Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.45/5

Start receiving calls today

Manage Your Business Phone System with Dash from VirtualPBX

Get started

Lingo Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Lingo?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Lingo?

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: June 23, 2020

I am so angry. I signed up with Tempo phone service on 6/3/20. I was billed on 6/4/20 by Lingo. I was told it would take 3 to 10 days for my service to start working. I told them I had phone jacks in my house. It is the 6/23/20 I still have no service. I have called on the 12th. They said it would be working by the 16th. I called on the 17th and was told there are 10 steps to process and I am 5. WTH? No one ever said this. I was waiting on the install they said. Called back on the 18th. Said they were sorry sometimes it takes longer. Now today I call he tells me I have had service since the 18th. No my service does not work. If I want one of them to come and install I would have to cancel my account and start all over again. Or I have to pay a electrician to come out and check my phone lines. No resolution. You have my money I have nothing. I will be following up with the Better Business Bureau.

Terri,

Can you please email your account information and a contact number to socialmediasupport@lingo.com so we can have the issue escalated by management for a resolve? We are very sorry that you are experiencing this.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: June 17, 2020

My mother, who doesn't even own a cell phone and still has dial up internet, suddenly started getting a recorded message from this company when she tries to make a long distance call. (I'm tech support type person so she asked me for help). She did NOT sign up for their service, she wouldn't even know how and doesn't have the type of internet required anyway. Her phone service provider said they have no affiliation with this company and has no idea why or how they got onto her line. I swear to Cthulhu if they try to charge her one red cent I'm gonna help her get a lawyer and see if there's other people they did this to so we can class action this POS company and maybe get them sued out of existence.

Hello Melissa,

Unfortunately if we do not have an account number or telephone number that you are willing to provide we can look into the matter. We do not know if this applies to our company or if it does we would like to research it and see what took place.

Get buying tips about VoIP Internet Phone Service Providers delivered to your inbox.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
      Original review: June 10, 2020

I have been with this company and its prior companies such as Birch for many years for long distance service only. At the beginning the pricing was reasonable, the customer service was decent and the website was operable. There has been a steady decline ever since I started using this company. The prices have more than quadrupled, the website gets worse and worse, and the customer service is abysmal. This month was the worst. They have an option for payment where it stores your bank account number. On my last payment I used my stored bank account number which has been just fine for many months prior. When I did my bank statement I noticed that I had not had charges for the prior month taken from my account.

When I went online to Lingo I saw that they said that I had entered the wrong ACH number. If that was true then none of my payments would have ever gone through but of course they have. I did not enter my number but rather used the previously used stored number. They then assessed me a $25 charge for a wrong ACH number. I called the customer service number and spoke to AJ. Apparently at this time he is the only person manning the phones. Or at least the only person I was able to contact via phone. I told him that I did not enter the ACH number, that it was taken from my previous my saved number which had worked there many months prior. That it was an internal error on their side and that they should reverse the $25 charge. He stated to me that the $25 charge was initiated by my bank and that he could not reverse it.

I asked him how in the world my bank would know how to charge him if it was the wrong ACH number since they obviously wouldn't have my account number. He had no answer. He then put me on hold and never ended the call so I finally hung up. I called my bank and confirmed that in fact they had not received a notice from lingo and had not charged me or lingo for $25. I again made a payment for the initial amount so that I would be up to date. I then contracted with another company for long distance and sent a written notice to lingo that I wish to cancel my service. I also notified them that I would not be paying the $25 fee as it was not generated by my bank and it was caused by an internal problem at lingo not by my error.

I also called their customer service again and spoke directly to AJ again and told him that I was canceling effective immediately. He stated to me that I had to pay the full amount of approximately $38 balance which included the disputed $25 fee which I refused to pay plus the full charge for June. Since it was only the 10th of June I told him I would be willing to pay for the time used which was one third of the month which is a prorated amount. His statement to me was that the full amount was a prorated amount. That is absolutely ridiculous.

I went ahead and made a second payment for the prorated amount of the month of June including all fees but not including the $25 wrong ACH charge. Their website does not work correctly. You cannot drill down on payments or mostly anything to see what the detail is. If you want lots of stress and to waste time on the phone and to feel insulted and lied to feel free to sign up with this company. But if you want an efficient satisfactory experience I suggest you look elsewhere. IF I could give them zero stars I would.

Kathleen,

We have reviewed your account and there are no current charges.

Again we apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

Lingo Team

Original review: March 8, 2020

You get what you pay for. Pro: Big savings vs. AT&T. Con: I can't forward calls to my cellphone. Con: They lost all my blocked phone numbers and refused to send me a list of incoming calls even after I showed them how to do it.

Hello Dean,

Could you please email Socialmediasupport@lingo.com with a good contact number and account information. Id like to get a specialist to review your account and any issues you may have.

