1.23/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Last updated: April 20, 2018

266 HTC Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 20, 2018

I filed a claim for replacing my HTC10 on 11/3/2017 as it’s still within 1-year free replacement warranty because I accidentally broke my phone screen. I chose the advance exchange program and I was told I will receive a new phone about 1 month. The ticket number is ** (from the live chat) or ** (from an e-mail). A month later, I did not receive the new phone. I wrote another e-mail to HTC. No response this time. I had no other way and I need my phone to be functional appropriately soon. I found a store to fix the cracked screen for me. That costed me $180. Since then, I’d heard nothing from HTC. They even hold my credit card balance ($599 value) for more than 3 months. Today (4/19/2018) I received a phone call from someone who claimed to be from the HTC customer service.

It’s been more than 5 months since day 0. At first, the customer service staff told me that HTC will send me a new phone with a newer model, HTC U11, with no charge. I said, "Fine, I will take it." Then that person said, "You must still have your HTC 10." I said, “Sure I still have it”. Then he said I have to send my HTC10 back to the company so they can send a new phone after they received it. He emphasized, “This is company policy”. The attitude was quite rude and his English accent was kind of hard to understand. I did not agree because I need a phone at any time, and it’s currently working fine (I spent $180 to fix it). I asked, "Why not send the phone first as the program agreed then I will mail the old one back once I received it." That person repeated the same statement and tried to force me to send the phone to them first.

The call ended unpleasantly and I didn’t agree to send the phone back to HTC because it’s too suspicious. How can I trust what you said given that I never receive the phone you promised. How could I know you will send the phone to me if I send mine to you? Nevertheless, HTC, it’s you fail to fulfill the agreement, which originally, you said you will send me a new phone within 14-20 days. I have the original chat transcript, just in case if you request to see what you have agreed. I felt very disappointed after receiving that phone call. I really couldn’t believe that’s how HTC treats its loyal customer (I’ve bought more than 8 HTC phones). I will post this anywhere on cell phone related forums and report to BBB as well.

Original review: April 10, 2018

Be careful when purchasing these devices. I have had HTC ever since the first HTC Evo, and eventually they always have an issue, so does every other devices. The problem with HTC is that they only warranty their devices for a year which means anything that goes wrong after a year software or hardware problems you are stuck with the device unless you’re willing to shell out another seven to $900 for a new device.

I currently have the HTC 10 which now having Hardware problems getting hot while charging and powering down randomly. It’s a year and a half old and nobody can repair it. Contacted HTC and their repair department won’t even look at it because it’s over a year old. So technically after buying the device, anything goes wrong after a year which something always do you are basically stuck with the phone, even something simple as replacing a battery. Just something you should think about before making your purchase. I’m pretty much stuck with mine.

Get the news you need delivered right to you!

Join over 300,000 subscribers and receive the latest expert advice, consumer news, and recall notices in your inbox.

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: April 9, 2018

So, did not know about ongoing hardware issues with my HTC Bolt until after I purchased it. Fort question: why do they continue to see defective item sing knowing full well that they are all having serious screen/blank screen issues. Mine went completely black but I could hear sounds coming from my phone. Talked to Sprint and they refused to help, so talk to HTC after back and forth, finally proved I had just bought the phone brand new Oct 2018. Well January it went completely black, and HTC agreed to repair the phone. Sent it January and they received it at the facility January 8th.

It's now April 9 2018 and I have a case worker to "expedite" the process. They have all even nice but pretty much useless. They and Sprint knew about this phone's issues but yet continues to sell it!!! What's the use of a phone if the screen doesn't work or even go on at all? It's been known for a couple years but how they continue to sell these phones without recalling them to repair the issues is utterly ridiculous. My phone is probably sitting in someone's inbox with paperwork on top of it, still waiting for repair.

Original review: March 21, 2018

I have a HTC U11 and I've had 1 month. I need the squeeze function and saw the screen crack in my hand. It cracked from the volume key to the bottom of the phone. HTC say it's been dropped. I have had 4 HTC phones in the past. Never had a screen in any of them and they all still work. I want to know if this a common fault. Anyone who has one with a single crack from the volume key to the bottom of the phone please post on here. Thanks.

