1.01/5

Looking for a good VoIP provider?

Lingo

Looking for a good VoIP provider?

136 Lingo Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 22, 2019

My phone stopped working so I called the customer service. They tried to fix it and open a ticket because they couldn't fix the problem. Finally they think it's fixed but incoming call wasn't working. So I called tech support again but no luck. SO I decided to cancel the service. As soon as they hear I would like to cancel my service their attitude changed, acted like who am I? They even hung up on me. Very rude people at customer service.

Original review: June 18, 2019

We had Birch for 15+ years and have always been satisfied with their service. I got a notice that we are now with Lingo. Our phone went dead over 2 weeks ago. And YES, I checked outside box so I know it's the line! I have been lied to twice about when it will be fixed and another rep just told me be another 3 days!!! He says, "Is there anything else I can help you with"!!!! ** No you can't, just give me BIRCH back as my phone company.

Get expert buying tips about VoIP Internet Phone Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 11, 2019

Most horrible customer service I have ever experienced with a phone company. They simply don't care how many consumers are upset. We were with Primus telecommunications for 15 yrs, no issues, but since Birch and now Lingo took over it's became a nightmare. My international service stopped working and I called 10 times for last 5 days and no one to talk to.. Hold time range from 25 to 75 minutes and then the rep doesn't know what you are referring to so they transfer you again yet to another incompetent customer service rep who again doesn't know why there is an issue with long distance calls and for 5 days. I asked to talk to supervisor, no luck, so I canceled the service!! The cheap cost is not worth it. Bad customer service, horrible communication and lame service all around. Goodbye Lingo never again!!

Original review: June 10, 2019

I was a customer of Lingo for the last 10+ years. One day, my phone stopped working. Lingo sent me a letter saying my plan was not supported anymore and I had to phone them to migrate to a new plan. When I called sales, they told me I had to get a new box and pay 50 USD or pay a more expensive monthly fee than what I had until then. They gave me no other option than to cancel my service with them. Terrible customer service and terrible way of treating their long term customers.

Original review: June 7, 2019

I have a small business and got tired of contracts with AT&T and how they were always screwing things up. I had a buddy tell me his business phone was with Birch and there were no contracts so I made the switch in 2015. Never had any issues with the service but now in 2019 I decided to switch my business phone and internet to a local company. I called to cancel Birch/Lingo and was told I needed to give a 30 day notice and then I wouldn't be charged a $200 early termination fee. I disagreed and was irate because I had no contract but said "ok consider this my notice. I'll call back in 30 days and cancel". 30 days goes by and I noticed they charged me $185 through automatic withdrawal.

I called obviously extremely frustrated and get the runaround of how they can't change anything for me. All they can do is file a dispute and upper management will contact me in a couple days. Also said I had a voice contract. I said I wanted to hear it. It specifically said a month to month basis and never said anything of a termination fee. Management isn't gonna call me so they stole an extra $185 which I don't know why it wasn't $200 if that is their termination fee. They have robbed me. My hands are tied now. Unless I spend tons of money to sue them all I can do is write a review and hope that bad karma comes their way. Don't use this unethical company and make sure you disable your auto withdrawal if you are cancelling your services with them. This company is garbage.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Lingo?

Original review: May 31, 2019

Our business had three lines with Birch Communications. Birch suddenly claimed that it was now Fusion. Fusion claimed that our account had been given to Lingo. During this period, we were unable to receive calls on two of our lines. For 3 weeks we were only able to leave messages. We made the decision to go with another phone company. Now, we are receiving bills for phone charges that were paid to Birch and that Lingo can't find. Lingo also claims that it intends to charge us a $200 disconnect fee for disconnecting their service early after 6 years. This is the most incompetent company on the planet. I would like to know how they have a license to operate.

Original review: May 23, 2019

On April 23, 2019 I called Lingo to close my account. I was advised it would take 10 days to do that. Really? The disconnect date was 5/3. I was promised a final bill that would refund me for the time after the disconnect. However, here it is 5/22 and I have a new bill for the coming month deducted from from my checking account. Customer support confirmed that my account was closed but could not explain why I have a new charge instead of check. Now, they tell me that it will take 30 days to investigate. That’s two months from the start. I just want my money back and I want it now. And they couldn’t understand why I was irritated and hung up on me while I complained. I have now disabled auto pay so they can’t take any more money from me.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

