1.00/5

Looking for a good VoIP provider?

Lingo

Looking for a good VoIP provider?

18 Lingo Consumer Reviews

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
      Original review: Sept. 17, 2019

I was a Primus customer for over a decade, I had zero problems with them that entire time. But then Primus got bought by Birch, and then by Lingo, and then by Fusion. There was no notification of how any of this purchase/merger would impact customers. It became harder and harder to get answers from customer service agents - most of the time, the wait to talk to someone on the phone was well over 30 minutes and they do not have an email address to contact customer service. Plus, with all the mergers, the company has increased the monthly pricing without notifying customers.

The final straw for me was when they charged me a $25 payment bounce-back fee even though I have automatic payment saved on my account for years, and the same credit card number has been used by their system each month to automatically pay my bill. It took me over an hour of being on the phone, talking to three or four different levels of customer service agents - including several who hung up on me because they could not deviate from their script. Finally, it took my repeatedly asking them, "Are you refusing to let me speak to your supervisor, on this recorded phone call?" to finally get someone higher up to finally refund me the bogus bounce-back fee. I repeatedly heard, "sorry we cannot do anything" or "that is not our mistake" or "we cannot give you the account number that our system used to process your payment"...excuses upon excuses.

Two months later, once the $25 credit showed up in my account, I tried to cancel my account and again, it took my calling 3 or 4 different toll free numbers, and over 40 minutes of being on hold to get to a live agent to get them to cancel my account. No one in customer service ever picks up, so I called the sales line - obviously they want new business so the line was staffed! The sales agent said it will take 3-5 business days to terminate my services, I hope I can finally get rid of this terrible company!

Lingo response

Good Afternoon! I have received notice that a team lead spoke with you? You provided some feedback which we greatly appreciate. Would you take a moment and update your review with Lingo and our quality review? Thank you so much!

Original review: Aug. 31, 2019

15-year customer, satisfactory relationship until the merger with Birch Communications. My experiences: (1) Received an after-the-fact notification of the merger. (2) Reported technical issues following the merger, went unresolved. (3) A monthly cost increase, without prior notification or agreement, was questioned with customer service and told my earlier service level was no longer available. A refund was requested and was told the tax portion could not be refunded, leading me to dispute the charge. (4) My intention to change the VoIP service was conveyed to the customer service agent and then informed the account would be closed at the time the telephone number was transferred. Now I am being told a separate call to customer service is needed to close an account (See Item (8) below). (5) Monthly billings continued.

(6) 3-Disputes were processed by my bank, 2-settled in my favor by credits to my account, the third was reportedly authorized August 21, 2019. (7) August 28, 2019, I received notice of "overdue payments due", and after several email exchanges asked for the matter to be referred to a manager, with the question, "Pay for services not provided?" (8) Was advised by customer service the account was closed August 12, 2019, in response to the 3rd bank dispute, with the telephone number transfer being completed June 25, 2019, along with the latest dispute credit being authorized and issued August 21, 2019-not yet received by the bank. (9) The bank's multiple dispute resolutions in my favor, and later an overdue payment demand, demonstrates a significant contradiction within the company.

The issues I have experienced with Lingo/Impact following the Birch merger are similar if not identical to the others posting found below. Obviously, the merger by Birch placed Lingo in a "not ready for primetime!" marketplace position.

Lingo response

Good Afternoon! We are very sorry to hear of the issues you faced with Lingo. I do not have any account information to research but if you would like to discuss this with me, I can be reached @ socialmediasupport@lingo.com Again, so very sorry to hear of your negative experience.

Get expert buying tips about VoIP Internet Phone Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2019

The worst. Was a Birch customer. They took over, they suck. Not only will they lie right to you, but 20 minute hold to speak to customer service where they will tell you something completely different than they told you the first time. I guess if you have a contract they don't need to care about customer service.

Lingo response

Good Afternoon! Please reach out to Socialmediasupport@Lingo.com so we can assist you and any issue you may be having. So very sorry to hear you have had a negative experience. We would like to change that and renew your confidence in us.

Original review: July 24, 2019

I was a Lingo customer for 14 years. I had a telephone number in the US and a local number in Brazil. It was a good service as my family could use the local Brazilian number to call me in the US. The telephone numbers were connected. I paid about $70 monthly. I wasn't told by Lingo that it had merged with Birch and Impact Telecom. This year of 2019 my Brazilian number stopped working. I tried to call and complain, but it was hard to get customer service. In April 2019 all the services were disconnected. I could reach customer service, and I was told Lingo had merged with other VOIP companies, and in order to restore the service I would have to pay $336 to Birch. I did pay the amount, imagining I would have the service again.

After that they started charging me about $70 per month but my number in Brazil never more worked. I called and was directed to Impact Telecom. The representatives never told me that I would not have my service back. I had open tickets. They said that they would call me back but they didn't. Finally, I found an Impact Telecom representative who cared and took my ticked to another department. The other representative told me that Impact Telecom was unable to provide the service that I had in Brazil. Then, I requested to be reimbursed for the service that I have been paying and not having.

I also requested to cancelled the Lingo/Birch/Impact Telecom service. The lady gave me a cancellation ticked number, and said would transfer to billing. Since then, I called other times to talk with the billing department, but they never connect me. Representatives from these three connected companies don't know what is going on. These are unreliable companies. One star is a very high rate for the service they provide.

Lingo response

Good Afternoon! I would like to know if your issue was resolved? Our apologies that we are just seeing this however if you would like to further discuss, please email Socialmediasupport@Lingo.com and I would be happy to talk with you!

