Lingo

Compare VoIP Providers

Research top VoIP Providers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I was a twelve year customer with Lingo in South America, The US and Australia with no issues. Rates went up significantly the last couple of years so I cancelled my US phone line and kept my Australian phone line. Rates only dropped by about $10/month. In doing so, the Australian phone line stopped working. I spent over a year trying to cancel my service and get Lingo off my credit card. Customer service never answers the phone and you cannot cancel through your secure online account or by letters or emails. This is why it is a scam.

The service has been cancelled for three months now... Finally. They are still charging my credit card for a service that hasn't worked in over a year. They were supposed to send a courier to pick up the equipment from my Australian home. Instead they sent it to the cancelled US address and then charged me for the value of their 12 year old equipment because it is in Australia (exactly where it says it is on my online account). They can't do anything correctly.

LINGO Voip phone company - This is the worst phone company one can ever possibly have. I had very low quality of service (they could barely me hear on the other end), they never fixed the problem, and when I decided to move to another company they refused to transfer my home phone number. They SHOULD NOT BE doing business in the United States!

I was a long customer of Lingo (10+ years) when out of the blue, I saw my bill go from approximately $35.00 to over $100.00. My wife was talking to her mom overseas every day. Lingo, without consulting me declared that use a "business" and started charging us the business rate. Their free unlimited overseas is as long as you don't use it.

My attempts to explain that it was only my wife talking to her mom fell on deaf ears. I was told that in order to get the old rate, we had to significantly reduce the calls and then maintain that for 90 days, which we did. Then came the billing problems. We kept getting emails saying that the information for billing was not correct. I would delete and add the exact same information and the next month, the same problem. This went on for months until I finally dropped them (Lingo.com). The claims that there is unlimited international calling exists as long as you don't try unlimited calling. A regular consumer is not given any opportunity to show that the calls are not business. Seems like an opportunity for Lingo to increase revenue and restrict users from using their "unlimited" calling opportunity.

I canceled the service with Lingo 1 month ago. They asked me to return the router (their equipment) which I did on my expenses. Then they sent me a return label and bill for $9.95. Then when I called them, they apologized for the mistake and assured me that I won't be charged. A week later I was charged $13.32 instead of $9.95. When I called again I got another "sorry sir" and said that the refund will be sent between 3-5 business weeks!!! How is this possible? They had all information on their computer showing zero charges to me. However they charged me and even after they acknowledged the wrong charges their refund will be delayed up to 5 weeks? Why companies are allowed to work like this? Why there are no charges or fees/penalties for their mistakes? BEWARE! LINGO IS TRYING TO RIP YOU OFF IN ANY POSSIBLE WAY!!!

I have been with Lingo for more than 10 years. In the beginning, they were pretty good and I enjoyed the ability to call the world very cheaply. More and more the line quality decreased, calls were dropped, and functionality floundered.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Lingo?

On lingo website, they clearly stated that they cover international calls to landline/mobile for thailand so I that's what I have Lingo World 2M. First time they cheated me and refund me was the month of July 2015. On July 28, I called and they refunded. I set my account as auto payment and didn't check my account until last week November 10, 2015. I was cheated again! When the rep from lingo call to inform me that the account wasn't pay because my autopay method was decline, I asked him what was the amount and he says 93.03.

I asked him why I was charged that much and he says because they did not cover thailand mobile on all international plans. I was on a road trip so I couldn't check the website so I go ahead and give him the new payment information. When I got home and check to make sure if it's true like he says because before I join Lingo, I did my research. It was the purposes of it. Search shows its covered on all international plans - Thailand mobile/landline.

Cancelled account a few days after last billing cycle, since you have to cancel ON THE PHONE and they are clear on their website that customer care is ONLY open EST business hours (I'm on PST and have a job, you know so I can pay for things like phone service). Was informed not only would they NOT be pro-rating the last charge amount but also be charging me $9.95 to ship their hardware back to them. When I complained that most services pro-rate the amount for services not rendered I was told 'You should have cancelled on or before the next billing cycle'. WOW! 8 year loyal customer and I'm told 'sucks to be you' essentially. I saw the bad reviews of Lingo some time ago and I should have realized that they were shady when they never credited my account for the 'refer a friend' deal they had. They just feigned ignorance that I ever referred a friend (this friend signed up in front of me so I know they indicated I referred them).

I haven't used their service for months. So they haven't had to do ANYTHING and I've paid them for 9 months when the box wasn't even connected. They've gotten enough of my money. After asking for a supervisor I was told 'I'll get a supervisor IF there is one available'. Excuse me? IF one is available, what is going on that your supervisors wouldn't be available? Hold music. Lots of button pressing, as if they don't know how to use a phone. Finally customer 'care' comes back on and tells me a supervisor is not available but he will request I not pay for the shipping label. I point out that 'request' doesn't mean it will be honored. He said it WILL be approved. Sounds like someone talked to a supervisor! But of course they aren't available. They are probably sick of dealing with irate customers.