After we canceled our contract they continued to withdraw money from our account. They have promised us since September 2018 to send us a refund. Every month it is a different excuse and basic runaround. First we would receive this in two weeks and then they were still working on it. And After several months they informed us that it would be 120 days. Now the 120 days are up. They flagged this to be "taken care of." Still no refund. The girl took my email to "copy me on the flag." This was just a ruse to string me along again. DO NOT DO BUSINESS with this company!! Very untrustworthy. I will have to get my attorney involved.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

Updated on 03/21/2019: So to add to my other review, we are still waiting for refunds on our overcharges/wrong charges on one of our lines. It worked out they had overcharged by $650! But still waiting for the refund! Just kept on being given the runaround! Now also I’ve just found out they are charging me 50c tax on a $0.00 amount! When I raised this with them they said it’s mandated by government and they can’t change the tax! NO the government says you charge tax if you charge $0.00 then the tax is also 0 not .50c! At least I was able to transfer my numbers away from them! Now comes the fight for the refund back to me! Not holding up much hope. They are useless and they took services away from the new portal.

So in short you are now paying for a line that they say is $24.95 a month plus taxes and fees works out to be $35 but I’m being charged $49.99! And what’s more I’ve caught them out double taxing! SCAMMERS! They need shutting down! AVOID LINGO AND NEVER USE THEM OR LINGO.COM and the following other Lingo Entities and Subsidiaries. Lingo Communications, LLC; Lingo Management, LLC; Lingo Communications of the Northeast, LLC; Lingo Communications of Virginia, Inc.; Lingo Communications of Kentucky, LLC; Lingo Telecom of the Great Lakes, LLC; Lingo Telecom of the South, LLC; Lingo Telecom of the West, LLC; Excel, Impact Connect; Impact Telecom; Lingo Communications North, LLC; Lingo Communications South, LLC; Lingo Communications Midwest, LLC; Matrix Telecom, LLC; Trinsic; 1010-297; 10-10-636; 10-10-811; 10-10-818.

Original Review: Where do I start! I have two separate lines with Lingo and they use to be great! But now what a joke! Customer services never answers and you just get asked to leave a message and that they will call you back. Well over a month and still no callback! I asked for my plan to be dropped to a lower one and was told, "No problem. It's $25 to change," but they never did it and keep charging me! This was requested April 17! And despite repeated phone calls still nothing! Now the old Primus Portal was great. Could do lots like forward calls, simultaneous ring, etc. and now the new portal is utter trash! Nothing is on there. Just billing and account information. That's it! Time to leave!

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

We switched from AT&T for the alarm panel at one of the commercial buildings we manage because their rates were increasing, but I wish we hadn't. We have been getting "unidentified" errors on our alarm panel ever since we switched it over. Had alarm panel technicians out who say it is the phone lines, but Birch/Lingo won't check it unless we pay them $175 for "inside" maintenance. This despite us calling to complain. They should have set it up correctly in the first place. Their less expensive service is ending up costing us so much more. They also messed up the billing. Be warned, this lack of service is not worth it.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

I reported no phone service 12/21/18 on 2 phone lines. Lingo had a Verizon repairmen come on 12/27. Verizon reported that the copper lines are bad and that Lingo needs to have the line upgraded to Fiber. Lingo scheduled on 1/11/19 for Lingo to do this. Nobody showed. They then scheduled Verizon for 1/18/19. Verizon had an order for one of 2 lines and repaired that line. The second line is still not fixed or switched to Fiber. Verizon notified Lingo (Birch) in March 2018 that the lines need to be switched to Fiber as they no longer repair copper. The notice was ignored.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

We were happy with Lingo service since 2005. However, the current customer service from their current parent company (Birch Telecom - since March 2016) is of no value. It is easy to reach the company at their sales line (still the old Lingo organization), but a nightmare to reach customer service (Birch Telecom). We spent several hours on hold today before we were able to reach a customer service representative to cancel our account - such bad service. We could not even make phone calls anymore. We received an automated cancelation confirmation e-mail with information about how to e-mail the company. E-mail messages to customercare@lingo.com are rejected -- "You have reached an email address that is not monitored for responses."

