1.01/5

Looking for a good VoIP provider?

Lingo

Looking for a good VoIP provider?

134 Lingo Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 30, 2014

Lingo Inc (owned by Primus Telecommunications Canada Inc) has repeatedly refused and ignored my requests to stop charging my debit card, as I do not even use their service. I let my mom use my card to pay them once, months ago, and they charge me every month despite my consistent requests to stop. Now, I'll have to cancel my card and file a civil claim against them. They also somehow raised their "taxes and fees" from just a couple dollars to almost $30 over this past month. I see online that many people have had this same issue with them, but they continue these illegal practices without any repentance whatsoever (maybe because they're a multinational and think US laws do not apply to them).

Original review: April 3, 2014

I had Lingo service up until over 10 months ago when I disconnected the phone and called to cancel the service. Since it was being paid by my accountant through the business I do not keep close track on those charges. MY BAD. Now they say they have no record of the request, and do not monitor whether there is an actual phone number receiving service or not.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2014

They charge you before you even start the service. They charge you all the time without even using the service!!

Original review: Jan. 6, 2014

Stay away from this company. They will bill you long after you are done with them. They don't do refunds, have rude customer service and have a hard time with the truth. Terrible terrible experience. I feel violated.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2013

They are so bad that I am reporting them to the Better Business Bureau. They turned off my company's phones BY MISTAKE, which they have acknowledged in an email, then guaranteed it would be on by the end of the business day. That was Monday. It is Thursday afternoon. I have called in 10+ times and the phones are STILL NOT ON!! They are costing me hundreds of dollars per day that my phone is off, and not one person in their company cares at all. They are so pathetic that it almost seems like you're being "punked." I cannot emphasize enough how terrible, unaccountable, uncaring, dysfunctional, and incompetent this company is.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Lingo?

Original review: Dec. 2, 2013

I had been on Lingo.com's service since July 2009 due to their included rate for calls to Taiwan where many of our family still reside. On August 2, 2013, we decided to switch company and ported the number to Vonage. The actual switch of number took place on August 14, 2013. I indeed did not call Lingo to cancel the account, thinking most telecom companies (landlines, cellphones) would stop the account after the number switch. I got billed on September 4, October 4, and November 4. I called November 5 to cancel the account and they wouldn't credit back the 9/4, 10/4 charges. I disputed through the credit card company and the 9/4, 10/4 charges were returned.

On November 14, Lingo's rep called with threatening phrases so I gave them another credit card number to bill for the 9/4, 10/4 charges. It was confirmed that the account was cancelled, and I couldn't access the account online anymore. I got a call today (12/2) from Lingo, possibly the same rep, asking to authorize another month's charge. I denied and he was again threatening to send me to collection. A complaint was filed in November to FTC but I haven't (or should I expect) heard from them. Lingo is basically charging services that they do not even own, and this is way they treat their customers of 4 years.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2013

I ordered Lingo and what was supposed to be $22.95 + taxes somehow became a $47.52 bill and what's worse is that when I tried to cancel, they told me I would be charged for an additional month before the cancellation went into effect. I am appalled! I really think consumers need more protections from predators like Lingo!

Original review: Oct. 30, 2013

I had dealt with them 1.5 years, Complaint written to FCC. No customer service solution. Charged me 3 months after cancelling. After 30 hours of calling they suspended my account (So called unlimited). I lost my home phone number because they did not allow my new company to port. They will lower your voice quality as time goes by. I was without my number 3 Months MISSING Call from BANK's CREDIT CARDS and all other places. You want to go with those Indians, GOD bless you.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2013

They will trap you with all fraud offer by phone and later they will change their voice and will say “we did not offer you those services.” Even if you are not satisfied with the service and you want to cancel service they will charge you with those services you didn't use. Totally a fraud company. Beware of them.