Original review: March 4, 2018

So I loved my HTC 10. But after 13 months the USB port fried my MoBo (or the internal memory became corrupted) and the phone was out of warranty. So after a few efforts to troubleshoot I decided to send it in. I had talked to three different individuals during that process. Two of which told me I could send it in and they'd quote me for the repair depending on what it was. The third was unaware that as apparently California residents are allowed to send their phones in for out of warranty repairs. They kept telling me, "Sorry, your phone is out of warranty and it cannot be repaired. We only fix warranty orders and I cannot create a ticket for this," and eventually they "realized" that they didn't see I was a California resident. I guess that's not something they allow in other states.

Anyway, I had lost my receipt from the post office with my tracking number, but after a week I had requested to return my phone if had not be delivered from the post office. I was up a creek without a paddle as it were and HTC's online repair tracker never updated my RMA ticket. Customer support didn't know where it was or when it would arrive (if it ever did) so basically I thought my phone was lost forever. Sent it out February 13th, came back to me March 2nd repaired. I never received an email confirming a repair or diagnosis but it came back repaired and wiped (as they told me it would be if they could fix it) and it wasn't a refurbished phone. I love their products, but was not a fan of their support. Thinking I'd never get the 10 back I bought the U11 and that arrived in 2 days. So that's why it's a 3 star for me. It's my equivalent of a mixed review.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about HTC?

Original review: March 3, 2018

I purchased my phone unlocked. Within 8 months, my HTC 10, after a security patch update, started to exhibit an issue where it would go into airplane mode on its own several times a week and would be stuck. Going back and forth with HTC customer care, resulted in reflashing the phone many times. I put up with it till September and many more support with HTC customer care. Finally they agreed to swap the phone and said it would take 4-6 weeks to get my phone back.

Since then I've been getting status updates, and their final answer was (2 months later), they have no phones to send me, they don't know when they'll have any phones, and they are not willing to credit, upgrade, or to do anything other than asking me to wait. I asked to get my phone back and they said it'll take another 4-6 weeks, and that they really don't know where it is. I am so disappointed with HTC as I've been a supporter of their products and with this experience and attitude, I will not buy their products. Now the question is, did I lose my phone by sending it in for RMA and will I ever get it back and just lost a lot of money? Is there anything we can do to get support?

Original review: Feb. 25, 2018

My HTC Bolt had a severe manufacturer defect in the screen that caused half of the screen to not show up at all. After three weeks of arguing with HTC that they are responsible for the repair since the phone is brand new they finally agreed to repair the device if I paid for shipping it to them. After another two weeks of waiting I get a repaired but badly scratched/scuffed phone back with SIM card missing.

Another round of arguing with HTC and they let me know that a SIM card is an "accessory" and not actually a part of the device so they decided to keep it and will not be returning the card to me. This meant another round of contacting Sprint so they could issue me a new SIM card and lock down the old one which is who knows were being used by some random repair person that decided to purposefully take the card from my device before mailing it back to me. I am utterly disgusted by both the repair facility and the customer service of HTC and I will never purchase another of their products.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2018

I bought a HTC ULTRA 11 on 2017 with UH OH protection plan. After 6 months of use I have an accident and screen was broken. Of course I requested the repair and HTC agree to do an advanced exchange" with additional cost. All this happened on Sept/2017. Today, Feb/2018 I contacted again HTC and they have the open ticket open but no time to solve this issue, they just said need more time or send my phone to on-site exchange but I cannot send my work tool. After 5 months I can't get my phone repaired. Agents are very kind but useless.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2018

Worst phone HTC 728 32 gb dual sim I have Purchased on Dec 2016. No proper response from service centre. After 1 year service centre people advise you to change the phone, they say, "No need to repair. Our advise is to change the phone." These are the responses we are getting from service centre. Worst battery life. In one year I have visited 2 times in service centre which they will keep your phone for 25 days each time.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