Additionally, the cancellation e-mail told us they would send a return label (and charge us $9.95 for the label) to return a Lingo adapter. The problem is that we never received a Lingo adapter; we used our own equipment to connect to the service. They also threatened to charge us $75.00 equipment recovery fee for equipment we never received from Lingo. At one time, Lingo was a reliable US company. Now, Lingo is a scam company that should be avoided. Don't even consider trying any of their services -- find a reliable competitor for VoIP phone service.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

Lingo is one of the worst customer service I have come across. I cancelled my service with them, they mentioned that they will mail me a UPS return label to send back their adapter and will charge me $9.95 for it. I have not received the label back as of today. They keep charging your credit card for service, though I have called their account Dept. 9 times and asked them to refund my charges, each time the rep apologizes and will initiate the refund. Please be warned of it, lately they merged with Birch Telecom which has bad rating too. I highly recommend not subscribe Lingo.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

September 14, 2018 San Antonio, TX. We are reporting on a sad situation as we've witnessed the sinking of a once prosperous company. Here is the story as we have experienced it. In 2005 we signed up for a VOIP Voice Over IP account for my office phone at https://adventdigital.net with Lingo. They were located in the United States and the service and support were very good. We had need to contact support about every couple of years and the service was 4 stars out of 5. Lingo at this time was a valid contender with Vonage. In March of 2016 Birch acquired Primus Telecommunications Canada and Lingo. Since that time Birch Primus Lingo are failing, and they pose zero threat to any valid VOIP provider.

After the Lingo company was acquired by Birch everything changed. Support was moved to Manila Philippines and that is where the demise of this company began. All offices and phone numbers in the United States were gone. Support calls became a circular failure. On occasion, 5 or 6 calls are required to obtain a "partial solution". On ALL support calls they give you the option to rate the call by pressing the 1 key while holding. The staff in Manila completely stop this by never hanging up at the call end. They simply place ALL support calls on hold, so clients are NEVER permitted to submit a report of bad service. This horrible practice is about than 2 years old, and continues today.

The client portal at Lingo VOIP began failing in 2018. Simple tasks such as "View My Invoices" or "Current Calls" or "Billing History" have failed to function throughout 2018. These have been reported to Lingo Tech Support perhaps thousands of times by us and other clients. Now for 9 months this portal failure has gone unchecked. Also, the site is NOT secure, there is no SSL. This is NOT even legal in the United States. Next, in July of 2018 we called for Tech Support, and the person in Manila gave us a telephone sales pitch to change our plan from a $26.95 a month to a $19.95 plan. To our surprise our next bill was $68.04. Obviously this entire switch was fraud. But, this company appears to be in a death-spin of failing.

We have been completely unable to contact anyone at Birch Primus Lingo within the United States. We now have 8 phone numbers, but talking to U.S.-based staff is effectively blocked. Only after many days of trying, we finally have resorted to publishing these findings. We sincerely hope to save you misery from joining in a similarly bad situation along with thousands of other very disappointed clients. We are currently looking into NetTalk at this time

Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

I port my number over to Lingo, it has been 3 weeks and my phone still not working. I call them more than 6 times and they giving me the same poor excuse all the time. “We will call you tomorrow. We are working on it.” What type of company is this? I am about to go back to Vonage even though they don’t have my international plan. But it is not worth the hassle and the horrible customer service at Lingo.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2016

I was a twelve year customer with Lingo in South America, The US and Australia with no issues. Rates went up significantly the last couple of years so I cancelled my US phone line and kept my Australian phone line. Rates only dropped by about $10/month. In doing so, the Australian phone line stopped working. I spent over a year trying to cancel my service and get Lingo off my credit card. Customer service never answers the phone and you cannot cancel through your secure online account or by letters or emails. This is why it is a scam.

The service has been cancelled for three months now... Finally. They are still charging my credit card for a service that hasn't worked in over a year. They were supposed to send a courier to pick up the equipment from my Australian home. Instead they sent it to the cancelled US address and then charged me for the value of their 12 year old equipment because it is in Australia (exactly where it says it is on my online account). They can't do anything correctly.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2016

LINGO Voip phone company - This is the worst phone company one can ever possibly have. I had very low quality of service (they could barely me hear on the other end), they never fixed the problem, and when I decided to move to another company they refused to transfer my home phone number. They SHOULD NOT BE doing business in the United States!

Original review: Aug. 1, 2016

I was a long customer of Lingo (10+ years) when out of the blue, I saw my bill go from approximately $35.00 to over $100.00. My wife was talking to her mom overseas every day. Lingo, without consulting me declared that use a "business" and started charging us the business rate. Their free unlimited overseas is as long as you don't use it.

My attempts to explain that it was only my wife talking to her mom fell on deaf ears. I was told that in order to get the old rate, we had to significantly reduce the calls and then maintain that for 90 days, which we did. Then came the billing problems. We kept getting emails saying that the information for billing was not correct. I would delete and add the exact same information and the next month, the same problem. This went on for months until I finally dropped them (Lingo.com). The claims that there is unlimited international calling exists as long as you don't try unlimited calling. A regular consumer is not given any opportunity to show that the calls are not business. Seems like an opportunity for Lingo to increase revenue and restrict users from using their "unlimited" calling opportunity.

