IDT Long Distance

Compare Miscellaneous

Research top Miscellaneous recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Please stay away from IDT, it is a SCAM!!! The card claims to be international. When called to activate, I was informed it can only be used in the US! How is that international??? Then I was informed that I can not get a refund. I am trying to warn the public about these SCAM ARTISTS! I don't know about you but I work very hard for my money and don't like being TRICKED out of it!!!

In May I was sent a letter regarding Verizon copper to fiber optic lines. I immediately responded and told them I never was aware that Verizon owned my telephone lines and I would never have signed on. However Michelle at IDT assured me that she would have someone call with options and would definitely let me know prior to any disconnect of service. This was not done and my phone was disconnected on 8/17. The office of Assembly person, Rebecca ** can fill you in on all the frustration, time and effort went into having the service restored. Including a fight over my telephone number between IDT and Verizon. The customer service people at IDT are rude especially Derrick who constantly says the customer is wrong.

I am out of work due to job abolishment as of 7/16 and needed my phone number as I had sent out 50-60 resumes with that number. I am a senior citizen and have had health issues due to the stress of these situations. I hold IDT and Verizon totally responsible for this and intend for something to be done to protect other senior citizens against this treatment. Today my friend has waited since 11 am and it is now 2:45 PM and Verizon has not shown up or called regarding the appointment. They insisted she have to change her service. The first appointment she had a Verizon tech told her she did not need to change the wire and yesterday she was called that her service would be cut off and now they did not show up yet.

I phoned Customer Service after mistakenly trying to enter an expired card online. Since I had purchased a new card, I couldn't immediately tell the difference. I had never scratched off the cover of the PIN#. The lady that helped me was very cordial and she informed me that an expired card could be "revived" and I would be able to use it within 2 business days. I was so surprised! She also patiently explained to me how to call back into the U.S. from abroad. I distinctly remember having some customer service issues in 2013. Not so in 2015. I hope her promises come through. I can't wait to use my OLD card along with my new card.

Purchased from Walgreens an IDT international calling card. Called IDT to request access numbers for all the countries I will be visiting. Card will not work for Czech Republic and Hungary. This is not a true international calling card.

I've had this business phone service for a while, they apparently purchased their service lines from arise in phone company and then sell it to the consumers. Whenever the line goes down they take forever to get it repaired and then after days and some time weeks of arguing they may give you a four dollars refund. They have a don't care policy when it comes to the consumer and trying to get a supervisor or manager or someone in corporate is damn near impossible. If and when you finally get someone higher than the incompetent uncaring subordinates that originally answer the phone call, higher-ups are no better.

Most likely the only reason one is company has customers all, is because it still cheap. But it just goes to show, you definitely get what you pay for especially with this company. I don't even think this company hires anyone unless their Hispanic or Dominican. Because all of the times I had to call them for lack of service no one has answer the phone that has been African-American or any other nationality. If you can go to another company.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about IDT Phone Service?

I purchased IDT International Long Distance phone card so as I could call Spain from my iPhone. It stated great rates for all over the world including Ireland. I followed the instructions on the back of the calling card, I dialed the ONE Eight Hundred number and then entered my pin number. I followed the instructions and got through to my destination several times over the course of three days. However, a day later Telefonica (Movistar) texts me to inform me I have over 280€ on Long Distance calls.

I was surprised because I had used my calling card. Clearly, dialing the 1-800 number on the back of the card starts the clock ticking from my Telco's point of view, irregardless that I was passing through IDT's trunk line for the discounted call. This is a fundamental issue that is NOT stated anywhere on the card. You know, something like: WARNING! The use of our 1-800 number will be considered a long distance TOLL CALL when using our services. EPIC FAIL. EPIC RIP OFF.

I have used this calling card for years!!! Recharge online. No problem. However, two things: 1) a friend I call in Alaska doesn't answer because the 'caller' is NOT my phone number???? 2) I have used this card for a long time, no problem. So I go to call my son in Alaska on a LAND LINE and I get this idiot talking about mobile, and not allowing my call to go through!!! I have done this for years! No change, nada! But all of a sudden I am getting stonewalled by these folks. So I call customer "service". She alludes to it being MY FAULT. It is not. I haven't changed anything. THEY have changed. But it took several, several, several minutes of my trying to convince this person it was not my fault!!! So finally, she said she would turn it over to technical services. We'll see. I have not tried since, but hate to fail. Stay tuned. There is a problem here, and it is not me.

I bought a $20 card from costco. Made two calls. After 2 weeks I tried to use the card and there was no balance. I have used these cards previously and never had a problem. This company is dishonest.