We purchased an HTC new phone in Nov 2017 and have had problems with it since day one. The phone kept on turning off on its own and when it was on and you swiped it froze and then screen would turn black. Finally one day the screen turned black and we were never able to turn phone back on even after we reset it and called HTC for help. On Nov 8, 2017 we sent phone back in for repair and as of today, Feb 16, 2018, they still haven't fixed it and refuse to give us a refund. I've called customer service many times and they tell me someone will be calling me back. But all they can say it that they are still trying to fix the phone.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

I had the same experience as others. Broken HTC M10 sent in for repair, never to be heard from again. After 3 months I called and got the same run around as the others report herein. When I first called for the repair they said it could take up to a month due to the hurricane that hit Houston. I called again at the two-month period and was told they were waiting on parts. This last time I called was at the 3-month mark. I referred the person at the call center to this website and told them I was on to them and I was filing a report with the Consumer Protection Branch of the Texas Attorney General as Houston is where I mailed the phone. During my call I asked them to either repair the phone or send me a new one. They would not commit to either option. They only said they would look into it and refer my call to an escalation specialist. I can't figure out why they do not provide periodic electronic updates.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2018

Sometime in towards the end of November in 2017 I ordered the HTC Vive and I was told they were out of stock. Then after not having it shipped for about 3 weeks I had to cancel the order because I had car problems. 4 days after I requested the cancellation they shipped the Vive. On the day it was supposed to be delivered I checked the shipment tracking and found that it was sent to the incorrect address. Now it is over 2 weeks later and I still have not received my refund.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2018

Same problem as everyone else. Broken HTC10, waiting for replacement phone since April 2017. I don't think they will ever do anything... I feel stupid writing anything here since HTC does not seem to care as they are dying.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2018

I really wish that I would have read the reviews and comments before I decided to send my phone to this bs company for a repair! So it's currently 1/2018 and I sent my HTC One A9 to the repair center in Houston on 11/2017. Like everyone else they told me it would be repaired in 10 days which is why I agreed to send the phone in. As of today I still have not received my phone back, and tomorrow will make TWO months that they have had my phone! I recently called my case manager assigned to my case and told him that, "I wanted my phone returned to me. I don’t care if you have fixed it or not. JUST SEND IT BACK!” I'm not mad anymore. At this point I’m pissed.

Like everyone else I have been calling and instant message almost every day and all I’m hearing is they have escalated the matter and they are waiting for the repair center to send the tracking number and when they do that someone will contact me. Unfortunately I’m convinced like others have said they have stolen my phone. I JUST WISH THERE WAS A REAL ANSWER FOR US CUSTOMERS THAT ARE STILL WAITING ON OUR PHONES TO BE RETURNED TO US. If anyone knows of a real solution help please!!

Original review: Jan. 13, 2018

With cell phone costing so much money, buyers need to beware of HTC. Three months ago, I called to activate my one-time cracked screen warranty within the first year of owning the phone and I haven't heard from them. The first time I called, they were very nice saying there is no problem and explained the process. After 3 weeks of waiting for the replacement phone to arrive, I was told that there was a billing address issue, which I corrected immediately.

Another 2 weeks go by and nothing. I continued to call them and have been given the runaround. Managers and supervisors cannot talk to customers, the case has been sent to corporate, I will get a call back from them. While I wait for them to "call back" or send the replacement phone, the power button stopped working. $500 dollars for a phone that can't last more than 12 months. Please spend your money elsewhere. This company will not honor their warranty or care about their customers!

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

Like so many people on here, my HTC Bolt started having screen malfunctions. I contacted HTC and they said it was a known issue and covered by warranty. They told me where to ship it and said it would only take a couple weeks. If unable to fix, they'd replace the phone. At that point, I was very satisfied with their service. They received my phone towards the end of Oct 2017 and it was in repairs at the beginning of Nov 2017, according to their online tracker.