Original review: April 30, 2016

I canceled the service with Lingo 1 month ago. They asked me to return the router (their equipment) which I did on my expenses. Then they sent me a return label and bill for $9.95. Then when I called them, they apologized for the mistake and assured me that I won't be charged. A week later I was charged $13.32 instead of $9.95. When I called again I got another "sorry sir" and said that the refund will be sent between 3-5 business weeks!!! How is this possible? They had all information on their computer showing zero charges to me. However they charged me and even after they acknowledged the wrong charges their refund will be delayed up to 5 weeks? Why companies are allowed to work like this? Why there are no charges or fees/penalties for their mistakes? BEWARE! LINGO IS TRYING TO RIP YOU OFF IN ANY POSSIBLE WAY!!!

Original review: Jan. 12, 2016

I have been with Lingo for more than 10 years. In the beginning, they were pretty good and I enjoyed the ability to call the world very cheaply. More and more the line quality decreased, calls were dropped, and functionality floundered.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2015

On lingo website, they clearly stated that they cover international calls to landline/mobile for thailand so I that's what I have Lingo World 2M. First time they cheated me and refund me was the month of July 2015. On July 28, I called and they refunded. I set my account as auto payment and didn't check my account until last week November 10, 2015. I was cheated again! When the rep from lingo call to inform me that the account wasn't pay because my autopay method was decline, I asked him what was the amount and he says 93.03.

I asked him why I was charged that much and he says because they did not cover thailand mobile on all international plans. I was on a road trip so I couldn't check the website so I go ahead and give him the new payment information. When I got home and check to make sure if it's true like he says because before I join Lingo, I did my research. It was the purposes of it. Search shows its covered on all international plans - Thailand mobile/landline.

Original review: July 31, 2015

Cancelled account a few days after last billing cycle, since you have to cancel ON THE PHONE and they are clear on their website that customer care is ONLY open EST business hours (I'm on PST and have a job, you know so I can pay for things like phone service). Was informed not only would they NOT be pro-rating the last charge amount but also be charging me $9.95 to ship their hardware back to them. When I complained that most services pro-rate the amount for services not rendered I was told 'You should have cancelled on or before the next billing cycle'. WOW! 8 year loyal customer and I'm told 'sucks to be you' essentially. I saw the bad reviews of Lingo some time ago and I should have realized that they were shady when they never credited my account for the 'refer a friend' deal they had. They just feigned ignorance that I ever referred a friend (this friend signed up in front of me so I know they indicated I referred them).

I haven't used their service for months. So they haven't had to do ANYTHING and I've paid them for 9 months when the box wasn't even connected. They've gotten enough of my money. After asking for a supervisor I was told 'I'll get a supervisor IF there is one available'. Excuse me? IF one is available, what is going on that your supervisors wouldn't be available? Hold music. Lots of button pressing, as if they don't know how to use a phone. Finally customer 'care' comes back on and tells me a supervisor is not available but he will request I not pay for the shipping label. I point out that 'request' doesn't mean it will be honored. He said it WILL be approved. Sounds like someone talked to a supervisor! But of course they aren't available. They are probably sick of dealing with irate customers.

I'm so angry that I've paid them money for over 8 years (I had a second line that I cancelled some years ago) and they are still trying to suck more money out of me. Shame on you Lingo! I've been a dream customer. I rarely use your service, I STUCK with your service despite a period of 2 months where I was screwed around repeatedly when trying to add a new account and they even spelt my name wrong and couldn't change it and I continue to pay month to month. Why did I cancel? Lousy call quality. Calls would consistently drop around the 1 hr mark. Catching up with family? Screw you, you can only talk for an hour. Call them back. Switched to Vonage SO MUCH HAPPIER and Vonage has an iPhone app so you can use their service over wifi. SO SO SO SO much better.

Original review: July 10, 2015

I change to Lingo in April and we are already in July and I still don't have phone service and Lingo is being charging my account for 2 months already and my home phone is still not working.