I purchased 2 IDT phone cards in July 2013. I didn't activate until Dec. 2013 (they're supposed to be good for 12 months from activation date). When I attempted to use it yesterday (7-18-13) found it was expired as well as the card that had never been activated. When I called customer service I was informed that the date of expiration ran from the date the card was purchased which is BS. I have purchased these cards from Walgreen in the past and never had this problem. I went to my local CVS and spoke to the manager who said they only sold the cards and that I would need to call cust. ser. and ask to speak to a supervisor.

Needless to say I held for quite some time and was never connected with a supervisor which I had already told the CVS mgr. would happen. My neighbor also purchased 2 cards at the same time I bought mine and never activated hers so she's out $60.

I purchased an IDT INTERNATIONAL Prepaid Long Distance Phone Card from Rite Aid at the Airport for $20.00. My sister purchased one for $10.00. When we got to the Dominican Republic and tried to use the card, it was on the back of the card that you have to call the US from WITHIN the US first to even see if the card works in your destination. The problem is that you have to purchase the card to get the pin (scratch off) on the back. Then you find out that the card doesn't work from your destination. Guess what? It also says in fine print that the card is nonrefundable. So we just gave this company $30.00 for nothing and customer support confirmed that it is nonrefundable and so did Rite-Aid. Shame on them for selling such a misleading product.

I called to Cape Verde and the line kept on ringing for a while, but no one picked up. I tried to call again and it said that I run out of my minutes. I called customer services, they said that they registered the called as a call actually made. I told them that the call was not completed because no one picked up, they did not believe me and told me that they registered the call and that no one waits that long in line, that I should have known that there was a problem. I asked to talk to the supervisor and they turned my call down three times. They are obviously trained in ripping off people.

I have used IDT America for several years and not until yesterday did I learn that this company will cancel long distance service if no long distance calls are made. The fact is I prefer paying for the service just in case I need it not because I make a lot of long distance calls. I know that there have been months go by before I need to use the long distance service and have never before experienced my service being canceled.

My last payment was made in January of this year. At the time, I did not know that IDT America had canceled my long distance service in December 2013. Yesterday, I logged into my account and found that I had a zero balance due. I called IDT America customer service and the phone tree indicated that I had a credit of $20.98. After several minutes of pressing numbers on my phone's key pad, I got connected to a real person who I could hardly understand. She explained that the computer will automatically cancel service for anybody who does not make a long distance call. This has never happened to me before!

I told her to restore my service. I also told her that I never knew about this long distance call requirement before. I asked her if it was something new and she said that it was in place always. From my experience, I don't believe it has been. I asked her why IDT America did not send me an email message to notify me of impending cancellation of service. She said that they were not set up to do that. So, I asked to have my service restore?? I think that this automatic cancellation policy is wrong. It would be similar to my insurance company canceling my policy because I don't file a claim.

I bought a 2,000 minutes IDT Phone Card & the way the card was packaged, you can only view the front. My mother bought two so she had 4,000 minutes. Little did we know that on the back of the card that is not exposed during purchasing, is an exp date which last only 12 months. I or my mother talk that much Long Distance esp. if we both have 1 or we would not have bought so many minutes. When we called IDT, the rude rep only gave us an additional 3 months. Never again!

I purchased IDT International Long Distance phone card so as I could call Ireland from my iPhone. It stated great rates for all over the world including Ireland. I followed the instructions on the back of the calling card, I dialed the ONE Eight Hundred number and then entered my pin number. I followed the instructions and got through to my destination. However, sometime later AT&T text me to inform me I have over $117 on Long Distance calls. I was surprised because I had used my calling card. I called ADT and explained my case. Their customer service people have very poor English and blamed me for the problem. Somehow I had not carried out the directions on the back of the calling card correctly and the calls went onto my AT&T cell phone bill.

I believe there is false advertising going on here which is very misleading. I asked over and over again what I should do so this wouldn't happen, the CS person told me repeatedly to follow the instructions on the back of the card. I find this very disturbing, customers are being ripped off. I asked to speak to a manager 3 times before he put me on hold and went to get clarification on how to help me. Has anyone else had this problem who can advise me on what to do next.

Worthless, it's cheaper to call from my home phone to Europe than using calling card. I had called the IDT company before purchasing the card for rate. She put me on hold for a few minutes to find out when she got back on. She said that I could call a mobile phone there for 14.343 cents a minute which I said not bad at all. So I bought the buy one $25 get one free Walgreens calling card. When I called the number on the back, I gave the PIN and it told me I had 50 minutes for the call. So I called and was on the phone for 10 minutes, so you would think I had 40 more! No, not the case. I tried to call today and it told me I have 28 minutes left or $14. I did the math and it's a scam. The minutes work out to 50 cents a minute. Don't buy these. It's false advertising on the card itself and the poor customer service. I tried calling numerous times about this. It keeps hanging up on me. Do not buy this scam. Learn from us! Save your money!