Original review: June 22, 2019

My phone stopped working so I called the customer service. They tried to fix it and open a ticket because they couldn't fix the problem. Finally they think it's fixed but incoming call wasn't working. So I called tech support again but no luck. SO I decided to cancel the service. As soon as they hear I would like to cancel my service their attitude changed, acted like who am I? They even hung up on me. Very rude people at customer service.

Lingo response

Hello! We would like to address your issue internally. Would you please email Socialmediasupport@Lingo.com with your account information and contact information? So very sorry you had a bad experience with us.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Lingo?

Original review: June 18, 2019

We had Birch for 15+ years and have always been satisfied with their service. I got a notice that we are now with Lingo. Our phone went dead over 2 weeks ago. And YES, I checked outside box so I know it's the line! I have been lied to twice about when it will be fixed and another rep just told me be another 3 days!!! He says, "Is there anything else I can help you with"!!!! ** No you can't, just give me BIRCH back as my phone company.

Lingo response

Hello Sharon. We would like to address your concerns. Would you please email Socialmediasupport@Lingo.com and provide your account number and a good contact number. So very sorry you had a bad experience but we appreciate the feedback and want to make the matter right with you.

Original review: June 11, 2019

Most horrible customer service I have ever experienced with a phone company. They simply don't care how many consumers are upset. We were with Primus telecommunications for 15 yrs, no issues, but since Birch and now Lingo took over it's became a nightmare. My international service stopped working and I called 10 times for last 5 days and no one to talk to.. Hold time range from 25 to 75 minutes and then the rep doesn't know what you are referring to so they transfer you again yet to another incompetent customer service rep who again doesn't know why there is an issue with long distance calls and for 5 days. I asked to talk to supervisor, no luck, so I canceled the service!! The cheap cost is not worth it. Bad customer service, horrible communication and lame service all around. Goodbye Lingo never again!!

Ronit,

We are very sorry you had a negative experience with Lingo. We would love to renew your confidence and I would be happy to speak with you and address your experiences you had with Lingo. Please email Socialmediasupport@Lingo.com and provide your account information and contact information. Thank you

Original review: June 10, 2019

I was a customer of Lingo for the last 10+ years. One day, my phone stopped working. Lingo sent me a letter saying my plan was not supported anymore and I had to phone them to migrate to a new plan. When I called sales, they told me I had to get a new box and pay 50 USD or pay a more expensive monthly fee than what I had until then. They gave me no other option than to cancel my service with them. Terrible customer service and terrible way of treating their long term customers.

Javier,

If you would like to discuss the matter further we would be happy to speak with you directly. You can contact us at Socialmediasupport@Lingo.com I do apologize for the negative experience as we value all of our customers. We would love to hear from you.

Original review: June 7, 2019

I have a small business and got tired of contracts with AT&T and how they were always screwing things up. I had a buddy tell me his business phone was with Birch and there were no contracts so I made the switch in 2015. Never had any issues with the service but now in 2019 I decided to switch my business phone and internet to a local company. I called to cancel Birch/Lingo and was told I needed to give a 30 day notice and then I wouldn't be charged a $200 early termination fee. I disagreed and was irate because I had no contract but said "ok consider this my notice. I'll call back in 30 days and cancel". 30 days goes by and I noticed they charged me $185 through automatic withdrawal.

I called obviously extremely frustrated and get the runaround of how they can't change anything for me. All they can do is file a dispute and upper management will contact me in a couple days. Also said I had a voice contract. I said I wanted to hear it. It specifically said a month to month basis and never said anything of a termination fee. Management isn't gonna call me so they stole an extra $185 which I don't know why it wasn't $200 if that is their termination fee. They have robbed me. My hands are tied now. Unless I spend tons of money to sue them all I can do is write a review and hope that bad karma comes their way. Don't use this unethical company and make sure you disable your auto withdrawal if you are cancelling your services with them. This company is garbage.

Blake,

Please contact us at Socialmediasupport@Lingo.com so we can discuss this matter with you. We would like to resolve matter and are looking forward to hearing from you! So sorry you had a bad experience with us as we do value each and every one of our customers!

Original review: May 31, 2019

Our business had three lines with Birch Communications. Birch suddenly claimed that it was now Fusion. Fusion claimed that our account had been given to Lingo. During this period, we were unable to receive calls on two of our lines. For 3 weeks we were only able to leave messages. We made the decision to go with another phone company. Now, we are receiving bills for phone charges that were paid to Birch and that Lingo can't find. Lingo also claims that it intends to charge us a $200 disconnect fee for disconnecting their service early after 6 years. This is the most incompetent company on the planet. I would like to know how they have a license to operate.

Lingo expert review by Ellen Muraskin

Founded in 2004, Lingo offers nationwide calling plans for a low monthly rate. The plans include a wealth of extra features and unlimited calling to other Lingo users, regardless of location.​

• All-in-one pricing: For one monthly fee, Lingo offers its VoIP adapter and unlimited local and long-distance calling.

• Plug-and-play setup: To get started, simply plug the Lingo adapter between your router and your phone.

• More than 20 calling features: Call blocking, do not disturb and call return are just a few of the services included.

• Flexible voice mail access: Get access to voice-mail messages from anywhere using email inbox, phone or web.

• Port your phone number: Keeping your old phone number can be very important, particularly for salespeople with an established client base. Lingo makes it easy to port over your current number.

• Best for: Residential users and salespeople.

Profile picture of Ellen Muraskin
      Ellen Muraskin VoIP Contributing Editor

Ellen Muraskin has been writing about telecom and IT since 1993 when she joined the marketing department of Dialogic. In 1996 she joined the editorial staff of CMP’s Computer Telephony Magazine, rising to Executive Editor before joining Ziff Davis Media to launch the VoIP topic center of their eweek.com site. She served as senior copywriter for IT infrastructure company Raritan and has written and edited for several publications.

Lingo Company Information