Resolution response: April 15, 2020

After investigation Lingo support team found out the account was incorrectly charged for unused service and today I received the refund. I would like to thank the support team of Lingo for resolving the issue.

Original review: March 5, 2020

I ordered Mycountry plan (for $14.99/month as total amount indicated in my order receipt) from Startec/Lingo (now part of Impact Telecom) on 11/18/2019 and never received an email including account number, which is the only way to login to my account and activate the service. I wasn't charged right after my order was placed which doesn't make sense for a monthly subscription and I assumed the order wasn't completed. A few minutes after ordering, I received a phone call (sounds so professional!) from customer services telling that the requested service will be usable right after I receive the mycountry number. I received the email including the phone number that was supposed to work if someone in my country dial that number, which I should I receive that call in my US number. I asked my family to try it multiple time, never succeeded! I was never be able to use the service and not even able to login into my account to see the balances.

After a couple of months I noticed monthly charges added to my credit card for $25.01/month! I immediately called the customer service explaining that I never received the required information to use the service and had been charged for months, and they replied, "We can give you the account number now if you want?!" WTF? I asked them to close my account over the phone (the only way to do that) and after an hour being on hold, they said my account is closed. I was waiting to receive an email after closing my account, but no email.

Called again, this time someone was picking up my call and leaving the call unanswered (I could hear noises from people around the phone but no one answering). After many tries, finally somebody responded and I asked for a confirmation email to proof my account had been closed and they said, "We cannot provide such email for account closure! We see your account is closed!" That's it! Right after these calls, I have been receiving paper invoices in my mailbox, but they were not able to send them in first months or not even able to send a mail indicating my account had been closed!

I disputed all of automatic charges they had applied to my credit card (which was not a consistent number, never seen a subscription adding previous unpaid balances to the current month subscription fee! so sketchy!) and still waiting to resolve this issue. The technique they are using to steal money from customers is completely illegal and fraudulent and the way they provide you $14.99 as total amount in the order confirmation email by the time you order the service and a few weeks later, they charge you with extra fees added. It's not just not being respectful, but also harassing the customer by fooling them and sending bills every month! I hope they will pay back one day for all of the money they have been making by teasing their customers. This business should be investigated asap to prevent further fraudulent activities.

Lingo response

Hello Vahid, We would like to address this issue and your rating our of our company. Please email socialmediasupport@Lingo.com with your account number and a good contact number so we can call you and get this resolved.

Thanks so much,

Lingo Team

Original review: Feb. 18, 2020

I purchased Impact telecom from Lingo services, I wanted a cheaper VOIP service for my phone. As of today February 18, 2020 My service has a beeping noise, and will not let You call out to anyone. I have a very sick daughter who needs attention constantly and I do live alone. This should not be happening, If it is a Payment they want to set up, then do that. And give me all the credit for the phone never working in the first place. This phone has not been on, since I got it. The Other company disconnected the service on February 4, 2020. So therefore, Impact telecom has NOT been on at My home. I do not know what they are thinking, but It never was on, I am looking for another company, because I do not have any service at my home. They keep saying the service is on, they are Lying through their teeth. No service is on. I do want to say, they should not advertise this and do not do what they say?

Proper instruction was done by an Intelligent service provider. On my behalf, he informed me that, I should not let them get away. They needed to be reported, I had good service before I met this company and I do not have any service Now. Anytime, someone calls the number they get a Busy signal. And I have been home since, I plugged this crap of equipment Up. Come on now. If You do not have service providers why did You even Open up in the first place. We need help with the boxes and cords do not work either. Do better Lingo or get Out of Business Now. I have never seen anything like this in my whole life. This is just a pack of lies you all have told us to get started. Stop this gambling on Telephone service.

Good Morning Pamela,

We are sorry to hear you are having issues with your service and are we would like to assist you in resolving the technical issue you are experiencing. Please email Socialmediasupport@Lingo.com with your account number and a contact number and we can get a specialist in touch with you.

Lingo Team

Original review: Feb. 15, 2020

Zero stars if possible for theft $121.35 and incompetence. I was with Lingo for many many years, all of a sudden last year my account stopped working only to find they were joining another company and didn't bother notifying me. I was leaving the country so decided to put the port off till I returned which I was told I could do and when completed I'd receive my refund for all the months charged and no service. September rolled around and I ported and waited for my refund. Each time I phoned I was told another story and that I will soon receive my refund. I spoke with supervisors, nice people, mean people but no refund. Finally 2 weeks ago I received a partial refund.

Two nights ago I spoke with a supervisor who said she'd expedite (haha) the remainder of my $121.35 refund and would call me the following day. Yesterday I received no such phone call nor did I get a call today either. No refund either. If I owed ANY company that amount of money I'd have been reported to the credit bureau months ago and it would affect my credit. Yet they have no problem lying to customers and stealing their money. I'm beyond livid with this company.