I purchased 2 of these prepaid long distance phone cards - each card good for 350 minutes. I purchased them on 4/7/12. I tried using one of them today (4/28/13), only to find out that both of them are no longer active! One of the card was never used and the other still had approximately 110 minutes remaining, which totals approximately 460 minutes of unused long distance phone time that I paid for and have now lost. After examining the cards extremely closely, in extremely small print, at the bottom of the card on the back it states: Card expires 12 months from activation date or last recharge, whichever is later. I do not have a problem with the expiration period. I do have a problem with how and where it is displayed on the card! This should not be allowed. It should be displayed on the card in a size and place that is legible.

I bought two IDT prepaid long distance calling cards from Costco. Every time I try to place a call, the person on the other end hears a loud echo and so we end the call. I have called IDT customer service multiple times from 3/24 through 4/6/13. They keep telling me it will be fixed in 24 hours. It has not been fixed. I even had my phone company come out to make sure the problem was not with my phone or my phone line. The customer service reps are very difficult to understand and are indifferent to my problem. A few of them have actually been outright rude. Also, it is an ordeal just to get through to a person to try to explain your problem.

I have been put on hold for over 10 minutes at a time. I finally demanded to speak with a supervisor, was put on hold for over 10 minutes, and no one picked up. I called back again, asked to speak with a supervisor, was put on hold, then the same man got back on and was trying to tell me what the supervisor said to him. He would not let me speak with a supervisor. I will be returning my calling cards to Costco today and will be sure to let them know about the horrible customer service through IDT. This is not the way Costco treats its customers, so I'm sure they will be disgusted as well.

I bought my Costco IDT Prepaid Long Distance phone card for 20 bucks. On the back of card are instructions to call 1 800 672-4597 before leaving the US to get rates to use in a foreign country. So I called and got a very rude Girl (with a Puerto Rican accent). She actually slurred as she spoke. It sounded like she called herself Tara or Mara; speech was so slurred. I tried to get rates; she said she didn't know. I said, "Then why are the instructions saying to call you for rates?" She kept me waiting several times for over 10 minutes each time, On the 3rd call, I finally asked for a supervisor (waited another 10 min.) and it sounded like the same person, same accent but with a better speech. She, too, was very rude and hesitated about giving me correct information. I called over a period of several days. It seemed I kept getting the same rude girl. Is this a horrible company to deal with, with the same rude person on the other end that slurs and has no correct information for customer support?

I purchased a calling card from this company under the auspice of calling the UK. Not only is their customer service ineffective and run by uneducated inept individuals, but they are rude and put you on hold for hours on end. Ultimately, it is a $10 lesson, but you compound that by the multitude of people being ripped off and you can see where it ends up going. I was told my card, with a balance of $10, was expired and that the balance was forfeited. The woman who answered my call not only spoke horrible English, but when I asked for a customer service manager, she put me on hold, never coming back with the manager. These cards are endorsed by 7/11 stores, but 7/11 does nothing to prevent customers from getting ripped off. You can see by the horrific customer service reviews on this site that this company is not only a rip off, but hold absolutely not regard for their "customers". Save yourself the money and never do business with this company. To file complaints against this rip off company use their address: IDT, 520 Broad St., Newark, NJ 07102.

I had no problem with Costco IDT cards until this last card. The first half of the minutes worked just fine then I was unable to call any in-state number. All I got was the annoying noise and "you have reached a non-working number please check number and try again". It didn't matter what in-state number called or what phone or phone called from. It did work for out of state calls but no calls with my same area code. I called their help line and was treated like a stupid idiot. They insisted it was that I dialed too slowly or the numbers I called were really non-working. Luckily, Costco is going to refund my money.

I purchased a Walgreens/IDT Phone Card Plus and used all of the minutes. When I returned to the store to have it recharged, the manager informed me that the cards are not rechargeable and must be purchased new each time. This is not going to change my life, but a new PIN has to be used for each card purchased? I think I will shop for another card that is easier to add minutes. Walgreens just lost me as a repeat customer after several years of shopping there. The managers don't care about customer service at all. A happy customer is a loyal customer.

I bought a $20 phone card. The 800 # kicks to a misleading directory assistance site. I cancelled out of the site (at who knows what cost), but I still can't make a phone call because I can't get past the diversion. I hate to think what calling the help # will cost. I will try to return card to Safeway.

I bought an international calling card about 2 years ago for $25.00, and I never used it. I wanted to make an international call to Mexico. It keeps giving me the same message that the PIN is invalid. Whats up with that? Do the cards have an expiration date?

