1.5/5 (104 ratings)

About Lingo

Lingo Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Lingo?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Lingo?

Original review: Nov. 17, 2022

Experience several episodes where the phone service was out over a number of years. They were not reliable with providing a date service would be fixed. AT&T repairmen always came to fix. Requested they take inside service off which I was talked into taking. Numerous repairmen told me issues were outside. Was finally told that I would have call forward while phone was out to a strange number by customer service representative. I explained I did not have this strange phone number, this made no sense. The phone was not fixed as the customer service rep said. I called the strange number, and it was not in service. Called again with new representative and gave my cell number which worked.

I decided to change to another service and then started received bills with the strange unauthorized number. Lingo contends the new number was so I could receive phone service through new underlining carrier. So now I am being charged for months for this number. I could not get a reasonable explanation from customer service after many phone calls. Most of the representative barely speak English and they give vague answers. Do not use this service. We inherited them after they bought out the phone company we had subscribed with. They also said they were going to charge a $200.00 termination fee. I contacted the FCC and bill was changed from $311.67 to $261.00 which still does not make any sense. They are now billing for last month according to bill.

Lingo response

We apologize for your inconvenience. Please email us at socialmediasupport@lingo.com and we will be happy to assist you with your issue.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2022

We had an account with Startec for 14 or more years, we were not aware they were bought out by Lingo. We never had a problem making international calls to Greece and the UK. In the past month every time we try to make a call we get a message saying it can't be completed. I have called customer service several times. I always get a person with a very heavy accent and can't understand half of what they are saying. {My husband is from Greece so I am used to hearing an accent and know how to listen to people that have one.} They gave a different 800# to try, but it won't work either! They said we have to register any phone # we want to call first before we can call them. This sounds ridiculous to me. We never had to go through that procedure before. Just dialed the 800# then the phone #. Why should I have to register the phone #'s we call?!?!

Lingo response

Get buying tips about VoIP Internet Phone Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2022

WORST SERVICE EVER....I am not one to write reviews but with Lingo it is needed. Lingo called under the false pretense of being part of ATT and they were lowering our rate on local calls. Sounds amazing, right...not at all. I had lingo for 6 months and 3 out of those 6 months my landlines did not work. Every time I called to have them fixed, they would make a trouble ticket and tell me it would take up to 3 days to fix. I ended creating a trouble every 3 days for months and still they would not fix the problem, they would close the ticket out but wouldn't resolve the problem (attached is all the tickets I created to have my service fixed but it never was) I had to switch to a new company because my business landlines were down for so long, we lost thousands in revenue due to Lingo.

Lingo response

Original review: Oct. 24, 2022

On 7/18 service was cancelled and ported over to Spectrum. Agent, I spoke with assured us the phone was disconnected. Received another bill showing not cancelled. I called back in and they again assured service will be cancelled on 8/8/22 but could be up to 3 months before it would officially be cancelled. On 9/22/22, I again called in and was told our pending reimbursement of cancelled time was coming. I again called on 9/26/22 to get an update. I was then told it continues to be pending and it would be 120 business days before we received the reimbursement. Again, called today on 10/24/22 and was told the same thing. You have to wait for the 120 days.

Lingo response

We apologize for your inconvenience. Please email us at socialmediasupport@lingo.com and we will be more than happy to assist you in processing your refund.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2022

My parents were receiving 2 phone bills from different companies. So we wanted to have both phones with the same service & 1 bill. I called a new provider 8/15/22 to port the phone number to them. I was told that the account with Lingo would automatically be canceled since they would no longer have the phone number. In September, my parents received a bill from Lingo. I called Lingo, 9/13/22, was told that they do not automatically cancel accounts. Explained that they no longer had a phone number to bill, so why continue to bill? No answer to that question. He did say that he would close the account.

10/12/22 my parents get another bill from Lingo for the next billing period & the past unpaid bill. Called Lingo again, 10/13/22, spoke to representative. Explained the phone number was ported in August, I called Lingo in September, still getting billed for phone. He said it was for a final bill & a cancel of contract fee. Explained nowhere on the bill does it say final bill or a breaking contract fee. When I called Lingo in September, he said nothing about a cancelation fee. Today, Lingo said my mother agreed to contract, not in writing but on the phone on 3/28/2018, they have recording. That was 4 years ago. Lingo said there was an audio recording of agreement of contract.

Listened to recording. It was my mother, but the company named in the recording was not Lingo but Birch. Recording also asked & said this was for a 1 year contract. My mom said yes. Then it explained that it would be automatically renewed every year, Does she agree? My mother did say yes. I told Lingo, that it was not right to automatically renew without something from the customer. He was going to update the billing but could not do anything about the contract fee. Explain I would file complaint with the FCC. My parents are in their mid 80s and don't always fully understand these computer age terms. If Lingo acquired Birch, there should have been a new contract.