Original review: July 18, 2013

Lingo has the worst customer service. Telemarketers deceived us into getting Lingo phone service and they sent us 3 Lingo sets in 2 months. After promising us that we will be charged $5.95 per month, they charged us $70 - $80 even though we didn’t even open the box yet. They sold our contact info to other Telemarketing agency. Never use Lingo phone service, I would never recommend this company to anyone.

Original review: June 20, 2013

I had signed with Lingo as their sales team told me that it's a one-month free trial membership where you have to pay $5.00 for the equipment. After a month, they will call me again for the feedback and then I can decide for the membership. But they just started billing me for next months without my permission. Their sales team will give you any commitment to get the business.

Original review: June 8, 2013

I joined LINGO because of some customer service call for $9.95 for 6 months offer. But when I called up to join LINGO, they didn't even know about the offer. Somehow they tried persuading me to join with some contract, but at last they agreed (after consulting with the manager as they say) to give away the offer. There it started the disaster. I used to keep getting billed for $23.99 with taxes and fees for $12.99 every month. I had to call them up to refund the $14.00 they charged extra. They credit that as a credit memo, which will be applied next month. I had to keep calling them every month and do the same.

After 3 months of constant creeping, they applied the discount to my account and somehow they lost the credit card details from my account. Once the next invoice was generated (even though the due date is June 12, 2013), they suspended my account due to nonpayment. Oh, what more to say? I had a difficult time with customer service guys and decided to get rid of this crap. I am not sure what more disasters are on my way as I have to send the device back within 14 days and pay money for the service I haven't used.

Moral: STAY AWAY FROM THESE LINGO GUYS.

Original review: June 1, 2013

I was sold an equipment by a telemarketer sometime November 2012. It was a device similar to Magic Jack, but is hooked up to a landline phone for international calls. It has to be set up by the other party on the other side of the globe to whom the person here in the US would have an international phone call communication. I received the equipment around January 2013. I never opened the box, never set it up, nor installed it. The equipment is still in a box marked IMPORTANT NOTICE: BY OPENING AND INSTALLING THE ENCLOSED EQUIPMENT, YOU ARE AGREEING TO LINGO'S TERMS AND CONDITIONS WHICH CAN BE FOUND ON WWW.LINGO.COM.

I was never informed in writing that I will be billed monthly on the credit card that was charged for the initial purchase. There was no follow-up about the state of my service, nor did I receive a bill nor receipt for the charges made on my card. They charged me a total of $136.51. Customer service is feisty and adamant. They refused a refund, nor would they give any consideration such as giving services equal to what they have charged me. I never availed of their services. They never sent me receipts for the charges they made on my card to inform me of the supposed service I got from their company. Now, in order to do a full cancellation, they will be charging me again $9.95 in order for me to return the unused equipment.

Shouldn't companies provide good customer service by refunding money for service I have not availed of and, at worse, unsatisfied of? Instead, I get customer service representatives who would fight and argue the point that it was all my fault when they should have the responsibility of informing their supposed customers that they are taking money from them. They are not conducting proper business ethics when they just took out money automatically without any proper receipts and written acknowledgement. Worse, my card was hacked and has received charges from other telecommunication companies. LINGO is a scam and is out to rip-off people!

Original review: April 22, 2013

I had bought Lingo's service for international calls, but because of the poor quality, I decided to return it after just one month of use. Not only was my equipment 2 weeks late, I had to call multiple times just for them to finally accept that I had not used the equipment the entire month and was returning it for poor service. I returned the equipment verifying how much time I had. They told me 14 days but the address label said 30 days. I returned the equipment within the time, but they still charged me $75 because of a "late" return.