That's when things went downhill. I periodically checked the tracker and it continued to show in that my phone was in repair. By mid-Dec 2017, I decided it was time to call. The customer service rep that I spoke to couldn't or wouldn't give me any info about my repair and simply said that my case would need to be escalated and that case manager would get back to me within 2-3 business days. I was asked for a 3 hour window in which they could call and was told to "keep the line open." I told them from 9am-12pm PST, because I have to give my work line, not having personal cell phone. The person repeated this info and we parted ways.

It takes about a week before someone calls, but they call at 6am, 3 hours earlier than the time window they asked for. The number was blocked and they left no actual information in the message. They simply said the phone is still in service and didn't give a number to call back. This was week between Christmas and New Year, my busiest time at work, and I didn't have time to call and explain my situation to 5 different people and sit on hold for 40 minutes, so I decided I'd wait for them to call back. About a week later on Jan 5, they did call for a second time, but again called 3 hours before my time window, from a blocked number and did not leave any info about my phone or how I can contact someone directly. I missed this call obviously, because I'm not at work at this time. Their call was followed up by an email a few hours later that read:

"We would like to inform you that we tried calling you line ** but we were routed to the voicemail. Please be advise that we are already coordinated your case to our repair facility (Wasn't this already done over 2 months ago?). If you would like to follow up on this case, please give us a return call within 24hrs of time (What number am I supposed to call? There's not even an 800 given in this email?). Our department is open from 9 AM to 6 PM EST, Mondays to Fridays. If we will not receive any response from you, we will complete the escalation task. (Wait, what? Are you trying to say that because you didn't reach me in the two times you called me, that you're going to cancel the escalation?!?!) Thank you for your patience." I immediately responded to the email, and voiced my frustration. I received an auto-response not long after that read: "Dear Customer, We received your message and we will be contacting you soon."

Since it was now the weekend, I waiting until the following week for a response from them. No calls or emails were received. I called on 1.10 to the general phone number and was eventually connected to customer service. After explaining my situation, the person said I'd need to talk to the case manager, but that he/she is not available now (go figure). I said that I then wanted to talk to her supervisor. I waited for a bit and when I was finally connected, this supervisor wouldn't do anything to assist me. He said he had to email the case manager and that they'd call me back soon. I asked to instead be placed on hold while he calls a supervisor in that department, and he said he could not because they do not have phone number to call and he can only reach them through email. I found that very hard to believe.

So I'm told again to wait for a response. It's going on 3 months that I've been without my phone and the phone's screen had been cutting in and out for 2 months prior to that. I at least had some use out of it then, but over the last 3 months I've been paying for an unlimited everything plan and there's no end in sight. To anyone reading all this, please do yourself a favor an never buy anything from HTC. They have forever lost my business and that of my family's. And I will actively dissuade anyone I know form every buying their phones.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

I purchased an HTC 10 and was told they would have it 7-10 days. It has now been 2 months and all I get is Fernando in the Philippines running interference and giving no real answers. Corporate number has not worked for over a month. I called my police today to report it stolen. They couldn't do anything unless I want to file civil suit. They did suggest I call Better Business Bureau and the Federal Trade Commission (1.202.326.2222). I filed a complaint there but they won't do much until the volume reaches a certain number... then we will be included in a class action lawsuit. So take the time to call. I sent my phone to Houston repair center (which has no phone number). So I was also told to call the Texas attorney general (1-800-621-0508). I filed complaint there and they said to also go online to these sites to file additional complaints. If enough of you take the time to actually do this maybe we can get our money back and shut this company down.