I'm so angry that I've paid them money for over 8 years (I had a second line that I cancelled some years ago) and they are still trying to suck more money out of me. Shame on you Lingo! I've been a dream customer. I rarely use your service, I STUCK with your service despite a period of 2 months where I was screwed around repeatedly when trying to add a new account and they even spelt my name wrong and couldn't change it and I continue to pay month to month. Why did I cancel? Lousy call quality. Calls would consistently drop around the 1 hr mark. Catching up with family? Screw you, you can only talk for an hour. Call them back. Switched to Vonage SO MUCH HAPPIER and Vonage has an iPhone app so you can use their service over wifi. SO SO SO SO much better.

I change to Lingo in April and we are already in July and I still don't have phone service and Lingo is being charging my account for 2 months already and my home phone is still not working.

I was with Lingo for 1 year with NO problems, up until last month. I had set up auto pay with my checking account, and faithfully they took out $14.99 every month. Last month all of the sudden, my checking account supposedly declined (which never happened, because my bank would have sent me notice that and ACH tried to come through). They wanted me to pay another $25.00 dollar "decline fee" to get my service up and running. I DECLINED! What a joke, this is how they make their money! I SWITCHED TO VONAGE, CRYSTAL CLEAR, NOT CRACKED UP AND BROKEN CALLS LIKE LINGO'S CALLS! Never again will I use Lingo, they are a rip off company..... I should have been with Vonage the whole time! STAY AWAY FROM LINGO, THEY SUCK AND THEIR CUSTOMER SERVICE CAN'T SPEAK ENGLISH FOR CRAP!

Not what I had expected after been with Lingo for 5 years... And I transfer my services to another provider and I kept getting charged for 6 month. And when I try to resolve this issue, representative acted like they didn't know what was the issue. Just kept reading the notes from the script they get.. and kept telling me that I need to close my account properly. And now all of sudden my account is closed properly after one call from their representative. Oh really. You guys are blood-sucking leeches. It was a nightmare having services with you specially when you tell me "oh your service is excellent and you will only get charged this amount of money per month" and only find out it kept raising month by month. Thanks a lot. Will never recommend this to anyone

I just completed terminating from Lingo. It was difficult and frustrating. I send three emails to customer service and they responded a week later with a auto generated one stating that I would receive a response the next day; that did not occur. I had to pay $9 or so to return the equipment, after being a customer for over 12+ years .

When I spoke to the customer service agent, he apologized by reading off his script which was even more frustrating. He was very polite and I understand that it was not his fault. Also, I was charged the federal program fees for over $3; this did not make sense as I did not have phone service the past month. I was told that it is automatically generated and nothing could be done. I don't care about the money as much as the principle. I felt that I was being cheated. After all, I had spent over $5000 over the time of doing business with them and then, I was forced into paying another $13 or so because of the terms and conditions.

I never said yes or I never gave any confirmation for their services. And one week later they sent me some equipment. I complained and said that I never agreed to your services so they said to send the equipment back. And I did send it back. I never used their services. I never opened the package. I sent back the same exact way I had received it. They are charging me $148.49 for what? And without giving any warning they reported to the credit bureau.

They charged me $75 for "equipment recovery" on 2 phones that had broken 3 years before. I had been forwarding the lines to my cell for all that time because they would not replace the phones... They wanted to charge me.

If you want to cancel your account after being with them for more than 10 years, they give you a hard time, they don't let you cancel the account and keep charging your card. Although I was told the equipment does not need to be returned if you had the account for more than a year, they keep making you return the equipment and pay a shipping fee of $9.99 for it. Make sure you take a picture of what you are sending them back in front of a witness. There is no physical address should you need to file a formal complaint. I filed a complaint with MASS Attorney general office. A class action lawsuit will perhaps get their attention.

I was sold a package for $16.34 monthly. I specifically asked about additional fees and was told that the quoted amount was exactly what was to billed on my credit card. That was true for the first billing month BUT the second month had an additional section on the bill called "Fee, Tax and Surcharges" that increased the original quoted amount to $32.49 for that month. Each monthly invoice has been a different amount at roughly twice the quoted price. No one ever mentioned additional fees or asked for my approval for effectively doubling my monthly payment. This appears to be at least deceptive sales practice and at worst a scam. You decide for yourself but I would stay far away from Lingo.

I've been a customer of Lingo for 7 years and have been relatively happy. I work from home so phone service is critical. Sound quality hasn't been the greatest and recently calls started dropping. I was told at one point a few months back that I needed a new adapter, but then they changed their mind and said it was a port issue. I recently experienced a full outage and was told my adapter needed to be replaced. I was told at the time it would be 1-2 days before it would be shipped and they had no options to expedite or overnight ship a replace.