Lingo response
    We have reviewed the account and show that the ETF was credited on 10/17/22. The account is in the process of being closed and will update and apply credits on the next billing cycle on 11/03/22.

We apologize for your inconvenience. We do occasionally receive notifications from a new carrier that the service has been changed but they are not required to send out that notification and in most cases they do not. We have no way of knowing to close the account unless the customer notifies us.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2022

On September 6th, 2022 a Lingo Technician was scheduled to disconnect our fax line **. Instead, the Lingo Technician disconnected the Business Phone line that has been in service for over 50 years. We have been battling Lingo to get the phone service restored for over a month. We have talked to dozens of customer service reps & sales reps on 37 separate occasions, all reps promise a return call to resolve the issue. They will not provide a reference number, time frame for restoration or contact information to assure the matter will be addressed. Multiple Lingo Representatives have admitted that this was their mistake yet refuse to resolve the issue. This is an established Business phone number for a rural area business. We must have phone services; we have experienced extreme hardship from lost revenue ranging $40,000 + per week over the past six weeks. This service needs to be restored immediately.

Lingo response

We do sincerely apologize for the issues being experienced. We have again placed an order with AT&T to have the line restored. The order was submitted manually and shows a commit for today to have the services restored. We have called and left a message and will be working with the customer via their contact number to keep them updated on the status of the restoral of service.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2022

Need someone to call due to it has been a month and phone is not disconnected. Account holder is deceased. This should not be this difficult. A final bill of zero balance needs to be sent out. Please reach out to resolve.

Hi Lucinda,

I apologize for your inconvenience. Please email us at socialmediasupport@lingo.com with the account number or telephone number and we will be happy to assist you.

Thanks,

Lisa

Original review: July 1, 2022

Home phone out all day. Told it will be on within 6 days. Just recently got service. I will tell them I want to end doing business with them. Never have I had to wait 6 days for my phone service to be restored. Not a happy customer and will tell others about this too.

Hi John,

My apologies for your inconvenience and the delayed response. If you would please send us an email to socialmediasupport@lingo.com, we will be more than happy to try and assist with any issues you may be experiencing.

Original review: June 13, 2022

Our 877 line has been down since last Wednesday. All the customer care line says is "so sorry you are experiencing that, I'll let them know you need them to call ASAP." They never call. Apparently over the weekend they sent me an email, which I never received. What happened to the call? Our customers cannot get ahold of us. We are losing existing customers, we are losing sales, and there is literally NOTHING I can do about it because our 877 line is at the mercy of Lingo. I am already looking into a new provider because I cannot do business this way!

Loretta,

I apologize for the delay in responding and your inconvenience. Please email us at socialmediasupport@lingo.com and provide your telephone number and/or account number and we will be more than happy to assist you if this issue has not already been resolved.

Original review: May 28, 2022

Our law office line has been down a week. Not once a follow up. I would never recommend doing business with these people. They like to put people out of business. I specifically called, "Oh there’s a outage." 5 days later nothing.

Lingo response

Sarah - We are sorry to hear of the issue you are having. Can you please email us at socialmediasupport@lingo.com with your phone number or account number so that we may take a look at the issue and attempt to escalate if possible?

Lingo author review by Ellen Muraskin

Lingo is a network service provider with options for landline and mobile voice services, VoIP and broadband internet services for small- to medium-sized businesses and residential customers.

• Expansive network: Network includes 4 POPs, 120 fiber-route miles and partners such as Broadsoft, Crisco, GTT and Neustar. Lingo also provides comprehensive service and solutions through more than 300 connected carrier networks.

• Business solutions: Voice conferencing services make it easy to hold conference calls with toll-free access. WebEx is a web collaboration tool for sharing desktops, documents and applications. Plus, customers can get vanity 800 numbers, hosted fax communications and international long-distance calling.

• Residential solutions: Advanced communication solutions for home start at around $30 per month. Add-on services include long-distance calling, voicemail and inside wire protection.

• Mobile services: Unlimited plans start at $25 with no contract required. Simplified mobile services are available with 30-day monthly plans and autopay. Select from mobile device and home phone replacements or use your existing device.

• Wholesale voice solutions: Domestic and international wholesale solutions are available through Impact, a Lingo Company. Interconnection options include private ethernet, DS-3 and public internet over a low-latency, multi-vendor IP backbone.

• Customer support: U.S.-based customer service is available 24/7 for residential, business and wholesale technical support.

by Ellen Muraskin VoIP Advisor

Ellen Muraskin has been writing about telecom and IT since 1993 when she joined the marketing department of Dialogic. In 1996 she joined the editorial staff of CMP’s Computer Telephony Magazine, rising to Executive Editor before joining Ziff Davis Media to launch the VoIP topic center of their eweek.com site. She served as senior copywriter for IT infrastructure company Raritan and has written and edited for several publications.

Lingo Company Information