Updated on 3/15/2018: These people are a joke of a company. After 128 days they are still telling me same crap. "I'm so sorry sir...it is in repair...we are waiting for an outbound tracking number"...blah blah blah. They offer no loaner phone. I had purchase another phone in the meanwhile. HTC is the worst company. The Philippines call center has no communication where you send your phone in Texas. Texas eats phones and then the poor folks in the Philippines just stonewall until you give up. My phone had been worth 500 or 600 dollars, now it's probably down to about 400 just by sitting 4 months in their warehouse. Who knows what it does to the battery as well. Please don't purchase an HTC phone if it's not too late for you.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

This company doesn't stand by its customers or its products. I have been getting the runaround on a repair for over three months now and they will never give a straight answer. The company has no clue how to take care of business and is clearly just biding time till bankruptcy. If you let them steal your money you get worthless product in return.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

I've always use HTC phones but this is definitely the last time!! I bought an HTC A9 back in Oct 2016. The phone started having small problems here and there but I was still able to use it fine. In Oct 2017, it stopped recognizing my sim card and so I had to send it for repairs since I couldn't make calls. I sent them the phone right away and the repair was supposed to take 7-10 business days. January 2018, I am still waiting... I've been calling once a week since then but they can't tell me whats going on, no updates whatsoever!! All they tell me is to wait... But until when? I'm beyond frustrated! Never again!

Original review: Dec. 29, 2017

Just like the other reviews, my has HTC Bolt has crapped out on me and HTC will do nothing. My phone did the split screen malfunction. So I went to my carrier (Sprint) who told me that it would be 3 weeks to get any information and would have to be sent out for repairs and no loaner phone is available. I use my phone for work so that would not work for me. But looking back now I should have went this route. I contacted HTC told them of my problem and was instructed to restart the phone in safe mode. When I did the phone became unresponsive and the whole screen went black. Upon talking to a Sprint Technician this weekend he informed me that what I did created a system crash on the phone and that there is no repair for it. I initiated this with HTC on 11/24/2017.

I shipped it out on 11/27/2017 and they signed for it on 11/29/2017. I was told that I would have it back by 12/13/2017. It took them 10 days to show it in repair status. The "Escalation Department" (Rica) called me on 12/8/2017 to tell me that there were no notes or information could be given for the repair status. I have called almost every day since and have gotten the same response. I do get the 3 question survey at the end of the phone call and give them 0, a 1 and a 2.

Sprint was swapping people out of the HTC Bolt to a Samsung 7 at no charge. They have since discontinued that service. They will not let me upgrade to a new phone until I pay off the Bolt. Sprint should have took the initiative to call ALL HTC Bolt customers and swapped them into another phone since it is a known problem and they no longer carry HTC products. I am getting nowhere with either HTC or Sprint. I have been a loyal customer to both for several years now. Neither one of them know what customer service is or are willing to make it right. This sucks!

Original review: Dec. 18, 2017

Have a damaged HTC 10. Contacted their support via chat, and was told to send it in. Request initiated 10/21/2017. Shipped a day or two later. They acknowledged receipt of phone on 11/08/2017. It's now 12/18/2017 and no updates. I contacted support by chat once and was told to just wait. At this point, I've accepted the fact that they stole my phone and I will likely never get it back. I just want to put my complaint on the record. The sad thing is that I actually like the phone a lot, but I will never buy another device from HTC again.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2017

I've been a customer of HTC phones since 2010, and have kept my business with them since I love their phones. For the first time ever, I sent in my phone to be repaired, taking advantage of HTC's Uh-Oh protection. I contacted HTC in late September to get information about turnaround time, and other details to make sure I wanted to go through with it. I was told 14-20 business days, but it may take a bit longer since at the time the US was experiencing hurricanes in the south. I totally understand weather causing delays, and thought if I have to wait a month for my phone to be repaired that wasn't a problem.

Now I'm here, towards the end of December and I still don't have a phone. Apparently replacements are on backorder, and they have no timeline of when they're expected. I've been contacting HTC support once a week for a month, and my situation has been handed off to the "Escalations Team" who so far has done nothing. I can accept, and totally understand slight delays, but this is unacceptable. They've offered me no solution but to be patient and keep waiting and contacting them for updates. So here I am writing a review, so maybe someone else won't make the mistake of sending their phone in for repair. You lost a loyal customer HTC...