However, I checked their website, and the only $75 they can charge is through the Rebate Recovery Fee and this clearly states: "A rebate is discount(s) offered to you at the time of signing for Lingo. They may include activation and shipping fees, equipment, and the first month's subscription charge. If you disconnect your service within 1 year after your money back guarantee period, Lingo will charge a rebate recovery fee equal to the amount of any rebate initially given at the time of signup. The maximum rebate recovery fee charged is $75." They also state under Terms of Money back Guarantee: "All returned equipment must be in the original packaging with the UPC or bar code intact and postmarked within 14 days of cancellation; otherwise, a disconnect fee of $24.95 and a rebate recovery fee of $75.00 will be charged."

However, as with myself and other customers on this page, I can see the discrepancy with how they deliver and receive equipment as well as the fact that their label says something different. Even if a customer returns the equipment on time, they have been charged the rebate recovery fee by the company. I am extremely frustrated and pursuing a lawyer for the matter because it has been more than 6 months since I have cancelled the service and nothing has happened. I also think a class action suit is in order because of the many complaints I have seen.

Also, their phone customer service is extremely rude and unpleasant. Every time I call I have only spoken to representatives from Manila, Philippines, or other countries. They obviously do not know what customer service means.

Original review: April 6, 2013

I started up service with them in 2006. At that time, no contract was required. I believe at the time I had to pay 50 bucks for the box. I'm out of state at the moment but that will be the first thing I check when I get home. Their rates just keep going up by $3-$4 about every four months. They make it difficult to cancel. They put you on hold forever hoping you'll hang up and if you don't, they waste your time trying to give you the service a bit cheaper. I asked if that would put me under contract, and they say yes, 5 bucks off to be married to them. No thanks. They said they'd turn the service off that day but would bill me for the whole of the month as they don't prorate anything. So, I was paying for a service I could no longer use. I filed with the BBB and got 25 bucks debited back to my account on that one.

They said they'd send a return label but didn't mention at my expense. Since it was bad weather, I wasn't able to mail it right away. They wait about 7 days before debiting for that. I was charged $12.80. I filed a BBB complaint on that as that's about twice what it'd be if I mailed it. Their reply is that the terms and conditions state they can do this not to exceed $9.95; yet, it's $12.80. I was told I had 30 days to return the box, period. The reply from the BBB from them stated 14 days. I called the rude customer service who can barely speak English and said I had 14 days to mail it and the 30 days is the amount of time for them to receive it. I wasn't told that even though she swore that she did. I cancelled my debit card after I hung up. I'm glad I did.

It seems like even if you send the box back, they pull $75 from your account. Customer service is rude. Service is degrading. When I couldn't call a number due to their fault at first, it was a free month of service for the inconvenience, then a $15 or $10 credit. Final straw was for the hours I was unable to call that number. Let's see, five hours divided by 30 days of service comes to less than a dollar? If you change your debit or credit card number and they don't get their money, someone calls you with an American accent who can plainly speak English. I will find every review place I can on the net and tell the truth about what this company is: trash. Fortunately, since I canceled my debit card now, they hopefully can't get their hooks on any more of my money.

Original review: April 2, 2013

I cancelled my Lingo account two years ago. I received a label to return the equipment. I returned the equipment. I paid a minimum fee for call forwarding. I cancelled call forwarding in February of 2013. They billed my credit card through March and then attempted to deduct the $75 from my credit card. As I had closed this NJ account, the bank filed a protest. I have now received a bill for $75. I do not have a tracking number for the return as it is over two years since I returned the equipment. I wrote to Lingo and explained the situation and I also called them but to no avail. Their monthly fees for call forwarding also began to creep up from an initial $6 to $15. I know that most clients have my cell phone number and are not calling the Lingo number.

Original review: April 1, 2013

I started with Lingo phone service in 2004. They're just raising their rates on me. Finally I decided to quit. When I signed up with them, all you had to do was meet a 1- or 2-year term. But now they want you to pay $12 to send the equipment back. To add more insult to this, they still charged me $75.00 for the equipment. What kind of scam is this? If anyone knows how I can beat them at this, put it in here. If a company is going to be like that, we need to drive them out of business.