Original review: June 25, 2015

I was with Lingo for 1 year with NO problems, up until last month. I had set up auto pay with my checking account, and faithfully they took out $14.99 every month. Last month all of the sudden, my checking account supposedly declined (which never happened, because my bank would have sent me notice that and ACH tried to come through). They wanted me to pay another $25.00 dollar "decline fee" to get my service up and running. I DECLINED! What a joke, this is how they make their money! I SWITCHED TO VONAGE, CRYSTAL CLEAR, NOT CRACKED UP AND BROKEN CALLS LIKE LINGO'S CALLS! Never again will I use Lingo, they are a rip off company..... I should have been with Vonage the whole time! STAY AWAY FROM LINGO, THEY SUCK AND THEIR CUSTOMER SERVICE CAN'T SPEAK ENGLISH FOR CRAP!

Original review: May 2, 2015

Not what I had expected after been with Lingo for 5 years... And I transfer my services to another provider and I kept getting charged for 6 month. And when I try to resolve this issue, representative acted like they didn't know what was the issue. Just kept reading the notes from the script they get.. and kept telling me that I need to close my account properly. And now all of sudden my account is closed properly after one call from their representative. Oh really. You guys are blood-sucking leeches. It was a nightmare having services with you specially when you tell me "oh your service is excellent and you will only get charged this amount of money per month" and only find out it kept raising month by month. Thanks a lot. Will never recommend this to anyone

Original review: March 25, 2015

I just completed terminating from Lingo. It was difficult and frustrating. I send three emails to customer service and they responded a week later with a auto generated one stating that I would receive a response the next day; that did not occur. I had to pay $9 or so to return the equipment, after being a customer for over 12+ years .

When I spoke to the customer service agent, he apologized by reading off his script which was even more frustrating. He was very polite and I understand that it was not his fault. Also, I was charged the federal program fees for over $3; this did not make sense as I did not have phone service the past month. I was told that it is automatically generated and nothing could be done. I don't care about the money as much as the principle. I felt that I was being cheated. After all, I had spent over $5000 over the time of doing business with them and then, I was forced into paying another $13 or so because of the terms and conditions.

Original review: March 3, 2015

I never said yes or I never gave any confirmation for their services. And one week later they sent me some equipment. I complained and said that I never agreed to your services so they said to send the equipment back. And I did send it back. I never used their services. I never opened the package. I sent back the same exact way I had received it. They are charging me $148.49 for what? And without giving any warning they reported to the credit bureau.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2015

They charged me $75 for "equipment recovery" on 2 phones that had broken 3 years before. I had been forwarding the lines to my cell for all that time because they would not replace the phones... They wanted to charge me.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2014

If you want to cancel your account after being with them for more than 10 years, they give you a hard time, they don't let you cancel the account and keep charging your card. Although I was told the equipment does not need to be returned if you had the account for more than a year, they keep making you return the equipment and pay a shipping fee of $9.99 for it. Make sure you take a picture of what you are sending them back in front of a witness. There is no physical address should you need to file a formal complaint. I filed a complaint with MASS Attorney general office. A class action lawsuit will perhaps get their attention.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2014

I was sold a package for $16.34 monthly. I specifically asked about additional fees and was told that the quoted amount was exactly what was to billed on my credit card. That was true for the first billing month BUT the second month had an additional section on the bill called "Fee, Tax and Surcharges" that increased the original quoted amount to $32.49 for that month. Each monthly invoice has been a different amount at roughly twice the quoted price. No one ever mentioned additional fees or asked for my approval for effectively doubling my monthly payment. This appears to be at least deceptive sales practice and at worst a scam. You decide for yourself but I would stay far away from Lingo.

Lingo expert review by Ellen Muraskin

Founded in 2004, Lingo offers nationwide calling plans for a low monthly rate. The plans include a wealth of extra features and unlimited calling to other Lingo users, regardless of location.​

• All-in-one pricing: For one monthly fee, Lingo offers its VoIP adapter and unlimited local and long-distance calling.

• Plug-and-play setup: To get started, simply plug the Lingo adapter between your router and your phone.

• More than 20 calling features: Call blocking, do not disturb and call return are just a few of the services included.

• Flexible voice mail access: Get access to voice-mail messages from anywhere using email inbox, phone or web.

• Port your phone number: Keeping your old phone number can be very important, particularly for salespeople with an established client base. Lingo makes it easy to port over your current number.

• Best for: Residential users and salespeople.

Profile picture of Ellen Muraskin
      Ellen Muraskin VoIP Contributing Editor

Ellen Muraskin has been writing about telecom and IT since 1993 when she joined the marketing department of Dialogic. In 1996 she joined the editorial staff of CMP’s Computer Telephony Magazine, rising to Executive Editor before joining Ziff Davis Media to launch the VoIP topic center of their eweek.com site. She served as senior copywriter for IT infrastructure company Raritan and has written and edited for several publications.

Lingo Company Information