4 business days later and they still can't tell me when an adapter would be out. To make matters worse, and shame on me for not being a more observant consumer, their annual plan (which I've been on for years) is more expensive than their monthly plan! Couple that with the charge fees and taxes on the annual bill and you still receive a monthly bill of fees & taxes!! Took days and multiple phone calls to try to get an explanation, which was said very quickly in broken English, and when I asked if it could be emailed to me so I could try to understand, I was told that would be another request!!

My foolish loyalty has likely cost me money over the years and much recent frustration. Needless to say, I'm switching providers, I'll have an adapter overnighted to me and the price is way cheaper! Now to see how much trouble I'll have getting my refund! Lesson learned...always check prices before renewing plans/contracts and being a long term loyal customer means nothing anymore!!

I was sold this service for $23/Month for USA, Canada and one number in Pakistan or some thing like that as I didn't remember the full spiel. Then every month the bill started getting higher till it came to mid 40's. So I complained to the customer service and finally asked them to cancel my service. They said that they had to charge me for another month while I needed to return the equipment [Modem+power supply & cable] in the original box and that if it wasn't complete they would charge me $75. Fortunately I had the original box so when I got their letter with UPS tag and took it to the local UPS outlet and sent it.

Unfortunately I thought it was over and did not care much to save the receipt or tracking number. Couple of month later they started sending me e-mail that my account was unpaid and that as my card was changed due to a number theft, they complained that they could not charge my account [thank God]. I kept replying to the e-mails that I had send their equipment, the number was cancelled. They TOTALLY ignored and then sending me letters for sending my account to the collection agency. Now I have received the letter from a collection agency for a total of more than $125. So not only Lingo but some other business wants to be part of this fraud......FTC or BBB please stop this nonsense.

Lingo Inc (owned by Primus Telecommunications Canada Inc) has repeatedly refused and ignored my requests to stop charging my debit card, as I do not even use their service. I let my mom use my card to pay them once, months ago, and they charge me every month despite my consistent requests to stop. Now, I'll have to cancel my card and file a civil claim against them. They also somehow raised their "taxes and fees" from just a couple dollars to almost $30 over this past month. I see online that many people have had this same issue with them, but they continue these illegal practices without any repentance whatsoever (maybe because they're a multinational and think US laws do not apply to them).

I had Lingo service up until over 10 months ago when I disconnected the phone and called to cancel the service. Since it was being paid by my accountant through the business I do not keep close track on those charges. MY BAD. Now they say they have no record of the request, and do not monitor whether there is an actual phone number receiving service or not.

They charge you before you even start the service. They charge you all the time without even using the service!!

Stay away from this company. They will bill you long after you are done with them. They don't do refunds, have rude customer service and have a hard time with the truth. Terrible terrible experience. I feel violated.

They are so bad that I am reporting them to the Better Business Bureau. They turned off my company's phones BY MISTAKE, which they have acknowledged in an email, then guaranteed it would be on by the end of the business day. That was Monday. It is Thursday afternoon. I have called in 10+ times and the phones are STILL NOT ON!! They are costing me hundreds of dollars per day that my phone is off, and not one person in their company cares at all. They are so pathetic that it almost seems like you're being "punked." I cannot emphasize enough how terrible, unaccountable, uncaring, dysfunctional, and incompetent this company is.

I had been on Lingo.com's service since July 2009 due to their included rate for calls to Taiwan where many of our family still reside. On August 2, 2013, we decided to switch company and ported the number to Vonage. The actual switch of number took place on August 14, 2013. I indeed did not call Lingo to cancel the account, thinking most telecom companies (landlines, cellphones) would stop the account after the number switch. I got billed on September 4, October 4, and November 4. I called November 5 to cancel the account and they wouldn't credit back the 9/4, 10/4 charges. I disputed through the credit card company and the 9/4, 10/4 charges were returned.

On November 14, Lingo's rep called with threatening phrases so I gave them another credit card number to bill for the 9/4, 10/4 charges. It was confirmed that the account was cancelled, and I couldn't access the account online anymore. I got a call today (12/2) from Lingo, possibly the same rep, asking to authorize another month's charge. I denied and he was again threatening to send me to collection. A complaint was filed in November to FTC but I haven't (or should I expect) heard from them. Lingo is basically charging services that they do not even own, and this is way they treat their customers of 4 years.

I ordered Lingo and what was supposed to be $22.95 + taxes somehow became a $47.52 bill and what's worse is that when I tried to cancel, they told me I would be charged for an additional month before the cancellation went into effect. I am appalled! I really think consumers need more protections from predators like Lingo!