Original review: March 27, 2013

Before having any issues with the company, I was a customer for six years; however just recently, the company began giving me problems. A woman named as Julie working in the management department was helping me with a plan (Worldmax, which I already had) that was said to have unlimited minutes to eighty countries including Bangladesh. However, I was charged extra for those calls. To be precise, I was charged $159.26 for November and then $157.78 for December. But the initial charge was supposed to be $9.99 plus tax a month for three months and then $20 a month until as long as I stayed with them. This is outrageous and a complete fraud, clearly I am being overcharged for a service that claimed free unlimited calling! Once I called after being overcharged, they claim that there were only 1,800 minutes free and then the rest was charged. Clearly this was false advertising and this company is playing games with several people across the world.

Original review: March 24, 2013

I cannot believe that this company can operate in the USA with so much customer-unfriendly behavior. I have had a very bad experience with them. I was a customer for almost 4 years and they are making it a pain to leave their service. They charge for every small thing, can't send the bill in snail mail and will not even tell you about this. I'm not going to refer anybody to this company.

Original review: March 7, 2013

In November 2012, my husband decided to add Infinity voice from Comcast to our existing service without telling me. Comcast informed me not to call Lingo and cancel but they would do all the transferring of the phone system. I continued to get $34.33 deducted from my account through January and then in March $75 was deducted. I called Lingo in Feb. and told them that Comcast had changed my phone service on Nov. 12, 2012. They said it was my responsibility to let them know so I told them to cancel immediately. They still charged my account $75 and didn't tell me to mail anything back. I had to cancel my debit card to stop them from deducting again, which was very much an inconvenience to me. After reading all these complaints, it will be a waste of time to try and get a refund. I just lost about $140 for service I didn't get. Oh well, rack it up for life's many bad experiences. I would not refer anyone to Lingo.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2013

I cancelled my Lingo service after many years, after realizing I just don't use it that much and would rather have just my cell phone. They gave me the shipping labels to send the equipment back, which I did promptly. Then first week of February, I saw they charged me $75. I called to find out what the charge was for and they said it was for not returning the equipment. I told them I did and gave them the tracking number. They said they found it and would send me a refund of the $75. Now here it is 3rd week of February and I still haven't received the refund. Each time I call them, I'm told the same thing - that the refund has been issued and it should show up on my card in a few days. Today I filed a complaint with the BBB. Hopefully now I'll see my refund.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2013

I have been a customer of Lingo for over 7 years and never really had a problem with them until I decided to cancel my service in November of 2012. I was sent a confirmation of my cancellation and told in writing that I did not have to return the Lingo adapter. In December, they deducted funds from my account in the amount of $75. After numerous phone calls and emails, I got them to admit that they deducted the funds in error but trying to get them to credit my account back is like pulling teeth. I feel like this is a ghost company and I cannot get in touch with someone who knows what they are doing. A few weeks later, I received a shipping label in the mail asking me to return the adapter? The customer service agents and whoever is returning the email correspondences refuse to give me a legit address or even a manager. I have written numerous letters to no avail.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2013

I was a customer of theirs for 7 years. After bills kept getting higher and higher, I decided to cancel their service. They said they would send out an address label for their equipment, which I am still waiting for. They also said that they would refund the unused amount since they bill before use. I called today to ask them where my refund was and to let them know that I have not received the address label. They had no comment about the address label, but they are now refusing the refund saying that they don't prorate. Prorate? I just paid for service that was not used and her only response is that they don't prorate. That company has some issues. I did tell them that I would be sure to let everyone know how they work, which is crappy. I will never recommend them to anyone anymore.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2013

They said they’d only charge $4, but they are taking $49 every month from my credit card. When I stop my credit card, they send the money to the collection agency. Can anybody help me on what I can do for this fraud people?