Original review: Dec. 14, 2017

Claim initiated to replace phone under Uh-Oh Protection on 10/31/2017. $599.00 hold put on my credit card on this date. To date, the replacement phone has still not been shipped. Every time I call they tell me they are waiting for a shipment from Taiwan...c'mon!! Oh they also had notes that indicated I was aware of the delay and that I was OK with it!! No one informed me of the delay until I called for the 10th time on 12/8. I was also given an "escalation specialist" back in November, who has done nothing!!! I owned HTC phones for a very long time, but will NEVER purchase another one again! Terrible customer service!

Original review: Dec. 12, 2017

My story is the same as the other 200 people here. They have had my HTC 10 phone for over 3 months and won't tell me anything. They won't let you talk to anyone useful. This company needs to be held accountable by law enforcement.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

Sent in HTC 10 in on 10/30/2017, still have no phone! Now they're saying I sent in my old HTC 9, which is ludicrous! The escalation process is a joke. A total of waste of time. I did everything exactly like repair ticket email instructed. They gave me a case manager who is lying to me. ** says the repair center has not finished after a month. No duh you don't even have the right phone according to you on the repair ticket. Horrible. Never again. Stick to the giants of the cellphone industry!!

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

I purchased HTC phone from Metro PCS. My mms carrier haven't worked. I can't send pictures. I haven't been wanting to complain but I already complain Metro PCS where I purchased it and they tried and tried to help fix my problem. Metro PCS told me it's HTC problem. It's been a year I haven't worked. ;(

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

I have sent my phone to HTC in August to get the Uh-Oh replacement. It is December now and they still did not send me a replacement. They are saying they don’t have this particular phone in stock. They also don’t know when they will get it. I asked them to send me another phone that has same value, they refused it, they also do not want to give me a refund. So almost 4 months without a phone. HTC, I was with you for many years, you ruined it.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

My phone was still under warranty as I had purchased it 360 days before it failed. On 10/1/17 my phone stopped charging. I took it to the Verizon store 2x within a few days and they were unable to fix it. I called HTC and they said they would not replace my phone because it was purchased through Verizon but they would repair it. I had to send it to them through the mail and they would repair it and send it back within 10 days. I sent my phone to HTC for repair on 10/29/17. They confirmed receipt of my phone on November 2. They have not sent it back, will not give me an expected repair date. I have called their "customer service" number 5 times in 3 weeks. Each time they state that my "case manager" will return my call. I have yet to hear from said case manager.

They most recently gave me a phone number for headquarters. A (425) number. When I called I was greeted by a recording saying that I had reached HTC headquarters and to please hold for the next available operator. I was placed on hold for a minute and then disconnected. That happened 5 times before I gave up on that number. December 4, 2017 and it has now been more than 5 weeks since I sent my phone and they still have not returned my phone or any of my attempts at reaching someone who can give me ANY information about my phone. I am at a loss as to what else I can do. How is this even legal?

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

Been loyal to HTC since the HTC One and into the Bolt. I can now safely say they are horrible phones now. Constant problems. Hard resets needed and HTC doesn't care at all. Unless you get your recalls repaired in the first year of owning the phone they are under no obligation to fix the pieces of crap they make. Do not buy them. Samsung may have had the battery issues but they are way better product for the same prices.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

My HTC 10 was involved in a bicycle accident and I placed a swap claim on 10/30. I was told they were having vendor problems and the replacement could take 14-20 days. 20 days later still no replacement. I chatted again and they said to contact them again in 10 days if a tracking number wasn't available. 10 days later no tracking number and another chat with HTC. Again they couldn't tell me when my device would be replaced. I asked to speak with a manager who told me the same thing. I pressed them for a phone number so I could talk to someone and after four requests they gave me 425-679-5318. I tried calling six times and each time there was an automated message asking me to hold while they transfer me to a representative. Each time after 40 seconds my call was disconnected. Anyone have any suggestions on how I can get this resolved?

Updated on 12/23/2017: It's been almost two months and like most everyone here I still don't know when my HTC 10 will be replaced. Contact them weekly and get no answer. Anyone know if legal action can be taken? The Uh Oh Protection was a service I paid for that HTC is not honoring.

HTC Company Information