I had dealt with them 1.5 years, Complaint written to FCC. No customer service solution. Charged me 3 months after cancelling. After 30 hours of calling they suspended my account (So called unlimited). I lost my home phone number because they did not allow my new company to port. They will lower your voice quality as time goes by. I was without my number 3 Months MISSING Call from BANK's CREDIT CARDS and all other places. You want to go with those Indians, GOD bless you.

They will trap you with all fraud offer by phone and later they will change their voice and will say “we did not offer you those services.” Even if you are not satisfied with the service and you want to cancel service they will charge you with those services you didn't use. Totally a fraud company. Beware of them.

Lingo has the worst customer service. Telemarketers deceived us into getting Lingo phone service and they sent us 3 Lingo sets in 2 months. After promising us that we will be charged $5.95 per month, they charged us $70 - $80 even though we didn’t even open the box yet. They sold our contact info to other Telemarketing agency. Never use Lingo phone service, I would never recommend this company to anyone.

I had signed with Lingo as their sales team told me that it's a one-month free trial membership where you have to pay $5.00 for the equipment. After a month, they will call me again for the feedback and then I can decide for the membership. But they just started billing me for next months without my permission. Their sales team will give you any commitment to get the business.

I joined LINGO because of some customer service call for $9.95 for 6 months offer. But when I called up to join LINGO, they didn't even know about the offer. Somehow they tried persuading me to join with some contract, but at last they agreed (after consulting with the manager as they say) to give away the offer. There it started the disaster. I used to keep getting billed for $23.99 with taxes and fees for $12.99 every month. I had to call them up to refund the $14.00 they charged extra. They credit that as a credit memo, which will be applied next month. I had to keep calling them every month and do the same.

After 3 months of constant creeping, they applied the discount to my account and somehow they lost the credit card details from my account. Once the next invoice was generated (even though the due date is June 12, 2013), they suspended my account due to nonpayment. Oh, what more to say? I had a difficult time with customer service guys and decided to get rid of this crap. I am not sure what more disasters are on my way as I have to send the device back within 14 days and pay money for the service I haven't used.

Moral: STAY AWAY FROM THESE LINGO GUYS.

I was sold an equipment by a telemarketer sometime November 2012. It was a device similar to Magic Jack, but is hooked up to a landline phone for international calls. It has to be set up by the other party on the other side of the globe to whom the person here in the US would have an international phone call communication. I received the equipment around January 2013. I never opened the box, never set it up, nor installed it. The equipment is still in a box marked IMPORTANT NOTICE: BY OPENING AND INSTALLING THE ENCLOSED EQUIPMENT, YOU ARE AGREEING TO LINGO'S TERMS AND CONDITIONS WHICH CAN BE FOUND ON WWW.LINGO.COM.

I was never informed in writing that I will be billed monthly on the credit card that was charged for the initial purchase. There was no follow-up about the state of my service, nor did I receive a bill nor receipt for the charges made on my card. They charged me a total of $136.51. Customer service is feisty and adamant. They refused a refund, nor would they give any consideration such as giving services equal to what they have charged me. I never availed of their services. They never sent me receipts for the charges they made on my card to inform me of the supposed service I got from their company. Now, in order to do a full cancellation, they will be charging me again $9.95 in order for me to return the unused equipment.

Shouldn't companies provide good customer service by refunding money for service I have not availed of and, at worse, unsatisfied of? Instead, I get customer service representatives who would fight and argue the point that it was all my fault when they should have the responsibility of informing their supposed customers that they are taking money from them. They are not conducting proper business ethics when they just took out money automatically without any proper receipts and written acknowledgement. Worse, my card was hacked and has received charges from other telecommunication companies. LINGO is a scam and is out to rip-off people!

Expert Review

Ellen MuraskinVoIP Contributing Editor

Ellen Muraskin has been writing about telecom and IT since 1993 when she joined the marketing department of Dialogic. In 1996 she joined the editorial staff of CMP’s Computer Telephony Magazine, rising to Executive Editor before joining Ziff Davis Media to launch the VoIP topic center of their eweek.com site. She served as senior copywriter for IT infrastructure company Raritan and has written and edited for several publications.    More about Ellen→

Founded in 2004, Lingo offers nationwide calling plans for a low monthly rate. The plans include a wealth of extra features and unlimited calling to other Lingo users, regardless of location.​

• All-in-one pricing: For one monthly fee, Lingo offers its VoIP adapter and unlimited local and long-distance calling.
  • Plug-and-play setup: To get started, simply plug the Lingo adapter between your router and your phone.
  • More than 20 calling features: Call blocking, do not disturb and call return are just a few of the services included.
  • Flexible voice mail access: Get access to voice-mail messages from anywhere using email inbox, phone or web.
  • Port your phone number: Keeping your old phone number can be very important, particularly for salespeople with an established client base. Lingo makes it easy to port over your current number.
  • Best for Residential users and salespeople.

Compare VoIP - Internet Phone Service