Original review: Jan. 9, 2013

We have a complain against Primus Lingo phone company. This company gave me a one month free and after that, $28 deal all taxes included with local and long distance unlimited. Now we get higher bill. Sales person said, "If you give me customer, company gives you $50 gift card for each customer. There is no limit." Within one month, I gave the company more than 25 customers. I didn't get any single penny. Everyday, the company is calling me to pay $60 for one month bill. I am using it for less than 25 days. My recruited customer get higher bill. This company is cheating the people. We have complained about this but no response. Every single person I've recruited was angry with me. The company didn't give response. Thank you.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2012

After requesting a termination of my account, I received an e-mail that I had to return the equipment within 14 days or face a $75 charge. I did so. Then I received a letter 2 weeks later with a prepaid UPS mailing slip saying that I had 30 days to return the equipment. They also debited my bank account for the cost of the slip. I spoke to 2 different customer service representatives and provided the second one with the UPS tracking number. After confirming that they have received the equipment, she said she was unable to refund the cost of the shipping label I received and I had to talk to a supervisor the following week. In the meantime, I messaged my bank to stop any further pre-authorized debits.

I called up Lingo back today and spoke with a female who sounded like an American. She processed my revocation for pre-authorized bank debit, verified the UPS delivery and when I asked to talk to a supervisor, she asked for the reason. I expected to get a run-around, but she put me on hold and then told me that I would receive a refund in the mail. That was quite a stress-free surprise. The other 2 operators spoke with an east-Indian accent and appeared to be sticking to a script. I will be contacting my bank again to inform them that I have given oral revocation to Lingo. I don't expect to see a refund in the mail in 5 days as I was told but I will be pleasantly surprised if I do.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2012

All in all, we have been using Lingo for several years and have seen a decline in their quality and customer service. After a hefty bill, we decided to cancel the Lingo account early August 2012 but couldn't get in contact with them. There were problems at their side. Alarm bells went off at ours, I can tell you. They kept on billing of course. Finally, I was able to cancel the account and blocked my credit card for them at the same time. We sent in the Lingo device exactly as they wanted you to do and I even checked if it was delivered with the tracking number - all looked ok.

Four weeks later, we received the bill for the Lingo device from Lingo. We already disposed of the tracking number, unfortunately. Now they keep on sending e-mails, each time from different senders. I tried to reply but nobody ever replied. Calling them is not a success; they keep on asking for the tracking number and will not bend. I know they received the Lingo device at their Texas address but if you can't give them a tracking number, they will bill you. It is their standard way of dealing with ex-customers. Advice? Stay away from Lingo. Quality and customer service had decreased the past years and they play a dirty trick on you when you send in their device.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2012

The company has provided consumers with inconsistent and conflicting messaging regarding return policy of equipment. After consumer contacted them to clarify, they did not respond for 16 days (automated reply email said a representative would get back within one business day). Consumer contacted customer service again, asking for clarification on what equipment should be returned. Company responded by saying materials should have been returned 14 days post cancellation and my account was now subject to $75.00 charge for late fee. (Note: Company had also mailed letter to consumer stating that the equipment should be returned in 30 days.) Conflicting messages, lack of response, and inconsistent messaging has now been followed by threats for penalty fees and has even resulted in one customer service rep referring to consumer offensively.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2012

Lingo offered international call connection for 1 month free then $9.99 for the rest of the period. Lingo took 34 dollars for first month from my credit card. When I did call on Customer Care Service, they promised me that they would refund the money and would charge only $9.99 for the rest of the life period. The following month, they took 54 dollars. I disconnected the connection and cancelled my credit card. Lingo refused to refund the money.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2012

Well I've been a customer of Lingo for 5 years and I asked them to give me better deal like Vonage has, $9.99, and they said no. I told them I’ve been a loyal customer and they seem like they don't care about how long we are with them and they just tell me that I don't get what I want, I have to take what they give me. So now I am trying to change to Vonage. I hope they learn that Lingo sucks on customer service and Voip services, too.

Lingo Company Information