Hello Reggie,

I have been advised that the refund had completed out.

Resolution response: Feb. 6, 2020

I will give 5 stars for the customer service from Impact Telecom customer service, company owned by Lingo Communications, because they are the ones that knew what to do and solve my problem. I write here to the CEO of Lingo, Mr. Griffin, to get a handle on this problem because integration into Lingo is not working smoothly and all these are marketing gimmicks: Every Lingo customer receives our commitment to: Listen before we act. Respond to your inquiries promptly. Resolve challenges quickly, and learn from them.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2020

As in many 1 star reviews my phone stopped working. Service provider is Lingo company who bought Impact Telecom. I think they have a deliberate policy to create discontent among companies the Lingo company acquires and to make them cancel their service. After more than 5 days of phone not working they told me there is nobody that I can talk to and just to shut up and wait till somebody will call me back. Today is 3 February 2020. I have experienced all the frustrations that other customers wrote about on this website and I am sorry that nobody send me an email sooner about Lingo buying Impact telecom. Please somebody inside the Lingo company send an email to all existing customers of Impact Telecom to cancel their contracts immediately. This company needs to be put out of business for all the mistreatment given to its customers.

Hello Lucian,

Could you please email Socialmediasupport@Lingo.com with your account number and a contact number so we can resolve any issue you may be having?

Lingo Team

Original review: Jan. 22, 2020

I was looking to port my number with Lingo to T-Mobile which requires me to provide them with my name, street address, Lingo account number and Lingo PIN. I go into my Lingo web account and get all of this information, call Lingo for the PIN and provide all of it to the other company. However, in spite of several dozen attempts, it has not been successful. T-Mobile tells me that Lingo is rejecting the port. Lingo has gone through so many acquisitions that each new agent I speak with gives me a different PIN number including my own name to use for the port. I've been a customer of Lingo for 12+ years. Never do business with this company.

Hello Mahesh,

Sorry you are having trouble porting your service to T-mobile. If you would like some assistance please email Socialmediasupport@Lingo.com and we will get your information reviewed. Please include your account number or telephone number and issue.

Lingo Team

Original review: Jan. 20, 2020

Lingo took over the customer base of Impact which had been my long distance carrier. Without any notification, they began charging a $7.95 fee for paper bills. When I inquired about the new fee, customer service said that I did not qualify for electronic billing and must pay an additional monthly fee of $7.95. When asked to talk with customer service, I received multiple answers that the fee was a mistake, I would be credited, I would have to pay the fee, and on and on. When I asked to cancel my service I was again given lots of different answers and the runaround about what I owed, how I couldn't get out of my contract, I would receive credit, and on and on. DO NOT DO BUSINESS with this company.

Hello Mary,

I am sorry to hear that you have had a bad experience with Lingo. If there is anything outstanding that we can address for you, please email Socialmediasupport@Lingo.com and include your account number and a contact number as well as any issues you would like to have addressed and I will be happy to forward that on to our escalations team.

Lingo author review by Ellen Muraskin

Lingo is a network service provider with options for landline and mobile voice services, VoIP and broadband internet services for small- to medium-sized businesses and residential customers.

• Expansive network: Network includes 4 POPs, 120 fiber-route miles and partners such as Broadsoft, Crisco, GTT and Neustar. Lingo also provides comprehensive service and solutions through more than 300 connected carrier networks.

• Business solutions: Voice conferencing services make it easy to hold conference calls with toll-free access. WebEx is a web collaboration tool for sharing desktops, documents and applications. Plus, customers can get vanity 800 numbers, hosted fax communications and international long-distance calling.

• Residential solutions: Advanced communication solutions for home start at around $30 per month. Add-on services include long-distance calling, voicemail and inside wire protection.

• Mobile services: Unlimited plans start at $25 with no contract required. Simplified mobile services are available with 30-day monthly plans and autopay. Select from mobile device and home phone replacements or use your existing device.

• Wholesale voice solutions: Domestic and international wholesale solutions are available through Impact, a Lingo Company. Interconnection options include private ethernet, DS-3 and public internet over a low-latency, multi-vendor IP backbone.

• Customer support: U.S.-based customer service is available 24/7 for residential, business and wholesale technical support.

by Ellen Muraskin VoIP Contributing Editor

Ellen Muraskin has been writing about telecom and IT since 1993 when she joined the marketing department of Dialogic. In 1996 she joined the editorial staff of CMP’s Computer Telephony Magazine, rising to Executive Editor before joining Ziff Davis Media to launch the VoIP topic center of their eweek.com site. She served as senior copywriter for IT infrastructure company Raritan and has written and edited for several publications.

Lingo Company Information