1.01/5

Looking for a good VoIP provider?

Lingo

Looking for a good VoIP provider?

137 Lingo Consumer Reviews

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

We switched from AT&T for the alarm panel at one of the commercial buildings we manage because their rates were increasing, but I wish we hadn't. We have been getting "unidentified" errors on our alarm panel ever since we switched it over. Had alarm panel technicians out who say it is the phone lines, but Birch/Lingo won't check it unless we pay them $175 for "inside" maintenance. This despite us calling to complain. They should have set it up correctly in the first place. Their less expensive service is ending up costing us so much more. They also messed up the billing. Be warned, this lack of service is not worth it.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

I reported no phone service 12/21/18 on 2 phone lines. Lingo had a Verizon repairmen come on 12/27. Verizon reported that the copper lines are bad and that Lingo needs to have the line upgraded to Fiber. Lingo scheduled on 1/11/19 for Lingo to do this. Nobody showed. They then scheduled Verizon for 1/18/19. Verizon had an order for one of 2 lines and repaired that line. The second line is still not fixed or switched to Fiber. Verizon notified Lingo (Birch) in March 2018 that the lines need to be switched to Fiber as they no longer repair copper. The notice was ignored.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

We were happy with Lingo service since 2005. However, the current customer service from their current parent company (Birch Telecom - since March 2016) is of no value. It is easy to reach the company at their sales line (still the old Lingo organization), but a nightmare to reach customer service (Birch Telecom). We spent several hours on hold today before we were able to reach a customer service representative to cancel our account - such bad service. We could not even make phone calls anymore. We received an automated cancelation confirmation e-mail with information about how to e-mail the company. E-mail messages to customercare@lingo.com are rejected -- "You have reached an email address that is not monitored for responses."

Additionally, the cancellation e-mail told us they would send a return label (and charge us $9.95 for the label) to return a Lingo adapter. The problem is that we never received a Lingo adapter; we used our own equipment to connect to the service. They also threatened to charge us $75.00 equipment recovery fee for equipment we never received from Lingo. At one time, Lingo was a reliable US company. Now, Lingo is a scam company that should be avoided. Don't even consider trying any of their services -- find a reliable competitor for VoIP phone service.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

Lingo is one of the worst customer service I have come across. I cancelled my service with them, they mentioned that they will mail me a UPS return label to send back their adapter and will charge me $9.95 for it. I have not received the label back as of today. They keep charging your credit card for service, though I have called their account Dept. 9 times and asked them to refund my charges, each time the rep apologizes and will initiate the refund. Please be warned of it, lately they merged with Birch Telecom which has bad rating too. I highly recommend not subscribe Lingo.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

September 14, 2018 San Antonio, TX. We are reporting on a sad situation as we've witnessed the sinking of a once prosperous company. Here is the story as we have experienced it. In 2005 we signed up for a VOIP Voice Over IP account for my office phone at https://adventdigital.net with Lingo. They were located in the United States and the service and support were very good. We had need to contact support about every couple of years and the service was 4 stars out of 5. Lingo at this time was a valid contender with Vonage. In March of 2016 Birch acquired Primus Telecommunications Canada and Lingo. Since that time Birch Primus Lingo are failing, and they pose zero threat to any valid VOIP provider.

After the Lingo company was acquired by Birch everything changed. Support was moved to Manila Philippines and that is where the demise of this company began. All offices and phone numbers in the United States were gone. Support calls became a circular failure. On occasion, 5 or 6 calls are required to obtain a "partial solution". On ALL support calls they give you the option to rate the call by pressing the 1 key while holding. The staff in Manila completely stop this by never hanging up at the call end. They simply place ALL support calls on hold, so clients are NEVER permitted to submit a report of bad service. This horrible practice is about than 2 years old, and continues today.