We had IDT long Distance Service. We moved and I called IDT to cancel my service and get a refund for the credit I had on the account. Instead of mailing me my refund check, they mailed me a form to fill out with my new phone carrier. There was no new carrier. We had moved out, which I had told them. 8 months later, I am still waiting for my refund. Worst customer service I have ever encountered in my life. When their phone message says "transferring you to a customer service rep", no one ever comes on the line and you are stuck waiting and waiting. I will never use IDT again.

I bought a Clear Cents prepaid phone card for $20. It advertised calls to the UK for 2.98 cents a minute (total 669 minutes for the card). Apparently after a couple weeks of using the card, the rate jumped astronomically. I had 14.00 left on the card. Dialed a UK number and was told I had 43 minutes for that call! I called customer service and she said the rate was now 63 cents a minute. Plus cheesy advertising blurps started to appear. Nothing "clear" about this calling card! False advertising.

I needed a calling card that would work in Costa Rica, as my 14-year-old was going to be there for eleven days.

I called IDT from the store to see if their calling card would work in Costa Rica. They gave me an access number of 900 809 143, and said it would work. I bought the card. My husband called the next day to verify the access number. He was told IDT doesn't serve Costa Rica, and that no one had ever called about that. She hung up on him.

I then called back and asked for the access number from Costa Rica. The representative verified that my card had been activated, but said no one had ever called asking if it was good in Costa Rica. She then hung up on me.

My 91-year-old mother has had IDT long distance for the past 10 years. On Saturday, her outgoing telephone service was not working. I contacted IDT and was told that she had reached her limit. I had never heard of such a thing and she had had higher bills in the past with no problems. I had looked up her account online before I called IDT, and her bill for that month had already been paid well before the due date, and before her phone service was interrupted.

I was informed by a rude service tech that nothing could be done until I spoke with a customer rep on Monday. When I tried to explain that that was unacceptable for a 91-year-old living alone, she told me she could still make local phone calls. This is no help to my mother who does not call anyone locally. I had asked the service tech if this was something new since she had had bills over this amount in the past, and she interrupted me saying "No, she had not", and I was looking at at bill in front of me that was over the amount in question from July 2010, but I somehow was disconnected from the service tech.

I choose not to call back, instead will try to talk to someone on Monday. In the meantime, my mother who lives alone has lost her lifeline for the entire weekend, and she does not understand since she pays her bills every month, timely and in full.

Please, I made a wrong scratch on my IDT 24 bought Calling card and so I cannot access my pin. Please, this is the card number 2-3531848539 and I will be happy if you can send me the PIN now to my mail, daniel******1@hotmail.com. Thank you.

I accepted a phone call from an IDT representative that used my current Gas and Electric provider's name, Con Edison, in an attempt to gain access to my account number. The representative mentioned “on behalf of Con Edison, I need to confirm your billing information in order for you to receive a credit due to you”, I replied and confirmed my address which he did read back to me, I replied with yes to my name and address. He then asked me to confirm my account number. I replied if you are calling me from Con Edison you should have that number in front of you, he replied unfortunately that is not how my computer works. He continued, I must enter it in for the computer to confirm my account number.

It appeared harmless, I proceeded to read my account number from a paper statement after the IDT representative confirmed my account number, he mentioned that he was with IDT and with this program I will be able to save an undisclosed amount of savings. I immediately asked who he was exactly, what company were he with and what program he signed me up for. He replied with, “I am with IDT Energy and you have not signed up for any program yet.”

I explained to the individual that I was most displeased with how he misrepresented himself and passing himself off as a direct representative of Con Edison. I informed him that I would be contacting Con Edison and inform them that of IDT conduct.

As I contacted Con Edison, they were pleased that I informed them of the actions by IDT and blocked my account from any process without my okay. I contacted IDT by redialing, a young lady answered. I explained the situation and informed her that I would be contacting consumer affairs, she immediately disconnected from her end.

We have had nothing but trouble with our phone for 5 years. We have had at least 15 different techs out to our house. When it rains really hard or the snow melts in the spring, our phone is all static. Cell phones don't work up here. IDT is our phone company, but Verizon owns the lines. I tried to explain to both companies my wife is fully disabled and has diabetes. She needs the phone at all times in case of an emergency. The only answer I got from IDT is they are doing all that is required. Usually, they send a tech a day later after the lines dry out. Verizon has said it might be different if we were Verizon customers. Our neighbors 2 doors down have the same trouble and they are Verizon customers. Verizon told them there aren't enough people on our road to justify replacing any lines. We have used countless amounts of gas and cell phone minutes driving down the road and sitting on hold to report the phone trouble. The phone line even malfunctioned once and I called 911 at 11:30 at night and we got a wake up from 2 state troopers.

IDT Long Distance Company Profile