo for more than 10 years. In the beginning, they were pretty good and I enjoyed the ability to call the world very cheaply. More and more the line quality decreased, calls were dropped, and functionality floundered.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2015

On lingo website, they clearly stated that they cover international calls to landline/mobile for thailand so I that's what I have Lingo World 2M. First time they cheated me and refund me was the month of July 2015. On July 28, I called and they refunded. I set my account as auto payment and didn't check my account until last week November 10, 2015. I was cheated again! When the rep from lingo call to inform me that the account wasn't pay because my autopay method was decline, I asked him what was the amount and he says 93.03.

I asked him why I was charged that much and he says because they did not cover thailand mobile on all international plans. I was on a road trip so I couldn't check the website so I go ahead and give him the new payment information. When I got home and check to make sure if it's true like he says because before I join Lingo, I did my research. It was the purposes of it. Search shows its covered on all international plans - Thailand mobile/landline.

Original review: July 31, 2015

Cancelled account a few days after last billing cycle, since you have to cancel ON THE PHONE and they are clear on their website that customer care is ONLY open EST business hours (I'm on PST and have a job, you know so I can pay for things like phone service). Was informed not only would they NOT be pro-rating the last charge amount but also be charging me $9.95 to ship their hardware back to them. When I complained that most services pro-rate the amount for services not rendered I was told 'You should have cancelled on or before the next billing cycle'. WOW! 8 year loyal customer and I'm told 'sucks to be you' essentially. I saw the bad reviews of Lingo some time ago and I should have realized that they were shady when they never credited my account for the 'refer a friend' deal they had. They just feigned ignorance that I ever referred a friend (this friend signed up in front of me so I know they indicated I referred them).

I haven't used their service for months. So they haven't had to do ANYTHING and I've paid them for 9 months when the box wasn't even connected. They've gotten enough of my money. After asking for a supervisor I was told 'I'll get a supervisor IF there is one available'. Excuse me? IF one is available, what is going on that your supervisors wouldn't be available? Hold music. Lots of button pressing, as if they don't know how to use a phone. Finally customer 'care' comes back on and tells me a supervisor is not available but he will request I not pay for the shipping label. I point out that 'request' doesn't mean it will be honored. He said it WILL be approved. Sounds like someone talked to a supervisor! But of course they aren't available. They are probably sick of dealing with irate customers.

I'm so angry that I've paid them money for over 8 years (I had a second line that I cancelled some years ago) and they are still trying to suck more money out of me. Shame on you Lingo! I've been a dream customer. I rarely use your service, I STUCK with your service despite a period of 2 months where I was screwed around repeatedly when trying to add a new account and they even spelt my name wrong and couldn't change it and I continue to pay month to month. Why did I cancel? Lousy call quality. Calls would consistently drop around the 1 hr mark. Catching up with family? Screw you, you can only talk for an hour. Call them back. Switched to Vonage SO MUCH HAPPIER and Vonage has an iPhone app so you can use their service over wifi. SO SO SO SO much better.

Original review: July 10, 2015

I change to Lingo in April and we are already in July and I still don't have phone service and Lingo is being charging my account for 2 months already and my home phone is still not working.

Original review: June 25, 2015

I was with Lingo for 1 year with NO problems, up until last month. I had set up auto pay with my checking account, and faithfully they took out $14.99 every month. Last month all of the sudden, my checking account supposedly declined (which never happened, because my bank would have sent me notice that and ACH tried to come through). They wanted me to pay another $25.00 dollar "decline fee" to get my service up and running. I DECLINED! What a joke, this is how they make their money! I SWITCHED TO VONAGE, CRYSTAL CLEAR, NOT CRACKED UP AND BROKEN CALLS LIKE LINGO'S CALLS! Never again will I use Lingo, they are a rip off company..... I should have been with Vonage the whole time! STAY AWAY FROM LINGO, THEY SUCK AND THEIR CUSTOMER SERVICE CAN'T SPEAK ENGLISH FOR CRAP!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Lingo?

Original review: May 2, 2015

Not what I had expected after been with Lingo for 5 years... And I transfer my services to another provider and I kept getting charged for 6 month. And when I try to resolve this issue, representative acted like they didn't know what was the issue. Just kept reading the notes from the script they get.. and kept telling me that I need to close my account properly. And now all of sudden my account is closed properly after one call from their representative. Oh really. You guys are blood-sucking leeches. It was a nightmare having services with you specially when you tell me "oh your service is excellent and you will only get charged this amount of money per month" and only find out it kept raising month by month. Thanks a lot. Will never recommend this to anyone

Original review: March 25, 2015

I just completed terminating from Lingo. It was difficult and frustrating. I send three emails to customer service and they responded a week later with a auto generated one stating that I would receive a response the next day; that did not occur. I had to pay $9 or so to return the equipment, after being a customer for over 12+ years .

When I spoke to the customer service agent, he apologized by reading off his script which was even more frustrating. He was very polite and I understand that it was not his fault. Also, I was charged the federal program fees for over $3; this did not make sense as I did not have phone service the past month. I was told that it is automatically generated and nothing could be done. I don't care about the money as much as the principle. I felt that I was being cheated. After all, I had spent over $5000 over the time of doing business with them and then, I was forced into paying another $13 or so because of the terms and conditions.

Original review: March 3, 2015

I never said yes or I never gave any confirmation for their services. And one week later they sent me some equipment. I complained and said that I never agreed to your services so they said to send the equipment back. And I did send it back. I never used their services. I never opened the package. I sent back the same exact way I had received it. They are charging me $148.49 for what? And without giving any warning they reported to the credit bureau.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2015

They charged me $75 for "equipment recovery" on 2 phones that had broken 3 years before. I had been forwarding the lines to my cell for all that time because they would not replace the phones... They wanted to charge me.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2014

If you want to cancel your account after being with them for more than 10 years, they give you a hard time, they don't let you cancel the account and keep charging your card. Although I was told the equipment does not need to be returned if you had the account for more than a year, they keep making you return the equipment and pay a shipping fee of $9.99 for it. Make sure you take a picture of what you are sending them back in front of a witness. There is no physical address should you need to file a formal complaint. I filed a complaint with MASS Attorney general office. A class action lawsuit will perhaps get their attention.

Lingo Company Information