The client portal at Lingo VOIP began failing in 2018. Simple tasks such as "View My Invoices" or "Current Calls" or "Billing History" have failed to function throughout 2018. These have been reported to Lingo Tech Support perhaps thousands of times by us and other clients. Now for 9 months this portal failure has gone unchecked. Also, the site is NOT secure, there is no SSL. This is NOT even legal in the United States. Next, in July of 2018 we called for Tech Support, and the person in Manila gave us a telephone sales pitch to change our plan from a $26.95 a month to a $19.95 plan. To our surprise our next bill was $68.04. Obviously this entire switch was fraud. But, this company appears to be in a death-spin of failing.

We have been completely unable to contact anyone at Birch Primus Lingo within the United States. We now have 8 phone numbers, but talking to U.S.-based staff is effectively blocked. Only after many days of trying, we finally have resorted to publishing these findings. We sincerely hope to save you misery from joining in a similarly bad situation along with thousands of other very disappointed clients. We are currently looking into NetTalk at this time

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Lingo?

Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

I port my number over to Lingo, it has been 3 weeks and my phone still not working. I call them more than 6 times and they giving me the same poor excuse all the time. “We will call you tomorrow. We are working on it.” What type of company is this? I am about to go back to Vonage even though they don’t have my international plan. But it is not worth the hassle and the horrible customer service at Lingo.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2016

I was a twelve year customer with Lingo in South America, The US and Australia with no issues. Rates went up significantly the last couple of years so I cancelled my US phone line and kept my Australian phone line. Rates only dropped by about $10/month. In doing so, the Australian phone line stopped working. I spent over a year trying to cancel my service and get Lingo off my credit card. Customer service never answers the phone and you cannot cancel through your secure online account or by letters or emails. This is why it is a scam.

The service has been cancelled for three months now... Finally. They are still charging my credit card for a service that hasn't worked in over a year. They were supposed to send a courier to pick up the equipment from my Australian home. Instead they sent it to the cancelled US address and then charged me for the value of their 12 year old equipment because it is in Australia (exactly where it says it is on my online account). They can't do anything correctly.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2016

LINGO Voip phone company - This is the worst phone company one can ever possibly have. I had very low quality of service (they could barely me hear on the other end), they never fixed the problem, and when I decided to move to another company they refused to transfer my home phone number. They SHOULD NOT BE doing business in the United States!

Original review: Aug. 1, 2016

I was a long customer of Lingo (10+ years) when out of the blue, I saw my bill go from approximately $35.00 to over $100.00. My wife was talking to her mom overseas every day. Lingo, without consulting me declared that use a "business" and started charging us the business rate. Their free unlimited overseas is as long as you don't use it.

My attempts to explain that it was only my wife talking to her mom fell on deaf ears. I was told that in order to get the old rate, we had to significantly reduce the calls and then maintain that for 90 days, which we did. Then came the billing problems. We kept getting emails saying that the information for billing was not correct. I would delete and add the exact same information and the next month, the same problem. This went on for months until I finally dropped them (Lingo.com). The claims that there is unlimited international calling exists as long as you don't try unlimited calling. A regular consumer is not given any opportunity to show that the calls are not business. Seems like an opportunity for Lingo to increase revenue and restrict users from using their "unlimited" calling opportunity.

Original review: April 30, 2016

I canceled the service with Lingo 1 month ago. They asked me to return the router (their equipment) which I did on my expenses. Then they sent me a return label and bill for $9.95. Then when I called them, they apologized for the mistake and assured me that I won't be charged. A week later I was charged $13.32 instead of $9.95. When I called again I got another "sorry sir" and said that the refund will be sent between 3-5 business weeks!!! How is this possible? They had all information on their computer showing zero charges to me. However they charged me and even after they acknowledged the wrong charges their refund will be delayed up to 5 weeks? Why companies are allowed to work like this? Why there are no charges or fees/penalties for their mistakes? BEWARE! LINGO IS TRYING TO RIP YOU OFF IN ANY POSSIBLE WAY!!!

Lingo Company Information